01x19 - The Heartbreak

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x19 - The Heartbreak

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Cohen kitchen - Sandy goes to the cupboard and takes out a glass, he then goes to the fridge takes the juice out of the fridge and as he closes the fridge door we see Kirsten standing in her PJ's with a big red bow an arrow (Cupids arrow) she sh**t him in the face with it, and Sandy isn't impressed.

Kirsten: (sh**t arrow) ooooh (laughs, excited) Happy Valentines Day someone just got struck by Cupids arrow (kisses him on the cheek) mwa (Sandy is emotionless) Happy Valentines day

Sandy: (bends down & picks up the arrow) Valentines Days not till tomorrow sweetie (hands Kirsten the arrow)

Kirsten: (disappointed) you're not excited

Sandy: I am, I am I'm just uh (sighs) still thinkin about Oliver with that g*n (pours himself a juice)

Kirsten: yeah I know

Sandy: who knows what coulda happened

Kirsten: but it didn't an Dr Kim lifted Ryan's suspension so the best thing for everyone is for everything to return to normal (dramatic) an in this house that means celebrating the holidays

Sandy: Valentines days not a holiday (Kirsten looks at him) Rosh Hashanah that's a holiday memorial day yes a holiday, you know who invented Valentines Day

Kirsten: Saint Valentine

Sandy: Hershey's an Hallmark, if your single it's designed ta make ya depressed if your lucky enough to be in love start shellin out, chocolate flowers lingerie

Kirsten: you never bought me lingerie

Sandy: an see how upset you are! I hate this holiday

(Seth comes in)

Seth: dad must be talkin about Valentines Day

Sandy: I am indeed, I hate the holiday

(Kirsten sh**t Seth with 'Cupids arrow')

Seth: (with little enthusiasm) hey...you got me (makes cutesy face)

Kirsten: (excited) guess who jus got sh*t by Cupids arrow (raises her eyebrows for emphasis)

Seth: Is someone going overboard with this holiday (gives arrow back)

Kirsten: oh like your one to talk, Chrismukkah anyone

Sandy: well...at least that's a real holiday

Seth: (hits Sandy on the arm) tell her dad (points) it's two

Kirsten: Seth made that word up when he was six

(they are all talking over each other so this is the best I could do)

Sandy: its one'a the most important things in the (?) Christian calendar, festival of lights, birth of Jesus

Kirsten: this is an important holiday, its Valentines Day

Seth: where Jewishness fuses with Christianity ok

Sandy: do the math

(they all go quiet because Ryan has come in, he goes to the cupboard and gets the cereal out)

Sandy: how ya doin kid?

Ryan: uh y'know ok I guess

Kirsten: well your about to be great because tomorrow is the (emphasis) big Valentines Day singles gala, the benefit for Newport memorials heart department (excited) big party, you guys are gonna dress up (Sandy & Seth don't look happy) everyone's gonna be there... (smiles) jus like normal...huh...yessss (Ryan doesn't look happy either) (Sandy & Seth just stand there) I'm gonna go...

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Harbor School - we hear the bell go then we see Ryan walking in the halls, Marissa is behind him

Marissa: (smiles) Ryan, hey

Ryan: hey

(Marissa's goes to kiss him but Ryan moves his head so that they hug instead)

Marissa: um...were you able ta sleep at all

Ryan: not much

Marissa: me either I jus kept going over everything in my head

Ryan: yeah, yeah well he's in the hospital so hopefully he'll get better

Marissa: (nods) I hope so...cause I'm ready for everything ta just go back to normal...the way it was (Ryan doesn't say anything) (cheery) right so uh Valentines Day, tomorrow

Ryan: yeah, ah-huh

Marissa: what we're you gonna do (unsure) cause I didn't know if you wanted to...

Ryan: yeah no uh Kirsten's hosting this singles dance

Marissa: for the hospital

Ryan: I-I told her I'd go (unsure) cause I didn't know if you...

Marissa: of course...right well then uh ill go to (Ryan nods) (playfully touches him) who knows maybe we'll uh meet somebody there

Ryan: (sort of laughs) yeah, who knows (smiles) (bell goes) alright I should-I should get ta (motions down the hall)

Marissa: yep no, me too

(they both stand there quiet for a little bit, Ryan walks one way and Marissa walks the other, they both frown as they are walking off)

CUT TO: Student lounge - Summer is playing a video game (as in the pacman type) and Seth comes in

Seth: hey Summer

Summer: god Cohen you made me mess up, I'm going for the high score

Seth: hey...it's good to see ya too...um tomorrows Valentines Day

Summer: (sarcastic) oh really god you know, I didn't know tomorrow was Valentines Day, but hey thanks for reminding me (pushes the buttons harder) have fun with Anna!

Seth: Anna's in Pittsburgh for the weekend

Summer: on Valentines Day, hey now that's commitment

Seth: actually Anna an I broke up (Summer stops playing) an I jus I wanted to see what you were doing maybe tomorrow

Summer: ah-huh (walks to the food/drink bit) so you guys broke up

Seth: (follows) yeah

Summer: and (to person serving) coffee (to Seth) your single now an you wanna know what I'm doing for Valentines Day

Seth: yep

Summer: mm so Anna dumps you an you think you can choose me...and I'd still be interested in you

Seth: ok first of all what makes you think that Anna dumped me (Summer looks at him) never mind second of all...kind of...yes

Summer: yeah...no, no way, I'm not gonna be your sloppy seconds ass face, b'sides I'm busy tomorrow I'll be at the singles dance

Seth: oh hey whadda y'know so will I

Summer: I don't care

Seth: great ill see you there

Summer: no if I see you first

Seth: ok, hopefully we'll both meet someone special

Summer: oh yeah maybe, as long as his name isn't Cohen! (walks away)

Seth: oh, oh snap (makes motion with his fingers for emphasis) (shakes his head)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Kirsten is in there working and Sandy comes in

Sandy: I'm sorry I'm late, crusading for the rich an dysfunctional is extremely time consuming

Kirsten: uh let me jus dot my I's an cross my T's

Sandy: (complaining) oh c'mon I'm starvin I've ben thinkin about nothin but crab cakes for the last hour

Kirsten: are-are you gonna be around tomorrow ta help with the set up

Sandy: for what

Kirsten: for the Valentines Day single dance gala thing

Sandy: oh no I-I cant do it sweetie (Kirsten looks at him) I got this petty nuisance law suit infact I-I'm pretty booked this weekend so...I might be a little late to the Valentines Day dance singles gala singles

Kirsten: (correcting) singles dance gala, why? we said we were gonna go together

Sandy: its restaurant stuff, we got the zoning inspectors comin by before we can expand the deck

Kirsten: on Saturday

Sandy: I guess these city council guys are really busy

Kirsten: no, I forbid it

Sandy: (shocked) you what?

Kirsten: with whatever wifely authority I have vested in me on this most holy an romantic of days, no

Sandy: it's only a holiday, its not even a real holiday

Kirsten: not this again (shakes her head) not on an empty stomach (gets up from her desk)

Sandy: how bout Arbor Day, trees that's a good cause or secretary's day or how bout our anniversary

Kirsten: (upset) which we might not make it to!

Sandy: come on you know your gonna have so much more fun there without me

Kirsten: no, you're going! Sandy this is important ta me

Sandy: y'know there's alotta things that are important ta me that you don't do

Kirsten: like what?

Sandy: like golfing lots'a couples golf together

Kirsten: shortly before dying of old age

Sandy: surfing! how many times have I tried'ta get you in the ocean

Kirsten: with the fish ugh

Sandy: an still I'm patient, I'm forgiving

Kirsten: you're joking!

Sandy: I patiently put up with your father!

Kirsten: (sarcastic) you're eligible for saint hood any day now!

Sandy: I forgive your snoring

Kirsten: (getting angry) (yells) I - do not - snore

Sandy: oh yeah, you do, like a freight train roarin through the house

Kirsten: you wanted to do this restaurant I supported you, you wanted to go into private practice who had your back?

Sandy: I put up with your father!

Kirsten: (complaining) you never wanna do anything that I like! (angry) everything's a fight, everything's an argument, my life, my job

Sandy: yeah, yeah yeah an I'm still here

Kirsten: (yells) don't do me any favors

Sandy: (yells) I won't

Kirsten: (yells) fine

Sandy: (yells) perfect (confused) w-what're we fighting about

Kirsten: (packing up) I am not sure, but its serious (picks up her things) you're on your own for lunch (leaves)

Sandy: (with attitude) Happy Valentines Day

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - Marissa is lying on the couch reading and Jimmy comes in the door

Jimmy: hey, kiddo (shuts the door) the glasser came ta the restaurant today, made a total mess, but progress is being made, how was school (kisses her on the forehead)

Marissa: (smiles) mm, ok

Jimmy: yeah

Marissa: hey you got something (sits up and gets it) it was left for you at the door (hands him a red heart shaped box)

Jimmy: hmm (puts it to his ear) well its not ticking so...it can't be from your mom (reads the card) hope your not too lonely this Valentines Day (frowns) x o x o your secret admirer, Marissa your so sweet, you didn't have'ta do that

Marissa: I didn't

Jimmy: (confused) well...who else woulda left something...nice

Marissa: that is a good question, but this year I'm doing my best to avoid Valentines Day completely

Jimmy: what you an Ryan are...

Marissa: I...don't really wanna talk about it...an neither does he

Jimmy: hm well, it is Valentines Day, sometimes the big romantic gesture is more effective then talking (sighs) (Marissa thinks) (takes the lid off the box) ooh, there's no way your mom gave me these right (offers Marissa one) no she doesn't make her distain for me a secret much less her admiration

Marissa: well have you kissed anyone recently (eats cookie)

(Jimmy doesn't say anything, but he looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Summer's bedroom - Summer is lying on her bed watching The Valley. there's a knock at the door

Summer: (yells) I'm busy...studying...naked

Seth: was that suppose'ta keep me away?

Summer: (unsure) Cohen? (gets off the bed) (opens the door) you're at my house

Seth: an you are dressed I wonder who's more disappointed (pokes his head in) um can I come in?

Summer: no

Seth: thanks (walks in)

Summer: uh (shrugs) what're you doing here

Seth: (picks up a 'my little pony' off her table) who is this?

Summer: no one

Seth: (girly voice, moves the pony) I'm not no one

Summer: (gives in) princess sparkle, what'do you want

Seth: I think she's just Captain Oat's type

Summer: well you tell (snatches the pony from him) him ta keep his hooves off! (yells) an as for you!

Seth: wait-wait before you kick me out can ya jus, please give me a second to explain (Summer folds her arms) ok listen Summer...its not like...like now that me an Anna broke up I'm now choosing you, ok (Summer rolls her eyes) cause the whole reason that we broke up...is cause for me...(sincerely) its always ben you Summer (Summer's expression softens) its always ben you...an I've tried'a fight it an I've tried ta deny it an I cant, I cant do it...your undeniable

(Summer kisses him and pushes him onto her bed. she sits up and takes her jacket off then kisses him again. they are heavily making out)

Summer: Cohen (heavy breathing)

Seth: yeah

Summer: do you happen (kisses him) to have...you know...

Seth: oh (kisses her) yeah I do (kisses her) in my wallet

Summer: yeah

Seth: I was beginning to view it as a uh sort of a rabbits foot for good luck only but that's-

Summer: (covers his mouth with her hand) (softly) your about ta get lucky (kisses him)

(Summer sits up and takes her singlet/t*nk top off, Seth is on his elbows just watching her in awe, and her hair falls on her bare shoulders)

Seth: whatever you say Summer, yes...yes

(Summer smiles and her head disappears from the sh*t)

CUT TO: Beautiful sh*ts of the sun setting on Newport, then we are at Julie's house, its now night - Julie answers the door and Luke is there

Julie: (suprised) Luke, hi

Luke: (smiles) hi Mrs. Cooper

Julie: what're you doing here?

Luke: uh w (laughs) d-d-did you know I-I was wondering did-did Marissa bring her bio text book home

Julie: Marissa doesn't live here anymore Luke, you know that

Luke: right... (nods head) I musta forgot

Julie ah-huh right ok well, goodnight

Luke: uh tomorrow um is the Valentines Day party (looks down) I w- are you gonna go...cause I'm gonna go an I thought if you needed a ride...

Julie: uh actually, everything that's happened with Caleb an me I think its best I stay home, avoid this holiday

Luke: yeah, it's just another day of the week right (Julie raises her eyebrows) ok um goodnight Mrs. Cooper

Julie: goodnight

(Luke walks off, shaking his head. Julie watches him walk away, smiling)

CUT TO: Summer's bedroom - Summer and Seth are lying on her bed next to each other, under the sheet. Seth is holding the sheet to cover his chest, Summer has hers covering her chest with both hands resting on to. we are seeing them from above the bed, they both look awkward/not sure. definitely not anything you'd expect

Seth: so...that was sex

Summer: yep

Seth: I'm gonna go...

Summer: (frowns) me too

Seth: but you live here

Summer: I meant down stairs

Seth: oh ok

Summer: perfect

(Summer pulls the sheet to go with her as she gets up, this pulls what Seth had off him, we see him completely naked from only just above his waist. he has his hands clasped together on his chest. he looks down then grabs Summers pillow and puts it just below his chest. he sits up holding the pillow there then gets off the bed but we don't see anything passed him on the side of the bed, he just disappears out of the sh*t after that)

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan is sitting on his bed studying, Marissa knocks then walks in.

Ryan: hi

(Marissa doesn't say anything, she is holding a single red rose and walks over to him, smiling. when Marissa reaches

Ryan he is almost standing, she kisses him, breathing heavily and pushes him back on the bed. she continues kissing him. Ryan looks shocked)

Marissa: (undoes the buttons on his shirt) I love you so much (she sits up and takes her top off so she's just in her singlet/t*nk top) we've waited a long time to (kisses him) mmm (smiles) you know (Ryan doesn't look happy) (unbuttons more buttons) an I thought maybe we could start Valentines Day early (kisses him) mm

(she runs her hand down his top, to the waist of his pants, Ryan stops her)

Ryan: (stops kissing) mm no wait, wait hold on

Marissa: (gets off him a bit) what, don't you wann'to

Ryan: no (Marissa sits down on the bed, hurt)

Ryan: (frowning) no I mean yeah (sits up) yeah of course but uh, with everything that's happened it just uh (sighs) it jus seems a little soon

Marissa: (closes her eyes) I jus wish it hadn't happened, that we could still be like we were (Ryan doesn't say anything) an I just wanted ta make it up to you

Ryan: you don't have ta...do this

Marissa: (embarrassed) (stands up) no your right (picks up her top) so um I guess ill uh...go...cause this is just really-

Ryan: wrong

Marissa: (putting her top on) I was gonna say embarrassing but I guess...wrong works...so it was nice ta see you an I guess ill uh...see you again...tomorrow (leaves)

(Ryan sits there)

CUT TO: The pool house the next morning - Ryan is sitting on the bed, Seth comes in

Seth: hey buddy, got some big news

Ryan: yeah I was just about to head over, set up for the party aren't you comin

Seth: yeah that's a whole lotta lifting, it's not really my thing (excited) an I don't know if I jus mentioned this but I have - some - big - news

Ryan: yeah so I heard (stands) what's up

Seth: well Ryan (puts his hands in the air) I'm a man, an not just like an after your Bahmitzva man but a man man (Ryan looks at him) (puts his fist in the air) I had SEX with a girl, Summer to be more specific

Ryan: (impressed) how was it

Seth: (whispers) I had sex

Ryan: that bad (walking)

Seth: (follows him) no - not that bad, it was...just kinda weird

Ryan: weird

Seth: yeah but not kinky weird more like weird awkward (Ryan frowns) but hey you know what it was my first time she's a more experienced woman that's to be expected, an I did (nods)...make some faces in the middle that I wish that (laughs) I could uh take back but I cant and there's also sort of a whiney noise that came out towards the end (Ryan looks at him with a T.M.I expression) that uh that probably wasn't my finest hour. an I sucked SO-BAD. I was like a fish floppin around on dry land. Ryan I was Nemo an I just wanted ta go home

Ryan: well don't worry about it you'll get another chance

Seth: yeah that's the thing though I'm not sure that I will, the situation with Summer's murkier now then it was before the awful fish - sex

Ryan: I wouldn't refer to it as fish sex ever again

Seth: that's a good point, that's somethin that I was hopin to get a little bit more of uh tips, tricks of the trade, I think Summers use'ta drivin a higher performance vehicle

Ryan: yeah I don't know if I'm the guy ta talk to about romance these days

Seth: why, what's up

Ryan: me an Marissa its-its definitely different now post Oliver

Seth: yeah, you wanna talk about it

Ryan: nah I should get over to set up

Seth: hey so do ya have any tips or words'a wisdom for me

Ryan: do it again (leaves)

Seth: that's...what I was afraid of

CUT TO: The Beach - Marissa and Summer are sun baking and talking

Marissa: an then we both jus decided to wait because you know we were really tired, well you know how it goes

Summer: ...I wish we had waited

Marissa: what? who

Summer: me an Cohen...we had sex

Marissa: (shocked) wait, what! you guys did what (Summer waves it off) I've ben with you an hour how did this not come up

Summer: I must've forgotten

Marissa: (sighs) ok so I lied (Summer looks at her) things last night with Ryan went terribly, I think he hates me

Summer: he doesn't hate you

Marissa: he turned down sex

Summer: you might be onto something (Marissa looks sad) hey you can't b*at yourself up over it, no one knew that Oliver was gonna turn out to be such a looney tune

Marissa: except Ryan an I didn't listen (Summer sighs) I don't know (shrugs) maybe we jus weren't meant to be together

Summer: maybe we were jus chasing after the wrong boys

(they both look at each other)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten is working on decorations for the singles dance. Sandy comes in

Sandy: (cheery) hellooo

(Kirsten doesn't acknowledge him, nor stop what she is doing. Sandy goes to the fridge and takes out some meat, he stands there eating it and watching her)

Sandy: so how long will this continue

Kirsten: you ruined - my favourite holiday so, until Valentines Day is over we have nothing to talk about

(Seth comes in from outside)

Sandy: alright

Seth: hey dad're you busy

Sandy: I'm just enjoying your mothers company

Seth: awesome I need'a talk to you

Sandy: what's goin on?

Seth: nothin just need'a talk to you uh...girl stuff

Sandy: well...you've come to the master (Kirsten laughs) hey I got you

Kirsten: I was young, impressionable an drunk

Seth: (puts his hand up) only child right here (door bell)

Kirsten: ill get it, I need a little fresh air

Seth: well I never thought that I would have'ta... (swallows) say this but I think that we...need ta have (softer) the talk

Sandy: (shocked) now?

Seth: (nods) it's gonna be as hard for me as it is for you

(Kirsten answering the door, it's Jimmy)

Jimmy: hey

Kirsten: hey

Jimmy: Happy Valentines Day (hands her the cookie things from before)

Kirsten: (gasps) that's what I like a little holiday spirit around here (smiles) thanks

Jimmy: sure

Kirsten: mm I love these, you know what there called forgotten kisses an you know who use'ta make these, Hailey

Jimmy: Hailey

Kirsten: mm-hmm (eats one)

Jimmy: huh, an how's she doin? you heard from her at all

Kirsten: ah no an I don't expect I will (sits on the couch) cause when she left she left angry (Jimmy frowns) an who knows she's probably in South East Asia or New York

Jimmy: quite the...globe trotter

Kirsten: (eating) sometimes, one time we thought she was in

London an it turned out that she was on her friends boat jus down here in the Harbor

Jimmy: (thinking) boat huh

Kirsten: mm-hmm

CUT TO: Dining room table - Sandy and Seth are sitting opposite each other

Sandy: wow, well di-did you uh (Seth cringes) you know did you...wear uh-...protection

Seth: (cringes and covers his ears) (eyes closed) oh my god yes (Sandy nods, relieved) oh my god yes, I don't believe you just asked me that

Sandy: well I'm sorry but I had to, it's so good that ya did, if your gonna have sex ya gotta be responsible

Seth: (slowly uncovers his ears) yes responsible an (opens his eyes) awkward

Sandy: oh (waves it off) well that's ta be expected

Seth: (relieved) it is

Sandy: yeah

Seth: see that's what I thought

Sandy: hey listen, you were lucky ta be able'ta hang in there after all that foreplay

Seth: (confused) fore-what now?

Sandy: fore-play (Seth shakes his head) oh uh yeah you know uh m-massaging y'know or um...you know nibbling the neck. look here's the point, just cause you're ready to go it doesn't mean she is

Seth: I'm always ready ta go

Sandy: well you're my son, we Cohen's are very sexual beings

Seth: (cringes) oh, my god

Sandy: virile, get used to it

Seth: just disgusting...foreplay huh?

Sandy: oh I'm tellin ya, the appetiser is as good as the main course

Seth: (swallows) jus swallowed a little bit of throw up, well I'm gonna pretend we never had this conversation but...thanks dad (gets up)

Sandy: hey Seth Seth, so you don't mind my askin who'd you uh...who'd ya sleep with, I mean you got so many girls these days (Seth moves his head) Summer? (Seth raises his eyebrows) oooh you dog you (Seth looks at him, Sandy smiles)
CUT TO: The singles dance gala - Ryan and Luke are there helping set up

Luke: so man, how's everything with you an Marissa, is she comin to the party tonight

Ryan: I don't know, fifty fifty

Luke: (nods) w-what about her mom, do'ya think she's comin'a night

Ryan: I have no idea (frowns)

Luke: (laughs) I was jus tryin'a get a head count for the event (leaves)

(Ryan stands there frowning, he walks away and runs into a caterer who has a crate covering her face)

Ryan: whoa, whoa hey sorry

Theresa: Ryan (smiles)

Ryan: (shocked) Theresa uh what are- uh Hi

Theresa: you always had a way with words

Ryan: (smiles) are you uh you workin here

Theresa: yeah I figured what better way to celebrate Valentines Day then serve pâté to a bunch of rich people (Ryan doesn't say anything)

Theresa: oh, these are your friends an neighbours, sorry

Ryan: (smiles) its good to see you

(they both look at each other, smiling)

CUT TO: Summer's bedroom - Summer is lying on her bed listening to CD's. there's a knock at her door, Seth walks in

Summer: Cohen, what're you doing?

Seth: I need'a talk to you (sits next to her on the bed) about what happened, you remember the...sex

Summer: (frowns) I'm tryin'a forget

Seth: right, right that's actually why I'm here, see I feel you didn't get your moneys worth last night

Summer: if you make a bang for your buck joke right now you're gone

Seth: no jokes, there should be nothin funny about...what goes on right here

Summer: (confused) you want another sh*t?

Seth: that's what I'm saying

(Seth kisses her, he pulls back, hopeful)

Summer: pretty good, not as slobbery as (laughs) yesterday

(Summer goes to kiss him and he moves behind her and massages her shoulders)

Seth: oooh, oooh a little tense, a little tense sshhh

Summer: ow, ow what're you, what's up with the Vulcan nerve pinch

Seth: (kisses the back of her head) a little massage

(he pulls her hair away from her neck and begins to kiss up her neck)

Summer: ok no your (laughs) totally tickling me stop

Seth: shhhh (Summer elbows him in the stomach)

Summer: stop (realises what she did)

Seth: (winded) I'm stopping, I'm stopping (he blows in her hair)

Summer: (turns around to face him) ok what the hell are you doing!

Seth: its just a little something that I like ta call foreplay

Summer: (grabs him) no uh-uh (pushes him on the bed and sits on top of him)

Seth: ugh I knew not to listen'a my dad (Summer unzips her jacket & takes it off) not that I listen to my dad cause I would never talk about that stuff with him y'know what I'm sayin I maybe-

Summer: (takes off her bikini top) no more talking, Cohen

Seth: whatever you say Summer

(Summer smiles)

CUT TO: The singles dance - Ryan and Theresa are sitting outside on the steps talking

Ryan: (sighs) so now he's in the hospital, he could be there a while

Theresa: wow, that's unbelievable, no wonder you're so pissed off

Ryan: ah I'm not

Theresa: sure you are, I'd be (Ryan looks at her) your best friend didn't believe you, the people you live with didn't listen to you an your girlfriend didn't trust you

Ryan: when you put it that way

Theresa: sorry, it's none of my business

Ryan: no, no it feels good ta talk about it, I haven't really with anyone else (Theresa nods & smiles)

(Marissa comes out and sees Ryan, but not Theresa)

Marissa: hey Luke didn't know if you'd

(they both stand, revealing Theresa is there as well)

Theresa: hi Marissa, Theresa, thanksgiving we

Marissa: uh yeah, yeah no I remember

Theresa: I'm helping cater the event

Ryan: she's a caterer (nods)

Marissa: oh well that's really great um so I guess ill just talk to you tonight (shrugs) you'll be here?

Ryan: yeah

Marissa: (to Theresa) an so will you

Theresa: (smiles) yeah

Marissa: ok bye (goes to go back inside)

Theresa: I should get back to

Ryan: yeah, see ya tonight

(Marissa opens the door for a guy coming out, Theresa is now at the door wanting to go in as well. Marissa motions for Theresa to go first, Theresa motions for Marissa to go, they both decide to accept the others offer and end up trying to get through at once)

Marissa: sorry (walks off to the right)

(Theresa goes off to the left and Ryan watches, cringing, then he raises his eyebrows)

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan is fixing his tie in the mirror and Seth comes in

Seth: (sighs) one day when I'm reflecting back on my life (sits in the chair) I think I'm gonna remember these chats before the big events as my favourite times

Ryan: what's this one about (Seth rubs his eye & squints what'did you do to your eye

Seth: mm it's just a little bit blurry, Summer poked me in it with her big toe

Ryan: what, why (sits on the bed)

Seth: I don't know man it was an accident there were limbs everywhere, I'm lucky I can still see

Ryan: so you guys did the deed again

Seth: technically yes, but it wasn't pretty I think I suffered a spinal injury to (moves his back)

Ryan: maybe next time you should wear a helmet, mouth guard

Seth: I don't think there's gonna be a next time, not after this latest debacle I think it might be over, an what sucks about that though is that I know I have so much more ta give

Ryan: (looks at him) I don't need ta know that

Seth: fair enough, what about you, you wanna skip the event

Ryan: nah I would but there's someone there I wanna see (Seth looks at him) just...an old friend

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - Marissa and Summer are getting ready

Summer: hey if you wanna skip it I would be more then happy to believe me

Marissa: (sighs) I don't wanna go either

Summer: (excited) great!

Marissa: but I have to, Ryan's ex is gonna be there, she's a caterer tonight

Summer: an you want to what? spy

Marissa: not exactly (Summer folds her arms) yes, look I don't know Sum (sits down) I don't know what's going on between us, an now this girl is gonna be there

Summer: hug? (limps over to her)

Marissa: are you limping

Summer: yeah, Cohen kneed me in the leg

Marissa: why? (hugs Summer)

Summer: (frowns) he...must've read it in the karma sutra

Marissa: ah, so you guys had sex again

Summer: if you can call it that, there were like limbs...everywhere... (frowns) love hurts

Marissa: yeah tell me about it

CUT TO: The dock - Jimmy is looking for Hailey's friend's boat

Jimmy: um

Girl: are you a cop?

Jimmy: am I- no uh no I'm jus looking for someone who's um who's staying here

(Hailey comes out)

Hailey: Jimmy

Jimmy: (smiles) hey...Hailey

(Girl goes back inside)

Jimmy: ok, interesting company you keep there

Hailey: (smiles) you tracked me down, I'm impressed

Jimmy: well look those cookies...were so good that I couldn't let you leave without giving me the recipe, I mean there definitely gonna be on the menu at my-my new restaurant

Hailey: (curious) your new restaurant

Jimmy: yeah, as a matter'a fact I was wondering if you-if you wanted to be the...the first customer I'm y'know sorta experimenting with some dishes an I thought maybe y'know you could be the guinea pig (raises eyebrows)

Hailey: (laughs) ok, let me go get changed (smiles) an ill be right back

(Jimmy smiles and waits)

CUT TO: The V Day singles dance gala - Sandy is talking to a group of men, he finishes talking to them and sees Kirsten, he smiles but she looks away, he keeps walking to where Seth and Ryan are standing

Sandy: hey, if I teach you guy's anything, don't ever get married

Ryan: I've heard that from you before

Sandy: oh you'll hear it again...ill be at the bar (walks off)

Seth: no sign of our opponents

Ryan: yeah, you ready ta go?

Seth: yeah, since before we got here

(Theresa walks up with hors d'oeuvres)

Theresa: hi guys

Seth: hi there

Theresa: want some'a this uh...actually (laughs) I have no idea what this is

Seth: odds are mushroom leek crescent, crab an brie phyllo (Theresa nods) it usually is

Ryan: Seth this is my friend Theresa (Seth looks at him, Ryan nods)

Seth: (smiles) oh, this is your friend (to Theresa) Theresa, hi how are you...so I'm gonna go with

(we pan up to Marissa and Summer watching them from above)

Marissa: that's her

Summer: that's her? she's hot! (Marissa looks at her) for Chino

Marissa: no she is, she's beautiful...an nice...an smart an funny an did I mention they've ben friends forever

Summer: only a few times

Marissa: they did musicals together, an went to the winter dance

Summer: (suprised) Ryan did musicals?

Marissa: she was peppermint patty... (sad) Ryan was snoopy

(Summer sighs and looks at Marissa, concerned)

(Theresa walks past Kirsten and Julie, with the hors d'oeuvres. they are both unhappy)

Julie: (sighs) god I hate Valentines Day

Kirsten: I don't know why we celebrate anything around here (looks at Julie) my dad didn't show up huh

Julie: nope, so I'm gonna go home an run a warm bath an either slit my wrists or drink a bottle of wine

Kirsten: wine, definitely (drinks hers)

Julie: good thing Kaitlin's at a sleep over, ill be blasting Bob Segar tonight

Kirsten: (smiles) we'll keep our windows closed (Julie smiles)

Julie: bye (walks off)

Kirsten: bye

(the camera pans to show Luke standing on the stairs watching Julie walk off. we then pan to show Ryan looking bored, he goes out of focus and in the background we see Marissa looking for him, she walks over to him and smiles, he smiles back)

Marissa: can we just...start over

Ryan: start over... (smiles)

Marissa: (puts her hand out) hi I'm Marissa, you go to Harbor right

Ryan: (stands) I know what your trying to do and...I cant (Marissa looks upset) I'm sorry (walks away)

(Marissa closes her eyes and sits down. the camera pans to Ryan rushing out, he goes past Summer who is standing by herself. Seth comes over)

Seth: um can I-can I talk to you for a second

Summer: look if you want another sh*t I really-

Seth: no, no believe me I get it, uh clearly...something's not working an it's me, an it's fine, it's my fault

Summer: what're you tryin ta say?

Seth: I don't know maybe in a few years you know what I mean, ill be uh...(sighs) I guess ill be ready for you I don't know but uh...in the mean time I think I'm jus gonna (nods) I'm jus gonna bow out

(Summer looks sad, Seth walks away)

CUT TO: The light house - Jimmy and Hailey are sitting there in the dark, the only light is coming from 2 candles at their table

Jimmy: no that's not asbestos that's uh, those are called floaties

Hailey: (laughs) asbestos an champagne (Jimmy laughs) what could be more romantic

Jimmy: well it's a-it's a work in progress an there's (sighs) actually nothing on the menu right now but the cookies are good

Hailey: (nods) this place is gonna be great Jimmy

Jimmy: yeah I know-I know I-I feel like for the first time in a while that my life is uh you know its coming together, so I-I don't understand uh you know uh I thought you couldn't get outta here fast enough

Hailey: yeah...until I realised I had nowhere ta go, no one ta see

Jimmy: Hailey you can get stuck here, you-you-you drive down the same streets you go to the same places an it feels like time isn't passing but it is, an it'll pass you right by. you owe it to yourself get out, get free...make the life for yourself

Hailey: (smiles) why do I need ta leave...your here

Jimmy: (sighs) yes I am...I mean you know we-we can't

Hailey: (softly) well (louder) why not

Jimmy: because I feel guilty enough lying to Kirsten about the cookies led alone...

Hailey: (closes her eyes) right

Jimmy: (sincerely) but believe me...I wish we could

Hailey: (smiles) I believe you

(they both smile at each other)

CUT TO: Out the front of the V. dance - Ryan is standing near the steps looking lost. Theresa comes out of the door and goes over to him

Theresa: hey (Ryan turns around) you ok? (Ryan nods) cigarette?

Ryan: I quit

Theresa: (puts them back) Ryan Atwood...look at yourself, new clothes, new hair cut, dating the homecoming queen (Ryan motions with his head as if to say 'no, not anymore') was dating?

Ryan: I guess, I don't know

Theresa: (walks over & touches his hair) I like the hair cut by the way

Ryan: (smiles) yeah (looks at her)

Theresa: you ever think about coming home

Ryan: ...sometimes, more lately...you ever think about leavin

Theresa: yeah, all the time...but I don't know how

Ryan: so when you took this particular catering job...

Theresa: I needed the money (Ryan looks at her) and (laughs) yes (Ryan laughs) I was hoping I'd run inta you (shrugs) homes lonely these days

(they both look at each other)

Ryan: are you on a break?

Theresa: yeah appetisers are finished I'm free until clean up

Ryan: you wanna get outta here (Theresa nods, Ryan smiles)

CUT TO: Inside the dance - Sandy is by himself and he sees Marissa by herself at the table crying

Sandy: (walks over to her) is it ok if I hang here?

Marissa: (wipes her eyes) yeah sure, of course

Sandy: (sits) Valentines Day is wonderful isn't it (Marissa laughs) you know the thing about Ryan-

Marissa: oh, no no this isn't...its not I-I'm fine

Sandy: I know, but the thing about Ran, is whenever things have gotten tough...everyone in his life has abandoned him

Marissa: yeah that's what he thinks I did

Sandy: so suprise him show him you didn't, that your not gonna give up on him

Marissa: he wants me to

Sandy: well...only because he expects ya to, it's crazy, love is crazy, it's always challenging, it's never easy

(Kirsten watches)

Marissa: yeah but is it always this hard

Sandy: sometimes you know but ya hang in there anyway, if your havin the worst fight in the world or even...some stupid argument that neither of you can even remember what its about, cause its...(sincerely) its worth it (Marissa nods) oh you guys have ben through so much already, why quit now (Marissa smiles)

(Summer walks up)

Summer: hey Mr. Cohen

Sandy: hello Summer

Summer: hi (to Marissa) Coop you ready ta go?

Marisa: (smiles) yeah

Sandy: you ok kiddo?

Marissa: yeah, thanks

(Summer and Marissa walk off. Sandy turns around and sees Kirsten standing there, smiling)

Sandy: oh

Kirsten: sometimes you make it hard ta hate you (sits on his lap)

Sandy: I know, it's all-its-its all part'a my charm

Kirsten: sometimes you make it easy

Sandy: (laughs) charming to, no?

Kirsten: mm...let's go home

CUT TO: Out the front of the V. dance - Theresa pulls up in her car and Ryan gets in. we see Marissa and Summer at the front door talking to each other, Marissa sees Ryan and Theresa drive off together and she looks hurt

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan and Theresa are on the bed talking. Ryan is lying one way and Theresa the other, so they are facing each other

Theresa: (laughing) then you tried'ta jump that fence an your pants got caught

Ryan: I-I was pretty graceful

Theresa: yeah especially when you face planted

Ryan: (laughing) glad to see you enjoy my pain

Theresa: (laughing) an we had no ice an we had to use that frozen bag of peas

Ryan: yeah frozen vegetables, miracle cure

Theresa: it's pretty amazing us running into each on Valentines Day (Ryan looks at her) (checks watch, sits up) I gotta get back, help clean up (Ryan sits up) so do you go to alotta these kinds of...events

Ryan: (nods) pretty much every week

Theresa: well then maybe ill run into you again (Ryan raises his eyebrows) plus, I know where you live

(they smile at each other)

CUT TO: Julie's house - Julie opens the front door and Luke is standing there

Julie: ...oh god

Luke: (nervous) I know I...shouldn't be here

Julie: no you shouldn't Luke

Luke: but its jus, I don't know you looked so sad when you left I couldn't bear the thought of you being alone on Valentines Day

Julie: (expression softens) most people would enjoy that thought (drinks her wine)

Luke: not me (Julie looks at him) Mrs. Cooper you are an amazing girl (walks closer) ...woman...lady uh an-an if Mr. Nichol doesn't appreciate you

Julie: no he sure doesn't (drinks)

Luke: (worked up) that's because he's-he's to old ta see what he's lucky enough ta have (Julie looks at him) an you should also know that you have always ben the coolest mom

Julie: (laughs) Luke...

Luke: no it's true you-you've always let us listen ta whatever we wanted to in the car pool an-an an you let us watch R rated movies an w-whenever we played ultimatum

Julie: (confused) ultimatum?

Luke: ...you know who of...all your friends moms would you rather do

Julie: (amused) that's a game

Luke: (nods) an whenever we played it...you always won

Julie: (suprised) really? I b*at Kirsten

Luke: an I just thought you should know the truth on Valentines Day...goodnight

Julie: wait (grabs his arm) uh (they look at each other) ooooh (finishes her wine) thankyou

(they smile at each other, Julie walks towards him and kisses him. Luke is stunned, then closes his eyes and enjoys the kiss)

Julie: (softly) would you like ta come in

(Luke walks inside and Julie looks out as if she is paranoid, before shutting the door)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten and Sandy come into the house and head up to their bedroom

Kirsten: I guess you're happy that today is over

Sandy: oh, absolutely (smiles & follows her up the stairs)

(Kirsten enters their bedroom and is speechless, there are lit candles everywhere, vases of roses, rose petals cover the bed as well as a tied bunch of roses and a huge love heart shaped box of chocolates)

Kirsten: (gasps, suprised) oh my god Sandy

Sandy: well somebody's gotta keep Hershey's an Hallmark in business (smiles)

(Kirsten walks over to the bed)

Kirsten: oh (laughs) (gets on the bed and opens the box)

(Sandy sh**t her with Cupids arrow - aww - Kirsten jumps then realises what he did and laughs)

Sandy: so you wanna be my Valentine

Kirsten: yes, just as soon as I have some of these caramel chocolates there my favourite! mm

Sandy: (points) there square ones, I like the ones with the nuts

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth is sitting on his bed talking to Captain Oats

Seth: not to rub it in man but I think princess sparkle is your type...yeah I blew it for us both...what's that...yeah are you kidding, great hooves

(Seth's door opens, Summer comes in)

Summer: Cohen

Seth: (sits up) Summer

Summer: hey um (sits next to him on the bed) (sighs)

Seth: hey

Summer: (stands) no (turns around and faces him) the other night...when we...had sex

Seth: yeah

Summer: (sighs) (frowns) you weren't the only virgin in the room

Seth: (looks around) there was someone else in the room? (softly) like, like filming us?

Summer: ME jackass...I'm...a virgin (Seth looks at her confused) or I...was a virgin

Seth: (shocked) ...why didn't you tell me

Summer: (shrugs) I don't know uh (sits next to him) I guess...I felt like I had this reputation ta uphold an...I figured you'd think less'a me or something

Seth: no! are you kidding not at all, I'm jus I'm shocked...god never in a million years did I think that you of all people (Summer glares at him) not that n...that is not what's important here (thinks) this was a huge moment in both our lives an we just blew past it

Summer: really really quickly

Seth: hey, not that quickly (Summer looks at him) pretty quickly yes (sighs) an it was a big deal

Summer: (shrugs) I think that it shoulda ben special...an we rushed it

Seth: well what if...we were ta slow it down a little bit...maybe um...start from the beginning

Summer: what'do you mean?

(Seth puts one finger up as if to say 'one second' he gets off the bed and puts his record player on, a version of the song 'wonderwall' begins to play. he motions for Summer to join him)

Summer: (laughs) you are so cheesy, Cohen

Seth: c'mon I'm sweeping you off your feet (takes her hand)

Summer: (stands & sighs) well...the sad part is...you kind of are

(Summer is holding him with her head on his shoulder, and Seth is holding her around her waist his head is in her hair. they are slowly moving to the music - aww. we fade to Marissa in the Cohen's backyard. she stops outside the pool house, then opens the door)

Marissa: (worked up) where is she?

Ryan: (on the bed) what? (stands up)

Marissa: Theresa if she's here I want her to know I'm not gonna lose you...I'm not gonna give up on you

Ryan: she left

Marissa: (goes over to him) I'm so sorry (her hands are on his chest)

Ryan: I know, (rubs her hands) I know

(Marissa kisses him on the cheek, Ryan pulls her hand away from his cheek)

Marissa: (crying) cant you...just forgive me

Ryan: how?...I don't know if...if we should be together (Marissa looks down) I mean look how easy it was for someone to come into our lives...an come between us (Marissa looks at him helpless) how do I know it won't happen again

Marissa: (goes to him) it wont...you have ta trust me

Ryan: like you trusted me?

Marissa: (crying) Ryan...so that's it?

Ryan: ...I-I can't pretend it didn't happen

(Marissa nods and rushes out, still crying, she wipes her eyes. Ryan walks to the door and watches her leave, then closes the door - fade out)