07x17 - Lies My Parents Told Me

Episode transcripts for this TV show, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." Aired March 1997 - May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A young girl, destined to slay vampires, demons and other infernal creatures, deals with her life fighting evil, with the help of her friends.

07x17 - Lies My Parents Told Me

Post by bunniefuu »

RECAP:

GILES (V.O.)

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer:

1 EXT. CEMETARY IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Giles is telling his story to the girls as they patrol. Buffy, Kennedy, Amanda and a new slayer in training are with him. From out of nowhere, someone att*cks Giles, knocking him to the ground. It's Spike.

BUFFY

(worried) Spike!

GILES

Why didn't your chip go off?

BUFFY

We were at the Initiative... (looks at Spike)

SPIKE

(looks at Buffy) There was a choice.

BUFFY

(looks at Giles) Right. Either repair the chip, or to remove it.

GILES

You removed the chip?

BUFFY

(smiling, trying to look innocent) Yeah.

Cut to:

2 INT. BUFFY'S ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Buffy's sitting at her vanity, putting on large gold hoop earrings. She's wearing a thin v-necked red sweater. Giles walks down the hall toward her room and stops at the doorway.

BUFFY

(turns to face Giles) Spike has a soul now. That's what's gonna stop him from hurting people.

GILES

Buffy...

BUFFY

He can be a good man, Giles. I feel it.

Cut to:

3 EXT. ALLEY IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Buffy realizes that Principal Wood is also fighting off vampires. Without her help. Principal Wood overpowers one of the vampires and stakes him. Then knocks the last one to the ground, staking him too. He flips the stake in his hand, then returns it to his belt holster as he walks back to Buffy.

Cut to:

4 INT. ROMANTIC FRENCH RESTAURANT - NIGHT

Buffy and Principal Wood are sitting across from each other at a small table in a very elegant, romantic restaurant. Principal Wood is talking to the waitress, ordering from the menu.

BUFFY

How do you know about slayers?

ROBIN

My mother was one. She was k*lled when I was four.

FLASHBACK: A very punk Spike is fighting with a young black woman in a New York subway car. He overpowers her, and, straddling her on the floor, he breaks her neck. (from episode 5x07 "Fool For Love")

BUFFY

(nervously) Um, something got her... a demon—?

ROBIN

A vampire.

Cut to:

5 INT. PRINCIPAL WOOD'S CAR - NIGHT

Principal Wood is driving the car, with Buffy as passenger and Spike in the back seat. Buffy's very tense and uncomfortable looking, and Spike's crouched down in the corner of the back seat.

ROBIN

(Principal Wood watches the rear view mirror suspiciously) So, how do you two know each other?

BUFFY

(answering too fast) He works with me. Uh, you know, in the struggle against evil.

Cut to:

6 INT. BASEMENT AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - NIGHT

Buffy and Lissa are fighting when Spike enters the room. Lissa starts whaling on Spike. She kicks Buffy away, knocking her to the ground. She pushes Spike down and starts strangling him, bringing forth Spike's vampire facade. Principal Wood sees Spike's face change.

ROBIN

He's a vampire.

Cut to:

7 INT. HALLWAY AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - NIGHT

Wearing the duster, Spike walks down the hallway toward the exit. He passes Principal Wood, who's standing in a doorway.

ROBIN

Nice coat. Where'd you get it?

FLASHBACK: A very punk Spike takes a leather duster from the woman he just k*lled, and puts on the coat. (from episode 5x07 "Fool For Love")

SPIKE

(walks by Wood without looking at him or stopping) New York.

Wood watches Spike walk away.

Fade to black.

End Recap.

The Start Of Episode

PROLOGUE:

8 EXT. PARK IN NEW YORK CITY - NIGHT

TITLE: New York City, 1977

It's pouring down rain in the middle of the night somewhere in the city. Two people are fighting in the paved walkway in a park. It's a pretty rough fight. Zoom in on them to show vamped Spike fighting Nikki. Nikki kicks Spike, sending him tumbling. He stands and speaks to her.

SPIKE

(exhilarated) Well, all right. Got the moves, don't you? I'm gonna ride you hard before I put you away, luv.

NIKKI

You sure about that? You actually look a little wet and limp to me. And I ain't your "luv."

Nikki kicks Spike and they begin fighting again. Zoom in on a nearby park bench. A little boy watches them from behind the bench, peeking through the slats. Spike and Nikki continue to fight. Spike overpowers Nikki, pushing her to the ground and straddling her, punching her repeatedly in the face. Nikki grabs Spike's arm and kicks him off of her. The little boy is still watching them fight. Nikki punches Spike, but this time, he grabs her arm and twists it around so that he can almost bite her neck. Alarmed, the boy stands, knocking over the trash can beside him. This startles Spike, who turns to see what happened. Nikki seizes the moment, and head-butts Spike, freeing herself from his grip. She then elbows him, punches him, and knocks him down. When he stands, she has a stake ready and throws it at his heart. Spike catches it between his palms only inches in front of his chest.

SPIKE

(grinning) I spent a long time trying to track you down. Don't want the dance to end so soon, do you, Nikki? The music's just starting, isn't it? (tosses the stake back toward her; it lands on the pavement; Spike starts to walk away, but swings around on a lamp post, staring at her) By the way...love the coat. (walks away)

YOUNG ROBIN

(from behind the bench) Mamma!

NIKKI

(goes up to Robin, squats down to be on eye-level with him) You did a good job, baby boy. You stayed down just like mamma told you.

YOUNG ROBIN

Can we go home now?

NIKKI

Uh-uh. It's not safe there anymore. How 'bout I leave you over at Crowley's house, and you can play with those spooky doodads that you like.

YOUNG ROBIN

No, I wanna stay with you.

NIKKI

(looks back over her shoulder, then back at Robin) Yeah, I know you do, baby. But remember, Robin, honey what we talked about. Always got to work the mission. (Robin looks down) Look at me. (Robin looks at Nikki) You know I love you, but I got a job to do. The mission is what matters...right? (Robin nods) That's my boy. Come on.

Nikki stands and takes Robin's hand. They walk away, but Robin turns around and runs back to the scene of the fight to pick up the stake that Spike dropped.

NIKKI

Robin? (turns to look)

Cut to:

9 EXT. ALLEY IN SUNNYDALE - NIGHT

Adult Robin Wood turns to look over his shoulder, stake in hand. He's fighting vampires, as are Buffy and Spike, who are there with him. Spike twirls a pole and stakes his opponent through the heart. Buffy's fighting a vampire, but calls out to Spike.

BUFFY

Spike! (nods her head toward Robin)

Spike looks over at Robin, who's fighting a vampire. The vampire is b*ating up on Robin, but just as the vampire throws Robin to the ground and stands over him growling, he turns to dust. As the dust settles, Spike can be seen standing behind the vampire with a shovel in his hand.

SPIKE

Little tip, mate. (offers Robin a hand to help him stand) Stake's your friend. Don't be afraid to use it. (starts to walk away, but notices Robin staring at him) What?

Robin just shakes his head. Zoom in on a stake in Robin's closed fist—he's squeezing it so tight that blood is oozing out between his fingers.

ROBIN

(glaring at Spike, mumbling under his breath) Just waiting for my moment.

Cut to:

Opening Credits.

ACT I:

10 INT. PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE AT SUNNYDALE HIGH - DAY

Robin is peeking out of his window through the Levelor blinds, watching the students in the hallway. His hand is bandaged. Buffy walks up to his door.

BUFFY

Situation still normal. (shrugs) Well, or as normal as this school ever sees.

ROBIN

(lets go of the blinds) So it appears. (turns)

BUFFY

(puts her purse down) Well, no fires, no one's head's going kablooey. And the swing choir and the marching band have gone back to their normal, healthy seething resentment.

ROBIN

(smiles) Yeah, it's been pretty quiet around here since you shut down that seal. (walks up to Buffy) You just may have stopped this thing, Buffy.

BUFFY

No, it can't be that easy.

ROBIN

You call that easy?

BUFFY

Hey, any apocalypse I avert without dying? Yeah, those are the easy ones.

ROBIN

(looks down) You know, you're, uh...You're something else, Miss Summers. (looks at Buffy) You know, I've been watching you when you're out patrolling, and you, um— You remind me of my, um...

BUFFY

Your mother?

ROBIN

Yeah. Yeah, what I remember of her, anyway.

BUFFY

Got to tell you, not a line every girl likes to hear, but—in this case— (smiles) compliment taken. Maybe you're right. Maybe everything is fine.

GILES

(walks up to Buffy) Everything's terrible. Total catastrophe.

BUFFY

Giles, what's wrong?

GILES

Have you seen the new library? There's nothing but computers. There's not a book to be seen. I—I don't know where to begin, Buffy. I mean, who do we speak to?

ROBIN

Uh, that would—that would be me. (offers his hand to Giles) Hi. I'm Robin Wood.

GILES

Oh, sorry. (shakes Robin's hand) Rupert Giles. Sorry. Buffy tells me you're something of a freelance demon fighter. (Robin points to his office door, then closes it) Oh, yes, yes. I, um, I'm relieved. We're running dangerously low on allies.

BUFFY

So, we didn't stop it, then?

Robin sits behind his desk, Buffy sits on it.

GILES

(leans forward on Robin's desk) Uh, no, the seers at the coven are certain the First is continuing to gather its forces. I'm afraid w*r is inevitable. (stands) So, we should go before the school board.

ROBIN

(confused) What?

GILES

Well, I can have my backup library (Buffy rolls her eyes) sent from home in the mean time. It's not much, but—

BUFFY

Giles.

GILES

Knowledge comes from crafted bindings and pages, Buffy, not ones and zeros.

BUFFY

So, did you bring back any potentials?

GILES

Um, no. Actually, m-my, uh, (takes off glasses to clean them) my trip is about something else...regarding Spike.

BUFFY

Spike? What about him?

GILES

I told you my concerns when you recklessly chose (puts glasses on) to remove the chip from his head.

ROBIN

Wait, sorry, chip?

GILES

Uh, it's a long story.

BUFFY

The m*llitary put a chip in Spike's head so he couldn't hurt anyone.

GILES

And that would be the abridged version.

BUFFY

But he wouldn't hurt anyone anymore because he has a soul now.

GILES

Unless the First triggers him again.

ROBIN

Triggers the chip?

BUFFY

No, the trigger's a post-hypnotic thing. The First put it in his head. It was—made him— He was k*lling again.

ROBIN

So, he has a trigger, a soul, and a chip?

GILES

Not anymore.

BUFFY

(angrily) It was k*lling him, Giles.

ROBIN

The trigger?

BUFFY

No, the chip. The trigger's not active anymore.

ROBIN

Because the m*llitary gave him a soul? (Buffy and Giles glare at Robin, who throws up his hands) Sorry.

GILES

We don't know that the trigger is inactive. (walks over to the window) What I brought back may help us to disarm it, to ascertain exactly what it is that causes Spike's behavior.

BUFFY

It was that song, Giles. I'm telling you, it was that song that Spike was singing.

GILES

He has no memory of it. Is there any part of it that you can remember?

BUFFY

It wasn't like it had a catchy hook or anything like "I'm coming up, so you better get this party started." It was boring, old, and English. Just like you—ull. Yule Brenner. (Giles crosses his arms and glares at Buffy) A British Yule Brenner.

ROBIN

(to Giles) This thing you brought to keep Spike from k*lling again... How's it work?

GILES

Well, it will require a bit of magic.

Cut to:

11 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Xander is fastening shackles around Spike's wrists.

XANDER

(mumbling) No, we couldn't have put these chains back up a week ago. Nah, we gotta work on Spike now, of all times.

SPIKE

What?

XANDER

(sighs, stands, looks around) Nothing. (walks away)

Pan around the room to show everyone's there: Dawn, Buffy, Giles, Robin, Xander. They're all staring at Spike, who's chained to the wall, sitting on his cot.

SPIKE

(to Robin) What are you doing here? You came to see the show?

ROBIN

I thought you might need support.

SPIKE

Uh-huh. Right, let's get this over with. (to Giles) What're you gonna do? Some hypno-beam? A disarming spell?

GILES

(walks up to Spike, but keeps his distance) Not exactly. The First has brainwashed you. There's something in your subconscious that it's using to provoke a violent reaction. So... (takes a small box out of his pocket, and takes a small rock out of the box) we have to put this in your brain.

SPIKE

Bugger that!

Buffy's eyes grow wide with concern when she sees the stone, but she remains quiet, standing there with her arms crossed.

GILES

The Prokaryote stone will move within your mind to reveal the root of the trigger's power. Can unleash ideas, images, memories... Hopefully, once you understand what it is that's...(rolls his eyes) setting you off, you can break its hold on you.

DAWN

Hopefully? So, it might not work?

GILES

The stone's just a catalyst for the process. The rest is up to Spike.

SPIKE

And how do expect to get that hunk of rubble into my cranium?

GILES

Willow? (puts the stone in the box and holds it out toward Willow)

WILLOW

(walks in carrying a large book) OK. I just hope my pronunciation is in the ballpark. (reading) "Kun'ati belek sup'sion. Bok'vata im kele'beshus. Ek'vota mor'osh boota'ke."

The stone starts to move like it's alive, no longer solid, but liquid. Giles leans back away from the stone and holds the box up to Spike.

SPIKE

(recoiling) Oh, you have got to be joking? What now?

GILES

It has to access the cerebral cortex via the optic nerve.

SPIKE

Oh, bollocks. With all the rubbish people keep sticking in my head, it's a wonder that there's room for my brain.

GILES

(rolls his eyes) I don't think it takes up that much space, do you?

Giles holds the box up to Spike's face. The liquid stone crawls out of the box onto Spike's cheek, then shimmies up into his eye, sliding under his eyelid. Spike starts to squirm.

SPIKE

Ow. Oh, ow!

BUFFY

(runs to his side) Spike! Spike, listen to me.

SPIKE

Yeah.

BUFFY

Are you all right?

SPIKE

How am I supposed to know if this bug-ugly's doing its job—

An orange light distracts Spike and he looks into a far off place.

Cut to:

12 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - DAY

Spike's looking off into another world. A man is standing, reading to an old woman who sits on a chair in front of him needle pointing. The room's decorated with lots of knick-knacks around, the walls are covered with paintings, and there's a cozy fire in the fireplace. Zoom in on the man to show it's Spike when he was alive, when he was William. He's reading from hand-written pages, presenting his poetry.

WILLIAM

Yet her smell, it doth linger, painting pictures in my mind.

Her eyes, balls of honey. Angel's harps her laugh.

Oh, lark. Grant a sign if crook'd be Cupid's shaft.

Hark, the lark, her name it hath spake.

"Cecily" it discharges from twixt its wee beak.

WOMAN

(proud) Oh, William...

WILLIAM

It's just...scribbling.

WOMAN

Nonsense. It's magnificent. I wonder, though. This Cecily of whom you write so often...

WILLIAM

(turns) Oh.

WOMAN

Would that be the Underwood's eldest girl?

WILLIAM

(shrugs, looks down) Uh, no, uh, no. I do not presume.

WOMAN

She's lovely. You shouldn't be alone. You need a woman in your life.

WILLIAM

(looks at the woman) I have a woman in my life.

WOMAN

But you ne— (giggles) Oh... (giggles)

WILLIAM

Well, do not mistake me. (takes off his reading glasses) I still have hopes that one day there will be an addition to this household, but I will always look after you, mother. This, I promise.

The woman has a coughing fit, and covers her mouth with a handkerchief. William hands her a glass of water. She puts down the hand holding her handkerchief when she drinks the water held with her other hand, but William can see there's blood on the handkerchief.

WILLIAM

Should I send the coach for Doctor Gull?

WOMAN/MOTHER

(shakes her head) I'll be all right. It's passed. Just sit with me a while, will you?

WILLIAM

Of course.

William sits on the floor, leaning on her knee as she goes back to her needle pointing and sings to him.

MOTHER

(singing) Early one morning, just as the sun was shining, I heard a maid sing in the valley below.

"Oh, don't deceive me. Oh, never leave me. How could you use a poor maiden so?"

William closes his eyes and listens to his mother sing.

Cut to:

13 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Spike opens his eyes again, and they turn yellow as he vamps out in a rage. He grabs Buffy's neck as she sits beside him and throws her across the room into the washer and dryer. He stands, growling, and lunges out toward the others standing there, but he's restrained by the chains. Then he turns to the cot, picks it up, and throws it across the room. It knocks Dawn down, and Willow runs to her side.

WILLOW

Dawn!

Xander, Giles, and Robin step back as Spike rages in their direction. Buffy steps forward, but Spike throws his head back and looks like he's having a mild seizure. The stone is coming out of his eye, slithers down his cheek, and falls to the floor, solid again. Spike's back to human face, looking around as Buffy and Giles stare at him, trying to determine if he's still dangerous. Spike pants as he recovers from the event. Robin glares at Spike.

Fade to black.

ACT II:

14 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Spike's squatting down on the floor, still chained to the wall. Buffy, Giles, and Robin are the only ones still down there with him, and they're keeping their distance.

SPIKE

Get these sodding things off me. I'm fine.

BUFFY

(arms crossed) Don't you think you should take a little time, calm down?

SPIKE

I am calm. (to Giles) This stone of yours is—is out, right? Did its job, so I'm de-triggered, right?

GILES

Spike, what do you remember about the song?

SPIKE

(nods, looks away) Oh, yeah, the song. It's called, uh, "Early One Morning." Old folk ditty.

ROBIN

What's it mean to you?

SPIKE

Mean? Nothing. It's just, uh, my mum. It was her favorite. She used to sing it to me... (smirks) when I was a baby.

GILES

And...?

SPIKE

No "and." That's it. Look, shouldn't you check on Dawnie? I clocked the niblet pretty fierce.

BUFFY

She'll be OK. She's tough.

Cut to:

15 INT. LIVING ROOM AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Willow's cleaning Dawn's bruised forehead. Willow and Dawn are sitting on the couch, Kennedy's sitting on the arm on the couch, just behind Willow, and Rona's standing beside Kennedy. Andrew, Anya and Xander are also in the room.

DAWN

Ow!

WILLOW

I'm sorry. (the phone rings, Andrew goes to answer it) Doesn't look like anything's broken?

DAWN

Did you use some sort of a magic x-ray?

WILLOW

No, that's just what people usually say. (Dawn pouts)

KENNEDY

So, Spike's trigger's been active this entire time?

RONA

How can Buffy take this for granted? I mean, he lives in our house, we train with him.

ANYA

Don't waste your time down that road. Spike's got some sort of "Get Out of Jail Free" card that doesn't apply to the rest of us. I mean, he could slaughter a hundred frat boys, and— (everyone looks at Anya disapprovingly; Anya laughs it off) Forgiveness makes us human. blah-dee-blah-blah-blah.

ANDREW

(holding the phone) Uh, Willow...call for you from L.A. Somebody named Fred. The guy sounds kind of effeminate.

Cut to:

16 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Giles is still interrogating Spike as Buffy and Robin look on.

GILES

Spike, listen to me. What is it about your mother?

SPIKE

I don't know. I got along fine with her. She was a nice lady.

GILES

Well there has to be more than that.

SPIKE

(screaming) Well, there bloody well isn't!

Buffy walks toward Spike, but Giles stops her.

GILES

What are you doing?

BUFFY

I'm going to unchain him.

GILES

Buffy, just—

BUFFY

(whispering) This is pointless, Giles. He doesn't know anything. Your prophylactic stone didn't work.

GILES

(whispering) Because he's not cooperating. This process takes time. He's blocking whatever's flooding his consciousness. And what he does—he's endangering us all.

ROBIN

So, the trigger's still working?

GILES

Much as ever. (turns away in disgust)

Spike fights against his chains. He looks at his hands, and a feminine hand clad in black lace slips into it.

Cut to:

17 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Spike looks up into Drusilla's eyes. He's back in the house where he was with his mother, but this time, William is dancing with Drusilla.

DRUSILLA

Ooh, such a pretty house you have, sweet William. It smells of daffodils...and viscera.

WILLIAM

Don't get too attached, now. (twirls her) Won't be here for long, luv.

DRUSILLA

(sits on the couch) Well then... (pats the seat beside her) should we give it a proper goodbye? (growls seductively)

WILLIAM

(walks toward her) You're a saucy one, aren't you? (sits beside her, kissing her passionately, grabs her up in his arms, and flings her across his lap, leaning in to kiss her again) Dru...we'll bring this world to its knees.

DRUSILLA

It's ripe and ready, my darling, waiting for us to devour its fruit.

WILLIAM

We'll ravage this city together, my pet. Lay waste to all of Europe. The three of us will teach those snobs and elitists with their falderal just what—

DRUSILLA

Three?

WILLIAM

You, me, and mother. (Drusilla looks away, disappointed) We'll open up their veins and bathe in their blood as they scream our names across— (he notices Dru's expression) What?

DRUSILLA

You...you want to bring your mum wif us?

WILLIAM

Well, yeah. You'll like her.

DRUSILLA

(scoffs) To eat, you mean?

William's mother comes into the parlor wearing her nightclothes.

MOTHER

William?

WILLIAM

(grabs Drusilla's hand, they stand) Uh, mother.

MOTHER

Where have you been? I've been beside myself for days.

WILLIAM

You needn't have worried, mother. You'll never have to worry about anything again. Something has happened. I've changed.

MOTHER

I—I don't— Who's this woman?

DRUSILLA

I'm the other that gave birth to your son.

MOTHER

I beg your pardon?

WILLIAM

It's true, mother. (holds out his hand to Drusilla, she takes his hand and walks forward) Drusilla—she...she has made me what I am. I am no longer bound to this mortal coil. I have become a creature of the night. A vampire.

MOTHER

Are you drunk?

WILLIAM

(looks down) A little bit. (Mother coughs, he walks forward) Think of it. No more sickness. No more dying. You'll never age another day. Let me do this for you.

MOTHER

What are you talking about, a-and why are you acting so strangely?

WILLIAM

It's all right, mother. It's only me. (hugs his mother) We'll be together forever.

MOTHER

William...

WILLIAM

(vamps out) It only hurts for a moment. (bites his mother's neck)

Cut to:

18 INT. BASEMENT AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - DAY

Willow walks down the stairs to the basement to talk to Buffy.

WILLOW

Buffy? Hey, I, uh, just got a phone call. I'm gonna have to take off for a while. Maybe a day or two?

BUFFY

What's wrong?

WILLOW

Nothing you need to worry about. I'll give you the full scoop later. Maybe I'll even bring back some good news?

BUFFY

Could use a little of that. OK. I guess now is as good a time as we're likely to see for a while. Just hurry back.

WILLOW

Will do. (walks upstairs)

Buffy walks toward Spike.

GILES

Think about what you're doing.

BUFFY

I have. (unchains Spike, then walks toward the stairs, with Spike following her)

GILES

Buffy...

BUFFY

(continues walking without stopping) Don't.

Buffy and Spike walk upstairs, Giles goes to follow, but Robin stops him.

ROBIN

Mr. Giles... You got a moment?

GILES

What's on your mind?

ROBIN

The same thing that's on yours. (looks up the stairs) We got ourselves a problem.

GILES

Spike. (sighs)

ROBIN

Yeah, if that trigger's still working, then the First must be waiting for just the right time to use it against us.

GILES

It does seem doubtful the First simply forgot it had such a powerful w*apon.

ROBIN

Yeah, a while back, it slipped up. It told Andrew it wasn't time yet for Spike. So, whatever the First's ultimate plan is, it's obvious that Spike must play an integral part in that. Something needs to be done.

GILES

(shakes his head) Buffy would never allow it. (walks back downstairs to talk with Robin)

ROBIN

Buffy would listen to her Watcher, wouldn't she?

GILES

I don't think you have much of an idea of the Watcher-Slayer dynamic.

ROBIN

As a matter of fact, I was raised by a Watcher.

GILES

You were?

ROBIN

Bernard Crowley. Took me in when I was a young kid, trained me.

GILES

Crowley. I remember the name. New York based watcher. Resigned shortly after his slayer was— (looks at Robin carefully) You're Nikki Wood's son.

ROBIN

(nods) Yes.

GILES

Spike k*lled your mother.

ROBIN

(looks away) Yes.

GILES

(looks down) Does Buffy know this?

ROBIN

She knows my mother was a slayer. She...doesn't know about Spike.

GILES

(shrugs) And this has nothing to do with personal vengeance?

ROBIN

Does it matter? He's an instrument of evil. Now he's gonna prove to be our undoing in this fight, Buffy's undoing, and she will never—never see it coming. Now, I'm talking about what needs to be done... for the greater good, Giles. And you know I'm right.

GILES

(sighs) What exactly do you propose?

ROBIN

I just need you to keep Buffy away for a few hours.

Cut to:

19 EXT. CEMETERY - NIGHT

Giles and Buffy are walking through the cemetery, talking.

BUFFY

I don't know, Giles. Is this really a primo time for a training session?

GILES

I'm still your teacher, Buffy. As adept as you are as a slayer, there are always new things to learn. Now, more than ever, it's crucial to maintain focus on your calling.

BUFFY

In case you haven't noticed, our plates are kinda full right now. Plus, I'm not really sure how I feel about leaving Spike at Robin's house to watch over him.

GILES

For what its worth everyone at your house seemed...quite relieved at the arrangement. Um, Buffy, uh...while I'm not technically your Watcher anymore, the fact that your life is such chaos only underscores the importance of the lessons I can impart to you.

BUFFY

Fine. Impart away.

GILES

We're on the verge of w*r. It's time you looked at the big picture.

BUFFY

Hello! All I do is look at the big picture. The other day, I gave an inspirational speech to the telephone repair man.

GILES

It takes more than rousing speeches to lead, Buffy. If you're going to be a general, you need to be able to make difficult decisions regardless of cost.

BUFFY

Have you seen me with those girls? (paces) I mean, the way I've treated my friends and my family and... Andrew. Believe me, I know how to make hard decisions.

GILES

Well, that's what we're here to find out. (a vampire reaches out of his grave) While we work on the basics.

Cut to:

20 EXT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin's unlocking the door to a shed.

SPIKE

You live in the garage?

ROBIN

This is just a work room. Kind of my, uh, sanctuary. (walks in, Spike follows)

SPIKE

A little place to unwind, eh?

Cut to:

21 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin and Spike are inside the shed now, but it's completely dark.

SPIKE

A hard day's prinipaling got you down, you need a place to cut loose, let your hair down—so to speak.

Robin flips on the lights in the shed to reveal that every square inch of the walls inside are covered with wooden crosses.

SPIKE

(looks around) What the bloody hell is this?

ROBIN

Well, I told you. It's my, um, sanctuary. It's the hell mouth, Spike. You can never be too careful. Just, um, stay away from the walls, and you'll be all right. (goes to his computer)

SPIKE

It's a bit much, isn't it? (b*at) What's your story, Wood?

ROBIN

No story, really. Just trying to do what's right. Make a difference. How 'bout you? What kind of man are you, Spike?

SPIKE

Sorry. Not much for self reflection.

ROBIN

Yeah, makes sense. (types on the computer, unbuttons his shirt) See, you strike me as the kind of guy who just careens through life, (takes off his shirt, reaches into a drawer near the computer to strap on fighting paraphernalia to his arms) completely oblivious to the damage he's doing to everyone around him.

SPIKE

That right?

ROBIN

Oh, I know more about you than you think, Spike. See, I've been searching for you for a very, very long time. (looks at Spike) Ever since you k*lled my mother.

SPIKE

I've k*lled a lot of people's mothers.

ROBIN

(turns back toward the desk to continue putting on his gear) Yeah. You'd remember mine. She was a slayer.

SPIKE

So, that's it, innit? Brought me here to k*ll me?

ROBIN

(turns to face Spike) No, I don't wanna k*ll you, Spike. I wanna k*ll the monster who took my mother away from me. (clicks the mouse on the computer; a song starts playing; the screen reads "Early One Morning.")

RECORDED SONG

Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I hear a young maid sing in the valley below. "Oh, don't deceive me. Oh, never leave me. How could you use a poor maiden so?"

Spike tries to stifle his reaction, but the monster overtakes him. He goes into vampire facade and growls menacingly at Robin.

ROBIN

There he is.

Fade to black.
ACT III:

22 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

William walks into the house and puts down his coat. He sees the cane his mother used to use when walking.

WILLIAM

(looks around) Mother?

William hears "Early One Morning" playing from a music box somewhere. He turns to see his mother standing there, holding the box. She looks different than before. Now, her hair is down, and she looks healthier.

MOTHER

(smiling) Hello, William.

WILLIAM

Look at you.

MOTHER

Mm, yes. All better.

WILLIAM

You're glowing. (smiles)

MOTHER

Am I? Well, I suppose I have you to thank for that, don't I? (shuts the music box) How ever will I repay you?

WILLIAM

Seeing you like this is payment enough.

MOTHER

Oh, William, you're so... (touches his face) tender.

WILLIAM

Well, this is as it should be, mother. You and I together. All of London laid out before us.

MOTHER

(smiles) Ah, yes. Us.

WILLIAM

First, we'll feast. Then the night is yours. Theater, perhaps. Dancing? Tell me, (touches her back) what's your pleasure?

MOTHER

(turns to him) Pleasure? To take my leave of you, of course. "The lark hath spake from twixt its wee beak?" You honestly thought I could bear an eternity listening to that twaddle?

Cut to:

23 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin punches vamped Spike in the face. Spike growls back at him.

ROBIN

That's right, dog. Fight back.

Cut to:

24 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Resume. William's Mother is talking to William.

MOTHER

I feel extraordinary. It's as though I've been given new eyes. I see everything. Understand... (looks at William, frowns) everything.

WILLIAM

(disturbed) Mother...

MOTHER

I hate to be cruel— No, I don't. I used to hate to be cruel in life. Now, I find it rather freeing. Nothing less will pry your greedy little fingers off my apron strings, will it?

WILLIAM

(looks away) Stop. Please.

MOTHER

(walks closer to William) Ever since the day you first slithered from me like a parasite...

Cut to:

25 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin is whaling on Spike, who isn't fighting back.

Cut to:

26 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Resume. William's Mother is talking to William.

WILLIAM

What're you s—

MOTHER

Had I known better, I could have spared myself a lifetime of tedium and just—

Cut to:

27 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin backs Spike into the cross-covered walls.

Cut to:

28 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Resume. William's Mother is talking to William. He's backing away from her.

MOTHER

Dashed your brains out when I first saw you.

Cut to:

29 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin presses growling Spike's face toward the cross-covered walls.

Cut to:

30 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Resume. William's Mother is talking to William, who looks disgusted and turns away from her.

MOTHER

(turns away) God, I prayed you'd find a woman to release me, (looks at him) but you scarcely showed an interest. Who could compare to your doddering housebound mum? A c*ptive audience for your witless prattle.

Cut to:

31 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Spike's face is burning as Robin presses it into the cross-covered walls.

Cut to:

32 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

Resume. William recovers from his disgust and walks up to his mother.

WILLIAM

Whatever I was, that's not who I am anymore.

MOTHER

(snickers, walks up to him) Darling, it's who you'll always be. A limp... sentimental fool.

Cut to:

33 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Robin throws Spike into shelving that collapses around Spike, who lands on the floor. Robin walks up to him.

ROBIN

It hurts, don't it? (straddles Spike, grabs him by the collar) Is this what it felt like (punches Spike) when you b*at the life out of her, (punches Spike) toyed with her, (punches Spike, then screams) when you snapped her neck!

Cut to:

34 EXT. CEMETERY - NIGHT

Buffy's fighting the fledgling vampire as Giles watches patiently. Just as Buffy's about to stake the vamp, Giles interrupts.

GILES

Don't k*ll him yet.

BUFFY

What? Why not?

GILES

Because I'm asking you not to. (Buffy rolls her eyes, then rolls off the vampire; they begin fighting again) Would you let this vampire live if he began saving the world?

BUFFY

Sure. (punches the vampire in the face) Seems like a nice enough guy.

VAMPIRE

Thanks.

BUFFY

No problem.

VAMPIRE

My name's Richard.

BUFFY

Hi, Rich. (punches the vampire again, knocking him down) Giles, we had this conversation when I told you that I wouldn't sacrifice Dawn to stop Glory from destroying the world.

GILES

Ah, yes, but things are different, aren't they? After what you've been through, faced with the same choice now, (paces) you'd let her die.

BUFFY

If I had to...to save the world. Yes.

The vampire gets up and att*cks Buffy from behind. They continue to fight.

BUFFY

(the vampire tries to strangle her; to Giles) Can I k*ll this guy yet?

GILES

No. (Buffy and the vampire continue to fight) So, you really do understand the difficult decisions you'll have to make? That anyone of us is expendable in this w*r?

BUFFY

Have you heard my speeches?

GILES

That we cannot allow any thr*at that would jeopardize our chances at winning?

BUFFY

Yes, I get it.

GILES

And yet there is Spike.

Buffy and the vampire continue to fight.

Cut to:

35 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Spike's lying on the floor, beaten, and barely moving. Robin stands over him, removing his fighting gear.

ROBIN

Animal like you. Never cared for anyone but yourself. No one else mattered. (puts on his shirt) Just all about the hunt. (removes Spike's leather jacket, folds it) Yeah. (puts the jacket down)

Robin breaks off a piece of a wooden cross from the wall and stand over Spike.

Cut to:

36 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

William's mother is talking nastily to William as she backs him up to the fireplace.

MOTHER

You want to run, don't you? Scamper off and cry to your new little trollop. Do you think you'll be able to love her? (leans too close to William) Think you'll be able to touch her without feeling me? (William looks around, panicked and disgusted, for a way to escape this disturbing situation) All you ever wanted was to be back inside. (touches his face, his body) You finally got your wish, didn't you? Sank your teeth into me. An eternal kiss.

WILLIAM

(shakes his head) No. I only wanted to make you well.

MOTHER

You wanted your hands on me. Perhaps you'd like a chance to finish off what you started.

WILLIAM

(pushes her away, looks away from her) I love you. I did. Not like this.

MOTHER

Just like this. This is what you always wanted. Who's my dark little prince? (tries to kiss him)

WILLIAM

(pushes her away, knocking her down) No!

MOTHER

Get out. Get out! (stands, swinging her cane at William; they struggle and he breaks the wooden cane; Mother transforms into vampire facade) There, there, precious. It will only hurt for a moment.

WILLIAM

I'm sorry.

Cut to:

37 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Standing over Spike with a stake, Robin stops when he hears Spike's words.

ROBIN

What?

SPIKE

I'm sorry.

Cut to:

38 INT. VICTORIAN PARLOR - NIGHT

William drives the wooden cane shaft into his mother's heart. Her vampire face melts away, leaving the sympathetic face of his mother to stare at him in shock for an instant before she turns to dust in front of his eyes.

Cut to:

39 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Spike reaches up to grab Robin's wrist just in time to prevent him from staking him. He kicks Robin away.

ROBIN

(turns to Spike) Sorry? You think sorry's gonna make everything right?

SPIKE

I wasn't talking to you. (Robin kicks at Spike and misses; Spike punches Robin, knocking him down) I don't give a piss about your mum. She was a slayer. I was a vampire. (Spike kicks Robin) That's the way the game is played.

ROBIN

Game?

Robin lunges at Spike, but Spike punches him again and again before jumping up to hold onto the ceiling rafter and kicking Robin across the room.

SPIKE

She knew what she was signing up for.

ROBIN

(from the floor) Well, I didn't sign up for it. (stands)

SPIKE

Well, that's the rub, innit? You didn't sign up for it

ROBIN

You took my childhood. (punches at Spike) You took her away. (punches Spike again, but Spike pushes him off) She was all I had. She was my world.

SPIKE

And you weren't hers. Doesn't that piss you off?

ROBIN

Shut up. You didn't know her.

Robin spins and kicks Spike. Spike knocks Robin down. Robin tries to kick Spike from the floor, but Spike grabs his leg.

SPIKE

I know slayers. (throws Robin against the wall) No matter how many people they've got around them, they fight alone. Life of the chosen one. (Robin appears injured) The rest of us be damned. Your mother was no different.

ROBIN

(not moving, choking a bit) No, she loved me.

SPIKE

But not enough to quit, though, was it? Not enough to walk away... for you. (kneels beside Robin) I'll tell you a story about a mother and son. See, like you, I loved my mother. So much so I turned her into a vampire... (nods) so we could be together forever. She said some nasty bits to me after I did that. Been weighing on me for quite some time. (points at Robin) But you helped me figure something out. You see, unlike you, I had a mother who loved me back. When I sired her, I set loose a demon, and it tore into me, but it was the demon talking, not her. (stands) I realize that now. (walks toward the computer) My mother loved me with all her heart. I was her world. (clicks the mouse, playing the recording again)

RECORDED SONG

Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I heard a young maid sing in the valley below. "Oh—

SPIKE

(unfazed by the song) That's a nice little song you got there. (clicks, stopping the song, turns to face Robin) Thanks, doc. You cured me after all. I got my own free will, now. I'm not under the First's or anyone else's influences now. I just wanted you to know that... (vamps out) before I k*ll you.

Spike grabs Robin, standing him up so Spike can bite his neck. Robin winces.

Fade to black.

ACT IV:

40 EXT. CEMETERY - NIGHT

Buffy is still fighting the vampire as Giles watches.

GILES

(pacing) Spike's a liability, Buffy. He refuses to see it, and so do you. Angel left here because he realized how harmful your relationship with him was. Spike, on the other hand, lacks such self-awareness.

BUFFY

(stops fighting, turns to Giles) Spike is here because I want him here. We need him. I'm in the fight of my life.

VAMPIRE

Really?

BUFFY

Not you, Richard. (punches him)

GILES

You want Spike here even after what he's done to you in the past?

BUFFY

It's different now. He has a soul.

GILES

And the First is exploiting that to his advantage.

BUFFY

Oh, my God. (stakes the vampire) You're stalling me. You're keeping me away—

GILES

It's time to stop playing the role of general, and start being one. (Buffy runs off; Giles calls after her) This is the way wars are won.

Cut to:

41 EXT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Spike walks out of the shed, putting on his leather jacket. Buffy runs up to the shed just as he's walking away. Her face appears tear-streaked, but she's not crying now.

BUFFY

Spike? What happened? (Spike opens the door; Buffy sees Robin sitting on the floor, slumped over) Oh, my God.

SPIKE

I gave him a pass. Let him live. On account of the fact I k*lled his mother. But that's all he gets. (starts walking away, but stops) He even so much as looks at me funny again, (points) I'll k*ll him.

Buffy closes her eyes and sighs before going into the shed.

Cut to:

42 INT. WORKSHOP AT ROBIN'S PLACE - NIGHT

Buffy walks up to Robin, who's trying to stand. She looks around the room, then walks up to Robin again.

BUFFY

I lost my mom a couple years ago. I came home and found her dead on the couch.

ROBIN

(weakly) I'm sorry.

BUFFY

I understand what you tried to do, but she's dead.

ROBIN

Because he m*rder*d her.

BUFFY

I'm preparing to fight a w*r, and you're looking for revenge on a man that doesn't exist anymore.

ROBIN

Buffy, don't delude yourself... That man still exists.

BUFFY

Spike is the strongest warrior we have. We are gonna need him if we're gonna come out of this thing alive. (Robin sighs) You try anything again, he'll k*ll you. (Robin laughs) More importantly, I'll let him. (Robin looks at Buffy) I have a mission to win this w*r, to save the world. I don't have time for vendettas. (walks away) The mission is what matters.

Cut to:

43 INT. UPSTAIRS AT BUFFY'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Buffy tucks Dawn into bed, and walks out into the hallway, closing the door behind her. Giles walks up to her as she goes into her doorway.

GILES

Buffy...I—I understand your anger. Please believe me, we did what we—

BUFFY

(not looking at Giles) He's alive. Spike's alive. Wood failed.

GILES

Well, that doesn't change anything. What I told you is still true. You need to learn—

BUFFY

(looks at Giles) No, I think you've taught me everything I need to know. (shuts her door)

Cut to:

Closing credits.