03x06 - Locked Hearts and Hand Grenades

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x06 - Locked Hearts and Hand Grenades

Post by bunniefuu »

FADE IN:

LUCAS: (v.o) Previously on One Tree Hill.

[INT. THE MOTEL – ELLIE’S ROOM – DAY]

PEYTON: What the hell is this?

ELLIE: It’s an article I wrote.

PEYTON: I’ve got a headline for you article; it’s called ‘Go to Hell’!

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE GYM – EVENING]

WHITEY: the candidate that I’m endorsing… Ms. Karen Roe. (Holds his arm out.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GROUNDS – DAY]

LUCAS: You want me to ask her out?

BROOKE: (Points behind her without looking) She’s the one.

(Brooke looks back and sees that she’s pointing at Rachel. She’s clearly shocked.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – LUCAS’S CAR – EVENING]

RACHEL: You’re using me… and I’m OK with that.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL-OUTSIDE OF LUCAS’S CAR-EVENING]

LUCAS: You’re the one who wanted to be non-exclusive. I’m just doing what you wanted.

BROOKE: (Hurt) I wanted you to fight for me!

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – LOCKER ROOM – EVENING]

LUCAS: you’re just… like… Dan (!)

(That does it. Nathan grabs the front of Lucas’ shirt, swings back and punches him in the face. Lucas punches him back and the entire team decides to get involved. There’s a scrum as they are all pushed forward in a confusing mass of limbs.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – EVENING]

WHITEY: I’m making you co-captains… and you two are either gonna make this work or TEAR IT DOWN!

CUT TO:

[INT. ROE RESIDENCE – LUCAS’ BEDROOM – EVENING]

(Lucas tips his medicine container upside-down and out falls his last pill. He looks up worriedly.)

LUCAS: I needed to buy some medicine.

HALEY: (Sighs, not wanting to know.) For what?

LUCAS: I have HCM.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – EVENING]

DEB: I made a deal with the devil that I’d stand by his side through this election. (She frowns and looks at Karen unhappily.) I can still make things… difficult for him.

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – LIVING ROOM – EVENING]

DAN: (Viciously) You wanna play with me – game on.

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – DEB’S BEDROOM – EVENING]

There’s a b*at before the sound of electricity is heard and a bright blue light shines beneath the covers. Dan screams.

CUT TO:

[INT. THIRD AND LONG – DINING AREA – EVENING]

NATHAN: (Sighs) We can help Haley with her music.

CHRIS: And you care, why?

NATHAN: Because she loves it… and I love her.

CUT TO:

[INT. DAVIS SCOTT APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM – DAY]

HALEY: Working with Chris nearly k*lled our marriage!

NATHAN: I told you I needed to be able to trust you again. (Smiles) This is your chance.

(Haley goes to Chris’s house with a box of stuff and Nathan sees her.)

FADE TO BLACK:

END OF PREVIOUSLY ON:

OPENING CREDITS ROLL:

FADE IN:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(The basketball players are watching a new broadcast about their fight on TV.)

ANCHORMAN: And In Tree Hill North Carolina, the local high school basketball team, the Ravens began their season with a bench clearing brawl which wouldn’t be that noteworthy except this brawl pitted the Ravens against the Ravens. Even their Cheerleaders got in a few good sh*ts. Looks like these kittens have claws. When asked about the incident Coach Brian Whitey Durham had no comment.

(Whitey clicks the TV off.)

WHITEY: I’ve got a comment for you, Gym, su1c1de, Move (!)

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – THE GYM – DAY]

(The players are running back and forth across the court touching their fingers to each side on the floor.)

WHITEY: The way I see it you boys owe this school a major debt and you will find that payback is a Bitch and the currency is pain.

CUT TO:

[EXT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – POOL – DAY]

(Dan is peeing in the pool when he finishes he gives a little satisfactory sigh and heads indoors where Deb is in the kitchen in her robe.)

DAN: Sleep well honey? Funny thing, I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and all the toilets were clogged.

DEB: Hmm.

DAN: How were the toilets on your side of the house?

DEB: Fine. Maybe you should call a plumber.

DAN: Oh, don’t worry. I’ll make do.

(Deb removes her robe and has a bathing suit underneath.)

DAN: Going for a swim?

DEB: Nothing gets by you Dan.

DAN: The waters warm you’re in for a treat.

(Deb takes her lotions and robe and goes out to the pool area.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – THE GROUNDS – DAY]

(Haley is peeking from behind a pillar and sees Nathan coming she walks out and intentionally bumps into him.)

HALEY: Oh hey, sorry, Just friendly.

NATHAN: That’s cool.

HALEY: Oh by the way, I don’t know what was going on with you and Lucas at Midnight Madness but I really wished you guys would get back to the way things used to be.

NATHAN: This is the way things used to be Haley.

HALEY: I meant before I left.

(They start to walk together.)

HALEY: What were you fighting about anyway?

NATHAN: You. So you’re a Cheerleader now. What’s…What’s that all about?

HALEY: Ah, Brooke needed my help. Kinda glad I get to see more of you though. Is that okay with you? I mean not that I need your permission or anything. I just…

NATHAN: You don’t but next time you want to talk don’t pretend to run into me just talk to me Hales, I don’t want to play games.

HALEY: Awe, you mean like uh, other then challenging me to work with Chris again?

NATHAN: Yeah, I guess…I guess so. So how’s it going anyway?

HALEY: Uh, coming along I guess.

NATHAN: Don’t sleep on your music Hales it’s a big part of who you are.

HALEY: Yeah. (watches him leave) So are you.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – BY THE BUSES – DAY]

(Peyton and Brooke are walking down the sidewalk to the school entrance.)

PEYTON: So are you going to give me the damage report on you and Lucas?

BROOKE: Let’s see, one boy, one car, one naked skeez in the back seat and one Brooke Davis totally flipping out.

PEYTON: Ooh, Rachel stole your move, huh? (laughs)

BROOKE: That’s not the point. It just really set me off seeing them together.

PEYTON: Even though you are the one that put them together.

BROOKE: Way to twist the Kn*fe. The point is that she can’t come in here and try to steal my squad and my boyfriend.

PEYTON: Boyfriend (!) Isn’t that like a dirty word in the whole keeping it casual scenario?

BROOKE: Yes, okay I know. I totally screwed this up but what am I supposed to say to him?

PEYTON: Well, see there’s this new thing out it’s called an apology. All the cool kids are doing it. You might want to try it. You know what if you really get into trouble try using the word exclusive.

(Peyton leaves and Brooke walks up to Lucas who is hanging flyers on a peg board outside.)

BROOKE: Hey there. Um, okay look, I’m really sorry Luc. I know that I came down on you really hard the other night and I know that the whole date with Rachel was my idea but I do have feelings for you.

LUCAS: Listen, I thought a lot about what you said the other night uh, you know about what kind of guy you want me to be and I want to be that kind of guy for you but you have to let me be that guy.

BROOKE: (Looks at the staple g*n he’s holding) If I say okay do you promise to lower the w*apon?

LUCAS: Oh, sorry.

(They walk together.)

BROOKE: So whatcha got there anyway?

LUCAS: Oh, flyers for my fantasy league.

BROOKE: Hmm, sounds kinky.

LUCAS: Fantasy Basketball League.

BROOKE: Oh, sounds lame. How does it work?

LUCAS: Well, there’s a draft where you pick from a list of NBA players and build your own ideal fantasy team.

BROOKE: So you get to pick and choose from a big group of hot athletic guys. Definitely take that back not lame. Although you know there are better things to fantasize about.

LUCAS: Yeah Well, I don’t really have a girlfriend what else is there?

BROOKE: Oh Ho.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – HALLWAY – DAY]

(Brooke and Lucas enter the hallway and see two girls yelling at each other.)

ASHLEY: You liar (!) You knew I was going to ask Fede out and you sniped him.

BEVIN 2: Just because he’s in your cart doesn’t mean I can’t grab him before you get to the check out line.

ASHLEY: yeah. Check this out.

(They start to slap each other. Brooke gasps.)

BEVIN: Oh no you didn’t.

LUCAS: (watching) I could fantasize about this.

(The girls pull each others hair.)

BROOKE: Bevin, Ashley Stop(!)

RACHEL: Can’t really blame them. I mean they watch their Captain go all Kung-Fu hustle at Midnight Madness and now they all want to look like Brooke.

(Brooke gives her a fake smile. Rachel looks down at her shoes and then slowly up.)

RACHEL: Of course that would mean a trip to Good Will. Hey Luc.

(Coach WHITEY comes out of his office and blows his whistle.)

WHITEY: Alright Paris and Nicole, that’s quite enough. If I wanted to watch Cheerleaders wrestle, I’d turned on pay-per-view.

BROOKE: That’s okay Coach, I can handle them.

WHITEY: Is that a fact? After your little melee at the Midnight Madness, principle Turner and I came to a meeting of the minds. Another fight like this and there won’t be anymore Cheerleaders this season.

Brooke: Wha?

WHITEY: Get your squad under control Miss. Davis otherwise you’ll find yourself cheering for the chess team.

(Brooke grabs Coach Whiteys whistle and blows in it really loud.)

BROOKE: (points) Squad meeting now (!)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CLASSROOM – DAY]

(Brooke is at the front of the class standing and the rest of the squad are seated at desks.)

BROOKE: (angry) This is my senior year and as long as I am Captain I am not about to loose this squad because we are all fighting over the same guys.

ASHLEY: Bevin knows I like Fede(!)

BEVIN: Too bad Fede’s not into whores.

BROOKE: Okay (!) Enough(!)

(Rachel laughs from the back of the room.)

BROOKE: Do you have a problem?

RACHEL: Just waiting to hear what your plan is Captain.

BROOKE: My plan. I’ll tell you what my plan is…

RACHEL: We’re waiting. Aren’t we girls?

BROOKE: The plan is (looks at Lucas’ flyer on the wall) Fantasy Boy draft.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – GIRL’S LOCKER ROOM – DAY]

(Brooke is holding her purse out in front of the girls and they are taking pieces of paper out of it.)

BROOKE: Okay, here’s the rules of the Fantasy Boy draft. Once you pick a guy he’s yours for the season which means he’s off the market and no one else can touch him. You got it Bevin? Ashley?

HALEY: (Holds up a compact) What are these for?

BROOKE: I’m glad you asked trial separation girl. Open em up. The number on your compact will determine where you are in the draft order.

BEVIN: What's to stop us from just dating whoever we want even with this little draft thingy?

BROOKE: Good question Bevin. Of course you'd be kicked off the squad or worse.

BEVIN: Like how worse?

BROOKE: Liiikee...What's to keep me from telling the whole school that one of you was left handcuffed in Thomas' bed for seven hours waiting for a locksmith? (one cheerleader looks worried) Or that at the Sparkle Classic last year, one of you had a little too much to drink and made out with another one of you? (one girl glances up at Brooke) Or that scar on a certain someone's back isn't really from falling off her bike but was one of those little baby spine tails that the doctors had to lop off after she was born? (Bevin looks embarrassed) In other words, Honor, code of silence, you all keep the rules of the code, I keep silent about all the dirt I have on you. Break the rules and it’s social su1c1de. Final rule, at anytime in the season you are not happy with your draft picks, you can trade with someone else. Okay? Let’s count out our numbers starting from one.

PEYTON: One.

BROOKE: Way to go P. Sawyer with pick numero uno. (holds her compact up.) Right behind ya with number two. Who’s got three?

BEVIN: Three.

HAYLEY: Uh, four.

RACHEL: Five.

BROOKE: hmm.

PEYTON: So wait, once we pick our guy then what happens?

BROOKE: It’s up to you.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – DAY]

(Deb comes inside and Karen is setting a box of stuff on a table near the red couch.)

KAREN: Hello there.

DEB: Hey.

KAREN: All quiet on the western front?

DEB: (laughs) Not even close. (sits) Last night I clogged the toilet on Dan’s side of the house now he’s even more full of crap then usual.

(Karen laughs)

KAREN: I want to show you something. (She pulls a flyer out of the box) These are hot off the presses. Here you go. My first official Roe for Mayor Campaign poster.

DEB: (reads it) Roe, Roe, Roe your vote. That’s cute.

(Deb goes to help Karen hang up the poster on the window and they notice a truck with Dan pulling up outside. The truck has a huge sign with Dan’s campaign poster mounted on the back trailer of it. Dan jumps out of the truck and looks at Karen through the glass pointing at his sign and puts his thumb up.)

DEB: You’re going to need a bigger sign.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – CLASSROOM – DAY]

(Brooke and Peyton are sitting next to each other. The teacher is giving a lecture. Peyton is playing with her bracelet and Brooke is writing a note.)

TEACHER: Throughout the 19th century, China’s emperors watched in dismay as foreigners approached further and further into their lands in the hopes of repelling this foreign invasion…

(Brooke places the note on Peyton’s lap)

PEYTON: What?

BROOKE: Read it.

(Peyton takes the note and is looking it over. Lucas glances around the kid in front of him trying to see what they are doing. It appears to be Brooke’s draft picks. Lucas notices what it is and smiles. Peyton throws it back to Brooke who drops it.)

TEACHER: Miss. Davis, perhaps there is something in that note that could enlighten us about the Boxer Rebellion?

(Brooke puts the note in her purse.)

BROOKE: Well, they totally won out over briefs.

(Everyone laughs)

TEACHER: The purse hmm, (puts her hand out) let’s have it.

RACHEL: Um, excuse me, Miss. Um, Miss. Sorry I forgot your name.

TEACHER: Jillean.

RACHEL: Right, my bad. In New Jersey vs. TLO the Supreme Court ruled that unless a law has been broken or there’s probable cause to suspect a law has been broken… searches and/or seizures of students property is unlawful and last time I checked not paying attention in class wasn’t a crime.

(The bell rings. Brooke slams her pen down and closes her book. Rachel waits for Lucas to come out of the classroom.)

LUCAS: Pretty sweet legal moves, counselor.

RACHEL: You should see my not so legal moves.

(They laugh together and Lucas leaves. Brooke comes up to Rachel.)

BROOKE: Hey (!) Do you actually think I need your help?

RACHEL: Well, I guess that’s a thank you in Brooke world.

BROOKE: Oh look, you got something right, it is my world. You may have my whole squad fooled but if you’re trying to suck up to me, don’t bother.

(Brooke walks away and Lucas who overheard joins her.)

LUCAS: Hey, she did kind of bail you out back there.

BROOKE: You are not allowed to defend her. In fact I would appreciate it if you didn’t associate with her clothed or otherwise.

LUCAS: Well, does this mean you’re going to pick me in your fantasy draft?

BROOKE: How did you know about that?

LUCAS: Oh, Come on from three rows back I still know what a fantasy draft looks like.

BROOKE: (crosses her arms) Well I admit nothing. It’s just a plan to keep the rest of my squad from tearing each others heads off.

LUCAS: Really, you’re sure it’s not about Brook Davis having her cake and dating it too?

BROOKE: Could be, Could not be, But I will let you know if we need to schedule a private work out for research.

(Peyton is at her locker putting her books in it when Rachel comes walking up to her.)

RACHEL: (holds out a CD to her) I saw the NOFX sticker on you’re locker figured you be into this. Super rare bootleg recorded straight off the mixing board.

PEYTON: Right. Look Rachel, Brookes my best friend so you can try her off with your legal jargon but you can’t buy me off with a bootleg.

RACHEL: Peyton, I’m offering to let you borrow a CD. Anything else is your baggage. Honestly I’m just surprised a Cheerleader is into Punk. I didn’t think anybody was that screwed up. I mean besides me. (Peyton just looks at her) C’mon Peyton I’m trying here.

PEYTON: Right, you do realize I’m the one that tackled you at Midnight Madness right?

RACHEL: Yeah but I heard the rumors I just figured you were into me.

(Peyton laughs)

RACHEL: Look, I get it but some people just don’t get along but being friends with me does not mean you are betraying Brooke.

PEYTON: Hmm, you don’t know Brooke very well, do you?

RACHEL: (tires to hand the CD to her) C’mon you know you want to hear it.

PEYTON: No thanks.

(Peyton walks away and Rachel smiles. Then Peyton turns around and comes back and Rachel hands it to her over her shoulder.)

CUT TO:

(The guys are still doing the su1c1de runs and coach Whitey is holding a stop watch with a whistle in his mouth. Lucas seems to behind all the others. Haley and Brooke are in on the bleachers watching them. Peyton is in the bleachers too drawing in her sketch pad.)

HALEY: Oh man, Lucas looks really tired.

BROOKE: Well I certainly haven’t been keeping him up at night. Of course that could always change after the boy draft.

HALEY: Alright I gotta go keep an eye on him, huh?

(Haley picks up her backpack and leaves.)

BROOKE: I will (sighs) maybe two.

(Mouth goes up to the bleachers next to Peyton.)

MOUTH: Making some notes on potential draft picks?

PEYTON: Not really.

(She shows him a sketch of a girl.)

MOUTH: Wow, she’s pretty. Who is she?

PEYTON: Wish I knew. So what’s up Mouth?

MOUTH: The draft, everybody is talking about it. I was just wondering any chance a guy like me has a sh*t at getting picked?

PEYTON: (laughs) C’mon Mouth, What are you talking about? You’re a total catch. (He smiles) I guarantee you someone is going to pick you. Besides (points to players) you’ll probably be the only guy left alive.

(Whitey blows the whistle and Lucas is the last one finished.)

WHITEY: Lucas Scott (!) Why don’t you hop on your brothers back and let him carry you? Alright gentleman, line up let’s do it again. There’s a reason they call these sixteen sixties, each one of you has to touch that sideline sixteen times in sixty seconds. If one of you fails to do it then you all do it again.

(Lucas is hunched over winded.)

NATHAN: Better get your ass in shape or you’ll be the only Captain in the league riding the bench.

SKILLS: C’mon baby, we’re in this together.

(Whitey blows the whistle and they all begin again.)

CUT TO:

(Brooke is walking outside and Bevin walks towards her.)

BROOKE: Bevin.

BEVIN: Hi.

BROOKE: So why wasn’t Rachel scouting for the fantasy draft today?

BEVIN: She said she didn’t have to. She already knows who she’s going to pick.

BROOKE: And who might that be?

BEVIN: She kinda made me promise I wouldn’t tell anybody.

BROOKE: Okay, (reaches up to her necklace) Bev, I know you guys have become best friends and that’s cool. You probably want to be loyal (holds necklace up in front of Bevin’s face.) not betray her.

(Bevin snatches the necklace.)

BEVIN: Chris Keller.

BROOKE: (laughs) Wait, Chris Keller?

BEVIN: Yeah, Rachel met him at the record store. She’s got a thing for musicians plus she said he’s really really sweet.

CUT TO:

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO-DAY]

(Haley is sitting down with her guitar and Chris is standing in front of her.)

CHRIS: It sucks Haley.

HALEY: Wha…huh… I worked really hard on that song. What do you mean it sucks?

CHIRS: I mean it sucks so bad, I’m wondering if it’s possible to unhear a song?

HALEY: Well maybe it’s a song that is good and it’s you that sucks.

CHRIS: Yeah, maybe, let me think…um, no. It’s the song but the one good thing about it, besides that fact that it’s over is now that you have gotten all the crap out of your system, you can write something real. (Haley is mad) You’ve got to write the truth Hales. How are things with Nathan?

HALEY: (stands) I’m not discussing that with you.

CHRIS: Ooo, that bad, huh?

HALEY: No, things are fine.

CHRIS: I don’t think they are. I think things are a mess Haley, and until you deal with that your music is going to suffer.

CUT TO:

(Lucas is walking down the hall looking defeated and Skills walks up to him.)

SKILLS: Look who it is. I didn’t even know if you still went to this school no more, Dog.

LUCAS: You’ve been spending too much time in the Arts center. It might do you some good to hang out with us non-gifted kids.

SKILLS: Ah, whatever. Don’t be actin like you ain’t been busy. I thought I was gonna have to hide buck naked in your backseat just to get your attention.

LUCAS: (opens locker) You heard about that?

SKILLS: Hey man. The whole school heard about that, Dog but I mean you could of shared the wealth. First, Brook Davies…Now the new red head, I mean you do know why the backseat was invented, right?

LUCAS: Uh, yeah. I think I was conceived in one.

SKILLS: (laughs) Good point but on the real man, how you holding up, You good?

LUCAS: (sighs) What do you mean?

SKILLS: First half of the summer you play like straight trash. Then bam you back to the old Luc. I mean what’s going on?

LUCAS: Oh, nothing just finally getting into shape.

SKILLS: Right and that wouldn’t have nothing to do with your little heart condition thing your moms got all worked up about would it?

LUCAS: HCM. No, I tested negative.

SKILLS: Mm. Luc I know you love the game, Dog. Just like I love the game but the people in your life, they love you more. You do understand that, right?

LUCAS: Yeah Skills, I get it alright. I’ll be fine.

SKILLS: Alright man, Alright. (Skills looks behind him then back.)

LUCAS: What?

SKILLS: Yo check this out.(looks at Bevin) Shorty been checking me out all week son.

LUCAS: Yeah there’s this boy draft thing.

SKILLS: Yeah I heard but on the real last time somebody was following me around like that…I was in the department store, straight up.

(Lucas puts his arm around Skills shoulder and laughs. Bevin walks quickly away.)

CUT TO:

(Brooke and Peyton are walking together.)

PEYTON: Brooke, that’s amazing (!) Now what exactly did your manager say?

BROOKE: Well, she said she showed my clothing designs to all the corporate monkeys at Suburban Ville and they totally responded so now all I need is Rachel to die of TSS and life will be perfect.

PEYTON: Hey have you noticed all the guys have been acting really Stepfordish lately?

BROOKE: It’s the fantasy boy draft. We have the first two picks.

PEYTON: Right.

BROOKE: Should have done this years ago now we have all the power.

PEYTON: Oh, so that’s why you rigged the draft order so you could lock up Lucas exclusively.

BROOKE: Uh, maybe.

PEYTON: Mm. Hm.

BROOKE: Kay, probably. What about you?

PEYTON: Any chance that Jake’s going to turn up by Friday?

BROOKE: Aw, sorry buddy but you’re not. Every boy here wants to be the first pick in the draft.

PEYTON: Ah, you think?

BROOKE: Watch this.

(Brooke drops Peyton’s books on the ground and boys come flocking to pick them up for her. They laugh and Peyton takes them as the boys hand them back to her.)

PEYTON: (to guys) Thank you.

CUT TO:

(Peyton walks down the hall and Haley runs up to her.)

HALEY: Hey, never expected the Cheerleading squad to have more drama then the Drama club.

PEYTON: What did you expect from Cheerleading?

HALEY: Uh, I don’t know. It’s was a spur of a moment decision. I’m kinda glad I get to see more of Nathan and you guys. I just don’t know how I’m going to balance this with doing the music thing with Chris.

PEYTON: You’re working with Chris again?

HALEY: Yeah actually.

PEYTON: You know for someone that wants to stay close to Nathan, spending time with a guy that drove you apart is a hell of a way to show it.

HALEY: (shocked) Uh, (sighs.)
CUT TO:

(The Cheerleaders are outside looking at guys with notebooks in their hands.)

ASHLEY: Ooh, we got a door holder at two o’clock, chivalrous and a good dresser. (she writes him down)

RACHEL: (walks up holding a box full of identical binders) That’s Smitty and he sh**t for the other team, sorry.

(She hands the box to Bevin to hold.)

RACHEL: (takes a binder out of the box) I already know who I’m drafting but I thought you guys could use these scatter reports I put together. Every guy’s stats cross referenced with dating histories and stuff written on bathroom stalls.

BEVIN: Nice.

(Brooke gives her a nasty smile and she returns it.)

ASHLEY: (Takes a photo page out of the binder) Oh, I’m drafting the hell out of that.

CHEERLEADER: Absolutely.

ASHLEY: Rachel, you rock.

CUT TO:

(Lucas is by himself in the gym doing su1c1de runs.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton is sitting at a table sketching in her book. Cheerleaders are in the background taking measurements of guys with their notebooks in hand. One guy dances for them. The guys pick them up and do push ups to impress them too.)

BLONDE CL: (taking pictures of guys) Hi, okay ready.( the guy puts two thumbs up) Okay, next? HI. Okay. That’s great. Ok thank you. HI. Okay that’s great. Hold it right there. (sees Mouth in the sh*t.) Mouth, can you do me a favor?

MOUSE: Sure, snap away.

BLONDE CL: No, can you move out of the way?

(Mouse looks at the line behind him and leaves.)

BLONDE CL: Aright, ready, here we go again.

CUT TO:

(Lucas slows down and leans over to catch his breath. A Gatorade bottle rolls across the floor to his feet. He grabs it and stands up to see Dan.)

DAN: Looking a little tired there Lucas. Maybe you don’t have the heart for this.

LUCAS: What do you want?

DAN: I want you to talk some sense into your mother. Tell her to drop out of the Mayor’s race.

LUCAS: Why, you afraid of the competition?

DAN: I would be if there actually was a competition then again blow outs are kind of fun. Just talk to her…that is if you can catch your breath.

(Dan smirks and leaves. Lucas drops the Gatorade bottle to the floor.)

CUT TO:

(Skills is getting a drink of water out of the water fountain and notices Bevin staring at his butt.)

SKILLS: You want to touch it?

BEVIN: No, I was just um.

SKILLS: Come on, come on and check out my assets. Touch the Skills heels.

(Bevin reaches down and squeezes his butt.)

Bevin: Oooh

(She turns away and writes in her notebook. Skills grabs her by the shoulders and leans toward her ear.)

SKILLS: You know Skills has two heels in there, right?

(She smirks and a bell rings only to break her out of her day dream. She snaps out of it and sees Skills getting a drink. Then she turns and walks away quickly.)

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFE – COUNTER – DAY]

(Haley runs through the door and Lucas is bringing a box of glasses behind the counter.)

LUCAS: You’re late. Kind of pushing it aren’t ya?

HALEY: That makes two of us. I was at the library doing research and I think I’ve figured out why you have been having so much trouble at practice.

( Haley sets her purse on the counter and leans in towards Lucas. Karen comes into the bar area and both of them stand up straight fast.)

KAREN: Hi Haley.

HALEY: Hi. (leans in and whispers when Karen leaves) I found this website that said that sluggish physical performance is one of the side effects of the HCM mediation. Now it’s bad enough you haven’t told your mom but I really think you should talk to Whitey.

LUCAS: I can handle it.

HALEY: Players have collapsed and d*ed because of this, okay. You need to tell Whitey about your heart.

LUCAS: I don’t know if I can do that.

HALEY: Well, I know one thing. If you don’t talk to him, I will.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFE – BAR AREA – DAY]

(Haley is putting Janis Joplin up on the map and Chris walks up to the bar.)

CHRIS: Janice Joplin, now she’s a great song writer.

(Haley turns and looks at him.)

HALEY: I wonder if it’s possible to un-meet a person?

CHRIS: Hey, I was just being honest like all the great song writers are… Like you need to be.

(Haley slaps the labeller on the counter and grabs some papers to look at.)

CHRIS: Look, take Eric Clapton all his best songs came from pain and longing. Now, Layla… about his best friends woman…Tears in Heaven for his son.

HALEY: Thank you for the pep talk but I really do need to get back to this if you don’t mind.

CHRIS: I know. You didn’t put my name up there.

(Chris puts Haley’s name on the map.)

HALEY: Chris, that wall is for great musicians.

CHRIS: I know.

HALEY: (peels it off) I do not belong up here.

CHRIS: If you would stop running from your emotions and start writing about it, one day you might.

(He picks up his coffee and walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. SCOTT RESIDENCE – KITCHEN – EVENING]

(Deb is in the kitchen pouring some ultra laxatives in the coffee pot. Just as she finishes Dan comes in and doesn’t notice.)

DAN: No morning swim today?

DEB: Nope. I guess you’ll be on the campaign trail all day today?

(Dan pours himself a cup of coffee out of the pot with the laxatives in it.)

DAN: That’s Right, gotta run.

(Dan leaves and Deb is watching him with her back to the refrigerator smiling.)

DEB: (to herself) I’ll bet.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – DAY]

(Dan walks in and throws a newspaper on the counter.)

DAN: (reads headline) Mayoral Election to be a Dan-slide! Did you get a look at the first election polls? It’s almost like I’m running on a post.

KAREN: Go away, Dan. (she goes to hand him the paper.)

DAN: No, no, you keep it. My treat.

KAREN: I’ve never taken anything from you before, why start now. (tosses his change to him)

DAN: Great, I can use the change for the meter.

KAREN: Worried Dan? I mean why else would you even bother coming in here. Afraid what will happen once the voters get to know me.

DAN: But they won’t Karen. Think about it. Do you even have the resources to wage an effective campaign? Do you have the respect of the community? Do you…(looks sick) Do you have a bathroom?

(Karen points to it and he runs.)

CUT TO:

(Nathan is walking with Peyton.)

PEYTON: So I guess you survived Whitey’s practice. He seems like he was pretty tough on you guys. How you holding up?

NATHAN: I can roll with it. I’ve been meaning to ask you the same question though. I caught your latest pod cast and I guess I didn’t realize your situation with your mom was so…

PEYTON: Yeah but you know I can roll with it.

NATHAN: Just as long as, you know, you don’t have to roll solo.

PEYTON: So you ready for this draft thing?

NATHAN: Yeah any chance I won’t get picked?

PEYTON: Um, well let’s see. I have the first pick. Woohoo um, and then you’re safe with Brooke and Bevin but then there’s a fourth pick, um, your wife.

NATHAN: Yeah.

PEYTON: Mm, Hm, Look, if you’re not ready to go on a date with Haley, I can pick you. Okay but it’s your call so you tell me. Do you want Haley to pick you?

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH SCHOOL – COACH WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Whitey is reading something while Lucas knocks then sits down.)

WHITEY: Well, well the tortoise finally crosses the finish line. (removes his glasses.)

LUCAS: Don’t you mean the hare the tortoise finished first.

WHITEY: You couldn’t b*at either one of them.

LUCAS: Look, there’s a reason I’ve been lagging behind coach. I…I’m out of shape. I’ll do whatever it takes to get it back it’s not fair to take it out on the team. They don’t deserve it. If you have to take it out on someone, take it out on me.

(Whitey gets up and goes over to Lucas)

WHITEY: Don’t worry son. I’ll take care of you.. (pats him on the arm.)

CUT TO:

(The players are lined up in the gym and Whitey is standing in front of them talking. The Cheerleaders are off to the side practicing.)

WHITEY: Seems I have been unfairly riding you guys a little too hard lately. At least according to your co-captain, Lucas Scott, so he’s taking today’s practice off so he can catch up on his sleepy, sleepy time. (points to Lucas) Go have a seat. Now that being said while your co-captain is kicked back enjoying a cold drink and having a mandy petty. The rest of you are going to work twice as hard. Alright, to the sidelines now(!) Get movin (!) Go, go, go(!)

(The players line up. Nathan lines up in front of where Lucas is sitting.)

NATHAN: (over his shoulder) What the hell is a matter with you man?

(Whitey blows the whistle and they all start running.)

WHITEY: Alright let’s move, move, move. My grandmother can run faster.

(Haley looks over and sees Lucas with his head bowed. Haley puts her pom poms away.)

BEVIN: Hey Haley.

HALEY: Hey, hi.

BEVIN: Um, I was just wondering how are things with you and Nathan?

HALEY: Ah, complicated but I’m not going to give up on him.

BEVIN: You go Hales. Good for you. (turns to the rest of the squad) He’s a no go girls.

HALEY: Bevin, Nathan’s my husband. You can’t seriously be thinking of drafting him.

(Peyton walks up.)

PEYTON: Yeah Bevin, you can’t draft Nathan.

HALEY: Thanks Peyton.

PEYTON: Cause I have first pick and I’m taking him.

(Haley is clearly upset at that.)

CUT TO:

(Rachel is hanging up some flyers and Brooke walks up to her.)

BROOKE: (takes flyer down.) Look, Hoebot this is a poser free zone. (she rips it in half.)

RACHEL: What’s wrong Brookie? ,jealous because the Keller isn’t into you?

BROOKE: I wouldn’t let the Keller into me if he were the last…

(Coach Whitey comes walking by and they pretend to be nice to each other.)

RACHEL: (touches Brookes necklace) Oh my God, I love your necklace.

BROOKE: And your shoes are so fetch.

WHITEY: Well, I’m glad to see you girls patched things up.

BROOKE: Mm. Hm.

RACHEL: Oh yeah, we’re totally Beaches.

WHITEY: Oh, you know if you girls refer to each other that way, the boys are going think it’s alright to do the same.

(Rachel puts her arm around Brooke.)

BROOKE: No coach, Beaches like the movie.

WHITEY: Well, carry on.

(He walks away and the both separate quickly)

RACHEL: Fetch?

BROOKE: Yeah, you know something a dog does.

(Peyton comes up and grabs Brooke by the arm.)

PEYTON: Hey, Hey, Hey. How do you fell about the mathletes because that’s who you are going to be cheering for if you don’t quit cage matching it out with Rachel. Why don’t you just put the leader back in Cheerleader and make peace with her?

BROOKE: You know Peyton, I will just as soon as you make peace with Haley. (Peyton gives her a look) That’s what I thought and p.s. you cannot draft Nathan. He’s Haley’s.

PEYTON: No, he was then she skipped town.

BROOKE: They are married. This is bad stuff P. Sawyer. Isn’t there anybody else that you could pick?

PEYTON: Well yeah. There’s Lucas.

BROOKE: Oh no. On second thought Nathan’s a great idea.

PEYTON: Mm.Hm.

(Lucas is putting his books in his locker and Haley walks up to him.)

HALEY: So I guess it’s safe to say that you didn’t talk to Whitey. (He looks away.) That’s fine. I’ll tell him. (she starts to walk away.)

LUCAS: Haley(!) Look, you don’t get it. If you tell Whitey I have a heart condition, I’m off the team.

HALEY: Yeah and if I don’t tell Whitey you have a heart condition, you’re off the planet.

LUCAS: (hushed) Haley, for the longest time I’ve have been an outsider. I joined this team and the guys accepted me. I became a part of something and it’s something I care about.

HALEY: I know Luc.

LUCAS: I’m not going to die if I take the pills. I just have to work harder to compensate for the medication.

HALEY: Luc will you listen to yourself the medication that you’re taking is supposed to inhibit your performance that is how it saves your life.

LUCAS: I am the Master of my fate. I am the Captain of my soul.

HALEY: What?

LUCAS: William Henley, Invictus…it’s Latin.

HALEY: Invincible, Yeah I know. I know the poem. I also know that William Henley didn’t have a heart condition. Luc, you’re not…you’re not invincible. I just hope you live long enough to realize it.

(Haley walks away and Lucas slams his locker.)

CUT TO:

[INT. BROOKE’S PLACE- EVENING]

(The girls are entering a Brookes and Mouth is outside.)

MOUTH: (hands out Polaroid’s of himself) For your consideration I’d make an excellent sleeper pick.

Girl: eww gross

MOUTH: No, it doesn’t mean that, it just means…(girls slams door in his face.)

(Brooke is passing around cookies inside to the girls.)

BROOKE: Cookie? Refreshment? Hey.

(Haley walks up to Peyton.)

HALEY: I just want you to know you’re wasting your time drafting Nathan. You can pick him I can’t stop you but I’m not going anywhere Peyton. Nathan and I are meant to be together. I know that, you know that and one of these days he’s going to know that too.

(She walks away from Peyton. Brooke brings in a tray of cupcakes)

RACHEL: Who wants cupcakes?

BROOKE: Has everybody seen my new wall? It’s um, of the French Riviera.

RACHEL: Italian Riviera, actually.

BROOKE: Ah, excuse me? It’s my wall.

RACHEL: Well, your wall is of the Portofino River. We vaca every year there.

(Brooke is annoyed. Rachel goes over to the wall.)

RACHEL: See, here, that is the Splendito Mare. I met the hottest guy while staying there.

(Peyton goes over to Brooke.)

PEYTON: So you two bury the hatchet yet?

BROOKE: Funny thing I’m about to bury it in her throat.

(Rachel is checking out Bevin’s necklace.)

BEVIN: Brooke gave it to me.

(Brooke goes over to the table of food to set her tray down. Haley turns to her.)

HALEY: So considering I’m an honor student, how many years do you think I would get if I stabbed someone say Peyton with like a giant fork or…

BROOKE: Ok, let’s not keep giant object around the house. I know this whole thing with Nathan sucks for you now but right now I need your help bringing Rachel to her knees. Yes I know it’s ironic. So here’s my plan, I’m going to snipe her draft pick. She needs to know what it feels like when the shoe is up the other ass.

HALEY: Okay, what do you need from me? And do not say my shoes.

BROOKE: No, Rachel picks fifth, you pick fourth. I need you to pick Lucas so no one else gets him while I’m screwing her over.

HALEY: What about Bevin? She’s third.

BROOKE: Yeah but she’s picking Skills. We got a deal?

HALEY: Yeah well if I can’t pick Nathan I might as well take Lucas.

(They pinky swear on it.)

HALEY: Deal.

[INT. RECORDING STUDIO-EVENING]

(Chris is playing the piano when Nathan enters.)

CHRIS: Well, well. What do you say partner?

NATHAN: (puts money on the piano) Here’s half the money for Haley’s studio time. I’ll get you the rest next week?

(Nathan goes to leave.)

CHRIS: You ever heard of Robert Johnson, Nate?

NATHAN: Sure, he’s a forward for the Oregon Ducks.

CHRIS: (laughs) No, Robert Johnson was a blue’s man back in the thirties. The story goes he made a deal with the Devil for the gift of music. Kind of like you’re doing for Haley.

Nathan: So what you’re supposed to be the Devil?

CHRIS: No man, I’m Robert Johnson. You’re the Devil.

NATHAN: So how’s Haley doing?

CHRIS: Not well. How are you and Haley doing?

NATHAN: Let’s get something straight. I’m here to talk about Haley and her music not Haley and me.

CHRIS: You still don’t get it do you? They’re the same thing.

CUT TO:

[INT. KAREN’S CAFÉ – COUNTER – EVENING]

(Karen and Lucas are getting ready to eat dinner. The truck with Dan’s image on it is still parked out front.)

LUCAS: Can’t we just pull the blinds or something?

KAREN: Nope. Keeps me focused on how badly I need to b*at him.

LUCAS: Yeah, I saw him today. He’s not going to make it easy on you, you know.

KAREN: Is that what he told you?

LUCAS: More or less.

KAREN: You know Lucas I…I may not have the money or the connections that Dan has but what I do have is my reputation as a good upstanding person who raised a decent enough son on her own. (Lucas wipes his mouth on his shirt.) And uh, apparently skipped the part of table manners and that’s what the voters will see.

LUCAS: Yeah, but is it worth it?

KAREN: You know if you want to change something, you have to be willing to work hard at it.

LUCAS: But you do work hard, Mom. I mean come on you run two businesses.

KAREN: Well, sometimes when you’re done working hard, you have to work a little harder.

(Lucas gets up to leave.)

KAREN: Where you off too?

LUCAS: To work a little harder.

CUT TO:

[INT. BROOKE’S PLACE- EVENING]

(Brooke is standing in front of the girls.)

BROOKE: And now the moment everyone’s been waiting for the first Annual Tree Hill fantasy boy draft. P. Sawyer you’ve got the first pick and you are on the clock. Who’s this year’s first draft pick going to be?

PEYTON: I’ll pick Mouth McFadden.

BROOKE: Mouth goes to Peyton

MOUTH: (outside window) Number one draft pick baby, WOOHOO.

BROOKE: Hey Mouth.

BEVIN: Okay Brooke, you’re next.

HALEY: Oh Brooke, we need to talk since Peyton…

BROOKE: No, not now Haley. I pick Chris Keller, Ha.

ASHLEY: Chris Keller goes to Brooke. Ahh.

BROOKE: Bevin you’re next.

BEVIN: Uh, actually I…

RACHEL: There’s been a trade.

BROOKE: What?

RACHEL: Well you said we could trade so Bevin traded me her number three pick and I pick Lucas.

Girl: Lucas Scott to Rachel.

BROOKE: She..What?

Haley: I pick Nathan.

BROOKE: Wait.

Girl: Nathan’s got Haley.

BEVIN: I get Skills.

Girl: Skills to Bevin.

BROOKE: Wait(!)

(The rest of the girls shout out who they want.)

BEVIN: This is awesome. Everyone got who they wanted. Good idea Brooke.

RACHEL: (whispers to Brooke) super.

(The girls are all sitting around enjoying the food and music. Brooke goes up and grabs Bevin by the arm.

BROOKE: Bevin. What the hell was going through your size two brain?

BEVIN: You said we could trade.

BROOKE: Why is she wearing my necklace?

BEVIN: Because that was part of the trade.

BROOKE: Okay, why would you trade your third pick and my necklace for Rachel’s fifth pick?

BEVIN: Uh, duh, Brooke, five is more then three. (pause) Oh, made total sense when Rachel explained it.

BROOKE: Right.

(Brooke goes over to Rachel extremely angry.)

BROOKE: Hey(!) That’s my necklace.

RACHEL: No, it’s mine and I guess it comes with a matching boyfriend.

BROOKE: Oh, you’re not getting Lucas.

RACHEL: Oh, really? Anyone who’s caught breaking the rules will be kicked off the squad so I guess I can have your Captain spot too.

(Brooke steps towards her and she turns around quickly)

RACHEL: (to girls) I think Brooke deserves a great big round of applause for orchestrating this whole event.

(Everyone claps and Rachel turns back to Brooke.)

RACHEL: Anything else of yours I want, I’ll let you know.

(They all thank Brooke as they leave and Haley goes over to Peyton.)

HALEY: Hey, um, I just want to say thank you for not picking Nathan.

PEYTON: It wasn’t me, it was you. It’s about time you started to fight for your husband.

(Peyton leaves.)

CUT To:

[INT.-KAREN’S CAFÉ-EVENING]

(Karen and Deb are cleaning up and closing things down. The TV comes on with a campaign of Dans. It shows a clip of Karen when she got mad and smashed a chair through a window.)

KAREN: (clicks off the TV mad) It’s time to go negative.

CUT TO:

[INT. WHITEY DURHAM FIELD HOUSE – THE GYM – EVENING]

(Lucas is doing the suicides run by himself trying to improve his time)

CUT TO:

[EXT.-KAREN’S CAFÉ-EVENING]

(Deb and Karen are standing outside by a parking meter. A lady comes up and the meter expires.)

LADY: Thanks for the coffee.

KAREN: Anytime.

(Her and Deb laugh.)

LADY: (to guys in Dan’s truck) Alright, lets move it out. (she bangs the side of the truck with her hand.)

CUT TO:

[INT-BROOKE’S PLACE-EVENING]

(Brooke has her laptop out entering the Fantasy Boy draft results in it. She pauses next to Rachel’s name not wanting to put Lucas next to it. She finally puts it in.)

[For those of you who want to know all the picks they are: Peyton-Mouse, Brooke-Chris, Rachel-Lucas, Haley-Nathan, Bevin-Skills, Ashley-Fede, Kenzie-Narayan, Daniella-Zack, Victoria-Dustin, Chelsea-Daniel, and Tamara-Greg.]

CUT TO:

[INT-PEYTON’S BEDROOM-EVENING]

(She puts the finishing touches on her sketch of her and her mother. Then she hangs it on the wall at the top of her bed. It goes next to the gravestone picture and then after that is the one of her as a baby.]

LUCAS V.O.:

OUT of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be,

For my unconquerable soul,

(Haley puts up Scott next to her last name on the map.)

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced or cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

(Nathan picks up his bag in the locker room.)

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid

It matters not how strait the gate,

(Lucas finishes his su1c1de runs in time.)

How charged with punishments is the scroll,

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

~~William Henley Invictus~~

FADE TO BLACK:

END CREDITS ROLL: