02x09 - Mirror in the Bathroom

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Degrassi Next Generation." Aired: October 2001 to July 2010.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

About the kids at Degrassi Community School. Centralizing around the children of the original characters from Degrassi High (1987). The show aims to deal with serious and sometimes taboo issues that plague teenagers.

02x09 - Mirror in the Bathroom

Post by bunniefuu »

Ms. Kwan’s classroom.

Liberty is on TV doing announcements.

LIBERTY: Congratulations to Toby Isaacs and the rest of the computer programming team. Thanks to them, Degrassi placed third in the regionals.

MS. KWAN: Nice work, Toby. (Claps and the students clap politely for a few seconds)

TOBY: That's it?

JT: Nascar's exciting. Britney in a hot tub, that's exciting. Third place in some geek contest… no. (Emma and Manny start laughing)

LIBERTY: In sports, for all boys interested in the wrestling team, there's a meeting after school in the gym. Speaking of wrestling, last year's champion, Sean Cameron, has been named this month's overall sports MVP by the students.

MS. KWAN: That's fantastic Sean. (Starts clapping. The students begin the clap and cheer)

TOBY: Nice to be him. Forget it. Just forget it.

JT and Toby in Ms. Hatzilakos’ class.

JT: What did you expect? (In a girly voice) Oh, Toby. I just love a man who can write binary code.

MS HATZILAKOS: Boys, want to share with the class?

TOBY: I was just wondering if everything about us was decided by DNA.

MISS HATZILAKOS: Some things, like your eye color. But there are others things about us that we have the power to change. (Bell rings, students start to get up to leave) Remember to bring back these diagrams for tomorrow's class.

TOBY: But no one notices me.

JT: Sure they do. You're the loveable, if forgettable, computer expert.

TOBY: That's it?

JT: Yeah, well. (They head out into the hallway) No big deal. You could change your image… You could moon the cafe.

TOBY: I could dye my hair green.

JT: You could take up snow boarding.

TOBY: (seriously) I could try out for wrestling.

JT: (laughing a bit) Yeah, now that's funny… No. Bad Toby.

TOBY: No one ignores geeks. I think it's a great idea. (Walks on)

Outside at the picnic tables.

Spinner is holding a cell phone.

SPINNER: Wireless web access, e-mail, and GPS. Terr, your phone rules.

TERRI: The salesman said it was the best. (Takes her phone back)

PAIGE: (walking up with Hazel) Terr! Ok, hun. We grow tired of your games. You gotta spill.

TERRI: What are you talking about?

HAZEL: Two days ago a new coat. Yesterday a new bag…

PAIGE: Today a new cell phone. We won't stand it any longer.

TERRI: My dad made some extra money.

PAIGE: What'd de do, rob a bank?

SPINNER: Paige, get off her back.

PAIGE: I will. When she tells me where the money's coming from.

TERRI: I forgot my lunch in my locker. (Grabs her stuff and walks into the school. Spinner follows)

HAZEL: Can you believe her?

PAIGE: ok, call me crazy. But do you think that Terri's got a bad case of sticky fingers… more like shoplifting?

The cafeteria. JT and Toby are in line.

JT: Toby, you realize you'll get k*lled. Creamed. Squashed. Mutilated.

TOBY: Quit it JT.

JT: I'm just being realistic. Remember what happened in gym class yesterday?

TOBY: That's because all I ever do is sit behind a computer.

JT: uh, huh.

TOBY: If I go up for wrestling, I'm gonna have to get fit. Then nobody will ever laugh at me again.

ASHLEY: (coming up) Toby, do you have your keys? I won't be home after school.

TOBY: For your information, Vampire, I have wrestling practice after school.

ASHLEY: (laughing a bit) You, wrestling? Right. (Walks away)

TOBY: (to JT) Don't say a word. I can make the team JT.

Hallway. Paige, Hazel and Terri are sitting down when Terri’s phone rings.

HAZEL: Secret admirer?

TERRI: No, just a friend.

PAIGE: (whispering to Hazel) Just her parole officer.

SPINNER: (walking inside the school) Terr, why didn't you tell us?

TERRI: Tell you what?

SPINNER: You don't know? k, come with me. I gotta show you something.

PAIGE: Not that again.

SPINNER: I meant outside. Come on. (Spinner leads Them to a bus stop where there's a huge picture of Terri in an ad) Terri McGregor. Undercover super model.

PAIGE: Terr, you look fabulous. Why didn't you tell us?

TERRI: Why? Because I'm fat.

HAZEL: Terri, there's nothing to be ashamed of.

PAIGE: At all. You're a model.

SPINNER: In a huge ad campaign.

MUHAMMAD: (walking by) Yo! Beluga!

SPINNER: Yo, shut up Moron.

MUHAMMAD: Hey, did the photographer use a wide angle lens or what?

PAIGE: Yes, loser. Just like they need a microscope to find your… (Hazel hits Paige with her elbow) (To Hazel) I was gonna say brain.

Wrestling practice. Toby is watching Sean wrestle someone.

TOBY: Oh, man.

SEAN: Toby? You lost?

TOBY: No, uh, I'm here for wrestling.

MR. ARMSTRONG: Ok, guys. Listen up. The try-outs are next week and as you know, we only have room for one wrestler per weight class. So let's get started. Andrews. (Andrews walks up and gets on the scale) 51 kilos. Good (Andrews steps off) Isaacs. (Gets on scale) 55.

ANDREWS: Should Toby and I start?

MR. ARMSTRONG: No, you guys are in different weight classes. Isaacs, you're in the 54 to 57.5 kilo class up against… Sean. (Sean just pinned his opponent. Sean and Toby start to wrestle. Toby is pinned in about 10 seconds.)

Mr. Simpson’s class.

MR. SIMPSON: Ten minutes left of class. Use this time for internet research.

JT: Hey, I found the best wrestling site. (Site comes up on Toby’s computer. There's a picture of a wrestler with two girls hanging on him)

TOBY: Maybe in a few years I could be like this guy.

JT: Uh, earth to Toby. Let's just concentrate on getting you on the team first. (Clicks on link that says "training". A page comes up saying "Making weight- a bad move")

MR. SIMPSON: (comes up and grabs Toby’s shoulder) Hey, congratulations for getting 3rd in the finals. I'm very proud of you Toby. (Looks at computer) Interesting research topic guys. You know, making weight is a serious problem. A lot of guys end up in the hospital. You know, on the computer team we don't make weight. We make programs. (Laughs. Toby laughs a little) Isn't that right Toby? (Walks away)

TOBY: That's right coach… I have to make the wrestling team.

Training montage… JT and Toby in the gym JT with a whistle and Toby doing push ups… Toby running outside… Toby doing pull-ups in the gym, helped by JT… Toby running outside… Toby running up and down steps while JT eats a donut… Toby doing sit-ups… JT throwing a weighted ball to Toby and Toby falling backwards when he catches it… Toby on a scale… Toby running outside.

TOBY: This is m*rder. Three days and I've only lost one pound.

JT: Ding. Losing attitude. Penalty… 30 crunches. (Toby puts JT in a head lock) Ah! Not cool. Fine, we'll get a drink first.

Inside a store. JT has a drink and Toby is looking at a package of laxatives.

JT: Take it from someone who learned the hard way. Those aren't really chocolate.

TOBY: Only you'd make that mistake. (Puts package down)

JT: Uh, laxatives. So tasty going in, so nasty going out. (Walks out of store. Toby looks at package again)

Toby’s bedroom. He's standing shirtless in front of his mirror, laxative in hand. He eats it and makes a face as if it doesn't taste very good.

Gym. Toby is holding his stomach and blinking his eyes. It's the day of try-outs.

MR. ARMSTRONG: Isaacs. Scale. (Toby gets on scale) 53 kilos. That's quite a loss.

TOBY: Been training hard coach.

MR. ARMSTRONG: Mmm hmm. You know any player caught making weight will be cut.

TOBY: Would I do anything so stupid?

MR. ARMSTRONG: Andrews, it looks like you've got some competition. Let's go. Shake hands. (They shake)

ANDREWS: Good luck.

TOBY: You too. (They wrestle and Toby pins him in under 30 seconds)

MR ARMSTRONG: (blows whistle) Fast Isaacs. Welcome to the team. (Everybody cheers and Toby is very happy)

Kerwin-Isaacs kitchen. Ashley is sitting down, drinking something. Toby comes in, whistling.

ASHLEY: Someone's in a good mood.

TOBY: Today marks a new chapter in the book of Toby Isaacs.

ASHLEY: Making the wrestling team is that important to you?

TOBY: Yes. Cuz now I'm a jock. Nerd Toby is no more.

ASHLEY: Well, jockstrap. There are two of those giant chocolate muffins you like in the bread cupboard.

TOBY: Not hungry.

ASHLEY: That's what you said yesterday. And the day before that.

TOBY: Thank-you Mom. (Grabs backpack and heads towards the door)

ASHLEY: So you're not eating breakfast?

TOBY: No. Now go back to sipping your blood and leave me alone. (Leaves)
School hallway. Muhammad is sitting behind a table with jackets on it.

MUHAMMAD: You make the team, you get a windbreaker. (Hands Toby one) Congratulations buddy. (Toby puts it on and walks to Kendra and Nadia)

TOBY: Hey, Nadia. Take a picture.

NADIA: For the yearbook?

TOBY: yeah, sure. Today's a momentous occasion. (Strikes a stupid pose and Nadia takes the picture) Ok, now Kendra stand here… Act like you're in awe of me. Grab my arm if you like.

KENDRA: Um, I think I'll pass. So, big meet today We'll be there to cheer you on.

TOBY: My own personal fan club. Cool. Catch ya… lata. (Kendra and Nadia are weirded out)

KENDRA: (mouthing, no sound) ok, let's go. (They leave)

JT: (walking up) So, you got your new wind breaker, huh?

TOBY: Cool, huh?

JT: Did you get a new personality to go with it? Catch ya… lata.

TOBY: That's how wrestlers talk.

JT: Cool… not.

TOBY: Are you jealous cuz I'm on a team and you're just a mascot?! Great. (Walks away)

Mr Simpson’s class. Paige, hazel and Terri are checking out Terri’s modeling website.

HAZEL: That mini skirt photo is wow.

PAIGE: I'd totally wear it… if I was a plus.

HAZEL: So when's the next sh**t?

TERRI: Today, but my agent called and canceled.

PAIGE: Nice, another lie from Miss McGregor.

TERRI: It's not a lie. (Softer voice) I don't wanna go, ok?

PAIGE: Not ok. You're in a national ad campaign.

TERRI: It wasn't national when I agreed to do it.

PAIGE: So that's it?

TERRI: That… and what Muhammad said.

MR. SIMPSON: (coming into classroom) Good morning. Five seconds to home room lift off.

PAIGE: Who cares what Muhammad said? This discussion is not over.

MR. SIMPSON: Oh, yes it is Paige. Or it will be in 3, 2, 1. (Bell rings)

Cafeteria. Toby is in line and only has an apple on his plate.

ASHLEY: (walks up to him) Big meet today. Doing anything special to get ready? (Toby shrugs) Or maybe not doing something? Like not eating.

TOBY: Not this again.

ASHLEY: Toby, you're normally a garborator.

TOBY: I'm just not hungry these days.

ASHLEY: Fine, I'll just take this up with Mom and Jeff.

TOBY: (to Sheila) Bacon cheeseburger supreme, chunky fries, extra Sheila sauce.

SHEILA: hey, easy big guy. I gotta feed a whole school. (Gives Toby a plate of food) There you go lumberjack.

TOBY: See (takes a bite of burger) Eating. Happy? (Takes another bite. Ashley and Mr. Armstrong, who's on the background just look at him)

Boy’s washroom. Toby is standing in front of the mirror. He goes into a stall. JT comes in and starts fixing his hair. Toby throws up.

JT: Toby? Is that you? (Heads over toward the stall)

TOBY: (flushing toilet) Sheila's special sauce ain't so special.

JT: oh

TOBY: Can you leave me alone?

JT: Do you want the nurse or something?

TOBY: No. Just some privacy… now. (JT walks out of the bathroom and to his locker. Ashley comes up to him)

ASHLEY: JT.

JT: Oh, hey Ashley. I was wondering when you were going to tune into my love vibe.

ASHLEY: Let's skip your little fantasy.

JT: Ok, let's talk about yours.

ASHLEY: JT, I'm worried about Toby.

JT: I know. He's been acting so weird and crabby lately… But, he is in training.

ASHLEY: Training for an eating disorder.

JT: I'm pretty sure Toby's a guy. I mean, that's girl stuff.

ASHLEY: No it isn't. Guys can have it too. So if you notice anything, I wanna know.

Mr. Simpson’s class. Toby is staring blankly at his computer and blinking. JT notices.

MR. SIMPSON: Ok, pop quiz. Click on the pop quiz link. You have 15 minutes and when time's up, the test will automatically end. (Walks to Toby) Are you ok? Do you want to see nurse Henderson?

TOBY: No, I'm fine, Mr. Simpson. (Mr Simpson walks away)

The bus stop where Terri’s ad is. She's sitting down, talking on her cell phone.

TERRI: (on phone) Anne Marie please. I need to cancel a sh**t… yeah, she can call me back. (Hangs up phone)

SPINNER: (walking up) Terri?

TERRI: (getting up) More Grrrl can find a new model. (Starts to walk away)

SPINNER: Why? Ok, none of my business I just think it's too bad you're giving up.

TERRI: (stops walking) Spinner, I dreamt of being a model… for years. But not a plus sized. Not (puffs out cheeks)

SPINNER: So, you're not some twig. You think guys really like that?

TERRI: Don't you?

SPINNER: Sometimes. But lots of time guys like girls like you, with a figure.

TERRI: Girls like me. You mean fat?

SPINNER: Terr, you're pretty.

TERRI: You don't have to lie.

SPINNER: I'm not. Terr, you're really pretty. And any guy who tells you different is blind or jealous. So, just tell them to shut up.

Boys locker room. Toby is sitting on a bench, rubbing his eyes. JT comes in.

JT: Hey (sits down) Toby, you look awful… I caught you yakking.

TOBY: That was Sheila's sauce.

JT: That was you… Ash and I are worried.

TOBY: You've been talking to her? Behind my back? (Gets up)

JT: (gets up too) Toby, don't wrestle.

TOBY: What?!

JT: Don't wrestle.

TOBY: there's a gym full of people waiting for me...me. And I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna win. And not 3rd place in some geek contest.

MR. ARMSTRONG: (coming in) Isaacs. Weigh in. Let's go. (Toby leaves)

Gym. Toby is sitting on a bench with his fellow wrestlers. His vision is blurry.

MR. ARMSTRONG: Next up for Degrassi, Toby Isaacs. (Crowd cheers and Toby goes to the mat) Shake hands. (They do and begin to wrestle. Toby’s opponent knocks him down, but Toby gets back up. He then collapses) Toby? (Ashley and JT run up to him)

JT: Toby?

ASHLEY: Toby?

MR. ARMSTRONG: Give him some air. (In the stands, Kendra and Nadia look worried)

JT: Buddy, wake up.

ASHLEY: Toby?

MR. ARMSTRONG: Toby?

The sidewalk. Terri, Paige, and Hazel are looking at Terri’s newest modeling pictures.

TERRI: look at the touched sh*t. (Hands photo to Paige)

PAIGE: So nice. (They walk by an ice cream stand where Muhammad is working)

MUHAMMAD: Hey, look who it is. It's the more of everything girl. Hey, you know what? I think you should join our sumo team. Seriously. (The girls turn away, but Terri walks up to him)

TERRI: Hey, most girls on the planet look like this. So get used to it.

PAIGE: No kidding.

TERRI: I made 500 bucks today as a plus sized model. Yeah, plus sized. What do you make, ice cream boy? (Walks away)

PAIGE: Nice Terri. (She, Terri and Hazel laugh)

Kerwin-Isaacs kitchen. Toby is sitting down with an ice pack on his wrist.

JT: (comes in) Hey. You ok?

TOBY: Ash is on the phone with my dad. He's on his way.

JT: You're off the team, right?

TOBY: Mr. Armstrong chewed me out. He said I was playing with my life.

JT: Listen Tobes. You can cry if you want, but I'm not giving you a hug.

TOBY: At least I gave everyone a good laugh.

JT: Hardly. Word got out, people freaked. Even Sean asked if you were ok. (Toby shakes his head) The whole school was worried… I had a nice little chat with Kendra. She's like. (in a girly voice) I hope he's ok, I'm so worried. (Both guys smile) So… still think you're invisible Tobes?

End