04x19 - Ashes of Dreams You Let Die

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

04x19 - Ashes of Dreams You Let Die

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on One Tree Hill...

WHITEY : Some reporter's asking questions about point-shaving. That kind of thing. You know anything about that?

NATHAN : No, sir.

HALEY : How bad will it get if they find out about you and Daunte?

NATHAN : They'll take my scholarship for sure.

NATHAN : Coach, I lied to you. It wasn't Lucas. I'm sorry.

WHITEY : So am I.

NATHAN : I will accept whatever consequences there might be. I love this game. I'm sorry I betrayed it.

DAN : You made a mistake.

ABBY : No. I saw you. I saw everything.

LUCAS : Was my uncle Keith still alive when Jimmy sh*t himself? Who k*lled my uncle?

ABBY : It was your father... Dan Scott.

LUCAS’ BEDROOM

It’s the continuance of the last episode; Lucas comes home and sees Dan and Karen kissing. He jumps on Dan

KAREN : Lucas!

LUCAS : You son of a bitch!

(Lucas punch Dan and he hit him back)

KAREN : Stop!

DAN : What's wrong with you?! Karen, I'm...

KAREN (to Lucas) : I'm sorry. It shouldn't have happened... It just did.

LUCAS : He k*lled Keith! He sh*t him!

DAN : I should go.

(Dan leaves)

KAREN : Why would you say something...

LUCAS : 'Cause it's the truth.

KAREN : Stop it. Jimmy k*lled Keith. So stop it!

OUTSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Nathan is walking toward Haley and everybody is looking at him

NATHAN : Guess it was only a matter of time until the entire town found out I'm a cheater.

HALEY : Sorry. You know when I was at school and everybody was, like, laughing at me after the tour and whispering and making fun of me? I went to school one day, and I wasn't so interesting. It kind of blew over. This probably will, too.

NATHAN : I hope you're right. How's your valedictory speech coming?

HALEY : Very, very slowly. This is ridiculous. Graduation's, like, a few days away. I'm supposed to be finished with it. I'm not even close.

NATHAN : It'll be great. You'll be great.

HALEY : You hear anything from Duke yet?

NATHAN : Not yet... I'm guessing they're too busy trying to find another sh**ting guard to fill my scholarship.

HALEY : You don't know that.

NATHAN : That's what I would do.

HALEY : Maybe you should talk to Whitey. He's always been there for you. You know, maybe he can help.

Peyton is reading at a table, Brooke joins her

BROOKE : Do you know what today is, P. Sawyer?

PEYTON : Um, sh*t in the dark... yearbook day.

BROOKE : No. The last Wednesday of high school.

PEYTON : And the beginning of the end.

BROOKE : Do you always have to put a dark and twisted spin on things? My point is that after this week, we actually have to figure out what we're gonna do with our lives.

PEYTON : Oh, I thought you already did that. Let's see. What does the yearbook say? "Brooke Davis... goal: hear an Oscar winner tell Joan Rivers, ‘I'm wearing Brooke Davis.'" Joan Rivers?

BROOKE : Come on. It was her or Ryan Seacrest.

PEYTON : Good choice.

BROOKE : Thank you. What does the future hold for Peyton Sawyer? Let's see. Goal... it's blank. How predictable. That's what I call ambition. You think maybe it's time you just aim for something?

PEYTON : Well, maybe I have. I applied for this internship with Sire Records a few months ago, and I just found out I got it.

BROOKE : Seriously?

PEYTON : They need an answer as soon as possible.

BROOKE : So say "yes."

PEYTON : It's in Los Angeles.

BROOKE : Wait! We can spend the summer together in L.A. We can stay with my parents, and... this is kind of perfect.

PEYTON : Yeah. Now I just have to tell Lucas.

BROOKE : Peyton, he's gonna be happy for you. Just like I am.

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Haley is leaving class to see Principal Turner

HALEY : Hey.

TURNER : Sorry to pull you out of class, but I need a moment of your time.

HALEY : I think I know what this is about.

TURNER : You do?

HALEY : Yeah. I know I was supposed to give you a copy of my valedictory speech. It's just not quite finished yet, so...

TURNER : I'm sorry to tell you this, but you're not gonna be able to deliver your valedictory address this Saturday.

HALEY : Why? What happened? Did somebody b*at me out after finals?

TURNER : No. You finished at the top of your class, and I'm very proud of you for that. The school board has expressed some concerns in light of what's happened recently.

HALEY : Okay, so this is about Nathan.

TURNER : Haley.

HALEY : I worked really, really hard for this.

TURNER : I know you did, Haley. But this has become very public. I'm sorry.

INSIDE POLICE STATION

Lucas enters the police station

POLICE OFFICER : Can I help you?

LUCAS : Yeah. I'd like to speak to a detective.

POLICE OFFICER : What's this regarding?

LUCAS : I'd like to report a m*rder.

ONE TREE HILL CREDITS

INSIDE POLICE STATION

Lucas is with a detective

DETECTIVE : Okay. Let me make sure I understand this. You're accusing the mayor of this town, who also happens to be your father, of k*lling his brother, your uncle, and you're making this serious accusation without any proof?

LUCAS : I told you... I have proof.

DETECTIVE : Right. The, uh, girl who witnessed everything. And, uh, what was her name?

(Dan enters the room)

DAN : Yeah, who is this girl, Lucas? She sounds disturbed. Maybe if you could put us in touch with her, we could clear up this horrible misunderstanding.

DETECTIVE :Sorry to waste your time with this, Mr. Mayor. I know how busy you are.

DAN : Well, it's not a problem. You see, I recently started a relationship with his mother, so you can't blame him for being angry. I'm just surprised at this hateful accusation. Still, I think it's best if we just forget it ever happened.

DETECTIVE : I spent that day with your father, outside the school. I was the one that told him his brother had d*ed. What you've done here today is reckless and inexcusable. And I think you owe him an apology.

(Lucas stands up, looks Dan right in the eyes and leave without a word)

DAN : He's a troubled boy.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Deb is aiming with her g*n when Nathan enters the room. He get scared

NATHAN : Mom, what the hell?

DEB : I'm cleaning my g*n. You don't want me to have a misfire, do you?

NATHAN : Well, here's a thought... no g*n, no misfire. Problem solved.

DEB : What's the fun in that?

NATHAN : Oh, by the way, Haley told me that you invited her to a sh**ting range. Are you completely out of your mind?

DEB : There is some evidence to support that.

NATHAN : Mom, g*ns and babies don't mix.

DEB : Oh, Nathan, don't worry. As soon as the baby is born, the g*n will be stored in my locker at the sh**ting range.

NATHAN : You've got a locker at the sh**ting range? Forget it. I'm late for school.

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Brooke is in front of her locker, Chase surprises her

CHASE : Joan Rivers, huh? Some lofty aspirations.

BROOKE : No making fun, X games gold medalist.

CHASE : Ah, you already looked me up in the yearbook. That's good to know.

BROOKE : Don't get cocky. I didn't look you up. I just opened it to a random page, and there you were.

CHASE : Some people would call that fate.

BROOKE : I call it a coincidence.

(After a pause)

BROOKE : So... I was wondering... why did you leave Clean Teens?

CHASE : I realized I was just hiding out in Clean Teens. I mean, I didn't join the club because I was against sex. I'm sure I'd actually like sex.

BROOKE : You definitely would.

CHASE : Yeah. My point is, I thought if I joined Clean Teens, girls wouldn't be interested in me, and then maybe I wouldn't have my heart broken again.

BROOKE : And then I came along.

CHASE : Yep. So that didn't work.

BROOKE : I'm sorry. If it means anything, I've been thinking about you.

CHASE : Me too.

BROOKE : Really? What you been thinking?

CHASE : Well, how about I write it in your yearbook?

(Chase tries to take the yearbook Brooke is holding)

BROOKE : This isn't mine. It's Bevin's. She's signing mine this period.

CHASE : Oh. Okay.

BROOKE : But we could exchange books in calculus tomorrow. That way, I can sign yours, too.

CHASE : I'd like that. I'll see you there.

OUTSIDE OF TREE HILL HIGH

Mouth is taking a yearbook and find inside an old picture of Jimmy and he, but Jimmy is half cut.

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Mouth comes to see the team that made the yearbook

GIGI : Hey, Mouth.

MOUTH : Gigi. Hi. I didn't know you were on the yearbook staff.

GIGI : I like to keep myself occupied.

MOUTH : Good idea... Listen, I have to ask you something about the yearbook.

GIGI : I thought it might bother you. I hope you're not upset with me.

MOUTH : Why would I be upset with you?

GIGI : Oh, no reason.

MOUTH : Actually, um, I'm upset about what's not in the yearbook. Jimmy Edwards. Here, look at his picture. That's Jimmy. Why was he cropped out?

GIGI : Well, he was originally in it, but we were told to take him out.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley is taking the perimeter of her belly. Nathan walks in

HALEY : You know, I think I'm actually getting fatter by the minute.

NATHAN : I hope so.

HALEY : You're just saying that to make me feel better.

NATHAN : No, because the bigger you get, the taller our son's gonna be.

HALEY : So it's all right if I look like a weeble wobble as long as our son can dunk a basketball?

NATHAN : Have you finished your speech yet?

HALEY : I'm, uh, I'm not gonna be giving a speech.

NATHAN : Haley, come on. Look, everybody knows you're pregnant, okay? Pregnant people get bigger. It's natural.

HALEY : It's actually principal Turner. He told me that I'm not allowed to give the speech on graduation.

NATHAN : What are you talking about? Why?

HALEY : He just said the whole, uh, Rachel scandal test thing has just kind of made it not appropriate.

NATHAN : It's 'cause of me, isn't it?

HALEY : Yeah. Look, it's really okay. It is. It's not a big deal, okay? It's just some stupid speech I probably wouldn't have even finished, anyway.

NATHAN : It's not a stupid speech. And they can't do this to you, Haley.

HALEY : They can. And it's not... it doesn't matter. High school's almost over. You know, let them take the stupid speech. They can't take away everything else I've accomplished.

OUTSIDE LUCAS’ HOUSE

Karen is watering her plants when Dan arrives

DAN : So, how you holding up?

KAREN : Oh, well, I've been better. How are you doing? You were the one who was att*cked.

DAN : Yeah. That's why I stopped by. I was up all night, Karen. I'm really worried about Lucas.

KAREN : Yeah. I wish I could get into his head and understand what its he's going through.

DAN : Well, that's just it... we can't get in his head. And I think this problem is too serious to deal with ourselves.

KAREN : What are you saying?

DAN : I want to be there for you, for the baby. I want to be there for Lucas, but suddenly he's lashing out.

KAREN : Yeah, well, can you blame him?

DAN : No. But I do think he needs guidance. We should get him some professional help. Someone to help him through this awkward period of us, of replacing Keith, of all of it. I love Lucas. And I really think it's important that we do this for him.

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is writing a text message to Lucas ("I miss u"), Brooke comes to see her

BROOKE : Hey. Peyton, I need your opinion on something, and feel free to be brutally honest.

PEYTON : Yeah, 'cause it really worked out last time I was brutally honest with you.

BROOKE : Okay, first of all, let's not go there. Second, as long as you don't declare your love for Chase, we'll be fine.

PEYTON : Well, he is seriously cute. Too soon?

BROOKE : Too soon.

PEYTON : Sorry.

BROOKE : Anyway, I'm signing Chase's yearbook tomorrow, and I've prepared two possible inscriptions.

PEYTON : No, you didn't.

BROOKE : Yes, I did. One expresses my true feelings for him, and the other talks about how cool I think skateboarding is.

PEYTON : Brooke, you sure about this? Like, you really want Chase back?

BROOKE : Yes. I want him, I miss him, and if he's gonna put himself out there, then so will I.

PEYTON : Wait, how do you know he's gonna put himself out there?

BROOKE : Because he told me he's gonna tell me how he feels about me in my yearbook.

PEYTON : Well, good. I hope this works out.

BROOKE : Thanks. Me too. Besides, he's a really good kisser. Okay. Let me know what you think.

LUCAS’ BEDROOM

Lucas, alone and sad, receives Peyton’s message. Karen walks in

KAREN : Lucas... I need to talk to you. I love you. You are the most important person in my life, and it kills me to see you hurting like this. But Keith is gone, and he's not coming back. And, eventually, I need to go on with my life.

LUCAS : With Dan?

KAREN : Maybe. I don't know. Lucas, let me in. Please.

LUCAS : You won't believe me, mom.

KAREN : Try me.

LUCAS : I had a dream. I saw this girl the day Keith was sh*t. And she's in the hallway. She watched it happen. She saw everything.

KAREN : Okay.

LUCAS : It was real, mom. It... The girl... I found her. Her name's Abby, and she... she was there. She watched Keith die. She told me.

KAREN : She told you she saw Jimmy sh**t Keith?

LUCAS : No. She told me Dan sh*t Keith. Now she's gone. I can't prove it.

KAREN : Lucas, I know how desperately you want to believe in this.

LUCAS : No, it's true. I think that it is time that you go talk to somebody... a professional, somebody who can help you through this.

LUCAS : I'm not crazy.

KAREN : I know. But I think that you have a problem. We both think so.

LUCAS : "We"?

KAREN : Dan and I. Lucas... do this for us.

(Lucas starts crying)

KAREN : Please.
INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Mouth enters Principal Turner’s office

TURNER : Oh, Mr. McFadden. What can I do for you?

MOUTH : I want to know why you had Jimmy Edwards removed from the yearbook.

TURNER :Jimmy Edwards is no longer a student at this school.

MOUTH : Well, in two days, I won't be, either, but I'm still in the yearbook.

TURNER : Look, Mouth, a yearbook is a collection of memories, a book that, 20 years from now, these students will flip through and remember what they loved about this school. Now, I don't want them to look back and be reminded of that terrible day.

TURNER :It happened. It's a part of all of us. But he deserves to be remembered.

TURNER :Trust me, no one will ever forget Jimmy Edwards.

In a class room just before a period

BROOKE : Have you told Lucas about the internship yet?

PEYTON : No, not yet. I haven't been able to reach him.

BROOKE : Sorry, but you might want to get used to it. Life as Lucas Scott's girlfriend can be pretty lonely sometimes.

(Chase enters the room)

PEYTON : Uh-oh. Moment of truth. You got your cheat sheet? Which one are you gonna use?

BROOKE : I'm gonna tell him how I feel. Wish me luck.

(Chase comes toward Brooke)

CHASE : Hey. Saved you a spot-- first page.

BROOKE : Perfect.

Mouth is in front a his locker, Gigi comes to see him

GIGI : Hey, Mouth. I brought you something.

(She gives him a yearbook)

GIGI : It's Jimmy's.

MOUTH : I don't understand.

GIGI : His mom ordered it last fall. We were gonna mail it to her, but I figured you'd want to take it to her.

MOUTH : Thanks. I don't know what she wants with a yearbook that Jimmy's not even in, but I'll take it to her.

GIGI : Do you have a free period right now?

MOUTH : Gigi, I'm a senior. I pretty much have a free week.

GIGI : Good. Come on.

End of Brooke and Peyton’s period

PEYTON : Good luck.

BROOKE : Thanks.

(Peyton leaves and Brooke and Chase exchange their yearbook)

CHASE : Thanks again, Brooke.

BROOKE : Sure.

CHASE : So I'll see you later?

BROOKE : Hope so.

(She starts reading what he wrote)

BROOKE : Oh, no.

RIVERCOURT

Nathan is playing alone. Whitey arrives

WHITEY : Nice sh*t. You always make it look so easy.

NATHAN : There's no pressure out here. There's nothing on the line. Besides, on this court, the sh*ts don't really matter.

WHITEY : They all matter, Nathan... every sh*t. Duke has rescinded your scholarship offer. I'm sorry I couldn't help you on this one.

NATHAN : I understand. So I guess it's over, huh?

WHITEY : As far as I know, basketball's never over till you put down the ball and walk off the court.

NATHAN : You know what I mean, coach.

WHITEY : No, Nathan, I don't think I do. What the heck have I been teaching you all these years? When somebody says you can't do something, you fight back. You prove them wrong.

NATHAN : They took away my scholarship, coach. They don't want me anymore.

WHITEY : Then find somebody who does. Nathan, where is the fire that made you the best player I ever coached? Show me it's still there. If it's not, put down that ball and walk off the court. People love a guy who rises from the ashes. Remember that.

DAN’S HOUSE

Lucas is standing in the living room when Dan comes home

DAN : What are you doing here, Lucas?

LUCAS : Why did you paint this wall red, Dan? You covering something up?

DAN : I wanted it red. I like red.

LUCAS : Abby told me she sent you messages... stalked you. Did she write something on this wall, Dan?

DAN : That girl's crazy. She's gotten inside your head, Lucas.

LUCAS : I know what you did. But I can't prove it. So all I can do now is keep you away from my mom.

DAN : I can see that you're upset, but everything's gonna be okay. You're gonna go off to school, and I'm gonna stay here and take care of your mom and the baby.

LUCAS : That's not gonna happen.

DAN : You'll realize it's a good thing. Your mom needs me. You'll see.

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Nathan is making phone calls from Whitey’s empty office

NATHAN : Coach. Hi, this is Nathan Scott... Yeah. Well, I was wondering if you still needed a sh**ting guard, 'cause I'd love to come up there and... Yeah. I understand. Thanks for your time.

(Haley walks in)

HALEY : Any luck?

NATHAN : It's over, Haley. Nobody wants anything to do with me.

HALEY : Don't say that.

NATHAN : It's true. I ruined everything. And now you can't even give this speech that you worked so hard for, that you earned, because I screwed it up.

HALEY : I don't care about the speech, Nathan. I care about us. I love you. Do you love me?

NATHAN : Of course I love you.

HALEY : Okay. That's all that matters, all right? We are gonna find a way to get through this together. I promise you.

Mouth is with Gigi in the yearbook publishing’s office

MOUTH : You know, uh, for what it's worth,

GIGI : I miss hanging out with you. I miss it, too. I think about you all the time.

MOUTH : Really?

GIGI : Of course. But I still think we made the right decision to break up.

MOUTH : I'm pretty sure you were flying solo on that decision, but, uh, I understood it. I still do. But who knows? Maybe someday.

(Mouth looks at a page that just print)

MOUTH : This is incredible, Gigi. What can I do to thank you?

GIGI : You can let me sign your yearbook.

MOUTH : I was hoping you would.

OUTSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Peyton is at a table, Brooke joins her and shows her yearbook

BROOKE : Read this.

PEYTON : "Brooke, I'm glad we got to know each other this year. Good luck in the future. Chase." Ouch.

BROOKE : Yeah. And I just poured my heart out in his yearbook. I'm so embarrassed.

PEYTON : Maybe you should have opted for that "skateboarders are cool" version.

BROOKE : This is not funny. I can never show my face at this school again.

PEYTON : Yeah. It's a good thing high school's almost over.

BROOKE : Shut up.

PEYTON : Hey!

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Gigi gives Mouth’s yearbook back to him

GIGI : All done.

MOUTH : That didn't take long.

GIGI : You were easy.

MOUTH : I hope that's a good thing.

GIGI : It is. I don't know if I'll get to see you before you leave, so... I'll say goodbye now. I'm gonna miss you, Mouth.

MOUTH : I'll miss you, too. Come here.

(They hug and Gigi starts to leave)

MOUTH : Hey, Gigi. Yesterday, when you asked if I was upset with you because of what was in the yearbook, what did you mean?

GIGI : Page 23.

(She leaves and he look at that page where there is a picture of the two of them and she wrote "Mouth, here’s to someday Love Gigi")

Haley walks by Lucas and the walk in the hallway

HALEY : Hey. Look who decided to come out of hiding.

LUCAS : Yeah

HALEY : Since when do you ditch school?

LUCAS : Come on. Finals are over. Give me one good reason to be here this week.

HALEY : Actually, I have one. This is yours...

(She gives him his yearbook)

HALEY : I picked it up this morning 'cause I wanted to be the very first one to sign it.

LUCAS : Thank you.

HALEY : You're welcome. I kind of got carried away and took up an entire page. But I figured that's my right as a best friend.

LUCAS : Yes. You are my best friend.

HALEY : I can't believe high school is almost over. Do you remember the first day of freshman year?

LUCAS : Oh, yes. You asked me to pretend to be your boyfriend so the other guys wouldn't bother you.

HALEY : You were the best fake boyfriend ever.

LUCAS : Seems like forever ago, huh? Did you ever think this was how senior year would end up?

HALEY : What? Me married, pregnant, living with a recovering junkie who is packing heat? Absolutely.

LUCAS : What was that?

HALEY : Deb... she keeps a g*n in the kitchen in a cookie jar. She asked me to go to the sh**ting range with her... while I'm pregnant. She's out of her mind.

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Lucas enters the kitchen

LUCAS : Hello? Anybody home?

(He takes the g*n from the cookie jar)

OUTSIDE WHITEY’S HOUSE

Haley comes to visit Whitey

HALEY : Hey, coach. Got a minute?

WHITEY : Looks like I'm getting more visits at the house than I got in my office.

HALEY : Are you?

WHITEY : I guess since I retired, I ought to start a new business and charge fees for my advice.

HALEY : That's not a bad idea. What do you think you'll call it?

WHITEY : Oh, I don't know. I'll think of something.

HALEY : Well, I don't know how much advice I need, but I could sure use your help.

WHITEY : What can I do for you?

HALEY : You can help Nathan. Everybody's turned their back on him. You're the only person that's never let him down.

WHITEY : Haley, I don't know what I could do for him at this point.

HALEY : Well, I'm sure you could think of something. Coach, he's still that guy that helped you win all those games. He's got the heart of a champion. You've know that. You watched him grow. You know the kind of person that he is. Can't you just help him be more that person, help him for all the times he's helped you?

WHITEY : Let me think on it.

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Brooke is walking in the hallway and sees Chase. She run in a class room to hide and find herself in front of a all class of freshmen

BROOKE : Hi... freshmen. Great. As your student-council president, I just wanted to come by and personally say good luck with the rest of high school. You guys are gonna love the next three years.

FRESHMAN : I can't wait.

BROOKE : Well, maybe not all of you. Okay. Have a good day.

OUTSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Peyton is watching her yearbook when Lucas arrives and kisses her by surprise

PEYTON : Excuse me... I have a boyfriend.

LUCAS : Really? Where is he?

(Lucas is joking like is gonna a b*at the guy)

PEYTON : Good question. I've been wondering that myself for two days.

LUCAS : Yeah, I guess I deserved that.

PEYTON : It makes a girl feel cheap... give it up in Honey Grove, and then, poof, vanishing boyfriend.

LUCAS : Poof?

PEYTON : Poof.

LUCAS : Look, I'm sorry. I kind of have this habit of crawling into my shell.

PEYTON : Well, quit your dumb habit, 'cause your girlfriend really needs you this weekend.

LUCAS : What's going on?

PEYTON : I have an impossible decision to make and not a whole lot of time to make it in.

LUCAS : Okay. Look, I'm here now. Tell me about it.

PEYTON : I applied for an internship with Sire Records a few months ago, before we were together. And I just found out I got it.

LUCAS : Oh, my god, that's great.

PEYTON : It's in Los Angeles.

LUCAS : Take it. You deserve it.

PEYTON : I don't want to leave you.

LUCAS : I will be here when you get back. But your are destined for greatness, Peyton, and we both know that. And this is your first step. You can't pass that up.

PEYTON : Are you sure?

LUCAS : Yeah. I'm so proud of you. Look, Peyton... you know I love you, right?

PEYTON : Yeah.

LUCAS : No matter what happens to either one of us, you will always be in my heart.

MOUTH : Excuse me, everybody.

(We see Mouth stand up on a table not far from Lucas and Peyton)

MOUTH : This will only take a minute. This yearbook belongs to Jimmy Edwards. Now, everyone knows his name, but some of you actually knew Jimmy before that day. Maybe you sat with him at lunch. Maybe you went to grade school together. If you knew Jimmy even for a short time, then you probably have some good memories of him. And I hope you'll consider writing them down in this yearbook. Thanks.

(Mouth get down and sees Lucas)

MOUTH : Lucas, I know how you feel about Jimmy, but it's the right thing to do.

LUCAS : I know it is. Got a pen?

MOUTH : Hey.

LUCAS : You're a great friend, Mouth. Jimmy would really appreciate this.

(Lucas is the first to sign Jimmy’s yearbook)

INSIDE TREE HILL HIGH

Nathan enters Principal Turner’s office

NATHAN : Principal Turner?

TURNER : Whatever it is, Mr. Scott, it'll have to wait. I'm very busy.

NATHAN : This won't take long, I promise.

TURNER : Okay.

NATHAN : Okay. I'm sorry. I know I embarrassed you, I embarrassed the school, and I'm sorry for that... I am. But, please, don't take this out on Haley.

TURNER : This wasn't an easy decision, Nathan.

NATHAN : But you made it. And now the best student... the best person... in this school can't give a speech because she's married to me. Does that sound fair to you?

TURNER : You should know that I've received numerous phone calls from parents and school-board members.

NATHAN : Do you have a wife, principal Turner?

TURNER : Yes, I do.

NATHAN : Is she the best part of you? Would you want her to pay for your mistakes? We've all made mistakes. And, believe me, I'm paying for mine, but Haley's a good person. And she's worked for four years to be valedictorian, and... she deserves to be recognized.

OUTSIDE LUCAS’ HOUSE

Dan knocks at the door and Karen opens the door

KAREN : Hi. Come in.

(We see Lucas arriving in his car and looking at the scene, with a g*n in his hand)

SCOTT’S HOUSE

Haley is in the couch, Nathan comes home

HALEY : Hey. It's getting a little late. I'm kind of hungry. You hungry?

NATHAN : No.

HALEY : Let's go out. We never go out anymore. Let's go eat something really bad for us and pig out.

NATHAN : That sounds great, but you're gonna be a little busy tonight.

HALEY : Doing what?

(Nathan gives her a paper)

HALEY : What is this?

NATHAN : Graduation program.

HALEY : "Tree Hill high school graduation. Valedictory address... Haley James Scott"?

NATHAN : Turner changed his mind.

HALEY : Are you for real? Oh, come here! Thank you! Oh, my god! I have to go start writing my speech!

NATHAN : You got a lot of work to do. I'll grab us something to eat... something really bad for us.

HALEY : No, I'm gonna be speaking in front of a thousand people. Plus, I'm pregnant. I need healthy food. Healthy!

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is in the bedroom, looking at her internship letter, Brooke joins her

BROOKE : Hey. You okay?

PEYTON : I told Lucas about the internship.

BROOKE : What did he say?

PEYTON : He wants me to go.

BROOKE : He's right. Was there a part of you that was hoping he'd ask you to stay?

PEYTON : Oh, no, no. It's not that. There's something going on with him, and I just worry about being away all summer.

BROOKE : Peyton, when has Lucas ever not made the right decision?

PEYTON : Well, let's see. He didn't take his heart pills and collapsed recently.

BROOKE : You know what I mean. Okay, if you're worried about your relationship, it's one thing. But I don't think you need to be. Lucas is right... take the internship... and have a fabulous summer in L.A. with me.

(Someone knocks at the door)

BROOKE : I'll get it.

Brooke opens the door to Chase

CHASE : Hey.

BROOKE : Can I help you?

CHASE : I was hoping we could talk about what you wrote in my yearbook.

BROOKE : What's the point? I mean, I... I didn't mean half the things I said. I just for some stupid reason thought you were gonna write something similar, so...

CHASE : I wanted to.

BROOKE : Don't do that, okay? It's too late. It's fine.

CHASE : When I walked into that classroom today, I was gonna tell you exactly how I feel. I mean, I wanted to earlier in the hallway.

BROOKE : So why didn't you?

CHASE : I don't know. I guess I wasn't sure I wanted to put my heart out there again. But, look, the point is everything that you wrote to me, I feel it, too. I just didn't know how to put it in words.

BROOKE : You just did.

(They kiss)

INSIDE WHITEY’S HOUSE

Whitey is on the phone

WHITEY : Hello. This is Whitey Durham. I'm sorry to call so late, but I need to speak to your athletic director.

OUTSIDE JIMMY EDWARD’S HOUSE

Mouth knocks at the door

JIMMY’S MOM : Marvin.

MOUTH : I brought you something. It's Jimmy's yearbook. A lot of people signed it. They said some really nice things about Jimmy.

(She starts to look at it and we see a page dedicated to Jimmy)

THE APARTMENT

Peyton is looking at her yearbook and find what Lucas wrote for her:"Remember, no matter what happens, I will always love you... Love, Lucas"

INSIDE LUCAS’ HOUSE

Dan and Karen are having diner

DAN : Lucas is gonna be okay, Karen.

KAREN : I don't know. Something about this just doesn't feel right. When I asked him to get help, he looked... betrayed.

DAN : Well, you did the right thing. He's out of control. He's acting crazy.

KAREN : My son is not crazy.

DAN : I'm sorry, Karen. I didn't mean it like that.

KAREN : This isn't easy for me, Dan... any of this.

(Dan receives a text message from an unknown: "I’m not leaving. I watched you m*rder your brother. I’m going to the police. Abby")

KAREN : What is it?

DAN : Just a little problem I thought I took care of. I have to go. This won't take long. I'm sorry.

(Dan starts to go and faces Lucas in the hallway)

LUCAS : Going somewhere, Dan?

DAN : What do you think you're doing, Lucas?

LUCAS : I'm protecting my mother.

(Lucas aims Dan with the g*n)

DAN : What are you gonna do, sh**t me?

LUCAS : Yes, I am. Just like you sh*t my uncle Keith.

KAREN : Lucas, what are you doing with a g*n? Put that down right now.

LUCAS : I can't.

KAREN : Lucas!

LUCAS : That little text message Dan just got... I sent it. I pretended to be Abby... you know, the girl who watched him m*rder Keith. You heard him... Abby's just a little problem he thought he'd taken care of.

DAN : Don't listen to him, Karen. He's delusional.

LUCAS : Maybe you should tell the truth when I have a g*n aimed at your head.

KAREN : Lucas, please, just put the g*n down, all right? I can't..

(Karen starts fainting)

KAREN : I can't..

(She faint and Dan want to help her)

DAN : Karen!

LUCAS : Do not touch her! Mom? Mom, are you okay?

DAN : She could be having a miscarriage!

LUCAS : You stay right there! Do not touch her! That is my mother! I swear to god I will k*ll you!

(We see Lucas sh**ting)