04x21 - When the Levee Breaks

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Supernatural". Aired: September 2005 to November 2020.*

Moderators: thehoundandthebird, coco96

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Two brothers follow their father's footsteps as "hunters" fighting evil supernatural beings of many kinds including monsters, demons, and gods that roam the earth.

04x21 - When the Levee Breaks

Post by bunniefuu »

4.21 When the Levee Breaks

Air Date: 7 May 2009

Teaser

INT. Bobby's PANIC ROOM – DAY

Sam is inside the room, Dean just outside, talking through the little barred window in the door.

Sam: Okay. Let me out. This is not funny.

Dean: Damn straight.

Sam: Dean, come on. This is crazy.

Dean: No. Not until you dry out.

Sam: Look, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have lied to you. Just open the door.

Dean: You don't have to apologize. It's not your fault. It's not your fault that you lied to me over and over again. I get it now. You couldn't help it.

Sam: I'm not some junkie.

Dean: Really? I guess I've just imagined how strung out you've been lately.

Sam: You're actually trying to twist this into some kind of ridiculous drug intervention?

Dean: If it smells like a duck.

Sam: Dean, I'm not drinking the demon blood for kicks. I'm getting strong enough to k*ll Lilith.

Dean: Strong?

Sam: Yeah.

Dean: This is about as far away from strong as you can get. Try weak. Try desperate. Pathetic.

Sam: k*lling Lilith is what matters. Or are you so busy being self-righteous you forgot about her?

Dean: Oh, Lilith's gonna die. Bobby and I will k*ll her. But not with you.

Sam: You're not serious.

Dean: Congrats, Sammy. You just bought yourself a benchwarmer seat to the apocalypse.

Sam: Dean, look-no, wait-

Dean shuts the window cover.

Sam: Come back here. Dean! Let me out of here! Dean! Let me out of here! Let me out! Dean!

ACT ONE

Sam bangs on the door and circles the room; the room blurs. The light flickers.

Sam: Guys! Get down here! Something's coming!

ALASTAIR

Hello, Sam. It's a pleasure to see you again. Looks like I have you all to myself here. Goodness. How will we pass the time?

Sam is bound to a cross inside a devil's trap, gagged.

Sam: Don't. No, no, don't. Don't, don't. No-stop! Stop! Alastair-please. Please.

ALASTAIR

So polite all of a sudden. Very nice. I appreciate that.

Sam: No. Alastair, please. No, no-

Sam screams. He is neither gagged nor bound; he is on the cot in the middle of the devil's trap, arms over the open air on either side.

Sam: No. No. God, no! Please! Please, please. God!

INT. Bobby's LIVING ROOM – DAY

Bobby pours two glasses of whiskey and hands one to Dean.

Sam: Stop! Stop!

Dean: How long is this gonna go on?

Bobby: Here, let me look it up in my demon-detox manual. Oh wait. No one ever wrote one. No telling how long it'll take. Hell, or if Sam will even live through it.

The phone rings. Bobby sighs and answers.

Bobby: Hello. ...Suck dirt and die, Rufus. You call me again, I'll k*ll you.

Dean: What's up with Rufus?

Bobby: He knows.

The phone rings. Bobby answers.

Bobby: I'm busy, you son of a bitch. This better be important.

Sam realizes he's neither gagged nor bound; it surprises him.

Boy: The answer's yes. You're hallucinating.

Young Sam: That's right, it's me. Or I mean it's you.

Sam: I'm losing my mind.

Young Sam: Definitely.

Sam: What do you want?

Young Sam: An explanation. How could you do this to me? I thought we were gonna be normal.

Sam: I tried. I did. It didn't pan out that way. Sorry, kid.

Young Sam: 'sorry, kid'? That's what you have to say? It's all we ever wanted. We were so close. You got away from Dad. You quit hunting. You were gonna become a Lawyer and get married. Why'd you blow it?

Sam: Look. They k*lled Jessica.

Young Sam: Yeah. And if you hadn't run off with Dean, if you'd been there to protect her, she'd still be alive.

Sam: I know.

Young Sam: You think Jess would want you to turn into this? She loved you. You think she'd be happy you using her as an excuse?

Sam: I'm sorry. I am. But life doesn't turn out the way you thought when you were fourteen years old. We were never gonna be normal. We were never gonna get away. Grow up.

Young Sam: Maybe you're right. Maybe there's no escape. After all, how can you run from what's inside you?

Young Sam's eyes turn yellow.

Bobby: The news. The news ain't good.

Dean: This is what Rufus called about? 'Key West sees ten species go extinct'.

Bobby: Yep. Plus Alaska. Fifteen-man fishing crew all stricken blind, cause unknown. New York, teacher goes postal, locks the door, kills exactly sixty-six kids. All this in a single day. I looked them up. There's no doubt about it. They're all seals. Breaking. Fast.

Dean: How many are left?

Bobby: Who knows? Can't be many. Where the hell are your angel pals?

Dean: You tell me.

Bobby: I'm just wondering.

Dean: What?

Bobby: The apocalypse being nigh and all...is now really the right time to be having this little domestic drama of ours?

Dean: What do you mean?

Bobby: Well, I don't like this any more than you do, but Sam can k*ll demons. He's got a sh*t at stopping Armageddon.

Dean: So what? Sacrifice Sam's life, his soul, for the greater good? Is that what you're saying? Times are bad, so let's use Sam as a nuclear warhead?

Bobby: Look, I know you hate me for suggesting it. I hate me for suggesting it. I love that boy like a son. All I'm saying is maybe he's here right now instead of on the b*ttlefield because we love him too much.

Sam sits crosslegged on the floor of the room and looks around. The room blurs in and out of focus. Sam spots the pitcher of water and tries to get it; he has to brace himself on the cot to get off the floor.

Woman: Poor baby.

Sam looks up, startled.

Sam: Mom.

Mary is wearing a white nightgown with a large bloodstain.

Mary: Sam. You look just awful.

Sam laughs.

Sam: Let's hear it. Go ahead.

Mary: What do you mean?

Sam: You're disappointed. You never thought I'd turn out this way. I'm a piss-poor excuse for a son. Your heart is broken. Am I close?

Mary: Not at all. You're doing the right thing, Sam. What you're doing is brave. You're not being crazy, you're being practical. Sam, I am so proud of you.

Sam: But-but Dean-

Mary: Your brother doesn't understand. I was raised a hunter from a long line. We understand that there are gonna be hard choices. And we do what we have to to get the job done. Yes, our family is cursed. But you-you have the power to turn it into a gift. You can use it against them.

Sam: For revenge?

Mary: No, for justice. I know how scared you are.

Sam: What's in me, Mom, it's-

Mary: Evil. And you know it.

Sam: What if it's stronger than me? Look at me. What if Dean's right?

Mary: Dean can never know how strong you are, because Dean is weak. Look at what he's done to you. Locking you in here? He's terrified. He's in over his head. You have to go on without him. You have what it takes. You have to k*ll Lilith.

Sam: Even if it kills me.

Mary: Make my death mean something. I'm counting on you, Sam. Don't let anyone or anything get in your way. Not even Dean.

Mary kisses Sam and vanishes.

EXT. Bobby's SALVAGE YARD – NIGHT

Dean: Well, it's about time. I've been screaming myself hoarse out here for about two and a half hours now.

Castiel: What do you want?

Dean: You can start with what the hell happened in Illinois.

Castiel: What do you mean?

Dean: Cut the crap. You were gonna tell me something.

Castiel: Well, nothing of import.

Dean: You got ass-reamed in heaven but it was not of import?

Castiel: Dean, I can't. I'm sorry. Get to the reason you really called me. It's about Sam, right?

Dean: Can he do it? k*ll Lilith, stop the apocalypse?

Castiel: Possibly, yes. But as you know, he'd have to take certain steps.

Dean: Crank up the hell-blood regimen.

Castiel: Consuming the amount of blood it would take to k*ll Lilith would change your brother forever. Most likely, he would become the next creature that you would feel compelled to k*ll. There's no reason this would have to come to pass, Dean. We believe it's you, Dean, not your brother. The only question for us is whether you're willing to accept it. Stand up and accept your role. You are the one who will stop it.

Dean: If I do this, Sammy doesn't have to?

Castiel: If it gives you comfort to see it that way.

Dean: God, you're a d*ck these days.

Dean walks a few steps away and sighs.

Dean: Fine, I'm in.

Castiel: You give yourself over wholly to the service of God and his angels?

Dean: Yeah, exactly.

Castiel: Say it.

Dean: I give myself over wholly to serve God and you guys.

Castiel: You swear to follow his will and his word as swiftly and obediently as you did your own father's?

Dean: Yes, I swear. Now what?

Castiel: Now you wait, and we call on you when it's time.

ACT TWO

Sam sits on the floor, twitching. Black veins spread across his palms and up his arms. He gets up and looks in the mirror; black veins spread across his face.

Sam: Guys! Help!

Sam: Bobby! Dean! Help! Hey! Hey! Guys! Guys! Help! Dean!

Bobby: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you willingly signed up to be the angels' bitch?

Dean looks at him.

Bobby: I'm sorry. You prefer 'sucker'? After everything you said about them, now you trust them?

Dean: Come on, give me a little credit, Bobby. I've never trusted them less. I mean, they come on like shady politicians from planet Vulcan.

Bobby: Then why in the hell did you-

Dean: Because what other option do I have? It's either trust the angels or let Sammy trust a demon?

Bobby: I see your point.

Dean: You hear that?

Bobby: Yeah, that's a little too much nothing.

Dean and Bobby hurry to the basement and open the window in the door. Sam is on the floor of the panic room, having a seizure.

Dean: What if he's faking?

Bobby: You really think he would?

Dean: I think he'd do anything.

Sam is slammed against the wall by an invisible force.

Bobby: That ain't faking.

They throw open the door and charge in to get Sam down and pin him to the cot.

Bobby: We're gonna have to tie him down for his own safety. Dean? You with me? Dean! Before he has another fit.

Dean: Yeah, yeah. Let's just get it over with.

Sam, calm now, discovers he's been chained to the cot. He sits up.

Dean: We had to. The demon blood was flinging you all over the room. Tell me something, Sam. Why did you do this to yourself?

Sam: You know why.

Dean: Right. 'k*ll Lilith'. The big excuse. But why? What, revenge? Right?

Sam: Of course.

Dean: Revenge for what? For sending me to hell? Did you happen to notice I'm back? Alive and kicking. So what's the point?

Sam: Point? How about 'stop the damn apocalypse'?

Sam is addressing an empty room.

Dean: My gig. Not yours. The angels said so, remember? God picked me, man. So you got any other fantastic excuses? Hmm?

Bobby: I'm gonna ask one more time. Are we absolutely sure we're doing the right thing?

Dean: Bobby, you saw what was happening to him down there. The demon blood is k*lling him.

Bobby: No, it isn't. We are.

Bobby: I'm sorry. I can't bite my tongue any longer. We're k*lling him. Keeping him locked up down there. This cold-turkey thing isn't working. If-if he doesn't get what he needs, soon, Sam's not gonna last much longer.

Dean: No. I'm not giving him demon blood. I won't do it.

Bobby: And if he dies?

Dean: Then at least he dies human!

Dean: I know why you really drink that blood, Sam.

Sam: Just leave me alone.

Dean: Makes you feel strong. Invincible. A big bad wolf in a world of little pigs.

Sam: No. You're wrong, Dean.

Dean: It's more than that, isn't it? It's because your whole life, you felt different. Am I right?

Sam: Stop.

Dean: Oh, I hit a little close to home, huh? Not different because you were some lonely kid or because of your weirdo family.

Sam: Stop it.

Dean: Because you're a monster.

Sam: Shut up! Just-shut. The hell. Up.

Dean: You were always a monster. And you only feel right when you're sucking down more poison and more evil.

Sam rattles his chain.

Dean: I would die for him in a second, but I won't let him do this to himself. I can't. I guess I found my line. I won't let my brother turn into a monster.

Dean: Monster, Sam. You're a monster.

Sam: Dean, no.

Dean: And I tried so hard to pretend that we were brothers. That you weren't one of the filthy things that we hunt. But we're not even the Same species. You're nothing to me.

Sam: Don't say that to me. Don't you say that to me.

Sam looks around. The room is empty.

The lighting changes: nightfall.

The cuff on Sam's left arm snaps open, then his left ankle, then the other two. The door opens. Sam sits up, staring; he didn't do this.

Sam: Hello?

Sam gets up and slips out the door.

Sam: Someone here?

Sam hurries quietly out of the basement without noticing Castiel behind the stairs. From a distance, Castiel closes and locks the panic room door.

EXT. CITY RIVERFRONT – NIGHT

Castiel stands at a railing, looking over the water. The streetlights flicker. He turns; Anna is there.

Anna: What did you do?

Castiel: You shouldn't have come, Anna.

Anna: Why would you let out Sam Winchester?

Castiel: Those were my orders.

Anna: Orders? Cas, you saw him. He's drinking demon blood. It's so much worse than we thought. Dean was trying to stop him.

Castiel: You really shouldn't have come.

Two ANGELS appear on either side of Anna. White light illuminates Castiel; when it is gone, so are the other three ANGELS. Castiel turns back to the river.

EXT. Bobby's SALVAGE YARD – NIGHT

Sam is working on stealing a car. A g*n cocks. Sam turns.

Bobby: Uh-uh, Sam. The only place you're going is back inside with me.

Sam: No.

Bobby: Damn it, boy.

Sam: You won't sh**t me, Bobby.

Bobby: Don't test me.

Sam: You won't do it. You can't do it.

Bobby: We're trying to help you, Sam.

Sam takes hold of Bobby's shotgun so that Bobby can't aim anywhere but point-blank at Sam.

Sam: Then sh**t.

A long pause. Sam takes the g*n and knocks Bobby down, then throws the g*n on the ground and returns to hotwiring the car. He drives off.
ACT THREE

INT. Bobby's PANIC ROOM – NIGHT

Bobby and Dean unlock and open the panic room door.

Dean: How the hell did he get out?

Bobby: Maybe he had help. Room full of busted devil's traps.

Dean: Demons? Ruby.

Bobby: That'd be my guess.

Dean: How did she even touch the door?

Bobby: You think she's got the mojo?

Dean: I didn't think so. I don't know, man.

Bobby: What difference does it make? How he got gone ain't as important as where he got gone to.

Dean: Well, I'll tell you one thing. At this point I hope he's with Ruby.

Bobby: Why?

Dean: 'Cause k*lling her's the next big item on my to-do list.

Bobby: I thought you were on call for angel duty.

Dean: I am on call. In my car, on my way to m*rder the bitch.

Dean leaves the room.

Bobby: One thing.

Bobby: Sam don't wanna be found, which means he's gonna be damn near impossible to find.

Dean: Yeah, we'll see.

INT. NICE Hotel ROOM – DAY

Sam sits in the corner, shaking. He gets up. Someone knocks on the door. He answers; it's Ruby.

Ruby: Honeymoon suite, really? I'm flattered.

Sam shuts the door behind her.

Sam: Did you bust me out of that room?

Ruby: How could I, Sam? The whole thing's engineered to bite me in the ass.

Sam: Then how did I get out of there?

Ruby: I don't know. I don't wanna know. You're out. That's all that matters. I'm glad you're here.

Sam: Yeah? Where the hell have you been?

Ruby: I got here as quick as I could.

Sam: I mean the past three weeks. I've been calling you.

Ruby: I've been pretty deep in it trying to dig out Lilith. Sometimes I can't sit around and check my voicemail. I'm sorry you're hurting. Really. I had no idea that Dean would do that to you.

Sam: You and me both.

Ruby: You didn't book this joint just to impress me, did you?

Sam: Dean's gonna come after me. And he knows my habits, my aliases, everything. He knows exactly which motel I'd pick.

Ruby: Hence the room.

Sam: Whatever it takes to shake him.

Ruby: It won't be easy. I mean, he knows you better than anyone.

Sam: Not as well as he thinks.

Ruby: You know, it's sad.

Sam: What?

Ruby: That things have gotten this bad between you two.

Ruby strokes Sam's hair. Sam slams Ruby down onto the bed and leans over her, moving down her body until he finds the Kn*fe in her ankle sheath. He draws it and cuts her arm, then leans down to suck her blood. She smirks.

EXT. Bobby's SALVAGE YARD – DAY

Bobby: Police found my car. Abandoned in an alley in Jamestown, North Dakota.

Dean: He's switching up. Any other cars stolen in Jamestown?

Bobby: Two. 1999 Honda Civic, blue. Nice and anonymous, like Sam likes.

Dean: What was the other one?

Bobby: White oh-five Escalade with custom rims. It's a neon sign.

Dean: You're right. He'd never take that. Which is exactly what he did.

Bobby: You think?

Dean: I know that kid. All right, I'll head in that direction. You stay here, ride the police databases. We gotta find him quick.

INT. HONEYMOON SUITE – DAY

Ruby is lying in bed next to Sam, both of them wearing fewer layers than earlier.

Ruby: Your appetite's gotten much bigger.

Sam: What's that supposed to mean?

Ruby: Sam, relax. It's okay. It's good. Just means you're getting stronger, that's all. It means you're strong enough to k*ll Lilith. Just in time, too, because the final seals are breaking.

Sam: How many are left?

Ruby: Three...two...

Sam: What? Where are the angels?

Ruby: Screwing the pooch, wherever they are. The point is, it's looking more and more like we're getting down to the final seal. And I found out something big.

Sam: What?

Ruby: Seal sixty-six. It can't be broken by just any demon. Apparently, only Lucifer's first can do it.

Sam: Lucifer's first?

Ruby: Demon Sunday School story. God prefers humans to angels. Lucifer gets jealous and then he gets creative. And he twists and tempts a human soul into the very first demon as a 'screw you' to God. It's what got him locked up in the first place.

Sam: That was Lilith?

Ruby: She's way older than she looks.

Sam: Wait. So if Lilith is the only one who can break the final seal, if I get to her in time-

Ruby: Then Lucifer never busts out of his cage. Exactly.

Sam: Great. You figure out where she is?

Ruby: The bitch can hide. But I finally have a lead on someone who might be able to help us. I closed in on a member of Lilith's entourage. You might call her a personal chef.

Sam: Chef? Seriously? What does she eat?

Ruby: You don't wanna know.

INT. HOSPITAL

INTERCOM

X-ray head to Radiology.

Blonde Nurse

Hear about that horrible thing at St. Paul's?

BRUNETTE Nurse

No.

Blonde Nurse

One of the neonatal nurses walked right off the unit with two babies.

BRUNETTE Nurse

You are kidding me.

Blonde Nurse

Swear to God. Worked there seventeen years. Then one day, out of the blue, she just does it.

The NURSES enter the baby-filled nursery.

BRUNETTE Nurse

That's just horrifying.

Blonde Nurse

Now she's saying that she doesn't even remember what happened. Like she was possessed.

BRUNETTE Nurse

Heh, nuts.

Blonde Nurse

I know. Who could ever lay a finger on them?

BRUNETTE Nurse

I know. They're just delicious.

The BRUNETTE Nurse's eyes go demon-black.

ACT FOUR

INT. HONEYMOON SUITE – NIGHT

Sam: So our demon gourmet nurse. You sure?

Ruby: She'll be there. Graveyard shift tomorrow night. Meantime, if you're gonna be strong enough to k*ll Lilith, you're gonna need more than I can give you now.

Sam sighs.

Ruby: Sam. Come on. It's okay.

Sam: I know I need more. I get it. I know it's okay. I just-I wish he'd trusted me, you know?

Ruby: Sorry.

Sam: I just hope...you know, when all this is over...I hope we can fix things.

INT. Bobby's HOUSE – NIGHT alternating with INT. Dean's CAR – NIGHT

Bobby: Cops found the Escalade in a ditch outside Elk River.

Dean: How far away am I?

Bobby: A couple of hours. I pulled up a weather map, made some calls. There's a town not far from there, Cold Spring. Lighting up with demon sign.

Dean: A good place to look.

Bobby: Hey, listen.

Bobby: Us finding Sam? It's gotta be about getting him back, not pushing him away.

Dean: Right.

Bobby: I know you're mad, Dean. I understand. You got a right to be, but I'm just saying. Be good to him anyway. You gotta get through to him.

Dean hangs up.

INT. MOTEL HALLWAY – NIGHT

Sam leaves the motel room. Dean, hidden, watches him go, then enters the room.

Ruby is still in the room; she and Dean fight. Sam reenters and defends her.

Sam: No. Let her go. Just take it easy.

Dean: Well, it must've been some party you two had going, considering how hard you tried to keep me from crashing it. Well, solid try, but here I am.

Sam: Dean, I'm glad you're here. Look. Let's just talk about this.

Dean: Soon as she's dead, we can talk all you want.

Sam: Ruby, get out of here.

Dean: No, she's not going anywhere.

Ruby makes her escape. Sam watches her go.

Dean: She's poison, Sam.

Sam: It's not what you think, Dean.

Dean: Look what she did to you. I mean, she up and vanishes weeks at a time, leaves you cracking out for another hit-

Sam: She was looking for Lilith.

Dean: That is French for manipulating your ass ten ways from Sunday.

Sam: You're wrong, Dean.

Dean: Sam, you're lying to yourself. I just want you to be okay. You would do the Same for me. You know you would.

Sam: Just listen.

Sam raises his hand, realizes he's still holding Ruby's Kn*fe that he took from Dean, and tosses the Kn*fe on the bed.

Sam: Just listen for a second. We got a lead on a demon close to Lilith. Come with us, Dean. We'll do this together.

Dean: That sounds great. As long as it's you and me. Demon bitch is a dealbreaker. You kiss her goodbye, we can go right now.

Sam: I can't.

Dean turns away, nodding.

Sam: Dean, I need her to help me k*ll Lilith. I know you can't wrap your head around it, but maybe one day you'll understand. I'm the only one who can do this, Dean.

Dean turns back around.

Dean: No, you're not the one who's gonna do this.

Sam: Right, that's right, I forgot. The angels think it's you.

Dean: You don't think I can?

Sam: No. You can't. You're not strong enough.

Dean: And who the hell are you?

Sam: I'm being practical here. I'm doing what needs to be done.

Dean: Yeah? You're not gonna do a single damn thing.

Sam: Stop bossing me around, Dean. Look. My whole life, you take the wheel, you call the sh*ts, and I trust you because you are my brother. Now I'm asking you, for once, trust me.

Dean: No. You don't know what you're doing, Sam.

Sam: Yes, I do.

Dean: Then that's worse.

Sam: Why? Look, I'm telling you-

Dean: Because it's not something that you're doing, it's what you are! It means-

Dean cuts himself off.

Sam: What? No. Say it.

Sam has tears in his eyes.

Dean: It means you're a monster.

Sam nods. A tear falls from Dean's eye; Sam doesn't see it before he punches Dean. Dean goes down hard, then gets back up and watches Sam for a moment before punching back.

ACT FIVE

Sam and Dean fight, Sam dominating. Anything in the room that can break does. Dean hits the floor and doesn't get up. Sam pins him down, choking him, then lets go.

Sam: You don't know me. You never did. And you never will.

Sam walks away.

Dean: You walk out that door, don't you ever come back.

Sam stops at the door and turns back, then leaves.