03x03 - First Day on a Brand New Planet

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x03 - First Day on a Brand New Planet

Post by bunniefuu »

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – EVENING]

(Ellie stands at the door with Peyton.)

ELLIE: I’m your mother.

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE DOCK – DAY]

(Peyton is talking to her father.)

PEYTON: Is this woman my mother?

LARRY: Your mom is gone, Peyton, but… your biological mother is alive.

(Peyton gapes at him.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL – THE PARK – DAY]

(Ellie and a shifty looking guy are secretly exchanging money and dr*gs.)

LUCAS: (v.o) I saw her buying dr*gs in the park today. I’m sorry.

(Lucas watches them with his mouth open.)

CUT TO:

[INT. BROOKE’S APARTMENT – BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke and Mouth are sitting on her bed.)

BROOKE: (Shocked) You and Erica broke up?

MOUTH: She got popular. (Nods)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – EVENING]

(Haley and Nathan stand on the beach, a little way apart from everyone else.)

HALEY: I love you.

NATHAN: I really don’t know when I’m gonna be ready for us again. Or even if… if I’ll be ready for us at all.

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – DAY]

(Brooke takes clothes out of the closet whilst talking to Lucas.)

BROOKE: We could totally have a summer-like fling, just in the fall. And… non-exclusive.

(Looks at him carefully.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE BEACH – THE PARTY – EVENING]

(Lucas stands in front of Brooke whilst she’s with a bunch of lifeguards.)

LUCAS: I’m the guy for you, Brooke Davis. (Pause) You’ll see.

(Brooke smiles at him, shocked.)

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Close-up of the charred piece of paper.)

DAN: (v.o) Three months ago, someone tried to k*ll me.

(sh*t of Lucas’ face.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAN SCOTT MOTORS – DAN’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Fire covers the dealership.)

CUT TO:

(Dan stands a way off, unseen by the people enjoying the party. He watches Lucas and Haley talking and laughing behind the bonfire.)

DAN: (v.o) And when I find out who did this to me, and I will find out soon.

(He pauses as he sees Lucas’ form behind the flames and his memory kicks in.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas’s face comes into focus as he stands there, evil gleam in his eyes.)

CUT TO:

(Dan stands on the platform, watching Lucas with betrayal shining in his eyes.)

DAN: (v.o) The sins I commit then could turn this place to rubble(!)

(Dan squeezes the glass too hard and it shatters under the grip. The camera pans up to his disbelieving face.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – THE ROOF – EVENING]

(Focus on the view from over the wall of the café roof. The camera pans down slowly. Lucas is at one wall, pulling a brick out.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote: ‘All are architects of fate… living in these walls of time’.

(Lucas finally yanks the brick out and takes out a small metal box. He looks at it and smiles before sitting down. He wipes the dust off the tin and opens it. Inside are two folded up pieces of paper, he sets them aside.)

HALEY: (v.o) Looks like we’re gonna have to go to Augusta (She walks into the sh*t.) to get in a decent nine holes, huh?

(She looks around; it’s not how she left it.)

LUCAS: (Smiles regretfully.) I didn’t think you were coming back so I… took the course down. It didn’t feel right, letting it fall apart.

HALEY: You’re just tired of me schooling your sorry butt.

(Lucas smiles and hands her one of the papers.)

LUCAS: I didn’t think you’d remember.

HALEY: Are you kidding me? Tomorrow’s the first day of school. Every year we try and predict what the next year’s gonna hold and… every year I realise how out of touch I was with the year before.

(Lucas laughs.)

HALEY: Unless of course this says that I’d be married and separated by now.

(Haley unfolds the paper and reads. She coughs.)

LUCAS: Well, zero hour.

HALEY: You first.

LUCAS: ‘This year, I’m going to kiss a boy’. (Nods)

HALEY: That’s mine! (Snatches it away.) It’s from seventh grade!

LUCAS: Well, it finally happened for you then.

(Haley laughs and smacks him.)

HALEY: Shut up(!)

(She reads then one she’s holding.)

HALEY: What about you? (Reads) ‘This year I’ll talk to Peyton Sawyer(!)’

LUCAS: It doesn’t say that(!) (Takes it back.)

HALEY: It does, look at it.

(Lucas reads it.)

LUCAS: Oh.

HALEY: (Reading.) ‘This year, I’ll volunteer at the tutor center’.

LUCAS: ‘Mom and Keith will finally get married’.

(Haley looks at him and smiles sadly.)

HALEY: ‘I’ll date a (Slows down and frowns.) musician’.

(She frowns and Lucas looks at her.)

HALEY: Why do we do this again?

LUCAS: It’s supposed to be fun.

HALEY: How bout this year we wait and see how the first day goes before any predictions?

(Lucas nods and they refold the papers.)

LUCAS: It’s good to have you back, Haley. (Pause) Couldn’ta done the senior year without you.

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL (EST) – DAY]

(sh*t of the sign which reads ‘TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL: WELCOME BACK STUDENTS’. People walk past the sign.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(Haley and Lucas enter the corridor. It is instantly obvious that Haley is getting a lot of muted attention. Lots of girls look at her.)

HALEY: (To Lucas.) OK, I know in high school you always feel like everyone’s staring at you but this is ridiculous(!)

LUCAS: Well, they’re not used to having a celebrity in their mi-

(Haley slaps him.)

LUCAS: Ow(!) (Looks at her annoyed.) Get over it.

HALEY: Let’s just find our lockers. (Looks through her book.) I’m 141. (Looks around.) What are you?

(He looks at his hand.)

LUCAS: Uh… 143. (Raises his eyebrows.) It must be alphabetical.

HALEY: Which means… (Haley’s eyes widen.)

(They point and sure enough, Nathan shuts locker 139. He turns and looks at her.)

NATHAN: (Indifferently) You shoulda used your stage name. (Turns and walks away.)

(Haley watches him, upset. Lucas looks down at her.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Brooke and Lucas are now walking together.)

BROOKE: I waited for you this morning.

LUCAS: What d’ya mean?

BROOKE: I just figured since it’s the first day of school the ‘guy for me’ would… pick me up; bring me flowers, maybe a bagel. (Shrugs) Just saying, (Stops at her locker.) not that impressive.

(Lucas looks at her and smiles.)

LUCAS: I had a couple things to take care of.

BROOKE: Hmm.

(She takes the lock off and opens the door. She gapes at the tiny disco ball, fairy lights, streamers and pictures stuck up in there. He’s written ‘Lucas and Brooke forever’ on her mirror in pink lipstick.)

BROOKE: You totally pimped my locker.

(She smiles, speechless.)

LUCAS: (Over her shoulder.) Yeah. (Sighs) It’s very exclusive.

(Brooke looks at him open-mouthed. He walks away and she puts her things in her locker with a big grin before shutting it again.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – DAY]

(Brooke exits the school and walks on quickly. She sees someone off-screen.)

BROOKE: Hey, roommate, you were out early this morning. You know, it’s the first day, you have to pace yourself.

HALEY: (Scoffs) I’m usually one of those people who likes the fist day of school. You know, new pens; new book; new backpack.

BROOKE: A nerd.

HALEY: Exactly.

(Brooke laughs.)

HALEY: I found out that I’m behind for the first time in my academic career and I’m gonna have to work twice as hard if I wanna graduate by June, so- (Shrugs. Peyton walks up behind them,) And everybody here’s giving me the zoo treatment except for Nathan who of course wont… really look at me.

BROOKE: Right.

PEYTON: You could always run away and join a rock tour. (They look at her.) Oh, wait, you already did that. (Grins and waves at Brooke before walking away.)

(Haley looks away, annoyed. Brooke smiles just to keep the peace.)

BROOKE: (Uncomfortably) She’s had a complicated… year. (Nods) I’ll talk to her.

(Brooke leaves Haley alone to walk past a g*ng of girls who make no show of hiding their curiosity and cruelty. Sue mimes an air guitar and mouths ‘Rock star’. Haley walks past them, rolling her eyes.)

SUE: Hey, you got a problem?

(They laugh as Haley ignores them and walks into the school. Nathan is watching them from a far-off table.)

(Mouth comes up behind Nathan.)

MOUTH: Nathan, you think I can get a quick interview? (Sits next to him.) I’m podcasting a preseason Ravens report.

NATHAN: (Distracted) Podcasting?

MOUTH: Yeah, it’s kinda like a radio but fans can download it and listen to it on their iPods.

(Nathan nods.)

MOUTH: (Begins recording.) We’re here with number 23: Nathan Scott. Nate, what’s your prediction for this Ravens team? Is this the year that you’ll finally claim that elusive championship trophy or will it once again end up in the arms of someone else? (His smile falls.) Someone more popular; better looking; possibly a surfer, (Nathan’s brow creases.) leaving you empty and angry with only that final buzzer of regret ringing in you ears!

(His harsh breathing subsides and he waits for a second before holding the Dictaphone out to Nathan.)

NATHAN: (Lost for a moment.) I… think we’ll have a great season. (Looks at Mouth weirdly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Whitey is in his office polishing a big basketball trophy. He stares at it as Dan stops in the doorway.)

WHITEY: Oh no, (sh*t cuts over his shoulder, Dan is reflected off the trophy.) sometimes I wish I had gone blind.

DAN: Easy, old-timer. (Smiles) I just came by to congratulate you on your four-hundredth year at Tree Hill High. (Smirks)

(Whitey laughs humourlessly.)

WHITEY: Well, I see, uh,… Nathan ranked, nationally, ten spots ahead of you (Looks at the paper.) if memory serves.

DAN: Yeah, well, it would have been higher if they’d gone off last years records of his weak play at that damn camp.

WHITEY: Does anything ever make you happy, Danny?

DAN: (Smirking) Actually, yeah. (Walks forward.) It’s the agenda for this weeks school board meeting (Hands a blue folder over.) take a look at item three. I put it in twenty-four point font so you can read it.

(Whitey looks at number three before shutting the folder harshly.)

WHITEY: ‘Replace Whitey Durham’.

DAN: It’s nothing personal. (Pause) Oh, wait a minute, who am I kidding? Of course it’s personal.

WHITEY: (Glowering) You know, it’s a shame you didn’t burn up along with your dealership. (Pause) But, of course, Dan Scott can survive anything, can’t he? Like a cockroach(!)

(Whitey flicks a lighter on. Dan stares at it and his gusto fades quickly. He backs up slightly.)

WHITEY: What’s the matter, Danny? (Picks up a candle.) I’m just lighting a candle. (Lights it.) Good for the… Feng Shui. (Amused) You look a little skittish. I thought fire was supposed to be Satan’s friend.

DAN: (Smiling again.) It is. (Pause) If you see Lucas, that is if you’re still able to, tell him I’d like to speak to him.

(Turns his back and leaves. Whitey is still grinning and he flicks the lighter closed.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Ellie opens the door and enters. She sees Lucas and walks to him.)

ELLIE: Lucas.

(Lucas slings his bag over his shoulder, basketball in hand. He looks at her.)

LUCAS: What do you want?

ELLIE: I need your help.

LUCAS: I’m sorry; I’m fresh out of heroine. Try the park.

(He starts to walk past her.)

ELLIE: (Stepping in front if him.) Wait, Lucas.

(He stops.)

ELLIE: You did see me buying dr*gs… but it was for medical reasons.

LUCAS: (Smiling to himself.) Let me guess, you’re going blind. (Walks away again.)

ELLIE: (Stops him again.) Actually, no. I have cancer.

(Lucas looks away, frowning.)

ELLIE: I didn’t want Peyton to know.

(Lucas listens.)

ELLIE: Marijuana helps with the nausea.

LUCAS: (Wrong footed) How far along?

ELLIE: Far enough.

LUCAS: I’m sorry.

ELLIE: I came back here coz I needed to know that Peyton was OK. (Pause) That she’d be OK.

LUCAS: She deserves to know. (Pause) You have to tell her.

ELLIE: I know, but I want her to get to know me first. On her own terms. Not because she feels sorry for me. I thought maybe… you could tell her you made a mistake. (Pause) Encourage her to give me another chance.

(Lucas looks away without replying.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – DAY]

(Lucas is playing a bit of basketball by himself. Dan walks onto the court and catches the ball when Lucas misses the basket. Lucas can’t believe his luck.)

LUCAS: (Uncaringly) Can I help you?

(Dan puts the ball through the hoop before answering.)

DAN: Taking a walk. Seems I’ve been doing a lot of that lately.

LUCAS: How bout taking a hike? Done that lately?

(Dan smiles to himself.)

DAN: Did I ever tell you about the dog I found in this park? (Walks forward.) I took him into my home, gave him the best of everything. Some might say I even spoiled him. (Pause) and then, one day,… he bit me.

LUCAS: Smart dog.

(Dan walks around him.)

DAN: Point is,… (Leans in close.) that dog never bit me again.

(Lucas watches him.)

DAN: (Continuing to walk.) I get why you come out here. (Pause) Fresh air; solitude. (Pause) Gives one clarity. (Turns to face Lucas.) That’s important. Something I’ve been trying to grasp at all summer but it just kept slipping through my fingers. (Pause) Until I saw you the other night at the beach. At the bonfire.

CUT TO FLASHBACK:

[EXT. THE BEACH – THE BONFIRE – EVENING]

(Haley and Lucas stand behind the bonfire and it roars with life.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

DAN: I know it was you, Lucas.

LUCAS: (Smiling unsteadily.) I don’t know what you’re talking about.

DAN: I saw you at the dealership that night.

CUT TO FLASHBACK:

(Lucas is bent over, struggling.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

DAN: (Snarling) You think I wouldn’t remember?! (Throws the ball at him.)

(Lucas catches it but his expression is hardened. He isn’t going to take crap from Dan. He throws the ball back, harder. Dan catches it.)

DAN: Careful now… (Smirks) don’t wanna get the heart rate up. Especially since you stopped taking your meds. It’d be a shame if you collapsed right here on the court and no one to call an ambulance.

(He looks at Lucas threateningly before throwing the ball back at him. Lucas catches it again.)

LUCAS: (Practically hissing.) Thanks for your concern.

(Throws the ball back, Dan barely catches it.)

LUCAS: (Viscously) Dad(!)

DAN: I didn’t raise you so… maybe you didn’t get the lesson… but if you’re gonna start something… you sure as hell better finish it(!)

(He throws the ball again, hard. Lucas holds his arms up and it hits him squarely on the chest. Lucas shakes his head.)

LUCAS: I’m not playing this game anymore.

(There’s a pause before Fergie, Mouth and Junk walk onto the court. They are looking shocked and confused. Dan looks at them before turning back with a plastic smile.)

DAN: Good talk son. (Winks) We’ll finish it soon.

(Dan walks away. Lucas, unnerved, does a full 360˚ before looking back at Dan’s retreating back.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Peyton is walking by herself before Nathan joins her.)

PEYTON: (Grinning) What’re you doing on this side of the school?

NATHAN: (Smiling) P.E.

PEYTON: (Amused) Whoa, what, by way of Florida? You’re dodging Haley.

NATHAN: Well, how’d you deal with it when we first broke up? Besides from immediately trying to hook up with Lucas.

(Peyton smacks him. Nathan laughs.)

NATHAN: No, seriously, I mean… how did you deal with having to see each other every day?

PEYTON: Really, the only thing I missed was skipping algebra and making out in my car. As much as I loathed kissing you, algebra was worse.

(Cut to Haley and Brooke walking along outside in another part of the school.)

HALEY: (Annoyed whilst struggling with her bag.) Oh, do you have any idea how annoying it is to only go to your locker once a day? I’m gonna need a good chiropractor.

BROOKE: Let’s talk about something happy. Like how we’re gonna get evicted if we don’t find money for rent.

HALEY: Wait a minute; I thought your parents sent you money.

BROOKE: Well,… it barely covered my back-to-school wardrobe.

HALEY: You spent your rent money on clothes?

BROOKE: I can’t come to school naked! It wouldn’t be very presidential. Although I suppose I would never have to worry about re-election.

HALEY: Oh my god, it’s so good that you’re not treasurer.

(Brooke shrugs agreeably.)

HALEY: By the way, have you talked to Peyton? I get why Nathan’s freezing me out but it’s not like I put Peyton up for adopti-

(She stops as they look up and practically walk over Peyton and Nathan who are coming right at them. Peyton looks at her, daring her to continue.)

HALEY: -on.

(Mouth walks up to them.)

MOUTH: Star forward, Nathan Scott and wife, Haley, face-to-face.

(Peyton looks at Haley and it’s clear she doesn’t like her. She looks at Brooke.)

MOUTH: How will her return affect his game? Will she destroy his average like Erica Marsh (Nathan sighs.) threatens to destroy this reporters GPA?!

(All of them look at Mouth in varying degrees of exasperation. Haley raises her eyebrows questioningly. The bell rings. Mouth continues to hold out his Dictaphone. They disperse. Haley and Brooke walk forward and Peyton and Nathan go the opposite way.)

(Mouth is left standing there on his own. He sighs and walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Whitey’s on the phone.)

WHITEY: I DON’T CARE HOW MANY BOARD MEMBERS GOT THEIR CARS AT COST! Forty years of coaching should count for more than that!

(Haley stops at the doorway. He hangs up the phone and looks up.)

HALEY: (Sighs and walks in.) Hey, coach.

WHITEY: Well, well, Avril Lavigne. What can I do for you?

HALEY: I… wanted to talk to you about Nathan. I’m not exactly his favourite person right now.

(Whitey searches for something.)

WHITEY: And you’d like for me to talk to him?

HALEY: I was hoping. He really listens to you.

WHITEY: Listen, girly, I’m a basketball coach, not Dr. Phil. I don’t have time for anybody else’s problems right now. I got plenty of my own.

(Haley understands and waves him off.)

HALEY: I-I understand.

WHITEY: Besides that, I should be happy that my star player’s focussing on the game rather than on his love life.

(Haley looks at him sadly.)

WHITEY: (Finishes writing something down.) We got a championship to win this year. (Passes her a pink slip.) Here.

(Haley reaches for it immediately.)

HALEY: What’s this?

WHITEY: Called a detention slip.

HALEY: (Annoyed) Detention for what?!

WHITEY: Last time I checked, this was the boys’ locker room.

(He nods once and Haley gapes at him.)

WHITEY: Now take it and go.

(Haley walks out, open-mouthed and disbelieving.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DINING AREA – DAY]

(Karen and Larry are sitting at one of the tables, talking and drinking coffee.)

KAREN: So, how’s, uh,… everything going with Peyton and Ellie?

(Larry shakes his head.)

LARRY: I don’t know. I told Ellie to stay away. (Pause) But… a part of me thinks it might be a good idea for those two to talk.

(Karen nods.)

KAREN: How much do you know about her?

LARRY: Not much really. We met her when she was pregnant with Peyton, looking for an adoptive couple, she chose us.

KAREN: What about Peyton’s father? (Correcting herself.) Uh-biological father.

LARRY: Well, we asked about him but she would never talk about him. (She smiles.) I don’t know, Karen,… half the time I’m floating in the Atlantic trying to keep a roof over our heads and Peyton’s scratching her way through adolescence – alone.

KAREN: Peyton knows that you love her, Larry.

LARRY: I know she does. (Sits back.) I just don’t wanna see her hurt again.

KAREN: You know, I don’t-I don’t know Ellie. I don’t know her intentions… but this may be the one opportunity that Peyton has to find out.

(Larry just stares at her.)

KAREN: (Smiling) I know you wanna protect her but maybe what she needs protection from is regret.

(Larry nods slowly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – DETENTION – DAY]

(Haley walks into the classroom and sees Whitey standing there, waiting.)

HALEY: (Walks in holding the slip.) Coach Durham, if I said something to upset you earlier, I’m really sorry.

(He takes the slip and puts it on the table.)

WHITEY: Take your seat.

(Haley sighs and walks to a desk just as Nathan enters the classroom. He sees her and sighs.)

NATHAN: What’re you doing here?

(Haley turns and sees him.)

WHITEY: She’s got detention, just like you.

NATHAN: What, are we the only two people that got in trouble today?

(A guy walks to the door with earphones in his ears and holding a half eaten bagel. He holds his slip out. Whitey takes it and shoves him back to the door.)

WHITEY: Get lost, kid. (Pushes him out of the door.) You’re pardoned.

(Nathan shakes his head and takes his seat, not near Haley. Whitey shuts the door. Haley looks at Nathan as he avoids eye contact and stares straight ahead.)

WHITEY: Today, we’re gonna allow talking. I believe you two have some catching up to do.

(Whitey winks at Haley and she gets it. She smiles her gratitude.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Pan across the school bus before stopping at Haley and Lucas who are walking back into school.)

LUCAS: So, how’d detention go?

HALEY: Oh, it was exactly what it was supposed to be: punishment. Nathan looked at me exactly once when my stomach growled funny and then stared at the clock for the rest of the hour.

LUCAS: Well, gave you time to work on those prediction though, right?

HALEY: Are you kidding me? The way this year’s going, I predict I’m gonna get my GED.

LUCAS: (Sighs) I’ll see you at lunch. (He veers off in another direction.)

HALEY: Alright. (Pats him as he leaves.)

(Haley walks past the same bunch of girls. They look at her again and laugh. One of them turns and calls out to Haley.)

SUE: Excuse me! Um, aren’t you Kelly Clarkson?

(Haley stops, keeping her back to them. They laugh.)

SUE: (Under her breath.) Bitch!

(Haley turns back around, irritated.)

HALEY: You wanna try saying that to my face?

SUE: (Stands) You like to sing about stars? Maybe you’d like to see some. (Pushes Haley hard.)

(Haley stumbles back before moving forward and pushing her back.)

HALEY: I have never done ANYTHING to you!

(Whitey intervenes quickly.)

WHITEY: Hey, hey, hey, break it up! (Forcefully separates them.) Break it up now!

(Sue grins and she and her friends leave. Whitey looks at Haley.)

WHITEY: I’m not gonna have any catfights on my watch.

(Haley breathes harshly and watches them.)

WHITEY: Fighting in school – that’s a detention.

HALEY: (Outraged) Coach, she started it!

WHITEY: Talking back to a teacher – (Nods) that’s two.

HALEY: (Closes her eyes.) Whitey, I really appreciate it but I don’t think it’s gonna work.

WHITEY: Calling me Whitey… is three.

HALEY: (Depressed) OK, I think two’s enough.

WHITEY: I’m serious about that third one. I’ll see you in detention.

(Haley sighs and grumbles harshly before stomping off to the school.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – DETENTION – DAY]

(Haley is sitting in detention, resting on her schoolbag and staring off into nothing. The camera zooms out to show Nathan there too. He has his books out. He looks over at Haley.)

NATHAN: (Laughs to himself.) Did you really, uh,… knock out Sue Garvey’s front tooth?

(Haley looks up at him, surprised he’s talking to her.)

HALEY: Wh-what? Where did you hear that?

NATHAN: It’s all over school. (Grins)

HALEY: Great, add ‘bully’ to my resume now. (Groans and runs a hand through her hair.) You know, I’ve played for some tough crowds on the road… nothing compares to the hostility I feel walking down that hallway.

(Nathan nods.)

HALEY: What’d I even do to make those girls hate me anyway? They don’t even know me.

NATHAN: It’s high school. They don’t need a reason. Try missing the winning sh*t at a home game; you’ll feel hatred at a whole new level. (Smiles)

(Haley smiles back.)

HALEY: Yeah. I guess I never thought of it that way.

(Nathan turns back around. Haley wants to keep him talking to her.)

HALEY: Nathan-

NATHAN: I should get back to this. (Flips pages in his textbook.) I don’t have a tutor anymore.

(Haley’s happiness disappears again and she sighs before leaning on her bag and resuming her position.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – BACKYARD – DAY]

(Dan is playing basketball by himself. Nathan shuts his car door and walks to him.)

NATHAN: Let me guess – mom’s not home; she doesn’t know you’re here.

DAN: Well, technically, we haven’t divided our assets yet.

NATHAN: Well, technically, hanging around the house when your wife’s kicked you to the curb makes you a loser.

DAN: Well, I guess you’d know, right? (Smirks before turning back to the hoop.) Come on, get suited up. We’ll play one-on-one. Where you been, anyway?

NATHAN: (Squinting as Dan scores a basket.) I had detention.

DAN: Nathan, you can’t afford to be a discipline case. This stuff gets back to the scouts-

NATHAN: No, it wasn’t like that. Whitey’s just… playing games with me and Haley.

DAN: (Nods) Whitey, huh? Well you won’t have to worry about him much longer.

NATHAN: (Looks up at him.) What does that mean?

DAN: I’m looking out for you, son. (Smirks) I’m going before the school board tonight, we’re gonna get you a real coach.

(Nathan looks on, distracted. He’s not happy with the news.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – FRONT DOOR – DAY]

(Peyton and Lucas enter her house.)

LUCAS: I’m only saying, maybe I was wrong about Ellie.

(Peyton gives him a look.)

LUCAS: Who knows what I saw? I mean, it could have been any number of things.

PEYTON: What, cr*ck, speed, maybe she’s huffing model aeroplane glue.

(Lucas sighs.)

LUCAS: That’s not what I mean(!)

PEYTON: Lucas, I confronted her about it – she didn’t deny it.

LUCAS: There could be some explanation.

PEYTON: There’s always an explanation with her. It’s called lying!

(They walk up the stairs on their way to her bedroom.)

PEYTON: Why are you on the Ellie train all of a sudden anyway?

LUCAS: (Seriously) I’m not. I’m just saying, maybe you should give her a chance.

(Peyton sighs and continues up the stairs. She opens her bedroom door and stops suddenly.)

LARRY: Hey.

(Larry is leaning on her desk and Ellie is looking through Peyton’s sketches on her bed. Larry straightens when he sees Peyton.)

ELLIE: Hi, Peyton.

PEYTON: (Shocked) What’re you doing here?

LARRY: I invited her. I-I thought, maybe we could all… talk.

ELLIE: (About the sketches.) I had no idea how gifted you were.

(Peyton ignores her and looks at Lucas.)

PEYTON: (Betrayed) You set me up(!)

LUCAS: (Just as confused.) No, I-

LARRY: Hey-hey, Peyton, wait-wait, listen.

PEYTON: NO, YOU LISTEN! THIS IS MY WORLD, OK? That’s my music, (Grabs the pictures out of Ellie’s hands.) this is my art.

(Larry tries to stop her but she backs away.)

PEYTON: Art that has everything to do with mom(!) My real mom, OK? (Crying) I can’t believe you’d do this to me(!)

(Larry can’t find the words. Ellie looks on uncomfortably. Peyton turns back to Lucas.)

PEYTON: Did you know about this?!

LUCAS: Wh-

LARRY: Peyton.

PEYTON: No, jus-just stay out of my life, OK?! (Pause) All of you!

(Leaves them in her room as she exits in tears. Ellie doesn’t say a word.)

LARRY: (More to himself.) It’s my fault.

(Lucas looks at them, feeling sympathy for Peyton.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – BATHROOM – DAY]

(Haley stomps out of the bathroom with an arm full of clothes and dumps them onto the bed. She turns around and heads back the way she came.)

BROOKE: (Appearing) Good news(!) Our money troubles are over. I am a working girl.

HALEY: Is that legal?

BROOKE: I am now the newest employee at Suburban Filth. It’s a clothing store.

HALEY: (Walks out of the bathroom with more clothes.) Suburban filth, that’s… perfect.

(Brooke makes the catty noise and finger motions she did with Peyton.)

HALEY: What’ve you got there?

BROOKE: (Holding up scrunchies.) These, my dear roommate, are hair scrunchies, Circe 1995, and they are what’s going to make this little living arrangement bearable.

HALEY: (Hands on hips.) Brooke, I know you never liked my hair, but it’s just-

BROOKE: No, well… true, but… no. When either of us has a boy over, (Hold up the red, yellow and black scrunchies.) these scrunchies will be our first line of defence. Observe. (Walks to a door.) Red scrunchy, (Puts it over the door handle.) means occupied; some serious action going on in here. The yellow scrunchy means; we’re just making out but one or more of us may be topless.

HALEY: (Closes her eyes.) And the black one?

BROOKE: (Smiling) Hmmm, you’re gonna have to leave the apartment.

HALEY: (Grabbing more clothes.) Well, I’m not sure I can handle thinking of you and Lucas hooking up in the same room where I’m sleeping.

BROOKE: (Crossing her arms.) Lucas and/or others.

HALEY: Brooke, it’s, uh,… it’s a really good… system, um, but I-I just really don’t think I’m gonna be needing any scrunchies any time soon, so…

(Walks forward sadly.)

BROOKE: Oh, no, no, roommate, come here. (Hugs her.) Come on. (Forcefully puts Haley’s arms around her shoulders.) Nathan’s gonna come around. He just needs to know you’re here for the long-haul.

(She’s talking about herself as much as Nathan. She looks at the board depicting how she spent her summer vacation. The camera cuts to a close-up of her and Lucas kissing on the beach. She rubs Haley’s back and lets her go.)

BROOKE: You know, (Pause) sometimes people play hard to get because they need to know… the other person’s feelings are real.

(Haley looks at her, tears running down her cheeks. She wipes them off.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – BACK – DAY]

(Karen is putting CDs back into their holders. She walks to the counter and the front door opens. Nathan enters the café.)

KAREN: (Looks to the doorway.) Oh, Nathan. It’s been a long time.

NATHAN: Yeah. Have you seen Lucas?

KAREN: Oh, not for a few hours.

NATHAN: OK, thanks. (Turns and walks to the exit.)

KAREN: Nathan!

(He stops at the doorway and turns back around.)

KAREN: Haley came back.

NATHAN: (Quietly) Yeah.

(Karen walks closer to him.)

KAREN: Do you, uh, do you remember that day on the Rivercourt? When you told me that you would give anything to have her home?

NATHAN: Yeah. Yeah, you told me to have faith.

KAREN: (Nods) Yeah, well, faith is believing when there’s nothing else you can do.

(Nathan smiles and nods.)

KAREN: She’s here now. (Pause) What’re you gonna do about it?

NATHAN: Haley’s here. I just… don’t know if the guy she left is ever gonna come back. (He smiles and shrugs before walking away.) Oh, and, uh, if you see Lucas, tell him he might wanna come to the school board meeting tonight.

KAREN: School board?

NATHAN: Yeah, my dad’s trying to get Whitey fired. And, uh,… we both know he usually gets what he wants. (Shrugs again.)

(Karen frowns as Nathan leaves.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL – THE ROAD – DAY]

(Birds-eye view of the crossroads as Peyton sits on the bench at one corner - watching the empty road. The camera pans up to the traffic light as it switches from green to amber to red. Peyton stares at it, thinking. She looks to the side and sees her father approaching. She doesn’t move as he takes a seat beside her.)

LARRY: I thought you might be here.

(There’s a pause and Peyton sits uncomfortably.)

LARRY: Ever since your mom d*ed I’ve been… guessing a lot. Sometimes I guess wrong. I shouldn’t have… brought Ellie into your room without asking you. (Pause) But, she didn’t have anything to do with it. Neither did Lucas.

(Peyton pauses before caving.)

PEYTON: Sometimes you guess right.

(Larry looks at her.)

PEYTON: You guessed where to find me.

(She smiles weakly and Larry puts an arm around her. He kisses her on the head as she looks down sadly.)

LARRY: This has all been a lot to take.

(Peyton nods.)

LARRY: I want you to know you can always talk to me.

PEYTON: But sometimes I can’t, dad.

LARRY: Yeah, I get that. (Pause) If you’re not always comfortable talking with me, maybe we should find you someone.

PEYTON: Like a shrink?

LARRY: Well, it might help you to get some of this out.

(Peyton thinks as she puts her head back on her dad’s shoulder. He kisses her on the forehead again. Cut back to the traffic light as it switches from amber to red.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – BOARD MEETING – EVENING]

(A lot of students are gathered outside the hall where the board meeting which will decide Whitey’s fate is being held.)

MOUTH: (Back on his Dictaphone.) Just beyond these doors, Coach Durham’s fate is being decided as we speak. The tension is palpable.

(Lucas looks at him as he approaches.)

MOUTH: The only audible sounds are the heartbeats of this Ravens team, b*ating in unison for its beloved coach.

(Lucas looks at him with his eyebrows drawn.)

MOUTH: (Angry) My heart would be b*ating too but it’s been ripped out and stomped on by one Erica Marsh(!)

LUCAS: (o.s) Mouth!

(Mouth turns to him.)

LUCAS: You got a second?

(Mouth nods and sits beside him.)

LUCAS: (Shaking his head.) Look, I know what you’re going through, man, but at a certain point, you gotta stop wearing your heart on your sleeve.

(Mouth looks at him and then looks away.)

LUCAS: (Looks at his shirt.) In fact, your whole shirt’s getting a little ripe.

MOUTH: That’s easy for you to say, Luke. (Pause) You get your heart broken, there’s a dozen girls waiting to put it back together. (Lucas sighs.) It doesn’t work like that for me. You know, and even if it did, I don’t want it to. (Pause) I just want Erica back.

(Lucas nods understandingly. Mouth gets up and walks away.)

DAN: (v.o) To the school board,-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – HALL – EVENING]

(Dan stands in front of the school board and addresses the teachers and mayor.)

DAN: -concerned parents, Mr. Mayor. I think coach Durham’s record speaks for itself. (Pause) He’s never won a state title. In fact, the closest he ever came were those years where myself and my sons were on the team. And let’s face it – Whitey’s running out of my DNA.

(He grins and the people in the seats laugh. Whitey looks around, annoyed.)

DAN: This is Nathan’s final year at Tree Hill – and a lot of the other boys too. (Pause) We may not have another chance like this for decades. (Looks at Whitey.) Now, I love Whitey. (Pause) He’s an institution in this town… but this is bigger than just one man. This is about civic pride. This is about driving into Tree Hill in the middle of the night… and seeing your headlight splash that sign: ‘Welcome to Tree hill, home of the Ravens: North Carolina State Basketball Champions’.

(He looks at the directors and grins widely.)

DAN: Gives me chills just thinking about it.

(The Mayor nods.)

DAN: Now, our kids deserve to have that feeling too. Hell, so does all of Tree Hill. Now, if we make the change, by replacing Coach Durham, we can get there - this year. (Smiles) I honestly believe that. (Pause as he grins annoyingly.) Thank you.

(Dan walks off the podium. The Mayor leans forward.)

MAYOR: Well, thank you Mr. Scott. (Coughs) Time to call this to a vote.

KAREN: (Stands up from behind.) I would like to say something.

(She looks at Dan in exasperation.)

DAN: Uh, Mayor Mullins, Miss. Roe’s not a member of the school board.

(Karen walks to the front, ignoring him.)

DAN: As a matter of fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her at a meeting before. I object.

MAYOR: Well, this is not a court of law, Dan. We go by my rules. (Pause) Sit down.

(Dan doesn’t argue, even though he wants to. He sits.)

MAYOR: Please go ahead, Ms. Roe.

KAREN: (Steps up to the podium.) Thank you. Most of you know me – I am Lucas Scott’s mom, I run a café down town and Lucas joined the Ravens last year. What you don’t know is that I was against it. Whitey knew that but he recruited him anyway. (Pause) Um,… I was against it for good reason; because I have seen what this game can turn people in to.

(Dan shifts slightly and looks at his watch.)

KAREN: And I was worried that that would happen to my son… what I didn’t realise… is how what Whitey teaches these boys goes beyond the simple game. (Pause) I have seen his influence in my own son beyond the X’s and the O’s. And so have all the other parents in this room. Our boys are becoming men (Smiles) and I cannot put that into statistics. It may not translate into championships… but if you put too much focus on those things,… in the end, all you’re gonna end up with is a sad bunch of boys who never learn to leave the game (Looks pointedly at Dan.) behind.

(Dan doesn’t respond to the silent jibe.)

KAREN: Unlike Dan Scott, I don’t believe that our sons deserve anything. You get what you earn… (Turns to look at Whitey.) but Coach Durham, he deserves better.

(Whitey smiles.)

KAREN: He’s already earned it.

(Karen turns around and walks away from the podium. She shakes Whitey’s hand as she passes him.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – BOARD MEETING – EVENING]

(Lucas walks up to Nathan who is sitting on a bench, waiting.)

LUCAS: So, my mom told me you came looking me.

NATHAN: Oh, it wasn’t ‘bout you. (Looks away indifferently.) Just wanted to make sure everyone knew about Whitey.

LUCAS: So you do care about something besides basketball.

NATHAN: Whitey gets me touches. He knows it’s my team. Pretty soon the scouts will too.

LUCAS: Your team, huh?

(Nathan nods.)

LUCAS: Yeah, I guess we’ll see about that when we get back on the court, won’t we?

(Lucas pats him on the arm and walks off, shaking his head. He stops at Peyton.)

LUCAS: Hey.

PEYTON: Hi.

LUCAS: Listen, about earlier, I-I’m sorry, I didn’t know that she-

PEYTON: I know. (Smiles) My dad told me you weren’t on the grassing hole.

(Lucas smiles and looks down.)

PEYTON: Luke, I’m sorry. You’re actually one of the few people that’s been honest with me through this whole thing.

LUCAS: So, what’re you doing after this?

(Peyton starts to answer but the door of the hall opens and cuts her reply short. Everyone looks sideways and sees Whitey lead everyone out. There is nothing but a rumbling murmur from the students. The team wait for the verdict. Lucas and Peyton turn expectantly.)

WHITEY: (Not smiling.) Bad news, gentlemen.

(Lucas looks at Whitey, gloomily.)

WHITEY: (Smiles) You’re stuck with me.

(Everyone cheers and claps. Nathan smiles. Lucas walks up to Whitey and hugs him. Karen watches them with a smile. Dan walks up behind her but stops. Karen looks back and he walks away. She smiles triumphantly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE GYM – EVENING]

(Lucas and Peyton walk into the deserted gym.)

PEYTON: Been a while since we’ve been in here, huh?

LUCAS: I’m in here every night. (Pause) In my mind, anyway.

PEYTON: (Knowingly) You’re playing the sh*t you missed. The sh*t that ended our season; the sh*t you probably made, what, like a thousand times. (Grins)

LUCAS: (Holds his hands up.) OK. (Sighs and walks a few steps away from her.)

PEYTON: So, whaddaya have to tell me?

LUCAS: How’d you know?

PEYTON: Well, I figured you either brought me in here to talk, to make out, or to k*ll me. And since we’re not gonna make out… I guess its talk or die, right?

(Lucas smiles.)

PEYTON: Is it bad?

LUCAS: Yeah.

PEYTON: Let me guess, I’ve got three moms. (Smiles and looks down.)

LUCAS: Ellie was buying marijuana… but not for the reasons you think. She’s sick. (Pause) She has cancer, Peyton.

PEYTON: She told you that?

(Lucas nods.)

PEYTON: Come on, Luke, that’s just another one of her lies.

LUCAS: I don’t think so. (Pause) I think she was afraid that if you knew the truth… you’d feel obligated, or some way. You know, then it would change things between you for the wrong reasons.

PEYTON: Kinda like… your little secret about Dan and the fire.

(Lucas smiles.)

DAN: (o.s) And what little secret is that?

(Peyton’s smile drops and she turns around. Dan is standing there.)

DAN: Sorry to interrupt your little melodrama but Lucas and I have unfinished business.

(Peyton gapes and takes a few steps back.)

LUCAS: Peyton, you should go.

PEYTON: (b*at) Yeah, we’ll both go.

(Peyton drags him away but Dan follows.)

DAN: Bit Oedipal, don’t you think? Trying to k*ll daddy.

(He stops in front of them, halting their departure.)

DAN: Someone should tell mom she’s in for some action.

LUCAS: You don’t know what happened that night.

CUT TO FLASHBACK:

(Dan’s eyes are open as he lies on the floor of his burning dealership and someone moves around outside of his office.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

LUCAS: (Harshly) You can’t remember and it’s k*lling you(!)

(He walks forward and Dan stops him. He puts his hand around Lucas’ neck.)

DAN: Enlighten me!

LUCAS: Let go!

(Peyton moves between them and tries to prise his fingers off.)

PEYTON: (Tugging at Dan’s arm.) Leave him alone.

DAN: (Looks at Peyton.) This is a family matter. You’d understand that if you had one.

(Dan puts his hand on her head and shoves her away hard. Lucas looks at him.)

LUCAS: You son of a bitch! (Punches him hard.)

(Dan goes down for a moment. He straightens and laughs.)

DAN: My record on this court’s a little better than yours, Lucas.

(Lucas tries to hit him again but Dan blocks him.)

LUCAS: Don’t, ah-

(Dan grabs him by the throat again, a lot harder than before. Lucas struggles to breathe under the pressure.)

DAN: YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD TRY TO k*ll ME!?

PEYTON: (Comes up behind Lucas, panicked.) STOP IT!

DAN: You think you could get away with this?

(Lucas’ mouth is wide open, trying to get some air.)

PEYTON: LET GO! (Hits him but to no avail.)

DAN: There are easier ways to k*ll a man, Lucas.

PEYTON: (Still struggling to separate them.) HE WASN’T TRYING TO k*ll YOU!

DAN: LIKE CHOKING! (Squeezes harder.)

PEYTON: (In his face.) HE SAVED YOUR LIFE!

(Dan looks at Peyton but doesn’t ease the pressure. Lucas continues to choke as Dan thinks. He looks back at Lucas.)

CUT TO FLASHBACK:

(Dan lies on the floor as Lucas stands there, shielding himself from the flames.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

(Lucas continues to choke as Dan remembers. Finally he lets go and Lucas falls to the floor. Peyton rushes to him to see if he’s alright. Lucas coughs, trying to get air back into his lungs.)

PEYTON: (Urgently to Lucas.) Lucas, please, you have to tell him.

(He continues to struggle and Dan stands there waiting, eyes wide.)

LUCAS: (Harshly) I was there(!) (Breathes hard.) But not to k*ll you!

FADE TO FLASHBACK;

(sh*t of the flames before we see the doorway from Dan’s point of view. We see legs as someone rushes in. Dan opens his eyes wider and we see Lucas’ shocked face. He holds his arms up against the flames. Dan’s back is on fire.)

(Lucas takes his hoody off and starts to b*at at the flames on Dan’s back with it. They keep growing and the office burns more but Lucas keeps at it. Finally, they’re out and he pulls Dan out of the dealership.)

(At that moment, the window in Dan’s office explodes as the office is completely destroyed. Lucas pulls Dan a safe distance away and checks his pulse.)

(He sees the note that Dan’s still holding. He takes it and reads the message, realising that the fire was deliberate. Lucas cowers as the fire explodes again but looks at the road when he hears sirens. He stands and Dan stirs, opening his eyes.)

(Dan’s view of Lucas is blurry.)

LUCAS: (v.o) (Voice distorted.) I saved your life… but I should have let you burn(!)

(Lucas turns and runs away - note still in his hand.)

(Dan’s head drops back to the floor as consciousness gives out.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

CUT TO:

(Dan looks around, dazed, as he remembers. Lucas is now sitting up, looking at his father coldly. Breathing is still an issue.)

DAN: Well, a stronger man would have.

(Lucas squints at him.)

DAN: This’ll be our secret, Lucas. (Looks at Peyton.) And that goes for you too, Miss. Sawyer.

(Peyton’s eyes jerk and she looks at him equally as coldly. Dan’s breathing is hard and Lucas’ head drops. Dan shakes his head but leaves without apologising. Peyton doesn’t dare move until he’s gone.)

PEYTON: (Moves closer to Lucas.) Luke, I’m sorry. I had to tell him.

LUCAS: It’s alright, I know.

PEYTON: Are you OK?

(Lucas closes his eyes weakly.)

LUCAS: That’s my father. What do you think? (Looks up at her.)

(Peyton sits back and they both look off sadly.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – NATHAN’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan stands above his boxes and takes out a heart shaped bottle filled with sand that was on the beach the day he and Haley got married. He looks at it. On the bottle, it reads: ‘Our Wedding Day’. With little flowers painted on it.)

CUT TO FLASHBACK:

[EXT. THE BEACH – DAY]

(Nathan puts the wedding ring on Haley’s finger as they get married and she smiles.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

FLASH TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – NATHAN’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan is looking down, thinking.)

DAN: (o.s) If I were you, I’d keep those boxes packed.

(Nathan looks sideways and sees Dan standing in the doorway.)

NATHAN: (Sighs) What’re you still doing here?

DAN: You mean other than paying the bills? (Smiles)

(Nathan sighs again.)

NATHAN: It’s over, dad. Let it go.

(Dan nods and looks down.)

DAN: Can’t blame a guy for trying to hold on, can you?

(Nathan looks back down at the bottle. Dan walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – FORNT DOOR – EVENING]

(Lucas opens the door and enters the apartment.)

LUCAS: I hear this place is open all night.

(Haley is sitting on the couch with glasses on and a pen in her mouth. She’s looking through some papers.)

HALEY: (Laughs) You heard right.

(Lucas shuts the door.)

BROOKE: (On the phone.) OK, thanks. (Hangs up.)

(Lucas sits on the couch next to Haley.)

BROOKE: And, now that I have a new job, we eat too. (Stands) Pizza’s on the way. I’m gonna change, you guys hang.

(She walks away.)

HALEY: What happened to you?

LUCAS: Oh, (Examines his shirt.) this pick-up game got a little rough. (Looks at her.) What’re you doing?

HALEY: Eurgh, (Takes her glasses off.) I’m just… looking through this list of predictions of dreams and wishes I made over the years. You know, I really think that maybe, back then, I was a better person

LUCAS: You’re the same person you’ve always been. That’s not a list of who you are, it’s a list of… who you’re gonna be. That’s still up to you.

HALEY: Yeah, well,… whatever I want to happen this year, I’m gonna just predict the opposite coz life always has a way of figuring out how to surprise you.

(Lucas smiles and shakes his head. There’s a knock on the door.)

HALEY: (More to herself.) That’s fast.

(She sets the papers aside and stands up to answer the door, expecting a pizza delivery.)

HALEY: You pitching in, you mooch?

(Lucas looks at her in amusement. She opens the door, smiling. Nathan’s standing there. The smile dies.)

HALEY: (Surprised) H-hey(!)

NATHAN: Nice place. (Smiles) Can I talk to you?

HALEY: (Shrugs) Yeah.

(Cut back to Lucas who watches them silently.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL – THE STREETS – EVENING]

(Nathan and Haley walk through town slowly and silently.)

HALEY: (Sighs and breaks the silence.) I’m glad it’s you that stopped by. Living with Brooke, you never know who’s gonna come in for a late night booty call.

NATHAN: (Uncomfortably) Look, um,… I’ve been doing some thinking about us. (Pause) About what we’re gonna do, and, um,… I still have the annulment papers but-

(Haley looks away sadly and Nathan talks quickly.)

NATHAN: -if we get an annulment; that means that our marriage never happened. That’d be a lie. I mean, we had a lotta great times together, Haley. I don’t wanna pretend like we didn’t.

HALEY: (Looking up at him.) Neither do I.

(Nathan sighs.)

NATHAN: So, instead of an annulment, I’ve looked into a divorce.

(He keeps his eyes away from Haley and on the ground. Haley stops as he continues walking. He pauses a few steps ahead of her and looks back.)

NATHAN: The state says we have to be separated for a year.

HALEY: What- (Tries to find the words.) Uh,… what’re you saying?

(She’s struggling to get her head around it.)

NATHAN: I’m saying that I (Long pause.) think we should see what happens between now and then.

HALEY: (Walks forward.) Nathan, I love you.

(He looks down.)

HALEY: I know that we can work this out, and a year from now, things will be good for us again.

NATHAN: Maybe… and maybe not. (Pause) I guess we’ll just have to see.

(Haley shakes her head disbelievingly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas is sitting on the couch. He finishes his drink. Brooke is sitting opposite him, watching him.)

LUCAS: (Puts the glass down.) I should probably go.

BROOKE: What, you’re just gonna eat Haley’s half of the pizza and then run?

(Lucas looks down and laughs.)

BROOKE: Let’s be optimistic. Nathan and Haley have a lot of problems; they’ll probably be out all night. (Smiles) And you know I hate to sleep alone.

(Lucas groans, torn between want and need. He stands.)

LUCAS: I would love to spend the night, Brooke.

BROOKE: (Smiling) Yeah?

LUCAS: Yeah. (Pause) As soon as we’re exclusive.

BROOKE: Oh, you’re good. But, before you go, (Stands) did I mention that one of the perks (Unties her bathrobe.) of my new job is that I get to take home the free samples?

(She unfolds the bathrobe and shows off a yellow t-shirt with matching yellow underwear. Lucas looks at her. Brooke looks at him knowingly.)

LUCAS: (Struggling) You’re better. (Smiles) Much better.

BROOKE: So, are we staying yet?

LUCAS: (Steps closer.) Are we exclusive yet?

(She doesn’t answer and Lucas lowers his head to her neck. She smiles triumphantly.)

LUCAS: (In her ear.) Game on, Brooke Davis.

(Brooke gapes as Lucas turns and exits the apartment without a backward glance.)

(The camera pans back to Brooke who still can’t believe it.)

BROOKE: Well that’s a first.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Whitey finishes his own drink and Mouth knocks on the door. Whitey turns and looks at him.)

WHITEY: Mouth McFadden – news man extraordinaire. What’re you doing out so late?

MOUTH: Well, I was hoping I could get a statement about your first win of the season. (Smiles)

(Whitey smiles and gets off his desk.)

WHITEY: I’ll go you one better than that. I’ll give you an exclusive. (Sits in his chair.)

(Mouth grins and eagerly walks into the room, sitting opposite Whitey. He holds his Dictaphone out.)

WHITEY: This’ll be my final season. (Pause) The end of this year – win or lose – I’m retiring.

MOUTH: (Speechless.) But… why?

WHITEY: That’s it. (Holds a hand up.) That’s your scoop. Oh, and do me a favour - (Mouth turns the Dictaphone off.) keep it under wraps until… after the first game.

(He smiles and turns his chair to the side so that he’s looking at Camilla’s picture. Mouth sighs and walks to the door.)

MOUTH: (Turning back.) Hey, Coach? Um,… could I ask you one more question?

(Whitey watches him.)

MOUTH: Off the record.

(Whitey nods.)

MOUTH: How do you… deal with losing someone you love?

(Whitey gathers himself for a b*at before pointing to the door.)

WHITEY: Shut the door, son. Pull up a chair.

(Mouth closes the door carefully. sh*t of them through the window as Mouth resumes his seat opposite Whitey.)

FADE TO:

[INT. KARENS CAFÉ – DINING AREA – EVENING]

(Lucas is sitting in the empty café with a pen and a pad. He’s writing his new prediction for the coming school year. He writes: ‘This year… I will try again with-’. The camera cuts back to his face as he continues to write. He looks up.)

WIPE TO:

[EXT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

(Haley is seen through the curtained window of her apartment. Her glasses are back on and she is writing.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote: ‘All are architects of fate…

(sh*t cuts inside the room as Haley concentrates on the page and her predictions.)

LUCAS: (v.o) so look not mournfully into the past. It comes not back again.’

(Haley has written: ‘Nathan and I will be together again’. She looks to the side.)

(The camera cuts back outside and pans right.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – THE ROOF – EVENING]

(Lucas and Haley stand together as he puts the lid back onto the green tin box. Haley smiles as he puts it back into the hole and replaces the brick that she hands him.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton is leaning on her bed.)

PEYTON: My dad said I should talk to someone… so I’m talking to you.

(She holds up a microphone.)

PEYTON: All of you. (Pause) Where do I begin? Um,… well, I guess, until a few day ago, I thought… my mom was my mom (Cut to the computer screen where her speech is being recorded.) and my dad was my dad.

(Fade to Peyton as she continues talking but the sound’s muted.)

WIPE TO:

[EXT. DAVIS SCOTT RESIDENCE – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke is seen through the bedroom window.)

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT RESIDENCE – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Cut inside to a envelope on Brooke’s bed. It’s addressed to Lucas. She turns it around and slips a folded piece of paper in and turns it back around. She caps the pen and opens a small compartment at the foot of her bed. Inside is a shoebox full of letters addressed to him, all with different coloured envelopes and different sizes. She puts the letter in the middle and continues flipping past the envelopes.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE CAR – EVENING]

(Dan is sitting in his car, thinking. Blue lights flash on the vehicle behind him.)

(Someone walks across the path to his car – it’s a cop. He hands Dan an envelope. There’s a cold look in Dan’s eyes as he nods his thanks. He looks at it as the cop walks away and he gives it a little flick.)

FADE TO:

(It’s a new day and students are milling around the corridors as usual. Haley walks in, moving aside for a rude guy who shoulders her as he passes. She pauses and looks back for a b*at before looking forward. Sue is there again, whispering to her friends about Haley and avidly looking at her.)

(Haley stands there, not moving, just watching them. Nathan walks up behind her and stops when he sees what she’s so distracted by. Sue and her friends pause when they see who Haley’s with.)

NATHAN: (Kindly) Come on, we’re late for class.

(Nathan smiles and walks forward. Haley gives a weak smile and walks beside him. They walk past Sue. The camera cuts behind to a close-up of Nathan putting his hand on her lower back and guiding her down the corridor. She looks at him and smiles.)

END