01x15 - Red Handed

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Once Upon A Time". Aired October 2011 - May 2018.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A woman with a troubled past is drawn to a New England town where fairy tales are to be believed.

01x15 - Red Handed

Post by bunniefuu »

–[Real World]–

(Emma and David are sitting in Emma’s office at the station. She hands him a mug of tea.)

David: Thank you. I hope Kathryn’s somewhere warm, not out in the cold.

Emma: David. I think you need to start worrying about yourself a little bit more here. Your wife is missing. You are in love with another woman. There’s this… Unexplained phone call.

David: I know, I know. I just… I can’t explain why it says that. I didn’t do anything to my wife.

Emma: I’m pretty good at spotting a liar. And, honestly, liars have better material. Now, go home.

David: I can go?

Emma: We don’t even know if there was a crime yet. So, get some sleep.

David: Thank you.

(David stands up to leave.)

Emma: And, David? Maybe… Get a lawyer.

———–

(At Granny’s Diner, Ruby is flirting with August, who is sitting at one of the tables.)

Ruby: You can’t be serious. A whole year without a roof over your head?

August: Well, you get used to it. Plus, I had the motorcycle. So, if I didn’t like a place after a while…

(Granny calls for Ruby, but Ruby ignores her.)

Granny: Ruby?

Ruby: I’ve never even been out of Storybrooke. What was your favourite place?

August: Nepal. Best people. They have these prayer temples carved into mountains that are overrun with lemurs.

Ruby: What’s a lemur?

Granny: Ruby!

Ruby: Just give me a sec!

August: They’re little animals. And they have these eyes that reflect light. So, at night, it looks like they glow.

(Granny, again, calls Ruby over to the counter.)

Granny: Ruby! Stop flirting and get over here!

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Peter knocks on the shutter of Red and Granny’s cottage. Red, imitating the voice of an old woman, calls out from inside.)

Red: Who’s there?

Peter: Let me in.

Red: I’m just a poor, old widow. Spare me!

Peter: Let me in, or I’ll…

Red: Yes?

Peter: I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow the-

(Red opens the shutters.)

Red: You’ll huff and puff?

Peter: I couldn’t think of nothing.

Red: Oh, so you thought that you’d level the house with the power of your breath? Well, a case could be made…

Peter: Oh, ho ho-

Red: Shh! Granny’s in the other room. You know she doesn’t like me opening the shutters.

Peter: No, she doesn’t like me.

Red: That’s what I meant.

Peter: You got to get out of here.

Red: I know. Anywhere.

Peter: Well, a blacksmith’s boy can get work all over.

Red: You’d leave everyone you know? You’d do that for me?

Peter: I’d do anything for you.

Red: Peter, watch out. Your air of danger is slipping.

Peter: Come out – just for a minute.

Red: It’s already dark. She’d never let me.

(Granny yells for Red. Red tries to go back in, but Peter holds onto her wrist.)

Granny: Red! Where are you? What are you doing?

Red: Let go.

Peter: Pay the price. One kiss.

Granny: Red, get in here!

(Red quickly kisses Peter and shuts the shutters. She goes into the main room, where several men with torches are talking to Granny.)

Red: What’s going on?

Granny: Nothing that concerns you. Just a bunch of fools trying to get themselves k*lled over a few dead sheep.

Man: Wolf took out a dozen last night.

Red: So, you called me in here to what? Just to keep me in sight?

Man: Good evening, Red. We’re just forming up a hunting party.

Red: You’re hunting the wolf? Can I go with them, please? I’ll be safe in a big group.

Granny: Don’t be ludicrous. You are staying inside and you’re keeping that hood on. You know red repels wolves.

Red: They’re not wearing red.

Granny: They’re damn fools, too. There’s only two more nights left in Wolfstime – let it take a few sheep. Now, go home.

(Granny shuts the door in their faces.)

Red: I hope they k*ll the wolf. Then, we can have lives again.

Granny: You just want to roam around the woods with that wastrel – Peter.

Red: He’s not a wastrel. He works hard. He has plans.

Granny: Oh, I am sure he does. Now, come on. You know what to do.

(Granny and Red prepare the cottage for defense against the wolf. They barricade and lock the doors and windows, as well as barring the fireplace.)

Granny: Now, go to sleep, girl.

Red: Yes, Granny.

Granny: I hope I don’t see that boy mooning around here tomorrow. And wear the hood!

(Red goes into her room, while Granny sits facing the door with a crossbow.)

–[Real World]–

(At the diner, Ruby finally goes to meet Granny at the counter.)

Ruby: I can’t believe you did that. That was humiliating.

Granny: I want you to start working Saturday nights.

Ruby: Come on – we have an agreement about Saturday night.

Granny: I want to start training you to do the books and the reorders. Business is booming lately, and, with more money, comes more paperwork.

Ruby: Yeah. None of that sounds good.

Granny: It’s got to be done.

Ruby: Is this a punishment for talking to that guy?

Granny: If I wanted to punish you, I’d have better reasons. For one thing, you were late. For another thing, Liza, you dress like a drag queen during Fleet Week.

Ruby: And you dress like Norman Bates when he dresses like Norman Bates’ mother.

Granny: Ruby, you’re a grown woman. You can’t keep acting like some kid.

Ruby: You just want me to act like you until I turn into you. Well, I am not a fossil yet, Granny. I should be out there having adventures with lemurs!

Granny: Well, as long as you work here, you are going to listen to me.

Ruby: I didn’t ask to work here.

Granny: Well, then what’s keeping ya?

Ruby: Nothing! I quit!

(Ruby storms out of the diner.)

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Ruby exits her room and finds Granny still guarding the front door.)

Red: Did you get any sleep at all last night?

Granny: I’ll sleep with the trolls in the afterlife. I’ll get the shutters. You go check if that wolf left the chickens alone.

Granny: Wear your hood!

———–

(Red is collecting eggs in the chicken coop. When she goes to leave, she hears a noise coming from the corner. Snow White, who is holding two eggs, shows herself.)

Snow White: I’m sorry. I can go.

Red: Are you…stealing our eggs?

Snow White: No. …Not a lot.

Red: Hey, hey. It’s… It’s all right.

Snow White: Thank you. It was just that, um, last night… There was something out there. There was howling, and… I heard it. And it was so cold, so…

Red: Hey. Come on – come with me. Everyone calls me Red.

Snow White: I’m Sn- Frosty.

Red: Frosty? Really?

Snow White: No. It’s just that someone’s looking for me, so…

Red: You don’t know or trust me yet. Hey, I-I get it. I just need something to call you.

Snow White: Uh, Margaret. Oh, no. Uh, Mary.

Red: Mary. Well, then, Mary – come on.

(Snow White follows Red out of the chicken coop and into the forest. They head towards a well.)

Red: I just got to bring in some water before we go in. It’ll just take a second.

Snow White: What was all that howling?

Red: It’s Wolfstime. k*ller wolf out there. As big as a pony, but a lot more bloodthirsty. It’s been stalking the area pretty regular. It kills cattle and… Hang on.

(Red grabs the rope of the bucket in the well.)

Red: It sticks sometimes. Could you just…

(Snow White helps Red pull up the bucket. When she turns around, she seems shocked by what she sees.)

Red: Look. Look at that. Mary, look at the water.

(The water in the bucket is red.)

Red: Mary. Mary. Mary?

(Red turns around and sees what Snow White is staring at. Behind them in the clearing, there are several bloody bodies.)

–[Real World]–

(Mary Margaret runs to catch up with Emma on the street. The two of them walk together.)

MMB: Is he okay? David?

Emma: Oh, yeah. He’s a little shaken up, but he’s headed home. He’s fine.

MMB: Any word from Kathryn?

Emma: Nothing new.

MMB: Did you check with Boston again?

Emma: She’s not there, Mary Margaret.

MMB: So, we have no idea what happened to her?

Emma: All we know, is that she found out about you two, gave you a well-deserved slap, and then disappeared.

MMB: Well-deserved? Do you really believe that?

Emma: No. I’m just preparing you for what everyone else is going to think. You two are going to look bad until we figure the truth out.

MMB: You mean David? Th-That people are going to think in order to… Be free with me…

Emma: Some are. And, he’s not doing himself any favours. So, if there’s anything you could think of to pin down his whereabouts that night-

MMB: He wasn’t with me. We really are through.

(The two of them come across Ruby, who is waiting at a bus stop, and Dr. Whale, who is talking to her.)

Ruby: Sorry. No, don’t need a ride.

Dr. Whale: It’s awfully cold out here.

Ruby: I’m fine – really.

Dr. Whale: I can carry your bag. Where are you headed?

MMB: Dr. Whale?

Dr. Whale: Mary Margaret. Emma. Hello there.

MMB: Hey.

Dr. Whale: I was just having a talk with Ruby here. But, I should, um…

Emma: Yeah. Yeah, you should.

Dr. Whale: Yeah…

(He leaves.)

MMB: Was he bothering you?

Ruby: The day I can’t handle a lech is the day I leave town. Which this is, I guess.

Emma: You’re leaving?

Ruby: I had a fight with Granny. Quit my job.

MMB: You quit? Where you going?

Ruby: I don’t know. Away.

Emma: Yeah, well, buses out of town don’t really happen. And, you might want a destination first.

MMB: Hey, if you need a place to figure things out, you could always come home with us.

Emma: Yeah, uh. Yeah. Just for a little while.

MMB: Come on.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(All of the village’s citizens are gathered at the tavern. One of the men who was with the hunting party speaks to the group.)

Man: The one thing I know, is that last night, was the very last m*ssacre.

(Everyone cheers.)

Man: You know, if I had stayed with that party for another ten minutes, I, too, would be among the dead.

(Granny, Red, and a disguised Snow White enter.)

Man: And, when I think if I’d only doubled back, maybe…I could’ve caught it in the act. Maybe, I would’ve been able to slay the creature.

Granny: You would not.

Man: Widow Lucas.

Granny: This creature is more powerful than you can imagine. You wouldn’t have a chance. Stay inside, hide your children, forget your livestock.

Man: You said all this before.

Granny: But, I haven’t said how I know. Nearly threescore years ago, I was a child with six older brothers. Big as oak trees, all of them veterans of the Second Ogres w*r. And my father, the biggest of them all. Come one Wolfstime, he decided to go out and take on the wolf. A different wolf back then, of course, but just as fearsome. They went out there to protect me. I was supposed to be asleep, but I crawled out on the roof to watch and lay down in the thatch. They had the beast surrounded, the seven of them, with spears all pointed in at it. And then it started. It was lunging – not at the men, at the spears. Grabbing with its teeth, breaking the shafts. They stabbed it with the splintered end, but it didn’t matter. It tore their throats so fast, that not a one of them got a chance to scream… Or pray… Or say goodbye. When my father d*ed, I tumbled from the roof, and I landed in the blood in front of the wolf. I felt its breath on my face. Then, it clamped its hot jaw on my arm, and I rolled away.

(She pulls back her sleeve, revealing several large, parallel scars.)

Granny: Then, it looked at me with eyes so black, they weren’t even there. Then, it walked away. You ever see a wild animal just turn its back and walk away like you don’t matter? If this wolf is like that one, there is no defeating it. It’s already won just by existing in our world. You don’t k*ll it – you just hide.

———–

(Red and Snow White are sitting by the fireplace at the cottage.)

Snow White: So, your Granny’s kind of intense.

Red: Yeah, a bit. I feel like a rat in a trap.

Snow White: Is this trap keeping you from…being with someone?

Red: How did you know?

Snow White: Well, I saw some looks exchanged back there, and, I hate to break it to you, but it wasn’t subtle.

Red: Yes. Peter. We’ve been friends forever, but… Now things are… Well, changing.

Snow White: That must be nice.

Red: Do you have someone?

Snow White: Oh, no. I’m not sure that’s in my future. You’re lucky, Red.

Red: I know. And we’re talking about going away together. But I don’t even get any time with him. Granny’s too afraid of the wolf to let me out alone. You saw what the wolf did. Sometimes, I wonder if she’s right.

Snow White: Oh, she’s right about the wolf. But, she’s wrong to use it to keep you from love.

Red: You think that’s what she’s doing? Let’s k*ll the wolf.

Snow White: Hang on.

Red: We’d be heroes.

Snow White: Red, teams of trained hunters have been k*lled.

Red: But they go at night when it’s got the advantage. If we went now, we could find it slumbering in its den and k*ll it in its sleep. Come on.

Snow White: Red, I don’t know.

Red: I’m going – with or without you. But, you’re right – I can’t let her keep me trapped forever.

–[Real World]–

(Mary Margaret drives her car along the road out of Storybrooke and pulls over just before she reaches the sign. She gets out and goes into the woods. A short ways into the woods, she hears a rustling sound. Suddenly, David appears through the brush.)

MMB: I-it’s you. You okay? You’re looking for Kathryn, too?

David: I’m looking.

MMB: She knows you didn’t do anything. Emma, I mean. She can tell when people are lying, so… She knows. And I’ll stand with you. I’ll tell everyone this isn’t possible. She’s going to turn up somewhere. That’s why we’re out here, right?

David: I’m looking.

(Mary Margaret notices that David isn’t quite all there.)

MMB: David?

(David begins to wander back into the woods. She yells to him, but he doesn’t seem to hear her.)

MMB: David? David!

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Snow White and Red are searching for tracks in the forest.)

Snow White: What about that?

Red: That’s a dog. See how small that is? Don’t look where the snow’s drifted – it covers tracks.

Snow White: Hey. Over here.

Red: That…is a rabbit. What we’re looking for will be huge. Like a dog print, but big. Like, eight inches across with big, long claws.

Snow White: Like these?

(There is a trail of massive paw prints leading through the forest.)

Red: Yes. And those. Oh, my gods. How big is this thing?

Snow White: This was one stride? From here… To there?

Red: Come on – over there. Through the brush, and off towards the hill.

Snow White: You’re good at this.

Red: When there’s something I want, I’m good at tracking it down.

–[Real World]–

(At the station, Henry is searching the internet for a job for Ruby. Ruby is sitting next to him, while the phone on the desk continuously rings.)

Henry: Want to be a bike messenger?

Ruby: Bike messenger?

Henry: That’s about taking things to people in a little basket.

Ruby: Nope. Yeah, see, I’m not so great at bike riding.

Henry: How about taking things on foot, to people, in a little basket?

Ruby: I’m not so sure that’s a real job.

(The phone rings again.)

Ruby: Why do the phones keep doing that?

Henry: Oh, the non-emergency calls go to a machine when Emma’s busy.

(The phone rings, again, but Ruby answers it.)

Ruby: Sheriff’s station. How can I help you? Mmhmm. I’ll get her to return. Thank you, too.

(She answers the next call.)

Ruby: Sheriff’s station. Hey, Miss Ginger. Uh, no, that’s not a prowler. That’s Archie’s dog – Pongo. Throw him a vanilla wafer. He’ll quiet down. Did you still want to talk to Emma? Great. Glad I could help.

(Emma, who has overheard Ruby on the phone, walks in.)

Emma: How’s it going, you two?

Ruby: Great. Except I can’t do anything.

Emma: I’m sure that’s not true. I just saw you on the phone. That was good.

Ruby: That? That’s nothing.

Emma: No. No, it isn’t. I actually have some money in the budget if you want to help out around here.

Ruby: Yes! Thank you! Yes. Um, I could answer phones and help out. Um, is there anything else that you need done? Organize files, cleaning up? Please – I want to be useful.

Emma: I’m swamped with the Kathryn Nolan thing. If you maybe want to grab us lunch, I would never say no to a grilled cheese.

Ruby: Done. You want anything?

Henry: Um, two chocolate chip cookies, an apple pie, and a hot dog.

Emma: He ate at school.

(As Ruby goes to leave, Mary Margaret enters.)

Ruby: Hey! Lunch, Mary Margaret? I’m getting for everyone.

MMB: Uh, no. I’m not hungry.

(Ruby leaves.)

MMB: David’s in the woods. There’s something wrong with him. He looked right through me. It’s like… It’s like he was a different person.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Red and Snow White are still tracking the wolf through the forest.)

Snow White: Here’s another one.

Red: Right. And then here’s…

(Red looks down, and notices that the tracks no longer resemble just paw prints.)

Snow White: What?

Red: This print – it looks like it’s… Half-wolf and half-boot. See?

Snow White: Wolves don’t wear boots.

Red: No, they don’t.

Snow White: Then it just continues like it was a man?

Red: Like it was a man and a wolf.

Snow White: Red, what kind of monster is this?

(The two of them continue to follow the tracks.)

Red: So…

Snow White: Yeah?

Red: Wolfstime is once a month on the full moon. There’s a story I heard once about a creature-

Snow White: Hey. Aren’t we awfully close to the cottage?

(They see the tracks lead to the side window of Red and Granny’s cottage.)

Snow White: Who’s gone to your window, Red? Is it Peter? Red, has he been at your window?

Red: Last night – before the killings. And he never joined the guys to hunt the wolf.

Snow White: But I’m sure he wouldn’t have k*lled them.

Red: He wouldn’t. But when the wolf takes over…

Snow White: What about tonight’s hunting party?

Red: They’re going to k*ll him. Or he’s going to k*ll them.

Snow White: It doesn’t have to be that way.

Red: What can we do?

Snow White: Tell him. If he doesn’t know, tell him. Stop him. If he’ll listen to anyone, if he’ll believe anyone, it’s you.

Red: You think I can save him?

Snow White: I think you can save everyone.

Red: It’s going to be dark soon. Granny will be out of her mind with worry if we’re not home. She’ll go out there. Mary, this is so bad.

Snow White: So do something.

Red: You’re right. I have to.

–[Real World]–

(Ruby enters Granny’s Diner and walks up to the counter to order.)

Ruby: I need a couple of grilled cheeses. I’m working over at the sheriff’s station now.

Granny: Ah.

Ruby: Sort of like a… Like a Deputy, you know? I guess sometimes, your fate finds you.

Granny: Seems kind of like you’re doing the same thing you always done.

Ruby: Plus so much more.

Granny: Those will be right up.

Ruby: Yeah.

Granny: Tony has to unwrap the cheese slices.

Ruby: I help solve crimes.

Granny: I’m sure you do. I hope you’re finding what you’re looking for.

Ruby: I am.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Red and Peter are sitting by a fire in the forest.)

Peter: You think this wolfman is me? Red, you know me.

Red: I know it’s not you, really, but I think it’s using your body.

Peter: Wouldn’t I know? I mean, wouldn’t I wake up in the woods? Wouldn’t I remember something?

Red: Maybe. Maybe, it makes you forget.

Peter: Oh, my gods. Those men – they d*ed. If I did that…

Red: Forget the past. Think of the future. We can go now, Peter. Have lives. All we need to do is tie you up during the Wolfstime, and I know where to get rope.

Peter: No. Not rope.

(He picks up a chain off of the ground.)

Red: Chains.

Peter: Just in case… Just in case you’re right. I’ll show you how to rig it up so that I can’t get out. And then you need to get away from me.

Red: No. I’m staying with you. I’ll stay with you all night, and for all the nights to come.

Peter: You’d do that for me?

Red: I’d do anything for you.

–[Real World]–

(Emma and Henry are at the station. Emma is getting ready to leave, while Henry is hiding his book.)

Emma: Okay, kid. Don’t mean to kick you out, but I got to go see if David’s in some kind of trouble out there.

Henry: It’s okay. I’m supposed to meet my mom.

(He locks his book in one of the desk drawers.)

Henry: There.

Emma: Nice.

Henry: You know, you can let Ruby do more. She’s Little Red Riding Hood.

Emma: With the little basket? Yeah, she seems like a badass.

Henry: She is. She just doesn’t remember how cool she is or what she’s capable of. But it’s true.

(Ruby returns with the food as Henry leaves.)

Henry: Hey, Ruby.

Ruby: Hey, Henry. Got your grilled cheese.

Emma: Thank you. You all right?

Ruby: I guess. I mean, this is something I know how to do. So, yay.

Emma: Okay, let’s pack these back up, and we can eat it in the car. I need to do a little wilderness search, and I need your help.

Ruby: I’m pretty sure I’m just going to screw it up. I mean, I’ll screw it up with flair, but…

Emma: No, you won’t. Come on – you can do this.

———–
(Emma and Ruby are searching through the woods.)

Ruby: This place is massive. How are we supposed to find one guy?

Emma: Hey, shh. We might be able to hear him.

Ruby: It’s massive.

Emma: I’m following the path because there are boot prints, so just stay close.

Ruby: I shouldn’t even be here. I’m just going to screw everything up. Oh, wait.

(Ruby stops walking and Emma bumps into her.)

Emma: Ruby?

Ruby: I hear him.

Emma: Really?

Ruby: Yeah, really. I hear him or…something. I… I know where he is. Don’t you?

(Ruby takes off through the woods.)

Emma: No. What are you doing?

Ruby: He’s over here!

(Emma follows her.)

Emma: Ruby! Ruby?

(Emma finds Ruby standing over a bleeding and unconscious David. She kneels next to him, and tries to shake him awake.)

Emma: David? Oh, god. Come on! David, come on! Wake up! David, wake up!

(David wakes up.)

David: Emma? What? Ruby?

Emma: Do you remember where you are?

David: No, I… What the hell? I was… I was in your office. Did you bring me here?

Emma: You don’t remember anything since you were in my office? Last night?

David: No, I don’t.

———–

(Emma and David are at the hospital, where David is being treated by Dr. Whale.)

Dr. Whale: Well, he’s bruised, scratched up, a little dehydrated. What’d you expect.

Emma: He’s got a cut on his head.

Dr. Whale: It’s superficial. I can refer him to Dr. Hopper for a mental health eval, but, it’s my opinion, that whatever caused this blackout, is the same phenomenon we observed when he came out of his coma. Moving around, acting out, not remembering it later.

Emma: We will figure it out.

David: It’s so strange. I can’t even believe it happened.

Emma: How functional could he be during one of these episodes? I mean, he talked to someone.

Dr. Whale: Well, people in similar states, even under sleep medication, do all sorts of things. Cooking, talking, driving a car.

David: You want to know if I could’ve made that call. Or more. You… You want to know if I could’ve… What, kidnapped her? k*lled her?

Dr. Whale: Now, take it easy there. No one’s saying you did anything bad, David.

David: No, but it would explain why it didn’t seem like I was lying. I wouldn’t know.

(Regina quickly storms into the room.)

Regina: Stop talking, David. What are you doing here? Why doesn’t this man have a lawyer present? Have you even read him his rights?

Emma: No, because he’s not under arrest. We’re just talking.

Regina: Right. Just talking.

Emma: What are you doing here?

Dr. Whale: Mayor Mills is still Mr. Nolan’s emergency contact.

Emma: You have to be kidding me.

David: I thought that changed to Kathryn?

Regina: Well, Kathryn’s currently unavailable. Some people haven’t found her yet. Stop trying to place blame and just find her.

Emma: There’s a whole lot of Maine to search, Regina.

Regina: Well, you covered this room. I suggest you branch out.

———–

(Ruby answers a phone call at the station.)

Ruby: Sheriff’s station, thank you for calling. How may I direct your-

(The caller turns out to be Emma, who is still at the hospital.)

Emma: Hey, stop. It’s me. Here’s the thing – the last time David went for a dream walk, he went to the Toll Bridge. You know the one? It’s a crazy hunch, but I want you to take my bug and go and see if he was there.

Ruby: No, I could get somebody else to.

Emma: Ruby, you were great out there. I still don’t know how you found him. You can do this.

Ruby: I don’t know.

Emma: It’s going to be dark out soon. David’s going to be let out. If there is something there, we’ve got to get there first. We don’t have time to argue. Can you do this?

———–

(Ruby drives Emma’s bug to the Toll Bridge. She gets out, while still on the phone with Emma.)

Ruby: I mean, what am I even looking for?

Emma: Anything out of the ordinary. Something that doesn’t belong there.

(Ruby heads toward the bank of the river flowing under the bridge.)

Ruby: And…if I find something?

Emma: Just follow your instincts.

(Ruby finds a board near the water. She flips in over, revealing a patch of sand underneath it. Ruby puts Emma on speaker and places the phone on a nearby rock. She grabs a stick and begins to dig, until she hits something hard. Ruby brushes the sand away with her hand. The object turns out to be a small jewelry box.)

Ruby: You…can’t give me a clue what I’m looking for?

Emma: Anything of Kathryn’s.

(She lifts up the jewelry box.)

Emma: Ruby? What’s going on? Did you find something?

(Ruby opens the box, but abruptly drops it. She screams.)

Emma: Ruby? Ruby?

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Snow White, who is wearing Red’s hood, pretends to be asleep in Red’s room. Granny enters and approaches the bed.)

Granny: Where’s Mary? Come on, girl – wake up. We best bar the door. If Mary’s not back by now, she’ll have to take her chances.

(Granny pulls back the hood and discovers it’s Snow White.)

Snow White: She’s in no danger.

Granny: What have you done?

Snow White: No, it’s okay. It’s alright. It’s fine.

Granny: Where is she?

Snow White: She’s… Well, she’s with Peter. And I know that you don’t like him, but that’s really beside the point.

Granny: You stupid, careless, ridiculous girl.

Snow White: No. You don’t understand. Peter isn’t… This is going to be difficult to accept. You just have to trust me. He’s the wolf.

Granny: You think Peter is the wolf?

Snow White: Yes. This terrible creature is also human. It’s okay, though. He won’t hurt her. She’s got him tied up.

Granny: He’s tied up? Oh, that poor boy.

———–

(Peter is chained to a tree in the woods. He struggles against the chains, while growling is heard in the background.)

Peter: Red, no. Red! It’s me. Don’t! Don’t!

(Red, who has transformed into a snarling wolf, approaches him.)

Peter: Please! Red! No! Red! No! Red! Red, No!

(The wolf lunges at Peter.)

–[Real World]–

(At the station, Emma and Ruby stare at the opened jewelry box sitting on the desk.)

Ruby: Is… Is that what I think it is?

Emma: Yeah.

Ruby: I can’t look.

(Ruby turns around and Emma shuts the lid of the box.)

Emma: You okay?

Ruby: I don’t know what I am.

Emma: It’s going to be all right. We can figure out what happened now. Ruby, you did good.

Ruby: This, is doing good?

Emma: Yeah. It’s amazing. First, you found David, and now, this. I know you say you don’t know what you are, but, whatever it is, I got to say, I’m impressed.

Ruby: Don’t be. I’m… I’m scared out of my mind.

Emma: But you did it anyway.

–[Fairy Tale World]–

(Granny and Snow White are walking through the forest to find Peter and Red.)

Snow White: You knew?

Granny: Of course I knew. Her mother was one, too, before a hunting party k*lled her. I thought maybe Red didn’t get it, but when she was thirteen, it started. I paid a wizard for that cloak – keeps her from turning. But, she doesn’t wear it, and she’s found some way out of the house.

Snow White: Why didn’t you tell her?

Granny: I didn’t want her to have that burden. It’s a terrible burden.

Snow White: That story you told…

Granny: That was her grandfather. He marked me that night. Then came back, found me, turned me.

Snow White: Turned you… You’re… Granny? How are you tracking her?

Granny: By smell. I still have that, even though the rest of it has faded away. Gods, I was a fool to think I could keep this from her. I am a fool and I have cost so many lives.

Snow White: But you didn’t mean to. That’s the main thing.

Granny: Is it?

(Granny hands the lantern to Snow White, and then takes out a crossbow.)

Granny: Here – a silver-tipped arrow will drop her.

MMB: Oh-

Granny: Shh! Follow me. We’re approaching from downwind, so we have a chance.

(The two of them slowly edge their way down the incline, until they reach Red and Peter. Red, still in wolf form, is devouring Peter. Granny accidentally steps on a stick. The noise causes the wolf to turn around. The wolf lunges at the two of them, but Granny sh**t it, dropping it to the ground in front of them.)

Granny: Cloak!

(Snow White hands Granny the cloak, which she then throws over the wolf. A wave of magic surges through the cloak. Snow White notices that Peter is dead.)

Granny: It’s too late. He’s gone.

(Red, now in human form, arises but is disorientated.)

Red: Who’s gone?

Granny: Get up, girl. Get ready to run.

Red: What’s going on?

Snow White: Come on, Red.

(The hunting party is heard shouting in the background.)

Granny: Don’t you hear them?

Snow White: We have to go.

Red: Go? I don’t understand.

Snow White: No, I’ll explain it later. We must hurry.

Red: What? I’m confused. What’s happened? Where’s Peter?

Snow White: He wasn’t the wolf.

Red: Granny?

Granny: I was wrong to keep it from you. But, now, you have to go. Red. Go.

(The shouting gets louder, and the torches of the hunting party shine through the trees.)

Red: It’s me? Oh, gods, it’s… It’s me.

Granny: Red, go.

Red: I don’t want to go like this.

Granny: You have to.

Red: No, no, no, no…

Snow White: It’s okay. It’s going to be okay.

Granny: Mary, there’s no time.

Snow White: I know. I’ll get her out of here.

(Supporting Red on her shoulder, Snow White leads the two of them to the woods. Granny stays behind as the hunting party arrives.)

–[Real World]–

(Ruby enters the diner. Granny is at the counter.)

Granny: You look good.

Ruby: Thanks.

Granny: Want something for the Sheriff?

Ruby: No.

Granny: Ah…

(Granny grabs her arm in pain.)

Ruby: Your arm okay?

Granny: Same as it is every full moon.

(The same scars from Fairy Tale World are visible on her arm.)

Granny: What are you doing here, Ruby? You here to tell me more about your fine new job?

Ruby: I want to come back.

Granny: Why? You were pretty mad.

Ruby: I wasn’t mad.

Granny: Looked like mad from here.

Ruby: Mmhmm, yeah. Here’s the thing – um… You were talking about having me do all this stuff, and I…wasn’t sure. I-I said that, you wanted me to turn into you, but… What I meant was, I don’t know how to be you. You’re a tough act to follow.

Granny: Oh.

Ruby: And then you wanted me to take on all this extra responsibility, and I… Guess I just got scared.

Granny: Don’t be. You shouldn’t be.

Ruby: Well, I am. But, it’s okay. I can do it anyway. I sort of found someone in myself that was more than I expected.

Granny: What about adventure? What about lemurs?

Ruby: Emma was my lemur. Did that, found out I could do that, and also that I don’t want to. I don’t want a job where a good day means ruining someone’s life. I want to do something that makes me happy. Somewhere I love.

Granny: Look – just so you know, I wanted you to do the books and everything, so you could take over when I retire. Own the whole place.

Ruby: Own it?

Granny: Sure. I mean, who else would I give it to but someone who loves me back?

(The two of them hug.)

Granny: Proud of you.

Ruby: What was that?

Granny: You heard me.

———–

(Mary Margaret and David are at the animal shelter.)

MMB: David, it’s going to be okay.

David: Really? How do you know that? Because, I honestly can’t say anything about my actions anymore.

MMB: Well, there has to be an explanation.

David: You’re right. But the problem is, I don’t think it’s a good one.

(Emma enters.)

David: What is it? Did you find her?

Emma: We found a box.

David: Wait… Wait… What does that mean?

Emma: We think it… We think that she…

David: What?

Emma: There was a human heart inside it.

MMB: Oh, my god.

(David breaks down in tears.)

David: No. No.

Emma: We’re going to send it out for some tests, but there aren’t any other missing people.

MMB: Maybe you should go.

Emma: There’s more.

Emma: There were fingerprints inside the lid of the box. I ran them through the records of everyone in town, and there was a match.

David: Arrest me.

MMB: No. David!

David: Arrest me, Emma. Do it!

Emma: David, the fingerprints weren’t yours.

Emma: They were Mary Margaret’s.

–[End]–