01x05 - The Outsider

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x05 - The Outsider

Post by bunniefuu »

Scenes from last episode

TEASER

At the beachside promenade. Ryan's on his bike. Seth is on his skateboard. They pull up to the Crab Shack and Ryan locks his bike up in the front.

Next, they are both kneeling in front of a t*nk with lobsters inside.

Ryan: So, what are we doing in front of this t*nk?

Seth: Ryan, we're like two samurai, really. And we need to have respect for each other before meeting in battle. And eating lobster is a battle, as you will soon learn. (turns to glance at Ryan, then turns back to the t*nk ) Is that a new shirt?

They both stand up.

Ryan: (looking down at his shirt) Yeah. Your mom bought me some new clothes. Which she didn't have to do.

Seth: (sarcastically) Right. Because we all know you get a lot of mileage out of a t*nk top. Hey, (turns to Ryan) speaking of which, do you think I could pull of the wife beater? You know, switch up my look?

Ryan averts his eyes. Seth gets a clue.

Seth: Gotcha. You got your style I got mine.

Ryan: Yep.

They start walking away.

Seth: (making a 'you're dead' gesture with his index finger at the t*nk, whispering) You're dead.

Cut to lobster shells on plates.

Ryan: That was amazing. A lot of work, but amazing.

Ryan and Seth are sitting at a table with plates full of empty lobster shells. They look satisfied and full.

Seth: So, what's going on with you and Marissa? Did you talk to her?

Ryan: (sighing) I don't think she wants to talk. Everything with her and her dad is -

Seth: Ryan, you know what your problem is? And I speak from experience with *great* authority here - is that you really need to be aggressive, okay? Her and Luke - they're broken up - which means that you need to go after her. Tell her how you feel. It's very easy.

Ryan: What do we do? Where do we go? I have no car. No money.

A waiter comes up and puts down the bill. Seth pulls his wallet out.

Seth: I got it. Threw in a couple of sailing lessons this week. Feeling a little bit flush.

Ryan: Not you too. I can't keep doing this. Ever since your parents took me in, they've been like *paying* for everything. I can't keep taking their money.

Seth: They're parents. They work for us.

Ryan: They're *your* parents.

Seth: They're your guardians. It's the same principle.

Ryan doesn't look happy.

Seth: Okay. What are you going to do for cash then?

In the background, plates/dishes are breaking.

Guy: Get out of here! (presumably the owner/manager)

Ryan and Seth turn to see a guy in a waiter outfit dump a towel in frustration.

Another guy: You can't fire me! I quit.

The guy leaves. Ryan gives Seth a 'what do you think' look.

Seth: Fine. But you're going to hook me up with free lobster.

[Opening credits]

SCENE 1

At the pool house.

Seth: This actually works out good for me. You starting the new job because now... I'm going to have time to do all the stuff that I haven't been able to do since you moved here. Like I'm going to get start my novel.

Ryan: (walking by him, dressing) Be back by six.

Seth: (looks at his watch) Yeah. I know. It's nine now, which means I'm going to have nine hours of me time. You know what I'm saying? For me, Ryan. I'm going to do stuff like learn Chinese. Study my Talmud. You know what I mean? Sink my teeth into it.

Ryan: (grabbing his back pack) You going to be okay?

Seth: (taking a deep breath) Yes. Before you moved here, all I did was hang out by myself anyway. So it's really a return to form.

SCENE 2

In the Cohen kitchen. Some of the women from the planning committee (see previous episodes such as The Gamble) are setting the table.

Tina: Should we not go?

Karen: Maybe we could till Julie we're not going and go anyway.

G3: You guys, that's too mean. We can't do that. Can we, Kirsten?

Kirsten: Absolutely not. We've had this retreat on the books now for months. And Julie's looking forward to it.

They sit down.

One of the women: And some of us were looking forward to retiring early before her husband stole our money.

Ryan and Seth walk in to the adjoining room. Sandy is hiding behind the doorframe, listening to the women talk in the kitchen.

Seth: Uh Dad. What are you doing, man?

Sandy: (gesturing for Seth to be quiet, whispering) I'm waiting for them to disperse. (Seth tries to look into the kitchen, Sandy stops him) I left my briefcase in there. I - I need to get to work.

Ryan: (softly) Well. Go get it.

Sandy: And talk to those women? I can't.

Kirsten: He didn't steal. It wasn't like - She's our friend.

Karen: I can't believe you're defending them. Jimmy Cooper is a thief and a felon.

Seth: (mumbling) Those women are obsessed.

Sandy: (still softly) Are you kidding? A scandal this big in a town this small? I mean, they'll be dining out on this for months!

Tina: What are their kids going to do? I mean. With their father in prison!

G3: You think he's going to jail?

Tina: I hear ten to twenty.

Ryan: (to Sandy) Is that true? Is he going to jail?

Sandy: (shrugging) Jimmy Cooper stole a lot of money from a lot of powerful people.

Seth: What's Marissa going to do without her dad?

The women are still talking in the background.

Sandy doesn't look like he has the answer to Seth's question.

SCENE 3

In the Cooper house. Julie is dumping magazines/pamphlets into a garbage bin.

Julie: I don't want to go. I have to go. Trip's already been paid for. Besides, if I don't show up, those women will spend the entire weekend gossiping about me.

She walks around to the couch where Jimmy is sitting, looking at some papers.

Jimmy: You're being a little paranoid.

Julie: (scoffing) Oh no, I'm not. I'm sure they think I've mastermined this whole debacle.

Jimmy: Honey. They're your friends.

Julie: Please. They're the gatekeepers of this entire community. The community your daughters and I would like to remain a part of? This is my one chance to go before the f*ring squad and plead for a stay of execution. (st*lks off)

Jimmy: Well, I was hoping to be able to talk this weekend.

Julie: (stopping) This is your mess, Jimmy. You clean it up. And when I get back, we'll figure out what the hell we're going to tell our girls. (leaves the room)

SCENE 4

At the beach. Marissa is in a flowery bikini, sun tanning on a beach chair. Summer is on another beach chair next to Marissa, wearing a red, white polka-dot bikini.

Summer: Ugh! I'm totally crispy. (sighs) Let's go do something. Shopping? Get exfoliated? Anything.

Marissa: And I'll pay for it how? I mean, my dad's credit card got shut off yesterday.

Summer: Well, what about Luke? I mean, he could pay for you. He *is* your boyfriend, right?

Marissa: I don't know. (takes a deep breath) We left things kinda up in the air.

Summer: You haven't talked to him since Cotillion?

Marissa: I haven't talked to anyone. Except you.

Pause.

Summer: Okay, Coop. This is so not the way to handle this. I mean, you're going to become depressed. And then you're going to need medication. And then you're going to stop feeling like anything. (Marissa levels a look at her) According to my step mom.

Marissa: (smiling indulgently) Uh huh.

Summer: Come on. Let me buy you lunch. My dad gave me his credit card in case of emergencies. And well, *this* is an emergency.

Marissa smiles and they both laugh lightly.

Marissa: Okay.

SCENE 5

At the Crab Shack. Donnie is walking really fast with Ryan following him. They are both wearing waiter/busboy outfits.

Donnie: All right, man. I'm going to give you the run down.

They get to a table that hasn't been cleared. Donnie grabs a paper place setting and a napkin.

Donnie: This - is garbage. (crumples them up) It belongs - in the garbage. (tosses them into a garbage bin next to them) This. (holds up plates with leftover food on them) Belongs over here. (puts plates in a bin) And uh (rubs his hands together) now for the advance class. (taps Ryan's chest with the back of his hand)

Donnie walks up to a woman sitting alone and leans down charmingly with his hands behind his back.

Donnie: Hello, Mrs Palmer. How are you today? Would you like another glass of Merlot?

Mrs Palmer, a thirty-ish blonde, nods. Donnie and Ryan walk away.

Donnie: (quietly to Ryan) Drunk. (picks up a bill)

Ryan: Been working here long?

Donnie: Oh, man. Too long. Everybody that comes in here is a *freak* show. They like to have thirty-dollar entrées on plastic plates. Sixty-dollar bottles of wine in plastic cups. And their service - with a big smile. (rings up the bill he picked up) Welcome to Newport. Where things only *appear* to be casual.

Marissa and Summer walk in. Summer is saying something to Marissa.

Donnie: (turning to watch Marissa and Summer walk in) Of course, living here does have its upsides.

Marissa stops when she sees Ryan. Summer walks on ahead of her obliviously.

Ryan: (to Marissa) Hey.

Marissa: Hey.

Ryan: First day on the job.

Marissa: Oh. Wow. Well, the food here is... really good.

They both smile uncomfortably at each other.

Ryan: How's your dad?

Marissa: He's okay.

Ryan: How are you?

Marissa shrugs.

Summer: (from across the room, really loudly) Coop! Starving?

Marissa nods.

Ryan: Ah. I should get back to work.

Marissa: Right. (starts walking away)

Ryan: (really quickly) You want to hang out sometime?

Marissa stops.

Ryan: (looking nervous) Go out?

Marissa: (smiling slightly) Like on a date?

Ryan: (too quickly) Not a date. Uh. Just... (like he's trying to find the words to stop sounding stupid)

Marissa: I can't. Right now.

Ryan: Of course. (looks disappointed) Right.

Marissa: But thanks. (tries smiling) See ya. (takes off)

Ryan looks as though he wants to kick something. Or himself.

SCENE 6

Somewhere in the Cooper/Cohen neighbourhood. Sandy is in his car, pulling up to Jimmy, who is walking the dog.

Sandy: Hey, Jimmy.

Sandy stops the car. Jimmy stops the dog.

Sandy: How's it going?

Jimmy: Ah. (scoffs) Never better.

Sandy: Listen, I was thinking. How would you like some free legal advice?

Jimmy: (a little confused) You want to be my lawyer? How long do you want to send me away for?

Sandy: I got way too big an ego for that.

Jimmy: Oh. That's true.

Sandy: No. I wouldn't be representing you. I've got a friend who is a securities attorney. But I could help you put together the case.

Jimmy: (definitely confused) Why would you do that? You don't even like me.

Sandy: Well... I'm a public defender. I represent a lot of people I don't like.

SCENE 7

At the Crab Shack. Ryan is clearing a table. Summer and Marissa are at a table.

Summer: (watching Ryan walk to the kitchen) I wish somebody'd told me he worked here now.

Marissa: Why?

Summer: (looking nervous and uncomfortable) No reason. (suddenly looks to the door) Oh! What do you know? Luke! What a coincidence! (totally fake with a nervous smile)

Marissa: (upset) You invited him?

Summer: Got to pee! See ya! (grabs her bag and leaves)

Marissa: Wait! Summer! (not loudly so as to not attract attention)

Summer gives Luke a little smile as she takes off. Donnie is walking out of the kitchen, carrying two plates.

Donnie: (to Luke) Hey, man.

Luke just gives him a 'yeah, right' laugh and walks up to the table where Marissa is sitting. Donnie looks upset behind Luke's back.

Luke: Hey, babe.

Marissa: (smiling weakly) Hey.

Luke sits down where Summer was.

Donnie: (walking up to Ryan, placing a hand on his back) I hate that kid, man. I - I seriously hate that kid. He walks in here like he owns the place. Let me tell you something, that Abercrombie and Fitch, water polo playing bitch wouldn't last two minutes in Corona.

Ryan sits down on a stool and Donnie leans on the counter next to him.

Ryan: You from Corona?

Donnie: Yeah, man.

Ryan: (pointing to himself) Chino.

Donnie: (looking at Ryan) Chino? That's a long way from home. That place's no joke, man.

At the table, Marissa and Luke are looking uncomfortable.

Marissa: So, I'm sorry I haven't called you back.

Luke: Ah, no. No worries. We don't have to talk about it.

Marissa: Maybe we *should* talk about it.

Luke: Why? Talking about stuff's just going to get us all bummed out. Let's just... Let's just *do* something.

At the counter.

Donnie: Yo, so these Newport kids must make you sick too then.

Ryan: Sounds like you're a fan.

Donnie: You know, I like to surf. I like the tips. Love the girls. Plus it's not all like this, man. There's - There's some real people around here.

Ryan: Yeah?

Donnie: I tell you what. After work, I'll show you what I'm talking about. (raises his fist) Cool?

Ryan bumps fists with Donnie.

Ryan: Cool. (looking kind of tired and unenthused as Donnie walks away)

Luke: (leaning forward to Marissa) Holly's beach house. Party.

Marissa: (shakes her head) I don't really wanna.

Luke: Why not?

Marissa: (a little loudly) It's weird! (then softly) I mean her - her dad b*at up my dad at my debutant ball.

Luke: Yeah, well, you can't blame Holly for that! I mean, your dad stole all their money.

Marissa: (looking disgusted, gets up to leave) Nice.

She leaves quickly, exchanging a glance with Ryan on the way out. Ryan turns to see Luke glaring at the table.

SCENE 8

At the Cohen house. Seth is lying on a lounge chair by the pool. He's listening to a MP3/Minidisc player. He looks like he's dying from boredom. Finally, he removes the earphones and grabs his skateboard.

At the Crab Shack. Donnie is counting small stacks of money.

Donnie: Normally, we don't tip out the trainees, but uh, you did good, man.

Ryan: (taking the cash offered to him) Thanks.

Donnie: All right. Now you can buy me a beer. I'm gonna go grab my sweatshirt. (takes off for the back)

Ryan: All right.

Ryan walks out of the Crab Shack and Seth skates up to him.

Seth: Hey!

Ryan: What's up?

Seth: Craziest thing, uh, just happened. I was in the neighbourhood, checked my watch, it's six o'clock. I figured - come by and celebrate your first day on the job perhaps.

Ryan: Yeah...

Donnie: (walks up and puts a hand on Ryan's shoulder) So, kid. You ready?

Ryan: Yeah. Yeah, actually, I made other plans. This is Donnie. He grew up in the town next to me. Uh, Donnie. Seth.

Donnie: (shaking hands with Seth) What's up, man?

Seth: Wow. Hey. What's up. Well, then. Wow. You guys must have a lot of catching up to do.

Donnie: We got some, uh, some girls we got to catch up with, right? The, uh, the blonde's a dancer. (points to two girls standing some ways off)

Seth: Ah, yes. The ladies. I hear ya.

Ryan: Well, uh, do you wanna - (turns to Donnie) Donnie, is it cool -

Seth: No no no no no no. Please, no. You guys, go. I - Cause I have to. I was going to do stuff. Uhm. But Donnie, hey, it's really good to meet you, man. (shakes Donnie's hand again)

Donnie: All right, man. Let's go, son. (takes off to where the girls are)

Ryan: Yeah.

Seth: See ya. So then, I'll just see you at home. Uh, tomorrow. Or tonight. Or just - I don't know - Just go.

Ryan starts walking away and Seth is completely flustered.

Ryan: (slowing down) You sure you don't want to -

Seth: No. No. Just - (waves him away)

Ryan: All right. (waves)

Seth: All right. (waves) Have fun.

Seth looks lonely on the promenade. He skates off.

SCENE 9

At the Cohen house the next morning. Ryan walks into the kitchen where Seth is sitting at the counter. Seth is reading a comic book, determinedly not looking up at Ryan. Ryan picks up a box of cereal from the counter and eats right out of it.

Ryan: What are you reading?

Seth: The new Legion came out Wednesday. It's part two of five.

Ryan: I liked part one.

Seth: Yeah. I'll let you borrow it when I'm done. (still not looking up)

Ryan is staring at him.

Ryan: Thanks.

Seth: How was last night?

Ryan: Fun.

Seth: Cool. (Finally looking up at Ryan) That's cool that, you know, that you met someone that's where you're from. You know - it's just - you know, cool. (he tries waving it off like he doesn't care, then goes back to reading)

Seth finishes reading the comic, then closes it and pushes it towards Ryan. He then opens another comic book and proceeds to read it with a lot of focus.

SCENE 10

At the beach. Marissa and Summer are in bikinis (different from the day before).

Marissa: I mean, I know he's not the most sensitive guy in the world.

Summer: No one wants to see you with Luke more than me. But what you're going through right now is gnarly. Luke's a boy. Maybe he can't handle it.

They are putting on sun tan lotion.

Summer: (looking down at her own shoulder) Is it bad to burn on top of a peel?

Marissa: (distracted, then looking briefly at Summer's shoulder) Uh. Yeah. Put thirty on it.

Summer: Coop. Your life *will* stabilize. Your parents *will* work it out. Your mom will go away this weekend. They'll miss each other. They'll have make up sex.

Marissa: (laughing) Ew! Summer!

Summer: (walking away) It's true!

Ryan: Marissa.

Marissa turns to see Ryan riding up on his bike.

Ryan: Hey.

Marissa is looking a little uncomfortable or shy.

Ryan: Heading into the office.

Marissa: Yeah. Me too.

Marissa/Ryan: (talking over one another) You know what / So I was thinking, uh.

They both stop talking.

Ryan: When I asked if you wanted to hang out, I was asking you out.

Marissa: (looking kind of happy) I know.

Ryan: I just wanted to clear that up because I'm going to ask you out again. You want to do something tonight?

Marissa: Well, I have to baby-sit for Kaitlin. But I will be cooking - macaroni and cheese. It's my specialty.

Ryan: So, that's a yes.

She nods.

Ryan: All right.

He walks his bike away. She looks pleased.

SCENE 11

Sandy and Jimmy are looking through documents that are spread on the floor, boxes all around them.

Jimmy: Won't these costs be covered by chapter eleven?

Sandy: Well, filing for bankruptcy isn't going to make this thing go away. The U.S. Attorney's office is involved in this now. They'll push for fraud and unauthorized transactions.

Jimmy: Yeah, so, they fine me. And I go back to work. And I make it all back.

Sandy: Four million dollars? Unless you plan on going to the track and getting *really* lucky...

Jimmy: Look. If you don't want to do this -

Sandy: You're going to lose your series seven license. (Jimmy looks stressed) It's really important that you understand the predicament you're in.

Jimmy: Look. (fingers at the bridge of his nose, as if he has a really big headache) I get it from my wife every day. My daughters won't talk to me. I got my ass kicked in front of everyone at the most elegant event of the year. I get it. Okay, man. I, I, I definitely understand.

Sandy: Well, look. We're both tired. Maybe we should take a break. Go out.

Jimmy: Uh. What do you want to do?

Sandy: Well, our wives are away for the weekend. We could... Well, what did we do before we got married?

SCENE 12

At some resort. The ladies are all in terry cloth robes with sunglasses, sitting on lounge chairs by a pool.

Tina: Put that thing away, Kirsten.

Kirsten: (messing with her Blackberry) I'm sorry. Put a bid in on a new development. The counter offer is outrageous.

Karen: We're here to relax. Just because you have a job.

Julie: (reading a magazine) She's lucky she has a career. (Kirsten turns to look at her) Well, I mean, it's not luck. You're very hard worker. (Kirsten looks back down) God knows I could use my own income right about now. Okay. Let's just say that I better enjoy the weekend because I won't be back for a while.

Tina: Oh, don't say that. It's not true.

Karen: Jules, tell me, did you have any idea about any of it?

Julie: Who'd have known? (scoffing lightly) We have a deal. My domain is the kitchen and the bedroom, his is the office. I held up my end of the bargain.

Tina: You poor thing.

Julie: Believe me. If I'd had known anything, I would have taken my girls out of the country. It's them I'm concerned about.

Kirsten is 'ignoring' the conversation.

Julie: I mean, having to live with the shame of what your father's done?

Kirsten: (not looking up) Maybe we shouldn't talk about this.

Julie: (mildly) Oh no. I don't mind. I mean, to be honest, I blame myself. I feel like I should have known. Like... I should have sensed it somehow.

Tina: (vehemently) Well, how could you? You had no idea!

Karen: You can't b*at yourself up. You're a victim here.

Julie: You're right. I know. It's just... (sighs) what else can I do?

Karen: I have the name of a GREAT attorney.

Tina: Ooh. A good attorney could really help Jimmy.

Karen: It's for Julie. To divorce his sorry ass.

Kirsten: Girls. This isn't helping Julie relax. Isn't that why we're here? (Julie gives her the evil eye)

Tina: Kirsten's right. (laughs lightly) You wouldn't get a divorce. (then turning serious when Julie remains silent) Would you?

Kirsten looks over at Julie.

Julie puts on her sunglasses then lays back on her chair with a sigh.

SCENE 13

At the Crab Shack. Ryan is cleaning up some tables. Seth walks in.

Seth: Hey.

Ryan: Hey.

Seth: How do you feel about a little thing that I like to call... (whips out two tickets) the Imax Experience. This town sucks, best I could do.

Ryan: Uh. I can't. I'm hanging out with Marissa tonight.

Seth: So, we'll get a third ticket. I really don't think it's going to be sold out.

Ryan: Well, she's got her sister.

Seth: Fine. Four tickets then. I like Kaitlin - she's nice and she's smart for a fifth grader.

Ryan: Actually, I, uh, was going to go over there. Help her... baby-sit.

Seth: Ohhh. Nice. The baby-sit. I see. Stepping it up, taking it to the next level. I can respect that.

Ryan: Yeah. (to Donnie, who is counting money behind him) Hey Donnie, I'm going to head out in a minute.

Donnie: All right, man. I'm going to head out of here too. Can't believe we, uh, survived this shift. (hands Ryan his portion of the tips) I'm so hung over, man. What're you going to do now?

Ryan: Uh. I got plans.

Donnie: All right.

Ryan walks away to clear more tables.

Seth: I've got two tickets to the Imax, Donnie. It's a shark movie. Hear me out. It's very violent.

Donnie: Shark movie. What're you - like eight?

Seth: You got a better idea?

Donnie: I got a, uh, house party in Long Beach. Six kegs, crazy honeys.

Seth: Okay. Yes. That is better.

Donnie: Wanna come?

Seth: (looks up hopefully) Uh. (Ryan hears the offer and looks over) Is that - is that cool?

Donnie: (does that fist bumping thing with Seth) Let me just... change up. (walks to the back)

Seth: All right. (Ryan walks up to Seth) I do enjoy the crazy honeys.

Ryan: (blandly) You're not going.

Seth: (laughing/scoffing) Okay, MOM. Except that I am.

Ryan: It's... kind of a shady neighbourhood. It's pretty hard-core.

Seth: Dude, it's Long Beach, not Chechnya.

Ryan: Seth, guys like Donnie - you don't exactly know them and they don't exactly know... kids like you.

Seth: (sarcastically) So, I shouldn't wear my ascot and talk about Grey Poupon?

Ryan: How're you going to get there?

Seth: I've got my mom's Range Rover. (Ryan gives him a 'oh really' look) What? I'll park it up the street. (Ryan looks unconvinced; Seth scoffs) Look. Donnie's a good guy, right? He's cool, right? So, maybe, this way, we can all be friends? We can all hang out.

Donnie: (coming out from the back) You boys game or what?

Seth: Yeah.

Ryan: (seriously to Seth) We go for one hour.

SCENE 14

At the Cohen house. By the pool, Sandy is at the barbeque. Jimmy walks up with two Coronas.

Jimmy: You know how long it's been since I've had a steak? I live with three vegetarians.

Sandy: (takes a beer from Jimmy) Oh. You know how long it's been since we've had beer in the house? I'm so sick of Chardonnay and Merlot. (they clink bottles) Cheers.

Jimmy: Cheers.

The phone rings inside the house.

Sandy: You want to grab that? These are almost done.

Jimmy: Yeah. (goes into the house and picks up the phone) Hello?

At the spa, Kirsten is on the other end of the line.

Kirsten: (confused) Jimmy? Did I dial your number?

Jimmy: No, no, no. I'm at your place.

Kirsten: Ohh. Working on the case.

Jimmy: Well, uh, we're taking a break... actually.

Kirsten: (in disbelief) With Sandy?

Jimmy: Yeah. We're doing, uh, doing guy stuff.

Kirsten: Oh. All right. Well, uh, when you finish, uh, doing guy stuff, would you have Sandy give me a call? I just called to see if everything was okay. Is it?

Jimmy: Well, uh. (sighs) I guess. Uh, I don't know.

Kirsten: You know, I've - I've been, really worried about you.

Jimmy: Hmm. Thanks. (Julie is walking up behind Kirsten at the spa) I appreciate it.

Kirsten: (not realising that Julie is standing behind her) Well, uh, I'll talk to you when I get back. Take care, Jimmy.

Kirsten hangs up and turns around. Julie is standing there staring at her.

Julie: Your concern for my husband is REALLY touching. (walks away)

Kirsten is speechless.

SCENE 15

Somewhere in Long Beach. Ryan and Seth arrive at an outdoor party that is very alive. It's filled with people, cars and loud music. On the way in, a girl smoothes a hand up Seth's chest. Seth looks scared. They walk further in and then stop.

Seth: (pointing) She really is a dancer.

Pan to one of the girls from Donnie and Ryan's date the night before. She's just taken off her shirt and is dancing on a raised platform. She then removes her skirt. Seth gives Ryan a 'well-done' look. Ryan just looks surprised.

Donnie: (from across the party) Yo, Chino! Come here, man. I want you to meet some of my boys.

Ryan: You have forty-five minutes. (walks towards Donnie)

Seth: Yeah. (totally engrossed in the stripping girl) We should see if she wants to come back to the pool house. (follows Ryan)

Ryan: Don't say pool house.

Seth: Right.

SCENE 16

At the Cohen house. Jimmy and Sandy are sitting on the floor, playing videos games.

Jimmy: Oh, dude! I thought you said you played before?

Sandy: Well, some people have a natural talent. (punches the buttons, then lowers the controller in defeat) Not me.

Jimmy: I haven't played videos games in like, I - I - I can't remember the last time I played. (still playing the game) Are we old? Because... if I didn't know better, I'd swear I was still sixteen.

Sandy: Oh, I'm still twenty-two. Was the best year of my life.

Jimmy: Yeah, uh, why twenty-two?

Sandy: That was when I met Kirsten.

Jimmy kind of nods, but is still playing the game.

Sandy: Why sixteen?

Jimmy: Ah. It was when, uh... (pauses) *I* met Kirsten.

Jimmy looks over at Sandy who is now paying attention to the game. Jimmy sighs, then they both return to the game silently.

SCENE 17

At the Cooper house. The phone is ringing. Marissa enters the room, looking at her watch.

Marissa: (picking up phone) Hello?

Ryan: Marissa?

Marissa: Hey. (covers one ear because the connection is noisy) Where are you?

At the party, Ryan is on the phone. Donnie comes up and places an arm around his shoulder. Donnie has a plastic cup (of beer?) and seems a little intoxicated.

Donnie: Yo. What did I tell you, man? How much better is this than Newport?

Donnie stumbles away.

Ryan: I got dragged to a party, but uhm, I'm leaving. I'm on my way. I just... got to get Seth away from, uh... this - this dancer.

Marissa: (curtly) Dancer?

Ryan: It's - It's a long story. But, uh, be there soon. (apologetically) Save me some mac and cheese?

Marissa: (a little pissed off) Sure. See ya. (hangs up quickly)

She looks disappointed and upset.

At the party, Ryan walks up to where Seth is talking to two girls.

Ryan: (grabs Seth's arm) Seth. We got to go.

Seth: Whoa. Uh. Whoa. Uh. (turns back to the girls) One second. (pulls Ryan to the side) Hang on a second. All right, listen, I am really connecting with this girl, okay? Check it out. She just moved here with her sister from Uzbekistan and they're saving for a condo, right? Nice. That hits here. (he thumps his chest with his fist) Now, she does have a serious boyfriend. But you know what - she's looking to -

Ryan quells him with a glare.

Seth: (turning to the girls) Good luck with the condo.

The girls are going 'what?'

Seth follows Ryan out of the party. A bunch of people walk into the party.

Guy: (walking into the party) Some dude just demo'd a Range Rover. That car is messed up!

Ryan and Seth exchange looks, then look at the group walking away.

SCENE 18

At the Cohen house. Seth and Sandy are standing outside in the driveway, looking at the Range Rover. There's white spray paint all over the car (I think the hood of the car says 'Rich boy') - basically, it just looks trashed. Ryan is sitting on the steps, watching them.

Sandy: (disbelievingly) So, this all happened in the parking lot of the Imax movie theatre?

Seth: (with a dramatic 'I know' sigh) Shark movies bring out a rough crowd.

Sandy looks at Seth, and Seth just shrugs guiltily.

Sandy: I'll call the insurance company, but you're explaining this to your mother. Tonight. (walks towards the house) Could get ugly.

Seth rolls his neck.

Seth: (softly) Yeah. (turning to Ryan) So, did you call Marissa?

Ryan: Tried her again this morning. She doesn't want to talk -

Seth: Man, I'm sorry I salted your game.

Ryan: Yeah. (sadly) I got to get to work. (picks up his backpack, grabs his bike and takes off)

SCENE 19

At the spa. The ladies are in a steam room. Kirsten is just walking in with a towel around her body.

Karen: So, I'll give you Richard's number when you get back. He's the best. He did Carol's divorce - she got everything.

Julie: (lack lustre) Thanks. That'd be great.

Kirsten: (sitting down) Are you really considering a divorce?

Julie: Why? You gonna call Jimmy and tell him?

Karen: Julie needs to protect herself.

Kirsten: I can't believe you're encouraging this, Karen. When your husband got caught with his assistant, no one gave you the number to a divorce attorney.

G3: Kirsten, that was very uncalled for.

Kirsten: No, what is uncalled for is your five hundred dollars a day coke habit in college.

G3: It was just sophomore year.

Tina: What Jimmy did - was wrong.

Kirsten: Oh, spare me. You have an entire Guatemalan family cleaning your house for less than minimum wage. (Pause) I have spent this entire weekend, listening to you women judge Jimmy. Yes, he made a mistake, a big one. But life is complicated and none of us is perfect, not even you, Julie.

Julie: (scandalized) And what is that supposed to mean?

Kirsten: He didn't buy ponies and jewellery for himself.

Julie: How interesting that you should take his side.

Tina: Uh, shower time. Limo leaves at six.

Kirsten: He did all this for you because he wanted to give you everything. And now, you're just going to leave him.

Julie: He lied to me, Kirsten.

Kirsten: (loudly) You lied to yourself! I know Jimmy.

Julie: I know. I've heard. He still has your prom photo up on our wall.

Kirsten: (quieting down) It's all in the past.

Julie: (getting angrier) Really? You think it's a coincidence that we ended up living next door to you? (Kirsten looks stricken) I'm the one who married him. This is MY problem, not yours.

Julie gets up to leaves. Then she stops.

Julie: (turning back) Who knew that when he knocked me up that it'd be the best thing that ever happened to you.

Julie gives Kirsten one last glare, then leaves. Kirsten looks like she's just been scolded.

SCENE 20

At the Cooper house. Marissa is in her room, taking down a picture of Luke and her from a bulletin board of sorts. She's looking at it nostalgically. As she turns, Seth walks into the room, knocking lightly on the door.

Marissa: Uh. Hey.

Seth: Hey. Uh, your dad let me in.

She nods.

Seth: He seems like he's doing better.

Marissa: (shrugging uncomfortably) Yeah, I guess.

Her cell phone rings.

Seth: (pointing at the cell) You going to get that?

Marissa: Oh, it's probably just Summer calling about another party at Holly's. (picks up the cell phone and turns it off)

Seth: Ah yes, another one of those.

Marissa: (dumps the phone on her bed, then turns back, crosses her arms in front of her chest and says with fake cheer) So, how did it go with the dancer?

Seth: Uhm. Actually, that's what I wanted to talk to you about. (Walks up to her) Last night - was totally my fault. Okay? Ryan was extremely bummed that he didn't get to make his blockbuster night. And I know that you're going through a lot right now and the last thing you needed was to get stood up, so... I apologize.

Marissa: Well, that's very... thoughtful. (uncrosses her arms)

Seth: Yeah, well. He's pretty mad at me right now. So, why don't you help a brother out? How about another date? (Marissa looks uncertain) Hmm? He's a good cook.

But then Marissa smiles shyly.

SCENE 21

At the club. Jimmy takes a swing with his golf club at the tee.

Jimmy: (looking at his ball take down the fairway) I tell ya. One good swing and I love this game.

Sandy: Nice drive. (places his ball) So, I talked to my friend the securities attorney this morning.

Jimmy: Working on the weekend.

Sandy: Working for you to keep you out of jail. And he's pretty sure he's going to be able to make that happen.

Jimmy: Excellent.

Sandy: It's contingent on you making full restitution. You're going to lose your series seven license and you'll never be allowed near another investment account. But... little or no jail time. (lines up his sh*t)

Jimmy: So, I got to pay back everything I lost.

Sandy: (stands up straight from his swinging position) And even then, there are no guarantees. (Jimmy looks restless) But it's your only option.

Jimmy: (pacing) Yeah, well, that's - that's - that's not an option. Where in the hell am I going to find four million dollars?

Sandy: Well, your house is valued at three point two, you got two six in equity. That's a good start.

Jimmy: You want me to sell my house? Julie will - she'll leave me.

Sandy: Julie cares about you and the kids. She's not going to care about giving up the house if it means keeping you.

Jimmy: Whose wife are we talking about? (Sandy looks up at him) No. We gotta - We gotta come up with something else.

Sandy: This is it. This is a gift. Be grateful.

Jimmy: Grateful?

Sandy: What - Did you think it was just going to go away? That there were going to be no consequences? You got to get real.

Jimmy: Hey! Who are YOU to tell ME to get real? You - You live in a fantasyland. You're married to the richest girl in the county. You live in a house you've never paid for! (gets up in Sandy's face) You get fired? Kirsten wouldn't even notice it! You have no idea what it's like to provide for a family! (turns away angrily)

Sandy: I think there's more to providing for a family than money. You want to be there when Marissa graduates? You want to watch Kaitlin grow up? You can start over. You can start a new life.

Jimmy: I don't want a new life. I want - I want my old one back. (scoffs) But I guess that's not going to happen, huh?

SCENE 22

At the Crab Shack. Ryan is carrying two plates of food out of the kitchen.

Ryan: Hey. What's up?

Seth: Seth Cohen. Your friendly neighbourhood pimp, at your service. I had a little conversation with Marissa, it's totally handled. (hangs back while Ryan puts down the plates of food)

Ryan: (to the girls) I'll be right back with your drinks. (walking back past Seth) What are you talking about?

Seth: (following Ryan) Well, it turns out that I'm quite skilled at getting a date, provided it's not for me. You're going to have the house to yourself, she's going to coming over shortly and you will be cooking.

Ryan walks to the kitchen.

Donnie: (walks up to the register, with more money. To Seth) What's up, man?

Seth: Hey.

Donnie: What's the, uh... agenda for tonight? Any plans?

Seth: Not really. No.

Donnie: You know about anything going on?

Seth: There's a lame beach party, typical Newport scene.

Donnie: You know what, man. We should go.

Seth: No. It's not for me. It's going to be a bunch of water polo guys and their girlfriends.

Donnie: Yeah. I don't get the whole water polo thing down here.

Seth: Nor do I. Just a bunch of dudes who enjoy wearing Speedos.

Donnie: I mean, what do these kids know about partying anyway, right?

Seth: I couldn't agree more.

Donnie: But the girls are hot. (Seth nods) So, with the right attitude and a couple of cocktails, could be fun. If it's not, we'll make it fun. You know, life is what you make it.

Seth: (pauses) That's very wise, Donnie.

Donnie: Tell you what, man. This is what we're going to do. We're going to go over there, I'm going to call a couple of my boys, we're going to drink their beer, we're going to dance with their honeys, and we're going to have ourselves a good time.

They do that fist bumping thing again.

Seth: All right.

Donnie: All right?

Seth: All right.

Donnie leaves for the kitchen.

Ryan comes up behind Seth and glares at him.

Seth: (turning and scoffing lightly) Enough with the whole moody scowl thing. Please. It's not a big deal.

Ryan: You're going to take him to a Newport party?

Seth: Yeah, exactly. Now it'll be on my turf. (pauses) Actually, I don't really have any turf, but if I had turf - this would be it. And not only that, Summer's going to be there.

Ryan: (looking worried) I don't know about this, Seth -

Seth: I do, okay? It's fine. It is not a big deal. I promise. Now... you got a date, okay? So, you have to go. (Ryan still looks worried) Make me proud. (Ryan gives up and walks away) Put a sock on the door!

SCENE 23

At the Cooper house. Marissa is standing in front of a mirror in her room. She's wearing a very pretty spaghetti-strap dress. Her hair is up, then she decides to take it down. She tries pulling it back, but settles on leaving it down.
Cut to the Cohen house. Ryan is working the barbeque as Marissa walks in. She's carrying a Tupperware filled with some yellow stuff.

Marissa: Hey! I brought you some leftovers.

Ryan: (looking over his shoulder) Should go well with grilled cheese. (Marissa walks up and looks over his shoulder at the food, then smiles happily) My specialty.

Marissa: Ooooh. Very fancy.

Ryan: Hey... don't knock it till you try it. (puts two sandwiches on a plate) Dinner is served.

SCENE 24

At Holly's beach house. The party is in full swing. Donnie walks in with Seth and two of Donnie's friends. There are lots of good looking people dancing and mingling. Summer is there.

Seth: Kind of lame right.

Donnie: I'm seeing, uh... (leering at some girls walking by) lots of potential here actually. (thumps Seth's chest with his fist)

Seth looks very proud of himself.

Outside, Luke walking in the sands, pouring his beer dejectedly onto the ground.

Holly: (walking out to where Luke is) Hey. Where's Marissa?

Luke: She's at home. We're, uh, we're sort of taking a break.

Holly: (sidling up real close) You are? (lays a hand on his chest) Are you okay?

She tugs at his shirt and then walks away. He's following her with his eyes. She stops after a couple of steps and gives him the 'come-hither' look. He catches a clue then downs the rest of his beer.

At the Cohen house. Ryan and Marissa are sitting on the side of the pool (on the ledge).

Marissa: Mmm. That was the best grilled cheese ever. (wipes her hands on a napkin)

Ryan: Yeah. Well, your mac and cheese was pretty good too.

Marissa: (laughing) Yeah. Well, it tasted better last night.

Ryan pretends to be hurt. They both laugh. Ryan kicks a beach ball in the water and splashes Marissa slightly.

Ryan: Yeah!

Marissa: Hey!

Ryan splashes her leg. They both laugh.

Ryan: But then, hey, we're hanging out, right?

Marissa: Yeah. I'm glad. We are.

Ryan: So, how are you? With everything.

Marissa: I'm okay, I guess. I mean, I still don't know what's going to happen. My parents are fighting all the time. My family's not perfect - not even close - but... I just... don't want us to fall apart.

They both fall silent.

Ryan then gets up.

Ryan: Let's do something fun. You still have fun, right?

Marissa: I don't know.

Ryan: (leaning up behind her and whispering) What if you don't have a choice?

Marissa: (laughing) What does that mean?

He grabs her as if he's going to dump her in the water.

Marissa: (giggling) No, no! Stop! (he lets her go, she's still laughing) Okay.

He picks up their plates and sets them a little ways off. She comes up behind him, still laughing, and tries to push him.

Ryan: I'm taking you with me.

They both land in the water. She squeals. They're both laughing, playing in the water. Dunking and splashing each other. They have a 'moment' in the water.

At Holly's party. Seth picks up a bottle of beer and opens it. Just as he's taking a sip, Donnie is scouting the party and walks by Summer, with interest.

Donnie: (to Summer) What's up, girl? You don't like to dance. (gets up in Summer's space)

Summer: (backing away slightly) Not with you.

She tries to walk away, but Donnie cuts her off.

Summer: (unimpressed) I'm trying to get to the bar?

She walks around him, but he follows her closely.

Donnie: You look fine, you know that?

Summer: Good one! But aren't you... like... (to some other people) the busboy? (the other people laugh) Eww. Random.

Donnie: (to one of the guys laughing) What's up? Somebody got a problem?

Seth: (comes up to Donnie) Hey. Hey. What's going on?

Donnie: (looking pissed off) Yo, these kids are mad dogging me.

Seth: You know, why don't we go? I'm ready.

Donnie: No, I'm ready. (shows him a g*n tucked into the waist of his jeans) Yeah, what - that's what I'm saying. (pats Seth on the chest) Life is what you make it.

Donnie grabs a beer and saunters away. Seth looks scared/worried.

At the Cohen house. Marissa is dripping just inside the pool house.

Marissa: (laughing, but hugging herself) Hurry up! I'm freezing.

Ryan is wet too. He grabs two towels and walks over to her.

Ryan: You've got goose bumps.

Marissa: I know! Towel.

Ryan wraps one of the towels around her. He's rubbing her arms, trying to warm her up.

Ryan: Want a sweatshirt?

They are standing very close.

Marissa: Now can I borrow one of your t*nk tops so I can look as cool as you?

Ryan: Oh yeah? (grabs the towel around her and pulls her close so that their foreheads are touching) You want to go back in the pool?

She giggles. Then they both turn serious as they have another moment. Just when you think they're about to kiss, the phone rings.

Marissa: Do you have to?

Ryan: Uh. (looks torn for a moment) One second.

Ryan goes to answer the phone.

Ryan: (sighs) Hello?

Seth is at the party, on a cell phone.

Seth: Hey, it's Seth. Your friend Donnie's kind of a psycho.

Ryan: Uh. Okay. Not really a good time right now.

Seth: Yeah, dude, trust me, I wouldn't be calling up if it wasn't serious. (Donnie and his friends are fooling around in the kitchen) Just take my dad's car and meet me at Holly's.

Ryan: (considers this for a moment while looking at Marissa) I'll be right there. (hangs up and turns back to Marissa) Okay. So, that was Seth. Uh, I got to go pick him up. He's at Holly's if you want -

Marissa: (shaking her head) I can't go there.

Ryan: Right. Okay. So, uh... (walking back to her) Sorry, I...

Marissa: (shaking her head) No. It's okay.

She gives him back the towel, then leaves.

At Holly's party. Holly and Luke are getting hot and heavy in a bedroom upstairs from the party. He's trying to undo her top but without much success.

Luke: You have any idea how long I've wanted to do this?

Holly: As long as I have? (kissing) Oh, you guys should have broken up a long time ago.

Downstairs, Donnie and his friends are having a food fight in the kitchen.

Donnie: (to his friend) Chill. Chill! Seriously, relax. (to Seth) What's up, bro? (slaps Seth's hand) You want a drink, man?

Seth: No, no, no, no. (watches as Donnie attempts to make a drink)

Donnie: You sure. It's - It's vodka. It's very good. I'll do this fli -

He tries to flip the bottle but it lands right in front of Seth's feet instead.

Upstairs, Holly stops at the sound of breaking glass.

Holly: That sounded expensive. Come on.

She gets up. Luke is completely baffled.

Luke: You go. (rubs his eyes with his fingers) I'll, uh, I'm right behind you. (thumps the bed in frustration, but follows her)

Holly walks down and Summer is standing at the bottom of the stairs. They exchange glances. Just then, Donnie's arm connects with a glass blender and falls to the ground, breaking.

Holly: That's my blender!

Donnie: (seeing Luke walk down the stairs) Yo! Check it out! It's Abercrombie! Or - or are you Fitch?

Luke: Jackass. What's your problem?

Donnie: You.

They walk up threateningly to each other. Seth steps in and stops Luke.

Seth: Uh, er, Luke. You really don't want to -

Luke: (pushing Seth away angrily) Shut up, Cohen! How did you get in here anyway? (standing directly in front of Donnie) Look, I don't know who you are, but you best be leaving.

Donnie: Or what? What you going to do to me? (lunges forward threateningly) What? You afraid I'm going to mess up your hair?

Ryan: (rushing in) Donnie! What's up?

Donnie: Hey, what's up, Ryan? (They clasp hands in greeting)

Luke: Should have figured this chump was a friend of yours. Why don't you just take him back to the trailer park?

Seth: (grabbing Ryan) We should go.

Donnie: What did you say to me? (gets up in Luke's face)

Luke: All right. (shoves Donnie hard) Let's go!

Ryan: (steps in to stop Luke) Hey, hey!

Donnie: You're done! (whips out his g*n, people scream and flee the room) What's up now? Who's the tough guy now? How much do you hate this kid, Ryan? The way he talks to you like you're trash. What about you, Seth?

Seth: (putting an arm out to 'protect' Summer) Yeah, he's definitely flawed.

Luke: I'm - I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

Donnie: Oh. Look at the role reversal now. Huh. Who's the bitch, huh?

Ryan: You scared him. Put it down, all right?

Donnie: (to Ryan) Man, I'm just trying to have a good time. You know what I'm saying? Trying to have fun at this party. (to his friends) Yo, you boys having fun?

Ryan lunges for the g*n. They're struggling. The g*n falls to the ground and goes off.

Donnie: What's the matter with you, man? I was just messing around.

Summer screams. Luke is on the ground, his arm is bleeding.

Summer: Oh my God!

One of Donnie's friends: Yo, yo, we got to go. Let's go.

Donnie and his friends leave.

Summer: (rushes over to Luke) Oh my God. (to everyone else) Call an ambulance!

Ryan: (crouches down and tries to help stop the blood flow; whispers) You're going to be okay.

Summer: Somebody!

In the background, they're talking about calling 911 and finding the phone.

SCENE 25

A limo pulls up. Inside are Tina, Kirsten and Julie.

Tina: I guess this is me. Well, thanks for a relaxing weekend, ladies. I'm off to fire my cleaning lady. (everyone looks uncomfortable) Okay. See you at spinning.

Kirsten: Bye, Tina.

Tina leaves. Julie and Kirsten sit uncomfortably at opposite ends of the seat. Kirsten stares out the window.

Julie: (clears her throat) Is it warm in here? (turning on the intercom) Could you turn the air on, please?

Kirsten: I'm sorry if I upset you. It wasn't my place.

Julie nods. Kirsten looks back out the window.

Julie: (looking straight ahead) I remember as a kid if I saw a limousine driving, I always tried to see through the tinted window, wondering what kind of life the people inside lived. How glamorous looking. Who knew, right? (pauses) You knew. You were probably in there staring back at me. Which means I've been jealous of you since I was eight. When I met Jimmy, I had nothing, no money. I don't want to go back to being nothing again.

Kirsten: You won't. You have a family. You have Jimmy. He loves you.

Julie: (turning to Kirsten) Not as much as he loved you. (Kirsten doesn't know what to say) But I knew that when I married him. I was winning the lottery. Great guy, great life. And he was doing the honourable thing.

Kirsten: It's your turn Julie. Don't abandon him.

SCENE 26

At the hospital. Seth is talking to a cop. Ryan is on the phone.

Ryan: Hey. It's me. Yeah, no, uhm. I'm sorry. I'm - I'm at the hospital. No, everything - everything's fine. But, uhm, I think you're going to want to get down here.

At the Cohen house. Sandy is in the kitchen, washin