03x16 - With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

03x16 - With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept

Post by bunniefuu »

(A black screen appears with words that Lucas’ voice-over reads.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Please stay tuned for important resource information following the conclusion of tonight’s episode. Parental discretion is advised.

(The words fade to be replaced by the show’s title ‘One Tree Hill’. With a sombre backing soundtrack.)

FADE TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CLASSROOM – DAY]

(Extreme close-up of the screen as only Jimmy’s eyes are seen on the screen.)

JIMMY: (on the screen) So, you wanna know what it’s like in my high school?

FADE TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Close-up of a tip of a cigarette as it is lit with a lighter. The camera pans up to show that it’s Jimmy. The sh*t focuses on his eyes again. All of the noises are magnified.)

(The sh*t cuts back and pans around him as he stands back and watches everyone while smoking.)

JIMMY: (v.o) Well, the truth is, there’s not a single person in this place worth remembering.

(He watches the kids laughing and having fun.)

JIMMY: (v.o) You see, the people here are fake, (cut back to him smoking) (pause) so they stick to their cliques to hide it.

(The camera focuses on the students again.)

JIMMY: (v.o) I mean, the stoners are medicated,-

(Cut to a group of athletes greeting each other.)

JIMMY: (v.o) -the honour students are afraid. The jocks,… well,… they’re jocks, man.

(The camera cuts back to Jimmy who is staring at all of them harshly.)

JIMMY: (v.o) They’ll peak at seventeen and their cheerleader-

(Cut to a table where Bevin, Rachel and some of the other cheerleaders are sitting and laughing.)

JIMMY: (v.o) -girlfriends will be fat and lonely by twenty-one.

(The camera cuts back to him as he blinks.)

JIMMY: (v.o) Losers! (pause)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CLASSROOM – EVENING]

(The camera is back close-up on the screen so that only Jimmy’s eyes are visible.)

JIMMY: (one the screen) Everyone here is a loser. (pause) And the truth is; (sh*t cuts to his mouth) every day I have to come to this school, is one less day I have to come back.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – GROUNDS – DAY]

(Jimmy looks sideways and blows smoke out of his mouth. He looks around a bit.)

JIMMY: (to himself) Here, we go.

(Jimmy walks away and the camera pans down to the cigarette which he dropped on the floor – still burning.)

(Birds-eye view of all the students milling around on the school grounds.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – CORRIDOR – DAY]

(Students are hanging around the corridors; talking to their friends and laughing. Jimmy walks into the corridor, head bent low and not making eye-contact with anyone. He stops and looks down as a book is kicked across the floor. His gaze travels up and he sees a bunch of guys emptying out his locker and throwing things around.)

(Russ takes out a hat and tries it on before throwing it to the floor. They smirk as they see Jimmy and walk to him.)

FLASHBACK TO:

[INT. TRIC – BACKROOM – EVENING]

(Russ and his friends round up on Jimmy after cornering him alone.)

RUSS: Hey,-

(Jimmy turns and looks at Russ.)

RUSS: -I heard what you said on the time capsule.

(One of Russ’ friends holds Jimmy steady so that Russ can lay into him.)

JIMMY: Look, Russ.

(Russ punches Jimmy hard in the stomach. He pulls back and swings again.)

END OF FLASHBACK:

HARD CUT TO:

(Russ continues to walk to Jimmy and shoves him hard in the shoulder as he passes.)

RUSS: Nice locker, loser.

(Jimmy grits his teeth and looks at the destruction Russ and his friends made of his locker. He decides, turns slowly and pulls a g*n out from the waistband of his jeans.)

(The sh*t switches to slow-motion as Jimmy raises the g*n. Brooke and Peyton round the corner and stop at the door that Jimmy’s aiming at. They both realise what’s happening at the same time and Brooke grabs hold of Peyton’s hand.)

(Brooke and Peyton, looking terrified, duck. Russ and his friends notice the reaction and turn back slowly. They see Jimmy with the g*n and duck too.)

(Jimmy lets off a sh*t and it shatters the glass of the door. The glass falls away. The noise alone shocks Jimmy and his expression changes to one of complete fear.)

(Students scream and run and Jimmy quickly slips the g*n into his pocket. He turns and dashes away.)

(Brooke scrambles back on the floor as students burst through the shattered door, trying to escape. She covers her head. Someone picks her up from behind and helps her to get out.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – ADMINISTRATION OFFICE – DAY]

(Principle Turner bursts into the office and points at a secretary.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (urgently) Call nine-one-one.

(He reaches for and presses the button on the microphone which is linked to every tannoy in the school. He leans down and speaks into it.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: Code red, code red. This is not a drill.

CUT TO:

(Students are running crazily down the corridors.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (v.o) All students to a designated lock-down area.

(Students continue to scream and run around like crazy.)

(The camera focuses on the door of the AV room.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (v.o) This is a code red.

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – AV ROOM – DAY]

(Mouth is sitting at the desk, watching two computer screens playing the recent basketball match. He’s wearing headphones and can’t hear anything of what is going on outside. He types quickly, oblivious.)

CUT TO:

(Students are still running around.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (v.o) Repeat; this is a code red. Please-

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – TUTOR CENTER – DAY]

(sh*t of feet as students run into the tutor center.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (v.o) -go to a designated lock-down area or exit the school-

(Haley holds the door open for some students before shutting and locking it.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: (v.o) -immediately.

(She turns the lights off and sinks to the floor along with the other students. She looks ahead, terrified. She looks sideways at the students. Only Skills is seen in the sh*t.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – PARKING LOT – DAY]

(Students are still shouting and running. Brooke is running among them but she is also frantically looking around.)

BROOKE: Peyton! (looks around some more) Peyton! (runs) Peyton!

(Brooke runs away from the school. Teachers are yelling at the students to get away.)

STUDENT: Hey, Jake, let’s go. Come on, man.

(Whitey steps off the bus and looks around him at the madness.)

WHITEY: What the hell?!

(Lucas gets off the bus and Nathan follows closely behind. Lucas spots Brooke and runs to her. She runs to him, desperately trying not to panic.)

BROOKE: (grabs hold of his arms) Somebody has a g*n inside and they’re sh**ting. (points back)

(Nathan hears her and panics.)

NATHAN: (shouting aloud) HALEY! (runs off-screen)

WHITEY: My god! Everybody back on the bus!

BROOKE: (desperately) I lost Peyton. I don’t know where she is. (Nathan looks back at them) I mean, she was right there and a sh*t went off and now she’s gone and I-

LUCAS: (forces her back around) Look, wh-a-hey-hey, Peyton was sh*t?

BROOKE: No, I don’t know! She was right behind me; we were by the library!

NATHAN: (shocked) Haley’s in the tutor center.

WHITEY: ALL STUDENTS ON THE BUS! CODE RED, NOW!

(Nathan shakes his head discretely and Lucas notices.)

WHITEY: LET’S MOVE! Come on.

(Nathan turns away.)

WHITEY: Nathan, get your ass on that bus!

(Nathan doesn’t reply. He turns and runs back towards the school. Lucas doesn’t think twice before letting go of Brooke and giving chase to his brother.)

LUCAS: I got him, Coach!

BROOKE: Luke!

LUCAS: (running backwards) Look, I’ll be right back. (runs after Nathan) NATHAN!

(Whitey stands with Brooke as he watches Nathan and Lucas run back. He’s lost as to what to do.)

WHITEY: Boys! Boys!

(Lucas catches up with Nathan on the grassy bit and tackles him to the floor. They roll over due to the force.)

NATHAN: Got off me, man!

(Nathan stands up quickly.)

NATHAN: Haley’s inside!

(Nathan runs into the school without another word and Lucas is left to stand up slowly and watch his younger brother run in.)

LUCAS: Nathan!

(Lucas only gives a brief look back before following Nathan.)

BROOKE: (rushes forward, scared) LUCAS!

(Whitey grabs hold of her and stops her from following. She struggles and continues to shout.)

BROOKE: LUCAS!

(Whitey forces her onto the bus.)

WHITEY: Get on. (to the driver) Gary, ride; go, go!

(The bus pulls out instantly and Brooke is left to find a seat and watch as everything she cares about is left inside the school. Lucas is seen running back into the school.)

CUT TO:

(The camera pans across the floor of the school. Bags are strewn across it, abandoned in the mad rush and fear. Through the window, students can be seen running away.)

CUT TO:

(The camera pans left and Haley comes into view.)

HALEY: (takes a deep breath) OK, everybody ju-just stay down and stay calm. We’re safe here.

(The camera continues to pan and shows Skills, Rachel, Marcus, Abby Brown and Jimmy Edwards. His expression in none too kind. The camera zooms in on him slowly as he eyes them.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(The corridor is a mess. Books and bags are lying everywhere.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – WHITEY’S OFFICE – DAY]

(Lucas enters the office and sees Nathan picking up a heavy baseball bat. Lucas looks at him.)

LUCAS: You got a plan?

NATHAN: Yeah, I’m going to the tutor center and I’m gonna get Haley.

(Lucas scoffs and shuts the door.)

NATHAN: What’re you doing?

LUCAS: Your plan sucks!

NATHAN: You got a better one?

LUCAS: Yeah, we turn around and let the police handle this.

NATHAN: The police are gonna wait in game plan. They always do that.

LUCAS: (glares and walks forward) And what, you’re gonna stop a b*llet with a baseball bat? Hey, Nathan, Nathan, (pause) someone has a g*n in here.

NATHAN: (grits his teeth) Lucas, I know that. OK? I know this is stupid… but what if something happens to Haley, huh?

(Lucas looks away. She’s his best friend.)

NATHAN: What if we walk away and something happens to Haley? (pause) You gonna live with that?

LUCAS: (pause) Most heroes are dead, Nate.

(Nathan looks at his brother steadily.)

NATHAN: It’s Haley, Lucas.

(Lucas looks hard at Nathan.)

MARCUS: (v.o) We need to get outta here.

CUT TO:

(All six students are sitting in a line against the wall. Haley’s facing them all and Jimmy is sitting a decent distance from the others.)

HALEY: No, we need to stay put. That’s (points out) procedure; lockdown. We have to wait until it’s safe. (laughs nervously)

MARCUS: (nods) And I’m saying lockdown is crap. (pause) If whoever’s out there is a student; they know where we’re at.

RACHEL: What about the windows? I mean, we could break the windows and get out.

HALEY: No, that’s-it’s-it just goes to the courtyard – it’s enclosed. (shakes her head) It’s for light.

SKILLS: Yeah, besides, we need to break in all the windows; all we do is draw attention to ourselves.

MARCUS: You don’t think a locked door is gonna tell whatever psycho is out there that we’re in here?

JIMMY: Why would you call him psycho?

(Marcus, Abby and Haley look at Jimmy. All the attention is on him again and the fear returns.)

MARCUS: (pause) Something to do with them trying to k*ll us all, fat ass.

(Jimmy swallows at the comment. He doesn’t say anything.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – ENTRANCE – DAY]

(sh*t of the floor where the glass broke. There is now blood mingled with the glass. The camera pans up slightly and Lucas and Nathan’s legs come into view.)

LUCAS: (whispering) Look, there’s blood.

(They creep closer to get a better look. Nathan holds the bat ready. Lucas has his own bat.)

LUCAS: Nate, it could be Peyton.

(Lucas looks back and Nathan shakes his head.)

NATHAN: You don’t know that.

LUCAS: (worried) Well, it’s someone. (pause) The library doors don’t lock. It’s not safe.

NATHAN: Lucas, I have to find Haley.

LUCAS: (nods) I know.

(Lucas smiles and Nathan knows that he’s letting him go. Nathan nods, turns and starts walking.)

LUCAS: Nathan?

(Nathan looks back. Lucas tries to say something but he can’t form the words. Nathan gets it.)

NATHAN: Yeah,… you too, man.

(Lucas smiles and Nathan walks away. Lucas backs into the broken door and walks off screen. Nathan approaches the tutor center carefully.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – OUTSIDE THE LIBRARY – DAY]

(Lucas’ legs appear in the sh*t of the floor. There’s also blood there. Lucas follows the patches. He looks around before entering the library. He creeps around; looking into the library from the balcony but it seems deserted.)

(He sighs slightly and creeps around the top level; past the computers and book shelves. He squints and hears a noise. He steels himself, moves fast and tries to hit the person around the bookshelf with the bat.)

(Peyton’s sitting there, thinks his going to hit her and cries out. He stops and she cries, terrified. Lucas drops the bat and rushes to her.)

LUCAS: Peyton. Hey! Hey, it’s me. (touches her)

PEYTON: (crying) Ow, my leg! I got cut by some glass. Lucas, I lost Brooke. I’m sorry.

LUCAS: She’s fine. She’s fine but (looks down) OK, you’re not. Um,… oh, we gotta get you somewhere safe, come on.

(He grabs her hand and tries to help her up. She protests.)

PEYTON: No, I can’t. (desperately) I can’t walk! (crying) I tried(!)

(She looks at him sadly and he touches her shoulder.)

LUCAS: (soothingly) OK.

(It just makes Peyton cry more. He looks over the shelf.)

LUCAS: (resolutely) OK. (stands)

PEYTON: (panicked, grabs his hand) No, don’t leave me, please(!) Please.

LUCAS: (holding her face) No, look, hey. I’m gonna go block the entrance, alright? We’ll… we’ll just… hide. (frowns)

(Peyton nods.)

LUCAS: Alright? We’ll wait this out, OK?

(Peyton continues to nod.)

LUCAS: Listen to me, OK?

PEYTON: (weakly) Um-hm.

LUCAS: I’m not leaving you, Peyton.

(She keeps crying.)

LUCAS: I won’t.

(Peyton looks down. Lucas touches her hair.)

LUCAS: I won’t, OK?

(She nods and leans against him, trying to be strong. The camera cuts back to a full-sh*t and shows blood in the carpet and on her Converse. She holds onto Lucas’ hand tightly.)

LUCAS: OK?

(She nods at him.)

CUT TO:

(Nathan walks down the deserted, messy corridor, still holding his baseball bat. He stands against the wall when he hears someone walking down the corridor. He grabs them and pushes them up against the wall. It’s Mouth.)

MOUTH: (confused) Dude, what’s happening?!

(Nathan covers his mouth to keep him quiet.)

NATHAN: Mouth! What’re you doing here?

(Nathan lets go of Mouth and he starts speaking again, urgently.)

MOUTH: I was in the AV-

(Nathan covers his mouth again to stop him from speaking so loudly.)

NATHAN: (looking around) Shush.

(Mouth closes his eyes and Nathan slowly lets go. He starts again, quieter.)

MOUTH: I was in the AV room and I come out and it’s like ‘Dawn of the Dead’.

NATHAN: (sighs) Mouth, don’t say ‘dead’. Someone’s got a g*n in the school.

MOUTH: (stunned) What?(!)

NATHAN: (nods) Yeah.

MOUTH: (worried) We gotta get outta here.

NATHAN: Yeah, you gotta get outta here. I gotta go get Haley.

(Nathan turns and looks down another corridor. Mouth looks down and thinks. He sees the bat in Nathan’s hand. Nathan spins it nervously.)

MOUTH: (nervously) I’ll stay with you.

NATHAN: (b*at) Let’s go.

(Nathan walks down the corridor and Mouth creeps along behind him.)

CUT TO:

(Everyone is still sitting against the wall. Skills is on his phone.)

SKILLS: No signal. All circuits busy.

(Marcus scoffs and looks at his own phone. There’s a sound on the other end of the door. Marcus stands up, alarmed. They all look at the door handle. Haley looks at the door apprehensively. A driver’s licence is shoved under the door.)

(Haley frowns, leans over and looks at the picture. Her eyes widen and she smiles.)

HALEY: (stands with the card) It’s Nathan! (approaches the door)

(Marcus walks to her quickly. He grabs her by the arms.)

MARCUS: No way(!)

(Skills stands too.)

MARCUS: We don’t know it’s him.

(Haley shows him the card.)

HALEY: No, it’s his driver’s licence(!)

MARCUS: So how do you know that somebody didn’t k*ll him and take his ID?

(Haley exhales and looks at him, panicked.)

MARCUS: OK, you’re the one that said this was a lock-down. Every man for himself.

(Haley looks away, torn.)

RACHEL: She can’t leave him out there!

(Abby Brown stands up.)

ABBY BROWN: Don’t open it.

(Everyone spares her a brief glance.)

MARCUS: You’re not opening that door.

HALEY: (distracted) Shut up, shut up! (sighs) Just…

(She leans down close to the door.)

HALEY: (low) Always.

NATHAN: (on the other side) And forever.

(Haley sighs in relief and stands back.)

HALEY: It’s him.

(She turns the lock and Marcus lunges for the door.)

MARCUS: No way. Get away from th-

(Skills grabs hold of him and shoves his against the wall.)

SKILLS: If she says it’s him, it’s him. (to Haley) Open the door.

(Skills lets go of Marcus and Haley opens the door. Nathan stands there with Mouth. He sees her and walks in.)

NATHAN: On my god. Come here.

(He hugs her.)

NATHAN: You OK?

(Mouth closes the door and locks it again.)

HALEY: Yeah, what’s going on out there?

NATHAN: I don’t know. We’re getting outta here, OK? All of us. Let’s go.

JIMMY: (o.s) Don’t!

(Everyone stops and looks at him slowly. He’s standing there with a g*n held out to all of them. The fear is back in his face. Haley reaches back for Nathan. Mouth gapes and backs away too.)

JIMMY: … Nobody’s going anywhere.

(Abby Brown moves closer to the wall and eyes the g*n with dread. Each of the students support looks of mingled fear and panic. The sh*t cuts back to Jimmy as he holds the g*n out.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(The camera pans right to show Jimmy still in the same position, holding the g*n and pointing it at the people in the room.)

JIMMY: (gritting his teeth) Get away from the door(!)

(Mouth can’t believe it.)

MOUTH: (confused) Jimmy?

JIMMY: (angrily) Do it, Mouth!

(Everyone moves away from the door and Nathan holds a hand out.)

NATHAN: Alright, alright. Just chill out, man.

JIMMY: Everyone get away from the door!

(Haley looks back. Mouth shakes his head in pity.)

MOUTH: Oh, Jimmy, what’d you do?

JIMMY: (ignoring Mouth) Move back, Skills.

SKILLS: Or what, you gonna sh**t me? We used to be friends, dawg.

JIMMY: Yeah, used to be.

SKILLS: So, it’s like that? Aight.

MOUTH: (scared) Jim, ya can’t do this.

JIMMY: (sadly) It’s a little late for that, Mouth.

ABBY BROWN: (tearfully) I can’t be here.

MARCUS: Look, man, just let us go. I’m sorry I called you ‘fat-ass’.

JIMMY: (angry) It’s a little late for that, too!

(His eyes are red and he takes a moment before addressing Nathan who is trying to shield Haley.)

JIMMY: How bout you, hero? (pause) Are you scared?!

NATHAN: (b*at) (nods) Yeah. I’m scared.

JIMMY: Good! Welcome to my world.

(He panics and turns away. He doesn’t know what to do.)

JIMMY: Alright.

(He walks around the teacher’s desk, still pointing the g*n, and opens one of the drawers. He grabs some tape and walks back.)

JIMMY: Alright, this is what we’re gonna do. (throws the tape at Nathan) You’re gonna tape a line down the center of the room.

(Nathan catches the tape and looks down at it. He looks slowly up at Jimmy.)

JIMMY: GO ON!

(Haley grabs hold of Nathan again.)

ABBY BROWN: (sobbing) Why’re you doing this?

JIMMY: You’re Abby Brown, right?

(She doesn’t answer and he takes it for assent.)

JIMMY: What’s my name?

ABBY BROWN: (scared as the g*n points only at her) Jim?

JIMMY: (harshly) My full name(!)

(She doesn’t know.)

JIMMY: Come on(!) Who am I?

ABBY BROWN: (crying) I don’t know.

RACHEL: You’re the guy from the time capsule.

HALEY: Jimmy Edwards! (looks at him pleadingly) You’re Jimmy Edwards. (shakes her head) And you’re a good guy. And you are better than this.

JIMMY: (losing the thread) Just shut up, all of you! SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN!

HALEY: Jimmy, seven hostages in the tutor center? That’s not you.

JIMMY: (notices her) What’re you doing? What’s in your pocket?

HALEY: (guiltily) Nothing.

JIMMY: WHAT’S IN YOUR POCK-

NATHAN: Hey, OK, (holds out the bat) stop pointing the g*n at her, alright?

HALEY: It’s just my phone, OK?

JIMMY: GIVE it to me. Throw it here.

(Haley throws him the phone, tears running down her face. Jimmy catches it and looks at the screen. It shows 911. The call has been connected for half a minute.)

JIMMY: (worried) Ah,… Haley. I used to like you.

(Nathan moves forward, worried for Haley as Jimmy answers the call.)

JIMMY: Hi, 911? Yeah, here’s the thing; if anyone comes even remotely close to this school, we start sh**ting students. (pause) You hear me?

(Mouth gapes at what Jimmy’s just said. Rachel looks sideways and Abby Brown continues to cry.)

JIMMY: You come in here, your kids die.

(He waits a b*at before throwing the phone against the far wall. It shatters. He turns back around quickly.)

JIMMY: Alright, I want everyone’s cell phones! Let’s GO!

(Everyone feels around for their phones.)

JIMMY: (to Rachel) And you, missy; pepper-spray, roll it over here.

(Everyone throws their phones to him. Rachel rolls the pepper-spray.)

JIMMY: The baseball bat too, come ON!

(Nathan gives up the bat. Rachel tosses her phone over last. Jimmy notices that Nathan didn’t throw a phone.)

JIMMY: Where’s your phone, Scott?

NATHAN: I don’t-I don’t have it with me.

(Jimmy retracts the g*n slightly; distrust written all over his face.)

NATHAN: You can check me if you want.

JIMMY: (b*at) Just tape the line.

(He points the g*n at Nathan. Nathan looks back at Haley before moving forward and doing as he’s told. Haley moves to Mouth, a hand to her mouth. Nathan sticks the end to the floor and pulls the roll back.)

GRAPHIC MATCH TO:

(The cops are putting up yellow crime tape to stop people from crossing it and going into the school. Reporters and people are standing around. Sirens blare in the distance.)

DAN: (o.s) You’re kidding me, right?

(Cut to Dan shadowing a completely pissed off principle. Police cars are everywhere.)

DAN: How the hell can a kid just waltz into a high school with a handgun? Where the hell’s the security? The metal detectors?

PRINCIPLE TURNER: Security guards carry night-sticks, Dan. Handguns scare people. They need probable cause to shake a kid down because, god forbid, we violate their rights.

(He stops and turns to Dan.)

PRINCIPLE TURNER: And as far as metal detectors go, the school board, which I believe you’re on, voted against them.

DAN: (nods) Voted against them – why?

PRINCIPLE TURNER: Because they make the school look unsafe.

(The camera pans up to a detective in the van. He’s on the phone but talking to the principle and Dan.)

DETECTIVE: Nine-one-one’s got a possible identification on one of the sh**t.

CUT TO:

[INT. THE GYM – SEATING AREA – DAY]

(A woman walks across the floor, looking frantic.)

MARY EDWARDS: Jimmy Edwards?!

(Another woman calls for her son.)

WOMAN: Phillip?! Phillip Wrench?!

(All of the students that were safely taken from the school are in the gym. Parents a milling around, looking for their children. The camera cuts to Brooke and zooms in.)

BROOKE: (tired) Look, I just wanna go home, OK?

(Her arms are crossed. She’s looking at a cop who is writing things down.)

COP: Not without a parent.

(Brooke rolls her eyes.)

BROOKE: But my parents don’t live here.

COP: (looks back uncaringly) Then I guess you’ll be here for a while.

(He walks away and Brooke pulls out her phone and starts dialling.)

BROOKE: (to herself) Come on, Lucas.

(She finishes dialling and holds the phone to her ear.)

(Jimmy’s mum is still looking for him.)

MARY EDWARDS: (tearfully) Jimmy Edwards?

(A cop comes up to her.)

COP2: Mary Edwards?

(She looks at him as he stops in front of her.)

MARY EDWARDS: Yes.

COP2: Could you come with me, please?

MARY EDWARDS: (hopefully) Is my son OK? (smiles bravely)

COP2: Please listen; come with me, ma’am.

(Her smile falls. She looks as he walks away.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – THE LIBRARY – DAY]

(Close-up of Peyton’s bloody leg. Lucas touches it carefully and moves a bit of her torn jeans. She cries out in pain. Lucas winces.)

PEYTON: (sobbing) God(!)

(He looks ahead worriedly.)

LUCAS: You’re bleeding pretty good; we’re gonna have to put some pressure on it.

PEYTON: Luke? (pause) It was your friend.

(Lucas looks at her.)

PEYTON: The one from the time capsule.

(She’s still crying.)

PEYTON: He had the g*n.

(Lucas looks on in shock.)

PEYTON: …But he didn’t look evil or angry. (pause) He just looked scared.

(She breathes hard and Lucas looks away.)

(Phones ring off-screen.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy has his hand on the handle of the open drawer. All five phones are in there and they are all ringing simultaneously. Jimmy slams the drawer shut.)

(Mouth’s head jerks and he looks up. He is completely defeated. Everybody is sitting at a seat.)

(Jimmy walks around, still pointing the g*n.)

JIMMY: Alright, nobody crosses that line! (points to the taped line)

(Rachel looks at him; scared.)

JIMMY: If anybody does…

(Skills sits there and listens. Abby Brown is leaning against a filing cabinet, sitting on the floor.)

JIMMY: … just don’t.

HALEY: Or what, Jim?

(Haley and Nathan are sitting together next to the round tables. They are separated from the rest.)

HALEY: Would you really do that? Would you sh**t us?

(Phones are still ringing.)

JIMMY: Don’t talk to me, Haley.

HALEY: Coz I don’t think that you would.

JIMMY: Right. When’s the last time we hung out?

(Jimmy turns and points the g*n at Mouth.)

JIMMY: You’re as bad as my best friend Mouth who totally blew me off!

(Mouth looks at him with pain in his eyes. Jimmy looks around nervously. Mouth is sitting with Rachel.)

MOUTH: (tearfully shakes his head) You didn’t wanna do anything.

JIMMY: You tell yourself that but you changed and you know it(!)

(He waves the g*n around.)

JIMMY: You became just like the rest of them.

RACHEL: (shakes her head) Don’t do that. (almost crying) Don’t make him feel guilty for living his life. This is not his fault. (pause) This is your fault!

JIMMY: (glaring angrily) No, it’s your fault! You think this is what I wanted? (pause) What, you think I… I got up today and wanted this?! I just wanted it to stop.

(The camera angle changes so that now there is only Skills and Jimmy in the sh*t. Rachel looks at him sadly.)

JIMMY: This is kinda screwed up, huh, Skills?

SKILLS: It’s more than ‘kinda’, dawg.

(Skills is sitting at the same table as Mouth and Rachel.)

SKILLS: For real.

MARCUS: We could charge you.

(Jimmy looks sideways at Marcus.)

MARCUS: You know?

(Marcus is leaning against the wall and walks slowly towards Jimmy.)

MARCUS: We all charge you at once; (shakes his head) no way you’d sh**t us all.

(Jimmy looks at him pityingly.)

JIMMY: Yeah, you’re probably right, but… who’s gonna be first?

(He slowly moves the g*n around, trying to pick a person.)

JIMMY: Besides, even if you get past me, the others will get you.

(Abby Brown looks at him, terrified. She’s not looking well.)

HALEY: Are there others, Jim?

(Nathan worries about her lack of fear.)

NATHAN: No, no, no. (looks at Jimmy) I was out there. (pause) It’s just you.

JIMMY: You think so? (pause) You really think I’m the only one?

(Jimmy walks forwards, aiming the g*n at Nathan.)

JIMMY: Then ask yourself this; (Haley turns away) you ever treat someone like crap in this school, or left anyone out? You ever broken up with someone in the time it takes to… pass a note and disappear?! Or talk trash behind their back?!

(The sh*t trains on Haley.)

JIMMY: Or maybe you just ignored it all.

(Pan to Nathan.)

JIMMY: You know, while you worry about the big game-

(Nathan shakes his head. Cut to Rachel and Skills.)

JIMMY: -or the prom or…

(Pan to Mouth, sitting there angrily.)

JIMMY: or the bake sale for the pep-club.

(Cut back to Jimmy.)

JIMMY: YOU ask yourselves that! And then you tell me; ‘is anyone else out there’!

(Another phone starts up and the ringtone is irritating.)

JIMMY: (annoyed) Whose phone is that?!

MARCUS: It’s mine. (pause) It’s the ringtone for my mom.

(Jimmy slams the g*n onto the desk and yanks the drawer open.)

JIMMY: God, I hate this!

(He grabs the phone and pulls it out, answering it.)

JIMMY: (b*at) (into the phone) Yeah, open your eyes; you’re son’s a d*ck!

(He throws that phone against the wall too. Marcus looks at him in disbelief. Jimmy answers another ringing phone.)

JIMMY: Open your eyes!

(The throws that one against the wall too.)

(Mouth closes his eyes and lets his head fall against his hand. Haley imitates the move.)

(He says the same thing and throws each phone against the wall.)

(As Jimmy throws the last one, Marcus charges for him. Jimmy sees him and quickly grabs the g*n. He points the g*n straight at Marcus’ face.)

(Everyone stands up.)

JIMMY: Think I’m playing around?

NATHAN: Whoa, whoa. Just chill out.

HALEY: (terrified) Jimmy, please!

MARCUS: (coldly) You’re not gonna do it.

JIMMY: Shut up! Don’t push me.

NATHAN: Skills, help me out here.

(Skills walks forward.)

SKILLS: Yo, Marcus, man.

JIMMY: You better back him up!

RACHEL: LISTEN TO HIM!

MARCUS: YOU’RE NOT GONNA DO IT!

SKILLS: Marcus!

MARCUS: WHAT?!

(Marcus turns around and Skills punches him hard in the face. He goes down. Skills looks at Nathan.)

SKILLS: That help you out?

(Jimmy doesn’t know where to point the g*n.)

JIMMY: Behind the line!

(Everyone back away but Nathan and Skills take their time.)

JIMMY: Move, Skills.

(Skills doesn’t.)

JIMMY: Get behind the line!

(Abby Brown leans against the filing cabinet for support and cries. Everybody shuffles around. sh*t of the g*n as Jimmy points it.)

CUT TO:

(Dan walks forward, to a detective.)

DAN: Look, Greaves, with all do respect, (stops in front of him) you know where this Edwards kid is at; you need to get control of the situation and get somebody into that school. (points at the school)

GREAVES: We know where one kid’s at. (pause) Now, can you guarantee me that’s the only kid who walked into that school with a g*n this morning?

(Dan glares and the detective continues.)

GREAVES: Look, Mayor, this is a static situation – if and when it becomes active, we will intervene. But until then… there’s a mandated procedure; we secure the area, we wait for the crisis negotiator and we pray to god that Tree Hill High doesn’t become just another catchphrase that people only whisper about for the rest of time.

(The detective walks away. Dan watches him. Keith stops next to Dan.)

KEITH: Is it true? Is it… is it Jimmy Edwards?

(Dan nods.)

DAN: One of them.

(Keith sighs and shakes his head.)

KEITH: I know him. He’s-he’s not a bad kid.

(Dan spares his brother a look for the first time.)

DAN: (bluntly) He is now.

(Dan walks away this time, leaving Keith watching after him. Keith sighs again and walks to Karen who is distraught, leaning against the van.)

KEITH: Hey(!)

(Karen looks at him before looking down again. Keith puts a hand on her shoulder.)

KAREN: (bravely) I-I don’t even know what Lucas is wearing. Um,… the policeman asked and… (sobs) I couldn’t even tell him what Lucas was wearing(!) (cries more) I didn’t even get a… a chance to say goodbye(!)

KEITH: You’re not gonna have to. (stands in front of her)

(Karen nods.)

KEITH: You’re not gonna have to.

(She sniffs and nods again; more sure this time. They hug and she still cries.)

JIMMY: (v.o) The truth is,-

CUT TO:

[INT. THE GYM – BLEACHERS – DAY]

(A laptop is on one of the bleachers and is playing Jimmy’s recording.)

JIMMY: -every day I have to come to this school… is one less day I have to come back.

(The sh*t cuts to show the person who owns the laptop – it’s a reporter who is currently on her phone.)

REPORTER: (into the phone) That’s excellent. I wanna air this with a live feed. I’ll get student reactions; their emotions. There’s gold here.

(A hand comes into view and shuts the laptop; cutting off Jimmy’s recording harshly. The camera pans up to show Brooke.)

BROOKE: A little insensitive, don’t you think?

REPORTER: (b*at) And you might be?

BROOKE: Brooke Davis – student council president.

(The reporter gives her cameraman a looks before standing with her mic.)

REPORTER: I’m here with student council president – Brooke Davis.

(Brooke looks away, disbelievingly, before walking forward.)

REPORTER: Brooke, can you put into words how you might be feeling about this tragedy? (holds the mic out)

(Brooke glares at her before her expression changes to sadness.)

BROOKE: You should be ashamed of yourself.

(Brooke walks away, leaving the reporter looking guilty.)

FADE TO BLACK:
COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(Mouth, Rachel and Skills are still sitting at the table. Abby is on the floor against the wall and Marcus is on the filing cabinet, with a drink.)

MARCUS: (to Jimmy) You might wanna duck.

(Jimmy’s smoking. He looks sideways.)

SKILLS: Nah, it’s just the reporters. We’re all part of this circus now.

NATHAN: Hey, can I ask you a question?

(Jimmy continues to smoke.)

NATHAN: What do you want to happen?

JIMMY: (exhales and shakes his head) What do I want to happen?! Uh,… yeah, (mocks) I-I wanna crap a million and a plane ticket to Bolivia!

RACHEL: Maybe you could just give up.

JIMMY: Ah, yeah, that’s it; I’ll just… call a do-over.

RACHEL: Why not? You didn’t hurt anybody. (pause) Did you?

(Jimmy takes another drag and looks away.)

MOUTH: (gently) Did you sh**t anyone, Jimmy?

(Jimmy puts the f*g out in the paperclip tub.)

JIMMY: I don’t know.

HALEY: You don’t have a record, Jim. You’re a good student and you’re a minor.

NATHAN: Yeah. Man, maybe this isn’t… as bad as you think.

(Nathan quite obviously doesn’t believe that. Jimmy looks around. Marcus laughs.)

MARCUS: You’re kidding, right?

(Abby Brown is looking a lot worse.)

MARCUS: The guy sh*t up a school!

SKILLS: (looks back pointedly) Would you shut up, man?!

MARCUS: You shut up! I’m not lying for him.

(Jimmy glares at him.)

MARCUS: Pointed a g*n at my head and threatened to k*ll me. I hope they fry his ass.

ABBY BROWN: Hey, what’s wrong with you?

(Mouth looks back at her.)

ABBY BROWN: (crying) He’s just a kid. We’re all… just kids and we just have this life and the things you say and do; we feel that(!)

(Marcus looks at her and rolls his eyes.)

ABBY BROWN: How can you have so much hate in your heart? (pause) How can you act like is doesn’t matter? It does matter!

(Jimmy looks away sadly.)

ABBY BROWN: What happened to us, huh? We’re just… kids! We can’t be like this. (shakes her head) It’s not possible(!) (breaks down)

(Haley looks at her with tears in her eyes.)

RACHEL: Seven-hundred days.

(Cut to Rachel.)

RACHEL: High school. (pause) Out of twenty or thirty thousand. (pause) Can’t you see past that?!

(Jimmy looks away.)

RACHEL: It’s only seven-hundred days.

JIMMY: Yeah, and how many of these days… do I get back? (pause) Do I get back the days I got spit on? (pause) Or the day I learned to look at the floor when I walk the halls?

(His voice is hard and Rachel looks down.)

JIMMY: Or how bout the day my dad came to pick me up and saw me getting my ass kicked on the quad, and realised his son was a loser?!

(Mouth looks down.)

JIMMY: (sadly) You ever see the look in your father’s eyes when he realises that?

(Nathan shakes his head in pity.)

JIMMY: Do I get that day back? (inhales) Coz I saw that same look the day he left me and my mom(!)

(Jimmy looks away briefly. Abby Brown is still against the wall; crying silently.)

NATHAN: That sucks, man.

(Abby looks at him.)

NATHAN: I’m sorry.

JIMMY: (scoffs) It’s great, you’re sorry. (pause) Well you can forget it! This ain’t… breakfast club! You know, we’re not all gonna… fire up a joint and be pals, I mean, let’s face it, this is the most any of us (Rachel shies away) have talked in four years! And we all know if I don’t have this g*n, it never happens.

(Jimmy shakes the g*n manically.)

MARCUS: Look, people suck, OK?

(Everyone looks down.)

MARCUS: It’s just high school, man.

JIMMY: … Yeah, there’s always college, right?

MOUTH: (nods) MIT. Remember, Jim?

JIMMY: (closes his eyes) They rejected me. And you know why? Not enough activities.

(Mouth looks away.)

JIMMY: Yeah, I guess Tree Hill fight club doesn’t count.

NATHAN: You know, one school is not the end of the world.

JIMMY: Yeah, it is for me. It’s the end of my world.

MARCUS: So, what; all this because you didn’t get into college? All this because you’re not popular?

JIMMY: No. (pause) All this because I’m tired of it.

(Confused, Jimmy turns away, still pointing the g*n at his hostages.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas and Peyton are still hiding behind one of the low bookshelves. Close-up of Peyton’s blood covered jeans and Converse. She’s covering it with Lucas’ shirt to stop the blood flow. Her head is lolling sideways and she’s a lot paler than before.)

PEYTON: (whispering weakly) I’m tired, Luke.

(Lucas looks at her.)

PEYTON: Are you tired?

LUCAS: (concerned) Yeah, but you gotta stay awake, alright?

(She nods.)

LUCAS: Talk to me about… tell me about a good day.

PEYTON: (swallows and inhales) We had a snow day… sixth grade. Do you remember?

(Lucas nods and smiles. She smiles too.)

PEYTON: It was like this whole other world just came in overnight and took ours away. (pause) And Brooke, (smiles sadly) she came over. We made a snow fort – with a tunnel.

(Lucas turns away and laughs.)

PEYTON: (laughs weakly) And we stayed inside there all day. (pause) And it seemed so safe; like… everything was OK. Like everything our world was about to become; (shakes her head) maybe we could just stop it. (pause) And stay little kids for one more day. But then it got cold… (almost crying) kinda like now. (nods) They’re gonna come now.

LUCAS: (confused) Who?

PEYTON: (a tear drops down her cheek) All of them; the reporters… and the psychologists and the analysts and the so-called experts. And they’re gonna try to make sense of this.

(Lucas nods.)

PEYTON: But they’re not gonna be able to. (pause) And even if we do make it outta here, we’re always gonna carry it with us. (weakly) It’s never gonna be the same.

(She breathes harshly and focuses on him properly for the first time in a while.)

PEYTON: It’s not glass, is it? (pause) In my leg.

LUCAS: (cautiously) No, (shakes his head) it’s a b*llet. (pause) Now I may have to get you outta here, OK?

(She looks at him.)

LUCAS: But nothing will happen to you. (forcefully) I promise.

PEYTON: You’re always saving me.

LUCAS: (shakes his head) Somebody’s got to.

PEYTON: (looking away) If I say… (looks back) I love you, right now; will you hold it against me? Coz I’ve lost a lotta blood.

(Lucas smiles at her.)

PEYTON: … Come here.

(Lucas moves closer and she kisses him. She looks at him for a b*at.)

PEYTON: (smiling) Just in case you can’t keep your promise.

(Peyton’s eyes close and her breathing turns shallower.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

[INT. THE GYM – THE COURT – DAY]

(A girl stands there, hugging her parents. Brooke is sitting on the bench, watching the trio with her arms and legs crossed.)

REPORTER: That warm your heart?

(Brooke looks sideways at the approaching reporter before looking away uncaringly. The reporter stops beside her but remains standing.)

REPORTER: You think America would tune in for that every night?

BROOKE: Have you seen the ratings for 7th Heaven? (looks away again)

(The reporter sits next to her.)

REPORTER: We’re a country obsessed with tragedy, Brooke. So if examining tragedy makes me part of the problem, then so be it. (pause) But let me ask you something; how much time have you spent with Jimmy Edwards over the last four years?

(Brooke looks away.)

REPORTER: So maybe I’m not the only one who should be ashamed.

(Brooke tries to hold it back but her face crumbles and she starts to cry. The reporter stands up and leaves. Brooke looks up, trying to force the tears back down.)

MRS. FARRELL: Brooke?

(Brooke looks sideways again, at the woman who called her name. The woman stops at her.)

MRS. FARRELL: Hi, I’m Glenda’s mom. I was wondering if you’d seen her.

BROOKE: (lost) Um… I’m sorry. I don’t know anyone-

MRS. FARRELL: Glenda Farrell – she’s in your class. She said you were friends.

BROOKE: (b*at before faking) Glenda! I thought you said Brenda. I’m sorry. (stands) Um, (nods) sure. I’ll find her.

(Brooke walks past her before looking back for a b*at. She continues on her way. Mrs. Farrell looks on worriedly. Brooke walks out of the gym and holds onto one of the posts for support. She covers her mouth with her hand and cries. She sobs hard.)

FADE TO:

(Abby Brown is still leaning against the wall and looking a lot worse than before.)

ABBY BROWN: I need to get outta here.

MARCUS: (spares her a glance) Yeah, me too, can we get a hall pass?

(The school bell rings, signalling the end of the first class. Jimmy looks around. He’s sitting on the front desk.)

JIMMY: Has it only been an hour? It seems like it’s been longer than that.

HALEY: I have Current Events this period.

RACHEL: I think this counts.

(Nathan looks at Jimmy.)

NATHAN: Edwards, where’re you supposed to be right now?

JIMMY: (b*at) I’m supposed to be in AP English but I stopped going.

RACHEL: Why?

JIMMY: Well, because I missed a couple of weeks about three months ago and I couldn’t catch up. (pause) You see, one day, I spent a whole day in this school without a single person looking at me or talking to me. And I realised that was the best day I’d had in a long time; the day that nobody noticed me at all. The day I stopped being there. (nods) That was the best day. Well, that was kinda depressing so… I went home and took an antidepressant.

(Haley looks at him, eyebrows furrowed.)

JIMMY: And then I took another one… and then, for fun, I took twelve more.

(Mouth looks down before burying his head in his arms. Abby Brown cries silently.)

JIMMY: My mom and the doctors called it an accident. And then, two weeks later, when I got back to school; (pause as he shakes his head) nobody noticed. It was like I’d never left.

(Mouth finally looks up, his face red from crying.)

JIMMY: I guess that’s the up-side of not being there in the first place, right? Nobody misses you when you’re gone.

(Mouth shakes his head and cries.)

MOUTH: It’s not supposed to be this way. (pause) The artists and the scientists and poets; none of them fit in at seventeen. (pause) You’re supposed to get past it. (pause) Adults – they see kids k*lling kids and… they know it’s a tragedy because they used to be those kids; the bullies and the beaten and the loners.

(Jimmy cries and puts and arm to his face.)

MOUTH: You’re supposed to get past it.

(Jimmy rubs at his face.)

MOUTH: You’re supposed to live long enough to take it back(!)

(Mouth shakes his head.)

MOUTH: Just take it all back.

CUT TO:

[INT. THE GYM – BENCHES – DAY]

(Brooke walks up to a girl who is sitting alone on one of the bleachers.)

BROOKE: Excuse me.

(The girls look at her.)

BROOKE: Are you Glenda?

(The girl looks at her and smiles.)

GLENDA: Yeah.

BROOKE: (relieved) OK. Your mom’s here.

GLENDA: (b*at) Oh, I know. I just… (nods) I thought I’d stay here a little while longer.

(Interested, Brooke sits down.)

BROOKE: (shrugs) Why?

GLENDA: Sometimes I think she takes me for granted. (pause) Like it wouldn’t matter if I wasn’t here.

(Brooke looks at her, understanding.)

GLENDA: I guess I just wanted her to be afraid of losing me. You know? (pause) Feel it a little. (looks down) I don’t know, that’s pretty horrible, isn’t it?

BROOKE: Not really.

(Glenda smiles.)

GELNDA: Well, I guess I better go.

(She grabs her things and stands.)

BROOKE: Hey, Glenda?

(Glenda looks down at her.)

BROOKE: (shrugs sincerely) I’m really sorry I don’t know you.

GLENDA: (smiles and shrugs) That’s OK. I know you.

(Glenda walks away and Brooke pulls her phone out. She dials a number and holds the phone to her ear. The line clicks and connects.)

BROOKE: (into the phone) Hey, I’m really sorry to call.

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – QUAD – DAY]

(Frantic people, reporters, emergency personnel and the EMS teams are gathered outside the school. Pan left to show Karen nodding, on the phone.)

KAREN: OK.

(She shuts the phone and turns to Keith.)

KAREN: That was Brooke. They won’t release her without an adult but I-

KEITH: (nods) It’s OK. I’ll wait here.

(Karen looks at him imploringly.)

KEITH: Hey,… it’s gonna be OK. (pause) I’m not gonna let anything happen to our boy.

(Karen nods.)

KEITH: Come here.

(He pulls her into a hug. The sh*t pans around to Dan watching the pair.)

FADE TO BLACK:

COMMERCIAL SET:

FADE IN:

(A cop car with flashing lights is visible through the window. A helicopter can be heard flying above the school. Bags and books are still lying haphazardly across the floor.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy lets go of the blinds and steps away from the window.)

HALEY: You shouldn’t have come back for me. (looks at Nathan) I love you for doing it but… I wish you were safe.

NATHAN: (shakes his head) I don’t wanna be safe without you.

JIMMY: I heard what you said, Scott; (they both look at him) in the time capsule, about Haley.

(Nathan looks away.)

JIMMY: Guys like you can get away with it.

NATHAN: Oh, guys like me, huh? You can pass judgment about guys like me all you want but somebody stereotypes you and there’s gunplay?

JIMMY: Whatever. Your worst day in this place would be my best day.

NATHAN: OK, OK, maybe so. Alright, maybe it is easier for me and my friends. But, you know what, that doesn’t make what you’re doing right, does it? This is wrong, man; all of this. And I think you know that.

HALEY: Abby, (everyone looks at her) you OK?

(Abby Brown is looking sickly and moving back and forth slightly.)

ABBY BROWN: I’m fine.

(Haley frowns and stands. She looks back at Jimmy for a b*at before walking to Abby. She touches Abby’s forehead.)

HALEY: No, you’re not.

(Haley takes hold of Abby’s hand. She has a bracelet on which has ‘diabetes’ written across it.)

HALEY: (shocked) You’re diabetic(!)? Where’s your insulin?

JIMMY: What’s wrong with her?

HALEY: (glancing back) She’s diabetic! (turns back to Abby) Where is it?

ABBY BROWN: In my locker! Across the quad. (to Jimmy) I’m sorry.

JIMMY: Oh, no, no, no, (shakes his head) forget it(!) It’s impossible.

RACHEL: You could let her go.

SKILLS: Yeah, you got us, dawg.

HALEY: Jimmy, she’s really sick.

MOUTH: (nods) Let her go, Jim.

NATHAN: Yeah, let her go.

JIMMY: (torn) Unbelievable(!) (points the g*n again) Alright, just you, come on.

HALEY: (reaching for her) Come on, Abby.

(Haley and Mouth help her to the door. Marcus stands too.)

MARCUS: Hey, I’m sick too. Seriously, I feel terrible.

JIMMY: Stay behind the line!

(Mouth jumps and stops.)

JIMMY: (to Abby) Come on.

(Haley and Mouth back up as Abby walks forward. Jimmy opens the door and Haley and Mouth walk back to their seats. Abby stops at the doorway and turns to look at them – pale faced and sweaty.)

JIMMY: GO on before I change my mind!

(Abby visibly jumps.)

ABBY BROWN: I’m scared.

JIMMY: Of what?

ABBY BROWN: (tearfully) The others.

(Jimmy looks at her sadly.)

HALEY: Are there others, Jim?

JIMMY: (looks down at the taped line) Does this feel well planned to you?

(Everyone shuffles in their seats. Jimmy breathes harshly. He looks at Abby kindly.)

JIMMY: (whispers) Go.

(Abby smiles, backs up and moves down the corridor slowly. She looks into the tutor center as she walks. Finally she faces forward. Jimmy watches her and the sh*t cuts to slow motion. Abby starts running down the corridor.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton’s head drops on Lucas’ shoulder as she passes out.)

FADE TO:

[INT. THE GYM – THE COURT – DAY]

(Brooke hugs Karen and cries.)

FADE TO:

(Lucas is up at the entrance to the library. He pushes the heavy book drop which he has used to barricade the door shut.)

FADE TO:

(Abby Brown continues to run down the corridor and around the corner. Jimmy watches her longingly. In the background, Nathan is on his phone, texting. Jimmy turns back and spots Nathan.)

JIMMY: Hey!

(Nathan drops his phone and holds his hands up.)

JIMMY: (pointing the g*n at Nathan) What’re you doing? You said you didn’t have a phone! Who’d you call?!

(Jimmy looks back to the doorway, panicked.)

JIMMY: They better not come in here!

CUT TO:

(The sh*t tracks Keith as he walks across the quad to Dan. Dan is looking at his phone.)

DAN: I just got a text message from Nathan.

KEITH: Is he in there? Is Lucas with him?

(Dan shuts the phone and looks at Keith.)

DAN: He says this kid is the only one. They’re in the tutor center.

KEITH: And it’s Jimmy Edwards, huh?

(Dan nods and makes a noise of assent. Cut to cops dressed in full-out armed gear. The leader is pointing to a plan of action taped to the side of the van.)

KEITH: Look, Danny, I know we’ve had our differences lately but… you’ve gotta let me try to talk to him. I know this kid. If they go in there,… he’s gonna get spooked and this thing’s gonna turn out bad. Please, just let me try.

(Dan shakes his head decidedly.)

DAN: (walking away) No way. It’s too dangerous.

(Keith grabs hold of Dan’s arm.)

KEITH: Dan,… please. You can get me in there. Nobody has to know.

CUT TO:

(Jimmy bangs once on the shut door – hard.)

JIMMY: I should have known it was all about the g*n. (walks forward, pointing it manically) So what, do I have to pull the trigger again for you to take me seriously?

HALEY: No!

SKILLS: Edwards, come on, man.

JIMMY: (distraught) I promise you, whoever steps into that hallway… is gonna die(!)

(He points the g*n forward again.)

CUT TO:

[INT. TREE HILL HIGH – HALLWAY – DAY]

(Lucas carries an unconscious Peyton out of the library and into the hallway.)

LUCAS: (whispering to Peyton) Got ya.

(He steps away from the door and it bangs shut. Lucas winces at the loud noise.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy’s head jerks up as he hears the noise. Everybody listens quietly.)

JIMMY: (slightly psychotic) I guess that’s my cue.

(Jimmy walks to the door.)

RACHEL: (pleading) Don’t! (crying) Just stop(!) Change it. (shakes her head) Don’t do this.

(Jimmy closes his eyes, uncaring.)

MOUTH: Please, Jim. Just turn yourself in. I can go with you. This can’t be happening.

SKILLS: Yo, Edwards, man. It don’t have to be like this, dawg.

(Jimmy nods.)

JIMMY: Yeah, I think it does.

(Jimmy turns to the door, unlocks it and opens it.)

HALEY: (watching tearfully, speaking softly) Jimmy(!)

JIMMY: (looks at them) You know, they’re gonna remember me as a monster. (pause) I wonder how they’ll remember all of you.

(He backs out of the room and turns to face the corridor. Haley turns to Nathan and buries her face in his shoulder. Mouth cries openly.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy walks down the corridor slowly, g*n pointed towards the floor.)

CUT TO:

(Marcus looks forward, soberly. Skills watches the door where Jimmy just exited.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy continues to walk.)

CUT TO:

(Rachel has tear tracks down her face and they all wait.)

CUT TO:

(Lucas carries Peyton to the door where she was sh*t. He looks through the glass and sees no one. He opens the door. Jimmy sees him and points the g*n at them.)

JIMMY: Hey, where do you think you’re going?!

(Lucas stops at the door and looks at Jimmy worriedly.)

LUCAS: (tentatively) She’s bleeding.

JIMMY: THE SCHOOL’S ON LOCKDOWN!

LUCAS: I know, Jim. (pause) But if I don’t get her outta here, she’s gonna die.

JIMMY: (eternally sad) I didn’t mean to hurt her.

(Keith enters from a side door.)

KEITH: We know that, Jimmy.

JIMMY: (frantic) WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?! THE SCHOOL’S ON LOCKDOWN!

(Jimmy points the g*n at Keith.)

KEITH: Please, Jimmy, just… please just let them go and… you and I can talk about this. (pause) She’s hurt, Jimmy.

JIMMY: I didn’t mean it. (his face hardens)

(Keith nods and stands in front of Lucas and Peyton.)

KEITH: I know.

(Keith barely inclines his head.)

KEITH: Go on, Luke.

(Lucas starts to move and Keith moves with them, to keep them covered from Jimmy and the g*n. Jimmy doesn’t try to sh**t them. Lucas, Peyton and Keith reach the door.)

LUCAS: (slightly pleading) Keith-

KEITH: Luke, (sighs) I love you. Now go.

(Keith looks back at Jimmy who is shaking from fear. Lucas looks at his uncle and then at Jimmy. He waits for a b*at before walking out of the school.)

(Jimmy breaks eye contact.)

KEITH: Why don’t you just hand me that g*n,… Jimmy, (holds his hand out) and we can just follow them outta here.

JIMMY: (struggling) I can’t.

KEITH: Well, I’m not gonna leave you here, son. (walks forward) I’m not gonna do that and I’ll tell you why; (pause) because I’ve been there. I’ve bought the g*n… and I planned on using it, OK? I’ve been there. And I wanna tell you something;… it gets better.

JIMMY: Not this. (shakes his head) It can’t.

KEITH: It does, Jimmy. That-that pain in your stomach, that pain in your heart – it goes away(!) That voice in your head that’s-that’s saying there’s no way out; it’s wrong, Jimmy! Would you please,… please just believe me; it gets better.

JIMMY: (distraught) IT WON’T! NOT AFTER THIS! I CAN’T TAKE THIS BACK! I-I CAN’T ERASE THIS! (tearfully) She’s gonna die(!)

KEITH: (walks forward, shaking his head) You don’t know that.

(Jimmy cries.)

CUT TO:

[EXT. TREE HILL HIGH – ENTRANCE – DAY]

(Lucas pushes the door open with his back and steps out. The SWAT team aims g*ns at him and Peyton. One is positioned on the roof. Four converge around the pair.)

JIMMY: (v.o) I just… I wanted-

CUT TO:

(Jimmy’s still pointing the g*n at Keith.)

JIMMY: -I wanted them to leave me alone(!)

(Keith nods.)

JIMMY: I just… (looks up) I wanted them to like me(!)

(Jimmy slowly falls to his knees.)

KEITH: I understand-

CUT TO:

(Lucas looks around cautiously as he walks forward slowly.)

KEITH: (v.o) -son, it’s what we all want.

(The SWAT team circles Lucas and Peyton.)

KEITH: (v.o) It’s all any of us wants.

CUT TO:

(Jimmy looks heavenwards, out of it.)

JIMMY: I’m not here.

CUT TO:

(The camera circles Lucas and Peyton as a member of the SWAT team takes Peyton from him.)

CUT TO:

(Jimmy looks around, spaced out.)

JIMMY: I’m not here.

(Keith starts forward.)

KEITH: Jimmy, please ju-

CUT TO:

(Cops aim g*ns at Lucas as one rushes away with Peyton. Lucas holds his hands out and drops to his knees.)

KEITH: (v.o) It’s gonna be OK, son.

CUT TO:

(Keith is standing in front of Jimmy.)

KEITH: It’s gonna be OK.

JIMMY: But it hurts! (smacks himself in the chest) It hurts! IT ALWAYS HURTS!

KEITH: I know.

CUT TO:

(One of the cops pushes Lucas to the floor and pulls his arms behind him.)

CUT TO:

KEITH: (pleading) Please.

(Jimmy looks at him with sorrow.)

KEITH: (begging) Please.

JIMMY: (weakly) I’m sorry.

(Jimmy turns the g*n on himself and Keith realises what he’s about to do.)

KEITH: (rushing forward) NO!

(A g*nsh*t rings through the school.)

FLASH TO:

(Haley lifts her head from Nathan’s shoulder, her mouth open in shock and horror.)

FADE TO:

(The sh*t is in slow motion as Keith rushes to a sprawled Jimmy. He’s already dead. Keith puts a hand on Jimmy’s chest.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Does this darkness have a name?

FADE TO:

(Mouth has his head buried in Rachel’s shoulder as they both cry.)

LUCAS: (v.o) This cruelty, this hatred?

(sh*t pans up to Marcus who is still sitting on the filing cabinet. He’s staring off into nothing.)

LUCAS: (v.o) How did it find us?

(sh*t fades to Skills who is looking down, lost.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Did it steal into our lives or did we seek it out and embrace it?

FADE TO:

(Keith is still hovering over Jimmy, trying to find some life in him. He lowers his head sadly.)

FADE TO:

(Peyton is being loaded into an ambulance. She’s still unconscious.)

LUCAS: (v.o) What happened to us?

(The sh*ts fades to Lucas walking to his mother now that he’s been released by the cops.)

LUCAS: (v.o) That we now send our children into the world like we send young men to w*r;

(Lucas hugs Karen. She cries. The sh*t pans around them. Brooke stands away from them.)

LUCAS: (v.o) hoping for their safe return.

FADE TO:

(Cops stand away from Mrs. Edwards as she absorbs the news that it was her son who caused it all.)

LUCAS: (v.o) But knowing that some will be lost along the way.

FADE TO:

(Brooke walks to Lucas tearfully and hugs him.)

FADE TO:

(The g*n lies abandoned on the floor, a little way away from Keith and Jimmy’s body. Feet stop in front of it.)

LUCAS: (v.o) When did we lose our way?

(A hand reaches down and picks the g*n up. sh*t pans up to show that it’s Dan. He watches Keith with Jimmy’s body.)

LUCAS: Consumed by the shadows; swallowed whole by the darkness.

(Keith looks up at Dan, crying.)

KEITH: He’s gone, Danny. (inhales and looks back down) He’s gone.

(Dan nods and waits a b*at before raising the g*n and pointing it at Keith. Keith watches the movement and stands. Cut to Dan who is pointing the g*n steadily at his brother.)

(Keith looks at Dan in confusion and bewilderment.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Does this darkness have a name?

(Dan waits a b*at before pulling the trigger on his own brother. Keith recoils and falls to the floor. The empty b*llet case hits the floor too. Dan looks at Keith coldly.)

LUCAS: (v.o) Is it your name?

(sh*t holds on Dan’s unfeeling face.)

The END