01x20 - The Telenovela

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

01x20 - The Telenovela

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Harbor school - Ryan and Seth are walking outside

Seth: so uh you an Marissa...you guys broken up, you guys takin a break what's the deal?

Ryan: I don't know I guess we're just uh not seeing each other

Seth: ooh except you will see each other of course...you know at school every day for the next couple'a years

Ryan: right...well we'll uh we'll jus got back to bein friends

Seth: (looks at Ryan) when were you guys ever friends, was it when you were beatin up her boyfriend or uh spooning in a Tijuana motel, is that when you were friends?

Ryan: yeah, it doesn't mean we can't be friends does it

Seth: (smiles) I don't know

Ryan: think ill have ta see her today

(Marissa and Summer are now walking)

Summer: friends Coop what're you guys gonna do together, lift weights, try on wife beaters (Marissa looks at her) sorry, guys like Ryan aren't friends with girls

Marissa: well I don't wanna jus be his friend, but after the whole Oliver thing I guess I need to show him he can trust me...(unsure) who knows if he'll even wanna be friends...(cheery) so how goes it with Seth

Summer: weird, in public he's like this huge geek who mumbles, I don't even know what he's saying half'a the time but behind closed doors, underneath the sheets he's like the anti-Cohen, do you think ill have'ta seem him today

(Back to Seth and Ryan)

Seth: I think me an Summer are finally over the hump by the way...so to speak. I jus hope man that she can keep it in her trousers when she sees me today, she'll probably have her little paws all over me (phone rings) ohp its prolly her now, a little phone sex (reads call ID) (frowns) who do I know from the 909

Ryan: (takes the phone from him) nobody (answers) hello

(Theresa on a bed, in some room. I'm assuming it's her place in Chino)

Theresa: Ryan, hi its Theresa...yeah Seth's mom gave me this number

Ryan: hey hey how are you uh everything ok?

Theresa: yeah fine I'm (we hear the noise of a shower in the background)...uh I'm actually coming out there today

Ryan: (suprised) you are uh how come, I mean uh for work

Theresa: yeah but...(smiles) they cant make us work all the time right, so I was thinking maybe we could hang out tonight (noise of the shower being shut off)

Ryan: tonight uh sure

Theresa: (laughs) don't sound so excited

Ryan: no no I am I'm just-I'm just a little suprised that's all

Theresa: oh you know me full'a suprises, so I-ill come by after dinner

Ryan: yeah that sounds good, see ya then

(Theresa hangs up the phone and we see Eddie coming out of the bathroom, he was just in the shower)

Eddie: hey baby who was that?

Theresa: (pushes suitcase under the bed with her foot) wrong number

Eddie: oh (Theresa raises her eyebrows at him)

(back to Ryan and Seth)

Ryan: that was Theresa...she's in town wants ta hang out (Seth looks at him) as a friend

Seth: oh, well first uh Marissa then Theresa (smirks) who knew Ryan Atwood was so friendly

(Ryan nods his head, not saying anything)

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

Still at Harbor school except now we are inside, Ryan and Seth are walking in the halls and they see Marissa and Summer

Seth: Summer

Summer: (smiles) Cohen

Marissa: Ryan

Ryan: (smiles) hi (Marissa looks at him, emotionless)

(Brad comes up to them)

Brad: Summer (Summer turns to face him) can we talk?

Summer: hey Brad, what's up?

Seth: Brad! oh dude I didn't recognise you outta the speedo (Summer & Brad look at him) not that I would recognise you in the speedo but

Summer: (laughs) ok

(Brad and Summer walk off)

Seth: gees (follows them)

(Ryan and Marissa are now by themselves. they are both clearly awkward/unsure around each other)

Marissa: so how are you?

Ryan: (smiles) I'm uh (Marissa smiles) (smile goes) i'm-i'm late see ya (walks off)

CUT TO: Brad and Summer standing together, Seth is nearby

Brad: so we're doin a fundraiser...for the team, a kissing booth. I'm gonna be the guy and uh (Seth looks shocked) we're lookin for a girl who's comfortable (Seth shakes his head) bein paid to ta make out with a bunch of guys, naturally I thought of you

Summer: (flattered) really? you thought of me, go (enthusiastic) totally! (smiles) I mean why not

Brad: thanks Summer

Summer: sure

Seth: that guy jus talked to you like I wasn't even there, does he not know we're goin out

Summer: (rolls her eyes) look its not like he wants ta kiss me, he jus wants me ta kiss a bunch of other dudes for money

Seth: oh ok

Summer: ill see you tonight (Seth doesn't look happy) my place (leans forward) you can help me practice

(Summer walks away and we see Anna standing in the background)

Seth: Anna

Anna: so you guys are together now, well that didn't take long did it

Seth: um yeah Summer an I are...an I'm sorry

Anna: its ok I mean I did see it coming, it is the reason I broke up with you

Seth: (mouths 'right') hey how was Pittsburgh

Anna: (smiles) it was...good ta be home

Seth: yeah

Anna: mm-hmm

Seth: Pittsburgh's also the home of uh Andy Warhol, Mr. Rogers an ketchup (shakes his head) an you can't compete with that

Anna: (smiles) no you can't, yeah it was really great I got a tuna melt at my favourite diner an I saw some kind of wonderful at the midnight movie an hung out with all my friends

Seth: (nods) that sounds awesome

Anna: it was really nice, I guess...I didn't realise how much I missed them

CUT TO: Caleb's office - Caleb is in there and Kirsten comes in

Kirsten: (knocks) hey dad (walks in) you wanted ta see me

Caleb: Kiki, we got a problem, it's your uncle Shaun, he was arrested last night

Kirsten: (nods) your kidding for what (folds her arms)

Caleb: oh he was drunk stumbled into another guest's room at the Saint Regis

Kirsten: oh Shaun's ben stumbling around drunk since you met him, which was in a bar if I'm not mistaken, ill have someone in legal handle it

Caleb: I was thinking you might ask Sandy

Kirsten: very funny

Caleb: oh he knows people at the DA's office doesn't he, he can make this whole thing go away

Kirsten: he'll never do it

Caleb: why not...because it would be a favor ta me

Kirsten: (thinks) pretty much, yeah

Caleb: well you could always tell him that it would mean alot to you

Kirsten: actually it would me alot ta me...but if you want Sandy's help after all these years, then you need ta ask him because that would mean alot ta Sandy

(Caleb looks at her)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth is in the student lounge pretending to read, he's actually watching Summer with a group of guys, she's giggling and flirting. Anna comes in and sits next to Seth

Seth: hey

Anna: hi...so...this is you an Summer being a couple

Seth: mm-hmm aint love grand

Anna: yeah I can really sense the bond it's like your closeness I-it's overwhelming

(Seth waves to Summer and Summer sort of waves back, but tries to disguise it)

Anna: oh my gosh, wait (looks at him) is it last fall already (points) come on Seth she is totally ignoring you

Seth: Anna she's not ignoring me, Summer jus has her priorities in order you know how she feels about charity

(Anna laughs, then goes to say something but she stops herself)

Seth: (sees) yes?

Anna: yeah, goodluck with that (walks off)

(Summer is still laughing with the guys, Seth is getting more and more jealous, he turns the page more roughly then he was before)

CUT TO: The hall - Julie is walking, Luke is at his locker and sees her when he turns around

Luke: (suprised) Mrs. Cooper, what're you doin here?

Julie: (smiles) parent-teacher conference...it's good to see you

Luke: well its-its good to see you too...really good you- I mean, god you look good (goes to grab her)

Julie: Luke uh I'm Marissa's mother your a student at this school, we can't do this

Luke: you mean...its over?

Julie: (softly) no, I mean in the hall way... (smiles) ill see you tonight

(Jimmy walks up to them)

Jimmy: (puts hand on Julies shoulder) hey Julie

Julie: Jimmy, hi, you remember Luke

Jimmy: who could forget, Luke

Luke: hey Mr. Cooper

Jimmy: I'm glad you're here I wouldn't wanna go ta Dr Kim's office alone the woman scares me

Luke: ok well uh (smiles) goodbye Mrs. Cooper...and Mr. Cooper (Jimmy nods) ill uh ill see ya...both (tries to go through a door but its locked, he's freaked out) (walks away) have a good-have a good day

(Jimmy looks at him like he's crazy)

CUT TO: The student lounge - Marissa and Ryan run into each other. because of what happened earlier Marissa isn't happy to see him. Ryan however smiles

Ryan: hey i'm-i'm sorry about this morning that uh...it-it shouldn't have ta be

Marissa: (smiles) like this

Ryan: yeah

Marissa: I was just sorta hoping we could be...friends you know, I mean as long as that's ok with you

Ryan: yeah no we should we should uh we should hang out

Marissa: (smiles) ok uh (shrugs) what're you doing tonight

Ryan: tonight's no good

Marissa: (laughs) uh you know what its ok we don't have ta do this (goes to walk away)

Ryan: (stops her) what about after school

Marissa: (thinks) um actually after schools good, its better actually cause I'm spose'ta have dinner with my dad, so uh your place

Ryan: yeah see ya then (smiles)

Marissa: cool

CUT TO: The light house - Sandy is there eating, and Caleb walks in

Caleb: well (Sandy looks up) the restaurants coming along Sandy, at this rate you'll be open by 2008

Sandy: an there goes my appetite, Caleb hello

Caleb: (referring to the food) what the hell is that?

Sandy: it's my mother's meat loaf

Caleb: oh god your mothers here (looks around)

Sandy: her recipe is, we're tryin out a chef, you want some?

Caleb: actually I think the sight of your mother's meatloaf has turned me into a vegetarian

Sandy: (sighs) look I know your a big fan of the pop in but is there another reason why your here

Caleb: i've (sits) come to ask a favor

Sandy: (shocked, sits forward) I'm sorry what'did you say

Caleb: you didn't hear me

Sandy: no I heard ya I-I I jus wanna make you say it again (smiles)

Caleb: a friend'a mines in trouble I want ya ta help him out

Sandy: oh I didn't know you had friends

Caleb: it's Bill Shaunessy

Sandy: Uncle Shaun, yeah well you pay Uncle Shaun ta be your friend, well I guess he qualifies what'did he do

Caleb: oh he was drinking accidentally stumbled inta someone else's hotel room, they called security an now it's a legal matter

Sandy: well you got a team'a high priced barristers at your beckon call

Caleb: he came ta me as a friend, I want it handled like a friend (nods) quietly

Sandy: by someone who has a relationship with the DA's office (drinks his drink)

Caleb: Sandy I'm asking you, i've know Shaun for over 40 years...it would mean alot ta me

Sandy: did Kirsten tell you ta say that

Caleb: she thinks you're gonna say no

Sandy: oh my wife knows me pretty well...but you know sometimes I like ta suprise her, I don't want her to go an get all conceited an stuff you know, ya have a copy of the police report? (Caleb gets it) now I'm not saying that ill do it I'm saying that ill take a look at the report ill make some calls an then we'll see (reads the report)

Caleb: (nods) got anymore'a that meatloaf?

Sandy: maybe

CUT TO: Harbor school - Julie and Jimmy are coming out of Dr Kim's office

Jimmy: well that was a relief, Dr Kim seems to think Marissa's doing well, I was sure she was gonna revoke my license ta parent

Julie: you know Jimmy I don't think I ever really thanked you

Jimmy: that's not true Jules you've thanked me for alienating the community, destroying the family-

Julie: for doing a wonderful job with Marissa (Jimmy is thrown by that) I'm serious listening to you in that meeting, you're totally involved in her life

Jimmy: (laughs) you an Caleb must be doing really well

Julie: (frowns) why would you say that

Jimmy: because you're being so (shrugs) nice

Julie: well actually Caleb an I aren't seeing each other anymore...and I'm much happier

Jimmy: huh an ta think (frowns) you've spent a life time wanting ta be rich an married...when what agrees with you most is being poor an alone (laughs)

(Julie smiles)

CUT TO: Summer's bedroom - Seth and Summer are underneath the sheets, kissing

Summer: isn't it better when we're alone, jus the two of us

Seth: hey, why did you ignore me at school today?

Summer: I didn't ignore you (Seth looks at her) ugh ok maybe a little (Seth sits up on his elbows) I just I want our relationship to be private ok, I don't like other people knowing my business

Seth: why not

Summer: because its none'a there business...look there's like...pressure an scrutiny in the spotlight

Seth: (sits up) what spotlight?

Summer: when has being in the public eye ever helped a relationship huh yeah sure we're this weeks hottest couple but then the world gets sick of it the shopping sprees the strip clubs, people turn against us ok how many juicy sweat suits does she need (Seth has no idea what she's on about) oh that goatee is soo mid 90s (faster) an pretty soon the movie bombs and the wedding is called off (Seth looks at her) (touches his chin) but I'm not gonna let that happen ta us, cause Cohen, what we have is special

Seth: (frowning) Summer...that's maybe jus

(Summer kisses him and pulls him under the blanket)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Ryan and Marissa are playing psx in the living room. Marissa loses

Marissa: guess I'm not very good

Ryan: yeah (laughs)

Marissa: want a rematch? cause I couldn't possibly get any worse

Ryan: (smiles) nah no I uh I should probably start on my home work

Marissa: oh yeah me too, I mean my dads probably waiting... (unsure) is this I don't know are we

Ryan: why-why is this weird?

Marissa: (laughs) it shouldn't be

Ryan: I know we use'ta hang out all the time an-

Marissa: (laughs) make out

Ryan: we could always fight about Luke

Marissa: or Oliver

Ryan: (half smiles) uh-hm

Marissa: sorry...I jus

(Rosa brings Theresa in)

Theresa: hey Ryan

(Marissa looks at him, Ryan looks at her)

Theresa: hey Marissa (Marissa doesn't say anything) um I-I'm early sorry ill go an come back later

Ryan: no no its ok we weren't uh we weren't doin anything

Marissa: yeah I was jus leaving, hes got alotta home work (stands up) good ta see you Theresa

Theresa: its nice ta see you too

(Ryan watches Marissa leave)

Theresa: ooh the ninja game (sits) your dead

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy and Kirsten are in there talking about Uncle Shaun

Sandy: considering he is your Uncle Shaun don't you think it's a little weird that we have never met

Kirsten: he's not really my uncle (turns to face Sandy) an he pretty much works all the time

Sandy: doing what

Kirsten: he's a consultant

Sandy: coul-could you please be a little more vague

Kirsten: he knows...people

Sandy: you did it! that was more vague

Kirsten: (smiles) the guys at the permit office, the union guys he's our liaison

Sandy: ah-huh (Kirsten nods) ah-huh...well I looked over the police report, I put in a few calls an I'm sure ill hear somethin back before we get together tonight

Kirsten: (leans over) thankyou

(Ryan and Seth come in)

Seth: over exposure Ryan it's a major source of conflict in new relationships 'Summereth' 'Sethummer' you understand what I'm sayin

Ryan: (sits at the counter to eat breakfast) no, no but that's normal

Kirsten: uh Ryan your friend Theresa called

Sandy: i'd like ta meet Theresa

Ryan: yeah she'd like to meet you guys

Kirsten: uh what is she doin out here?

Ryan: she's uh taking a semester off makin some money catering a tennis tournament uh her mom got laid off (Kirsten nods)

Seth: so she's out here a while then hmm does Marissa know? I'm jus curious

Ryan: they kinda bumped into each other

Seth: (laughs) heeeey look at you the friend guy bringin friends together

Kirsten: I sense sarcasm

Seth: well your perceptive mother this uh mysterious caliente female from your past jus shows up (Ryan smiles) outta nowhere with ah all this time on her hands an no one ta spend it with but you

Sandy: an Marissa's ok with this

Seth: ooooh yeah Marissa's fine there goin back ta bein friends so

Sandy: (confused) sooo when were they ever friends?

(Seth turns to face Ryan and looks at him)

CUT TO: Mermaid Inn - Julie and Luke are in a room, Luke is putting his pants on and Julie is sitting on the bed smiling

Luke: (sighs) you are so beautiful you know that

Julie: (laughs) your very sweet

Luke: (jumps up on the bed) I wish we could stay here forever

Julie: why

Luke: we got everything we need we got a bed we got our cable hmm (kisses her) we got each other (kiss) this place is awesome

Julie: it's not awesome its seventy nine dollars a night (kisses him)

Luke: mm I gotta motor (gets off the bed) I don't wanna be late for home room

Julie: you have home room...right cause your in high school and your only eighteen (phone rings, answers) Kaitlin are you ok?...what'd you mean your in front of the house Chester's mom was spose to pick you up at grandmas an take you to school...your diorama uh yeah I think its in the living room honey...ok just wait-wait there with grandma ill be there as soon as I can...ok see you soon

Luke: ill see ya tonight?

Julie: (sighs) Luke (puts her top on) motels home rooms dioramas, this is not the stuff of great romance

Luke: (disappointed) but Mrs.- Julie

Julie: (kisses him on the forehead) oh I'm sorry

Luke: (sad) no worries

Julie: good

(Luke comes out of the hotel room and we see Theresa walk passed him on the way to her room which is next door)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is outside walking with his lunch, he goes over to Marissa who is at a table by herself

Ryan: hey, you mind if uh (motions to sit)

Marissa: (smiles) no (motions for him to sit)

Ryan: thanks (sits)

(at the same time)

Ryan: so sorry about the-

Marissa: sorry I was such a- (smiles)

Ryan: I shoulda told you she was comin

Marissa: oh you didn't have to, but you could of I mean now that we're friends right

Ryan: right (smiles)

Marissa: so are you an Theresa...

Ryan: we're friends

Marissa: oh, an she's back in town for-

Ryan: work, she's uh staying till the end'a the week

Marissa: where's she staying?

Ryan: (frowns) uh the a the motel out by the peer the uh the-the (unsure) the sea...shell sea...monkey (laughs)

Marissa: (laughs) the mermaid

Ryan: (smiles) right

Marissa: (excited) hey so I was thinking maybe next week we could have that rematch

Ryan: yeah, you think you're up for it

Marissa: hey what I lack in numchucks I make up for in saber (raises her eyebrows)

CUT TO: Seth and Anna walking outside

Anna: so, did you talk to Summer yesterday

Seth: oh yeah

Anna: oh yeah?

Seth: well we talked about uh-uh school an-an sports an the weather but uh if your referring to the part where she's ashamed'a me no, we didn't get to that

(Anna goes to say something, then stops herself like before)

Seth: were you gonna say somethin (Anna shakes her head) somethin very wise an helpful Anna...hmm

Anna: no

Seth: no, you got nothin no advice at all for me

Anna: (shakes her head) mm-mm

Seth: it looked like you did

Anna: (frustrated) ugh why do I do this!

Seth: because you're so wise Anna ya cant not

Anna: (giving in) alright fine look, you have to take a stand alright you cant let Summer get away with this otherwise she does have something to be ashamed of because then...her boyfriend is a coward

(Summer walks up with some guys, one of which knocks into Seth and doesn't apologise)

Summer: oh, hey I'm jus going to help with the kissing booth you know cause I love ta help (laughs, walks off)

Seth: right coward, got it

CUT TO: The light house - Sandy walks in and Uncle Shaun is in there waiting for him

Shaun: aah hope you don't mind, I let myself in through the back

Sandy: it's what you do, famous Uncle Shaun

Shaun: (laughs) here (pours him a drink) famous grouse, I haven't seen a bottle of this since Bob Mitchum passed

Sandy: (sits) you knew Robert Mitchum

Shaun: yeah you know he an his wife er Dorothy they use'ta have a place over there on Linda Isle (points) that was their favourite booth, Sunday dinners, chicken parm

Sandy: I'm partial to the parm myself and a lover of blended scotch (picks up the glass) salatchi(?)

Shaun: (laughs) an Caleb keeps sayin you have no redeeming qualities

Sandy: (swallows) so I read the police report I just have a couple'a questions, this fella whose pressing charges, he's in the construction business

Shaun: really, huh

Sandy: yeah yeah he's a lumbar supplier one'a the biggest in the country, infact he was in town on a negotiation with one'a the Newport group's chief rivals

Shaun: imagine that

Sandy: yeah I'm guessing that in that room that you accidentally stumbled into were documents containing information that would be very valuable ta somebody like Caleb

Shaun: you think

Sandy: (sits forward) you expect me or the DA's office ta believe that a belly full'a liquor or a wild coincidence would put you in that room (smiling) you were there for Caleb

Shaun: (laughs) that's an interesting theory...an one I you know I hope you don't explore to much cause uh, what is it Sandy, Sandy you know Caleb an I have ben friends for many years (laughs) an if I were ta si'down with the DA there's no...telling what we might talk about (laughs)

(Sandy looks at him)

CUT TO: The beach - Ryan and Theresa are walking on the sand eating ice cream

Ryan: so what'do you think?

Theresa: it's good

Theresa: mm (eats some)

Ryan: (eats some) they call em Balboa bars

Theresa: its just ice cream

Ryan: no such thing as just ice cream in Newport (laughs) like instead of-instead of car washes they have auto-spas, dogs have day care, Fashion Island has valet parking, it's a weird place

Theresa: still...it's beautiful...I can see why you wanna live here, start over

Ryan: is that why you came back here, ta start over

Theresa: (looks at him) no, I couldn't, i've got my mom ta think about...my brother...an Eddie

Ryan: you guys are still uh...

Theresa: we're taking some time apart you know ta see if we really belong together...what about you an Marissa

Ryan: kinda the same thing I guess, we're tryin'a be friends but it hasn't exactly ben easy...actually it's never really ben-

Theresa: like this...that's cause I've never really liked you

Ryan: true, makes things easier (both smile, laugh)

(sh*ts of them walking along the beach at sunset)

CUT TO: Summer's bedroom - Summer and Seth are in there together

Summer: do you need to stretch so you won't pull a hammy? (laughs) or are you ready for your work out

Seth: (puts his hand up) I'm sorry Summer...I needa take a stand ok this whole separation of the public an private spheres is not workin for me I cant do it

Summer: but I told you how I-

Seth: one day you know ya might have a series of MTV driven radio hits, an then you know a little moderately priced teen clothing line (Summer folds her arms) I could get offered twenty million dollars to portray a blind super hero in a red leather unitard but until then as long as we're (emphasis) complete faceless nobodies (Summer rolls her eyes) living in obscurity (shakes his head) I cant acknowledge you privately if your not gonna acknowledge me publicly

Summer: (frowns) Cohen!

Seth: so let'me know when your ready'ta come to the bargaining table but until then (points) you jus go ahead an consider me on strike

Summer: well you'll be crossing your own picket line in no time

Seth: (walking out) (makes a fist) fight the power

(Summer throws a stuffed toy in his general direction)

CUT TO: Out the front of the Cohen house - Ryan comes home on his bike and Eddie is wating for him

Ryan: Eddie

Eddie: hey

Ryan: hey man

Eddie: how's it goin Ryan, its good ta see you man (does hand shake/hug thingy with him) (Ryan smiles) you look good, you look good man, y'know I went up an visited your brother last week, it kills me that he's still servin time, sucks huh

Ryan: yeah, yeah its ben a while man what uh what're you doin here

Eddie: well...actually um...I'm looking for Theresa

Ryan: (frowns) Theresa

Eddie: yeah well you know her mom said she was workin out here in Newport an your brother said you were livin the life out here you know so I...I don't know I thought maybe you'd seen her

Ryan: she-she didn't leave a note or something?

Eddie: no...nothing, some thanks for the ring I got her huh

Ryan: ring?

Eddie: yeah, we're uh...engaged

Ryan: (suprised) engaged (Eddie nods) damn Eddie that's-that's great man

Eddie: yeah, yeah it is...so she uh...I mean she hasn't looked you up at all

Ryan: nah sorry

Eddie: eh (laughs) your really livin the dream out here huh

Ryan: yeah you said it

Eddie: that's alright you deserve it man, you know puttin up with Trey for all those years (they look at each other) alright I'm gonna get outta here but um...hey if you see her you know just-

Eddie: (opens the car door) I don't know I just-I just...I can't believe she ran out on me like that

Ryan: (nods) either can I

CUT TO: Mermaid Inn - Ryan and Theresa are in Theresa's room

Ryan: were you gonna tell me you were engaged

Theresa: I'm not engaged

Ryan: what the hell are you doin?

Theresa: he asked I didn't say yes

Ryan: so you jus took off, you think that'll fix everything

Theresa: you did (Ryan doesn't say anything) sorry

Ryan: your gonna have'ta face him sooner or later

Theresa: (sighs) I-I just need time ta think

Ryan: (worked up) yeah ya need about 5 years your-your seventeen

Theresa: an what's gonna be different for me in 5 years, or have you totally forgotten where you come from

Ryan: oh come on

Theresa: no not everybody has an infinity pool in their backyard goes to private school an drives around in a range rover

Ryan: what the hell are you even talkin about?

Theresa: Eddie's got his own place he's a foreman at work and he's not a drunk or a screw up like the rest of his friends

Ryan: all good reasons ta marry him

Theresa: an he loves me

Ryan: an you...

Theresa: (shakes her head) I jus need time

(they both look at each other, not saying anything)

Ryan: (sighs) what're you doin for dinner

Theresa: nothing

Ryan: don't say you're not hungry I know you

Theresa: I didn't say I wasn't hungry, I'm starving why'do ya think I'm bein such a bitch

Ryan: so what're you gonna do eat outta the vending machine, c'mon, c'mon your comin to the house with me (throws her car keys)

Theresa: you just need a ride

Ryan: ah-huh
CUT TO: The Cohen house - Seth answers the door and a very worked up Summer is there

Summer: upstairs alone now (walks in)

Seth: upstairs alone um I'm afraid i'd have ta file a grievance with the union

Summer: i've had enough Cohen

Seth: I left your house two hours ago

Summer: yeah well it feels like four...an i've ben thinking about what you said an I find it totally insensitive

Seth: I'm being insensitive really

Summer: yeah

Seth: how

Summer: (worked up) well why can't you accept that I'm not comfortable with public displays of affection

Seth: (can't believe what she said) (worked up) your offering yourself for ten dollars a pop at a kissing booth! how much more publicly can affection be displayed

Summer: (calm) look, I know there's a strike...but technically (goes closer to him) you wouldn't be considered a scab

Seth: Summer don't say scab

Summer: if you didn't have'ta do anything (Seth looks at her, Summer smiles)

Seth: (softly in her ear) well your strike busting techniques are no good here, sorry the rank an file are holding strong (Summer walks out, confused) (holds his fist up) solidarity

CUT TO: Julie's front door - Julie opens it and Caleb is standing there

Julie: (suprised) Cal um what a suprise

Caleb: a welcome one I hope

Julie: (smiles) well that depends, you've brought flowers (Caleb hands them to her) thankyou there beautiful

Caleb: i've missed you

Julie: i've missed you too

Caleb: lets face it Julie we're neither of us love struck adolescents looking for to be swept off our feet we're both adults (Julies smile goes) our lives are full of responsibilities, difficulties

Julie: well isn't this romantic

Caleb: we should be able to come to some arrangement, where we get from a relationship what we want

Julie: (angry) is this a booty call

Caleb: (confused) what's a booty...call

Julie: its when you show up at night un announced no apologies no compliments no commitments just some crappy mini carns from Ralph's (throws the flowers at him) and the very mistaken idea that I just might wanna f- (slams door)

(porch light goes off and Caleb just stands there, he picks up flowers and begins to walk away)

Caleb: guess it was a booty call

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy and Kirsten are in there preparing dinner

Sandy: how much are you involved with Uncle Shaun day to day?

Kirsten: not much, he spends most of his time outta the office, on site with the crews, suppliers, inspectors

Sandy: well you gotta be a real hard ass to be good at that job lots'a tough characters in that world

Kirsten: I'm sure Shaun can be persuasive when he needs'ta be

Sandy: convincing argument persuasive or...baseball bat persuasive

Kirsten: look if you don't wanna help him I understand, I didn't think you'd do it in the first place

(Seth walks in)

Kirsten: hey dinners ready, slaved over hot take out containers

Sandy: Ryan here?

(Ryan and Theresa walk in)

Ryan: hey

Sandy: hey

Ryan: uh this is Theresa (smiles)

Theresa: hi

Seth: hello friend (Ryan looks at him, Seth raises his eyebrows)

Kirsten: (smiles) nice to meet you uh I'm Kirsten an this is

Sandy: Sandy (shakes her hand) hi i've heard so much about ya

Theresa: its nice to meet you all, can I help it looks great

Kirsten: sure um the key is taking the food out of the styrofoam containers

Sandy: but her real specialty is ordering

Theresa: (in the background) is the silverware over here or

(Ryan and Seth are standing together, Kirsten, Sandy and Theresa are around the table)

Seth: what's goin on here an don't say nothing cause it's not nothin its somethin-

Ryan: (sighs) she's engaged

Seth: wow, you make quick work with the ladies

Ryan: t-ta this guy Eddie

Seth: oh she jus told you

Ryan: no, he did when he showed up looking for her (looks at him then takes the plates to the table)

(Seth has his mouth open, Sandy and Kirsten walk over to him)

Sandy: alright what's goin on here?

Kirsten: an don't say nothing

Sandy: yeah because it's not nothin it's something

Seth: its is something parents what we have here is our very own (whispers) Telenovela

Kirsten: Telenovela?

Seth: yeah Spanish language soap opera, Nina Amada Mia...I hope Isobel gets Victor I do love his handle bar mustache

(in the background)

Theresa: you do it

Ryan: give it to me

Sandy: ai adios mio

CUT TO: Jimmy's house - Marissa is lying on the lounge in the dark watching 'The Valley'

TV: Previously on The Valley

(Jimmy comes in the door)

Jimmy: hey (turns light on) what're you doin home I thought you'd be over at Ryan's house

Marissa: yeah he's kinda busy, a friend from home (cold)Theresa

Jimmy: (frowns) and your ok with that

Marissa: yeah it's not a big deal

Jimmy: it is kind of a big deal I mean he's important to ya

Marissa: (sitting up) actually dad what's important to me is that we not talk about this right now, cause I'm fine...its jus high school

Jimmy: hey that's spose'ta be my line ok your spose'ta say how I could never understand and how Ryan's the most important thing in the world and without him

Marissa: (smiles) we're just friends...or at least we're tryin'a be

Jimmy: look at the risk of embarrassing you, you an Ryan (shakes his head) never friends

Marissa: so i've ben told (sighs) but if we can't be friends then (shrugs)

Jimmy: then you need ta let him know what you wanna be (Marissa looks at him) see there's still room around here for me ta be the adult (Marissa smiles) ok

(Marissa looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Cohen dining room - they are all sitting around the table. Sandy is at the end, Kirsten on the left of him, Seth next to her, and Theresa and Ryan opposite them

Theresa: so we're all dressed up for my brothers sixteenth birthday

Ryan: no,no,no no not this one, don't you have anything that doesn't involve me falling down or getting injured (Theresa laughs)

Seth: did Ryan fall down when you did musicals, maybe you could tell us about that

Sandy: (suprised) you did musicals, I did a musical or two myself in college

Kirsten: oh someone please stop him before he starts singing grease lightening

Seth: do it dad Travolta's your bitch! (Theresa laughs)

Sandy: oh thankyou son

Kirsten: (to Theresa) go ahead

Theresa: so we were at the holiday inn at the revolving restaurant an Ryan has this thing about heights (door bell)

Kirsten: uh ill get it, scuse me

(Theresa looks at Ryan, and Ryan looks uncomfortable. Kirsten answers the door and it's Marissa)

Kirsten: hey sweetie

Marissa: hey, is Ryan here

Kirsten: uh yes he-he is

(cut back to the table)

Seth: I love revolving restaurants

Sandy: who doesn't, motion indigestion, unbeatable combination

(Kirsten an Marissa walk in)

Kirsten: uh look who's here

Marissa: hey

Ryan: (stunned) h-hi

(Marissa and Theresa look at each other uncomfortably)

Sandy: d-does everybody (stands) know everybody

Marissa: yeah, hi Theresa

Theresa: hi Marissa

(Seth looks at Marissa, then Theresa)

Sandy: ya hungry

Marissa: actually I'm starved (touches her stomach) is it ok?

Seth: yeah

Sandy: sure

Kirsten: absolutely have a seat (points)

Ryan: let me get you a plate

(Marissa sits, Theresa looks at Ryan getting up, then Marissa, they sort of smile at each other, but you can tell it's uncomfortable. Ryan puts the plate and silverware down for her)

Marissa: so, what's everyone talking about (smiles)

CUT TO: The pool house the next morning - Ryan is getting ready for school and Seth comes in

Seth: hey man phone for you it's uh Eddie (Ryan motions to Seth that he's not here) hey man I cant find him um do ya want me ta take a message...apparently not he hung up. so uh dinner last night entertaining for the rest of us but for you wow

Ryan: what last night

Seth: yeah last night the whole uh dinner theatre Telenovela thing you performed

Ryan: (confused) Tele...novela

Seth: yeah Spanish language sudser, telemundo dude (Ryan still doesn't understand) univision, Victor with the sexy handlebar moustache, comprende?

Ryan: nada

Seth: Ci, so you still have the mindset that your the friend guy huh (Ryan looks at him) befriending any tall beautiful woman who cares to dine with us

Ryan: I'm workin on it

Seth: right, well...if I may speaking from a recent personal experience (sits on the chair) the triangles uh not a friendly shape ok, its pointy its got sharp edges, triangles hurt people man

Ryan: there is no triangle Marissa an I aren't together, an Theresa's just here's for work

Seth: except for the fact that Marissa still obviously has feelings for you an Theresa obviously has feelings for you. infact the only thing that's not obvious...is how Ryan Atwood feels

Ryan: (sighs) I don't know it's complicated

Seth: (nods) that's right it is complicated, it's complicated by the fact that there's an Eddie, an this Eddie still obviously has feelings for Theresa, infact that would actually make this romantic triangle more of a romantic...rhombus

Ryan: so what am I supposed ta do?

Seth: that, I don't know, but I would do something soon otherwise (stands) someone's gonna get hurt...and judging from Eddies phone voice its probably gonna be you

(Seth walks out, Ryan sits there thinking)

CUT TO: Caleb's office - Caleb is there with Sandy

Caleb: what the hell do you expect Sandy, constructions a dirty business, bids accepted below cost, permits mysteriously approved at the last second, guys like Shaun are the life blood of the industry

Sandy: well (stands) that was a touching speech Cal but still the answers no, good luck

Caleb: your opening a pandora's box you know that (Sandy turns back, listening) Shaun's old he's tired if the DA starts asking questions he's got lots of answers

Sandy: well if you build your empire on quick sand sooner or later it's gonna sink

Caleb: an what about Kirsten, she's complicit in all this to

Sandy: she doesn't know anything about this

Caleb: because I didn't tell her...I was trying to protect her, but she's number 2 here at Newport group, she signs Shaun's paychecks, so like it or not we're in this mess together

(Sandy just stares, stunned)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Anna is playing a video game in the student lounge, Summer goes over to her

Summer: hey

Anna: hi

Summer: look I'm sorry ok its not like Cohen an I planned ta get together it sorta jus happened and if it makes you feel any better I don't think its gonna work out

Anna: (upset) well that makes me feel great

Summer: ...I jus cant be like one of those couples you know who hold hands in the hall way an make out in between classes, let the whole world know what's going on, its none'a their business you know

Anna: yeah well you don't have to ignore him Summer

Summer: I don't ignore him (Anna looks at her as if to say 'please') ok maybe a little but only in public

Anna: look you spent so much time trying ta get his attention, I mean you dressed up as wonder woman, well wonder woman is spose'ta have an invisible jet not an invisible boyfriend (Summer doesn't say anything) I mean either your really evil or there's something else going on

Summer: (softly) (shrugs) I jus don't know why he likes me, I mean he's way smarter an we have like less then nothing in common an he's just gonna get bored with me because pretty much all boys do, an if everybody knows we're dating then everyone will know when he breaks up with me, which he will...I mean dumped by Seth Cohen...its real good for my reputation

(Anna stands there stunned)

CUT TO: Luke is at his locker, his phone rings

Luke: (answers) hello

Julie: Luke

Luke: hey Mrs.-

Julie: do - not say my name out loud, come to the motel park across the street an then walk ill get the same room knock twice so I know it's you, and Luke this is a booty call

(Luke smiles and hangs up)

CUT TO: Seth is at his locker, Anna comes over to him

Anna: it turns out that you're not the only one who's a coward

Seth: oh, well it's nice to see you also Anna

Anna: Summer's scared too

Seth: I know she is, she's scared of being seen in public with me its fine

Anna: come on, Cohen, she fought for you she was fearless, ruthless infact...now she's got you...there's nothing scarier then that

Seth: (confused) nothing scarier then being with me? or do you mean like anyone

Anna: look once you get what you want, that's when you've got something ta lose (Seth doesn't say anything) she's afraid of losing you Cohen

Seth: why? I'm not goin anywhere

Anna: maybe you need to let her know that

(Seth stands there, thinking)

CUT TO: Mermaid Inn - Marissa goes to see Theresa

Marissa: (knocks) hi

Theresa: hey

Marissa: can we talk...I know its weird me being here but I jus really needed to know

Theresa: am I still in love with Ryan (Marissa nods) because you still are

Marissa: I don't wanna be, it would be a whole lot easier if I wasn't

(Theresa motions for her to come in)

CUT TO: Ryan driving in the car, it then goes to Eddie at work. Ryan goes in looking for him

Eddie: hey man (hand shake thingy) what's up, it's a long drive just ta come say hello

Ryan: last night when you asked me about Theresa...I wasn't completely honest

Eddie: (looks at Ryan) Carl I'm gonna take a break alright

(they walk over to a deserted area of the factory)

Eddie: (upset) so why lie

Ryan: I'm sorry man I-I (shrugs) I didn't know

Eddie: is she stayin with you

Ryan: no she's workin like her mom said

Eddie: (sighs) still uh I mean I pop the question an then...she runs away... (shrugs) to you

CUT TO: Marissa and Theresa in the room

Marissa: (suprised) married (Theresa nods) wow

Theresa: yeah that's the plan

Marissa: you must really love him alot

CUT TO: Ryan and Eddie

Eddie: do you love her

Ryan: I-I don't know

Eddie: yeah well I do ok I do...an I wanna take care of her, do you? I mean can you?...look I know this is tough I-I cant tell you what to do...but if you wanted to you could talk ta her you know convince her ta come home, otherwise you better be ready ta fight for her cause I'm not jus gonna walk away ok, I cant (begins to walk away) you got a long ride home...you got alot ta think about

CUT TO: Marissa and Theresa

Theresa: in the church where my mom goes there's this stain glass window of Theresa of Avila...her hearts being pierced by the arrow of an angel (Marissa listens) her eyes are closed an even thought it hurts her ta love that much she has the most beautiful smile (Marissa smiles) I remember my first communion I was wearing a white dress an gloves (voice over, with scenes of Ryan driving home) an I looked up at that window an I thought some day someone would pierce my heart (end v.o) an I would walk down the aisle in a real white dress an understand why she's smiling (Ryan driving again) (laughs) I know it sounds lame (Marissa shakes her head, smiling) but I guess life's not really like that, ya cant get all caught up in wishing for something that's not gonna happen, you gotta hold onta the next best thing (Marissa looks as though she's thinking) I guess I should call Eddie

Marissa: yeah I should uh get back to school (Theresa nods)

(we see Julie in disguise going into room 205, just as she goes in Marissa comes out)

Marissa: so thanks

Theresa: I can see why Ryan likes it here (they both smile, Marissa leaves)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Summer is at the kissing booth in the student lounge. Seth pushes to the front of the line

Seth: (to guy) ah here you go here's a full refund (hands him money) thanks alot thanks for comin, shows over you guys thanks so much though it was great havin you

(Summer is shocked)

Brad: this kid botherin you Summer

Summer: no its ok thanks

Seth: yeah thanks

Summer: Cohen you're making a scene

Seth: I need'a talk to you right now

Summer: (trying to get rid of him) I'll IM you later

Seth: ok

(Seth tries to get on top of the booth, he struggles to get his leg up. Anna looks over and sees. Seth uses a near by chair and walks up on top of the booth)

Seth: let's talk up here (motions for her to come up)

Summer: (puts her hands on her head) oh my god, no

Seth: Summer I know you're scared

Summer: (looks up) yeah of you

Seth: you kiss all these other guys but you wont kiss me...acknowledge me now or lose me forever

Brad: wait your dating this emo geek

Seth: yes Brad she's dating this emo geek (to everyone) yeah that's right um I'm a big dork an I listen'a emo an I'm dating her (points)

Summer: (embarrassed) why are you doing this

Seth: cause Summer I like you, this much an if you don't feel the same way about me then...someone's gonna have'ta give me a hand down because its really high up here an I could fall an that would be embarrassing, more embarrassing

(Summer looks up at him, he puts his hand out to her she hesitates then smiles and gets up with him. the guys standing around all frown, the girls are all looking at them lovey dovey and 'awww' like)

Summer: (holding his hand) I can't believe this

Seth: (smiles) its all over but the big public make out session

(Summer kisses him, Anna watches smiling, then she looks kind of sad. the guys all walk away but the girls are watching still with lovey dovey looks)

Summer: that'll be ten bucks Cohen

Seth: that's for a worthy cause (they kiss again)

CUT TO: Theresa's room - she's packing her suitcase and on the phone

Theresa: hey Carl can I talk ta Eddie...yeah...yeah ill hold on (knock at the door)

(Theresa puts the phone down and opens the door, it's Ryan)

Ryan: hi

Theresa: hey

Ryan: you packing

Theresa: (goes outside) yeah, I think I should probably go home, seems like the right thing ta do right

Ryan: you gotta do what's right for you...for you an Eddie (Theresa nods) an I gotta-i gotta figure out what's right for me...an Marissa

Theresa: (nods) right

Ryan: (getting closer to her) so if it's the right thing to do why don't I want ya to go

Theresa: why don't I wanna go?

(they look at each other)

Ryan: I can think of a reason (he kisses her)

(we fade to the phone that Theresa left on the bed)

Eddie: hello, hello, Theresa are you there? Theresa?

(fade out)