03x02 - From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x02 - From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Peyton opens the door to Ellie.)

ELLIE: My name is Elizabeth. I’m your mother.

(Peyton gapes.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE DOCK – DAY]

(Peyton stands in front of her father.)

PEYTON: Is this woman my mother?

LARRY: Your mom is gone, Peyton… but… your biological mother is alive.

(Peyton looks up in surprise.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

BROOKE: You and Haley fighting?

PEYTON: My problem is with anybody who just vanishes and then waltzes back in and expects to be instantly forgiven(!)

(Brooke looks back in slight surprise.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke takes her things out of the closet.)

BROOKE: You know, we could totally have a summer-like fling, just… in the fall.

(Lucas is kneeling by the bed.)

BROOKE: And… non-exclusive.

(Lucas inclines his head.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – NATHAN’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Haley is speaking to Nathan in his bedroom.)

HALEY: There wasn’t a moment when I was away… that my heart wasn’t with you in Tree Hill.

NATHAN: I’m going to High Flyers, and unlike you, I’m taking my heart with me.

(Haley blinks.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Nathan confronts Lucas.)

NATHAN: We’re not brothers. We’re not even friends.

(Lucas squints.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – CONFESSIONAL – EVENING]

(Dan sits in the confessional, confessing to sins he intends to commit.)

DAN: Three months ago, someone tried to k*ll me.

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(sh*t of someone flicking a lighter on and throwing it onto the alcohol. The flames race along.)

DAN: (v.o) And when I find out who did this to me-

(Dan falls out of the chair, suddenly conscious.)

DAN: (v.o) -and I will find out soon…

CUT TO:

[INT. THE CHURCH – CONFESSIONAL – EVENING]

DAN: (Glaring angrily.) -the sins I commit then could turn this place to rubble(!)

FADE TO:

(Dan is lying on the floor as the fire burns. The camera pans down to his hand, holding the b*rned note. Close-up of the words: ‘For everything you’ve done’.)

FADE TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas holds the same note and looks at it.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

FADE IN:

[EXT. THE BEACH – DAY]

(The camera moves along the beach.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Henry David Thoreau once wrote: ‘Live each season as it passes;-

(Lucas is standing on the beach, alone. He is building a large circle out of big rocks.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit-

(He drops the rock into place.)

LUCAS: (v.o) -and resign yourself to the influences of each.’

(He claps the sand off his hands.)

DAN: (o.s) Well, well-

(Lucas looks up with a frown.)

DAN: (o.s) -look who’s starting a fire.

(Dan moves into the sh*t. Lucas doesn’t speak. Dan smirks and continues jogging. Lucas picks up another rock and drops it – finishing the circle.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton is splayed across her bed, sleeping with her mouth half open. She wakes up to sounds in her room. She sits up in bed and looks to her closet. Brooke is standing there with a grin on her face.)

BROOKE: Rise and shine.

(Brooke writes something on the door.)

PEYTON: Nice of you to knock.

BROOKE: I didn’t wanna wake you, Sleeping Bitchy(!) Besides, I had to get the list ready.

PEYTON: What list?

(Brooke opens both of the closet doors wide.)

BROOKE: (Grinning) This list.

(One door has Brooke’s name on it and the other has Peyton’s. Under their names is a list of boy’s and men’s names. Brooke is very pleased with herself.)

PEYTON: (Apprehensive) What is that exactly?

BROOKE: Since you and I are both officially available again and tonight is the end-of-summer beach party, which means partial of not total naked nudity, (Grabs Peyton’s toothbrush from her bathroom.) I have made a list of all the available guys so that we can avoid the pain and hardship of another ‘Lucas love triangle’.

(Brooke gives Peyton the toothbrush and Peyton puts it into her mouth before getting off the bed and trying to talk coherently.)

PEYTON: (Mumbles unintelligible words while walking into the bathroom.)

BROOKE: (Confused) Ok, I’m sorry, I didn’t get any of that. Did you just say something about me puking in a rave?

(Peyton washes her mouth out and pauses.)

PEYTON: (Sticking her head out.) I said ‘the Lucas you’re supposedly dating’.

BROOKE: (Shrugs while smirking.) Non-exclusively.

PEYTON: (Rolls her eyes.) Huh.

BROOKE: What ‘huh’? I have dated multiple guys before(!)

PEYTON: Yeah, I know. In fact, you are queen of the multiple-boy dating scenario, I’m just surprised you’re doing it with Lucas.

(Brooke shrugs again.)

BROOKE: Well, you know what they say; when it comes to boys, I’m full of surprises.

(Peyton walks out of her bathroom.)

PEYTON: But I thought you were the new, responsible, (She slaps her on the arse.) Brooke(!)

BROOKE: Eurgh, so last season – responsible Brooke is good but party Brooke is gooder. (Walks back to the door.) Check it out; I get Lucas, Mouth, half the guys on the team – I put my first choices her but we can totally mix and match, any and all lifeguards, Nathan’s uncle Cooper’s so hot, Larry-

PEYTON: (Interrupts) Whoa(!) Larry, like… my dad Larry?

BROOKE: (Unabashed) Of course, he’s my hot dad fantasy(!)

(Peyton groans and lies back down on her bed.)

BROOKE: Peyton, he is a total dilf(!) And besides (Points to a name on Peyton’s list.) I gave you Dan.

(Peyton makes a face at her.)

BROOKE: And I get Dave Grohl from the ‘Foo Fighters’.

(Peyton flops back onto the bed.)

BROOKE: You get; (Points them out.) Jake – as promised, Nathan – but he comes with an asterisk because nobody knows what the hell is going on with him and Haley in ‘high school married’ limbo, the other half of the guys on the team, Anna – because… well… you never know, and she was totally into you, and all the Rivercourt boys – Skills, Fergie and Garbage.

(She looks at Peyton proudly. Peyton looks at her exasperatedly.)

PEYTON: Junk.

BROOKE: (Abashed) …Right(!) And finally, the rest of the Foo Fighters.

PEYTON: (Whining) Why do you get Dave Grohl, I want Dave Grohl(!)

BROOKE: No way!

PEYTON: So I get a fugitive and a married guy(!)

BROOKE: (Considering before rolling her eyes and sighing.) Fine. You take Dave Grohl, I’m taking Anna.

PEYTON: Deal.

BROOKE: Deal. (Starts to walk out.) OK. Nighty-night, thanks, bye(!)

(She rushes out of Peyton’s room.)

(Peyton gapes at her before collapsing back onto her bed.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Birds-eye sh*t of the basketball hoop. A basketball goes through it before Nathan appears under the camera. He grabs the ball and puts it through again. Lucas walks onto the court.)

LUCAS: You’re back.

NATHAN: (Turns to look at him.) Maybe. (Pause) Maybe you’re just high and seeing things.

LUCAS: (Rolls his eyes.) So I guess you’re still pissed at me. Which, personally, I think is crap. But you tell me… are we friends?

NATHAN: Tell you what; I’ll play you for it. Game to eleven. (Throws the ball at Lucas.) Make or take it. For our friendship.

(Lucas frowns before sighing and walking properly onto the court. They pause as they get ready. Lucas waits before jumping and trying to sh**t the ball. Nathan jumps and grabs it from him before it leaves his hand.)

(Nathan sh**t and scores. Lucas throws the ball back at him and tries to stop him but it doesn’t work. Nathan feints and gets another basket. Lucas takes the ball again and gives it back to Nathan. Nathan shows off for a few moments – dribbling the ball between his legs – before sh**ting and scoring again. Lucas gives the ball back and Nathan gets another basket.)

(There is a succession of sh*ts as Nathan keeps scoring whilst Lucas gets nothing. Nathan gets the last basket and wins.)

NATHAN: (Turns back.) Game.

(Lucas is too tired to respond. Nathan leaves the ball and walks away.)

LUCAS: We’re you going?!

NATHAN: You lost. Guess that means we’re still not friends.

(Lucas lets Nathan leave. He breathes harshly and looks at the basketball hoop. The camera zooms out.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF TEASER:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – BROOKE AND HALEY’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(The room is purple and red, looking a lot like the inside of a genie’s lamp. Haley is sitting in a far corner on a small bed with her head in her hands.)

BROOKE: (o.s) Hiya, new roommate(!)

(Brooke walks in holding two cups of coffee.)

BROOKE: Getting all moved in?

HALEY: Uh,… with the six feet that you gave me, yeah, sure.

BROOKE: Good. (Hands a cup of coffee over.)

HALEY: Thank you.

BROOKE: (Looks at Haley’s hand.) Hey, great idea(!) (Walks to a couch and sits down.)

HALEY: (Confused) What?

BROOKE: Wearing your wedding ring. It’s like a total aphrodisiac for some guys(!)

HALEY: I just needed to be an aphrodisiac for one guy.

BROOKE: Why, do you have a new guy?!

HALEY: (Pause) For Nathan, Brooke.

(Brooke takes a moment to digest this.)

BROOKE: I see, about him, I notice you haven’t unpacked. Little naive, don’t you think?

HALEY: No, (Shakes her head.) no. I’m just… stalling. I mean, it’s like, if I unpack, my split with Nathan will be… more real.

BROOKE: I hate to say it but it’s real enough already.

HALEY: Yeah. (Sighs and pauses before beginning to groan in sadness.)

BROOKE: OK, no, no, none of that(!) (Stands and walks to Haley’s bed.) Come here, I have a surprise for you.

(Haley moans and Brooke grabs her hand, pulling her off the bed.)

BROOKE: Come on, come on, this’ll be fun(!)

(She pulls Haley out of the room.)

BROOKE: This is totally gonna cheer you up(!)

(She drags Haley into the living room which is now purple and decorated into more of the genie’s lamp style.)

HALEY: (Looks around, shocked.) Whoa! Wh-ah! This is amazing! When did you do this?!

BROOKE: Last night while you were sleeping. You totally sleep like a dead person(!)

HALEY: (Slaps her on the arm.) Shut up. (Brooke laughs.) This looks awesome.

BROOKE: Thanks. By the way, I’m kinda gonna need to ask for… next months rent now coz I sorta spent this months rent on the couch and the rugs and things. (Looks at Haley apprehensively.)

HALEY: (Grinning) OK. Although, you really shouldn’t have to pay for this stuff yourself. I mean, we’re roommates now, I’ll go half.

BROOKE: (Pleased) Really?

HALEY: (Nods) Yeah.

BROOKE: Oh, I was hoping you’d say that coz I kind of ate half your rainbow sherbet last night while I was hanging the wall mural.

HALEY: (Smiles) Where’d you get it, anyway?

BROOKE: (Looking at her as though she’s thick.) The freezer.

HALEY: The wall mural.

BROOKE: (Getting it.) Oh, Peyton made it for me. It’s the French Riviera. (Smiles)

HALEY: Gosh, I haven’t talked to Peyton in like… forever. (Brooke’s smile falls.) Lucas filled me in on her mom situation. What the heck?

BROOKE: (Uneasily) Yeah, the mom situation’s on high-alert right now coz Ellie-mom’s back in town.

HALEY: How’s Peyton taking it?

BROOKE: (Unsure of what to say.) Well…-

(There’s a beep on the laptop.)

BROOKE: There she is now. She’s sending me a last minute flyer for the party tonight(!) (Rushes to the laptop excitedly.) Speaking of which – you are not allowed to sulk tonight.

HALEY: (Offended) I don’t sulk!

BROOKE: You sulk! You’re a sulker. But tonight, you’re gonna have fun. After all, it’s a party. It’s supposed to be (Looks at the picture and her eyes widen.) dark and depressing!

(The picture says ‘End of summer beach party: 9pm’ on it but the pictures are of demons dancing around a bonfire.)

BROOKE: Well, you asked how she’s talking it. There you go.

GRAPHIC MATCH TO:

[EXT. CAFÉ – DAY]

(Peyton is sitting in front of her laptop. It has the same picture on it that Brooke’s does. She looks at it. A waitress shows Ellie to one of the seats behind Peyton. Peyton looks back and spots her. She shuts the laptop and walks to Ellie.)

(Ellie smiles as Peyton sits.)

ELLIE: Hi, Peyton.

(Peyton doesn’t offer a smile. She just glares at her.)

ELLIE: Last time I saw you, you were slamming a door in my face.

PEYTON: So, let’s have it.

ELLIE: What’s that?

PEYTON: The heart wrenching yet inspirational tale of a young girl’s complex decision to part with the daughter she desperately loves.

ELLIE: Actually, it’s not that complex. At the time I got pregnant, I liked dr*gs more than I liked you. That’s it.

(Peyton looks at Ellie, realising how close she was to becoming that very person.)

ELLIE: (Leans forward.) I’m a different person now, Peyton. (Pause) But those decisions are still mine. I can’t change that.

PETON: And what, so you… you just come to make peace with yourself? (Nods) That is so screwed up(!) You can’t just… crawl outta your hole after seventeen years and cause a plague like some kinda locust(!)

ELLIE: For what it’s worth, I crawled outta my hole a long time ago. (Pause) Your father wouldn’t let me see you.

PEYTON: I don’t believe you.

(Ellie smiles and looks off into the distance.)

ELLIE: You used to sit under a bridge by the river.

(Peyton looks away, shocked.)

ELLIE: You and a brunette girl who wore… a little too much eye make-up for a ten year old.

(Ellie nods and Peyton can’t respond.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – BACK YARD – DAY]

(Peyton pushes the back door open and st*lks out to her father.)

PEYTON: She tried to see me! (Stops in front of him as he fixes the lawnmower.) Like seven years ago, but you sent her away!

LARRY: (Sets the wrench down.) That’s right.

PEYTON: How could you do that?!

LARRY; Because I’m your dad and it was my call.

PEYTON: Unbelievable(!)

(She walks away.)

LARRY: Peyton-

PEYTON: FORGET IT!

LARRY: PEYTON!

(Peyton runs back into the house and slams the door behind her. Larry angrily drops his tools and turns to the house.)

CUT TO:

(Larry walks into Peyton’s room. She’s in her closet.)

LARRY: Hey! I understand you’re upset but don’t be slamming doors and stomping your little chicken ass around this house while I am talking with you. I am still you father.

PEYTON: (Turns around.) But you’re not my father, are you?!

(He pauses and Peyton walks to her records.)

LARRY: When Ellie gave you up, she agreed not to see you. Had your mother lived, we would have told you. It would have been up to you.

(Peyton grabs a record.)

LARRY: But when she d*ed, I decided it would be too hard, too confusing for you. Maybe that was a mistake.

PEYTON: (Almost crying as she nods.) Maybe it was a mistake. (Pause) You know what, dad (Pulls out the Dashboard Confessional record.) this, this is you, OK?

(She smashes the record against the doorframes and it breaks into a lot of pieces.)

PEYTON: Kinda of a broken record lately, don’t you think?!

(She drops the record and replaces the now empty record cover.)

(Larry walks closer to her.)

LARRY: You know, Peyton, one of these days you’re gonna grow up… and you won’t have all the answers.

(Peyton sighs and turns away.)

LARRY: You weren’t even ten years old when Ellie showed up. She had a drug habit, she moved around a lot it wasn’t even a year after your mother had d*ed and you were in a pretty rough place – emotionally. (Pause) And if you ask me, you still are.

(Peyton turns to argue but he cuts across her.)

LARRY: And guess what, so am I. I could not… risk exposing you to her. No way. Not then.

(He turns and walks away.)

PEYTON: Fine(!) Fine, not then, OK. But what about some time in – oh, I don’t know – the last eight years?! (Pause) What about then?! (Pause) Or like… what about now?

LARRY: (Looks at her.) I suppose now is up to you.

(They look at each other before he walks out and shuts the door behind him. Peyton holds back from crying.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Lucas enters the apartment and looks slightly confused.)

LUCAS: (Looking down.) Hey, you.

BROOKE: (Grins) Hey back atcha!

LUCAS: 1972’s outside and it wants its furniture back.

BROOKE: (Stands from her chair.) You mock but you don’t know. (Drags him like she did Haley.) Try out the couch.

(He sits and pats it.)

LUCAS: Nice.

(Brooke smiles.)

BROOKE: No. (She straddles his lap.) I said… try out the couch.

(They kiss.)

LUCAS: (Pause) I like this couch.

BROOKE: (Nods) I thought you would.

(She kisses him again. Haley enters the room.)

HALEY: Oh, waaay too early in the day for me to see this.

BROOKE: (Laughs) Well what hour would you prefer to watch us?

HALEY: (Laughs) How about never o’clock? Or maybe, ah, I don’t know, quarter after s*ab-out-my-eyes. Either one’s really good for me. (Shuts the refrigerator.)

(Brooke laughs.)

HALEY: By the way, that couch has not been stain guarded yet. You may wanna get a room instead. (She takes a glass out of the cupboard.)

BROOKE: Well, of we get a room, then you’re gonna be stuck on this stainy couch.

HALEY: (Walks to the counter.) That’s a good point.

(Brooke turns back to Lucas.)

BROOKE: Give me a minute. We’ll go to the beach.

(Brooke gets off the couch and leaves them too it.)

(Lucas sits there uncomfortably.)

LUCAS: Brooke asked me to help her out.

HALEY: And by Brooke you mean… your part-time girlfriend, Brooke?

(He shuts the front door.)

LUCAS: We’re gonna set up for the end-of-summer thing.

HALEY: (Nods) Hmm, what’s up with that anyway?

LUCAS: (Frowns) Well, you see, there’s a season called summer, Haley, and when that ends, another season called fall starts right up.

(Haley mock glares at him and he smiles.)

HALEY: Oh, OK, rephrasing – what’s up with the part-time girlfriend stuff?

LUCAS: (Pause) I don’t know yet. Right now, we’re on Brooke’s terms.

HALEY: Hmm.

LUCAS: But I’ll keep you posted.

HALEY: (Sarcastically) Oh, gee, thanks.

LUCAS: I also came to check on you. You know, I was worried about you. Nathan was in a pretty bad mood this morning – at the Rivercourt.

(Haley stops and lowers the glass.)

LUCAS: I thought that might have something to do with you.

HALEY: (Pause) Nathan’s home?

LUCAS: (Pause) You… didn’t know he was back?

(Haley waits for a second before setting the glass down, clearly hurt.)

HALEY: No. No I didn’t.

LUCAS: I’m sorry, Haley.

(Haley turns around and opens the closet door.)

LUCAS: I thought you knew.

(She slings her bag over her shoulder.)

HALEY: Can you just, um,… tell Brooke that I’ll… see her tonight?

(She smiles tightly and walks past him. Lucas watches her before turning back to look at Nathan’s ‘pain stain’.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Haley rings the doorbell and waits. Dan opens the door and acquires his patented expression.)

DAN: Well, well, if it isn’t my beloved daughter-in-law.

(Haley enters the house and Dan shuts the door behind her. She sighs.)

DAN: Haley, so nice of you to come by and check on me following my accident.

(He walks into the living room.)

DAN: Oh, by the way, I think I found a pair of your black gloves. Leather, right?

HALEY: (Completely confused.) Uh,… No, I-I don’t own any… black gloves, Mr. Scott. (She looks around.)

DAN: I know your parents aren’t around… so call me dad.

(Haley looks at him as if he’s lost it.)

HALEY: I’d really just like to see Nathan.

DAN: He didn’t tell you he was coming home.

(Haley doesn’t answer but its answer enough for Dan.)

DAN: (Indecently pleased.) Sometimes I’m so proud of that kid(!)

(He turns around and walks to his alcohol.)

DAN: Can I fix you a drink?

(Haley shakes her head.)

DAN: I hear you rock stars are big drinkers, right?

(He picks up a bottle and tests the rim to see if there’s any white residue on it before pouring some.)

DAN: Well,… suit yourself.

HALEY: Deb said you moved out.

DAN: Yeah, sucks, huh? (Sits on the couch.) My marriage is over. (Pauses before smiling at her.) Who knew you and I would have so much in common after all?

HALEY: Could you please just tell Nathan that I’m here?

DAN: (Plainly) Oh, he’s not home.

(Haley looks at him before standing abruptly and walking a few steps. She looks back at him, shakes her head slightly and walks out of the room – straight backed.)

(The door opens and closes as Dan smiles.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERWALK – RIVERSIDE – DAY]

(sh*t of the bridge before panning left to Ellie who is leaning on the bars, looking out over the sea.)

LARRY: We had an agreement! (He walks into the sh*t.)

ELLIE: (Looks at him.) Hi, Larry. Long time.

LARRY: Not long enough(!) You’ll forgive me if I skip the love and go straight to the ‘you gotta lot of nerve’ part. Peyton is a real mess right now.

ELIIE: Well, I’m sorry about that.

LARRY: You caused it.

ELLIE: No, I think you caused it by not telling her about me.

LARRY: Don’t even go there, Ellie! You agreed to stay away.

ELLIE: (Angrily) YEAH, WELL THINGS CHANGE!

(Larry looks at her knowingly and she looks away, abashed.)

ELLIE: You have a right to be pissed. I said I’d stay away but my situation has changed, and now, I would like to get to know Peyton. (Pause) With your blessing of course.

LARRY: That is not going to happen. (Pause) You gave her up… you have to live with that. (He stops just before leaving.) And now, thanks to your change of heart, so does Peyton.

(He starts to walk away.)

LARRY: Stay away from us.

(Ellie turns back after he leaves and sighs. She’s torn.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – UNLIT BONFIRE – DAY]

(Camera travels up the unlit bonfire to Lucas and Brooke who are throwing sticks into the circle, ready to light it.)

BROOKE: You think this is enough?

LUCAS: For a campfire. (They stand back with hands on hips.) Not a bonfire. I’ll get some more before I pick you up, alright?

BROOKE: Oh,… (Embarrassed) I was… thinking about riding in with Peyton and… playing the field tonight.

(Lucas laughs and looks down, taking his sunglasses off.)

LUCAS: (Not looking at her.) The field, (Nods) right.

BROOKE: We said non-exclusive.

LUCAS: Yes, I know, but…

(Brooke puts her hands back on her hips, smiles and waits for him to explain.)

LUCAS: Well, I’m not sure you’re gonna be able to handle this whole ‘non-exclusive’ thing.

BROOKE: (Gapes at him before laughing.) Oh-ho(!) You don’t say?

LUCAS: Well, I mean, you know, pretty soon you’re obviously gonna fall me and then you’re gonna have to break up with all those other guys and that’s just gonna get ugly.

BROOKE: (Playing along.) I see.

(She pauses before looking at him.)

LUCAS: (Hands up.) Just looking out for ya.

BROOKE: Well thanks, I think I’ll be fine.

LUCAS: (Semi seriously.) You’re sure?

BROOKE: I’m sure.

(Lucas smiles but doesn’t argue.)

BROOKE: Well, since the work’s done, (Pulls her top off.) I think I’m gonna go for a little swim.

(She has a bathing suit on underneath.)

BROOKE: You, uh… wanna come and look out for me some more?

LUCAS: (Watches her.) Sure. (Pause) I’ll catch you up.

BROOKE: K.

(She turns and runs at the sea, turning back briefly before carrying on.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Close-up of a cake in its jar. The camera pans right so the front door is visible. Lucas enters.)

LUCAS: (Walking to Karen.) Hey, what’s up, mom?

KAREN: Can I ask you a question?

LUCAS: Yeah, sure.

KAREN: (Looks down and reads from the newly decorated table.) What does ‘whoot’ mean?

LUCAS: (Laughs) ‘Whoot?’

KAREN: Yeah, you know, I have this hip new café I need to be sure that my vocabulary is current. (Smiles)

LUCAS: Right. Well, uh, ‘whoot’ would be like… (Thinks) ‘yahoo’.

KAREN: Oh, OK, so I would go like (Pause) ‘WHOOT’!

(Lucas jumps back slightly in surprise.)

LUCAS: No, (Looks around embarrassedly.) mom. You would never go like that and as a matter of fact, never do that again.

(Karen laughs.)

KAREN: But, if ‘whoot’ is ‘yahoo’, (Looks over his shoulder.) then what is ‘what-what’?

LUCAS: (Laughs) You wanna know the difference between ‘whoot’ and ‘what-what’?

KAREN: Yeah, you know, like (Makes some really dodgy hand movements.) ‘WHAT-WHAAAT!’

LUCAS: (Mortified) Mom,… (Shakes his head.) seriously. (Pause) Never again.

(He points at her as she moves away with the dirty dishes.)

LUCAS: You gotta lay off the hip-hop. This is Andy’s influence, isn’t it?

(Karen walks to the counter and Lucas follows her.)

LUCAS: When’s he coming back anyway?

KAREN: (Evasively) Well, I’m not so sure that he is coming back.

LUCAS: Why not?

KAREN: Because, Lucas,… Andy wanted kids. He wanted to start a family and I’m… not sure that I want the same.

LUCAS: Oh, so, what, your first kid was soooo rotten that I scared you from trying again?

KAREN: Essentially yes, that’s it. (Laughs)

(Lucas squints at her in mock betrayal.)

KAREN: Andy’s a wonderful guy. He deserves a family.

(Lucas looks at her to continue.)

KAREN: And… then there’s Keith.

LUCAS: What about Keith?

KAREN: Well I’ve been… thinking about him a lot. (Pause) As a matter of fact I, uh, thought I saw him in town the day I left for New Zealand. You know, the day of the fire at Dan’s dealership.

(Lucas absorbs that information. His eyebrows draw together and he gets fidgety.)

LUCAS: You know, maybe I should go. (He gets up.) Gotta lot of errands to run before this beach party tonight.

KAREN: (Fake deep voice.) End-of-the-summer beach party, what-whaaaat! (Makes the dodgy hands movements again.)

(Lucas stops at the door and pauses for a moment before looking back, smiling at her, and walking out.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GYM – DAY]

(Nathan is pushing weights in the gym. Haley enters.)

HALEY: Hey.

(Nathan sighs and sets the bar on its hooks. He sits up.)

HALEY: I saw your car. I… I didn’t know you were home.

NATHAN: (Pauses) Yeah, I know. (Dabs the sweat off his face with a towel.)

HALEY: Did you get the letters I sent?

NATHAN: (Sighs heavily again.) Yeah. (Wipes his arms.)

HALEY: It’s good to see you.

NATHAN: Look, Haley, I can’t do this, alright?

HALEY: What? You can’t do what? You can’t talk to me? (Walks closer to him.)

(He doesn’t face her or answer her.)

HALEY: You didn’t even tell me you were home, Nathan. What were you gonna do, pass me in the hallway at school and not say a word?

NATHAN: (Stands) I didn’t even know of you’d be in school(!)

HALEY: I told you, I’m back for good.

(He looks down.)

HALEY: Anyway, um,… I don’t know if you heard but I’m staying in our apartment. (Laughs) Brooke rented it and asked me to be her roommate.

NATHAN: (Raises his eyebrows.) You and Brooke, huh?

HALEY: (Smiling) Yeah. I did not see that coming. Oh, by the way, if this basketball thing doesn’t work out, you may have a future as a painter. (Looks at him pointedly.)

(Nathan realises what she’s talking about and looks down again. Haley just smiles.)

HALEY: Nathan,… we have some decisions to make.

NATHAN: Yeah,… yeah, we do.

HALEY: (Whispering) Yeah.

(Close-up of her hands as she plays with her wedding ring.)

HALEY: Well, um,… I guess I’ll… hit the beach tonight. End-of-summer party.

(Nathan smiles and puts his bottle aside.)

NATHAN: (Whispers) OK.

(Haley walks to the doors and looks back. Nathan goes back to his weights and takes them off the pole.)

HALEY: You’ve changed.

NATHAN: Yeah. (Pulls weights off.) I guess I have you to thank for that.

(Haley sighs and leaves.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERWALK – SHOPS – DAY]

(Ellie is standing outside, talking to a tall kid. She slips him some money. He looks around, making sure nobody’s watching.)

(Lucas stands in the distance, watching them. He pulls his earphones off in the hopes of hearing what they’re saying. He frowns as he sees the guy slip something into her hand under the pretence of shaking it. Ellie walks past him and spots Lucas watching.)

(Lucas looks away. Ellie pauses before carrying on to wherever she’s going. Lucas turns around and walks away.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(A door closes off-screen. The camera pans right to Peyton who is on her bed, sorting through her records. Brooke walks into her room.)

BROOKE: (Frowning) OK, not exactly your finest hour in party attire but who knows, somebody might go for the homeless girl look.

PEYTON: You know I don’t even wanna go to this thing.

BROOKE: I know, but because Mouth is throwing himself his own personal pity-party over Erica Marsh, you P. Sawyer, as you know, are my DJ.

(Peyton groans and turns to her.)

BROOKE: Besides, this is the last end-of-summer beach party we’re gonna have before we’re seniors. (Pouts)

PEYTON: Oh, come on, you know you’re gonna have another chance next year after you flunk out and have to repeat a grade(!)

BROOKE: See, that’s the spirit! (Her smiles falls.) Sort of. (Peyton nods.) Little mean but it’s a start. Speaking of mean; please don’t be to Haley tonight, OK? Let’s party. (Slaps her on the arm.)

(Peyton carries her basket of records and follows Brooke out.)

BROOKE: Come on.

(They walk out. Camera pans to Peyton’s bed where there are still a few records lying in a pile.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – THE PARTY – DAY]

(Pan up from a sandcastle where the drinks are being served from. A guy hands them out. Tim runs across the frame to Brooke.)

TIM: It’s about time(!)

(Brooke frowns at him.)

TIM: (Holding a box and jumping around.) Can we light the bonfire now?! Can we? Can we?

BROOKE: Oh, look, it’s Tim. I had a dream you d*ed. Darn(!)

(Tim looks into his box.)

TIM: Look, check it out; I brought some really cool stuff to burn. I got, um,… cleaning supplies, some army men, some rotten fruit. Oh, and there’s this dead animal down the beach that would burn really cool.

BROOKE: Come to think of it, Tim, you might burn really cool. Let’s sacrifice a virgin.

TIM: (Clueless) Sweet(!) Like who?

(Brooke just looks at him. A siren sounds and Tim drops his box.)

TIM: CRAP, COPS!

(He smacks the cups out of a line of big, tough looking, half naked, guys and stands beside them, arms crossed. Two guys approach them.)

GUY 1: Hey, Brooke, what’s going on? You got cups for us?

BROOKE: (Smiles) Sure, boys, right this way.

(They follow her and the guys look at Tim, completely pissed off.)

TIM: (Picking up their cups for them.) I’m sorry, I thought they were five-oh, I- (Picks up each cup and gives them back to the people.) I-I’m sure there’s still… (Points) some…

(He turns and runs away.)

(Camera pans along to sh*ts of random people having fun.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. BEACH HOUSE – FRONT PORCH – EVENING]

(Dan is sitting in a recliner, reading the fire investigation report that was made for the fire in the dealership. He frowns and flips another page. The one word that sticks out is ‘ACCIDENTAL’. It is not being treated as arson. The last line reads: ‘This fire investigation is CLOSED’.)

(Dan leans back and flashes on the fire again.)

CUT TO:

(The fire covers the place. All of the shapes are blurry. Camera pans hard right to a pile of flames. Focus on Dan’s face as he opens his eyes and sees a blurry figure approaching him.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – THE PARTY – EVENING]

(sh*t of a burning torch.)

BROOKE: (o.s) People have had fire rituals (Pan down to Brooke holding the torch.) since the beginning of time. (Pause) For some people it’s witchcraft; for others, religion; but for us, it marks the beginning of our senior year!

(Everybody raises their cups and yells in approval. Lucas and Haley look at each other.)

BROOKE: I know we have to go back to school soon, but tonight, as long as this fire burns, summer is still ours.

(Brooke lowers the torch onto the bonfire and the flames spread quickly over the accelerant. The crowd roars again. Brooke sticks the touch into the ground and turns to Peyton. Peyton nods her head, earphone to her ears and puts the music on.)

(The crowd’s enthusiasm dies painfully as they hear the sad, slow song Peyton puts on. Brooke turns around, exasperated and completely annoyed. She walks away without complaining.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DINING AREA – EVENING]

(Dan walks across the café and straight to Karen.)

KAREN: Look who it is – the kissing bandit. Did you fondle anyone while I was away?

DAN: I should apologise. I won’t, (Grins) but I should. That kiss was a reckless mistake. (Pause) Sorta like Lucas. (Sits down.)

(Karen watches his every move closely.)

DAN: That was a joke.

KAREN: Funny(!) No wonder you’re getting a divorce. (Harshly wipes the counter in front of him.) How’s that going, by the way?

DAN: Why, you ready for round two?

KAREN: (Makes a face and coughs a little.) Sorry, I just… threw up a little in my mouth. (Smiles)

DAN: Can I just have a coffee, please?

KAREN: Sure, just… let me spit in it first. (Smirks and turns her back.)

DAN: Or, maybe you could drug it.

(Karen stops but doesn’t turn back to him.)

DAN: You know, Karen, as I recall, you were pretty angry with me the day of the fire.

(Karen scoffs and pours the coffee.)

KAREN: You know what, Dan? (Turns back with a smile.) You looking for people who were pretty angry with you, you might start at ‘A’, in the phonebook.

DAN: You mean ‘A’ as in Andy? (Pause) Or maybe ‘B’, as in Boozy. (Pause) What do we hear from rag doll Keith these days anyway?

KAREN: What’re you trying to say? The fire wasn’t an accident?

DAN: Why? (Pause) Is that what you’re saying?

KAREN: …You know what, I think I’m gonna play the old ‘right to refuse service’ card. You can get out. (Points to the door.)

DAN: You said I could have a coffee.

KAREN: Well, let’s just call that a… reckless mistake.

DAN: Hmm, fair enough. (Pause) Say hi to Andy for me. (Stands) That is if you ever see the little guy again.

KAREN: You know what? If someone… did try to k*ll ya, I’m sorry they failed, Dan.

(Camera zooms in on his annoyed face.)

KAREN: (Smirking cruelly.) Maybe next time they won’t. (Pause) Whoever they were.

(Karen smiles and Dan walks out of the café. The camera focuses on Karen’s conspiratorial expression.)

FADE TO:

(Tim is sitting down. People are there but are wearing sickened expressions. He is naked with only a guitar covering his privates.)

TIM: (Singing) # Who wants to swim,

With naked Tim?

Who wants to get drunk,

And have sex with him? #

(The girls turn and leave. One woman stops to look at him, her hand on her belly.)

TIM: (Frowning) I know they call it skinny dipping but… you wanna try anyway?

GIRL: I’m pregnant you idiot(!)

(She continues walking past him as he thinks.)

TIM: I’m cool with that!

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – LIFEGUARD TOWER – EVENING]

(Lucas is leaning against the lifeguard tower, watching the party from the distance. He watches Brooke as she talks to about four different guys, laughing and enjoying herself. Haley comes up from behind.)

HALEY: Hey, (Lucas looks at her.) how’s that… casual dating thing working out for ya?

LUCAS: So-so.

HALEY: Could be worse – Nathan didn’t even show up(!)

(She walks past him, depressed.)

(Lucas looks at her before looking back at Brooke. He turns his back and walks to Peyton.)

(Peyton’s drinking from her cup.)

LUCAS: I don’t blame ya.

PEYTON: What’s that?

LUCAS: This music. (Pause) It’s enough to drive anyone to drink.

(Peyton turns away and drops the earphones.)

LUCAS: Mom stuff?

PEYTON: I don’t know. I don’t feel like I owe Ellie a thing. You know? But… I still feel guilty sometimes; for freezing her out.

LUCAS: Yeah?

PEYTON: I mean, is trusting someone always gonna be impossible in my life? (Pause) Maybe I should at least try with her.

(Lucas looks away, holding it back.)

PEYTON: (Looks at him.) I see that look again.

LUCAS: What look? I don’t have a look.

PEYTON: Dude,… you’ve got a tell the size of JLO’s ass. (Lucas looks away and scratches his head.) Whaddaya got on Ellie?

(Lucas tries to say it but he can’t.)

PEYTON: Luke,… if I’m a bout to make a huge mistake, please just… help me out.

(Lucas waits.)

LUCAS: The thing is… I saw her buying dr*gs in the park today, I’m sorry.

(Peyton looks down.)

PEYTON: Oh, god(!) (Pause) You know what, it… it makes all the sense in the world, you know? She said she was clean but so far all she’s done is lie anyway, so…

(Both of them look down – equally depressed.)

BROOKE: Is this a funeral? Will you please play something that doesn’t make me wanna sh**t-up and die?

(Lucas looks at her delicately. Peyton shifts the needle of one record and puts one on the other. Normal, Peyton music, starts to play. Brooke smiles and nods.)

BROOKE: Thank you.

(Peyton looks at Lucas before grabbing her cup.)

PEYTON: I need a drink.

(Lucas looks at Brooke who shrugs, takes her own cup and walks back off to the party. He sighs and leans on the deck.)

(People are having fun, letting off steam before returning to school. Guys are chasing girls with water g*ns and making out.)

(Camera cuts back to Lucas who is making fun of them by dancing like a po-go. Haley stands beside him. Tim is standing by the fire, still playing his guitar in all his nudity, and sweating.)

(Brooke walks up to Lucas.)

BROOKE: If I were looking for a guy to go skinny-dipping with, would you be that guy? (Smiles and wiggles her eyebrows.)

(Lucas laughs before seeing Haley sitting there; upset and alone.)

LUCAS: Can I be that guy in twenty minutes?

BROOKE: Hmmm… I’ll give you fifteen and then I’m going wide with the offer.

(She smiles and runs off in the opposite direction. Lucas looks at Haley again before making a decision and walking off-screen.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – EVENING]

(Nathan is sh**ting hoops by himself on the court. Lucas walks up.)

LUCAS: How come you’re not at the party?

NATHAN: (Pause) How come you’re not in the gym? You know, that little one-on-one game, that was a joke. And you better get yourself in shape, otherwise you’re gonna be completely worthless to me this season. (Pause) Instead of mostly worthless like you are now(!)

(He jumps and throws the ball at the hoop again.)

LUCAS: I know why you’re here, Nathan. (Pause) Haley’s not going away, you know?

NATHAN: Dude, for once, could you just mind your own damn business?

LUCAS: As soon as you forgive her(!) (Nathan looks away.) And try to work things out. (Nathan scoffs.) She loves you, Nate.

NATHAN: And is that supposed to make everything OK?

LUCAS: (Thinks before answering honestly.) Yeah, it is.

NATHAN: (Grins without humour.) You’re an idiot.

(Nathan chucks that ball again and gets it through the basket. Lucas takes it and groans in annoyance – one step away from punching his brother.)

LUCAS: YOU KNOW SOMETHING, NATHAN?! I’VE TRIED WITH YOU! (Pause) BUT SOMETIMES, I WONDER WHY I BOTHER!

NATHAN: Then don’t.

LUCAS: FINE, I WON’T! (Calms down and walks up to him.) You wanna… be a coward? Fine. Stay here and hide(!) Don’t go to the party. (Pause) But if you think I’m gonna let you mistreat Haley, you’re wrong. Don’t try it for a second, because if you do, I’m gonna hurt ya.

(Nathan looks away and shakes his head, aware that Lucas’ completely serious.)

LUCAS: Jackass.

(He drops the ball and walks away, leaving Nathan standing there with his hands on his hips.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(The camera pans up to a pile of clothes. Lucas stands over them and realises that they are Brooke’s. He puts a hand to his head and looks out at the sea. He spots Brooke there with a few guys.)

(Haley walks up to him.)

HALEY: (Frowning) Well, at least she won’t drown naked.

(Lucas frowns and looks back. Brooke’s with the lifeguards. He’s not pleased as he turns and walks away again.)

(Tim has thankfully donned some clothes. He’s carrying his guitar as he approaches Haley.)

TIM: Hey, Tutor Girl, (Points to the sky.) check it out – the stars are blue.

(Holds his guitar out to her.)

TIM: Do your song.

HALEY: Ah, no, thanks.

TIM: Why not?

(Haley shrugs.)

HALEY: Because I don’t want to.

TIM: Oh, come on, don’t be stuck-up. Look, I’ll sing the Chris Keller part-

(Nathan comes up behind them.)

HALEY: Tim, I really don’t wanna sing-

TIM: Just do it. Please(!)

HALEY: I don’t know- oh(!)

(Nathan grabs the guitar and throws it onto the bonfire then continues walking. The crowd cheers. Tim looks up at him.)

TIM: Nathan’s back(!) (Rushes off after him.)

(Haley looks at them with a smile.)

(Cut to Lucas who is standing there, a frown back in place.)

(Haley looks at the burning guitar. It’s clear how Nathan feels.)

(Brooke is out of the water with a blue towel wrapped around her. She grabs her clothes and stops at Lucas.)

BROOKE: Lucas.

LUCAS: (Says bye to who he was talking to and turns to Brooke.) Hey.

BROOKE: You having fun yet?

LUCAS: Are you?

BROOKE: Yeah. (Smiles) You know, we’re never gonna be here again, Luke. Senior; summer; you gotta enjoy it.

LUCAS: No, you’re right. We should enjoy it. Don’t you think that… if we’re never gonna be here again, then maybe we should make it mean something to us?

(One lifeguard powers up his speaker.)

LIFEGUARD: Brooke Davis, do not put your clothes on!

(Brooke smiles and looks at Lucas.)

BROOKE: Um…

LUCAS: (Smiles) Joe calls.

(Brooke smiles and leaves. As soon as she’s gone, his smile drops and his eyes sadden.)

(Cut to Peyton who is back at the deck with her drink. Haley walks up behind her.)

HALEY: Hey, girly. (Smiles) I left you like a million messages. Where you been?

PEYTON: (Uncaringly) Around.

(Haley quickly gets that Peyton is not happy with her. She looks away.)

HALEY: Drinking, huh? I should probably join you with the night I’m having. It’s like… Tim wants me to play; Nathan won’t even talk to me.

PEYTON: Well it’s not like you don’t deserve it(!)

(Haley looks at her, hurt. Peyton puts on a different record. ‘When The Stars Go Blue’ starts up by Haley and Chris. Peyton walks away, past Nathan who is approaching Haley.)

(Haley doesn’t see him as she sits there, thinking about the husband and friends she has lost.)

NATHAN: (Stops) Hey?

(Haley looks at him.)

NATHAN: Can I talk to you?

(Haley smiles and nods as the song continues to play. They walk off onto the beach.)

NATHAN: I wanted to say I’m sorry. I should have told you I was back in town.

HALEY: (Happy that he’s talking to her again.) It’s OK.

NATHAN: Not really. (Pause) Look, I’ve been avoiding you because I’m still mad, Haley, about everything. (Pause) And I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

(Haley nods but doesn’t say anything.)

NATHAN: You know the last two times I came to the beach? (Looks at her.) For our wedding, and to burn the Wedding Wall.

HALEY: So that’s what happened to it.

NATHAN: Well, first I broke it in half with the keyboard I bought you. And then I b*rned it.

(Haley gets that he’s not there to even try and mend the rift.)

NATHAN: I’m sorry.

HALEY: …Nathan,… I need to ask you something and I really don’t want you to take it the wrong way.

(Nathan stops and waits.)

HALEY: I need to know what you want from me, or from us. (Thinks) Where are we now?

NATHAN: I don’t know.

HALEY: What do you want us to be?

NATHAN: I don’t know, Haley. I can’t answer that right now.

HALEY: I can. I want us to be together.

NATHAN: Why? (Pause, off Haley’s hurt face.) I mean, we’re so far away from… who we used to be. Why even fight for it?

HALEY: (Completely sure.) Because I love you.

(Nathan looks away and sighs.)

NATHAN: Well, listen,… basketball season’s coming up and I’m… I’m gonna concentrate on that. So,… you should do your thing, whatever it is; school, music. Something other than me. (Pause) Because,… I really don’t know when I’m gonna be ready for us again. (Shrugs) Or even if… I’ll be ready for us at all.

HALEY: (Distraught) Oh, Nathan, don’t say that, god(!)

NATHAN: Haley, I’m not saying it to be mean… OK? I don’t… I don’t like hurting you. I’m just trying to be honest.

(Haley doesn’t look at him. She barely moves.)

NATHAN: (Uncomfortable) I’m gonna head back. Alright?

(He walks off. Haley gathers some strength before calling out to him.)

HALEY: Nathan!?

(He stops and turns back.)

HALEY: …I’m not going anywhere.

(She looks at him. He takes a moment.)

NATHAN: … OK.

(He walks away. Haley sighs sadly and looks at the stars.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(People are still having fun at the party. Lucas walks to Haley and sits beside her. They are separated from the fun and enjoyment.)

LUCAS: And then… (Leans back.) there were two. (Pause) Hey, it’s not so bad. This is how we started last school year and look how good that turned out.

(Haley laughs humourlessly.)

LUCAS: (Shakes his head before taking her hand.) Let’s take a walk.

(Haley looks at him and nods. He hugs her and they walk. Lucas stops as he sees Brooke dancing with the lifeguards.)

LUCAS: Give me a minute.

(He walks to Brooke who’s laughing with the guys. They stop when they see him.)

LUCAS: What’s going on, guys?

LIFEGUARD: What’s up?

LUCAS: (To Brooke.) You gotta second?

BROOKE: Sure, what’s up?

LUCAS: I’m the guy for you. (Pause) I know we’re just part-time, that’s cool. You know, do whatever, have your fun. (Smiles) But one of these nights, you’re gonna realise it: (Pause) I’m the guy for you, Brooke Davis.

(Brooke looks at him, surprised. Lucas turns away but turns back.)

LUCAS: You’ll see.

(Brooke’s expression remains the same.)

LUCAS: (To the lifeguards.) You guys take it easy.

(He walks away. Brooke walks away from the lifeguards, to where Nathan is standing. They watch as Lucas puts his arm around Haley again and they walk off.)

(Cut back to Nathan and Brooke. She smiles and nods slightly.)

FADE TO:

[INT. CAFÉ – DINING AREA – EVENING]

(Ellie is sitting at the table, writing something. Peyton enters and walks up to her. She set a phial in front of her.)

PEYTON: Here. It used to be my cocaine phial. (They look at each other.) Thought you might like it considering you were buying dr*gs today.

(Peyton looks at her with pain in her eyes before turning and leaving. Ellie doesn’t try to deny it. She looks back down at the paper.)

FADE TO:

(The party is still raging.)

LUCAS: It’s gonna be OK, Hales. As a matter of fact, I… think it’s the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

(Haley looks at him steadily.)

LUCAS: Again.

(She laughs and they walk out of the sh*t.)

(Dan walks onto the scene with his own alcohol. He looks at Haley and Lucas near the fire. He smiles and raises the glass to his lips but pauses as he sees Lucas behind the flames.)

FLASHBACK TO:

(The fire rages and a figure rounds the corner. The figure is burry as the sh*ts cut between the head and body as well as the flames. Suddenly, the sh*t comes into focus and Lucas is standing there with an evil gleam in his eyes.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

(Close-up of the glass in Dan’s hand as he squeezes it too hard and it shatters. He looks back up at Lucas with betrayal shining in his eyes. Lucas continues to laugh and joke with Haley as they watch the bonfire.)

(Dan seethes with suppressed rage.)

END