04x09 - Long Day's Journey

Complete collection of the "Angel" TV show episode transcripts from season 1 - 5. Aired: October 1999 to May 2004*
Watch or Buy on Amazon Merchandise

The vampire Angel, cursed with a soul, moves to Los Angeles and aids people with supernatural-related problems while questing for his own redemption.

04x09 - Long Day's Journey

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on Angel:

1 INT. UPSCALE BAR - NIGHT

Gwen Raiden, a young woman, walks in wearing red leather pants, black boots, a tight, skimpy, sleeveless, low-cut red leather top that shows her midriff, long, black satin gloves, and bright red lipstick. She has long brown wavy hair, streaked with red and white, and she's got an attitude.

Cut to:

2 INT. VAULT IN CHANDLER'S AUCTION HOUSE - NIGHT

Angel is standing on the outside of the vault, separated from Gwen by the gate.

ANGEL

What are you?

GWEN

I'm a freak.

Cut to:

3 INT. BUILDING LOBBY - NIGHT

She kicks Angel, and they begin to fight. He pushes her back against the wall. She kicks him, knocks him down, and takes off her gloves. They continue to trade punches and kicks until finally they're in the elevator, and she's sitting on top of him. She rips open his shirt, and presses both her bare hands to his chest, shocking him with electricity.

GWEN

Warm enough?

When Angel felt his heart b*at, he sits up with a start and kisses Gwen passionately.

Cut to:

4 EXT. ALLEY SOMEWHERE IN LOS ANGELES - NIGHT

Connor and Cordelia are walking beside each other.

CORDELIA

Connor, this is where you were born.

Something bursts up from the ground in front of them, surrounded in red light. It's got two enormous horns on top of its head, and it's a hulking beast—the one Cordelia saw in her visions.

Cut to:

5 INT. HOTEL / ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Zoom out to show that, when arranged properly, the papers form a symbol that looks like a square with diagonal lines connecting opposite corners (forming an "X" pattern within the square). Wes, Angel and Gunn stand and stare at it.

GUNN

So what the hell is it?

WESLEY

Ancient alchemical symbol for fire.

ANGEL

And destruction.

Cut to:

6 EXT. SKY TEMPLE CLUB ON KIMBALL BUILDING ROOF - NIGHT

The beast kneels on one knee, punching the floor at the center of his human square, sending a trail of fire out along the floor in the shape of the Eye of Fire symbol. A shock wave emanates from the area, knocking everyone back a few feet. The fire is tall now, taller than the beast. The Beast leaps straight up into the sky, riding the fire that he created.

Cut to:

7 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - NIGHT

Connor and Cordelia are standing next to each other, looking out the window at a shaft of fire that's sh**ting straight up into a red circular cloud in the sky right over downtown. The column of fire is sucked up into the cloud where it disappears and the clouds close. Still glowing, the clouds now rain tiny fireballs all over the city. They stare in disbelief.

CORDELIA

Connor, this isn't your fault.

CONNOR

What if it is?

CORDELIA

You never had a childhood, or anything that's real, and if this is the end, I want you to have something that is.

Cut to:

8 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - NIGHT

Connor and Cordelia are in bed together, making love. Lying on top of Cordelia, Connor kisses her tenderly amid gentle undulations under the sheets.

Cut to:

9 EXT. CONNOR'S PLACE - NIGHT

Zoom outside through the window. Fire rain is falling down all around, and Angel's there, on the roof of a nearby building, looking into the attic, where he can see Connor and Cordelia in bed together making love.

Cut to:

10 INT. WESLEY'S APARTMENT - DAY

Lilah and Wesley are talking in his apartment.

WESLEY

It's over, Lilah.

LILAH

(blinks, steps back) You're serious.

WESLEY

(turns, walks away) I believe a day of reckoning has arrived.

Cut to:

11 INT. WHITE ROOM - NIGHT

The g*ng finds themselves in a huge empty white space. They look around, trying to orient themselves, and Fred spots the Beast kneeling over a girl who's lying on the floor on her back. The little girl is wearing a knee-length red dress with a white lace collar, white stockings, and black patent leather shoes.

ANGEL

The girl—whatever she is—it came for her.

LITTLE GIRL

(turns and points at Angel's g*ng) The answer is among you.

Cut to:

12 INT. HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

When the g*ng reappears, they find themselves in the middle of the hotel lobby. Angel turns around to see Cordelia's talking to Connor, hugging him. Angel turns and goes into his office.

Cut to:

13 INT. ANGEL'S OFFICE AT HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel's standing behind his paper-covered desk, sorting through documents. Cordelia comes into his office and walks up to his desk.

CORDELIA

I'm just glad that everyone's safe and together again.

ANGEL

(looks her in the eyes) Me too. (she smiles sweetly, but he does not, he leans forward) Now, take your new boyfriend, and get the hell out of here.

Fade to black.

The Start Of EpisodePrologue:

14 INT. ANGEL'S ROOM AT THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel's sitting in his chair, sketching the Beast. Someone knocks on his door, but Angel doesn't answer. Lorne opens the door and walks in, carrying a tray with a mug on it.

LORNE

Room service. Hey. I brought you some nice O-positive here, freshly nuked for that right out of the jugular taste.

ANGEL

(without looking up) Just put it on the table.

LORNE

(puts tray down, looks at Angel's drawing) Mmm. Good likeness. You wouldn't mind if I ran screaming from the room, would ya? (nervous laugh)

ANGEL

(without looking up) Shut the door on your way out.

LORNE

Oh, all right. You want to play it this way, we'll play it this way.

ANGEL

(looks at Lorne) Play what?

LORNE

Angel, sweetie. Why so down? (with a deep voice) Don't interrupt me, I'm brooding.

ANGEL

(puts down his sketch) I'm not brooding, (leans forward) I'm researching.

LORNE

The apocalyptic Beast who's turned our city into his personal abattoir? Yeah, so's everybody else. Wesley included. Downstairs. Together.

ANGEL

I work better alone.

LORNE

Oh-ho-ho. That's it. I see. It's all about you. Silly old Lorne, thinking it was about saving the world from ending. (crosses his arms) Welcome to the big leagues, Angel. You're a champion. You don't get personal days.

ANGEL

There's nothing on this Beast, Lorne. (leans back) I fought it once, it nearly decapitated me with my own stake. It's k*lled hundreds of people that I couldn't save. And it keeps showing up around my kid, my kid who's—

LORNE

Not entirely unmaking with the moves on the girl who might have been?

ANGEL

(stands up, gets in Lorne's face) You want to shove that into English for me?

LORNE

I know about Connor and Cordelia. It's a—it's a vibe, it's a thing. I know. What can I say?

ANGEL

(inhales sharply) You can say goodbye. Take a hike. (walks away to a table covered with papers)

LORNE

Connor's still gonna be your son, you know, when it's all said and done. (turns to the door) And you may not find perfect happiness with Cordelia, but Angel food, you gotta remember, there's other fish in the sea. (walks out)

Angel sits down and stares reflectively.

Cut to:

15 EXT. OIL FIELD - NIGHT

A girl walks by the field of oil pumps, looking around. It's Gwen Raiden (first seen in Angel 4x02 "Ground State").

STRANGER (O.S.)

Miss Raiden.

GWEN

(turns, startled, to face him) Mr. Ashet. It's an honor to finally meet you.

Mr. Ashet is a deep-voiced man, wearing African style clothing and talking with an African accent. He walks toward Gwen. He's wearing sunglasses in the middle of night.

MR. ASHET

Yes, I suppose it would be.

GWEN

I apologize for your long journey when I can't offer better news.

MR. ASHET

You haven't changed your mind.

GWEN

(they walk together) Mr. Ashet, I understand the amulets you want acquired are very valuable.

MR. ASHET

Yes, that's because they are extremely rare and powerful protective amulets.

GWEN

(they stop walking) Yeah, and considering the holy roller Revelations party that seems to be going on lately, I can see why you might want them. But, as juicy as the commission is, I've got this problem wherein— (Mr. Ashet takes off his sunglasses, revealing very unusual eyes; when Gwen sees them, she looks away and stammers) I'm... very respectfully... going on vacation to Tahiti, sir.

MR. ASHET

You have no idea who I am, do you, Miss Raiden. Or of the dire importance of recent events.

GWEN

I know enough to go to Tahiti.

MR. ASHET

Well said. Perhaps, then, I won't k*ll you for your—

Mr. Ashet's sentence is cut off by the Beast's hand going through his body. The Beast throws Gwen a hundred yards away from them. When she lands, she looks up to see the Beast ripping a hole in Mr. Ashet's body, and there's a ray of light coming from the hole. The Beast pushes the body to the ground and digs around in Mr. Ashet's chest, looking for something as light still sh**t forth from his chest. Gwen witnesses the Beast pull out a metal wing from the man's chest. The Beast looks straight at her and grunts. Gwen panics, stands, and removes her glove, revealing her charged hand as a w*apon, if need be. She looks around, but has lost sight of the Beast.

Fade to black.

Opening credits.

ACT I:

16 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

A siren can be heard outside. Connor's sitting in the open window. Cordelia's sleeping on the floor.

CORDELIA

(sits up in her sleeping bag) Close one?

CONNOR

Four blocks over.

CORDELIA

They're getting more frequent. (rubs her neck) Couple times last night I even dreamt I heard—

CONNOR

Screaming. It wasn't a dream. Things are falling apart out there.

CORDELIA

It's not your fault, you know.

CONNOR

(leans forward toward Cordelia) We should go over to the hotel today, talk to my dad. See if they found out anything new about the Beast.

CORDELIA

They would've told us if they had. Probably just safer if we stay put. Wish I'd known you weren't gonna take your turn on the bed. Maybe I wouldn't have this achy floor-neck.

CONNOR

Well, I didn't want to sleep there without you.

CORDELIA

(smirks) Oh, boy.

CONNOR

I heard that.

CORDELIA

(stands) I'm sure you did.

CONNOR

It's the super hearing.

CORDELIA

(walks to the shelf) Whatever you say.

CONNOR

Kinda makes you wonder where I got it from.

CORDELIA

I'm gonna go wash up. (sighs) Have you seen my— (suddenly, Connor is standing in front of her with a folded bath towel in his hand) towel.

CONNOR

Super-speed and super-strength, too.

CORDELIA

Connor, we've been cooped up here together for two days straight—

CONNOR

Because you won't take me back to the hotel. They don't want me there, do they. Angel doesn't want me there. It's because they think I'm connected to the Beast. That's why you don't want me either.

CORDELIA

Angel knows we slept together. That's why you can't go back to the hotel.

CONNOR

He...

CORDELIA

He knows, Connor. All right? (Connor sits) With his super-smelling and super-Tom-peeping and—I don't even know what else, but... he knows. And he's extremely upset with both of us right now.

CONNOR

We didn't do anything wrong.

CORDELIA

We hurt him. That's enough.

Cordelia gets a vision of the Beast standing near trees in the dark. A woman screams.

CONNOR

(stands, goes to Cordy, concerned) What is it? A vision? What do you see?

CORDELIA

Nothing. I—I have to see Angel. (goes to put on her shoes)

CONNOR

How do you know I'll be here when you get back? Aren't you afraid I'm gonna run off and join the demon?

CORDELIA

(grabs her purse and walks out) I trust you, Connor.

Cut to:

17 INT. LOBBY OF THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - DAY

Gunn's in the lobby, talking to Fred, who's sitting on the edge of the desk, reading a large book on her lap.

GUNN

I don't trust him.

FRED

(looks up from her book) You can't say that. Connor hasn't done anything wrong.

GUNN

Lately. You forgetting Angel's voyage to the bottom of the sea?

FRED

Charles, the little girl in that white room is evil. I felt it. When she said—

GUNN

(paces) "The answer is among you." Come on, who else could creepy locks have been talking about?

FRED

It was probably just some last-ditch mind game to get the Beast to come after us instead of her.

GUNN

(leans up to her face) Baby, that's another thing. Connor's gone toe-to-toe with this guy twice and barely needed a boo-boo kiss afterward. You telling me that's not suspicious?

WESLEY

(walking in from another room) Most of us have encountered the demon twice, and we're still here.

GUNN

(turns to face Wesley) Yeah, but we weren't conveniently born in the exact spot that thing hatched.

FRED

"The answer is among you." Have I mentioned I hate cryptic messages?

WESLEY

Well, there's one thing I can decrypt. (walks up to Fred and Gunn with a book in hand) My sources have already confirmed that, without the little girl, the earthly contingent at Wolfram and Hart is cut off from the senior partners, effectively neutralized. However, it appears that was not her only function. (shows Fred and Gunn the book) I've just found an entry in Rhinehardt's Compendium for that same little girl—or, rather, the entity presenting itself as one. Her name is Mesektet.

FRED

Hmm. I figured Tiffany or Brandy.

GUNN

So you mean Wolfram and Hart was just the day job.

WESLEY

Sort of. You see, Mesektet was one of five enormously powerful beings which are linked to an embodiment of the ancient god Ra.

FRED

(hands book to Gunn and walks up to Wesley) Which makes them totems, right? Symbolic manifestations.

WESLEY

Yes, totems which together form an order called the "Ra-tet."

GUNN

(stands) Must be big. (hands the book back to Wesley, hitting him in the stomach with it) Never heard of them.

WESLEY

That's because their origins have been shrouded in mystery since the dawn of time. Only the totems themselves know their true purpose.

FRED

(frolics back to her computer at the front desk) So, maybe he k*lled this Mesektet for another reason. I'll hit the net. Charles, you wanna update Angel?

GUNN

Mr. Do-Not-Disturb? Doubt it. Don't know why we're bothering with the Ra-Ra's anyway. "The answer is among you," remember?

LORNE

(walks in the front door) Bad news, munchkins. Rumor mill has Dr. Feel-Bad attached to another slice-and-dice yesterday.

FRED

Who was it?

LORNE

Lovely woman. High and mighty white-magic shaman type, and that didn't even faze the Beast. Tore her poor heart right out of her chest.

WESLEY

The M.O. doesn't match. Mesektet had some sort of energy sucked from her. He didn't touch her heart.

FRED

Lorne, you didn't happen to catch the name, did you? Like, Ma'at?

LORNE

Yeah, th-that's the lady.

FRED

Another member of the Ra-tet.

GUNN

He's taking them out, one by one.

WESLEY

Well we can't assume that yet. This Beast has k*lled hundreds of people with his bare hands. You throw in the storms and earthquakes that accompanied the rain of fire, you could put the death toll in the thousands.

FRED

Wes is right. Statistically, it's still a coincidence. Two points—

WESLEY

(looks at Fred) Make a line, not a pattern. (Fred looks back at Wesley, Gunn eyes their connection)

CORDELIA

(walks in from the garden entrance) Hi, guys.

LORNE

Oh, hey, Cordy.

GUNN

'Sup, Cordy?

CORDELIA

(tense, she stares at them) OK, uh, I gotta go see Angel. (hastily walks out of the lobby toward his room)

GUNN

See, I told you Connor can't be trusted. Look how weird he's made her.

Cut to:

18 INT. ANGEL'S ROOM AT THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel's floor is littered with dozens of sketches of the Beast. He's sitting in his chair, researching through several books. There's a knock on the door.

ANGEL

What is it?

CORDELIA (O.S.)

(talking through the door) It's me. I know I don't have to be invited in, but it is polite.

ANGEL

(softly) Go away, Cordelia.

CORDELIA

(opens door, enters room) Well, you know that never works. (walks up to Angel, clears books off the chair next to his, sits. Angel faces away from her) I don't know where to start.

ANGEL

(shuts the book he's reading, stands, walks away) Skip to the end where you leave, and we don't talk about it.

CORDELIA

Aren't you going to ask how Connor's doing?

ANGEL

Yeah, like I really want a progress report. (goes to his table that's covered in papers)

CORDELIA

That's not what I meant. He's scared to death, Angel. Scared that you think he's connected to the Beast.

ANGEL

(r*fles through papers, picks some up to review them) Well, you know, it does tend to show up whenever he's around.

CORDELIA

I swear. Like father, like son. The two of you have cornered the market on teenage snits. How 'bout you stop being angry at me—

ANGEL

(grits his teeth then bangs his hands on the table; turns to face Cordy) How about you stop pretending to give a damn about my feelings.

CORDELIA

I do give a damn. (stands, walks toward him)In fact, I give a whole lot of damn. That's why I came over here. To tell you, "Get over it."

ANGEL

(incredulous) What?

CORDELIA

I had a vision this morning—

ANGEL

(paces, muses mockingly) "Get over it."

CORDELIA

—of the Beast.

ANGEL

(still pacing, musing, mocking) Hm. You know, I never really thought about that. "Get over it." Why didn't I think about that? Hm? (stops pacing, angrily) It's so simple.

CORDELIA

(softly) Angel, (reaches to touch his face, but he grabs her wrist, stopping her from) I'm sorry I hurt you. It was the last thing in the world I wanted to do, but you have to get past it. And you have to get past it now because there are bigger things at stake. I know it's not fair, but it's the way it is. People need you. Your son needs you.

ANGEL

(lets go of her wrist, crosses his arms) Tell me about your vision.

CORDELIA

It was...different from any other— I felt like I was inside somebody else listening to the demon talk, but I couldn't tell if it was in the past or in the future or even where we were exactly.

ANGEL

Who was inside you— (chuckles, rolls his eyes) I mean, who was it you were inside?

CORDELIA

I couldn't tell, but I did feel like there was more I wasn't getting. Like I was just scratching at the surface of something. (sighs) Maybe it'll come to me.

ANGEL

So what did the demon say?

CORDELIA

Don't know. All I got was a visual.

ANGEL

(walks away, angrily) Not much to go on, Cordy. (goes through the papers on the table)

CORDELIA

(follows him) But it's something. And a vision means the phone lines between us and the Powers That Be are still open. Maybe they'll send us a clue.

ANGEL

(looks skyward, sarcastically) As if there's somebody up there watching.

CORDELIA

I was, (Angel looks at her) but I'm back now. So you're going to have to suck it up and deal because things are going to hell, and—and you're the leader. So lead.

Cut to:

19 INT. LOBBY OF THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - DAY

Angel's pacing in front of the team like a general to his troops.

ANGEL

The Powers are sending us a wake-up call, people. Sure, we've been—I don't want to say demolished—beaten. And sure, it's slightly...demoralizing. But from here on out, we're on the offensive. We're gonna find out this thing's weaknesses, we're gonna go in prepared, and we're gonna fight smart. It's time to take down the Beast.

FRED

Uh, we're all behind you, Angel, a hundred percent, but how can we be prepared when there's nothing on this thing.

LORNE

And weaknesses? It's not a sure bet El Destructo has any.

ANGEL

Everyone has an Achilles' heel.

GUNN

Yeah, but until we find his, we're gonna be coolin' ours, 'cause we got nothing without a new lead.

Everyone stops and looks at the front door where Gwen Raiden has just entered.

ANGEL

(glances at Cordelia) Gwen.

GWEN

Hi there. Long time, no hand-to-hand. (walks into the lobby, to Gunn) I remember you.

FRED

(steps in front of him protectively) That guy you k*lled? Yeah, that's him.

GWEN

Kicked you in the face, too, didn't I, cherry? Sorry 'bout that. I really do try to avoid contact. (glances at Angel) Mostly.

ANGEL

(grinning now, walks up to Cordelia) Cordelia, this is—

CORDELIA

I know who she is. (to Gwen) Caught your little show on the omniscient higher plane channel. Thanks.

GWEN

(to Cordy) So, you're the girl who makes his heart go pitter-pat. (grins) Figuratively, at least. (to Angel) You must be so happy.

ANGEL

I am. Not having the best week, to be honest.

GWEN

Tell me about it. I mean, really, tell me. Freak to freak. Is the world about to end, or what?

ANGEL

(walks up to her, concerned) Something happen to you?

GWEN

Met with a client last night in the oil fields, which is odd, 'cause I bagged for this guy six years—big money—and he never wanted to meet before.

CORDELIA

Fascinating as these details must seem to you, we're dealing with much more important stuff right now. Apocalypse. End of the world.

GWEN

Also, while we were talking, he, um, got his chest punched out a big demon with a head made of rock. (Wes overhears, stands, walks up to them) Demon, OK? (Lorne walks out into the lobby) The whole nine—cloven feet and horns and teeth— (sees Lorne) He wasn't wearing lame though.

LORNE

Yeah, the evil ones can't pull it off. It gets camp.

WESLEY

This client of yours, was anything removed from the body?

GWEN

(faces Wes) Didn't see. (to Angel) But you are, hands down, the weirdest person I know, so I figured I'd ask you what's going on.

FRED

(holing a book) Um, excuse me—not that I don't still bear a grudge against you, because I do—but your client didn't happen to be a skinless saber-tooth tiger or composed entirely of light, maybe?

GWEN

Light came out of his chest. How did you know?

GUNN

You wanted a pattern. That makes three.

FRED

He's k*lling the Ra-tet.

GWEN

What's a Ra-tet?

WESLEY

A mystical order. Each totem representing a stage in Ra's journey across the sky. (points to diagram in the book) Here's your client. Two others—these—are dead.

CORDELIA

That means there's two totems left: Manjet and Semkhet.

FRED

The last sighting of Majet was rumored two years ago in Belize, and Semkhet is said to live in a cave in Death Valley.

ANGEL

Then that's easy. All we have to do is find Semkhet and... protect him.

LORNE

(browsing through the book) Yeah, well, won't that be a hoot. Looks like Semkhet is puddy-tat to the world's scariest six-year-old. (shows a drawing of Mesektet with her arm around a huge cat)

CORDELIA

It could be dangerous.

ANGEL

(eagerly) I'll take Gwen.

GWEN

(grimaces) Gee, I feel all warm inside.

CORDELIA

Well, shouldn't we all go? It might—

ANGEL

We can handle it. Super powers. I'll catch her up on the drive. (puts his arm around Gwen's waist and escorts her toward the door)

CORDELIA

It's a four hour trip, both ways.

ANGEL

(turns toward Cordelia) I'm sure we'll find... (gives an exaggerated shrug) something to talk about. (Gwen and Angel walk out the door)

Cut to:

20 EXT. DEATH VALLEY - NIGHT

Angel and Gwen are climbing down a rocky cliff. Angel's foot slips a bit, causing sand and pebbles to fall noisily.

GWEN

(above him, bends to whisper) Geez. Where were you when they taught stealth in super powers?

Angel makes it to the bottom of the cliff. Gwen slips and loses her grip, falling into Angel's arms.

GWEN

I did that on purpose.

ANGEL

That's pretty pathetic.

GWEN

If it's a lie, or if it's the truth.

He puts her down, and they continue toward their destination.

Cut to:

21 INT. CAVE IN DEATH VALLEY - NIGHT

Candles are lit inside the cave. Angel draws his sword and leads Gwen into the cave.

GWEN

(sees the sword) I thought we were here to protect this thing.

ANGEL

We are, unless it's evil. Which, if it is, we prevent the Beast from k*lling it by k*lling it ourselves.

On the cave floor, there's the bloody remains of what once was Semkhet.

GWEN

So much for protecting it.

ANGEL

Looks like it was ripped apart. Charring around the edges. This is definitely our guy. The Beast is systematically executing these totems. I just don't know why.

A man comes around the corner. He's got a gravelly Brooklyn accent. He's wearing a Hawaiian print shirt, khaki shorts and a straw hat.

MAN

I do. It's gonna turn out the sun.

Fade to black.

ACT II:

22 INT. CAVE IN DEATH VALLEY - NIGHT

Resume. Angel and Gwen are talking to a stranger in the cave over the body of Semkhet.

ANGEL

What're you doing here?

MAN

(walks up to Angel) Uh, standing in the remains of my fallen brethren, trying not to have an anxiety att*ck. Who are you two?

ANGEL

I'm Angel. That's Gwen. Got a name?

MAN

I am Manjet, sacred guardian of the Shen, keeper of the Orb of Ma'at, and devotee of light. Off hours, I like Manny.

ANGEL

You're Manjet?

MAN/MANNY

Right.

ANGEL

The last totem of the Ra-tet?

MANNY

Right.

GWEN

I thought you were in Belize.

MANNY

Was 'til I heard Mesektet got whacked. Never liked that chick—evil, right down to her Mary Janes. But family, what're you gonna do?

ANGEL

What did you mean before? The Beast is gonna turn out the sun. Is that some kind of metaphor?

MANNY

Sorry, I don't speak college-boy. I said what I meant. This Beast you're talking about—he's looking to put an end to daylight. Wants to blot out the sun permanently.

ANGEL

You're saying that once the totems are dead, the sun disappears.

MANNY

Uh, not disappears, exactly. And it's not just k*lling us, either. Uh, there's props and a ritual and a chant and a thing and a—suffice it to say, it ain't east. And folks in the Ra-tet, they got some serious juice which is why I never felt worried before.

ANGEL

But you're worried now.

MANNY

Well, there's four out of five down. Let's just say, I'm not looking forward to my retirement in Boca.

GWEN

So, the lights go out. Then what?

MANNY

The city sinks into never-ending darkness, that's what. Vamps, creepies, crawlies, things that go bump in the night are suddenly bumping 24/7. The whole of Los Angeles turns into a, uh—

ANGEL

A demon playground.

MANNY

Bingo. And that's before it starts to spread. California, North America...eventually, hello, global blackout. The world is the Devil's oyster.

ANGEL

We gotta stop him.

MANNY

You sure do and good luck with that. (turns to walk out of the cave)

ANGEL

(runs after Manny) Where do you think you're going?

MANNY

Look, it's probably just a few hours 'til this guy catches up with me. I want to spend my last moments with my oldest, dearest friends down at the, uh, Pink Pony Lounge. (to Gwen) I'll buy ya a lap dance if I can watch.

ANGEL

Forget that. We can take you somewhere safe, Manny. We can protect you.

MANNY

Right, Super Hunk and Spandexia. This thing takes out Mesektet, and you two are gonna protect me? (chuckles)

ANGEL

I don't see anybody else lined up for the job.

MANNY

(leans in, whispers to Angel) You think she'd give me a lap dance?

Cut to:

23 INT. LOBBY OF THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - NIGHT

Angel enters the lobby, followed by Gwen and Manny.

ANGEL

Any movement from the Beast while we were gone?

GUNN

Not a peep. Just wasting time trying to find ways to k*ll him, which, by the way, there aren't any.

FRED

Uh, that doesn't look like Semkhet.

MANNY

Semkhet's not available, sweetheart. Slight case of being ripped open to death in a cave. (takes off his hat) I don't suppose I could interest you in short, stocky orb keeper?

ANGEL

Guys, I'd like you to meet Manny, the last totem of the Ra-tet.

WESLEY

This...is a being of supreme power?

MANNY

You ought to see me in my Armani.

LORNE

What happened to the second-to-last one?

GWEN

Somebody already ripped out the toy surprise.

ANGEL

Good news is, we discovered the Beast's plan.

GUNN

Which is...?

MANNY

To blot out the sun for all eternity. You guys got john?

ANGEL

Right back there.

MANNY

Thanks, pal. (walks out of the room, grabbing newspapers off the desk on the way)

CORDELIA

Why did the small yucky man say that? He's joking, right?

ANGEL

No. Apparently there's a ritual using members of the Ra-tet to change day into night. Forever.

WESLEY

(sits down near Fred) As far as evil plans go, it doesn't suck.

ANGEL

He's k*lled four of the five so far. I figure, we keep Manny safe, the lights stay on long enough, and we find a way to defeat this thing.

FRED

But where are we going to hide him? We need a small, controlled space.

ANGEL

Secure the perimeter. Guards on duty at all times.

GUNN

Kitchen's got a meat locker.

WESLEY

Brilliant. Let's store the one thing that'll stave off perpetual darkness in the home of the only people we're sure the demon knows.

GUNN

You know what? You got a better idea, Einstein?

WESLEY

Gimme time.

GWEN

I know a place.

CORDELIA

(sarcastically) Great, as long as it's not some non-descript tenement downtown...

Cut to:

24 INT. STAIRWELL IN TENEMENT - NIGHT

Gwen is leading Angel, Cordelia, Manny, and Gunn up the stairs in a dingy walk-up apartment building.

CORDELIA

...with discarded boxes in the stairwells and peeling plaster and the faint odor of dead people.

ANGEL

You know, you didn't have to come, Cordelia, if you didn't want to.

CORDELIA

Well, what if I have another vision. Better to be here with you, right?

GUNN

I'd rather be here than back at the hotel, plowing through them annoying books with the symbolic manifestos and the "brilliant."

MANNY

Never trust the book or the bookies, kid. Real juju takes place on the QT. That's why you can't find this Beast, he's too powerful. I mean, taking out the Ra-tet—

GUNN

Speaking of, ain't you Tet folks supposed to be all mighty and colossal?

MANNY

The mid-day totem is man. The neutral totem, the potential of every human soul.

CORDELIA

So, you're just a guy, then?

MANNY

There's more to me than meets the eye. For example, I'm immortal. Unless I'm ritually m*rder*d, of course.

Gwen uses shocks from her bare hand to unlock the electric lock on her door.

CORDELIA

Oh, well it's too bad you came here, then. 'Cause if you're gonna be ritually m*rder*d, it's probably gonna be in a hell-hole—
Cut to:

25 INT. GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Gwen enters the apartment and turns on the lights. In stark contrast to the stairwell they walked up, the apartment is high-class all the way. Walls paneled in wood, expensive rugs, luxurious decor all around.

CORDELIA

(shocked) Like this.

GWEN

Come on in. (the others enter) My butler's already in Tahiti, so we're on our own here. (closes door) I'll hit the kitchen for supplies later if I can just, well, find the kitchen. (walks across the room)

ANGEL

(whispers to Cordelia) The Axis of Pythia—that thing I used to find you on the higher plane—it's worth 33 million dollars. I gave it back to Gwen when I was done.

GWEN

Let's get you set up in the study.

Gwen opens the double doors to the study, and Manny, Gunn, Angel and Cordelia follow.

Cut to:

26 INT. STUDY AT GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Gwen walks over to the bookcase and tilts a book on the shelf, opening a secret panel, revealing a steel door.

GWEN

You never pass up a good cliché. (uses shocks from her hand to unlock the steel door) It's equipped as a panic-room, too. 12 inches of solid steel, it's own ventilation system...

CORDELIA

Homey.

GWEN

(to Manny) You should be safe here.

MANNY

(walks into the panic room) Don't worry, I ain't expecting any miracles.

GWEN

So, guard duty. What do you think. (to Angel) You and me, first shift?

CORDELIA

(to Angel) Uh, wouldn't it make more sense to split up? One super power per shift. (faces Gwen) That way if horn boy shows up, we mere mortals might stand a chance.

GUNN

Makes sense to me.

GWEN

OK then, I'll take Denzel.

GUNN

Uh, actually, it's Gunn. (grins) Not that I mind the freakishly accurate comparison, but you will keep your hands to yourself.

ANGEL

Four hours on, four hours off. Bunk down off duty, get as much sleep as we can. We're already tired. We got a long few days ahead of us. (Angel and Cordelia leave the room)

MANNY

Hey, Gwen. Don't suppose this joint's got Skinemax?

Gwen smirks at him, then closes the door to the panic room.

Cut to:

27 INT. STUDY AT GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Later, Gunn's sitting in a chair in the study listening to Gwen, who's walking around the room.

GWEN

...So then after the second gardener and the fourth nanny, I got sent to the academy. (walks up to Gunn who's staring blankly at his feet) Something tells me my origin story isn't enough to fascinate you.

GUNN

(looks up at Gwen, nods) Oh, no, it is. I was just—just thinking.

GWEN

(rolls her eyes and walks away) Gunn, I already apologized for k*lling you. What do you want, a wake?

GUNN

It isn't that.

GWEN

(turns to Gunn) Then it's the English guy, isn't it? I saw the way he looked at your girl. A good thief is a master of body language.

GUNN

He starts talking with his body, he's gonna have a serious problem.

GWEN

I'm surprised. A few months ago, she was ready to wear sackcloth and ashes for you. (kneels in front of him) When did the landscape change?

GUNN

Long story.

Angel and Cordelia walk into the study. Gwen stands, turns to face Angel.

ANGEL

How's Manny?

GUNN

Gave him some magazines about half hour ago to keep him occupied.

GWEN

Swimsuit Edition. (smiles) He's occupied. (to Gunn) Come on. I'll show you where you can crash.

Gwen and Gunn leave the study, leaving Cordelia and Angel. Cordelia, mug in hand, sits in one of the chairs.

CORDELIA

So, all this time alone together. Could be good for us. (Angel sits in the chair next to her) Maybe we should talk.

ANGEL

(pulls up a table in front of his chair) Maybe we shouldn't. (drinks blood from a glass)

CORDELIA

Valid point. (sips from her mug)

Fade to black.

GWEN

(standing over Angel) Angel, get up.

GUNN

(shaking Cordelia) Cordy. Cordy, come on. Snap out of it.

ANGEL

(startled) Please, I'm awake.

GWEN

(stands) What the hell are you doing, falling asleep on watch?

ANGEL

(groggily) I wasn't...

CORDELIA

What's happening?

ANGEL

...asleep. (comes to, stands, panicked) Manny!

Angel goes to the panic room, followed by Gwen, Gunn, and Cordelia. Jaws agape, they stare at the walls and floor that are covered in blood.

ANGEL

It got him.

CORDELIA

Ugh. You think?

Fade to black.

ACT III:

28 INT. STUDY AT GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Gwen's pacing in the study while Cordelia and Gunn look in on Angel, who's gone into the panic room to investigate the aftermath of Manny's demise.

GWEN

So, was that one of Manny's powers—extra blood and guts? 'Cause I mean that's—that's a lot of blood and guts in there. No way all that Stephen King came out of a normal guy.

ANGEL

(comes out of the room with a grim look on his face) It was the Beast. It was looking for something Manny had.

GUNN

How do you know?

ANGEL

(holds up Manny's hat, which has a huge hole in the top) Oh, it emptied out his head to find it.

GWEN

Wait. Manny said he was an orb-keeper, right? Maybe he kept an orb.

CORDELIA

In his head?

GWEN

Where do you keep yours?

ANGEL

Hold on a second. She's right.

CORDELIA

Of course.

ANGEL

Semkhet—the demon in the cave. You said someone already pulled out the toy surprise.

GWEN

Did I?

ANGEL

The Beast is pulling something out of these totems.

GUNN

(to Gwen) And you knew that.

ANGEL

(walks up to Gwen) Something you're not telling me, Gwen?

Cordy walks up beside Angel, arms crossed, glaring at Gwen.

GWEN

All right. My client—the Beast grabbed something out of him too. A little, metal boxy thing.

CORDELIA

(through gritted teeth) And you neglected to mention this fact.

GWEN

I don't know. I thought the box might be worth something. Look, the apocalypse was coming, there was a giant k*ller demon. I panicked. And, oh, by the way, I'm still a thief, and as a rule we don't share information.

GUNN

OK, what about this cave demon? You think the Big Ugly went treasure hunting inside of him?

ANGEL

It's definitely possible.

CORDELIA

Yes. (paces) But what's impossible is thinking that somehow, someway, the Beast found where we were hiding, spiked the drinks we made ourselves, snuck through this unreasonably large apartment on the tippie-toes of his cloven feet right up to the vault and k*lled poor Manny, unseen and unheard. (glares at Gwen)

GUNN

Maybe whoever did it didn't have cloven feet. "The answer is among you." I can't be the only one thinking it.

CORDELIA

Don't be ridiculous. Connor doesn't even know where we are.

ANGEL

You didn't call him?

CORDELIA

He doesn't have a phone. I can't believe you'd even consider—

GUNN

Even if she didn't call him, last time I checked, that boy could track anybody anywhere.

ANGEL

But I'd know if he'd been here. I'd be able to smell him.

GUNN

Same way you smelled whatever it was spiking your blood?

GWEN

This is impossible.

CORDELIA

Yeah, I thought we were pretty clear on the whole impossible issue.

GWEN

Unseen and unheard. (sighs) Security cameras.

Cut to:

29 INT. GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Gwen walks out through the double doors to the ante room where they first entered the apartment. Angel, Gunn and Cordelia follow.

GWEN

Got 'em in every room. We just gotta rewind the tapes. (goes into her security room, Cordelia follows)

ANGEL

OK. (pauses, to Gunn) In the mean time, call the hotel. Tell 'em about Manny. Tell 'em about the toy surprises too. See if you can find out what they're for, and how we can stop the Beast from using them. (turns to follow Gwen)

GUNN

(reaches out to Angel, stopping him) Angel, about Connor.

ANGEL

Check it out later, like we do every other lead. Go.

Gunn leaves the apartment. Angel goes to the security room.

Cut to:

30 INT. SECURITY ROOM AT GWEN'S APARTMENT - NIGHT

Gwen's looking at some monitors, but they're only showing static.

CORDELIA

What's that?

GWEN

That's nothing. The tapes just go blank. It's like the electrics got cut. Lemme check the systems log. (presses a button, causing a keyboard to pop out; types on it)

CORDELIA

(whispering to Angel) You have to talk to him, Angel.

ANGEL

Who? Gunn? I just did.

CORDELIA

Connor, you dolt, and you know who I meant. So why push my buttons?

ANGEL

Maybe because it's nice to make you crazy for a change.

CORDELIA

You can't seriously think he did it, when there are other more liar-like suspects. (glances at Gwen)

ANGEL

Yeah, well, so-far, he's the only one's got a connection to the Beast.

GWEN

(over her shoulder to Angel and Cordelia) I've got the origin of the blackout. (turns to face them) It kicked off in a small subset of the municipal A-14 grid—that's the one under this block—about ten minutes before your watch.

CORDELIA

What does that mean?

GWEN

It means that somebody knew when you were gonna take over that watch, and somebody knew who's drinks to spike. You ask me, this is an inside job.

CORDELIA

Funny how you were inside at the time. (Gwen rolls her eyes and turns back to the monitors)

ANGEL

Look, enough. Let's just focus on the guy trying to blot out the sun and point fingers later.

Cut to:

31 INT. LOBBY OF THE HOTEL/ANGEL INVESTIGATIONS - DAY

Angel comes into the hotel lobby, followed by Gwen and Cordy.

GWEN

I'm just saying, it never would've happened on my watch.

CORDELIA

Gosh, no. 'Cause you're Super Tramp.

ANGEL

(to Lorne) What's the latest?

LORNE

I checked out the ritual like you asked. (shows Angel a diagram in a book) Looks like there's some assembly required. Turns out these three pieces were inside the totems. The Beast kills the totems, yanks out the pieces, and builds himself a big old light switch.

ANGEL

What about the other two? What'd he yank out of them?

LORNE

Uh, well, I know he sucked the energy out of the little girl and he ripped the heart out of the shaman, but what's not clear is... how he's gonna use 'em.

GWEN

These wings...they're metal, right? Get me close enough, and I can melt them. That'll slow him down.

CORDELIA

If we find him in time. Need I remind everyone that he's already got all the pieces, plus we don't even know where he's gonna perform this ritual.

GUNN

Sun or no sun, I'm not worried about slowing him down. I'm worried about taking him out.

Wesley and Fred walk up to the group.

WESLEY

We may have a solution for that.

FRED

We've done a lot of research, and we think we've found a way to get rid of the Beast. A portal.

GUNN

Hmph. Figures.

WESLEY

We've tried conventional methods—firearms, the usual weaponry—none of which seem to work.

ANGEL

But if we stand against it long enough to find a way to corner it, maneuver it into position—

LORNE

Then maybe we can send this thing back to the Hell Sweet Hell it came from.

Gunn has gone to the weapons cabinet. Fred follows him.

FRED

I know what you must be thinking—

GUNN

That we should've learned our lesson?

FRED

Wesley and I have decided that this is our only option.

GUNN

I know, but I don't got to like it. (rejoins the group)

ANGEL

OK, so we got everything we need to stop the ritual. Let's clear out of here, try to locate the Beast.

Cordelia gasps as another vision comes to her. Again, it's the Beast standing in a field of corpses, growling as the people scream.

CORDELIA

Oh, my God.

ANGEL

Another vision?

CORDELIA

Same one, only there was more of it. A m*ssacre. So many people on the ground, dead, dying. The screaming was so loud.

ANGEL

Could you hear the demon?

CORDELIA

No. But whoever he was talking to, they felt familiar. Like someone I know.

ANGEL

Connor.

CORDELIA

I think it's time we bring him into this, Angel. If nothing else, he's our best chance at finding the Beast.

Cut to:

32 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Connor's lying on his bed, reading something, when there's a knock at the door. He stands and goes to answer it. He opens it to find the Beast standing outside his place.

BEAST

Hello, Connor.

Fade to black.

ACT IV:

33 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Resume. Connor runs away from the Beast toward a beam, which he runs up, gaining momentum to use against the Beast when he turns his body and kicks it in the face. He lands on his feet in front of the Beast. The Beast growls. Connor leaps into the air to kick it again, but the Beast grabs his foot and proceeds to fling him back and forth against the ground. The Beast lets go of Connor's foot, grabs him by the chest, and throws him across the room and out the window.

Cut to:

34 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Connor falls out of his window, landing on the street right as a black car pulls up. It's Angel's car. Gunn was driving, with Angel in shotgun. Cordelia, Wes, and Fred were in the back seat. Everyone gets out when the car stops.

CORDELIA

(goes to Connor's side) Oh, my God! Connor! (holds his bloody head in her hands)

Holding his coat over his head as protection from the light, Angel wants to go to Connor's side, but Gunn prevents him by pushing him to the shade of the building instead.

GUNN

Angel!

ANGEL

What happened?

CONNOR

The Beast. It's upstairs.

WESLEY

Maybe it need to do the ritual—

GUNN

In the place where Connor lives.

ANGEL

We'll figure that out later. Everybody gear up. Wes, you got everything you need?

WESLEY

Ready.

ANGEL

Gwen, go for the orb, the wings, whatever you can get your hands on. Can't let him finish the spell. Gunn, you and I'll keep the Beast busy long enough for Fred and Wesley to work the portal mojo. Cordy—keep him safe.

CORDELIA

(weakly from the street) Dad...

ANGEL

It's OK, Connor. I'm here now. Let's go. (they go inside)

Cut to:

35 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Standing, holding the assembled artifact in front of him, the Beast breathes out black smoke into the orb which rests on two metal wings. He sets it down in the circle that he's drawn on the floor. Chanting now, he kneels and holds a bloody heart over it, letting the blood drip on the orb.

BEAST

(chanting) Ket sahv Ma'at. Ket sahv Mesektet. Ket sahv Ma'at. Ket sahv Mesektet.

Ket sahv Ma'at. Ket sahv Mesektet.

Angel bursts into the room, followed by Gwen, Gunn, Fred and Wesley. The Beast looks up at them, but does not stop the ritual.

FRED

He's already started.

Cut to:

36 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Standing now, Connor holds his hand to his sore ribs as he talks to Cordelia.

CONNOR

I should be up there. I can fight it.

CORDELIA

Don't worry, Connor. I'm sure they're doing OK.

They look up at the broken window of Connor's place.

Cut to:

37 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Wesley and Fred are standing side-by-side, both holding books, chanting. Angel engages the Beast is a fight, but is easily overpowered. While the Beast is distracted with Angel, Gwen sneaks over to the artifact, but the Beast picks up a chair and knocks her down, causing her to drop the artifact. It breaks into its original pieces.

ANGEL

The orb—don't let it—

But his warning is too late, as the orb rolls away from her right to the feet of the Beast. The Beast smirks at Angel.

Cut to:

38 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Cordelia is still looking up toward Connor's place as Connor leans against the car. She gasps as another vision comes to her.

Cut to:

38a VISION

Standing in the field of bodies, the Beast speaks:

BEAST

You're a worthy adversary.

Cut to:

CORDELIA

Oh, no.

Cut to:

39 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

The Beast is back in the circle he drew for the ritual, and begins chanting again.

BEAST

...Ahmun Semkhet. Vesh Ra'at Manjet.

WESLEY

Angel...

Wesley gets Angel's attention as the space in front of the Beast starts to shimmer.

ANGEL

Yeah, I got it. Everybody get ready.

Cut to:

40 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Still holding his wounded ribs, Connor tries weakly to walk toward Cordelia, leaning on the car hood as support.

CONNOR

What's it like when you pass out?

CORDELIA

What?

CONNOR

Things get dimmer, right?

CORDELIA

I guess. Wh—?

They both look up toward the sun as it starts to be blocked out by blackness.

Cut to:

41 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

The Beast is chanting, while the shimmering portal forms in front of him.

BEAST

Ket Mesektet.

ANGEL

Now or never.

Angel, Gunn and Gwen rush the Beast, forcing it backwards through the portal. As he goes into it and disappears, the portal closes.

GWEN

We did it. Didn't we?

Cut to:

42 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

The sun grows steadily darker as blackness consumes it in the sky. Connor and Cordelia are outside, staring at it in horrified wonder. Cordelia gasps as another vision comes to her.

Cut to:

42a VISION

Standing in the field of bodies, the Beast speaks:

BEAST

Our strength is useless, divided.

Cut to:

43 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Angel and g*ng walk forward to where the Beast disappeared.

FRED

Um, why is it still getting dark?

BEAST (O.S.)

I told you once...

Everyone turns to see the Beast standing in the doorway behind them.

BEAST

(walks toward them) You need not be my enemy...

Cut to:

43a MEMORY

Angel has a memory of the Beast speaking to him. It's the same scene as in Cordelia's vision, but this time he's talking to a long-haired Angel from yester-year.

BEAST

Join with me.

Cut to:

BEAST

Angelus.

Cut to:

44 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

In the newly darkened daylight, Cordelia receives visions of the Beast talking to Angelus.

CORDELIA

The answer is among you.

Cut to:

45 INT. CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Angel and g*ng are at a loss for words. The Beast walks closer to them, then swallows the darkened orb.

BEAST

We'll meet again. Soon.

The Beast leaps out of the room through the window.

WESLEY

(looking skyward) My God. The sun. It's gone. Completely obliterated.

Cut to:

46 EXT. STREET BEHIND CONNOR'S PLACE - DAY

Cordelia and Connor are waiting anxiously by the car. Angel and crew come out of the building, and Cordelia runs to them.

CORDELIA

Angel, we have to talk.

FRED

I can't believe we lost the sun.

CORDELIA

Angel, I think I figured it out.

ANGEL

So have I. The Beast knows me.

CORDELIA

No, it doesn't. It knows Angelus. Am I right? While you were upstairs, it came to me. I wasn't having a vision of the demon, I was having a memory of it.

GWEN

How's that again?

CORDELIA

I told you, when I was a higher being, I'd experienced everything you'd ever done as Angelus. But since I've been back, my memory's been fading until the Powers decided to jog it, I guess. Angel, I saw you, long ago, standing in a field of bodies with the Beast.

CONNOR

You knew this thing, and you didn't tell us?

ANGEL

No, I couldn't come up against something like that and not remember.

GUNN

The answer is among you. It's what the little girl meant, isn't it? This was never about Connor, it's about—

FRED

Angelus.

ANGEL

I'm telling ya. I don't know this beast. I'd remember.

CORDELIA

Like you remember falling asleep before Manny got k*lled?

ANGEL

What?

GWEN

And inside job.

ANGEL

What's that supposed to mean?

WESLEY

It means you're a suspect. If Cordelia's right, we should admit the possibility that this Beast may have some sort of power over you to make you do things, to make you forget.

CORDELIA

And he has a plan. The rain of fire, taking down Wolfram and Hart, even blotting out the sun. I think I think now, those were only the first steps to something bigger.

ANGEL

I don't know what to tell any of you, 'cause I don't know what the plan is.

WESLEY

No, but Angelus might. There's only one way we're gonna defeat this Beast. We need Angelus.

Fade to black.

In Loving Memory Of

Glenn Quinn

Fade to black.

Closing credits.