02x11 - The Heart Brings You Back

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x11 - The Heart Brings You Back

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[INT. JAKE’S HOUSE – JENNY’S ROOM – DAY]

(Peyton sits on a recliner, holding Jenny as Jake tucks her things away.)

PEYTON: (Looking at Jenny but addressing Jake.) I’ve got a way for you to leave but you’ve gotta go in the morning.

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE DOCK – DAY]

(Jake stands at the edge of the pier, Jenny strapped to his front. He waves goodbye.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ANNA AND FELIX’S HOUSE – DOORSTEP – EVENING]

(Lucas stands at the doorway. Anna has the door open, listening to him.)

LUCAS: Hey(!)

ANNA: What’s wrong?

LUCAS: You know how much I care about you… Anna.

(Anna smiles.)

LUCAS: But there’s somebody else.

(Off Anna’s look of despair.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL - STREETS – EVENING]

(Rick holds up a pouch of dr*gs to Peyton. Peyton glances around, shiftily, guilt written all over her face.)

RICK: Is this what you’re after?

(Peyton reaches for it but Rick pulls it back. Shocked, she looks up and stops.)

(Jake steps forward, not smiling.)

PEYTON: (To herself.) Jake(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Karen has just let Deb into the kitchen.)

DEB: I lied to you.

(Off Karen’s dubious expression.)

DEB: I slept with Keith.

CUT TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Keith walks while he talks on the phone.)

KEITH: Hey, Jules, it’s Keith.

CUT TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Keith continues talking but we hear it through Jules’ phone.)

KEITH: (Through the phone.) I just realised something and I had to say it.

CUT TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

KEITH: (Into the phone, smiling.) I love you.

CUT TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Jules sits on her sofa, upset.)

DAN: (o.s) Nice work, Jules. (Cut to Dan as he raises his glass.) Just like we planned.

CHRIS: (v.o) Haley,-

CUT TO:

[EXT. NEW BRUNSWICK COUNTY TRANSIT AUTHORITY – EVENING]

(Chris smiles as he sees Haley approach. She’s looking down and clearly upset.)

CHRIS: -you owe it to your music(!) You owe it to yourself(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – EVENING]

(Chris is standing there, trying to convince Haley to leave with him.)

CHRIS: Your dreams are a bus ride away.

CUT TO:

(Haley looks up at him sadly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke is sitting on her bed, crying. Felix is behind her.)

FELIX: I know it’s scary… but just tell me if you can show me your heart.

(Fade to Brooke looking at him.)

FELIX: (v.o) If you do,-

(Fade to Brooke and Felix kissing while Lucas appears in the doorway.)

FELIX: -I’ll guard it with my life.

(sh*t of Lucas’ heartbroken face.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

‘ONE TREE HILL’ TITLE WITH LUCAS BOUNCING A BALL ACROSS THE BRIDGE:

FADE TO BLACK:

FADE IN:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke and Felix are still kissing. The camera pans to Lucas standing and watching the pair. Thunder rumbles overhead.)

(Close up of Lucas slowly stepping back.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Tennessee Williams once wrote… (Turns around and walks away slowly.) When so many are lonely… as seem to be lonely, (It starts to pour down with rain.) it would be inexcusably selfish… (Lucas stops and lets it rain down on him.) to be lonely alone.

(Birdseye view of it raining on Lucas. He walks away.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – WINDOW – EVENING]

(More thunder rumbles overhead and rain lashes the windows. We can see Nathan through the window, sitting at the table, watching the rain and wondering where his wife is. He sighs, blows the candles out and gets up.)

CUT TO:

[INT. BUS TO NEW YORK – EVENING]

(Haley sits on the bus with Chris, looking around nervously. Chris looks at her and smiles.)

HALEY: I don’t even have a toothbrush(!)

CHRIS: (Grinning) I think they have those in New York.

HALEY: (Smiles nervously.) I can’t believe I’m doing this. (Her smile falls.)

CHRIS: You did good married girl.

(Haley stares.)

FASH TO:

(Haley breaks off her kiss with Chris looking stricken at the daydream.)

HALEY: (With certainty.) I can’t do this.

(Chris is disappointed. Haley pushes her hand through her hair.)

HALEY: I’m sorry.

CHRIS: (Hurt) Yeah, I figured.

(Haley watches him as he slings his bag over his shoulder, picks up his guitar case and looks at her.)

CHRIS: You’re not ready.

(He turns away and walks to the bus. Haley closes her eyes and Chris gets on. The doors close behind him.)

(He takes his seat and they look at each other through the window. Thunder rumbles and it starts to pour. He looks at Haley one last time before the bus turns and cuts off their view from each other. Haley watches him sadly.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE (STOCK) – EVENING]

(It’s raining.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Karen just stares at Deb.)

DEB: I’m sorry, Karen. (Pause) I should have told you about Keith, I-

KAREN: (Cuts her off.) I think you should go. (Looks at Deb stonily.)

(Deb doesn’t argue. Karen opens the door, saying quite clearly ‘get out’ while staring daggers at Deb.)

(Deb walks slowly at first but runs when she sees the rain. It soaks her. Karen’s angry façade drops and she closes the door miserably.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Nathan is emptying the food into a bin and putting the dirty dishes onto the worktop when there’s a knock at the door. He looks at it.)

NATHAN: (To himself.) Haley?

(He opens the door but it’s not Haley looking back at him.)

GIRL: Whoa(!) (Nathan squints at her.) Haley didn’t mess around. (She puts her hands on her hips, smiling.) You’re Nathan, right?

NATHAN: Yeah, yeah, do I… do I know you? (Tries to remember.)

GIRL: Well you should; I’m your sister-in-law.

NATHAN: Oh, uh… (A sh*t in the dark.) Vivian?

GIRL: Don’t make me smack you(!)

NATHAN: (Guessing again.) Quinn?

GIRL: Taylor(!) (Shakes her head amusedly.) Haley never mentioned me to you?

(Nathan sighs and shrugs.)

TAYLOR: Can I (Points inside.) come in? (Walks in uninvited.)

(Thunder rumbles again. Taylor bends over to take her shoes off and Nathan sees a tattoo of a scorpion on her lower back. He frowns some more still trying to remember.)

TAYLOR: (Still bent over.) You wanna grab that?

NATHAN: (Stumped) Wha-excuse me?(!)

TAYOLR: (Looks at him over her shoulder.) My suitcase. (Points)

NATHAN: Oh(!) (Turns to pick it up.) Yeah. (Lifts it and brings it in.) So, uh, Haley never said you were coming.

TAYLOR: Ah, she didn’t know. (Smiles) So, where is little sis?

NATHAN: (Closes the door.) Out.

TAYLOR: Well that’s vague. (Pause) Guess we’ll have to get acquainted till she gets home.

(Pause)

NATHAN: Yeah, sure, uh… just make yourself at home.

TAYLOR: (Grins) Careful what you wish for, little brother-in-law. (Turns and walks away.)

(Nathan sighs, still trying to figure her out.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

(Jake continues walking, scowl in place and glaring Rick down. Peyton’s too shocked for words, beyond ‘Jake’.)

RICK: (To Jake.) Who the hell are you?

JAKE: Who the hell are you?

(Rick looks at Jake a b*at before turning back to Peyton.)

PEYTON: (Scared) Rick, never mind, I made a mistake. (Shakes her head.)

RICK: (Appraises her.) High school girls(!) (Shakes his head and walks away.)

(Jake glares at Rick before walking over to Peyton. She throws her arms around him and hugs him. Jake closes his eyes and hugs her back. Peyton smiles, disbelievingly.)

(It starts to rain on them but they keep hugging.)

(Thunder rumbles.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(The thunder wakes Peyton up. She’s in her bed and panicked. She looks at the clock; it reads 1:43am. She looks away sadly.)

JAKE: (o.s) You were dreaming. (Cut to Jake, sitting in a chair by the window, smiling.) Think you’re OK now.

PEYTON: Are you back for good? Where’s Jenny?

JAKE: (Gets up.) I didn’t bring her. I’m only here a couple days to check on you. (Sits on her bed as she tries to hide her distress.) So what’s got Lucas so worried he’s gonna call my cousins in Savannah, huh?

PEYTON: (Quickly) Nothing, now… (Shakes her head.) So… you never answered any of my emails.

JAKE: Yeah, I’m sorry. (Pause) I didn’t wanna give Nikki any chance of tracking me down and… I just-I didn’t wanna get you caught up in this even more, just in case, you know.

PEYTON: Have you heard from her?

JAKE: (Shakes his head.) But she’s out there.

PEYTON: She might still be in Seattle. (Jake squints at her.) That’s where Brooke and I told her you went. (He tilts his head slightly. They laugh.) Um… what are-are you gonna see Lucas while you’re here?

JAKE: (Pondering) I don’t know. I’m gonna see my folks but… other than that, I just kinda wanna keep a low profile. (Peyton is clearly not happy though she tries to hide it.) Our secret, OK?

PEYTON: OK. (Her smile is strained.)

JAKE: Here, you go back to bed. We’ll talk about this in the morning.

(Peyton smiles and falls back on the bed.)

JAKE: (Gets up.) I’ll crash on the floor.

PEYTON: Jake(!) (He stops and turns.) Don’t be stupid. (She pats her bed and turns on her side, her back to him.)

(Jake gets onto the bed slowly and lies next to her, facing the ceiling. Peyton moves around a bit, trying to get comfortable. The noise dies away.)

JAKE: Sounds like it finally stopped raining.

PEYTON: (Pause while she looks at the ceiling too.) Maybe it finally did.

(Smiles a bit.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Haley - soaking wet – enters the apartment and quietly shuts the door behind her, not wanting to wake Nathan. He’s sitting near the window, waiting up for her.)

NATHAN: Where the hell have you been?

HALEY: (Spins around in the process of taking her jacket off and puts a hand to her heart.) I just… I needed to clear my head, Nathan. (Starts to walk to him.)

TAYLOR: (o.s) Little sis!

(Haley’s stunned, spins around again to find Taylor in a nightgown with a towel wrapped around her head.)

TAYLOR: Look at you(!) (Hugs Haley.)

HALEY: (Frowning) Tay, what’re you doing here?

TAYLOR: I’m on break. And I wanted to see the house before the new people moved in, and I haven’t seen you in forever(!) And mom told me that you got married so (Haley’s not pleased.) here I am.

(Haley glares at Taylor.)

TAYLOR: Nathan said I could stay for a couple of days.

(Haley’s eyes widen and she looks at Nathan.)

NATHAN: Actually, I-

TAYLOR: (Interrupting) You won’t even know that I’m here.

HALEY: Yeah, (Laughs humourlessly.) OK, um… (Takes Nathan’s hand.) can you give us a second, please? (She takes Nathan away into their bedroom and closes the door. Taylor watches them.)

(Haley stands in front of the closed door.)

HALEY: (Talking quietly but urgently.) You said she could stay? Do you think… maybe that was worth a conversation?

NATHAN: I told her she could make herself comfortable because you (Points at her.) weren’t here(!) (She looks around.) You were with Chris again, weren’t you?

HALEY: (Closes her eyes.) Yes, but I-

NATHAN: (Cuts her off.) Great! Great(!)

HALEY: Will you just listen to me, please? (Pause) It’s over, OK? He… left town… he wanted me to go with him.

NATHAN: (Pissed) What?!

HALEY: I said no because I-my life is here! (Nathan stares at her.) (Walks to him and says unconvincingly.) He didn’t mean anything to me, OK?

(Nathan looks up and sighs.)

HALEY: Besides, we’re gonna have to stick together if we’re gonna… survive ‘Hurricane Taylor’.

(Nathan looks at the door and nods.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Felix and Brooke are sitting at one of the benches, looking at a book. Brooke feels eyes on her and looks up. Lucas is sitting at a table, not far away, looking at them. Brooke smiles slightly and looks back down. Lucas looks up, spots someone and stands.)

LUCAS: Anna!

(Anna stops walking and turns to him. Lucas walks to her, hands in pockets.)

LUCAS: How are ya?

ANNA: Well, I was confused, I mean, after you showed up at my door talking about other girls.

LUCAS: Anna-

ANNA: But, once I remembered you have a reputation for being a total ass-hat, it pretty much cleared things up(!) (Shrugs and walks away.)

(He looks down and shakes his head. He watches Brooke stand, pat some random guy, and carry on walking.)

RANDOM GUY: Hey, Brooke.

(Brook walks towards the entrance of the school only to be immediately accosted by Lucas.)

LUCAS: Nice necklace.

BROOKE: (Pause) Thanks, Felix gave it to me.

LUCAS: (Trying to act indifferent.) I thought you guys were done.

BROOKE: (Shrugs) That was before we currented up to full-on dating. Thus, the loot.

LUCAS: Are you sure about this?

BROOKE: (Misinterpreting) Look, Lucas, I know you don’t like him but you don’t really know him.

LUCAS: Look, Brooke… I just want you to be happy.

BROOKE: (Pause) Well, if I’m dating Felix and you’re dating Anna, does that mean we’re somehow related?

LUCAS: Well, actually, Anna and I-

FELIX: (o.s) Hey Brooke! (She looks at him.) You forgot something.

BROOKE: What?

FELIX: This. (Leans down and kisses her, Lucas looks away. She looks at Felix.) See you after?

(Brooke nods. Felix and Lucas exchange looks before Felix walks away. Lucas frowns at his back.)

BROOKE: Lucas, I’m happy. (Sincerely) I hope you are too.

(Lucas smiles and walks away. Brooke turns and stares after him, thinking.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TRIC – DAY]

(Karen skirts the club as she holds her phone to her ear, waiting for someone to pick up. She sits on the top step.)

WOMAN: (Through the phone.) Hello?

KAREN: (Surprised) Oh… Uh, I was looking for Andy Hargrove. Um… I must have dialled… (Shakes her head.) the wrong number.

WOMAN: (Through the phone.) Actually, I grabbed his phone by mistake. He bought us both the same kind.

KAREN: Is he there?

WOMAN: (Through the phone.) He’s in the shower. Who’s this?

KAREN: Um… A-a student. I’ll call back. (She shuts the phone and sits, contemplating.)

(A car drives up and stops off-screen, the car door shuts.)

DEB: (o.s) Karen? (Cut to Deb.) Are we ever going to talk?

KAREN: (Shakes her head, smiling self deprecatingly, and stands.) What is there to say?

DEB: That I made a mistake.

KAREN: Maybe what you did with Keith was a mistake… but lying to me about it was a choice! (Deb nods and looks down.) One that I can’t accept from a business partner; or my friend.

(Karen walks away and Deb watches her.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – THE BAR – DAY]

(Lucas is sorting out bottles of drink and Jules is behind the bar.)

JULES: (o.s) So, since your mom hired me to work here, Keith helped me do a crash refresher course on bartending last night. (Smiles) (Lucas laughs and looks up.) Ask me anything.

LUCAS: OK, what’s in a… Long Island ice tea? (Leans on the bar.)

JULES: (Frowns, turns and looks before looking back at him.) Wouldn’t you rather have a Screwdriver?

(Lucas laughs again and Jules smiles. Her phone rings. Lucas looks down at her phone screen and sees ‘DAN SCOTT’ on it.)

JULES: (o.s) Can you toss me that?

(Lucas picks it up, frowning, and tosses it to Jules. She looks at the screen and turns her back to him, sh**ting him one last, stiff, smile before walking away to answer it.)

(Lucas can sense trouble.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. JULES’ HOUSE – DOORSTEP – DAY]

(The door opens to show Jules. She sees Lucas and looks politely bewildered.)

JULES: Lucas, Hey(!) (Opens the door further.) It’s early.

LUCAS: Yeah, (Looks around.) I know, uh, (Pause) can I talk to you?

JULES: Sure, I was just meeting Keith for breakfast and… as usual, I’m late, but other than that… let me grab my shoes. (Leaves the door open.)

LUCAS: (Enters) Yeah.

JULES: (Over her shoulder.) Everything OK?

LUCAS: Well, uh… that’s what I’m here to ask you.

JULES: (o.s) Is this about your mom? Coz Keith told me the whole story (sh*t of her slipping her shoes on.) and I feel like I’m horning in.

(Pause)

LUCAS: (Bluntly) How do you know Dan?

(Jules stands, confused, and walks to Lucas.)

JUES: Do I know a Dan?

LUCAS: Dan Scott – Keith’s brother? (Accusingly) He called you on your cell yesterday at the club.

JULES: (Smiling) Oh, that Dan.

LUCAS: (Pushes when she doesn’t elaborate.) Why’d he call you?

JULES: I bought a car from him. (sh*t of Lucas’ sceptical look.) And Dan had some questions about my credit references. (Frowning) What’s going on?

LUCAS: (Pause as he looks away, embarrassed.) Eh-I’m just, you know… looking out for Keith.

JULES: Keith’s all grown up Lucas. (Smiles)

LUCAS: Right. (Pause) Can we just… forget this?

JULES: (Amused) Forget what?

(Jules smiles and Lucas nods gratefully.)

LUCAS: Thanks.

(Lucas leaves the house and Jules’ cool, indifferent demeanour falls. She crosses her arms worriedly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – DAY]

(The lights are switched and TRIC lights up. Spotlights move around. sh*t of Jake’s amazed face.)

JAKE: Whoa! (Walks forward.) Peyton, this place is amazing(!)

PEYTON: (Pleased) Thanks. It can be, it’s just… it’s harder than I thought.

JAKE: Well when did you ever give up, huh?

(Peyton looks at him, thinking.)

PEYTON: Um… anyway, the uh, the big news is: Nathan and Haley got married(!)

JAKE: Married?

PEYTON: (Smiles and nods.) Um-hum.

JAKE: For real?

PEYTON: Yeah. And it turns out Haley is, like, this mega talented musician (Jake nods, impressed.) and she’s going for it.

(Jake gives Peyton a veiled look. She catches on.)

PEYTON: What’s the face?

JAKE: …Well, when I got off the bus, I saw Haley kissing some guy. (Peyton gapes, astounded.) He was… kinda scrawny; had a guitar case; sort of… hell-t hair. (Peyton gapes and looks away.) Who’s he?

PEYTON: Someone she shouldn’t be kissing. (Looks back at him.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DUSK]

(Nathan sh**t the basketball into the basket and it goes in as usual. Lucas runs onto the court.)

LUCAS: Hey(!) (Stands ready.) Open up top(!) (Holds his hands out for the ball.)

NATHAN: (Smiling) Huh… see, I don’t know CPR and even if I did, I wouldn’t (Lucas looks away.) give you mouth-to-mouth so… try not to drop when I’m the only person around.

LUCAS: I’m getting the stupid test, (Nathan shakes his head, Lucas holds his hand out.) give me the damn ball.

NATHAN: Forget it.

(Lucas stands for a b*at before charging at Nathan and the ball. Nathan turns and throws the ball as hard as he can; at the river. They stop and watch as it flies across the air and lands in the water, far away from the bank.)

(Nathan laughs.)

LUCAS: Nice air-ball. (Pause) How bout Playstation? Nobody ever croaked from that.

NATHAN: That would involve me going home. (Messes with his ring again.)

LUCAS: (Frowning) You and Haley still fighting?

NATHAN: Her sister’s here for a few days.

LUCAS: (Groans) Which one?

NATHAN: Taylor.

LUCAS: (Leans forward slightly.) Taylor? (Nathan inclines his head. Lucas laughs.) Dude, she’s crazy.

NATHAN: Perfect(!) Dude, the thing is… when I saw her, I got that… déjà vu thing. Like uh… like I’d seen her before.

LUCAS: Well, when we were freshman she was a senior so you probably saw her around school.

NATHAN: Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen more of her than that. (Sighs) (Explains) Two years ago, when they put me on varsity from the freshmen team… (Sighs) the seniors threw this, kinda, (Pause) out-there party at my parent’s beach house… Taylor was there.

LUCAS: (Starting to grin.) This is ugly.

NATHAN: (Nods) Yeah, I was… I was pretty wasted… and… she was… (Sighs again.) she was kinda the first girl I ever had sex with. (Lucas can’t help himself and starts laughing.) Great(!) Great. Laugh it up. You know what; the only good news about this is that I don’t think she really even remembers me.

LUCAS: Oh, wow, you rocked her world, huh? (Laughs again.)

NATHAN: This is not funny(!)

LUCAS: You’re right, it’s hilarious!

(Nathan tackles Lucas good-humouredly.)

LUCAS: Whoa! Hey, hey, hey, heart patient, remember?!

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL STREETS – EVENING]

(Felix and Brooke walk down a street.)

FELIX: How bad is it?

BROOKE: Well, let’s see – my mom threw our last piece of water fern at my dad last night… and it shattered where the hopper used to hang and now he’s sleeping in the pool house… while we still have one. So…

FELIX: They talking about moving? Say no.

BROOKE: Not so much talking as yelling, constantly. It’s kinda gotten to the point where I just don’t wanna go home, you know?

(Felix shrugs and nods.)

FELIX: Then we won’t. (Brooke smiles.) Come on, I’ll buy you a nice dinner.

(Brooke looks up at the restaurant and falters.)

BROOKE: (Whispering) No. No, no, no, no(!) Felix, we can’t go in there, are you crazy?(!)

FELIX: Why not?

BROOKE: (Hissing) Because this is the place that you made me do… do the dine-and-dash thing on Dare Night! (Hits him on the chest.) (He laughs.) What is so funny?

FELIX: You. Do you honestly think I’d do that to you? (She squints at him.) I paid the matredee on the way out when I left you. (Brooke tries to hold back a smile.) I’m full of surprises.

BROOKE: You’re full of something. (She smacks him again and enters the restaurant.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan enters his apartment, sees the candles situated all over the apartment and does a double take. Taylor enters from the bathroom.)

TAYLOR: You’re home. Sorry (Points) bout the mess. I needed a major, hot, soak after my ten mile run.

NATHAN: You run?

TAYLOR: Well how do you think I got this great ass?

(Nathan, doesn’t know how to respond, looks down.)

TAYLOR: Are you blushing? (Laughs) Adorable(!) (Pause) Run with me tomorrow. If… you can keep up.

NATHAN: If you can keep up.

TAYLOR: (Smiles) I… bought some beer; you want one? (Heads to the refrigerator.)

NATHAN: Uh… yeah… sure. (Drops his keys on the worktop.)

TAYLOR: (Takes two beers out and throws him one.) Look at you – such a jock(!) So, come talk to me.

(She sits on the couch, one foot on the table, and opens the beer.)

TAYLOR: How bad is it?

NATHAN: (Sits next to her.) How bad is what?

TAYLOR: This thing (Looks at him.) between you and Haley. (sh*t of a bottle of baby oil as Taylor picks it up.) Dinner chucked in the garbage; little sis coming home in the middle of the night; hushed arguments behind closed doors. Though that and… she told me all about it.

NATHAN: And she told you that Chris is out of the picture, right?

TAYLOR: Chris… right. You’re pretty threatened by him, huh? (Pours baby oil onto her palm.)

NATHAN: (Laughs humourlessly.) Only because Haley was buying his crap.

(Taylor rubs the oil onto her palms and rubs it onto her leg.)

TAYLOR: For a smart girl, Haley sure can be stupid.

(Nathan swallows as he watches her and the oil. He turns away.)

NATHAN: What’s… your issue with Haley?

TAYLOR: I think she blames me for all the pressure she puts on herself.

NATHAN: How so?

TAYLOR: I dunno, she didn’t wanna disappoint our parents like I did, I guess. (Nathan nods.) I tend to screw up, a lot. (She puts her other foot on the table.)

NATHAN: (Looks away again.) Yeah, uh, (Laughs) I know how that is.

TAYLOR: Really?

(Nathan looks away and finishes his beer.)

NATHAN: (Taps the neck of the bottle.) Mind if I get another beer?

TAYLOR: (Outright flirting.) No, I insist.

NATHAN: (Whispering.) Yeah, OK. (Stands and walks to the refrigerator.)

TAYLOR: You know, I still can’t believe little sis snagged such a hottie. (Nathan looks at her.) I mean, usually, I get them first. (She smiles at him.)

(Nathan opens the bottle, it slips at her words and hits the floor; spilling its contents all over the place. He rubs his head and looks back up at Taylor. She bites her lip, amused.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE RESTAURANT – EVENING]

(Brooke and Felix are sitting at a small table.)

FELIX: You want anything else; after-dinner drink, dessert, new shoes?

BROOKE: (Smiling) You don’t have to buy me things.

(Felix smiles and pulls his debit Mastercard out.)

FELIX: (To the waiter.) Debit card ok?

WAITER: Of course.

BROOKE: Felix(!)

FELIX: It’s OK, Brooke. You’re with me now. I’m gonna take care of you. (Brooke smiles, not entirely happy.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton’s bedroom door opens and Anna enters. Peyton is putting a lot of empty food cartons away, into a brown bag. She looks up as Anna enters.)

ANNA: Looks like you were hungry.

PEYTON: (Happy) Yeah, I had a friend over. (Shoves more cartons into the bag and looks up again.) You just missed him.

ANNA: (Smile drops.) Him? (She closes the door.)

PEYTON: Oh it’s… not like that. (Smiles and puts the bag onto the floor.) Um… I was gonna call you, it’s just… um, last time I saw you it was… (Sits on her bed.) pile-on-Peyton day. You know? So, um, sorry.

ANNA: (Nods) Well, you had a right to be pissed at me. You needed a friend… and… I wasn’t there for you. (Peyton smiles.) Anyway, (Pause) can I, um… still take you up on that ‘we can talk anytime’ offer?

PEYTON: Yeah(!) Come on, (Pats her bed.) what’s up?

ANNA: (Sits) Lucas, kinda… broke up with me. I mean… I’m not sure if we were even dating but, now there’s not even a chance.

PEYTON: I’m sorry, Anna.

(Anna nods and looks down.)

ANNA: I don’t know what I’m doing, Peyton.

PEYTON: (Shakes her head.) None of us do.

ANNA: (Sadly) Do you think there’s something wrong with me?

PEYTON: What?! No! (Turns to her fully.) I think maybe there’s something wrong with Lucas; coz you are great. (Anna nods. Peyton smiles.) Come here.

(They hug. Peyton pulls back and smiles. She touches Anna’s hair. Anna leans forward and kisses her. Peyton, shocked, breaks it off and stares, dumbfounded, at Anna.)

PEYTON: I-

ANNA: (Standing) On my god(!)

PEYTON: (Quickly) Anna, that not really my thing

ANNA: I’m sorry.

PEYTON: But-

ANNA: (Turning to the door.) I’m-I gotta go.

PEYTON: But, it-it’s cool, Anna!

(Anna shuts the door behind her, Peyton, mouth open, stares at the door before looking down.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. ANNA AND FELIX’S HOUSE – ANNA’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Anna is sitting on her bed, reading, when Peyton knocks on her doorframe. Anna looks up.)

PEYTON: Hey, I-I hope this is OK. (Walks in slowly.)

ANNA: (Sighs) Look… I don’t know what came over me. I was just… pretty upset and… you know, I wasn’t really thinking straight. (Stops and looks up.) (Quietly) You know what I mean?

PEYTON: Anna(!) It’s cool… OK? I mean, now a lot of stuff makes sense like: how you acted at the Formal and… how you blew me off after the whole locker thing.

ANNA: Can we please just forget the whole thing?

PEYTON: (Smiling and shaking her head.) Absolutely not(!) (Pause) Don’t be afraid to be who you are. (Anna looks away.) We can still be friends, right?

ANNA: I don’t know if I can do that.

(Peyton raises her eyebrows.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – DAY]

(sh*t of Nathan and Taylor’s legs as they run across the beach. The camera travels up; Nathan is clearly in the lead. He smacks the wooden structure of the lifeguard tower and holds a hand up in victory.)

NATHAN: Mine(!)

TAYLOR: (Holds her arms up.) b*at the girl(!) Such a gentleman(!) (She’s out of breath.)

NATHAN: (Smiles) Sorry. Good run.

TAYLOR: (Sighs) Yeah. If I don’t run everyday, I got nuts. (Nathan looks at her.) Started when I left home; been running ever since.

NATHAN: I know the feeling.

TAYLOR: Now I am all about the future. Speaking for which – we haven’t had our mollocarian bathing ritual yet.

NATHAN: A what?

TAYLOR: The mollocars, are a tribe in the South Pacific who celebrate weddings with a family bath.

NATHAN: They must have a big tub.

TAYLOR: (Laughing) In the ocean dumbass.

NATHAN: (Laughs) Ah, what(!)

TAYLOR: It symbolises the washing away of past sins and the rebirth of the family’s soul.

NATHAN: You have any idea how cold that water is?

TAYLOR: Yeah, but I’m gonna appeal to you competitive side, sissy(!) (Smiles)

NATHAN: Alright(!) (Pause) On three.

(Taylor laughs.)

NATHAN: One, (They crouch.) two-

TAYLOR: (Shouts) Three! (Takes off.)

NATHAN: What-get back here! (He runs after her.)

(Taylor screams as the cold water touches her.)

NATHAN: Oh(!) It’s cold!

(He falls into the water. A wave crashes over them.)

TAYLOR: Got you! (Laughs) Mollocai’s is a bar in Durham!

NATHAN: What! (He tries so splash her but falls back instead.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Lucas is standing on the court drinking water. Felix comes up behind him.)

FELIX: I warned you, man.

(Lucas shakes his head as Felix continues to walk to him.)

LUCAS: (Sighs and turns.) You know, this is really getting old.

FELIX: Heh, not as old as you hurting my sister. She’s at home, crying, coz of you.

LUCAS: I’m sorry man, but I don’t see how any of this is your business.

FELIX: (Advances) Coz I make it my business. You hurt her, I hurt you. (Pushes Lucas hard.)

LUCAS: (Backs up but stays standing.) You don’t wanna do that.

FELIX: You’re right, what I wanna be doing is this. (Punches him hard in the face.)

(Lucas groans, rights himself and punches Felix hard enough to knock him down. Lucas hovers over Felix, ready to hit him again but his groaning makes Lucas pull back.)

LUCAS: (Stands up.) Forget it(!)

(Lucas turns around and walks away. Felix sits up, lunges, and grabs Lucas’ legs. Lucas loses his balance and hits his head on the corner of the bench; hard. He grabs his head and moans in pain. Felix stands.)

FELIX: (Still favouring his chin.) Yeah, one more thing. (Kicks him in the stomach.)

(Lucas goes down, holding his head and stomach. Felix glares and walks away. Camera zooms in on Lucas rolling around on the ground.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE BEACH HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Nathan and Taylor enter the beach house.)

TAYLOR: Damn, boy(!) Why aren’t we living here?

NATHAN: It’s my dad’s. (Holds up the keys.) Got the keys though. (Puts them on the table.) Tell you what – I’ll turn on the fireplace (Uses the remote to turn the fireplace on.) if you grab the towels. (Points) They’re just-

TAYLOR: (Interrupting) I know where they are.

(Nathan pauses.)

TAYLOR: Varsity basketball. (Nods)

NATHAN: (Nods also.) (Quietly) Yeah. (Taylor grins and heads for the alcohol.) Um… I was pretty wasted that night.

TAYLOR: Oh, what, you don’t remember me?

NATHAN: No, uh, of course I remember you, I just… (Taylor smirks at him.) I didn’t think you would come back to bite me in the ass.

TAYLOR: (Amused) Well this time I’ll only nibble. (Pours some alcohol for both of them.)

NATHAN: (Sighs and shakes his head.) Why didn’t you say anything?

TAYLOR: (Puts the top back on the decanter.) I was having too much fun watching you squirm. (Laughs and walks to him.) Does that make me bad? (Pauses before giving him the glass.) Here.

(Nathan looks at her before they knock glasses. They sit on the rug before the fireplace.)

NATHAN: So are you gonna tell me why you’re really in town?

TAYLOR: (Sighs) I… screwed up at school. I got caught cheating on an exam… and then my professor and I got caught cheating on his wife(!) He was paying my rent; expenses. (Inhales) Yeah, until she found out and then that was that. (Nods) So, I… got kicked out. (Looks at him.) And, next thing, I’m… knocking on your door. (Nathan nods.) So how bout we make a deal? (Pause) You keep my secret… and I’ll keep yours.

NATHAN: (Nods) That sounds like a good plan.

(Taylor nods. Nathan sighs.)

NATHAN: Speaking of Haley – uh, we should get back.

TAYLOR: I guess we could do that. (Looks pointedly.) This time.

(Nathan smiles and looks back down.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton is sitting on her bed. Jake is propped up on his side; facing her and listening to her speak.)

PEYTON: You know… how you find a song and you just listen to it, like, over and over and over again, until it becomes this, like, soundtrack, until you find… a new one?

JAKE: Or, till you wanna forget the things that it reminds you of.

PEYTON: (Pauses and smiles sadly.) How’s you life, Jake?

JAKE: It’s been hard. (Pause) You know, I’m not in school and… I’m working all these crummy jobs and the whole time I just keep looking over my shoulder thinking that Nikki’s gonna swoop down and snatch Jenny away.

(Peyton doesn’t answer; she avoids his eyes, looking forward sadly.)

JAKE: You know I have to go back, Peyton.

PEYTON: (Smiles, trying to be strong.) I know.

JAKE: I’d stay if I could. (Peyton looks at him.) I want you to know that.

PEYTON: (Can’t reply.) So, when are you leaving?

JAKE: Tomorrow. I promised my folks - I’d have dinner with them tonight. (Gets up and leans over to pick his things up.) But… I’ll stop by – in the morning, before I head out.

PEYTON: (Sits at the end of her bed.) Jake, (Pause) can you stay here again, tonight? (Pause) Just to sleep.

(Jake looks at her before dropping his things, nodding slightly.)

JAKE: I’ll come back after dinner. (He smiles. Peyton stands and hugs him.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DINING AREA – EVENING]

(sh*t of an orange cup as Karen walks over and picks it up. The door opens and Andy enters.)

ANDY: I thought (Karen looks at him.) that since you wouldn’t answer my calls, maybe you’d been abducted or something. (Smiles)

KAREN: (Evasively) I assume your mother has an accent?

ANDY: (Confused) Ah… not to me but yeah.

KAREN: And you said you don’t have a sister.

ANDY: Just one loser brother. (Pause) What’s this about?

KAREN: (Puts the dirty dishes down.) I called you in New York; and a woman answered and said you were in the shower. (He looks down.) Now this may not be fair to you but with everyone lying to me lately, (Pause) who is she?

ANDY: Look, Karen, um… this is something that I’m not really proud of but-

KAREN: (Holds her hand up and cuts him off.) Tell you what – from now on; I’m the student you’re the professor… and I’ll see you in class(!) (Picks up the dishes and walks away.)

(Andy watches her and looks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Haley puts a tart into a tub. The door opens and a smiling Nathan and Taylor enter.)

HALEY: Oh, nice, you guys finally decided to come home. (Puts a lid on the tub.)

NATHAN: (Shuts the door.) I left you a note. We went for a jog.

HALEY: To where – Atlanta?

TAYLOR: (Uncomfortably) I’m… gonna… go take a shower. (Excuses them, walking into the bathroom.)

HALEY: (Quietly to Nathan.) We are supposed to be working on our marriage.

NATHAN: At least you knew where I was.

HALEY: (Closes her eyes for a second.) This has to stop, Nathan. (He sighs.) I don’t wanna lose you and it’s obvious that we still have issues; only now it just feels like you’re avoiding me.

NATHAN: I’m not avoiding you!

HALEY: Then why are you spending so much time with Taylor?

NATHAN: (Surprised) Wha-are you threatened by her?

HALEY: (Turning to the refrigerator.) I don’t trust her.

(Nathan looks down, sighs and nods.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ANNA AND FELIX’S HOUSE – FELIX’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Felix is sitting at his desk, writing. Brooke enters, closes the door and crosses her arms.)

FELIX: Whoa girl, you look happy.

BROOKE: (Walks to him, not smiling.) I can’t keep this. (Holds out the necklace that he gave her.)

(Felix takes it. Close-up of the necklace.)

FELIX: Why not?

BROOKE: Because my mom married my dad for his money and you see how well that worked out.

FELIX: (Sits up from his reclining position.) You think that’s all this is?

BROOKE: I don’t wanna be like her. And you’re giving me nice gifts and buying me expensive meals and I don’t wanna do it anymore.

FELIX: You’re breaking up with me?

BROOKE: No(!) Just with your money. (Felix frowns.) I need to start feeling good about myself so I can start feeling good about us. OK?

FELIX: OK. (Nods)

(Brooke nods, crosses her arms and looks away.)

BROOKE: I really don’t wanna go home.

FELIX: (Stands) Spend the night with me.

BROOKE: (Tiredly) I’m not in the mood.

FELIX: So? Spend the night anyway.

BROOKE: (Smiles) …You really are full of surprises aren’t you?

(He hugs her.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton is in bed asleep. She turns and the camera pans to Jake. He’s sitting up in bed, looking at nothing.)

PEYTON: (Opens her eyes and looks at him.) Trouble sleeping?

JAKE: (Shakes his head slowly.) Just listening to you breathe. (Peyton laughs, embarrassed.) Been thinking about stuff. (She looks at him.) Alright Peyton, I gotta ask you – the other night, when I found you… that was a drug deal. (Peyton looks away.) Am I right? I mean, Lucas called me for a reason a-.

PEYTON: I-um… (Long pause. Jake waits.) I did coke with that guy… but it was… it was one time and… (Lamely) it was stupid. (Softly) I know.

JAKE: You’ve got so much going on, why would you need a crush like that?

PEYTON: (Pauses as she looks at him.) I was weak. (Jake closes his eyes and leans back. She shakes her head.) You don’t have to worry about me, Jake.

JAKE: I know. (Pause) (Looks at her.) But what if I want to?

(Peyton, smiles and looks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Jules opens the door to Lucas, again. He’s standing there with a cut on his forehead.)

LUCAS: Hey, Jules.

JULES: Lucas, people are gonna start talking if you keep-

LUCAS: (Cuts her off.) You lied to me about how you know Dan. (Her smile falls.) I checked you out at the dealership.

JULES: (Sighs) Come inside, OK?

(Lucas walks in, slightly slowly due to his injury. Jules closes the door.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – DINING ROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas is sitting at the table.)

LUCAS: So, I know you paid cash for the car; which means, (Pause) there was no credit check.

(Jules sighs and looks down.)

JULES: Bout two years ago, I was engaged to this guy. (Pause) (Smiles) I was crazy about him; even after he hit me a few times. I thought it wasn’t gonna happen again… until he put me in the hospital for two weeks. He disappeared after that and… my welcome home present was finding out that I was over a hundred and fifty thousand dollars in debt; with no way to pay the medical bills. (Walks forward.) I was beyond desperate, Lucas. (Pause) So I posted an add on this website; saying I’d do anything, legal, for money.

LUCAS: (Knowingly) And Dan answered.

JULES: Said he’d help me out. He started paying my medical bills.

(Lucas sighs, shakes his head and looks away.)

LUCAS: So, (Pause) what did he ask you to do?

JULES: (Miserably) Make Keith fall in love with me. (Pause) Then break his heart.

(Lucas can’t deal. He shakes his head, looks down and sighs, rubbing his head.)

JULES: I tried to tell Dan that I wasn’t gonna go through with it but its too late. (He looks up.) I never though I was gonna fall in love with Keith. (He looks at her disbelievingly.) But I did, Lucas. You have to believe me; I love him(!)

(Lucas doesn’t believe her.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. SAWYER RSIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton wakes up, the place beside her, on the bed, is empty. She looks forward, soberly.)

PEYTON: Thought I was having a… (Jake’s shoving his things into a bag.) bad dream only to wake up and find out its real. (Smiles) But, I know that you have to go.

JAKE: Last night, you said you were feeling weak. Well here, (Picks something up.) let me show you something I use when I’m feeling weak. (Hands her a piece of paper, folded into eighths. She begins to open it.) ‘If my hopes could bring you home, you and Jenny would be with me now’. (Continues to pack.)

PEYTON: (Grinning) It’s the first email I sent you? (Smiles and opens it.)

JAKE: It’s like, I’d be working one of those jobs or… (Shakes his head.) feeling like I was gonna be on the run forever and I would-I’d read those words and… it’s like this sudden calm… would wash over me. (Peyton looks away.) You’re so strong, Peyton. (Shakes his head.) You don’t even know it. I mean, you got me through some pretty dark days. (Nods) And… I’ve been thinking that, if I can get all that… from some words on a piece of paper… just imagine what it would be like to have the real thing every day. (Peyton gapes and smiles.) I’m just-I’m tired of running, Peyton; come with me, let’s bring Jenny back home. (Nods)

PEYTON: (Disbelieving) Yeah?

JAKE: Yeah. (Nods)

PEYTON: (Nods happily.) Yeah. (Laughs)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Haley snatches Taylor’s things off the table.)

TAYLOR: (Wakes up.) What are you doing?

HALEY: I’m helping you pack(!)

TAYLOR: (Sits up.) Am I packing? (Haley dumps her things into a bag.)

HALEY: That’s where I’m sending you; packing. (Picks up more of Taylor’s things.)

TAYLOR: (Takes the covers off her legs.) Wait a minute, Haley.

HALEY: You know what; complain window is close, OK? It’s time for you to go back to school.

TAYLOR: I’m… done with school.

HALEY: Well, I’m sorry. I need to be here, working on saving my marriage and you’re getting in the way(!)

TAYLOR: I need a few days to figure things out.

HALEY: A few days is gonna turn into a few weeks. I know you, Taylor. By then, it might be too late for Nathan and me.

NATHAN: (o.s) We have to let her stay, Haley. (Nathan is leaning against the wall, watching them. Both girls look at him.) (Close-up of Nathan.) She’s family.

(Haley looks heavenward and shakes her head.)

NATHAN: Just until you figure out what you’re gonna do, alright?

TAYLOR: (Smiles gratefully and nods.) Sure. Thanks, Nathan.

(Nathan looks at Haley. She’s very close to glaring.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL COLLEGE – BUSINESS 101 – DAY]

(Andy enters the classroom. Karen is sitting in her seat. They exchange uncomfortable looks.)

ANDY: Today, we’re gonna pick up with managerial ethics; where we left off just before my trip. (Looks at Karen, scratches his head and picks up a piece of chalk to write on the greenboard. He writes ‘ETHICS’ in block capitals.) (Pause) Actually, no, (Drops the chalk.) change of plan, forget that. Who can tell me the word that I wrote on the board on the first day?

(Karen looks down.)

ANDY: Karen?

KAREN: (Looks up and says, reservedly.) Greed.

ANDY: That’s right. It’s a motivating factor in business, religion, politics. (Pause) I mean, I know it sure as hell motivated me. (Pause) Or it used to. Three years ago, I was barrelling along in my SUV, on my way to yet another meeting with yet another financial group. At that point in time, my liquid assets totalled around thirty-one million. On my cell I had a broker… who could have, uh, pushed my net-worth up by another quarter of a million. (Pause) And I was so on my game this day. I mean, I was saying all the right things; I was turning all the right screws… when, um… (Looks down and sighs.) I didn’t even see her – until I got out of the car. (Karen looks at him, comprehending.) By that time, she was lying in a-in a pretty impossible angle and there was… so much blood that I-I was sure that I’d k*lled her.

(Karen blinks and looks down.)

ANDY: But she survived. Her name is Miriam… and, uh, (Sighs) she’s gonna carry that accident around with her forever. (Pause) As will I.

(Everyone’s looking at him.)

ANDY: Since then, I’ve tried to do right by her and… twice a year, (Pause) I visit her and her son. To make sure they’re OK. And some people say that I do that out of guilt; that may be but… there’s another reason that I do it; I do it to remind myself that in this life, (Pause) there’s a point when enough’s enough. (Nods at Karen.) Now if you’re haggling over money that you don’t even need; enough’s enough. (Pause) Just… believe me on that.

(He looks at Karen one last time before walking behind his desk.)

ANDY: So, if you’ll still have me, um… managerial ethics.

(Camera zooms in Karen’s solemn face.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – SIDEWALK – DAY]

(Jake puts his bag into Peyton’s car.)

JAKE: Tunes for the road?

PEYTON: Yep, right (Pulls out a CD.) here(!)

JAKE: You got your bag?

PEYTON: In the trunk!

JAKE: Beef jerky? (He gets behind the wheel. Peyton stares, open-mouthed.) Oh, come on, you can’t have a road trip without beef jerky. (Shuts the door.) You’re buying.

PEYTON: OK, how bout, (Pulls her mastercard out.) I got my debit card; we’ll just stop at the first truck stop!

JAKE: Now we’re talking. (Peyton gets in.) Top up or top down?

PEYTON: (Smiles) Down. (Takes her bag off.) I don’t think it’s gonna rain today.

(She smiles and Jake starts the car. They drive off.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ (STOCK) – DAY]

CUT TO:

FOCUS TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Deb is sitting at the bar, waiting for Karen. She turns when Karen enters.)

DEB: I know you have no reason to believe anything I say, but, I feel awful about this, Karen. (Pause) Our friendship has gotten me through some pretty dark days. I never meant to betray that. But… I can have my lawyer drop off the papers to dissolve our partnership, if that’s what you want.

KAREN: (Shakes her head and smiles.) It isn’t, Deb. Just… please don’t lie to me again.

(Deb smiles.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(High angle sh*t of Lucas who is playing basketball by himself. The ball misses and he runs for it.)

ANNA: (o.s) Felix told me what happened. (She walks into the sh*t.)

LUCAS: (Scoffs) I’ll live.

ANNA: I kind of owe you the biggest apology in the world, Lucas.

LUCAS: (Confused) Me?

ANNA: Yeah. (Pause) Coz, um… I’ve been blaming a lot of stuff on you that isn’t your fault. (Lucas inclines his head.) The last place we lived, the all-girls school I went to, there were these… rumours that got started and… (Breathes deeply.) my family found out and… I made a big deal out of it all… and we moved. Felix was pissed at me because of that. (Sighs) But the thing is, Lucas, those rumours, weren’t just rumours. (Looks away.) They were true.

LUCAS: What were the rumours?

ANNA: That I like girls. (Looks away.) You’re the first person I have ever said those words to out loud. (She’s clearly upset.)

LUCAS: OK.

ANNA: (There are tears in her eyes.) I mean, I’m into guys too so its a-it’s kind of confusing and… I guess I put all my hopes on you; (Shakes her head.) which wasn’t fair. (Lucas looks away, smiling humourlessly.) I thought since… you liked me and I liked you, maybe… that would make it go away. (Lucas smiles at her.) Until you broke things off and then… there I was – right back where I started. (Lucas can’t take all of the information he’s been getting today.) I’m not proud of it but that’s why I was mad at you. Only I guess I was really mad at myself.

LUCAS: Wow, huh, this is a new one.

ANNA: I’m not ready for people to know; especially Felix(!)

LUCAS: (Sincerely) I won’t say anything.

ANNA: (Smiles) Thanks. (He nods.) And, I won’t say anything about you and Brooke.

LUCAS: (Busted) What about me and Brooke?

ANNA: (Smiles knowingly.) She’s the girl you like, right? I mean, it’s kind of obvious.

LUCAS: (Trying to find the words.) …I thought I was cooler than that.

ANNA: Well, apparently not(!)

LUCAS: (Smiles at her and nods.) Come here. (He walks over and hugs her. He still can’t believe it.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE ROAD – PEYTON’S CAR – EVENING]

(Peyton is asleep again. Jake is driving. Peyton moves over and rests her head on his shoulder. Jake looks at her a b*at before looking back at the road and smiling.)

FADE TO:

[INT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke is looking through some of her snapshots of Peyton and herself and smiling. Felix comes up behind her.)

FELIX: I want you to have this. (Puts the necklace around her neck.)

BROOKE: Felix-

FELIX: (Talks to her through the mirror.) It’s a gift. It’s not a payment. And I didn’t buy it for you as much as I bought it for me. (Rubs her shoulders.) Coz seeing you wear it makes me happy. (Brooke smiles reluctantly. Felix rubs her shoulders again.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL COLLEGE – ANDY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Andy is sitting at his desk, typing onto his laptop. Karen walks up, knocks on the door, holding a brown bag from her café. Andy looks up.)

KAREN: (Holds the bag up.) Sandwiches?

(Andy puts his pen down and stands.)

KAREN: You like crow? Coz I’ve been craving it lately.

ANDY: (Laughs) Don’t worry about it. It’s about time I owned up to my mistakes.

KAREN: (Smiles) Me too. (She takes a sandwich out and gives it to him.)

ANDY: (Accepts it.) This isn’t really crow, I hope.

KAREN: (Takes her own out.) Turkey with Swiss. (Smiles) Apologies on the side.

(Andy laughs and they sit down with their respective sandwiches. He takes his out and smiles at her.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – DOORSTEP – EVENING]

(Keith opens the door to Lucas; in a suit.)

KEITH: Hey(!)

LUCAS: Keith, uh, can I talk to you?

KEITH: Sure. (Steps aside to show Jules on the couch.) Come on in.

LUCAS: You know, um, (Stops when he sees her. Jules’ smile falls.) did I happen to leave my… MP3 player here?

KEITH: Uh, no, haven’t seen it.

LUCAS: (Still looking at Jules.) Right, um…

KEITH: Oh, what, you wanna come in and hang out?

(Jules knows why Lucas’ really there.)

LUCAS: No, I’m OK. See ya. (Turns and leaves.)

(Keith turns to Jules who just smiles stiffly at him. Keith closes the door.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – OUTSIDE – DAY]

(Students walk around outside before the start of school. A couple holding hands walk by in slow motion. Anna watches them. Lucas walks up to her, looking at them too.)

LUCAS: Feeling left out?

ANNA: A little.

LUCAS: Well, you wanna be left out together? (Holds his arm out.)

(Anna smiles and takes his arm. They walk down together.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Nathan is sitting at the worktop, on the laptop. Haley is working away at the counter and Taylor is in the bathroom, the door is open. She wipes steam off of a part of the mirror and watches Nathan through it. He looks up and she smiles. He stares for a moment.)

NATHAN: (To Haley.) Hey, uh, do you need some help?

HALEY: (Looks back and nods.) Yeah, sure.

(Nathan nods, looks back at Taylor once more time before heading over to his wife. She hands him a spoon, they kiss and the camera zooms out slowly.)