06x11 - We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)

Episode transcripts for the TV show "One Tree Hill". Aired September 2003 - April 2012.*

Moderator: UsuallyAlly

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

This series follows the eventful lives of some high-school kids in Tree Hill, a small but not too quiet town in North Carolina, where the greatest source of pride is the high school basketball team, the Ravens.

06x11 - We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)

Post by bunniefuu »

TV : If she can stand it, I can. play it.

AT LUCAS'S HOUSE

Lucas : Hey, pretty girl.

Peyton : Hi, pretty boy. what you doing?

Lucas : I'm just... going through the script, actually. It always takes me back, you know? Nathan and Haley, my Lucas : Mom's café ... Brooke, Keith.

Peyton : Yeah. how's it going with Julian?

Lucas : Oh, you know, good cop, bad cop. I'm, fighting the urge from tying him to a chair and b*ating him to death. Hey, what's the deal with this dove pendant? I've never seen you wear it.

Peyton : Oh, my dad brought that back for me from one of his trips out to sea.

Lucas : Mm. it's nice. all right, so, are you gonna be home late?

Peyton : Maybe. I don't know. I'll tell you what ... I'll give you a call if it's looking like that, okay?

Lucas : Okay. well, I'll be up writing. hey, and just be careful. it's kind of nasty out there. not ready you lose you yet, you knucklehead.

Peyton : You're the knucklehead. All right, get back to work. mama needs the money. Bye, baby.

Lucas : Bye.

TV : the way it goes ... one in, one out. Sam? if it's December 1941 in Casablanca...

AT KAREN'S CAFE

Peoples : Hey, hi.

Lucas : evening. How are you two tonight?

Man : Hey, thanks for the drinks, Lucas.

Mouth : Hey, this just in ... Jim's wife is a tramp. oh, I'm telling you, fellas, she's a real floozy, and everyone knows except for Jim.

Lucas : You know, Mouth, discretion might serve us better tonight, don't you think? save the gossip for your column.

Mouth : Hey, power of the press, Luke. anything goes. hey, speaking of which ... I'm working on something big.

Lucas : Oh, I'm sure you are.

Mouth : It's bigger than the column.

Lucas : You look good.

Mouth : It's gonna shake up this whole town.

The pianist : Thanks, sugar.

Lucas : And how is Brooke Davis tonight?

Brooke : Problems with men, problems with money. You could help me with both.

Lucas : Nice dress.

Brooke : Do you like it? I made it myself. Now, how about my problems?

Lucas : You know I never mix business with pleasure.

Brooke : Just pleasure, then?

Lucas : I have Karen's café now. She's all the lady I need. I'm sorry, Brooke. Now, if you'll excuse me ...

Brooke : You'll be back.

Lucas : Nice sh*t. You're gonna be a hard man to replace.

Nathan : And how's the search for my replacement coming?

Lucas : Well, it'd be a lot easier if I knew when I was losing you.

Nathan : When I know, you'll know. you rented out my room upstairs yet?

Lucas : Nope. it'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Nathan : hey, shouldn't Haley be on by now?

Lucas : Let's give her a minute.

TV : ... that we will not only defend ourselves to the stttermo, but will make it very certain that this form of treachery shall never again endanger us. Hostilities exist...

Dan : Yes, they do.

Haley : What are you doing here?

Oh, I'm just checking up on my singer.

Haley : I'm not your anything.

is that any way to speak to the man who gave you everything? set you up in his club? saved you from being

in a traveling sideshow? and yet you leave the comet club for Karen's café. I want you back. oh, still feisty. i like that.

Haley : Listen, mister, if you think I'm going back to that hellhole, you've got another thing coming.

Dan : Hellhole, is it?

Haley : Yes, hellhole.

Dan : The classiest joint within 100 miles, and you know it.

Haley : Classy? classy, my foot.

Dan : Who do you think you are? Dorothy Dandridge?

Haley : those good old boys never cared about my voice long as they could see my legs and my chest hiked up to my ears. I'll never go back, and that's final.

Dan : You know what? I decide what's final! oh, so that's what it's like?

Haley : You are ... ugh! one of these days, someone's gonna stand up to you, Dan Scott, and i, for one, can't wait.

Dan : Sing me something sweet tonight, doll. I'll be watching. Break a leg.

Man : Ladies and gentlemen, it is my greatest pleasure to bring to this stage for your entertainment ... only at Karen's café ... Miss Haley James.

Haley : *I know a little place in Carolina* *it's open year-round but only after dark * *so bring your gal and bring your wine* *unwind from your day* *gee, don't you know* *that you're in for a show* *when you go down to Karen's café?* *I know a little place in Carolina* *it's open year-round* *but only after dark* *so bring your gal and bring your wine* *unwind from your day* *gee, don't you know that you're in for a show* *when you go down to Karen's café?* *I've been up, down, all around* *lookin' for a place to spend my nights* *I don't wanna give it away* *I, I don't want everybody crowdin' up my space* *but I believe in sharin' when you find...*

Nathan : What a dame.

Lucas : She gets 'em every time.

Nathan : You ever think a girl like that and ... never mind.

Lucas : A bartender like you? yeah, why not?

Nathan : Well, 'cause I'm a nobody.

Haley : *but only if it, shh, stays a secret*

Nathan : She's definitely a somebody.

Lucas : Never say never, Nate. Look, if you want something, go get it. It's that simple.

Nathan : What do you want, Luke?

Lucas : Nothing. got everything I want right here.

Nathan : Yeah.

Haley : Sing it again, boys.

Boys : *hey, hey, hey*

Nathan : Luke ... We have a problem.

Lucas : I'll take care of it.

Julian : Move it or lose it, folks.

Haley : *all around, lookin' for a place to spend my nights* *i don't want to give it away* *I, I don't want everybody crowdin' up my space* *but I believe in sharing when you find a good thing* *it's only common sense* *nobody likes to do it alone*

Dan : Well, well, miss Brooke Davis. You have the money you borrowed from me?

Brooke : Not yet, but I have something in the works.

Dan : Not yet? Well, that's a mighty expensive champagne I saw you drinking over there.

Brooke : Well, a lady has to keep up appearances.

Dan : Well, your appearance is gonna suffer, if you don't get me my money.

Haley : *I've been up, down, all around* *lookin' for a place to spend my nights* *I don't want to give it away* *I, I don't want everybody crowdin' up my space*

Lucas : Can I help you?

Dan : Wow, Lucas Scott. what a pleasure. you know, I actually thought this was my club for a while, considering that's my singer up there.

Lucas : Oh, I'm sorry to inform you, but your club's down the road. It's the one lacking customers.

Dan : Funny. give me my girl back, I considered then you live

Lucas : Haley's free to do whatever she wants, and she wants to stay here. Now, you, on the other hand, are free to go.

Dan : You know, this club had such an elegance when your mom ran it. I remember being treated with such respect and sometimes I was treated to a few other things. it's too bad your mom ran off after that horrible accident with Keith. I mean, she was always so ... hospitable.

Lucas : I think it's time for you to get out of my club ... or I will throw you out.

Dan : Julian?

Owen : Dan! that's enough for tonight.

Dan : Thanks for a lovely evening.

Lucas : Sorry, ladies and gentlemen a round on the house. Haley James.

Haley : *gee, don't you know that you're in for a show* *when you go, go, go-o-o-o-o* *ohh* *gee, don't you know* *that you're in for a show* *when you go down* *to kare-e-e-e-n's café?*

Haley : Oh, hey, good to see you.

Man : Check out those gams.

Haley : Hey, not tonight, all right?

Man : Oh, let's have us a dance.

Haley : Listen, get off.

Man : Oh, come on, give me some sugar.

Haley : Get off!

Nathan : Sugary enough for you? you okay?

Haley : Thank you, but maybe you should cut that guy off.

Nathan : Maybe I should buy him another drink on the house.

Haley : And why would you do that?

Nathan : 'cause he gave the bartender an excuse to talk to the gorgeous singer.

*... in between when you're lookin' at me* *I know* *I know* *I know*

Haley : You know, in that case, maybe you should give him two. The second one's from me.

OUTSIDE KAREN'S CAFE

Dan : Julian, give us a moment. Your mother made me promise one thing before she d*ed ... That I would always look after you.

Peyton : I know.

Dan : I saw you making eyes at Lucas tonight.

Peyton : I was doing nothing of the sort.

Dan : I know what I saw. Don't make a liar out of me. Go to bed. I believe you, Peyton.

Julian : I know you only have eyes for me. Sweet dreams.

Mouth : Oh, I think I had a few too many tonight.

Lucas : Oh, you have a few too many every night, mouth ... Keeping me in business. Now, are you gonna be okay to get home?

Mouth : Yeah, I'm fine. all right. I'm going places, Luke.

Lucas : I know.

Mouth : Which way am I going? Thanks, pal. I used to be great, Luke. I was the best reporter in Tree Hill city, but I'm working on something big. I'm telling you ... no more gossip columns for me. It's big, Luke. They'll see. They'll all see me again. Does anybody see me here?

Lucas : Have a good night.

Brooke : Last chance.

Lucas : Good night, Brooke.

Brooke : And, Brooke, those were nice days we had.

Lucas : Sure they were. Sorry I had to break your heart.

Skills : Are you sure you can still handle your whiskey, Luke?

Lucas : Yeah, I'm fine. why?

Skills : 'cause you just let Brooke Davis walk out of here without paying her tab. I've been working with you 10 years, and I've never seen you tear up a bar tab before.

Lucas : She's just down on her luck. Mark my word, skills ... someday, Brooke Davis is gonna change the world.

Brooke : Taxi! on second thought, I'll walk. Thanks. sir? Have a good night.

Dan : Nice night for a walk.

Brooke : I told you I don't have your money yet.

Dan : Oh, that's a damn shame, 'cause, you see, I'm a businessman, so when I make an investment, I expect to see a return on that investment. I spent it on the start-up costs for my garment line.

Brooke : It's just been a slow start. If you could just give me more time.

Dan : You want more time. okay. I'm a fair-minded person. company needs a chance to get started, get some advertising, word of mouth, build up a clientele.

Brooke : That's right.

Dan : Okay, I understand. I'll give you until ... tomorrow night ... midnight. or else.

Julian : You want me to rough her up?

Dan : No. no, we'll give her another day. Meanwhile, go get me that nosy cop. My calluses could use a workout.

AT KAREN'S CAFE

Haley : So you're from here, aren't you ?

Nathan : Tree hill city, born and raised. what brought you here?

Haley : Well, I know it sounds a bit corny, but, the rain. i know nobody likes the rain, but i was traveling from theater to theater, performing. and while the money was great... well, Ii really missed having a place i could call home, so I moved here d fell for the rhythm of the rain. unfortunately, I also got stuck at Dan's place for a while. but then Lucas found me, brought me here, and it was a perfect fit. great club, rainy city. home. I think I'll stay a while, if Lucas will have me.

Nathan : Well, I know Karen would approve. we all kind of miss her around here. after she lost Keith, she left the club to Lucas, and ... she would be proud to have a woman of your heart and talent working here at the café.

Haley : Well, I sure can class up a joint, now, can't I?

Nathan : Yes, you sure can. I was ... I was wondering if maybe you might want to step out with me sometime.

Haley : Well, why don't you stop wondering and ask me sometime?

Lucas : Nathan?

Nathan : Excuse me.

Lucas : Before you get in too deep.

Haley : Everything all right?

Nathan : How would you like to step out with me tonight?

Lucas : Sorry, but we're closed.

Peyton : I know. my car broke down.

Lucas : right. so you can lure me outside, and Dan and five of his g*ons will work me over? no, thanks.

Peyton : Dan's not with me. I promise.

Lucas : let me grab my coat.

OUTSIDE KAREN'S CAFE

Lucas : well, I'll see what I can do. I'm not really the mechanic type. Wow, the advancements on these things are amazing, aren't they? how much she set you back?

Peyton : Oh, hundreds. What do you drive?

Lucas : I don't. I guess I'm not ready to give up on good, old-fashioned walking.

Peyton : You know, no one ever stands up to Dan that way.

Lucas : That right?

Peyton : And to be perfectly honest, I think the confrontation made him respect you. that's how he judges people, you know? Are they weak or are they strong? it's just his way.

Lucas : It's not my way. I'm a kind man, unless you give me a reason to be otherwise. I'm sorry. i ... my uncle Keith was the mechanic in the family.

Peyton : It's okay. leave it. you wouldn't mind a good, old-fashioned walk home, would you?

Lucas : Sure. I can do that. Where do you live?

Peyton : That way.

Lucas : Let's go.

ON THE BRIDGE

Peyton : I'm not sure how I feel about the w*r. I do mostly feel sorry for our boys having to leave home. I could fight, though. What? I could. or be a nurse. What do you think? would I be a good nurse?

Lucas : Yeah, I guess.

Peyton : Do you think I'm pretty?

Lucas : I don't think I know you well enough yet to say something like that.

Peyton : Well, you certainly don't talk very much, do you? Now, why would you want to walk me home if you didn't walk to talk?

Lucas : I'm not really the gabbing type.

Peyton : What does a girl have to do for some interesting conversation... short of throwing myself at you?

Lucas : Okay. I have a question for you. why do you associate yourself with a guy like Dan? he's scum. everybody knows what types of things he's into over there at the comet club. People disappear around him. and yet ... You let him own you.

Peyton : Never mind.

Lucas : Oh, no, you said you wanted to talk. now, here i am, walking you home, against his wishes, I'm sure. I'd just like to know.

Peyton : it's a long story.

Lucas : I've got time.

Peyton : my mother and Dan were in love. and when she d*ed, he vowed he would always look after me. i'm not his girl. I have my own place. he just keeps me close to him and takes me out.

Lucas : You're a trinket.

Peyton : I'm cared for.

Lucas : Is that what you call it? I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be rude. I just ... I don't like the guy is all.

Peyton : It's not that. I need to get out. I have been locked up my entire life, and i need to breathe. i need freedom. I need love.

AT KAREN'S CAFE

*love...*

Haley : When you asked me to step out with you tonight, I didn't imagine it would be at Karen's café.

Nathan : Why not? We've got the best piano player in town and the best drinks.

Haley : And the best bartender.

Nathan : Haley, I have to tell you something. that letter that Luke gave me earlier ... my unit's been called up for active m*llitary duty, and I have to report tomorrow night ... which means that this is my last night here, but... I want you to know that I wouldn't want to spend it with anyone but you.

Haley : Is that the truth? Because ... because I want to believe that it is.

Nathan : Yes. This is perfect to me.

*... I've fallen* *it's your fault, baby* *if I'm a fool* *you must be...*

IN THE STREET

Peyton : I want to fall in love. my whole life has been planned and safe. Dan won't let men court me. but for once, I want to make my own choices, even if that means my heart shatters into a million pieces and I have to find the strength to put it back together. so, that's why I came back tonight ... because I need something different, and you are the first thing I've laid eyes on that is. and I have said too much. I'm sorry.

Lucas : You are.

Peyton : What?

Lucas : Earlier, you asked me if you were pretty. You are. But it's your heart that makes you more than that.

it makes you beautiful.

Peyton : Thank you. this is me. Luke, no one knows about Dan loving my mother... no one else in the world.

just me, him, and now you.

Lucas : I won't say a word. You know, there's a sign above the door in my bar. it reads, People always leave... but I say, 'stay a while, have a nightcap'. Now ... maybe you and I can do that sometime.

Peyton : Leave? or have a nightcap?

Lucas : Whatever you'd like. Would it be all right if ...

Peyton : Just shut up and do it.

Lucas : Good night, Peyton.

IN THE PARK

Haley : Well, this is a most romantic table ever reserved for me ... and the most interesting of entrées. penny for your thoughts.

Nathan : I love you. I always have ... ever since the first time i saw you. I know this might sound crazy, but i just had to tell you, because...

Haley : What?

Nathan : I'm not afraid of dying. but i am afraid of dying without you knowing how i feel about you.

Haley : You're not going to die, Nathan Scott. you're going to come home... to me.

Nathan : I just think it's ...

Haley : Why don't you let me do the thinking for the both of us? I've got a crazy idea. do you trust me?

Nathan : Yes.

AT DAN'S GARAGE

Dan : You manage to find the money you owe me?

Brooke : No, but I have something much more valuable than money.

Julian : Hey, boss, officer Morello, will be here soon for his ... appointment. Hey, sugar.

Dan : What could you possibly have that i would want?

Brooke : Information ... about Peyton.

Dan : What kind of information?

Brooke : Forgive my debt, and I'll tell you.

Dan : No, you tell me, and I'll consider it. Besides, you owe me money. you really don't have a choice.

Brooke : what if i told you that your precious Peyton was sweet on Lucas Scott and that I saw them together last night?

Dan : I drove Peyton home last night. Besides, we've discussed this. She knows better than to get involved with him.

Brooke : Well, I saw it with my own eyes late last night. And I don't think she heard you, unless you told her it's okay to kiss him.

Dan : You're lying. Get her out of here.

Brooke : Such a shame about Peyton's mother ... considering how you loved her. You consider my debt paid in full.

Dan : Hell hath no fury. Pretty ruthless. There may be hope for you yet, Brooke Davis.

Brooke : Then we're square.

Dan : Not yet. There's one more thing you're gonna do for me.

OUTSIDE KAREN'S CAFE

Julian : You need a lift?

Skills : No, thanks.

Julian : You know, you could be making a lot more money at the comet club.

Skills : I'm doing just fine at Karen's.

Julian : Okay. All right. You're loyal. I get it. No hard feelings? Then again, I wouldn't call a piano player with a broken hand just fine.

Skills : No!

AT KAREN'S CAFE

Peyton : Hi.

Lucas : Didn't expect to see you here.

Peyton : I know. it might seem a little strange, but i would like for you to have this. when I was a little girl, my mother took me to a seaport. we met a sailor, and he took us out on the water. I felt free. and when he brought us back to the shore, i cried, because I didn't want to go home. and he told me that one day, I would be free to see the world, to do as i pleased. But until that day, to keep the dove as a reminder of that dream. the dove has always stood for peace and love. But for me, that dove has always stood for freedom.

Lucas : I can't accept this.

Peyton : It comforts me, Lucas and so do you. So I want you to have it. I should go.

Lucas : Stay a while.

Peyton : No. no, I think I'll hold out till that nightcap. wouldn't want a girl to look too needy.

AT DAN'S GARAGE

Dan : You had to be stubborn, huh? You couldn't just look the other way and take my handouts. Look at you ... Sitting there, all strong and proud, not even begging for your life. Wow, you really take the pleasure out of this. It kind of reminds me of Keith Scott. Oh, well. I'll get over it.

Julian : Hiya

ON THE BRIDGE

Julian : Here, have another drink, boozy.

Dan : You should have stuck to gossip columns instead where you don't belong. Gossip columns won't get you k*lled, kid.

Julian : Boss?

Peyton : Stop it! What is this?! Get off me.

Dan : What are you doing here?

Peyton : All this time ... I didn't want to believe That you were evil, that you were a liar, but I think I knew all along, so I followed you.

Dan : And what about you? How's Lucas doing, whore?

Mouth : He k*lled Lucas' uncle Keith. I said I was on the something, and I was right. He m*rder*d him.

Dan : Shut him up!

Peyton : Is that true?

Dan : Go wait in the car.

Peyton : Is that true?!

Dan : Go wait in the car! Go wait in the car.

Mouth : No. No! No!

IN THE HOTEL ROOM

*I want a dress, nice and pale* *with hat on the top*

Nathan : What are you thinking about?

Haley : The house we're going to live in right here in tree hill city.

Nathan : Anything else?

Haley : Well, since the house is going to be so big, I suppose we'll need children.

Nathan : A little girl, just like you.

Haley : Mnh-mnh, a son.

Nathan : We could name him James, like Haley James.

Haley : Jamie.

Nathan : Yeah.

*I wanna get married* *wanna be Mrs. S-c-o-t-t*

ON THE BRIDGE

Dan : Well, well. The boozy reporter finally cracks the case. Well done. I'll tell you what ... I'm a charitable guy. You beg for your life, and just maybe I'll set you free.

Mouth : No. I'm not crawling anymore ... not even for you. And pretty soon, no one else will, either. They'll find out that you k*lled Keith, Just like I did. And then they'll bring you down.

Dan : Oh, I'd say if anyone's going down, it's you. Hey, Mouth, be a friend and get that for me, will you? That last drink's on me.

Julian : Boss, Peyton's gone.

AT KAREN'S CAFE

Lucas : Hey, skills. Play something good for me? What happened to you?

Skills : Julian, Dan.

Peyton : They have mouth. they're gonna k*ll him.

Lucas : What?

Peyton : He found out that Dan k*lled Keith. Luke, I didn't know. I'm sorry.

Skills : Luke, what are you doing?

Peyton : Luke, we can be free. We can leave tonight.

Skills : Luke, listen to her. He knows she's here.

Peyton : You're gonna get hurt.

Lucas : He hurt me when he took Keith away from me. He's hurt everybody, including you. Somebody needs to stop him.

Peyton : Lucas.

Lucas : Were you serious when you told me you'd leave with me tonight?

Peyton : Yes.

Lucas : Skills, you've been a good man and a great friend, so I want you to have this place. It's yours.

Skills : I'm coming, too.

Lucas : No. You'd just hold me up anyway.

OUTSIDE KAREN'S CAFE

Peyton : Luke!

Julian : Get over here, Peyton. Peyton, now!

Lucas : She's with me.

Dan : Why does everything always have to be so messy? okay, okay. not even I'd sh**t a man in the back, Lucas. actually, that's not true. I've sh*t several men in the back. Most of them deserved it, but I wouldn't recommend you do it, 'cause i have a surprise for you. Ms. Davis? Put it down. That's a good boy. isn't this fun? okay, Ms. Davis, finish your job and your debt is clear.

Brooke : I'm sorry, Luke.

Lucas : Brooke, we've all had hard times. you don't have to do this.

Brooke : Yes, I do. I should have done this a long time ago.

Dan : Yeah, I thought so. women. you want something done right ...

Peyton : Luke.

Lucas : Peyton? I got you, I got you. hey, come on. no, it's gonna be okay. hold on, hold on, hold on. You're gonna be okay. Hey, we're gonna leave, remember? Yeah. just you and me ... We're gonna leave. Come on.

Peyton : I love you.

AT THE AIRPORT

*don't fight, don't fight, don't fight, don't fight* *don't do it again*

Nathan : I'm coming back to you, Haley. I am.

Haley : Is that a promise?

Nathan : as long as you wait for me, it is.

Haley : oh, I'll wait for you. I'll wait forever.

*don't say, don't say, don't say, don't say* *you're leaving this town*

Nathan : best day of my life.

*you're all I have in this life* *don't...* *and hear me out* *don't fool* *just hold me now* *don't take, don't take, don't take* *don't take it so lightly* *when you say, you say, you say* *when you say you love me* *I miss, I miss, I miss, I miss* *the way we would laugh* *I wish, I wish, I wish...*

Lucas : You're free now, Peyton.

*... that we could go back* *when you say, you say, you say* *when you say you love me*

Lucas : Peyton?

Peyton : Hi. did I wake you up?

Lucas : No. well, maybe.

Peyton : I'm sorry. I'm still at Tric. I'm gonna be home soon, though, okay?

Lucas : Oh, no worries, no worries. I just had the craziest dream. I'll tell you about it when you get home. okay? all right, I'll see you soon. and, Peyton... don't ever leave me, okay?

Peyton : Okay. bye.

Lucas : Whew.

*don't take, don't take, don't take* *don't take it so lightly* *... when you say, you say, you say...*