02x18 - Yesterday

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

02x18 - Yesterday

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

2x18: Yesterday

Original Airdate: 2/19/2006

Written by: Krista Vernoff

Directed by: Rob Corn

(Burke and Cristina's apartment)

(Cristina is listening to music extremely loudly on her Ipod and dancing by herself in the apartment. She's also brushing her teeth and getting dressed at the same time)

MVO: After careful consideration and many sleepless nights, here's what I've decided.

(Cristina puts on her jacket)

MVO: There's no such thing as a grown up.

(Burke enters the apartment after his morning run all sweaty and stares at Cristina. Cristina instantly stops. Cristina starts dancing quite crazily up towards Burke)

MVO: We move on, we move out, we move away from our families and form our own.

Burke: Oh, no. I'm all wet.

(Burke looks amused and Cristina laughs. She tries to get him to dance but he refuses. She moves up to him and removes his jacket trying to get him to dance. Burke tries to walk by her but she stops him and dances in front of him. He starts dancing with her and Cristina lets out a laugh. A mobile rings. Burke moves to answer it still dancing)

Burke: Hello? No, Dr. Burke. (Cristina gargles and spits out her paste into the kitchen sink) Yes. (She wipes her mouth on the dishtowel...Burke looks confused on the phone) Yes I'll let her know.

(Cristina continues on dancing. Burke dances in front of her half-heartedly)

Burke: That was your landlord. (Cristina removes her earplugs from her Ipod and stops dancing) He wants you to know that there's a minor flood in your apartment. Your other apartment!

(Cristina has an uh-oh look on her face and Burke looks less than impressed and walks off. Cristina looks after him with a very guilty expression)

MVO: But the basic insecurities, the basic fears and all those old wounds just grow up with us.

(Nursing home)

(Ellis is sitting down on a chair. Meredith is helping herself to some coffee)

Ellis: I'm exhausted.

Meredith: Me, too.

MVO: And just when we think that life and circumstance have forced us to truly, once and for all become an adult ...

(Meredith places the coffee and some food on the table in front of Ellis)

Ellis: I was going at it all night in the on-call room. What's your excuse?

(Meredith stands up and turns around to face Ellis shocked)

MVO: ... your mother says something like that.

Meredith: Mom.

Ellis: I tell ya that man makes me purr like a kitten.

Meredith: Mom!

Ellis: When he isn't making me growl like a tiger.

Meredith: Stop!

(Ellis chuckles to herself)

Ellis: And my husband wonders why I'm not interested in him anymore.

MVO: Or worse. Something like that.

Ellis: If he had any balls at all he would leave on his own. (she shakes his head) No. He plays stupid. He's waiting for me to kick him out. I come home with a hickey on my shoulder. (she points to her shoulder) A hickey! For god's sake like I'm a sex-crazed teenager. (she chuckles) Which let's face it these days I am. And what does Thatcher do? Pretends he doesn't see it.

(Meredith just looks stunned at the information)

MVO: We get bigger, we get taller, we get older. But for the most part, we're still a bunch of kids.

(Locker room)

(The interns are getting ready for another day. George is standing from afar watching Meredith sitting down in front of the locker just staring at them)

MVO: Running around the playground trying desperately to fit in.

(George moves to walk up to Meredith. Cristina enters the locker room and pushes past George)

Cristina: You know, he's acting like I committed a crime. Like my apartment is full of stolen goods.

(George walks off as Cristina dumps her stuff in her locker ranting to Meredith)

Cristina: He's acting like I kept my apartment to hide stolen goods so I can do illegal transactions for money.

Meredith: Are you sure he's just not acting like you lied about moving in?

Cristina (makes a face): Ok, what's wrong with you?

Meredith: My mommy's a filthy whore.

(Cristina shrugs)

(Another part of the locker room where Izzie is getting ready. Alex is standing in front of her giving her a very suggestive look also getting ready)

Izzie: You have dirty in your eyes.

Alex (grins): You have dirty in your eyes.

Izzie (smiles): I'm not doing dirty with you any more. It was a one time lapse in judgment.

Alex: Oh it was a 4 time lapse in judgment.

Izzie: Yeah well it's not gonna happen again.

Alex (disbelieving): Oh ok.

Izzie (smiles): I'm serious! We're friends and it didn't work when we tried to be more than that so ... as fun as it was, it's not gonna happen again.

(She looks at him like she wants to have sex right there now)

Alex: Stop looking at me.

Izzie: I'm not looking at you. I'm rounding.

Alex: I'm rounding too.

Izzie (smiles): Fine.

Alex (smiles): Fine.

(Patient room. A middle aged man named Chuck Eaton is lying in the hospital bed. Burke is in there standing with Bailey's interns minus Bailey of course)

Meredith: Chuck Eaton. 54. Has stage 3B non small cell lung cancer with possible invasion of the pleura. And a history of COPD. He's had extensive chemo-radiotherapy (Cristina sh**t Burke a look which he returns) with minimal regression of the tumor. He's been admitted for radical and block re-section.

Chuck: I was a smoker. The ah oncologist, he explained that I have a 25% chance of surviving the surgery.

Burke: Well unfortunately that's about right. If you should elect not to proceed we can make you more comfortable.

Chuck: With all do respect ah- there's no way you can make a man dying a slow death comfortable. I'll roll the dice.

(Izzie and George are walking down a hallway)

George: How would you say I looked today? Would you say I looked nice?

Izzie: Well I say you could use a little more lip gloss but yes you're very pretty.

George (smiles): Oh you're mean.

Izzie: I'm just kidding. You look fine.

George: Seriously, how's my breath?

(He breathes onto her face)

Izzie: George. Would you just talk to her?

George: Who, what...

Izzie (interrupts): Oh!

(Further up ahead she sees Cristina, Meredith and Alex standing with Bailey holding her baby boy Will. She walks up to them)

Izzie (in a baby voice): Good morning Dr. Bailey. Hi, big boy!

Bailey: Are the OR's up and running?

Cristina: Ah yeah fully functional. Except there's some smoke damage to the corridor.

Bailey (to Meredith): How bout you? You fully functional?

Meredith (nods): I'm fine. How's your husband?

Bailey: Take him home tomorrow. (Will makes a cute noise and Bailey does a little baby voice as well) Yes we are. Yeah. Yeah.

Izzie (joins in): Oh, you're cute. I know you are.

Bailey: Okay this is not a tea party. Go work. Save some lives. (They disperse quickly) Now!

(Bailey chuckles and walks down the other way)

(Patient room where a teenaged boy named Jake Burton is lying in the hospital bed. Jake has very prominent bony structures on his face making it appear a lot larger than normal. Derek, Cristina, Alex, Izzie, George, Meredith and both Jake's parents are there)

Cristina: Jake Burton. 15. Has advanced craniodiaphyseal dysplasia. Was admitted last night after complaining of headaches.

Mrs. Burton: He's not a complainer.

Mr. Burton: He's been having some nausea as well.

Derek: Okay may I? (The parents move aside and Derek moves close to the bedside) Jake, can I get you to sit up please?

Jake: Sure.

Derek: Right okay. I want you to look right here for me. (He holds up a finger in front of Cristina. Jake looks directly at Cristina) Thank you. (Cristina looks a little uncomfortable and shifts her gaze as Derek checks Jake's eyes)

Jake: You know you could pretend I'm a lion. It helps.

Cristina: Sorry?

Jake: You could pretend I'm a lion and then instead of a really messed up kid you get a talking circus animal which is way easier to look at.

(Derek chuckles)

Derek: Dr. Yang what's our immediate concern?

Cristina: Ah that the bony tumors are growing inward and encroaching on his brain.

(Derek nods)

(Meredith is typing at a computer standing up at a nurses' station. A very, very hot young man wearing a leather jacket comes up to her and peers over her shoulder. His name is Mark)

Mark: Invasive non-cell. With a history of COPD. (he shrugs) That guy's pretty much a goner, huh?

Meredith: Sensitivity. I like that in a stranger. Are you new here?

Mark: Visiting. Confounded by all the rain and it's only my first day in town.

Meredith: You get used to it.

(Meredith moves away from the comp and a few feet away. Mark follows her)

Mark: Makes me wanna stay in bed all day.

Meredith: We just met and already you're talking about bed. Not very subtle.

(Derek stands up noticing him through the window of the adjacent office behind the nurses' station. Addison comes up the hallway and looks shocked)

Mark: Subtle has never been my strong suit. So ... do you ever go out with co-workers?

Meredith (smiles): I um...make it a rule not to.

Mark: Then I am so glad that I don't work here.

Meredith: Are you hitting on me? In a hospital?

Mark: Would that be wrong?

Meredith: Meredith.

(George is also looking through the window annoyed. They shake hands. All of sudden Derek punches Mark really hard across the face. Mark falls to the ground)

Derek (shakes his hand): Aah!

Meredith (stunned): What the hell was that?!

Derek: That was Mark.

(Conference room where Derek is now sitting down. Addison puts an ice pack on it and Derek removes it. Richard is pacing around angrily. Addison sits a few chairs away from Derek)

Richard (angry): Punching out people on my surgical floor! My head of Neurosurgery punching out people on my surgical floor!

A ddison: Put the ice back on your hand.

Derek: My hand is fine!

Richard (angry): Put the damn ice on your 2 million dollar a year hand! (Derek places the ice-pack back on his hand) Now, would someone tell me what the hell happened?

(Derek gives Addison a look)

Addison: That was Mark.

Richard (more calm): Who's Mark?

Addison: He and Derek used to work together back in New York. ... ... And umm... They ah... We were all close friends. ... Until, Derek found us in bed together.

(Richard is silent for a moment)

Richard (to Derek): You put your weight behind it?

Derek: Yes sir.

Richard (nods): Well, alright then.

(He leaves. Addison places her head in her hands)

Derek: What the hell is he doing here?

Addison: I have no idea.

(Trauma room where Meredith is cleaning up the large cut on Mark's face)

Mark: Derek and I always did have the same taste in women.

Meredith: Excuse me?

Mark: You're Derek's lusty intern, right? Heard about you all the way back in New York. You're famous.

Meredith: Hmm, well I heard about you all the way here in Seattle so I guess we have a lot in common.

Mark: We're the dirty mistresses.

Meredith: I suppose we are.

Mark: My 400 dollar an hour shrink says that because behind this rugged and confident exterior, I'm self destructive and self loathing to an almost pathological degree.

Meredith: Hey, we do have a lot in common.

Mark: You know it's funny, Derek...(he turns to face Meredith but she grasps his face so he's staring straight so she clean the wound on his cheek) Derek walks in on me naked with his wife actually in the throes. And he just turns around and walks away, but he sees me so much as talking to you and I'm on the ground bleeding. Interesting, don't you think?

(Meredith doesn't respond. She places a towel on his shoulder and moves to start suturing his face)

Mark: What do you think you're doing?

Meredith: You need stitches.

Mark: I know. (he holds up a mirror) Hold the mirror.

(Meredith gives him a look and hands him the surgical tools. She takes the mirror from him and stands in front of him so he can stitch it up himself)

(Out the window you can see Cristina, Alex, Izzie and George all watching from the nurses' station)

George: Why is he suturing his own face?

Cristina: To turn me on.

Alex: Cause he's Mark Sloan. He's like the go-to plastic surgeon on the East Coast.

George (shocked): That's the guy Addison was sleeping with?

Izzie: You can't really blame her, can you?

Cristina: No, not really.

George: Yes you can.

(Meredith comes up to them)

Meredith: McSexy wants an x-ray to check for fractures and I think it's a bad idea if I take him.

George: Why? Why?

Alex: I'm on it.

(Alex leaves)

George: Why is it a bad idea?

Cristina: McSexy?

Meredith: No.

Izzie: McYummy.

Meredith and Cristina: No.

Meredith: McSteamy.

Cristina: Oh there it is.

Izzie: Yep. (she chuckles)

(They all look at Mark through the trauma room window)

George: Uh, just ah choking back some McVomit.

(He walks off)

(George and Izzie are putting on some yellow gowns getting ready to enter the Pit)

George: I saw her first! The night she met Shepherd, I had her ear. We talked. And I can't even remember what I said.

Izzie: You know how when you haven't had sex for a while and you sort of forget how good it is and you don't really need it as much?

George: Yeah, that doesn't happen to guys.

(George moves behind to tie up the back of Izzie's gown)

Izzie: It's like a beast. A beast that was asleep for a long, long time and now, the beast is wide awake! And wants to be fed. And the food that Alex gave it was good food George.

(George yanks back Izzie's yellow gown)

George: Something needs to be done about your taste.

Izzie: Oh! You're just jealous because your beast is still asleep.

George: Heh! My beast isn't asleep. My beast never sleeps!

(They rush outside to meet the incoming ambulance)

(Meredith is peering into Mr. Eaton's room. She enters and sees that Chuck is assembling a video camera)

Meredith: Mr. Eaton. Do you need a hand with that?

Chuck: Ah if you could set up the tripod that would be very helpful.

Meredith: Are you...what are you doing?

Chuck: I'm dying dear. 1 in 4. I ah, I've never done well with odds like that. Some people are lucky. I just never have been. The camera is for posterity. Saying good-bye.

Meredith: Do you want me to hold the camera for you?

Chuck (teary-eyed): You're very kind. Thank you.

(He sits more upright and Meredith turns on the video camera. Chuck wipes his eyes and removes his oxygen tube)

Meredith: Okay, we're recording.

Chuck: This, this ah this is a message for Susie Zelman. My college sweetheart and the love of my life. (Meredith smiles at this) Susie, I loved you with my whole heart. And I never would have stopped loving you if you hadn't been a vilest (Meredith looks shocked) whore to have ever walked the planet Earth. You deserve that- that drunken imbecile that you slept with and then married. And then at the reunion I met your ugly children, I, I knew that you had done me a real favor! I am so deeply happy that I never have to see your face again. ... Love, Chuck. (Meredith doesn't look too impressed. He puts his oxygen tube back in) Could you please put in a fresh tape dear?

(Alex and Mark are looking at x-rays of Mark's face in the x-ray viewing room)

Alex: I read about that jaw reconstruction you did using a micro-muscular free transfer from the foot.

Mark: You interested in plastics?

Alex (nods): Absolutely.

Mark: Might want to consider a transfer to New York or Los Angeles. You're not gonna see any heat up here.

Alex: Actually, have you ever seen an advanced case of craniodiaphyseal dysplasia?

Mark: Lionitis?

(Alex nods)

(Incoming trauma case. A young woman named Pamela is being wheeled on a gurney by the paramedic named Jill down a hospital hallway in the Pit. George and Izzie and other E.R. doctors are wheeling the gurney as well)

Jill: Restrained driver in a minor MVC. Vitals are stable but witnesses saw seizure activity behind the wheel.

(They move her onto a hospital bed in the Pit)

Pamela: I really don't think I even need to be here.

Izzie: You should really let us determine that ma'am.

Jill: Witnesses say she was screaming, shuddering and, and cracking her jaw.

George: Do you have a seizure disorder that you're aware of?

Izzie: Epilepsy?

Pamela: Not epilepsy. I don't have epilepsy- Oh no. Oh god it's happening again. Oh no! Oh! Oh! Oh, Oh Ah! (She has a very vocal orgasm) Ah!

(She looks upset that just happened)

Jill: Was that a ...?

George: Did she just have a...?

Izzie (breathes out): Orgasm.

(Izzie, George and Addison are standing at doorway leading into the Pit)

Addison: Spontaneous orgasms? Are you sure?

Izzie (smiles): Oh yes.

George: Kinda hard to miss.

Addison: Okay. (They walk up to Pamela) Miss Calva, I'm Doctor Montgomery-Shepherd.

Pamela: It's Pamela. Since we're gonna be talking about you know. May as well get familiar.

Addison: Okay, Pamela can you tell me how long this has been happening to you?

Pamela: For a few months I guess.

Addison: How often?

Pamela: About 7 or 8 times a day.

Izzie (excited): Everyday?

Addison : Eh Dr. Stevens.

Izzie: I'm sorry. Everyday?

Pamela: Yes. Everyday.

Addison: And you haven't seen a doctor about this before?

George: It's not exactly something you want to cure is it?

Addison : Dr. O'Malley!

George: Sorry. (low tone) Is it?

(Izzie grins)

Pamela: I went to my doctor. He sent me to a shrink.

Addison: And he didn't do any tests?

(A voice calls out)

Mr. Calva: Pammy? Are you back here?

(Pamela notices a middle-aged man calling out through the window)

Pamela: Oh god no. You called my father?!

George: He's your emergency contact person.

(Mr. Calva walks up to them)

Mr. Calva: Pammy, what happened? You were in an accident?

Pamela: I caused the accident Dad.

Mr. Calva: You had one of your...

Pamela: Episodes. Yeah. Oh no. Dang it.

(She grabs a pillow to muffle her orgasm)

Mr. Calva (tries to talk over it): She's a junior at UW. She's a math major. Last 3 semesters she made the honor roll. High up in the honor roll.

Addison (uncomfortable): Mr. Calva we're gonna run some tests and we're gonna ... we're gonna figure out what's causing your daughter's...

Pamela: Episodes.

Addison: That's right. Episodes. Ok.

(Chuck's room. There is a pile of about 12 tapes made already. He's doing another while Meredith is helping sitting down filming)

Chuck: And when you were 14! You stole Laura Brendese right out from under me. You knew how I felt about her! Don't say you didn't know because you knew! And you went for her anyway. What kind of human being does that to his little brother?

Meredith: He was 14! Cut him slack for god's sake. Oh. Sorry, I forgot we were recording.

Chuck: If you wouldn't mind rewinding just a little bit. Please?

(Meredith shuts the video cam and stands up)

Meredith: I'm a doctor. Not a videographer and I do need to prep you for surgery.

Chuck: But you offered to help.

Meredith: When I thought you were saying goodbye.

Chuck: I am saying goodbye. None of these people. Not one of them knows how I really feel. My whole life, I've kept it all inside. I, I don't want to carry this with me to my grave.

Meredith: You seem like such a nice man. Wouldn't you just rather them remember you that way?

Chuck: No. ... Please rewind the tape.

(Jake is lying down about to enter an MRI machine. Cristina is standing over him)

Cristina: Okay Jake it can get a little cramped in there so you have to try not to move.

Jake: Yeah uh this is like my 50th MRI experience.

Cristina: Right, sorry.

(Cristina presses a button and Jake starts moving into the machine)

Jake: It's okay. You have really nice eyes. (Cristina presses the button to stop) I'm just saying you're mostly all surly and hard core but your eyes aren't. I'm really big on eyes. The only part of my face where the tumors aren't growing.

Cristina: Yeah, you've got nice eyes.

Jake: Yeah?

Cristina: Mmm Hmm.

Jake: You, you get that I'm jailbait right?

(Cristina grins broadly)

(Meredith is walking out into the hall. Richard walks by her and up to a nurses' station)

Richard: Meredith.

Meredith: Chief. ... (she walks up quickly after him) Chief, can I ask you something? Not worked related?

Richard: Mmm okay.

Meredith: Do you remember my father?

(Richard looks up at this)

Richard: Of course.

Meredith: Do you know why he left?

Richard: I believe your mother asked him to.

Meredith: Right but do you know why?

Richard (shakes his head): No. No I'm sorry I don't. Well have a good day.

Meredith: Thanks, you too.

(Richard walks off unsettled)

(Cristina and Derek are walking down the hall)

Derek: Dr. Yang, book an OR please.
(They walk to the doorway of Jake's room. Mark is in there with Jake and his parents and Alex)

Mrs. Burton: How, how is that possible?

Mark: It's precision work. It won't be easy but...

(Derek looks furious that Mark is even in there)

Derek (interrupts): Dr. Sloan, can I help you with something?

Jake: He says he can fix my face. He says he can make me look like normal.

(Derek gives Mark a very angry heated look that Mark just stares right back down)

(Cristina and Alex are watching through some windows Richard's office where Richard, Mark and Derek are discussing the case very angrily)

Alex: What did he say? Did you hear that?

Cristina: Did he call him a cr*ck-whore?

Alex: You call him that.

Cristina: Oh shut up. I'm trying to read lips. Shepherd's gesturing! Big gesturing!

(George walks up to them)

George: What do you got?

Alex: Shepherd, Sloan battling it out.

Cristina: Oh it's getting good!

Alex: Why what do you got?

(George shrugs and acts very casual)

George: Just a woman down in the E.R ... having spontaneous orgasms.

(Both Cristina and Alex turn to stare at George. They all sprint off. Cristina is a little behind)

Cristina: Hey, wait, wait, wait!

(Richard's office where the arguing is going down)

Derek (angry): That is not the point!

Mark (angry): The point is that the kid wants his face fixed!

Derek (yells): The point is you wanna get published!

Mark: Well yeah and I'm guessing your Chief of Surgery does too. You know how the press love a good before and after sh*t Richard.

Richard (annoyed): Call me Dr. Webber.

(Derek looks smug)

Richard: Derek out of friendship to you I would very much like to say no to this ... jackass. But as Chief ...

Derek (shakes his head): Please don't say it.

Richard: Dr. Sloan if you can get the parents to sign a consent form ...

(Mark nods)

Mark: Round two goes to the jackass.

(George, Cristina and Alex are at the doorway entrance to the pit. Pamela is dead across from them with Izzie, Mr. Calva and Addison at her bedside)

Cristina: Which one? Which one?

George: Twelve o'clock.

Pamela: Oh no! Oh no it's happening!

(George and the other two walk in a bit. Pamela starts having an orgasm. Cristina and Alex look very amused. Addison notices them and quickly closes the curtain to give her privacy)

Addison: Doctors. Is there something you need?

George: No. No.

(Alex shakes his head)

Cristina: No.

Addison: Well in that case move on.

(They turn around and start heading out back the way they came)

Cristina: I don't get what McDreamy and McSteamy see in her.

Alex: She's McHot.

George: McYeah she is.

(Addison is walking down a hallway. Derek comes up in the opposite direction closely followed by Mark. They all stop when they see each other. Derek instantly turns around and walks away. Addison moves to walk away and Mark chases after her)

Mark: Oh come on, you're not even a little bit happy to see me?

Addison: Go home! Whatever it is you came here to do, just drop it and leave.

Mark: Hey we all make mistakes Addison. All 3 of us...

Addison (tries to interrupt): Mark.

Mark (continues ignoring Addison): but somehow, somehow I lost my best friend and the woman I loved.

Addison: Please don't say that.

Mark: He doesn't know how we felt. ( Addison looks away) He doesn't know you stayed with me after he left? How do you expect to work out a marriage if you can't even be honest with him?

Addison: Why are you here?

Mark: For one reason. To bring you home. I miss you, Addison.

Addison: I'm in love with my husband Mark.

Mark: But he's not in love with you. (Addison looks down) He's in love with that intern and he's not even trying to hide it. Why would even want to stick around for that?

(Addison looks at him and then walks away)

(Outdoor cafeteria. Meredith and Cristina are already sitting down having lunch. Alex, Izzie and George sit down with them)

Alex: I think you're making it up.

Izzie: He's not. I saw it four times.

(Cristina chuckles)

Meredith: What?

George: Woman with spontaneous orgasms.

Cristina: Oh yeah, uh huh.

Meredith: Really?

George (to Alex): You're just jealous because you didn't see it yourself.

Alex: Totally am.

(He gives Izzie a 'dirty' look. Izzie shakes her head at him)

Meredith: Spontaneous orgasms? Really?

George (to Meredith in a low voice): You look really nice today.

Cristina: Any chance they're contagious?

Meredith: I mean spontaneous orgasms that would solve so many problems.

George (chuckles): It would. It would. (again in a low voice) I think you smell nice too.

Cristina: You know it's like you see someone throw up, makes you wanna throw up too. Kinda like that?

Izzie: Kinda like. (She glances at Alex. He's grinning and laughing silently at her. She tries not to laugh) You know what? I'm not hungry. (to Alex) Do you hear me? I'm not hungry. Neither is the beast.

(She gets up and leaves)

Cristina: The beast? Is that like some sly reference to your penis?

Alex: Get your mind out of the gutter cr*ck-whore.

Cristina: Mmm.

(George and Meredith laugh)

George: No it's not Alex's penis. It's, you know when you haven't had sex for a long time and you forget how good it is, so you want it less?

(Both Cristina and Meredith look at him weirdly)

Cristina: Yeah that doesn't happen to me.

Meredith: Me either.

George: Me either.

(CT viewing room where Izzie, George and CT tech guy are waiting for the images of Pamela's scan)

George: I grew my hair for her and...

Izzie: I know.

George: And I don't even think she's noticed.

Izzie: You could just try telling her how you feel.

(The scans that come up and really blurry)

CT Tech: Uh guys, she's moving. Like a lot.

(Izzie speaks into the mic)

Izzie: Pamela you have to hold still.

(You can hear Pamela having an orgasm through the mic. The CT tech looks amused. Izzie switches off the mic)

Izzie: Okay.

George (amused): That's not helping the beast sleep.

Izzie: Ah no. (she shakes her head) No it's not.

(Jakes room where Mark is drawing on Jake's face out-lining where he'll be cutting. Cristina and Alex are watching and Jake is looking at it through a mirror)

Alex: You're drawing the medial to the tumor.

Mark: It's a guideline for what the bone structure should be.

Jake: You hear that? I'm gonna have bone structure.

(His parents and Derek walk in)

Mrs. Burton: Jake.

Jake: What do you think am I Dali or more of a Picasso?

Mr. Burton: Could you stop doing that for a minute please?

(Mark stops drawing. Mr. Burton squats near Jake)

Mr. Burton: Jake, Jake I'm sorry. This surgery, the brain surgery is very dangerous.

Jake: Oh don't say that. You, you don't get to change your mind.

Derek: You know I know Dr. Sloan has made you some big promises ... but the bony tumors inside your skull are bad.

Jake: I don't care!

Derek: The bleeding will be hard to control. I'm not trying to frighten you. I just want you to understand.

Jake: I do understand this...I understand this has nothing to do with plastic surgery. So, so if I'm going to be under the Kn*fe anyway then I-

Mr. Burton (interrupts): The plastic surgery can be done at some-

Mark (interrupts): I'm sorry to interrupt.

Derek (interrupts): What you need to understand...

Mark (interrupts): Excuse me Jake is actually right. (Derek scoffs) No reason to put him through a second surgery and a second round of anesthesia. (Alex nods) It's much safer to just do it all at once.

Mrs. Burton: Honey we just want to focus on keeping you alive.

Jake: Come on mom. I almost d*ed when I was ten years old. And then again when I was twelve. And then again last year. But, but I'm still alive. I'm still alive. So, so I say we go for it.

Mrs. Burton: Jake.

Jake: Look, I...I know that you think I'm perfect just the way I am but ... that's your job to do that. But (he shrugs) ... for once in my life I'd like to think to that someone else thought that. Please?

(Mr. Burton looks at his wife who is crying)

Jake: Please?

(Meredith is sitting in an office behind the nurses' station where she is putting the tapes Chuck made into envelopes. Derek comes up to her)

Derek: You've given up surgery to go into clerical work?

Meredith: I'm fulfilling a patient's dying wish to send hate mail to everyone he's ever met.

Derek: Ah. ... Right now I understand the impulse.

Meredith: Me too. Why do people cheat?

Derek: That's a good question.

Meredith: Why do you think she cheated on you? Were you different then? Were you a bad husband?

(He is silent for a bit)

Derek: I was ah ... (he sighs and sits down next to her) I was just a little absent. Not that that's an excuse for her.

Meredith: Do you think things would have been different if you'd had kids?

Derek: Do I think she wouldn't have cheated? ... (he shakes his head) I don't know.

(They just look at each other for a bit. Mark comes up to the doorway)

Mark: Alright man Jake's ready to roll. (Derek looks annoyed at Mark) I'm sorry did I interrupt something?

Meredith: No it's fine.

(Meredith and Derek both get up and leave through different doors)

(CT room. Pamela is sitting in a wheelchair. Izzie is standing in front of her)

Izzie: Pamela you should really try and relax.

Pamela (nods): I am trying to relax. The episodes happen when I won't relax. (Izzie helps Pamela stand up) Do you really think you can fix this?

Izzie: I uh hate to be insensitive but ah would it be the worst thing ever if we can't? I mean ... (she shrugs)

Pamela: You know I like sex as much as the next girl. Like in bed or even private. But when you can't go to the movies or drive a car or go to church with your parents.

Izzie: Oh my god.

Pamela: You know that dream where you show up at high school and you're naked?

Izzie: Yeah.

Pamela: Yeah well I would really, really like to wake up.

(Izzie nods)

(OR where Burke is operating on Chuck with Meredith assisting)

Meredith: It's crossed the intra-thoracic fascia?

Burke: I'm afraid so. I'm gonna have to go into the chest wall.

Meredith: He made 17 hate tapes.

Burke: I'm sorry?

Meredith: Video-tapes of himself. Telling people how much he hated them. Spewing every hurt feeling he ever had.

Burke: And he mailed them?

Meredith: No he wanted me to but I don't think it's a good idea. He was scared. He was in shock. He wasn't thinking clearly.

Burke: That's not for you to decide Dr. Grey. He asked you for something. You told him you would do it. If you don't, that doesn't make you noble. It makes you a liar. (Meredith glances at him) Did you know she kept her apartment?

Meredith: Yeah I did. Sorry.

(Derek is performing surgery on Jake. The camera pans up to the gallery where the are a lot of doctors watching including Richard and Bailey with her son)

Bailey (to her son): Now, Dr. Shepherd is opening the skull cap. That's what he's doing. Yes he is.

(Cristina is watching in the OR as is Alex. Mark is standing near the side ready to start the plastic surgery. All of sudden Jake's heart monitor starts beeping rapidly)

Derek: Oh, son of a bitch. Alright I need another unit of blood!

(Cut up to the gallery)

Bailey: Oh no that's too much blood.

Derek: Put in the pressure and fusia.

Alex: No carotid. We've got V-FIB.

(They all start scrambling and yelling different orders as Jake flat lines. Mark grabs the paddles to jolt Jake's heart into starting)

(Up in the gallery Bailey shakes her head sad and leaves)

(Back down in the O.R Cristina looks sad as the monitor stays flat-lined)

(Empty O.R with Jake's dead body. Cristina and Alex are suturing him closed)

Alex: Shame he never had his face fixed.

(Cristina looks at Alex thoughtfully)

(Cristina and Alex are entering an attending locker room. Mark is standing there looking extremely yummy shirtless)

Alex: Dr. Sloan?

Mark: Yeah?

(Morgue with Jake's body on a table. Cristina and Alex are standing there scrubbed up. Mark comes in)

Mark: Alright, I got the parents approval.

(Cristina and Alex move to put their scrubs masks on)

Mark: You don't ... (he shakes his head) really need those.

Alex: Right.

Mark: Scalpel.

(Alex hands him the scalpel)

(Chuck's room post-op. Burke is in there at his bedside. Meredith is standing at the end of the bed)

Burke: Mr. Eaton, can you hear me?

Chuck: Oh god. Ugh.

Burke: Don't try to sit up. You're gonna be in pain for sometime. But I'm please to report that we removed the entire tumor.

Chuck (smiles): I'm alive?

Burke: Yes sir, you are alive.

Chuck: My tapes ...

(Meredith holds up a bag filled with envelopes)

Meredith: Would you like me to throw them away?

Chuck (contemplates): No. I'd like you to mail them. I've said my peace. Sometimes a man has to say his peace.

(Meredith is at a nurses' station anxiously looking up a phone book. George cheerily comes up to her)

George: Mer! Do you want...I want to take you ... out for a drink tonight. Maybe not Joe's, maybe some place where we can talk? (Meredith just r*fles through the phone book not really listening) You know there's something I need...I want (he chuckles) to talk to you about. (Meredith is still looking through the book) It's important.

(Meredith rips out a page from the phonebook)

Meredith: I don't want to make video tapes on my deathbed George.

(She walks away leaving George just standing there)

(A house)

(Meredith is standing outside and rings the doorbell looking sad. She rings the bell again after a bit. A 50 year old or so man walks up to the door. He peers through the glass in the door and looks stunned as he realizes who Meredith is. He opens up the door. Meredith is standing looking teary-eyed)

Meredith: She had an affair.

Thatcher: Ye...yes.

Meredith: Why didn't you stay and fight for us?

(Thatches steps outside and closes the door)

Thatcher: I did. I tried.

Meredith: Why didn't you try harder? You just left.

Thatcher (looks unsure and hopeful): Meredith. (Meredith wipes a tear away) Is there anything you need? Anything at all?

Meredith: No. ... I don't need anything from you.

(She turns around and walks away)

(SGH, hallway)

(Derek is entering an empty elevator dressed to go home. Addison quickly stops the doors from closing and hops on the elevator as well)

Addison: Hey.

Derek: Hey.

Addison: I haven't seen you all day.

Derek: I didn't want to see you today.

Addison (upset): It's not my fault he showed up Derek.

Derek: I know.

(The doors open on a new floor revealing Mark. Mark steps in and Derek and Addison step to the side. Mark hits a button)

Mark: Don't b*at yourself up.

Derek: I'm taking the stairs.

(Derek walks out just before the doors close and Mark holds them open)

Mark: Oh come on. (Derek stops and turns around) How come you can forgive her but not me?

Derek: I didn't forgive her and with you I have no obligation to try!

(He walks away and the doors close. Addison leans back against the wall looking upset and tired)

Mark (in a quiet voice): Your marriage is over Addison. All you have to do is admit it. (he walks up close to her) And you can come back home with me. (Addison stares at him) I'm going to the bar across the street. (He gently brushes his hand against Addison's face) Meet me there.

(He gets off the lift leaving Addison looking very torn and upset)

(Cristina and Alex are letting Jake's parents into the morgue to let them see Jake after the plastic surgery. Mrs. Burton strokes Jake's hair)

Mrs. Burton: He looks ... peaceful.

Mr. Burton: He does.

(They leave the morgue and Cristina covers up Jake's body. She leaves and Alex follows, closing the door behind him)

(Burke and Cristina's apartment, bedroom)

(Cristina is sitting in bed eating Chinese take out and reading a magazine. Burke enters the apartment and walks into the room. He drops his bag to the floor and removes his jacket)

Cristina: Um...

(He holds up a hand to stop her talking and walks up in front of the bed and paces back and forth)

Burke: I am Preston Burke! A widely renowned cardio-thoracic surgeon. I am a professional and more than that, I am a good and kind person. (he sits on the dresser behind him) I am a person that cleans up behind myself! I am a person that cooks well. And you, you are an unbelievable slob. A slovenly, angry intern. I am Preston Burke! And you, you are the most competitive, most guarded, most stubborn, most challenging person I have ever met! And I love you. (Cristina stares at him) What the hell is the matter with you that you won't just let me?

(Brief silence)

Cristina: I gave up my apartment 20 minutes ago.

Burke: Well alright then.

(he walks into the bathroom and closes the door)

MVO: I've heard it's possible to grow up. I've just never met anyone who's actually done it.

(Pamela's room)

(Pamela is in hospital bed and Izzie is prepping her for surgery)

Pamela: Dr. Stevens, after the surgery will I still be able to...when I want to will I still be able to have (she glances at her sleeping Dad and lowers her voice) you know, episodes.

(Izzie smiles)

Izzie: Even better Pamela, you'll be able to have orgasms.

(She walks to the window and sees Alex standing at the nurses' station)

MVO: Without parents to defy we break the rules we make for ourselves.

(Alex looks at her and grins. Izzie grins back)

(Walkway outside SGH)

(George is sitting on bench by himself looking very unhappy)

MVO: We throw tantrums when things don't go our way.

(Izzie walks up to George)

Izzie: Hey.

George (upset): She doesn't hear me.

(Izzie sits down next to George)

Izzie: What?

George: She doesn't even hear me when I talk.

Izzie: She will if you make her.

(George looks at her)

George: You fed the beast didn't you?

Izzie (half smiles): Twice.

(She shrugs. Alex is waiting for Izzie a few feet way. George rubs her arm and then pushes her away. Izzie giggles)

Izzie: I'll see you later.

George: Bye.

(Izzie runs up to Alex and they walk off together)

MVO: We whisper secrets with our best friends in the dark.

(Nursing home)

(Ellis is standing looking out the window at the rain outside. Richard comes up behind her and sighs)

Richard: Meredith came to see me today.

Ellis: Hmm. Poor baby. Poor thing. Her father left, you know?

Richard: I think she knows about us Ellis. I think she's figured it out.

Ellis (bemused): She's 5 years old, Richard.

(She chuckles and walks to a seat)

(Joe's bar)

MVO: We look for comfort where we can find it.

(Meredith is sitting at the bar looking contemplative. Mark walks in and sits next to her)

Mark: This seat taken?

Meredith: I guess not.

(He sits down and speaks to Joe)

Mark: Double Scotch. Single malt.

(Joe nods and Mark looks at Meredith)

Mark: You look sad.

(Joe lays the drink down in front of Mark)

Meredith: I just saw my father for the first time in 20 years.

Mark: How'd that go?

Meredith: Could've gone better. (There's a bit of a silence) What are you still doing here?

Mark: I'm hoping Addison shows up.

Meredith (surprised): You're still in love with her?

Mark: You're still in love with him.

Meredith: She won't show you know.

Mark: No?

Meredith: He's not the kind of guy you leave if you can help it.

Mark (sighs): What if you're wrong? What if just this once ... life comes down on the side of the dirty mistresses?

(Meredith half smiles)

MVO: And we hope. Against all logic. Against all experience.

(Derek's trailer)

(Derek is lying down on the bed looking tired. Addison is sitting in another room at the kitchen table, looking upset and if she's just been crying)

MVO: Like children, we never give up hope.

(Meredith's house)

(Meredith is standing in her bedroom, wrapped in a robe looking out the window at the rain. There is a knock on the door and Meredith sighs)

Meredith: Come in.

(George opens the door and enters and closes it behind him. George walks up to her and struggles to speak for a bit)

George: I know I'm not a world renowned surgeon and I know I'm not a lot of things that you've gone for in the past. I know. ... But ... I would never leave you ... I would never hurt you ... and I will never stop loving you.

(Meredith is silent and just stares at him. She then places her hands on his waist and he does the same to her. She lifts his shirt off him and they lean in to kiss)