05x02 - True Lies

Episode transcripts for the TV show "The Vampire Diaries". Aired September 2009 - March 2017.*

Moderator: DelenaForever

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

A high school girl is torn between two vampire brothers.

05x02 - True Lies

Post by bunniefuu »

[Salvatore’s House]

(Bonnie is with Jeremy)

Bonnie: It was supposed to be a nice family event. Just stopped in to see my dad. Then Silas showed up. He said he was testing how powerful his mind control had become

Silas: Nobody make a sound or move a muscle

Bonnie: The entire town did exactly what he said. He didn't want any witnesses, so he told them to forget what he did. They watched my dad die, and they couldn't do anything or tell anyone. What are you gonna do? You gonna hug me?

Jeremy: I want to

Bonnie: But you can’t. You can't touch me, and I can't touch you because I'm dead just like my dad except he's not supernatural, so I don't get to see him on the other side. He's just dead. Silas is using his mind control to find Katherine. He told everyone in the town square to keep an eye out for anyone that looks like Elena. Whatever he wants with Katherine... We can't let him have it

[Middle of the Road]

(Katherine comes out of the woods and stops a car. A woman comes out)

Woman: You ok, hun? You're gonna get yourself sick out here

Katherine: Thank you so much for stopping

Woman: You ok just like Elena Gilbert

Katherine: Actually, I'm much prettier

Woman: Katherine Pierce, right? I'm supposed to be keeping my eye out for you

(She sprays something in Katherine’s eyes. She screams and then assaults the woman and hits her)

Katherine: Damn it! Unh!

(Matt comes out of the woods, holding her at gunpoint)

Matt: Hurts, doesn't it? Not as much as this will

Hallucination

[A quarry]

(Stefan and Elena are together)

Elena: We could be doing anything right now, Stefan, be anywhere. Why here, why this?

Stefan: These are the good moments, the simple ones, the ones that matter. These are the moments that keep me from falling apart

Elena: This can't last forever. You're just distracting yourself

(Suddenly, she coughs water)

Stefan: Elena, Elena, Elena. Elena! No

[Whitmore College]

(Elena comes back in their dorm)

Elena: Megan's memorial outside is growing by the minute

Caroline: Ugh. College kids are so dramatic. She was on campus for, like, one day. She couldn't have made that many friends

Elena: Caroline, she's dead. You can stop competing with her

Caroline: Sorry. I'm in a mood

Elena: You talked to Tyler?

Caroline: He's deferring from enrolling and deferring from returning my phone calls, so I'm deferring from having sex with him ever again

Elena: How's the snooping going? Any explanation why our Vervain-laced... Vampire-slaughtered roommate had a picture of my dad on her phone?

Caroline: No

Elena: Oh! I went by the hospital this morning. Megan’s death certificate. It says she d*ed of su1c1de. No mention of the gaping vampire bites on her neck. So whoever signed off on the cause of death was part of the cover-up just like the Founders Council back home

Caroline: Dr. Wesley Maxfield

Elena: AKA our applied microbiology T.A. I switched our classes around so that we can…

Caroline: applied what… what? Uh, Elena, we are supposed to be taking intro to communication. What happened to getting drunk and making bad decisions about boys? What happened to our fun freshman year at college? I am supposed to be a drama major!

Elena: You're not going to be an anything major if we get exposed as vampires! We are still gonna have our fun year, Caroline, but we have to protect ourselves. The way Damon kept his secret in Mystic Falls was because he infiltrated the Founders Council. So bust out those alleged acting skills, and let's get on it, ok?

[The Quarry]

(Damon and Liz are here)

Liz: Damon, I know I said I'd help you find your brother, but I can't dredge the entire quarry. It's enormous

Damon: I'm aware of that. I mean, clearly that's why we wanted to dump Silas' body here because it's big and deep and no one would find him. Now say I'm Silas and I want to take over my doppelganger's life, why wouldn't I dump him in a place that's big and deep where no one would find him?

Liz: Damon, I already agreed to hold off on telling anyone about the mayor's death until you figure this all out, but I can't devote those kinds of resources to finding one person who may or may not be down there

Damon: But it's a place to start, and if Stefan's down there, it means he's been drowning over and over again all summer while I've been happily playing house with Elena. Do I need to further elaborate the source of my urgency?

Liz: I'll get some deputies on it

Damon: Thank you, Liz

(His phone rings. He answers)

Damon: Please tell me you found her

Jeremy: I didn't, but Matt did

Damon: Huh. How shockingly useful

[The woods]

(Katherine is in the car and Matt is with her)

Katherine: Those blue eyes, they made me soft. I should have ripped your head off when I had the chance

(Jeremy is still on the phone with Damon)

Jeremy: She was mid cat fight with some lady who maced her. We think Silas might have mind-controlled himself some new friends

Damon: How exactly did the Gilbert and Donovan brain trust put all that together? Never mind. Doesn't matter. Just hide her. If Silas wants her bad enough, to sic the whole town on her, that means we want her more. Stay out of sight. You're the last person Silas saw her with

(They hang up. Jeremy rejoins Matt and Katherine. Matt is tying Katherine up with ropes)

Katherine: Are these ropes really necessary?

Jeremy: b*llet would have been more effective, but we're trying to be nice. You crashed my car and left me to die

Katherine: You were gonna hand me over to Silas to get Stefan back. I was just protecting myself

Matt: How many people you k*lled using that excuse? Just be glad we got you some clothes

Katherine: Don't play the hero. You two are just waiting for the convenient time to hand me back over to him. I've done this a thousand times. I get it. I'm the leverage. I'm that thing that everybody wants. I'm the freaking Moonstone

[Whitmore College]

(Caroline and Elena arrive to class. They go take their seats and see Jesse)

Jesse: Hey. Blow-off girl. Aren't you a freshman? How are you in this class?

Caroline: What? Um, I love applied...Micro...Biology. It's like my favorite biology. You know, little things are just so cute!

Jesse: Are you going to the bonfire tonight, or are you just gonna get really close and then turn around and leave again?

Elena: She'll be there

Jesse: Sweet. We'll hang

(They go seat down)

Elena: What? You said you wanted to make bad decisions about boys. He's cute, he's interested, and most importantly, unlike Tyler, he's here

(The professor enters)

1.: Morning, everyone. I'm Dr. Maxfield. First name is Wes, but call me Dr. Maxfield. One day when you're out of med school, you'll understand. So you're all going to this bonfire tonight, right? Well, here's a quick history lesson for you. Whitmore was founded as a hospital during the Civil w*r, deadliest w*r in American history, over 600,000 casualties. Disease was so prevalent that once a week they had to gather all the dead, rotting bodies, put them in a pile, and light the whole thing on fire. So tonight when you're getting drunk and partying, stop for a second, close your eyes, and imagine the rancid smell of a hundred rotting corpses

Caroline: (whispering): Creep-y

1.: Which brings us to microbiology...

Elena (whispering): But hott-ie

1.: Because that rancid smell comes from a very specific bacteria

Elena: He is

1.: Isn't that right, chatty girls in the back?And what is that bacteria?

Elena: Uh, that's the, uh… um, I don't know

1.: Maybe because you're freshmen who shouldn't be in this class. How do I know? I'm observant, a skill you'll learn in Bio 101 down the hall

(Elena is outside. On the phone with Damon)

Elena: It was mortifying. We just sat there in silence

Damon: You want me to b*at him up?

Elena: Not yet. Whatever he knows, I'm gonna get it out of him

Damon: Did you compel him?

Elena: No, because chances are if he knows about vampires, then he also knows about Vervain

Damon: How about v*olence? Did you thr*aten him?

Elena: No. I didn't thr*aten him

Damon: At least tell you used t*rture

Elena: Damon!

Damon: You do realize that you are dating a reformed serial k*ller, right?

Elena: What would a hero do?

Damon: Pfft. That I have no idea

(She sees Silas but obviously, she thinks its Stefan)

Elena: Stefan?

Damon: I don't know. Probably mope at him

Elena: Stefan's here right now

Damon: What?

Silas: Turn off your phone

Damon: Elena? Whoa, whoa. That is not s…

(She hangs up)

Silas: I know you're upset that I didn't call, so I just wanted to apologize in person

Elena: Never do that again, ok? I thought something terrible happened to you

Silas: Well, something terrible did happen to me. You fell in love with my brother

Elena: Ouch

Silas: Can't blame me for needing a little bit of space

Elena: I know. Where did you go?

Silas: It's not important. I'm sure Damon will fill you in eventually

Elena: You talked to Damon? Because I just spoke to him, and he didn't really say anything

Silas: Oh. Weird. Maybe he has his hands full with the whole, you know, Jeremy situation

Elena: What Jeremy situation?

Silas: Oh, it's not a big deal. Jeremy got expelled

Elena: Expelled?!

Silas: Yeah, and then he and Damon got in this fight, and then Jeremy bolted

Elena: Wait. How do I not know about this? Where the hell is Jeremy?

Silas: That's why I'm here. I was hoping maybe you'd know

[A gas station]

(Matt stops to put gas in the car)

Katherine: Oh, thank God we're stopping. If I can only get out of the car

Matt: Well, you can't because as soon as we get gas, we're getting back on the road

(He gets out of the car)

Katherine: But I'm dying back here

Jeremy: You're not getting out of the car because you want an aspirin

Katherine: Then maybe I can get out of the car because I need to pee, like, in a bathroom like a lady

(He opens the door for her)

Jeremy: Hurry

Katherine: My throat is really scratchy, and my head hurts, like, right here. When I cough, it's green. So get me stuff for all that

Jeremy: Silas knows I'm with you. Sorry. I can't risk being seen

Katherine: Please

Jeremy: Fine

(She goes to the restrooms. When she goes out, she sees that Jeremy is not looking)

(Matt is inside and goes to pay for aspirin)

Matt: Just this

(The employee then sees Katherine)

Employee: Is that Elena Gilbert or Katherine Pierce?

(Matt sees that Katherine is leaving)

Matt: Jeremy, Katherine!

(Jeremy runs after her)

Jeremy: Stop running

[Whitmore College]

(Damon enters the girls’ dorm room. Caroline is in a towel)

Caroline: Damon! Towel! Knock!

Damon: Caroline, no one cares. No. Hey. Where's Elena?

Caroline: I don't know. She probably went to the bonfire to get more Intel on our weirdo professor

Damon: Silas is here. He's with Elena, pretending to be Stefan. Get dressed

Caroline: I thought that Stefan dropped his body in the quarry

Damon: Join the club. Get dressed

Caroline: Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Elena was right. All summer, she's had this pit in her stomach about Stefan

Damon: What?

Caroline: I don't know. She just said that she had this weird feeling that something was wrong with him

Damon: Put some clothes on. Meet me out there. We have to find her

(Elena is still with Silas)

Silas: Jeremy's still not answering. I'm gonna hold on to your phone in case he calls back

Elena: Why are you so worried about him?

Silas: Damon made a mess, and I want to clean it up

Elena: Did he really think that I wasn't gonna find out?

Silas: It's Damon. Are you surprised?

Elena: I just figured we were at a place where he wouldn't have to lie to me. Sorry. I, uh... I probably shouldn't be talking about this with you

Silas: It’s ok. I know exactly what you're thinking. Sorry. I don't mean to cut this short, but someone said they just saw Jeremy on Route 9. Do you know where he might be going?

Elena: Route 9? I mean, there was this old camp site that we used to go to when we were kids. Wait. Who texted you?

(Damon is looking for Elena)

Silas: Hello, brother. But I suppose distant nephew is probably more accurate

Damon: Where the hell's Elena?

Silas: Ohh. There's no need for v*olence, Damon. You'll find her eventually. There you go. Look. I get why you like her. I mean, I have a soft spot for brunettes, too.What I don't get is why she likes you

Damon: It's because you haven't had sex with me

Silas: Cockiness masking fear. How transparent

Damon: You expect me to believe you came all this way just to talk to her?

Silas: No. That doesn't really make much sense, does it, but if I told you exactly what I did, then it would ruin the fun. Enjoy the bonfire, Damon

(Damon and Caroline are at the bonfire)

Caroline: Why would Silas want to hurt her?

Damon: Because he wants to hurt me

Caroline: You know, if you just would have told the truth, all of this could have been avoided

Damon: Gee. Thanks, Caroline. Your hindsight is invaluable in this situation

Student: Watch where you're going, douche

Damon: Have you see Elena Gilbert?

Student: I have no idea who that is, and if I were her, I'd probably run from you, too

Damon: Wrong answer

(She compels him)

Caroline: Forget all this and get out of here

(The student leaves)

Caroline: You have to calm down

Damon: He turned the entire town square into a hunting party for Katherine. How am I supposed to calm down when every single person here could be working for Silas?

(Elena is alone trying to pour herself a beer. Jessie rejoins her)

Jessie: I got that

(She drinks)

Jesse: Whoa. I...

Elena: Boyfriend drama

Jessie: Wow. Boyfriend drama, kicked out of class… Today's not your day

Elena: What is his deal anyway?

Jessie: Dr. Dickfield?

Elena: Yeah, him

Jessie: Tell you what. Help me grab some more firewood, and I will tell you everything you need to know

Elena: Ok

(They go grab firewood)

Jessie: I had Dr. Maxfield for a few classes last year. He's a jerk, but he's brilliant, so I'll give him a pass

Elena: Brilliant and creepy

Jessie: There's a rumor that he's a part of this secret society on campus

Elena: What like middle-aged men at an Elk lodge?

Jessie: I have no idea. All I know is that a few times a week they supposedly meet at Whitmore house, but you didn't hear that from me

(Damon hits him)

Elena: Damon? What the hell?

Caroline: Seriously? That's Jesse! I kind of liked him
[The Woods]

(Katherine, Matt and Jeremy are a camp site. She looks at the r*fle)

Jeremy: Don't even think about it

Katherine: Please. I wouldn't even know how to use it. I've never sh*t a g*n in my life. Didn't need to. I was much more deadly

Matt: Key word… "was”. I'm gonna go get some wood for the fire. I'll be back

(He leaves)

Katherine: I survived childbirth, the death of my entire family, and 500 years of running from an immortal hybrid. You can understand why I'm a little upset that I am on the verge of being defeated by a sinus infection

(Matt is alone. Silas is here)

Silas: Not a word out of you .You can't talk, you can't scream

Matt: Yeah. Actually, I can. Jeremy, run!

Silas: Why can't I get inside your head? Now I see why. Somebody's already in there. Why are you watching me, Traveler? Odpovezete mi!

(He kills him)

[The Other Side]

(Matt wakes up)

Matt: Jeremy? Jeremy, hey. There you are, man. What… what the hell?

Bonnie: Freaky, isn't it, that feeling, the void, the emptiness?

Matt: Bonnie, what's going on? Where the hell am I?

Bonnie: The other side. Gilbert ring brought you here when you d*ed. That's how it works. Temporarily brings your spirit here. To go back, you have to reconnect to your body

Matt: My body's not even here

Bonnie: It's because each time you die you wake up farther and farther away from it, and you wander the other side until you find it

Matt: Wait. If I'm on the other side, how can you see me?

Bonnie: There's something you should know

[Whitmore College]

(Damon and Elena enter her dorm room)

Damon: All right. Before you get mad…

Elena: Mad can wait. Sit

Damon: Elena...Wait. Wait. As much as I'd like to do this right now... Silas got into your head, didn't he? What did Stefan tell you to do?

Elena: Get you alone, weaken you... And then k*ll you. Damon, I'm so sorry. I... What the hell is happening?

Damon: You're in some sort of Silas trance, but I think you snapped out of it

Elena: Silas? But I…

Damon: Before you ask, no. He's not in the quarry. It's a common misconception. You talked to him today

Elena: How is that possible? I… I was in a crowd full of people. I hugged him. I was talking to him about my life and about….

Damon: Me? I bet he had some choice things to say

Elena: Wait. If that was Silas, then where's Stefan? What happened to Stefan, Damon?Where is he?

Damon: Can we talk about this when you don't have that murdery look in your eyes?

Elena: You're right. Every time I look at you, all I want to do is k*ll you

Damon: It must be Silas' mind control. He's using your anger at me like a trigger. You have to resist it

Elena: I can't!

Damon: Elena, you have to resist it

Elena: I'm trying! Tell me what's going on

(Caroline is with Jesse)

Caroline: Sorry. This was all I could find out there. Sorry my friend went agro. He's got anger issues

Jessie: And a serious right hook but, hey, it got us alone together, so that's a win

Caroline: I have a boyfriend

Jessie: And where is he other than not here?

Caroline: Well, he's supposed to be here. He deferred a semester. You don't have to say anything. I know how these things go. People go to school, and they drift apart

Jessie: Yeah, and sometimes, they don't

Caroline: Exactly. Sometimes, they don't

Jessie: And sometimes, you change, but what you had still means something

Caroline: Yes, yes!

Jessie: And sometimes when you're thinking all those things, your girlfriend is moving on and sleeping with somebody back home and has no intention of getting back with you

Caroline: Oh, my God. Ugh. I'm so sorry

Jessie: It was a while ago, and honestly until the worst actually happened, I wouldn't listen to anybody tell me otherwise. I could always find an excuse, so I get it

[The Woods]

(Jeremy and Katherine arrive at the car)

Jeremy: Get in the truck and drive

Katherine: Where are you going?

Jeremy: I can't leave Matt

Katherine: Uh, wai… huh. How do you think I survived 500 years? It wasn't because I was a vampire. It's because I never looked back. Don't be dumb. Survive

Jeremy: That's why people treat you like an object and not like a person

[The Other Side]

Bonnie: It actually hasn't been so bad. I have Jeremy, and I see grams sometimes. Last night with my dad was the first really hard time. I'll be ok. I just have to get past these next few days

Matt: Bonnie, you don't have to pretend like it's ok. Your dad d*ed, and... You d*ed. It's not ok

Bonnie: It has to be because there's nothing I can do about it

Matt: I am so sorry

[The Woods]

(Jeremy is looking for Matt and finds him)

Jeremy: Matt!

Silas: I'd at least pretend to cry, which leads me to believe that he's not really dead. I take it that tacky ring somehow protects him

Jeremy: Too bad you can't get inside my head to find out for sure. Hunter's perk

Silas: Heh. See, that's what you don't get. When I can read your mind, I at least have use for you. Now I'm just gonna k*ll you

Jeremy: You can try, but none of your abilities work on me, so right now, you're nothing… slower than a vampire, weaker than a vampire. I on the other hand am a hunter. Plus I work out

(They fight)

Silas: You might be stronger than me, that I am immortal

(Katherine intervenes by sh**ting Silas)

Jeremy: I thought you said you didn't know how to use that

Katherine: I figured it out

[Whitmore College]

(Elena and Damon are still tied to their chairs)

Elena: Poor Bonnie. She must have tried to call me right after Silas stole my phone. Has anyone talked to her? Is she ok?

Damon: I don't know. I've had more important things to worry about

Elena: My best friend's dad d*ed. That's pretty damn important

Damon: Yeah? Well, so is protecting your brother, finding mine, and figuring out what the hell Silas wants

Elena: I just left. What the hell is wrong with you?

Damon: You're getting angry at me again, Elena. Remember, trigger

Elena: My brother got expelled! You've got him playing white knight to Katherine, who's tried to k*ll me... Repeatedly. Stefan's been…he's been suffering for months while I've been rolling around with you, a self-proclaimed serial k*ller. Oh, my God. Oh, my God!

Damon: Elena, that is the gas. Stop. You don't really want to k*ll me, Elena. You have to realize this before you're gonna break Silas' compulsion

Elena: I can't, ok? All I can think about is k*lling you!

Damon: Well, you're gonna have to think about something stronger than your desire to k*ll me, or you're gonna k*ll us both. Stefan, Stefan. Think about Stefan. Caroline told me you'd been worried about him, that you had a pit in your stomach. Describe it, tell me about it

Elena: What? No. I can't

Damon: Think about him. Think about the feelings you're getting. Describe it to me

Elena: It's a... It's a chill. I can't explain it, but it's like I can feel him. He's trying to reach out to me, but I don't know where he is, and I can't understand what he's trying to say. All I know is that he's scared, and he's lonely, and he's in a lot of pain. He's in a lot of pain. We have to find him

Damon: We will. I swear

Elena: The rage, it’s gone

(Caroline enters)

Caroline: I think we need to set some ground rules for when boyfriends come to visit

[The Other Side]

Matt: I think somebody moved my body. It's weird, but I can feel it. It's like I'm drawn to it

Bonnie: There it is

Matt: So if this happens every time I die with the Gilbert ring, the second I go back, that means I'm just gonna forget about all of this. I'll forget that you're dead. Bonnie, you and Jeremy can't keep this a secret anymore. I'm sorry your dad d*ed. I know it's hard, but how are you gonna deal with his death if you can't even deal with your own?

Bonnie: It's really good to see you, Matt

[The woods]

(Matt comes back to life)

Katherine: Welcome back to the land of the living

Matt: What the hell happened?

Jeremy: Yeah. Silas k*lled you, tried to k*ll me, then…

Katherine: I sh*t him. So we're even. No more whining. Let's go. Silas won't be down for long

Jeremy: Hey. I left the hatchet. I'll be right back

(He goes to see Bonnie)

Jeremy: Hey. You ok?

Bonnie: I'm not ready to be dead yet, Jeremy. I'm just not. Maybe I will be one day, but it's not today, and I don't know what to do about my dad or what to do when the sheriff calls because she's gonna call me…

Jeremy: it's ok. We'll get through this. I can tell everybody that you're with family, that it was too hard for you to be here. I might not be able to touch you or hold you, but I'm here for you no matter what you need

[A Gas Station]

(Silas enters. He’s hurt)

Man: Did you find that girl that you were looking for?

Silas: Yes, I did, and then she sh*t me, so I'm a little bit angry, and I'm a little bit hungry, but luckily, you can help me out with one of those things. Fill her up

(Nadia and the man who possessed Matt enter)

Silas: Oh, goody. Gypsies are here. Oh, I'm sorry. You call yourselves travelers now, right?

Traveler: It's much more P.C. You can call me whatever you want when I'm gutting you

Silas: I see. You're mad that I k*lled your blond-haired, blue-eyed host, right? That's what you get for taking over somebody's body to spy on me, but congrats. You found me, so now what?What do you want?

Traveler: You back in that tomb, sealed away for eternity

Nadia: That's what the travelers have always wanted. Luckily for you, I've never really considered myself one. I know you can see inside my mind, and I have my own agenda

Silas: Yes. I see that you do

[Whitmore College]

(Elena says goodbye to Caroline)

Elena: I'll be back, roomie. I don't know when, but I will be back

Caroline: Just call me the minute you hear from Bonnie, ok? I've left her, like, a hundred messages.

Elena: I will. I promise

Caroline: You're gonna find him, Elena

Elena: Yeah, I know

Caroline Bye

Elena: Bye

(She leaves. Dr. Maxfield rejoins her)

1.: I didn't think Elena Gilbert would give up so easily. Sorry about being a hard ass earlier. It's kind of my thing. You're Grayson Gilbert's daughter, aren't you?

Elena: You knew my dad?

1.: Knew of him. He's a legend around here. Brilliant. I've studied all his research. I can only hope to do the kind of work he did

Elena: So does that mean that he forged death certificates, too?

1.: And here I thought you were just passionate about microbiology. I have office hours tomorrow. Come by. We can chat

Elena: Um, yeah, I would, but I've got other important things on my plate right now

1.: Let me know when that plate clears

(He leaves)

Damon: Well, I guess that's how a hero would do it. Honesty. Who'd have thunk it? Aren't you the least bit curious about the whole "Nancy Drew and the creepster Professor" thing?

Elena: Caroline will take over. I can't stay here knowing that Stefan's out there somewhere

Damon: Yeah. Well...

(He shows her Stefan’s ring)

Elena: That's Stefan's daylight ring

Damon: Snagged it from Silas yesterday, and for the record, I am secure enough in our relationship that you having psychic dreams about your ex-boyfriend does not bother me... But it still sucks

Elena: I love you. We're gonna save Stefan, and I'm still gonna love you, ok?

(His phone rings)

Damon: Yeah?

Liz: We found something

[The Quarry]

(Elena and Damon have rejoined Liz. They have found the safe)

Liz: We didn't find anything in the quarry, but a deputy found this a few miles away. We didn't open it. Looks like it's been in there for 3 months. Chances are he's hungry

Elena: Oh, my God. That's not Stefan

Damon: You're right. He was hungry. Bet he still is