01x11 - Après Moi, Le Déluge

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Originals". Aired October 2013 - August 2018.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The Original vampire family, from The Vampire Diaries, return and settle in the city they helped build, New Orleans.

01x11 - Après Moi, Le Déluge

Post by bunniefuu »

ELIJAH: The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them hexa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and b*rned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina.

KLAUS: Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection. Your Celeste was quite beautiful and a portent of evil according to our volatile artist in residence.

ELIJAH: Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over 200 years. I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?

KLAUS: Why does any witch do anything?

DAVINA'S ROOM

DAVINA: Go away! (Makes Marcel fly against the wall.)

MARCEL: Come on. You got to be starving. You haven't eaten since--

DAVINA: Since your best friend k*lled my best friend?

MARCEL: Davina, I'm sorry about what happened to this kid Tim.

DAVINA: I'm sorry you don't hate Klaus for what he did or want to make him pay.

MARCEL: He'll pay for what he did one way or the other, but right now, I just want to make peace with you.

DAVINA: Why? So we can be one big happy frankenstein family?

ANOTHER ROOM

KLAUS: Well, that's going well.

ELIJAH: If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea.

KLAUS: Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?

ELIJAH: Give me a month. I'll get you list.

KLAUS: Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass.

DAVINA'S ROOM

(Davina starts vomiting dirt)

MARCEL: Davina, Davina!

(Klaus enters)

KLAUS: What's with all the racket? Bloody hell.

ANOTHER ROOM

HAYLEY: Elijah? There's something you need to know.

(The house begins to shake, like there's an earthquake. Hayley and Elijah go to the balcony and see Rebekah)

REBEKAH: What the hell is going on?

KLAUS: Davina.

TITLE CARD AND OPENING CREDITS

DAVINA'S ROOM

REBEKAH: Hey. What kind of game do you think you're playing? I said disrupt the household, not destroy the whole city.

DAVINA: I didn't do it. Not on purpose. I--I don't know what's wrong with me.

ANOTHER ROOM

KLAUS: This is madness. How can a 16-year-old girl shake the entire French quarter?

MARCEL: I've seen her rock the church, but I've never seen anything like this.

KLAUS: How did you control her when she was in the attic?

MARCEL: I didn't have to, but then I never k*lled her boyfriend.

KLAUS: Yes, yes. We've been over this part already. The point is in her present state she's useless as a tool against the witches.

MARCEL: She's not a tool.

KLAUS: Something's wrong with her.

ELIJAH: She has too much power that she cannot control. That much we already knew. But why is it manifesting itself in such an aggressive manner?

KLAUS: Where are you going?

ELIJAH: This is witch business. Let's ask a witch.

(Elijah meets Hayley outside the room)

HAYLEY: You're going to see Sophie.

ELIJAH: You don't have to eavesdrop. I keep nothing from you.

HAYLEY: Yeah. Well, I don't want to keep anything from you either, and if you're going out to see Sophie, then there's something that you should know. She called me and asked me for a favor. She promised me that she would help break the curse that Marcel put on my people in exchange for some information. And I didn't think anything of it, but then Davina started doing those pictures of Celeste--

ELIJAH: Whatever this is, you have to tell me.

HAYLEY: Sophie wanted to find Celeste's remains, so I went through your journals, and I found out where you buried her, and then I told her. I know it was stupid and it was snoopy, And I--I should have just asked you. Please say something. Please.

ELIJAH: She wanted to be left in peace. When a witch's remains are consecrated, that power fuels the rest of their community. Celeste did not want her remains to be found. She made me promise to bury her where she would not be found. You not only violated my privacy, You have broken my promise to her.

HAYLEY: I thought they were just bones, Elijah.

ELIJAH: If you truly believed that, why didn't you ask me where to find her?

CEMETERY

SOPHIE: If that's dinner, I pass.

SABINE: Sophie, where have you been?

SOPHIE: Short answer-- grave robbing. Stop whatever you're doing. We need to find Davina. I figured out a way to complete the harvest.

SABINE: What? How?

SOPHIE: We need an elder to do it, right? I figured out a way how to become one.

SABINE: Soph, you can't just become an elder. That power has to be bestowed upon you by the other elders, all of whom are dead. Following my logic?

SOPHIE: How about follow your history? I did research. In 1742, there was a witch m*ssacre that wiped out all the elders, so they decided whoever consecrated the most powerful dead witch in the community became an elder. It worked for them.

SABINE: Teeny flaw. What powerful witch is even left for you to bury?

SOPHIE: Meet Celeste Marie-Hélène Dubois, Elijah Mikaelson's old lover. She was drowned in 1821 for being a witch. He buried her, never told anyone where.

SABINE: So how the hell did you find her?

SOPHIE: I bribed Hayley to read his journals, and then I dug her ass up so I could consecrate her bones and absorb her power.

SABINE: That's not disrespectful.

SOPHIE: Yeah? Well, we only have a couple more weeks to complete the harvest.

SABINE: Soph, I'm aware of our deadline, but--

SOPHIE: And if we fail, the witches are done for in this town. Our power will fade for good. Those girls sacrificed will never resurrect. My niece will never come back. If digging up some creepy old bones means I get Monique back, I don't care about anything else.

ELIJAH: I happen to care. You're coming with me.

THE ABATTOIR

ELIJAH: So you have stolen the remains of the very person that Davina's been drawing for months. Would you care to explain this startling coincidence?

SOPHIE: I can't. I didn't even know who Celeste Dubois was until I--

(The house shakes, like the apparent earthquake before)

SOPHIE: Was that Davina?

KLAUS: Charming little habit she's developed.

SOPHIE: And the earthquake I felt today?

REBEKAH: Also Davina, and she's taken to vomiting dirt.

SOPHIE: Oh. We have a huge problem. I thought that we had more time, but we need to complete the harvest now.

KLAUS: Said the desperate witch conveniently.

SOPHIE: I'm serious. That earthquake you just felt a preview of the disaster movie that is about to hit us.

ELIJAH: Why should we believe you?

SOPHIE: You've met Davina, you know her story. For months now, she's been holding all the power of the three girls sacrificed in the harvest ritual. A force that was meant to flow through her and back into the earth. One person was never meant to hold that much power. It's tearing her apart, and it will take us down with it.

THE FRENCH QUARTER – EXTERIOR

KLAUS: We need to prepare. According to Sophie Deveraux, as Davina self-destructs, she'll cycle through four stages that represent the four elements that bound together the harvest.

KIERAN: The earthquake?

KLAUS: Yes. Earth stage comes first.

DAVINA'S ROOM

REBEKAH: Then comes wind, and since each stage is more intense than the last, let's just say you'll blow the roof off this place.

OUTSIDE

KLAUS: Then after the wind is water.

KIERAN: Rain, flood. How bad?

KLAUS: Quite bad actually, but that's not the worst of it.

THE ABATTOIR

SOPHIE: The last stage is fire, and since it's the last

OUTSIDE

KLAUS: It will be by far the worst. But I didn't take over this town to watch it burn to the ground.

KIERAN: You can stop this, right?

KLAUS: Yes, but you're not gonna like how.

DAVINA'S ROOM

REBEKAH: They want to complete the harvest.

DAVINA: - No! - The witches say you'll be resurrected. They're liars! They'll say anything to get what they want Just like Marcel, just like you.

REBEKAH: Davina, you may think that I don't care about you, but you're wrong. I know what it's like to have your life stripped away from you because of other people's bad decisions. How do you think I became a vampire?

ANOTHER ROOM

ELIJAH: You've convinced my siblings. You have yet to convince us.

SOPHIE: We don't have time to waste. The first sign's already come and gone.

MARCEL: So fix her.

SOPHIE: She can't be fixed.

DAVINA'S ROOM

(Rebekah has a syringe)

DAVINA: What--what is that?

REBEKAH: The more upset you become, the faster you deteriorate. I compelled up some sedative.

DAVINA: No, no, no!

REBEKAH: We keep you calm, we keep you alive Davina.

DAVINA: - Stop! -

ANOTHER ROOM

SOPHIE: She can't be saved. This will not stop at the earth sign, and if you wait it out, you immortals will be the only ones left to argue about it.

DAVINA'S ROOM

DAVINA: No! Please! No! Please! Nooo!

(High winds blow through the Quarter. Rebekah finally injects the sedative and Davina goes unconscious. The wind stops)

ANOTHER ROOM

SOPHIE: Convinced now?

THE ABATTOIR

ELIJAH: We sedated her too heavily.

KLAUS: Well, if this is her sedated, I'd hate to see her otherwise. We all agreed that Davina must be sacrificed. There's no need to let her blow the roof off our heads in the meantime.

MARCEL: No way! You're not touching her!

KLAUS: Ok. I'll let you have that one.

ELIJAH: Marcel, no one wishes to see Davina come to harm less than I, but there is no scenario here in which we simply wait this out. She's going to die.

MARCEL: According to Sophie, the witch who screwed over everybody here.

ELIJAH: The harvest was working before it was stopped. If a nonbeliever like Sophie Deveraux can come to have faith that these girls will be resurrected, then I, also, am a believer.

MARCEL: I saved Davina from the harvest, and now you want me to just hand her over?

KLAUS: Do you think that I'm happy about this? If the witches complete the harvest, not only do they regain their power, we lose our w*apon against them. The earthquake I was willing to chalk up to hideous coincidence, but these winds? If Davina is not sacrificed, then every inch of earth that shook, everything blowing about now will soon be drenched in water and consumed by fire.

MARCEL: Oh! Now you care about the city.

ELIJAH: We ought to. We built it.

KLAUS: And we all saw it burnt to the ground twice. I will not let that happen again. Do I make myself clear?

MARCEL: Yeah. Yeah.

(Marcel leaves)

ELIJAH: Not a people person, are you, Niklaus?

KLAUS: Nonsense. I love people. Just on my way to warn a couple of prominent ones in case the weather gets out of hand. If you fancy yourself as plus diplomatique, perhaps you'd like to come along.

ELIJAH: No. Soon Sophie Deveraux shall be consecrating Celeste's remains, and though her actions are reprehensible, still I should pay my respects.

HAYLEY: Hey. Do you have a minute?

ELIJAH: Just on my way out. KLAUS: Which one of us is the people person again?

ROUSSEAU'S

REBEKAH: Fat lot of good that will do.

SOPHIE: I don't really have time to socialize.

REBEKAH: Good. Neither do I. When you're done burying your witchy bits on sacred ground, are you prepared to perform the harvest? You do realize you have to slit a girl's throat, a very sweet girl as it turns out.

SOPHIE: If it means I get my niece Monique back, I can handle anything. Why are you really here?

REBEKAH: When all this is done, after Davina is resurrected and the witches get their power back, You'll have a decision to make.

SOPHIE: Enlighten me.

REBEKAH: A witch at her full power can trade body blows with a vampire punch for punch. Believe me, I know.

SOPHIE: So do I. Be nice to have a fair fight for a change.

REBEKAH: Well, fair only gets you so far, luv. Clever gets you further. After this, Marcel will still be here, and so will Klaus, and you know better than anyone that those two don't fight fair. You are going to need an original on your side, and I'm gonna need a witch on mine if we're gonna stop those two from running things.

SOPHIE: Am I missing something? Why would you side with me?

REBEKAH: Sometimes, what's more important is not who you're siding with but who you're siding against.
DAVINA'S ROOM

(Marcel remembers the night of the harvest)

:DAVINA: No, no! Let go of me! Stop it!

MARCEL: I got you. I got you right here.

VAMPIRE: Hey. Klaus said not to.

MARCEL: I'm done caring what Klaus says.

(Marcel snaps the guards' necks and takes Davina)

CEMETERY

SABINE: You don't have to be here for this. It's gonna take some time for Sophie to prepare for her consecration.

ELIJAH: I have time. I owe her this.

SABINE: Care to elaborate why?

ELIJAH: Have you ever experienced something so profound and wonderful that when it was taken from you your life felt unbearable?

SABINE: Yes, I have felt that, and I've got the scars to prove it.

ELIJAH: I believe that when you love someone and that person loves you in return you're uniquely vulnerable. They have a power to hurt you that's like nothing else.

(Elijah's phone rings and he answers it)

ELIJAH: Rebekah.

REBEKAH: He's taken the girl.

ELIJAH: Who has?

REBEKAH: Bloody, bloody Marcel!

KLAUS: And you wanted to run off and start a life with this back stabber.

REBEKAH: Says the man who was shacking up with him not two seconds before all this went down. Ok. We need to divide and conquer if we're gonna stand a chance. He could have gone anywhere.

ELIJAH: Well, I'm here with Sabine. Perhaps we could try a locator spell?

KLAUS: I'll talk to the priest. They might even be at the church. It's the last place we'd think to look for them, right?

REBEKAH: Ok. You check the church, I'll check everywhere else.

THE ABATTOIR

(Hayley

KLAUS: What are you doing?

HAYLEY: I was gonna take these to the

KLAUS: If you say, "bayou," I will find a nice comfy dungeon and throw you in it. This is not the night to be out there.

HAYLEY: For anyone. But some people don't have a choice.

KLAUS: Right. Grab that lot and come with me.

CEMETERY

SOPHIE: I consecrate these bones to the earth. Ancestors, hear me. I consecrate these bones to the earth. Ancestors, hear me.

INSIDE A MAUSOLEUM

SABINE: This isn't working.

ELIJAH: She's nowhere to be found.

SABINE: No. It's more like she's everywhere. She's hemorrhaging magic. That means we have less time than we thought. We have got to find her. I have no clue where she is.

ELIJAH: Please concentrate. Try again.

LOCATION NEAR THE DOCKS

(Davina wakes up and throws Marcel away with her magic)

MARCEL: I'm not gonna hurt you.

DAVINA: I don't believe you! You want to k*ll me just like everyone else.

MARCEL: I'm the one who put a protection spell on you, Davina. That's why Tim's dead and you're not. And before you throw me again, if I had known anything was gonna happen to your friend, I would have protected him, too.

DAVINA: You're the one who saved me?

MARCEL: Yeah, but now the witch who did the spell is in league with the rest of them, so I had to take you away.

DAVINA: So you could use me as a w*apon?

MARCEL: I'm trying to keep you safe. Davina, look at me. I messed up. All this power that you have, it gave me an advantage. It helped me punish the witches, and it let me run the city, and I let that mean too much.

MARCEL: All right, but that's over with now. One survivor to another, all I want to do is keep you alive, I swear.

DAVINA: I'm scared. I don't know what's wrong with me.

MARCEL: You're not alone. We'll fix this.

DAVINA: You won't let them hurt me?

MARCEL: No. Nobody's gonna touch you.

ST. ANNE'S CHURCH

KIERAN: We still haven't gone through all that you've already provided, Klaus.

KLAUS: Well, this newest bit isn't from me.

KIERAN: Oh? That's very kind of you...?

HAYLEY: Hayley. And these people are?

KLAUS: I asked Father Kieran to give them shelter. He suffers from an incessant desire to do good. But now I need you to be useful. Marcel and Davina have disappeared. I assume from the stupefied look on your face they haven't sought refuge in your attic.

KIERAN: No. Those days are gone.

KLAUS: Then energize your resources. I don't need to remind you how important it is they be found.

KIERAN: Yes.

(Kieran leaves)

HAYLEY: These people, they're werewolves, and the priest, he said that you donated the food. You're helping them?

KLAUS:They're not your werewolves. They're my clan. From very far back. They've fallen upon hard times, and their plight has brought out the philanthropist in me. What can I say? Must be Elijah's influence.

HAYLEY: What do you mean your clan?

KLAUS: The blood that runs in their veins runs in mine. And in our child's.

HAYLEY: This family gets more complicated by the second.

KLAUS: Listen, Hayley, word of advice when dealing with Elijah. Don't do as I do. Just apologize. He's accomplished in many things, but he is a master of forgiveness.

CEMETERY

SABINE: Ok. Oh, ok. She's somewhere near the river. I can't be more specific.

ELIJAH: It's something. It's a start.

SOPHIE: It didn't work. I tried to consecrate her and absorb her magic, but there's nothing there.

ELIJAH: I don't understand. A witch's magic is infused in her bones until consecrated.

SOPHIE: Well, then someone's already taken it because there's nothing there.

ELIJAH: Has to be another way.

SABINE: There is no other way.

SOPHIE: Unless you know of some superpowerful dead which whose bones were never consecrated, it's over.

ELIJAH: There is someone else actually. Our mother.

THE ABATTOIR

REBEKAH: It's taken 1,000 years, but you've finally gone mad. Our own mother?

ELIJAH: Yes, our beloved mother, who Niklaus has affectionately placed in a coffin in his basement, not daggered but quite dead.

KLAUS: Well, she did try to k*ll us all.

ELIJAH: Well, I say we put her to use and put her to rest once and for all. Now if we bury our mother on land owned by one of her descendents, she becomes a New Orleans witch, and we as her family share in that ancestral magic.

REBEKAH: We're vampires, Elijah. We can't practice magic or own property for that matter.

ELIJAH: Yes. With regard to practicing magic

CEMETERY

SOPHIE: That's where I come in. After they bury their mother, They can channel all her power to me. Only hitch is as conduits of Esther's magic, they need to participate in the harvest.

THE ABATTOIR

ELIJAH: And as for owning property Not all of our mother's descendents are dead.

KLAUS: The baby.

ELIJAH: The baby. The parish tax assessor's office is just steps outside of the quarter. Hayley now holds the title to the plantation. So if we bury our mother there and we consecrate those grounds, we can finish the harvest ritual. KLAUS: You're a bit of a mad genius, Elijah. Count me in.

REBEKAH: Am I the only one thinking? Our mother was the most powerful witch in history. If we bury her, we hand that power to our enemies to use against us.

ELIJAH: Given our circumstances, I hardly see that we have a choice, Rebekah.

REBEKAH: I don't know why I bother. You two will just do what you want anyway.

ELIJAH: No. Our decision must be unanimous.

KLAUS: This is not a democracy.

ELIJAH: You're quite right. This is family. Water. The next sign's begun. Rebekah?

REBEKAH: k*ll a demon today, face the devil tomorrow. Count me in.

KLAUS: Well, this is no family reunion without our mother. I'll fetch her.

THE GARDEN

THIERRY: So much for your grand schemes of using Davina for revenge.

REBEKAH: Survival first, plots to overthrow my brother second. Where would Marcel hide something precious to him?

THIERRY: You think I'm just gonna offer that up so you can leave me here to rot? Water runs downhill. You think I have to have drowned before to know how much that will suck.

REBEKAH: Fire kills vampires, Thierry. You think burning to ash will be pleasant? Look. I am not forsaking you. I promise to live up to my end of the deal. I'll get you out of here when all of this is done. Just tell me where Marcel would go.

THIERRY: There's a place by the docks.

LOCATION NEAR THE DOCKS

DAVINA: If I can just wait it out a few more weeks... Help me, please.

MARCEL: I will, and when it's over, I'll do what I should have done-- get you out of town.

DAVINA: I had a dream that Tim wasn't dead. He played a song that he wrote for me, and he kissed me, and we were just normal.

REBEKAH: That sounds like a beautiful dream.

MARCEL: What are you doing here?

REBEKAH: But it was just a dream.

MARCEL: Get out!

REBEKAH: This is k*lling her. Your stubbornness will mean her death.

MARCEL: I promised her I'd fight for her. I'm not breaking that promise.

REBEKAH: No one is asking you not to fight. You're the only family that this girl has. You owe it to her to fight for her to live.

CEMETERY

KLAUS: Did you find them? Will he bring her?

REBEKAH: He'll bring her.

KIERAN: Are you ready to do this?

KLAUS: Always and forever.

(Klaus takes a dagger out and slices open his hand, and hands it to Rebekah. She does the same, then Elijah, then Hayley. Kieran takes the dagger and throws it into Esther's grave)

KIERAN: It's done.

LOCATION NEAR THE DOCKS

DAVINA: Marcel, it's ok.

MARCEL: No. I failed you.

DAVINA: I'll die whether I do this or not. I mean, now the only option is-- is whether I take everyone with me. If you look at it that way, it's kind of selfish not to do it.

MARCEL: There has to be another way. This is not how it ends.

DAVINA: And if it is... If this is all I have, I've had a lot. I had Monique, and I had Tim And I had someone who fought for me from the moment you met me.

MARCEL: Ah, Davina.

DAVINA: Most people don't get that even if they live to be a hundred. Marcel, I'm ready.

THE CEMETERY

(Flames erupt on the ground)

SOPHIE: Fire.

(Marcel is carrying Davina over and sets her down. Sophie puts a blade into the flames and walks toward Davina)

SOPHIE: Do you believe in the harvest?

DAVINA: I believe.

(Sophie slits Davina's throat. Davina falls back and Marcel catches her in his arms and lays her down. It stops raining. The magic leaves Davina's body.)

SOPHIE: After the harvest comes the reaping. Their sacrifices made and accepted. We call upon our elders to resurrect the chosen ones. (nothing happens.) We call upon our elders to resurrect the chosen ones... Resurrect your chosen ones... Please? I beg... No!

(Sophie starts sobbing, Marcel looks toward Klaus with look of hatred, then speed vamps away.)

THE ABATTOIR

(Klaus comes upon Marcel throwing things)

KLAUS: That won't bring her back, you know.

MARCEL: This is YOUR fault! I should have never let you anywhere near her!

KLAUS: Marcel.

MARCEL: This city was fine before you came. We were fine! Davina was safe, she was in control! If you hadn't gotten her worked up, if you hadn't k*lled that boy!

KLAUS: My condolences the girl is gone. But don't lose perspective. We still have our community. The vampires of this town...

MARCEL: I don't CARE about the vampires! She is dead! Do you hear me?!

(Klaus hugs Marcel.)

KLAUS: I'm sorry. You may think I know nothing of your grief, but you are wrong. In the days after I fled this city, I thought you were dead. It was years before I could speak your name, so keenly did I feel that loss. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

THE FRENCH QUARTER – EXTERIOR

HAYLEY: Are you ready to forgive me yet?

ELIJAH: It's not that easy, Hayley.

HAYLEY: Elijah, I was wrong to go through your journals, I was wrong to tell Sophie about Celeste, but after everything that happened today, I don't know why we can't see past this.

ELIJAH: And you of all people should know why. During my fever in the bayou, you were inside my mind. You know what Celeste means to me.

HAYLEY: Don't you mean meant to you?

ELIJAH: No. Do you have any idea how rare love is? In a thousand years, I have found it but twice, and when I have, I have honored it.

HAYLEY: I know what a promise means to you, Elijah, but you made it 200 years ago. I live in the now. If I feel something, I act. If I want something, I take it. I won't choose the dead over the living, so why are you? I'm sorry, Elijah.

THE ABATTOIR

KLAUS: This whole thing was doomed from the start, you know? Yes, we saved the city, and I'm not complaining about the witches losing their power, but this did not go down the way I thought it would. You surprised me, though. You were quite resourceful today. How did you find them down at the docks?

REBEKAH: You're not the only one with clever little spies in the quarter, Nik. KLAUS: Sometimes I think I don't give you your due, little sister.

REBEKAH: I knew Elijah's plan was mad, but I really thought it would work.

KLAUS: So did I. I was sure Davina would survive. There was so much life in her.

REBEKAH: What about the power? Four were supposed to rise, and none did. Where did all that power go?

CEMETERY

(Sabine conducts a spell with a small doll. Three people in various locations rise from the dead, and walk until they meet one another.)

GENEVIEVE: Why are we here?

PAPA TUNDE: Someone brought us forth. Who?

SABINE: I did.

BASTIANNA: Sabine! What's the meaning of this?

SABINE: Bastiana, I've had to endure people calling me "Sabine" for almost a year now. I'd appreciate it if you'd call me by my real name-- Celeste.

END CREDITS