01x03 - Family Politics

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

01x03 - Family Politics

Post by bunniefuu »

[The Kerwin House - Ashley’s Room]

(While getting ready for school, she’s talking to her friend Terri on the phone.)

Ashley: This is gonna be the best year ever! (Working on her poster for Degrassi student council president.) The first thing we need to do to, Terri, we need to get you a boyfriend. It’ll happen. Trust me. Uh, Terri, I am not a shoe in (as she leaves the room, we see her poster which says “Ashley Kerwin Your Choice For Degrassi Prez” with her picture in the center) We won’t even know if I’m president till the final vote is counted (closes her door.) Yeah, I just need to have a shower and get dressed. Oh, no, not again. Ter, I’ve gotta go. All right, I’ll see you at school. Bye (hangs up with Terri) (Knocks on the bathroom door- goes back and forth a minute between showing Toby in the bathroom and her outside the door) Toby, out.

Toby: How do you know it’s me? It could be your mom, could be my dad.

Ashley: They have their own bathroom.

Toby: Then, go use it. I just got here.

Ashley: Toby, come on, be reasonable. I have to get to school to put up my election posters.

Toby: Aren’t you the only one running? (Opens the cabinet and sees Ashley’s bra hanging in the shower)

Ashley: Toby, remember what Dr. Fried said? “A generous attitude makes for a generous family.” Now, get out the bathroom, now! Toby, what will it take you to open that door?

Toby: Just say “please”.

Ashley: Please.

Toby: (while fixing his hair) Now say “Toby Isaacs is the coolest kid at Degrassi. Way, way cooler than any stupid grade 8 could ever hope to be.”

Ashley: Toby, I have to get something?

Toby: Get what? Your hairbrush? Your eyeliner? Your (opens the door with her bra on) training bra?

Ashley: Mom!

Theme song.

[Degrassi]

Toby: I mean, I hadn’t even spit out my toothpaste and she wanted in.

JT: Maybe you should explain to Ashley that bathroom time is private time.

Toby: She’d probably go and cry to her mommy.

JT: Really?

Toby: She has no sense of humor and she’s a neat-o-holic. Yesterday, I left my gym socks on the couch, she freaked.

JT: Your gym socks can reek something fierce.

Toby: Just ‘cause me and dad move in to their house, Ashley treats me like…

JT: Dirt? Gum stuck on her shoe?

Toby: All of the above. So, ready for Day 1 of the rest of our junior high lives?

JT: What do you think?

[Inside Degrassi]

(Terri is helping Ashley put up her posters.)

Ashley: Dr. Fried says we need to work together and become more like siblings.

Terri: You fight all the time, you can’t stand the sight of each other, you’re already acting like siblings.

Ashley: I mean I don’t mind his dad Jeff, and I’m glad my mom’s happy, but Toby, he’s everywhere. He’s like a little mosquito that keeps buzzing in your ear.

Terri: Hey, Ash, maybe when you’re president, you can get him expelled.

Ashley: Yeah, from my life.

(A blond girl named Paige comes up to them. She’s wearing a red shirt that says “Hottie”, blue capris, and sunglasses)

Paige: Hey, guys. Haven’t seen you all summer. How are you doing? (As she talks, the camera moves up from her feet to her face)

Terri: Paige?

Paige: New year, new look, new Paige (a guy stares at her and hits a locker.) You’re putting up your campaign posters already?

Ashley: The election’s on Friday.

Paige: Wow, you’d rather on the issues than your appearance. That’s so…admirable.

Paige walks away.

[Another part of Degrassi]

(Emma and Manny are coming into school.)

Emma: Manny, there’s nothing to be afraid of.

Manny: Nothing but the grade 8’s.

Emma: They’re only a year older than us.

Manny: Yeah, a whole year to think of ways to make us suffer.

(Emma drops some papers. As she goes to pick them up, Spinner and Jimmy approach them. Spinner steps on the papers.)

Spinner: Hall pass.

Emma: What?

Spinner: You’re not allowed on school property without a hall pass.

Emma: But, we didn’t get one.

Spinner: Then you’ll both have to leave.

Manny: But, we can’t. It’s the first day of school.

Spinner: (To Jimmy) Grade 7’s are such geeks.

(Spinner and Jimmy leave. Emma picks up her papers.)

[Outside a room]

(Toby and JT walk up to the room that’s homeroom, but the door’s locked.)

Toby: (To Emma and Manny) Hey, guys.

Emma: Hey.

Manny: Hi. That’s our homeroom?

Emma: Cool.

(The bell rings. Mr. Simpson comes to the door and un-locks it.)

Mr. S: Hey, guys. Sorry I’m late. Hey, Em. Okay, here we go. (As the kids enter the room and sit down) All right, just choose your own seats for the time being. Okay, welcome to Degrassi Community School. I’m Mr. Simpson, I’m your homeroom and Media Immersion teacher. And I gotta say you guys really lucked out, I mean it. This is by far the coolest homeroom in the entire school. First order of business: These are the code of conduct forms (passing them out to everyone), concerning the computers, and the internet, all right? I wanna get these out of the way before we get to know one another (takes JT’s hat off his head).

[Ms. Kwan’s homeroom (grade 8 with Ashley, Paige, Spinner, etc)]

Ms. Kwan: Some of you I know already and a few of you are new faces altogether. Welcome. Gavin Reginald Mason.

Spinner: Um, I prefer Spinner.

Ms. Kwan: This year will I have to give you, what was it, another 14 detentions?

Spinner: Not if you don’t want to.

Ms. Kwan: Learning and good grades are all important here at Degrassi, but so is getting involved in the school.

Paige: (raises her hand) That’s why I’m starting a spirit squad this year Ms. Kwan. We so need one.

Ms. Kwan: Great, Paige. That’s so industrious of you. And speaking of industrious, Ashley?

Ashley: Yes?

Ms. Kwan: The first day of school and you already have a professional campaign under way? Excellent start.

Ashley: Thank you

[Hallway]

(Starts with a close-up of Ashley’s poster.)

P.A.: Students are reminded that 3:15 today is the deadline for student council nominations.

(Emma and her friends are walking.)

Emma: See, Manny, this isn’t so bad, isn’t it?

Manny: As long as we don’t run into that jerk again.

(They stop in front of Ashley’s poster.)

Emma: Is that your step-sister?

Toby: She’s not my step-sister. We just to be stuck in a forced living arrangement.

Manny: Well, I think she’s pretty.

Toby: Ashley hates I live in her house and she hates that I go to her school. Which she’s obviously never heard of democracy.

Emma: What are you talking about?

Toby: This election. No one’s even running against her. She’s a shoe-in.

Emma: Why don’t you run?

Toby: Because it would provoke a rupture in our fragile family dynamic. It’s family counseling speak for “my dad would k*ll me”.

Manny: So? Get someone else to run.

JT: Yeah, right. Who’d wanna run for student council? The whole thing’s a joke.

Toby: Did u say joke?

JT: No way, Toby. I am not going a joke campaign.

Toby: Come on, JT. It’s the perfect way to stick it to Ashley.

JT: But this is my first day at Degrassi.

Toby: Exactly. You’re in the same boat as a large percentage of the student body. Which is why they’ll love you. Come on, JT, this is your once of a lifetime opportunity.

JT: For you to stick it to Ashley.

Toby: No, for you to practice your stand-up material on a large perceptive audience.

JT: Keep talking.

Toby: You want to be famous, right? This is instant fame. Just think: assembly the whole school hanging on your every word.

JT: And you’ll do all the work?

(Toby nods.)

JT: Deal. Here we are right here. What if I win?

Toby: Trust me. You don’t stand a chance.

[Hallway]

Ashley: The poster’s a little low on the left. Just bring it.

Liberty: Ashley Kerwin. We haven’t met. I’m Liberty Van Zandt and I’m running for secretary. We’re gonna be a great team. Just think. I’d like to discuss a few ideas so our policies will be in sync. First, I think we should tackle a lack of the school newspaper.

Ashley: Why don’t we wait until after the election?

Liberty: Great. Um, your poster’s a little high on the left.

(She leaves. Jimmy comes up to Ashley and puts his arm around her (which means they’re boyfriend/girlfriend))

Jimmy: What was that all about?

(They walk away.)

[Classroom]

(Toby is making copies of something- we see it says JT’s name on it, which means it must be posters.)

Mr. S: You do know it’s 10 cents a copy?

(Toby tries to make them stop.)

[Hallway]

(Toby’s putting up JT’s posters.)

Ashley: I’m gonna make so many changes at this school, Terri. And not just superficial stuff. I want the students to feel heard.

(They stop when they JT’s posters.)

Terri: Uh, Ash….

Ashley: What is that?

Toby: Oh, a poster without your picture on it.

Ashley: JT Yorke. That annoying little friend of yours?

Toby: What’s wrong Ashley? Afraid of a little competition?

Ashley: You are so wasting your time. School president is always in 8th grade.

Toby: Well, uh, this year that’s going to change.

(Ashley and Terri walk past Toby.)

Toby: ‘Bye, Ashley.

[Hallway]

(Someone comes to JT with a camera.)

Boy: Hey, JT. Why do you wanna run for president?

JT: Why do I wanna run for president? Uh, that’s a good question.

Toby: In one word people: democracy. The backbone of our fine nation.

JT: Hear, hear!

Toby: He is, people, our great alternative. In a world dominated by cruel selfish 8th graders, JT is our last shining hope.

JT: I couldn’t have said it better myself. Thank you, Degrassi.

[Outside]

Liberty: A grade 7 running for president? I wouldn’t be caught dead voting for him. Besides, I think Ashley and I, Liberty Van Zandt, will make an excellent team.

[Another part of school]

JT: If elected, I, JT Yorke, will do what a real politician would do: absolutely nothing. And, like a true politician, I will accept bribes.

(Ashley and Terri are watching.)

Ashley: People are actually paying attention to him?

Terri: He’s pretty funny. If you like total amateur humor. You’re not actually worried are you?

Ashley: No.

JT: I, JT Yorke: Unknown, unremarkable…

[Hallway]

(Someone with a camera is talking to Emma.)

Emma: Personally, I think it’s great. Grade 7’s have just as much right to run for school president as anyone. I’m voting for JT.

[Outside]

Ashley: Greater representation the school boards.

Terri: (passing out fliers) And up-to-date recycling programs.

Ashley: I’ll even get us a night dance. All it costs is a vote.

[JT’s speech to students.]

JT: What about the staff washrooms? (It shows Ashley watching) I’ll bet you any money that they have softer toilet paper. If you elect me, I’ll those staff washrooms, our washrooms. So vote for JT. You’ll do the right thing. I know you will. (To Toby) It’s working.

Toby: (sees Ashley watching) I know.

JT: Vote for JT. It’ll do you good. You’ll love me. Nice to meet you.
[Kerwin House: Kitchen]

Ashley: Toby Issacs, you shrimp, who are you doing this to me?

Toby: I’m not doing anything. JT’s running for president and I’m just helping him out.

Ashley: JT doesn’t care about the school.

Toby: How do you know? Guess what: Degrassi doesn’t revolve around you. Anyone can run.

Ashley: The guy is an idiot! And he doesn’t know anything because he just got there

Ashley’s mom, Kate, walks in.

Kate: Ashley, What’s the problem?

Ashley: Great. Take his side again. Don’t even try to figure out what we’re talking about. I mean, I put all my effort into this race…

Toby: There was no race. Now there is.

Kate: Toby, are you running against Ashley?

Ashley: No, his friend, JT, is.

Toby: I’m helping my best friend run his campaign. What’s wrong with that?

Ashley: What’s wrong is he’s only doing it to bug me.

Kate: Come on, Ashley, I’m sure he’s not.

Ashley: But Mom….

Kate: Toby has every right to help run his best friend’s campaign.

[The Next Day- Kerwin Bathroom]

(Ashley, in curlers, knocks on the door.)

Toby: Today’s the big day. Written your defeat speech yet?

Ashley: JT is not going to win.

Toby: You wish. Just think: you’re about to lose to a 7th grader.

(Ashley goes in the bathroom.)

[Degrassi Hallway]

(Someone is taping Paige.)

Paige: Hi. My name’s Paige + of course Ashley’s going to win today. Sure, some students may resent her for being perfect, but, Ashley always get what she wants, so why would today be any different? Actually, I’ll tell why today is different. See, I just got these brand new glasses and I think they look rather nice with my outfit, don’t you? Oh, and my belt. Please get a close-up of the belt. Thanks. And my new purse so everyone can see all that I own. What do I have in here? This, this isn’t mine.

(The cameraman starts to walk away.)

Paige: (O.S.) Hello! I’m not done here!

[Computer room]

(Toby and JT are on it, checking polls for president.)

Toby: Look at this! You’ve got as much support as Ashley!

JT: It’s just some stupid poll.

Toby: This is before your speech (show a close-up of the poll: Ashley- 48%, JT- 52%). Forget Ashley. You’re on the verge of making Degrassi history! Am I the only one excited here?

JT: I thought the plan was to make her sweat.

Toby: Exactly! The closer you come to b*ating her, the sweater she gets.

JT: Yeah, well, I’m getting pretty sweaty too. Because if I win this thing, I’ll have to do a lot of work.

[Another part of school]

(Someone is taping Liberty.)

Liberty: It would be tragic if Ashley lost today. But if she did, and if I, Liberty Van Zandt, am elected as secretary, I would work closely with JT to ensure excellent standards of student government.

[Hall]

(JT closes his locker and starts to head to class when Spinner and Jimmy grab him.)

JT: Uh, hi.

Spinner: You’re coming with us.

JT: What? What did I do? I’m going to be late for class, you’re going to be late for class. That’s a lot of lateness. Do you want to get a dentition? I know I don’t. What did I do?

[A classroom]

Ashley is in there waiting.

JT: Is this about the election? If I promise you something you got a problem with, just tell me and I’ll change it. Really, I will

(They drop him on the floor.)

Ashley: Thanks. That’s all for now.

(They leave. JT gets up.)

JT: What’s going on?

Ashley: Here’s the deal: you quit the race for school president and I give you 50 bucks.

JT: 50 bucks?

Ashley: 5-0. Okay, 60.

JT: You see, I’d jump at that but I’ve got this older brother. He just lost the race for school president.

Ashley: 65.

JT: My parents were shattered. They had to go on Prozac. I can’t put them through that again.

Ashley: 80 bucks and that’s my final offer.

JT: 80’s good.

Ashley: Glad to hear it. But for that amount, I want a show. I want you to quit in front of the whole school.

JT: At assembly? Cool. I still get to say my speech.

Ashley: Half now, the rest after. (Gives him the money)

JT: It was a pleasure doing business with you, Ms. President. (Puts out his hand but she doesn’t shake it) I’ll go now.

(He grabs his bag and leaves.)

[Hall]

Manny: Once the election’s over, I head straight home.

Emma: And avoid Spinner.

(Spinner comes up behind them and hits Manny with a spitball.)

Manny: Ow.

(Holds her neck and starts to cry.)

Emma: Oh, great. Now look what you’ve done.

Spinner: I was just kidding around.

Terri: Wow that’s so cool, Spinner. Making a grade 7 girl cry.

Spinner: Look, I didn’t mean to make her cry.

Emma: Well, you did. Congratulations.

(Spinner walks away.)

Emma: It’s ok, Manny. He’s gone.

Manny: I knew it would work. Always does on my brother.

(They walk away.)

[Hall]

(Toby catches up to JT.)

Toby: She bribed you?

JT: She paid me.

Toby: It’s wrong.

JT: Wrong? What about this campaign?

Toby: What about it?

JT: We did this just to get back at your step-sister.

Toby: She’s not my step-sister!

P.A.: Would all candidates please report to the stage?

JT: Look, if it makes you feel any better, we’ll split it. 50/50.

Toby: I don’t want her blood money. It’s just helping Ashley get exactly what she wants…again.

[Assembly]

(Liberty is finishing her speech.)

Liberty: And in conclusion, I promise that if elected, I, Liberty Van Zandt, will fulfill my responsibilities as student council secretary with enthusiasm and even more enthusiasm. Thank you. (Applause as she sits)

(Mr. Raditch comes to the mike.)

Mr. R: Thank you very much, Liberty, for that enthusiasm. Next up, our two candidates for school president. Each will have 3 minutes to deliver their speeches and we will begin with, JT Yorke. (Applause)

(JT goes to the mike.)

JT: Ladies and gentleman, it’s a long year. You gotta vote for me. You need something to laugh at. Now if I could just say a few words about my presidential platform, this speech would be a whole lot shorter. But, seriously, if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my zero years of political experience, well, it’s nothing.

Toby: Ashley! (She ignores him) Ashley!

(She gets up and goes out the door.)

Ashley: What?

Toby: You bribed JT.

Ashley: No I didn’t.

Toby: Yes you did. I saw the money. It’s corruption.

Ashley: Oh, how thrilling. You learned a new word.

Toby: Oh you want thrilling? Wait’ll I go up on stage and tell everyone what you did.

Ashley: But, JT took the money.

Toby: No, he excepted it as evidence.

Ashley: You wouldn’t.

Toby: Oh, I will. I’m heading up there and telling everyone what a fraud Ashley Kerwin is.

Ashley: Fine. My life’s a disaster anyway. It might as well get worse.

Toby: Your life’s a disaster?

Ashley: I want my mom to be happy and I’ve tired to be nice, but the moment you moved in, everything become all about you.

Toby: About me? Do you have any idea what’s it like living in your house?

Ashley: Please! My mom dotes on you. She doesn’t care what I feel, as long as you’re happy.

Toby: What?

Ashley: And now I can’t get away from you. You’re everywhere: at home, at school, even in my campaign.

Toby: That’s not true…

Ashley: I wanted just one thing that you couldn’t take away from me. But you found a way. Please. Before you go up there and publicly humiliate me, just listen to my speech. Then decided if you don’t think I deserve to be President.

[Inside Assembly]

JT: She’s got the looks, she’s got the brains, she’s got the brains, she’s got everything. Don’t pity her; pity me. Thank you. Oh, and by the way, I quit the race for school prez. Vote Ashley. (Sits down)

Mr. R: Well that’s rather interesting. JT, you sure? (He nods) Well, I still think we’d like to hear what Ashley has to say. Ashley? Ashley? (To JT.) We’ll talk later.

[Outside Door]

Ashley: Please.

Mr. R (O.S.): Ashley?

[Kerwin House - Outside]

Ashley: No way!

Jimmy: Yeah, whatever, I’m not lying.

Ashley: Yeah, right. Well, thanks, uh, and I’ll see you tomorrow. (They hug)

Jimmy: Congratulations, Ms. President.

(Jimmy leaves. Ashley walks over to Toby, who is sitting at a table.)

Ashley: So, is this what defeat looks like or just guilt?

Toby: Congratulations, Ashley.

Ashley: Yeah, whatever.

Toby: I mean it. Congratulations. You deserved to win.

Ashley: Ok, what have you done with the real Toby Isaacs?

Toby: it’s not my fault JT’s in trouble for riding the joke campaign. I should’ve never put him up to it.

Ashley: You’re right. You shouldn’t have.

Toby: Ash, I’m trying to apologize here. I knew it would drive you crazy. I just couldn’t stop myself.

Ashley: You hate me that much?

Toby: Sometimes.

Ashley: I gotta admit sometimes I feel the same way about you. The fact is Toby, we have to live with each other in the same house and that sucks, right?

Toby: You can say that again.

Ashley: But does it have to such this much?

Toby: Maybe not.

Ashley: Maybe not. Are we bonding here?

Toby: Bonding? Us?

Ashley: Well, the first time in a month, I don’t wanna rip your eyes out.

Toby: Wow, Dr. Fried would be so proud.

End