03x25 - Didn't We Almost Have it All?

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Grey's Anatomy". Aired: March 2005 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A drama centered on the personal and professional lives of five surgical interns and their supervisors.

03x25 - Didn't We Almost Have it All?

Post by bunniefuu »

GREY'S ANATOMY

3x25: Didn't We Almost Have It All?

Original Airdate: 5/17/2007

Written by: Tony Phelan & Joan Rater

Directed by: Rob Corn

(Meredith is standing in the hallway looking out the window at a beautiful sunrise)

Richard Voice Over (RVO): Being chief is about responsibility.

(Richard is sitting in his office at his desk)

RVO: Every single surgical patient in the hospital is your patient whether you're the one who cut them open or not.

(Richard is in the ER with Adele)

Richard: Come on, she's lost a lot of blood.

RVO: The scalpel stops with you.

Richard: Start 2 large bore IVs and bolus 2 liters LR.

RVO: You need to be able to look at a family...

(Joe and Walter have entered the ER with Burke, Addison and Rina)

Burke: Ready? One, two...

RVO: And tell them your team did everything they could to save someone's child...

Burke: Get me a stat EKG And a portable chest, Brooke.

Addison: She's 34 weeks pregnant with twins.

RVO: Their husband...

Addison: You guys, why don't you go have a seat in the waiting room?

Walter: We're not leaving her.

RVO: Their wife.

(Addison is walking out of the ER when she runs into Richard and Adele)

Addison: What happened?

Richard: I don't know. I found her unconscious.

RVO: You get caught up...taking care of other people's families.

Richard: She's lost blood, a...a lot of blood

RVO: And the responsibility it makes you...

Richard: I didn't even know she was in the hospital. What was she doing here?

RVO: You take care of other people's families...and you sacrifice your own.

(Seattle scenes)

(Cristina's bachlorette party at Meredith's house)

Cristina: I thought I was gonna hate this party game thing, but it's kinda great. Can we set her on fire after?

Meredith: No, we cannot.

Callie: Okay, these wedding vows are not all gonna fit on here.

Cristina: Okay, then write smaller.

Callie: Be still, please. "Vow" just became "cow."

Izzie: You don't need vows on your hand. When you get up there, just speak from the heart.

Cristina: Uh, Izzie, the heart is an organ. It pumps, it circulates blood, it gets clogged from time to time. It does not, however, speak. It doesn't have tiny little lips on it.

Izzie: Well, you're all "glass totally empty."

Cristina: I'm gonna like being married. It's the wedding part that's ridiculous.

(Everyone's pagers go off except Cristina's)

Izzie: Oh! Party's over.

Callie: Damn.

Cristina: Hey, mine didn't go off. Piece of crap.

Meredith: You can do this, right?

Cristina: Become a piece of chattel? Sure. Looking forward to it.

Meredith: I mean, no matter what, you're walking down that aisle today. I need you to go down that aisle.

Cristina: Is the toilet paper cutting off your circulation?

Meredith: You marrying Burke, it's a sign. It's a sign that people like you and me can do this...be healthy, be happy. You marrying burke restores my faith in me.

Cristina: Oh, I get it. My wedding's about you.

Meredith: Yes.

Cristina: Okay.

Meredith: You can do this, right?

Cristina: I can do this.

Meredith: Okay.

(Mark and Derek enter the hospital and run into Bailey at a nurse's station)

Bailey: Hey. They found the fourth climber. Vitals are stabilizing after fluids, but...

Mark: I thought he was dead.

Derek: He was according to his friends. Did the CT Show a bleed?

Bailey: Uh, we haven't done a CT yet

Derek: I don't understand. You said there's a head trauma.

Bailey: Yeah, there's been a little head trauma. Ice a* to the head.

Mark: What the hell happened up on that mountain?

Derek: That's a good question.

(Richard and Addison are in Adele's room)

Richard: You don't think it could be uterine cancer, do you? It runs in the family.

Addison: No, it's not...she was in earlier. She was in a fender bender.

Richard: My wife came into my hospital, and you neglected to tell me?

Addison: Doctor-patient confidentiality.

Richard: We're still married. She's unconscious. There are medical decisions to be made. Legally I have a right to know. I have a right...

Addison: She might...be having a miscarriage. She's pregnant.

(Burke is in Rina's room)

Burke: I need to know what time your chest pain started.

Rina: I don't know. Yesterday afternoon.

Burke: What time exactly? This is important.

Rina: Around 3:00. What's wrong with me?

Burke: I'm gonna explain everything to you. I promise. But right now we need to get you up to the surgical floor.

Rina: Surgery? But...what about my babies?

Burke: I think those babies are coming out today. But I...I haven't decided I...I haven't chosen the parents. I need time to decide.

Joe: You don't need to decide anything right now. Right now the most important thing is making sure that you are okay. All right?

(The interns enter the ER)

Cristina: Burke.

Burke: Ah, I've got a surgery, but it shouldn't be more than four hours, five tops.

Cristina: I can scrub in.

(Addison walks up)

Addison: How's Rina?

Burke: I need to get a CT Angio, but I'm pretty sure it's a tear in her aorta. Her heart is about to blow.

Addison: Most dissecting aortas burst within 48 hours.

Burke: Which means we have less than 12 hours to fix it before she's dead.

Addison: So you need me to get the babies out.

Burke: So I can save her life.

Cristina: You have an aortic dissection?

Burke: Hey, I promise I will make it to the chapel in time.

Cristina: I...

(Bailey walks up)

Bailey: Okay. Listen up. Uh, O'Malley, you're with Shepherd and Sloan. Stevens, you're with Burke. Karev, Addison. Go. Grey...you are with the chief's wife.

Meredith: The chief's wife?

Bailey: Is pregnant. Yes, I did say pregnant. I recommend that you lose the shocked look and try for something a little more dignified. Go.

Cristina: Who am I on?

Bailey: Uh, I didn't page you. Go home. Get some sleep.

Cristina: Yeah, but I'm here already, so...

Bailey: You're getting married in less than 12 hours.

(Burke and Izzie are headed to the OR with Rina)

Burke: Give us room.

Cristina: Well, uh, Burke's getting married, too, and he gets to operate.

Bailey: There's only one Preston Burke.

Cristina: There's only one Cristina Yang.

Bailey: I've given you the day off, the whole day. It's a kindness. Take it. It's your wedding day. There'll always be more surgeries.

Cristina: But--

Bailey: Really, what would you rather be doing, prepping a patient or prepping for your wedding? Go home.

(Richard is in his office talking with Mark)

Richard: I never got the sense you really wanted the job. Seems to me you got in the race to play out some kind of unfinished business you had with Derek.

Mark: I was in this to win, sir. I don't know if he's your new chief, but if he is, he got there because I made him fight for it.

Richard: You made them all fight for it.

Mark: So I'm not gonna be chief.

Richard: No you're not.

(Derek is in the room with Andy, Jack and Dale)

Dale: They recovered Lonnie's body?

Derek: Not his body. He's alive. So why don't you tell me what really happened up there on the mountain?

Jack: We're half way up this ice wall. There's a...there's a ledge a couple of hundred feet above us. We figured we'd set up the tents, wait out the storm. Only Lonnie's insisting we go down the mountain.

Dale: I told him, we gotta dig in, sit tight. He started freaking out, keeps saying down's the way to go. And then he starts climbing down. We were tied together.

Andy: And just like that...we're falling. I swing out with my ice a*, just trying to catch a rock. And I clip Lonnie in the back of the head. a* just...snags. We thought he was dead.

Jack: It was an accident.

(Adele, Richard and Addison are in her room)

Adele: What happened?

Addison: You've been unconscious for a while.

Adele: what about...

Addison: He knows. Adele, you lost a lot of blood. I'm gonna try to find a heartbeat. You should prepare yourself. Heartbeat. It's a little slower, than I'd like, but once we t*nk you with liquids and a transfusion,

it might get stronger. Um, I've gotta rush off to surgery, but I will back with you the minute I'm done. Okay?

Adele: Thank you.

Addison: Okay.

(Addison leaves)

Richard: Adele, why didn't you tell me?

Adele: Come on, Richard. What do you think you would've done, congratulate me? I'm sure you have work to do.

Richard: I'm good right here.

(Alex and Addison walk up to a nurse's station)

Alex: The Peds resident's on call. He'll be in the OR For Rina's delivery.

Addison: Great. Just make sure they notified the NICU.

(Jeff Pope walks up)

Jeff: Hi. Sorry for interrupting. The nurse said that you're Dr. Montgomery.

Addison: Yes. Can I help you with something?

Jeff: I'm Jeff Pope Rebecca's husband?

(Cristina is at her apartment trying to sleep. She lays in bed staring at her wedding dress)

(Jeff enters Rebecca's room)

Jeff: Rebecca? Rebecca?

Rebecca: Hi, Jeff.

Jeff: You, uh...your face...but it's you. I'm so sorry, baby. I should've never let you go. I'll never let you go again.

(Alex walks up and sees them hugging)

(Derek walks past Meredith in the hall)

Meredith: Hey.

Derek: I have a surgery.

Meredith: I heard you're the best man.

Derek: Yeah.

Meredith: Well, maid of honor, best man, kinda perfect.

Meredith: I know I haven't been myself lately, but I'm me again, so I was thinking maybe you should sleep over,

because the me that I am is horny for the you that you are.

Derek: I met a woman last night.

Meredith: You met a woman last night?

Derek: At Joe's. Nothing happened. She was pretty, I noticed, and we talked.

Meredith: You met a woman last night?

Meredith: So should I be worried or something?

Derek: Should you be worried that I met a woman? No. Should you be worried that, for me, flirting with that woman was the highlight of my week? Yeah, you should be worried or something.

(Derek walks away)

(Richard is in his office talking with Addison)

Addison: I don't understand.

Richard: It's not you.

Addison: No, I understand that part. What I don't understand is why. I need this job, Richard. I need it more than the others.

Richard: Addison--

Addison: No, I need a reason to stay here. I need a reason to get up in the morning. I need to wake up and not care that it's raining or that I'm 39 and alone. I need the job, Richard.

Richard: That's why. If you need a job to give you a life, you either need a new job or a new life.

(Burke and Derek are in the scrub room)

Burke: I'm thinking four hours tops to repair this heart, if all goes well.

Derek: You're a lucky man, Burke. Cristina's great. She's there, she's sure. She's willing to commit. You're a lucky man.

Burke: And you're not?

(Mark enters)

Mark: There he is. T-minus five hours. And how's the best man? Up to the challenge? I was an excellent best man.

Derek: You know, the worst case scenario is I sleep with your wife in ten years.

Burke: Okay.

(Bailey is checking the bulletin board near the nurse's station)

Callie: I just checked. Chief resident hasn't been posted yet

Bailey: Um, no, no. I wasn't looking for chief resident.

Callie: Yeah, you were.

Bailey: Yeah. Okay, I was.

(George walks by and enters an office, Callie follows him)

Callie: George...

George: Hey.

Callie: What I'm about to say is, uh, is crazy, and, uh, I...I...I am not responsible. I...I am saying this against my will. Because I am a surgeon, okay? I...I...I love my job. I love my life exactly as it is. Okay? Exactly as it is. Do you understand what I'm saying?

George: Not really

Callie: I...I have no desire to house a human being in my body for nine lo months and then...and then...and then push it out and raise it. Okay? None. Zero.

George: Okay.

Callie: Except housing a human for nine long months is all that I can think about. It...it...the thoughts are invading the surgeries that I love, and it's...it's...it's...it's hormonal. It's...and horrible. But it is happening...to me.

George: You want to have a baby?

Callie: Apparently.

George: There's a guy with an a* in his head.

Callie: Right. So go. I'm a freak. Just go. Just run. Just...

George: Thank you.

Callie: Please.

(Richard is sitting at Adele's bedside)

Adele: Go. I'm fine.

Richard: Take your pill...and drink your water.

Adele: Richard, you know you wanna go out that door and start bossing some people around.

Richard: Take your pill, Adele. See? I can do my bossing right from this chair.

Adele: Go ahead, Richard, ask. I know you are dying to know whose baby...

Richard: Not really my place.

(Meredith enters)

Meredith: Mrs. Webber...your room is ready.

(Patricia enters)

Patricia: Excuse me, but what do you want to do about the announcement for chief of surgery?

Richard: Look, I will be right back. I promise.

Adele: We've met before. You probably don't remember. You were little.

Meredith: Oh.

Adele: My husband always flirted with your mother. I didn't want to see that, so...I watched you a lot, watched you grow up. You turned out well. I'm sorry about your mother.

Meredith: I'M...sorry about my mother, too.

Adele: It wasn't your fault. Maybe it wasn't anyone's fault. You get married at 25 thinking, this is it, happily ever after. Maybe there is no happily ever after.

(Cristina and Jane are at Cristina's getting ready for the wedding)

Jane: It's stunning.

Cristina: It's a little...um, is it supposed to be so tight?

Jane: Well, it's a choker.

Cristina: It's beautiful. It's really, really beautiful. I just don't know if it's me.

Jane: Five generations of Burke women have worn this on their wedding day. It's a way of...joining our family, becoming a Burke.

Cristina: A Burke.

Jane: I'm afraid I misjudged you early on. I thought you were selfish. But you've given way to Preston's ideas about the wedding, and you've been flexible about the things that are...most important to him. And that is wonderful. Oh! It's just...what were you planning to do about your eyebrows?

Cristina: Nothing.

(Rina's OR)

Addison: How's she doing?

Burke: BP'S 92 over 56.

Addison: How'd the reunion go with Jane Doe's husband?

Alex: Whatever. He cried like a baby. She looked bored.

Addison: Don't go overboard with compassion, Karev.

Alex: She's not even sure if she wants to stay with the guy. It's complicated

Izzie: It's not actually...complicated. They're married. She took a vow. You don't mess with vows. Married is married. Game over. So freaking over. Just an opinion.

Burke: Pressure's dropped to 60. She's bradying down. Addison, how much longer?

Addison: Rupturing the membrane now. I just need two minutes to get these babies out.

Burke: Make it one. She's flat lined. Stevens, start compressions.

Addison: Got the first one out. Clamp.

Burke: Come on come on.

Addison: Second baby's out. Okay, go.

Burke: Boki, 10-blade.

(Lonnie's OR)

George: Poor guy...he just wanted to climb a mountain, and he ends up with an axe in his head.

Derek: Well he shouldn't have tried to turn back. The group is going up you go with the group. Okay, drill, please.

George: He panicked. You have a right to turn back if you're scared.

Derek: No, you don't. You chose to climb a mountain. You can't change your mind in the middle of the climb.

Derek: Okay.

George: Now we pull it out?

Derek: Ah, yeah, but the axe went in as they fell, so there will be some tearing, it should be a shallow wound,

and it should come out easily. You ready?

George: Yup.

Derek: All right everybody. Here we go. Ready? Okay, one, two...three. (The axe doesn't move) That's strange.

One...two...Three! That's a clean cut.

George: I thought you said there was gonna be tearing.

Derek: I know. It doesn't make sense.

George: You are a lucky guy.

Derek: Yeah. Or the a* didn't go in there by accident.

(Richard is talking with Burke in his office)

Richard: It's probably unfair, but I hold you to a higher standard. And you let me down this year, Preston.

After you got sh*t, the tremor...this job is about making the tough calls. Sometimes the toughest call you can make is admitting when you're in over your head. You don't do that. You know a lot, Preston. You're one of the best surgeons I know...one of the best men. But you're not perfect. You don't know everything. I want to give you the job. I want to. But I can't. Preston.

Burke: I have a wedding to get to.

Richard: Yeah.

(Rina's OR)

Addison: Thank you. Yeah, the babies are doing great. They're in the NICU. How are you doing up there, Preston?

Burke: Close call, but she's stabilized.

Addison: Good work, Dr. Burke. We may actually get you to the church on time. You nervous?

Burke: No, not really. More, uh... excited.

Addison: Hmm.

Burke: Um, except about my vows. I wrote them myself, and...I don't know. They may be too...I want 'em to be right.

Addison: Well, let's hear 'em.

Burke: What, now?

Addison: Hey, you've got a room full of women. Try it out on us.

Burke: Cristina...I could promise...to hold you...and to cherish you. I could promise to be there in sickness and in health. I could say...till death do us part. But I won't. Those vows are for...optimistic couples, the ones full of hope. And I do not stand here on my wedding day optimistic or full of hope.

Addison: Okay, um...

Burke: I am not optimistic. I am not hopeful. I am sure. I am steady. And I know. I am a heart man. I take 'em apart. I put 'em back together. I hold them in my hands. I am a heart man. So of this I am sure...you are my partner...my lover...my very best friend. My heart, my heart...beats for you. And on this day, the day of our wedding, I promise you this...I promise you to lay my heart in the palm of your hands. I promise you... me.

What too trite? Because I can rewrite it...

Izzie: No. No. It's...

Addison: I think I speak for...every woman in this room when I say dump her. Dump Yang and marry me.
(George enters the on-call room where Callie is sleeping)

George: Hey. Hey.

Callie: Hey. Oh, god. Did I miss a page?

George: No, no, no, no, no. Everything's okay.

Callie: What?

George: Is this really what you want? Cause if it's really what you want, we could do it.

Callie: Really?

George: Yeah.

Callie: Okay, wait. Really?

George: Really.

Callie: Oh, my god. oh, my god. Really?

(Alex walks into the NICU where Jeff is holding his new daughter)

Jeff: She looks like Rebecca. Well, at least what Rebecca used to look like. But still... around the eyes.

Alex: Yeah.

Jeff: I thought I'd give her some space. She seemed a little overwhelmed.

Alex: The ferry crash was on the news everywhere. Your wife goes missing... how could you not look for her?

Jeff: I thought she left me. We got into a fight that night. She was trying to tell me how unhappy she was and... I shut her down. Yeah, I didn't look for her when she was missing, but what's worse is...I didn't see her when she was there. I can't imagine what it must have been like for her, what her face must have looked like all broken.

Alex: She was beautiful.

Jeff: I... I love her. You know?

(Meredith is at a nurse's station and Cristina walks up)

Cristina: Meredith.

Meredith: Oh. You are not gonna believe...Derek met a girl... in a bar. And he flirted with her. And he told me.

You know, no big deal. Just thought I should know.

Meredith: I'm not exaggerating. He didn't even hint. He just flat out told me.

Cristina: Meredith, you know how sometimes it's about you, and sometimes it's about me? This is really, really about me.

(She turns around to look at Cristina)

Meredith: Whoa.

Cristina: Mama took my eyebrows. She took my eyebrows, and now I am a Burke.

(Derek enters the room where Andy, Dale and Jack are)

Derek: Lonnie's stable...but the damage he sustained is significant.

Jack: But is he gonna wake up?

Derek: Do you want him to?

Dale: What?

Derek: The axe in his head was put there deliberately. I just wanted to give you three guys another opportunity to tell me the truth.

Andy: It wasn't...

Jack: Shut up, Andy.

Andy: But we can't just sit here...

Jack: I said shut up, Andy.

Derek: Is that how you let him talk to you at 14,000 feet? I have to talk to his family. You guys can talk to the cops.

(Meredith and Cristina walk up to Bailey. She is staring at the bulletin where a note announces that Callie is the new chief resident)

Meredith: Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: Yeah. What?

Meredith: Cristina needs to cut something. I can't really explain it in a way that won't make you glare. But... they took her eyebrows and they called her a Burke. She really needs to cut somebody open.

Bailey: Yang...go... do... getting married things. Get out of this hospital.

Cristina: Hey! I mean... hey. I...you have to let me cut, because I am standing here eyebrowless with no dignity left. I am a surgeon, Dr. Bailey. But right now I don't feel like one. I feel... like...somebody else. Do you know what that's like, not to feel like yourself?

Bailey: Yeah.

(Addison enters Adele's room)

Addison: What's going on?

Richard: She started cramping and then she got really diaphoretic.

Addison: Alert OB to a possible D&C due to an incomplete miscarriage. Adele, you could have a placental abruption due to the trauma. We've got to get you to into an OR wow.

(Patricia enters Richard office)

Patricia: Sir, Dr. Shepherd is here.

Richard: Thank you.

Derek: Richard, are you sure you want to...you don't have to do this today.

Richard: Yes, I do.

(Addison walks up to Richard in the waiting room)

Addison: She went into early DIC I gave her blood, platelets, FFP, pregnancy at 52 is dangerous. I tried everything. I couldn't save...

(Richard runs into the OR)

Richard: I thought...I thought...for a second, I thought I'd lost you. Um...do you want to...call somebody? I can...

Adele: No, no one.

Richard: Well, the father of the baby, maybe you want to...

Adele: He doesn't even know about it. I didn't tell him. I, um... I think I misjudged him. I thought he'd go running for the hills. But actually...He'll get over his initial judgments, and he'll...sit with you...and he'll make you drink your water.

Richard: Adele...

Adele: It was a boy. I'm sorry.

(Derek enters Rina's OR where Burke is still operating)

Derek: All right, Dr. Leonard, would you please close for Dr. Burke? He has a wedding to get to.

(Bailey and Cristina are in the OR)

Bailey: One cut, and then you're gone. One.

(Rina's OR)

Burke: But...but I still have to...

Derek: Come on. You want your bride waiting for you at the altar? They don't like that. Let's go.

(OR)

Meredith: We gotta go now, Cristina.

Bailey: Grey.

Meredith: Put the scalpel down, Cristina. You can still do this, right?

(Izzie enters the locker room where George)

George: What?

Izzie: Uh, hold on a minute. I just wanted to make sure no one's around so I can say this.

George: I think we've said everything we need to say.

Izzie: Shut up. I am an optimist. I am hopeful. I am not sure.

George: Look, I can do this myself.

Izzie: Let me speak. Because I'm your best friend and because I love you, if what you want is to be with Callie,.

then I will do everything in my power to support you and help you make your marriage work But because I'm your best friend and because I love you...I also have to say...that I'm in love with you. I'm in love with you. I can't promise the future, I can't promise perfection because we're us and I'm me and who knows what will happen. But in my heart...I am sure. I'm in love with you, George. And I hope you're in love with me, too.

Izzie: Say something.

(Meredith and Cristina enter)

Meredith: What time is it?

Alex: You got 30 minutes.

Cristina: Oh, crap. I'm gonna be late for my own wedding

Meredith: No, we're not.

(Derek enters Andy's room)

Derek: Dr. Burke asked me to check on you. Let's see. Your, um...your post-op x-rays look good. We'll discuss releasing you.

Andy: Any change in Lonnie?

Lawyer: Andy?

Derek: Who are you?

Andy: He's my lawyer.

Derek: That was fast.

Andy: Don't you dare judge me. You weren't there. We thought...he was almost dead. No way he was gonna make it. He was in so much pain. So I...picked it up...

Lawyer: Andy, shut up.

Andy: No! I'm not gonna shut up. I put him out of his misery. And if I was back there right now...I'd do the same thing. He was my friend. He is my friend. I put him out of his misery.

(The interns are all getting ready for the wedding)

Alex: Anyone got any deodorant?

Cristina: Um, you're not putting my deodorant in your hairy armpits.

Izzie: Don't move. You're gonna have a unibrow. And I have some in my locker.

George: Uh, closed? Open?

Meredith: Closed. Perfect. Dashing.

George: Thanks.

Izzie: You look great.

(Patricia enters)

Patricia: Moment of truth, people.

Alex: Those our scores?

Patricia: Grey. Karev. Yang.

Cristina: Thank you.

Patricia: Stevens. O'Malley.

Cristina: Yes!

Alex: Right here, baby.

Izzie: Yes. Thank god.

Cristina Did you pass?

Meredith: You bet your married booty, I did.

Izzie: How'd you do? Did you pass?

George: Yeah. I'll talk to you at the church.

Izzie: Okay.

Cristina: All right. Let's go.

(Derek enters as the interns are leaving)

Derek: Excuse me.

Meredith: I'll meet you at the chapel. Iz, will you take the dress?

Izzie: Yes. Okay.

Meredith: I'll be right there.

Izzie: Okay.

(Alex enters Rebecca's room)

Rebecca: I like the suit. The suit is way better than the scrubs.

Alex: Thanks. Hey, uh, I passed my intern exam.

Rebecca: Good!

Alex: Yeah.

Rebecca: That's good. We got discharged, me and the baby.

Rebecca: My body's been signed off on by...plastics, cardio, orthopedics, neuro and OB, and my...and also, my

teeth got a blessing from...wait, I can say this...prosthodontics.

Alex: Yeah, but there's still your memory...

Rebecca: You know how I know my memory's fine? Because I can say prosthodontics.

Alex: Yeah, but the baby...

Rebecca: Discharged, by peds.

Alex: Yeah, but...

Rebecca: I have every reason to go. And...and yeah, I'm scared. And yeah, this is...this is moving at warp speed. And yeah, I'm freaking out, but Jeff is good. And...and Jeff is the father of my child. The man is out buying a car seat right now. And the minute he gets back...I...I have every reason to go, because medically...

there's no need for me to stay. Medically.

Alex: Oh. Yeah. Okay. Well, then I'll just check the chart.

Rebecca: Damn it.

Alex: We got, uh... what?

Rebecca: Are you...do I...do I have to spell everything out for you? I mean, did...did you sniff too much glue as a child? I'm asking you something here.

Alex: What do you want from me?

Rebecca: I want...I want you to give me a reason to stay...a real reason. I mean, Jeff's...Jeff's a decent guy, a good, decent guy. But to him, I'm Rebecca, and I don't know if I am Rebecca anymore and...you know me. You knew...you knew when I couldn't even speak who I was. You...you named me Ava, and I was more me

as Ava then I'll ever be as Rebecca. Look, I...I have every reason to go back to my life. And I will. Unless...you...Alex, I'm asking you to give me a reason to stay here...a reason from you.

Alex: Jeff loves you. He's A...he's a decent guy.

Rebecca: Alex, give me a reason.

Alex: I think you should stick with the decent guy.

(Derek and Meredith are in the locker room)

Meredith: If you want to break up with me so you can see other women, just do it. Don't tell me you met another woman. Just end it if that's what you want.

Derek: I can't.

Meredith: Sure you can. Here's how it goes...Meredith, I don't want to see you anymore. Meredith, I don't love you anymore.

Derek: Meredith...I do love you. Don't you see? Don't you understand? You're the love of my life. I can't leave you. But you're constantly leaving me. You walk away when you want, you come back when you want. Not everyone, not your friends, but you leave me. So I'm asking you...if you don't see a future for us, if you aren't in this...please...please just end it, because I can't. I'm in it. Put me out of my misery.

Meredith: I...I can't. I...I...Cristina is getting married. I have to go make sure she gets married.

Derek: Meredith...

Meredith: I really need to make sure she gets down that aisle.

Derek: Let's go. We're running late.

(Derek and Burke are waiting in the chapel)

Burke: You okay?

Derek: I'm fine. I'm fine. You need anything? Need a mint, huh? A getaway car?

Burke: If it's the chief thing, don't worry about it. You deserve it.

Derek: Richard didn't pick me to be chief.

Burke: We all assumed you...well, who did he pick?

Derek: I don't know. It wasn't me.

Burke: You really don't...look so good.

Derek: Meredith and I may not make it. I think I want it more than she does. But today's your day. It's all about you today.

Burke: You really are a good best man.

Derek: I try.

(Meredith is in the hall and knocking on the door to the bridal dressing room)

Meredith: Cristina. Cristina?

Cristina: I didn't run.

Helen: Oh! -You look beautiful. I'm proud of you.

Cristina: Thank you.

Helen: Frankly, I always feared you were too emotionally stunted to settle down.

Meredith: You can do this.

(Alex sits down next to Addison in the chapel)

Addison: I've always found it confusing. If you know both the bride and the groom, which side do you sit on?

Alex: I just look for the hottest chick in the room and sit next to her.

Addison: Stop.

Alex: Wanna ditch the reception, grab a drink instead?

Addison: Stop it. You don't want me.

Alex: Maybe I do.

Addison: No, you don't. You want Ava.

Alex: She's not Ava anymore. She's Rebecca now, and I barely know her.

Addison: Look at me. Look at me. You suck. To me, you suck. I kind of...hate you. But, Alex, we not get unlimited chances to have the things we want. And this I know...nothing is worse than missing an opportunity

that could've changed your life. And no matter what her name is, she'll always be Ava to you.

(George walks over to Bailey who is sitting on a bench outside of the hospital)

George: Dr. Bailey.

Bailey: You didn't go to the wedding either.

George: No.

Bailey: I am...so sorry, George.

George: So, um...what do I do now?

Bailey: You fail your intern test, you have two options. You can...walk away from being a surgical resident altogether, or you can start from the very beginning.

George: Repeat my internship? No. I can't. I can't.

Bailey: Did I...did I fail you, George?

George: No. No. I failed you.

(Izzie is peaking into the chapel when Alex rushes out)

Izzie: Ooh. It looks so pretty in there. I see Burke.

Alex: Yang...the twins looks nice in that dress.

Cristina: Thank you. Sort of.

Alex: I gotta go. I gotta check...

Callie: Oh, you're on call?

Izzie: Oh, wait, Alex, Did you see George in there? I don't see him.

Callie: He's, uh...probably gonna be late. We had kind of a big, emotional day.

Izzie: Oh, really?

Callie: Yeah.

Izzie: Did something happen between you two? I mean...

Callie: No. It's just that I was named chief resident. Plus we decided to have a baby, so...

Izzie: A baby?

Callie: Yeah, we're trying. We tried today, in fact.

Izzie: Wow.

Callie: Yeah. Big day.

(The wedding march starts playing)

Meredith: Okay, this is it. Okay?

Cristina: Yeah.

Meredith: You have the bouquet.

Meredith: I have the ring.

Meredith: You remember your vows?

Cristina: Yeah. I wrote them on my...

Cristina: Oh, my god I scrubbed in. I scrubbed in, and the vows were on my hand. I scrubbed off my vows.

Meredith: Oh, okay. Um...

Cristina: Okay, hello? I...I scrubbed off my vows. I...I can't...I can't do this. I don't have any...I don't have anything on my hand!

(Inside the chapel)

Derek: I should go see what's going on.

Burke: Well, Cristina wouldn't be Cristina if she didn't need a little push.

(In the hallway)

Cristina: There are no words in my head. Okay? I have no vows. No vows.

Meredith: It's okay. It's going to be okay.

Cristina: You know what? Stop saying that! Will you say something else?

Meredith: Like what?

Cristina: Say something that is gonna help me.

Meredith: Okay, okay! I...

Cristina: Meredith, please. You know what? Say something. Say...you know what? I don't know what. Say...say...okay. Say what I would say to you if you were me.

Cristina: Good.

Meredith: Got it.

Cristina: Good, go.

Meredith: Stop whining. This is your wedding day. You will go down that aisle and you will get married. If I have to kick your ass every step of the way to get you there, you will walk down the aisle. You will get married.

Do you hear me, Cristina? We need this. We need you to get your happy ending.

Cristina: Okay, I'm ready.

Meredith: All right, then.

Cristina: My train.

(Inside the chapel)

Burke: I'll go.

(Burke walks down the aisle towards the hallway)

Cristina: Oh. I'm ready. I'm fine. I...Meredith talked me down. Really, I'm fine. Go, go, go. I'll be right behind you.

Burke: I'm sorry.

Cristina: Oh...I can do this. You know, I had a momentary freak out, but now I'm fine. I can do this. Go.

Burke: But you don't want to do this. I'm up there waiting for you to come down the aisle, and I knew you don't want to come. I know you don't want to come but that you'll come anyway because you love me. And if I loved you...if I loved you, not the woman that I'm trying to make you be, not the woman that I hope you'll become,

but you...if I did...I wouldn't be up there waiting for you. I would be letting you go.

Cristina: I am wearing the dress. I'm ready. And...and maybe I didn't want to before, but I want to now. I really think I want this.

Burke: And I really wish that you didn't think. I wish that you knew.

(Meredith enters the chapel and walks to the front)

Meredith: It's over. You can all go home. It's over. It's so over.

(Joe and Walter are holding the twin babies. Adele and Richard walk past and smile. Alex goes to Ava's room but she is already gone)

(Meredith enters Cristina's apartment where she is crying)

Cristina: He's gone.

Meredith: I...I...I don't think he's gone. Uh, his stuff is here.

Cristina: No, it isn't. His trumpet was here. His entire Eugene Foote collection...vinyl's and cd's...his grandmother's picture was by the bed. His lucky scrub cap was hanging on the door. He's gone.

I'm...I'm free. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. Oh, god. Get this off me. Take this off! Take this off!

Please, just...I can't...help me, help me, help me!

(Meredith literally cuts the wedding dress off of Cristina and then she breaks down into Meredith's arms)

(Izzie is sitting in the chapel and Callie is watching her from afar)

(A new group of interns enter the locker room where George is packing his things)

Male Intern 1: Ah, nice.

Male Intern 2: Do we get assigned lockers here or what?

Male Inter 1: Dude, it stinks in here.

Female Intern 2: What do you want? It's a locker room.

Male Intern 1: No, it's our locker room.

Male Intern 2: You guys, look, bloody scrubs.

George: Hi.

Male Intern 1: Hi.

Male Intern 2: Come on, you guys. Let's, um, let's go check out the cafeteria.

Male Intern 1: Yeah.

(The interns leave except for one. She is the woman who was talking to Derek in the bar the night before)

Female Intern 2: Hey.

George: Hi.

Female Intern 2: We're the new interns.

Female Intern 2: Well, you look seasoned and wise. Um...got any advice?

George: No. Learn how to do an appendectomy start to finish before your first day.

Female Intern 2: You're leaving?

Female Intern 2: Better offer?

George: Just, uh...you know, life.

Female Intern 2: Yeah. Anyways, uh, good luck with...life, doctor...

George: My name is George.

Female Intern 2: I'm Lexie. Lexie Grey.

(Derek is in Richard's office)

Richard: Congratulations. You'll make a fine chief. Derek?

Derek: I'm not the best man for this job. You're the best man for this job.

Richard: What are you talking about, Derek?

Derek: A good chief learns from his mistakes. I'm still working on that. But you...if you had a chance to do it all over again, you'd do it differently. Go ahead. Do it all over again. Be the best man.

(Derek leaves and Richard is left standing alone in his office)