02x09 - The Trick is to Keep Breathing

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x09 - The Trick is to Keep Breathing

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

(Brooke opens her front door, looking out.)

MOUTH: (Standing there.) I knew this meant a lot to you. (Brooke stares.) I bought it back. (Steps aside and we see the dollhouse.)

(Brooke smiles, stunned.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Mouth helps Brooke onto her bed. She’s drunk and doesn’t know where she is or who she’s with.)

FELIX: (v.o) You like her, huh?

MOUTH: (v.o) Yeah, but guys like (Cut to Mouth and Felix in Brooke’s bedroom.) me don’t get girls like her.

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke comes around and Felix is on her bed, looking at her.)

BROOKE: (Whispering) Felix, (Pause) you took care of me?

FELIX: Yeah… sometimes you gotta break the rules.

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – BACKROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton pushes the door to the ‘Private’ room in the back open. Rick and his buddies are inside doing coke.)

RICK: Relax, it’s cool. Peyton and I did a couple of lines the other night. (Peyton looks guilty as Haley looks at her accusingly.) Aint that right Peyton?

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – OFF-STAGE – EVENING]

(Chris talks to Haley as she sits on the edge of the stage with Nathan.)

CHRIS: You’ve got a good sound… and watching you tonight, I could definitely see us doing something together. (Haley’s happy.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – PAVEMENT – DAY]

(Haley, Nathan, Lucas and Brooke stand outside the apartment as Nathan and Lucas get ready to go to Charlotte.)

NATHAN: So you won’t be alone tonight.

HALEY: Nope.

NATHAN: What’re you gonna do until then?

HALEY: Probably just gonna… hang out with Brooke. (Looks at Brooke, desperately hoping for conformation. Brooke just looks at her.)

HALEY and CHRIS: (v.o) #Where do you go

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – EVENING]

(Chris and Haley stand in front of a microphone, singing.)

HALEY and CHRIS: when you’re lonely,

I’ll follow you.#

CUT TO:

[INT. CHURCH – CONFESSIONAL BOOTH – EVENING]

(Peyton sits inside the confessional booth during ‘Dare Night’.)

PEYTON: (Tearfully) This is… the first time I’ve been in a church since my mom d*ed. (Crying) I think about her every day(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – DAN’S ROOM – DAY]

(Dan is unconscious and hooked up to machines.)

DOCTOR: (v.o) Dan has a heart condition known as HCM.

(Deb looks at him worriedly.)

DOCTOR: It’s a… genetic mutation.

CUT TO:

[INT. CHARLOTTE MEDICAL CENTER – DAY]

(Nathan is sitting on the doctor’s chair, hooked up to machines and getting tested for the genetic mutation. Lucas stands there watching.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Come on man, what are the odds of us even having this thing anyway?

(Nathan lies back on the chair.)

NATHAN: (v.o) Fifty-fifty.

LUCAS: (Watching Nathan worriedly.) I’m sorry. I don’t wanna know.

(Nathan looks at Lucas as he turns and walks out of the room.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

(Felix confronts Lucas as he is about to enter the house.)

FELIX: You like my sister?

LUCAS: You know I do.

FELIX: Stay the hell away from her.

CUT TO:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAY]

(sh*t of Nathan sleeping, in bed. The camera pans to the door.)

HALEY: (Entering with a tray loaded with breakfast.) Goood morniiing! (Gets onto the bed.) Rise and shine!

(Nathan wakes up and Haley puts the tray in front of him, smacking him.)

HALEY: I slaved, all morning, over the toaster, making my famous raisin waffles so eat up.

NATHAN: (Sighs) Somebody wants to go to that… crummy Formal.

HALEY: Crummy?(!) (Smacks him on the arm.) How could you say that? We get to hang out with our friends and get all dressed up and slow dance. How can you not be excited?

NATHAN: Because my parents are chaperones.

HALEY: (Pause) OK, well there’s that. (Pause) So what? Safety in numbers; I got your back.

NATHAN: (Sighs) Do we really have to go to this stupid dance?

HALEY: Alright, well, maybe not. I mean, (Pause) once I get you in that tux, maybe I’ll decide we should stay in… (Whispers something in his ear.)

NATHAN: (Laughs) Just ah… don’t leave me alone with them.

HALEY: OK. (Holds up her hand.) I promise.

(Nathan holds the fork, with a bit of food on it, out to her and she eats it.)

HALEY: So (Kisses him.) good.

NATHAN: My turn. (Haley laughs.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE MALL – EST sh*t – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. THE MALL – CLOTHES SHOP – DAY]

(Brooke and Peyton are looking at dresses for the Formal. Brooke grimaces as she looks at a baby pink one.)

BROOKE: Think of all the taffeta that had to die to make this thing(!)

(Peyton smacks Brooke in the face with a part of the dress.)

BROOKE: Eww! (Peyton laughs.)

(Brooke walks along a little further and stops, awed.)

BROOKE: Ohhhh, look(!) (Looks at the price tag.) Oh! Maybe I could just buy it, keep the tags on and return it the next day. (Peyton looks at her.) I mean it’s a Formal, I’m not gonna be wearing it for that long anyway. (Peyton laughs.) I hope(!)

(Brooke takes it off the rack and holds it to her, turning to Peyton.)

BROOKE: What do you think?

PEYTON: (Shaking her head.) No.

BROOKE: Really?

(Peyton shakes her head and grimaces. Brooke sighs.)

BROOKE: Just as well, it’s too much anyway. (Pats it and walks away.)

(Peyton watches her and then grabs the dress, walking to the counter. Brooke turns to Peyton and sees her with the dress.)

BROOKE: (Gasps) You are so not my best friend anymore! (Peyton turns to her smiling.)

PEYTON: And what if I told you I was buying it for you!?

BROOKE: (Giddy) You are so my best friend again!

(Fade to them now exiting the shop.)

BROOKE: (Holding a green bag.) So, P. Sawyer, thank you for buying me the dress (Peyton laughs.) and if you try and take it back, I’m gonna have to bite you. But what are you gonna wear to this thing?

PEYTON: (Evasively) Oh, I got it covered. I just came on this little outing for you! (Smacks her on the arse.)

BROOKE: Oh(!) Well you are gonna be the best Formal date I’ve ever had.

PEYTON: And not Felix?

BROOKE: Against the rules, but Felix… has been kinda sweet lately. I might have to start giving him the benefit of the doubt instead of just the benefit.

PEYTON: (Laughing) OK. (Checks her watch.) Hey look, I gotta go (Points behind her.) to the club and pick some stuff up. (Brooke nods.) But I’ll call you later.

BROOKE: (Whispers) OK. Thanks for this, Peyton.

PEYTON: Hey, anything. (Pats her and walks away.)

FELIX: (o.s) I don’t hear any shoplifting alarms.

(Brooke looks to the side. Cut to Felix leaning against a counter, smiling.)

FELIX: New dress?

BROOKE: My Formal date, Peyton, bought it for me.

FELIX: Hmm.

BROOKE: I don’t suppose you have a date to this thing?

FELIX: I was thinking about asking you.

BROOKE: Ah(!)

FELIX: But, that would’ve violated rule number two.

BROOKE: Hmm. Well, you know what they say – it’s not who you take to Formal, it’s who you take home. (Pats him on the chest, takes a few steps, turns to him smiling and then walks away.)

(Felix smiles as he watches her.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. FELIX AND ANNA’S HOUSE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

(Lucas is sitting on the porch steps as Felix drives up in his BMW. Felix gets out of the car and sees Lucas.)

FELIX: (Not impressed.) Stay away from my sister… means stay away from me too.

LUCAS: Just wanna talk to you.

FELIX: (Looks at him sideways.) We got nothing to talk about. (Walks past Lucas, nudging his shoulder as he goes.)

LUCAS: (Persisting) I’m taking Anna to the Formal.

(Felix stops and looks at him.)

LUCAS: Look, (Pause) I don’t have a sister, but I’ve got Hales and I know how protective I am of her. (Felix smirks and looks away for a second.) So I get why those pictures set you off. (Puts his hands into his pockets.) But the one you found… (Shakes his head.) I never even saw it until you showed it to me.

FELIX: But you had the other half. You coulda used it to win ‘Dare Night’. Why didn’t you?

LUCAS: (Shrugging) Anna isn’t a game to me. (Pause) I’d never do anything to hurt her.

FELIX: (Pauses before approaching him.) Fine… take her to Formal… but you screw up with her, I’m cutting in. It’s you and me who are gonna dance.

(Lucas nods slightly, Felix smirks and walks away. Lucas watches him and then discreetly rolls his eyes.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – EST sh*t – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Dan is doing push ups on the living room floor. The door opens and closes. Dan hears and quickly stops the exercise, scrambling onto the couch and picking up a newspaper to read. He’s still breathing a little heavily and sweating. Deb enters with suit bags and her purse.)

DEB: Hey(!)

Dan: (Turning his head slightly to look at her.) He-hey.

DEB: I picked up your tux. (Hangs it on the door handle.) Uh, I still think you should stay home.

DAN: (Pretending to read the paper.) Oh, and miss a chance of seeing Nathan?

DEB: Dan, the doctor said –

DAN: (Looking up.) It’s a Formal Deb, not a marathon.

(Deb stands at the doorway for a b*at before turning.)

DAN: Hey, (Deb turns back.) what’s really bothering you? (Puts the newspaper down.)

DEB: (Walking slowly into the living room.) Karen… is chaperoning too.

DAN: (Looks straight and sighs.) How many times do I have to say it? I’m sorry I told her about you and Keith. Honestly, I thought you would have told her yourself; you two being friends.

DEB: (Stiffly) That’s exactly why I didn’t tell her.

DAN: You lied to spare her feelings, I understand that. (Pause) But sometimes lies have a way of catching up with us. (Looks seriously at her.)

(Deb looks at him for a long time, not knowing how to respond.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – EST sh*t – DAY]

(A phone rings.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DAY]

(Lucas is sitting at one of the tables, reading a book. His phone is ringing. He puts the book down and picks his phone up, looking at the front screen to see who it is before flipping it open.)

LUCAS: Hello?

DOCTOR MITCHELL: (Through the phone.) Hello, Lucas Scott? This is Doctor Mitchell, your father’s cardiologist. (Lucas leans forward.) The doctor I referred your brother to notified me that you refused your HCM test. Can you tell me why?

LUCAS: (Struggling) I guess I’d… rather risk a short full life than… (Smiles self-deprecatingly.) have a long empty one.

DOCTOR Mitchell: (Through the phone.) Well, with the right treatment, you won’t have to do either one. Look at your father.

LUCAS: (Nodding) Yeah, he practically needs a… twenty-four hour babysitter.

DOCTOR MITCHELL: Well that’s not true. He’s had a clean bill of health for weeks now; passed every test with flying colours. I urge you to reconsider Lucas. Please think about it.

(Lucas stares into nothing, frowning, and shuts his phone.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – THE BAR – DAY]

(Peyton works at the bar, writing down some information from the back of a CD case. Rick enters with a small box. Inside are a few CDs. Peyton turns to see who it is.)

RICK: Hey(!)

PEYTON: (Uncomfortable) Hey.

RICK: So, I had a little brush with your friend Karen.

PEYTON: (Turning back.) She found out.

RICK: Hey, look, it’s cool. We’ll work around her, that’s all.

(Peyton looks back at him with reserved dislike.)

RICK: (Puts the box on the bar.) Here’s some bands I think that might work for your club. Like what you hear, just give me a shout. (Peyton looks at the box and nods.) I gotta go, alright? (Stops at the door.) There’s a little something in there… (Points) for you too.

(Peyton looks at him, he waves before exiting. She waves back a little before nervously taking the box. She flips through the CDs before taking out a small glass bottle with cocaine inside. Peyton’s torn.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERICAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – EST sh*t – DAY]

KAREN: (v.o) Andy, that’s fine.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DAY]

(Karen and Haley are behind the counter. Karen is balancing a phone between her ear and shoulder as she speaks into it.)

KAREN: (Pause as he replies.) Alright, I’ll see you when you get back. (Hangs up the phone.)

HALEY: (Turns her head.) Andy down-under?

KAREN: Oh, New York for a seminar.

(The bell above the door jingles as somebody enters. Karen turns to the noise.)

KAREN: Hey, there she is(!)

(Peyton stands at the doorway and waves as she walks further into the shop.)

KAREN: Give my trusty club promoter a sack on the house. She’s earned it(!)

HALEY: Alright(!) (Grabs the coffee pot before approaching Peyton.) Sup girly?!

PEYTON: Actually, this trusty club promoter needs a favour.

HALEY: (Pouring coffee.) Alright.

PEYTON: How would you feel about playing TRIC next weekend? (Chris is seen by the entrance, Peyton talks quickly.) And I don’t mean just… one or two songs. (Chris enters.) I mean… like a whole set.

HALEY: Oh, wow, I’m flattered but I can’t.

PEYTON: Why not?!

HALEY: Cos I don’t have a set(!)

CHRIS: (Butting in.) I got plenty of songs.

PEYTON: Really(!) See, that’s weird cos I wouldn’t know that. I’ve never even heard him play one.

CHRIS: Ah, but you know, let’s just skip to the track where you tell me you want me to play.

PEYTON: How do I know you’re not gonna screw me again?

(Haley watches the pair.)

CHRIS: Been there, done that.

PEYTON: Are you gonna have a list of crazy demands?

CHRIS: Yeah, but just one; Haley (Inclines his head to her.) plays with me.

HALEY: (Shocked) Uh… do you really think I’m ready for that?

CHRIS: Uh, no. But you will be if we rehearse tonight.

HALEY: Oh, I can’t tonight. Tonight’s the Formal.

CHRIS: Hmm, just as well; I don’t really wanna play with someone who’s not… totally committed. Not with record labels in the audience.

(Haley rolls her eyes and looks at Peyton.)

CHRIS: I have interest. But you just went off that prom.

(Haley is not happy.)

HALEY: Alright, fine, I’ll be there.

(Chris smirks, self satisfied, and leaves. Peyton smiles to herself.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SUIT SHOP – DAY]

(Nathan and Lucas enter a suit shop.)

NATHAN: (Voice low.) Check it out. (They walk further in and Lucas shuts the door.) I got tipped off – Haley is gonna get crowed queen tonight. (Nathan smiles.)

LUCAS: Wow, that’s great. Does she know?

NATHAN: (Looking down for some suit.) No. I’ve totally been acting like I don’t even wanna go.

(Lucas picks up a hat and puts it on.)

NATHAN: I’ve actually got a pretty incredible night lined up for her though.

LUCAS: (Laughs and takes the hat off.) Haley, queen of the Formal. Now that’s hard to believe –

NATHAN: Yeah –

LUCAS: considering… last years Formal, we spent playing miniature golf and making fun of the whole thing. (Laughs)

NATHAN: Now I’m hanging out with you losers. (Laughs)

LUCAS: (Semi seriously.) Hey.

(Felix stands by the changing rooms, looking at his watch, as Mouth exits. Mouth has trouble putting on his cummerbund. Felix smiles when he sees Mouth. Mouth sighs as he turns his back to Felix. Felix smiles and helps him.)

MOUTH: (Standing straight.) I feel stupid; going without a date.

FELIX: (Smiles) Events like these are loaded with emotionally vulnerable girls. Ripe for the picking. (Mouth looks ahead, unimpressed.) Some other sucker buys the flowers… and you pluck the petals.

MOUTH: (Laughs) I think petal-plucking is more your style.

FELIX: (Looks at him seriously.) What’s that supposed to mean?

MOUTH: (Uncomfortably) It means… I want something more with a girl.

FELIX: (Nodding) Yeah, well maybe I do too Mouth. (Mouth looks at him. Felix nudges him good heartedly.) Or not(!) (Laughs slightly.)

(Mouth smiles and shakes his head, Felix pats him on the back. Mouth continues to adjust his cummerbund.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton sits at her computer. She clicks a little and then searches her email folder. The search finishes, showing no new messages. Peyton sadly clicks one more time before turning her head to look at the picture she drew of Jake and Jenny at the dock before they left for Savannah.)

BROOKE: (Entering Peyton’s room.) Hey! (Takes her backpack off and puts it on Peyton’s bed before turning and looking at Peyton’s Formal dress, mouth open.) Oh, is this your dress? (Touches it.)

(It’s light green, a little frilly and made of silk.)

PEYTON: Yeah. It was my mom’s. She wore it to her Formal.

BROOKE: (Crosses her arms and walks to Peyton.) Ahhh, so your mom was wearing vintage in the eighties.

PEYTON: (Shrugging) No. (Laughs)

BROOKE: (Honestly) I know she would have loved to have seen you in it.

PEYTON: (Nods.) Thanks. (Pause) Well at least some part of her will be with me tonight. (Smiles)

BROOKE: (Nods) It’s gonna be a great night. Just the two of us.

(Peyton laughs. Anna knocks on the side of the doorframe.)

ANNA: Hey!

BROOKE: (Happiness slipping.) (To herself.) Or not(!) (Waves to Anna half-heartedly.)

PEYTON: (Explaining) Its Anna’s first Formal so… I thought maybe we could all get ready together.

(Anna walks in with her dress in plastic, draped across both arms.)

BROOKE: Cool.

ANNA: Besides, Felix is at home, hogging the mirror. (They all laugh.)

(Peyton sits on her bed. Anna puts her dress on the bed.)

ANNA: Um… I could use some help with my hair. (Walks to the mirror.) What do you think Lucas prefers? (Touches her hair. Brooke stands there, arms crossed.) Straight… or curly? (Both Peyton and Brooke approach the mirror and stand behind Anna – Brooke with her straight hair and Peyton with her curly.) (Compromising) Half and half?

(Anna squirms as Brooke and Peyton exchange a look.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Close-up of the laptop screen as the cursor clicks on the ‘CD Burner’ icon. The window comes up and ‘HALEYS_SONG’ is the disc name. The data begins to record and Nathan smiles as he watches it. The song starts to play.)

HALEY: #Dancing where the stars go blue,

Dancing –#

(Haley appears and turns the song off.)

HALEY: (Short of scolding.) Nathan(!)

NATHAN: Ha-Hales, come on, it sounded amazing!

HALEY: That is a work in progress and you have a habit of sending out things before they’re finished! (Nudges him.)

NATHAN: Well, you see how well that turned out. (Haley smiles.) And when… when did you find the time to record this?

HALEY: Oh just… when you were in Charlotte; over the weekend. (Starts to walk away before she remembers something and stops.) Oh… sh**t. Um… OK, so something’s come up. (Pause) Peyton wants me to play the next TRIC night… with… with Chris.

NATHAN: (Unhappily) Haley… come on, you don’t need that guy.

HALEY: He’s got connections and they’re gonna see me play and… it’s just really important that I rehearse with him. (Deep breath.) Starting tonight.

NATHAN: (Looks at her.) Hales(!)

HALEY: Well, come on, I’m just gonna be a little bit late. We won’t miss anything. I promise. OK? Promise.

(She walks into the bedroom. Nathan watches her and the looks down at the computer screen. It says ‘DATA SUCCESSFULLY RECORDED TO DISK’. He presses exit and then takes the disc out, smiling.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Anna puts some lip gloss on her lips as Peyton watches.)

ANNA: So… whaddaya think? Do I like it?

PEYTON: You love it! (Grabs the gloss and walks to her bag.) And… it’s gonna be in here, you know, just in case you need a post-Lucas touch-up.

ANNA: (Gasps) Stop it(!) (Smiles at Peyton.) By the way, your room is… incredible.

PEYTON: Ah, thank you. (Peyton looks at Jake and Jenny. Anna does too.)

ANNA: So… (Pointing to the picture.) who’s that?

PEYTON: Oh, that’s uh… that’s Jake and Jenny. Or at least it was. They… had to move away.

ANNA: Do you… keep in touch?

PEYTON: No, not really. (Pause) I mean, I’ve rung him a couple of times but he hasn’t responded so… I guess he has his reasons. (Bites her lip.)

(Anna smiles.)

BROOKE: (o.s) OK. (Walks in, slightly conserved.) If you were a guy, would this dress do it for you?

PEYTON: You look awesome.

ANNA: Yeah!

PEYTON: Spin! (Circles with her hand.)

(Brooke spins, stops and smiles.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – ‘DREAMS DO COME TRUE’ FORMAL – EVENING]

(Mouth stands outside, looking at his watch. Lucas and Anna approach him.)

ANNA: (Reading) ‘Dreams… Do Come True’. (Looks at Lucas.)

LUCAS: Well… (Looking at his ticket.) One per ticket.

ANNA: Then I’ll be careful what I wish for.

(They reach Mouth.)

LUCAS: Mouth, you coming?

MOUTH: Ah, in a sec. Felix told me to wait five minutes before going in so we don’t look like a couple.

LUCAS: Come on.

(They open the curtains and walk into the Formal. There are lots of tiny lights everywhere, over bushes and an Eiffel Tower replica. Food is laid out on tables and the lights are very dim. Anna looks at it all and smiles, awed.)

(Lucas holds out his hand, Anna accepts and they walk into the crowd. People are around, dancing, sitting and enjoying themselves. Lucas pulls out a chair for Anna.)

ANNA: (Puts her ticket on the table and pulls up her skirts.) Thank you. (Sits down.)

BROOKE: OK, let’s get a table and do a laugh. (Brooke and Peyton stand there. Peyton has styled her hair in the same fashion as the eighties.)

PEYTON: Oh, Anna’s saving us seats at her table.

BROOKE: (Pause) That’ll be cosy. Do you forget who she’s here with? Do you wanna sit with him?

PEYTON: We’re gonna have to if we’re hanging out with Anna!

BROOKE: Keep this up P. S. and I might just get jealous(!)

PEYTON: Get? (Makes a face.)

(Felix and Mouth stop in front of Brooke.)

BROOKE: (Looking at Mouth.) Wow, look at you Mouth. Looking like James Bond

MOUTH: (Happily) Thanks! But I feel more like I’m about to pull a rabbit out of something. (Peyton laughs.)

(A song begins to play.)

BROOKE: (Turning to the music.) Well, first dance of the night goes to… (Grabs Mouth’s front.) Double-o-seven. (To Peyton.) Thank you(!)

(Peyton waves at them. She’s left standing there with Felix.)

(Camera focuses on a blue curtain with silver, paper, stars stuck to it. Pan to people dancing a slow one. The camera stops on Anna and Lucas.)

ANNA: I’m really glad we did this.

LUCAS: (Smiles) Me too.

(Camera pans to Brooke and Mouth.)

BROOKE: (Complaining) I mean I like Anna enough and all… but I feel like I just got my friend back and now somebody’s horning in on her and I don’t feel like I should have to share her! Know what I mean?

MOUTH: I know exactly what you mean.

BROOKE: That’s why I love you Mouth; you totally get me. You’re not like the rest of the guys here.

MOUTH: Thanks. (Pause) But, sometimes I wish I was like all the other guys. (Brooke silently asks why.) They have dates. (Smiles)

BROOKE: Are you kidding?! Girls totally fall for the sensitive guy. Look at Felix; none of his lame lines did anything for me, but what did… was when I got wasted at TRIC and he took me home and took care of me.

(Mouth is hurt by this blatant lie that Felix obviously told.)

(Pan to Peyton sitting at a table, alone and looking depressed. Felix sits down next to her.)

FELIX: You don’t approve of me with Brooke do you?

PEYTON: (Refuses to look at him.) ‘Friends with Benefits’ is crap and you know it.

FELIX: (Smirks) Wow. Hard to believe you don’t have a date.

PEYTON: (Finally faces him.) I’m here with Brooke.

FELIX: Yeah… but at the end of the night… I’ll be with Brooke. Who will you be with?

(Felix smiles and gets up. Peyton just stares at the space he was sitting.)

HALEY: (v.o) #Where do you go when you’re lonely,

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – EVENING]

(Chris stands and watches Haley sing.)

HALEY: (o.s) Where do you go when the stars go blue.#

(Haley stops singing and takes the earphones off, looking unsure of the reaction she’ll receive. Chris stands and enters the recording booth, leaning against the doorjamb and watching her.)

HALEY: (Messing with her hair.) What?!

CHRIS: Nothing, it’s fine.

HALEY: OK, are you sure?

CHRIS: Yeah. The only problem is… you know… labels don’t spend millions of dollars promoting fine. Radio stations don’t put fine into their rotation. (Haley pulls her hair back.) So record execs aren’t gonna come see fine, Haley.

HALEY: I thought you said you had interest(!)

CHRIS: I do, and if I had a great demo I can get them to come to TRIC… but right now the demo’s not great Haley. (Pause) It’s just… fine.

HALEY: (Shrugs) Well… I don’t know, maybe we can just pick it up tomorrow. I’ve gotta go!

CHRIS: Oh, sure… well that’s fine. (Exits the booth.)

(Haley’s phone rings and she answers it.)

HALEY: Oh hey sweetie, I’m sorry. This is taking a lot longer than I expected.

(Cut to Nathan standing outside of the apartment with a corsage in one hand and his phone in the other.)

NATHAN: Well how much longer?

(Cut back to the booth. Haley looks at Chris, upset.)

HALEY: Why don’t you go ahead and I will meet you there not a second later than eight-thirty.

(Cut back to Nathan.)

NATHAN: Haley?!

HALEY: (Through the phone.) I’m sorry(!) What’s the big deal, I mean, so we miss a few minutes, you didn’t wanna go anyway, right?

(Cut back to Nathan.)

NATHAN: (Not happy.) OK. Alright, I’ll see you there.

HALEY: OK, love you. (Smiles sadly and hangs up the phone.)

(Cut back to Nathan. He hangs up the phone and then walks up to a man in a horse-drawn carriage with lights decorating it.)

NATHAN: Sorry, uh… you go ahead and take off. I’m not gonna need you after all.

(He gives the man some money. Nathan sighs and the horse clomps away.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Nathan walks in, corsage still in his hands. He looks around. Tim walks up to him.)

TIM: (Nudges him.) Bout time you showed up! Where’s the whip and chain?

NATHAN: Ball and chain Tim. She’ll be here. (Leaves Tim behind as he walks off.)

TIM: (Persistently follows.) Whatever, so how long we gotta hang here until operation ‘Reets the Beach’.

NATHAN: Until you finish operation ‘What the Hell Are You Talking About?’.

TIM: The party man. Your parents beach house?

NATHAN: You gotta get the key first. Remember the plan?

TIM: You know it! (Looks behind.) Uh-oh (Hisses) Phoenix and Psycho… (looks back again for a second.) on your twenty.

NATHAN: (Looks around.) Tim… just say my parents are here. (Faces them as they approach.)

DEB: (Nodding at her son.) Nathan. Hi Tim. You two look very handsome. (Tim smiles widely.)

NATHAN: Thanks mom. (Dan stares.) Dad.

DAN: Nice corsage. Where’s the girl to go with it?

NATHAN: Haley’s… recording some music right now. She’ll be here soon.

DEB: Well I’m… I’m sure she’s making an effort.

NATHAN: Which means that my first dance is with you. (Smiles at his mom.)

DEB: (Happy) I’d be delighted.

(Deb gives her bag to Dan and Nathan gives the corsage to Tim. Deb takes Nathan’s arm and leads him onto the dance floor. Tim walks up to Dan and looks at him.)

DAN: (Looks sideways.) Don’t ask me to dance, Tim. (Walks away.)

(Tim continues to watch him.)

(Mouth walks up behind Felix as he’s getting some punch and forces him around by the shoulder.)

FELIX: (Stunned) Mouth?! What the hell?

MOUTH: That’s what I wanna know. (Pause) You told Brooke you were the one that got her home the night of the TRIC opening.

FELIX: So? (Shrugs) you took first shift, I was the closer. What difference does it make?

MOUTH: Why would you do that?

FELIX: (Looks around before speaking quietly.) The same reason I gave you the money for the dollhouse.

MOUTH: So, what? You’re saying you’re really into her?

FELIX: It’s like you said Mouth; (Pause) I want more too. (Pause) With Brooke.

(Felix walks away, leaving behind an extremely hurt Mouth. The camera zooms out slowly.)

(Nathan is dancing with Deb.)

DEB: You know, I-I… I always thought I’d have the first dance at your wedding.

(Nathan looks at him mom.)

DEB: Sorry(!) I’m not here to give you grief, I just… I wanna make sure you’re happy.

(Nathan looks at Tim who is desperately going through Deb’s purse.)

NATHAN: When’s the last time you were happy mom?

DEB: When we were a family. And taking sh*ts at me won’t (Nathan sighs loudly.) make Haley get here any faster.

(Nathan looks at Tim taking things out of Deb’s purse.)

DEB: I-I don’t get it Nathan, I-I try to show some concern… and all I get is attitude. (Looks at him.) And Haley abandons you at your Formal (Tim holds the keys to the beach house up.) and she gets a pass?

NATHAN: (Pointing at Tim.) Yes!

DEB: What?(!)

NATHAN: Whatever. Uh… thanks for the dance, mom. (Makes to move away.)

DEB: The song is not over Nathan.

NATHAN: Yeah but… the dance is. (Looks at her for a b*at before he walks away.)

(Deb watches him sadly.)

FADE TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING BOOTH – EVENING]

(Haley’s sings.)

HALEY: (Her eyes are closed.) #Glow when the stars go blue.#

(She smiles at Chris.)

HALEY: That was good! (Takes the earphone off.)

CHRIS: (Presses a button and his voice echoes in the room.) That sounded better.

HALEY: Better than good?

CHRIS: Well, better than crap.

HALEY: Oh, that’s nice, that’s what I think I’ll name my first album; ‘Better than Crap’. (They smile.)

CHRIS: (Smiling) Nah, it sounded good. (Nods)

HALEY: (Looks at the clock and her smile drops.) Is that clock right?

CHRIS: (Looking at the clock.) Uh, no, I unplugged it.

HALEY: You what?!

CHRIS: You were (Makes an inch of space between his index finger and thumb.) that close to nailing it.

HALEY: (Appalled) What time is it?!

CHRIS: Nine and change.

HALEY: Oh my god! I can not believe you did that. Nathan is gonna k*ll me!

CHRIS: No, just play him the track. He’ll understand.

HALEY: No, trust me, he won’t. (Slings her bag over her shoulder and walks out.)

(Chris looks at her.)

CUT TO:

(Felix is sitting at a table by himself. Brooke walks up to him.)

BROOKE: Having fun yet?

FELIX: (Smiles up at her.) Depends. (She raises an eyebrow.) Will I see you later?

BROOKE: (Shrugs a shoulder.) Maybe I’ll have a couple of drinks and let you rescue me again. (She walks away.)

(Mouth is watching from the side, frowning. He turns and leaves just after Brooke does.)

(Anna walks up to Tim who is sitting alone at his own table.)

ANNA: Hey, have you seen Peyton?

TIM: Yeah, she’s looking pretty fine.

ANNA: (Laughs nervously.) No, I need to borrow her lipstick. Which one’s her purse?

TIM: Oh, it’s the fake findy baguette… (Anna looks pointedly.) I mean, I guess. (Gets up and leaves.)

(Anna laughs as she goes into Peyton’s purse. She finds the dr*gs quite easily and just stares at it. Unhappily, she looks around at the people and puts the dr*gs back.)

(Nathan stands around, still holding the corsage and waiting for Haley. Tim comes up to him with a flask.)

TIM: Hey Nate, you mind standing watch?

NATHAN: Watch what, you mean the lightweight (Looks down at Tim’s flask.) or the flask. (Continues to looks around.)

TIM: (Laughs) I just thought like… with Haley.

NATHAN: D’ya see her here? (Takes a swig from the flask.)

(All the guys cheer.)

(Lucas is pouring himself some punch when Dan walks up behind him.)

DAN: (To someone off-screen.) I’ll have what he’s having. (Points to Lucas.)

(Lucas turns his head to look at him.)

DAN: Say a… death wish isn’t it?

(Lucas drops the punch ladle.)

LUCAS: (Miffed) I can pretend to know what you’re talking about, (Shaking his head.) or you can just tell me.

DAN: My cardiologist told me you backed out of your HCM test.

LUCAS: (Caught) Better than lying about the results. (Smiles slightly as he drinks.)

DAN: And what does that mean?

LUCAS: Your doc told me you aced the test. Guess you were… planning on keeping that to yourself.

DAN: (Smiles) Alright, I deserved that. (Pause) But I lied because I’m trying to get my wife back and I can’t do that if I’m not in her life.

LUCAS: (Not buying it but humouring him.) Sounds like a good way to rationalise… but even though you can blow the lines, it’s still a lie and you don’t lie to the people you love.

DAN: Is that right? (Lucas nods.) Well then tell me something – does you mom know? That you backed out of your heart test? Or is that part kind of blurry?

(Dan walks away and Lucas turns slightly, torn.)

(Peyton and Anna sit at a table.)

ANNA: Can I talk to you?

PEYTON: Yeah, what’s up?

(The camera moves and we see that they are not alone. Felix is there too.)

FELIX: Hey, no secrets… unless they’re juicy(!) (Peyton looks at Anna.) I guess I’m not used to seeing my little sis… in anything other than a Catholic school uniform. (Anna glares at him.)

PEYTON: I think she looks gorgeous. (She touches Anna’s hair innocently. Anna smiles her thanks.)

FELIX: Wow, I didn’t know this was a lesbian mixer. (Felix, Tim and some other guys laugh.)

ANNA: (Smile drops.) Yeah! (Shoves Peyton’s hand away.) Don’t be so gay Peyton.

(Peyton looks at her open-mouthed. People, including Felix, get up and walk onto the dance floor as the music begins playing. Anna’s a little uncomfortable as she looks up slightly. Lucas approaches their table and holds his hand out to Anna. Peyton is still sitting there dumbfounded.)

LUCAS: Care to dance?

(Anna takes his hand and they walk away. Peyton is left sitting there, alone again. She watches people dance and looks on sadly.)

(Brooke is standing near the DJ. Felix stops in front of her and holds out his arm. She smiles and links with him. They walk away. Peyton looks down at her bag.)

(Karen is in the ladies, touching her hair up in front of the mirror. Peyton walks in.)

KAREN: (Spotting her.) Peyton!

(Peyton stops and turns to her.)

KAREN: (Sees Peyton’s expression.) Oh no. Bad night?

PEYTON: (Obviously sad.) No, um… I’m OK. It’s just…

KAREN: Not exactly a ‘Dream Come True’?

PEYTON: (Smiles and all but whispers.) Yeah.

KAREN: (Smiles) Well it could be worse. My Formal, I went with Dan(!) (Laughs) (Peyton smiles tearfully.) Well there’s a smile. (Peyton nods, almost crying.) Now come on, get out there and have some fun. You… (Looks down.) can’t let a stunning dress like that go to waste.

PEYTON: (Looks down.) Thanks, it was my mom’s.

(Karen looks at her, lost for words. Peyton is on the verge of crying her heart out and Karen finally realises. Karen gasps.)

KAREN: (Hugs her, whispering) Oh Peyton(!) Oh(!)

(Peyton hugs her.)

KAREN: You know. (Lets go of Peyton.) I don’t know what it’s like to have a daughter… but I do know what it’s like to be a mother and… yours would be so proud of the woman you’ve become. (Puts a hand to her cheek. Peyton cries a little.) Oh, I didn’t mean to go make you sad. (Wipes a tear off her cheek.)

PEYTON: No, no. Um… I’m gonna be fine. (Nods and sniffs.)

KAREN: I know you are. (Peyton looks at Karen with very red eyes.) (Sincerely) I know you are.

(Peyton smiles and looks down. Karen leaves the toilets.)

CUT TO:

BROOKE: (o.s) Excuse me. (Brooke appears, about to exit the Formal.)

MOUTH: Brooke! (Mouth dislodges himself from the crowd and hurries to catch up with her.)

(Brooke stops and turns.)

MOUTH: I need to talk to you.

BROOKE: Um… can it wait, just a second? Cos I’m running to the ladies.

MOUTH: (Ploughing on.) I didn’t buy your dollhouse.

BROOKE: (Smile changes to a look of confusion.) So what, you stole it? (Playing) Why Mr Bond, you are a scoundrel(!)

MOUTH: Felix bought it. (Brooke’s smiles fades.) He just wanted me to say I did so he wouldn’t break your stupid rules. (Brooke looks for a b*at before looks down with a disbelieving sigh.) And after the club opening I’m the one who took you home(!) I took care of you, not Felix, me(!) And I did it because I-

BROOKE: (Interrupting him, angry and hurt.) So you both lied to me?(!)

MOUTH: Brooke–

BROOKE: Mouth, I can not believe you, I thought we were friends! (Mouth is lost.) Guess I was wrong(!) (She turns and walks a few steps before turning back.) Oh, and by the way, congratulations, you got your wish because you are just like every other guy!

(Mouth stares after her, miserable. He turns and walks away.)

(Lucas stops in front of Dan.)

LUCAS: So I guess you’re gonna tell my mom about me not taking that test right?

DAN: (Smiles, laughs and turns his head for a second.) Don’t worry Lucas, your secrets safe with me. (Holds his hand out. Lucas shakes it, nodding his thanks. Dan pulls him slightly closer.) For now(!) Cos I’m not gonna tell your mother, you are. (Lucas looks at him, face set.) I know you Lucas; you’ll do the right thing. (Nods)

(Karen stands on the stage, in front of the microphone.)

KAREN: Alright, if I could have your attention please!

(Everyone stops and turns to look at the stage.)

NATHAN: (On the phone, slightly pissed.) Call me back as soon as you get this Hales.

KAREN: (In the background.) Everybody, if you could gather around.

NATHAN: I’m starting to freak out a little bit.

KAREN: The votes are in for Tree Hill High’s king and queen. (She smiles. Haley walks in, desperately searching for Nathan.) As you know, over the last week, the student (Nathan sees her.) body was asked to cast a vote for one king and one queen.

HALEY: (Over Karen talking.) Nathan! I’m so sorry I’m late. I just…

NATHAN: Come on, come on we gotta hurry, we gotta hurry. (Takes the corsage out and attempt to pin it on her.)

HALEY: Clock at the studio stopped and… (The pin pokes her.) ow! (Looks at him closely.) Have you been drinking?

NATHAN: Just a little bit. (Mumbles the rest.)

KAREN: (o.s) This years, Tree Hill High, (Cut back to Karen.) king and queen are… Nathan and Haley Scott!

(Haley looks at the stage, dumbfounded. Nathan smiles. Haley turns back to him, overjoyed, and kisses him. They walk to the front. Her song starts to play. Haley smiles at the people congratulating her before the song clicks and her smile vanishes.)

HALEY: Nathan!

NATHAN: Surprise(!)

HALEY: But this-

NATHAN: Come on, come on.

HALEY: I told you, this song isn’t ready yet!

NATHAN: I know, but you’re too critical. Everyone’s gonna love it.

(They get onto the stage.)

NATHAN: (Smiling) I told the DJ to play it if you won.

(Haley looks up, waiting for what she knows is coming.)

NATHAN: (Holding her hand.) This is your night Hales. I want it to be perfect.

(Karen puts the tiara on top of Haley’s head. Chris’ part comes on and he starts to sing. Nathan freezes as Karen puts the crown on his head.)

NATHAN: Wait, is that… is that Chris? (Haley moves some hair out of her face as she smiles guiltily at the crowd. She looks at him uncomfortably.) You told me that I was in Charlotte when you recorded this. (Pause) You were with Chris then and you didn’t tell me? (He’s hurt by her lies.)

HALEY: (Speechless) Nathan, I was going to tell you, I swear. (Nathan looks forward, disbelieving.)

NATHAN: (The camera zooms out slowly.) Yeah? You’re a little late. (Sighs.) For the second time tonight.

(Camera continues to zoom out as the tension between Nathan and Haley grows. Chris’ voice comes out over the speaker, loud and clear.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERICAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – THE DOCK – EVENING]

(A lot of laughter and noise is heard as the camera pans down to the beach house and then the dock.)

(Nathan walks up the dock to Haley who stands there, looking over the edge and out at the sea.)

NATHAN: (Pissed) You know, I’m having a hard time getting my head around how you could be pissed at me(!)

HALEY: (Turning to him.) Because you deliberately did something I asked you not to!

NATHAN: Whatever! I spent the whole night waiting for you; planning everything, dodging my parents… all while you were with Chris!

HALEY: (Angry) Can we leave him out of this please?

NATHAN: Why? Are you into him?

HALEY: (Tearfully) You know what, it really hurts me that you even have to ask me that.

NATHAN: (b*at) Not as much as it hurts me.

(Nathan turns and walks back to the house. The camera stays on Haley who watches his departure before turning back to looking at the sea, sighing. She looks back at him one more time.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE BEACH HOUSE – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas opens the door and enters. Anna is inside, standing by a window, drinking. Lucas closes the door and walks further into the room, a smile on his face. He approaches Anna, hands in his pockets.)

LUCAS: Still drinking?

ANNA: (Twirling the empty cup.) Not anymore(!) (Laughs drunkenly.)

(Lucas laughs a bit and she practically att*cks him, kissing him.)

LUCAS: (Breaking off.) Woah!

(Anna laughs and walks to the side of the bed. Still standing, she drops one shoulder strap.)

ANNA: Make sure the door’s locked OK?

(Lucas walks forward as she tries to undo her dress from the back. He stops in front of her, sighing slightly. He smiles kindly as he pulls her dress strap back up.)

LUCAS: We don’t have to rush this.

ANNA: (Trying to fight off the embarrassment.) I don’t understand. Aren’t you into me?

LUCAS: Oh, of course I am. (He pauses before trying to explain.) I just promised myself that… I’d be in love next time. (Anna averts her eyes.) And… I’d really get to know the person first. And we’re still doing that. And I love… where it’s going… but I’m… (Shakes his head.) just not ready. Anna, not yet.

(Anna nods and sits on the bed.)

ANNA: I’m such an idiot(!)

LUCAS: (Sitting next to her.) Don’t say that. (Looks at her for a moment before continuing.) Look, Anna, (Pause) my parents rushed into things… look how badly I turned out. (They smile. Look, I just… I wanna make sure that this is right. (Anna nods.) You know? (He nudges her.)

ANNA: (Smiling) I’m sorry. I am so embarrassed.

LUCAS: Hey… (Puts his arm around her.) don’t be.

ANNA: No, I know I’ve been sending you mixed signals. (Shakes her head.) First I’m telling you to go slow and then I’m… taking my dress off. I don’t know what I’m doing.

LUCAS: (b*at) I do. (He stands.) We’re going for a walk on the beach. (Smiles) Come on.

ANNA: (Stands) Thank you Lucas but… I think I just wanna… go home.

(Lucas looks at her for a long times before nodding.)

LUCAS: OK. I’ll take you.

ANNA: No! (With difficulty.) It’s not you, it’s just… (Sighs) I’m all over the place and I just need to… clear my head. (Pause) I’m sorry.

(Anna walks away miserably and Lucas watches her, knowing that he’s hurt her.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – PORCH – EVENING]

(Brooke steps up to Felix who is chatting with someone. She puts her hand on his shoulder.)

BROOKE: (Quietly) Hey. (She inclines her head towards the house.)

(Smiling, Felix walks with her. Mouth watches them, saddened. Peyton comes up behind Mouth, looking for someone.)

PEYTON: Oh, hey Mouth, have you seen Brooke?

MOUTH: Yeah, she’s um… ‘Benefiting’ with Felix. (Grabs a bottle off the table and walks out onto the beach.)

(Peyton watches him and then starts to walk towards the house. Somebody walks straight into her and spills red wine all over her mother’s Formal dress.)

PEYTON: (Disbelieving) Oh my god(!)

GUY: I’m sorry.

(Peyton excuses him with a wave of her hand and he leaves. She touches the stain, dejectedly.)

(Brooke opens a door and she and Felix walk into a bedroom.)

FELIX: (Closes the door and follows her further into the room.) I was wondering when you were gonna share the love.

BROOKE: (Stops and turns to him.) There is no love(!) (Pause) We don’t do love. Do you know why?

FELIX: Cos it’s against the rules. But I wanna talk to you about that Brooke because-

BROOKE: (Interrupting.) You paid for my dollhouse? (Pain evident.) Oh, and then you lied to me; about taking me home that night after TRIC(!) (Waits)

FELIX: Brooke I-

BROOKE: Don’t! (Pause) I almost believed you were a decent guy; somebody that could care about me but you know what? I have been lied to before, Felix, and it almost k*lled me(!)

(She glares at him and walks past him)

FELIX: (Turning) Brooke(!) (She turns.) I’m not like Lucas.

BROOKE; No, you’re not. You know why? Because I am not gonna let you in(!) You don’t get to have me; not my body and sure as hell not my heart! (Pause) We’re done!

(Shuts the door behind her. Close-up of Felix’s sad face.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BATHROOM – EVENING]

(Scrubbing and crying is heard as the camera pans up to show Peyton in her bathroom, at her sink, scrubbing the dress fiercely. The water runs and she continues to cry. She uses a toothbrush to try and get the stain off but it’s not working. The stain stays there.)

PEYTON: (Crying) Please!

(She turns the tap off and after a few more scrubs, forcefully chucks the toothbrush into the sink. She uses the sink for support, looking at the stain before throwing the dress behind her.)

(Peyton opens her purse and rummages through it, finding the dr*gs and throws the purse aside. She opens it and pours it out onto a CD while separating it with another CD. She cries while looking at it, seeing her face reflected back at her. There’s a seconds pause before she throws it against the wall and collapses against the sink, crying more.)

PEYTON: GOD! (Breaks down.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – PORCH – EVENING]

(Nathan stands against the wooden rails, looking into his drink. The beach house is now empty. Haley comes to a stop next to him, hands on her hips, still lost for words. Nathan sees her but looks away.)

HALEY: Listen, I want you to know something; I don’t have feelings for Chris, OK? (Nathan nods slightly.) The only reason I didn’t tell you about that song is because… I know you don’t like him. (Trying to explain.) I don’t get you Nathan, you know, you encourage me to do this music thing and than… now that Chris is involved you just-

NATHAN: You don’t need that guy, Haley!

HALEY: He helps me(!) (Nathan sighs.) You don’t need to feel threatened by that.

NATHAN: You think I’m threatened?

HALEY: (Pause) I know it must be hard for you; seeing me have something like this when you didn’t get into basketball camp but… (Nathan turns away.) it’s just not fair for you to take it out on me(!)

NATHAN: I’ll tell you what Haley; (Pause) Go home… and look in my top drawer. You’ll see a letter, from High Flyers. Read that… then talk to me about fair(!)

(He looks at her before walking past her. Haley sighs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Close-up of the picture of Jake and Jenny as it is ripped in half. Peyton puts them together and then drops them next to her on the bed. She sits with her arms on her knees, staring into nothing. She rubs her eyes. The camera pans around her to show the doorway and Anna appears.)

ANNA: (Smiling) Rough night?

PEYTON: (Nods) Yeah, you could say that.

ANNA: (Pause) Peyton, I’m sorry for what I said to you earlier. Everybody was laughing and… (Sighs) I don’t know what came over me.

PEYTON: Don’t worry about it.

ANNA: No, I do worry about it! We just started to be friends and… I blow it!

PEYTON: It’s OK… Anna, we all do stupid things. (Pause) I’ve… done my fair share.

ANNA: (Cautiously) Peyton, at Haley’s slumber party, you said you wanted to be able to talk about anything. (Peyton looks at her and nods.) Well… I went into your purse, earlier, to borrow your lipstick and…

PEYTON: It’s OK, Anna; I already flushed it down the toilet. I’ve only done it that one time. I’ve just… (Breathes deeply.) been fighting it. (Nods)

(Anna hesitates before sitting on the bed.)

ANNA: (Picks up the torn picture of Jake and Jenny.) Does it have anything to do with this?

PEYTON: (Looks at it.) Yeah, that and everything else.

ANNA: I know what you mean. (Pause) I made a fool of myself with Lucas tonight. Why do relationships have to be so hard?

PEYTON: (b*at) Because the only thing harder is being alone. (Anna looks down.) Look, you can crash here tonight if you want to.

ANNA: Are you sure?

PEYTON: (Nods) Yeah. It’s nice to have some company.

(Peyton lies down on the bed properly. Anna puts the ripped picture on the bedside table and does the same.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – EVENING]

(Brooke sits on the beach, alone and lonely. Lucas walks up to her from in front, hands in pockets.)

LUCAS: Is this beach taken?

BROOKE: There’s plenty to go around.

LUCAS: (Groans as he sits.) Don’t worry; I’m not gonna ask you if you’re OK.

BROOKE: Thanks.

LUCAS: (Sighs) (Pause) Know any good jokes?

BROOKE: (Laughs miserably) …You’re looking at one. (Lucas just looks at her.) Why does everybody lie? You know, the bad guys lie to get in your bed… and the good guys… lie to get in your heart(!) (Looks at him pointedly. Lucas turns away.) And I’m the idiot that falls for it every time(!)

LUCAS: (Softly) Hey… Brooke, you are not an idiot. Not even close. You know who you are. Most people don’t, you know. I mean, that’s why they lie. (Pause) They’re afraid people might find out who they are before they figure it out themselves. (He nods.)

(Brooke looks at him and smiles.)

LUCAS: (After a long pause.) Let me take you home.

BROOKE: (Defensively) I can get home without a guy, thanks.

LUCAS: (Smiles and nods.) OK. (Stands up and starts to leave.)

BROOKE: Wait(!) (Lucas looks at her.) I really don’t wanna walk.

(She looks at him before turning to get her bag. Lucas holds out his hand. Brooke looks at it for a b*at, stunned, before accepting it and letting him help her up. They walk off-screen.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – EST sh*t – DAWN]

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – STAIRS – DAWN]

(Dan walks down the stairs with packed bags and puts them in front of the door. Deb sees him and drops what she’s doing, confronting him.)

DEB: Dan?

DAN: (Drops his bags and faces her.) I’m going back to the beach house. I lied to you Deb; bout the stress test. (Pause) The truth is; I passed. But I lied so that I could keep you near me. (Deb just looks at him, hurt and speechless.) (He sighs and leans against the door.) After the meteor shower, I saw that you were slipping away from me… and my family was slipping away. And I know now that… nothing’s worth having that’s based on a lie. You deserve your freedom Deb and in spite of all that’s happened… I still do love you. (Turns and reaches for his bags.)

(He picks them up and opens the door.)

DEB: (Calmly) Wait(!)

(Dan stops and waits but he doesn’t turn to her.)

DEB: You say you want our family to be together again; so do I Dan. But damn you if you’re lying; because my heart can’t take much more(!)

DAN: (Pause) Neither can mine.

(Deb walks forward and closes the door. They look at each other. The sh*t goes blurry.)

FADE IN:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAWN]

(Haley rips open the letter from High Flyers. She opens it viciously and reads it. She cries as she reads further. It is a letter from the High Flyer director; Milt West, saying how sorry they are that he turned down the offer.)

(Haley folds the letter back up and picks the phone up, calling Nathan. The sh*t blurs out.)

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE BEACH HOUSE – DAWN]

(Nathan sits on the wooden rails out on the beach as his phone rings. Paper cups litter the railings. He ignores it for a while, looking out at the sea, before taking the phone out and looking at the screen. He frowns before cancelling the call.)

(He gets off the rails and walks back to the beach house. The camera pans up to the dark, stormy clouds.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAWN]

(The blurry sh*t focuses on Peyton, in bed, wide awake. She’s thinking and sh**t a look at Anna. Anna is also awake.)

PEYTON: So, do you miss being in your old town?

ANNA: (Pause) No. (Shakes her head.) The thing about moving so many times, it’s not the new places that are so bad; it’s like… not matter where you end up, it’s hard to be yourself when you get there.

(Peyton doesn’t answer; she just lies there and looks at a space in her room.)

(The sh*t blurs out.)

FADE IN:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – DRIVEWAY – DAY]

(Lucas pulls up in front of Brooke’s house.)

BROOKE: So, thanks for breakfast. (Smiles) We should do this more often.

LUCAS: Do what?

BROOKE: (Shrugs) Be friends.

LUCAS: (Smiling) We are friends.

BROOKE: But we should be friends.

LUCAS: (Nodding) I’d like that.

BROOKE: (Smiles and nods.) But no benefits(!)

(Lucas laughs and Brooke gets out of the car, smiling at him. sh*t of Felix in his bedroom, looking out of the window, spying on their exchange. He draws the net curtains and looks into his dark room for a second before walking off-screen.)