01x03 - In the Dark

Complete collection of the "Angel" TV show episode transcripts from season 1 - 5. Aired: October 1999 to May 2004*
Watch or Buy on Amazon Merchandise

The vampire Angel, cursed with a soul, moves to Los Angeles and aids people with supernatural-related problems while questing for his own redemption.

01x03 - In the Dark

Post by bunniefuu »

Open to dark deserted back street. A blond girl is running past looking behind her occasionally before ducking into an alley. She looks back around the corner, then steps back on the street to continue only to be grabbed by the shoulders and thrown back into a trash container.

Rachel: “Lenny… please… don’t.”

Lenny: “You think I’m not going to find you,... after you humiliated me... again ?”

Rachel: “I didn’t do anything ! I swear ! I’d never...”

Lenny: “No ! I know what you do. I see. The men,... the lies,... this is the last time, damn it !”

Rachel, stepping towards him with a smile: “What are you on, Baby ? You only get like this when you...”

Lenny hits her with a growl.

Rachel: “What are you going to do ? Pulverize me right here ? Someone is going to hear me scream.”

Lenny, laughing: “In downtown LA at night ? Nobody is going to hear. Nobody who cares. Besides (pulls out a revolver and points it at her face) this will all be over fast. (cocks the g*n)”

Rachel: “Lenny.. please... no !”

Lenny: “I’m sorry. (Rachel cowers back from him) I just can’t take this anymore.”

Angel grabs him from behind and makes him drop his g*n.

Angel: “Poor Lenny. The burden of terrorizing your girlfriend too much for you ? (hits him) Lucky for you I can make it stop.”

Lenny grabs a 2x4 and tried to hit Angel. Angel ducks and cold cocks him.

Angel: “Rachel, are you alright ?”

Rachel: “Is he...”

Angel: “It’s okay. He’s not getting up for a while.”

Rachel, getting up: “I can’t believe you actually showed up.”

Angel: “Well, that was the deal, right ?”

(Camera pulls back to reveal Spike watching them from a rooftop above them.)

Spike in high voice: “How can I thank you, you mysterious, black-clad hunk of a night thing ? (low voice) No need, little lady, your tears of gratitude are enough for me. You see, I was once a badass vampire, but love and a pesky curse defanged me. Now I’m just a big, fluffy puppy with bad teeth. (Rachel steps closer to Angel, and Angel steps back warding her off with his hands) No, not the hair! Never the hair! (high voice) But there must be someway I can show my appreciation. (low voice) No, helping those in need’s my job,... and working up a load of sexual tension, and prancing away like a magnificent poof is truly thanks enough ! (high voice) I understand. I have a nephew who is gay, so... (low voice) Say no more. Evil’s still afoot ! And I’m almost out of that Nancy-boy hair-gel that I like so much. Quickly, to the Angel-mobile, away !”

Spike lights a cigarette while he watches Angel lead Rachel away.

Spike: “Go on with you. Play the big, strapping hero while you can. You have a few surprises coming your way... The ring of Amarra... a visit from your old pal Spike,... and, oh yeah,... your gruesome, horrible death.” (He smiles.)

*Intro.*

***** Cut to Oz driving his van through the night. *****

He pulls up in front of Angel’s apartment.

Radio: “Another uninterrupted 40-minute-block. You are listening to LA’s only alternative KLA-Rock. It’s 11:05, do you know what your karma is ?”

***** Cut to Angel's office. *****

Cordelia is typing away on the computer. Doyle lounges in the background reading a newspaper.

Cordelia: “This is so awesome. Our first walk-in client. Everything is going according to plan ! See girl in distress,... see Angel save girl from druggy/stalker boyfriend,... and see (pulls a paper out of the printer and holds it up) Invoice ! Ta-da !”

She shows the invoice to Doyle who looks less then impressed.

Cordelia: “What ?”

Doyle: “Nothing. You’re doing a lovely job there. Looks very official.”

Cordelia: “So why are you not rejoicing at out first paying client ?”

Doyle, getting up and walking over to her desk: “Because that’s not money you’re holding in your hand there, darling, that’s mail. There’s a big difference between that and actually getting paid.”

Cordelia: “But she has to pay !... Invoice ! That’s the rule of our whole, like, society !”

Doyle, leaning on the desk: “Defaulting ? That’s another popular rule in our society... especially with the down-and-outs. Not that I’ve perpetrated said heinousness myself...”

Cordelia: “So what are you saying. Why bother ?”

Doyle: “All I’m saying is that if we’re ever going to take that cruise to the Bahamas together, we’re going to need a lot more clients of means.”

Cordelia: “And an alternate reality in which you are Matthew McConaughey.”

Oz, walking into the office: “Hello, LA.”

Cordelia, getting up: “Oz ? Oh, my god. (walks around the desk) Oz. It’s so good to see you. (hugs him while Doyle watches askance) Good old Oz ! Oz. (turns to Doyle and points at Oz) Oz !”

Doyle: “Let me just take a s*ab at it, you’d be Oz ?”

Oz: “Good guess.”

Cordelia: “This is so cool! I mean, here you are in LA, and you’re the total embodiment of all things Sunnydale.”

Oz: “It’s a burden, but I manage.”

Cordelia: “We have some serious catching up to do. How is everything ? How’s... how’s the bronze ?”

Oz: “The same.”

Cordelia: “And the g*ng ?”

Oz: “They’re good.”

Cordelia: “Good ?... Good !... Good.”

They look at each other for a moment.

Oz: “Are we done ?”

Cordelia: “Completely.” (Doyle coughs.)

Cordelia, going to sit down: “Oh, this is Doyle. He... works here.”

Oz, reaching over and shaking Doyle’s hand: “Hey.”

Oz, sticking his hands in his pockets: “So, I heard the rumors, but you guys can fill me in on the real deal here. So you guys are... like detectives ?”

Cordelia: “No, I’m an actress !”

Doyle: “And quite a captivating one at that.”

Cordelia: “And between my many gigs, I sometimes choose to help Angel.”

Doyle: “He’s the detective.”

Oz: “Does he have a hat and g*n ?”

Cordelia: “Just fangs.”

Oz: “Well, that works... Where is he ?”

***** Cut to Angel's apartment. *****

Angel walks through his downstairs apartment, looking through a book as the three come down in the elevator.

Angel, without looking up from his book: “Hey guys.”

Angel, looking up: “Oz.”

Oz: “Hey.”

Angel: “Nice surprise.”

Oz: “Thanks.”

Angel: “Staying long ?”

Oz: “Few days.”

Doyle: “Are they always like this ?”

Oz, to Doyle: “No, we’re usually laconic.”

Angel: “Come on in. (they walk further into the apartment) So,... good to see you.”

Oz: “I came primarily for a gig, but also to give you this.” (Holds out a ring to him.)

Doyle, going to take a closer look: “Wait a minute, is that what I think it is ?”

Angel, making no move to take it: “It’s the gem of Amarra.”

Oz: “One and the same. (tries to hand it to Angel, who after a moment accepts it) Buffy wanted you to have it.”

Cordelia: “Hey, Buffy. How is good old Buffy anyway ?”

Oz: “She is...”

Cordelia: “What ? Still the brave little Slayer or is she moping around in the dark like... (gets a look from Angel) like nobody around here. (holds up a hand and shakes her head) Hm-mm.”

Angel turns and walks away form them looking at the ring in his hands.

Oz: “She is good... She is Buffy.”

Doyle, holding up a hand: “And I’m sure we’ll be interested in that later, but right now can we concentrate on the mother-load Angel just hit ?”

Angel leans on the table turning the ring in his hand and looking at it.

Doyle: “What are you waiting for, man ? Put it on !”

Cordelia: “Okay, you’re getting weird about this ring. Since when did you go all versace about accessorizing ?”

Doyle: “Since the accessory is priceless and renders it’s wearer 100% unkillable if he’s a vampire.”

Cordelia: “Unkillable ? Whew. You mean not even stakes ?”

Doyle: “Not nothing. Not stakes, not fire, and the best thing is not even sunlight. (to Angel) I mean just think of it man. Poolside tanning, bargain matinees,... plus I know a couple of strip clubs that have a fabulous luncheon buffet, I mean, it’s... I’ve heard.”

Angel, still looking grave: “And it’s from Buffy.”

Oz: “Yeah. Your buddy Spike dug up Sunnydale looking for it. He got a fist full of Buffy and left it behind. She wanted to be sure it was in good hands.”

Angel, looking to the side: “So she sent you.”

Oz: “I was heading this way.”

Cordelia, to Oz: “And she didn’t even send a note ? Wow. That’s really... (Angel looks at her)... this is one of those times when I should just shy away from the topic, isn’t it ?”

Doyle, walking over to Angel: “Come on I have something that will boost your spirits. (picks up a stake) Why don’t you put it on and I’ll stake you. It’ll be fun !”

Angel, still playing with the ring in his hand and looking off to the side: “Maybe later.”

Doyle: “What, are you out of your mind ?”

Angel: “I said, maybe later.”

Doyle: “Yeah...”

Angel: “Doyle.”

Doyle, walking towards the elevator: “Okay, you have it your way, man. But I’m still going to celebrate with a drink down at the pub.”

Cordelia, to Oz: “He’d celebrate the opening of a mailbox with a drink at the pub. (waves at Angel as she follows Doyle) You coming, Oz ?”

Oz, still watching Angel: “Yeah. I could eat something.”

Angel: “Go ahead.”

After a b*at Oz turns and follows the others. Angel keeps looking at the ring. Finally sticks it in his pocket and goes down in the sewers. He takes it out of his pocket and hides it under a loose brick next to a pipe.

***** Cut to the office, the next day. *****

Cordelia is getting a cup of water for Doyle from the water cooler and sits down at the desk across from him.

Doyle, moaning: “Oh, god. You know what would feel really good right now ? One of those mind-numbing, head-cracking visions that I get from time to time, (he struggles to get some pills out of a bottle) because that would really k*ll me now. Is there some kind of trick to this ?”

Cordelia, taking the bottle from him: “I think the trick is laying of the ale (pulls out the cotton wad out of the bottle and shakes some pills into her hand) before you start quoting Angela’s Ashes and weeping like a baby man.”

Doyle, accepting the pills and washing them down: “Hey, that’s a good book.”

Cordelia: “So I’ve heard. But I doubt that the main characters are Betty and Barney Rubble as you so vehemently insisted last night. Also I don’t think Oz appreciated being called my little Bam-bam all night.”

Angel is doing some Tai-chi. The phone rings and he goes to pick it up after the second ring.

Angel: “Hello ?... Hello.”

Rachel: “Angel ?”

Angel: “Rachel. Are you alright ?”

Rachel: “They let Lenny out... The lawyer said something about a technicality.”

Angel: “I’ll be right there.”

***** Cut to the underground garage.*****

Angel walks up to his car. As he reaches for the door handle a beam smashes into his head sending him tumbling back against the wall.

Spike in vamp face: “Angel. I believe you have something I’m looking for... a shiny, little bauble ?”

Angel, picking himself up: “Might as well go home, Spike. The gem of Amarra stays with me.”

Spike swings at Angel with the board. Angel catches it, hits Spike across the chin, in the stomach, then kicks him to the floor.

Spike slowly getting back up, board in hand: “Why ? Because you are vampire detective now ? What’s next ? Vampire cowboy ? Vampire fireman ? Oh, vampire ballerina.”

He charges Angel with the beam.

Angel: “I do like to work with my legs.”

He grabs an overhead pipe and swings both feet into Spike’s chest. Spike quickly picks himself back up and keeps stabbing at Angel with the beam, while Angel dances around him like a boxer, dodging the board. Spike tries to pin him onto the hood of the car but Angel kicks him off, taking the beam a way form him in the process.

Angel, twirling the beam in his hands: “We duke it out, huh ? Is this your big strategy to get the ring back ?”

Spike, attacking again: “Hey, I had a plan !”

Angel, fending him off with the beam, then pinning him onto the car: “You ? A plan ?”

Spike: “A good plan. Smart. Carefully laid out... But I got bored. (hits Angel and pins him up against the wall) All that watching, waiting,... my legs started to cramp. (throws Angel up against the door leading out) Enough with the hit’n’quip. Just tell me were the damn ring is.”

Angel, turning around in vamp face: “It wouldn’t go with your outfit.”

He hits Spike around for a while and finally throws him against the wall just as Cordelia and Doyle run in behind Angel.

Spike, slowly getting back to his feet: “Cordelia. You look smashing. Did you lose weight ?”

Cordelia: “Yes, there is this great gym at... hey !”

Spike, to Angel: “I’ll get that ring. This isn’t over until one of us is a pile of dust, mate.” (Runs off.)

Cordelia, to Angel: “Are you okay ?”

Angel walks off a ways from then (still in vamp face) then turns around.

Doyle: “More importantly, how’s the ring ?”

Angel: “It’s fine. (morphs into his human face) I can’t say the same for you two though. You better get out of sight until this thing is over. Spike is out for blood. (to Doyle) Take her to your place.”

Cordelia: “His place ? Why can’t I just go home ?”

Angel: “Because he knows you, Cordelia. If he wants to he’ll track you down.”

Cordelia: “Yeah, but he’s not invited, right ? He can’t come in.”

Doyle: “No, but he can burn the place to the ground.”

Cordelia: “Okay then. Doyle’s place it is.”

Doyle to Angel: “What about you, man. You know he’ll be coming back for you before long.”

Angel: “I know.”

Cordelia: “So what are you going to do ?”

Angel: “Find him first.”

Cordelia and Doyle: “Alright, let’s go.”

They leave as Angel wipes at the blood at the corner of his mouth.

***** Cut to Doyle’s apartment. *****

He is talking on the phone, while Cordelia is pacing the floor.

Doyle: “Not Spice, that’s the bird down on Broadway. Spike, like in railroads... Uhuh,... yeah, vampire, right... No ?... Okay, then. Thanks.” (Hangs up.)

Doyle, marking his open address book: “Frankie Tripod ? A big no.”

Cordelia: “Frankie Tripod ? Oh, I get it. Some kind of three-legged monster, right ?”

Doyle: “No, he’s human.”

Cordelia: Then why is his name... Oh...”

Doyle, getting up: “Hey listen, why don’t you sit down. Get comfortable. Angel said I should go through every name in my book until I get a bead on where Spike is hiding out. Could be a while.”

Cordelia: “Please. I couldn’t get comfortable in here if the floor was lined with mink. I mean, how can you live like this ?”

Doyle: “Well, I didn’t until last week. Then I saw what you did with your place and I just had to call my decorator.”

Cordelia: “No way. My apartment is nowhere near this yucky. (sits down on a chair. Paper rustles. She gets up brushes it of the chair and sits back down while Doyle picks some laundry of another chair) It smells like bong water in here.”

Doyle: “Okay a couple of laundry might be a couple of days over due, but...”

Telephone rings and Doyle goes to get it.

Doyle: “Yeah ?... Hey, Kizzy. Yeah, vamp named Spike. No ? Okay. What, a “C” note ? I absolutely paid that back, man ! Hey, no, sorry, there goes my other line.”

He slams the phone down.

Doyle: “He was mistaken, but I didn’t have time to get into it, right ?... I’m on a mission here !... So what about this Spike ? Is he as bad as all that ? I mean should I be sweating ?”

Cordelia: “He’s really not... (sighs)... sweat.”

Doyle: “That’s what I figured.”

***** Cut to Rachel’s apartment. *****

Rachel: “You keep showing up like this and I’m going to think you’re a man of your word.”

Angel: “Stranger things...”

Rachel: “Not many.” Goes into the kitchen.

Angel, following her, carefully skirting a patch of sun: “So we’ll get you out of here. There are places you can go, where you’ll be safe.”

Rachel: “Like a shelter ?”

Angel: “It’s a start. He won’t be able to find you, I swear.”

Rachel: “No, it’s not the shelter it’s just... ah... Half the time, you how this whole thing starts up again, Lenny and me ?”

Angel: “You call him.”

Rachel: “I... I... I just start to jones for him. The way he jones for rock. And I call, or I find him in some dive, and I drag him home, - and it’s *good* for a while.”

Angel, shaking his head: “But it doesn’t last. This last time he would have k*lled you.”

Angel watches with a sigh as she tries not to cry.

Rachel: “I’m scared, Angel, I’m more scared of me right now than I am of him.”

Angel: “You’re at a crossroads, I know. It’s either go for the easy fix and wait for the consequences, or take the hard road and go with faith.”

Rachel: “Oh, god. You’re not from that freaky church on Sunset, are you ?”

She steps away from him.

Angel: “In yourself. That kind of faith... What I’m saying is: if you leave Lenny for good, it’ll hurt. But eventually you’ll be stronger for it. And maybe you’ll find your way to the kind of love you deserve.”

Rachel: “You mean the kind of love that comes without 911 calls ?”

Angel: “That’s the general idea.”

Cordelia, eating popcorn: “Oh, yeah, Spike’s nearly done Buffy in a few times. I mentioned that he’s k*lled two Slayers already ?”

Doyle: “You did.”

Cordelia: “Oh, and this one time he and Dru raised this demon that b*rned people from the inside. It was this whole weird thing with an arm in a box.”

Doyle spellbound: “An arm in a box ?”

Cordelia nods. The phone rings and Doyle picks it up.

Doyle in a nasal voice: “House of Pies.”

Angel in his apartment checking the mechanism of his wrist sheathes: “Doyle ? Is that you ?”

Doyle: “Oh, sorry man. Just laying low. All those calls to past acquaintances stirred up a few, uh, old resentments.”

Angel: “I hope it was worth it.”

Doyle: “Yeah, well, listen Manny the Pig said he didn’t know anything about a vampire called Spike.”

Angel: “So ?”

Doyle: “So he said that before I mentioned anything about Spike. You’ll find him at a joint down on third called the Orbit Room.”

Angel: “Okay. I’ll start with Manny the Pig then.”

Doyle: “Work your way down.”

Cut to Angel slamming a guy down on a table.

Guy: “He left for the club.”

Cut to Angel smashing a different guy up against the wall with his hand around his throat.

Guy: “Try the game.”
Cut to Angel slamming the Pig down on a poker table.

Angel is grabbing him by the throat and getting right in his face. Three other guys there draw their g*ns and point them at an unfazed Angel.

Pig to the guys: “Put them down. (they lower the g*ns. To Angel) He’ll k*ll me if I talk.”

Angel: “How healthy do you think it’ll be to stay quiet ?”

Pig: “He’s out back.”

Cut to Angel coming out the back door.

He sees Spike snacking on a girl.

Angel: “Let her go !”

Spike, looking up at him in vamp face: “Did anyone ever tell you you were a real buzz-k*ll, mate ?”

Spike throws the girl into Angel and st*lks off in disgust.

Angel to girl: “Run.”

Cut to Angel running after Spike.

Spike comes up against a chain fence at the end of the alley.

Spike, turning around says sounding bored: “Caught me fair and square, White Hat. (slowly lift his hands up over his head) I guess there is nothing to do now but to go quietly and pay my debt to society.”

Angel, closing with him slowly: “You think you can come to *my* town and pull *this* crap ? You never learn, Spike.”

Spike with a smile: “I maybe a slow learner...”

Chains rattle behind and as Angel turns around a guy in white whips a chain around Angel’s neck and drags him to the ground.

Spike, watching the guy hog tie Angel: “But eventually I learn.”

Cordy is sitting by the phone, Doyle is pacing.

Cordelia: “Angel should have called by now. (sighs) this is bad!”

Doyle: “Maybe not. Maybe he did away with Spike in short order, and decided to give a go at surfing ?”

Cordelia: “Right !... What am I worried about ? Angel has the ring, right ?”

Doyle: “Right ! I bet he is out hanging 10 right about now, out on the sandy shore at. Wind in his hair...”

Cut to Angel hanging in a couple of chains by his wrists in a warehouse.

Doyle voice over as camera pans down Angel’s body: “Bikini babes a whistlin’”

The white-clad guy form the alley puts on a classical LP the opens a trunk and takes out t*rture tools.

Spike: “Marcus is an expert. Some say artist, but I’ve never been comfortable with labels... He’s a bloody king of t*rture, he is. Humans, demons,... politicians, makes no difference. (starts to circle Angel) Some say he invented several of the Classics,... but he won’t tell me which ones... beneath the cool exterior, you’ll find he is rather shy... Except with kids. (to Marcus) You like kids, don’t you Marcus ?... Well, likes to eat. (leans in close to Angel) and other nasty things.”

Angel thrashes in his chains and Spike pulls back with a satisfied smile. Marcus puts on wire-rim glasses as he walks over to Angel. He rips his shirt open and stares at his chest.

Marcus: “His skin...”

Spike: “Annoying isn’t it ? Still attached.”

Marcus: “Over 200 years of living and so little external damage... What about internal ?”

Spike: “Do you two need to be alone, or can we go on to the ouchy part ?”

Marcus, laying his hand on Angel’s heart: “He’s known love.”

Spike: “Yeah, and with a Slayer no less. How is that for perversion ?”

Marcus: “And he has a soul.”

Spike bored: “Right, vampire with a soul. Cursy-cursed to walk the earth trying to do good. That’s not going to be a problem, is it ?”

Marcus: “On the contrary. Creatures with souls have something to lose.”

Spike: “Souls, fingers, toes… Let’s get chopping, will you ? I want my damn ring !”

Marcus, to Angel: “What do you want, Angel ?”

Angel: “Are you going to t*rture me, or just bore me to death ?”

Marcus goes to pick up a poker that has been heating in a fire-barrel and stabs it clear through Angel’s lower right chest. Angel suppresses a scream.

Marcus: “Probably a little of both.”

Spike with a smile: “Someone’s having shish kabob.”

Cut to later.

Angel has several metal pokers sticking through different parts of his body.

Marcus, playing with some pliers: “What do you want Angel ?”

Angel, gasping: “A house in the country, a pair of good running shoes that you can also wear out to dinner.”

Spike, pacing impatiently: “Why do you keep asking him that ? And why do you keep playing that bleeding Brahms ?”

Marcus: “Actually it’s Mozart. Symphony 41. I find it very effective.”

Spike: “Yeah ? Personally I prefer his older funnier symphonies myself... LOOK I WANT MY RING BACK ! (kicks a box, the breaks a wooden handle and aims the resulting stake at Angel’s chest) If I don’t get it pretty soon, I’m going to stake me old Sire right here and now !”

Marcus: “Are you finished ? He knows you won’t k*ll him until you get the ring. He knows you’re lying.”

Spike, dropping the stake, to Marcus: “*You* get it for me.”

Marcus: “Soon he’ll want to tell me everything he knows... and then some... And he knows I’m not lying.”

Spike, looking at Angel: “I believe he does.”

Angel: “You’re an idiot, Spike.”

Spike: “You think ? Because I’m not the one chained to the ceiling with hot pokers in my side.”

Angel: “You hired a vampire. What do you think he is going to do with the rings when he finds it, huh ? Hand it over to you ?”

Spike: “Oh, good Lord, why didn’t I think of... ? Oh, wait half a mo’, I did. I hired a guy who doesn’t care about the ring, or anything else on God’s green earth except taking blokes apart one piece at a time... It’s called addiction, Angel. We all have it... I believe yours is named Slutty the vampire Slayer. (music ends and Spike breathes a sigh of relief) Thank you !... Speaking of little Buff, I ran into her recently. Your name didn’t come up. Although she has been awful busy jumping the bones of the first lunk-head that came along. Good-looking fellow... used her shamelessly... She is cute when she is hurting, isn’t she ?”

Angel: “I think she’s cuter when she’s kicking your ass.”

Marcus starts the LP over and Spike sighs.

Spike: “I think I will go get a bit of fresh air... leave you two kids to it. (Marcus sticks another hot poker through Angel’s thigh, who lets out a short scream) Now that is music !”

***** Cut to Angel’s apartment. *****

Spike comes up through the sewers and starts to tear the place up.

Spike: “If I was a ring, where would I be ?... Well, this is fun... But it’s going to get old real fast.”

***** Cut to the warehouse. *****

Marcus is circling Angel holding a p*stol in his hands.

Marcus: “Most things that live and breath hate the dark and love the light.”

Marcus sh**t a hole in the ceiling and Angel flinches back from the beam of sunlight that streams in through the hole.

Marcus: “We are different though, aren’t we ? We hate the light of day, and it hates us back in kind. (sh**t again)... You hid the ring Angel, or you could be walking in the light right now. So I have to wonder: what do you want if not the ring ? It’s through the pain that we find the truth of who we are. It strips us of our defenses. We are made innocent again like children. I like children, Angel... I’m here to help you find that innocence, Angel,... here... with the light. (sh**t again forcing Angel to strain away or burn)”

***** Cut to Angel's office. *****

Spike comes up into the office. Cordelia is waiting with a crossbow ready in her hands.

Cordelia: “When you are done giving the place the Johnny Depp once-over... I hope you have the cash to pay for all of this.”

Spike, slowly stepping closer: “Cordelia. Love the hair.”

Cordelia: “Wish I could say the same.”

Doyle, aiming a g*n at Spike: “That’s close enough.”

Spike: “What is it with you good guys running in packs ? Who is this one then ?”

Doyle: “More than meets the eye.”

Spike: “Ooh, the Mick’s got spine ! Maybe I’ll snap it in two.”

Cordelia: “Do you want me to use this ?”

Spike: “You’ll be dead before that arrow leaves the bow. (Cordy lowers the bow slightly) Now where was I ? Bloody tired of looking for that ring. I think you two should take over now.”

Doyle: “Where is Angel ?”

Spike: “Angel, um... tall brooding guy, caveman brow ?... He’s having the living hell tortures out of him. And you know how stubborn he can be, he might die before he gives up the ring. Why don’t you two find it real fast and give it to me. I’ll let Angel go.”

Cordelia: “I don’t trust you.”

Spike: “To coin a popular Sunnydale phrase: ‘duh!’ But you have until sundown to save him. You’ll find me behind Peterson’s Fishery between Seward and Westminster. (walks off) Don’t be late.”

Marcus: “You did terrible things when you were bad, didn’t you ? And now you are trying so *hard* to do good. But Angel, there is nothing either bad or good, but thinking makes it so. (Angel is fishing with his feet for the stake Spike dropped earlier while Marcus back is turned)... Now I can make the pain go away, (pulls out a poker, Angel screams) and as you know, (pulls out another poker) I can bring it back again. (as he walks back to the table Angel manages to get the stake between his shoes) What do you want, Angel ? I think I know, but I’d like to hear it from you. The truth. I’ll know if you’re lying.”

Angel: “I want... forgiveness.”

Marcus: “Yes. That’s the truth,... and you want to earn it. You’re not the type that takes the easy way out. Which is why I like you so much. In the end you won’t feel guilt... or remorse... or anything but pure darkness. In the end... the ring, the past... none of it will mean anything anymore. You’ll be free. I promise.”

Angel: “And I promise (swings his legs up and drives the stake between his feet towards Marcus chest) to k*ll you.”

Spike, catching Angel’s legs: “Now, now, staking the torturer is strictly prohibited."

Marcus hits Angel.

Spike, pulling Marcus back: “Easy, fella, still need that ring. (to angel) Now you’ve made him mad. Wouldn’t want to be in your chains.”

Marcus: “Won’t be long now.”

Spike: “Well, what’s say I’ll grab a pair of needle-nose pliers and give a hand ?

Cordy and Doyle are rifling Angel’s apartment.

Cordelia: “Drat !”

Doyle: “What ?”

Cordelia: “It’s not in the freezer and it’s not in the toilet t*nk. In the movies it’s always in one of those places.”

Doyle: “It’s not here.”

Cordelia: “We’ve looked everywhere !”

Doyle: “Except...”

Cordelia: “The rat infested sewer tunnels he uses to get around in the day time.”

Cut to the sewers.

Cordy and Doyle are searching, each holding a flashlight.

Cordelia: “This is not a needle in a haystack, this is a needle in Kansas.”

Doyle: “Yeah, I know, you’re right. We just got to keep looking.”

Doyle lets Cordy get a ways ahead of him just watching her back, Suddenly blue spikes pop out all over his face. He sniffs the air, then the spikes disappear and he walks over to where Angel his the ring and picks it up.

Doyle: “Here !”

Cordelia, coming running back: “How did you do that ?”

Doyle: “You got to get lucky sometimes.”

Cordelia: “I could hug you ! (when Doyle spreads out his arms) You’re not that lucky. Now, come on we’ve got save Angel !”

Doyle: “Right, by giving Spike exactly what he wants so he can k*ll us.”

Cordelia: “Right !... No, we need a plan.”

*****Cut to the Fishery. *****

Spike is waiting in the shadows behind the Fishery. Cordy and Doyle walk up.

Spike: “So... where is my ring ?”

Doyle: “Not on us.”

Cordelia: “But we know where it is.”

Spike: “And suddenly I’m so painfully bored. Time runs short, children. Give me that ring as if Angel’s life depended on it.”

Cordelia: “Listen you little Cockney, take us to Angel now.”

Doyle: “So if he’s still in one piece we tell you where you can find the ring.”

Spike: “He is still alive I think. In one piece was never part of the deal.”

Angel is slumped in his chains. Spike, Cordy and Doyle walk in.

Spike: “Lucy, I’m home.”

Cordelia, running towards Angel: “Angel !”

Spike, holding her and Doyle back: “hey, hey ! A deal’s a deal.”

Angel: “Cordelia.”

Spike: “And our deal was for the ring. You’ve wasted quiet enough of my time, so I’d really like it... NOW !”

Doyle: “You want the ring, you dog ? (pulls it out of his pocket and throws it past Angel) Go fetch !”

Cordelia: “Okay. You’ve got the ring, we’ve got Angel. And now you’re going to leave us alone, and we’re going to leave.”

Spike: “Come on. You don’t really thin that we’re going to do that, do you ?”

(As Spike reaches for the ring you can hear tires squealing.)

Cordelia: “Not really.”

Doyle: “No.”

Oz van bursts through the side of the warehouse, rams through some barrels and comes to a screeching halt behind Angel as Spike rolls out of its way. Oz pulls out two crossbows and aims them out of the driver’s side window while Cordy and Doyle free Angel and help him into the back of the van.

Oz: “Spike.”

As the van backs out of the warehouse, Spike looks around for the ring in vain.

Spike: “Where is the ring ?... Bloody hell.”

Cut to Marcus slowly walking out into the sun. He does not burn.

Cut to Spike having a tantrum in the warehouse.

Spike: “Son of a bitch !... I do the work,... I do the digging,... fight off a Slayer,... drive to LA, fire the help,... and what do I get ?... ROYALLY SCREWWED, is what !... Well that cinches it. No more partners. From now on I’m my own man. A lone wolf. Sole survivor. Look out, here comes Spike! The baddest mother... (a beam of sunlight from one of the b*llet holes hits the back of his head and his hair ignites) Ahh ! (he ducks and puts his hair out with his hands) I really hope they k*ll each other.”

***** Cut to the beach. *****

Marcus is walking onto a pier in full sunlight.

***** Cut to Oz' van. *****

Oz: “How is he doing ?”

Doyle: “He’ll live.”

Cordelia: “Not without help. We need to get him to a hospital.”

Oz: “I hear you. But which one ? They all tend to specialize in humans.”

Doyle: “He’s right, too risky. Do you know any first aid ?”

Oz: “Basic sixth grade, but I can improvise. If we can get him some place dark, maybe I can...”

Angel: “Turn around!”

Oz: “Angel.”

Cordelia: “He’s delirious. Ignore him.”

Angel: “Turn around!”

Cordelia: “So you can do what ? It’s daylight and you’re ringless. Unless you’re changing the act to human torch, I don’t think so.”

Doyle: “She’s right. You’re death on toast, man. You’re in no shape to be fighting a t*rture demon.”

Angel pulls out the last poker still stuck in his side.

Angel: “God !... Okay, he’s got a thing for children. Oz... turn around. He couldn’t have gone far.”

Oz spins the van around.

***** Cut to the pier. *****

Marcus is looking at a group of scouts.

Marcus: “Hello boys and girls.”

Oz drives onto the pier and rams into him sending him flying. Cordelia gets out.

Cordelia to scouts: “Run, now. Move your little scout legs. Now ! Go ! Come on !”

Oz sh**t Marcus in the chest with a crossbow bolt. Marcus just pulls it back out and throws it away.

Doyle: “Damn it. I’ll get him.”

He and Marcus start to fight. Marcus knocks Doyle down.

Cordelia: “Doyle !”

Oz to Angel in the back of the van: “You’re sure about this ?”

Angel: “Yeah.”

Oz opens the side door and Angel launches himself out with a scream. He catches fire as he runs to tackle Marcus. They crash through the railing and into the water below.

Cordelia, looking over the railing: “Where is he ?”

Cut to the dark area under the pier.

Angel and Marcus stand up in the shallow water. They fight. Luckily for Angel Marcus isn’t the best fighter. They are pretty evenly matched.

Marcus: “What were you planing to do ? k*ll me ?”

Angel: “Well, after all, I promised.”

They fight some more.

Angel: “You never cracked me, Marcus... You tried, and you failed. Now that (Angel manages to impale Marcus on a board that’s sticking out) that’s got to be t*rture.”

Angel pulls the ring off Marcus’ finger and he dusts with a scream. Angel slowly puts the ring on his hand and hesitantly steps out from under the pier blinking at the sun, looks around in wonder.

Cordelia: “Are you all right ?”

Angel: “Fine... (to Oz) Thanks for the help, man. You were key.”

Oz: “You’re... incredibly pale.”

Cordelia: “Look, you should lie down. We should take you home.”

Doyle: “Just give him a minute.”

Angel wanders out on the beach looking amazed.

Oz: “He’s very pale. Paler than most people.”

***** Cut to the top of a skyscraper. *****

Angel is watching the sun set.

Doyle: “So how long has it been between sunsets ?”

Angel: “200 years, give or take.”

Doyle: “Well you got to be feeling pretty damn good then, huh? I mean this ring – changes everything, don’t it ?... Yeah, it’s spectacular, I know. But I do promise that there will be another one exactly like it tomorrow.”

Angel: “Not for me.”

Doyle: “What are you saying ? That the city will be hit by a meteor before tomorrow night or…”

Angel: “No.”

Doyle: “No. It’s to horrible to say the other. I can’t even bring myself to say the other.”

Angel: “I’m not going to wear the ring.”

Doyle: “That was the other... You got a real addiction to the brooding part of life. Anyone ever tell you that?”

Angel: “Once or twice.”

Doyle: “Care to explain ?... I mean this ring is your redemption. It’s what you’ve been waiting for.”

Angel: “nah, it just looks like it.’

Doyle: “Angel, man, think what you’re saying.”

Angel: “I have. I’ve thought of it from every angle, and what I figure is I did a lot of damage in my day, more than you can imagine."

Doyle: “So what, you don’t get the ring because your period of self-flagellation isn’t over yet ? I mean think of all the daytime people you could help between 9 and 5.”

Angel: “They have help. The whole world is designed for them, so much that they have no idea what goes on around them after dark. They don’t see the weak ones lost in the night,... or the things that prey on them. And if I join them, maybe I’d stop seeing, too.”

Doyle: “And who’d look out for all the insomniacs?”

Angel: “I was brought back for a reason, Doyle, and as much as I would like to kid myself, I don’t think it was for 18 holes at Rancho.”

The sun sinks below the horizon. Angel takes off the ring, picks up a brick and smashes it.

(Big green flash of light.)

Doyle: “Oh, and that Rachel girl with the crazy boyfriend called. Said to say thanks, and that she found a little faith. Said you’d know what that means.”

Angel: “I don’t know about you, but I had a nice day... You know, except for the bulk of it, where I was nearly tortured to death.”

Doyle: “Yeah, well, you stood up.”

Angel: “Oh, god. I was this close to telling him everything. I mean, one more hot poker and I was giving him the ring, your mom,... everything... How is your mom ?”