02x01 - When Doves Cry

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

02x01 - When Doves Cry

Post by bunniefuu »

WHEN DOVES CRY (1/2)

A boy named Craig Manning (Brown hair and eyes, kind of tall) is taking pictures of a girl named Angela Jeremiah, his half sister from a distance (She is about 5, brown hair, She is with Emma Nelson, playing. Then he sees her blowing bubbles with her dad, Joey and takes pictures. He is not allowed to see her because of his dad). When Craig thinks Joey sees him, he runs home.

Inside The Manning House

Craig’s dad is sitting at the table waiting for Craig.

Mr. Manning: Craig!

Craig: Hey dad. (Takes off his jacket and sits at the table)

Mr. M: What happened to 6:00?

Craig: I know. I’m sorry. It’s just the light outside, late summer, incredible. I just uh…

Mr. M: Got distracted and missed dinner.

Craig: Yeah, uh, Dad I’m sorry.

Mr. M: (throws a plate on the floor) When I say 6:00, I don’t care how great the light is, you’re home. Do you understand me? Clean it up. (He walks out of the room and slams a door)

Cut to: Degrassi

Everyone is arriving at school.

Toby: Man, Grade 8 was supposed to be ours. This is so unfair.

JT: I have no problem with an expanded Degrassi. Way more fish in the sea.

Toby: What, you’re fishing for a new baby -sitter?

JT: dude, older women. Hot sexy older women just waiting to make me into a man, okay? This year, Toby. Just trust me, I know it.

They head inside.

Cut to: Craig

He is getting out of his dad’s car.

Craig: Thanks for the lift.

Mr. M: Ok. You need a lift tonight?

Craig: No, no, I can, uh, make it home. I’ll be on time tonight, ok?

Mr. M: Good luck to you sport.

As he goes inside, we see Emma and Manny watching him.

Manny: Is that the sound of your heart pounding? No way, it’s mine.

Emma: Proving that summer is so overrated. (They hit their boxing gloves as high fives to each other as they head in)

Inside

Spinner and Jimmy are sitting together.

Spinner: Back at this dump for four more years. Four long years.

Jimmy: Look at this place, it’s a zoo in here.

Spinner: You said it.

Jimmy: (Sees Sean) Look there’s one of the monkey’s now. (Sean goes to get a drink)

P.A.: Good morning students and welcome to Degrassi. If you’re a new student and haven’t received your homeroom number yet, please see Mrs. Smith in the main office immediately.

Sean: (Craig bumps into him) Is Degrassi a high school and a blind school this year?

Craig: Sorry man. I’m lost.

Sean: Buy a map.

Craig: (Holds up a map) Already got one. I’m not blind, just uh, directionally challenged.

Girl: Hey boys. (To Craig) Hey cutie.

Craig: M.I Lab?

Sean: Here I’ll-I’ll show you.

Spinner: (Imitates Sean) “Here, I’ll show you”.

Grade 8 English

Ms. Kwan: Closing down the high school was a last minute board decision, meaning we’re not fully prepared for the influx of students. (Liberty raises her hand)

Liberty: Will there be a separate student council? Separate video announcements? What about The Grapevine?

Ms. Kwan: Ok, my question at a time. In the short term, Degrassi’s gonna be a very crowded place.

JT: Small price to pay, huh? Older women, younger men, very hot.

Toby: Older women, JT Yorke, very not.

Sean comes in.

Ms. Kwan: Take a seat. (Sean goes and sits down and Emma sees him) You may even have to share lockers. (To Sean) See me after class. We’re going to be covering…

Grade 9 Media Immersion

Mr. Simpson: Adding grades 9 to 12 is a great opportunity for Degrassi and for you guys. I taught you M.I. for the past two years. You get for another four. (As he’s talking, he’s handing out locks for their lockers) (He slams Craig down to wake him up) Late night last night, huh, Craig?

Craig: Very… very…very late night, sir. I kept on waking up in anticipation of well this exact moment…sir.

Mr. Simpson: Yeah well save the Zs for home, ok? (Bell rings) Don’t forget to pick up your textbooks in the gym. And even though today is a half-day, tomorrow is not.

Hall

Toby: Ok, and every second week we’ll take out lunches, old school stuff…

JT: Whatever you say roomie.

Manny: I can’t believe you guys volunteered to share.

JT: Eh, it’s just our way of giving something back to Degrassi, is all.

Emma: Yeah or of destroying your friendship.

JT: (Liberty pushes past him) Slow down.

Emma: How soon till we tell them we told so.

JT: Now I get the top shelf, all right?

Toby: Why? We said I got it.

JT: No I get the top shelf because I’m taller.

Toby: Yeah, by like a millimeter.

JT: No check this out. Look. (He measures them) See? Way taller.

Hall

Hazel: Paige, your hair is fine.

Paige: Fine? I have a mullet.

Terri: What’s a mullet?

Paige: (Points out kids they walk past who have one) That. Hairstyle of the trailer dwellers and fashion impaired.

Hazel: So get it fixed.

Paige: But that’ll cost about 80 bucks. I have 50 put away, but my evil parents are insisting I can clean out the garage for the rest. Hello? Child labor.

Craig: You know, there are laws against child labor.

Paige: Ok, thanks, Mr. News- at-5.

Terri: Cute.

Hazel: Very.

Paige: Try deranged.

Ashley runs up to them.

Ashley: Guys, hey. I tried to call you when I got back. How was your summer?

Paige: Anyway, about my hair. (Paige and Hazel walk away)

Terri: Give them time. I’m sure they’ll…you know…

Ashley: What, forgive and forget? Right. (They go under something and walk down the hall)

Outside

Angela is blowing on a windmill. As she does, Craig is taking her picture.

Angela: Craig!

She runs up to the fence, which he is on the other side of.

Angela: You’ve been gone forever.

Craig: I know. But summer’s over, I’m back from camp, and now you won’t ever get away from me. Ok, say Bad Donkey Breath.

Angela: Bad Donkey Breath. (He takes her picture) Let me take yours.

Craig: Who, me? I’ll break the camera.

Angela: Give it.

Craig: Remember how to use it? One hand there. (She moves it around and he makes a weird face that she takes a picture of, then gives him back the camera)

Angela: Daddy and me are gonna go visit Mommy. Wanna come?

Craig: Just um…just tell her I miss her. Ok? (She nods) And you can’t tell you Dad about us meeting, all right?

Angela: I promise. Always, always.

Woman: Angela!

Craig: Love you kid.

He leaves.

Woman: Angela, honey. Who was that?

Angela: My brother.

Media Immersion.

Toby: Ok, I give you The Isaacs System.

JT: The what?

Toby: Ok, you want an older woman? This system determines your best match. Meet, Terri McGregor. (He clicks on her picture)

Mr. Simpson: Guys, your dedication to grade 8 is impressive, but, uh, go home already!

Toby: Can we just finish this first?

Mr. Simpson: Five minutes.

JT: Terri’s not really my type.

Toby: Pretty and breathing. Exactly your type.

JT: No, I need more of a challenge. Someone like… (Lands on Paige’s picture) All righty.

Toby: But you only have like a 0.03 % chance of scoring with…

JT: Paige Michalchuk. Come to Papa. (Puts on his sunglasses and smiles)

Cemetery

Joey and Angela are there, visiting with Joey’s wife who passed away.

Joey: That’s a lot of yellow, Angie.

Angela: But that was Mommy’s favorite color. Remember?

Joey: Yes I do. (They go to her grave stone. Joey kisses it and puts his hands on it while Angela puts the flowers around it)

Angela: Do you think she misses us?

Joey: I know she does. Just as much as we miss her.

Angela: But do you think she likes it up in Heaven? Craig said that…

Joey: Craig said what? Did you see Craig?

Angela: No, I just I promised…

Joey: Come on, sweetie. Tell me the truth. (Joey looks up and notices that Craig is there, taking pictures) Stay right here, ok? Craig? (Craig runs away as Joey approaches him) Craig?!
Craig’s House

He is developing pictures he took in his dark room. It’s a picture of Joey and Angela at the cemetery with a different picture of Craig next to them. When it’s dry, he puts it on a paper that says “The Perfect Family”.

Mr. M: Hey sport. Are you ready to eat? Craig? (He is quickly putting away a folder)

Craig: Uh… yeah. Uh… I’m just coming. (He takes pictures down that are hanging up)

Kitchen

Craig and his dad are eating.

Craig: Wow, roast beef, mashed potatoes, yorkshire pudding.

Mr. M: Your favorite.

Craig: Yeah totally. I love roast beef. Remember how Mom used to make it? (His Dad gives him a look so Craig keeps quiet)

Mr. M: So how’s was the first day? Make any friends?

Craig: Yeah, one guy. Sean. He’s cool.

Mr. M: That’s great. Listen, there was a message on the machine today.

Craig: For me?

Mr. M: No for me. From Joey Jeremiah. Any thoughts, any ideas on why he might be calling?

Craig shakes his head.

Mr. M: You didn’t call him?

Craig: Dad come on, why would I call Joey?

Mr. M: Why would your mother leave a surgeon for a used car salesman, Craig? I mean, the mysteries of the universe are infinite to me.

Craig: Well , I didn’t…I didn’t…call. Promise. I’m not…um…I’m not like Mom, ok? So, uh…you gonna call him back?

Mr. M: Now, why would I do that?

Degrassi

JT: Ok, my destiny is approaching. Project Paige has officially begun.

Toby: Yeah, it’ll be over in about two minutes.

JT approaches Paige

Paige: Oh look. It’s gross and grosser.

Hazel: Looks like grosser wants a word with you.

JT: Uh Paige may I say that you’re looking rather radiant today? May I carry your bag for you?

Paige: You want to carry my bag?

JT: Yeah, I’ll carry to home, I’ll carry it to school. Your wish is my command.

Paige: In that case I wish that you’d go back to your girlfriend over there and leave me alone….Now. (Takes her bag from him and she and Hazel walk away)

Toby: Wow, you-you are an inspiration.

JT: The battle has just begun. Paige Michalchuk will be mine.

Toby: Ok. (They go inside)

Library

Manny: So, he’s in grade 9?

Emma: Yeah, I saw him coming out of Simpson’s homeroom this morning.

Manny: Why do the 9ers get all the hotties?

Emma: What do you mean? We have JT and Toby.

Manny: Shh! There he is.

They see Craig coming in. When they do they put up their books as if they’re reading.

Craig: Emma Nelson right? You baby-sit Angela Jeremiah.

Emma: I do? I mean I do but…

Craig: You don’t recognize me? Five years ago. Our mothers made us dance.

Emma: The wedding. Craig is Joey’s stepson. Angela’s half-brother.

Manny: Oh. Oh hi. (He nods at Manny)

Craig: Hey. Anyway, uh…nice to see you again. (He gets up to leave)

Emma: Craig, wait! I’m baby-sitting Angela later. My mom’s having this big party and I was wondering if maybe you want to come along.

Craig: I wouldn’t want to crash.

Emma: No, you’d be my guest. If you want to come, meet me out front after school.

Craig: I’ll be there. Thanks. (He leaves)

Manny: He’s coming tonight. (They squeal)

Joey’s dealership. He is showing a car to a couple.

Joey: If this car is a lemon, which it is not, I will give you a real lemon and let you squeeze it in my eyes. Sound fair?

Mr. M: Oh, listen to the man. He knows cars.

Joey: Would you excuse me for just a minute? Why don’t you open her up and see how she feels? Ok? I’ll be with right away. Hello Albert. You got my message.

Mr. M: Sure did.

Joey: Good. Well, it’s about Craig. This is really none of my business but…

Mr. M: You’re just gonna butt in anyway.

Joey: I just want to know how is he doing.

Mr. M: What’s your interest in my son?

Joey: Just…

Mr. M: He’s my son, right?

Joey: Yes, but he’s also Angela’s brother.

Mr. M: Half-brother. What’s your point?

Joey: Angela misses him. Ok? And I know he misses her. And you and I need to do something about it.

Mr. M: Ok, you and I need to do nothing. Except stay away from each other.

Joey: Ok, You’re not getting it here, ok. Craig wants to see Angela and I know he has been seeing her. I just found out myself, he’s been doing it on his own time. You and I may hate each other, but do our kids have to? (As he talks Craig’s Dad is getting in his car to drive away) Even if it’s just once a month.

Outside

Toby: Ok, according to The Isaacs System, you and Paige are never gonna happen.

JT: Would that be the same system that stopped you from doing anything about Emma last year? News flash Toby. It doesn’t work. (Paige, Hazel, and Spinner walk by) Uh, Paige. Hold up.

Paige: Ok, I need a restraining order. What?

JT: Uh…will you go out with me? All I’m asking for is one date. If we click, then we’ll talk commitment. What do you say? (They laugh at JT as they walk away)

Spinner: Man, that is classic.

JT: In time.

Paige: Ok, has my rep fallen to the point where a loser like JT thinks he can ask me out and get away with it?

Hazel: It’s hilarious. You should totally do it.

Spinner: Yeah, Paige and JT on a date. Oh yeah.

Paige: Never going to happen, ever.

Hazel: Everyone has their price. Like say…30 bucks. Enough to get your hair done.

Paige: You honestly think I will go out in public with IT for 30 bucks?

Hazel: A light evening with Frodo? Or an entire day gagging through cobwebs in your parents’ garage.

Spinner: Yeah, you know, it’s about the earwigs. Sharp pinchers, just waiting to climb…

Paige: $30.00, in cash. Fine. But… there will be conditions. Big conditions.

Emma’s

Craig is there w/ Angela, Emma, and Manny. Craig is drawing something in chalk.

Angela: Is that a frog?

Craig: Are you kidding? This is a big razor-toothed dinosaur with a taste for little girls named Angela! (He goes over to her and tickles her)

Spike: What are you guys doing to her?

Craig: Just feeding her to the dinosaurs.

Spike: Ok, guys. Dinner’s served. (They cross the street to go get food) Come on. (Joey approaches with a gift and waves at Angela)

Angela: Daddy!

Joey: Ya! Mmmwah! (Hugs and kisses her)

Spike: Hey, we didn’t expect you. I mean it’s only my birthday. Much less important than a blind date.

Joey: Ok, Ok, My bad.

Snake: So, Jeremiah, how was Miss November?

Joey: She was Miss November of 1973. Ooh. It was like going out with my mother.

Snake: Ah, well you know women of a certain age do have a special appeal.

Spike: You can leave now!

Snake: What, and miss watching you turn gray?

Joey: Don’t worry, he’s coming home with me, after we eat. (Walks a little bit and sees Craig) Craig. Hey, what are you doing here?

Emma: I invited him.

Craig: It’s okay, isn’t it?

Joey: Yeah, yeah, no, um…Can I talk to you for a second? (Craig nods and walks over to Joey) It’s great seeing you, I mean that. But you dad doesn’t want.

Craig: Oh. He’s fine with this.

Joey: He knows you’re here? (Emma walks by as they talk) Look, I don’t know why, but he doesn’t want you hanging out with me or with Angie. He’s made that radically clear.

Craig: Wait, you talked to him?

Joey: He came by the dealership this afternoon. (Craig starts to walk away) Craig, come on! Your dad won’t allow it, what do you want me to do?

Craig: No problem, I get it! Hey, um, Ms. Nelson, thanks for the hot dog! (After he leaves, the camera goes up to Emma’s face where she doesn’t look happy for Craig)

Craig’s

He goes in and his dad is at the table, being silent.

Craig: I’m gonna go down to my dark room.

When Craig enters the room, he sees it is all a mess, the place has been trashed. He is shocked. His dad comes in.

Mr. M: Are you looking for something? (Holds up something of Craig’s)

Craig: What are you doing?

Mr. M: Are you looking for something? (He starts hitting Craig with it)

Craig: What are you doing?

Mr. M: Are you looking for something? (He grabs Craig by his arms and then throws him down on the floor. He then throws something in the air and leaves the room. The camera closes up on Craig on the floor, scared and crying then moves to Craig’s broken camera and a happy smiling picture of him)

End