01x02 - Mother and Child reunion Part2

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

01x02 - Mother and Child reunion Part2

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on Degrassi…

[Emma’s room]

(Manny’s reading Emma Jordan’s e-mail)

Manny: “Emma, you saved my heart and my project. Love you, Jordan.”

Emma: Love you. (They squeal)

[Playground.]

Manny: Guys, it’s cool. Jordan’s 16. He’s coming here on a school trip.

J.T.: School trip? It’s summer.

[Emma’s room]

Emma: U hacked my e-mail? Haven’t you ever heard of privacy?

Spike: Relax, I couldn’t hack my way out of a paper bag. But I can tell when my daughter’s getting interested in boys.

[Degrassi’s Media Immersion Lab]

Emma: And he wants to meet me. Tomorrow.

[Stairway in the Nelson House.]

Caitlin: I mean, do u like him?

Emma: Yeah, we get along so great. Sometimes, it’s like he can read into my soul.

Caitlin: Well, sometimes, you just have to take a chance…

[Emma’s room]

(She writes Jordan an e-mail about meeting and sends it)

Emma: Go for it.

Theme song

[Nelson House - Downstairs]

Emma: Mom, you’re gonna be so late.

Spike: Too late. I am late.

Emma: Wow, you look incredible.

Spike: You sure?

Emma: Seriously. It’s kinda scary.

Spike: I feel like I’m going to the prom I never got to go to. Oh, that sounds so lame.

(Spike grabs her car keys off the table. Emma waves her purse in the air.)

Spike: You really want me out of here, don’t you? Is there something you’re not telling me?

Emma: Yeah, Manny and I are going to watch TV all night. We might even eat popcorn, with real butter. Very shocking.

Spike: Ok, smart mouth. (Takes the hat off Emma’s head) Wish me luck. (Kisses Emma’s head) Bye. (Spike leaves)

(Emma makes sure she’s gone and runs upstairs.)

[Degrassi]

(People are starting to arrive for the reunion. Principal Raditich greets them.)

[Inside Degrassi.]

Caitlin: Hey.

Archie: How’s it going? (Gives her a kiss on the cheek.) (To Keith) Welcome (They shake hands.) Why doesn’t Ashley here give a tour of the new and improved Degrassi? (To Caitlin) And I’ll hook up with you right before the speeches, ok?

Caitlin: Ok.

Keith: What, we have to take a tour? How about I go get us some drinks?

Caitlin: Ok.

[Classroom]

Terri: The media immersion program is very unique to our school. We have over 50 high- speed computers with internet access and other educational programs. We also have the most up to date software all part of the renovations planned by Mr. Raditch.

(Caitlin is walking around as Terri talks. She turns around and sees Joey. He waves at her. She waves back.)

[Emma’s room]

(She’s talking to Manny on the phone (It goes back and forth between showing Emma and Manny on- screen))

Manny: So…have you made your mind?

Emma: Yea, I’m not going.

Manny: Really? I’m so relived.

Emma: Yeah. Maybe I’ll meet him when I’m older, right?

Manny: Hey, absolutely. Want me to come over?

Emma; Um…There’s this show on tonight about the wildlife refuge and I really wanna watch it. You know, for Jordan.

Manny: I could help you research.

Emma: It’s ok. I really need to concentrate.

Manny; Oh, ok.

Emma: It’s about to start, so I’ll call you tomorrow, ok?

Manny: K.

Emma: Bye.

(They hang up.)

[Degrassi hallway.]

Ashley: Here we have our history room to the right, our geography room to the left, and the English department up ahead.

Joey: (To Caitlin) What I really wanted to say was that I’m really sorry about last night. It wasn’t the way I pictured seeing you again after all these years.

Caitlin: Me neither.

Joey: Can we just say the past is the past, and that the present is now the past, and the future, is, uh, I don’t know what I’m saying. I’m trying to say I want us to be friends again, ok?

Caitlin: Me too.

Joey: Good.

Caitlin: Joey, stay. Just hang out. Come on, no pressure. It won’t be a reunion without you.

(A woman named Allison comes up to them.)

Allison: Oh my god! Caitlin Ryan! Joey Jeremiah!

Caitlin: Allison.

Joey: Hi.

Caitlin: Wow. It’s been…

Allison: Ages. (To Caitlin) But I see you every week on that show. What’s it called? (Caitlin goes to speak, but Allison keeps talking.) Oh and you. Your commercial.

Joey: Yeah, I know. It’s totally cheese.

Allison: No, Joey, it’s sexy. The way you rip off your shirt. Almost made me want to buy a car.

Joey: Oh yeah?

Allison: Well, can I buy you a drink instead?

Caitlin: I think they’re free.

Allison: Oh, come on, for old times sake.

Joey: I’ll catch up to you later?

Caitlin: Bye.

[Hotel]

(Emma gets out of a cab and walk into the hotel where she will meet Jordan)

Recording: Please record your message now.

Emma: Hi, Jordan. This is Emma. I know I’m a little early so I guess I’ll wait down here. But I’m wearing….you know what I look like. Okay I guess I’ll see you soon. (Hangs up the phone)

[Toby’s House]

Jeff: Toby, you have a visitor.

(Manny walks in the room.)

J.T.: Manny, what’s up?

Manny: I’ve got a bad feeling. I went by Emma’s. Not there. I tried her cell. Didn’t pick up.

J.T.: So…?

Manny: So…she said she was staying home tonight, to watch a show on wildlife refuge. It’s not on. I checked.

Toby: Well, she didn’t go meet that Jordan guy, did she?

Manny: I have no idea. But, she was acting really weird.

Toby: So, this girl from BC, she meets this guy on-line, they hit it off, she goes to meet him, they days later they find her dead, like in pieces.

J.T.: That was some psycho. Emma’s way too smart for that. She gets like practically straight A’s.

Toby: So? This isn’t school. Where would they go?

J.T.: Well, we can’t call her, we can’t read her e-mail.

Toby: Why not?

[Degrassi]

(Joey is carrying drinks. He hears Keith talking with Allison. He stops to listen.)

Keith: You know that better than me, right? You went to high school. It’s just, Katie is really pushing this marriage thing, and I’m about to hit it big down in LA, and so her career would have to take the back seat, you know, and I don’t think that’s fair. To her.

Allison: I completely understand. I mean, you’re an artist. You need to be free. Open to, uh, new experiences. I’d love to come visit you.

Keith: That’d be great. I could take you out, show you around.

[Hotel]

(Emma is sitting in a chair, waiting for Jordan. A guy walls by with pizza. He stops when he sees Emma. Little does she know, that is Jordan.)

Jordan: Wait, You’re not Emma, are you?

Emma: Who are you?

Jordan: My name’s Mr. Nightstrom. I’m a teacher with a school trip. One of my students is supposed to be meeting a girl. Are you Emma?

Emma: Yea.

Jordan: (as she gets up) Oh, great. I’m Jordan’s teacher. Don’t tell him that I told you this, but he is so excited to meet you.

Emma: So am I. I mean, to meet him.

Jordan: Well, come on up. We’re just about to have some dinner. If you’d rather wait here, I can send Jordan down after he eats. But, he did want you to sign his petition.

Emma: He brought it with him?

Jordan: All the way from Yellowknife.

[Emma’s Room]

(Toby, J.T., and Manny are trying to read her e-mail to find out where she is. They’re trying to figure out her password.)

Toby: What’s her mom’s maiden name?

Manny: Nelson. Same as Emma.

(He tries it. It doesn’t work.)

Toby: Okay that’s not it. Does she have a dog? A fish? Anything? Ah, here we go. Secret question: What’s mom’s favorite rock band?

[Hotel Hallway]

(Emma and Jordan are walking to his room.)

Jordan: Next week, he’s going to be sending the petition off to the United Nations.

Emma: Wow. That’s incredible.

Jordan: Jordan’s a pretty impressive kid. After you. (Emma puts the key in and they go in.)

[Hotel room.]

Jordan: (knocks on a door) Hey, guys! Pizza’s here! We’re going to be making a video journal of this trip. It’s a really big deal for these guys to be coming here (the camera focuses on Jordan’s video camera as he talks for a second) Well, there’s no use letting this get cold (Opens the pizza box and takes out a slice). The guys are going to be back in here any minute. So Jordan’s talks about you all the time. I hear you’re a fellow hiker? I take the guys hiking around Yellowknife sometimes. There’s really some amazing trails there. What’s the matter, you don’t like mushrooms?

Emma: No, I’m not hungry. You know what? I think I left my bad downstairs. I’m just gonna go see if it’s there.

(Emma starts to leave.)

Jordan: Emma, your bag’s right here.

(She tries to leave, but the door is locked. She runs into the bathroom.)

Jordan: What’s going on?

Emma: You’re Jordan, aren’t you?

[The Degrassi Reunion- The gym]

Mr. Raditch: Give a big hand to Degrassi’s own environmental crusader, Caitlin Ryan.

(Everyone claps as Caitlin approaches the podium on the stage to give her speech.)

Caitlin: Wow. This is amazing. Seeing you all here, together again. You know, I was afraid to come here. Afraid that nothing would compare with our memories of this place. Or that we’d spend tonight rehashing old mistakes, you know, comparing ourselves…

Keith: She’s pretty good, isn’t she?

Joey: Some of us think so. Some of us aren’t too sure, are they Keith?

Keith: Excuse me?

Joey: Hey, Allison, are you planning on going to Los Angles before or after he breaks up with Caitlin?

Keith: Ok, your BI- polar jealous thing has got a little out of hand.

Joey: Excuse me? What kind of loser comes to his fiancés high school reunion and tells a stranger he’s going to break up with her when he makes it big?

Keith: What, you were eavesdropping? That is so un cool.

Joey: Un cool?

Keith: And so none of your business.

Joey: Hey, she’s my friend. I’ll make it my business. Whether you tell her or I will.

Keith: just relax, Joey. (Pats Joey’s face)

Caitlin: So, a toast…

(As she talks, the talk between Joey and Keith was going on. Now, they get up and start fighting. Keith punches Joey.)

Keith: Like that, Joey?

(They keep fighting.)

Keith: Joey…

(Caitlin goes over to them.)

Keith: Come on. (His phone starts ringing)

Joey: (Joey grabs the phone) Is this what you want? Huh? Is this more important to you? Take it.

Caitlin: What the hell is going on?

Keith: This psycho just came running at me with all this crap about, uh…

Joey: Just tell her before it’s too late.

Keith: Katie, there’s nothing going on here. He’s insane, he’s jealous.

Caitlin: Tell me what?

Allison: So he has doubts about getting married. Who doesn’t?

Caitlin: You don’t wanna marry me, Keith?

(She leaves.)

Mr. Raditch: Uh, music. Everyone, let’s dance.
[Hotel Room.]

(It goes back and forth between Emma and Jordan talking, showing her in the bathroom and him outside the door.)

Jordan: I didn’t tell you my real age. I thought you’d stop writing me.

Emma: I just… I wanna go home.

Jordan: Ok, but, you can’t go home while you’re locked in the bathroom. Emma, please. The last thing I want is to scare you. So, I tell you what, I’m gonna go down to the lobby. You can leave or you can stay if you want, just to talk. It’s up to you.

(Un-locks the door and opens and closes it, to make Emma think he left.)

[Bathroom in Degrassi]

(Caitlin is helping Joey clean himself up.)

Caitlin: (first a close up of her holding the ring, then it shows her talking to Joey) Bring back any memories? You know what? I’m relived. As bizarre as that may sound.

Joey: Doesn’t sound that strange.

Caitlin: I mean, here I am, practically turning 30, right? Never having a relationship lasting longer than a few months. And then- because I’m always working. I meet Keith, and he’s not always such an ass.

Joey: Could have fooled me.

Caitlin: And then, when it does last longer than a few months, well…

Joey: You ask him to marry you.

Caitlin: I thought it could work. He’s so not The ONE. I mean, it’s so obvious. I gave Emma relationship advice last night. I am such a fraud.

Joey: No, no, Caitlin. You’re not a fraud. You’re one of the most trusting caring people I know. You could never be a fraud.

Caitlin: Joey, with Julia, how did you know that it was right?

Joey: (Goes to stand next to Caitlin) I loved that she called me Joe. Her hair, it smelled like rain. And she always, always made me laugh.

Caitlin: I’m sorry.

Joey: No, no, no, don’t be. I’m not. I was lucky.

Caitlin: Yeah, you were.

[Emma’s room]

(Her friends are still trying to find out her password.)

Toby: There. (Points to an old picture of Spike) A picture of her mom. What does her t-shirt say?

J.T.: Who were the pogues?

Manny: Come on, guys. Emma wouldn’t make her password that easy.

(Toby tries it and they get in.)

Toby: If I can do it, so can Jordan. Sorry, Emma, we’re going in.

[Hotel Room]

(Emma opens the door, and checks if Jordan is there. She doesn’t see him, so she goes to the door to leave. The door is locked, so she un-locks it. When she opens it, Jordan slams it closed.)

Jordan: One noise and I tape your mouth. I don’t think you’d want that.

[Emma’s room]

(Her friends are looking through her e-mail.)

Manny: I don’t get it.

Toby: See? Look here. You and Emma rent Chicken Run. The next day, she mentions it in an e-mail to you.

Manny; So?

Toby: Jordan’s next e-mail?

J.T.; He likes Chicken Run, too. Big deal.

Toby: Coincidence, right? The next day, Emma e-mails you some garbage about how great fresh air is. Jordan’s next e-mail?

Manny: “I love hiking. Being out in the fresh air makes me feel so free.”

Toby: Emma writes to you or to anyone, he echoes it back to her. The guy’s not looking into her soul, he’s reading her e-mail.

[Hotel Room]

(Jordan and Emma are sitting on the bed. He’s taping them.)

Jordan: Emma, your mother’s at her reunion. She doesn’t even know that you’re missing. We have hours.

[Emma’s room]

(They’re reading her latest e-mail from Jordan.)

Toby: There. His last message. He’s at the Bartley Valley, room 1409.

(They leave, to go tell Emma’s mom.)

[Street]

(They’re running to Degrassi, to tell Spike.)

J.T.: Toby, come on.

(They enter.)

[Degrassi- Gym]

(Spike is dancing with Archie.)

Archie: I love being back here. I get to teach kids like Emma. I get to dance with her mother.

Spike: Someone’s gotten smoother in the last 10 years.

(Manny, J.T., and Toby enter the gym.)

Manny: Ms. Nelson!

J.T.: There she is. Right over there.

All: Ms. Nelson!

Spike: Guys, what’s up?

All: It’s Emma! (They all start talking at once)

Spike: Wait a minute.

Archie: One at a time

[Outside]

Spike: Hello, police? My daughter’s in danger. I don’t know who she’s with. All I know is it’s someone she met on the Internet. Please hurry. You guys go home. I’ll call your parents

(Spike and Archie drive away to go save Emma.)

[Hotel Room]

Jordan: (smelling her hair) You smell so sweet.

[Lobby]

(Spike and Archie are running to the room.)

[Hotel Room]

Jordan: (Touches her lips) I feel so close to you.

[Hallway]

(Spike and Archie open a door run looking for the room.)

[Hotel Room]

Jordan: (Touches her face) I’ve been dreaming about this, over and over and over again. (She makes fists with her hands) Waiting.

[Hallway]

(Spike and Archie find the room (*Goes back and forth a minute between in the room and outside it*))

Spike: Emma.

Emma: Mom! (Jordan covers her mouth)

Spike: Are you in there? Open the door.

Archie: Emma!

(In the room, she gets his hand off her mouth, and gets off the bed.)

Spike: Open the door now.

Archie: Open the door!

(Emma opens the door and comes out.)

Spike: Are you in there? Are you ok?

Jordan: There’s been a misunderstanding.

(Archie pushes Jordan against the wall and puts his hand on Jordan’s neck.)

Archie: You make a move, I’m gonna break your neck. Clear?

(Jordan nods. The police come down the hall.)

[Nelson House]

(A man is carrying the computer out of the house.)

Spike: When will we get it back?

Man: You’ll get it back after the trial. He’s a repeat offender. This time they think they can finally nail the creep. But, we need this as evidence.

Spike: So he’s going to jail?

Man: Oh, yeah. And when this comes back, keep it downstairs. Keep the cyber stalkers out of her room.

(He leaves. Spike closes the door.)

[Emma’s room]

Emma: I’m sorry I ruined your reunion. Hope you had some fun last night.

Spike: How could you do that, Emma? How could you do something so incredibly stupid?

Emma: I made a mistake.

Spike: A mistake? You could have been…you could have been k*lled.

Emma: You’ve never made a mistake before? Like maybe having me?

Spike: It’s not the same thing.

Emma: I screwed up. I’m a dumb kid.

Spike: No, you’re not dumb. That’s what’s so confusing. You kept this guy a secret for 8 months. Why didn’t you tell me? You know you can talk to me about anything.

Emma: No, I can’t! You’re my mom, don’t you get it? You don’t remember what it’s like being 12! You don’t remember anything!

Spike: Actually, I do. Em, will you remember one thing? Even when you hate my guts, I’ll always try to listen. And I’ll try to understand. But, we’ve got to keep talking, ok? I love you. More than everything else in the world, ok?

Emma: Mommy, I was so scared.

Spike: I know you were, baby. I know.

(They hug. Emma cries.)

End