02x23 - Blues for Sister Someone

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

02x23 - Blues for Sister Someone

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

2x23: Blues for Sister Someone

Original Airdate: 4/30/2006

Written by: Elizabeth Klaviter

Directed by: Jeffrey Melman

(Hospital basement)

MVO: The key to being a successful intern is what we give up. Sleep, friends, a normal life. We sacrifice it all for that one amazing moment. That moment when you can legally call yourself a surgeon.

(Callie and George come out from underneath the blankets, obviously just having finished having sex.)

Callie: Thank you. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.

(Derek and Addison's trailer. They are lying in bed looking disgusted.)

Addison: Thanks.

MVO: There are days that make the sacrifices seem worthwhile.

Derek (Laughing): Oh, my God. You're thanking my for the most boring sex ever?

Addison: I didn't know what else to say. I mean, you did your best.

Derek: Oh, great. Thanks. You too. It's really nice work.

Addison: We used to be really good at this, didn't we?

Derek: We're going to do this until we get it right. (They butt heads) Ow! Jeez!

(The phone rings.)

Addison: Perfect. Ow.

Derek: That's the hospital. Hello? Hi. No, no, no, no, no. It's about Doc. Yeah. No, I'm here. Yeah, I can pick him up this morning. Sure. Bye. No. Come on.

(Addison takes the phone from Derek.)

Addison: Dr. Dandridge. Dr. Dandridge. I...We're gonna have to call you back. We're trying really hard to have some decent sex here.

(Screen switches to show Meredith on the phone.)

Addison: Come on. What's so funny?

(Meredith is at the vet, she hangs up without saying anything.)

MVO: And then there are the days where everything feels like a sacrifice.

(Finn enters the room with Doc.)

Finn: Everything ok?

Meredith: Yeah. Everything's great. Hey, Doc. You look good. He looks good.

Finn: It may just be a virus. But I'd like to wait until we get the blood tests and the x-ray results back before I say anything for sure.

Meredith: So he can go home today? Cause Derek says he can pick him up.

Finn: He can go home.

Meredith: You hear that, Doc? You can go home.

Finn: So you and Derek, uh...you're together?

Meredith: Uh...Uh, Derek and I are, um, just friends. He's married and I'm knitting a sweater. And, uh, well, I guess I'm rambling, which I tend to do a lot of lately, and I wish somebody would just tell me to shut up. But my point is...yeah, we're...uh...He's married and I'm knitting a sweater.

Finn: So you're single?

Meredith: Single.

Finn: I ask because I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me.

Meredith: Out. With you.

Finn: On a date. Tonight.

Meredith: A date. Tonight.

Finn: And you're repeating everything I say so that you can buy yourself some time and figure out how, a way to let me down easy. It's ok. I get it.

Meredith: No. No. I...I...um...you know, you're very...it's just that if I were, you would...not dating.

MVO: And then there are the sacrifices that you can't even figure out why you're making.

(Richard, Burke and Bailey are standing in front of the OR board.)

Bailey: Another day, and once again I don't see my name on the board. Chief, any reason my name isn't on the board?

(Richard pats her on the back)

Richard: Slow day.

(Richard walks away.)

Bailey: He just patted me on the back. Tell me, when did I become a person who gets patted on the back?

Burke: You think he's mommy tracking you?

Bailey: What...what have you heard?

Burke: How about you handle Denny Duquette for me today?

Bailey: Absolutely. Thank you, Dr. Burke.

(Bailey walks away and Cristina walks up.)

Cristina: I brought you a coffee.

Burke: Oh, thanks. Uh, very thoughtful.

Cristina: What?

Burke: Nothing. I'm just dragging a little. I only did two miles this morning. O'Malley and I were up to six, we pushed each other.

Cristina: Oh, you're missing George.

Burke: No. No, of course not.

Cristina: Drink your coffee.

Burke: No, that's all right. Actually, I'm waiting on...

(George walks up)

George: Cappuccino.

Burke: Hey, O'Malley.

George: Big news. Eugene Foote is here. He's having problems with his pacemaker.

Burke: Eugene Foote is here? What? In this hospital?

George: Uh-huh.

Cristina: Who's Eugene Foote?

George: Genius violinist? Burke's hero? Burke flew down to San Francisco last year, to put in his pacemaker. Burke has like 40 of his albums.

Burke: No. Um, 42.

George: Actually, 43. Because you just got the greatest hits. You know, the one with the DVD.

Burke: Oh! Right. You want in on Foote?

George: Yes. But, uh, I'm on neuro today with Dr. Shepherd.

Burke: Ok.

George: Eugene...

(George runs off)

Cristina: I want in. Hello. I want in.

Burke: Hmm? Oh. Sure. Yeah, right.

Cristina: Burke? Um, I laid on top of you naked last night. So why don't you wax nostalgic about that?

(Meredith and Alex are standing at the nurse's station.)

Meredith: Obviously, I can't go out with him, right?

Alex: Do I look like a chick to you? Do I look like I care about yeast cream or tingling feelings? I mean, he's not in jail or on dr*gs or keeping body parts in his basement. You want to do him, do him.

(Cristina walks up)

Meredith: Not do him. Date him. I'm not doing anybody. I'm knitting.

Cristina: I need Eugene Foote's chart. Oh! Who are we talking about?

Meredith: It's weird, right? I mean, he's Derek's vet. He's Doc's vet. He's my vet. He's McVet. It's weird to date him, right?

Cristina: Wait, did you say vet?

Meredith: Mm-hmm.

Cristina: Like animals? Oh, you can't date a vet. He's not even a real doctor.

(Addison walks up.)

Addison: Damn it! Sex. Hot sex. Need that! Ha-ha, very funny.

Meredith: Mustn't have gone so well this morning.

Cristina: What?

Meredith: Just run if she looks at you.

Addison: I need an intern. Now.

Meredith: I'm with Bailey.

Cristina: I'm with Burke.

Addison: Karev.

Alex: I don't do vag*na. Not as a doctor anyway.

Addison: Oh. Back talk. You know what? You just bought yourself a case.

(Meredith and Bailey enter Denny's room)

Bailey: How you feeling this morning, Denny.

Denny: Great. Be even greater if you'd get me off this machine.

Bailey: Denny, you know I would, but then your heart would stop b*ating, and Dr. Burke would yell at me and that'd make for a very bad day for both of us.

Meredith: Is he a candidate for the portable LVAD?

Denny: Now, see? That's what I'm talking about. Half the size, twice the fun.

(Izzie enters)

Bailey: Ah, you've been doing your research, huh?

Denny: I have.

Izzie: I've already told him, he's not ready for it yet.

Bailey: Dr. Stevens, didn't I assign you to neuro this morning?

Izzie: Yeah. I was...I'm on my way. But could you tell him about the complications?

Meredith: You'd be risking air embolus, v-fib.

Izzie: Yeah and the tubing could kink inside of your body, in which case, we'd have to rush you to emergency surgery.

Bailey: Dr. Stevens, unless Mr. Duquette's heart has suddenly grown a brain, you are currently not doing your job.

Izzie: I'm going. (To Denny) Just don't be stupid, ok?

Denny: You're not the boss of me today, woman.

(Eugene Foote's room)

Eugene: I want you to take it out.

Burke: Take it out? But Mr. Foote, your heart function has improved exponentially since we put the pacemaker in. The setting is working well.

Eugene: You know my music, Dr. Burke.

Burke: Very well, sir. Changed my life.

Eugene: Well, your contraption has changed my heartbeat. It changed my rhythm. I can't play. And that's a sacrifice I am unwilling to make.

Cristina: But you'd be willing to sacrifice your life for your music?

Eugene: They're one and the same.

Burke: Before we do anything drastic, just let me try one more setting on the pacemaker. Listen, one more setting, Mr. Foote. Please.

Eugene: Ok, sure.

(Addison enters the room of Mr. and Mrs. Ward.)

Addison: Hello, Wards.

Kids: Hi.

Addison: We're just waiting on your labs. How you feeling?

Rose: I'm feeling large. Large and cow-like.

Child: Cow?

Rose: Mommy is a cow who needs a quiet talk with the doctor.

Mr. Ward: Hey, guys. Who wants ice cream?

Kids: Me! Me!

(Alex enters the room as Mr. Ward and the kids leave)

Alex: CBC and CHEM-7 look fine.

Addison: Rose?

Rose: I'm sorry. I'm so tired.

Addison: Oh, Rose, well, you know, six kids, 38 weeks pregnant. A saint would be tired.

Rose: Well...I'm no saint. This baby, Joseph...Dr. Shepherd, I need him to be my last. And I really seem to be the most fertile woman on the planet.

Addison: Well, if you're interested in alternative forms of birth control...

Rose: No. What I mean is...today, during the C-section, I need you to tie my tubes. And I need you to do it without my husband ever knowing.

Addison: Rose, you're an adult. He's your husband, not your legal guardian. Telling him would be entirely up to you.

Rose: No, if you charged my insurance he would see it. Any bill you sent, he would see it. I've been saving for this and I can pay you privately.

Addison: So you're saying you want me to do the surgery and leave no record of it?

Alex: Mrs. Ward, if you're being abused, there are people you can talk to.

Rose: Oh, Chris is...He's the opposite of abusive.

Alex: So, if we pull up your medical records we're not gonna find a bunch of old broken bones or...

Rose: If you pull up my medical records, you'll find three natural child births, three C-sections, two hospital stays for exhaustion, and one for dehydration because I was so busy chasing my kids around I forgot to take a sip of water for three days. I think God understands what I'm going through. And I think God will forgive me. But Chris...For him, religion isn't like a buffet table where you get to choose what you want to take and leave the rest. And the Pope says no to birth control, so...I need your help.

Alex: You don't need our help. Your husband's not abusing you. And you don't get to lie to him and blame it on the Pope.

(Outside Rose's room)

Addison: Dr. Karev.

Alex: No offense, but I have no interest in obstetrics or gynecology, Dr. Shepherd. So if you want to throw me off the case, feel free.

Addison: Dr. Karev, I may be a board certified OB/GYN but I also have fellowships in maternal fetal medicine and medical genetics and I'm one of the foremost neonatal surgeons in this country. When you can top that, you can mouth off. Until then, you will do your job and you will do it right, which at this point in time means you keep your mouth shut unless I give you permission to open it. Understood? Understood?

Alex: Oh, are you giving me permission now?

(Derek, George and Izzie enter Ms. Graber's room.)

Derek: Good morning, Ms. Graber.

Ms. Graber: Oh, really? "Good morning?" You haven't let me sleep in three nights.

Derek: Hmm.

Ms. Graber: And this ridiculous hat is destroying my self esteem and I still haven't had a seizure. But, ok, sure, we'll go with "Good morning" if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Derek: Ms. Graber is here for brain mapping. Dr. Stevens?

Izzie: Brain mapping, um it's where you locate the area of the brain where the seizures originate and surgically remove it with minimal damage to the surrounding tissue.

Derek: Excellent.

Ms. Graber: Excellent, except for the fact that it's not working, and I'm losing billable hours. Unless any of you are looking to get out of a bad marriage?

(Derek, George and Izzie have looks on their faces.)

George and Izzie: No.

Ms. Graber: Dr. Shepherd?

Derek: Yes. No. I'm fine, thank you.

Ms. Graber: Really?

Derek: Yes.

Ms. Graber: Cause I'm an excellent divorce attorney.

Derek: I'm sure you are.

Ms. Graber: And there was a look. Between these two.

Derek: A look?

Izzie: No. No look.

Ms. Graber: What is it? You married young and now you have nothing in common? Oh, no, don't tell me. I know. The conversation is still good but the sex has gone to pot.

(Outside Ms. Graber's room.)

Izzie: Make her seize? How do we make someone have a seizure?

Derek: Do your research. Get creative.

George: Well, if all the normal methods have failed, then...what are we supposed to do?

Derek: Use a strobe light. Get her drunk. Hang her from the ceiling upside down and hit with a Wiffle Ball bat for all I care. Ok? Just make her seize. Because until she seizes, I don't know where to operate. And if I don't know where to operate, I can't get this woman out of my life. And this woman is not how I like to start my mornings.

(George and Izzie are sitting a computers, researching.)

Izzie: I'm just curious, George. Curious George. Get it? Never mind. All I'm asking is where you live.

George: Listen to this, there's an old school arcade game that's been know to induce seizures if you reach level 53.

Izzie: Our divorce lawyer is so not playing an arcade game for 53 levels. Oh, George, by the way, um, where do you live?

George: I'm busy doctoring, Dr. Stevens. No time for chitchat.

(Callie enters)

Callie: Morning, Dr. O'Malley.

George: Uh...morning, Dr. Torres.

Callie: Hmm. So, guess what.

(They begin talking and laughing in hushed tones, while Izzie looks on.)

Izzie: Dr. O'Malley, how's all the doctoring going?

(Eugene is playing his violin, Burke is watching on)

Eugene: You tell me.

Burke: It's an honor to hear you play.

Eugene: Too good a man to lie. I'll read your mind: his timing is off. His rhythm is off. This man has no business calling himself Eugene Foote.

Burke: You understand, sir, that in the months since the initial surgery, scar tissue has formed around the pacemaker. Removing it is not nearly as simple as it sounds.

Eugene: I picked up the violin at six years old. It was in my grandfather's attic. I didn't even know what it was. But I remember picking it up. That moment. I remember putting the bow to the strings and pulling. Just that. Just that screechy little chirp. And that was it. I was hooked. You remember a moment like that in your life? I know this surgery could k*ll me. I also know you're the best, which makes you my best sh*t of survival. I'd like you to be the one to operate, Dr. Burke. But if you won't, I'll find someone who will.

(Burke and Cristina are walking down stairs in the hospital.)

Burke: He's right.

Cristina: What? He can't play?

Burke: He can't play like Eugene Foote.

Cristina: Ok. So, uh, surgery?

Burke: He says he will go somewhere else if I refuse. I might let him.

Cristina: Why? Oh, you can't let him go somewhere else. What are you...? Ok, what if it were you? What if you couldn't be a surgeon anymore? Or...Or you could still be one, but...but not a great one. Just average. He can get his surgery somewhere else. But that surgeon might be average.

(Meredith and Bailey are in Denny's room.)

Meredith: EKG, ECHO, and nuclear all within normal limits.

Bailey: Denny, in that case, I see no reason why you can't be up walking.

Denny: Music to my ears, Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: Good. So, you have any questions?

Denny: No. It's...

Bailey: We can put it off. No harm in waiting a few weeks if you have questions. If you're worried.

Denny: I've got 20 tubes coming out of my body, one of which goes directly into my you-know-what. At some point I'd like to use that you-know-what for something besides peeing into a bag. Like, for instance, peeing into a toilet. It's just...Izzie gave me medical advice. You're giving me different advice. It just so happens that yours is the advice I want to hear.

Meredith: Well, Dr. Bailey outranks Dr. Stevens. So, it's safe to say Dr. Bailey's advice is the one to follow. (Meredith gives Denny a "shut up" look.)

Bailey: That's not what he's worried about, Dr. Grey. He's worried that Dr. Stevens might get her ego bruised and her feelings hurt, am I right?

Denny: (glances at Meredith) No, no. Definitely no.

Bailey: Because, it would concern me if you were making medical decisions based on how our Dr. Stevens might feel about it.

Denny: Well, in that case, I say we do this thing. Screw that dizzy blonde doctor girl.

Bailey: That's not helping, Denny.

Denny: No?

Meredith and Bailey: No.

(Outside Denny's room)

Bailey: What's going on between Stevens and Denny? Is it a crush? Is it an innocent flirtation? Or is Stevens actually crossing the line?

Meredith: I know she likes him. I can't imagine Izzie would do that.

Bailey: Uh-huh. I couldn't imagine you and Yang would be stupid enough to fall for your attendings, but I was wrong about that, wasn't I?

Meredith: I'm knitting these days. Plus, I'm thinking about accepting a date with a veterinarian.

Bailey: Grey. Do you actually believe I care?

Meredith: No.

Bailey: Good. Maybe you're not so stupid after all.

(George and Izzie are in Ms. Graber's room.)

Ms. Graber: Explain to me one more time exactly what this is supposed to do.

George: Having the TV this close makes the flickering and flashing bigger and more intense, which can cause seizures.

Ms. Graber: Oh. Normally I don't have time to watch TV, but this week I've discovered Oprah. You know, she's famous in my business for never marrying that boyfriend of hers. Wise, wise woman.

(George and Izzie sit on a couch in the room while Ms. Graber watches the TV.)

Izzie: So, first you won't tell me where you live and now I'm on the outside of your inside jokes, with Callie. When did I end up on the outside, George?

George: You're not on the outside.

Izzie: Ok, now you're lying. To my face.

George: You're being paranoid.

Ms. Graber: Well, I'm not seizing. But I am having an acid flashback. Does that count?

(Addison and Alex are in Rose Wade's room.)

Addison: Rose...Seven kids...it's a lot. Are you sure that Chris isn't feeling the same way? When we were first married, we were so broke that I went on the pill, for a while. And Chris stopped taking Communion. When he does that, he thinks he's...

Alex: Thinks he's going to hell. He thinks you're both going to hell.

Rose: The reason we haven't had a baby in four years is because we abstained for three. Now can you imagine not being able to make love to your husband?

Addison: Um...the, uh...pill...

Rose: I can't hide the pill. He would find out.

Alex: If he found out, what? I mean, he won't divorce you. He doesn't believe in that.

Rose: Do you see the way he's looking at me, right now?

Addison: Dr. Karev was just leaving.

Rose: No, no, no. Just...just look at him for a minute. That look he has on his face, that's how my husband would look at me if he knew about any of this. And I can't have my husband look at me like that. And I can't have any more babies.

(Izzie, Cristina and Meredith are sitting around a nurse's station.)

Izzie: For the record? I am on your side today. George sucks.

Cristina: Hmm. Burke doesn't think so. He's his new best friend.

Izzie: I wonder if Burke knows where he lives. How's Denny doing? Bailey's not caving in on the LVAD thing, is she?

Meredith: About that...I thought Alex was kidding when he said you dumped him for a heart patient. Did you really dump him for a heart patient?

Izzie: Of course not.

Meredith: Because Denny's a patient. We can't fall for our patients.

Cristina: You're falling for a vet.

Meredith: I'm considering the possibility of maybe having a date with a vet.

Cristina: That's all I'm saying.

Meredith: My point is, Bailey's on the warpath about you and Denny. So just be careful.

(OR, Rose's baby has just been delivered.)

Addison: How's the sponge count, Dr. Karev?

Alex: There all accounted for, but I see a bleeder here.

Addison: It's small. Get the Bovie and cauterize it.

Alex: I got it.

Addison: That's good. Uh, there's a little bleeding near the tube here. Can you hand me the Bovie, Dr. Karev?

Alex: I don't see any abnormal bleeding.

Addison: Are you the surgeon here?

Alex: No.

Addison: Then give me the Bovie. Give me the Bovie, Dr. Karev.

(Rose's room, Addison and Alex are there)

Addison: Hey there, Joseph. Welcome to the world. Rose, before we bring your family in to see you, I wanted to let you know that there was a complication with your surgery. We had some unexpected bleeding that caused damage to both fallopian tubes.

Rose: So you're saying...?

Addison: You won't be able to have any more children.

Rose: Thank you, Dr. Shepherd.

Addison: As I said, it was...a complication.

Rose: I understand.

(Alex and Addison leave the room.)

Alex: A complication? That's what you're calling it?

Addison: That's what it was.

Alex: Really? Cause in that case, it's one of the most bizarre obstetric complications in history.

Addison: She is our patient. Our obligation is to her and her only.

(Meredith enters the elevator where Derek is.)

Meredith: Hey.

Derek: Well, hey.

Meredith: Uh, you picked up Doc?

Derek: Yeah. He's home.

Meredith: He seems to be doing much better.

Derek: He seems to be doing good.

Meredith: (Laughing) I'm not laughing at you.

Derek: No.

Meredith: No, it's just, you know, bad sex isn't really something that wives want announced to the dirty ex-mistress.

Derek: You're not the dirty ex-mistress. You're her friend. She's your friend. I'm your friend. We're all...friends.

Meredith: But you didn't tell her.

Derek: No. How's your day going?

Meredith: Great.

Derek: Good.

Meredith: The vet asked me if we...

Derek: What? What did he ask you?

Meredith: If we were together.

Derek: Uh-huh.

Meredith: And I set him straight.

(The elevator opens)

Derek: Good day, Meredith.

Meredith: You too, Derek.
(Ms. Graber's room.)

Ms. Graber: I'm not drinking another sh*t of espresso. I can't.

George: You can. You're the best divorce attorney in Seattle.

Izzie: The best.

George: You can kick that espresso sh*t's ass.

Izzie: Kick it.

George: Kick it.

Both: Kick it, kick! Yeah!

Ms. Graber: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Ok, good. So, caffeine's for seizures. What's the doughnuts for?

Izzie: They are to absorb some of the coffee so it doesn't burn a hole through your stomach.

Ms. Graber: Good. Ok, good idea. Mm. Oh. Do you know how long it has been since I have had a doughnut? I really, really, really, really, really like doughnuts.

George: Well then, why don't you eat them?

Ms. Graber: Got to stay on top of my game. No time for exercise. No carbs. No sugar. Can't have a sugar crash in court. You know, stupid court. Court is stupid because I love doughnuts.

(Derek enters)

Izzie: You're making really good progress.

(Bailey and Meredith are in Denny's room. Richard enters.)

Denny: Hey there, Chief. You here for my big moment?

Richard: Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, Denny.

(He starts looking over Bailey's shoulder.)

Bailey: Is there something I can do for you, Chief?

Richard: His EKG?

Bailey: Normal. As well as his ECHO and nuclear study.

Richard: Mm-hmm. His perfusion?

Bailey: He's ready, Chief.

Richard: Well, looking good. Carry on.

Bailey: Thank you, sir.

(Ms. Graber's room, she is playing a video game.)

Ms. Graber: Die! Die! Oh, yeah! Oh, yeah! Next level. I'm at the next level. God, this is exhilarating!

George: Good. Keep going. Keep going. You only have 12 more levels before you reach prime seizure potential.

Izzie: This is fun. Yeah, right? You know? Like fun that we had at home back when you used to tell me things. Like where you live?

George: Don't start that again.

Izzie: I'm not starting anything, I'm just saying, there's fun to be had. All the time, with me, your best friend.

George: It's not like we're in high school.

Izzie: George, don't do the whispering under your breath thing. If you've got something to say, say it.

George: Yeah, last time you gave me that advice it went really well.

Izzie: You're seriously pissed at me because of what happened between you and Meredith?

George: No. Yeah.

(Eugene's surgery, violin music is playing.)

Burke: Oh. He recorded this at the Hollywood Bowl a couple years ago.

Cristina: It's nice.

Burke: It's not nice. It's brilliant.

(Mr. Ward walks up to Alex at the nurse's station.)

Mr. Ward: Excuse me. You were one of my wife's doctors, weren't you? Rose Ward?

Alex: Yes, I was.

Mr. Ward: She just told me there was a complication with her C-section.

(George and Izzie are in Ms. Graber's room, arguing.)

Izzie: I told you to tell her how you feel, I did not tell you to jump into bed with her.

George: Whatever you told me...

Ms. Graber: Adultery.

George: Why did you send me in there? Was it to humiliate me?

Izzie: No...

George: I mean, if you knew she didn't love me, why? What kind of friend does that?

(Alex and Mr. Ward at the nurse's station.)

Mr. Ward: It's just...it was shocking. Someone says there's a complication and everything changes.

(Denny's room, he is sitting up, wheezing.)

Denny: I...can't...breathe.

Richard: Are all those batteries...

Bailey: Yes, they're charged. I checked them myself.

Meredith: He's having runs of V-tach.

Richard: Could be an air embolism.

Bailey: I got it.

(Eugene's surgery.)

Burke: Damn it. We got to tamponade.

Nurse: BP's not registering.

Burke: Keep transfusing PRBCs. He has a full ventricular perforation. Hand me a 2-0 prolene. Cristina. Replace my hand with yours. Yes. And hold on for dear life.

(George and Izzie in Ms. Graber's room, still arguing.)

Izzie: You didn't want to hear it.

George: Yes, I...

Ms. Graber: Oh, some denial. I can work with that.

Izzie: You wanted to keep on loving her, George. You did not want to hear it.

(Denny's room)

Meredith: Should we intubate?

Richard: We'll call respiratory to do it.

(Mr. Ward and Alex)

Mr. Ward: Rose says it's a blessing. It's God's will. Maybe it is.

Alex: Maybe it is. A blessing, I mean. This complication.

(Eugene's OR)

Cristina: His heart's not moving at all.

Burke: Keep compressing as I was doing.

Doctor: There's no signs of life. Blood pressure is nonexistent.

(Denny's room)

Richard: Ok, the tubing could be kinked. We need to move him to the OR.

Bailey: Sir, I got this.

Richard: Well, it doesn't look like you've got this.

Bailey: I've got this.

(Ms. Graber's room)

Izzie: Oh, my God! You knew the risks! You knew she was in love with someone else...

Ms. Graber: I'm getting an aura.

Izzie: No! I am not saying that what she did wasn't wrong. I am just saying that you need to take a tiny piece of responsibilty...

(Ms. Graber starts seizing)

George: She's seizing. Go page, Shepherd.

(Alex and Mr. Ward)

Alex: This complication might be God's way of helping you put your seven kids through college.

Mr. Ward: What are you saying?

Alex: I'm saying get a lawyer.

(Alex walks away.)

(Denny starts breathing normally)

(Eugene flatlines)

Burke: Time of death: 18:32.

(Meredith is in Denny's room checking on him)

Meredith: Everything looks good, Denny.

Denny: Well, you gotta thank Dr. Bailey for me. I mean, I already thanked her once, but this here deserves a double scoop.

Meredith: I know I don't know you very well.

Denny: You want to talk to me about Izzie?

Meredith: Yeah.

Denny: Because you disapprove?

Meredith: No. This comes from nothing resembling a high horse. High horses want nothing to do with me. You know, this thing with you and Izzie, it's...there are strict rules about doctors dating patients.

Denny: You know Izzie pretty well, right? You think if I went to her and I said, "Hey, you know, this is going to be really bad for your career." "You probably shouldn't come round and see me anymore," you think that'll have any effect at all? The thing is, I was healthy my whole life until I wasn't. And for the last year, I've had a lot of time to lay around in bed and think about my life. And the things that I remember best? Well, those are the things that I wasn't supposed to do and I did them anyway. So the thing is, Meredith...life is too damn short to be following these rules.

(Richard and Bailey are in the hallway)

Bailey: May I ask what motive you had for undermining my authority in front of my patient and intern?

Richard: I'm not punishing you, Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: But you are. I mean, I had a baby. And so you are.

Richard: Yes, you had a baby. And now you're sleep deprived.

Bailey: Every doctor in this hospital is sleep deprived.

Richard: You just came back from maternity leave, and I'm not convinced you're back on your game. This is not a punishment or a reflection on how highly I value you. It's just the way it is.

(Nurse walks up and points to Mr. Ward.)

Nurse: I'm sorry to interrupt, Chief. But that man over there is asking to talk to you.

Richard: Excuse me.

(Vet's office, Finn is there when Meredith enters.)

Finn: I thought you were knitting a sweater.

Meredith: I am. But I'm also dating. You. If you still want to. I should've called, you know. I was going to call...

Finn: No, no. Uh...don't call. Never call. Always show up.

Meredith: Ok.

Finn: Ok. But I can't tonight. I've got an errand I have to run.

Meredith: I run errands.

(They enter a stable)

Finn: This shouldn't take too long. And we can grab dinner right after.

Meredith: After?

Finn: After she gives birth.

Meredith: We're birthing a horse?

Finn: Yeah.

Meredith: That was your errand? You're birthing a horse?

Finn: Yeah. I guess I could've mentioned it before. But, you know, I didn't want to scare you back to your knitting. She's getting anxious. You can wait back here.

Meredith: Back here?

Finn: If you want, I mean. It gets a little messy.

Meredith: Are you kidding? I want to birth a horse.

(Addison walks up to the nurse's station where Richard is standing.)

Addison: Richard, we have to talk about Alex Karev. I know he's talented, but his attitude, in my opinion, has reached an unacceptable low.

Richard: Addison. You've got a bigger problem today than Alex Karev. Mr. Ward has been speaking with our attorney regarding his wife's surgery. Now I read your chart. I read the nurse's notes. Now, can you explain to me what kind of complication from a C-section leads to the severing of both fallopian tubes?

(Derek is in Ms. Graber's room)

Derek: Well, the bad news is...you had a grand mal seizure. The good news is we mapped it, so now we can operate.

Mrs. Graber: No. I've decided against surgery, Dr. Shepherd.

Derek: I'm sorry.

Mrs. Graber. No offense. The risks of craniotomy...when you described them, they're not terribly appealing.

Derek: Yes, there are risks. But you have to weigh those risks with the uh, detrimental effect your seizure disorder has on your life.

Ms. Graber: Unless my life is having a detrimental effect on my seizure disorder. It's like with you and your wife: is the bad sex your biggest problem or are all the bigger problems causing the bad sex?

Derek: I'm, uh...I'm not going to answer that.

Ms. Graber: All right, my point is, I had more fun today that I can remember. I don't have any friend. I don't have any fun. I only have work. Work and seizures. And it's no coincidence that when the work stopped, the seizures stopped. Until these two started arguing.

Derek: All right, I'm gonna talk to them about that.

Ms. Graber: No, you don't get it. Watching people fight...oh. It's been my whole life for 15 years. So, I'm changing my life. Look and if that doesn't work, I'll come back here and let you cut open my brain, ok?

Derek: All right. Fair enough.

(Stable, baby foal stands up.)

Finn: It's pretty good, huh?

Meredith: Yeah, it's pretty good.

(Addison enters Rose Ward's room)

Addison: How're you feeling

Rose: A little sore.

Addison: Oh, that's to be expected.

Rose: I'm sorry I told Chris about the complication. I just...I just thought he should know that Joseph would be our last. So he could savor it. I didn't know he was going to do this.

Addison: Rose. I need you to tell him that you asked me to tie your tubes.

Rose: For you, it's just insurance. And you don't even have to pay. For me, it's my marriage. It's my family.

Addison: It's my career, Rose. It's my reputation.

Rose: You're the best. People come from all over the country to see you. That won't change. I can't tell him. Dr. Shepherd...I'm so sorry because I am so grateful to you. But I can't tell him.

(Burke is in a scrub room, he is listening to Eugene's music)

(Finn's apartment)

Finn: Is it coming off?

Meredith: Not exactly.

Finn: I'm sorry.

Meredith: Oh, don't be. It was a great date.

Finn: Technically it wasn't the date. It was the errand. Now...we could go up to my place. I could cook for you.

Meredith: Go up to your place?

Finn: Well, do you want to come up to my place?

Meredith: Yeah. I mean, no. No, I don't. I...I do. But I don't.

Finn: You don't know?

Meredith: No, I do. I mean, I...I know. No, I don't.

Finn: All right, well, here's the deal. Um...you have two options. You could come up to my place, take off all your clothes, shower off the goo, borrow one of my shirts, and I'll cook you dinner. That's door number one Door number two...you go home. I think you ought to take door one, because, you know. It involves you naked in my apartment. But, you know...that's just me.

Meredith: I should point out that there's absolutely nothing you could say that would make me go upstairs with you. I'm kind of offended that you think that I would go upstairs with you. And you should know that I am celibate. So...

Finn: Shut up.

Meredith: I absolutely cannot have...sex with you.

Finn: If you choose door number one, I absolutely will not have sex with you.

Meredith: You won't?

Finn: I promise I won't. I won't even try to kiss you.

Meredith: Why not?

Finn: Meredith.

Meredith: What?

Finn: Choose door number one.

MVO: A wise man once said, "You can have anything in life, if you will sacrifice everything else for it."

(Ms. Graber's room, she is packing to go home.)

George: I hope it works. You changing your life.

Ms. Graber: So do I.

George: Ok.

Ms. Graber: Hey, George. I don't know much but I do know fighting. And people who fight like you and Izzie...those people love each other. She misses her friend.

MVO: What he meant is, nothing comes without a price.

(Addison walks past Alex in a stairway.)

Alex: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

MVO: So before you go into battle, you better decide how much you're willing to lose.

Addison: Dr. Karev. You did such a good job today that I'm going to talk to Dr. Bailey and have you assigned to my service.

Alex: What? For how long?

Addison: For as long as I want. Your ass is mine until I say otherwise. Congratulations.

Izzie is in Denny's room. He is standing at the doorway[/i])

Izzie: You got it.

Denny: I did indeed.

Izzie: And you're ok?

Denny: Are you kidding me? I'm great. I mean look at this. Some nice sized batteries, colorful wires. It's what your best dressed LVAD patients are wearing these days, you know?

Izzie: Really? Because it seems so last fall.

(They hug)

Izzie: You're tall.

Denny: I know.

(Bailey walks up and sees them hugging.)

MVO: Too often, going after what feels good, means letting go of what you know is right.

(Cristina sits down on the bed next to Burke)

Cristina: You did everything you could.

Burke: There was an interview that Eugene gave. I saved it. I taped it to my bathroom mirror. He said that he wasn't the most talented student at music school. But he said what he lacked in natural ability he made up for in discipline. He practiced. All the time. All the time, he practiced. I wasn't like you. I wasn't the most talented student in school. I wasn't the brightest. But I was the best.

Cristina: You practiced.

Burke: I practiced.

MVO: And letting someone in means abandoning the walls you've spent a lifetime building.

(Derek carries Doc into Finn's place.)

Derek: I got home he was listless and hadn't eaten all day.

Finn: Oh, no. Lets have a look.

(Meredith walks down the stairs and sees Derek standing there. She has obviously just gotten out of the shower.)

MVO: Of course the toughest sacrifices are the ones we don't see coming.

Derek: Hey.

(Derek gives her a look)

Meredith: Is he sick again?

Derek: Yeah.

(George enters Meredith's house with Callie right behind him)

Izzie: George! Hey.

George. Hey.

Izzie: Oh, hi.

Callie: Hey.

George: So we spent the night at Callie's last night, so we figured we'd just spend the night here.

Izzie: Um, ok. So, um...you're back then just...for tonight?

George: Well, Callie's here for the night. I'm, uh...I don't know. It's my room, you know. I pay rent.

Izzie: Welcome home.

MVO: When we don't have time to come up with a strategy, to pick a side or measure the potential loss.

(Derek enters the trailer where Addison is. Derek starts undressing.)

Addison: You would not believe the day I had. I went out of my way to give a patient exactly what she wants, only to have it explode in my face. I mean, lawsuit, threats, Richard's pissed. Don't even get me started about Alex Karev.

Derek: Get in the shower.

Addison: What?

Derek: Get in the shower with me.

Addison: Honey, it's a very small shower.

Derek: You want to have hot sex?

(He is naked and she starts taking her clothes off quickly.)

Addison: Thank you.

MVO: When that happens, when the battle chooses us, and not the other way around, that's when the sacrifice can turn out to be more than we can bear.

(They enter the shower and can be seen pressing up against the glass.)