1x04 - Cancer Man

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Breaking Bad". Aired January 2008 - September 2013.*

Moderator: Tv_Gal13

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

To provide for his family's future after he is diagnosed with lung cancer, a chemistry genius turned high school teacher teams up with an ex-student to cook and sell the world's purest crystal meth.

1x04 - Cancer Man

Post by bunniefuu »

Scene: Police Station

Hank: Operation Icebreaker. How we liking that? We never used that before, did we?

Steve: Isn't it the name of a breath mint?

Hank: What?

Steve: "Icebreakers,” right? Breath mint?

Hank: Nobody's gonna be thinking that. They'll think about a big ass ship in the North Pole, breaking ice.

Steve: Says you. I'm gonna be thinking "Operation Breath Mint."

Hank: I'm thinking "Operation Breath Mint" every time we're on a stakeout together. Your breath could knock a buzzard off a sh*t wagon. All right. "Operation TBD." Thanks for nothing, Gomie. Anyway. Say hello to Domingo Gallardo Molina, AKA "Krazy-8." Smarter than your average cheese-eater. I turned him out at the street-level, but this dude's like the Jeffersons: Movin' on up. Every small-time dealer he'd throw at us, he'd end up snaking their customers. It turns out he's missing, presumed dead. Found his car out in the boonies. Last guy he ratted out was none other than his cousin, Emilio Koyama.

Agent: You thinking the cousin found out and took revenge?

Hank: Could be. Turns out he's missing, too. Normally, I'd say someone did the world a favor. But our snitch's car? Turns out we find two grams of meth in it, we take it to the lab. They come back, they tell us it is the purest they have ever seen. Our chemist was blown away. He said he couldn't do the same thing better. Worse yet, it didn't come out of some superlab in Mexico. We're thinking this was cooked right here, in the Land of Enchantment. Car was abandoned at what appears to be a cook site. This is the only other thing left behind. We're sending it off to Quantico, see if they can pull something off it. Meantime, our guys swabbed the filter element and found the same 99.1% meth. So be on notice. We got new players in town. We don't know who they are, where they come from but they possess an extremely high skill-set. Me personally? I'm thinking Albuquerque just might have a new kingpin.

Scene: White Residence (backyard)

Hank: Jesus. Walt, you're burning the sh*t out of them. Damn it. Hey, Sky, you got any more chicken? Emeril here is gonna need a fresh pack. All right, looking good.

Marie: Is this low-fat mayonnaise in the cole slaw?

Skyler: I don't know. It's store-bought.

Walter: Hank, you need another beer?

Hank: Does the Pope sh*t in his hat?

Marie: I don't think that he does, Hank. And I think everybody would like it if you'd stop saying that.

Marie, some more wine, maybe?

Marie: I'm all right, thanks.

Walter Jr: Hey, I want a beer.

Hank: Yeah. I want Shania Twain to give me a tuggie. Guess what? That ain't happening, either.

Walter: How about some more soda?

Walter Jr: Yeah, sure.

Walter: Honey, do you need anything?

Skyler: No, Walt. Thank you.

Walter: Okay. I'll be right back.

Hank: What, are you kidding me? You look like a damn movie star, man. Girls gotta be lining up left and right. Tell him how good-looking he is.

Skyler: He's adorable.

Hank: He don't wanna be friggin' adorable. He wants to be hot. You see what I'm talking about? That's a female perspective. She supposed to say that. Look, a guy doesn't have to look like, uh Charlton Heston I'm talking "Moses" days to get a girl, all right? You just gotta have confidence. Confidence and persistence. That's what I'm talking about. I chased your Aunt Marie here all over creation. I kept bugging her for a date. She kept saying no. What, did I ask you like 50 times?

Marie: It was before they tightened the stalking laws.

Hank: Anyway, how about your dad here? Right there's a good story, Walt. Tell him how you met Skyler.

Walter Jr: Mom was a waitress in Los Alamos. And Dad said that thing to you…

Walter: Actually, your mother wasn't a waitress. It was a summer job, and she was the hostess, and she also worked the cash register. And I used to go in there a lot because it was close enough to the lab where I could ride my bicycle. And once I noticed her it got to be so that I would only go in when I knew she was working. When it was slow, she would lean against the counter, doing her crossword puzzles, but kind of hiding it, right, pretending that she was still working. And once I caught on to that, I would do crossword puzzles while I ate my grilled cheese sandwich. It got so that everyday at lunch, we would both be doing the New York Times crossword puzzle ten feet from each other. Eventually, I caught her looking over at me. So, I began saying, "Excuse me. "Fourteen across, seven-letter word for whatchamacallit. "May I ask what you wrote down?" That got us talking. Boy, I tell you, I was terrible at those puzzles. I don't think that I finished even one of them. But your mother would do them in ink.

Hank: Very smooth. I'll bet you didn't think your old man had it in him? But that's what I'm talking about. That's persistence. You see? Once you set your cap for something, or somebody, you gotta just, you know Skyler?

Walter Jr: Mom, are you all right?

Marie: Shh, honey. It's okay. What's the matter? What is it?

Skyler: Ask him.

Marie: What's she talking about? Walt.

Walter: I have cancer. Lung cancer. It's bad.

Scene: Living Room

Skyler: Ask him how long he's known.

Walter: I guess a month, maybe, or...

Marie: For God sakes, Walt. We're just sitting out there having a cookout like nothing's going on?

Skyler: He made me promise not to tell anybody. Christ, these last 48 hours. And it's the weekend, so I couldn't even get his doctor on the phone.

Hank: Buddy, why I mean, why wouldn't you want to tell anybody?

Skyler: Don't you see? Everybody just wants to help you. We're family. We get through these things together.

Hank: I mean, I don't get, you know, lung cancer? How could that happen? You don't smoke.

Skyler: I'm thinking that this goes back to the applications lab. All those chemicals they had you working around?

Walter: We always took the proper precautions.

Skyler: One time you complained they didn't give you the right kind of I don't know, some kind of ventilation hood or something. And then the headaches.

Walter: Honey, it wasn't that.

Skyler: How do they think they can get away with this? We should hire a lawyer.

Marie: First, let's deal with this. Okay? So what's the next step for Walt? Certainly a second opinion, right?

Skyler: Right. Right. Absolutely.

Marie: Okay. So first thing tomorrow, I talk to my radiologists, we find you the best oncology dream team.

Skyler: I wanna go check on Walt Jr. I'm gonna see if I can talk him into, I don't know, joining us. I really didn't mean for him to find out that way.

Hank: Whatever happens I hope this goes without saying, but whatever happens I want you to know that I'll always take care of your family.

Scene: Jesse’s House

Jesse: Yo, check out these fake Pop Tarts. These are mad tight.

Skinny Pete: No, thanks, man. Pass.

Jesse: Your loss. These are from Canada or something. Imported.

Combo: Yo, what happened to your hallway, man? Did the ceiling fall down or…

Jesse: Oh, yeah I think the house is just settling. It's been caving in left and right. Hit me in the eye. It's bananas.

Skinny Pete: Yo, my pops could fix you up. He's like a contractor or something.

Jesse: Right on. I should grab that number.

Combo: Say, Jesse. You still cook a little crystal?

Jesse: Could be, yeah. You know, from time to time.

Skinny Pete: I heard you lost your partner. Emilio. Didn't he get locked up?

Combo: No, man. He's out. His cousin bailed him out. He skipped town or something.

Jesse: I don't know about any of that. I've been kinda doing my own thing these days.

Combo: But you maybe got some crystal, man? 'Cause I could seriously go for a bowl. You know? Take the edge off.

Skinny Pete: Hell, yeah. Sunday night bowl, yo.

Jesse: Maybe it just so happens that I just recently cooked the best batch ever. Oh, yeah. Came up with this whole new recipe. It's more like a formula. It's like way, way more chemically, you know, it's just the b*mb. But, you know, I don't know, I've been thinking lately I'll just lay off of it for a while. 'Cause lately it's been making me paranoid, so, you know, for, like health wise, just lay off.

Combo: Yo, if you're not into sharing, man, just tell us to piss off. It's cool. We don't need no soap opera.

Skinny Pete: Yeah, man. Whatever.

Jesse: No, no. It's all good. You know, I'm just saying. Hey, I got plenty of pot.

Combo: Yeah, I think I'll bounce, man.

Skinny Pete: Yeah, sounds about right.

Jesse: Hey, yo, yo. Hey, homes. I'm joking. Okay, I'm totally joking with you. You kidding? Sit down. Best scante ever. Grab that pipe.

Scene: White Residence (Bathroom)

Skyler: Do you need some help?

Walter: No, I'm fine, honey. I'm fine. Just Privacy. Thanks.

Skyler: I'm right outside if you need me.

Scene: Living Room

Skyler: Yeah, anytime on Friday is absolutely fine. Thank you so much for working us in. Can I just put that on a credit card? Great. Perfect. Okay, so we will see you at 10:45 on Friday morning. Thank you so much. Honey. The best oncologist I mean, not even just in New Mexico, but one of the top ten in the entire nation. His name is Dr. Delcavoli. And we see him on Friday. I mean, Marie really came through for us. She had her boss call and this is good. From here on out, things are gonna...

Walter: What's that we're putting on a credit card?

Skyler: It's just a deposit kind of thing.

Walter: How much of a deposit?

Skyler: It's $5,000.

Walter: Five thousand? And what's that? Just to start? Just to tell me what I already know?

Skyler: Walt, he's not in our HMO, okay? So be it. We'll figure it out. Come on. Don't get hung up on money here. We can always borrow from Hank.

Walter: Absolutely not. No, I just, we're not gonna do that.

Skyler: Well, maybe we can ask your mom. Have you even called her yet? Regardless, you're gonna have to tell her. I'm willing to do it.

Walter: I'll call.

Skyler: I don't want us thinking about money. Money is not the issue here. It's not.

Walter: I'll take care of the deposit. I'll borrow it from my pension.

Scene: Nursery

Walter: What's up? I thought I heard mice. That's all we need, huh? So, what's up, pal?

Walter Jr: What the hell's wrong with you?

Walter: What?

Walter Jr: You're acting all, why are you acting so weird? You're acting like nothing is going on.

Scene: Bank

Ken: Come on! Am I gonna have to come down there and whip your ass? And let me tell you something else. I'm not doing this for charity, right? I'm the best he's got in that office. He knows it, I know it. I expect to be paid to a level comens I said, "Dave, do you think That's less than 10% of what I booked for you guys this quarter. I'm not going to sit here and be disrespected. Oh, he's shitin bricks. Oh, you know he is. Yeah, that man lives in fear. I'll go across town. Hell, I could go anywhere. Hoffman-Gordon-Bradley or Sorcher, even Goldberg-Wayne. They'd make me a partner just for walking in the damn door. That's how ecstatic they'd be. Hells, yes, brother-man! Check this chick out. Who? Buddy, she's a cow. Stacey's a cow. We're talking major barnyard boo-hog. Roll her in flour and look for the wet spot before you hit that, man. You know?

Teller: Sir? Sir?

Walter: Sorry. Hi.

Teller: What can I do for you?

Ken: Which dude? The dude that looked like a lizard?

Walter: I'm sorry. I would like a cashier's check in the full amount made out to Oncology Partners of New Mexico, please. Oh, that's O-N-C-O-L-O-G-Y. Yeah, you got it.

Scene: Pinkman Residence

Mr. Pinkman: I don't understand why they're forcing you to choose between the piccolo and the oboe. You show so much promise with both.

Jake: They can't have any switching between woodwinds because no matter how divided up, someone would be left out.

Mrs. Pinkman: Well, rules are rules, I guess.

Mr. Pinkman: Sure, rules and rules. I'm all for that. But I'm telling you, you really shine on that oboe. You have real talent, and I'm not just saying that.

Jake: Thanks.

Mrs. Pinkman: What about Mr. Pemberton? Is he giving you enough individual attention?

Jake: I'd have to say so. He tries to talk to each one of us at least once during every practice.

Mr. Pinkman: That's good. Feedback is important. It's key, I think. Hey, so how was soccer practice?

Mrs. Pinkman: I think that was in our backyard.

Mr. Pinkman: Who's there? What the hell are you doing out here?

Jesse: Hey, Dad. Hey, Mom. Jake. You got new patio furniture. Right on! My leg.

Scene: Kitchen

Mrs. Pinkman: What do you think it could be?

Mr. Pinkman: God knows I'm no expert. I don't know. Uppers, downers? Your guess is as good as mine.

Mrs. Pinkman: I think we should check his arms for needle marks. Do we let him stay? The Presbyterian Church has those meetings. So maybe on condition, you know? If he agrees to attend? I just don't know what to tell Jake.

Jesse: Good evening.

Mrs. Pinkman: Sleep well?

Jesse: What time's, uh what time is dinner?

Mrs. Pinkman: In about an hour. You know, I could wash those clothes if you'd like. They look a little lived in.

Jesse: No, that's cool. Maybe later.

Mr. Pinkman: We are not doing this again.

Mrs. Pinkman: Adam.

Mr. Pinkman: No. We said we'd lay down the law, we lay down the law. We just have to be consistent about it.

Scene: Walter’s Classroom

Walter: You're not taking the bus? All right, well, listen. Give me maybe another 20 minutes and we'll get out of here.

Walter Jr: All right.

Walter: Yeah, good. You know, I just think that things have a way of working themselves out.

Scene: Jake’s Room

Jesse: When did you get this?

Jake: Last May at the year-end assembly. They gave me that one, too. The one on the end.

Jesse: Environmental Consciousness Award. What's that mean? You, like, recycle cans and sh*t?

Jake: I contacted the Albuquerque Journal and asked what chemicals they use to bleach their paper. They wound up writing an article about it.

Jesse: Right on, little bro! Making mad in-roads with the business community. All right! Now, hey, remember, not all learning comes out of books. Look at you. We should hang out more often. You know, just kick back and chill. I mean, if you ever, like, I don't know, need advice. Because, yo, I mean, I've been through it all. For real. Hey, man, you play the flute?

Jake: It's a piccolo, actually.

Jesse: Dude, play some, play some Jethro Tull.

Mrs. Pinkman: Hey, guys. How are we doing in here?

Jesse: We're good.

Jake: Yeah. Fine, Mom.

Mrs. Pinkman: Well, that's good. That's great.

Jesse: What the hell? You see this? What, am I some criminal or something?

Jake: Whatever.

Jesse: Whatever? What, you think that's okay? Like, "Oh, we can't let that scumbag warp the mind of our favorite son."

Jake: I'm the favorite? Yeah, right. You're practically all they ever talk about.

Scene: Jesse’s Old Room

Jesse: Oh, snap. Awesome.

Combo: Yo, man, it's me. Hey, listen. You know, that product? You got any more of that?

Jesse: Nah, man, okay? I'm done giving out freebies. You want charity, go ask the Salvation Army.

Combo: No, no charity. I got this cousin, he's got him some rich friends. These dudes are in town. They're looking to part-tay. And your stuff is, like, so sweet. So what do you say? You up for making some fat stacks? Because they'll buy everything you got.

Scene: White Residence

Walter: You can't be serious. What the hell are you doing here?

Jesse: Yo, I waited till the ball buster left. I mean, no offense.

Walter: Who sent you? You wearing a wire? You setting me up?

Jesse: A wire? You want a wire? I got a wire. Speak into the mic, bitch! What the hell's wrong with you? A wire. Jesus.

Walter: So who did you tell about...

Jesse: Nobody. What are you, nuts?

Walter: Then why are you here?

Jesse: I don't know. To, like touch base.

Walter: Touch base?

Jesse: Yeah, you know what you call a debrief? Maybe we could, like I thought we could debrief.

Walter: Debrief? Wow, that's what you think we need, to debrief?

Jesse: Yeah, after what happened, it just seems like the thing to do. Kind of, you know, talk about it. We can't talk to anybody else. Anyway, that, and I wanted to tell you how much everybody digs that meth we cooked. Everybody digs the meth we cooked. Seriously, I got dudes that would give their left nut for a little more.

Walter: Great.

Jesse: I'm just saying, if you ever saw your way clear to you know, you and I cooking a little more.

Walter: Get the hell off my property.

Jesse: What? I'm just saying.

Walter: Go and don't come back. Now!

Jesse: All right. You know what? Four grand. Your share from selling that batch. That's why I'm here. Yeah, that's right. I didn't smoke it all.

Scene: Doctor’s Office

Dr. Delcavoli: Non-small cell adenocarcinoma. Stage 3a, which means it's spread from the lung to the lymph nodes. There's no denying it's very serious.

Skyler: But is it curable?

Dr. Delcavoli: I prefer the word "treatable." But the treatments we have at our disposal can be very effective. Without making any promises, I can tell you that the specific course of radiation and chemotherapy I'm going to suggest has been successful. In certain cases, it prolonged patients' lives and even resulted in remission.

Walter: What about the side effects?

Dr. Delcavoli: Well, they can be mild to practically non-existent, or they can be pretty darn awful. It varies from patient to patient. Typically, there's hair loss, which begins a couple of weeks after the start of chemotherapy. You may find yourself unusually fatigued, not much energy. You won't want to get out of bed. You may lose weight due to reduced appetite and certain intestinal issues. Muscle aches and pains, gums get sore and bleed. And, of course, there's the possibility of nausea. Although, we'll prescribe an anti-emetic and try to counteract that. Possible kidney or bladder irritation. You may wind up with increased bruising and bleeding. There may be sexual side effects. Your skin may become dry and irritated.

Scene: Pinkman Residence

Mr. Pinkman: Got anything to say? What do you know about that?

Jesse: Nothing.

Mr. Pinkman: That's not going to fly this time.

Mrs. Pinkman: How many chances have we given you? How many times have we sat right here and had the same conversation over and over again where you look us in the eye and you plead ignorance, and you play on our emotions, and you tell us anything you think we want to hear just so we'll give you another chance? And it makes us feel like fools, every time. Enough, Jesse. Enough.

Mr. Pinkman: We are not going to have this in our house. We need you to leave.

Jake: Thanks for not telling on me. You think I could have it back?

Jesse: It's skunk weed anyway.

Scene: White Residence

Skyler: You know, this is actually very hopeful. Did you hear me? I said this is really very, very hopeful. Can I call them and tell them you'll start next week?

Walter: I just think that we need to discuss it a little more, that's all.

Skyler: What is there to discuss? You're going to get the best treatment and he's the best.

Walter: Well, there's the money discussion. $90,000 out of pocket. Maybe more.

Skyler: There's a way, Walt. There's financing, there's installment plans. I could always go back to work. Walt, there's always a way.

Walter: All right. Skyler, say that there is a way. And we spend all that money, and... Am I supposed to leave you with all that debt? I just don't want emotions ruling us. Maybe treatment isn't the way to go.

Walter Jr: Then why don't you just f*cking die already? Just give up and die.

Scene: Gas Station

Ken: Come on, move your ass. What do I care? Yeah, I'm not worried. I have the best f*cking attorney. I would not want to be on the other side of this one. What the hell? What are you doing? Call somebody, call the fire people. I don't believe it. You know how much I paid for that? Why is it doing this?