1x05 - Grey Matter

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Breaking Bad". Aired January 2008 - September 2013.*

Moderator: Tv_Gal13

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

To provide for his family's future after he is diagnosed with lung cancer, a chemistry genius turned high school teacher teams up with an ex-student to cook and sell the world's purest crystal meth.

1x05 - Grey Matter

Post by bunniefuu »

Scene: Job Interview

Jesse: Here's my resume. I mean, technically it says "curriculum vitae," which I think is more professional, but, you know, the same thing pretty much.

Manager: Great. But this position truly is a no-experience-necessary kind of thing.

Jesse: Well, and it doesn't really say it here, but I have a solid background in sales. I'm pretty much a self-starter, so.

Manager: That's excellent, but…

Jesse: I really feel I could be a major, major asset to your sales force.

Manager: I'm thinking there's a little misunderstanding. This isn't actually a sales job. I mean, I'd be happy to consider you for a sales position, but our agents need to be licensed, have at least two years on-the-job experience, and usually a college degree. What you would be doing is more like advertising.

Scene: Outside the Building

Badger: Hey, Jesse! Hey, man! Yo, man! What up?

Jesse: Badger?

Badger: Where you been keeping yourself? Nice duds.

Jesse: Yeah. You, too.

Badger: Thanks.

Jesse: Yo, why would you want to do this lame ass job anyway? I mean, no offense.

Badger: Because I'm on probation, yo. Gotta prove to the man I'm rehabilitated. Upstanding citizen. All that sh*t. It's really good exercise, too. Look. You can't just stand there. You have to spin the arrow. There's all these moves you have to learn, like the helicopter. See? That one's a bitch. I'm not very good at it yet.

Jesse: No, you really opened my eyes to the possibilities. Hey, anyways, thanks for the toke.

Badger: Anytime. Speaking of which, you think you could maybe hook me up with some crystal?

Jesse: Nah, I've been out of the business for a while actually now. Thinking about retiring.

Badger: What? No! That stuff you made is unbelievable.

Jesse: It was pretty awesome.

Badger: Retirement? I can't be hearing this!

Jesse: I had this partner who was helping me cook. I mean, I was doing most of the work, but he was an assh*le, so. Anyway, pseudo's getting harder and harder to come by.

Badger: I can hook you up with some pseudo. Major pseudo. I got channels, bro. We could partner up. No pressure. No pressure. Just think about it, all right? I gotta go. Yo, this way to savings! Save your dollars bills, yo!

Scene: Inside Walter’s Car

Walter: It's a stupid gift.

Skyler: No, it isn't. He'll love it.

Walter: I don't know what I was thinking. Didn't the invitation even say "no gifts"?

Skyler: Walt.

Walter: What?

Skyler: We have to go.

Walter: I know. I'm not complaining.

Skyler: Yes, you are. Look, we need this. We've been through a lot lately, okay?

Scene: Gretchen and Elliot’s House

Skyler: Guess we didn't get the beige memo.

Walter: We're okay.

Skyler: Yes, I look like I'm wearing a prom dress from 1985.

Walter: Honey, you look fine.

Skyler: Walt, this is the only thing I could find that fit me.

Walter: Would you look at that? The invitation said "no gifts."

Skyler: Oh, come on.

Employee: Sir, I'll take that for you.

Walter: Thank you.

Employee: You're welcome.

Skyler: Oh, look, there's Elliott. Let's go say hello.

Walter: Elliott.

Elliott: Walt! You made it.

Walter: Happy birthday. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Elliott: Thank you. Skyler. Oh, that's right. Great to see you. You look beautiful as always.

Skyler: Well, these days are a little more big than beautiful, but.

Elliott: Of course! Congratulations. That was such great news. Thank you. Gretchen, look who's here!

Gretchen: It's been ages. It's so good to see you. It's really good. Skyler, welcome. Congratulations.

Skyler: Thank you. It's really nice to be here.

Gretchen: When are you due?

Skyler: We're looking at about ten more weeks. Actually, we recently found out that it's a girl.

Gretchen: Congratulations. That's so wonderful. We've been thinking about it for ourselves.

Elliott: Yeah, thinking about it.

Walter: By the way, securing that patent was just amazing. I mean, the work that your company is doing, congratulations, to both of you.

Elliott: Hard work and a lot of luck. A lot of luck. Oh, well, no. Will you excuse us? We gotta say hi. Make yourselves at home. We'll catch up later.

Walter: Sure. Okay.

Elliott: So good you're here. Thank you.

Skyler: Shall we?

Farley: Walt? I thought that was you.

Walter: Farley! Long time no see.

Farley: This Walter White. Back at CalTech, you were just the master of crystallography. I remember this one time, we were stuck on this protein problem for weeks! You just breezed right in and you had one word for us, too. It was synchrotrons, yeah. They generate purer and more complete patterns than x-ray beams. Data collection takes a fraction of the time. This is the White in Gray Matter. Tell 'em, Walt.

Walter: Okay. Well, back when Elliott and I were in grad school, we came up with the name. Schwartz: black. Walter White. So, together they became Gray Matter Technologies.

Farley: Cute, huh?

Friend: So you run the company with Elliott?

Farley: Well, no. No, that's Gretchen and Elliott.

Walter: I gravitated toward education.

Friend: What university?

Elliott: It's a Stratocaster!

Friend #2: Not just any Strat. That's one of Clapton's.

Elliott: No way. "To Elliott. "Sorry about the buckle rash. Eric Clapton." Thank you. This is beautiful.

Skyler: Why is he doing this? What is he, like eight years old?

Gretchen: Here, honey.

Elliott: Thanks. Oh, this is from Walt.

Walter: God.

Skyler: It's okay.

Elliott: Yum-Good Ramen. This is what Walt and I lived on for while we were working on our thesis. They sold them down at Ralsto's in the hardware aisle, right next to the what was it?

Walter: Sterno.

Elliott: The Sterno. Yeah, 10 for $1.99. To this day, I am convinced these noodles were responsible for our success. This was our lifeblood. Where'd you find these? I thought they'd been outlawed years ago. I love it. Thank you, Walt. For the man who has everything.

Elliott: No, no. It was. You remember the fat guy, the fat guy. We used to call him "Snot Trough" because he had that thing under his...what do you call that thing?

Walter: That was Dobkins! That was the same guy who always smelled like chocolate milk. It was!

Elliott: No, no, no, no. It wasn't Dobkins. Anyway, I swear to Christ he used to iron those patches onto the elbows of his Members Only jacket because he thought it made him look more distinguished. Didn't it? No. Well, here's to Snot Trough.

Walter: To Snot Trough. Wherever you may be. God bless him. And you remember the professor who used to hate Robert Wilhelm Bunsen? Yes. All you had to do was mention the Bunsen burner and he was off on a rant. "No, he didn't invent it." You remember the waving? "He just improved it!" You know. It was easy to k*ll.

Elliott: Oh God, I miss this, Walt.

Walter: Yeah. Me, too.

Elliott: Listen, we ought to get together more often.

Walter: Skyler and I would love to have you and Gretchen over for dinner sometime.

Elliott: Sure, yeah, absolutely. But what I mean is that you and I should work together again.

Walter: Are you going to teach high school?

Elliott: No, no. Seriously. What's stopping us?

Walter: Wait a minute. Elliott, what are you? Are you asking me to come work for you at Gray Matter?

Elliott: Yeah. Why not? You'd fit right in. You're brilliant, you've got a ton of experience.

Walter: Well, I wouldn't really know where to begin. I mean God. You have no idea. I spend my days just drawing out atoms on the chalkboard and trying to get these kids to learn the periodic table.

Elliott: Look, I understand. You're a little rusty, but you're not seeing the upside here. We could really benefit from a new set of eyes. You know what it is when you've been trying to cr*ck some problem for months on end. You get tunnel vision. One guy thinking outside of the box, you may be exactly what we need.

Walter: Well, listen, Elliott, your offer is very appealing. It really is. I thank you. But there's something you should know. I have some personal issues.

Elliott: Look, there's nothing we can't work out.

Walter: Well, yeah, but it's complicated.

Elliott: We can help you. We have excellent health insurance. The best.

Scene: Driveway

Skyler: Hey, did you try those prosciutto wrapped figs? They were, like, wow! They were just I must have had about 30 of those suckers. And the seafood table. Did you see that? They had lobster tail, they had crab legs, there was, like, shrimp. Walt?

Walter: What the hell did you say to Elliott? You told him about the cancer, didn't you? Didn't you? I can't believe it.

Skyler: Okay, we were talking. He asked how you were doing, and I am sorry, but I don't have the best poker face these days where that's concerned. He knew something was wrong with you and he pressed me.

Walter: He pressed you. Come on.

Skyler: Walt! When it came right down to it, I didn't know what else to do but tell him the truth.

Walter: The truth? How about you just said "he's fine," huh? Maybe you could've just have said that? "He's fine," and done.

Skyler: I don't like the way you're talking to me.

Walter: I don't like the way you talk about my private affairs to people who are not even in our lives anymore.

Skyler: What exactly did he say to you?

Walter: He offered me a job.

Skyler: What?

Walter: Yes. Kind of like some fig leaf, you know? Some face-saving bullshit that allowed me to generously accept his charity. And then, when I turned that down, he flat-out offered to pay for my treatment. Which is exactly what you expected him to do, didn't you? Didn't you?

Skyler: No. Please. Come on. I did not put him up...Okay, what did you say? Walt?

Walter: What do you think I said?

Skyler: Why? Walt.

Scene: White Residence

Walter: You ready to go?

Walter Jr: I'm taking the bus.

Skyler: Okay bye, honey.

Scene: RV

Badger: Hey, dude, are these b*llet holes?

Jesse: No, man. Those are for, like, you know, ventilation.

Badger: Cool. Nice set-up, huh?

Jesse: Man. This is nothing, man. I used to have, like, twice as much glassware until my dumbass ex-partner drove us into a ditch and wrecked most of it.

Badger: Big ass beaker, huh?

Jesse: Wait, wait. No, that's a, yeah, that's a boiling flask. This is a beaker. Here's a Griffin beaker, here's a volumetric beaker. Here's an Erlenmeyer flask. You got…

Badger: You really know your sh*t.

Jesse: Well, it's just basic chemistry, yo. So you got something for me?

Badger: Oh, hells, yeah!

Jesse: Okay. We're in business. Right on, Badger.

Badger: Dude, check this out.

Jesse: Jesus, what the hell are you bringing that for?

Badger: Hunting. We might see javelinas.

Jesse: Are you going to help me or what? Badger!

Scene: Outside Convenience Store

Teenager: Let me see the money. Nah, I need five each. Come on, two more. Here.

Walter Jr: What about him?

Teenager: Are you kidding? He looks younger than us.

Walter Jr: Whatever.

Teenager #2: What about that guy?

Walter Jr: Nah, he looks like a businessman.

Teenager: So what?

Walter Jr: So, businessmen are always in a hurry. They're always, like, going to some meeting or something. Seriously, he's just going to say no.

Teenager: This guy. This is our guy. You're up.

Walter Jr: Why do I have to do it?

Teenager: Give me the crutches and I'll go do it.

Walter Jr: Excuse me, hey. We forgot our IDs and we were wondering if you could do us a favor and buy us a six-pack.

Cop: You know, what you're asking is illegal.

Walter Jr: No, it's not?

Cop: Yeah, it is.

Scene: Inside Hank’s Car

Cop: Guess you win the jackpot. This is not how I wanted to spend my night off. Consider this your first and last warning.

Walter Jr: Yes, sir.

Cop: You're lucky you got a good dad here.

Walter Jr: If the other guys hadn't run, I could've talked my way out of it.

Hank: Not cool, man. Not cool.

Walter Jr: What, you never tried to buy beer when you were my age?

Hank: No, I'm talking about you calling me and not your father. How do you think that will make him feel?

Skyler: I don't even know what to say to you. Just go. I'll deal with you later.

Hank: Where's Walt?

Skyler: I haven't seen him since this morning. Your guess is as good as mine.

Hank: Listen, do me a favor, all right? Don't tell him about the kid. Just a teenager trying to score some beer, you know? You know. Just growing pains. I mean, he finds out his dad's sick, he starts acting out, you know? First the pot, and then this.

Skyler: The pot?

Hank: You told me he was smoking reefer.

Marie: That's what Skyler told me. I mean, you may as well have.

Skyler: I wasn't talking about Walter, Jr. I was talking about Walt.

Marie: Excuse me?

Skyler: He admitted it. He said he liked it.

Hank: Walt? I didn't think he had it in him.

Skyler: It's like he's not himself lately. I mean, why would anyone in their right mind choose not to do treatment? Especially when it's completely paid for? Why is he doing this? You know what we need to do? What we really need to do is sit him down, all of us, and get everything out on the table. Talk it all through.

Marie: You mean an intervention?

Skyler: No, no. Just a family meeting where everyone can voice their concerns and be heard.

Badger: You are a genius, bro! This cankenstein is unreal! When we get back, I'm gonna burn that dollar bill suit 'cause we're gonna make some mad dough!

Jesse: It's not right.

Badger: What do you mean it's not right?

Jesse: It's cloudy. It's not supposed to be cloudy. That last time, it was glass.

Badger: So what? Cloudy, not cloudy, it looks good enough to me.

Jesse: "Good enough."

Badger: Yo, what are you doing? Are you out of your mind? I totally would've smoked that!

Jesse: It's not for you, it's for our customers. They're gonna demand a certain standard.

Badger: What? What are you? What?

Jesse: We'll just do it again until we get it right.

Skyler: Walt, please have a seat and join us.

Jesse: We can do better.

Badger: Don't you f*cking think about it! Three entire pounds of pseudo wasted! You know how long I had to spin that stupid sign?

Jesse: Get off me, psycho!

Badger: Helicopter, bitch! Open the door! Come back here, you bitch! I'm gonna mess you up!

Skyler: I really need to understand your thought process because clearly I don't. I feel that this decision you've made is not only not in your best interest, it's not in the best interest of our entire family.

Walter: Look, Skyler.

Skyler: Not yet. Please. I have the Talking Pillow. Everybody gets to speak their minds, remember? And then, you'll get your chance. Money has always been an issue for us, I'll give you that. But now that Elliott is more than willing to pitch in, I know, I understand that it's hard for you to accept help. Maybe it's the way you were raised. But, honey it's okay to lean on people now and again. You need this treatment, and nothing can stop you from getting it, except you.

Walter: Am I allowed to respond?

Skyler: In a minute. I think we need to go around the circle first. Hank, would you like to start?

Hank: Yeah. Okay. Well, what I'll say is…

Skyler: No, take the Talking Pillow.

Hank: All right, look, buddy. I know I don't get to tell you this enough, but I care about you a hell of a lot. This cancer thing, let's just face it. You know, you were dealt a sh*t hand. But sometimes your luck can change. I mean, I can't tell you how many times I was, you know, I started with a sh*t hand and I ended up with a full house. Okay? I mean, the key is, you gotta hang in there. Man, you gotta keep placing your bets. Keep placing your bets.

Marie: Hank, what the hell are you saying?

Skyler: Please, Marie, let him talk. That's what we're here to do. Please. Go on, Hank.

Hank: Right, well, look at it this way, okay? It's the bottom of the 9th. Bases are loaded. You're up. But you got a bum arm. Right? There's no frickin' way you're gonna hit a homer. So you can either let the pinch hitter take the bat, or you can hold onto your pride and lose the game. Get what I'm saying?

Walter: No.

Hank: You got your pride, man. I get it. Okay? I get it. If this Daddy Warbucks wants to chip in, I'm with your old lady on this one. I say take the money and run, you know? Somebody wanna to take this thing? Here.

Skyler: Yes, Walter Jr, I'm sure you have about a million things to say, probably, and now is your chance. Go ahead. Just let it all out.

Walter Jr: This is bullshit.

Walter: Hey, come on.

Skyler: It's all right. Talk. Tell your dad how you feel.

Walter Jr: I'm pissed off.

Skyler: Tell him.

Walter Jr: I'm pissed off, 'cause you're being, you're a p*ssy. You're, like, ready to give up. What if you gave up on me, huh? This here? All the stuff I've been through, and you're scared of a little chemotherapy?

Marie: Me, personally? I think you should do whatever you want to do.

Skyler: What?

Marie: You told us to be honest about our feelings. Walt's the one with cancer. It's his decision. It's not up to any of us.

Skyler: Why in the hell would you do this?

Marie: I wasn't planning on agreeing with Walt. But after sitting here and listening to you all talk about his future like he has no say in it.

Skyler: He's not gonna have a future if he doesn't get treatment.

Marie: I am a medical professional. I x-ray people in treatment every day. I see them every day, and you know what? Some of them are absolutely miserable.

Skyler: Marie.

Marie: I'm sorry, but it's true. And some of them don't wanna spend their last weeks or months being picked at by doctors. But they got talked into it by their families.

Hank: Could I get the pillow back? I agree with Marie on that. What? Maybe Walt wants to die like a man.

Skyler: I don't want him to die at all! That's the whole point of this. So either help, or leave!

Marie: Skyler, I just wanted to do you the courtesy of giving you my honest opinion.

Skyler: You know, Marie, this is not a debate club. This is my husband's life.

Marie: I make one simple observation.

Skyler: My husband's life we're talking about!

Hank: Ladies. Come on.

Skyler: How dare you?

Walter Jr: This is so stupid.

Walter: All right, I've got the Talking Pillow now. Okay? We all, in this room, we love each other. We want what's best for each other, and I know that. I am very thankful for that. But what I want, what I need, is a choice.

Skyler: What does that mean?

Walter: Sometimes, I feel like I never actually make any of my own. Choices, I mean. My entire life, it just seems I never you know, had a real say about any of it. Now this last one, cancer all I have left is how I choose to approach this.

Skyler: Then make the right choice, Walt. You're not the only one it affects. What about your son? Don't you wanna see your daughter grow up?

Walter: Of course, I do. Skyler, you've read the statistics. These doctors, talking about surviving. One year, two years, like it's the only thing that matters. But what good is it, to just survive if I am too sick to work, to enjoy a meal, to make love? For what time I have left, I want to live in my own house. I want to sleep in my own bed. I don't wanna choke down 30 or 40 pills every single day, lose my hair, and lie around, too tired to get up and so nauseated that I can't even move my head. And you cleaning up after me? Me, with some dead man, some artificially alive, just marking time? No. No. And that's how you would remember me. That's the worst part. So that is my thought process, Skyler. I'm sorry. I just, I choose not to do it.

Scene: White Residence (Morning After)

Walter: All right.

Skyler: All right what?

Walter: I'll do the treatment. It's gonna be okay.

Scene: Waiting Room

Skyler: The lady from the billing office said they usually bill the insurance company directly, but since our HMO is not paying for it, we can pay up front with a credit card.

Walter: Good.

Skyler: And then Elliott will send a check.

Walter: I will take care of it.

Nurse: Walter White?

Walter: Yes.

Skyler: Okay. See you in a minute.

Scene: Inside Walter’s Car

Walter: Elliott.

Gretchen: Walt, it's Gretchen.

Walter: Oh, hey. Hey, Gretchen. How are you? You know, it was really great seeing you two the other day. What a party.

Gretchen: Elliott told me about the cancer. I'm so sorry.

Walter: Well, you know, it is what it is, I guess.

Gretchen: I don't know what to say except I'm always here for you. Both of us are. We wanted you to know that.

Walter: Yeah, well, thank you.

Gretchen: Walt, Elliott's told me he had offered to pay for the treatment. You have to accept. That money, as far as we're both concerned, that belongs to you. Even the name of our company, it's half yours. Walt Is this about you and me?

Walter: Gretchen, I really appreciate the offer. I do. But we're fine. As it turns out, the insurance came through after all. So I am covered. Well, anyway, I really appreciate it. Thank you.

Gretchen: Good, that's good news.

Walter: You know, that really was a great party.

Gretchen: Keep in touch, okay?

Walter: Sure. Sure. Thank you for calling.

Scene: Jesse’s House

Jesse: Yo!

Walter: You wanna cook?