03x11 - Six Days Pt. 1

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

03x11 - Six Days Pt. 1

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

3x11: Six Days (Part 1)

Original Airdate: 1/11/2007

Written by: Krista Vernoff

Directed by: Greg Yaitanes

(Meredith and Derek are in bed. Derek is just staring at a sleeping Meredith, who is snoring. She wakes up.)

Derek: Morning.

Meredith: Were you watching me sleep?

Derek: Maybe.

Meredith: What are you, some kind of weirdo who watches women sleep?

Derek: Maybe.

(George goes to get the mayo from the fridge and Izzie's check drops to the floor)

George: Izzie?

Izzie: What?

George: I just dropped $8.7 million dollars on the floor.

Izzie: And?

George: I shouldn't be able to drop $8.7 million dollars on the floor! You need to deposit that check!

Izzie: George...your father's surgery is tomorrow. Any chance you're misplacing your anxiety on me and my check?

George: No, there is chance. That check ruins my morning every morning. It belongs in the bank. Would you just please...as a favor to me...just put it in the bank? Please?

Izzie: Hmm. No. But if you're nice to me for the next 7 minutes I will give you a ride to work.

George: You don't deserve $8.7 million dollars.

Izzie: Oh, so true. So true.

(Seattle scenes)

(Bailey and her interns are walking through the hall)

Meredith: So, how's Burke doing?

Christina: I don't know.

George: She doesn't know.

Alex: He just had surgery yesterday and you don't know how he's doing?

Meredith: They're not speaking.

Izzie: I thought they made up.

Meredith: They did, sort of.

Izzie: But she's still not speaking to him?

Christina: He's not speaking to me.

Meredith: They're not speaking to each other.

Izzie:OK.

Christina: Did you ask Derek about Burke's hand?

Meredith: I don't want to get in the middle of it. Derek and I are happy. Can we just keep it that way for a while?

Izzie: You know, you could always just swallow your pride and ask him yourself.

Alex: Her gut's not big enough for that.

(They walk into Mr. O'Malley's room where a party is going on with the O'Malley extended family)

All: O'Malley!

Harold: Quiet down.

Louise: Morning everybody.

Richard: Good morning. Who's presenting?

All: Yeah George!

George: Harold O'Malley 63. Status-post aortic valve replacement. Morning chest x-rays showed no atalectasis after aggressive CPT for the last two days. Scheduled for a transhiatal esophagectomy tomorrow at 9. (Everyone looks at him) That's it.

(And the crowd cheers)

Bailey: For the next few minutes I think it would be best if the extended family wait in the waiting room.

Harold: Just a few minutes guys and then you can come back.

Bailey: How are you feeling Mr. O'Malley?

Louise: He's feeling great. "Better than ever" he says. Which is why we had everyone come out today. We figured that after today he maybe won't be feelingOK for a while.

Harold: After the surgery, then do we start chemo and stuff?

Richard: That protocol depends on what we find when we open you up Harold.

Harold: What do you mean, what you find?

Bailey: Um Grey.

Meredith: There's only so much they can tell from labs and scans, so they really need to get a look inside to see if the cancer has spread.

Louise: And if the cancer has spread, that changes how much chemo he needs?

Chief: That changes a lot of things.

Harold: Like what?

Richard: I'll let the oncologist explain that later today Harold. Dr. Grey will be taking you through a final battery of pre-operative tests before we go.

Bailey: So it would be best if the party went home.

(Outside Burke's room)

Cristina: Dr. Shepherd? So...Dr. Burke's hand...has he had any tremors?

Derek: That's confidential.

Cristina: I'm one of his doctors.

Derek: You're also his girlfriend. Ask him yourself. (He goes into Burke's room) Good morning everyone who's presenting?

Alex: Preston Burke. Post-op day one from an I and D of a compressive hematoma to the brachoplexus. He is afebrile and vital signs are stable over night. His incisions are clean with no signs of infection. Last morphine was given at 2 this morning.

Cristina: Ask about the hand.

Meredith: You ask.

Cristina: It's just one question...

Bailey: Dr. Yang, something you want to share with the rest of us?

Cristina: No ma'am. Sorry.

Derek: Look good, Preston. Take it easy on the nurses.

(All leave except George)

Burke: O'Malley? Your father's surgery today?

George: Tomorrow.

(A young girl walks out of her bathroom, she's bent over at the waist, her legs at a 90degree angle to her upper body.)

Mrs. Douglas: YouOK, honey?

Heather: Yeah, can you just help me?

Meredith: Scoliosis?

Cristina: Looks like a birth defect.

Alex: Looks like hell.

Heather: What are you all staring at? Really, if you expect me to be the brave and heartwarming differently abled girl, that isn't going to happen. So go ahead and do your thing.

Bailey: Stevens.

Izzie: Heather Douglas, 17. Past medical history of VADER syndrome.

Bailey: Which is?

Izzie: Vader syndrome is a genetic condition that affects the vertebra, anus, trachea, esophagus and renal system.

Heather: Wow, give this girl a medal. She memorized the whole acronym. Which I assure you is a hell of a lot easier than living with it.

Bailey: Stephens.

Izzie: Right. Heather is in today for a lithotripsy to remove kidney stones. And a thoractoplasty to alleviate the pressure in her lungs.

Callie: Can I ask...I know I'm just here to remove a few ribs but...have you ever tried anything more radical to treat the spinal curvature?

Heather: Let's see. If by more radical you mean having a steel rod inserted into my spine, then yeah. We've tried. The rod just bent.

Izzie: Removing the kidney stones may seem minor, but it will really improve your quality of life.

Heather: Really? So this surgery is going to get me laid?

Mrs. Douglas: Heather, stop it.

Heather: Mom, I'm sorry, but she's talking about improving my quality of life. And I don't think doctors should make promises they can't keep.

(NICU)

Meredith: Laura Grey-Thompson. Born four days ago with Jujenal Atresia. Corrected surgically. Post-op course

(Thatcher walks in)

Thatcher: Oh, I'm sorry. Am I interrupting? Her mom and grandma have the flu. They asked me to get an update.

Addison: Oh she's doing very well Mr. Grey. We'll be out of here in just a minute.

Bailey: Dr. Grey, you were saying?

Thatcher: Excuse me, I'll just come back later.

Bailey: Grey? (Meredith is just in her own world. Christina grabs the chart)

Christina: Um Laura Grey-Thompson had some dilation of the bowels on x-ray this morning. We need to do a barium enema.

(Seattle scenes)

(In the hallway, Bailey is handing out assignments)

Bailey: Dr. Grey, I'd like you to stick with Mr. O'Malley this week. Yang, pit. Karev, Sloan. Stephens, prep Heather Douglas for surgery. O'Malley, you take the rest of this week off?

George: Yes ma'am.

Bailey: Might as well take today off too. Spend some time with your family.

George: Thank you. Dr. Bailey, as things progress with my family...well sometimes with the families, we sugarcoat things. It would help if you were straight with me as things progress.

Bailey:OK.

George: Thank you.

Izzie: Dr. Bailey. Dr. Bailey. I know that I'm supposed to prep her only, but any chance that I could scrub in on Heather Douglas? I mean, a VADER patient isn't something you see very often.

Bailey: No.

Izzie: But I'm ready. I'm ready.

Bailey: Your psychiatrist has not given you an all clear.

Izzie: He's...I've done everything he's asked me to do. Everything...except deposit my inheritance check but...

Bailey: Wait...you have not deposited a nearly $9 million check?

Izzie: He is being unreasonable. That check has nothing to do with this...

Bailey: Unreasonable is that you're losing thousands of dollars of interest every day. That's unreasonable. You clearly are not reasonable yet. I think that's the point your psychiatrist is trying to make.

(Blood lab)

Meredith: Hey, I need a CBC and Chem 7 on Harold O'Malley.

Cristina: And I need these labs ASAP.

Lab guy: Everybody needs everything ASAP.

Cristina: Oh yes, and all throughout this hospital people are dying while you are here giving me crap about ASAP. Hey are youOKay?

Meredith: Why wouldn't I be?

Cristina: Your father...freezing up in rounds. God that was mortifying.

Meredith: Thank you. Thanks.

Cristina: Oh it wasn't mortifying?

Meredith: I just wish that the baby would get well and go home and Thatcher would go with her. Is that wrong?

Cristina: Wrong would be if you wished the baby wouldn't get well.

Meredith:OK. Good. Thanks.

Cristina: You know if you wanted to thank me, you could ask Derek if Burke has had any tremors.

Meredith: Talk to him.

Cristina: No, cause then he wins.

Meredith: Wins what?

Cristina: Forget it.

Meredith: Do you have a father?

Cristina: I have a stepfather. He's nice. I see him for Yom Kippur.

(Nurse's station)

Mark: Karev, how did I tell you I like my charts? I like to round on pre-op before post-op. Do you like wasting my time? Is it fun for you?

Alex: No sir.

Mark: Then get it right.

Addison: Do you like abusing inters? Is it fun for you?

Mark: Yes, it is. And in case you've forgotten, you don't get the high horse this week, Addison. Not this week.

(Mark walks away)

Alex: He's an ass.

Addison: Not this week.

(Bailey and Callie are walking through the hall)

Callie: You know Shepherd well right?

Bailey: Lots of hair, too many women. Likes elevators and long walks on the beach.

Callie: So what's the best way to get him to do something?

Bailey: What kind of something?

Callie: A consult that the patient hasn't requested but that the friendly neighborhood ortho thinks is worth pursuing.

Bailey: Shepherd thinks he's busier and more important than everyone else.

Callie: Standard neurosurgeon breed.

Bailey: Exactly.

Callie:OK, so...

Bailey: So he'll say no, until you stare him down.

Callie: Stare him down?

Bailey (with her classic evil glare) Stare him down.

(Callie laughs and then realizes she's serious. She walks away and Bailey giggles)

(Heather Douglas' room)

Heather: You're way too hot to be a doctor.

Izzie:OK.

Heather: I mean aren't people like you supposed to be dumb? I'm just saying, you're not going to be in my surgery are you? Cause, I'm a little too young to die.

Izzie: I will not be in on your surgery.

Heather: See? I knew it. You're not even a doctor.

Izzie: I am a doctor. It's just that when my fianc� dropped dead not too long ago I went a little nuts, so no surgeries for me for a while.

Heather: Well so much for my theory that life doesn't suck for pretty people. I'm sorry I was such a bitch to you.

Izzie: Well you're in pain. Sometimes I'm a bitch for no reason at all.

(Callie walks up to Derek)

Callie: Oh Dr. Shepherd?

Derek: Yes?

Callie: I'm so sorry to bother you, I know you're very, very busy. But there's a girl here. She's 17 with severe scoliosis from VADER sydrome. She's here for thoractoplasty cause her ribs are pressing against her lungs. She's already had two spinal fusions and a segmented spinal intramentation which didn't work. She's bent over at 90 degrees which clearly sucks.

Derek: "Clearly sucks" is that your professional assessment?

Callie: My professional assessment is that we can help her.

Derek: My day is impossible.

(He goes to pass her and she moves in his way. She's staring at him with these big goofy eyes and he looks scared)

Derek: I'll come by for a consult in the morning.

(Derek leaves)

Callie: I'm a good starer.

(Harold walks to the nurse's station where Richard and Bailey are)

Harold: Doctors, could I get a word?

Richard: How are you feeling Harold?

Harold: Great. I'm fine. It's just that the oncologist, he said that if the cancer was in other organs, he said that you won't proceed with the surgery.

Richard: That's right Harold. If the cancer's spread to your other organs it will compromise your ability to recover from surgery.

Harold: So if you cut me open and send me home I get what? A couple of weeks to live?

Richard: You would have weeks or months, yes.

Harold: No, you gotta take the tumor out. Cause, i can survive this. I know i can. O'Malley's we're fighters.

Bailey: Mr. O'Malley, it's just...not a good idea.

Harold: My wife...we've been married for 40 years. I make her crazy but...40 years. She needs me. My family needs me. I can't let you close me up and then tell them that there's nothing that can be done when I know I can fight it. So I'm asking for your word. I want you to take the tumor out.

Richard: Mr. O'Malley, my job is to do the best I can for you medically.

Harold: No, closing me up and sending me home to die isn't what's best for me. Not medically, or any other way. Please, take the tumor out.

Richard: All right.

Harold: All right? (Bailey nods) Thanks.

Bailey: This falls under confidentiality?

Richard: If you're asking if you can tell his son, the answer is no.

(Meredith sleeping and snoring as Derek watches on. She wakes up)

Meredith: You're watching me sleep again?

Derek: You're cute when you sleep, what can I say?

Meredith: Yeah, but don't you sleep? Why are you always up before the alarm?

Derek: I'm a light sleeper. It's no big deal.

Meredith: So something woke you up.

Derek: It's no big deal. It's just that...you snore a little.

Meredith: What? I do not!

Derek: Yes you do. And I love it. I find it charming that such a big noise can come from such a little person.

Meredith: Do you know what's not charming?

Derek: What?

Meredith: Your morning breath.

Derek: I'm sorry. What?

Meredith: I'm just saying, seeing as how you're always up before me, you might consider brushing your teeth.

Derek:OK, this is me brushing my teeth.

Meredith: Thank you.

(George and Izzie are in the kitchen)

Izzie: Surgery's today?

George: Yeah. I'mOK.

Izzie: Yeah, I have a really good feeling.

George: Yeah?

Izzie: I didn't even bake anything for you.

George: Thank you.

(Izzie sees her check and stops)

(Seattle scenes)

(Mark enters the hospital soaked)

Alex: Bone dry cappuccino.

Mark: At least something's dry around here. Does it ever stop raining in this hell hole?

Alex: Not really.

Mark: Great. Good to know. (He takes a sip of the coffee) What the hell is this Karev? Vanilla? Are you trying to poison me? Or are you just trying to make my day a little bit worse?

Addison: Mark...

Alex: Coffee cart must have screwed up.

Mark: You know if you can't handle coffee, you can't handle plastics. Maybe you ought to head back to the gynie squad where life was all pink and squishy.

Addison: Squishy and pink though it may be, I have an amazing surgery today Karev, if you want in.

Alex: Yeah.

(Olivia enters Burke's room)

Olivia: Good morning Dr. Burke.

Burke: Yes it is. Beautiful morning. I love watching the rain.

Olivia: Feeling good? Not too much pain?

Burke: Feeling great.

Olivia: And your hand...your right hand? Feelin' good today?

Burke: I'm sorry Olivia, it's just...you're going to have to tell Dr. Yang that I'm not ready to give her that information.

Olivia: Right.OK then. Sorry.

(She leaves and George enters)

Cristina: Ask him...

George: Uh huh (He closes the door) You know that Cristina's stalking your room?

Burke: I do. (George hands him a chart) Your father?

George: Yeah. The surgery my dad is having has 50% morbidity rate.

Burke: O'Malley, that statistic means that 50% of the people that undergo the surgery survive. If you're going to hang your hat on statistics, then you have to look at both sides.

(Heather Douglas' room)

Derek: Heather, I've looked through your case history, and I know you've been through a lot of painful and very unsuccessful surgeries. But if you're up for it, I think I can significantly help the spinal curvature.

Heather; By "help" what do you mean?

Derek: I mean I think I can get you standing up straight.

Heather: It's not nice to mock cr*pple kids.

Derek: You see this curved part here (He points to x-ray) I'd remove it.

Mrs. Douglas: You want to remove a portion of my daughter's spine?

Derek: Mmm-hmm. And I would replace it with a titanium mesh cage, which would fill in the space between the vertebra.

Callie: I've seen case studies, there have been quite a few successes.

Mrs. Douglas: What about the ones that aren't successful.

Callie: They result in paralysis or death.

Izzie: Dr. Shepherd is the best there is.

Mrs. Douglas: She's 17...

Heather: Mom, I know you still think death is the worst thing that can happen to a person. Death is not the worst thing. I'm in.

(Izzie enters the CT room where Bailey is)

Izzie: They're going to cut out a piece of her spine. Heather Douglas. Drs. Shepherd and Torres, they're going to straighten her spine.

Bailey: And?

Izzie: And it's a once in a lifetime surgery. Please she's my patient. I've gotten to know her. I would really like to scrub in.

Bailey: Did you deposit that check?

Izzie: It's my money, I should get to do what I want with it.

Bailey: You get a 5% return on a 6-month CD? In the time we been standing here you could have just made $400.

Izzie: Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: It is not reasonable Stevens.

(Harold's room)

George: Dad it's your discard.

Harold: I'm sorry for running over Bucky.

George: What?

Harold: Your dog? The yappy dog Bucky? When you were a kid, I ran over him and I told you he ran away. I'm sorry about that.

George: You ran over my dog on purpose?

Harold: Of course not. He was chasing after the truck as always. He got caught up under the tire. You were so sensitive. You were such a soft kid. I couldn't bear to tell you.

George: I wasn't soft.

Harold: I mean it good Georgie. You were kind, you loved animals, you were always looking to help people. I couldn't face you and tell you that I k*lled your dog. I told you a lie. And I'm saying I'm sorry.

George:OK.

Harold: You're a good kid Georgie. Always been such a good kid. I want to tell you...

George: Dad, stop acting like you're dying. You're not dyingOK?

Harold: I want to tell you that I think you're crazy if you let that Callie get away.

George: Dad, please.

Harold: No, she gets you. She gets you in a way that your family never has. And I'm sorry about that. You grew up feeling so different all the time. That's another thing I'm sorry about.

George: Dad, stop it. Stop apologizing. Stop saying goodbye. You can't...that's no way to go into surgery.

Harold: I'm going to die someday Georgie. We're all going to die. And lying here in this bed, it gives me time to think about all the things I haven't said is all.

George:OK. Well, discard.

Harold: Anything you want to say to me?

George: Dad!

Harold: I'm discarding.

George: Dog m*rder*r.

(They both laugh)

(Harold is being wheeled to surgery)

Louise: Tell me what I want to hear.

Harold: If I die you'll k*ll me.

Louise: He's a quick study.

(Thatcher walks up)

Thatcher: Meredith, hello.

Meredith: Hello.

Thatcher: How are you?

Meredith: Good. Busy with work. We have a patient.

Harold: Hello.

Thatcher: Hello.

Louise: Hi.

Thatcher: Hi.

George: Hi.

Thatcher: Hi. Alright then (He stammers a lot) It was nice seeing you.

Meredith:OK.

Louise: That your ex-boyfriend.

Meredith: That's my ex-father.

(Harold's OR)

Richard: See Grey? Good exposure to the esophageal hiatus.

Meredith: Yes sir.

Bailey: Now we will inspect and palpate the abdominal cavity.

Meredith: Those are the mets right?

Richard: Throughout the stomach, celiac lymph nodes, the liver.

Bailey: It's everywhere.

Meredith: So that's it? We're closing him back up?

Bailey: No. We will proceed.

Meredith: But I thought...

Richard: The patient asked us to proceed.

Meredith: What does that mean exactly?

Richard: This man asked for a chance to fight. That means that he's going to have to fight like hell.

Meredith: But he can recover? There's a chance?

Bailey: There's a chance. Dr. Grey, the request from the patient...

Meredith: Was private.

Bailey: Yes.

(Addison enters Burke's room)

Addison: Preston.

Burke: Oh, Addison.

Addison: How you feeling?

Burke: Better. Looking foreword to going home.

Addison: Well, I'm sure bet Dr. Yang is looking foreword to having you back there as well.

Burke: Maybe, I wouldn't know.

Addison: Why wouldn't you know? Is that over?

Burke: No it's not over. It's just silent.

Addison: Oh I heard something about this. One of the nurses was talking, I just thought it was gossip.

Burke: No, it's not.

Addison: So you're not talking to her. Why not?

Burke: Did you ever play "say uncle?"

Addison: Say Uncle?

Burke: Someone bends your arm behind your back harder and harder until you say "uncle."

Addison: Then what happens?

Burke: Then they have all the power.

Addison: I see. So you are not saying uncle.

Burke: Yes.

Addison: And neither is she.

Burke: It seems that way.

Addison: That's pathetic.

Burke: You may be right.

Addison: If am right. If you say something wrong then you apologize.

Burke: I didn't do anything wrong.

Addison: Did she?

Burke: She doesn't seem to think so.

Addison: That's pathetic.

(Seattle scenes)

(Callie enters the waiting room)

Callie: Hey.

George: Hey.

Callie: You're all alone. Where's your family?

George: Eating. They like to eat.

Callie: You're pacing.

George: Yeah. It's just, he's been in surgery for a while.

Callie: It's good. It means they're being thorough.

George: Or it means that there are complications.

Callie: Somebody would have told you if there were complications.

George: Right.

Callie: It'sOK to be scared.

George: I'm not scared.

Callie: I'm just saying if you are, you can talk to me.

George: I'm not scared.

Callie: You sure about that? (She stares him down)

George:OK, now I'm scared of you.

Callie: Damn it. I'm staring you down.

George: Staring me down?

Callie: Yeah it worked on Shepherd.

George: Seriously?

Callie: Wait, let me try again.

George: No sorry, I'm still scared

Callie: Nothin?

George: Hold on I'll be right back.

(He walks over to Bailey and Meredith who are in the doorway)

(Bailey and Meredith lead George and his family to Harold's recovery room)

George: You should prepare yourself because this is a much more extensive surgery than the heart valve. There's probably still a tube in his throat helping him breathe. And half of his stomach was cut out and part of his esophagus, so there'll be a big scar. Just be prepared.

Louise: Welcome back sweetheart.

Ronny: Dad looks like something out of the butcher's shop.

Jerry: That's a cool scar.

(George doesn't go in. Meredith finds him outside.)

Meredith: You need to breathe.

George: He's my dad.

Meredith: I know.

George: He's my dad.

Meredith: I know (She leans her head on his shoulder)

(Once again, Meredith is snoring. Only this time she wakes up to Derek is not there. She finds him in George's room)

Meredith: Oh you have got to be kidding me? Where's George?

Derek: He spent the night at the hospital.

Meredith: And you slept in his bed? All night?

Derek: No just after you fell asleep.

Meredith: So you're telling me that my snoring is so bad...how did you deal with it for all those nights before I found out about your wife?

(Izzie walks by)

Izzie: He usually sleeps on the couch, sets an alarm, gets back in bed before you wake up.

Derek: Yeah, I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Meredith: Oh I'm going to do more than hurt your feelings. (She smacks him with a pillow)

Derek: What are you doing? (He grabs her and pulls her to the bed) I'm gonna hurt your feelings cause (He breaths on her)

(Izzie goes to the kitchen and stares at her check, then grabs it off the fridge)

(Seattle scenes)

(Izzie is at the bank)

Man: Can I...help you?

Izzie: (sobbing) I...I inherited $8 million.

Man: I'm sorry?

Izzie: Almost 9 actually. (Tears are pouring from her eyes, she's almost hysterical) I'm sorry. (He hands her a tissue) Thank you.

Man: I'm sorry, did you say...

Izzie: Just take it. Just take it please.

Man: Is that...It's covered in food. Is this some kind of joke?

Izzie: It is kind of a joke. A really cruel joke.

Man: I'm sorry, you want to deposit it?

Izzie: If I wanted to deposit it, do you think I would look like this?

Man: I don't understand.

Izzie: I'm supposed to do something good. I'm supposed to do something good and I...can you just deposit the damn thing already!?

(George is in Burke's room)

Burke: I'm surprised they proceeded with the surgery.

George: Me too. I guess they think he has a strong enough constitution to fight the cancer.

Burke: Is he conscious?

George: No. He's still intubated. So they have him sedated.

Burke: Your main concern over the next few days will be multi-system organ failure. That is that the surgery was too intense for his weakened organs to support. You want to watch the kidneys. Cause if the kidneys fail that's a sign that everything else is starting to go

George: So, we're watching the kidneys.

Burke: You're watching the kidneys.

George: Thank you. Do you mind me asking, how's your hand?

Burke: I don't mind if you ask. I will mind if you tell Cristina.

George: You two have a strange relationship.

Burke: Yes we do. Yeah.

(NICU)

Thatcher: And when you go home, you're going to have your very own room. Yes you do. And your mom she got one of those stencils. And she made little butterflies and flowers.

(Alex catches Meredith watching Thatcher through the window)

Alex: You need something?

Meredith: No. I'm fine.

(Alex goes in the NICU)

Thatcher: Oh it gets quiet in here.

Alex: You the one that paged me?

Nurse: I started my shift 10 minutes ago. Noticed her abdomen looked a little distended

Thatcher: Her stomach's distended? I didn't notice that.

Alex: It's hard to see. Page Dr. Montgomery STAT.

Thatcher: Is everythingOK? Is that bad?

Alex: Let's just wait for Dr. Montgomery.

(Meredith walks up to Derek at the nurse's station)

Derek: What's the matter?

Meredith: My father's here.

Derek: Your father?

Meredith: The one I don't talk to and barely know. He's here.

Derek: Is he here to see you?

Meredith: No. He's here with his other family.

Derek: Oh sorry.

Meredith: Where do you sleep at the trailer?

Derek: What?

Meredith: When we sleep at the trailer. Where do you sleep?

Derek: You know the hammock outside? Sorry.

Meredith: I'm a girl with abandonment issues. You have to sleep with me from now on.

Derek:OK.

(Izzie walks up to Bailey in the hall)

Izzie: A note from my hack of a shrink. I get to scrub in.

Bailey: Not till I say so.

Izzie: I deposited the check.

(Mrs. Douglas is sitting in the hallway, yelling on her cell phone)

Mrs. Douglas: You cheap son of a bitch bastards are going straight to hell. Straight to hell!

Bailey: Mrs. Douglas?

Mrs. Douglas: Insurance bastards. They say the surgery's too experimental.

Bailey: They wont pay.

Mrs. Douglas: It's a $200,000 surgery, plus a hospital stay, plus rehab. Even if I get 3 jobs...son of a bitch bastards.

Bailey: Looks like there won't be a surgery to scrub in on. Sorry Stephens.

(Addison enters the NICU)

Addison: Talk to me.

Alex: Her abdomen was distended and she needed increased ventilatory support.

Thatcher: Sorry, I was talking to her, I didn't notice.

Alex: Look at her x-rays.

Addison: She's got massive free air trapped beneath her diaphragm. Mr. Grey we need to take Laura in for surgery.

Thatcher: What another surgery? Why?

Addison: Her x-rays indicate that there's a perforation in the bowel. We need to get in there right away.

Alex: Here's a form we need you to sign.

Thatcher: I don't...I ...her mother has the flu.

Alex: You're not authorized to sign?

Thatcher: I am but, I'd like to fill her mother in.

Addison: We don't have time for you to now know Mr. Grey. Your granddaughter doesn't have time.

Thatcher: All right.

(Laura's surgery)

Addison: Take out more of the bowel, I need better visualization.

Alex: It's so tiny I'm afraid I might crush it.

Addison: It's tougher than you think. Go ahead and give it a little squeeze.

Alex: Thanks.

Addison: Look at that. The NG tube is eroded right through the stomach wall. I may have to resect an entire portion of the stomach. (Monitors go off) She's hypotensive, push 30ccs. albumin.

Alex: Whew. Scary.

Addison: You're telling me. This is Meredith Grey's niece. If I lost her, people might think that I did it on purpose.

(Richard walks into the gallery where Meredith is)

Richard: How's it going?

Meredith:OK. They had a scare a minute ago but she stabilized.

Richard: Your father is pacing up and down the halls. He's worried. Maybe you can give him an update.

Meredith: Maybe you can give him an update.

Richard: He's not a big fan of mine.

Meredith: He's not a big fan of mine either.

Richard: I can't imagine that's true. Your mother was a force to be reckoned with. If she wanted things a certain way...I'm saying your father was a good man when I knew him. He may have a side in this that you don't know about.

Meredith: What, you think he tried to send me a card every year, and my mother has a whole drawer of unopened cards? Because it's not often that my life turns out that way.

Richard: I don't know. But you don't know either until you ask him.

(Harold's room)

Callie: Hey. How's he doing?

Jerry: Georgie's obsessed with our dad's pee.

Ronny: Yeah, this is weird even for Georgie.

Louise: Boys be nice.

George: His kidney function. I'm obsessed with his kidney function, not his pee. I'm not obsessed. I'm excited.

Jerry: You're not going to drink that are you Georgie?

George: 130ccs. 133ccs of shiny yellow urine!

Callie: 130ccs in how long?

George: 4 hours.

Callie: No way! That is fantastic! Yay! (They start dancing around and George leans in and kisses her ) Thank you. Thank you.

(Mark and Addison pass in the hallway)

Addison: Mark. I'm sorry you're hurting.

Mark: You're sorry I'm hurting or you're sorry?

(Addison enters the NICU)

Addison: Karev.

Alex: Oh hey. I was just checking on the baby's capillary refills.

Addison: No that's good, it's good. We all need a little human contact from time to time.

Alex: It sucks. It's like she hasn't had a chance to deserve this, you know.

Addison: Is that why you wanted to go into plastics? Cause people sign up for the pain they get.

Alex: Yeah. For the most part they do, yeah.

Addison: You're right. It does suck watching them struggle. And that part never stops sucking. But then you get to see a baby heal and they get to go home and you just imagine this whole life that they're going to live. Well there's noting better than that. And that part never changes. But if you want to go back to plastics...

Alex: Nah. The vanilla Latte? I did that on purpose.

Addison: Why?

Alex: Cause he was rude to you.

(They share a moment and lean in to kiss but stop when a nurse enters)

Alex: I'm sorry.

Addison: No I'm sorry. God, I'm really sorry.

Alex: No I'mOK I just...sorry.

Addison:OK yeah. Yeah.

(Heather's room)

Izzie; Oh hey, you need some help?

Heather: I can walk to the bathroom myself. I've been doing it my whole life and nothing's changing anytime soon so just get out of my way,OK?

(Meredith walks by the NICU and sees Thatch, and walks away

Thatcher: Meredith?

(Seattle scenes)

(George is pondering his father. Bailey is thinking about Mr. O'Malley. Cristina is thinking about Burke. Burke is thinking about Cristina. Alex is in an elevator thinking about Addison. Addison is in another elevator thinking about Alex. Mark is thinking about Addison. Richard walks up to Bailey, he too is worried about Mr. O'Malley. Cristina is laying on a couch in Burke's room. Callie is sitting on some stairs alone. Izzie sits down next to George and grabs his hand. Meredith is asleep, snoring and Derek is just laying next to her, awake.)