02x19 - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

02x19 - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

Post by bunniefuu »

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton is lying on her bed, staring off into space, completely depressed.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Joseph Conrad once wrote: ‘Who knows what true happiness is,…

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – BROOKE’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(The camera pans up to Brooke who is lying on her side on her bed, also staring off into nothing.)

LUCAS: (v.o) not the conventional word,…

FADE TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – DAN AND DEB’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Deb is lying on her back, staring off into space.)

LUCAS: (v.o) (Camera zooms in on her.) but the naked terror.

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Dan is jogging around outside. He slows and looks at his watch before coming to a walking stop.)

LUCAS: (v.o) To the lonely themselves, that wears a mask,…

(Dan looks up and sighs.)

FADE TO:

[INT. WHITEY’S CAR – THE ROAD – DAY]

(Close-up of a black and white picture of Whitey and Camilla in a car. Cut to his face as he looks ahead, sadly.)

LUCAS: (v.o) the most miserable outcast,…

(Pan to show Jenny in the backseat, asleep and hugging her blanket.)

LUCAS: (v.o) hugs some memory,…

FADE TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAY]

(sh*t of Nathan and Haley sleeping on the bed.)

LUCAS: (v.o) or some illusion.

(Haley fades from the bed. Nathan reaches over to the pillow where the illusion of Haley just was. The space is empty. He opens his eyes and looks.)

(Fade to Nathan walking out of the bedroom and into the living room. He stops as he sees a guy standing there, drinking beer and looking at the pink wall with the clown picture. Nathan continues forward.)

COOPER: (Points at the wall.) How much for the wall?

(Nathan’s grinning.)

COOPER: Come on, man, I’m serious, I-I’ll take it. The whole thing; the… pink paint, the creepy clown.

(Nathan shakes his head.)

COOPER: (Pulls out some money from his back pocket.) Look, I’ll give you, uh, (Some money falls to the floor.) five-hundred and… (Looks up at him.) whatever fell on the floor.

NATHAN: (Smiling) How ya doing, Coop?

COOPER: Better than you, you little bitch(!)

(Nathan looks away and laughs.)

COOPER: Come here and give your uncle some love!

(Cooper pockets the money as Nathan walks over and hugs him.)

COOPER: Hey. It’s good to see you, kid.

NATHAN: Yeah.

(Cooper walks past him and into the kitchen. Nathan bends down and picks up the money.)

COOPER: So, your mom called me. And I gotta tell you, Nate, (Takes off his jacket as Nathan walks to the kitchen.) if my big sister is calling me, then the situation is pretty eff’d up, you know?

(Nathan holds out the money to him. Cooper looks at it but doesn’t take it.)

COOPER: Nah, keep it.

(Nathan drops his hand, conceding.)

COOPER: And by the way, (Points at him accusingly.) I could b*at your ass for looking like this, you handsome bastard(!) (Nathan smiles.) I mean, I’m starting to finally feel good about myself; I’m a race car driver, I’m making a few bucks and now I gotta compete with this?!

NATHAN: Dude, stop it.

COOPER: I’m serious, what’s wrong with her? What, d’ya marry a blind girl? Unless it- (Pause) Oh, man, it’s your gear, isn’t it? Huh? (Nathan shakes his head, calling for strength.) OK, drop your shorts, let’s have a look.

NATHAN: Cooper,-

COOPER: No, come on, let’s see it(!)

NATHAN: What’re you doing here, man?

COOPER: Perspective, nephew, (Picks up his beer bottle again.) I’m here to adjust yours. (Drinks from the bottle.)

(Nathan smiles as he watches his uncle.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF TEASER:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. ROE RESIDENCE (EST) – DAY]

(There’s a knock on the door off-screen.)

CUT TO:

(Brooke sits up; suddenly awake as she hears the knock.)

(The door opens and Lucas pokes his head around the corner.)

LUCAS: Hey Brooke, you decent?

BROOKE: (Slightly spacey.) Am I dressed? Yes. (Laughs)

(Lucas grins and enters the room.)

BROOKE: Am I decent? (Shakes her head as she pulls herself up.) Never have been.

(Lucas shuts the door.)

BROOKE: (Yawning) What time is it anyway?

LUCAS: Ah, it’s early. (Heads straight for his closet.) I’m sorry to wake you; I just gotta stash something in my closet. (Takes off his backpack.)

BROOKE: OK. (Stretches)

LUCAS: So, I went to see Jake. How’s Peyton doing, anyway?

BROOKE: (b*at) I’m worried about her. (Nods)

LUCAS: (Nods) Yeah, me too.

BROOKE: (Shakes her head.) It’s hard, isn’t it? (Looks at him.) Being apart from the person you care about.

LUCAS: (Broods) Yeah.

(He puts the bag of shredded paper on the top shelf of his closet.)

BROOKE: So, what’s in the bag, anyway?

LUCAS: I don’t know yet. Anyway, uh, apparently I’m… taking a road trip with Nathan and his uncle.

(Brooke laughs.)

LUCAS: So, just tell Peyton if… she needs anything, that-

BROOKE: (Nods and smiles.) Sure, I got her.

(Lucas nods and smiles, picking his bag up.)

LUCAS: Thanks.

(He heads for the door and Brooke watches him.)

BROOKE: See ya.

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL COLLEGE (EST) – FOUNTAIN – DAY]

ANDY: (v.o) On the first day of this class-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL COLLEGE – BUSINESS 101 – DAY]

(Andy is standing at the front of the class as the students listen to him.)

ANDY: -I presented you with a controversial notion; that ethics matter more than profits. Anyone buying that yet?

(The class laughs. Someone in the middle row raises their hand.)

ANDY: (Spotting the person.) Yes?

DAN: Yeah, I have a question.

(Karen recognises that voice and turns to see a grinning Dan.)

ANDY: (Restrained) May I ask what you’re doing in my classroom?

(The class looks at him. He looks back.)

DAN: …Auditing.

(Karen looks at Andy quickly.)

DAN: I was wondering, what would you say about a person… let’s call this person… (Thinks for a b*at.) Randy. Now Randy hires a private investigator to dig up dirt on a competitor.

ANDY: I’m afraid I’m gonna have to ask you to leave.

(Dan looks at Karen before holding his hands up.)

DAN: Of course.

(He stands up and walks around to the steps.)

DAN: Oh, one last question. Let’s say our guy, Randy, was teaching a class on ethics, and yet, (Walks around to the front of the class.) was sleeping (Approaches Karen, looking directly at her.) with one of his students… and let’s call her… Sharon.

(The class looks at Karen accusingly.)

DAN: (Turns to look at Andy.) Now, Sharon, (Turns Karen’s work so he can look at it.) is getting an ‘A’.

(Karen grabs her notepad and pulls it back.)

DAN: Now it seems to me that Randy is not only a hypocrite, but also a candidate for dismissal.

(Karen looks down and then up at Andy. Andy points to the exit. Dan nods and heads for it. Karen shakes her head.)

DAN: (Turning back.) Discuss(!)

(He exits the class slowly.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – RACING TRACK – DAY]

(sh*t of the building with Cooper’s name on it.)

LUCAS: (o.s) So Coop,-

(Cut to Lucas, Cooper and Nathan walking to the track.)

LUCAS: -how great is it that you… get to race cars for a living?

COOPER: Oh, you know; fame, money, (Looks back at Nathan.) extremely hot wives.

NATHAN: Ex-wives.

COOPER: (Scoffs) Look who’s talking. (Reaches the exit.) Check it out.

(Lucas looks at the view of the huge track in little-boy awe.)

COOPER: I’ll tell you what; there’s only one view better than this one. (Points at a car that’s racing by.) That one.

(It races fast around the track.)

CUT TO:

[INT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – CARS – DAY]

(Three of them walk into the places where the cars are kept. Lucas makes sounds of approval as he sees a car.)

LUCAS: This is Jeff Burton’s car.

COOPER: Yes it is.

(Lucas gasps.)

COOPER: Hey, you guys wanna meet him?

NATHAN: Yeah.

COOPER: Hey, Jeff(!)

(Jeff turns around at the sound of his voice.)

JEFF BURTON: (Nods) Hey, Coop.

COOPER: (Shakes his hand.) These two knuckleheads are fans of yours.

JEFF BURTON: Oh, is that right? How you guys doing? (Shakes Lucas’ hand.)

LUCAS: Good.

NATHAN: (Shakes his hand too.) Good.

JEFF BURTON: (To Cooper.) Hey, your car was really fast out there. Who’s driving it?

COOPER: That my crew chief, Ray Green.

JEFF BURTON: Oh, yeah, I know Ray, he’s a good man. It’s a shame what happened.

COOPER: (Inclining his head in agreement.) Yeah, it is.

JEFF BURTON: Look, (To Nathan and Lucas.) you guys stay out of trouble. (To Cooper.) I’ll see you in Darlington.

COOPER: You got it.

(Jeff Burton smiles and walks away. Cooper laughs as he walks to Lucas and Nathan again.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – RACE TRACK – DAY]

(The car pulls into stop, slowly.)

LUCAS: (v.o) So, Jeff Burton mentioned Ray Green. Isn’t he the guy that took a swing at his team owner?

COOPER: (v.o) Yeah, that team owner was my dad. He couldn’t get a sponsor to touch him after that. I found him about five years ago down in Florida. He was trying to drink all the scotch in South Beach(!) (Laughs)

(Nathan laughs.)

RAY GREEN: (Walking on-screen.) It was bourbon. It was bourbon. (Looks at the driver getting out of the car.) If I knew what a pain in the ass you were gonna be, I woulda finished the job.

COOPER: Ray, let me ask you a question; I mean, I’m not a real smart guy but if your not in my car and I’m not in my car, who is? (Looks at the driver dressed in red.)

RAY GREEN: (b*at) Hey, Tony?!

(The helmet is pulled off and long hair falls out of it. She sets the helmet on top of the car and turns around, smiling.)

NATHAN: No way(!)

(Cooper scoffs and turns his head, nodding. Daytona jumps the wall and walks to them.)

DAYTONA: It’s still not right, dad; tight in, loose off.

(Ray laughs. Lucas eyes him with a raised eyebrow.)

RAY GREEN: Nate, you remember my daughter, Daytona?

NATHAN: (For lack of a better conversation starter.) You got your braces off.

(Cooper looks down, smiling.)

DAYTONA: (Grinning) Yeah, (Nods) like four years ago.

(They laugh.)

DAYTONA: It’s so good to see you. (Hugs him happily.)

NATHAN: It’s good to see you, too.

FADE TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Deb opens the kitchen cupboard and takes out the pills. She looks around before opening the bottle and taking a couple out. She takes some water and pauses just before taking them, contemplating what she’s doing to herself.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – CAR ENCLOSURE – DAY]

(Lucas, Nathan and Daytona walk into the space with all the cars.)

LUCAS: So, Daytona, how long’s it been since you’ve seen Nate?

DAYTONA: Well, I think, last time I saw him, he was shorter than me.

NATHAN: (To Lucas.) By like half an inch.

(Lucas makes noises of shock.)

DAYTONA: Whatever, shorty.

RAY GREEN: Hey, hey, we don’t let visitors in here. (The boy next to him turns and smiles.) Uh-uh, this is all high tech, you know, complicated, secret stuff.

(Daytona smiles and walks in.)

DAYTONA: (To Nathan and Lucas.) Come on. (Walk forward and puts her hand on James Lafferty’s little brother’s shoulder.) So Lucas, this is my little brother; Garrett.

GARRETT: What’s up? (Nathan smiles at him.)

LUCAS: Hey, I’m Lucas; Nathan’s brother.

GARRETT: (Knock knuckles.) Hey. So, like, your mom’s Cooper’s sister?

LUCAS: Oh, my mom slept with Cooper’s sister’s husband. (Nathan laughs.)

GARRETT: (Shocked) OK. Whatever that means. Sounds messed up. (Takes a bite out of his sandwich and walks off.)

LUCAS: It is.

RAY GREEN: (Watches his son before turning back to them.) So, you wanna hop in a car?

LUCAS: Can I?

RAY GREEN: Yeah.

DAYTONA: Yeah, come on.

(Lucas leaves with them. Nathan walks to Garrett.)

NATHAN: Wow, man, I ain’t seen you in forever.

GARRETT: I know. How’s that, uh,… that marriage thing going?

NATHAN: (Looks ahead and shakes his head.) Not so good.

GARRETT: (b*at) Oh, man, that sucks(!)

NATHAN: Yeah. Yeah, tell me about it.

GARRETT: Oh, no, no, I mean,… you’re gonna be, like, divorced before… I even get a girl to date me.

(Nathan looks at him. Garrett shakes his head and grins as he looks down. Nathan doesn’t know how to answer that.)

(Cut to Lucas, sitting in Daytona’s red car. It has her name across the top.)

LUCAS: (Pleased) Oh, yeah(!)

COOPER: (Walks up, looking through some papers.) What d’ya think, Luke?

LUCAS: This is awesome(!)

COOPER: You guys wanna drive em?

(Lucas looks at him.)

NATHAN: (Approaching with a look of shock.) Are you serious?

COOPER: Yep. Take a crash course today. You learn about the cars, the track. Spend the night, you can race tomorrow. How about it?

(Daytona looks between the pair. Nathan’s face says yes.)

LUCAS: Dude, I am so there(!)

COOPER: Nathan?

NATHAN: Yeah. Hell, yeah(!)

GARRETT: Me, too?

(Ray looks at his son.)

COOPER: (Not even considering.) No.

(They all laugh.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TRIC – BAR – DAY]

(The camera pans from the sign to the bar.)

KAREN: (Behind the bar, on the phone to Andy.) Andy, the man has to be stopped(!) (Beats as she listens.) Th-the fact that he would waltz into your classroom and insinuate(!) (Pause) You know something? I’m not sure how I was gonna tell Deb about his little arrangement with Jules… Emily; whoever the hell she was (Brooke and Peyton enter the club. Brooke pushing Peyton along.) but, now, I hope Deb destroys him(!)

(Karen turns to see the girls.)

KAREN: (Quietly into the phone.) Oh, uh, Peyton’s here. (Pause) OK, bye. (She turns to them.) Hi, Peyton.

(Peyton sits on a stool and smiles at Karen.)

KAREN: How’s Jake?

PEYTON: Same. (Smiles before it falls.)

KAREN: Is there anything I can do for you?

PEYTON: Sure(!) You can tell Brooke (Faces her.) that I’m fine(!)

(Brooke sticks her tongue out at her.)

KAREN: Actually, I was a little worried about you, too. So we thought we’d all spend the day together.

PEYTON: OK, I love you both, for all the caring but kind of… creepy attention you’ve been giving me, but,… what’s wrong with wearing a little misery now and then? This while thing sucks for Jake, and,… why can’t I be bummed for a little bit, you know?

BROOKE: You can totally be bummed; you just have to do it with us and you have to do really fun stuff while you’re bumming(!)

(Peyton laughs and Karen smiles. There’s a noise as the door opens and Deb enters; sporting skimpy clothes and Peyton hair.)

KAREN: (To Deb) How you doing… boozy?

DEB: Great, actually. (Walks to them happily.) As a matter of fact, I’m turning over a new leaf. From now on, I’m looking on the bright side of things. (To Karen.) Staying positive.

KAREN: (Unhindered) Oh, Dan paid Jules to seduce Keith. (Looks down as she continues with her work.)

(Brooke and Peyton look from Karen to Deb, slowly.)

DEB: (b*at) Life sucks, I need a drink(!)

(Karen doesn’t say anything. Peyton and Brooke watch her pour a drink.)

CUT TO:

(A black race car zooms along the track, going very fast.)

CUT TO:

[INT. BLACK RACE CAR – DAY]

(Daytona is behind the wheel, Lucas is next to her and Nathan is in the back with Garrett.)

DAYTONA: OK, so, you wanna enter turn one, high. (Pause) And then… (Turns the wheel slightly) take this curve… (sh*t of the curved road ahead.)

GARRETT: So, uh, you got the new 50 Cent?

DAYTONA: Garrett, they need to pay attention.

NATHAN: Yeah, yeah, I got that. What’s up with Tony Yayo; is he like in jail or out of jail, or what? (He and Garrett laugh.)

DAYTONA: Oh, Nathan, it’s great that you wanna talk G-Unit hip-hop with my little brother, but,… if you make a mistake at 160 miles an hour, it’s gonna be a lot more than your heart that’s broken.

(Nathan looks away and Garrett smiles.)

NATHAN: Whatever(!) No girl’s gonna out-drive my, anyway.

DAYTONA: (Laughs) OK.

(She puts her foot down on the accelerator and the car zooms.)

HARD CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – BAR – DAY]

(Deb is slumped on the bar.)

DEB: (Messing with a cocktail stick and her drink. Sadly.) I miss Nathan.

KAREN: I miss Keith.

PEYTON: (Messing with something.) I miss Jake.

BROOKE: I don’t really miss Felix, at all. (Peyton looks at her.) Or my parents that much. (Sadly) But I miss my money.

(Peyton laughs silently and Karen smiles.)

DEB: You know what I always do when I need to feel better?

BROOKE: (Tactlessly) Drink?

(Karen and Peyton look at her with ‘what the’ expressions. Brooke shrugs.)

DEB: No. (Stands) Dance.

(She giggles and runs off to the player.)

BROOKE: (Gasps) What?(!)

(They watch her as the puts a CITIZEN COPE CD in and starts the music. They all laugh. Deb dances by herself before running to them.)

PEYTON: Uh-oh(!) (Deb grabs Peyton and pulls her off the stool.) Oh, Deb, no. I-

DEB: Shut up and dance!

PEYTON: OK!

BROOKE: Oh, I’m with her! (Gets off the stool.)

(Peyton, Deb and Brooke dance together. Karen stands behind the bar and watches them amusedly, she shakes her head.)

DEB: Come on, Karen. Dance to my divorce!

PEYTON: Come on! (Calls Karen over.)

DEB: Come on.

KAREN: (b*at) Oh, hell, I can dance to that.

PEYTON: Whoa!

(In slow motion, there are a series of fades as they dance to the music. They are all enjoying themselves for the first time in a while.)

FADE TO:

(Daytona continues to race. Cut to the speed counter as Daytona continues to go faster and faster.)

DAYTONA: (Constantly looking back.) So, the one thing that drives me crazy about home schooling (Lucas, Nathan and Garrett continue to slip lower in their seats, nervous.) is just, you know, getting behind on all the fashions… (Close up of Lucas’ nervous face.) and also, (Garrett is looking worried.) every now and then, I like to, you know, catch up on the gossip.

(Nathan takes a deep, uncertain, breath.)

DAYTONA: (Turning almost completely around.) I don’t know, is that wrong of me?

LUCAS: (Nervously) You might just… wanna… (Points) watch the track. (Nathan nods.)

NATHAN: Yeah, OK, Daytona, we get the point, alright? You don’t need to get all crazy.

DAYTONA: Oh, you think this is crazy? No(!) (Turns the wheel sharply.) This is crazy!

(They are all shoved sideways as the car spins off the track and onto the slip road. Daytona laughs. The camera goes into slow motion as it shows the dust coming up from the tyres.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TRIC – DANCE FLOOR – DAY}

(Karen, Deb, Brooke and Peyton continue to dance; the sh*t is still in slow motion.)

(There’s a translucent sh*t of the race track as the car spins and Daytona laughs.)

(The sh*t returns back to them dancing, on their own but together on the floor.)

(Half fade to the race track again as the camera is completely covered with white smoke.)

(The sh*t returns as Andy opens the door to TRIC. The rest continue dancing but Karen spots him and walks to him.)

ANDY: So, a student reported my relationship with you. (Karen’s sympathetic.) I have to see the Dean,… tonight.

(They look at each other, not knowing what to say.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – RACE TRACK – EVENING]

(It is completely dark. A tent has been set up on the dirt. Nathan and Lucas approach Daytona who is sitting next to the tent. playing her guitar. A bonfire burns near her.)

NATHAN: Tell me you don’t live in a tent all year round.

DAYTON: (Laughs) No, it’s just nice to get out under the stars sometimes. (Nathan and Lucas sit.) Plus, Garrett hates it, so, that’s a plus.

LUCAS: You gonna play something?

DAYTONA: What d’ya wanna hear? NWA? (Cut to Nathan’s uncomfortable face.) Maybe a little Tupac?

NATHAN: Surprise us. (Smiles)

DAYTONA: (Sighs) OK, um,… (Starts to play.)

DAYTONA: #Dancin’ where the stars go blue,

(Nathan looks at her, hurt. Lucas looks at Nathan, completely aware of what that song brings. Nathan looks at Lucas.)

DAYTONA: Dancin’ where the evening fell,

Dancin’ in your wooden shoes,

In a wedding gown.#

(Nathan can’t take it and stands up.)

DAYTONA: What(!) It’s Ryan Adams.

(He walks away without saying a word.)

DAYTONA: (To Lucas.) Did it suck that bad?

LUCAS: (Quickly) No, it’s… it’s not that. It’s… a Haley thing. (Laughs sadly and shakes his head.)

DAYTONA: (Shakes her head too.) I just… wish there was something I could do to help him.

LUCAS: What was he like when you were kids?

DAYTONA: (Looking down and smiling.) He was… kind. (Looks up and nods.) Just a really… sweet guy. (Nods) And a good friend… pre basketball.

LUCAS: Yeah. (Shakes his head.)

DAYTONA: By the way, your marshmallow’s on fire.

LUCAS: Oh(!) (Lifts the squewer with his burning marshmallow on the end and blows the flames out.)

(Daytona laughs.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DRIVE – EVENING]

(Brooke stops her ‘safe rides’ car outside of the house.)

BROOKE: You know, Mrs. Scott, you really had a lot to drink. Are you sure I can’t walk you to the door?

DEB: (Tipsy) Oh, no, I’m fine, thank you so much, Brooke. (Hugs her.)

(Brooke smiles uncomfortably.)

BROOKE: OK. (Deb lets go of her and groans.) Say hi to your big, expensive house for me.

(Deb thinks about it but isn’t pleased. She nods and opens the door, getting out slowly.)

BROOKE: (Unsure) Um, OK, nighty night(!)

(Deb closes the door but doesn’t say anything. She walks up to her house and just stands there, looking at it.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE STREETS – EVENING]

(Brooke pulls up next to Mouth who is lying across some surface. He opens the door.)

BROOKE: Mouth?! (Gapes)

MOUTH: (Drunk) I am so wasted(!)

BROOKE: Why, what happened?

MOUTH: (Laughs) You know, I’ve just been… partying all night and, like, drinking! (Covers his mouth and laughs.)

BROOKE: I can see that(!) Um,… (Turns to the front.) let’s get you home.

MOUTH: No. No. No, no, no. I mean, we should drive around for a while because, you know, my parents are awhooo. (Laughs some more.)

(Brooke is unsure of what to do with him.)

BROOKE: I totally get it, but I have to take you somewhere coz I can only do one ride at a time.

MOUTH: Are you sure, coz I am really messed up on the hooch, you know? (Laughs)

BROOKE: I’m sorry, Mouth, those are the rules.

MOUTH: (Suddenly sober.) OK, here’s the deal; I’m not drunk, (Brooke gapes.) I… just… I knew your shift was tonight and… I wanted to hang out.

(Brooke’s mouth couldn’t be any wider as she points accusingly at him.)

MOUTH: Sorry?

BROOKE: (Impressed) You are so lucky I am lonely tonight(!) (Mouth laughs.) Hop up front. (Shakes her head.)

MOUTH: Score(!)

BROOKE: I can’t believe you. Whoa!

MOUTH: (Struggles to get over the head rest.) I’m sorry.

(Brooke laughs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL COLLEGE – BUSINESS 101 – EVENING]

(Karen waits in the room for Andy. The door opens and he enters. She stands.)

KAREN: How’d it go? (He shuts the door.) What’d he say?

ANDY: (Walks in.) Well, (Sighs) the Dean presented me with two options; either I end the relationship or, uh,… I lose my job(!)

KAREN: (Sighs) Well, there’s gotta be some way-

ANDY: So I quit.

KAREN: Andy, you love teaching(!)

ANDY: Not as much as I love you. (Smiles)

KAREN: (Moves closer to him.) I’m so sorry.

ANDY: Yeah, it was a no-brainer, Karen. There’ll be other teaching positions. (Smiles) But I hope there’s never another woman in my life.

(Karen laughs and kisses him. They hug.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

(Brooke pulls to a stop somewhere else. Erica is waiting. She gets into the car and sits in the middle.)

BROOKE: (Curiously) Erica? (Looks at her.) What happened?

(Mouth watches.)

ERICA: Oh, (Smiles dismissively.) nothing, really. (Sniffs) I was hanging out with some of the guys from Felix’s party, and… it just kinda got out of hand.

BROOKE: (Looks at Mouth then back at Erica.) Out of hand how?

ERICA: Nothing major,… just grabby and… (Laughs at herself.) not what I expected.

BROOKE: Sure that’s all it was?

(Erica nods.)

MOUTH: (Kindly) I’m sorry those guys were like that. (Erica smiles sadly.) (Holds out a tissue to her.)

(Brooke smiles proudly at him.)

ERICA: (Accepting it.) Thanks. (Wipes her nose.) I feel stupid for even calling, it’s just… (Breathes deeply.) I got scared and… I don’t know, disappointed.

(Brooke nods.)

MOUTH: Well, I’m glad you called, because we were just about to get some food.

(Erica smiles.)

BROOKE: (Looking at Mouth.) Yeah! (To Erica.) What d’ya say, Marsh, you in?

ERICA: OK. (Pause) But, call me Erica.

(They all laugh quietly and Brooke nods, turning back to the wheel. Erica gives Mouth a discreet once over.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – REAC TRACK – EVENING]

(Nathan and Cooper are walking along outside, slowly.)

COOPER: You know, when my wife left, I was a mess.

NATHAN: You’re saying you’re not still a mess? (Cooper laughs.) I mean, you should have been; Kerry was… really hot.

COOPER: Yeah, well they usually are when they’re supermodels. (Nathan laughs.) And by the way, shut up(!) I had to let it all go, you know; the feeling that I wasn’t… good enough for Kerry… how much I resented the fact that she wanted things besides me. I mean, it wasn’t fair to her. Hell, I wasn’t going to give up racing for her.

NATHAN: I would have. (Cooper stares at him.) I mean given up basketball for Haley. (Sighs) Kind of did.

COOPER: …Well you think… maybe that’s the reason she left? (Pause) I mean, when you met her, would you have given it up then?

NATHAN: (Thinks before smiling and shaking his head.) No, probably not.

COOPER: Maybe your not the person she fell in love with anymore, man. Maybe she’s not the person you thought she was. (Nathan looks at him, hurt.) Look, I don’t say this… to hurt you, Nate, but… it’s just… (Shrugs) people change, you know?

NATHAN: So after she left you, I mean,… was there ever a day when it… felt better?

COOPER: (Nods) Sure,…followed by a day when it felt worse. I mean, that’s just the way it goes(!) But I gotta tell ya, you’d be amazed at how therapeutic (Pointing to the track.) two hundred miles an hour can be.

(They laugh.)

NATHAN: I’ll bet, man.

COOPER: (Stopping) Look, Nate,… (Nathan stops too.) love is a pretty great thing, man, (Pause) maybe it’s the greatest thing. But it’s gotta be true love… for the both of you.

NATHAN: (Shrugs) What if it was? What if it still is?

COOPER: Well, if it still is, man, you fight like hell for it.

(Nathan nods and sighs.)

COOPER: But the harder question is: (Pauses before shaking his head.) what if it wasn’t?

(Nathan doesn’t reply, he can’t.)

COOPER: Trust me,… that one’s a bitch.

(They stand there. Cooper looking at Nathan while Nathan looks down.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Andy is sitting in Dan’s chair, going through his notebook. Dan walks to his office but slows down as he sees who’s in his chair, getting to the doorway very slowly. Andy looks up at Dan as he walks into his office.)

DAN: I think you’re on the wrong side of the desk, little man.

ANDY: I think you’re on the wrong side of me. (Throws the book onto the desk.)

(Andy looks up at Dan.)

ANDY: I lost my teaching position tonight.

DAN: (Not shocked.) Really? That’s terrible, what happened?

ANDY: (Scoffs and shakes his head.) …Do you have any faith, Dan?

DAN: Faith?

ANDY: (Stops lounging.) You know,… do you believe in anything? God? Science? (Pause) Karma?

DAN: No. No, I don’t believe in karma. But I do believe I’ll give you a chance to remove yourself from my establishment… before I personally remove you.

(b*at before Andy stands from Dan’s chair and walks to the door.)

ANDY: You know, we’re very different, you and I.

(Dan turns to look at him.)

ANDY: See, I’m a big believer in karma. I think it’s amazing how… most of the time, tragedy befalls whoever deserves it.

DAN: (Pause) You know, if you’re gonna thr*aten me, kid,… at least do it like a man.

ANDY: Karma finds us all in time, Dan. But, you know, I find that sometimes it helps to just, you know, point it in the right direction.

(Andy smirks and walks away.)

DAN: Wait.

(Andy stops and looks at him. Dan picks up a sheet of paper from his desk.)

DAN: You should take a job application. (Holds out the paper and smiles.) I mean, now that you’re unemployed.

(Andy shakes his head and walks out. Dan crumples up the piece of paper.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton is sitting on her bed, going through her notebook/address-phonebook. She looks at the page with Anna’s address and phone number written, Peyton style. There’s a b*at before she rips it out viciously. She flips to another page, this one with Haley’s name, address and phone number on it, with a sketch of books above. She rips that one out too. She rips the one of Keith Scott’s name address and number out. That one has a sketch of a tow-truck underneath.)

(She flips a page and stops. It’s a page dedicated to Jake. There’s a sketch of a bouncing basketball under the address and phone number. She touches it and then looks up at her sketch of the traffic lights she did last season with the slogan ‘PEOPLE ALWAYS LEAVE’.)

(The camera closes in on it before fading back to Peyton.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

(Brooke, Erica and Mouth are walking down the pavement.)

ERICA: You know, an hour ago I wouldn’t have believe it but,… it’s turning out to be a pretty night.

(Brooke nods.)

ERICA: (Looking at Mouth.) Thank you. (Looks at Brooke.) For hanging out with me.

BROOKE: You’re welcome. We should get you home, though.

ERICA: Nah, I think I’ll walk.

MOUTH: Are you sure?

(Erica smiles and nods at him.)

BROOKE: OK, well call if you need anything.

ERICA: I will. See ya(!) (Walks away, swinging her bag.)

(She stops and turns.)

ERICA: Hey, you wanna walk with me?

BROOKE: (Regretfully) I’d love to but I have to finish my shift.

ERICA: I know. (Looks at Mouth.) I meant you.

(Brooke looks, wide-eyed. Mouth is shocked.)

MOUTH: OK(!) (Moves away from Brooke and to Erica.)

(He rushes back to Brooke.)

MOUTH: I’m sorry, Brooke. Did you want me to hang out with you for the rest of your shift?

BROOKE: No, it’s fine. You should go.

MOUTH: Are you sure?

BROOKE: Yeah(!) (Straighten his collar.) Go get her, Tiger.

(Mouth smiles and walks back to Erica. They walk away and Brooke smiles after them.)

(Brooke’s phone starts to ring and she answers it.)

BROOKE: Hello?

CUT TO:

(Peyton is on her bed, notebook/address-phonebook closed next to her.)

PEYTON: (Sighs) Hi. Is this the ‘safe rides’ programme?

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

BROOKE: (Nods once.) It sure is.

CUT TO:

PEYTON: Well, I was wondering if you could come pick me up. (Smiles)

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

BROOKE: Of course.

PEYTON: (Through the phone.) Good.

CUT TO:

PEYTON: I would love to feel safe for a night.

CUT TO:

[EXT. STREETS – EVENING]

(Brooke stands at the sidewalk and smiles.)

PEYTON: (Through the phone.) Thanks.

CUT TO:

(Peyton hangs up the phone and puts it on her bed.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. ROAD – EVENING]

(Brooke and Peyton are in the car. Neither of them looks very happy. Brooke looks at Peyton and smiles. Peyton rests her head on Brooke’s shoulder.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. ERICA’S HOUSE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Erica and Mouth walk up to Erica’s front door.)

ERICA: Thanks for walking me home, Mouth.

MOUTH: No problem. (Erica nods.) Thanks for inviting me.

(Erica grins but doesn’t know what to do next.)

MOUTH: Well, I-I guess I’ll see ya. (Begins to leave.)

ERICA: I loved what you said about Brooke during the campaign. (Smiles) Even though it’s pretty much the reason I lost.

MOUTH: I suppose there’s no reason to… ask you out, then? Like… on a date?

ERICA: I was kinda pretending this was a date.

MOUTH: Oh(!) (Grins) OK. Um… did we have fun?

ERICA: (Smiles widely and walks to him.) You tell me. (She kisses him.)

MOUTH: (Delighted) I think we had a blast(!)

(They laugh.)

ERICA: We did. (Pause) Goodnight.

(Mouth nods his head goodnight. Erica turns and enters her house.)

MOUTH: (Quietly but forcefully.) Yes(!)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Dan exits the house with a mug of tea, intent on getting the newspaper. He looks around and walks down the steps. He’s about to take a sip from the mug but pauses when he sees what is on his lawn.)

(Deb is lying amongst the flowers and bushes, obviously sleeping off the hangover. Dan walks up to her, slowly. He nudges her and she gets a face full of flowers which tickle her. She shifts slightly, scratching her nose, but doesn’t wake up.)

(Dan reaches over and picks up the newspaper. He frowns in her direction before turning and walking over to the sprinkler mains. He opens the door and switches on the sprinklers.)

(The spraying starts up; one just above her head, drenching her hair. Dan shuts the door and walks back into the house, without looking back once. Deb wakes up but can’t get up so she turns on her back and collapses again, arms splayed out.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. COOPER LEE ENTERPRISES, INC. – RACING TRACK – DAY]

(Everyone is kitted out in protective gear, except helmets which sit on top of the cars. They are standing near the cars as Ray issues the safety measures and what will happen.)

RAY GREEN: Alright, four cars, three laps. You can all talk in an open frequency in your helmets. Now if you get a little squirrelly out there, just take your foot off the gas-

(Cut to a driver taking his foot of the gas and shifting down a gear.)

RAY GREEN: -downshift, and you either come into the pits or pull the car in the inside apron. There’s a tack in your car; tells you the RPM-

(Cut to the tack in the driver’s car. It’s between 5 and 6.)

RAY GREEN: -when it hits 6, you’re up around 140 miles and hour. (Shakes his head.) Nobody goes to 7. (Pause) Got it?

(Nobody moves a muscle.)

RAY GREEN: Alright, Garrett will lead you out in the pace car. Garrett, don’t wreck the pace car.

(Garrett laughs silently and looks down, amused.)

RAY GREEN: OK, may the best man win.

COOPER: Well that should eliminate you three girls.

(Everyone puts their mic on and turns to their car. Lucas nudges Nathan.)

LUCAS: Good luck, Nate.

(Nathan nods at Lucas.)

(Nathan gets into an orange car with garish green headlights, Lucas gets into a black and white car with the number 27 on the side, Daytona gets into a red car with ‘Old Spice’ on the rear and Cooper gets into a black car with the number 71 on the side.)

(They put their helmets on, slide on their gloves, clip their seatbelts and check the gears and steering wheel.)

RAY GREEN: (Standing on a podium so he can see them as they race.) Gentlemen!

DAYTONA: (Waving out if the car.) Helloo(!)

RAY GRREN: And beautiful ladies.

(Cooper grins, Daytona smiles and Garrett smirks.)

RAY GREEN: START YOUR ENGINES!

(They all flick the switch to start their engines. Lucas listens to the sound and smiles genuinely.)

(Garrett flashes his lights and starts them off slowly, with his own car.)

LUCAS: This is stinking great!

(Nathan smiles his agreement.)

(They follow Garrett before he moves off to let them pass.)

COOPER: You sure you boys wanna be humiliated?

DAYTONA: Notice he didn’t say girl?

(Nathan shakes his head. Lucas smiles.)

(The race starts. Cooper and Daytona are in the lead, Lucas second and Nathan last.)

DAYTONA: Ready, guys?

LUCAS: Oh yeah(!)

DAYTONA: Nathan?

NATHAN: Let’s do this(!)

(They pass the green flag and are off. Daytona puts her foot down and moves the gear up a notch.)

(They race; Daytona level with Cooper and Nathan level with Lucas. Lucas and Nathan exchange a glance as Nathan passes him. Nathan shakes his head. Lucas puts his foot down and moves further forward but he’s still behind Nathan.)

(Birds-eye view as they zoom past.)

COOPER: So, I was thinking, maybe I should just drive in reverse for a while, you know, just to make it close.

(Daytona grins and shakes her head. Lucas smiles but Nathan doesn’t. He’s taking the race seriously. He moves left and right, trying to find a way through. Lucas looks at him.)

LUCAS: (Accelerates) Nate, coming up on your left!

(Nathan spares him a glance and Lucas overtakes for a while. Daytona looks in her rear-view mirror and sees him closing in. Nathan’s moving fast, even passing Daytona who just smiles.)

DAYTONA: So, what’s going on back here in the slow part of the world? (She laughs but Nathan doesn’t say anything.)

(Nathan accelerates, moves the gear shift and the tack jumps up. He passes Daytona and Lucas.)

COOPER: (Looking in the rear-view mirror.) Is that why Pokey left you?

(Wrong choice of words as Nathan glowers. Cooper shakes his head and lifts his foot, downshifting and slowing the car down. It prevents Nathan from being able to pass and going too fast.)

(Nathan moves left and so does Cooper.)

COOPER: Alright, last lap, Nate. You better bring it. (Nathan moves to overtake but can’t.) Ahhh, the low line is closed my friend. (Nathan moves right and is again blocked by Cooper.) And the high side.

(Lucas looks left, out of the car and at Nathan. Nathan zooms past.)

COOPER: Oh(!) Oh-ho(!) Well, well, that was almost impressive, even for a man like you.

(Lucas laughs openly. Nathan blinks repeatedly.)

(Garrett climbs onto the podium to stand next to his father. Ray shows him the stopwatch and they watch the cars go past.)

GARRETT: Looks like you got some competition out there, Cooper.

(Nathan has overtaken Cooper.)

DAYTONA: Lock and load, Nate, he’s yours.

(Cooper drives extremely close to Nathan’s car.

LUCAS: You’ve got him, Nate!

COOPER: Go chick time, nephew.

(Cooper continues to push and comes up extremely close to Nathan.)

COOPER: Nathan, I love you but I sure hope you bought a change of shorts. (Grins)

(Cooper presses down on the gas, shifts the gear up and moves forward fast, bumping Nathan’s car. Nathan swerves, loses his stride and falls back with a shake of his head.)

DAYTONA: Oh no, Cooper, you did not just bump him(!)

(Cooper laughs and waves goodbye to his nephew.)

DAYTONA: Rough as racing, Nathan!

(Nathan falls right back and Daytona laughs while whooping.)

COOPER: Looks like another chequered flag for me(!) Thank you very much.

(Cooper crosses the line first, followed by Daytona, than Lucas and last, Nathan.)

DAYTONA: Good try, Nate. Nice run, guys.

COOPER: Tony, were you in second place or third from last?

(Daytona smiles.)

RAY GREEN: OK, bring it into the pits.

(They all turn into the pit stop. Cooper, Daytona and Lucas slow down as they come to a stop. There’s a b*at while Nathan decides.)

(He presses on the gas; moves the shift up a gear and continues off while Ray holds up his hands in exasperation.)

RAY GREEN: Nathan, you not only missed your pit stall, you just broke a half a dozen pit road rules.

(Garrett looks up and watches the car zoom off, around the track again.)

COOPER: Nathan. That’s the first victory lap I’ve ever seen for last place; I like it.

(Nathan narrows his eyes and goes faster.)

COOPER: (Concerned) Hey, Nate, you alright?

(Nathan doesn’t answer, he just wants to forget.)

(Cooper runs to the podium and runs up the steps while Daytona and Lucas watch him with equal amounts of concern. Garrett hands him the headphones and mic. Cooper puts it on.)

COOPER: Nathan? You reduce your speed and you come in!

NATHAN: You know what I need, Coop? Some of that two hundred mile therapy we were talking about.

COOPER: (Restrained) Nathan…(!)

(Lucas looks at Daytona who looks back at him anxiously.)

NATHAN: Nobody goes past 7 on the tack, right?

(Cooper looks at the car, Ray and Garrett do too.)

NATHAN: Let’s see about 8.

(He moves up a gear again, past 7. The tack hits 8 and goes over.)

RAY GREEN: Oh god, too fast!

COOPER: NATHAN!?

NATHAN: You’re right, Coop, this feels pretty damn good.

(Cooper doesn’t know what to do. Daytona looks at Cooper, hoping he’ll do something. Lucas just stares.)

(The car continues on.)

FASHBACK TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – DAY]

(Nathan slips a wedding ring onto Haley’s finger as she smiles.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S CAR – RACE TRACK – DAY]

(Close-up of Nathan’s face.)

FLASHBACK SEQUENCE TO:

[EXT. JAMES RESIDENCE – FRONT LAWN – DAY]

(Haley kisses Nathan after he kisses her for the first time.)

CUT TO:

[INT. NATHAN’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAY]

(It’s pouring outside. Nathan and Haley are in the bedroom, soaked. Haley pulls off her top; leaving her in a satiny, silk top.)

END OF SEQUENCE:

CUT TO:

(Close-up of his anxious face.)

FLASHBACK TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO – RECORDING BOOTH – DAY]

(Nathan slams Chris up against the wall by the neck, holding one arm in place.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

(Nathan’s expressions changes as he remembers.)

FLASHBACK TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Haley’s crying as Nathan apologises to her for using her to get to Lucas.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

(Nathan drives faster.)

FLASHBACK SEQUENCE

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Nathan hugs Haley from behind as he insists that they will go to Georgia to see her parents.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan and Haley record a combined answer phone massage because they are a really cheesy couple.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. JAMES RESIDENCE – FRONT STOOP – DUSK]

(Nathan and Haley kiss in the rain.)

CUT TO:

[INT. JAMES SCOTT APARTMENT – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Haley and Nathan stand at the front door; he just having carried her through it after getting married. She gapes at the elaborate scene before her.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – STAGE – EVENING]

(Haley sits on the stage, at the keyboard, as she tries to summon the courage to sing in front of all the people.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – STAGE – EVENING]

(Chris sits on the stage, singing his song.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. NEW BRUNSWICK TRANSIT AUTHORITY – PARKING LOT – EVENING]

(Haley has her hands in her pockets as she boards the train that will take her away from her husband and marriage. Chris smirks behind her, getting his way once again as he stores her luggage away.)

END OF SEQUENCE:

FADE TO:

(Nathan thinks, not paying attention and scrapes against the wall. Orange sparks fly as the sh*t is seen in slow motion.)

(Nathan is shoved around as the car shakes. He moves away from the wall. The car hits again and Nathan jerks the steering wheel sharply to the right; to the wall.)

(The car turns, going backwards for yards, then sideways, before hitting the wall head on.)

(Cut to Lucas, slow-motion, screaming Nathan’s name.)

(Nathan’s car hits the wall from behind, too; hard. Lucas runs forward as does Daytona.)

(The car stops. Cooper and Ray take off the headphones and run to the now burning car; behind Lucas and Daytona.)

LUCAS: (Scared) NATHAN!

(Lucas runs towards the car, fast, but the flames hold him back a little.)

LUCAS: NATHAN!

(Lucas backs away from the flames then goes towards it, trying to get his brother out. Cooper runs up to him, shouting out for him to stay back.)

(Cooper advances, backing away as Lucas did but fighting the heat. He pulls the barrier down and sees Nathan there, slumped and unconscious. He reaches in.)

(Daytona holds Garrett back.)

(Cooper and Lucas pull Nathan out of the car, Lucas looking like he’s about to cry. They fall back as he comes out of the car.)

LUCAS: (Panicked) Nathan, NATHAN?!

(Nathan doesn’t move. He’s bleeding from his nose.)

LUCAS: Nathan! Nathan! Come on. Come on. Hold on. HOLD ON!

(Cooper looks at the burning car and then at his nephew. The camera zooms out slowly.)

LUCAS: Come one. Hold on, man. Hold on. Hold on, Nathan.

(Lucas is sitting on the floor; Nathan is unconscious and leaning on him. Cooper is looking around, distressed.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – A&E ENTRANCE – DAY]

(Nathan is on a gurney, being pulled along while hooked up to equipment. Medical personnel push it along. Lucas is at the front and Cooper is at the back. They all rush along.)

PERSONNEL: I’ve got severe respiratory distress; heart rate rapidly accelerating. Tachycardiac.

DOCTOR: You’ve been in an accident, son.

COOPER: You’re gonna be OK, Nate.

LUCAS: (Bending down.) Hey, we’re right here, buddy.

NATHAN: (Hoarsely) Promise me.

LUCAS: Anything.

DOCTOR: Six units of blood(!)

NATHAN: Don’t. Call. Haley.

(Nathan looks at his brother. Lucas just stares, torn. Haley’s his best and Nathan’s wife. There’s a conflict of interest.)

(Lucas sighs as Nathan’s taken away.)

(Cooper and Lucas stand together; watching him with deep worry etched into their faces.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE (EST) – DAY]

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – DAY]

(Deb is at the stove, boiling water. Dan approaches her slowly.)

DAN: Well, well. It’s my wife; the lawn gnome.

(Deb looks at him, glaring, but doesn’t speak.)

DAN: You gonna tell me where you were all night, Anna Nicole?

(Deb glares some more before walking to the cupboard and opening it. She pulls out some syrup. Dan looks at her packed bag.)

DAN: (Mumbles curiously.) We’re leaving again, are we?

DAB: I know about what you did to Keith.

DAN: (Cockily) I see. (About the boiling water.) What’s all this?

DEB: (Direct) I’m boiling water to throw on you. (Pours the syrup in.)

DAN: (Hard edge in his voice.) …And what’s the syrup for?

DEB: Oh, that’s so it sticks to you.

(They stare each other down. She turns to him and crosses her arms.)

DEB: I wish you would have d*ed on that floor in the beach house. I went to the chapel and I prayed for you to die. (Pause) That’s the kind of horrible, pathetic, shell of a person I’ve become. (Pause) But no more(!) I’m walking out that door, Dan, because if I don’t,… one of us is going to die soon.

(She stares at him and the phone rings. They ignore it for a few moments as Dan contemplates what Deb has just said.)

She sighs and turns, picking the phone off the counter and answering it.)

DEB: (Rudely) What?

(She looks up slowly, pain in her eyes.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSTIPAL – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(Deb and Dan rush down the corridor.)

DAN: Lucas!

(Cooper and Lucas are standing there, talking to the doctor. They turn to look at Dan as he approaches.)

DEB: Where’s Nathan? How is he?

COOPER: (Apologetic) Deb, I’m so sorry.

DOCTOR: (Turning to her.) Mrs. Scott?

DEB: Yes.

DOCTOR: Your son has had severe blunt trauma to his chest and it was caused by a high speed collision.

(Cooper looks away, blaming himself.)

DOCTOR: His right lung has collapsed and he’s losing a great deal of blood.

DAN: Is he in surgery?

DOCTOR: Well, we’re prepping him but the antigen in his blood,… it’s rare.

DEB: I’m the same, I’ll donate.

DOCTOR: (Nods) Good.

(Deb leaves with the doctor.)

DAN: (Glaring at his brother-in-law.) You better pray he’s OK.

(Cooper doesn’t say anything and neither does Lucas. Dan follows Deb and the doctor.)

(Cooper looks back at Lucas for a b*at.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton is on her bed, going through her records. She picks one up and looks at it.)

(Whitey appears in the doorway and stops, unwilling to inv*de her privacy unless invited. Peyton hasn’t noticed him.)

WHITEY: You oughta lock (Peyton’s head raises in shock.) your front door, you know? Some old crazy guy might come in here and get you.

(She laughs sadly.)

PEYTON: Old crazy guys don’t scare me.

(Whitey laughs and enters the room.)

WHITEY: (Sighs) I know this is not really appropriate; but Jake said (Peyton stands.) that you wouldn’t answer the door if I knocked so… I should just walk in.

PEYTON: You’ve been to see him?

WHITEY: I have.

(Peyton looks at him sadly and then turns away nodding, tears in her eyes.)

WHITEY: Do you mind if we… (Looks around.) sit down?

PEYTON: Yeah,… (Looks around.) um,… The bed?

WHITEY: (Laughs as he lowers himself onto it.) The PTA’d have a field day with this(!)

(Peyton laughs.)

WHITEY: (Sighs) Have you… ever been to Florida, Peyton?

PEYTON: (Nods) Once, with my dad.

WHITEY: (Nods) There’s a little town… just off the Gulf of Mexico. Weather’s perfect year round; kinda like today.

(Peyton nods.)

WHITEY: …It’s almost a paradise. (Looks at her and smiles.) It’s a great place to raise a child. (Looks straight again.) Or, if you’re family, to protect one till their daddy can arrive.

(Peyton looks down tearfully.)

WHITEY: Jenny’s fine, Peyton.

(Peyton is struggling with the emotions, on the verge of crying.)

WHITEY: Jake wanted you to know that.

(She nods.)

PEYTON: (Sniffs) I went by to see him this morning… (Voice breaking.) and he told me he didn’t want me to visit anymore. He said it was too hard.

(Whitey lays a comforting hand on Peyton’s clasped hands.)

WHITEY: I can understand that. (Looks at her.) I know you miss your mom, honey.

(Peyton looks at him pleadingly.)

WHITEY: Just like I miss my wife. (Pause) But… think about Jake; (They look at each other.) he misses both women that he loves.

(Peyton smiles through her pain.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – WAITING ROOM – DAY]

(Deb is sitting in a chair and Dan is standing behind her. The doctor approaches them.)

DOCTOR: Mr. and Mrs. Scott?

(Dan moves forward and Deb stands.)

DEB: Yes(!)

DOCTOR: Nathan is in surgery. We were able to locate an additional supply of his blood type.

DEB: (Dumbfounded) He needed more than what I gave?

DOCTOR: (Looks between Dan and Deb.) Mrs. Scott, how long have you been abusing prescription dr*gs?

(Deb stares fixedly as Dan turns to look at her slowly.)

DOCTOR: I’m sorry, your blood was unusable. (Looks at Dan for a b*at.) Excuse me.

(He walks away as Dan glowers at Deb. They do not speak.)

(Lucas is leaning against the railings, sitting in a chair, as he stares unseeingly at some spot. The elevator pings and Brooke rushes out.)

BROOKE: Lucas(!)

(Lucas turns to her. She stops next to him and get stands up. She hugs him.)

BROOKE: It’s OK. (Rubs his back.) I’m here for you.

(Cut to Lucas face as he hugs her. His eyes are red and he looks like he’s about to cry.)

CUT TO:

(Deb is sitting in the waiting room on her own. Dan comes up behind her.)

DAN: How long with the pills?

DEB: (Hoarsely) Since I quit my job.

DAN: Why?

DEB: …Because I’m married to you(!)

(Dan glowers at her some more. She turns her head slightly to look at him from the corner of her eye.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – OPERATING THEATRE – DAY]

(Nathan is prepped and ready for surgery. The nurses look at him and one adjusts his coverings while the rest of them move around, getting things ready.)

(Camera zooms in on Nathan’s face.)

FADE TO:

(Cooper is sitting there with his head down, waiting for word on his nephew.)

(Dan appears, walking with a purpose and obviously looking for Cooper. Cooper looks up and stands as Dan advances on him.)

COOPER: (Arms out.) Look, man, I was just trying to help, alright?

(Dan pushes him, acting very adult. Cooper looks away in exasperation. Dan advances some more and pushes him again.)

COOPER: Hey(!)

ANDY: (Suddenly appearing and trying to grab Dan from behind.) Dan! (Dan turns to him.) Calm down.

(Cooper turns away, hands slightly up. He doesn’t want to fight. He’s worrying enough as it is.)

(Karen stands back, slightly blurry.)

ANDY: There’s your karma, Dan.

(Dan glares at him - breathing heavily for some reason - and then up at Karen who breaks eye contact. Cooper paces.)

FADE TO:

(Daytona and Lucas are on the track. Daytona stands and Lucas sits on it.)

DAYTONA: He would have turned left. Nathan’s an athlete; his reflexes would have been… (Gestures left.) to turn left.

(They are in their normal clothes.)

FLASH TO:

(Bright sh*t of Nathan racing down the track.)

FLASH TO:

DAYTONA: (Realising) But he didn’t. (Shakes her head.)

(Lucas nods and looks at the huge black marks the car caused as it scraped along the wall.)

DAYTONA: It’s almost like-

FLASH TO:

(Nathan’s car skids and hits the wall twice, once on the front and again on the back.)

FLASH TO:

DAYTONA: -like he aimed for the wall.

(Lucas stands.)

DAYTONA: You know? Like… (Shakes her head as Lucas stands and looks out.) like he tried to crash.

(She looks up at him. Lucas looks back at her; not wanting to believe that his brother would want to k*ll himself.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Stephen King once wrote: ‘Time takes it all,…

FADE TO:

(Brooke dumps the bag of shredded paper onto the bed and empties it.)

LUCAS: (v.o) whether you want it to or not.

(She concentrates as she pulls strips out of the bundle, attempting to master the mind boggling puzzle.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Time takes it all, (Brooke squints at the strips.) time bears it away,… and in the end… there is only darkness.

(Brooke pulls strips apart and puts them aside, on the bed.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. NEW BRUNSWICK COUNTY JAIL – ENTRANCE – DAY]

(Peyton is sitting outside of the jail, in her car, looking at the entrance.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Sometimes we find others in that darkness,…

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HOSPITAL – OPERATING THEATRE – DAY]

(Nathan is unconscious as the surgery is about to begin. A nurse uses a sponge to rub an orange die on his chest.)

LUCAS: (v.o) and sometime we lose them there again.

(The camera zooms out slowly and the doctor takes a scalpel in his hand.)

END