03x03 - Sometimes a Fantasy

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

03x03 - Sometimes a Fantasy

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

3x03: Sometimes a Fantasy

Original Airdate: 10/05/06

Written by: Debora Cahn

Directed by: Adam Arkin

Transcribed exclusively for TVTDB.com

INT. MEREDITH'S HOUSE

(Meredith is lying in her bed.)

MEREDITH (V.O.): Surgeons usually fantasize about wild and improbable surgeries. Someone collapses in a restaurant; we splice them open with a butter Kn*fe. Replace a valve with a hollowed-out stick of carrot. But every now and then, some other kind of fantasy slips in.

(Meredith turns to her left, where Derek is lying in her bed, naked.)

DEREK: Good morning.

MEREDITH: Good morning.

(Derek and Meredith kiss. Derek then looks over to Meredith's right, where we see Finn on the other side of the bed.)

DEREK: Good morning.

FINN: It is a good morning. (Meredith rolls over to face Finn.) Hi.

MEREDITH: Hi.

(They kiss.)

FINN: Did you get any sleep last night?

MEREDITH: Not really.

DEREK: Do you want to get some now?

MEREDITH: Not really.

(Both Derek and Finn lean in towards Meredith, but a loud thump pulls her from her dream.)

GEORGE: Ow!

MEREDITH (V.O.): Most of our fantasies dissolve when we wake. Banished to the back of our mind. But sometimes we're sure, if we try hard enough, we can live the dream.

(Meredith tries to go back to sleep. Another louder thump comes from the hallway. Meredith gets up from her bed and opens her door. In the hallway, George is wrestling with some cardboard boxes)

GEORGE: Damn! Stupid! Ow!

MEREDITH: I was having a really good dream and you ruined it.

GEORGE: Sorry. These boxes... Oh there boxes! Callie said she was bringing her stuff over and... it's all here.

MEREDITH: It's OK George, I don't mind.

GEORGE: I don't mind either. Nah, I don't mind a bit. (George moves closer to Meredith.) Kick her out.

MEREDITH: What? I can't kick her out. You were the one who told her she could move in.

GEORGE: That she could stay for a couple of days, a couple of days! It's been over a week. Now there are boxes and she's using my computer and she's here all the time. Would you kick her out? Kick her out now.

(Callie emerges from the bathroom, having just taken a shower. A red towel is wrapped around her.)

CALLIE: Hey you guys might want to wait a little while, there's no more hot water.

GEORGE (whispering to Meredith) : Do it.

(Izzie emerges from her room.)

IZZIE: Hey. Can I get a ride with you guys to the hospital?

MEREDITH: You're going to the hospital?

IZZIE: Yeah. I'm... I'm gonna go in. Talk to the Chief. See about coming back. Anyway, just let me know when you're leaving.

(Izzie walks back into her room.)

CALLIE: That's great, Izzie's coming back. That's great, right?

MEREDITH: Mhhm.

GEORGE: That's my towel.

CALLIE: Oh, sorry.

(Callie hands George the towel. She is now standing naked in the hallway. George takes the towel and walks off.)

CALLIE: God, he's really moody in the mornings.

MEREDITH (uncomfortable): Yeah. He's... yeah.

CALLIE: Yeah.

(Callie walks off and Meredith returns to her room.)

INT. HOTEL ROOM

(Mark is lying in bed. Addison is getting dressed.)

MARK: You know I don't have to leave today. I could change my flight.

ADDISON: No. No you can't, because I'm sober now and... there's work to get to and planes to be caught and real lives to be led. Thank you, truly Mark, for all of the sex. I really... I feel much better now, I do. And I...Well, now I have to go. And so do you. So, uh, do you want me to call you... a cab to the airport?

(Mark pulls Addison back down onto the bed.)

INT. BURKE'S APARTMENT

(Burke is lying on a couch, throwing a ball against the wall. Cristina walks into the room.)

CRISTINA: Why don't you try your bad hand. That's what that ball's for, right? Fixing your bad hand?

(Using his bad hand, Burke violently throws the ball against a mug of coffee sitting in the middle of the room. The mug falls to the ground.)

BURKE: Works.

CRISTINA: There's coffee on the floor. (Pause) Fine, you know what, I'll clean it up.

BURKE: Whatever. Leave it. It doesn't matter.

EXT. OUTSIDE OF SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Callie, George, Meredith and Izzie are walking from the parking lot to the hospital.)

CALLIE: So I was thinking, since you shift ends after mine and I don't want to have to wait around, maybe I should get a copy of the house key.

GEORGE: No. I like leaving together. You don't need a key.

(They arrive at the hospital entrance. Izzie stops walking.)

MEREDITH: Izzie?

IZZIE: I'll see you guys in there.

MEREDITH: Everything's gonna be fine. Bailey is on your side. And the Chief is... He is gonna put on his angry face, but he's on your side too.

GEORGE: Everybody wants you back in that building.

IZZIE: I know. I know. You guys go ahead, I'll be fine. I'm just gonna take a minute, practice my speech.

MEREDITH: OK.

(Callie, George and Meredith walk into the hospital.)

INT. CHIEF'S OFFICE - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Richard is sat behind his desk. Bailey is standing on the other side of it.)

RICHARD: I didn't ask you to convince her to come in...

BAILEY: But I did. I did convince her.

RICHARD: There is a whole series of disciplinary and rehabilitative steps that Izzie Stevens will have to take before we can...

BAILEY: You can explain them to her.

RICHARD: I never agreed to that.

BAILEY: She didn't commit a crime. She's an intern, my intern. You wanna blame someone, blame me. Look, but that girl is coming in here today and... and you are going to talk to her. And you're gonna remember all the other surgeons you've known who've ever had a lapse in judgement that led to someone dying, or someone's arm falling off. Most importantly, you're gonna remember all the mistakes that you made when you were young and stupid. And you're gonna be filled with patience and compassion!

RICHARD: That's what I'm gonna do?

BAILEY (shouting): Yes!

(Richard stands and crosses his arms.)

RICHARD: Because I'm the boss...

BAILEY: I'm... Look I didn't mean any disrespect, sir. I apologise.

RICHARD: This is really important to you, personally?

BAILEY: Very personally sir, yes.

(Richard sits again.)

RICHARD: Being the boss isn't as gratifying as it used to be.

BAILEY: No, sir.

RICHARD: Get out of here.

INT. SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Cristina and Meredith are walking through the hospital hallways.)

CRISTINA: I'm on my knees in a puddle of coffee, and he's lying on the couch playing with himself, you know? And not in a good way.

MEREDITH: But he's recovering from surgery, and you've read the studies on recovery and depression in surgical patients.

CRISTINA: Yeah well he's not a patient, he's Preston Burke. He's just milking it. Now he's got me fetching his food and the paper and his slippers like I'm a dog.

(Cristina and Meredith reach the elevator. Derek steps out of it, carrying two cups of coffee.)

DEREK: Hey!

MEREDITH: Hi! I had a dream about you last night.

DEREK: You did? What was I doing? Bringing you coffee?

MEREDITH: You were definitely not bringing me coffee. But coffee's good.

DEREK: I'm told dating starts with a casual invitation over a cup of coffee.

MEREDITH: Does it?

DEREK: So Meredith, would you like to go out to dinner with me tonight? How was that? Was that casual enough? That was good right?

MEREDITH: So we're dating.

DEREK: We're dating. Pick you up at eight.

(Derek walks off. The elevator opens again and Finn steps out of it, carrying a paper bag.)

MEREDITH: Hey!

FINN: I was in the neighbourhood. Actually I wasn't but I decided you were worth the detour.

MEREDITH: I had a dream about you last night.

FINN: Was it a good dream?

MEREDITH: It was.

FINN: And what was I doing?

CRISTINA: Yes Mer, what was he doing?

MEREDITH: What's that?

FINN: It's for you. It's a coffee cake. Best in the North-West. Figured I'd better soften you up so that when I ask you to dinner tonight you have to say yes.

CRISTINA: Uh, dinner tonight? How about that? Are you free tonight, Meredith?

MEREDITH: Actually, uh, I'm not free tonight.

FINN: Well how about lunch? I could come here.

MEREDITH: You're volunteering to eat hospital food?

FINN: I love crappy food.

MEREDITH: One o'clock?

FINN: I'll be here.

MEREDITH: OK.

(Finn walks away.)

CRISTINA: You had a dream about the both of them? Threesome? (Meredith smiles.) Nice. Just when I think you're boring, you rise.

MEREDITH: I'm dating. (Meredith looks at her cup of coffee and her paper bag.) And it comes with snacks.

(Alex is walking from the parking lot to the hospital. He sees Izzie, who is still standing in front of the hospital entrance.)

ALEX: Hey Iz.

IZZIE: Hey. I'm going in to see the Chief.

ALEX: Excellent. Back in the game, stepping up to the plate. Look I'm running late, I'll catch you later.

IZZIE: Yeah, later.

(Alex walks into the hospital.)

INT. NURSES STATION - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Alex walks over to the nurses station, where Meredith, Cristina and George are eating the coffee cake.)

ALEX: Izzie's back, that's good. Ooh, coffee cake.

MEREDITH: I'm dating.

(Alex reaches for the cake. Cristina grabs his arm.)

CRISTINA: Touch that piece, lose a hand.

(Bailey walks up to them.)

BAILEY: Morning people. Grey, we're clearing the decks. I need you writing discharge forms. Yang, you're with Doctor Shepherd. Karev, as usual, you're with Doctor Montgomery Shepherd in OBGYN. O'Malley, Doctor Torres has requested you today in Ortho.

(Bailey walks away.)

CRISTINA: Was she smiling?

ALEX: Izzie's back!

(Cristina and Alex walk off.)

GEORGE: "Doctor Torres has requested you"?

MEREDITH: Just tell her George. Tell her you're not ready to move in together. And then try dating. Dating is fun.

(George and Meredith walk off. Addison calls over to Alex.)

ADDISON: Karev, we ready?

ALEX: Isn't this getting old for you?

ADDISON: Nope. Makes my whole day actually. (Addison's cellphone rings. She answers it.) Hello. Hello? Are you OK? No, uh, no I can't I've got to... Five minutes. (She hangs up. To Alex.) Go find something to do in the pit.

ALEX: Personal problem...

ADDISON: Go.

(Alex walks off, jumping with joy.)

INT. THE PIT - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Alex walks into the pit. A nurse hands him a patient's file.)

NURSE: Fourth visit in three months.

(Alex walks over to a young patient lying on a hospital bed, her parents on either side of her.)

ALEX: I'm Doctor Karev, and you are...

MEGAN: Megan Clover, and it is not as bad as it looks.

MRS CLOVER: She fell in the playground, and there was a lot of blood and it looked deep.

MR CLOVER: We know how this looks. Just so you know, we know how this looks, and it's not that. She just plays rough, you know. This is her file, and it goes back since way before we got her.

ALEX: Before you got her?

MRS CLOVER: We're her foster parents. She's such a great kid, but she plays really rough.

MR CLOVER: She plays rough.

ALEX: Right. Well why don't you guys go up to the nurses station and let them make a copy of her file for you, and I'll take a look at Megan's leg.

MRS CLOVER: OK. We'll be right back honey. You alright?

MEGAN: Yeah.

MRS CLOVER: OK.

(Mr and Mrs Clover walk over to the nurses station.)

ALEX: You've got some mean looking bruises, you know that? (Alex notices a plaster on Megan's arm.) What, you hurt your arm too?

MEGAN (defensively): Nothing big, I fell off my bike.

(Alex rips of the plaster. Beneath it is a large wound which has been stapled together.)

ALEX: Are those staples? What the hell? Did they do this to you?

MEGAN: No! No!

ALEX: Who did this to you?

MEGAN: I did. I didn't want to go to the doctor again so I just stapled it. It's no biggie.

ALEX: You stapled your own arm?

MEGAN: Can you please just stitch up my leg so we can get out of here?

ALEX: You're not going anywhere with those people Megan. They're never gonna lay a hand on you again.

MEGAN: They didn't do anything. Please, they're my best parents I've ever had.

ALEX: Megan...

MEGAN: They don't hurt me. I can't be hurt. You don't believe me? Punch me in the stomach, right now.

ALEX: The staples are in there pretty deep. I'm gonna have to give you a sh*t to numb the pain.

(Alex prepares the needle.)

MEGAN: I don't need a sh*t!

ALEX: Trust me, you want a sh*t. It's swollen, it's gonna hurt like a...

(Megan pulls the staples out of her arm.)

MEGAN: There. Can I go now?

ALEX: That didn't even hurt?

(Megan motions Alex to come closer. He leans in towards her.)

MEGAN (whispering): I have superpowers, OK?

INT. PATIENT'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Derek and Cristina are standing around a patient's bed, Taylor Tressel.)

DEREK: Mr Tressel's having a corpus callosotomy. What's that gonna look like?

CRISTINA: We'll be severing some of the fibres that connect the right and left hemisphere of his brain to prevent the spread of seizure activity from one half of his brain to the other.

DEREK: Good.

(Taylor Tressel's wife, Leanne is standing in the corner of the room, talking to their baby.)

LEANNE: Daddy's letting them chop his brain in half, because Daddy's a big dummy. Yes he is.

TAYLOR: They're not chopping my brain in half, Leanne.

DEREK: Taylor should function much like he does right now.

LEANNE: Really?

TAYLOR: I'm having five seizures a day Leanne.

LEANNE: I know that.

TAYLOR: You don't leave me in a room alone with the baby. You think I don't notice? You ask your mother to come by every time you need to take a shower.

LEANNE: That's not the reason...

TAYLOR: It's because you think I'm a danger to the baby. And I am.

(Pause.)

DEREK: Look if you're not sure, for any reason, we can wait.

TAYLOR TRESSEL: I want to be able to take care of our baby. Please Leanne, we already agreed. Please.

(Leanne nods to Derek and Cristina.)

INT. X-RAY ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Bailey is checking some X-Rays. Alex walks into the room.)

ALEX: I got this kid in the pit. She's psycho and her foster parents are b*ating the crap out of her.

BAILEY: She tell you that, or you figure it out yourself?

ALEX: She's covered in bruises, she's got a ten centimetre lac' on her arm with three staples in it. Like from a staple g*n in your garage.

BAILEY: Her parents did that?

ALEX: Well she said she did it herself. She's got this whole bit about being a superhero and how she can take the pain.

BAILEY: Well you call social services?

ALEX: They're on their way down.

BAILEY: OK, well have them speak to the parents while you run a cold pressure test on the girl.

ALEX: A what?

BAILEY: Ice water. Test her response to pain. At the very least it'll keep her distracted while the parents are questioned.

(Alex leaves the room.)

INT. HALLWAY - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(George walks over to Callie, who is standing in front of a patient's room.)

GEORGE: You requested me?

CALLIE: Yeah, I did. You were weird this morning.

GEORGE: I wasn't weird. Any more than I normally am in the morning. It's a weird time of day for a lot of people. It's bright and... crowded in our house in the morning. There's just a lot of people running around.

CALLIE: Good. We have a radical case today. You're gonna be glad you're with me.

(Callie and George walk into the patient's room. Callie hands George the patient's chart.)

GEORGE: Thanks.

(Callie pulls back the curtain around the patient's bed.)

CALLIE: Mr Jasper Hovie!

JASPER: Doctor T! You miss me?

CALLIE: More than words can say. This is Doctor O'Malley. He's going to be helping out.

GEORGE: Hi.

JASPER: How are you doing? June twelfth baby! Two point four mile swim. A hundred and twelve miles on the bike and then a marathon.

CALLIE: Mm, that is rockin'.

JASPER: Am I gonna be ready?

CALLIE: You bet your sculpted ass you are.

JASPER: (laughing): I love this woman!

GEORGE: You had three surgeries last year.

CALLIE: Yeah, two rotator cuffs and an ACL.

JASPER: All with Doctor T.

GEORGE: And now you're having an ankle replacement?

CALLIE: Yeah we waited over a year for a match. We're gonna replace his ankle with an ankle joint from a cadaver.

JASPER: Who's my guy?

CALLIE: Your donor?

JASPER: Well he hasn't been dead long, right?

CALLIE: Um, about a week. He's downstairs.

JASPER: No way! Can I meet him? Pay my respects?

CALLIE: I don't think you two are gonna have much to talk about. Doctor O'Malley's gonna handle your labs.

(Callie leaves the room, laughing.)

JASPER: Have you met my guy?

(Alex enters the pit carrying a bucket of ice cold water and walks over to Megan.)

ALEX: Hey superkid.

MEGAN: Where are my parents?

ALEX: They're talking to some grown-ups.

MEGAN: I'm not a moron. They're talking to a social worker.

ALEX: Megan, these bruises, these cuts all over you, this isn't normal.

MEGAN: I get in fights a lot, OK? �Cause I'm stronger than some of the other kids, so I end up defending the ones who are wimpy or small or whatever.

ALEX: You know you're scrawny, right? I mean you're not one of the big kids.

MEGAN: Yeah, but I can take them in a fight.

ALEX: Alright. (Motioning to the bucket.) Put your hands in here.

MEGAN: Why?

ALEX: Because, we're gonna test your superpowers.

MEGAN: You don't believe me? Punch me in the stomach, right here. Come on, punch me in the stomach.

ALEX: Let's just stick to the water. Put your hand in here, and I'll... I'll race you. You can race me. (Megan stares at Alex.) What? Come one. What are you afraid of... afraid of a little ice? You afraid I'm gonna b*at you? Come on, on the count of three. One. Two. Three. (They both plunge their hands into the cold water.) Pull your hand out when it starts to hurt please.

MEGAN: What are you deaf? It won't start to hurt. Just think about it, OK? Superheroes are all kids with dead parents. Like me. And they all figured out when they were around my age that they could do things nobody else could. Like me.

INT. JOE'S BAR

(Addison walks over to a table where Mark is sitting.)

ADDISON: You missed your place?

MARK: Grounded on account of bad weather.

ADDISON: It's a cloudless sky. That happens like twice a year in Seattle.

MARK: Yeah but there's a typhoon in New York. Sit down, have a drink with me.

ADDISON: No I'm not having a drink with you. I am working, at work. Not here.

MARK :It's a coffee, alright?

ADDISON: Mark...

MARK: Joe, can we get the doctor a coffee?

(Alex and Megan still have their hands in the bucket.)

MEGAN: And they think it's weird that the can do all this stuff, but don't tell anybody because people would freak out like you did. (Alex's face indicates that he is in pain.) What's wrong with you?

ALEX: Son of a... (Alex pulls his hand out of the bucket.) Ow! Ah! Take your handout of there before it falls off!

(Alex pulls Megan's hand out of the bucket.)

MEGAN: You need to relax.

ALEX: You didn't feel anything? Nothing?

MEGAN: No. Nobody ever believes me. Like yesterday in school this kid said I was full of it. I had to let him punch me in the stomach twenty five times before he believed me. And once with a baseball bat.

ALEX: What?

INT. TAYLOR TRUSSEL'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Cristina is prepping Taylor for surgery.)

CRISTINA: We'll have cardiology check this and then you'll be good to go.

TAYLOR: Done! (Leanne hands the baby to Taylor.) There's my guy! Jake, we're almost done with this whole thing.

LEANNE: We're not almost done. You still have brain surgery, God knows how many weeks of recovery ahead of you.

CRISTINA: She's right. It's good to know what you're getting yourself into.

LEANNE: Thank you. I appreciate that.

CRISTINA: A recovery's hell on a spouse. It's gonna be harder for you than on him.

LEANNE: My mom's staying with us for a week. Maybe she should stay longer.

CRISTINA: You know it's... it's brutal being the caretaker. You'll be fetching the paper and then cleaning the carpet.

TAYLOR: Honey...

CRISTINA: And he wants ice in a cup, not a mug. It never stops. It's the caretakers that are the silent victims. You know, and when do you ever hear about them?

TAYLOR: Honey take the baby...

CRISTINA: Never. I never hear anything about them. Then it's always, you know, the patient this, the patient that. Silent victims.

TAYLOR: Honey take the baby!

(Taylor starts having a seizure. Cristina rushes and catches the baby. Taylor falls to the floor.)

LEANNE: Taylor!

CRISTINA (shouting): Someone help here please!

INT. TAYLOR TRUSSEL'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Derek is examining Taylor.)

CRISTINA: His seizure lasted for about a minute and he was out for five.

TAYLOR: Is the baby OK?

CRISTINA: He's fine.

DEREK: It shouldn't interfere with his surgery. Assuming we're still going forward.

TAYLOR: Honey?

LEANNE: Yeah. I guess we don't have any other choice.

DEREK: Alright Leanne, I'm gonna do everything I can, OK? It's not gonna be a walk in the park, but I'll take care of him.

LEANNE: OK.

(Izzie is still standing outside the hospital entrance. Meredith walks over to her.)

MEREDITH: Hey Izzie. You done with the Chief?

IZZIE: Not yet.

MEREDITH: Are you OK?

IZZIE: I'm fine. What are you guys doing?

CRISTINA: Uh, she's dating everyone with a pulse and, uh, I'm trying to get Burke out of the belljar.

MEREDITH: Crap, I'm late for Finn. Gotta go. You sure you're OK?

IZZIE: Yeah.

(Meredith walks back into the hospital.)

CRISTINA: She's playing the field, and I've got a wife! What did the justice.

(An uncomfortable silence ensues.)

CRISTINA: Uh... OK.

(Cristina walks away.)

INT. JOE'S BAR

(Addison and Mark are sat at a table in the bar.)

ADDISON: Here's the thing. We've both really enjoyed each other. Before and... now again. And I think that's a healthy release. I mean I think it's... healthy. (Mark strokes Addison's hair.) For everybody involved. And, um... But I do think that just because I made what can only be considered a transcontinental booty call doesn't mean that we should be trying to make something out of this. Stop doing that! (Addison slaps Mark's hand away.)

MARK: Why?

ADDISON: Because I can't think.

MARK: We're good together.

ADDISON: We aren't. You have to go home.

MARK: Come back with me.

ADDISON: You're insane. I'm not going back... I'm not going back to New York.

MARK: �Cause it was just about sex?

(They almost kiss. Addison slaps Mark.)

ADDISON: Oh! Ah!

(Mark smiles. Addison gets up.)

ADDISON: Ok, uh, well. Goodbye.

MARK: Goodbye.

(Addison leaves the bar.)

INT. NURSES STATION - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Richard walks over to Bailey.)

RICHARD: Stevens was supposed to be in my office at nine thirty. Didn't show. Did you two change your minds?

BAILEY: No, she said she was coming in. I'm sure she'll track you down.

(Richard leaves the nurses station. Alex walks over to Bailey.)

ALEX: We need to run a CT on this kid's abdomen. This superhero stuff's way out of hand.

BAILEY: It's alright if she thinks she's a superhero. I believed in Santa Claus �til I was eleven.

ALEX: Really? Did Santa ever hit you in the gut with a baseball bat?

INT. GROUND FLOOR - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(George is walking down the stairs to the ground floor. Callie calls out to him.)

CALLIE: Hey! The labs good?

GEORGE: Yeah, they're all clear. (Callie breathes a sigh of relief.) So why does a guy have four ortho surgeries in one year?

CALLIE: Because he's a serious athlete. His body takes a b*ating.

GEORGE: Maybe his body can't handle it.

CALLIE: Do you know how many triathlons the guy's done?

GEORGE: Right. He's fifty five. Do you think an ankle replacement and twenty six miles a day is still a good idea?

CALLIE: Um, what? You think we should fit him for a walker?

GEROGE: He's ? the crap out of his joints and he's asking you to clear it up.

CALLIE: Do you know how many hips I replace because people can't be bothered to walk around the block once a month? Sometimes we can make dreams come true, it's not all that often. When we can we should. Don't you think?

GEORGE: Yeah, yeah but...

CALLIE: George, don't worry about it. Hey I was gonna go home for lunch. You wanna come.

INT. CAFETERIA - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(George sits at a table with Alex and Cristina.)

GEORGE: Callie just called my house home. Where does she get that?

CRISTINA: Shh.

GEORGE: It is not her home. (George notices a pile of notes in the middle of the table.) What are you doing?

ALEX: Meredith and Finn.

(The camera pans around and we see Meredith and Finns sitting at a table on the other side of the cafeteria. Meredith laughs loudly.)

CRISTINA: Fifty down on whether Shepherd shows up to challenge Finn to a duel.

(George pulls some notes from his pocket.)

GEORGE: Oh, can I be in the... with five?

ALEX: That's not a bet that's milk money, dude.

(Meredith laughs again.)

CRISTINA: Oh and she's laughing! Because he made a joke, which probably wasn't funny. Hahaha! Oh you funny vet!

GEORGE: I left the rest of my cash at home. Which I can call it because I live there, I'm not a visitor.

ALEX: Hey, you're a loser. You like comic books, right?

GEORGE: No.

(George mouths "Yes".)

ALEX: I got this kid, this patient. She thinks she's a superhero. What's up with that?

GEORGE: Superhero? Superheroes look like anyone, like you or me. Maybe they're not someone that people necessarily notice as extraordinary. Maybe in their daily life they get walked on. But then... there's a moment, they get hit by a cosmic ray or bitten by a radioactive spider and then suddenly, something that has been inside them all this time, lying dormant, comes raging out...

ALEX: Dude, forget I asked.

CRISTINA: Oh here we go, here we go. OK.

(Derek walks past Meredith and Finn's table and over to the stall to get a coffee.)

CHIRSTINA: Come on, come one, come on.

(Derek walks back past the table. Alex smiles and reaches for the money.)

ALEX: Takes it like a man, and walks away.

(Derek turns and walks back towards Meredith and Finn's table.)

GEORGE: He's coming back.

CRISTINA: Oh yes he is! Mhmm, give me my money!

(Meredith sees Derek approaching.)

MEREDITH: Oh God. I'm so sorry about this.

FINN: What?

(Derek reaches their table.)

DEREK: Hi. You having lunch?

MEREDITH: In fact we are.

DEREK: Oh, it looks good. You know I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'm doing a corpus callosotomy.I thought you might like to scrub in.

MEREDITH: Are you serious? When?

FINN: I'm gonna guess now.

DEREK: Look if you're busy don't bother, but it's nothing something that happens every day.

MEREDITH (to Finn): He's cutting a man's brain in half. I'm sorry. I'm an intern and... I have a lot to learn.

FINN: Apparently so do I. It's OK.

(Meredith stands up.)

MEREDIH: I'll call you tonight.

DEREK: Oh you're busy tonight. She has a date.

MEREDITH: I'm sorry Finn.

FINN: It's OK. Go.

DEREK: Take care.

(Derek and Meredith walk away. Cristina and Alex start laughing.)

ALEX: I think I owe you another.

CRISTINA: Yeah I think you do!

(Izzie is still standing in front of the hospital entrance. Burke, arm in a sling, walks over to her from the parking lot.)

BURKE: Coming or going?

IZZIE: I don't know.

BURKE: Me neither.

(Derek and Meredith are walking down a hallway.)

MEREDITH: That was brilliant, really.

DEREK: I thought so, yes.

MEREDITH: Well it wasn't because now I owe Finn another date.

DEREK: That's OK, he needs all the help he can get. This isn't gonna be easy for him.

MEREDITH: Oh, you think he can't take the heat?

DEREK: I think he's out of his league. But you gotta hand it to the guy for trying.

(They arrive at Taylor Tressel's room.)

DEREK: This is Mr Tressel. Prep him.

MEREDITH: I thought you said we were operating.

DEREK: We operate at four. I'm not just gonna slide you into the OR. You gotta work a little too, right?

(Cristina walks past Richard's office and sees him talking to Burke. She smiles, and keeps walking.)
INT. CT SCAN ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Alex is getting Megan ready for a CT scan.)

MEGAN: How much is this gonna cost my parents?

ALEX: That's not something you need to be worrying about.

(Alex lifts Megan onto the scanner.)

MEGAN: But this is so stupid. I'm fine. (To a nurse) Hey! Punch me in the stomach, right here.

ALEX: Stop telling people to punch you in the stomach. You need to lie down and not move. Whichof your superfriends can do that?

(Bailey is behind the computer monitors on the other side of the room. Addison enters the room and walks over to her.)

ADDISON: Hey Miranda. You needed a consult?

BAILEY: Yeah. Just waiting for a picture. (Pause.) Haven't seen you since you were sucking down Martini's at Joe's.

ADDISON: Uh, yeah, that was just... I'm over him now.

BAILEY: Good.

ADDISON: We talked about...

BAILEY: A lot of things.

ADDISON: I remember...

BAILEY: None of them.

ADDISON: Is that for the best?

BAILEY: I think so.

(Alex walks over to Bailey and Addison.)

BAILEY: She came in for sutures, but she's a walking accident and has got an off the charts pain threshold. I'm thinking...

ADDISON: Chronic insensitivity to pain, yeah. I've seen it in babies. It's often diagnosed young. But if she's been bounced around in the foster care system...

(An image appears on the computer monitors.)

ALEX: Doctor Bailey, what the hell is that?

(Burke leaves Richard's office and walks down the hallway. George is walking in the other direction.)

GEORGE: Doctor Burke!

BURKE: Oh O'Malley, how are you?

GEORGE: Good, how's your arm?

BURKE: Good, good. Slow, you know...

GEORGE: Yeah. Well, uh, we all miss you round here. You're missed.

(They both turn walk away. Burke calls back to George.)

BURKE: Oh, O'Malley. (George turns around.) Stevens is standing outside the hospital.

(Burke walks away.)

INT. OPERATING ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Derek is operating on Taylor Tressel.)

DEREK: I am retracting the right hemisphere. What do we want to avoid? Grey?

MEREDITH: We want to avoid retractors on the sagital sinus.

DEERK: That's right. Why?

CRISTINA: To prevent sinus thrombosis.

DEREK: Excellent. I saw Doctor Burke today. He looked good.

CRISTINA: Yeah, he's great. He was, uh, meeting with the Chief.

DEREK: Working out the leave?

CRISTINA: The what?

DEREK: His leave of absence.

CRISTINA (a whisper): His what?

(George walks over to Izzie.)

GEORGE: You've been standing out here for a while.

(Izzie points a couple of metres to her left.)

IZZIE: For a while I stoop over there.

GEORGE: Maybe you should sit down.

IZZIE: I don't wanna sit down.

GEORGE (firmly): Maybe you should sit down anyway.

IZZIE: Go inside George.

GEORGE: Izzie, seriously...

IZZIE: I hate the bride thing. I hate the pictures in the magazines of the girl with the veil and the flowers that she's sniffing. Like it never occurred to her to stick her nose in there until there was a camera pointed at her. I hate the idea of bridesmaids, and the colors, and does the bustle make my ass look bigger or smaller? I hate the whole thing. And I never wanted to be that girl. That girl is stupid. And shallow. Why the hell are that girl's thoughts running through my head?

GEORGE: Izzie...

(George pulls on Izzie's arm. She pushes him away.)

IZZIE: I'm going to do it George. I'm going to walk through those doors. I just need to make sure that when I'm standing in front of the chief of surgery I am not thinking about my wedding dress. And that's gonna take another minute.

INT. JASPER HOVIE'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(George is standing by Jasper's bed, reading him a consent form.)

GEORGE: Now with surgeries of this kind there's always risk of infection if the bone is...

JASPER: Bla bla bla. I could die on the table. Where do I sign?

GEORGE: I think we should talk through the rest of this consent form first.

JASPER: Fourth surgery in a year. I know the routine. When I come back in for my hip, you can give me the speech in French.

GEORGE: You're having hip surgery?

JASPER: In the fall. After Patagonia.

GEORGE: Do you still want to meet your guy?

INT. PATIENT ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Bailey and Addison are talking to Megan's parents.)

BAILEY: Megan's bleeding internally.

MR CLOVER: What?

BAILEY: It appears there's some severe trauma to her abdomen.

MR CLOVER: You're trying to ask us if we hit her. We've said ten times in ten different ways...

BAILEY: Social services cleared you and I'm sorry that we suggested you were mistreating her. But she's hurt pretty badly so we're gonna need to operate.

MRS CLOVER: Oh my God...

ADDISON: Megan may have a chromosomal condition that causes her to not feel any pain when she's injured. It would explain why she gets hurt so often.

BAILEY: We need to do some genetic testing before we can be sure, but let's assume she'll need to be monitored very closely from now on.

(Alex enters the room.)

ALEX: We got OR Three.

MRS CLOVER: So surgery is the only option?

BAILEY: I think it is. I know you've been put through the wringer already today, but I need to ask you to trust me on this one.

ALEX: Where is she? Where's Megan?

(They all look over to the wheelchair where Megan was sitting. It's empty.)

INT. PATIENT ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Cristina steps out of the elevator and walks into Burke.)

CRISTINA: Hey. A leave of absence?

BURKE: Yeah, I'm on my way home. Just making some notes for the chief so he can reassign my open cases.

CRISTINA: Because you're taking a leave of absence? OK that's like, what, a week?

BURKE: It takes as long as it takes.

CRISTINA: Well it's not gonna take that long. You're already three weeks into PT already, so...

BURKE: Oh come on. Recovery from brachioplastic surgery is measured in months Cristina, years. Not weeks. The surgery's considered a success when the patients flex the elbow. Some patients never move their shoulder again. Some don't recover sensation, they don't recover dexterity, they simply don't recover.

CRISTINA: Yes, but you're not one of those.

BURKE: Really? Says who?

(Burke walks away.)

INT. MORGUE - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(A body is lying on a gurney in the middle of the room. George and Jasper enter.)

JASPER: That's my guy?

GEORGE: No that's not him. That's someone else we lost last night. Came in for a lipo. d*ed on the table... complications.

JASPER: Didn't know they did liposuction on men.

GEORGE: People do a lot of stuff they don't need. And, you know, the older you get... (George brings out another body.) Here he is. (He pulls back the sheet covering the dead man's head. He is an old man, with grey hair.) That's your guy.

JASPER: Well that can't be my guy. He's really old. Bones are probably brittle. What are they doing using a guy that old as my donor?

GEORGE: He's two years younger than you are.

(Callie is looking at the whiteboard.)

CALLIE: What the hell happened to my ankle allograph? I had OR Two at three. Anybody wanna tell me where it went?

NURSE: It was cancelled. The goy went home.

CALLIE: Why the hell would he do that? (George walks into the hallway. Angrily) Hey!

(Bailey runs into the hallway.)

BAILEY: O'Malley! We've lost supergirl and she's bleeding into her abdomen. Start looking in corners!

(Derek and Meredith are leaving an OR.)

MEREDITH: Do you think you cut enough of the fibres out or are you going to have to go back in?

DEREK: We'll see if the seizures are under control. If not we'll go back in for the last few.

MEREDITH: Well do I get to scrub in on that too, or only if I'm in the middle of a date with somebody else?

DEREK: I wouldn't consider a meal in the cafeteria a date.

MEREDITH: Don't denigrate the competition.

(Addison sees Derek and Meredith talking from a distance. She walks away.)

DEREK: I have nothing but respect for Finn, who has the courage to woo a woman with a tuna salad. Keep an eye on Taylor. If there's a problem page me. I'll see you in the lobby at eight.

(Alex shouts over to Meredith.)

ALEX: Hey Grey! I lost a kid. Help me look for her before she bleeds out in one of our bathrooms.

MEGAN: What's her name?

(Alex and George are searching for Megan.)

ALEX: Megan!

GEORGE: It's not easy. If you think you're a superhero, you're not gonna let someone come at you with a Kn*fe. There's no way to tell what it can do to your powers. I mean, you take away Green Lantern's ring, Hal Jordan is still a hero but it creates a crisis of confidence when...

ALEX: Come on Megan!

GEORGE: ...you've worked hard to hone your strengths. Look at, uh, Batman. Robin just marches into the Batcave and he says, you know, "Here I am. I'm gonna live here too. Give me some tights and I'm taking your towel." I mean Batman, he fought for his powers, you know? He honed his strength...

ALEX: Dude, you don't stop this I'm gonna punch you in the face.

(Callie marches over to George and Alex, obviously angry.)

CALLIE (angrily): O'Malley!

ALEX: Good luck with that...

(Alex walks away.)

CALLIE: I arranged for you to see an incredibly cool surgery and you talk my patient out of it?

GEORGE: No, I didn't.

CALLIE: You asked me what I thought. You didn't like what I said so you went behind my back! Jasper's gone. He cancelled the surgery!

GEORGE: I expressed an opinion. I suggested that, you know, not everything has to go at warp speed. It is all warp speed with you! It is all... You know, you ankle hurts, lets cut it off!

CALLIE: You intimidated my patient. You got a problem, you bring it to me.

GEORGE: I'm not ready for us to move in together!

CALLIE (dry): And if you weren't a toddler, if you could use your words, then maybe you could have said that the first four times I asked you. And then I would have said "Oh that's funny, me neither. I'm looking for a place. I'll be out in a week."

GEORGE: Really? Because remember you...

CALLIE: George, save it. I'll be out in an hour.

(Callie walks away.)

(Meredith is looking for Megan.)

MEREDITH: Megan! Megan?

(She opens the door to a supply closet. Inside, Addison is sitting on the floor, crying.)

MEREDITH: Oh, hi.

ADDISON: Weren't you just up on three?

MEREDITH: I was. We lost a patient, a little girl, and I was just...

ADDISON (exasperated, in tears): Look why don't you just pick a floor and stay on it, and I'll pick a floor and stay on that, because I really need a moment or two without you. Your face shows up in my head, your panties show up in my husband's pocket. Really you're everywhere, and I need a moment or two without you.

MEREDITH: I get that.

ADDISON: Thanks.

(Meredith walks out and closes the door behind her.)

(Alex is still searching for Megan.)

ALEX: Megan? Come on, enough already.

(Alex spots something moving under a gurney. He looks under it and sees Megan.)

ALEX: We've got half the hospital looking for you. Your powers of invisibility are well intact. Get up!

(Alex lifts Megan to her feet.)

MEGAN: You're a hosebag, you know that?

ALEX: And you have a potty mouth.

MEGAN: Nobody's cutting me open.

ALEX: Hey! It's surgery, we do it al the time. In fact, it's all we do.

MEGAN: You can't keep telling my foster parents I'm defective. They can't afford surgery, it's too expensive.

(Alex lifts Megan into a wheelchair.)

ALEX: They can handle it.

MEGAN: They'll send me back.

ALEX: Dude, that's stupid. They've got their own personal superhero. Nobody sends back a superhero.

MEGAN: I thought you said I didn't have superpowers.

ALEX: Yeah well you don't, but take away Green Lantern's ring, the guy's still a hero. Right?

INT. TAYLOR TRESSEL'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Taylor is recovering from surgery. Derek is checking everything's OK.)

DEREK: OK, close your eyes. Squeeze them tight. Good, OK, can you squeeze my fingers? (Taylor squeezes Derek's fingers.) Fantastic. Let's wiggle you toes for me please. Very good! Very good. (to Leanne) Flying colors.

LEANNE: He's always tested well.

TAYLOR: I kicked ass on the... what's it called?

LEANNE: The SATs.

DEREK: Now can you tell me, what is this?

(Derek shows Taylor a pink plastic mug. Pause.)

LEANNE: Honey?

DERKE: Take your time.

LEANNE: Honey what's that called? It's right in front of you.

(Pause.)

CRISTINA (pointing to the mug): Can you see this here?

TAYLOR: I can see it, I just can't think of the...

DEREK: That's alright, it's OK. Take your time. See sometimes the names of things are tough. So try again.

(Leanne stands up.)

LEANNE: What's my name?

TAYLOR: I can't...

LEANNE (showing Taylor the baby): What's his name?

TAYLOR: I... I know what it is, I... I just...

LEANNE (frantic): What's his name?

DEREK: Leanne, let's just give him a moment.

(Pause.)

LEANNE: What's his name?

TAYLOR: I...

INT. OUTSIDE OF TAYLOR TRESSEL'S ROOM - SEATTLE GRACE HOSPITAL

(Derek, Cristina and Leanne are standing outside of Taylor's room.)

LEANNE: He named the baby. He named him after his father. How do you not know the name of your own baby?

DEREK: He knows who the baby is. See the right side of the brain senses the emotional connection to the baby, it just can't communicate to the left brain, where the words are formed. The pathway to the two sides has been compromised. He needs to make new pathways.

LEANNE: How long is that gonna take?

DEREK: Well he'll get there. Recovery's hard work. It's a learning process, you need to be patient. (sh*t of Cristina, deep in thought.) You need to help him. He can't do this without your support.

(Bailey is operating on Megan. Alex is assisting her.)

ALEX: Man, she wasn't kidding about the baseball bat.

BAILEY: We need more lat pads. Just keep'em coming.

ALEX: Are your going to reset the liver?

BAILEY: We need to try and do a debrievement. Look at this. Everybody wants a life without pain. What does it get you? She needs to be on a poster somewhere. To remind people pain's there for a reason.

(Cut to: Megan is lying in her room, recovering from surgery, her parents standing over her. Alex watches through the window.)

(Alex walks up to Bailey.)

ALEX: Megan's stable. I ordered a Repute H and H in two hours.

(Bailey is looking out of the window to the hospital entrance.)

BAILEY: She been out there all day?

(We see Izzie standing in front of the hospital entrance. Bailey and Alex look at each other.)

EXT. MEREDITH'S HOUSE

(Meredith and Derek walk up to the front door of the house.)

MEREDITH: Dinner was good.

DEREK: Dinner was excellent.

MEREDITH: Are you coming in?

DEREK: I don't know. Am I?

MEREDITH: Well you could come in for a drink, or a... coffee. I owe you one from this morning.

DEREK: Yeah you do.

(Finn appears in the front garden.)

FINN: Hi!

DEREK: Finn...

FINN: I didn't think you guys would be here. I just wanted to drop this off: strawberry ice cream. A patient made it for me.

DEREK: A patient's owner.

FINN: It's made from scratch. Real strawberries.

MEREDITH: I love strawberry ice cream.

DEREK: And he remembered...

FINN: I did! I just thought I'd leave it by the door.

DEREK: You didn't think it would melt?

FINN: Well, you take your chances.

DEREK: Worked out for you.

FINN: Mhmm.

MEREDITH: What exactly is going on here?

DEREK: He's crashing our date.

FINN: Where do you think I got that idea?

DEREK: I didn't crash your date, it was professional.

FINN: You can't operate without her?

DEREK: I certainly operate well with her.

MEREDITH: Enough! This is not dating. I want moonlight, and flowers, and candy, and people trying to feel me up. Nobody is trying to feel me up. Nobody is even looking at me! I'm an intern. Do the two of you have any idea how much effort it takes to do all this? (She motions to her body.) I'm waxed, and plucked, and I have a clean top on. (Shouting) And the two of you are looking at each other.

DEREK: Meredith, it's...

MEREDITH: No! My fantasy is not two men looking at each other.

FINN: We didn't...

MEREDITH: No talking until on of you figures out how to put on a date! I want heat, I want romance, damn it I wanna feel like a freakin' lady!

(Meredith walks into the house and slams the door behind her. Pause. She opens the door, takes the ice cream from Finn and slams the door again.)

MEREDITH (V.O.): The fantasy is simple. Pleasure is good.

INT. HOTEL

(Addison walks into a hotel lobby.)

ADDISON: Hi, I'm in room twenty two something... 2214. If anyone calls, I'm not here.

PORTER: Yes ma'am.

(Addison walks away. Callie walks into the hotel lobby.)

MEREDITH (V.O.): And twice as much pleasure is better.

CALLIE: Hi. Checking in please.

PORTER: Certainly. Room for...

CALLIE: One.

MEREDITH (V.O.): That pain is bad.

(Richard walks into the hotel lobby.)

RICHARD: Room 1817. Any messages?

MEREDITH (V.O.): And no pain is better.

(Mark walks into the hotel lobby.)

MARK: Checking in please. Room for one. (Smirking) Somewhere on the twenty second floor if you've got it.

PORTER: I'll take a look.

(Richard spots Mark.)

RICHARD: Doctor Sloane?

MARK: Doctor Webber!

RICHARD: What are you doing in Seattle?

MARK: I don't know. I have a thing for ferry boats.

MEREDITH (V.O.): But the reality is different.

INT. BURKE'S APARTMENT

(Cristina opens the door to the apartment. Burke is sat at the table, reading a book. She pulls several frozen chickens out of her shopping bag.)

BURKE: You cooking for me?

CRISTINA: I am not. You can take a leave of absence if you want to, but you're not going to sit on your ass all day. You're gonna work hard, you're gonna get every bit of your strength and dexterity back.

BURKE: Really? How?

(Cristina grabs a butcher's Kn*fe and slices one of the chickens in two. She then throws Burke a bag containing a scalpel and other surgical instruments.)

CRISTINA: Put it back together.

MEREDITH (V.O.): The reality is that pain is there to tell us something.

(Izzie is still standing in front of the hospital entrance. Alex walks over to her and puts a coat around her shoulders.)

ALEX: Iz...

IZZIE: I'll do it.

ALEX: Izzie...

IZZIE: I can do it, Alex. I know I can.

ALEX: Does it hurt?

IZZIE: Yeah.

ALEX: Where does it hurt?

IZZIE: Everywhere.

ALEX: Maybe it hurts for a reason. Come on, let's go.

(Alex leads Izzie back to the parking lot.)

EXT. MEREDITH'S HOUSE - MEREDITH'S ROOM

(Meredith is sitting on her bed, eating her ice cream.)

MEREDITH (V.O.): And there's only so much pleasure we can take without getting a stomach ache. And maybe that's OK.

(Izzie appears at the door.)

MEREDITH: Hey!

IZZIE: I didn't go in today.

MEREDITH: Maybe tomorrow.

(Izzie sits down next to Meredith. George appears at the door.)

MEREDITH: Hey George.

GEORGE: Callie moved out, which is a relief. (Unconvincingly) Oh, I'm so relieved.

(Izzie motions for George to eat ice cream with them.)

IZZIE: It's strawberry.

(George sits down on the bed and eats some ice cream.)

GEORGE: It's good.

(He hands the tub and spoon back to Izzie.)

IZZIE: You left spit on the spoon.

GEORGE: No I didn't.

IZZIE: You did a little.

(George puts the spoon back into his mouth and pulls a face. They all laugh.)

MEREDITH (V.O.): Maybe some fantasies are only supposed to live in our dreams.