02x03 - Vanished

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "NCIS". Aired: September 2003 to present.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The cases of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

02x03 - Vanished

Post by bunniefuu »

FADE IN:

EXT. WEST VIRGINIA FARM - DAY

(SFX: CAR RADIO PLAYS B.G.)

(SFX: TRACTOR DRIVES DOWN THE DIRT ROAD/ BRAKES TO A STOP)

(MUSIC OUT)

(THEME MUSIC UP OVER OPENING TITLE/SCENES/ CREDITS AND OUT)

MUSIC IN:

INT. SQUAD ROOM - DAY

"VANISHED"

KATE: Most people tend to their personal hygiene at home.

TONY: This bothers you?

KATE: No, what bothers me is that it doesn't bother me anymore.

TONY: I'm an acquired taste.

MCGEE: Actually it's more like the Stockholm syndrome. The emotional attachment to a captor formed by a hostage, as a result of continuous stress and a need to cooperate for survival.

TONY: Nice sh*t.

GIBBS: Get the truck.

TONY: Where we going, Boss?

GIBBS: Smoky Corners, West Virginia. A Marine helo was found abandoned. Crew's missing.

KATE: Any leads?

GIBBS: You tell me... it's sitting in the middle of a crop circle.

MCGEE: Abby's going to make us crazy.

GIBBS: Come on, let's go!

CUT TO:

EXT. CORNFIELD - DAY

(SFX: HELICOPTER PASSES OVERHEAD)

TONY: I don't believe it.

KATE: They never make it easy.

TEAGUE: Lieutenant Colonel Curtis Teague... Squadron C.O., H-M-L-A one sixty seven.

GIBBS: Gibbs, NCIS. Colonel, your people have contaminated the scene.

TEAGUE: I'm missing two men, Gibbs. I wasn't going to sit on my ass and wait for NCIS to drive out from Washington.

GIBBS: Yeah, well we're going to have to take elimination prints from all your people.

TEAGUE: (SHOUTS) Stand down, men! Let NCIS do their job.

(MARINES SHOUT B.G.)

GIBBS: Any damage to the aircraft?

TEAGUE: No, the engine checks out. Hydraulic and avionics gear are operative, fuel load's at sixty percent.

GIBBS: When was your last contact with the crew?

TEAGUE: They took off from New River at twenty-three hundred on a routine night proficiency flight. Were cleared to a practice area over Chesapeake Bay. Flight controller lost the transponder signal ten minutes out. Tried to make radio contact. Never got a response. I was notified a half hour later.

GIBBS: How'd you find it?

TEAGUE: We were organizing to launch a search and rescue mission when I got a call from the local sheriff. The farmer that owns this field discovered it just after sunrise.

GIBBS: DiNozzo!

TONY: Yeah, Boss.

GIBBS: Sketch and sh**t. Kate, the cockpit. Trace evidence, bag and tag. McGee, the field. Lay out a grid.

KATE: Got it.

TEAGUE: We just started the air search. Hopefully we'll find them. I'm ignoring the fact that my aircraft is in the middle of a crop circle... what about you, Agent Gibbs? What are your thoughts?

GIBBS: Do I think your men were abducted by aliens, Colonel? No, I don't. But I'm not going to ignore anything. I need an overhead view of the field.

TEAGUE: Already took digital photos. Sergeant Ramos!

RAMOS: Sir!

TEAGUE: Camera!

GIBBS: Who are the missing men?

TEAGUE: Pilot is Captain Todd Newell. Co-pilot is Captain Patrick Barnett. Good Marines. But they're young pilots... hot sh*ts. The two are close. They share an apartment off base.

GIBBS: I'll need their officer qualification records and NATOPS jackets. (SHOUTS) McGee!

MCGEE: Yeah, Boss?

GIBBS: sh*ts of the crop circle. Email them to Abby.

MCGEE: Abby? Are you certain you want to do that? You know she's obsessed with the paranormal and... right. I'm on it.

GIBBS: I do not want UFO freaks crawling around here, Colonel. Let's keep a lid on this. No releases to the media.

TEAGUE: Agreed.

(CAMERA SHUTTER CLICKS)

(PASSAGE OF TIME)

TONY: I should've been an aviator. These things are chick magnets.

KATE: I hate helicopters. They're loud, uncomfortable and dangerous. I used to dread getting on Marine One with the President. Euu, Tony!

TONY: What?

KATE: You are getting way too comfortable around me. Okay, clipping your nails is one thing, but that... that is crossing the line.

TONY: Come on.

KATE: No, I'm serious. I have had enough of your locker room mentality. I would be upset if someone I was dating... dating took such familiarities.

TONY: Well, we work together, so feel free to scratch or adjust anything you like in front of me.

(PASSAGE OF TIME)

CLAY: I'm always up before the sun. It's only thirty acres, but it's a lot of work.

GIBBS: You didn't hear anything last night?

CLAY: Nothing. How long do you think it's going to be before they get that thing out of here? I've got work to do.

GIBBS: What do you think happened to your field?

CLAY: You're asking me? Ask the Air Force. This ain't the first crop circle here.

THOMPSON: We had one in nineteen ninety four. The Air Force investigated, but we never did get no answers. There was lights back then, too.

GIBBS: Lights?

THOMPSON: Lit up the sky last night.

CLAY: Woke me up. It wasn't lightning... there was no thunder. Like I told you, I didn't hear anything. Just... I tried to put it out of my mind... until I discovered this.

GIBBS: We may have more questions for you, Mister Clay.

CLAY: I ain't going nowhere.

THOMPSON: Well, I guess I should ask around and see if anybody else seen something.

GIBBS: How long you been sheriff?

THOMPSON: Couple years now.

GIBBS: Your full time job?

THOMPSON: I also run the grain and feed store.

CUT TO:

INT. LAB - DAY

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Whoa, McGee. You are turning me on! It's very Glastonbury, circa nineteen eighties. I mean, not quite as large or elaborate, but it's a fascinating pictogram.(BEGIN TELEPHONE INTERCUTS)

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) I'm not familiar with Glastonbury.

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Southern England.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Where most of the crop circles were found.

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) Abby they're hoaxes.

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Yeah, but...

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) They are interesting.

MCGEE: (V.O./FILTERED) Yeah, actually I put them right up there with Tarot cards and telephone psychics.

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) I thought two farmers admitted to creating them.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Well, yeah, but there's been over ten thousand reported all over the world. There's no way those two did them all.

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) Abby, nothing paranormal happened here.

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Yeah, there was no damage...

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) ... to the helicopter, yet the entire crew vanished.

MCGEE: (V.O./FILTERED) You can't....

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) ....Take crop circles seriously. You're a scientist. There's a logical explanation.

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Listen to me, McGee.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) I need pictures, and lots of them. And specimens of st*lks down to the roots. (V.O./FILTERED) And a core sample of soil at least twelve inches. (INTO PHONE) And make sure you get a control sample from outside the circle.

MCGEE: (V.O./FILTERED) Abby...

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) We're looking for two missing Marines.

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Come on, McGee!

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: (INTO PHONE) Do it for me, please. I'll show you my new tat.

(END TELEPHONE INTERCUTS)

CUT TO:

EXT. CORNFIELD - DAY

(SFX: HELICOPTER ROTORS B.G.)

TEAGUE: The replacement crew's ready to fly the Cobra back to New River.

GIBBS: Go ahead. We've got everything we need.

TEAGUE: You're clear to go.

TONY: Do we really need all this stuff?

MCGEE: I'm only following instructions. Ask Abby.

GIBBS: All right. McGee and I will take the truck back. You two check out the pilots' apartment.

TONY: Right. I'll try not to be too familiar, Ms. Todd.

GIBBS: Hey, get the scent articles for the search dogs.

TONY: Okay.

MCGEE: What is it, Boss?

GIBBS: I was worried about keeping a lid on this thing... where are the gawkers? Do you see any locals other than the farmer who owns this field and the sheriff?

TEAGUE: Special Agent Gibbs? The Huey spotted a burnt-out area just north of here. You might want to come with us.

(SFX: HELICOPTER TAKES OFF)

CUT TO:

EXT. b*rned OUT FIELD - DAY

TEAGUE: Do you think this has something to do with my crew?

GIBBS: I don't know, but we're going to find out. We've got another scene to process.

CUT TO:

INT. NEWELL APARTMENT - NIGHT

(SFX: DOOR CREAKS OPEN)

(SFX: LIGHT CLICKS ON)

TONY: So we're looking for anything that suggests they didn't just leave on a routine flight.

(DOOR CLOSES)

KATE: Thanks for explaining, Special Agent DiNozzo.

TONY: Oh, my god! I don't believe it! Do you know what this is? This is a classic. December ninety two. Pamela's debut. I lost my copy.

KATE: Lost it... or wore it out? We need to get scent articles for the dogs.

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/KATE MOVES SLOWLY TO THE BEDROOM)

(BARNETT GRABS KATE BY THE NECK)

(DOOR CREAKS OPEN)

BARNETT: What the hell are you doing in my apartment?

TONY: NCIS! Let her go!

(CUT TO BLACK)

FADE IN:

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM - DAY

(DOOR OPENS/ CLOSES)

GIBBS: (FILTERED) I understand you're not cooperating, Captain Barnett.

BARNETT: (FILTERED) I don't know anything. It's Saturday night. I was at my girlfriend's. Got home, just getting out of the shower...

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

BARNETT: ... And I heard someone in my apartment.

GIBBS: Where is Captain Newell?

BARNETT: I don't know.

GIBBS: You were scheduled for a proficiency flight at twenty three hundred last night. Did you take it?

BARNETT: What's the flight schedule say, Sir?

GIBBS: Well, it says right here Newell and you took off from New River.

BARNETT: Then we did.

GIBBS: Here's how it works, ace. I ask the questions, you give direct answers. (LOUDLY) Did you take the flight?

CUT TO:

INT. OBSERVATION ROOM - NIGHT

TONY: I think Gibbs enjoys this more than sex.

KATE: That would explain the three wives.

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM - DAY

GIBBS: Your Cobra was found abandoned a hundred and fifty miles from where it was supposed to be and Newell is missing.

(SFX: GIBBS WHISPERS TO BARNETT)

CUT TO:

INT. OUTER ROOM - DAY

KATE: What is Gibbs doing?

TONY: T-B-I.

KATE: Excuse me?

TONY: Truth by intimidation. In five, four, three, two, one.

BARNETT: (FILTERED) We were leaving for the base when Todd got a call on his cell.

CUT TO:

INT. INTERROGATION ROOM

BARNETT: He took it into the bedroom. When he came out he was messed up. He said he wasn't feeling well and wanted to call the Squadron Duty Officer in Ops to cancel the hop.

GIBBS: Who made the call?

BARNETT: I don't know.

GIBBS: I don't believe you, Barnett. You live together, you fly together, you fight together. You share everything.

BARNETT: I thought we did. Look, I rode his ass to figure out what was going on, but Todd - he got really pissed. He told me to lay low for the rest of the night. He didn't want me getting in trouble.

GIBBS: And you let it go at that?

BARNETT: Todd said he'd explain when he got back.

CUT TO:

KATE: I believe him. What did Gibbs whisper in his ear?(DOOR OPENS)

TONY: If I knew I'd be Gibbs. I'm going to go pull Captain Newell's cell records.

CUT TO:

INT. NCIS LAB - DAY

ABBY: Did you feel any energy when you were inside the circle, McGee? Did you get a tingling sensation or start to vibrate?

MCGEE: You're going to start to vibrate if you don't do what Gibbs wants.

ABBY: I'm running tests on the molecular structure of plants from within and outside the circle.

MCGEE: Okay Abby, Gibbs made it clear... the priority is the cabin fire.

ABBY: You know, people try to imitate the real thing, but the notion that all recorded formations were man-made with simple flattening tools does not explain the well-documented plant alterations by electromagnetic effects.

MCGEE: I warned you...

CUT TO:

INT. NCIS SQUAD ROOM - DAY

KATE: Operation Duty Officer at New River said that Captain Newell signed the log. When I pressed, he admitted that he never really saw Captain Barnett. He just assumed that he was on the flight line, pre-flighting.

GIBBS: So Newell took off alone?

TONY: Can you fly a Cobra by yourself?

GIBBS: Oh, yes.

TONY: (INTO PHONE) Yeah, I'm still here.

GIBBS: Anything unusual in Newell's O-Q-R or his NATOPS jacket?

KATE: He's an only child. Grew up in Florida, just outside Orlando.

GIBBS: Any connection to West Virginia?

KATE: No. His parents d*ed in an auto accident two years ago. His father sold insurance, and mother was an accountant at Disney World.

(SFX: PHONE RINGS B.G.)

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) Yeah, Gibbs. Well, you can see Barnett anytime you'd like, Colonel.

TONY: Teague?

GIBBS: Good C.O.

KATE: Newell went through NCROTC at the University of Florida before flight school. His impulsiveness has gotten him in some trouble. A fight cost him a non-punitive letter of caution.

TONY: (INTO PHONE) That's great. (TO GIBBS) Last call Captain Newell got on his cell was at twenty one thirty last night. He hasn't made or received a call since. His phone is currently off.

GIBBS: Where was the call from?

TONY: A pay phone in Smoky Corners, West Virginia.

CUT TO:

EXT. STREET - DAY

(SFX: CAR BRAKES TO A STOP)

KATE: According to the phone company, this thing hardly ever gets used.

GIBBS: Well, I guess even people out here have cell phones.

KATE: We're being watched.

GIBBS: Mm-hmm. I see.

CUT TO:

INT. STORE - DAY

(SFX: DIAL TONE)

(GIBBS DIALS THE PHONE)

RITT: (INTO PHONE) Now you better get over here.

CUT TO:

EXT. STORE - DAY

GIBBS: Find anything?

KATE: It's clean. Too clean. Not even a smudge.

GIBBS: Yeah, looks like the only thing out here that has been cleaned recently. Let me have a whack at it.

DAPHNE: What's he doing?

CUT TO:

INT. STORE - DAY

RITT: Shh!

CUT TO:

EXT. STORE - DAY

GIBBS: Kate, get those to Abby for prints.

RITT: What are you doing to the phone?

GIBBS: Special Agent Gibbs. NCIS. Who are you?

RITT: Ritt Everett. This is my store.

GIBBS: See anyone using the phone Tuesday night?

RITT: Well.....nope. Does this have anything to do about that helicopter and the crop circle?

(SFX: DOOR OPENS/ CLOSES)

GIBBS: Hello, Sheriff.

THOMPSON: Special Agent Gibbs. Any luck?

GIBBS: Well, Sir, luck doesn't have that much to do with it.

THOMPSON: I've been asking around. Lot of folks seen them lights and are complainin' their animals are acting out of sorts.

GIBBS: How?

THOMPSON: Chickens stopped laying eggs. The cows ain't producing, and stuff like that.

GIBBS: Did either of you two see him around?

THOMPSON: No.

GIBBS: His name's Newell. Captain Todd Newell.

RITT: No, I'm sorry. Ain't seen him.

THOMPSON: Newell? Ain't nobody by that name in the Corners. I'll keep an eye out for him.

RITT: Was he the one flying that helicopter?

(SFX: PHONE RINGS)

GIBBS: (V.O.) Yeah, Gibbs.(BEGIN TELEPHONE INTERCUTS)

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Gibbs! I am getting stonewalled here.

GIBBS: (V.O./FILTERED) By whom?

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) The Air Force. I requested their file on the nineteen ninety four crop circles in Smoky Corners. You'd thought I asked them...

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) ...For their m*ssile launch codes.

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) Okay, I'll make a call, Ab.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) No, you don't understand. They're not going to tell you anything either. This is like Area Fifty-one. It is conspiracy at the highest level.

(SCENE CUT)

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) Abby, stop yourself. How about the cabin fire?

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Gibbs, this is big.

(SCENE CUT)

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) The fire.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Unfortunately, nothing extra-terrestrial there.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (V.O./FILTERED) Arson. Plain old gasoline was used as an accelerant. I'm still working on the debris.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (INTO PHONE) Science can't be rushed, Gibbs.

(END TELEPHONE INTERCUTS)

(DAPHNE WALKS FROM THE STORE)

KATE: Hi! Are you all right?

DAPHNE: Yeah, I'm fine.

KATE: Ever seen him around here?

CUT TO:

INT. STORE - DAY

THOMPSON: Is your gal gonna be okay?

RITT: Don't you worry about her. As long as both sides stick to the story, we'll get through this.

CUT TO:

EXT. STORE - DAY

DAPHNE: I can't talk right now. But if you come back at noon, my daddy will be at the V-F-W in Potterville.

KATE: Okay.

(DAPHNE WALKS O.S.)

GIBBS: Who's that?

KATE: Station owner's daughter. Daphne. I think she wanted to talk...couldn't. Her father's having lunch with his buddies at the V-F-W in Potterville around noon. She'll be alone.

CUT TO:

EXT. SEARCH COMMAND CENTER - DAY

TEAGUE: The dogs are a no go. The handlers say something screwed up the dogs. Soon as they stepped into the woods, they started acting up.

MCGEE: Do not tell Abby. She's going to make something out of it.

TONY: We should start checking the back of their necks for little red X's.

MCGEE: What are you talking about?

TONY: Invaders From Mars.

MCGEE: Wait, I take it that's a film?

TONY: Original nineteen fifty three version. Not the remake.

MCGEE: Everything's a movie to you, Tony.

TONY: Aliens landed in a field just like this one. They took over the locals' minds, leaving a little red X on the back of their necks.

MCGEE: Sounds lame.

TONY: Oh, no! Scariest movie I ever saw. Especially when this kid tries to tell his mom and dad what's going on. The camera slowly comes around... reveals X's on the back of mom and dad's necks. I was scared of my parents for years after that.

MCGEE: I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

GIBBS: Find anything?

TONY: Uh, yeah. Interviewed a half dozen locals. Nobody saw or heard the helicopter. Everyone has the same story.

MCGEE: B.O.L.'s. Balls of light. According to Abby they are created by manipulating the atomic particles in the atmosphere.

GIBBS: Hmm, and who does the manipulating, McGee?

MCGEE: I really don't know, Sir. I'm just relating what Abby told me.

CUT TO:

INT. NCIS LAB - DAY

(SFX: MUSIC PLAYS B.G.)

DUCKY: I need you to run a tox screen on this tissue sample.

ABBY: Where'd you get it?

DUCKY: A body exhumed from Arlington. Oh, you look overwhelmed.

ABBY: I am. And this just came in from the field. Gibbs wants me to run prints on it ASAP.

DUCKY: It appears to be a dollar sixty-five. Well, this poor soul's been dead for thirty six years, I doubt a few more days will matter.

ABBY: Thank you, Ducky.

DUCKY: Door handle?

ABBY: Yeah. It came from a cabin fire. I found traces of something on it. I can use a second opinion.

DUCKY: Oh, I'm flattered. Mammalian cells. Most likely human flesh.

ABBY: Someone was trapped in that fire.

DUCKY: The missing Marine aviator?

ABBY: I need to call Gibbs. Could be his missing aviator is dead.

DUCKY: If he d*ed, where are his remains?

(CUT TO BLACK)

FADE IN:

EXT. WOODS - DAY

TONY: We know the fire was arson and started around the same time Newell and his helo disappeared. Abby is pretty certain someone was in the cabin.

GIBBS: But we didn't find any remains. Maybe they got out.

TONY: Or someone removed the body.

GIBBS: Well, until we find remains, I'm not going to connect the dots. It's time to get cadaver dogs up here to aid the search.

TONY: Cadaver dogs coming up.

GIBBS: This your cabin, Mister Clay?

CLAY: No. No. My land stops right over there at the tree line there.

GIBBS: Who's it belong to?

CLAY: Well, nobody really. It went to the county after Monroe d*ed.

TONY: Who was Monroe?

CLAY: The farmer from the east side. Tried working this parcel. Didn't have no chance, though. Too hard to clear.

TONY: How did Monroe die?

CLAY: Hunting....accident. Shack's been abandoned ever since. I ain't sorry it b*rned, though. Kids were always using the place... causing trouble. (b*at) Is something wrong? (TO MCGEE) I bet his bark's worse than his bite, huh?

MCGEE: Uh... the bite's actually much worse.

CUT TO:

EXT. GAS STATION STORE - DAY

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/KATE WALKS TO THE STORE)

KATE: Daphne?

CUT TO:

INT. BARN - DAY

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/KATE LOOKS AROUND THE BARN)

(KATE GASPS)

RITT: What you lookin' for?

KATE: I need gas.

RITT: This way, missy.
CUT TO:

EXT. GAS STATION - DAY

RITT: That'll be six dollars. That's ten. That's two. Three. Four dollars. Are you sure that's all you want?

(SFX: CAR ENGINE STARTS)

(KATE DRIVES O.S.)

CUT TO:

INT. CAPTAIN'S OFFICE - DAY

GRANT: So what can State Police do for NCIS?

GIBBS: Well, we're investigating a helicopter incident in Smoky Corners.

GRANT: Yeah, I heard. You want?

GIBBS: Sure.

GRANT: Have a seat.

GIBBS: Met the Sheriff.

GRANT: Old Miller Thompson?

GIBBS: Yeah. Yeah, he wasn't much help.

GRANT: Hell, he doesn't know jack about law enforcement, but he sure loves wearing that uniform.

GIBBS: Do you get to Smoky Corners much?

GRANT: Well, not unless they call... and they don't.

GIBBS: Mm, no crime?

GRANT: Nothing we get involved in. There's a few fights. There's been some kind of feud going on up there. It goes back decades.

GIBBS: Hmm. What, like Hatfields and McCoys?

GRANT: Yeah, something like that. But I honestly don't think anyone remembers how it started. It split the valley down the middle; east versus west. And I was told by my predecessor to stay clear. The truth is, they take care of their own problems.

GIBBS: Have they ever had a m*rder in Smoky Corners?

GRANT: Not that I know of. People just die of natural causes or the occasional farm or hunting accident.

GIBBS: Things may have changed.

CUT TO:

EXT. CORN FIELD - DAY

(SFX: STEADY BEEP TONES B.G.)

KATE: What's McGee doing out there?

TONY: Scanning the field with a magnetometer.

KATE: Let me guess, Abby?

TONY: Her every wish is his command.

KATE: She promised to show him her new tattoo. Wait 'till he finds out it's on her ankle.

TONY: What did "gas station girl" tell you?

KATE: She was a no-show. Mm, it looks like he found something.

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/MCGEE UNCOVERS A MASK)

KATE: You are such a child.

(GIBBS BRAKES TO A STOP)

TONY: Come on. I'm just taking a sip.

KATE: It's yours.

TONY: Hey, boss. Abby needs to talk to you.

GIBBS: Abs, did you get any sleep?

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) I am overworked and not paid enough.

GIBBS: Quit. What do you got?(BEGIN CONVERSATION INTERCUTS)

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: Two partial prints on the coins from the phone booth.

GIBBS: (V.O./FILTERED) Any match?

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) You need to send a thank you to the West Virginia DMV. They got right index prints from two licensed drivers. One was a trucker that delivered gasoline to the station.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: The second was a local. Greg Sikes.

(SCENE CUT)

TONY: Oh, yeah.

GIBBS: Were you able to get any DNA off the doorknob, Abs?

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: Nice work on those prints, Abs.

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) Thank you. I know you haven't had a break in two days. Oh, that's okay. I don't need much sleep. Anything for the team.

GIBBS: I assume you'll let me know if you find something.

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) Don't I always?

GIBBS: Yeah, Abby. You do.

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) Thank you.

(SFX: CAR DOORS CLOSE)

TEAGUE: Agent Gibbs, the cadaver dogs have found something.

CUT TO:

EXT. WOODS - DAY

(SFX: DOG BARKS B.G.)

GIBBS: Get Ducky.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRAILER - DAY

TONY: Smoky Corners Bachelor Quarters. There's something to be said for living in a trailer. Get tired of the view, you just roll it to a new location. Come on, McGee. What, are you never going to talk to me again?

MCGEE: How long am I going to be the butt of your practical jokes, the snide innuendoes and juvenile put-downs?

TONY: I will always outrank you, Probie. Come on.

(KNOCK ON DOOR)

MCGEE: Mister Sikes, NCIS.

(SFX: KNOCK ON DOOR CONTINUES)

(DOOR OPENS)

MCGEE: Oh!

TONY: Come on in.

(DOOR CLOSES)

CUT TO:

INT. TRAILER - DAY

TONY: Someone left in a hurry.

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/TONY AND MCGEE LOOK THROUGH THE TRAILER)

TONY: Huh. No phone. Ah... nice teeth.

CUT TO:

INT. AUTOPSY ROOM - DAY

GIBBS: Duck, what can you tell me?

DUCKY: Not much. Male, roughly six feet. Test cited on femur and clavicle suggests not that old.

GIBBS: Give me a range.

DUCKY: Mid twenties to thirties. Oh, this distinctive fracture on the inferior left scapula is consistent with a b*llet wound.

GIBBS: Cause of death?

DUCKY: Well, maybe. I mean, it could be trauma or asphyxiation. I don't know if I'll ever be certain. There's not much to work with, Jethro.

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) Gibbs!

GIBBS: Yeah?

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) I used non-isotopic chemiluminescent method to compare the charred DNA to Newell's.

GIBBS: Uh-huh. And?

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) And it's not his DNA... but it's damn close.

GIBBS: Come on, Abs. We're not playing horseshoes.(BEGIN CONVERSATION INTERCUTS)

(SCENE CUT)

ABBY: There's a ninety nine percent probability that the fire victim is Newell's male sibling.

(SCENE CUT)

GIBBS: That can't be. Newell's record of emergency data doesn't list a brother.

DUCKY: DNA doesn't lie, Jethro. People do.

ABBY: (ON MONITOR) The crispy critter was Captain Newell's brother.

CUT TO:

INT. SQUAD ROOM - DAY

KATE: His O.Q.R was wrong?

TONY: Recruits lie about things all the time. Especially their age. Why lie about having a brother? Is Abby sure?

GIBBS: Yeah. She double-checked. Obviously you two didn't.

KATE: We just assumed that his family history was right.

GIBBS: NCIS agents don't assume anything, Agent Todd. They check and recheck. Verify everything independently.

TONY: We are on it!

CUT TO:

INT. LAB - DAY

ABBY: There is a definite difference.

MCGEE: I don't see it.

ABBY: Look at the elongated node. It's undamaged. The plants inside the crop circle were changed in a way that is beyond human ability. I'm rerunning an analysis hoping to find anomalous molecular change to the st*lks within the circle. I'm betting they were subjected to very short blasts of high energy heat, possibly microwave generated.

MCGEE: Re-running because you came up empty. Look Abby, you're looking for something that isn't there. You've been here for two days straight. You're tired. You've done everything that Gibbs has asked. So go home, get some sleep.

ABBY: I can't sleep! What are you doing?

MCGEE: You're guilty of confirmation bias. It's not there, Abs. You're ignoring the obvious and you're searching for microscopic proof of something that doesn't exist.

ABBY: Maybe I should join the CIA.

MCGEE: Look at the big picture. The design of the smaller, outer circles was created by bending the corn st*lks down in a clockwise direction. But look under the helicopter. Those plants were forced outward from the center by the downdraft of the blades. The corn was still standing and was forced down by the landing of the Cobra. This crop circle is a hoax, Abby. It's created... it's created around a parked helicopter.

ABBY: Why would anyone do that?

CUT TO:

INT. SQUAD ROOM - DAY

KATE: Orange County clerk faxed us his parents' marriage certificate. Todd Newell was nine years old when his mother remarried. He was legally adopted; that's how he got the Newell name. His mother's maiden name was Stelling, which is common in Smoky Corners.

TONY: Her first husband was a guy named Sikes. They had two boys, Greg and Todd.

GIBBS: Todd Newell was born in Smoky Corners.

KATE: His co-pilot, Captain Barnett, swears that he never mentioned a brother or Smoky Corners. In fact, Barnett couldn't recall Newell ever mentioned anything about his childhood.

GIBBS: We need to find his biological father.

TONY: Can't. He d*ed several years ago... in a hunting accident.

GIBBS: Ah gee, where have I heard that one before?

TONY: So we got a dead civilian in Ducky's cooler. Are we going to turn it over to the local authorities?

GIBBS: Nope. Not yet. I want to know more first.

KATE: Greg Sikes was involved with the girl at the gas station. She was the only one that seemed willing to talk. Maybe I should go back there and try to find her.

GIBBS: Go with her.

MCGEE: All right, so we're on the same page, right?

ABBY: I guess. Let me tell Gibbs.

GIBBS: Tell me what?

ABBY: The crop circle was a hoax created around the helicopter after it landed.

GIBBS: You don't sound convincing, Abs.

ABBY: Yeah, well there's still a lot of stuff that can't be explained.

GIBBS: Mm-hmm. Like what?

ABBY: Balls of light in the sky. The animals acting weird. Like a missing pilot.

GIBBS: Everyone's story is exactly the same. It's too rehearsed. It's what they want us to hear.

MCGEE: Exactly what I told her.

ABBY: What about the search dogs? I heard they were acting all confused and disoriented.

GIBBS: Only the first day. The cadaver dogs had no problem finding the body this morning. I know why we haven't been able to find Captain Newell. Thanks, guys.

KATE: How do you know?

GIBBS: Because I'm a Marine.

CUT TO:

INT. NCIS MTAC ROOM - DAY

TEAGUE: (ON MONITOR) Newell is alive?

GIBBS: Yeah.

TEAGUE: (ON MONITOR) Well, whose body did we find?

GIBBS: His brother. Captain Newell is still out there.

TEAGUE: (ON MONITOR) How do you know that?

GIBBS: He received SERE training, Colonel. He's evading us. As part of his training, he was taught a technique to negate enemy dogs.

TEAGUE: (ON MONITOR) Yeah, G.S. powder... irritant used in gas mask simulations. I keep a couple of capsules in my survival vest. Dogs get a whiff of that, they're useless for days.

GIBBS: He used it on the search dogs. Now he also has pilot's night vision goggles and a survival radio to monitor our search frequencies. Colonel, he's using his Marine Corps training to evade us.

(MUSIC OUT)

MUSIC IN:

INT. CAR - MOVING

KATE: Will you stop that? You're driving me crazy!

TONY: Sorry. Do I detect a little P-M-S? I didn't think that was 'til next week. Hey, it's a high stress job. You carry a g*n. I need to know when you're not at your best. Sikes' trailer is coming up. Daphne wasn't at the gas station. If she's not there, I don't know where else to look.

CUT TO:

INT. CAR NEAR TRAILER - DAY

KATE: That's Daphne's truck.

TONY: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/CAR ACCELERATES TO DAPHNE'S TRUCK)

TONY: Hey! Hey, hey, hey! Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!

(DAPHNE STRUGGLES B.G.)

KATE: Daphne, why are you running?! I thought you wanted to talk to us! Daphne! Daphne, talk to us! What happened?! What happened!? Are you looking for Greg?

TONY: We know he's your boyfriend. That's why we're here looking for you, okay?

DAPHNE: Where is he?

KATE: Daphne, are you pregnant?

DAPHNE: Five months. Greg's hiding from my daddy. Do you know where he is? (b*at) Greg's dead, isn't he?

CUT TO:

INT. CAR - NIGHT

(SFX: SEMI TRUCK HONKS B.G.)

GIBBS: Whatever Newell's brother said to him on the phone got him upset enough to risk his entire career with an unauthorized flight in the Cobra.

MCGEE: Boss, are you sure you don't want me to drive for a while?

GIBBS: But why land in the farmer's field?

MCGEE: Uh... well...

(SFX: CAR HONKS B.G.)

GIBBS: My guess, McGee, it was the closest clearing to the cabin where his brother was hiding. Only Newell was too late.

(SFX: CARS HONK B.G.)

MCGEE: What?

GIBBS: Focus on the case, McGee.

MCGEE: Sorry, uh... yes, Sir.

GIBBS: Why the crop circle?

MCGEE: Well, I have a theory on that.

(SFX: CARS HONK B.G.)

GIBBS: You care to share?

MCGEE: Yeah, uh... okay.

GIBBS: Spit it out, McGee.

MCGEE: Okay, uh... whoever k*lled Greg Sikes thought that they could cover it up as another farm or hunting accident. But they couldn't cover up an att*ck helicopter abandoned in a corn field.

GIBBS: Conspiracy. Makes sense. It would take a lot of people to form that pattern in a few hours.

MCGEE: They knew that there would be an outside investigation, so they created the circle hoping that we'd do exactly what the Air Force did ten years ago....back off and cover up what couldn't be explained.

(SFX: TIRES SCREECH/CAR HORNS HONK)

GIBBS: Not bad, McGee. Not bad.

CUT TO:

EXT. SIKES TRAILER - NIGHT

GIBBS: Where is she?

TONY: Inside. She seemed to relate better to Kate.(DOOR OPENS)

(MCGEE GASPS B.G.)

TONY: Enjoy the ride, McGee?

CUT TO:

INT. TRAILER - NIGHT

KATE: Daphne's father threatened to k*ll Greg because she's pregnant....

GIBBS: (OVERLAP) Pregnant.

DAPHNE: Greg and me are from different corners in the valley. God, I hate this rotten place. This stupid feud...

GIBBS: When was the last time you saw him?

DAPHNE: At the gas station... using the pay phone to call his brother for help.

GIBBS: Was Greg close to his brother?

DAPHNE: He ain't seen him since they was kids. About a year ago he got a call telling him their mother d*ed. It reunited them. They're the only family either of them had left.

KATE: Daphne's afraid Captain Newell's been drawn back into the feud.

DAPHNE: He's gonna k*ll my daddy to get revenge.

CUT TO:

EXT. TRAILER - NIGHT

(DOOR OPENS)

GIBBS: Kate, you and McGee get Daphne out of here.

TONY: What's up, Boss?(TELEPHONE BEEP TONES)

(BEGIN TELEPHONE INTERCUTS)

(SCENE CUT)

TEAGUE: (INTO PHONE) Colonel Teague.

(SCENE CUT)

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) Call off the search. Pull your men out.

TEAGUE: (V.O./FILTERED) Why?

(SCENE CUT)

TEAGUE: (INTO PHONE) You said Newell was still out there.

(SCENE CUT)

GIBBS: (INTO PHONE) He is. He wants revenge... but he's not going to make his move until he thinks we're gone.

(SFX: TELEPHONE BEEP TONE)

(END PHONE INTERCUTS)

CUT TO:

EXT. GAS STATION - DAY

THOMPSON: They're leaving.

CUT TO:

INT. GAS STATION STORE - DAY

(DOOR OPENS)

THOMPSON: Ritt, we pulled it off. The Marines have backed off. This thing's going away. Nobody's told outsiders nothing.

RITT: My problem is Greg Sikes' brother. I gotta get him before he gets me.

CUT TO:

EXT. WOODS - DAY

PILOT: (V.O.) This is White Hawk Three Four terminating search, returning to base.

BASE: (V.O.) Three Four out.

CUT TO:

INT. GAS STATION STORE - DAY

THOMPSON: Ritt, think twice about what you're fixing to do.

THOMPSON: They ain't got nothing, Ritt. Just stick to the story.

(DOOR OPENS)

RITT: What's going on? Looks like you're all pulling out.

GIBBS: The Marines are, we aren't. Do you get a kick out of smacking your daughter around?

RITT: Why don't you just get out of here.

GIBBS: DiNozzo, read him his rights.

RITT: What are you talking about?

GIBBS: The m*rder of Greg Sikes.

RITT: Greg Sikes is dead? I thought he went hunting.

GIBBS: We found his remains.

TONY: You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.

RITT: Aren't you out of your jurisdiction? You're the law here, Miller.

THOMPSON: Yeah, I am.

GIBBS: Ah, don't get excited, Sheriff. The West Virginia State Police are on their way, but I do have the authority to detain both of you until they arrive.

CUT TO:

EXT. GAS STATION - NIGHT

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/NEWELL MOVES QUICKLY THROUGH THE NIGHT)

CUT TO:

INT. BARN - NIGHT

TONY: (WHISPERS) Gibbs, I have a bogey. (V.O.) In the trees.

(SCENE CUT)

TONY: (V.O.) Closing in from the northwest.

GIBBS: Everybody copy?

(SCENE CUT)

MCGEE: Yeah, boss.

(SCENE CUT)

KATE: Got it.

CUT TO:

INT. BARN - NIGHT

TONY: (WHISPERS) He slipped behind the old cars.

CUT TO:

EXT. GAS STATION - NIGHT

GIBBS: (WHISPERS) Let him get closer.

TONY: (V.O.) Roger that.

CUT TO:

EXT. BARN - NIGHT

(MUSIC OVER ACTION/NEWELL CONTINUES MOVING)

TONY: Oh, man. (INTO PHONE) He made me.

GIBBS: (SHOUTS) Hit the lights!

(SFX: NEWELL GASPS IN PAIN)

GIBBS: (SHOUTS) NCIS! Lower your w*apon, Captain Newell! It's over.

NEWELL: It's not over until Ritt Everett's dead.

GIBBS: He's in the custody of the State Police.

NEWELL: That's not going to change anything. It's an eye for an eye here. Always has been.

GIBBS: Is that why your mother took you away? Put down your w*apon.

NEWELL: Why? I'm never going to fly again.

GIBBS: Well, your career is probably over, but you haven't hurt anybody yet. Keep it that way and I'll do everything I can to help you. There is a young girl carrying your brother's baby. And they could sure use your help.

CUT TO:

NEWELL: Once we left, it was like Smoky Corners never existed. My mother erased it from our lives. I always felt guilty she had to leave Greg behind, but my father wouldn't let her have both of us.

GIBBS: Why did you take the Cobra?

CUT TO:

NEWELL: It's fierce. Intimidating.

CUT TO:

NEWELL: I hoped it would scare the crap out of those hicks and save Greg's life. But I was too late. The cabin was in flames. Greg trapped inside. Everett and the others started sh**ting at me and I got hit. They had hunting r*fles. All I had was my p*stol. I was cut off from the helo and couldn't get back to the base. I knew my Marine Corps career was over. All that was left for me was revenge.

CUT TO:

INT. SQUAD ROOM - DAY

MCGEE: Wow, those are really pretty, Kate. Who are they from?

KATE: Tony.

TONY: We had a tough couple of days. Kate pointed out that I'd taken one too many liberties. The flowers are a mea culpa.

KATE: Tony, I'm blown away. They're gorgeous... and they're from Martha's Garden, my favorite florist! How did you know?

TONY: Lucky guess.

GIBBS: He went through your purse and got the phone number off your PDA.

(MUSIC UP OVER ENDING CREDITS AND OUT)

(ENDING CREDITS CONTINUE AND OUT)