03x05 - A Multitude of Casualties

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x05 - A Multitude of Casualties

Post by bunniefuu »

FADE IN:

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[INT. HOTEL – ROOM 751 – DAY]

(The door opens and Dan walks in with a video camera, recording. Mayor Mullins is on the bed with two hookers.)

DAN: Well, well, well. Mayor Mullins.

(The Mayor sits up, dazed.)

DAN: (Shuts the camcorder’s screen.) You drop your bid for re-election. You’re gonna endorse me for Mayor.

(He grins cockily.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. THE HOTEL – ELLIE’S ROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton and Ellie are standing at the door.)

PEYTON: Look, I… I don’t wanna be curious about you but I can’t help it – I am.

ELLIE: Well, selfishly, I’m glad that’s one battle you’re losing.

PEYTON: I’m just scared.

CUT TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – BACK YARD – DAY]

(Brooke is standing in front of Nathan, asking him to go to the costume party.)

BROOKE: Haley’s really hurting, Nathan. She hasn’t written a song since you guys split up.

(Nathan looks down.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THIRD AND LONG – DINING AREA – EVENING]

(Chris is sitting in front of Nathan.)

CHRIS: So, what can Chris Keller do for you?

NATHAN: He can help Haley with her music.

(Chris raises his eyebrows.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TRIC – HALLOWEEN MASQUERADE – EVENING]

(Rachel interrupts Lucas and Brooke’s conversation.)

RACHEL: (To Lucas.) You wanna dance?

(She looks at Brooke.)

RACHEL: Unless you’re seeing someone.

(Brooke raises her eyebrows at him. Daring him to say it.)

LUCAS: (Turning to Rachel.) No,… not exclusively.

(Camera cuts to Rachel and Lucas dancing. Peyton stand with Brooke in the sidelines, watching them with a grin. Brooke looks on, annoyed.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – EVENING]

(Dan stands in front of a dark background and smiles, his eyes gleaming.)

DAN: (Into a mic.) IS EVERYBODY READY…

(The crowd cheers crazily.)

DAN: FOR MIDNIGHT MADNESS?!

(A trumpet sounds, people continue to cheer and Dan stands in the middle of the gym, grinning and trying to feel important.)

DAN: THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT! The countdown to the start of the season is on! Let me hear ya!

(He holds up his hand and counts down from five, on his fingers.)

DAN/CROWD: FIVE… FOUR… THREE… TWO… ONE.

(The crowd continues to cheer.)

DAN: LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!

(He holds up the hand with the mic. Smoke fills the gym as the cheerleaders walk onto it. They start with some well practices moves.)

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan stands at the head of the team. Lucas is right behind him and he doesn’t look happy.)

LUCAS: So are you gonna tell me what’s going on with Haley?

(Nathan looks back at him coldly.)

LUCAS: You’re breaking her heart, and you know that.

NATHAN: (Turns all the way around.) Lucas, this is a pep rally – where’s your pep?

(Lucas glares at him.)

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – THE GYM – EVENING]

(The cheers continue. Peyton’s with the squad, cheering along but clearly distracted.)

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

LUCAS: (Angrily) She’s your wife! You treat her like this, manipulating her; pushing her back to Chris!

NATHAN: Alright, you need to back up. (Steps forward.) Now(!)

LUCAS: Really? Is that an order? (Flicks him on the shoulder.) Captain.

NATHAN: Don’t push me, bitch(!)

LUCAS: Why? You gonna do something about it? You’re a coward.

(The whole team have stopped to watch the altercation.)

LUCAS: You love Haley… but instead of dealing with it… you avoid her; treat her like dirt. (Smirks and looks away for a b*at.) God, I used to wonder why you did it, and then I realised something (Pause) - you’re just… like… Dan(!)

(That does it. Nathan grabs the front of Lucas’ shirt, swings back and punches him in the face. Lucas punches him back and the entire team decide to get involved. There’s a scrum as they are all pushed forward in a confusing mass of limbs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – THE GYM – EVENING]

(Dan is still at the mic.)

DAN: Now, the team that’s gonna deliver us our state title (Points) your Tree Hill Ravens!

(Half the crowd stand, applauding.)

(Nathan’s back breaks through the paper covering the entrance to the gym, Lucas follows immediately. They are still fighting, throwing punch after punch and the crowd still loves it. It’s difficult to decide what’s happening.)

(Dan, like the true father he is, stands by and watches them, indecently amused by the show. Whitey isn’t as pleased by the display. He walks to Dan.)

WHITEY: Damn your sperm, Danny.

(Dan finds that amusing too as he continues to watch. The team seem to be enjoying the fight. Mouth is commentating.)

MOUTH: Lucas Scott throws a roundhouse to Nathan Scott’s jaw. It’s just past twelve and all hell’s broken loose! (Laughs) Now this is truly Midnight Madness! Whoo

(Birds-eye view of the scuffle.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE GROUNDS – DAY]

TWO DAYS EARLIER

(The students are milling around as usual. Mouth walks down, handing out flyers.)

MOUTH: Announcer tryouts for the season. (Gives a flyer to a passing student.) First official practice – midnight, Friday.

(He gives it to a boy who looks at it.)

BOY: Whatever(!) (Throws it aside.)

(Mouth looks at him, scandalised, and stoops to pick it up. He staples it up on the notice board. The camera zooms in and then pans past it.)

HALEY: (Walking up to Nathan.) Hey, I was hoping I’d catch you.

NATHAN: Why’s that?

HALEY: Um,… I don’t know, I think we should talk.

NATHAN: About what?

HALEY: (Stumped) About what happened the other night at the masquerade ball.

NATHAN: I can’t, Whitey wants to see me before class. But… it wasn’t that big of a deal, anyway.

HALEY: (Looking at him.) It was to me.

NATHAN: It was a nice moment, Haley, but it’s over now.

(Haley gapes.)

NATHAN: I gotta go.

(Nathan walks away and Haley stops walking, watching him. She sighs, completely confused.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE STAGE – EVENING]

(Brooke and Peyton sit behind a table.)

BROOKE: You know what hit me today? These are our last cheerleader tryouts ever.

PEYTON: (Sarcastically) Yeah, I’m really broken up about it.

BROOKE: Come on, how can you not love tryout day? Just the smell of it(!) Like sports bras and desperation.

PEYTON: (Slightly put off.) Hm, speaking of desperate; how’s life in the ‘non-exclusive’ dating world?

BROOKE: Lucas isn’t playing fair.

PEYTON: Maybe he’s not playing at all.

BROOKE: Exactly, I mean,… unless you count him dancing with that slut (Payton looks away and laughs.) at the masquerade ball, he’s been totally monogamous. He knows the rules. Why can’t he just follow them?

PEYTON: Brooke, when’re you gonna quit this crap and accept the fact that a really great guys wants to be with you?

(Brooke shrugs.)

PEYTON: Nothing good can come of this, OK? What’re you gonna do; force Lucas to go out and see other people.

(Brooke considers and loves the idea.)

BROOKE: P. Sawyer, you are a genius.

PEYTON: OK, that is not what I meant.

GIRL: (o.s) Um,…

(Peyton and Brooke look out at the girl who spoke. There are a long line of girls behind her.)

GIRL: is this where we go for cheer tryouts?

BROOKE: What tipped you off?

(Cut to a long sh*t. There’s a banner hanging above Brooke and Peyton’s table which reads: TH Ravens Cheerleader tryouts today: Be one of the team.)

(The girls start their tryouts.)

GIRL: (Dully) Go Ravens(!) (Claps once.)

GIRL2: (Waves a streamer above her head.) We got spirit(!)

(Close-up of a guy’s lightsaber. He’s dressed in black. He does some moves that are definitely not cheers, with it. Brooke watches him uncertainly. Peyton doesn’t know whether to laugh or scowl.)

GIRL4: (Claps her hands and holds them out.) Yeah, go team! (Camera focuses on her hairy armpit.) Whooo!

(Peyton and Brooke gape when they see it. Brooke is slightly too amused.)

GIRL5: (Claps twice.) Lets… go… Ravens. (Holds both arms up. She’s wearing some strange, white, face paint and makes a weird face.)

(Brooke looks at her, confused.)

GIRL2: What, what, what, what – A what-what-what-what-what-what-wh

(Cut back to the guy with a lightsaber. He does some more moves with it.)

GUY: Going, going, it’s gone.

(Close-up of a girl crying. She’s lost for words.)

(Cut back to the guy with his lightsaber. He drops it, picks it up again and resumes.)

GIRL6: T.H.S. is number one, (Holds her arm up.) Yo, go! (Does some decent cheer moves.)

(Brooke is slightly impressed.)

GIRL6: T.H.S. is number one.

(Brooke shrugs at Peyton, Peyton smiles.)

GIRL6: (Holds arms out.) Big blue! (Tries to stick her leg up as far as it will go and sprains herself.) Ow! (She goes down.)

(Peyton gapes and puts a hand to her mouth. Brooke leans forward to see.)

GIRL6: Oh my god. Oh my god, I’m fine. Seriously, I’m fine, but… does this mean I didn’t get it? (Sticks her hand in her hair.)

(Brooke is speechless.)

PEYTON: (To Brooke.) What part of this are we gonna miss again?

BROOKE: One spot on the team and there’s no one to fill it? Those like… dance auditions are for crap, the musical.

(Peyton laughs. Someone runs down the stairs and stops in front of them. Peyton and Brooke look up. It’s Rachel with a minimum of clothing on. A redheaded Rachel.)

RACHEL: (Holding a CD.) Sorry, am I too late? I got lost. This… new campus is totally confusing. (Smiles)

(Brooke instantly recognises her and an eyebrow goes up.)

RACHEL: I’m Rachel, by the way.

BROOKE: Really? I thought it was Pamela.

RACHEL: (Getting it.) Oh, right. The party. That guy wasn’t your boyfriend, was he?

(Peyton looks at Brooke with a big grin.)

BROOKE: OK, you were late, now you’re just wasting my time. (Coldly) Just hit your mark and I’ll start the song.

RACHEAL: (Holds up her CD.) I actually bought my own song.

(She walks to the stereo, opens the lid and put her own CD in. Brooke looks at her, astonished. Rachel sets the jewel case aside and waits.)

RACHEL: Whenever you’re ready. (Makes a set face.)

(Brooke presses play and the music starts. Rachel starts to dance to it, using the table for a moment. Brooke and Peyton look up in shock. She continues to audition. Her moves are more like the dance moves she used with Lucas than actual cheers but they are a lot better than the people who auditioned.)

(Brooke makes a repulsed face at Peyton and Peyton laughs silently. Brooke puts a hand to her mouth, not knowing what to say. Peyton’s impressed and the look she gives Brooke shows that.)

(Rachel jumps, spreads her legs and falls to the floor. Peyton and Brooke look over the table to see what she did. She’s at near splits on the floor. Brooke gapes and holds a hand up, mostly repulsed by the vulgarity.)

(Rachel gets back up and smiles.)

RACHEL: I’d like to thank you on behalf of myself and the group… and I hope we pass the audition.

BROOKE: (Lost) I’m sorry, what?(!)

PEYTON: John Lennon. (Brooke looks at her.) The ‘Let It Be’ album.

(Brooke looks at her exasperatedly.)

PEYTON: Girl knows her music.

(Rachel smiles and nods.)

BROOKE: Too bad she was late.

(Rachel’s smile falls.)

BROOKE: Sorry, Betty, was it? We’ll (Waves) be in touch.

RACHEL: (Unperturbed) It’s Rachel (Coldly) and I hope so.

(Brooke doesn’t say anything as Rachel turns and walks out, leaving her CD behind.)

PEYTON: So, I guess we found our girl, right?

BROOKE: (Pissed) oh, you just like her coz of that stupid BeeGees thing.

PEYTON: No, I like her because she’s good.

(Brooke glares at Peyton, crosses her arms and continues to look ahead.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Close-up of a board. Whitey’s writing on it in red pen. It has squiggly lines all over it but it’s an unmistakable plan of the basketball court.)

NATHAN: (o.s) You wanted to see me, Coach?

(Whitey looks to the left.)

WHITEY: Nathan, good timing.

(Whitey caps the pen and steps back from the board.)

WHITEY: (Points to the board.) Look at this; triangle offence. It all runs through you.

(Nathan smiles and nods.)

NATHAN: I’m ready, Coach.

WHITEY: (Smiles and nods.) I know you are. (Pause) You know, it might not come as a surprise but, um,… (Lifts Nathan’s basketball uniform.) I’m making it official. (Throws the jersey at him.) I’m making you captain of this years squad.

(Nathan catches it and looks down at the top.)

NATHAN: I don’t know what to say.

WHITEY: There’s nothing to say. You’ve earned it.

NATHAN: (Nods) Well, in that case, I promise to do whatever I can to get you that championship.

WHITEY: (Laughs) Nathan, I appreciate that but if we get that far, that trophy belongs to the team, it’s not mine. Team unity.

(He pats Nathan on the arm.)

WHITEY: That’s the captain’s responsibility.

(Whitey walks away. Nathan lifts the jersey and looks at the ‘C’ stitched to the top right hand corner on the front of it.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Lucas and Brooke are walking together.)

BROOKE: So I’ve been thinking about our whole ‘non-exclusive’ thing and about how you haven’t been holding up your end of the bargain.

LUCAS: (Stops drinking from his bottle.) I didn’t know it was a requirement.

BROOKE: Lucas, in order for this to work, there has to be a balance. I kiss a guy, you kiss a girl. I kiss two guys…

LUCAS: I kiss you twice.

BROOKE: You kiss someone else. (Pause) Which is why I’m gonna pick a girl for you. (Camera pans across the grounds full of girls.) Say somebody like… (Camera stops at a group of three girls.) her. OK? Go ask her out.

(Lucas looks at the girls uncertainly. Rachel moves into the sh*t.)

LUCAS: Really? You want me to ask her out?

BROOKE: Yeah.

LUCAS: You’re sure?

BROOKE: I’m sure. (Points back without looking.) She’s the one.

(Brooke looks back and sees that she’s pointing at Rachel. The three girls have vanished. Rachel talks to some girls. She looks and sees Brooke gaping at her.)

LUCAS: OK. (Laughing) If you insist.

(Rachel smiles and Brooke smirks back.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. RECORD STORE – CD’S – DAY]

(Haley is looking through CD’s in the store and flips through the ‘K’s’. The first CD there is Chris Keller’s. She pulls it out. The album is called ‘Keller Instinct’. She looks at it, distracted for a moment.)

(Chris suddenly appears at her side and snatches the CD from her. She gasps and looks at him.)

CHRIS: (Holding the CD up.) Want that autographed?

HALEY: God(!)

CHRIS: I knew you’d be happy to see me.

(She can’t find the words and is practically shying away from him.)

CHRIS: (Moves around her.) So,… how’s married life?

HALEY: (Looks down for a b*at.) What’re you doing here, Chris?

CHRIS: Truthfully, I was thinking… you and me should work together again.

HALEY: (Astonished) Huh, are you kidding me?

CHRIS: Come on, you know Chris Keller do-

(Haley gives him a look and he shuts up.)

CHRIS: Sorry. Haley, you and I made great music together. (Pause) Remember?

HALEY: Yeah! I remember exactly what happened. Do you?

CHRIS: Yeah, so things weren’t always easy but if you just set that other crap aside-

HALEY: That other ‘crap’ was my marriage, Chris.

CHRIS: Details, Haley. (She looks at him reproachfully.) Come on. Me and you. Just music. (Pause) Whaddaya say?

(Haley watches him wearily.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE RIVERCOURT – DUSK]

(Close-up of the basketball hoop. The ball falls through it. Pan down to Nathan who catches the ball.)

NATHAN: (Looks at the ball and walks away from the hoop.) She said no?

(Nathan looks left. Chris is on the benches, lounging across them.)

CHRIS: Among other things.

(Nathan sighs and continues walking.)

CHRIS: The girl has a real potty-mouth when she wants to.

NATHAN: So you just gave up? I mean, you didn’t so easily last time.

CHRIS: (Sits up.) Whoa, whoa, that’s unfair.

(Nathan scoffs and looks away.)

CHRIS: And entirely correct. Listen, you know I don’t like to get in the middle of other people’s relationships.

(Nathan just looks at him, not even bothering to grace that with an answer.)

CHRIS: But, Haley wants you man, I don’t get it, why is it so important to you that she and I work together?

NATHAN: (Bounces the ball.) I have my reasons. (Throws the ball at the basket again.)

(Chris laughs and gets up.)

CHRIS: And you wanna share it with me?

(Nathan sighs, catches the ball and turns back.)

NATHAN: Haley’s music was a big part of her life. Without it, she’s just not Haley.

CHRIS: So what, she gets her music back, you get her back.

NATHAN: No, it’s not about that. (Pause) This is about Haley.

CHRIS: Well, it doesn’t matter anyway. She’s not gonna go for it.

NATHAN: (Shrugs) We’ll see about that.

(Chris laughs.)

CHRIS: Whatever you say.

(Nathan eyes him.)

CHRIS: So, we make a pretty good team; you and me.

NATHAN: (Disbelievingly) Team? You and me?

CHRIS: What? (Leans forward.) You don’t think I got game? (Scoffs) Come on. (Steps back, asking for the ball.) Come on.

(Nathan grins, amused, and throws the ball to him. Chris catches it and does some weak dribbles between his legs. He throw the ball at the hoop and it goes long, completely missing it.)

CHRIS: Awww(!) (Holds his arms out.) How d’ya know I wasn’t aiming there?

(Continues walking.)

CHRIS: See ya partner.

(Chris grins and flounces away.)

(Nathan looks at him before walking forward to retrieve his ball.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. KAREN’S CAFÉ (EST) – DAY]

KAREN: (v.o) He’s running for Mayor?!

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – EVENING]

(Karen takes a dish out of the fridge and slams it shut.)

KAREN: The conniving skunk(!)

(Deb is in the back. Karen walks to her.)

KAREN: Do you realise the amount of control the Mayor has? Police department, the zoning commission… not to mention veto power over city council.

(Deb looks on, unhappy.)

DEB: I was going to tell you, Karen. (Sighs) To be honest, when Dan first brought it up, I thought he was joking.

(Karen looks up at Deb before continuing to chop carrots.)

DEB: I mean, he’s running unopposed.

KAREN: Well, then we’re gonna have to find somebody who can b*at him.

(Deb nods.)

DEB: You know, I’d love to help but… (Shakes her head.) my hands are tied. I made a deal with the devil that I’d stand by his side through this election.

(She frowns and looks at Karen unhappily.)

KAREN: (Shakes her head astonished.) In exchange for what?

DEB: A divorce. (Pause) Freedom for Nathan; for me… trust me, it was an offer too good to refuse.

KAREN: Sure.

DEB: You know,… I can still make things… difficult for him.

(Deb grins. Karen looks at her. Deb’s grin gets wider.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – DUSK]

(Dan is standing in front of a board with many different pictures of him running for Mayor.)

DAN: The billboards look great. The TV ads… air next week.

(He’s talking to three people sitting on the sofa.)

DAN: (Pause) And thanks to a well-timed donation… the high school’s generously agreed… to officially retire my jersey this Friday night at ‘Midnight Madness’. (Grins) Which brings me to my platform.

(He backs up until he’s standing in front of a whiteboard.)

DAN: (Points at the board.) ‘Family First’.

(Cut to the floor of the entrance. Legs appear in black stockings. The camera pans up.)

DAN: (o.s) A return to traditional values.

(The camera continues to pan up until Deb is shown in her lingerie.)

DAN: (o.s) Safer streets, better schools.

(Deb is holding a glass in one hand and leans on the doorframe, peering into the room.)

DAN: (o.s) Neighbourhood watch programmes.

(One of the men looks at the doorway, sees Deb and his eyes widen. She grins at the three of them; all pretences of being drunk are in place.)

DAN: (o.s) A new and improved mass transit system. Parents as role models…

(He sees that the people he’s talking to are looking elsewhere and he turns to look for himself. He sees his wife.)

DEB: (Drunkenly) I’m so sorry, Dan. I-I didn’t know we had company. Umm, (Turns to the side.) can you see my ass through this?

(She laughs and looks down.)

(A man looks to the side to see if he can.)

DAN: (Forcefully patient.) Deb, honey, it’s a little early to be drinking, don’t you think?

DEB: Oh, come on, (To the people.) it’s noon somewhere, right?

(The woman gapes at Deb.)

DEB: (Drunkenly) Cheers.

(Deb turns around and walks back out. Dan blinks and turns back around, trying to salvage to situation.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Rachel is there, sitting behind Bevin. Some of the other cheerleaders stand around her.)

RACHEL: OK, we’re done. (Holds a mirror in front of Bevin’s face.) Do you see how the tendrils frame her face?

(A girls beside Rachel nods.)

BEVIN: Oh my god, I look so hot. (Touches her hair and gapes.) Thanks, Rach. (Looks back at her.) God, you rock.

(Rachel smiles and hugs her.)

RACHEL: No, Bev, you rock.

(They laugh. Rachel looks up and sees Lucas. She gets up and walks to him.)

RACHEL: Hey, boyfriend.

LUCAS: (Stops and turns.) Hey.

RACHEL: We still on for tonight?

LUCAS: (Uncomfortably) Yeah, about that. (Pause) Here’s the thing… when I asked you out, it was just to make Brooke jealous.

(Rachel sighs and looks away.)

RACHEL: I see. So, um, basically… you just took advantage of the new girl. Dude, that’s just wrong.

LUCAS: I’m sorry.

RACHEL: Lucky for you, I’m into wrong. (Gives him a folded piece of paper.) My address.

(He looks down and takes it slowly.)

RACHEL: Pick me up at eight.

(She turns and starts to walk away but sees Brooke off to the side. She rethinks, walks back to Lucas and pulls his head down by the neck. She kisses him on the neck.)

RACHEL: (Grinning) Yummy.

(She really leaves this time. Lucas frowns and looks at Brooke. Brooke breaks eye contact and walks to her cheerleaders.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVERCOURT – BENCHES – DAY]

(The whole Ravens team are on the bleachers. Nathan stands in front of them.)

NATHAN: Tomorrow’s ‘Midnight Madness’… so practice doesn’t officially start till then. That doesn’t mean we can’t get a head start.

TIM: (Puts a hand to his head in salute.) Aye aye, Captain!

(Lucas frowns and shakes his head.)

NATHAN: (Pause) So, today, we’re gonna run full court… for thirty.

(Tim puts his hand up.)

TIM: Uh,… Captain Scott?

NATHAN: It’s just Nathan, Tim.

TIM: Captain Nathan, has it occurred to you to appoint a vice Captain in the event that you’re… assassinated or smash up another race car?

NATHAN: (Amused) No. (Pause) Alright, I’ve already split up the teams; you guys know who you are. Everybody else just rotate in, alright?

LUCAS: Yeah, about that, I noticed you’ve got both centers. How bout we take… Aero?

NATHAN: That’s a great idea, Lucas. Maybe when you’re Captain, we can try that.

(Tim laughs.)

NATHAN: In fact, why don’t you just go ahead and sit this one out, alright?

(Lucas frowns at him again.)

LUCAS: You’re kidding.

NATHAN: No. I’m Captain, and if you can’t handle that, you can leave.

(Lucas just looks at him, daring Nathan to try and remove him.)

NATHAN: Feday, you’re in. Let’s go.

(The entire team gets up, leaving Lucas alone on the bleachers on the Rivercourt that he used to play on before the team invaded. Lucas looks down and shakes his head. As the team disperse onto the Rivercourt, Lucas stands and walks away.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE STAGE – EVENING]

(Mouth sits on the stage – where Brooke and Peyton where when holding tryouts. He looks at his watch. There’s nobody there to tryout for the announcer place for the Ravens. He sighs and writes something down on the clipboard. A girl walks in, uncertainly.)

GIRL: Did I miss the tryouts?

MOUTH: Um,… everyone missed the tryouts. (Nods)

(She walks forward, smiling.)

MOUTH: Why, are you interested?

GIRL: Uh-huh.

MOUTH: OK, what’s your name?

GIRL: Gigi.

MOUTH: OK, Gigi, do you have any prior experience announcing basketball?

(She sighs and shakes her head.)

MOUTH: I see, so you’re… just a big fan of the game.

(She smiles and nods.)

MOUTH: (His smile falls.) Gigi, you do realise this is a job where you talk?

(Gigi stays silent but nods.)

MOUTH: About basketball.

(Gigi nods again.)

(Mouth smiles dispiritedly.)

MOUTH: I’ll be in touch.

(Gigi smiles and leaves. Mouth looks back down at his clipboard and sighs.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE RIVER WALK – COFFEE STAND – DAY]

(Peyton is at the mobile coffee stand, buying a coffee.)

PEYTON: (Giving the money.) There you go. (Taking her drink.) Thank you.

(Peyton turns and walks forward.)

ELLIE: (o.s) You too, huh?

(Peyton looks up and sees Ellie walking to her with the same drink.)

ELLIE: Don’t freak, I’m pretty sure tastes in coffee drinks isn’t hereditary.

(Peyton laughs slightly.)

ELLIE: I was hoping I’d run into you. (Pause) I mean, considering you’ve been lurking outside of my motel room.

PEYTON: Uh,… yeah, I’m really sorry about that. Um-

ELLIE: It’s OK. I would have come out and offered you a soda-

(Peyton laughs.)

ELLIE: But the last thing I wanna do is complicate your life.

PEYTON: (Stiffly) Well, I probably better go-

ELLIE: You know, there’s this lunchtime concert; this guy doing ‘scar’ covers of Neil Diamond songs.

PEYTON: Ooo, that sounds… awful(!)

(Ellie laughs.)

ELLIE: Yeah, I thought so too. So you wanna check it out?

(Peyton thinks.)

PEYTON: Yeah. (Nods)

(Ellie nods and they walk off-screen together.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE MOTEL – ELLIE’S ROOM – DAY]

(Peyton and Ellie walks into the room, laughing.)

PEYTON: OK, so wait, you’re saying that you were actually conceived at Woodstock?

ELLIE: Well, that’s what my parents say, but their math’s a little off. They were pretty big hippies, though.

(Peyton smiles at her.)

ELLIE: Got a picture of the somewhere. (Turns away and looks for it.)

(Peyton drops her bag onto the chair and leans on the table. She looks to the side and sees an article. Close-up of it before the camera pans across the title. It’s called ‘Hello, Goodbye’. Beneath the title is ‘By Ellie Harp, illustration by author’. Peyton picks it up and looks at it. The subheading says: ‘Seventeen years ago, I made a decision that nearly k*lled me’. Peyton frowns as she reads it.)

ELLIE: (Returning) Bear in mind, this was taken a while ago but-

(She stops when she sees what Peyton’s holding.)

ELLIE: (Sighs) oh, god(!)

PEYTON: What the hell is this?

ELLIE: It’s an article I wrote.

PEYTON: (Angrily) For what, Lying Bitch Monthly?!

ELLIE: PEYTON!

PEYTON: You said you wanted to get to know me! You said that there wasn’t any article!

ELLIE: There wasn’t… at the time.

PEYTON: You also said that you don’t draw, but really,… Ellie, (Points at the picture.) this looks a hell of a lot like me! (Slams the article back onto the table.)

ELLIE: Of you would just listen I can explain.

PEYTON: (Smiles tightly and grabs her bag.) You know what, don’t bother. In fact, I’ve got a headline for you article; it’s called ‘Go to Hell’!

(She slams the door behind her.)

(Ellie sighs.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERICAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Haley has the Math book open at trigonometry and is doing her work. The front door opens, admitting Brooke.)

BROOKE: I just had a great idea!

HALEY: Does it involve trigonometry?

BROOKE: I don’t know what that is so I doubt it. (Sits on the couch.) You are gonna be a cheerleader(!) (Sits back and waits for Haley to be overjoyed.)

(Haley pauses for a minute before dropping her hand and looking at Brooke exasperatedly.)

HALEY: What?!

BROOKE: (Delighted) I know, it’s sudden, right? But, I was thinking, you did such a great job filling in at last years tournament that why not do the same thing this year, only permanently.

HALEY: (Annoyed) Thanks, but I’ll pass.

BROOKE: (Frowning) Come on. You’re my roommate. You’re supposed to have my back. That Rachel girl, she’s stealing my life. She’s dating Lucas, which… OK, I accidentally orchestrated, but my entire squad has a girl-crush on her!

(Haley looks at her steadily.)

BROOKE: Basically, if you do not cheer, I’m screwed(!)

HALEY: Brooke, I have a lot going on in my life right now. Nathan’s being all hot and cold and now with Chris back in town-

(She stops as something clicks.)

HALEY: (Realising) Oh my god.

BROOKE: What?

HALEY: Oh, that’s totally it. (Sits up.) That’s exactly why Nathan’s acting so weird – he knows Chris is back in town and he thinks I had something to do with it.

BROOKE: (Gasps mockingly.) Oh. Yeah, great, we’ve solved your riddle. Can we please get back to mine!? Gimme an ‘H’!

HALEY: I can’t!

BROOKE: You can, and besides, I thought your goal was to be with Nathan. You’d be with him all the time; pep rallies, and away games-

HALEY: I know, I-I get it. I just… I think that if I join the cheerleading squad, Nathan would see it as some, like, pathetic attempt to get close to him.

BROOKE: That’s funny. It seems to me like worrying about what Nathan thinks is pathetic is actually pretty pathetic. Forget about Nathan. Why don’t you do what you want for once?

HALEY: (Smiling) OK, I will – no thanks!

BROOKE: (Scowling) Let me rephrase that; why don’t you just do what I want for once?

(Haley laughs.)

BROOKE: Come on(!)

(Haley throws her arms up and still shakes her head.)

BROOKE: Fine(!) (Schemes) Oh, did I mention that Nathan’s very often shirtless at practice?

(Haley looks at her in growing annoyance.)

BROOKE: You know, hot, sweaty and… bulging in all the right places. (Smiles)

(Haley remains expressionless.)

BROOKE: All the girls notice. (Shrugs) OK, see ya. (Gets off the couch.)

(Haley whacks her on the arse with her pillow.)

BROOKE: Ah! (Gapes and leaves the apartment.)

(Healy sits there, thinking. She shakes her head and sighs.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. SAWYER RESIDENCE (EST) – DAY]

(The camera pans slowly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – DAY]

(Peyton sketches the word ‘LIE’ onto a piece of paper with a black pen. There’s a ring at the door. Peyton looks up, knowing who it is.)

(She walks to the front door and opens it. Ellie is standing there.)

PEYTON: You don’t give up, do you?

ELLIE: (Talking quickly) Peyton, I had to explain. I couldn’t leave things like that.

(Peyton waits.)

ELLIE: (Holds out the article.) Maybe if you’d just read the article.

(Peyton looks at it.)

PEYTON: Fine. Come in, I’ve got something for you.

(Ellie walks into the house, shutting the door behind her.)

(They walk into Peyton’s bedroom.)

ELLIE: I’m a writer, Peyton. It’s a big part of my life… but I never meant to hurt you and the fact that you even think that-

(Peyton picks up her sketch.)

PEYTON: You wanna know what I think?

(Ellie stops talking.)

PEYTON: I think you’re just a lying junkie who probably doesn’t even have cancer.

(Ellie is visibly hurt. She can’t respond so instead, she looks at what Peyton’s holding. Peyton waits for a b*at before walking forward and giving it to her. She’s spelled out ‘ELLIE’. The ‘LIE’ in ‘Ellie’ is highlighted.)

ELLIE: (Looking at her.) Oh, I see. So this relationship… that we have if-if you can call it that… you can use it for your podcasts and your drawings but I can’t write about it.

(Peyton frowns at her. She knows that Ellie’s right.)

PEYTON: (Harshly) Just get out, Ellie(!) (Pause) Out of my house, out of my town… and out of my life.

ELLIE: (Waits to absorb the words before nodding.) OK. (Pause) I will.

(Peyton nods.)

ELLIE: But know this, Peyton; (She puts a folder on Peyton’s bed.) Your trust… (Shakes her head.) was always more important to me than any article. You may not believe that… (She rips the article in two.) but it’s the truth.

(She turns around and dumps the article into the bin before walking out.)

(Peyton turns around and looks out of the window as the front door closes.)

FADE TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – BATHROOM – DAY]

(Deb is standing in front of the sink, brushing her teeth. Dan walks in with a Polaroid camera and takes a picture of her. Deb looks at him.)

DEB: (Mouth full of toothpaste.) Damn it, Dan! (Spits out in the sink.) What’re you doing?

DAN: (Walks forward.) Oh, in the spirit of your little fashion show earlier, I decided to take up photography.

(Deb shakes her head.)

DAN: I call this exhibit – ‘Deb’s Toothbrush’.

(She sighs and looks at him.)

DAN: Let’s see… here’s me (Flips the picture over.) arm rolling the tyres. (It’s a picture of him cleaning the wheel rim with her toothbrush.)

(He throws it aside.)

DAN: (Holds up another one.) Scrubbing the toilet. (He’s scrubbing the inside of the toilet.)

(Deb holds a towel to her mouth.)

(Dan holds up another one.)

DAN: The neighbour’s dog.

(The toothbrush is in the dog’s mouth. Deb coughs into the towel. He looks at the last one and smiles fondly.)

DAN: Oh, and my favourite,… here’s your toothbrush up the dog’s-

(Deb coughs violently and turns to the sink, retching. Dan sniffs the picture.)

DAN: Ooo.

(Deb continues to cough into the sink while Dan smiles and walks out of the bathroom.)

CUT TO:

[INT. THE MALL – SHOPPING AREA – DAY]

(Lucas is walking with Rachel.)

RACHEL: So,… basically, the plan is to parade me around in front of Brooke, rubbing her nose in the fact that you’re out with an extremely hot girl who isn’t her?

LUCAS: Yeah, pretty much.

RACHEL: Cool. Just show me where she works.

(Lucas points into the window of ‘Suburban Filth’. Brooke is inside, a big grin in place as she finishes dressing a mannequin. She sees them and her smile drops.)

RACHEL: Oh, (Smiles and takes his arm.) perfect timing.

(Brooke glowers at her.)

LUCAS: (Looking around.) Uh, you think its working?

(Brooke stomps away.)

RACHEL: Oh yeah,… but we can do better.

(She grabs his hand and pulls him towards the shop.)

LUCAS: Whoa, I… think this is a bad idea(!)

(They enter the shop.)

BROOKE: (Stiffly) Welcome to Suburban Filth, can I help you?

(Lucas is extremely uncomfortable.)

RACHEL: Yes, we’re looking for some lingerie; something lacy, (Grins at Lucas.) open cup,… possibly edible.

(Brooke smirks and scoffs at Lucas.)

LUCAS: OK, joke’s over, Rachel, lets go.

BROOKE: You know, I think you’re in the wrong store – you’re looking for Slut Barn, downstairs. (Smirks at Rachel.)

(Rachel looks right and walks over to a stand.)

RACHEL: These’ll do.

(Brooke looks at Lucas who has nothing to say.)

RACHEL: Oh, and I need a pair for my sister. She’s kinda chubby… you know, your size.

(Brooke moves forward but Lucas sticks his shoulder in the way… holding her back.)

BROOKE: Either you take her out that door or I’m gonna put her through the window.

LUCAS: OK, look, I’m sorry. I messed up (Brooke glares at him.) but you’re the one who told me to see other-

BROOKE: (Viciously) Now,… Lucas!

(Rachel smirks at Brooke. Lucas turns to her.)

LUCAS: Let’s go, Rachel.

RACHEL: Yeah, OK. Service here sucks donkeys, anyway.

(She grabs Lucas and pulls him out of the shop. Brooke watches them. Lucas looks back whilst being dragged off. Brooke shakes her head.)

FADE TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

(Haley is sitting on the couch, playing her guitar. There’s a knock at the door. Haley looks back before standing up to answer it. She takes the guitar and continues to play for a b*at. She sets it against the wall and opens the door. Nathan’s there.)

HALEY: (Smiling) Hey! I’m-I wasn’t expecting you. (Steps back.) Come on in.

NATHAN: (Walks in and shuts the door.) I can’t stay. I just, uh, there’s something I wanna talk to you about.

HALEY: Chris.

NATHAN: How’d you know?

HALEY: Please, all this weirdness between us, I just figured… Nathan, I-I didn’t know he was coming back into town. You have to believe me. I would never work with him again.

NATHAN: Actually, I think you should.

HALEY: (Astonished) You what?

NATHAN: (Shrugs) He’s good for your music, Haley… and that’s what you should be focussing on right now.

HALEY: Nathan, (Pause) working with Chris nearly k*lled our marriage! Do you remember how jealous you were?

NATHAN: Yeah, and that’s just it. (Pause) I told you I needed to be able to trust you again. (Smiles)

(Haley understands his test.)

NATHAN: This is your chance.

HALEY: So, this is like a test?(!)

NATHAN: You can call it what you want… but if you work with Chris and you end up having feelings for him again (Shrugs) I guess I’ll have my answer.

(Haley put her hands to her head in frustration.)

HALEY: That’s ridiculous! Nathan, that’s not fair!

NATHAN: Maybe not… but like I said… it’s your chance.

(He leaves and Haley sighs, bewildered and not at all happy.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. SAWYER RESIDENCE – PEYTON’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton walks up to the large oval mirror and looks into it. She’s wearing her cheerleading uniform – something she hasn’t worn in a long time; something Anna did that Ellie didn’t. The camera pans left and focuses out.)

FADE TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke sits in front of a mirror, a blue and white ‘R’ painted on her upper right cheek and she’s also in uniform. She’s combing her hair. Haley enters and Brooke sees her through the mirror. Haley stops and looks at the uniform laid out for her on the bed. All she has to do is wear it and cheer. It’s a mystery how Haley’ll know the moves in time.)

(Brooke smiles and walks to the exit, slapping Haley on the arse on her way out. Haley looks at it, torn.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GIRL’S LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Rachel turns left and right in the mirror, seeing how she looks in the uniform. She waits a b*at before taking her bloomers off. She grins at her reflection.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – EVENING]

(Dan has his campaign buttons spread out on a table, harassing people as they come along and forcing the buttons on them.)

DAN: (Shakes a guy’s hand.) Vote Dan Scott for Mayor. (Hands a button over.) Appreciate your vote.

DAN: (To a couple.) Vote for Dan Scott. Dan Scott for Mayor.

(The couple nod and walk away. He sees Nathan.)

DAN: Hey, Nathan?

(Nathan stops and looks back.)

DAN: Big night, huh?

NATHAN: Yeah. (Looks at the buttons and campaign.) I see you’ve managed to make it about yourself.

(Dan walks forward.)

DAN: Come on, son. Don’t be jealous. It’s unbecoming to a captain. (Pause) And frankly… it makes you look like a tool.

(He holds up a button to Nathan’s shirt. It says ‘I give a Dan’ on it. Nathan takes it and walks away. Dan smirks.)

KAREN: Nathan?

(Nathan stops and looks at her.)

KAREN: You OK?

(He’s holding the button.)

NATHAN: Yeah. My dad just ruins my life. Pretty soon he’ll be Mayor and he can ruin everybody else’s too. (Gives her the button.)

(Karen looks at it and scoffs. Nathan walks away. She shakes her head and looks at Dan, still handing out buttons like they’re candy.)

DAN: Here you go, Dan Scott for Mayor.

(Karen contemplates before walking away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GIRL’S LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Brooke is pacing and ranting to Peyton.)

BROOKE: We go on in ten minutes. Where is everybody?!

PEYTON: (Leaning against a locker.) Brooke, chill. They’re gonna be here.

(The squad come in, giggling and holding cups of coffee.)

BROOKE: Where the hell have you been? You almost missed the routine(!)

RACHEL: (Grinning) Sorry, Brooke. I treated the team to a little pre-show beverage. (Holds a cup out.) Bought you one.

BROOKE: (Snarkily) No, thanks.

BEVIN: Brooke, relax. It’s OK.

BROOKE: No, it is not OK.

(Bevin sits down.)

BROOKE: First of all, this is my squad! SECOND,… (She looks down and sees that Bevin isn’t wearing her bloomers.) Bevin, where are your cheer bloomers?

BEVIN: (Self-consciously) I’m trying something new. (Crosses her legs.)

BROOKE: OK, this squad is outta control and it is (Points at Rachel.) your fault!

(Haley sidles in, unsure.)

RACHEL: What’re you gonna do, fire me?

(Brooke scoffs.)

HALEY: (Holds a hand up.) Hi.

(Brooke turns, sees her roommate and looks as if Christmas has come early. Haley smiles tightly.)

PEYTON: Nice outfit.

(Haley can feel the hate emanating from Peyton.)

BROOKE: Well then, (Turns back to Rachel.) that’s it. Get out!

(Peyton loses her smile.)

RACHEL: (Laughs) You can’t be serious.

BROOKE: Oh, it’s real. Check your pompoms at the door.

(Rachel pauses before playing it up.)

RACHEL: Well, I don’t know what to say. But… if… that’s what everyone wants-

BEVIN: No!

OTHER GIRLS: No.

CHEERLEADER: Brooke, Rachel’s the best cheerleader we’ve got.

(Brooke looks at her, outraged.)

BROOKE: Wh-

BEVIN: If we want a sh*t at states, we need her.

(Rachel looks at Brooke cockily.)

BROOKE: Look, I make the rules and I say (Turns around.) Haley’s in! And, besides, the routine won’t even work with an extra person.

(They all look at each other. Haley looks like she very much wants to leave.)

RACHEL: Sure it will. (Turns to the girls.) Won’t it, girls?

GIRLS: Yeah.

RACHEL: (Dictating) I’ll be up front and… Haley, is it? (Walks to her.) Just… watch me for the changes.

(She grins and looks at the team.)

RACHEL: Come on, girls. Let’s go stretch.

(Brooke is beyond shocked at seeing her squad following someone they barely know. Peyton and Haley are the only ones left in the room, besides Brooke.)

BROOKE: OK, what the hell just happened!?

(Haley smiles sympathetically. Peyton doesn’t reply.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE GYM – EVENING]

(Mouth is sitting at the commentators table.)

MOUTH: Good evening ladies and gentlemen. Mouth McFadden, coming to you from the Tree Hill gym where in minutes, perhaps the most promising team in Ravens history will take the floor. (Pause) With me tonight is my new colour announcer; Gigi Silveri.

(Gigi is eating candy.)

MOUTH: Gigi, how would you describe the excitement here?

(She holds out a candy and grins. Mouth looks at it, looks at her and then looks out at the gym when the cheers start.)

MOUTH: OK, then. And Coach Whitey Durham is stepping into the center court.

(There’s clapping and Whitey stops in front of a covered easel.)

WHITEY: (Into a mic.) Welcome to ‘MIDNIGHT MADNESS’!

(The crowd cheers. Whitey laughs.)

WHITEY: Alright! I want to bring out the cheerleaders in a minute. But first, we’ve got some, uh, business we’ve got to tend to. (Pause) Twenty years ago, we had a player, one of the most talented I’ve ever coached. (Pause) Dan Scott scored a lot of points for this team… (Camera pans to him.) got a lot of rebounds. After that, he sold a lot of automobiles… and I’m sure, in the upcoming election, he’s gonna get a lot of votes – just not mine. (Whitey glares at Dan’s smirk.)

(The crowd laughs and Karen grins appreciatively.)

WHITEY: Dan, come up here.

(Dan stands and the cheers start up. He holds his hand up, acting as if he’s the king. He takes a mic and walks to the middle, shaking his head at Whitey. Whitey frowns his meanest.)

WHITEY: Now, I thought, some years ago, we’d retired this jersey, but… (Looks at Dan.) what the hell. (Looks at the easel.) Unveil the damn thing.

(Whitey shakes his head and walks off. The jersey’s unveiled with ‘Scott’ across the top and the number ‘33’ beneath it.)

(The crowd continues the incessant cheer.)

DAN: Whitey Durham, everybody. (Pause) Class act.

(Whitey holds his arm up and they cheer for him just as loudly. Dan looks down at his jersey.)

DAN: It’s an honour to be here tonight. Looking around this gym sure brings back a lot of memories.

(Whitey rolls his eyes, unable to believe anybody’s buying this.)

DAN: I played my heart out for those teams. And I plan to put forth that same effort… as your Mayor.

(Karen looks down.)

WHITEY: (To himself.) Lord, lord, where’s Lee Harvey Oswald when we need him?

DAN: (o.s) And since I’m running unopposed-

(Karen stands up.)

DAN: (o.s) -a vote for Dan Scott is not only the smart choice,

(Karen whispers in Whitey’s ear.)

DAN: -IT’S THE ONLY CHOICE! (Grins some more.)

(Some of the crowd cheer.)

DAN: Thank you.

(Karen finishes what she’s saying and Whitey’s face spreads with a triumphant grin. He walks back.)

WHITEY: Thank you, Danny. That was a fine speech. However, you made one small error. (Squares up to him.) I’ve just been told you’ll be running opposed after all. (Grins) Ladies and gentlemen, the candidate that I’m endorsing… Ms. Karen Roe. (Holds his arm out.)

(The light shines on her and she smiles. The crowd cheers loudly and it seems they don’t mind who they cheer for as long as they have something to cheer at.)

(Karen waves, Dan’s stunned and Whitey’s loving it. He walks back to Karen. Dan manages to recover enough to clap.)

(Someone’s thrown their pompom at Karen. She holds it as Whitey hugs her. Dan nods at her, accepting the challenge.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Dan stands in the middle with the mic.)

DAN: IS EVERYBODY READY?! (Crowd cheers.) FOR ‘MIDNIGHT MADNESS’! THAT’S WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT! THE COUNTDOWN TO THE START OF THE SEASON IS ON! LET ME HERE YA! (Holds up his hand and counts down on his fingers.)

DAN/CROWD: FIVE… FOUR… THREE… TWO… ONE!

DAN: LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!

(The music starts up and the cheerleaders walk onto the gym, through the smoke. They begin their well rehearsed cheer.)

MOUTH: Brooke Davis and the squad are already in mint season form.

(Gigi grins, having nothing to add.)

MOUTH: And the newest cheerleaders: Haley James-Scott and Rachel Getina.

(They cheer.)

RACHEL: Showtime(!)

(Rachel jumps in front of Brooke and blocks her way, cheering in front of the captain. Brooke refrains from punching her as she glares, but continues the moves.)

(Rachel turns and Brooke steps forward.)

BROOKE: Don’t push me, bitch!

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

(Nathan and Lucas are squaring off.)

NATHAN: Don’t push me, bitch(!)

LUCAS: Why, you gonna do something about it?

CUT TO:

RACHEL: (Nastily) I’m just getting started.

(Rachel turns and does a back flip, moving her legs. Brooke glares daggers at her as she does it again. Rachel does a jumping cartwheel.)

BROOKE: Cool it! This isn’t the pole dancing you do on weekends!

(Rachel glares and does another back flip.)

MOUTH: Well, the new girl sure has a lot of… (Searches) spirit.

(Gigi grins and nods… still silent.)

(Rachel kicks her leg up and Brooke shoves it back down. She spins, and does the splits in front of Brooke as the music ends. She puts her hand up and grins at the crowd. Brooke smiles stiffly and outlines the ‘Ravens’ on her top for the crowd.)

(Rachel stands up and faces Brooke.)

BROOKE: What is your problem! (Shoves her.)

RACHEL: (Shoves her back.) Say, you’re the one with the problem! You dance like a cr*pple. Nice splits though; you must have a lot of practice spreading your legs.

BROOKE: I also have a lot of practice making fists! You wanna see?

RACHEL: Brooke, you don’t scare me. I mean, it’s not like I’m a cookie or a donut.

(Brooke scoffs.)

DAN: Now, the team that’s gonna deliver us our state title-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

LUCAS: You’re just… like… Dan!

(Nathan grabs the front of his shirt and punches Lucas in the face.)

DAN: (v.o) The second best team in-

(Lucas swings back and punches Nathan. The team decide to get involved, making a scrum for the entrance.)

CUT TO:

DAN: Your Tree Hill Ravens.

(The crowd stand and cheer as Nathan breaks through the paper barrier, still fighting with Lucas. The rest of the team follow, also wanting a part in the fight. Lucas punches Nathan; the team jump both of them. They move around on the floor of the gym.)

(Dan watches them, amused. The cheerleaders watch the basketball players, confused.)

PEYTON: What happened?

BROOKE: Who knows? (Looks at Rachel.) Maybe someone was being a full on diva skank!

RACHEL: You’d know.

(Brooke slaps her. Rachel’s head snaps back and she grins.)

RACHEL: (Looking back) You just bought yourself a nose job. (Punches Brooke.)

(Peyton rushes Rachel and knocks her down. Dan is finding this highly amusing. Peyton is wrestling with Rachel. Bevin and a few other girls are trying to get to Rachel’s aid.)

BEVIN: Leave her alone!

(It’s a mad rush as the girls try to strangle each other and the guys try to choke each other. It’s a mess and it seems that people are trying to get in wherever they can.)

(Peyton continues to choke Rachel.)

MOUTH: Lucas Scott throws a roundhouse to Nathan Scott’s jaw!

(The camera pans to the girls fighting.)

MOUTH: And, over on the other side, Brooke Davis is choking the new girl! There’s a hair pull, oh, an eye gouge.

(Peyton kicks the mascot between the legs.)

MOUTH: (Extremely excited.) Oh, and there’s a painful sh*t to the groin! Now this is truly ‘Midnight Madness’! (Pause) Gigi, I don’t suppose you have anything to add.

GIGI: Actually, this-this kinda turns me on!

(Mouth looks at her, stony faced, and covers the mic… slightly too late. The camera pans across the cheerleaders and basketball players who are still going at it full throttle.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – EVENING]

(Nathan and Lucas are sitting in chairs opposite Whitey’s desk. He’s pacing around his office.)

WHITEY: NEVER-

(Both Nathan and Lucas jerk in surprise.)

WHITEY: -IN MY 47 YEARS OF COACHING, HAVE I BEEN SO EMBARRASSED BY MY PLAYERS!

(They both look down.)

WHITEY: (Leans on the desk and looks at Nathan closely.) What in the hell did I tell you about team unity?

NATHAN: (Pause) I’m sorry, Coach.

WHITEY: I oughta come over there and rip that captain’s patch off that jersey.

(Nathan and Lucas look down again.)

WHITEY: But I’m not gonna do it.

(He looks to the side and opens a drawer. He throws something at Lucas and shuts the drawer. Lucas looks up at him before looking down at what Whitey threw. It’s a captain’s badge.)

LUCAS: (Looks up.) I don’t get it.

WHITEY: I’m making you co-captains.

(Nathan looks at Lucas before looking away with a sigh.)

WHITEY: God knows neither one of you deserve it… but this is our last season… and you two are either gonna make this work or TEAR IT DOWN! (Pause) EITHER WAY, YOU’RE GONNA DO IT TOGETHER!

(They look down again, simultaneously. Close-up of the captain’s badge as Lucas holds it.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – LUCAS’S CAR – EVENING]

(Lucas is still looking at the badge. Rachel moves forward from the backseat, much like Brooke did two seasons ago.)

RACHEL: So, what’s the ‘C’ stand for? (Moves her hand down his front.) Coz if it’s chastity, I’m definitely in the wrong car.

(Lucas doesn’t move.)

RACHEL: It’s a crazy night, huh? I thought you might be up for a little more fun.

(Lucas struggles.)

LUCAS: Rachel, I told you before.

RACHEL: I get it, Lucas. You’re using me… and I’m OK with that. (Pause) As long as you let me use you back a little.

(She leans in to him but stops at the knock on the window. Brooke kneels down and raises her eyebrows. Rachel rolls the window down.)

BROOKE: Please, naked in the backseat is so last year it’s, like, two years ago.

(She stands and walks away. Lucas quickly opens the door and walks out.)

LUCAS: Brooke!

(Brooke stops and turns around.)

LUCAS: This isn’t what it looks like.

(Brooke puts her hands on her hips.)

LUCAS: Anyway, I don’t get why you’re so upset.

BROOKE: You’re kidding, right?

LUCAS: You’re the one who wanted to be non-exclusive. I’m just doing what you wanted.

BROOKE: (Hurt) What I wanted? (Pause) I wanted you to fight for me!

(Lucas looks away, equally hurt.)

BROOKE: I wanted you to say there is no one else that you could ever be with and that you would rather be alone than without me. (Pause) I wanted the Lucas Scott from the beach that night; telling the world that he’s the one for me.

LUCAS: (Painfully) How was I supposed to know that?

BROOKE: (Shakes her head, desolate.) …You just are.

(Lucas’ eyes are strangely bright. Brooke looks at the car and glares.)

BROOKE: And one more thing…

(She walks back to the car. She stands in front of Rachel who looks back at her, clothes back on. Brooke punches her in the face, hard.)

BROOKE: (Looking into the open window with a smirk.) Don’t ever hit me again(!)

(Rachel holds her face as Brooke walks past Lucas. He watches her sadly.)

(Lucas looks down.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton sits on her bed. She looks down at the bin and sees the torn article. She looks at it for a b*at before pulling it out of the trash. She reads it.)

ELLIE: (v.o) It’s tough to get to know Peyton. Like me, she tends to keep the world at arms length… but in those fleeting moments she has let me in… I’ve seen in her, such indomitable courage… and heart – a young woman anyone would be proud to call her daughter.

(The camera pans left.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – KAREN’S CAR – EVENING]

(There is a flyer stuck under Karen’s window wiper.)

KAREN: ‘Dan’s the Man’? (Pulls it off.)

(She scoffs at it and screws it up. Dan walks up to her.)

DAN: So you’re running against me. (Pause) Who’da thought; eighteen years after I pick Deb over you.

KAREN: What’s your point, Dan?

DAN: The point is, you came in second place then. What makes you think it’d be any different now?

(Dan smirks. Karen glares slightly and walks to the door of her car. Dan walks away.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. THE MOTEL – ELLIE’S ROOM – EVENING]

(Peyton walks up to the door that is already open. She knocks but there’s no answer. She pushes the door open. The room is bare. Ellie left, just like she said she would.)

(Peyton sees something on the bedside table and walks to it. It’s Ellie’s bracelet. There’s a tag that says ‘Survivor’ on it and the numbers ‘1, 2 and 3’. It’s a cancer survival bracelet. She picks it up and looks at it closely. Ellie wasn’t lying about the cancer. Peyton looks at the doorway with tears in her eyes.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton is back at the computer, podcasting again.)

PEYTON: (o.s) Hi, guys. (Pause) As you know, I recently met my birth mother… and I really didn’t like her.

(Camera pans down to the taped together article and the bracelet which Peyton picks up.)

PEYTON: As a matter of fact, I drove her away… and now she’s gone. (Smiles sadly.) But… the part that really sucks-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL – THE HOSPITAL – EVENING]

(Ellie is lying on a gurney, waiting to be scanned. She’s terrified and sad.)

PEYTON: (v.o) You know that thing about judging a book by its cover? It’s true.

(The machine starts to move and Ellie disappears into it.)

PEYTON: (v.o) Sometimes you gotta read the whole thing and, even then, you still might not know the whole story.

(There is an iPod with speakers and a computer set up in the hospital so that Ellie can listen to music. The lights on the machine blink and flash.)

FADE TO:

[EXT. APARTMENT (EST) – DAY]

(Haley walks up the steps with her guitar case. She knocks on the door. Chris opens it and Haley smiles tightly. Chris smiles back.)

HALEY: (Annoyed) Get your guitar… and wipe that stupid smile off your face.

(Chris laughs and Haley walks into the apartment. Nathan stands on the street below – how he knew when to be there is a mystery – and he watches them. The door shuts. Nathan puts his earphones back on and jogs away.)

END