04x14 - Down the Rabbit Hole

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*

Moderator: DelenaForever

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

04x14 - Down the Rabbit Hole

Post by bunniefuu »

[The Island]

(Damon is tied to a tree. Vaughn is here)

Vaughn: Something bothering you?

Damon: Would you believe me if I said mosquitoes?

Vaughn: Oh, aye, I would. How does it feel when a relentless eating machine is draining the blood from your veins?

Damon: Itchy

Vaughn: Your friends from Mystic Falls think you're funny, Damon?

Damon: You obviously know who I am and where I'm from. Have you been spying on me?

Vaughn: Aye. I have. You and Stefan, Elena, your witch Bonnie. Do you need her to cast the spell written on your pal Jeremy's hunter's mark...? A tattoo that looks exactly like this

Damon: You want to know something, just ask

Vaughn: I've been k*lling vampires my entire life. Still, this thing refused to reveal itself to me. That was, until 3 days ago, and it just magically completed for no apparent reason

Damon: Come on, man. Do I look like I know anything about tattoos? Look at my skin. It's flawless

Vaughn: Ah, you're not taking me seriously. I don't blame you. You don't know me. So let me introduce myself. My name is Galen Vaughn, and you'd better start talking

(Elena, Stefan and Rebekah are on the beach. Elena is on the phone with Caroline)

Caroline: Tell me you're not serious

Elena: I wish I weren't. When we got back from looking for Jeremy, Shane and Bonnie were both gone, too. Shane needs Bonnie to cast a spell on Jeremy's tattoo in order to find the cure, and he managed to sneak them both out from under our noses

Caroline: Well, where's Damon in all this?

Elena: We had an argument. I thought he was just taking a walk, but then when we went to the beach, we saw signs of a struggle

Caroline: Meaning what?

Elena: Meaning somebody probably jumped him and then grabbed him

Caroline: Do you think Shane took him?

Elena: No, I mean, he's not strong enough to take Damon on, even with the element of surprise. He must have someone or at least a few someones helping him

Caroline: I am so sorry. I wish I was there to help

Elena: Well, maybe there's something you can do from home

Caroline: Anything. Tell me

Elena: So Shane's looking for the cure. We think we can find him. We have pictures of Jeremy's tattoo, but we just can't translate the map

Caroline: Unless you get the hunter's sword from Klaus

Elena: Exactly

Rebekah: He'll never give up the sword

Stefan: Yeah, but if anyone's gonna get him to give it up, it's Caroline

Rebekah: He will never give up the sword, not even for Caroline. He's terrified we'll use the cure against him to make him mortal, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't want any of us to derive a moment's worth of happiness from being human

Stefan: Well, maybe he doesn't have to give it up. Klaus is stuck in Elena's house by Bonnie's spell. He can't go anywhere. There's only so many places you can hide a 3-foot piece of metal

Caroline: I'll find it. Don't worry. Just email me photos of Jeremy's tattoo. I'll find the sword and I'll call you back

Elena: Thank you, Caroline. Bye

[Gilbert's House]

(Caroline hangs up. Klaus is looking at her)

Klaus: Need my help with anything, love?

Caroline: Nope

(She leaves)

[The Island]

(Shane, Bonnie, Jeremy and the witch are walking. They enter a cave and finally arrive at the well)

Massak: This is as far as I go

Shane: We're on the brink of a monumental event in human history. We're gonna raise the most powerful immortal creature that ever was. Come on, our work's not done yet

Massak: Mine is. You said get the kid and the witch. I did. I want to get paid now

(Shane gives him the tombstone)

Massak: I'll say a prayer for your souls

(He leaves)

Bonnie: That's what the tombstone was for? To pay off a mercenary?

Shane: The core of that tombstone is made up of Qetsiyah's calcified blood. In some witch circles, that stone's more valuable than the hope diamond. So… So who wants to go down first?

[Gilbert's House]

(Caroline and Tyler enter with a laptop and the sword)

Klaus: Well, if it isn't little orphan Lockwood. Come to show how laughably impotent you are against me?

Tyler: I'm just trying to help my friends find the cure. Found this in your attic

Klaus: And you think finding the sword brings you closer to the cure?

Tyler: You tell me. I was playing around with the handle on the ride over... And I found this

Klaus: And what do you think this is?

Caroline: It's called a cryptex. I've seen "The Da Vinci Code." You turn the different sides to the different symbols to get the translation on the other side. And, with the magic of the Internet, Elena sent over these

(She shows him the pictures of Jeremy's tattoo)

Caroline: So now all we have to do is cryptex away. If you happened to want to help, we wouldn't stop you

Klaus: Right. Well, might I suggest using the magic of the Internet to purchase an Aramaic-to-English dictionary from your nearest retailer?

Tyler: What's Aramaic?

Caroline: It's a dead language. It hasn't been used since, like, biblical times

Klaus: Qetsiyah's native tongue, I'm guessing. You know, even if you had the best dictionary in the world, it could take days to translate... Perhaps weeks. "In bas so-teen-too ara-ma-eet."

Tyler: What does that mean?

Klaus: "If only you spoke Aramaic."

[The Island]

(Rebekah is trying to find signal. Elena is sitting with Stefan)

Elena: And, once again, everyone's life is in danger looking for this cure because poor Elena can't deal with being a vampire

Stefan: No, everyone's here because they want to be. Not just for you, but for themselves, too

Elena: Stefan, why didn't you tell me that you wanted the cure for yourself?

Stefan: I mean, why wouldn't I want to take it? I've seen every side of vampirism there is. The power... The misery, the guilt. In the long run, even the good parts kind of suck, too

Elena: Yeah, I mean, I know why you would want to take it, but... All I'm saying is... Why didn't you tell me?

Stefan: 'Cause it had nothing to do with you. I mean, you know how much I wanted a human life with you, being human myself, being normal... that's something I've wanted since long before I met you

Elena: Well, I'm glad you told me now

Stefan: Yeah, what's a deeply buried personal secret between friends, right?

Elena: Between friends? I like that

(Vaughn and Damon are walking through the woods. Damon is still tied)

Damon: Mind telling me where we're going?

Vaughn: At the wishing well lies an entrance to a crypt. In the crypt lies Silas. And with Silas lies the cure, which will allow me to k*ll Silas, bring the mission of the brotherhood of the 5 to an end. You're my leverage, Damon; I use you to get your witch friend to open the passage to Silas' crypt for me

Damon: Wait a minute. You're using me to get to Bonnie Bennett? Whoa, brother. Heh! You picked the wrong vampire

Vaughn: I guess we'll see about that

Damon: Here's the deal, Shrek. My witch friend will open the passage for you. No leverage necessary. We don't care about Silas. All we want is the cure, so you cut us in on your share, we'll get out of your hair

Vaughn: You really don't understand, do you?

[Gilbert's House]

(Caroline and Tyler have finally translated the symbols)

Caroline: Ok, this is it. We've translated all the symbols on the tattoo. "Passage inside... Requires a young senator and a pretty flower." Ok, none of this makes sense

[The Island]

Damon: No, I don't understand, so why don't you explain it?

Vaughn: Silas is immortal. I have to cram the cure down his throat in order to k*ll him

Damon: Yeah, what does it have to do with me and my friends?

[Gilbert's House]

Klaus: "Requires a powerful witch and a hunter in full bloom."

Tyler: What are you doing?

Klaus: I don't need to tell you my reasons. Bring my sword over here

[The Island]

Vaughn: I need to use the cure against Silas. Your friends, they can't exactly have it, now, can they?

Damon: So you use it on Silas, and we'll use it for whoever wants to use it

[Gilbert's House]

Klaus: "Silas rests on the far side, the means of his destruction at hand." Turn the cryptex to the right

(She turns it)

Klaus: Stop. The top of the hilt reveals a key to a nautical map. Turn it to the left

(She turns it)

Klaus: Now turn the other piece

(She turns it)

Klaus: Wait. There's something else

[The Island]

Damon: You don't want to share it with us?

Vaughn: Even if I wanted to, I couldn't

Damon: And why can't you share it?

Vaughn: So it is written

[Gilbert's House]

Caroline: What does that mean? .Klaus, what does it mean?

[The Island]

Vaughn: There is only one dose

(Jeremy is already in the wall. Bonnie is climbing down with a rope and she falls)

Jeremy: You ok?

Bonnie: Yeah, I just slipped

(She's cut her hand. Her blood spills on the ground)

Jeremy: It's okay

Bonnie: Thanks

Shane: Hey, guys, I'm coming down

(He's climbing down)

Jeremy: Hey, Bon. What do you think's gonna happen once you cast a spell on my tattoo and there's nothing in between Shane and Silas?

Bonnie: Do you trust me?

Jeremy: Yeah, of course

Bonnie: Then trust me when I promise I won't let Shane raise Silas

Jeremy: Just don't do anything stupid. If your expression gets out of hand, Shane is the only one that could help you keep it in control

Bonnie: Don't worry about me. I'm fine. But if Shane tries to lift a finger on his hand to hurt either one of us... I'll k*ll him myself

(Rebekah's phone rings)

Rebekah: Hello?

Caroline: Hey, it's Caroline. We have the translation of the tattoo. We're emailing you pictures of the map and instructions right now

Rebekah: Got it. Thanks

Klaus: Actually, it was me

Rebekah: Nik, you helped?

Klaus: You sound so surprised, little sister

Rebekah: Shouldn't I be? I mean, you don't want me to be human. You don't want any of us to be human. Why would you help us find the cure?

Klaus: Maybe I finally realized the longer I stand in the way of what you want, the longer you'll continue to hate me. Perhaps I want my sister to finally know happiness

Rebekah: Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me a hundred times...

Klaus: No more fooling. No more games. I hope you get to live, and die, as you wish

Rebekah: So do I

Klaus: There is one more thing, Rebekah. There is only one dose of the cure. You need to find it fast and take it. It's the only way you'll...

(Caroline rushes to hang up)

Rebekah: Nik. Nik!

(Damon and Vaughn are still walking through the woods and Damon is still tied. Vaughn touches him)

Damon: You touch me again...

Vaughn: And you'll what? thr*aten me? Sorry if you're upset about the cure, Damon, but we've got road to cover

Damon: I don't care about the cure. In fact, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to be a vampire. You know why? If I wasn't a vampire, then I wouldn't be able to do 9 of the things I'm gonna do to you when I'm free

(Vaughn touches him again)

Damon: Make that 10

Vaughn: Right

Damon: All right, I admit, ok? My friends want the cure, and I want them to have it, and I get very upset when I can't provide for my loved ones. But tell me something, Vaughn, if all you're worried about is Bonnie the teenage witch, then why'd you save Jeremy and Elena yesterday?

Vaughn: How did I do that?

Damon: Big guy. White paint all over him. Stuck a hatchet in his spine

Vaughn: I don't remember doing such a thing

Damon: We're on a remote island. There's you, me, and a bunch of unpleasant locals. You expect me to believe that someone else took out that monster truck of a human being that went after Jeremy and Elena?

Vaughn: I'm telling you, it wasn't me

(They find Massak's body)

Damon: Was that you?

Vaughn: No. You?

Damon: No

Vaughn: I reckon there really is someone else on this island

(Shane is looking around the well. Jeremy and Bonnie are with him)

Shane: It's just amazing, isn't it? Once we raise Silas, all of our sacrifices will have been worthwhile; we'll all have what we want

Bonnie: Or he'll k*ll us all

Shane: Listen, you're gonna see I'm right. Just so you don't get any ideas, remember, anything happens to me, something a lot worse will happen to you

Jeremy: All right. Where's this stupid magic passage she needs to open?

Shane: Just look for anything that looks out of place, all right? Anything not occurring in nature, like a drawing or an inscription or...

(He sees something on the ground)

Shane: Geometrically perfect circle. This is it. This is the spot

(Rebekah, Stefan and Elena are walking)

Elena: What did Caroline say?

Rebekah: I don't know. We lost the signal. Come on. This way

(They stop. They're on a top of a mountain. They look down. Rebekah looks at her phone)

Rebekah: We need to get down and across. Advantage, vampires: All we have to do is jump

Elena: Wait, wait. Um... Maybe you should leave the map behind. In case you fall, you don't want anything to happen to the phone

Rebekah: Are we doing this again? I thought we were a team

Stefan: Guys, we don't have time for this. Elena, you go first. We'll be right behind you

(She jumps. He's about to jump but Rebekah stops him)

Rebekah: There's something you should know about the cure

(Jeremy is shirtless. Bonnie is about to perform the spell. She tries to concentrate)

Shane: Now you're doing it. Just breathe, all right? Focus on what you can do. Don't be afraid of what you can't. You can do this

Jeremy: Remember, just like you taught me. You're in control

(She finally calms herself)

Shane: That's it. It's just like drawing breath. Now just pull the power into you

(She finally casts the spell. The tattoo slowly disappears)

(Damon and Vaughn are still walking. He sees that he's tattoo is disappearing)

Vaughn: Looks like your witch is casting her spell

(Stefan and Rebekah haven't jumped yet)

Stefan: So you're sure that Klaus is telling the truth, that there is only one dose of the cure? Well, I guess that's what happens when you're dumb enough to hold out hope

Rebekah: There's still hope for one of us, but even if I felt pity for you, if I wanted to ease your pain so I gave you the cure to take for yourself, you'd give it to Elena, wouldn't you?

(He doesn't answer)

Rebekah: That's what I thought. Well, I'm sorry that it couldn't work out the way we all wanted it to

(She breaks his neck)

(Jeremy is lying on the ground)

Jeremy: Bonnie?! Bonnie?!

Bonnie: I'm fine

(He rejoins her. The see that the spell has worked)

Bonnie: Look. It worked

Jeremy: You did it

Bonnie: We did it

Shane: Hey, guys, c... I need a hand. My leg's broken

Bonnie: Best to stay off it, then

Shane: Bonnie. Wait, wait. Don't... Come on. Bonnie! Help me! Come on! Please! Help me!

(Vaughn and Damon arrive in the cave)

Vaughn: Well, here we are

Damon: Looks like someone b*at us to the punch

Vaughn: That's a shame, Damon. I have no use for you anymore. Have to k*ll ya

Damon: Ditto. You know, that pesky hunter's curse and all

Damon: All right. How do you want to do this?

Vaughn: I'll make it quick and painless

Damon: Wish I could make the same promise

(He frees himself)

Damon: I'm gonna k*ll you. And then I'm gonna get to that damn cure, and I'm gonna give it to the girl that I love

Vaughn: Your attachment to your friends will be the end of you

Damon: You don't know my friends...

(Rebekah enters)

Damon: Or my enemies

(Elena has rejoined Stefan)

Elena: There's only one cure? I can't take it. I mean, not above everyone else who deserves it just as much as I do. It's over

Stefan: I'm sorry

Elena: Don't be. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise

Stefan: How so?

Elena: Things changed the minute that I went off that bridge, Stefan. Even if I could be human again, I wouldn't be the person that I was so it's about time that I accept the person that I am now and figure out a way... To start living the rest of my life

Stefan: The rest of your life... Sired to Damon

Elena: I guess we'll have to deal with that when I get home. Oh, my God... Home. Klaus. Bonnie's spell isn't gonna hold him

Stefan: And after what we did to Kol, if we don't ram that cure down his throat, he'll k*ll us all

Elena: Pity party over. We have to go
[Gilbert's House]

(Tyler and Caroline go on the porch)

Tyler: Every time I think I have him, that son of a bitch gets the upper hand

Caroline: We won't let him hurt you. Stefan and Elena will bring back the cure

Tyler: If they get to it first. And if they don't, Klaus kills me. I need to get out of town to figure out how I'm gonna stay alive...

Caroline: Wait, hang on, ok? Gosh! Before you get all doomsday, just... at least let me try and talk to him

Tyler: He's got nothing to lose, Care. His brother's dead, his hybrids are gone. All he wants right now is blood, starting with mine

Caroline: I'm not gonna say good-bye to you again, do you understand me? Let me fix this

[The Island]

(Rebekah and Damon are circling Vaughn)

Damon: Are we gonna dance or are we gonna play?

Rebekah: You know he can't hurt me, Damon, unless he's got the white oak stake

Vaughn: Oh, he doesn't, but he's got other toys

(He sh**t her. She att*cks him but he stakes her. She collapses. Damon att*cks him but Vaughn stops him)

Stefan: Damon!

(Vaughn jumps in the well. Stefan and Elena look at him)

Damon: You're wasting time. Just get the cure. Go

Elena: We're not gonna leave you

Stefan: No, we aren't. You need to go ahead. We'll be right behind you. Go!

(She jumps in the well)

(Bonnie and Jeremy are in the caves)

Bonnie: Look at us. A newbie hunter and a witch who needs adult supervision

Jeremy: How are we the ones that made it this far? I'm glad we're here together

Bonnie: Me, too

Jeremy: Where is "here," exactly?

Bonnie: This way

Jeremy: How do you know?

Bonnie: I just know

(She's looking at her grams)

Sheila: Hello, Bonnie

Bonnie: Hi, grams. What are you doing here, grams?

Sheila: This place allows the living to talk to the dead

Jeremy: Bonnie, what's going on?

Bonnie: I am so sorry about what happened

Sheila: It's ok. You're here now. And you are this close to bringing me back to life for good

Bonnie: How?

Sheila: Silas can do it. All you have to do is reach him and feed him, and everything will go back to the way it was

Jeremy: Bonnie, stop! Hey, you're not seeing your grams. If she were here, I'd be able to see her, and I can't. It's not her ghost. It's a hallucination. What you're seeing, it isn't real. It's me. Your grams isn't here. I'm here. I'm real, ok?

Bonnie: Jer… What happened?

Jeremy: Silas. He was in your head. He was trying to control you

Bonnie: And Shane. Illusions of his wife. That's how Silas controls him

Jeremy: You need to block him out of your mind. Close your eyes. Listen to my voice and only my voice. I'm gonna get us there

[Gilbert's House]

(Klaus is sitting. Caroline enters alone)

Caroline: You can't k*ll Tyler

Klaus: Not only can I, I have to. I have a reputation to uphold. Moreover, I want to

Caroline: I'm not asking you to forgive him. All I'm asking is that you let him live, somewhere far from here

Klaus: So he gets to live a happy life after he turned all my hybrids against me, after he tried to k*ll me, after he made it his life's mission to find the cure so he could use it against me...

Caroline: We all want the cure

Klaus: Do we? Do you?

Caroline: It doesn't matter. There's only one, so it's not like I'm gonna get it anyway

Klaus: But if you could... You wouldn't, would you? You prefer who you are now to the girl you once were. You like being strong, ageless, fearless. We're the same, Caroline

Caroline: Then show me. You know how much I love Tyler. You can see how scared I am to lose him. If you and I are so similar, then show me your compassion. Show him the mercy that I would show you

Klaus: Mercy… for Tyler? Very well. Tell him to leave town immediately. And tell him to run and hide in a place I will never find him

Caroline: Of course

Klaus: Tell him that this is the mercy I extend for your sake... That I will give him a head start before I k*ll him

[The Island]

(Stefan finally frees Damon)

Stefan: All right, come on. We have to catch up

Damon: No, it's ok. I just need a minute. I'm only gonna slow you down. Go. She only needs one of us

Stefan: And what? You don't care to be that one anymore? You finally decided it was easier to just walk away?

Damon: There's only one dose of the cure, Stefan. If she wants to take it, you want her to. I don't. Just do what makes her happy, Stefan

Stefan: Things have changed. It's not that easy anymore

Damon: It is right now. Get your ass down the well. Help Elena get the damn thing. Come on

(Elena is in the caves)

Elena: Stefan? Hello

Voice: Elena…

(Someone att*cks her)

Elena: No

[Gilbert's House]

(Caroline and Tyler are on the porch)

Caroline: How many times are we gonna have to say good-bye?

Tyler: At least this time we have a minute to do it the right way

Caroline: There isn't a right way

Tyler: This isn't good-bye. This is... Until we find a way. We're immortal, remember? We will find a way

Caroline: What if we don't? Tell me that you'll never think of me again. Tell me that you'll forget about me, tell me that you are gonna go on and live a full and happy life without me

Tyler: I will live a happy life without you. I will forget all about you. And I will never, ever... Think about you again

Caroline: Until we find a way

[The Island]

(Stefan is in the well. He looks at Shane)

Shane: Hey, I don't suppose you'd want to share a little of that vampire blood

Stefan: Where are Jeremy and Bonnie?

Shane: I have no idea

Stefan: Stop lying

Shane: I'm not lying… But if you help me, I will take you the rest of the way, I promise

Stefan: Did you know this whole time that there was only one cure?

Shane: What? No. How could I? I've never seen it. Look, everything I ever said and did was just to bring back my family, I swear

Stefan: Well, then you know what it's like to have hope, and now you know what it feels like to lose it

(He leaves)

Shane: Come on. Come on!

(Caitlin appears)

Shane: Caitlin. I'm sorry, Caitlin. I failed you

Caitlin: No. you didn't

Shane: I'm sorry. I tried

Caitlin: You did everything I asked you to. Everything is going to be just fine

(Bonnie and Jeremy finally reach Silas. Jeremy gets closer and sees a little box in his hands)

Jeremy: Is this it? This is the cure? How is that supposed to cure every vampire in the world?

Bonnie: I don't think it is, Jer

Jeremy: It's stuck. Help me move it

(She helps him but they can't get it)

Bonnie: It's, like, fossilized in place. It's like trying to bend stone. Oh my god…

Jeremy: What? What Bonnie?

Bonnie: He's been frozen like a vampire statue for 2,000 years. There's only one way we're gonna get this statue to unfreeze

Jeremy: How's that?

Bonnie: We have to feed him our blood. If we want to get the cure out of his hands, we... We have to wake him up

(Damon removes the stakes from Rebekah. She regains consciousness)

Rebekah: You're alive

Damon: Yeah

Rebekah: Why didn't you go with them?

Damon: I needed a siesta

Rebekah: You gave up, didn't you?

Damon: I didn't give up. I just realized... You can't control everything... No matter how hard you try. Let's just say I made peace with that fact

Rebekah: Peace? You love Elena. You always will. If she becomes human, she may not feel the same way about you. You'll never know peace

Damon: Life sucks. Get a helmet

Rebekah: You did something selfless, Damon. If I didn't know better, I'd say you were becoming a halfway decent person

(Jeremy is still trying to get the cure)

Jeremy: Come on!

Bonnie: There's got to be a way to do this without raising him. We'll find a way…

(She's stabbed by Vaughn)

Vaughn: Don't listen to the witch, boy. We have to raise Silas, and we have to do it now

Jeremy: Bonnie! What are you doing?

Vaughn: What you should have done already. I'm gonna raise Silas... Then I'm gonna k*ll him. You're a bit confused, Mr. Gilbert. We're on the same team here

(They fight and Vaughn breaks Jeremy's arm)

Jeremy: You stabbed my friend!

Vaughn: I don't mess around with witches

Jeremy: You can't use the cure on Silas

Vaughn: It's what it's meant for! What else would you use it for? Your friends…. Your sister… Sorry, lad. It wasn't meant for that. Nothing personal

(He's about to k*ll him but Elena intervenes and is about to break his neck)

Jeremy: Don't! The hunter's curse!

Elena: You okay?

[Gilbert's House]

(Caroline is still outside. Klaus comes out)

Caroline: How did you get out?

Klaus: I fear something awful has befallen your friend Bonnie. Don't worry, love. You know I'd never hurt you

Caroline: You've done enough

Klaus: I've done more than enough. I've shown kindness, forgiveness, pity... Because of you, Caroline. It was all for you

[The Island]

(Stefan is in the tunnels. He sees blood on the walls and finally finds Elena, unconscious)

Stefan: Elena. What happened?

Elena: She's here

Stefan: Who?

(Jeremy is with Bonnie)

Jeremy: Elena's here now, ok? Everything's gonna be all right

Bonnie: We did it

(As we've learn it's Katherine who's with them and not Elena)

Katherine: Come on. We got to get you up

Jeremy: You have to help Bonnie. The hunter stabbed her. You have to feed her

Katherine: Ok. I just need to make sure that you're ok first

Jeremy: I'm fine. What are you doing?

Katherine: The cure. Jeremy, after everything we've been through, it's right there

Jeremy: It'll be there after we help Bonnie

Katherine: God, I forgot what a brat you were

Jeremy: What?

Katherine: I'm done playing nice

(She feeds his blood to Silas)

Jeremy: Katherine

Katherine: It's been too long, little Gilbert. Sorry. Family reunion is gonna have to be cut short

(She takes the cure and leaves. Silas kills Jeremy)