02x16 - Somewhere a Clock is Ticking

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x16 - Somewhere a Clock is Ticking

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – BEHIND THE COUNTER – DAY]

LUCAS: I wanna move in with Dan.

KAREN: Over my dead body(!)

(Lucas stares with his mouth open.)

KAREN: (v.o) What does Dan have over you?

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas empties his stuff onto the bed, including his HCM medicine and leaflets.)

DAN: (Entering the room.) How did you convince her that you didn’t have HCM?

LUCAS: I used Keith’s negative results letter.

CUT TO:

[EXT. NEW BRUNSWICK COUNTY TRANSIT AUTHORITY – EVENING]

(Haley has her hands in her pockets as she walks past Chris, towards the bus door.)

NATHAN: (v.o) She left to be with Chris. She kissed him, before she left.

(Chris puts her luggage away as he watches her.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – FRONT HALL – EVENING]

(Andy has his phone in his hand as he talks to Karen.)

ANDY: My investigator found something interesting about Dan.

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton and Jake are sitting on Peyton’s bed after their first date.)

JAKE: Let’s just… go slow. OK?

PEYTON: (Considers before nodding.) OK.

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – EVENING]

NATHAN: You know there’s a girl you had feelings for.

LUCAS: Nathan-

NATHAN: Look me in the eye. Tell me I’m wrong.

(Lucas looks at Nathan but can’t say it.)

NATHAN: You need to talk to her, Luke.

(Nathan walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CHURCH – FRONT SEATING – EVENING]

(Jules sits in the church, Dan behind her. She was praying before he entered.)

JULES: (Her back to him.) I’ve decided to tell Keith the truth.

DAN: Maybe you won’t have to. I think I’ll just let this one go.

(Jules turns to look at him.)

DAN: Keith doesn’t ever have to know.

FADE TO BACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE RIVER WALK – DAY]

(A white boat with white sails moves slowly past.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Kahlil Gibran once wrote: (Lucas comes into the sh*t, bouncing a basketball while listening to his Ipod.) You’re reason and your passion are the rudder… and the sails of your seafaring soul. If either be broken, you can but toss and drift, or else be held at a standstill in mid-seas. For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; (sh*t fades to that of a church with Keith standing by his car, looking up at it.) and passion, unattended, is a flame that burn to it’s own destruction.

(Lucas continues to bounce the ball as he comes upon Keith.)

KEITH: Hey!

(Lucas looks up, holds the ball steady and takes an earphone out.)

LUCAS: Hey!

(They clap hands.)

LUCAS: You’re a… (Looks at him.) little early… (Takes the other earphone out.) and underdressed. (Laughs)

KEITH: (Looks down at himself.) Yeah well, you know, I’m just… making sure everything’s OK. (Smiles at Lucas.)

LUCAS: Anything I can help you with?

KEITH: (Shakes his head.) No, no. You’ve done enough. Everything is perfect. (Hugs Lucas.) I’m getting married today.

(Lucas looks past Keith’s shoulder, slightly worried.)

(A phone rings off-screen.)

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAY]

(Nathan sighs as he picks his phone off the floor. He answers his cell in his t*nk top, on his stomach, half off the bed.)

NATHAN: Didn’t know rock stars were such early risers.

CUT TO:

[INT. CLUB – BACKSTAGE – DAY]

(Haley walks around a deserted backroom.)

HALEY: (Tiredly) We just finished rehearsing all night. (Laughs to herself.)

NATHAN: (Through the phone.) Yeah-

CUT TO:

NATHAN: -don’t let me stop you from falling into bed with Chris.

HALEY: (Through the phone.) It’s not like that and you know it.

NATHAN: (Scoffs and moves.) I don’t know anything, anymore. (Gets off the bed.)

CUT TO:

HALEY: (Exasperatedly) You know, I was just calling to tell you that we’re gonna be on TV. We’re doing this live interview and I was hoping you’d watch.

CUT TO:

(Nathan is sitting on the edge of his bed.)

NATHAN: (Sceptically) That’s why you called?

CUT TO:

HALEY: Nathan, none of this means anything if I can’t share it with you.

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – BADROOM – DAY]

NATHAN: (Sighs mockingly and stands.) Keith’s wedding’s today.

CUT TO:

HALEY: (Surprised) He’s getting married?

NATHAN: (Through the phone.) Yeah-

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – BADROOM – DAY]

(He stops at the window.)

NATHAN: -It won’t last.

CUT TO:

(Haley closes her eyes and sighs.)

HALEY: What, what can I say to make things better because I really want to. You know?

NATHAN: (Through the phone.) You can’t,-

CUT TO:

(He smiles.)

NATHAN: -see, (Sighs) it’s a part you have to live with.

CUT TO:

(Haley sighs.)

(Half the sh*t fades into the apartment with Nathan standing and looking out at the balcony, he sighs too.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(The camera pans down from the window, across Jenny, to the bed where Peyton and Jake are lying, kissing.)

(Jake pauses as Jenny mumbles.)

JENNY: Dada.

JAKE: (Shocked) That was a word(!) (Points behind. A door opens somewhere.) That was definitely a word. (Sits up and turns to his daughter.)

PEYTON: (Smiling) In what, Swahili?

JAKE: She said ‘dada’! (Peyton sighs.) My baby’s a genius.

(Peyton laughs and Brooke comes rushing in, ecstatic and completely ignorant to the fact that Jake is the bed too.)

BROOKE: OK, major news; (Peyton turns to her. Jake does too.) Brooke Davis is officially twenty-four hours away from being student council president and rich again!

PEYTON: (Clearly embarrassed with her position.) What, you and Felix getting married, too?

BROOKE: Please(!) My dad has this final job interview with this giganto company today; they’re taking him to play golf… (Peyton turns to Jake, laughing.) and while my dad may not be the brightest tool in… the wherever they keep tools, he can play golf like freaking Michael Jordan(!)

PEYTON: (Laughs) OK…

BROOKE: (Finally noticing Jake.) And hello, Mrs Jagielski, you two are totally in bed together(!) (Backs up.)

(Jake smiles at Jenny.)

PEYTON: (Threateningly) Brooke(!)

BROOKE: This is great, I am gonna go… and do… almost rich girl things and you are going to call me later with the details.

(She smiles, jumps about a bit and leaves.)

(Jake turns and points at Jenny.)

JENNY: Dada.

JAKE: (Joyfully) She’s saying ‘dada’!

(Peyton laughs loudly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Nathan takes yoghurt and some more things out of the fridge and puts them into his bag. He turns back to the fridge to get more things. Lucas walks to the fridge and takes out a bottle of water.)

LUCAS: Just leave the caviar. I’ve acquired a taste for it. (Smiles at Nathan.)

(Lucas laughs and turns to sit at the table while Nathan continues to rummage around the fridge.)

LUCAS: You know, there’s gonna be free food at Keith’s wedding today.

NATHAN: (Looks at him and smirks.) No thank you. I’m not going to that. (Puts some cans in his bag.)

LUCAS: You really gonna do that to Keith?

NATHAN: Look who’s talking. I can’t believe you’re actually gonna let them go through with it.

LUCAS: He loves her… and she loves him. She just made a mistake. (His double meaning is quite obvious.) You gonna crucify her for the rest of her life?

NATHAN: Haley called this morning.

LUCAS: (Pleased) That’s great.

NATHAN: Yeah, to tell me she’s gonna be on TV today. You believe that?

LUCAS: (Shrugs) It’s still awesome for her, man.

NATHAN: (Turning back to the fridge.) Yeah, whatever. (Takes a bottle.)

LUCAS: Look, Nate, I think you should come to the wedding, man. A lot of people miss you.

(Nathan looks at his brother but doesn’t reply.)

DEB: (o.s) Nathan(!) (Smiles as she enters the room, pleased to see her son.) I’m so glad you’re here. Um,… let me make you some eggs?

NATHAN: (Barely looking at her.) I think you’re out. (He shuts the fridge.)

(He sighs and turns to his bag as Deb watches him, heartbroken.)

DEB: It’s so good to see you.

(Nathan takes his bag and walks past Lucas and out of the house. Lucas feels bad for Deb. She sighs.)

LUCAS: Sorry. (He stands and walks in the same direction.)

(Deb stands and sighs for a while before turning to the cabinet on her right and opening it. She rummages around and takes out a bottle of pills, throwing a quick glance behind her to make sure that no one’s looking. She opens it with shaking hands and takes out two pills.)

(She pours herself a glass of water and takes one pill, then takes the other. The camera pans to show Lucas leaning against the far wall, looking at her but keeping out of her eyesight. His expression is set and he backs away slowly.)

(Deb sighs.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. JULES’ HOUSE – FRONT PORCH – DAY]

(Dan is sitting oh the porch chair, smiling. The door opens and Jules stands there, in a red robe.)

DAN: (Barely turning to look at her.) Great day for a wedding. (Smiles)

JULES: What do you want?

DAN: (Reaches out in front and grabs something.) Bought you a present.

(He opens a jewellery box and hold out a sapphire and diamond necklace to her.)

DAN: Something blue, right?

(Jules takes it from him for a closer look. She shuts the box.)

JULES: I’m not taking it!(!) (Holds it out to him.)

DAN: (Holds a hand up.) Come on, it’s your final payment.

JULES: You said we were done.

DAN: And we are. (Turns to her and smirks.) Just wanted to say ‘welcome to the family’.

(He stands.)

JULES: So easy for you, isn’t it?

(Dan pauses. He looks forward as he listens to her.)

JULES: (Mockingly) Dan Scott; king of the world. (Smiles) But someday, somebody’s gonna bring you down and I’m gonna watch.

DAN: Don’t hold your breath, sweetheart.

(Jules glares at him as he walks away.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ (STOCK) – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Karen takes cookies out of the oven as people work in the kitchen. She places them at the front. Andy enters the café, holding a folder and looking down at it.)

(Karen sees him and hurries to him.)

KAREN: Did you talk to your investigator?

ANDY: I did.

KAREN: (Expectantly) Anything I can use to get Lucas back?

ANDY: (Nods) Yeah. Have you ever heard of Emily Chambers?

KAREN: No, why?

ANDY: I think Dan’s having an affair.

(Karen looks at Andy, stunned. She looks at the folder.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ (STOCK) – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Karen’s looking through the folder. She flips past a photocopy of a cheque for two thousand dollars, made out to Emily Chambers and signed by Dan.)

(She smiles and walks to Andy.)

KAREN: Emily Chambers? I’ve never even heard of her.

ANDY: Well, Dan sure has. He’s paying her rent, (Karen looks back at the folder.) her bills; personal cheque.

KAREN: (Scoffs) Well, why am I even surprised? (Looks up at Andy, eyes wide.) Poor Deb(!)

ANDY: Karen, I-I know you care for Deb but… Dan’s not fighting fair here. If we wanna get Lucas back, we have to b*at him at his own game. My guy’s working on a photo; we should find Emily first.

(Karen looks at him sadly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. LIQUOR STORE – DAY]

(Whitey’s looking at bottles of alcohol. He’s unsure of which one to buy. Nathan walks in behind him and pauses.)

NATHAN: (Cockily) Little liquid courage for the groom?

WHITEY: (Not turning) Hello, Nathan.

NATHAN: It’s not too late to stop him, you know? (Whitey puts the bottle back and picks up another.) Tell him what kind of hell he’s really in for… like someone should have done for me.

WHITEY: (Laughs) You’re getting pretty good at the moody, broody bit, aren’t you? Plan to give Lucas a run for his money? (Puts that bottle back, too.)

NATHAN: Whatever(!) (Turns and walks to the fridge full of beer cases and bottles.) Let’s have it.

WHITEY: And what’s that?

NATHAN: (Opens the door.) The inspirational story. (Takes out a case of beer.) Isn’t this the part where you tell me everything’s gonna be OK? (Shuts the door.)

WHITEY: (Turns to him with a mocking smile.) I’m sorry; the pity store’s closed today. (His smile turns into a glare. He turns back.) Besides, I’m not sure you’re worth it anymore.

NATHAN: (Shrugs) Great(!)

WHITEY: (Picks his bottle and heads for the checkout.) Look son, you took a big risk and I admire you for that, (Nathan follows him.) but it’s easy to be happy when things are going well. (Nathan puts his case up too.) Marriage is about making it through, staying together even when things turn to crap. (He counts his money.)

NATHAN: Looks like I got my story anyway.

WHITEY: (Turns to Nathan.) Will you grow the hell up?! You might not like Haley very much right now, but she’s still your wife and where I come from, that still means something, whether like it or not!

(Nathan stares and Whitey smiles viciously.)

WHITEY: There’s your story. (To the shopkeeper.) By the way, his ID’s fake.

(Nathan sighs as the shopkeeper takes his lager away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Lucas opens the cupboard and takes out the bottle of pills. He looks behind, much like Deb did, before reading the label.)

(The pills are prescribed to Deb and come with a warning of schedule II control abuse liability. They are basically, very powerful painkillers.)

(A door opens off-screen.)

BROOKE: KNOCK KNOCK!

(Lucas almost drops the bottle in his surprise. He puts a hand to his head. Brooke appears in the doorway, laughing. He puts the bottle back.)

LUCAS: Jeez! Uh… (Shuts the cupboard door and sighs in relief.) crazy girl, what are you doing to my heart?

(Brooke walks forward.)

BROOKE: Good thing you don’t have that genetic defect(!) (Jumps up and sits on the worktop.)

LUCAS: (Evasively) Yeah. What’re you doing here?

BROOKE: Well, I just came by to let you know that my safe ride’s program; ‘DW not I’, is officially up and running so pass the word at the reception. (Lucas opens another cupboard door, all the while looking at her.) You know, drunk and bitter bridesmaids and… (Shrugs) Deb.

LUCAS: (Confused) Yeah.

BROOKE: (Very obviously.) It’s a shame I’m… not gonna be there myself.

(Lucas looks at her, raising an eyebrow.)

BROOKE: (Quickly) To let everyone know… about the program.

LUCAS: Uh-huh(!)

BROOKE: (Smiling) What?

LUCAS: (Shuts the cupboard.) I don’t know; big… romantic ceremony,… (Brooke sighs longingly.) followed by a big fancy party. Wow(!)

BROOKE: (Groans sadly.) Oh,… I know. (Lucas walks around her and she turns to watch him.) And then there’s the flowers and the dresses and the vows(!)

LUCAS: Not to mention my best man speech.

BROOKE: Come on, you’re k*lling me. You know I’m a sucker for weddings! Any (Gets off the counter.) chance you could use a date, in a just friends sorta way to pal around with?

LUCAS: (Eyes her.) What about Felix?

BROOKE: Grounded; his parents found out the ‘Bash for Brooke’… and besides, we said we were gonna try to be friends. (Smiles)

LUCAS: Yeah, we did. (Nods)

BROOKE: (Looking at him, short of begging.) Please. Please, Lucas(!) Please, please, please, I wanna go so bad!

(Lucas looks away, laughing silently.)

LUCAS: (Giving in.) OK.

BROOKE: Yay! (Holds up her arms in victory.)

LUCAS: It’s a date. (Off Brooke approaching objection.) Kinda - sorta - not really.

BROOKE: Yeah, whatever, I’m in. Just… pick me up early.

(She smiles and leaves the house.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE (STOCK) – DAY]

CUT TO:

(Peyton is standing in front of the mirror, holding a top to herself, she’s trying to see how good it looks. Brooke walks into the room, Peyton sees her through the mirror.)

BROOKE: (Smirking) Hello, hottie!

PEYTON: (Turning) Oh,… yeah, well, (Holds the dress up.) this one wasn’t my mom’s, so… (Smiles)

BROOKE: Yeah, well,… (Opens her coat to show her dress.) neither was this one(!)

(Peyton gapes at the sparkly multicoloured dress.)

PEYTON: Whoa(!)

BROOKE: (Laughs) I know, I kinda Anne Frank’d a couple things in the attic before the yard sale.

PEYTON: So you’re going to the wedding?

BROOKE: Um-hum. (Uncertainly) With… Lucas. (Pause) Just as friends. (Sits on Peyton’s bed.)

PEYTON: (Humouring her.) Really?

BROOKE: (Smiling) Come on, love triangles are so last season.

PEYTON: (Shrugs) So, I mean, Felix is totally cool with it, right?

BROOKE: (Guiltily) …I actually haven’t, um… told him yet.

PEYTON: (Wide-eyed) Brooke(!)

BROOKE: I know, it’s just, I’ve never just been friends with a guy before except Mouth and… that’s different.

PEYTON: (Putting on earrings.) Well how’s it going?

BROOKE: Good(!) Felix is my boyfriend, Lucas and I are just friends. I promise. (Smiles thankfully.) But I love you for looking out for me.

PEYTON: OK. (Turns back to the mirror.)

BROOKE: (Walks to her.) On the subject of boys; how are things going with Jake? (Crosses her arms.)

PEYTON: (Shrugs) You know, still taking it slow.

BROOKE: Oh, slow’s good, (Nudges her with her hip.) fast is better(!)

(Peyton laughs.)

PEYTON: (Pushes her lightly.) Shut up(!)

(They laugh.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – DAN AND DEB’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Deb is sitting at her vanity. She’s getting ready. Lucas is seen through the slightly open door. He knocks. Deb turns to see who it is.)

DEB: Lucas, hi.

LUCAS: (Enters slightly.) Hey.

DEB: You better get dressed. (Turns back to the mirror and combs her hair.)

LUCAS: Yeah, I know. I know Nathan was kind of abrupt this morning,… just wanted to make sure you were OK.

DEB: (Looks at his reflection.) I’m fine. (Smiles)

LUCAS: Deb,… after my accident,… the doctors prescribed me some… really powerful painkillers (Deb stares at her reflection.) except for they gave them to my mom… because they knew how easy it would be for me… (Deb turns to him, slowly and angrily.) or anyone for that matter to become addicted.

DEB: (Forcefully calm.) Have you been spying on me?

LUCAS: I was just-

DEB: You are a guest in my house, Lucas… and as long as you’re living under my roof, I would appreciate you not snooping around in my life(!)

LUCAS: (Shakes his head.) Deb, I’m just trying to help.

DEB: Oh, go-yeah, that’s just what I need; an adolescent boy to solve all my problems.

LUCAS: Deb(!)

DEB: (Stands) Get the hell outta here, Lucas. (Walks to him.) You are way outta line, and way out of your league(!)

(Lucas backs up as she slams the door in his face. He looks down and turns away from the door. On the other side, Deb looks around, worriedly.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – KAREN’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Andy finishes zipping Karen’s dress up. She smiles appreciatively into the mirror and smoothes the dress down.)

ANDY: (Donning his jacket.) So you, uh, (Indicates the both of them.) still think this looks weird?

KAREN: Uh-um. (Shakes her head.) And it feels pretty good, too.

ANDY: (Laughs) (Without thinking.) I love you.

(Andy halts as he realises what just slipped out. Karen is staring forward, her back to him; worry etched into her face.)

ANDY: …Oh god, that,… that kinda came out, didn’t it?

(The worry’s gone as Andy continues to struggle.)

ANDY: Not that I,… not that I don’t mean it, coz,… I’ve been dying to say that for a-for a while now, it just, it just never seems like the right time. (Karen turns to him.) You know, what with Lucas being thrown into jail an-and me-me getting a private investigator, it’s just… well, uh, (He walks up to her.) I love you. I love your mind, I love your heart, I love picturing our future together. (Karen gives him a look.) I mean, I-I hate the thought of you… (Shrugs) ever not being in my life.

KAREN: Andy-

ANDY: An-and, I don’t want you to say anything. You… know, I just… I just had to get that out. (Tries to turn.)

KAREN: (Smiling) I love you too.

(He turns to her, delighted.)

ANDY: I was hoping you’d say that!

(They kiss.)

CUT TO:

(Jake walks into Peyton’s bedroom.)

JAKE: Peyton!

PEYTON: I’m so sorry, I’m not ready yet. Just give me two seconds. I’m being a total girl.

JAKE: (Checking his watch.) That’s OK, we got time.

(He stands and waits. Peyton’s bathroom door opens and she exits. She wearing a green, strapless, dress and smiling.)

JAKE: (Speechless) Wow(!) (Scoffs) ‘Total girl’ is right(!)

(Peyton smiles as he approaches her.)

JAKE: It’s a, uh,… good thing that we’re taking it slow, right?

PEYTON: Yeah. (Whispers) Slow.

JAKE: Yeah.

(There’s a b*at before they kiss. She takes his suit jacket off.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KEITH’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM –DAY]

(Keith puts his suit on and looks in the mirror. He straightens his clothes and picks up the box with the ring. He looks at if before closing the box and pocketing it.)

FADE TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Nathan stops walking and looks down their wedding picture and the Polaroid snapshot that Deb put in it. The camera fades back to his face and then back to the picture.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – HALLWAY – DAY]

(There’s a framed picture of Dan and Deb on their wedding day – it’s a very bad fake. Deb is leaning on the shelf and looks at it. She looks up into the mirror in front of her.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Jules stands in front of the mirror and looks at herself in a lace wedding dress. She smiles at her reflection.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton and Jake’s clothes are strewn all over the floor. The camera pans across it before moving to the bed where the pair are very much naked. The bedcovers barely cover anything. There are a series of fade outs as the viewers get various sh*ts of their faces as they go at it – they are going to be late.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. DAVIS RESIDENCE – FRONT DRIVE – DAY]

(Lucas walks up to Brooke as she walks down the path smiling.)

LUCAS: Hi.

BROOKE: Hi.

LUCAS: (Looks at her.) You know you look amazing, right?

BROOKE: (Laughs embarrassedly.) Thanks.

(They walk to Lucas’ car and he holds the passenger door open for her. She gets in and he closes the door. Brooke looks on, smiling.)

CUT TO:

(Peyton and Jake have finished and are just lying in bed.)

JAKE: How’re you feeling?

PEYTON: (Looks at him.) Happy.

JAKE: (Smiles) Yeah, me too.

(He picks up his watch from the bedside table and looks at the time.)

JAKE: Man, we’re gonna be late.

PEYTON: Weddings always start a little bit late anyway, right?

JAKE: At least half an hour.

(The camera zooms out slowly.)

PEYTON: …Works for me.

(They go at it again.)

FADE TO:

[INT. CHURCH – SEATING AREA – DAY]

(Brooke and Lucas walk into the place where the party will take place. There is an ice statue of two swans, with their heads bowed and touching, as the centrepiece.)

BROOKE: (Awed) Oh, it’s beautiful(!) Thank you for bringing me, Lucas.

LUCAS: (Smiles at her.) You’re welcome.

(Brooke touches the ice statue and grins.)

LUCAS: So,… how are things with Felix?

BROOKE: …Good! Great(!)

LUCAS: Yeah?

BROOKE: Yeah. (Nods) He helped me with my campaign and… threw me a party. (Smiles)

LUCAS: So you guys are good. (Looks at her.)

BROOKE: I don’t know. He’s been… so sweet. (Pause) Really, but,… lately, I just kinda find myself feeling… (Grins at him.) independent(!) Amazingly. I don’t even know if I want a boyfriend right now(!)

LUCAS: I guess we’re both… finding a new way… for ourselves, huh?

BROOKE: (Smiles) I guess so.

(They smile at each other.)

CUT TO:

[INT. STUDIO – BACKSTAGE – DAY]

BACKSTAGE GUY: OK, listen up, you go out, they’ll ask you a couple of questions. (Walks up to Haley and Chris.) Now keep it positive. You’re thrilled to be on TV. It’s all about living the dream. (Shakes Chris’ hand.)

CHRIS: (Nods) Yeah.

HALEY: Absolutely.

BACKSTAGE GUY: Oh, (Clicks his fingers and turns back to Haley.) take off the wedding ring.

HALEY: (Dumbfounded) What!?

BACKSTAGE GUY: It’s a love song, Haley. Look, you and Chris, I mean, look, you sound like a couple, you look like a couple, (Chris smiles.) let them think you’re a couple.

HALEY: But we’re not a couple(!)

BACKSTAGE GUY: Details.

CHRIS: Yeah, come on, Haley.

(Haley sighs and looks at him.)

BACKSTAGE GUY: Alright, look,… the girls should wanna be you and the guys should wanna be with you, alright, the wedding ring kinda gets in the way of it all.

CHRIS: For some people.

(Haley looks at him.)

BACKSTAGE GUY: OK, well, you guys can figure it out but… trust me, I’d lose the ring. (His phone rings and he answers it.) (Into the phone.) I’m leaving right now!

HALEY: (Trying to stop him.) Listen, I’m not- (He walks away. Haley sighs and stops.) (To Chris.) I can not believe you’re asking me to do this!

CHRIS: (Playing with her naivety again.) Haley, this is our sh*t(!) Nothing else matters.

HALEY: Nathan matters!

CHRIS: Then what are you doing here? Listen, you made a decision. Don’t blink now! (Apparently, nobody taught him that pointing is rude.)

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Nathan is lying on the couch, tapping the remote on his leg. We can clearly see his wedding ring. Deciding, he sits up and turns the TV on to Gavin DeGraw singing Chariot.)

(It is quite obvious to see that the video was sh*t during last season at Karen’s café during the open mic night.)

NICK ZANO: Alright, I’m Nick Zano and this is Totally Live Week. That was Chariot, the new one from Gavin DeGraw who’s on tour right now with The Wreakers, otherwise known as Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp. Also on that tour are two newcomers who’s single, When the Stars Go Blue drops next Tuesday, (Haley and Chris are chatting.) we’re here live with Chris Keller and Haley James.

HALEY: (Quickly) Haley James-Scott.

(Nathan smiles as he watches.)

NICK ZANO: Uh-oh, three name roll. Girls with three names are always trouble.

(Haley laughs.)

CHRIS: Ah, this one’s no different.

NICK ZANO: Oh, OK. Now, you guys have great chemistry; obviously a great sound, (Nathan’s smile drops.) now tell the truth, you a couple in real life?

(Haley and Chris laugh.)

HALEY: Um, actually-

CHRIS: (Talks over her and pts his arm around her shouldre.) You know, the music never lies. (Grins)

(Haley looks straight at the camera. Nathan blinks and looks away.)

NICK ZANO: Say no more! You heard it here first. (Nathan can’t believe what he’s hearing.) Alright, let’s take another look at those tour dates and we’ll be back, right after this.

(Nathan looks back at the TV, betrayed.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE CHURCH – FRONT ENTRANCE – DAY]

(The camera is focussed on the church before panning down to Dan and Deb greeting guests.)

DAN: Same colour as that shirt. You know where you’re sitting, right?

(Dan shakes a woman’s hand as she nods.)

DAN: See you inside.

(He shakes the hand of a man who was just talking to Deb. A photographer approaches Dan and Deb.)

PHOTOGRAPHER: (Clapping Dan on the back.) Can I get one of you two?

DAN: Absolutely.

(The photographer takes a picture and the frame freezes, turning black and white, for a b*at. He nods at them and walks away.)

DAN: Well, well, well, my son cleans up good.

(Lucas walks up with Brooke.)

LUCAS: (Stopping in front of him.) Thank you. (Smiles) How are you, Deb?

DEB: (Tension palpable.) Great(!) The place is beautiful.

LUCAS: I think we’re gonna head inside.

(Lucas and Brooke walk away.)

DAN: Save a slow dance for me Miss. Davis.

BROOKE: OK(!) (Under her breath to Lucas.) You old perv(!)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CURCH – WALKWAY – DAY]

(Lucas and Brooke walk down a side together.)

LUCAS: I’m sorry.

BROOKE: It’s OK. I get worse than that from drunk high school boys every Saturday night.

LUCAS: Yeah, but it’s worse when it’s not drunken high school boys but your dad(!)

BROOKE: (Looks at him, surprised.) I’ve never heard you call him that before.

LUCAS: (Evasively) I’m trying it out. See how it sounds.

BROOKE: And? What do you think?

(They come to a halt in front of the signing-in book. Lucas groans.)

BROOKE: (Rubbing her arms.) OK, it’s freezing in here.

LUCAS: (Rubs her arm.) Yeah, that’s probably by design; Keith’s kind of a sweater, especially when he’s nervous.

BROOKE: (Amused) OK, things I never needed to know.

(Lucas takes his jacket off.)

LUCAS: (Nods) Sorry.

(Brooke laughs.)

LUCAS: Look, here you go.

BROOKE: Thank you.

(He puts his jacket around her shoulders.)

LUCAS: So look, I have to go see Keith, you know, start being the best man. (Laughs) You gonna be OK?

BROOKE: Well, can your ego handle it if I tell you I just needed someone to get me in the door?

LUCAS: (Shakes his head.) Not really.

BROOKE: Then, boy, I am gonna miss you.

LUCAS: (Laughs) Yeah.

(He walks away as Brooke laughs. She hears a rustling as she moves and inspects. She takes out a folded up piece of paper. She looks back at where Lucas left before looking down at the paper and unfolding it.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CHURCH – SEATING AREA – DAY]

(Keith is standing around, alone, with a Champaign glass in hand.)

LUCAS: (Approaching from behind.) Old habits die hard, huh?

KEITH: (Turns and laughs.) It’s-it’s just water, smart ass.

LUCAS: (Laughs) Yeah.

KEITH: It’s just so damn hot in there. (Tugs at his collar.)

LUCAS: You’re gonna be fine.

KEITH: Yeah, yeah, I know. But, uh, I’m still glad you’re here though. Even if you are still living with the Devil.

(Lucas groans again. Keith smiles and nods.)

KEITH: Hey, listen, I don’t-I don’t wanna get mushy but, um, I just wanna say thanks.

LUCAS: For what?

KEITH: Just… for being you, and for being my best man. You really are it, you know? And I’m real proud of the man you’re turning out to be.

(Lucas smiles.)

LUCAS: Nah, (Slaps him arm.) who do you think I learned it from?

(Keith looks to Lucas’s side slightly and sees Karen at the dining table with a bowl of roses, laying them out. Karen looks up, sees him, and smiles.)

KEITH: Um, just… give me a second, huh? (Puts the glass down and walks to Karen.)

LUCAS: Yeah, I’ll be inside.

(Keith walks to Karen and she looks up.)

KAREN: (Smiling) You look amazing.

KEITH: (Smiles proudly.) Thanks. So do you… (Shrugs) as always.

KAREN: (Smiles) It’s good to see you so happy. Jules is great.

KEITH: (Nods) Yeah, she is. It’s like I finally found my place in the world and it was, uh, it was right here all along.

KAREN: (Tensely) I’m glad.

KEITH: (Sighs and holds out his arms.) Come here.

(Karen walks to him and hugs him. They smile and let go.)

KEITH: Also, I really appreciate you and Deb standing up for Jules, you know? She really doesn’t have anybody else.

KAREN: Of course. (Nods)

KEITH: Thank you… and, um, now I’ve got some vows to go make.

KAREN: Yes you do(!) (Smiles) I’ll see you up there.

KEITH: OK. (Turns and leaves.)

(Karen picks up the basket of roses again and walks into the back where people are cooking. Andy shuts his phone, looking worried. Karen looks at him.)

KAREN: Is everything OK?

ANDY: (Still looking down.) Yeah. I just gotta go pick something up real quick.

KAREN: Right now?

ANDY: Yeah, I’ll be right back, trust me. I wouldn’t miss seeing you walk down that aisle. (Kisses her.)

(Karen smiles and turns away after he leaves.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – WALKWAY – DAY]

(Brooke is reapplying her eye make-up. She sniffs. The shadow of someone appears as they sit next to her.)

BROOKE: (Looking away.) Don’t look at me. (Sniffs some more.)

(Lucas doesn’t listen and nudges her.)

LUCAS: (Concerned) Have you been crying?

BROOKE: Just tearing up a little. (Sighs) I read your speech.

LUCAS: Brooke(!)

BROOKE: (Smiles and hands his jacket back.) Don’t leave your journal where I can find that, either. (Lucas smiles.) It was beautiful. (Lucas looks at her and she recites.) ‘Remember tonight for it is the beginning of always’.

LUCAS: …That’s Dante. We read him last semester.

BROOKE: (Embarrassed) And I need to pay more attention in English.

(They laugh.)

LUCAS: The rest is me. (Smiles at her.)

BROOKE: (Completely taken.) The part about taking chances and believing in the possibility, even when life has given you every reason not to believe… (She smiles happily.)

LUCAS: That’s what’s so great about weddings; you know, two people come together… and even if it’s just for one night, they make us believe again.

BROOKE: (Smiles) Stop(!) I don’t have anymore tissues(!) (Laughs)

LUCAS: (Reaches into his pocket and takes out a huge handkerchief.) Here. (Shakes it open.)

BROOKE: (Rubbing gently at her eyes. She accepts it.) I just hope at my wedding, someone says something that nice about me.

LUCAS: I think you can count on that.

(Brooke takes one look at the couple descending the stairs and stands with a gasp.)

BROOKE: (Open-mouthed) Oh my god(!) (The photographer comes up behind her.) You guys totally did it(!)

(Snapshot sound effect and the frame freezes, black and white, on Peyton and Jake’s dumbfounded looks. They’ve been caught.)

PEYTON: Um,… (She straightens Jake’s tie and looks at Brooke embarrassedly.) Uh, Brooke, we’re – we’re in a church(!)

BROOKE: (Whispering forcefully.) So?(!) If I can tell, (Looks up and points.) so can He(!)

(Peyton and Jake laugh embarrassedly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. OUTHOUSE - CHANGING ROOMS – DAY]

(Keith walks into the room. Whitey’s straightening his bowtie.)

WHITEY: Black tie; I haven’t worn one of these things since d*ck Nixon was in office. (Turns to Keith.) Look what happened to him.

KEITH: (Straightens Whitey’s tie.) Well, I, um, I appreciate the effort. (Smile happily.)

WHITEY: I feel like a penguin(!) (Frowns and turns away again.)

(Keith laughs.)

WHITEY: Where’re your folks?

KEITH: Oh, um,… (Amused) they’re on safari, believe it or not. Dad’s off, uh, k*lling big animals or something.

WHITEY: What has happened to the world for god’s sake; their son’s getting married!

KEITH: (Shrugs) Yeah well, you know, they offered to cancel but I knew Royal would just pout about it the whole time so I - I just told them to come on down next month and meet Jules. (Whitey shakes his head.) So, for right now, you’re all I got.

WHITEY: Lord help you if that’s true. (Takes out a flask from his pocket and unscrews the top.) Maybe you’d like a little boost from Mr J.D. (He holds up the flask.

KEITH: (Hesitates) Um… actually (Smiles) I think I’m gonna do this one sober.

(Whitey nods and takes a swig.)

NATHAN: (o.s) True love! That’s a good one.

(Whitey and Keith turn to look at the widow, where Nathan’s drunken voice is coming from.)

NATHAN: (Tipsy) Don’t… do it, Keith! Just get out while you can! It’s all a lie!

(Nathan is standing outside, looking into the window with beer in one hand. He’s holding his arms out. He takes a drink and staggers about. Whitey and Keith walk to the window.)

NATHAN: There’s no such thing as forever(!)

(He throws the bottle and it smashes off-screen. He looks at it.)

DAN: (o.s) What the hell are you doing?(!) (He comes rushing out of the main church.) This is a church for god’s sake! (Deb appears behind him.)

NATHAN: Oh, shut your hole you freaking hypocrite(!) (Points at him.) I know what you did.

DEB: (Rushing forward.) Nathan, it’s OK. Let us help you.

NATHAN: Do what?

DEB: Be happy again.

NATHAN: (Laughs) Happy? You don’t even know how to be happy, mom. Haley and I never stood a chance with you.

DEB: Is that what you think?

NATHAN: (Through an epiphany.) You, (Points at Dan.) you hire Chris too? (Walks to him.) Huh?

DAN: (Low but harsh.) Don’t make me knock you out, son.

NATHAN: (Wavering on his feet.) Screw you, you sick son of a bitch(!)

(Dan makes to grab him but even in his drunken state, Nathan can keep his father from grabbing him. There’s a lot of scuffling before Lucas gets in the middle.)

LUCAS: Hey, come on! Come on. (To Nathan) Hey(!) (To Dan.) Hey(!) (He looks at Nathan as he struggles to hold him back.) Don’t do this to Keith. Not here. (Nathan stops struggling.) You alright?

(Nathan looks at Dan.)

LUCAS: Come on. (They walk past Nathan’s parents.)

DEB: Nate-

(Nathan throws his arms out, dismissing her as he and Lucas walks away. Deb watches him sadly.)

LUCAS: (o.s) What’re you doing, man?

(Nathan is holding onto Lucas to keep himself from falling.)

NATHAN: (Struggling to speak.) She said she was with Chris… on national TV.

LUCAS: I don’t believe it.

NATHAN: Neither did I. It’s really over, huh?

LUCAS: Only if you say it is.

NATHAN: (Adopting a lost puppy look.) I’m hurting, Luke. (Sighs)

LUCAS: (Uncomfortably pats his brother.) It’s gonna be OK.

NATHAN: (Face screwed up as he touches his chest.) No, I mean I think I’m gonna puke(!) (He pushes Lucas away as he falls.)

LUCAS: Hey-

(Nathan throws-up off-screen. The sounds are disgusting. Lucas frowns at the mess and looks away.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE CHURCH – ROAD – DAY]

(A taxi with a sign on top that reads: ‘DW not I, SPONSORED BY TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT COUNCIL’ is parked at the side of the road. Brooke is standing there.)

BROOKE: (o.s) ‘DW not I’ at your service(!) (Laughs)

LUCAS: OK, watch your head. (Lucas puts Nathan into the back of the taxi while Brooke watches.)

(Lucas shuts the door.)

BROOKE: OK, this is perfect; and I don’t mean what happened today, just for ‘DW not I’, it’s so great that Nathan got smashed(!) (She’s giddy at her new service.)

(Lucas laughs and walks to the driver who just happens to be a Tree Hill High student.)

LUCAS: (Exhaling) Just make sure he gets inside, OK? (Gives him some money.)

STUDENT: Thanks.

(Lucas walks back to Brooke who waves at the car.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE CHURCH – FRONT ENTRANCE – DAY]

(Karen rushes forward.)

KAREN: (Relieved) Oh, thank god you’re back(!)

ANDY: Yeah, we have a problem. (He’s holding an envelope.)

KAREN: I know, Nathan’s a mess and we have to start-

ANDY: (Rushing on.) I’ve found Emily Chambers.

KAREN: What(!)?

(Andy opens the envelope and takes out some papers.)

ANDY: Emily Chambers is Jules.

(There’s a photocopy of her drivers licence. Her birth date shown makes her 30, not 26 like Keith believes.)

(The camera pans up to show Jules getting out of the back of a limo and walking forward.)

(Birdseye view of Karen and Andy’s shocked faces. The camera zooms in on them.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. THE CHURCH – BACKROOM – DAY]

(Karen opens the door and enters, stern expression obvious.)

KAREN: (Forcefully calm.) You all set?

(Jules turns to her, smiling.)

JULES: Yeah, just gotta get my veil. She bends down and picks it up.

KAREN: Sure, let me help you with that, (Pause) Emily.

(Jules looks up like a deer caught in headlights. She stands up straight.)

JULES: Did Lucas tell you?

KAREN: (Scoffs disbelievingly.) …He knows that you’re having an affair with Dan?(!)

JULES: (Frowning) I’m not having an affair with Dan.

KAREN: Oh, really? (Walks forward slowly.) then tell me, why would Dan put you up in an apartment and pay all your bills… and seemingly control every detail of your life unless…? (Understanding)

(Jules looks away in anguish.)

KAREN: Oh my god(!) It’s Keith. (Jules looks down.) He’s paying you to get back at Keith(!)

JULES: (Closes her eyes painfully.) He was.

KAREN: (Distressed) You’re a whore(!)

JULES: No. I was in trouble. The wedding was never part of the plan. It changed. I told Dan I wanted out. I fell in love with Keith for real.

KAREN: How could you do that to Keith? After everything that he has been through(!)

JULES: You mean after everything you’ve put him through?

(Karen lunges and slaps Jules hard on her face. Jules turns back slowly.)

KAREN: (Voice throbbing with anger.) How dare you(!)

JULES: How dare you. (Pause) You didn’t want him. Now that he’s actually found someone who loves him back,… you wanna take that away from him, too?

KAREN: (Her voice is calm but there are tears in her eyes.) I want him to know… who you really are.

(Karen just stares Jules down. There’s a knock on the door and it opens to Deb.)

DEB: Moment of truth(!) (Smiles and shuts the door.)

(Jules looks at the door, panicked. She looks back down at Karen.)

JULES: He’s happy, Karen. (Pause) Can’t you just let him be happy?

(Karen considers but doesn’t answer.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CHURCH – MAIN ROOM – DAY]

(sh*t of Jake, Peyton and Brooke sitting on the bench seats. Brooke leans into Peyton.)

BROOKE: (Mumbling) Was it awesome? Just give me a hint.

(Peyton looks at Brooke, unable to believe that she could be so one tracked.)

PEYTON: Brooke(!) (She doesn’t elaborate.)

BROOKE: I know we’re in a church. So blink once if it was good and twice if it was better than that. (Straightens up.)

(Peyton looks at Jake before turning to Brooke and blinking once, twice and then rapidly, blinking incessantly.)

BROOKE: (Giddily) Ooo, my god, I love weddings(!) (Claps her hands.)

(Jake looks at them curiously. Peyton and Brooke laugh nervously at him. Brooke waves. Jake whispers something inaudible to Peyton.)

(Keith, Lucas and Whitey enter from a side door and walk down. Brooke waves at Lucas. They stop at the front and turn to face the guests. Dan is sitting at the front on his own seeing as how his wife is a bridesmaid and his son is drunk. He nods at Keith.)

(Deb walks down from the end and bumps into Andy. She smiles at him and walks on. Karen walks down behind her.)

ANDY: You OK?

KAREN: I don’t know.

ANDY: What’d she say?

KAREN: It’s not Dan. She loves Keith.

ANDY: And you believe her?

(Karen pauses and looks down the aisle to Keith who is standing there, grinning.)

KAREN: (Sighs) I think I have to.

(Deb walks up with two bouquets of flowers.)

DEB: That’s our cue, gotta go. (Smiles and gives one bouquet to Karen.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – BACKROOM – DAY]

(Jules stands in front of the mirror, ready to go down. She smoothes her dress down and adjusts her straps. The camera rotates to her face as she puts the veil over her head.)

CUT TO:

[INT. CHURCH – MAIN ROOM – DAY]

(Deb walks down the aisle alone, holding the bouquet and smiling.)

(Peyton whispers something to Jake and laughs. Brooke whispers something to Peyton.)

(Keith, Lucas and Whitey stand there, smiling.)

(Deb walks past and Karen enters, holding the same bouquet and walking down the aisle slowly. Deb walks past Keith and stands in her rightful place.)

KEITH: (To Lucas.) Your mom looks beautiful.

(Lucas smiles at him and looks back at his mother. Karen walks slowly, the worry still on the surface. Karen avoids his gaze as she stands beside Deb. Dan watches her. Karen smiles slightly.)

(The wedding march starts up and Keith faces forward. Dan smirks and stands when everyone else does but he doesn’t turn to the entrance like the guests do, he watches his brother. The music plays and everyone waits patiently. Karen is looking worriedly at the door.)

(The music keeps playing and Jules doesn’t appear. Karen looks at Keith but he’s facing the door, still waiting but his expression has changed to fear. He shuffles and people start to turn back around, muttering amongst themselves.)

(Keith looks at Lucas nervously. Karen looks at Keith and then at Dan. He’s smirking enough for everyone up front to see, but none of them are paying any attention to him. Keith frowns and Andy runs into the hall. He stops before walking up the aisle.)

ANDY: (Walks slowly.) (Hopelessly) I’m sorry. She left.

(There are gasps of shock and disbelief. Keith looks down. He doesn’t understand. Camera cuts to Dan who is still smirking.)

(Jake, Peyton and Brooke turn as one to look at Keith as do Karen and Deb.)

KEITH: (To Lucas.) Give me your keys(!)

LUCAS: Keith-

KEITH: Just give me your keys(!)

(Lucas hands the keys over. Keith walks down the aisle quickly.)

KAREN: Keith(!)

(He doesn’t stop. Karen gives her bouquet to Deb and follows Keith.)

KAREN: Keith!

(Lucas rushes after the pair as Dan stands and smirks the world to hell. He looks at Deb before looking away.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE CHURCH – PARKING LOT – DAY]

(Lucas runs out as Keith starts the car, Karen behind Lucas.)

LUCAS: KEITH!

(He gets to the car just as Keith drives off. Dan walks out behind the pair. Lucas and Karen watch the car. Lucas sees Dan and st*lks up to him.)

LUCAS: You said you were done(!) That you’d leave them alone.

DAN: I didn’t do anything. I promise you Lucas; I wouldn’t jeopardise my relationship with you again.

LUCAS: You – sick – bastard(!)

KAREN: (Looks away.) I threatened to tell Keith.

(Lucas turns to look at his mother.)

KAREN: (Sorrowfully) (To Dan.) I found out about your arrangement and I went to Jules. (Sighs) And I threatened to tell the truth.

(Lucas can’t believe it. Dan can’t believe how well his plan came together and we see the beginning of another world class smirk form. Dan walks to Karen.)

DAN: Nice work, Cupid. (Nods) This one’s on you.

(He looks at her then turns and leaves. She looks down dejectedly then back up at Lucas. He takes his speech out of his pocket and looks at it. Without a word, he crumples it, bins it and walks away.)

(The camera pans into the bin where Lucas’ miraculously not-crumpled speech is lying.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Remember tonight, for it is the beginning of always.

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – TREES – DUSK]

(Nathan, sober, has lit a bonfire and stands over it.)

LUCAS: (v.o) A promise. Like a reward for persisting through life so long alone.

(Nathan throws the broken bits of the Wedding Wall into the fire. He throws the last piece in and pulls out the Polaroid’s of him and Haley.)

(The camera pans to the right.)

FADE TO:

[INT. JULES’ HOUSE – FRONT DOOR – DUSK]

(Keith opens the door to Jules’ house and rushes in.)

KEITH: Jules?! (He walks into the middle of the room and looks around.) Jules?!

(Jules’ wedding gown is lying there. Keith walks up to it and looks at it desolately.)

LUCAS: (v.o) The belief (Keith’s head drops.) in each other and the possibility of love.

FADE TO:

[INT. JULE’S CAR – DUSK]

(Jules sits in her car and cries.)

LUCAS: (v.o) A decision, to ignore or simply rise above the pain of the past.

(She is still wearing her engagement ring.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – FRONT SEATING – DUSK]

(The camera pans slowly around Karen who sits there, staring.)

LUCAS: (v.o) The covenant, which at once binds two souls and yet severs prior ties.

(Andy walks to her and sits in the seat behind her. He sighs.)

KAREN: What have we done?

ANDY: (Reaches out to touch her but stops short.) Karen-

KAREN: I’m sorry, (Pause) I need to see Keith.

(Andy doesn’t argue as she stands and walks out of the church. He feels bad about what he’s done. He shakes his head.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – SEATING AREA – EVENING]

(Close-up of a bottle of Champaign as it’s opened and poured into a glass.)

LUCAS: (v.o) The celebration, of the chance taken, and the challenge that lies ahead.

(Dan can be heard laughing as he walks towards the cake. He puts the bottle down but holds onto the Champaign glass. He takes a taste of the cake.)

DAN: Hmm…

(He walks around behind the two little Keith and Jules statues on top of the cake. Taking his finger out of his mouth, he knocks the Keith statue down.)

DAN: One down,…

(There’s a blurry sh*t from his point of view. The frame focuses and Deb comes into view. She stops and looks at Dan, taking keys out of her bag.)

DAN: …one to go.

(Drinks some more. He looks at his wife. She smiles, nods and leaves the room. The camera pans to the exit and the ice statue of the swans gets in the way of a proper view. Dan laughs evilly.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – FRONT WALK – EVENING]

(The camera pans down from Peyton’s house to show Peyton looking into her car.)

LUCAS: (v.o) For two will always be stronger than one.

JAKE: Hey, baby. (Gets out of the car with Jenny.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Like a team, braced against the tempest’s of the world.

JAKE: Can you say ‘dada’? Can you say dada?

PEYTON: (To Jenny) Hey, Jenny, who’s that? Who’s that?(!) (Points at Jake.)

JENNY: Mama. (Grins)

(Peyton looks forward, open-mouthed, to somebody standing just off her porch.)

PEYTON: (Panicked) Nikki(!)

(Jenny coos and Jake worries.)

(Nikki walks forward, a malicious look in her face – surprisingly without the eyeliner. She smirks much like Dan.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – TREES – EVENING]

(Nathan puts one Polaroid into the flames and looks at another one. The one Deb put in his and Haley’s wedding picture frame.)

LUCAS: (v.o) And love… will always be the guiding force in our lives.

(Nathan is close to dumping them in the fire when Deb walks up to him. She’s sad but smiling.)

NATHAN: (Seeing his mother.) (Sighs) What’re you doing here?

DEB: Making sure you find the kind of happiness… I can barely remember.

(Nathan looks at her, confused. She holds out money to him.)

DEB: Go get Haley. She’s your wife.

(Deb smiles encouragingly. Nathan looks about to cry. He ponders and then reaches for the money. He hesitates for a b*at before walking away. Deb stands near the bonfire and hugs herself.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – SEATING AREA – EVENING]

(Brooke is sitting at a table, having just got off the phone.)

LUCAS: (v.o) For tonight is mere formality… only an announcement to the world for feelings long held.

(Lucas walks up to Brooke as she looks at her phone.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Promises made long ago-

(Lucas sits down on a chair, next to her.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -in the sacred space of our hearts.

LUCAS: (Looking at Brooke’s face.) What, more bad news?

BROOKE: My dad got that job.

LUCAS: Brooke, that’s great(!)

BROOKE: It’s in California(!) (Pause) We’re moving next week.

(She doesn’t know what to say. Lucas rubs her back.)

BROOKE: (Close to tears.) I don’t wanna go.

(She starts to cry and Lucas holds her hand.

LUCAS: What’re we gonna do?

(Brooke looks away and cries. Lucas pulls her forward and she rests her head on his shoulder. She continues to cry as he holds her.)

END