2x04 - Down

Episode transcripts for the TV show "Breaking Bad". Aired January 2008 - September 2013.*

Moderator: Tv_Gal13

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

To provide for his family's future after he is diagnosed with lung cancer, a chemistry genius turned high school teacher teams up with an ex-student to cook and sell the world's purest crystal meth.

2x04 - Down

Post by bunniefuu »

Scene: Convenience Store

Homeless Man: Captain America. What's up, brother?

Jesse: Hey, bro.

Jesse: This is stupid.

Walter: You got a better idea?

Jesse: Okay, fine. Whatever. So when do we, you know?

Walter: We don't, for now. No cooking until things settle down.

Jesse: Settle down? I thought you're the one that said nothing's changed.

Walter: Look, I just put my family through an ordeal that they're just now starting to accept, okay? I can't...ah, that's too expensive. Look, I can't leave my house for more than 20 minutes without my wife worrying. I need time to mend fences.

Jesse: So while you're fixing fences, what about me, huh? Your A-hole brother-in-law took all my money.

Walter: That's $600.

Jesse: What about the rest?

Walter: Rest of what?

Jesse: Half your money's mine. You know, 50/50 partners. That's your business motto.

Walter: Meaning what, exactly? That I suffer for your carelessness?

Jesse: You're the one who wanted to work with Tuco. If it weren't for that, none of this would've happened.

Walter: Just be cool. We'll talk about this later, okay? As for now, no contact. Understood? Where are you going? I leave first.

Scene: White Residence

Skyler: Walt?

Walter: In the kitchen.

Walter Jr: I didn't know you were allowed to touch the stove.

Walter: Hilarious, Groucho. Go on, grab a seat. Juice is on the table. Good morning, honey.

Walter Jr: Hey, Mom. Dad's cooking breakfast.
Walter: But don't worry. I'm also doing all the dishes. Nice? Follow me. There's also orange juice and grapefruit juice, which, personally, as you know, I've never been a fan of. But considering all the polyphenols and the albuminoids, can't hurt.

Skyler: You didn't have to do this.

Walter: I wanted to. Grapefruit juice?

Walter Jr: Yes, please. Thanks.

Walter: There you go. Honey?

Skyler: I'll stick with orange, thank you.

Walter: All right. Dig in, dig in. Pancakes are not getting hotter.

Walter: All right. Got one. Steely Dan.

Walter Jr: No.

Walter: Yes, absolutely. No, in terms of pure musicianship, I would put them up against any current band you could name.

Walter Jr: You wouldn't know any current bands.

Walter: That's besides the point.

Skyler: Have a good day, honey.

Walter Jr: You too.

Walter: Boz Scaggs. There's another one.

Walter Jr: Whoever they are. Thanks for breakfast.

Walter: You're welcome. Tell Louis to drive carefully, will you?

Walter Jr: All right.

Walter: Our son doesn't know who Boz Scaggs is. We have failed as parents.

Skyler: Come to think of it, I barely know who Boz Scaggs is.

Walter: Stop it.

Skyler: Give me your plate.
Walter: I'll get it. I'll get it. Hey, listen, in the calendar section, all week long, there's a fiction writer's seminar at UNM. And, you know, probably talking about how to get published and that sort of thing. You know, so, anyway, I thought maybe you might I mean, I'll go with you if you like. And I was thinking about what you asked me the other night. You know, you were wondering if I had a second cell phone. And, well, I've been thinking about that a lot, and I think what you heard was my cell phone alarm going off. I've been using it a lot as a medication reminder to well, remind me to take my medication. And the weird thing is that the alarm sound is almost exactly the same as the regular phone ring, which is really a poor design, if you ask me. But I think that was probably it. I tried to go in and change it to a different sound, other than the phone ring, but they over complicate these things. Anyway, it was probably just as well that I lost it. There's got to be a new one on the market by now. You know, if we do this thing at UNM, maybe on the way home, we can stop by, and I can get a new cell phone. Skyler?

Scene: Law Firm

Lawyer: Ready?

Jesse: Yo, for what might help. Not another intervention.

Lawyer: Jesse Bruce Pinkman, pursuant to Section 47-8-13 of the New Mexico Real Property Code, you are hereby given notice to vacate the premises listed as 9809 Margo, Albuquerque, 87104.

Jesse: Wait. What? You're kicking me out of my own house?

Mr. Pinkman: It's your aunt Ginny's house.

Jesse: She gave it to me.

Mr. Pinkman: She never gave it to you, Jesse.

Lawyer: You were allowed residentiary privileges. Your parents have always been the property owners.

Jesse: Look, we talked about this, okay? I'd sell the house, we'd split it 50/50. That was the deal. What the hell happened?

Mr. Pinkman: What happened is you're a speed manufacturer.

Jesse: No, I'm not. What?

Mrs. Pinkman: A DEA agent came looking for you, Jesse. He came to our front door.

Jesse: Because I've actually been helping them, which I could get into a lot of trouble for telling you, so you're welcome.

Mrs. Pinkman: I saw your basement. I was worried, so I went over there and I let myself in, and I found your laboratory.

Jesse: You guys have your own key?

Lawyer: Manufacture of a Schedule II controlled substance is a second-degree felony. Under federal asset seizure, the government can take the entire house.

Jesse: It's not even there anymore. I cleaned it all out.

Mr. Pinkman: Son, we can't stop you from ruining your life, but you will not drag us down with you.

Lawyer: Vacate the house in 72 hours. Otherwise, your parents have authorized me to contact the authorities. Is that clear? Do you have any questions for us? Three days, Mr. Pinkman.

Mr. Pinkman: Come on.

Walter: I fixed the garage door.

Skyler: Great.

Walter: One track was bent. That's why it was bouncing. Where were you today?

Skyler: Out.

Walter: Is everything okay?

Skyler: Everything's fine.

Walter: For what it's worth, I was thinking about going back to those meetings, the cancer support group.

Skyler: I think that's good.

Walter: Yeah, that's good. You were right on the money about that. It's good to, you know, talk about things.

Skyler: I think that's great.

Scene: Jesse’s House

Mrs. Pinkman: Jesse. Jesse. Hey, Jesse. You don't answer your phone?

Jesse: No, I've just been pretty busy. How'd you...oh, right, you have that key. Hey, listen. So I've been thinking a lot about our conversation we had the other day, and I completely get why Dad totally tweaked off on me like that and...

Mrs. Pinkman: It's not just your father, Jesse.

Jesse: I know. I know. I'm just saying it's a really, really big wake-up call for me, which is why I wanted to talk to you. I've been thinking real seriously about business school, actually, and you can do the whole thing from your computer now, and no, Mom, Mom. Hey, this is good. You know, we're talking, starting a dialogue.

Mrs. Pinkman: The time for talking has passed, Jesse.

Jesse: Hey! Hey! What the hell, yo? I thought it was just a wake-up call.

Mrs. Pinkman: We are putting it in storage. When you decide to grow up, you can have it back.

Jesse: Why don't you grow up, Mom? Ginny wanted me here. I was the one who took care of her. I took her to her appointments and made her lunch every day. I earned this!

Mrs. Pinkman: You did not make her lunch every day.

Jesse: What did you do, huh? She's lying there dying, and where the hell are you?

Mrs. Pinkman: Don't start with me.

Jesse: Now what, you've decided to, I don't know, make your eldest son homeless? Wow! Great family, Mom!

Mrs. Pinkman: Why are you like this? Why? You have two sets of keys and the padlock to the garage. Leave them on the kitchen counter when you leave.

Jesse: No, Mom! Mom! Where am I supposed to go?

Mrs. Pinkman: I don't know, sweetheart. But please turn your life around.

Jesse: Yeah, this is gonna help big time with that! Bitch!

Louis: Oh, hey, Mr. White.

Walter: That's the way. Don't just sit out there honking. Come in and say hello. We've got omelets. You want an omelet?

Louis: No, I'm good.

Walter: New Mexican Christmas style, red and green chilies.

Louis: No. Thank you, though. Flynn and me gotta get going.

Walter: Who's Flynn?

Louis: Flynn. He's your...

Walter: Flynn?

Walter Jr: Yeah, so?

Walter: So? Nothing.

Walter Jr: You ready?

Walter: Like it.

Louis: Bye, Mr. White.

Walter: Flynn? You know about this Flynn thing? As in what, Errol?

Skyler: I don't know. It's what he likes to be called these days.

Walter: What's wrong with Walter Jr?

Skyler: Don't take it personally. He wants his own identity.

Walter: You think he told Louis about me? About the blackout?

Skyler: Louis is his friend, Walt, and your disappearance upset him.

Walter: I made omelets.

Skyler: I'm going out, but thanks, though.

Walter: Where are you going?

Skyler: Can you get the phone, please?

Walter: Yeah. Absolutely. White residence.

Jesse: Yo, it's me. Is this a good time?

Walter: What part of "no contact" didn't you understand?

Jesse: I know but there's a problem.

Walter: I don't care. We agreed. No amount of pay-per-view channels is gonna make any difference. Honey, we're happy with our cable provider, right? We're happy. Skyler, where are you going? Can you at least tell me that?

Skyler: Out. Should probably get that, Walt. I'll be back in a few hours.

Walter: What?

Jesse: Yo, I get I shouldn't call, but I'm in a situation over here, and I need my money.

Walter: I just gave you $600.

Jesse: Yeah, and thanks, Daddy Warbucks, but that was before my housing situation went completely testicular on me, okay?

Walter: You smoked the entire 600, didn't you.

Jesse: What? No!

Walter: Jesse.

Jesse: No!

Walter: Look, Jesse, your problems are just that. Your problems. No contact. Do not call here ever. When the moment is right, I will call.

Jesse: Mr. White, you're not listening! They're kicking me out of my house!

Walter: You son of a bitch.

Scene: Jesse’s House

Jesse: Ow, son of a bitch! Thank you. Thank you so much. Thanks, man! Hey, guy! You forgot something! You forgot your ice trays! You're gonna need the ice trays! Forgot something here! Take this!

Scene: Paul’s House

Jesse: (singing) Black is the color but beauty is the game. The beasties come to get me but I don’t feel the pain. Fallacies, fallacies, fallacies, fallacies, fallacies, fallacies, fallacies, fallacies!

Paul: Hold on, buddy.

Jesse: Yo, we should get TwaughtHammer up and running again, yo. I'm serious.

Paul: I know. That sounded tight.

Jesse: Hey, thanks again, P. I made sure this stock knock exterminator put me on his speed dial. Two nights tops.

Paul: You still staying at your aunt's on Morgo?

Jesse: Yeah. I'm thinking of moving. Nob Hill, probably.

Paul: Jesse-matic, living the dream. Okay, buddy, listen. You're gonna eat your carrots?

Ben: Too hot.

Paul: No, buddy. Remember? Come on. Yes. Listen, hey, talk to me, man. Are you still having mad relations out there? You can talk to me. I won't hate a player.

Jesse: I can't lie. It's pretty hectic out there female-wise.

Paul: Damn. I'm hating, man.

Jesse: See, that's why we need to get the Hammer up and running, you know? Get you out of the house.

Paul: How awesome would that be? Come on. Look. What? I cut all the green parts off like you. Just eat them. Please?

Jesse: We should do this, you know? Track down Chivo and Anthony and demo up. Get back in the scene.

Paul: I'm sorry, man. Just hold on one second, all right? Okay, listen. How about you take a bite of your sandwich, and then you take...Mommy's home! Hi.

Wife: Hello.

Paul: Hey, honey, you remember Jesse Pinkman? His house is getting bug bombed, and I said he could crash a few nights.

Wife: Hey, Jesse.

Jesse: Hey.

Wife: Paul, could you help me in the bedroom with these?

Paul: Sure.

Jesse: Yeah, I used to not like carrots, too.

Wife: Hey, Ben, I think it's someone's nap time. Come on.

Paul: Man, dude, you're gonna k*ll me. I totally spaced that the in-laws are crashing this weekend. You got other people to call?

Jesse: No, that's cool. I got tons of people. Yo, in-laws? Sucks to be you, P.

Paul: Yeah, I know, huh? Dude, here. See you, man. It's good to see you.

Scene: Payphone

Jesse: Look, I'm asking to crash three, maybe four nights. I already called Badger, all right? I called everyone. I need a solid here, bro. Yeah, whatever. All right. All right. How about this? What if it's just for tonight? Wait. No, you cannot be serious. You cannot be serious!

Homeless Man: Someone took your bike, man. Not cool.

Walter Jr: Morning.

Walter: Morning.

Walter Jr: Where did Mom go?

Walter: Out.

Walter Jr: Where's breakfast?

Walter: Let's go do something.

Walter Jr: Like what?

Walter: Something fun.

Scene: Empty Parking Lot

Walter: All right, ready? Let's put it in gear. Is your foot on the...okay. Good.

Walter Jr: Yeah. I got it.

Walter: Good. Yes. Nice and smooth. Good. Just like that. Good. I like the hands at 10 and 2. Very nice. Okay, let's slow down here to a stop in preparation for a left-hand turn. All right. You might want to go easier on the brake.

Walter Jr: Sorry about that.

Walter: That's all right. You're doing fine. Much better than last time, huh?

Walter Jr: Louis has been helping me.

Walter: Has he? Good. Good. Okay. Don't forget the turn indicator. Good. I'll stop talking. You know what you're doing. And let's make that left-hand turn. Nice and smooth. Very nice. Right hand. Good. Good. Okay. Are you using both feet?

Walter Jr: Yeah.

Walter: No. Wait. Wait. No, Walt. You can't do that. You can't use one foot on each pedal.

Walter Jr: Why not?

Walter: Because you can't. Stop, Walt. Okay? All right.

Walter Jr: Dad, this is way easier.

Walter: Come on, there's the easy way, and then there's the right way, right? So let's just try it again, right foot only. All right. Okay? Okay, just you don't have to, okay. All right. That's fine. Just that's okay. Just try it again. Here we go. Let's just try it again. Go just a little easier. Good. Great. That was better. See? Right? Better? Right. The gas, the brake, the gas, the brake.

Walter Jr: I can't do this. My legs don't work that way.

Walter: Your legs are fine. You just have to stick with it. Don't set limits for yourself, Walt. You're all right. We'll get this. I promise. Now let's just try again. All right? All right. Here we go. Well, you don't need to just take off, but all right, here we go. Slow it down just a little bit. All right, we have a turn coming up here, so prepare to apply the brakes. Prepare, Walt, for the brakes. The brakes, the brakes.

Walter Jr: I'm braking!

Walter: You're using both feet again.

Walter Jr: It's not stopping.

Walter: That's the gas. Use the brakes. Brake. That's one way to stop.

Walter Jr: I told you.

Walter: Flynn.

Scene: RV

Clovis: Hands up, assh*le! So help me, I will spread you.

Jesse: No, please, no, all right? It's me, okay? It's Jesse. All right? Look, this is my RV. You towed it. Your cousin Badger, remember?

Clovis: What the hell you doing here? You smell like sh*t.

Jesse: It's a long story.

Clovis: So I fixed up your felonious rolling laboratory here. $750 for the repair. Make it a grand, counting the toilet, plus the $500 you already owe me, and you're good to drive on out of here to someplace far away, upwind.

Jesse: Here's the thing. I can't pay you today. But I can pay you this week, all right? $1,750? We'll make it $1,750 for, like interest.

Clovis: I thought your word was your bond.

Jesse: It totally is. Definitely. I just don't have the money at this particular moment. But I will, soon.

Clovis: Here's my counter-offer. I kick you out. I take payment from your inventory. I know a guy that'll pay a premium for this kind of crap.

Jesse: All right. 2 grand. Two days, 2 grand. That's totally fair. Just don't take my cook stuff. All right? That's all I got left. Please, all right? I really God, I really need a break here.

Scene: Outside Gate

Jesse: Clovis, come on.

Clovis: I don't know. There's a bunch of stuff in there. There's something called methylamine. Me Meth However the hell you pronounce it. Methylamine. I don't know. I banged on it. It sounds pretty full to me. Holy sh*t. How much?

Walter: Skyler. Louis took Walt to school. I was thinking maybe this would be a good time to talk. I dreamt that I owned an antique bicycle repair shop. In Ireland. Weird.

Skyler: Sounds weird.

Walter: I wanted to apologize for everything. My desire for privacy. My emotional unavailability. Having cancer doesn't excuse all that. I haven't been a good partner to you, and for that I'm very sorry. I love you. And I love this family. And I just want to make sure that we don't lose contact.

Skyler: Thank you. I agree. Is that it?

Walter: God. God, how long are you going to do this?

Skyler: Do what?

Walter: This. Not talking to me. Going out all day and refusing to tell me where. You are obviously angry with me about something, so let's talk about it. God. I feel like you're upset with me because you think that I'm up to something.

Skyler: Like what?

Walter: I have no idea, Skyler. What, that I'm having an affair? Is that it? Is that what you think? Is that why you asked me about some other phone? Because you think that I'm being unfaithful?

Skyler: I don't know.

Walter: So ask me.

Skyler: Why? Would you even tell me?

Walter: Yes. I would. Of course I would. And no. I'm not. I'm not having an affair, okay? Now, what do I do to prove that to you? Swear an oath? My right hand to God. I'm not having an affair.

Skyler: I heard you, Walt. You're not having an affair. Congratulations.

Walter: No, you know what? Congratulations to you, Skyler. Great job. What is this? What do I have to do? I'm trying to talk to you, and you...

Skyler: Okay, so talk, Walt! Shut up and say something that isn't complete bullshit. You want to know what you have to do? You have to tell me what's really going on right now. Today. No more excuses. No more apologies. No more of these obvious, desperate breakfasts. You don't want to lose contact with me, Walt? Good. Then tell me. Now.

Walter: Tell you what? What is it you want me to tell you? I don't know. We're not done here. Do you know what I've done for this family?

Scene: RV

Jesse: Yo, I'm really sorry, okay?

Walter: What is wrong with you? Why are you blue? Jesus.

Jesse: I'm sorry. Let's just say it starts with my parents being greedy kleptomaniac douche bags.

Walter: Are you actually this stupid?

Jesse: No, look. I know this isn't optimal...

Walter: To come to my house and park on my street, driving this vehicle. What the hell is wrong with you? I'm really asking.

Jesse: Nothing. I'm sorry. I just...

Walter: What if Skyler had seen you? What then? What was the plan then, genius?

Jesse: I don't know.

Walter: You know why you don't know? Because you don't think. That's why. You don't think. You never figured out how to think.

Jesse: I said I was sorry. I just need my half of the money, and I will go.

Walter: Your half? There is no “your half” of the money! There is only my all of it! Do you understand? Why should I be penalized because of your sloppiness?

Jesse: Look, that is completely uncool, all right? We agreed, 50/50 partners.

Walter: Partners in what? What exactly do you do here? I've been meaning to ask because I'm the producer, right? I cook. But from what I can tell, you are just a drug addict. You are a pathetic junkie, too stupid to understand and follow simple rudimentary instructions. Too stupid to...

Walter: Try not to touch anything. Want some breakfast?