01x17 - Spirit in the Night

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

01x17 - Spirit in the Night

Post by bunniefuu »

[Outside School]

(Brooke and the girls are practicing their cheer)

BROOKE: Ready?

GIRLS: You can’t sh**t. You can’t score. You will b*at us nevermore. Go Ravens Go…

(Haley and Lucas are walking near them)

HALEY: Well I guess you should feel pretty lucky you get to hang out with me like this. Do you have any other wishes I can grant?

LUCAS: Yeah.

HALEY: What?

LUCAS: Why don’t you come to the tournament this weekend.

HALEY: Ugh. Alright. Yeah. You’re on.

LUCAS: Alright?

HALEY: Yeah.

LUCAS: Alright. Thank you, genie. (Nathan comes up behind her and Lucas leaves) Catch you later.

NATHAN: How’s it going?

HALEY: Well, in a startling new development, it looks like I’m going to be joining you at the classic.

NATHAN: You and me in the same hotel? This weekend just got interesting.

HALEY: Down boy. Plus it’s probably better if I don’t leave you with all those cheerleaders anyway. So how’d it go?

NATHAN: I got the apartment.

HALEY: Ah, that’s great.

NATHAN: I drained my savings, paid first and last month’s rent. It’s mine on Sunday.

HALEY: So cool! (They laugh and walk off)

[Cheer Practice]

(Brooke is looking at each girl in the line)

BROOKE: Okay. Theresa, terrible posture. Pinch that penny. Bevin, you need…a breath mint. Peyton. Nice form. And excellent betrayal of a best friend. (She keeps walking past each girl) Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You guys! This weekend is the Classic. It’s our biggest cheer competition. Aren’t you sick of Clair Young and Bear Creek Warriors taking home the trophy every year? Because I am. We need to get it together here and I’m not just talking about our routine. I’m talking hair, nails…underarms, Theresa.

BEVIN: Brooke, cheerleading is supposed to be fun.

BROOKE: Yeah? Well winning’s funner. And if you don’t like it you can go cheer for the wrestling team. Take five.

PEYTON: Okay, you know what? You hate me, I get it. Fine. Just don’t take it out on our squad.

BROOKE: Everything is not about you, Peyton. Did you ever think that maybe I’m being a psycho-hose-beast because I want us to do well this weekend? Those judges are not going to be as forgiving as I am.

PEYTON: Funny, I didn’t know you were forgiving at all. (She walks away and Mouth walks past Brooke)

BROOKE: Hey, Lips! Come here.

MOUTH: It’s Mouth.

BROOKE: I know. You’re going to be at the Classic this weekend, right?

MOUTH: Ravenshoops.com, never miss a game.

BROOKE: How’d you like to be my scout? Scope out the competition for me and I’ll pay you 20 bucks.

MOUTH: Spy on cheerleaders?

BROOKE: Mm Hm.

MOUTH: I’ll do it for free.

BROOKE: Really? Excellent. (Mouth leaves) Break’s over, girls.

GIRL: You said five minutes.

BROOKE: Yeah well cry me a river. Let’s go.

[Whitey’s Office]

(Lucas walks by his door)

WHITEY: Lucas! Come in here.

LUCAS: What’s up, Coach?

WHITEY: How’s that shoulder?

LUCAS: Therapy’s going kind of slow.

WHITEY: Well that’s too bad. We could use you this weekend.

LUCAS: Ah come on, man. The Greyhounds suck on D. We’ll get your 500th win easy, Coach. Just wish I could do my part.

WHITEY: Well, maybe you can. One of your teammates needs a little extra coaching.

LUCAS: Okay. Sure, I’ll help whoever. (Nathan comes in behind him)

NATHAN: You wanted to see me?

WHITEY: I did. With Lucas on the injured list, you’re going to see a lot more double teams. Now Lucas is damn good at creating space for open sh*ts. I want you two to work together.

NATHAN: There’s nothing he can teach me about my game or anything else.

WHITEY: He can teach you to listen when I tell you to do something. I’d start now if I were you. (The boys walk out)

[Karen’s Café]

(Deb is wiping down the counters)

KAREN: You know if those countertops get any cleaner we’re not going to need plates.

DEB: Sorry. But how terrible of a mother am I that my own son wants to divorce me.

KAREN: Deb, you’re not mommy dearest. Nathan’s hurt but he’ll forgive you. It’s just going to take some time. (Keith comes in)

DEB: Keith.

KEITH: Hey. Karen. I just wanted to get a cup of coffee to go. (He puts a dollar on the table and Karen looks at it)

DEB: Oh sure. We haven’t seen you in a while.

KEITH: Yeah, I’ve been pretty busy at work.

KAREN: Well that’s good.

KEITH: Yep. Okay thanks. See you, Deb. Karen.

KAREN: Keith. Why don’t you come by some night for dinner. Like we used to.

KEITH: How about tomorrow night?

KAREN: Okay.

KEITH: Okay. (He leaves. Deb looks at Karen)

KAREN: Baby steps. (A woman walks in)

WOMAN: Karen. Deb. So glad I found two booster moms in one place. Look, Judy Johnson backed out of the classic at the last minute and I need a fill in chaperone.

EB: Oh, I have a meeting with my attorney. I can’t cancel.

WOMAN: I heard about you and Dan. How awful. So…Karen? How was Italy? You know we really missed you at the silent auction. And the pancake breakfast, and the bake sale, and -

KAREN: Okay, when does the bus leave?

[Scott Body Shop]

KEITH: Hey, Matt. What are you doing?

MATT: Making room for the new equipment.

DAN: Hey, don’t let this guy get away with half days cause he’s related to the boss. (he is carrying a life size cardboard cut out of himself)

KEITH: Oh my God, I thought one of you was bad enough.

DAN: That jumpsuit looks good on you, Keith. How’s your day going?

KEITH: Well let’s see. You changed my sign, you make me wear this monkey suit, and you’re replacing all my equipment. What’s next? You going to start fixing bicycles too?

DAN: If it would turn a profit. Remember, Dan Scott is a name people trust.

KEITH: Yeah, maybe people don’t know him.

DAN: Listen, this equipment in this place is obsolete anyway, I feel like I’m stuck in 1982 in here.

KEITH: The machines work fine.

DAN: Not as good as the new ones. Now I told you I was going to help you with your shop. This is part of the agreement. You got to start thinking like a business man, bro.

KEITH: I think you do enough of that for the both of us. Bro.

[River Court]

(Nathan sh**t and misses and Lucas gets the rebound)

NATHAN: If Whitey wants you to feel like you’re part of the team, fine, I just, I don’t understand why I have to baby-sit you.

LUCAS: He just wants to make sure you’re going to be able to get open.

NATHAN: I don’t have a problem with getting open.

LUCAS: Well you will with me out of the line up. Okay? The Fade-away is a great sh*t for creating space. You want to work on it or what?

NATHAN: I don’t need to work on it.

LUCAS: Okay, show me. Come on. (He blocks Nathan as he sh**t and misses again) Try it again.

NATHAN: I’ll tell you what. I’ll hit your fade-away, when you can do this. (He dunks the ball right handed) Thought so.

LUCAS: Nathan, the point is you’re not going to be able to do that.

NATHAN: Excuse me?

LUCAS: You’re not going to be able to get to the rack like that. You’ll be double teamed.

NATHAN: You know what? I don’t need your coaching. (He starts to leave) Just watch me get to the rack this weekend.

[Outside School]

(The bus is there and Lucas and his mom are at the car getting their bags)

KAREN: Well I just don’t want you to think I’m trailing you like some paranoid mother.

LUCAS: But you are.

KAREN: Ohh.

LUCAS: It’s cool. (Brooke walks past them)

KAREN: Silent treatment.

LUCAS: Like a mime.

(Peyton and her dad are getting out of their car)

PEYTON: Okay with the way you drive this thing we could have gotten there in 45 minutes and not had to deal with this whole bus mess.

LARRY: Yeah but I’ve got to embarrass you as much as possible in front of your friends. Make up for lost time. Which one are you dating again?

PEYTON: Try no one. (Peyton keeps walking and Larry stops to talk to Whitey)

WHITEY: Larry Sawyer meet Karen Roe.

KAREN: Hi.

WHITEY: You two are my chaperones. A lot of these kids think that the Classics is an excuse to party all weekend. It’s your job to see that that doesn’t happen. (He walks off)

KAREN: Oh we don’t have a prayer. I used to be one of these kids.

LARRY: You? I’ve got a beer bong in my over night bag.

[At the bus]

(Whitey throws a pom-pom down and is yelling at Brooke)

WHITEY: I don’t care how important this tournament is, people Tr*mp pom-poms. We can’t fit all that crap on the bus.

BROOKE: Fine! You be responsible for ten very pissed off cheerleaders.

NATHAN: Coach, if we’re short on room I can drive.

WHITEY: No, no, no, forget it.

NATHAN: Why not? I can fit all that crap in my trunk.

WHITEY: Alright. But you stay right behind the bus.

BROOKE: Thanks.

NATHAN: Sweet. Come on, Hales.

HALEY: Oh, uh, Lucas is saving me a seat.

NATHAN: What are you in third grade? Come on, we’ll ride in style. (He walks away and Haley stops by Lucas’ window)

HALEY: Hey, um, I’m going to ride with Nathan. Is that cool?

LUCAS: Yeah, no problem. (He looks a little upset as she walks away)

[Hotel]

(Everyone is in the hall getting their rooms)

WHITEY: Listen up. We’ve got a team meeting in the conference room right after dinner. Lights out at nine o’clock. (He hands Lucas a paper) Consider your room assignments final. (Lucas and Nathan are left looking into the same room)

LUCAS: You’ve got to be kidding me.

WHITEY: (Laughs) Alphabetical order. Scott. Scott. Unalterable.

NATHAN: You should have changed your name.

[Hotel Room]

(Lucas is sitting on the bed exercising his shoulder and listening to music. Nathan turns on the TV and shuts off the music)

LUCAS: I was listening to that.

NATHAN: Not anymore. Watching TV. (Lucas stands up and turns off the TV)

LUCAS: Not anymore.

[Brooke and Peyton’s room]

PEYTON: So which bed do you want? The window or the door?

BROOKE: Whatever.

PEYTON: Brooke can we just make the best of this?

BROOKE: Fine. But I’m not doing it for you, I’m doing it for the squad. Call it a cheer truce. (Peyton throws her stuff on the bed and opens the connecting door just as Jake opens the other one. They all look at each other)

JAKE: Bam Chica Da Na (Peyton laughs) So you ladies order room service? (Brooke rolls her eyes and falls onto the bed. Peyton laughs and pushes them back into Jake’s room, closing the door behind her)

PEYTON: God. Good to have an escape route incase she tries to smoother me with her pillow. How you doing?

JAKE: Jenny withdrawal.

PEYTON: Yeah. No but you need a weekend away, just to relax and have a good time. Doesn’t happen too often.

JAKE: That’s true, but, there’s been some new developments.

EYTON: Oh really? What are they? (Brooke knocks on the door)

BROOKE: Peyton, it’s an emergency, get in here.

PEYTON: Ugh. Sorry. Cheer n*zi calls. See ya. (They slap hands on her way out)

JAKE: Right.

[Brooke and Peyton’s room]

(The squad is already there)

BROOKE: Guess who’s in the lobby, I’ll tell you. Claire Young and her little hoe posy. We are going down there.

PEYTON: Okay. And if an angry dance-off breaks out I got your back.

BROOKE: Great. Just don’t stick another Kn*fe in it. (She tosses a stick of deodorant at Theresa) Theresa, I want you to hit those pits and cover that zit. Points off for complexion. Let’s go. (They walk out and Theresa examines her zit on her head)

[Hotel Lobby]

(The girls approach Claire and her squad)

BROOKE: Hi, Claire. We just wanted to wish you good luck this weekend.

CLAIRE: Um, we’ve won four years in a row.

GIRL: Including Claire for best choreography.

CLAIRE: Yeah so maybe you should keep your luck for yourself. By the way. Who are you again?

BROOKE: You know who I am. Brooke Davis. Captain of the Tree Hill Ravens. We roomed together last summer at spirit camp.

CLAIRE: Right, right. Don’t the Ravens lose every year? See ya. (They leave)

BROOKE: Oh it is so on.

[Hotel Hall]

(Haley is walking alone and Nathan pulls her into the room and kisses her)

HALEY: You scared me.

NATHAN: Well we’re not allowed to have girls in the room so I had to keep it covert. Hang out for a little bit.

HALEY: Oh I can’t. I’ve got to meet Lucas for pizza in the lobby. I think I’m already late.

NATHAN: So be later. We’ve got a whole hotel room to ourselves. (They kiss again but Lucas walks in on them)

LUCAS: Sorry, I thought we had plans.

HALEY: We do.

LUCAS: Naw just do your thing. (he walks out)

HALEY: I’m sorry. Lucas. (She walks out after him) Luke. Will you just wait -

LUCAS: Haley. It’s cool. Okay? Go be with your boyfriend. (He walks off and Haley goes back inside)

[Karen’s Room]

(She is on the phone)

KEITH: Hello?

KAREN: Hey, Keith, it’s me.

KEITH: (In his room at home) Oh hey, Karen.

KAREN: Look one of the booster moms trapped me into chaperoning the Classics, so now I’m in Charlotte. Um, can I get a rain check on dinner?

KEITH: (He is wearing a new shirt with the tags still on it) Oh, sure. We’re pretty backed up at the shop so I was going to have to cancel anyway.

KAREN: Okay, well, I’ll see you when I get back.

KEITH: Hope so.

KAREN: Bye.

KEITH: Bye, bye. (he hangs up and tosses the phone on to the dresser and pulls off the shirt)

[Hotel Lobby]

(Brooke and Peyton are walking)

BROOKE: I cannot believe the nerve of that little third rate Britney trying to pretend like she doesn’t recognize me.

PEYTON: Are you still obsessing over this? You made out with her boyfriend at camp.

BROOKE: I didn’t know they were dating, unlike some people. And besides he was a yell leader, he was gay anyway.

TIM: Hey, ladies. We’re sneaking out after curfew, spread the word okay? (Brooke grabs his ear)

BROOKE: Tim, stay away from my squad we need to be fresh for tomorrow.

TIM: Okay. (he walks away and Brooke goes up to Theresa who is surrounded by the squad)

BROOKE: Theresa I thought I told you to lay off the chocolate. (Theresa’s face is covered in “zits”) It’s a really good thing I have an acne medicine.

PEYTON: Brooke this isn’t acne.

THERESA: It’s chicken pox. Karen called my parents. I’m out. Thank God. (She walks away)

BROOKE: Okay could this get any worse?

PEYTON: Brooke, it’s okay. We’ll rework the routine.

BROOKE: It’s perfectly crafted for ten girls.

PEYTON: Okay so we’ll find a replacement.

BROOKE: Great idea, genius. Who are we going to ask?

[Hotel Room]

HALEY: No way!

PEYTON: Haley, come on. Do you remember when I made you those flyers for open mic night?

HALEY: That is weak, you’re a born artist. I’m a born klutz, okay? I almost drowned in the balls at chucky cheese.

PEYTON: Okay but if we don’t find a replacement we’re going to have to forfeit.

HALEY: Don’t you guys, like, lose every year since grade school anyway? What’s the big deal?

PEYTON: It’s important to Brooke. Do you know how terrible it is to be disconnected from your best friend? (Haley looks like she understands that) Look I really hurt Brooke. And I just don’t want her to be disappointed again.
[Scott Body Shop]

DAN: Hey, Matt, how’s it going?

MATT: Good, we’re just about to close up. We’ll finish the rest tomorrow.

DAN: Not tomorrow. Tonight. We’ve got a whole new slate tomorrow. What’s taking so long?

MATT: We’re just getting up to speed on the new equipment. (They look at Keith who is on the computer and looking at a manual)

DAN: Uh huh. I’m sure you are. Thanks. (He walks over to Keith) Hey, Keith, how’s it going?

KEITH: Great. Just finished my taxes and I’m about to download some tunes.

DAN: You know the junior college offers manufacturers training. Might help you learn the system.

KEITH: It’s not about the system, Dan, it’s about the mechanic. A car is still a car.

DAN: Anyone who drop out who takes high school shop knows more about these machines than you do. You should really think about enrolling.

KEITH: You should really think about stepping three feet back.

DAN: If you had gone to college in the first place, you might not have to get your hands dirty at all.

[Hotel Hall]

(Karen and Larry are walking around doing room checks)

KAREN: Well I think that’s everybody.

LARRY: Yeah.

KAREN: 8:59, that’s not bad.

LARRY: Yeah, except for that Tim kid peeing in the ice machine, this was easy.

KAREN: Too easy. Think we should check again at ten?

LARRY: You want to grab a cup of coffee in about a half hour? Sounds like it’s going to be a late night.

KAREN: Yeah. I’ll meet you downstairs.

LARRY: Alright. (They go separate ways and as soon as they are gone all the kids stick their heads out of their rooms and sneak down the hall)

[Brooke’s Room]

(She is eating ice cream out of the pint while sitting in bed. Someone knocks on the door)

BROOKE: Just leave the cake and go. (Karen walks in)

KAREN: Well we’re safe. All the other girls have had chicken pox.

BROOKE: Theresa always was a b*at behind. (Karen sits on the other bed)

KAREN: How you doing?

BROOKE: Pretty crappy. I put all my energy into this competition and it made me feel really good for a few days. Took my mind off everything, but now I’m just back to square one.

KAREN: You know, we haven’t had a chance to talk since you and Lucas broke up. I’m really sorry.

BROOKE: His loss, right?

KAREN: He probably knows that. And I know it doesn’t seem like it, but I bet you and Peyton will get through this too. And now, from a former Ravens cheer captain to another, I think you have taken these girls too far to give up.

BROOKE: Our routine is for ten girls, Karen. Without Theresa we’re only nine, so unless I can pull a cheerleader out of my @#%$ - (Peyton and Haley walk in)

PEYTON: Hey. Haley said she’d fill in for Theresa.

HALEY: I make no apologies for my lack of coordination, it’s genetic.

BROOKE: It’s impossible.

PEYTON: Brooke, you’re a captain. We can still do it. You just need to get off your @#%$ and stop pouting.

BROOKE: We’d have to practice all night. (She looks at Karen) And it’s past curfew.

KAREN: If anyone asks, I was never here. (She leaves)

BROOKE: Okay. Okay. I’m going to get the rest of the girls. We’re going to need coffee, black, sleep is our enemy. (She points at Haley) And we’re going to need to do something about that hair. (She walks out. Peyton laughs and grabs Haley’s head)

PEYTON: Let’s go.

[Hotel Lobby]

(Everyone is walking out)

JAKE: So I thought you were hanging out with Haley.

LUCAS: Yeah, me too. She’s probably hanging with Nathan. (Nathan walks up behind them)

NATHAN: Tim.

JAKE: Or not.

NATHAN: We’re good. Whitey’s in for the night.

TIM: So you ladies finally escaped psycho Brooke, huh? (Brooke walks up behind him)

BROOKE: Psycho Brooke told you to leave her squad alone. (She pushes him out of the way) Raven’s we’re back on.

TIM: Come on, Brooke. (the girls walk back inside)

JAKE: Sad state of affairs when our own cheerleaders ditch us.

TIM: Not really. I know this club. They’re a little loose on checking ID’s. That’s not the only thing that’s loose.

NATHAN: Tim, just say it’s a strip club.

JAKE: How are we going to get in?

TIM: Everybody chips in ten bucks and I grease the bouncer.

NATHAN: And after that you can bribe him.

[Cheer Practice]

BROOKE: 5...6...7...8. (They start doing the moves and Haley is struggling to get it) No, no, no. Tutor girl. It’s feet together, apart, then clap.

HALEY: Okay, I’m really trying.

BROOKE: Try harder cause we’re on in 12 hours. (Claire and her girls walk up behind them)

CLAIRE: Aw, cute routine girls. Too bad those moves are so ‘03. Where’d you find your choreographer anyway? In the yellow pages? Under ‘S’ for Sucks?

BROOKE: No actually that’s where I found your boyfriend.

CLAIRE: Oh, you know if I were you, I’d get some beauty sleep. I think it’s the only thing that’s going to help.

PEYTON: (Getting between them) If I were you, I’d step back from my friend. (Brooke looks at her)

CLAIRE: Whatever. Oh and remember, ladies. Jazz fingers! (Brooke and Peyton roll their eyes as they walk away)

HALEY: I’ll give her a jazz finger. (Brooke and Peyton look surprised and laugh)

BROOKE: Well, she’s obviously scared cause their routine probably sucks. (Mouth comes on stage)

MOUTH: Actually it’s good. I’ve seen it.

BROOKE: How good?

MOUTH: Lots of spins. Some tumbles.

BROOKE: Okay, no, give me information I can use, Mouth. What are the moves exactly?

MOUTH: First they do this. (He starts imitating their routine exactly. He does all the moves and jumps and the girls watch him. Brooke looks nervous at how good the routine is. Peyton looks shocked that he can do the routine so well. Haley is trying hard not to laugh and covers her face)

BROOKE: That is good. Do you want to replace tutor girl?

MOUTH: No, thanks. Oh and by the way. Three other team are using Junior-Senior. (Brooks gets really nervous)

BROOKE: Okay. (Mouth starts to walk away and Haley stops him)

HALEY: Dude, what’s up! (They slap hands)

MOUTH: Thanks.

BROOKE: It’s time for plan B, we’re going to find Claire Young’s room and pull a Tonya Harding. We’re just going to hit her in the knee with a big stick.

PEYTON: Okay Brooke. You’re a better choreographer than Claire has ever been. Okay? We still have time to win it, just teach us some new moves.

BROOKE: Well what about our song?

PEYTON: You handle the moves. Let me take care of the song. (She walks away and slaps Brooke’s butt on her way past)

[Strip Club]

NATHAN: I got to hand it to you Tim, for once.

TIM: Mm hmm. (Luke sits at a table alone with Jake who is drinking something)

LUCAS: Vodka?

JAKE: Water. (The rest of the guys get a front row seat at the stage) Although the last couple of days I’ve been tempted.

LUCAS: Tough week?

JAKE: Yeah. Jenny’s mom popped up unannounced.

LUCAS: Wow. How’d that go?

JAKE: Oh, not good. But you now what, I don’t really want to talk about her. I don’t really get nights like this too often, so she’s not going to ruin it. What’s going on with you? Brooke? Peyton?

LUCAS: Nothing anymore.

JAKE: And then there’s Nathan and Haley.

LUCAS: Haley could be with anybody and I’d be happy for her. I mean even…(They look at Nathan and Tim and Tim is doing something like a monkey impression)…Tim. But Nathan.

JAKE: Luke, I mean Nathan is not my favorite guy but I don’t know, if Haley sees something in him, there’s probably something there. She’s got pretty good taste in people, right?

ANNOUNCER: Welcome to the Peppermint Zebra. (The crowd is all women cheering)

LUACS: Is something a little off about this crowd?

ANNOUNCER: It’s ladies night! (Male strippers come on stage and all the guys try to look away)

NATHAN: What? (A guy pulls off his pants in front of Tim)

TIM: Ohh.

JAKE: Wow.

LUCAS: Oh God.

[Cheer Practice]

(Peyton is burning a cd on her laptop as the girls practice)

BROOKE: 5...6...7...8...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8... 1 and 2...3...4...5...6...7...8. Okay. Bevin, I want you to go into a high kick. Tutor girl, I want you to do a diagonal.

HALEY: What’s a diagonal? (Mouth does one for her)

BROOKE: Thank you.

PEYTON: Alright, alright. Ripped and b*rned. It’s a remix. Trust me, nobody else is going to have this. (She hands Brooke the cd)

BROOKE: This better be good.

PEYTON: You’re welcome.

BROOKE: We get this right to the music, I’ll spring for escorts, guys. (She puts the cd in)

[Outside]

(The guys are walking back to the hotel and Nathan keeps going straight when the others turn)

LUCAS: Hey. Hotel’s this way.

NATHAN: Yeah I’m just gonna go check out the gym.

LUCAS: Hey you mind if I come?

NATHAN: Uh yeah. Whatever.

[Gym]

NATHAN: I’m gonna wipe this place up tomorrow. My dad’s not going to be here so I figured I’d go for season high just to piss him off.

LUCAS: Where is he this weekend, anyway?

NATHAN: The lawyers told him to skip a game. Show he’s not controlled by basketball. So he bought a satellite dish to bring in the live feed.

LUCAS: Man I wish I was out there. The way I feel like I'll be back.

NATHAN: There’s always other sports. You don’t need arms to suck at soccer. I busted my elbows once a couple of summers ago. I was playing again in like six weeks.

LUCAS: What’s the secret?

NATHAN: There is no secret. You just start sh**ting one day and deal with the pain. Somewhere along the line it will get easier.

LUCAS: So you been working on your fade-away?

NATHAN: Fade-away’s soft, man. Look if the game is on the line and the rock is in my hand, I’m going to the hole. Every time, that’s my game. (He walks away)

[The hotel pool]

(The squad and Mouth is sitting in the hot tub)

BEVIN: How’d you get him to open the hot tub?

BROOKE: I sweet talked the night manager. I figured you guys could use it after reworking our entire routine tonight. Feels good doesn’t it.

MOUTH: Yep. This is great. (Brooke laughs. Peyton walks in with Haley hiding behind her)

PEYTON: Ta Da. (She reveals Haley wearing the cheerleading uniform and she spins and the girls clap)

BROOKE: Tutor Girl you look bitchin’.

HALEY: Yeah I kind of do, don’t I?

BROOKE: Now get your suit. Hot tub therapy. Both of you. (She smiles at Peyton. Nathan comes in)

NATHAN: Haley? (Peyton leaves them alone)

HALEY: I’m kind of filling in for Theresa.

NATHAN: Works for me. I got a thing for cheerleaders.

HALEY: Oh yeah? (They kiss. Tim grabs Nathan and throws him into the pool with the rest of the team and squad following them. Haley and Peyton are left laughing on the side while everyone is jumping around in the water. Lucas comes up to Haley) They needed an extra. What do you think?

LUCAS: I think you look kind of ridiculous.

HALEY: You do realize that both your former girlfriends are cheerleaders. Oh right, excuse me. I guess I’m not allowed to have any fun.

LUCAS: That’s not it.

HALEY: Yeah, that is it. I’m having a good time, I’m happy. I’d think that my friends would be happy for me too.

TIM: Haley get in! (Haley walks away) Nathan stop it! (Nathan pulls him under. Whitey walks up behind Lucas and looks at all the kids in the pool who are looking back at him and Whitey looks very angry.)

[Hotel Lobby]

(Whitey is yelling at Karen and Larry)

WHITEY: How in the hell am I going to win a ball game with a bunch of hung over idiots? I don’t know why you got on the damn bus in the first place if you weren’t going to take this serious. You call yourselves chaperones. It’s pathetic. Ugh. (He leaves them and Larry and Karen start laughing)

[Nathan and Lucas’ Room]

(Nathan is sitting up in bed playing a game boy and Lucas is sleeping. The bell on the game wakes him up and he looks up at Nathan)

LUCAS: Dude, you got to be kidding me. It’s 4 A.M.

NATHAN: If I go to sleep now I’ll never wake up. I’ll be a total waste for the game tomorrow. (He shows him the game he’s playing) It’s classic basketball. I’d give you next but you’d probably hurt yourself again.

LUCAS: What is Whitey doing? Putting us together on the court and in this room.

NATHAN: He’s just bored. And evil.

LUCAS: You know, when I was younger I always wanted a little brother. Then I found out about you. Got over that in a hurry.

NATHAN: What have you been doing to Haley, man? You were kind of a d*ck to her tonight.

LUCAS: You know she used to be this totally original…Haley. Then you came along.

NATHAN: And as far as I can tell she’s still the same person she’s always been. The only difference is now she’s with me. So maybe the problem’s not with her. Maybe the problem’s with you. (Lucas turns back over to go to sleep)

[Cheer Competition]

ANNOUNCER: Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the Secret Sparkle Classic. First up, The Bear Creek Warriors. (The Warriors start their cheer)

CHEER: 1...2...3...4. Bear Creek, Warriors. Champions to b*at let’s hear it. Better than the Ravens. You’ll see. (All the Raven’s watch them with bad looks on their faces. The guys are in the stands watching too. Brooke looks nervous and angry as they finish and the crowd cheers)

ANNOUNCER: Four time champions Bear Creek Warriors. Led by captain Claire Young. (The Raven’s get up)

BROOKE: Okay. I want you guys to think about Theresa. Lying at home, itchy, and gross and covered in calamine lotion. The last thing she said to me was, “This Sucks”. And this will suck unless we win. (Peyton and Haley look at each other)

ANNOUNCER: Next up at this year’s Sparkle Classic by Secret, the Tree Hill Ravens.

BROOKE: (Everyone huddles and puts their hands in before going on) 5...6...7...8. RAVENS! (They all run out leaving Brooke and Peyton alone) Peyton. I just want to say thanks, for your help with Haley and the music.

PEYTON: It’s important to you. So it’s important to me too. Come on. (They go on to perform)

BROOKE: Let’s Go!

CHEER: The one, and only. Blue, black and white. The best of the best. That’s right. (The Kung Foo Fighting song remix comes on. Mouth is moving along with their moves in the audience. They finish and run off. Haley runs towards Nathan right past Lucas and jumps into his arms)

NATHAN: That’s great.

HALEY: Can you believe?

NATHAN: You did awesome.

HALEY: Thank you.

(The awards are being given out to the squads)

ANNOUNCER: And second place this year goes to the New Hanover Wild Cats. And first place in this years Sparkle Classic by Secret goes to…The Bear Creek Warriors. Five years in a row. Way to go.

BROOKE: (To Peyton) Can I borrow you car, hose, and your garage?

PEYTON: Brooke you did a great job. Okay? We all though so.

BROOKE: Not good enough.

ANNOUNCER: And our final award of the competition, for best original choreography, goes to…Brooke Davis. Captain and Choreographer of the Tree Hill Ravens.

PEYTON: That’s you! (Brooke hugs her and gets her trophy)

ANNOUNCER: Congratulations.

BROOKE: Thank you. (She gives Claire a smirk)

PEYTON: Yeah Brooke.

ANNOUNCER: And we want to thank all of this years cheering teams on behalf of Secret and their entire sparkle collection. Thanks for making this years Classics a success. And Cheer on.

[Haley’s Hotel Room]

(Lucas knocks on the door and she answers it but doesn’t look too excited about seeing him)

HALEY: Hey.

LUCAS: Hey. You were really amazing out there.

HALEY: Yeah? I thought maybe I looked ridiculous.

LUCAS: Look. So I was thinking. Things have been different since you started dating Nathan.

HALEY: I don’t spend anymore time with him than you did with Brooke.

LUCAS: I know. I know and he’s…your boyfriend. Of course you’ll want to be with him. It’s just, I guess I miss my friend.

HALEY: Luke. I miss you too. But have you thought about how hard this is on my juggling the two of you guys? Luke, you’re really important to me. I care about you. But Nathan is important to me too. And if you want to be a part of my life, eventually, sooner or later, you’re gonna have to be a part of his too.

LUCAS: You’re right. (She holds out her hands and he slaps them) Alright well the game starts in a minute. Want to sit together?

HALEY: Hell Yes!

LUCAS: Alright. (She touches his shoulder as they stand up and he grabs it)

HALEY: Oh I’m sorry! I am sorry.

LUCAS: It’s okay.

[The Game]

MOUTH: Fifteen seconds to go, the Tree Hill Ravens are down by one and could be on the brink of their first loss this season.

WHITEY: Tim, you’re in bound to Nathan up top. We’re going spread offense. Nathan you find your open sh*t. If you can’t we’ll go with Jake. At least he’s not hung over.

TIM: Let’s go fellas, come on. Raven’s on three. 1...2...3...Ravens!

MOUTH: Get out the Tupperware folks. If the Raven’s don’t score we’ll have to save Coach Durham’s 500th win cake for another night.

HALEY: Go Nathan!

MOUTH: Fifteen seconds left and the Ravens need a basket to win it. The inbound to Nathan Scott and he is immediately double teamed. He’s gonna have to give it up. He does. Finds Tim Smith. Tim with the ball. The time is running down. Back to Nathan. Eight seconds now. Now seven. Nathan dribbles and tries to drive but he can’t get through the double team.

LUCAS: Come on. Come on.

MOUTH: He’s gonna have to do something. Three seconds. Now two. Nathan spins up top and puts up the fade-away. It’s Good! (The buzzer sounds and everyone cheers) Unbelievable! In a season of impossible finishes, Nathan Scott nailed the fade-away jumper. The Ravens reign undefeated and Coach Durham’s won 500 games.

HALEY: Hey. Were you rooting for Nathan?

LUCAS: I was rooting for the team.

HALEY: Whatever you say. (Nathan points at Lucas in the stands and they kind of smile at each other. Everyone starts hugging Whitey)

[Scott Body Shop]

(All the workers are playing basketball outside the shop. Keith makes a basket and Dan comes out and grabs the ball)

DAN: I make this sh*t, you get your asses back to work. (he sh**t and makes it) Let’s go. (To Matt) Hey. I expect this from Keith but you’re supposed to be me when I’m not here. Get back to work.

KEITH: Why don’t you just lighten up, Dan? We were taking a break.

DAN: Well break’s over, Axel Rose. You never had a strong work ethic. If you did, it would still be your name up on that sign.

KEITH: You know what? I’m done.

DAN: We close shop at six.

KEITH: No, I’m taking Nathan’s lead and I’m getting the hell away from you.

DAN: What is the matter with you? I do everything I can to help you keep your business and all you do is give me attitude.

KEITH: And all you do is lorded over me. Well thanks for the help, Dan. But I don’t want it anymore. You can take the shop. I quit. (he throws the basketball at the cut out of Dan and knocks it over)

[At School]

(The kids are unloading the bus. The cheerleaders are around Mouth)

BEVIN: Thank you so much

. MOUTH: Alright. (one of the girls kisses his cheek) Hey. Wow.

BROOKE: Hey Mouth. (She holds up the trophy) Part of this belongs to you, you know.

MOUTH: Well we could share it. Trade off weeks?

BROOKE: Uh, let me think about it…No. (they laugh)

MOUTH: Bye.

BROOKE: Bye. (Haley runs up to her)

HALEY: Brooke. Hey. You’re uniform. (She hands her back the uniform) It didn’t fit all that well anyways, so.

BROOKE: You really saved us this weekend. Thanks, Haley. (she walks away leaving Haley looking confused)

HALEY: Did she just call me Haley? (Lucas is closing his trunk and Nathan comes up to him)

NATHAN: You know I would have hit that sh*t with or without you.

LUCAS: Not if I was guarding you.

NATHAN: Get your @#%$ back and we’ll see.

LUCAS: Alright. (Haley stands next to Nathan)

HALEY: Hey guys. This is a first. (Some guy behind Lucas calls out to Haley)

GUY: Haley! Hey what’s up?

HALEY: Hey.

NATHAN: Who’s that?

HALEY: I have no idea.

LUCAS: Well I guess that’s a first too. Alright I’ll see you guys later.

HALEY: Okay. (she hugs him) Bye.

LUCAS: Bye. (He nods at Nathan and leaves)

HALEY: Hear that? He said you guys.

NATHAN: Easy, match maker. So I’m headed back to the apartment. You sure you don’t want to get that cheerleading uniform back?

HALEY: Shut up!

(Karen and Larry are putting things into her trunk and Lucas stands next to Peyton watching them)

PEYTON: Okay. Is my dad flirting with your mom? Could he be any more obvious? (Karen and Larry are laughing together) This is too weird.

LUCAS: Yeah, weird. (Brooke sees them standing together and looks upset. Peyton notices and walks over to her)

PEYTON: Think Claire Young is still in shock?

BROOKE: Look, Peyton, it was really fun to get caught up in the weekend and forget about all the crap between us.

PEYTON: Yeah, it was.

BROOKE: But it doesn’t change what you did. Okay? We’re not friends anymore, we’re just on the same squad.

PEYTON: Brooke, you might not be my friend, but I’m still yours. And I’m going to prove it to you. I’ll see ya.

(Everyone is walking away with their parents and Nathan is looking around for his. He looks disappointed and gets into his car with Haley next to him)

[Karen’s Café]

(Larry and Karen are drinking coffee together and Keith comes in)

KAREN: Oh hey.

KEITH: Hey.

KAREN: I’m sorry that I missed our dinner.

LARRY: Oh you must be Keith.

KEITH: Hi. (they shake hands)

KAREN: This is Larry Sawyer. He’s Peyton’s dad. We chaperoned together this weekend.

LARRY: More like Whitey chaperoned us. She’s trouble if you keep her up after midnight. (They are laughing and Keith looks uncomfortable)

KAREN: So how was your weekend? We miss anything in Tree Hill?

KEITH: Not really.

KAREN: You want some coffee?

KEITH: You know I, just remembered I have to, uh, pick up an oil filter so, it was nice to meet you Larry. See ya. (Karen watches him leave)

[Outside School]

(Whitey is looking at the sign that says “Congrats Coach Durham on your 500th Win!” He smiles and walks away)

[Scott Body Shop]

(Keith is putting his keys into the box and has a box full of stuff then leaves)

[Brooke’s Room]

(She is standing in front of her dresser with her trophy in front of her. She takes down a picture of Lucas, her and Peyton and rips Lucas out of it, then rips off Peyton. She starts to cry)

[River Court]

(Lucas sh**t a basket and makes it but grabs his shoulder)

LUCAS: That’s one.

[Nathan’s Apartment]

(He turns on the light and stands there looking around at the empty room)