02x10 - Much Too Much

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

02x10 - Much Too Much

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

2x10: Much Too Much

Original Airdate: 11/27/2005

Written by: Harry Werksman & Gabrielle Stanton

Directed by: Wendey Stanzler

(Opens with two people hurriedly taking each other's clothes off walking down the hallway of someone's home)

MVO: When you were a kid, it was Halloween candy.

(Meredith is with some guy. Burke and Cristina are making out passionately as they manoeuvre themselves into Burke's apartment)

MVO: You hid it from your parents and ate it until you got sick.

(Cristina loses her jacket as Burke continues kissing her)

Cristina: So, this is where you live?

Burke: Oh hell.

(He picks her up and carries her to what I'm assuming is his bedroom. Cristina lets out a burst of laughter)

MVO: In college it was the heady combo of youth, tequila and well you know...

(Izzie and Alex are entering the townhouse from a date. They start making out passionately, losing clothes along the way as they make their way up stairs)

(Addison and Derek are in the shower together. Derek moves forward and kisses her)

MVO: As a surgeon you take as much of the good as you can get... because it doesn't come around nearly as often as it should.

(Meredith is making out with what appears to be a different guy in her bedroom)

MVO: Cause good things aren't always what they seem.

(Addison rolls away from Derek and lying beside him in their bed. Meredith drops herself beside her current bed mate an Indian guy named Steve Murphy looking a little unsatisfied and dazed? Derek has the same unsatisfied look. Addison is breathless and smiling.)

Addison: That was amazing.

Derek (looks like he's lying): Yeah.

MVO: Too much of anything, even love is not always a good thing.

(Meredith and Steve in her bed. Meredith turns away from Steve so her back is facing him. He looks at her)

Steve: Did you... (he nods fervently even though she can't see)

Meredith: Yeah, I did.

(Seattle Scene)

(Meredith's room)

(Meredith is sitting in pink robe on a chair next to her bed. Steve is still in bed asleep. She's on the phone to Cristina)

Meredith: There's a boy in my bed.

Cristina: What's his name?

Meredith: Um, Steve.

(Cristina is brushing her teeth at Burke's apartment. She leaves the bathroom and starts exploring the apartment still brushing her teeth)

Cristina: Where'd you find him?

Meredith: Joe's.

Cristina: Hmm. Guess where I am?

Meredith: Where?

Cristina: Burke's apartment. He went to the hospital. (She makes it to the kitchen and spits into the sink) He left me here alone.

Meredith: You're going through his stuff aren't you?

Cristina: Oh! There's no stuff to go through. It's a freak show. I mean you could do surgery in here.

(Cristina walks into his adjoined dining/living room which indeed is impeccable. Everything has a spot and there seems to be a lack of personal mementoes. Cristina notices his bookshelf and walks up close in horror)

Cristina: Oh! He arranged his books using the Dewey decimal system. Mer, I'm scared.

(Meredith is still sitting on her chair)

Meredith: Get out. Get out of the house now.

(Steve who has woken up now but is still in bed hears this and turns to Meredith)

Steve: Who you talking to?

(Meredith looks at him surprised he's awake)

Meredith (to Cristina): Uh, I gotta go.

(She flips the phone closed and stands up)

Meredith: Uh I have to go take a shower and when I get back you won't be here so um, goodbye... Steve.

(She nods and walks out of the bedroom)

(Cristina is finishing getting ready and is in the kitchen looking for food in the fridge. She decides against it and closes the door. She notices a coffee maker and moves to grab the pot and a mug next to it. She picks up the mug and it jingles. So she reaches in and pulls out a key. She notices the yellow bit of paper that was under the mug and picks up to read it. The note reads:

C,

I had a key made for you.

B.

Cristina is left with a look of shock on her face
)

(Meredith's kitchen where George walks in with his laundry basket. Izzie is already in their making breakfast for herself. George starts sorting his laundry at the table)

George: Well another sleepless night in Seattle.

Izzie: Yeah, who was it this time? Hairy back guy?

George: You know who I miss? Inappropriate facial hair guy. You know he did his own dishes?

Izzie: Oh tattooed ass guy made coffee.

George (makes a face): Yeah he was a keeper.

(Izzie notices this and gives George a knowing look.)

George: What? (Izzie raises her eyebrows at him) What? Meredith? (Izzie shrugs as if to say yup) I am over her.

Izzie (disbelievingly): Ok.

(George sits down at the table)

George: I am.

Izzie: Yeah I can see that.

George: But is she trying to set some kind of record?

(Izzie moves her breakfast to the table and joins George)

Izzie: At least she has a goal.

(Feet can be heard running down the stairs)

Izzie: Oh!

(George and Izzie both look to Steve moving hurriedly pass through the hallway and through the front door)

George: Oh he's new.

Izzie: And I shall name him 'Running Guy'. (she smiles) Hmm.

George: You know who I heard Alex come home with last night? (eyes wide at Izzie grinning) You!

Izzie: I don't want to talk about it. (George chuckles) Actually I really do want to talk about it. But he doesn't want to talk about because there were... technical difficulties.

George: What?

Izzie: You know he didn't... (She makes a gesture to show her hand going flop) he was...

(George gets a look of absolute amazement and glee on his face)

George (chuckles grinning): No.

Izzie: Stop it. (George continues to laugh) You can't say anything!

(George continues laughing)

Izzie: George, stop it!

George: I, I'm gonna at least think about making fun of him next time I see him.

Izzie: He said it never happened before.

George: Well that's what we all say. (Izzie raises her eyebrows) And I mean they. That's what they all say.

Izzie: I don't know. Maybe this relationship just isn't meant to be. I mean I just, just need some sex George. You know just (she grabs his t-shirt and pulls her close to him) I need sex now. You know what I mean?

George: No matter how hard you beg, I am not doing you.

(He smiles and Izzie lets out a smile)

(SGH)

(Richard's office. Addison is signing the papers of her contract at a table while Patricia stands over her shoulder. Richard is sitting at his desk watching)

Patricia: Nice to have you on board.

Addison: Thank you, Patricia.

(Patricia takes the papers and wanders off. Addison puts her white coat on stands in front of Richard's desk)

Richard: Your own service. State of the art NICU. And a salary that'll make you one of the highest paid surgeons in the northwest. You better be worth it.

Addison: Quintuplets, Richard.

Richard: That's a goal.

Addison: Mother-to-be checked in this morning.

Richard: Nothing I like more than a high profile case.

Addison: Well don't go calling the press in yet. It's an extremely high risk pregnancy. At least 3 of the babies are surgical. In fact I'm gonna need to pull people from all departments.

Richard: You're my star. Whatever you need.

(He stands up and they shake hands)

(Mr. Robert Martin is lying in the CT scanner)

Robert: Is there a meal service on this flight?

(Alex is standing in the viewing room with Mr. Martin's chart. A CT tech guy is there at the comp. Derek walks in and Alex hands him the chart)

Alex: Robert Martin, 45, collapsed and hit his head causing a small subdural hemorrhage. He also presents with uncontrolled hand movement and delirium. He's alcohol and tox screens were negative but his sodium levels were 112.

Derek: Hmm. A little too low for my taste.

Robert (calls out): Hey! Hey!

Derek (speaks into the mic): Mr. Martin, how are you doing in there?

Robert: I'm still waiting on that drink. Are you the stewardess?

(Alex and Derek chuckle)

Derek: We're, we're called flight attendants now.

Robert: Hey! Hey!

Derek (points to the computer screen with scans of Mr. Martin's brain): Oh there it is right there. On His pituitary. It's a Rathke's Cleft Cyst right there.

Alex: So he's hyponatremic.

Derek (nods): Yeah.

Alex: Excessive thirst is a common side effect. The water is what's been screwing his sodium level.

Derek: That's what's causing his delirium. So how do you ah treat hyponatremia?

Alex: Ah, 3% hypertonic saline solution IV, 300ccs over 3 hours.

Derek (hands back the chart): Great. Get him back to his room. Call me when he stabilizes. Nicely done Dr. Karev.

(Derek leaves)

Robert (calls out): Hey! When does the movie start?

(Dorie Russell the pregnant woman with the quintuplets is being checked on by Addison. Izzie is there watching. Tom Russell, Dorie's husband is on his mobile phone standing in the doorway)

Addison: Dorie, this is Dr. Stevens. She will be working with us on this case.

Dorie: Oh, the more the merrier.

Izzie (chuckles): Apparently. How far along are you?

Dorie: 32 weeks.

Addison (to Izzie): How long is the normal gestation period?

Izzie: 40 weeks but with twins ah 36 weeks is considered full term so with quints 34 weeks is considered extremely successful.

(Addison smiles at Izzie)

Tom (on phone): Just give him some acetaminophen. It's, it's in the medicine cabinet.

Dorie: I plan on going on 36 weeks. (to her stomach) No one is leaving this uterus until I say so.

Addison: Power of positive thinking, huh?

Dorie: Well that, bed rest and all the medical care you can give me.

Tom (on phone): Uh we're with the doctors now. So, I'll talk to you later. Ok. Bye. (he hangs up his phone and walks further into the room. Speaks to Dorie) Uh Adam's got a fever which means soon they'll all have fever. I don't think my mom's gonna manage.

Dorie: Ah we have four year old boys at home. Adam, Oliver and Graham.

Izzie (shocked): Triplets? You already have triplets?... I guess when you take those fertility pills you should read the fine print.

Addison (admonishing tone): Dr. Stevens.

Izzie: Uh, oh I'm sorry. I meant it as...

Dorie (interrupts): It's okay, I'm used to it. I just really wanted a girl.

Tom: Yeah, we just didn't bank on 5 girls.

Dorie (smiling): But think of all the clothes and all that pink cuteness.

Tom: Oh honey that's your happy place, remember?

Dorie: Oh yeah.

(Tom leans in for a kiss and hug. Addison moves towards Izzie and speaks to her privately)

Addison: Try not to say everything that pops into your brain.

(She hands Izzie Dorie's chart and walks out of the room)

(SGH Entrance)

(Meredith and Cristina are sitting in their scrubs outside on a bench with take-away coffee cups)

Meredith: They always look so sad when I kick them out. (They both chuckle) Seriously, why do guys not understand that when you pick them up in a bar and take them home for sex, that there are no picket fences or kids in your future.

(Cristina sighs and reaches into her pocket and pulls out the key Burke gave her, holding it up for Meredith to see)

Meredith (smiles): Burke keyed you?

Cristina: Got freaking keyed before coffee.

Meredith (chuckles): What is wrong with them?

Cristina: They're like these 1950s debutantes, one dance and there's a sh*t g*n to your head.

(Steve, Meredith's one night stand from this morning walks up to Meredith and Cristina holding a jacket in front of his lower abdomen region looking extremely discomfited)

Steve: Meredith.

(Meredith looks up at Steve and gets a look of pure shock on her face)

Steve: You work here?

Meredith: What are you doing here Steve?

Steve: I'm having a little problem.

Cristina (to Meredith): Steve, Steve?

Steve: Actually I'm having a big problem.

(He moves the jacket to the side. Cristina notices immediately as she's looking straight that way but Meredith doesn't as she's still looking up at Steve's face)

Meredith: What?

Cristina: Steve! Hi! Cristina.

(Cristina turns her gaze back to his face. He gestures hi back. Cristina turns back to look at his lower body half)

Steve: Ever since you and I... (Meredith looks at Cristina and then finally notices down below and does a double take) it won't go away.

Meredith (horrified): Cristina!

Cristina: What? It's right there looking at me.

(Steve places the jacket in front of his body again)

Cristina (laughs): There are so many things I could say right now. (she pats Meredith's shoulder) Champ.

(SGH)

(Meredith and Cristina are sneaking Steve down a hospital hallway. Steve is still holding the jacket in front of him)

Steve: Do you think it's serious? It hurts like it's serious.

Cristina: You realize this is completely insane.

Meredith: Well we have to stash him somewhere till we figure out what's wrong with him. I can't have the whole hospital finding out.

Cristina: I am not going down for this. (Bailey pokes her head around the corner a few feet away) It's not my fault you broke this guy's penis.

Bailey (calls out): Broke his what? (They stop and then try to keep on walking) Uh hey! (they stop again and she walks up to them) Don't make me chase you down. I'm growing a person here.

Cristina (looks pointedly at Meredith): I gotta check on some labs.

(Meredith gives Cristina a death look and Cristina walks off. Bailey turns to Meredith for an explanation who stands there awkwardly)

(Izzie is alone with Dorie in her hospital room. Izzie is looking at the heart readings for the quintuplets)

Dorie: How's it look?

Izzie: Not bad.

Dorie: Not bad?

Izzie: Not bad is pretty good when you have 5 babies in your uterus.

(Dorie makes a slight sigh of pain. Izzie looks at her)

Dorie: Ah. It's Kate. She kicks me so hard. It's like a belly burn every time.

Izzie (raises her eyebrows but looking at Dorie's patient file): You've named them already?

Dorie: I know you think I'm crazy. Or maybe just a little bit stupid?

Izzie: Mrs. Russell, I'm sorry if I've done something to offend you.

Dorie: The only thing that will offend me is if you pretend that you haven't been judging me since the minute we met. (Izzie is silent) We're gonna be spending a lot of time together so we may as well be honest, right?

Izzie: If you had reduced the fetuses, even by two, the other three could've been carried longer, been more developed and born healthier.

Dorie: And you're about the 16th doctor that's told me that.

(Izzie is quiet. Dorie reaches out and grabs Izzie's arm. She places Izzie's hand on her stomach)

Dorie: This one up here. This is Charlotte. She's the stubborn one. Lodged under my rib cage. Won't budge.

(She moves Izzie hand to another part of her stomach)

Dorie: Now over here, Lucy. She's a badass. If she gets kicked, she kicks back.

(She moves Izzie's hand again. Izzie is smiling)

Dorie: Emily. She has the hiccups almost everyday.

(Again moves Izzie's hand)

Dorie: And over here is Julie. She's pretty mellow. Every once in a while she just turns over. (Again moves Izzie's hand) Which brings us back to Kate.

Izzie: Who gives you belly burn.

Dorie (grinning): Every time she kicks.

(Meredith is dragging Steve with her down a hall way to an exam room. Bailey is follows them in)

Meredith: We were just bringing him up here because he's got ah this... problem you see. He's a, a friend.

(Steve sits down and removes the jacket. Bailey looks at the problem and then back at Meredith. You don't actually ever see anything)

Bailey: What did your friend take?

Steve: Take?

Bailey: Which erectile dysfunction drug?

Meredith (to Steve): You took?

Steve (to Meredith): I... absolutely not. I swear. It was all natural between us.

Meredith: Shut up!

Bailey: Your condition is called priapism usually brought on the overuse of EDs.

Steve: I didn't take anything.

Bailey: Well, we'll have to take your word for it because there's no test to see if you're lying. We'll have to ah look for other causes. There will be lots of labs, lots of procedures, painful procedures. (Steve looks mortified) Procedures that might make you wish you never had a penis. You sure you don't want to change your story?

Steve: I swear I'm clean.

Bailey: Alright. Grey, start his work up. Get some blood; get him some meperidine for his pain. As of now your friend is admitted.

(Bailey leaves. Steve half smiles at Meredith)

(Derek and Burke are at a nurse's station in the hospital. Addison comes up to them and hands them both a large file)

Addison: Dorie Russell, she's giving birth to quints.

Derek: Yes, Richard said we were on standby. Which is no problem really, cause it's not like I have a neurosurgery department to run or anything.

Addison: Aww.

Burke: Yes, apparently our departments are at her disposal.

Addison: Do you have time to talk to them mom now? I want her to meet all the surgeons on the team.

Derek: Yes. No problem.

Burke: I'll come by after I get out of the OR.

Addison: Thank you Dr. Burke.

Burke (calls back): Sure!

(He takes the chart and leaves. Derek stands up and he Addison start walking down the hallway. He starts looking over the file Addison has given him)

Addison: I didn't hear you leave the hotel room. I missed you at breakfast.

Derek: I had an early surgery.

Addison: You sure that's all? Nothing's wrong?

Derek: No, it's like I said I had an early surgery.

Addison: Ok.

(Izzie is helping Dorie back into her bed in her patient room)

Dorie: Uh, I feel like a beached whale.

(Addison and Derek walk into the room. Derek is still looking over the file)

Addison: Dorie, this is Dr. Shepherd he's our head of neurosurgery.

Derek: Hi.

Dorie: Oh, another Dr. Shepherd.

Addison: He's my husband actually.

Dorie: Seriously?

Derek (smiles): Mmm Hmm.

Dorie: Wow. Look at you two. Everybody must hate you.

Derek and Addison (together smiling): Oh you have no idea.

Addison: Anyway Dorie, Dr. Shepherd wants to talk to you about Baby C.

Dorie: Lucy.

(Derek puts the file down)

Derek: Yes. Lucy has a condition called hydrocephalus. It is a build up of cerebrospinal fluid on the brain.

Dorie: Ok and that means?

Derek: Excess fluid builds up and it puts pressure on the baby's brain which could result in brain damage.

(Dorie looks overwhelmed)

Derek: Here's the good news. We caught it early enough. We can take care of it very quickly.

Dorie: How?

Derek: I'm gonna install a shunt to drain the fluid. Barring any complications you're looking at a fully recovery.

Dorie: No brain damage.

Derek (shakes his head smiling): No brain damage.

(Izzie smiles)

Dorie: Ok, really ah couldn't you have led with that?

(Izzie and Addison chuckle)

Derek: Good point.

(Dr. Burke is sitting at a nurse's station. Cristina walks up to him and holds the key in front of his face)

Cristina: What the hell is this?

Burke: It's a key.

Cristina: Why?

Burke (smiles): Why is it a key? Are we feeling existential this morning?

Cristina: Well if a key turns in a lock and no one asked for the key or even wanted the key does it make a sound?

(Burke grins)

(Meredith walks up to them looking desperate and tugs Cristina's arm)

Meredith: Hey.

Cristina: Hi.

(Cristina turns back to look at Burke)

Burke: I'm gonna take this opportunity to be someplace else.

(Burke walks off and Cristina scoffs at him)

Meredith: Steve's labs came back clean.

Cristina: So?

Meredith: So, someone needs to induce vasoconstriction.

Cristina: Oh nice try with the fancy word. He needs an enema and the answer is no.

Meredith: I can't do it.

Cristina: Oh come on you let a guy you pick up in a bar see you naked and you can't give him an enema.

Meredith (desperate): Totally uncalled for.

Cristina: Well I am keyed up and cranky.

Meredith: I would do it for you!

Cristina (looks like she wants to laugh): Oh really? You would give Burke an enema?

Meredith: Yes!

Cristina (disbelieving): Uh huh.

Meredith: Maybe. No. But that's not the point.

Cristina: Ah yeah ok. Here's how it goes. I do this for you and you do every enema I'm assigned to for an entire month.

Meredith: Deal!

Cristina: Wow you really don't wanna do this.

(Robert is sitting in his patient room on his bed. He's surrounded by various files and many bottles of water. His assistant Doyle is sitting in the room as well also looking over files. Alex is there looking over Mr. Martin's chart)

Robert: You heard from the seller's agent?

Doyle: I've been calling all morning.

(Derek walks in)

Derek: Ah, Mr. Martin. It's good to see you on solid ground. I'm Dr. Shepherd.

Robert: My assistant Doyle says I passed out and hit my head. (gestures to Alex) This guy says it's some kinda cyst. I want you to say when I can get out of here.

Alex: A Rathke's Cleft Cyst.

Robert: Whatever.

Derek: It's a congenital tumor on your pituitary.

Robert: It's treatable right?

Derek: You're gonna need surgery. See I'm gonna use an endonasal approach.

Robert: Endonasal?

Derek: Yeah.

Robert: You're going to pull out through my nose?

(Derek nods. Mr. Martin turns to Doyle)

Robert: Look him up. Check his credentials.

(Doyle nods)

Derek: It's a minimally invasive procedure so there won't be any scarring.

Robert: Good. So, when?

Derek: Once we fully stabilize your sodium levels.

Alex: That means no more water.

Robert: I'm thirsty!

Alex: It's a side effect of the tumor. We'll keep you hydrated intravenously.

Derek: Ok.

(Alex and Derek leave. Doyle stands up and starts removing the water bottles)

Robert: What the hell do you think you're doing?

Doyle: Uh, I'm just following doctor's orders.

(Robert is silent but looks off put)

(Steve is in his own patient room now, dressed in gown and everything lying on a hospital bed. Cristina is in there as well preparing the gel from the enema)

Steve: I cannot believe this is happening.

Cristina: Try being me.

Steve: I mean you meet someone in a bar, you have a few drinks, a few laughs. You make out in the car.

Cristina: Roll over to your side.

(Steve moves to roll over so his front is facing Cristina)

Cristina: Other side.

(He rolls over the other way, with his back to her)

Cristina: Bring your knees up to your chest.

Steve: You have a good time. Spend the night, wake up the next morning and... (Cristina shoves her fingers up his butt at this moment) Ok!

Cristina: Uh huh.

(Nurse Olivia is sitting at a computer typing away. Alex is standing near her at the station looking at patient's chart)

Alex: So you're still not talking to me?

Olivia: You gave me syphilis. And I am talking to you; I just don't have anything to say. (There's a few seconds of silence) How's George?

Alex: O'Malley's a fetus. It's all whiny and afraid of the light. So you didn't tell him you were doing me, big deal. Minimal disclosure. It's my policy.

(Olivia stands up upset and takes the patient chart off Alex and walks off. Izzie comes up behind Alex and walks up close to him)

Izzie: Hey. I've been looking for you.

Alex: Hey.

Izzie: I'm on the quints case.

Alex: Yeah I heard.

Izzie: Yeah they're going to need multiple surgeries once they're delivered. I put you on the pager list (she smiles) so you're in too.

Alex (looks uncomfortable): Yeah I kinda got my own cases to worry about. So...

Izzie: Ok Alex, was it me? Because we seemed to actually be having a normal time. A good time.

Alex: Yeah we were having a good time.

Izzie: Well then was it me? Was it something I did or...

Alex: It wasn't you. Ok. (he shrugs) I just... just didn't feel like doing it. I was tired, you know?

Izzie (smiles): Well do you feel like doing it tonight?

Alex (half nods but still looks uncomfortable): I'm on call, so...

Izzie: Ok, well do you feel like doing it now?

Alex (intrigued): What right now?

Izzie: People have sex in this hospital all the time.

(Alex looks dazed and Izzie starts walking away from him backwards grinning broadly)

(George enters the stair well. He runs up a few stairs and stops in front of Meredith who is sitting on some stairs)

George: You hear about the quints?

Meredith: Yeah I heard.

George: Yeah I gotta get in on that.

Meredith: Yeah well that's Addison so I'm guessing I don't stand a chance.

George: So how do you break a guy's penis?

(Meredith gives him a look and George sits down beside her)

Meredith: You know about Steve. Why does every guy I meet come with his own unique set of nightmarish humiliations?

George: Um, maybe it's a matter of volume?

Meredith (accusatory): Volume? What's that supposed to mean?

George: Just, you know there's quality and there's quantity.

Meredith (accusatory): So you think I'm sleeping with too many guys? You think I'm some kinda slut?

George: I think you're taking some risks. I think you find yourself in a hole in some guy's basement, being ordered to put the lotion on the skin or else you'll get the hose again.

Meredith (interrupts): Oh come on.

George: And, excuse me I'm talking. So you're not over Derek. You want to be but you're not. So try and find some replacement, some temporary way to feel better and it's not working and it's not going to work because future meaningless one night stands and problematic penises is not what you want. You want better and you deserve better. (Meredith looks at George) And not every guy is a nightmare!

(He gets up and leaves)

(Alex is sitting on a bed in the on-call room shirtless and Izzie is standing with her scrub pants and just a bra on)

Izzie: Is it just me or... tell me it's me.

Alex: It's not you.

Izzie: Well then is it a medical thing? Or, or a problem? Because guys have problems sometimes.

(Izzie puts on a green sweater top)

Alex: I don't have a problem. (He reaches out and takes her hand in his) Get back down here. We're going to do this until we do it.

Izzie (smiles): Ok.

(He pulls her onto the bed and starts removing her drawstrings to her scrub pants. Izzie laughs. All of a sudden her beeper goes off. She checks it and sighs)

Izzie: Uh. 911. I'm sorry. (She sits up and kisses Alex on the cheek) Damn it.

(She grabs her coat and her pager and leaves the room. Alex hits the bunk bed above him in frustration)
(Addison is doing an ultrasound on Dorie in her patient room. A nurse is helping her. Izzie comes in still finishing up tying her hair)

Addison: Where have you been?

Izzie: I um, I, I the nurse was here.

(The nurse gives Izzie a look)

Addison: I've loaded her up with magnesium. Start monitoring her for toxicity.

(Izzie nods)

Dorie: Uh it's too soon. They can't come yet.

(Tom enters the room)

Tom: Mom says Graham started puking. (he notices the ultrasound and moves to Dorie's side) What is it? What's going on?

Izzie: Dorie's having contractions.

Addison: The babies' vitals signs are stable but your placenta is laying low. We're going to have to keep a close eye on that. We want to keep them in there as long as possible.

Tom: How are you keeping them in there if she's already having contractions?

Dorie: It's alright hun they can stop them. You're going to trendelenburg me, right?

Addison: Why yes I am. You've done your reading Dorie.

(She starts packing up the ultrasound equipment)

Dorie: They did it with the triplets. Gravity, remember Tom? It worked fine then and it'll be fine now.

Addison: Hang in there Tom, there's no time for second thoughts now.

Dorie: Tom, we didn't think we would survive the first week with the boys and we did and we'll be the same with girls. We're ready.

(Tom smiles)

Addison: Well that's all we can do for now. (to Izzie) Dr. Stevens are you on call tonight?

Izzie: Um, no.

Addison: You are now.

(Izzie nods)

(Dr. Bailey lifts up the sheets of Steve's bed to get a look at his erection. She makes a face as if she can't believe it's still there and pulls down the sheet. Cristina and Meredith walk into the room)

Bailey: Enema didn't work.

Meredith: Enema didn't work? (to Cristina) Enema didn't work.

Cristina: Oh. (She looks at the enema) Well it was an excellent enema.

Bailey: So what's the next step?

Cristina: A needle aspiration.

(Dr. Bailey nods. A look of horror crosses Steve's face)

Steve: A needle? My penis?

Meredith: We have to drain the blood.

(Meredith and Cristina start moving around to prepare. Bailey pulls out a tray with a huge needle on it. Steve sees this)

Steve (shaking his head furiously, loud): No way! No! Forget it!

Bailey: Then you're looking at impotence, penile infarction or gangrene. So if you want it to fall off...

Steve (closes his eyes): No. No, I really don't want that.

Bailey: Well then let's get to it. What goes up must come down.

(Bailey leaves the room)

Steve: I feel nauseous.

Meredith: Just lie back, close your eyes and try to relax.

Steve: If I could relax I wouldn't be here.

(Alex is walking out of Mr. Martin's patient room. A nurse comes by and take's the patient chart off Alex. Doyle walks up to Alex and meets him at the doorway)

Doyle: How is he?

Alex: Surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, so...

Doyle: Is there anything I could do?

Alex: Don't let him drink any water, even if he begs. Is there any family we should contact?

Doyle: No.

Alex: Friends.

Doyle: He doesn't really get along well with most people. Not big on the social skills.

Alex: Sad guy.

Doyle: Well he has me. 3 years as his assistant. I guess I'm his friend.

Robert (calls out from his room): Doyle!

(Doyle hurries into the room. Alex rolls his eyes and walks off)

(Meredith and Cristina are performing the aspiration. Cristina is holding a very large needle and draining the blood slowly. Steve has a look of pain on his face)

Cristina (to Meredith): What if I just gave him back the key?

(Steve looks at Cristina and starts listening blatantly to their conversation)

Meredith: He'll be hurt.

Cristina: What if I don't use it?

Meredith: Well then if you had no intention of using it then you shouldn't have taken it in the first place.

Cristina: Oh come on. Fishing a key out of a coffee cup isn't like some binding legal contract.

Steve: Your boyfriend gave you a key to his place?

Cristina (gives Steve a look and then looks at Meredith): Why's he talking?

Steve: I'm just saying the guy put himself out there. He's taken the next step. You can't not use it.

Cristina: Do you think you might be not in the best position right now to be handing out relationship advice?

Steve: Hey, he offered the key. You took the key. Just because I'm... (he stops talking when he looks at his penis) Oh look at that. Ah.

Cristina: Congratulations. You're flaccid.

Steve: Never thought I'd be so happy to hear that.

(Dorie, Izzie and Tom are in Dorie's room. Addison, Burke and George walk in)

Addison (soft voice): Dorie. Tom. (she walks up to them) Hey Dorie. Tom. This is Dr. Burke. He's the head of cardiac-thoracic surgery and Dr. O'Malley who will be assisting him. Dr. Burke wanted to talk to you about Emily's heart surgery.

Tom: Emily needs heart surgery?

Burke: Yes. Your daughter has a condition called hypoplastic left heart syndrome. The surgery will be extensive and the odds are that...

Dorie (interrupts): We don't believe in odds.

(Izzie smiles)

Burke: Good. Neither do I. But it is important that you both understand medically what's going on with your girls.

Addison: After she's born there won't be much time to ask questions. So...

Dorie: Ok. (to Burke) Listening.

Tom: What's wrong with Emily's heart?

Burke: The chambers on the left side are underdeveloped. In addition the mitral valve which connects these two chambers is abnormally narrow.

(Izzie gets a sad look an her face)

(Dr. Burke is on an empty elevator. Cristina gets on. The doors close so it's just them two. They both look like they want to say something but don't. Finally Burke cracks)

Burke: It's a key.

Cristina: Just a key?

Burke: Just a key.

Cristina: Well good. Good. Good.

(There's a bit of a silence)

Burke: Or, you can start thinking about moving in with me.

(Cristina gets a look of absolute shock on her face. The elevator doors open up. She gets off without saying anything as others get on.)

(Alex grabs Mr. Martin's chart from the nurse's station and heads towards Mr. Martin's room. Doyle bumps into him moving hurriedly from Mr. Martin's room looking upset)

Alex: Don't mind me.

(He walks into the room)

Alex: What's up with Doyle?

Robert: I had to fire him. Get me some water I'm drying up.

Alex: Yeah well that's the tumor talking. The IV is keeping you hydrated. So why did you fire Doyle? He seemed like a good guy.

Robert: I could see it in his eyes. He didn't respect me anymore.

Alex: He thought he was your friend.

Robert: Friend? Doyle?

Alex: Oh right you don't have any friends.

Robert: If I did I wouldn't let them see me like this. Illness is a sign of weakness. Once they see it they never look at you the same way again. I mean you're a hotshot doctor. I'm sure you don't let all the other hotshot doctors around here know anything about your problems.

Alex (smirks): Well I'm a hotshot doctor. I don't have any problems.

Robert: Probably don't have any friends either.

(Alex loses the smirk)

(Bailey lifts up Steve's sheets again to check his penis. Cristina peers over her shoulder to see as well)

Bailey (to Cristina): Oh my lord. Ooh, Child.

(Meredith walks back into the room)

Meredith: Don't tell me.

Cristina: The flag is flying once again.

Steve: Hey, nothing I did.

Bailey: Well we've tried everything. Must be neural.

Meredith: Neural?

Cristina (looks pointedly at Meredith): She already called for a consult.

(A look of recognition dawns on Meredith's face)

Meredith: A consult? (to Bailey horrified) You called neuro for a consult?

Bailey: Hey it's not my fault you broke the boy's penis.

(Derek walks in smiling broadly)

Derek: Hello everybody. What's up?

(Meredith looks sick)

(Derek lifts up the sheets to check Steve's never ending erection)

Derek: Hmm. (He puts the sheets down) So when did this problem begin?

Steve: Well I had an erection last night and woke up with one this morning.

(Meredith cringes at this. Cristina is standing next to Meredith trying not to laugh)

Bailey: Uh Dr. Shepherd if you don't need me, the other Dr. Shepherd needs a consult on one of the quints.

Derek (looking over Steve's chart): Yeah no we're fine.

(Bailey leaves)

Derek: So when did you last ej*cul*te?

(Meredith has a look of extreme discomfort on her face. Cristina just looks at her trying not to grin)

Steve: I'm not sure. (Steve turns to Meredith) Meredith? (Meredith cringes noticeably. Cristina again tries not to laugh. Derek looks up and sees both of these looks.)

Cristina (hint of laughter in her voice): Oh I'm, I'm gonna go with Dr. Bailey.

(Cristina leaves the room quickly)

Steve: Meredith, what time did we ah? (Meredith shakes her head as if to say this is not happening) You know... sort of

Derek (catches on): Yes Meredith, what time did you two...

(Meredith looks at him expressionless)

(Addison is with Izzie in Dorie's room. Addison is doing another ultrasound on Dorie. Dr. Bailey and Cristina are there as well. She does a printout and hands a copy to Dr. Bailey who looks over it. Cristina peers over her shoulder)

Addison: Here it is. Right there. The omphalocele.

Bailey (to Cristina): Yeah, look at that.

Dorie: That's the scariest word yet.

Cristina: All, all it means is that ah some of the baby's internal organs are growing in a sac outside its body.

Izzie (admonishing tone): Cristina!

Dorie (starts laughing hysterically): All it means her organs are growing outside of her body? That's all it means?

Izzie: It's gonna be okay.

(Dorie gets teary-eyed)

Bailey: I'll remove the sac membrane containing the organs and make a small incision in the baby's abdomen and put them back inside.

Dorie: Julie. (She shakes her head) She's the quiet one.

(Outside SGH)

(SGH Locker room)

(Cristina is getting dressed to go home. Burke walks in and meets her)

Cristina: What makes you... What makes you think we can live together? You don't know anything about me.

Burke: I know you prefer an 11 blade for your I and Ds. I know you prefer to say pickups instead of forceps. I know you like your coffee from the cart by the front entrance better than the coffee in the cafeteria. I know you.

Cristina: Those are little things. Just details.

Burke: I know you... You don't wanna move but I can't always be the one that takes the step. Any more steps and I'm walking away.

(He leaves the locker room. Cristina is left looking agonized)

(Olivia is knocking rapidly Mr. Martin's bathroom door that has been locked. Mr. Martin is in there and you can hear the sound of water running)

Olivia: Mr. Martin? Mr. Martin. Mr. Martin, please. Mr. Martin please you heard what the doctor said!

(Alex comes rushing in and tries to open the door)

Robert: I don't need any doctors, I don't need anyone.

Alex: Open the door Martin.

Robert: I am an island, a beautiful island surrounded by water.

Olivia: What do you wanna do?

Alex: Shepherd gave me one job to do. Just keep this dude from drinking water.

Olivia: Do you want me to page him?

Alex: No I can handle this. Just go get some restraints and turn the water off to the floor.

(Olivia runs out and Alex bangs on the door)

Alex: Martin, open the door!

(In Steve's room where Dr. Shepherd is reading from Steve's chart. Steve is lying in bed with Meredith standing at his bedside)

Derek: Your CT shows a tumor on your lower spine which is pressing against your cavernous nerve which is causing the erection.

(Derek looks at Meredith. Meredith looks down)

Steve: A tumor. Right. A tumor. (to Meredith) So I should be scared, right? This is, this is the time for scared.

(He reaches out and grabs Meredith's hand in his)

Meredith (looking a little queasy): Um, it's going to be fine. (She tries to pull her hand away but Steve has a good grip) Um, Dr. Shepherd is, is gonna a schedule a surgery.

(Derek notices the hand holding)

Derek: Yes, I'll remove the tumor and everything should return to normal.

Steve: Normal, normal?

Derek: Well I have a urologist on his way up to talk to you. But yes (he looks at Meredith briefly) normal, normal.

(Meredith just looks like this can't be happening)

Steve: Can you call my mom? Her number is in my wallet. Tell her to come but don't tell her about the tumor. I don't want to freak her out when she has to get on a plane.

Meredith: Sure, okay.

Derek: How long have you two been seeing each other?

Meredith (quick to answer): We're not. Seeing each other.

Steve: We met last night at Joe's.

(Meredith closes her eyes in horror)

Derek: Joe's bar? (He half chuckles) Mmm hmm. I met a girl there once myself. (He looks at Meredith) A very long time ago.

(He leaves the room. Meredith looks sick and gives a forced smile to Steve)

(Mr. Martin's room, Alex is still trying to jam the door open. Olivia comes running back in)

Olivia: The water's off. We'll just have to wait until he sobers up.

Alex: His sodium levels will drop too low.

(Alex starts slamming his body against the door to open it. He slams it open. Alex and Olivia move to go in and stop when they see Mr. Martin drinking water from the toilet bowl. He looks up and sees them. Alex and Olivia give each other glances. Mr. Martin starts to shove more water into his mouth. Alex and Olivia both move to Mr. Martin and drag him back to his bed)

Robert: No! No! Leave me alone! Let me go back. I need the water! I need it!

Alex: Martin, we're trying to help.

Robert: I don't want your help. (Alex pins him down onto the bed as Olivia races round and places restraints on him) I don't want people to look at me. I'm pathetic. Stop looking at me! Stop looking at me!

Alex: Give him 3% hypertonic solution. (Olivia nods) 500ccs per hour over the next 4 hours. We need to stabilize him.

(Olivia leaves)

Robert: You think you're such hot sh*t doctor. You're not. You're nothing. I'm gonna fire you too!

Alex: Go ahead fire me.

(Burke's apartment)

(Burke is doing pushups with an ab wheel thing in the living room. Cristina enters the apartment using her key. Burke stops when sees Cristina)

Cristina: I used the key.

Burke: That's a step.

Cristina: So you really wanna know me?

Burke: There's nothing that you could reveal about yourself that I wouldn't want to know.

(Cristina's apartment)

(Burke and Cristina walk in together. Cristina dumps her bag on the floor. Burke looks slightly off put at the place. He picks up her bag and places it on a chair. The place is the biggest pigsty I have ever seen. Clothes are all over the floor and furniture. Books, papers are strewn over the entire floor. Empty take away containers are on the table)

Cristina: This is where I live. My mother decorated it. I don't do laundry. I buy new underwear. And see ah under the table, 6 months of magazines that I know I'll never read but I won't throw out. I don't wash dishes, vacuum or put the toilet paper on the holder. I hired a maid once. She ran away crying. Ah the only things in my fridge are water, vodka and diet soda and I don't care. But you do. Still think living together is a good idea?

(Burke is silent and gives a quick smile and continues to ponder)

(Seattle scenes)

(SGH, outdoor cafeteria)

(Meredith and Alex are both at the coffee cart picking up coffee. Izzie comes up to them and starts making herself a cup of tea)

Izzie: Hey. Addison wants me to put you guys on notice. When the quints are born we're going to need everyone available. There's gonna be 5 babies, at least 3 surgeries, we're going to need all the hands we can get.

Meredith (not really there): Ok.

Alex (abrupt): Fine.

Izzie (confused): So, I'll just page you guys when we need you?

Meredith: Ok.

Alex: Fine.

(They both walk off to a table. Izzie looks annoyed and continues making her tea)

Izzie: Ok then.

(Meredith is sitting at a table and Alex is standing)

Alex: I was studying. What's your excuse?

Meredith: I was staring at the ceiling in abject horror. My one night stand is a neurosurgical case.

Alex (grins nodding): Heard you broke his penis. Nice.

Meredith: So I'm having a lot of sex. What's wrong with that?

Alex: Nothing wrong with that at all.

Meredith: It only gets problematic when you start to care. When you let your emotions get in the way. (Alex looks at Izzie) You know?

Alex: Yeah, right.

(He walks up slowly to Izzie but his pager beeps. Izzie notices him and Alex looks at his pager)

Alex: Damn it.

(Alex hurries off leaving Izzie looking pensive)

Izzie (to person at coffee cart): I'll just take the tea.

(Alex is walking fast into Mr. Martin's room. Olivia is in there checking on Mr. Martin who looks deathly ill)

Alex: What is it? Why'd you page me?

Olivia: He was acting all jittery and started slurring his words.

Alex: Martin, can you hear me?

(All of a sudden Mr. Martin starts seizing badly. His monitors start beeping rapidly. Derek walks in. Alex and Olivia try to keep Martin steady)

Alex: 2 of atavan. (to Derek) He started seizing.

Derek: How much sodium did you give him?

Alex: 500ccs over 4 hours.

Olivia: Actually doctor you ordered 500ccs per hour over 4 hours.

Derek: It's too fast. His brain is swelling.

(Derek checks Mr. Martin's eyes)

Derek: Why did you do a follow up? I gave you one thing to do!

Alex: He's gonna be okay, right?

Derek: If he's permanently impaired I can't operate on him like this.

(Alex looks ill at this)

(Alex is sitting on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed in the on call room. He throws a ball against wall back and forth in frustration. Olivia walks into the room)

Olivia: I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to get you in trouble but Dr. Shepherd needed to know. It doesn't mean you're not a good doctor.

Alex: Lately I'm crap.

(Olivia sits down on the bed next to Alex)

Olivia: Yeah well things have been kinda crappy for me too lately.

Alex: Also my fault.

Olivia (shrugs): We both made mistakes.

Alex: Let me ask you something. When we were together, it was good right?

Olivia: You mean? (Alex nods. Olivia is silent a bit and then lets out a breath of air and smiles broadly) Yeah. Yeah. It was good. It was really good. (Alex smiles) It was pretty great.

Alex: It was wasn't it? It was like easy, simple.

(Olivia lets out a chuckle. They both look at each other for a moment and then start kissing passionately. They stop)

Olivia: You better have a condom this time.

(Alex grins and they continue kissing again)

(Meredith and Derek are in the OR operating on Steve)

Derek: Ah there it is. Over the S1 vertebrae.

Meredith: So removing it should fix the problem?

Derek: Hmm. Doesn't look like there's any nerve damage. There shouldn't be any long term effect. I'd wait a few weeks before I tested it out though.

Meredith: Funny. You're a funny man.

Derek: I just didn't know you two were dating.

Meredith: Well you knew it would happen eventually.

Derek: Eventually feels a lot different than actually.

Meredith: Yeah, I guess it does.

Derek (sighs): Yeah well it's surprisingly painful.

Meredith: It gets better.

Derek: Does it?

Meredith: Well, I dunno but I'm determined to be optimistic.

(Derek is walking down the mezzanine hallway by himself. Addison is signing a chart in front of the OR board in the hallway. She hands it off to a scrub nurse. Derek walks up to her)

Derek: So you officially signed your contract. Congratulations.

Addison: Time to move forward.

Derek: Yeah it is.

(Addison stares at him)

Addison: We're ok, right?

Derek: Yeah we're ok.

(Addison's pager goes off. She reads it)

Addison: It's Dorie.

(She runs off)

(Addison enters Dorie's room. Dorie is moaning in pain. She's having big contractions. Izzie is looking over Dorie's uterus read out)

Addison: What's going on?

Izzie: There's fetal distress.

Dorie: My contractions are really hurting. Uh, I think my water broke.

(Addison pulls the sheet to the side and sees a pool of blood stained on the sheets)

Izzie: Her placenta's tearing.

(Addison nods)

Addison: Ok, Dorie we can't wait any longer the babies have to come out now!

(She runs out of the room)

Izzie: It's okay. We're going to take really good care of you.

Dorie: Yeah.

Izzie: Just keep breathing.

(Dorie is still having painful contractions. Addison is back there and there are 2 other nurse's helping prepare to move Dorie to the OR)

Addison: Ah Dorie, the OR is prepped and ready to go. Where's Tom?

Dorie (let out a moan of pain): He's at home with the boys.

Izzie: No, I called Tom, he's on his way.

Addison: Izzie go and page everyone on Dorie's team. The list is posted at the nurse's station.

(Izzie moves to leave but Dorie clutches her arm to stop her)

Addison: Dorie, Dorie, you're fine. You're gonna be fine.

Dorie: Nothing about this is fine! It's too early. They're too hurt!

Izzie: Dorie, you've carried your girls this far, now it's our turn. You have to trust us to bring them into the world.

Dorie: Tom's on his way?

Izzie (nods): Tom's on his way.

(Steve is lying in a hospital bed back in his room post-op. Meredith comes up to him)

Steve: Hey.

Meredith: Hey.

Steve: I guess I'll just have to tell you I'm happy to see you.

Meredith (smiles): So, Dr. Shepherd removed the tumor without any complications.

Steve: So, I just wanna thank you for being there for me. I mean, normally you don't expect your one night stand to stick by you through a tumor. (Meredith smiles) Maybe when I get outta her we can...

Meredith (interrupts): I don't think so.

Steve: Sure about that?

Meredith: Yeah. You know when I saw you at Joe's I was just... looking for a replacement. Looking for something to make me feel better. You deserve better than that.

(Meredith's pager goes off. She hears another pager go off and turns around. George is standing in the doorway. They both smile at each other. Meredith turns around and her pager goes off again.)

Meredith: Sorry, I gotta go.

(Cristina's apartment)

(Cristina and Burke are both lying asleep, naked under a sheet on the floor of Cristina's living room. They are both woken up by their beepers going off. They both sit up and read them)

Cristina: The quints.

(SGH Hallway)

(Addison with other doctors are moving Dorie quickly down a hallway. Izzie is there following)

Izzie: Everybody answered their pages but Dr. Karev.

Addison: Where is he? We need everyone.

Izzie: Uh I don't know. He was on call last night, he might be asleep.

Addison: Go find him!

(Izzie runs off)

(Alex's beeper goes off. Izzie opens the door to the on call room and sees Alex lying on top of Olivia. Izzie looks at him stone-faced)

Izzie: It's time for the quints. We need you.

(Izzie walks away. Alex drops his head on the bed)

(In the OR room, Dorie is lying on the table. Tom is standing near her head. The OR is filled with doctors getting ready for the babies surgery. Alex walks in and notices Izzie. Derek is there looking at Addison. Addison is operating on Dorie. She sees Derek smiling at her. Meredith is staring at Derek.)

MVO: How do you know how much is too much?

(Addison pulls out a baby and hands her to George)

MVO: Too much, too soon.

(Cristina moves to stand next to Addison. George takes the baby over to Dr. Burke who starts checking her immediately. Addison pulls out the baby with her organs at her side. She hands her to Cristina)

MVO: Too much information.

(Cristina takes the baby over quickly to Dr. Bailey who starts operating on her immediately. Meredith takes a baby from Addison. Alex moves to take her place. Meredith places her baby in an incubator)

MVO: Too much fun.

(Alex takes a baby from Addison. Izzie takes his place next to Addison.)

MVO: Too much love.

(Tom is stroking Dorie's head. Dorie is awake during the C-Section. Derek is checking on the baby Alex brought)

MVO: Too much to ask.

(Izzie takes the baby from Addison and over to another incubater. All the babies are in their own incubators and are being wheeled out individually. Dorie watches them go by)

MVO: And when is it all just too much to bear?

(Cristina and Dr. Bailey leave with their baby. Derek follows her with his baby. Izzie is the last of them to leave. She gives a reassuring glance to Dorie who looks upset)