02x02 - Truth Doesn't Make a Noise

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x02 - Truth Doesn't Make a Noise

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

(We see Nathan and Haley on the beach as they are getting married. Nathan is putting a

ring on Haley’s finger.)

LUCAS: (v.o) What’re you talking about Haley?

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - DAY]

(Haley holds up her left hand, showing her wedding ring clearly. Nathan puts his arm

around her.)

HALEY: We got married last night.

CUT TO:

[INT. LUCAS’ HOUSE - MORNING]

(Lucas looking sad.)

LUCAS: Mom…I want to leave Tree Hill.

CUT TO:

[EXT. PEYTON’S HOUSE - DOORSTEP - DAY]

(Peyton is looking at a letter that Lucas left taped to the front door before he left for

Charleston.)

BROOKE: (v.o) This is from Lucas.

PEYTON: (v.o) I’m sorry.

(The sh*t shows Brooke and Peyton’s name clearly written on the front.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. BROOKE’S BOAT - DAY]

PEYTON: I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have hid it from you.

BROOKE: You’ve had the words the whole time and didn’t tell me?

PEYTON: I was going to.

BROOKE: When?! After you read it first?!

PEYTON: NO!

CUT TO:

[INT. BEACH HOUSE - DAY]

(Dan grabs at his chest and falls to the floor.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. CHARLESTON - BEACH - DUSK]

(Keith is looking out at the sea on a now deserted beach. Lucas walks up to him.)

KEITH: It’s Dan. He had a heart att*ck.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - CHAPEL - DAY]

DEB: Your father is unconscious Nathan and now you’re telling me you got married?

HALEY: Mrs Scott we’ve thought about-

DEB: Shut up Haley. Shut your selfish little mouth!

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL BEACH - EVENING]

(Brooke and Peyton are chasing each other playfully, on the beach, around their bonfire.

Lucas is there; Brooke and Peyton see him and stop dead, not knowing what to say to him.)

FADE OUT:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. RIVERCOURT - DAY]

(We have a Birdseye view of Lucas lying, on his back, on the ground of the Rivercourt,

listening to his IPod. The camera turns and slowly rises.)

LUCAS: (v.o) T.H. White said; perhaps we all give the best of our hearts uncritically…to

those who hardly think about us in return.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - DAN’S ROOM - DAY]

(Dan is sitting up in a chair, looking out of the window as Deb converses with a doctor

just outside the room. He looks quite content.)

DOCTOR: The Phoenix Effect isn’t uncommon in cardiac patients. They grow…remorseful…introspective,

sometimes even joyous.

DEB: Really? Is it…permanent?

DOCTOR: Hm, time will tell. (v.o) The important thing is to keep him calm. Don’t upset him.

(Dan stands slowly and looks at Deb. He smiles at her quite uncharacteristically. Deb

smiles back at him; it’s slightly strained.)

FADE IN:

[EXT. RIVERCOURT - DAY]

(Lucas is still lying on the ground as a shadow crosses over him and cuts off his sunlight.

Lucas squints and opens his eyes.)

NATHAN: Three questions. You ready?

LUCAS: (Sees Nathan upside down. He takes out one earphone.) Was that your first one?

NATHAN: Number one; what happened to your hair?

LUCAS: (Laughs and sits up, straining, and turns to Nathan.) I left it in Charleston. You

and Haley still married?

NATHAN: (Squinting.) Yeah, she hasn’t thrown me out yet. Number two; why’d you come back?

LUCAS: (shrugs) It was the right thing to do. Which actually brings me to my number two;

how’s your…(can’t say father as it’s his father too.)…how’s Dan doing?

NATHAN: Oh, he’s alright. He’s still alive, probably freaking out about me and Haley; like

my mom.

LUCAS: Hm.

NATHAN: Alright, last question; you regret all that ‘you’re my brother’ stuff, now that you’re back?

LUCAS: (shaking his head contradicting.) Absolutely. You?

NATHAN: Definitely.

LUCAS: (laughs, standing up.) So I can totally see your family tripping out. I mean I freaked out

and I’m not even related to Haley.

NATHAN: Actually, (Pats him on the back.) You are now.

CUT TO:

[INT. PEYTON’S HOUSE - PEYTON’S BEDROOM - DAY]

BROOKE: (v.o) She’s gotta be pregnant.

(Brooke is on Peyton’s computer as Peyton goes through her CD’s.)

PEYTON: Or in love.

BROOKE: I’m going with pregnant. Please, he’s a Scott boy, just look at one and snap your…never mind,

um…what’s new in your musical world right now?

PEYTON: I dunno. The new Keane’s pretty good or Modest Mouse, Pilot to Gunners.

BROOKE: Keane…(Types it into a box on the computer.)…Mighty Mouse…(she types that in too.)

PEYTON: It’s Modest. Why are you typing those?

BROOKE: I’m putting them on your turn-ons. I’m adding you to Lust Factor dot com.

PEYTON: Brooke! (Grabs the mouse.)

BROOKE: Oops! Too late. (Turns to Peyton.) We can check your scores in a couple of hours.

PEYTON: I told you; I am not about chasing guys right now.

BROOKE: Doesn’t mean I can’t chase them for you and missy, if you’re not about chasing guys…why are

there half a dozen e-mails to Jake Jagielski in your sent mail folder?

PEYTON: He hasn’t answered any of them and I swear I am changing all of my passwords.

BROOKE: Um-hum.

PEYTON: OK, I don’t know, alright? But ever since he-who-can’t-be-named, I just feel like I need to shake

things up and not guys, ok, like…life, important stuff.

BROOKE: Guys are important. And speaking of the nameless one; he’s waiting so we should get going. (Stands

and walks off-screen.)

PEYTON: What do you think he wants?

BROOKE: If he’s smart…forgiveness.

FADE IN:

[INT. EMPTY HALL - DAY]

(Lucas is standing in and empty hall, studying it as Brooke and Peyton walk up into it.)

LUCAS: What do you think? (Brooke and Peyton don’t know what he’s talking about.) I was thinking; bar (points

to the far part of the hall.) right over there, then some lights…(points above the stage.)…DJ, right over

here…and then, uh, (Walks up to the pair.) the three of us trying to be friends…right about, um, well, there.

(Looks at where they’re standing.)

BROOKE: OK, totally confused (Points to herself and Peyton.) over…here.

LUCAS: I wanna throw a party for Nathan and Haley OK? You know, everyone’s been so…weirded out

about them getting married and nobody’s stepping up and just saying ‘hey, it’s cool! Let’s

celebrate.’ We’re their friends…we should do this for them. And since nobody (Points at Brooke.)

plans a party better than you and nobody rocks a party better than you (Looks at Peyton. She rolls

her eyes.)…I was hoping the three of us could work it out.

BROOKE: The party part or the friends part?

LUCAS: All of it.

(Brooke considers.)

LUCAS: Look, I guess you found the letter.

PEYTON: (Fake coughs rather badly.) I should get something to drink.

BROOKE: Uh-huh.

LUCAS: Look! I meant what I said. OK, an-and now that I’m back, it’s a little embarrassing so how about

we just-

BROOKE: (Glad for the escape hatch.) Don’t mention it!

PEYTON: Great.

LUCAS: (relieved) So what do you say huh? You in?

BROOKE: (shrugging) Any excuse for a party.

PEYTON: For Nathan and Haley, why not.

LUCAS: Great(!) We’ll do it together. Come on! Check it out!

BROOKE: Fake cough? (Peyton nods.) That’s the best you could come up with?

PEYTON: I know, I had nothing. (They laugh.)

FADE IN:

[EXT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - EST sh*t - DAY]

CUT TO:

(Dan is sitting up in bed.)

DAN: Have you ever seen the sky so blue?

DEB: (At the window.) It’s a-a nice day.

DAN: They’re all nice.

DEB: (unsure) Dan, (pause) we should talk about Keith.

DAN: I don’t blame you Deb. Lord knows I’ve given you enough reasons to stray.

DEB: Um…

DAN: I think I’ll get some rest now.

DEB: (breathes deeply.) OK.

DAN: How about you bring the divorce papers by? I should sign them. You never know what could happen to me.

DEB: Nothing is going to happen to you Dan.

DAN: It already has. (Deb looks at him uncertainly but he smiles some more.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL - DAY]

(sh*t of Lucas’ cell phone. It shows a message from Haley saying; ‘PRTY = GR8 IDEA!’. Lucas sends a reply;

‘XLNT!’. Haley comes up to him holding exactly the same phone.)

HALEY: Excellent right back at you BIL.

LUCAS: (laughs) OK, I’ve been gone for, what; few days and you already forgotten my name? Who’s Bill?

HALEY: (Links arms with him.) B-I-L; Brother In Law. That’s you! (She pats his arm.)

LUCAS: (understanding.) Oh-ho, crap. I’m related to you?

HALEY: Hahaha. (laughs)

LUCAS: Look, I know…I was sketchy when I left but…just, you know, you surprised me and…I just want you

to know I’m happy for you Halez.

HALEY: I know. And Nathan told me about you calling and asking about Dan and us and…it’s cool. Thank you.

(Lucas puts his arm around Haley and hugs her. Nathan comes up and pulls her to himself. She hugs him.)

NATHAN: Hey(!) Get your own wife.

LUCAS: (Laughing) OK, that just sounds weird.

(Haley and Nathan laugh.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL - PARKING LOT - DAY]

(Peyton is looking in her trunk. Brooke drops her books and gets her phone out.)

BROOKE: Oh, crap. Um, can you grab that for me real quick?

(Peyton bends over to pick up the book and Brooke takes a picture of her backside. Peyton straightens and hands

the book over.)

BROOKE: Thanks. (Sees Lucas, Haley and Nathan approaching.) Oh look, it’s our very own Britney Spears

and…whoever she married this week. I have a question for you guys; what do you think? Pink booties or blue?

HALEY: Booties? Brooke, I’m not pregnant.

BROOKE: No. The only way this isn’t totally screwed up is if you’re knocked up but don’t worry, your secret’s

safe with me.

(Tim shoves Brooke aside as he walks up and sits on the hood of a car.)

TIM: What’s this lame-ass joke about you guys getting married?

PEYTON: He’s in shock now that you’re officially off the market.

BROOKE: It’s true Tim, Haley’s preggers.

HALEY: Brooke!

TIM: Right; and Lucas moved away. (Lucas looks at him.) You guys gotta do better if you gonna get one over on

the Tim. (Peyton and Brooke shove him away.)

HALEY: The Tim (laughs).

FADE IN:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE - DOORSTEP - DAY]

(Haley knocks on Deb’s front door, holding a plant pot. She turns as she hears Deb’s car pulling into the drive.

Deb is behind the wheel, wearing sunglasses. She gets out of the car.)

HALEY: Hi. This is for Mr Scott; Dan. (Laughs) I don’t know what to call him.

DEB: You can take it to him yourself.

HALEY: Nathan said that probably wasn’t a good idea.

DEB: And coming over here was? (Haley looks down realising that Deb really doesn’t like her anymore.)

HALEY: Mrs Scott, I’m not sorry I married Nathan but I am sorry about how we ambushed you with it. I know

you’re dealing with a lot right now. (Deb stops and turns slightly.) Anyway, Lucas is throwing us a party

and we’d…(amends)…I’d love it if you could come.

DEB: (Hostile) Nathan’s father nearly dies and you want to have a party? And even if Dan were fine, I would not

and will not give you my blessing for destroying my sons life or, and you can trust me on this, your own.

(Deb walks into the house, closing the door in Haley’s face. Haley has tears in her eyes.)

FADE OUT:

COMMERCIAL SET:

[INT. PEYTON’S HOUSE - PEYTON’S BEDROOM - DAY]

(Peyton is in her room. Brooke walks in and slaps her on the hip.)

BROOKE: Hey hoe.

PEYTON: (Looking at a CD.) Brooke, step away from the computer.

BROOKE: Soon as I check your ‘Lust Factor’ score, this morning you were up to a 7.6.

PEYTON: (Not impressed.) Out of a 10?

BROOKE: Um-hum! (Looks at the computer and brings up the picture of Peyton’s behind.)

PEYTON: Brooke you did not post my ass on the internet!

BROOKE: Of course I did! And well, well, well, it raised Miss P’s overall by five tenths on a point and you now

have fifty-three guys waiting to meet you.

PEYTON: I can’t believe this.

BROOKE: (Looking through the guys pictures on the computer.) Too old. Oh, too hairy.

Too…mine(!) (Peyton gives her a ‘you’re impossible’ look.) Oh too female, but a 9.8,

that’s interesting. (Peyton looks away annoyed.) Here we go; here’s an emo looking,

sappy, guitar playing loser. He’s perfect for you.

PEYTON: Not interested and I’ve gotta burn Nathan and Haley’s CD so get up.

(Brooke protests.) Move it!

BROOKE: (Gives in.) Fine! (Sits on Peyton’s bed.) So, what do you think our, ah,

new pal Lucas wrote in that letter anyway?

PEYTON: (Doesn’t want to talk about it.) Didn’t matter when he was gone, why should it matter

now? (Puts a CD into the CD drive, on it is written ‘NATHAN AND HALEY = NALEY FOREVER’.)

FADE IN:

[EXT. RIVERCOURT - DAY]

(Birdseye view of a basketball going into the basket and Skills walking under it to catch it.

Lucas walks up in flip-flops.)

SKILLS: (happily) You can shave your head dawg, but you still aint as pretty as me.

LUCAS: (smiles) How you doing Skills? (Hugs him.)

SKILLS: Question is how you doing man.

LUCAS: I’m good! I’m good.

(They sit on a bench.)

SKILLS: Alright, here it is. How bout you tell me da truth in da next five seconds and I forget you jus lied to me.

LUCAS: (pause) I woke up in Charleston and realised; nobody knows me here, nobody knows about Dan,

my mom, all the things I regret. It’s all been erased. You know, it’s gone. (pause) And it felt good.

Knowing that whoever I decided to be from that day forward was the person that they’d see.

(Shrugs one shoulder.) Then the phone rang.

SKILLS: Well hey, what could I do to make it easier for you? My bald head brother.

LUCAS: (laughs) Actually, see if you can get the guys to help me out a little later.

SKILLS: OK, time and place.

LUCAS: Beautiful, thanks Skills. (Knocks fists with Skills before he picks up his bag.)

SKILLS: No doubt. (Lucas walks away.) Hey yo Luke! (Lucas turns.) You gotta let it flow baby. You know,

like me.

LUCAS: Yeah, I know, I know, I know. (Feels his almost non-existent hair.) As you can see, I’m trying. Haha.

SKILLS: Aight. No doubt.

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE - KITCHEN - DAY]

(Deb is pouring herself some coffee when Nathan walks into the kitchen off-screen.)

DEB: Hey, Nathan. It’s good to see you.

NATHAN: (Does not look pleased.) Haley told me what you said to her.

DEB: Nate!

NATHAN: We’re married now mom, and you and dad can flip out all you want but it’s done!

Nobody cares what you think!

DEB: I only want what’s best for you Nathan.

NATHAN: Then how about you and dad back off…and shut up about Haley and me.

DEB: Your father doesn’t even know!

NATHAN: You haven’t told him?

DEB: No. You’re such an adult, why don’t you tell him? (Nathan looks uncertain.) The news will probably

k*ll him and believe me, the guilt from that will stay with you a lot longer than Haley ever will.

NATHAN: (sarcastically) Thanks for the love mom.

(Deb sighs and looks on.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES’ RESIDENCE - HALEY’S OLD ROOM - DAY]

(Haley is sitting on her old bed in her deserted room holding her teddy bear; Mr Waffles.

She looks lost as she cries.)

LYDIA JAMES: (v.o) All these empty bedrooms.

(Lydia and Jimmy James walk into the room.)

LYDIA JAMES: We could open a cr*ck house; an upscale one. (She looks at Haley.)

JIMMY JAMES: Yeah, like a cr*ck resort.

LYDIA JAMES: (about Haley.) She came back for Mr Waffles.

(Haley struggles to breathe after all the crying.)

JIMMY JAMES: Nathan do something?

HALEY: (upset) No. His um…mother, she said-

LYDIA JAMES: (interrupting) You were ruining her son’s life.

HAYLEY: Yeah, basically.

LYDIA JAMES: (Looks at Jimmy and he mouths along with what she says.) Of course she did. In-laws…

(They both get on the bed, either side of her.)…are like the FBI honey. (They pat her.) They have

a system and they follow it. First manoeuvre is you’re ruining her child’s life. (Haley laughs gloomily.)

JIMMY JAMES: Yeah, then it goes to; she can’t cook.

LYDIA JAMES: Her house is dirty.

JIMMY JAMES: We found some hash in the guestroom. (Haley laughs.)

LYDIA JAMES: There’s only one way to deal with them kiddo.

JIMMY JAMES: Screw em. I mean, you know, don’t actually have sex with them.

HALEY: (Revolted at the language but laughing all the same.) Da-ad!

LYDIA JAMES: What your father’s saying is, if you’re gonna come home crying every time you let them get

the best of you; you might as well move back in now, before we give your stuff to charity. (Haley looks

desolate.) You wanted this Haley. (Haley sighs.) Time to grow up. (Haley nods.) By the way, the dog threw

up on Mr Waffles.

(Haley grimaces as she lifts the bear by the tip of the paw and throws him to the end of the bed.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE - KITCHEN - DAY]

(Karen is looking at an article of a spring time college course but throws it in the recycling bin.

Keith knocks on the door and Karen opens it.)

KAREN: Keith.

KEITH: Hey. I uh, I meant to call you but um…you know, this thing with Dan is…(They look at each other

uncomfortably.)…anyway uh, Luke left his IPod in the truck.

KAREN: (Takes it.) Oh, I’m sorry. In that you had to come back. But I’ll be honest, I’m-I’m relieved

that Lucas is home.

KEITH: Yeah.

KAREN: And you too.

KEITH: Well I’m not sure how long I’m gonna stay but, uh, you know, we’ll see. (Karen nods.) I’ll see ya.

(He smiles and leaves the house. Karen just looks after his retreating back.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE HALL - DAY]

(Lucas is carrying boxes into the hall when Skills, Fergie and Mouth approach.)

FERGIE: That kid looks kinda like Luke. (Takes a box.)

MOUTH: It can’t be, Luke moved away. (Also takes a box.)

LUCAS: (Slaps hands with Fergie and Mouth.) Ah, hey thanks for helping out guys.

SKILLS: So you throwin a party for da devil huh? This part of your fresh start? (Lucas hands him a box.)

LUCAS: You know what, you’re going to be surprised Skills. (Takes the last box.) Haley’s turned him into a pretty

decent guy.

SKILLS: Hey if you say so man. Hey dawg, with dis new look of yours, really don’t impress me. Now if you get a

afro like Fergie, den we can talk. (Laughs. They walk into the hall.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE HALL - DAY]

(The hall has been decorated well. There are multicoloured curtains and lights all over them. The stage also

has lights all around and a bench in the middle. Three pictures hang above it. On the left is an Andy Worhol

style picture of Nathan and one of Haley on the right. The picture in the middle is in quarters; half of Nathan

and the other of Haley. It is obvious that Peyton did them.)

LUCAS: (Puts the box on the table. Walks over to Peyton.) Woah, Peyton. That looks great.

PEYTON: (Sticking up the heads of Nathan and Haley, when they were children, on a blackboard which she has

decorated with gold and silver pen with a bride and groom in the middle.) Thanks.

BROOKE: (Walks in holding helium filled condoms.) Ok, for future reference; having a convertible filled with

inflated rubber, not smart!

LUCAS: Helium condoms?

BROOKE: What? If she’s pregnant, it’s a reminder and if she’s not; it’s a reminder it’s cute.

(Lucas laughs and looks closer at them.) Hey Mouth, how’s your bod?

MOUTH: Skinny. (Skills and Fergie laugh.)

LUCAS: (o.s to Brooke.) You know Skills and Fergie right?

BROOKE: Of course I do. (Takes our Peyton’s Polaroid camera.) Hey guys, do you know Peyton?

PEYTON: (Slightly embarrassed.) Hi. (Waves)

SKILLS: (appreciatively) What’s up skinny girl?

BROOKE: Peyton’s an 8.1 on the ‘Lust Factor’. (Walks past Peyton and takes a picture of her chest.

Peyton looks at her shocked.) Soon to be a 9. (Peyton turns away and continues drawing on the blackboard.)

Now I was thinking we can take the cameras, put them out on the tables, people can take pictures

for the wedding wall.

LUCAS: Nice.

BROOKE: Care to know what else I have planned? I know you do! I have (takes out two spray cans

from the box.) spray string; for when Tutor Girl and Boy arrive and…Mouth, come here.

(Walks over to him.) Sit. (Sits him on a chair.)

PEYTON: What is that? (Points at Mouth.)

BROOKE: This, (Buckles Mouth onto the chair.) Missy blond girl, is the Brooke Davis version of

‘Spin the Bottle’. (Peyton ‘ohs’ silently.) Only now, it’s ‘Spin the Body’. Watch. (She spins

Mouth and stops him at Skills.) OK, you two have to make out. (Peyton laughs embarrassedly.)

And last but not least; we have ‘Five Minutes in the Elevator’.

LUCAS: Isn’t it ‘Five Minutes in the Closet’?

BROOKE: Yeah, if you’re in junior high. But the great part about this is; you know how everybody

has their elevator list?

SKILLS: (confused) What?

BROOKE: (nobody understands.) Your elevator list! Come on! The list of people you’re allowed

to have sex with if you’re ever stuck in an elevator with them.

SKILLS: Halle Berry.

FERGIE: Beyonce.

PEYTON: Jack Black.

MOUTH: Brooke Davis.

(Lucas laughs. Peyton looks.)

BROOKE: Well! Everybody makes a list and if two people have each others names…five minutes in

the elevator. (Everyone looks equal amounts pleased and shocked.)

LUCAS: Sounds like fun Brooke. Nice work!

BROOKE: Thank you. Now all we need is a Nathan and a Haley. (Spins Mouth.)

Mouth: (Pointing at Skills.) No. (Pointing at Brooke.) Yes. (Pointing at Lucas.) No. (Pointing at

Peyton.) Yes.

CUT TO:

(Dan is sitting up reading a puzzle book when Nathan walks in.)

NATHAN: How you doing dad?

DAN: (pause) I’m sorry about the play-offs Nathan. All on me.

NATHAN: It’s OK, it’s done.

DAN: I know things haven’t been great between us lately-

NATHAN: Dad, listen, before you say anything, ah, (Plays with his wedding ring.) There’s something you

should know. Haley and I…we got married.

DAN: (speechless.) Uh, you trying to give me another heart att*ck son?

NATHAN: No, it’s true. (Briefly holds up his hand to show the ring.) Sorry we didn’t tell you but, uh,

well there it is.

DAN: So that’s it for basketball.

NATHAN: (frowning) Why should it be?

DAN: You’ll see. You think you can do it all now but, one day you’ll look up and realise all you have to

live with are your mistakes.

NATHAN: It’s not a mistake dad. We’re both happy. It’s a good thing.

DAN: I was talking about my mistakes too Nathan. (Nathan considers Dan’s mistakes.) (v.o) Sooner or later

we all choose a path. Sometimes you never look back and sometimes life forces you to.

NATHAN: OK, um…I’m just gonna let you get some rest alright dad?

DAN: Nathan. (Nathan turns slightly.) Would you ask Lucas to drop by? I’d really like to see your brother.

(Nathan doesn’t answer; he turns and leaves the hospital.)

FADE OUT:
COMMERCIAL SET:

[INT. HALL - DAY]

(Lucas is still moving boxes as Nathan walks in.)

NATHAN: Hey! This is great man.

LUCAS: (Turns and laughs.) Hey, shouldn’t you be home getting ready?

NATHAN: Yeah but I ah…I needed to talk to you first.

LUCAS: Yeah?

NATHAN: I just went down to the hospital and uh…(pause)…he said he wants to see you.

LUCAS: (Dumbfounded, sits at the edge of the stage.) Woah.

NATHAN: Luke, when I was younger, I thought I had the best of things; I had a father in my life (pause)

but if you want my advice; just stay away OK. The best thing I ever did was get emancipated. It feels

good to be free. (Lucas nods. A door shuts off-screen.)

KAREN: (v.o) Lucas? (Walks on-screen.) Oh hey Nathan.

NATHAN: Hey.

KAREN: I guess a, uh, congratulations are in order.

NATHAN: (smiles and nods thankfully.) Well anyway, I was just ah, heading out so…see ya tonight. (leaves)

KAREN: It’s a brave new world huh?

(Lucas smiles and so does Karen.)

KAREN: (Looking at an enlarged ID card with a hole cut out where the face should be.) Hm, this is interesting.

LUCAS: Oh yeah. From the mind of Brooke Davis. (Laughs and stands up to explain it to her.) For a twenty

dollar donation, you get a fake ID…and…Nathan and Haley get the cash. (Give his mom a look.) Go on! (Waves

her onto the stool.)

KAREN: Make me younger.

LUCAS: (Laughs) Ready? One, two, three; smile! (Karen smiles as he takes the picture. Removes the

Polaroid, shakes it and hands it over for her to see.) So I found a-a course catalogue (Karen’s eyes widen.)

in the recycling bin. Were you thinking about college?

KAREN: A couple of classes. And now, not so much. (Starts cutting around the picture.)

LUCAS: Why not? Coz I’m back?

KAREN: No, it’s just. (She looks up at him.) It can wait.

LUCAS: For what? (Karen hands him the picture. He takes it and laminates it.) So uh, Nathan told me

Dan wants to see me.

KAREN: Way to bury the lead. Why didn’t you tell me?

LUCAS: I just did.

KAREN: You gonna go?

LUCAS: I dunno. What do you think?

KAREN: (Sighs. She can’t forget that Dan abandoned Lucas.) I think it’s a tough call where Dan’s concerned.

Let me tell you a little dirty secret about being a parent; I don’t have a road map anymore than you do.

This time the only advice that I can give you is whatever you decide with Dan…be careful.

LUCAS: (Nods. He looks at the picture and hands it to Karen.) Hm…here you go mom. You’re a kid again.

KAREN: (exclaims) You know, on second thought, (Hands it back.) No thanks.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL - WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE - DAY]

(Whitey is back at the school with no obvious evidence of having had the operation. Keith walks in.)

KEITH: Hey old man, there you are.

WHITEY: (Obviously pleased to see him.) Keith!

KEITH: Bought you a decent cup of coffee.

WHITEY: Thanks.

KEITH: Yeah, (dropping the pretence.) Of course it’s cold because I stopped by the hospital first, nurse told me

you checked out. That’s a pretty big risk to be taking with your eyesight.

WHITEY: (Laughs and sits behind his desk.) Who are you to be lecturing me about risk?

KEITH: Oh, here it comes; the old Whitey dodge. Hey, we’re talking about you.

WHITEY: You said you went to the hospital. How much can I bet that you didn’t bother to go see your brother

while you were there?

KEITH: That is not the point.

WHITEY: That’s exactly the point. Look Keith, we both know that Dan is a world class jerk but he’s still your

brother. When you get to be my age, and you’re facing something like this…damn surgery, then the most

important thing in your life becomes your life. And the person you were when you lived it.

KEITH: Um, I’m pretty sure that Dan doesn’t wanna see me.

WHITEY: So what?! You be the better man Keith. (pause) Alright, what happened this time?

KEITH: I kind of (pause) slept with Deb.

WHITEY: (Face falls, shocked. Whistles.) Oh, forget everything I said.

CUT TO:

[INT. PEYTON’S HOUSE - BATHROOM - DAY]

(Peyton is taking a shower with a pink shower cap over her hair.)

PEYTON: Hey Brooke, what are you wearing tonight? I mean it’s more of a party than a wedding reception right?

(Brooke quickly pulls opens the shower curtain and takes a picture of a naked and wet Peyton while Peyton

has her back turned.)

PEYTON: Brooke! (Brooke cackles as she runs off. Peyton looks at the front of the shower dumbfounded.)

BROOKE: Nice! We are gonna get you a ten yet.

(Haley enters as Brooke sits at Peyton’s computer.)

HALEY: Hey, is Peyton around? (Brooke puts the memory card into a slot connected to the PC.) She said

she was gonna loan me something to wear.

BROOKE: (o.s) Yeah, she’ll be out in a second.

(The computer uploads the picture and Haley looks at it shocked.)

HALEY: Oh my god! Where did you get that picture of her?

Brooke: You gotta love modern technology. It’s for a little project that I’m doing, to help expand her horizons.

HALEY: By posting nude pictures of her on the internet?

BROOKE: Don’t worry. She’s gonna thank me when she sees the guys that are lining up. (She messes around

on the computer a little. Haley raises an eyebrow.)

HALEY: (distracted) Oh, he’s cute. Oo, really cute. Oh that’s what I’m talking about.

BROOKE: Down girl. You can look at the menu all you want but from now on, you eat at home. (Haley laughs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE HALL - EVENING]

(The party is in full swing. Lights and disco balls everywhere. Lucas walks around with a camera and takes

pictures at random.)

FERGIE: Great party dawg.

LUCAS: Hey. Thanks Fergie, enjoy.

(The camera moves around fast. Lucas takes a picture of Brooke and Mouth at the DJ’s table. He walks up to

Peyton getting a fake tattoo.)

LUCAS: Hi.

PEYTON: Hey. Kind of ironic, it says; ‘Naley Forever’ but it’s a temporary tattoo. (Lucas takes a picture of it.)

LUCAS: It’s symbolic. (They laugh.)

BROOKE: (Ecstatically into a microphone on the stage.) They’re here! They’re here! Mouth, did you get the extra

spray string? (Walks off before she gets an answer.)

MOUTH: Sorta.

(Haley and Nathan walk up the stairs amidst cheers and clapping. Haley yells and laughs happily. People are

spraying them with string. Mouth comes along with his can and starts spraying only its spray cheese rather

than string and he sprays it on Skills’ head and shoulder. Skills looks disgustedly at him.)

MOUTH: (explains) They were outta spray string so…I got cheese instead.

(Fergie dips a chip into the cheese on Skills’ shoulder and eats it, shrugging. Deb enters, holding a present and

feeling completely out of place. She sees Nathan and Haley hugging Haley’s parents, realising that Jimmy and

Lydia are happy for the pair. Nathan is welcome into their family.)

FADE OUT:

COMMERCIAL SET:

(The party is still going strong, people chasing each other with spray string and laughing. Deb approaches Lucas.)

DEB: Lucas.

LUCAS: (turns) Oh hey, Mrs Scott.

DEB: Hi.

LUCAS: Nice to see you.

DEB: I brought a gift.

LUCAS: Oh, great, ah just set it on the table.

DEB: (smiles) Ok, thanks.

LUCAS: Yeah. (Walks up to a guy not partying, just looking around.) Are you with Nathan or Haley?

GUY: Peyton. (He walks up to Peyton.)

PEYTON: (Points) sh*t in the dark; ‘Lust Factor’?

GUY: Definitely.

PEYTON: OK, um…my friend put me on there as a joke. I’m not looking.

GUY: I’m up to a 9.6.

PEYTON: I’m…not on the market.

GUY: Well I’m on your page so IM me sometime.

(Peyton nods perplexed.)

BROOKE: (approaches) Are you crazy? What were you thinking, letting him go? He’s gotta be like a 9.5-

PEYTON: 6. And remind me to k*ll you later. (Brooke smiles sheepishly.) How many more are coming?

BROOKE: (Fake coughs like Peyton did earlier.) I thi-I-I need something to drink. (Walks off.)

PEYTON: Brooke! Do not fake cough me!

(Karen is looking at all the wrapped presents. She sees Deb.)

KAREN: Deb, you came.

DEB: Yeah. I’m not sure why, this is, ah, it’s pretty wild.

KAREN: Hm, looks fine. (jokes) You wanna dance?

DEB: (Looks at how some people are dancing and laughs.) No, um, I think I’ll leave the dancing to the kids.

KAREN: (Lydia and Jimmy dancing. They wave at her.) Uh, you know, let’s sit.

DEB: Yeah OK.

KAREN: You hungry?

DEB: How can you be so at ease with all of this?

KAREN: I know this is hard for you Deb.

DEB: Oh don’t tell me you honestly think this can work?

KAREN: (explaining) Haley’s been like a daughter to me.

DEB: And Nathan used to be a son to me. On top of that, you can’t possibly know what they’re up against

Karen. You didn’t get married when you were their age. (Trails off as she realises that the only reason

Karen didn’t get married at that age was because Deb came into the picture. Karen gives her a ‘carry on’ look.)

NATHAN: (o.s) Mom?

HALEY: (shocked) Mrs Scott, you came.

DEB: Yeah. Thought I should.

HALEY: I’m really glad you did. (Everyone is slightly uncomfortable.) Wanna come meet my parents?

DEB: Um, oh. (Takes out her phone, even though it obviously isn’t ringing and looks at it.) Oh this is Dan,

I really should take it. (Walks off.)

(Haley looks at Karen.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - DAN’S ROOM - NIGHT]

(Dan is sitting on the bed eating jello when Keith walks in.)

KEITH: Hi.

DAN: (Turns the TV off.) I was wondering if you were ever gonna come visit me.

KEITH: I was just um…waiting for the right time and uh, I guess then I realised there wasn’t gonna be a right

time so…here I am. (Dan smiles.) I’m sorry Dan. About what happened with me and Deb. I ah, I wish I can take

it all back.

DAN: I haven’t been much of a brother to you Keith, or a husband to Deb, or a father. I guess I’ve just had other

things on my mind; success, business. (Keith is shocked beyond words.)

KEITH: Well, you just worry about getting well. OK? I’ll uh, help out at the dealership till you…get back on your

feet. I-I know you’re gonna have a very strong opinion about this but-

DAN: Actually that would take a load off my mind. (Eats jello.)

KEITH: (Confused pause.) You’re OK with that?

DAN: (nods) Things change. People change.

KEITH: (relieved) O-oh, well OK then. (smiles) Um…get well Dan. (Dan smiles and nods. Keith walks out of the

room but not before giving him a very strange look. Dan smiles and turns the TV back on.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy is standing at the ID card while Lydia takes many strange pictures with him in sunglasses and a red cap.)

HALEY: (o.s) There you guys are.

LYDIA JAMES: Hey.

HALEY: Hey. Oh, now we’ve lost Nathan’s mom somewhere.

LYDIA JAMES: She actually came?

NATHAN: Guess she’s trying to make an effort.

LYDIA JAMES: Well then…we will too. Oh, but first we have something to tell you.

JIMMY JAMES: Oh-oh yeah, it’s ah, well it’s kind of a wedding present. Ah, for us.

HALEY: (confused) Ok. What is it?

LYDIA JAMES: Well, (sighs) we got ourselves an RV. (Haley looks at her mother disbelieving.)

JIMMY JAMES: You see, we always said when the last bird flew, we’d sell the coop, buy an RV and hit the road.

Who knew someday was gonna be today?

HALEY: (understandably upset.) You guys are leaving town?

LYDIA JAMES: Oh baby. The beauty…of a motor home is that we can launch a sneak att*ck anytime and anywhere.

This is how we set each other free. (Smiles at her daughter and Jimmy smiles at Nathan; who returns it.

Haley hugs her mother.)

(Lucas and Mouth are attacking Skills and Fergie with spray string. Lucas sees a guy in a kilt and stands up.)

LUCAS: Uh…Peyton right?

GUY IN KILT: How do you know?

LUCAS: Lucky guess.

(Whitey stops in front of Haley and Nathan with a present.)

NATHAN: Coach! How are ya?

WHITEY: Well I’m old, but I wasn’t always that way. There was a time when I was young and in love

like the two of you. (He gives them the present. It’s a baby quilt.) Here. Camilla stitched that

during the first year of our marriage. It’s a baby blanket. (Haley is awestruck.) Course ah, we

spent all those years just the two of us in the nest but I think she’d like that to go to somebody

she would have been really fond of.

HALEY: Oh coach, that’s so sweet of you, thank you, but I’m not pregnant. (Nathan sh**t an amused

glance at Whitey.)

WHITEY: Well you never know; he is a Scott after all. (Haley and Nathan laugh.)

HALEY: Would you excuse me for just a minute? (She hands the present to Nathan.)

NATHAN: Yeah. (Haley walks away.) Thanks coach.

(Brooke spins an arrow on ‘Party Tangle’.)

BROOKE: (o.s) OK, foot on orange.

HALEY: (Stalking up to Brooke.) What do I have to do? Pee on a stick?

BROOKE: Um…if that’s your kicks. Do I know what we’re talking about?

HALEY: Brooke, I am not pregnant. (Brooke rolls her eyes. She doesn’t believe it.) Look. (She unzips the side

of her pants and shows a patch.) It’s a birth control patch. I’ve had it for weeks.

BROOKE: (Looking around, finally understanding.) So it really is just about love.

HALEY: Yeah. What other reason do we need? (Brooke smiles at her. She wants that.)

(Skills stands beside Lucas.)

SKILLS: You did a good thing here Luke man.

LUCAS: Thanks Skills.

SKILLS: Hey, so I was thinking about Charleston right? And about how you could have been dis new person.

(Lucas laughs.) Yeah well see, I remember the person that you used to be. Why not just be him again?

(Lucas knows it’s a good idea.) Trust me. I mean you so lucky dawg, you surrounded by so many people who

you love. You see, now you gotta make yourself one of those people. Aight?

LUCAS: (nodding) Yeah. (They hit fists.)

SKILLS: My dawg. (Looks at some girls.) I’ll be back. (Walks away.)

KEITH: Hey.

LUCAS: Oh hey! Where you been hiding?

KEITH: I, you know, just…had some things to take care of. Luke, I know how much Charleston meant to you.

(Lucas agrees.) But um…looks like I’m gonna be taking over the dealership until Dan gets better so um…we’re

gonna be living here for a while. You OK with that?

LUCAS: Yeah. You know it’s probably better to get a fresh start with the people who actually

matter in your life right?

KEITH: Yeah. (Nods. Lucas laughs. He sees Brooke and Peyton spraying a passer-by and laughing.)

Um…speaking of, excuse me. (Lucas walks away and Keith gets sprayed in the face.)

LUCAS: (To Peyton and Brooke.) You ladies throw a pretty rocking party.

BROOKE: (agreeing) Yeah well, doesn’t suck.

PEYTON: What are you smiling about?

LUCAS: You didn’t read it did you? (off their looks.) The letter.

PEYTON: Oh. (Her and Brooke exchange glances.)

BROOKE: Course we did!

LUCAS: Oh, so yo-you were ok with the P.S. about the three of us?

BROOKE: Yeah, sure.

PEYTON: Absolutely.

LUCAS: Really? Really? So the threesome with the hot fudge didn’t bother you huh? (Peyton and Brooke

look stumped.)

BROOKE: I knew we should have read the letter.

PEYTON: We thought you’d left town.

BROOKE: So we, sort of, b*rned it.

LUCAS: b*rned it, wow, heh, you know what? I’m glad you didn’t read it. I mean all that stuff I said (shrugs)

it’s not important now. And what matters now is that the three of us…we’re gonna be OK. (They smile.

Someone takes a picture of them.)

KEITH: (o.s to Karen.) Hey.

KAREN: (o.s) Keith! Um. (She takes a bit of party string off of his shoulder.)

KEITH: Well um…I’m back. I um…I’ve decided to run the dealership for Dan, at least for a little while.

KAREN: You’ve given up a lot for Dan. He doesn’t deserve a brother like you.

KEITH: (Looks at Deb striding past.) Actually, he deserves better. (Karen still doesn’t know what happened.)

(Deb touches the picture of Nathan’s head stuck to the drawing of the groom.)

NATHAN: Mom. You met Haley’s parents?

LYDIA JAMES: Hi, I’m Lydia James this is my husband Jim.

JIMMY JAMES: Hi, nice to meet you.

DEB: Hi.

JIMMY JAMES: Sorry to hear about your husband. How’s he doing?

DEB: He’s ah, he’s struggling with a new reality, I suppose we both are. (Nathan wants to protest but can’t.)

LYDIA JAMES: Well, I look forward to the day when we can all break bread and…argue about religion and politics

and how best to raise our grandchildren.

JIMMY JAMES: Yeah ah-ah, no hurry on the last one by the way. (Jimmy, Lydia and Nathan laugh. Deb is not

happy. Lydia nudges Jimmy a bit, hoping for some help.) Well you’ve raised a fine man.

DEB: He’s not a man.

JIMMY JAMES: Sorry?

DEB: I said he’s not a man, he’s a boy and none of this would have happened if you people had had enough

common sense to stop it!

NATHAN: Mom!

DEB: NO! I am not going to stand here and make nice and pretend like this is all OK when it isn’t.

HALEY: (appears) Then don’t! (Everyone looks at her shocked.) It’s one thing for you to raise your voice at

me but don’t come in here and dump on my parents! We made our decision, we got married and we’re happy and

if you’re not here to celebrate with us, then you should just go home because I don’t want you here! (Nathan

puts his arm around Haley and stares his mother down. Jimmy doesn’t look too happy either. Deb turns and

leaves; Nathan sighs. Haley is unwavering.)

FADE OUT:

COMMERCIAL SET:

[EXT. THE HALL - EVENING]

(Haley is sitting out on the steps, upset and tired. Nathan comes out and sits next to her.)

NATHAN: Nicely played.

HALEY: I am so sorry. I-as if things aren’t bad enough with your family.

NATHAN: You couldn’t make it any worse.

HALEY: You know what’s weird? Even with my parents leaving town, I have never felt safer in my life.

NATHAN: You know what’s weirder? Seeing you take my mom’s head off back there actually kinda turned me on.

HALEY: (sputters) (pause) Five minutes in the elevator?

NATHAN: How bout right here? (Haley smiles and kisses him.)

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - DAN’S ROOM - EVENING]

(Dan sits at the window, looking out at the city when Deb walks in and sits behind him; sighing.)

DEB: I forgot how beautiful Nathan’s smile was until tonight. What hurts most is…it went away when he saw me.

DAN: What happened?

DEB: I bitched out Haley’s parents and made things worse.

DAN: (Smiles sardonically.) Nice work.

DEB: (upset) It’s not funny Dan. He has a new family now. (cries.)

DAN: (Stands up and walks to her. He holds her.) Don’t worry. I promise; together we’ll get our son back.

(We see a bit of the ‘old’ Dan coming back.)

FADE IN:

COMMERCIAL SET:

(Haley’s parents are standing on the stage, at the microphone.)

JIMMY JAMES: Ah, I guess it’s no surprise that some would criticize us; call us unfit parents.

LYDIA JAMES: And normally…they would be right. (Haley smiles fondly at them while Nathan looks fondly at her.)

JIMMY JAMES: And for those who say they’re too young, let me just say; hell you can drive at sixteen,

go to w*r at eighteen, you can drink at twenty-one and retire at sixty-five so how old do you have to

be…before your love…is real? (He smiles at his daughter who has tears in her eyes.)

LYDIA JAMES: So here’s to you Haley-bub, and Nathan; she’s your headache now. (Nathan laughs and holds

up his glass, as does everyone else.)

LUCAS: (Now at the microphone.) I think everybody…knows that Nathan and I got of to a pretty sketchy

start. Nathan; mutual hatred sound about right?

NATHAN: Worse! (They laugh.)

LUCAS: Yeah. (pause) You see, then a funny thing happened; (pause) Haley. She showed me that you can

find the good in everybody, if you just give them a chance. The benefit of the doubt. (Jimmy and Lydia

smile at Haley who has happy tears running down her face.) Sometimes, people disappoint you. (Cut to Brooke

who looks down.) Sometimes they surprise you. (Cut to Peyton who looks up slightly, then Karen and then

Keith.) But you never really get to know them…until you listen for what’s in their hearts and that’s what

Haley did with Nathan. That’s what we should do for them. So for you sceptics out there, prepare to be

surprised. So this (Holds up his bottle of water.) is to my…brother and my little sis (Haley smiles

widely.) in-law, and in love.

(Everybody raises their glasses.)

PEYTON: (Glass raised.) Cheers.

BROOKE: (Glass raised.) Cheers.

(A shutter sound goes off and the sh*t freezes on Haley and Nathan drinking from their glasses.)

FADE IN:

(We see a close-up sh*t of the heads of Haley and Nathan, as children, stuck onto the drawing of the

bride and groom on the blackboard.)

FADE IN:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE - LIVING ROOM - EVENING]

(Deb is sitting in the living room with the lights off. She is holding the same picture of Nathan as

a child. It’s a school photo and in a frame. She hugs it to her chest.)

FADE IN:

[INT. BROOKE’S HOUSE - BROOKE’S BEDROOM - EVENING]

(Brooke looks at the picture of herself, Lucas and Peyton that was taken at the party. She walks up

to her mirror and sticks it on. She smiles happily and we see another picture on her mirror; one of

Peyton also taken at the party.)

FADE IN:

[INT. PEYTON’S HOUSE - PEYTON’S BEDROOM - EVENING]

(Peyton is on her computer, looking at the ‘Lust Factor’ page that Brooke set up for her. It shows

that she now has a rating of 9.4. She clicks on ‘Delete my Profile’. She stares for a second before

clicking to delete it permanently.)

FADE IN:

[THE WEDDING WALL]

(picture of Karen’s fake ID. It shows her name to be Page Turner born on the 23rd of May 1974.)

FADE IN:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE - KITCHEN - EVENING]

(Karen is using a highlighter to mark courses that she is interested in.)

FADE IN:

[THE WEDDING WALL]

(Two pictures of Keith, one before he was spry stringed and one after.)

FADE IN:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS - MORNING]

(Keith is dressed smartly in a suit as he begins his first day on the job. He looks around and

enters Dan’s office with ‘Dan Scott President’ on the window.)

FADE IN:

[THE WEDDING WALL]

(Pictures of Lucas and Karen smiling.)

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL - DAN’S ROOM - MORNING]

(Someone pushes Dan’s hospital room door open and walks in. Dan looks up, almost pleased.)

DAN: I’m glad you came son.

(Cut to show that it is actually Lucas standing there looking out of place. He squints and nods

slightly.)