01x12 - Breaking Away

Episode transcripts for the TV show, "Dawson's Creek". Aired: January 1998 to May 2003.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Four friends in a small coastal town help each other cope with adolescence.

01x12 - Breaking Away

Post by destinyros2005 »

Episode 112
Season 1 Finale: "Breaking Away"

Cast
Dawson: James Van Der Beek
Mitch: John Wesely Shipp
Joey: Kaite Holmes
Gail: Mary-Margaret Humes
Pacey: Joshua Jackson
Doug: Dylan Neal
Jen: Michelle Williams

Original Air Date: May 19, 1998

(Dawson is in his room. He picks up a green insect that is at the head of his bed. He turns around to see Joey climbing through his window.)

Dawson: Hey!

Joey: Hey.

Dawson: You're here!

Joey: Yeah. I thought we were watching movies, Dawson.

Dawson: Yeah. I'm glad you're here. I just. I didn't think. I didn't even get any movies from the store.

Joey: (disappointed) Well, actually, I came by to tell you that I couldn't make it. So.

Dawson: You dropped by to tell me you couldn't drop by?

Joey: Yeah. See you, Dawson.

(Joey begins to walk towards the window.)

Dawson: Joey, stay. We can watch bad reruns and throw sarcastic remarks at the television.

Joey: (walking towards Dawson's bed) Well, for the record, I'm getting pretty tired of television. I mean, the metaphor alone is making me nauseous.

Dawson: What are you talking about?

Joey: I mean, every night, it's the same. We hang out in your Speilbergized bedroom and watch obscure movies and TV reruns, It's so predictable.

(Dawson turns on his TV and starts watching.)

Dawson: This is a great show.

(Dawson sits down on his bed and Joey puts one knee on the bed.)

Dawson: It's a huge two-parter with a big cliffhanger.

Joey: Cliffhanger? Come on, Dawson, you of all people should know that a cliffhanger is merely a manipulative TV standard designed to improve ratings.

Dawson: No, a cliffhanger's purpose is to keep people interested and keep them guessing what's going to happen in future episodes.

(Joey sits on the bed and takes the remote control from Dawson.)

Joey: Yeah but just like in our own lives, they are so predictable.

(Joey turns the television off and turns to Dawson.)

Joey: I mean the producers put the characters in some contrived situation hoping that the audience will think something is going to change. But you know what? It neverdoes. It's back to the same way it was before your so-called cliffhanger. It's boring, Dawson.

Dawson: Well, what if this time it was different? What if this time in the cliffhanger, something changes? You wouldn't want to miss that, would you?

(Dawson takes the remote control back and turns the TV back on.)

Joey: It still sounds like one big tease to me, Dawson.

Dawson's Creek theme song and credits.

(Grams is holding Jen's grandfather's hand and talking to him at his bedside.)

Grams: What else? Arthur Elders missed the meeting for the third week in a row. He said his staff meeting ran late but Marisa Parker saw him leave the Happy Hour at the Roman Fryer, which doesn't surprise me one bit. And in addition, your granddaughter and I seem to be co-existing lately.

(Jen appears at the door and listens.)

Grams: She broke it off with Dawson Leery though. Heaven help her, just between you and me, I think she's starting to miss him.

(Grams touches his face as Jen goes into the room.)

Jen: How's he doing this morning?

Grams: Peaceful. No real change. Same sleep he's been in for the past three months.

(Jen goes over to her Gramps and touches his hand)

Jen: Well, I'll see you after school.

Grams: Okay. Oh, don't forget your sweater. It's going to turn cool this afternoon.

Jen: I know. Bye, Gramps.

(Jen touches his hand once more before leaving.)

Gramps: (slowly) Good-bye Jen.

(Grams rushes to the door.)

Grams: Jennifer! Jennifer! He's awake.

(Jen runs back to the room in amazement.)

(Jen and Dawson are at Capeside high walking down the halls.)

Jen: I just feel like this giant cloud has been lifted off my shoulders, you know?

(Dawson laughs.)

Jen: I mean, they had to take him to the hospital to run some more tests so I can't see him until tomorrow. I don't know. For the first time in a long time, I feel like letting loose and having some fun. I mean, I know it's a school night and everything.

(Dawson turns his locker combination.)

Jen: But what do you say? You and me?

Dawson: Umm. Tonight, actually I have plans with Joey. I guess I could ask her if we could bag.

(Dawson opens his locker to put his books away.)

Jen: No, no, whatever.

(Jen sees Joey walking down the hall.)

Jen: Speak of the devil.

(Dawson closes his locker and turns around to see Joey.)

Dawson: Joey!

(Joey stops and turns to see Dawson and Jen.)

Joey: Oh, Hey guys.

Dawson: Is everything okay?

Joey: Yeah. I think so. How do you go about getting a passport?

Dawson: Why? Where are you going?

Joey: Mrs. Tringle just informed me that Grace Elkins turned down a scholarship to spend next semester in France because she doesn't want to leave her boyfriend so the faculty had to pick a replacement and...

(Jen and Joey are thrilled at the announcement, but Dawson is somewhat disappointed.)

Jen: And they picked you?

Joey: Yeah.

Jen: Dawson, isn't that amazing?

(Dawson takes a step foward towards Joey.)

Dawson: Wai..Wait a minute, slow down. You're going to France?

Joey: shrugs her shoulders I don't know yet. I mean, I have two days to decide.

Dawson: If you did go, when would you leave?

Joey: Two weeks.

(Joey glances over at Jen.)

Joey: Umm, See you guys later.

(Joey leaves the two with Dawson still in a state of shock.)

Jen: I definitely think she should go, don't you?

Dawson: Umm, why not?

(Dawson walks back to his locker, slightly dazed.)

(At the S.S. Icehouse, Bessie is cleaning up one of the tables as Joey is telling her about France.)

Joey: I mean,France is so far away.I won't know anybody, I don't speak the language, plus I don't know if I could spend a year in any country that worships Mickey Roark.

Bessie: Well, whatever you decide to do, I think it's an honor just to be asked. Really, kid, I'm proud of you. Dad will be too when you tell him all about it.

(Bessie piles up a bunch of dirty dishes and starts walking to another table. Joey follows Bessie.)

Joey: Uh, question. Why would I tell Dad?

Bessie: Don't tell me you've forgotten what tomorrow is.

Joey: Apparently, I have.

Bessie: It's his birthday, Joey.

Joey: Well, you're on your own Bessie. Enjoy yourself.

Bessie: I'm not going Joey. You are.

(Bessie walks away from the table and Joey continues to follow her.)

Joey: Wake up, Bessie. I am not going anywhere.

Bessie: Joey, we made a deal. I know you remember alternating birthday visits as long as he's in there. Now, I went last year, so according to my calculations, it's your turn.

Joey: Forget it.

Bessie: You're not getting out of this one. If you don't go, I swear to God, I'll make you regret it.

(Bessie puts the tray of dirty dishes down and turns to face Joey.)

Bessie: Look, I know you're still angry at him for what he did to Mom and to us, I am too. But you know what, Joey? He's still our father.

Joey: Yeah, our father who art in prison.

(Joey walks away.)

(Cut to Pacey who is riding his bike down the street. We hear a police siren as Doug pulls up next to Pacey. Pacey gets off his bike, drops it, and walks over to the driver's side of the car.)

Pacey: What do you want, man? I have to go to work.

Doug: Dad's looking for you. He's pissed.

Pacey: Gee, I wonder what it is I did this time?

Doug: Well, I'd say it's more like what you didn't do, like pass any of your mid-terms this semester. Principal Igar called to issue the official failure watch and frankly, Dad's a little worried.

Pacey: Well, you tell him that the concern is appreciated but he should save it for the closet case with the g*n.

(As Pacey walks back to his bike, Doug gets out of his car.)

Doug: Tell me something, Pacey. Does being the leading contender for the title of the official joke of Capeside bother you even a little bit? 'Cause I must say it's a distinction the rest of the Witter family would rather live without.

Pacey: Why don't you just run along and go grab a cat out of a tree or something and tell Dad that if he wants to talk to me he should do it himself.

Doug: You know one day, Pacey, you're going to be tired of being a joke and it's going to be too late. You're going to wake up and realize you're just a bad punchline nobody's laughing at. You have a good day now, little brother.

(Doug goes back to his police car and drives off as Pacey takes off on his bike.)

(Cut to Dawson and Joey are purchasing tickets at the Piedmont Coach Lines ticket office. Afterwards, they head towards the railing that looks out to the creek.)

Joey: You know, thanks a lot for coming with me, Dawson. I could k*ll Bessie for making me do this.

Dawson: Not a problem. When was the last time you saw your dad anyway?

Joey: Two years ago.

(Joey leans against the railing and turns to face Dawson)

Joey: About the same time I discovered he was trafficking marijuana while cheating on my dying mother with a bleached blonde cocktail waitress.

Dawson: Well, it's only for today.

(Dawson puts his hand on Joey's shoulder)

Dawson: You'll get through it, I promise.

Joey: Thanks.

Dawson: By the way, any decision on the European thing?

Joey: Still waiting out for the fantasy elements.

Dawson: It's an incredible opportunity.

Joey: And what would you do if I left?

Dawson: Umm.

(Dawson also leans back against the railing and looks at her as he smiles.)

Dawson: su1c1de. Something painless, you know, pills, car fumes maybe.

Joey: No, really Dawson. What would you do?

Dawson: If Paris made you happy, (pause) then I'd be happy for you.

(A bus pulls up to the prison gate. Dawson gets off with Joey behind him. They walk around to the other side of the bus and stop for awhile.)

Dawson: So, Are you ready?

Joey: No.

Dawson: Hang tough.

Dawson goes to grab her hand but she tries to pulls away. They walk up to a prison information booth to see the time. 5:05pm.)

Joey: You're kidding me. We missed visiting hours?

Prison Guard: I'm sorry these are the rules. Family visitation ends promptly at 5 o' clock.

Joey: Yeah, but we just spend 4 hours on a bus. I mean, what are we supposed to do now?

Prison Guard: Look, Miss. I know you think your problem is very important and I'm sure to you, it is, but here at a prison housing over 800 felons it's not even a blimp on the radar. Now can I ask you are we done here yet?

(Joey and Dawson walk away and stop by a fence.)

Joey: This is becoming a far bigger nightmare than I ever anticipated.

Dawson: Look, Joe. I'm sorry, I know you wanted to get this over with. If you ask me really nicely, I'll come back with you tomorrow.

Joey: Thanks for the offer Dawson, but there's got to be a better solution then spending another day on the bus.

Dawson: Maybe there is.

(Joey and Dawson founr the Liveless Motel and spend their night there. Dawson is watching TV when Joey comes out of the bathroom. She switches the bathroom light off and walks over to the bed.)

Dawson: I just got off the phone with my mom and she said she'd tell Bessie we had to stay overnight. Feel like watching some TV?

Joey: No thanks, I'm pretty tired. I think I'm just going to hit the sack.

(Dawson gets up from the bed and turns the TV off. They walk to the sides of the bed.)

Dawson: Okay. So umm are we sleeping left to right?

(Joey takes her jacket off.)

Joey: Yeah, as usual is fine with me.

(Dawson begins to unbutton his shirt)

Dawson: Okay. It's just the first time we've ever slept together in a foreign bed.

Joey: Is that a problem, Dawson?

Dawson and Joey both take their shoes off and Joey turns the light off.

Dawson: No, it's just different, you know? A little weird.

(Dawson and Joey both get into the bed and try to get into a comfortable position.)

Joey: And lumpy.

(Joey and Dawson are laying on the backs. Dawson glances at Joey and then sits up.)

Dawson: You know maybe I should just sleep on the floor.

Joey: (sitting up) You can't sleep on the floor. It's freezing. Besides, what's the big deal Dawson? I mean, we've mean sleeping in the same bed for years.

Dawson: (laughs nervously) Never mind. Yeah.

Dawson and Joey both lay back down. Joey rolls over on her side with her back facing Dawson. Dawson looks over at her and movevs himself closer to her on his side. He puts his head on his hand and watches her.

Dawson: Jo?

Joey: Yeah?

Dawson: I don't want this to affect your decision about France but I would really miss you if you left.

Joey: Well, I'd miss you too Dawson.

Dawson: I've been thinking about us a lot lately.

Joey: (smiling) You have?

Dawson: Yeah, I have.

Joey: And?

Dawson: And I have to figure out where we are.nWhat's going on between us.

(Joey rolls over to face him.)

Joey: And how do we do that Dawson?

(Dawson looks at her.)

Dawson: God. I'm sorry Jo I'm not...I'm just not nall there. I mean, I can analyze somebody else until the cows wander home but as soon as I turn all that adult perception on myself, it's like, I completely lose connection between my heart, and my head. It's like the two are incompatible and I can't get it together. And I wish I could because I'm so scared of what may happen if I don't. Does this make any sense to you at all?

Joey: What are you so scared of Dawson?

(Joey rolls back over.)

Dawson: I don't know....I don't know.

(Cut to Jen in the hospital waiting room. Grams enters and Jen gets up from her chair.)

Jen: How is he?

Grams: Tests seem to be going well. They tell me it was because he was lucky, but I know luck has nothing to do with it. I know it's because of our daily prayer and our faith in the Lord. That's what got him through it.

Jen: You know, no one's happier about his recovery than me but I very much doubt prayer had a whole lot to do with it.

Grams: Jennifer. God has a hand in all good things.

(Grams walks behind Jen and sits down.)

Jen: Oh but he had nothing to do with w*r, famine, AIDS, huh?

Grams: It isn't always up to us to understand the Lord's ways.

Jen: You know, don't go back to business as usual. Gramps is better. That's all that matters. I guess we'll just enjoy it in our own ways.

(Joey is leaning against one of the prison tables talking to Dawson and waiting for her dad.)

Dawson: I should probably go now. I'll be right outside.

Joey: No, Dawson. You're not going anywhere.

Dawson: Joey you haven't seen him in forever. Don't you want to spend some time alone with him?

Joey: Yeah right. Like I want to spend time alone with the man who's responsible for the destruction of my family.

(Joey's father comes in and takes the seat across from Joey.)

Mr. Potter: If I knew you were coming I would have sent for cigars and champagne. A couple of donuts anyway. Joey, you're beautiful.

Joey: (clenching her teeth) No, I'm not.

Mr. Potter: Hello, Dawson.

Dawson: Hello, Mr. Potter.

Mr. Potter: I thought the other night you might come, but I thought I better not get my hopes up. Birthdays in prison are depressing enough.

Joey: Well, I'm here, aren't I?

Mr. Potter: I'm so glad. You have no idea. You're all grown up. It's amazing.

Joey: Well, that's what people do. They grow up.

(Dawson looks down.)

Mr. Potter: How's...uh...school?

Joey: That's what you wanna talk about?

Mr. Potter: What do you want to talk about?

Joey: Nothing.

Mr. Potter: It gets so lonely here, Joey. I miss you. And your sister. I miss my family.

Joey: Your family? Tell me this, do you miss Mom?

Mr. Potter: Yes, very much. Joey, talk to me. Tell me what you're thinking.

Joey: You don't want to know what I'm thinking. Believe me. You know this was a mistake. And I guess I should tell you that I'm probably going to be leaving in a few weeks, I'm going to France.

(Dawson is surprised at her sudden decision.)

Joey: So I won't be around anymore. And that family that you miss - doesn't exist anymore. It's over.

(Joey gets up and begins to walk away.)

Mr.Potter: It's not over Joey. It's still a family.

Joey: Well, it's over for me. Happy Birthday, Dad.

(Koey leaves and Dawson gets up, not sure what to do.)

Dawson: Joey! (he turns back to Mr. Potter) I should go with her. Umm, I'm sorry

Mr. Potter: Dawson wait please. Tell me about her. Tell me about my daughter.

Dawson: What do you want to know?

Mr.Potter: Anything, everything.

Dawson: She's great.

(Dawson sits back down where Joey was sitting and becomes involved in his own world.)

Dawson: I mean, she's smart, she's beautiful, she's funny, she's a big ol' scaredy cat. If you creep up from behind her she'll jump out of her skin. It's pretty amusing. She's honest. She always calls them just like she sees them. You can always count on getting the truth from Joey even if the truth hurts. She's stubborn. We fight a lot. She can be so frustrating sometimes. But she's a really, really, good friend. I know her to a fault. She believes in me. And I'm a dreamer so it's so good to have somebody like that in my life. If she goes away, I don't know what I'm going to do. I mean, she's my best friend, you know? She's more than that. She's everything.

(Cut to Dawson and Joey walking down to the end of the pier. Dawson is walking in front of Joey.)

Joey: Okay, whats your deal?

Dawson: What do you mean?

Joey: You haven't said one word the entire bus ride home. I mean, if anyone should be brooding it's me. Talk to me Dawson. What did he say?

(Joey grabs Dawson's arm and turns him around.)

Dawson: He asked a lot of questions about you. He misses you. He loves you. You shouldn't have left.

Joey: Don't lecture me.

(Joey walks in front of Dawson and he follows her.)

Dawson: I'm not, but...

Joey: But what?

Dawson: You've got to deal with him sometime.

Joey: I deal with him everyday of my life, okay Dawson? Every single second I am dealing with the legacy he left me. He doesn't want me to deal with him. He wants me to make him feel better. He wants me to say, 'I forgive you, Dad,' but I can't. I don't forgive him for anything. I'm sorry, but I can't.

Dawson: Then tell him that.

Joey: What's the point?

Dawson: The point is he's your father. He's your only father.

Joey: I hate him, Dawson.

Dawson: Joey, sooner or later you're going to have to deal with these feelings of anger and resentment you've got towards him. Otherwise you're just going to handcuff yourself to him for the rest of your life and it's going to cause you nothing but pain.

Joey: Even in Paris?

Dawson: You decided to go?

Joey: Yes, Dawson. I think a geographic change is exactly what I need. It'll give me time to think, you know, start over, clear my head.

Dawson: Running away is not the answer, Joey.

Joey: What is the answer Dawson? Why don't you give me one good reason why I should stay? Give me one non-analytical off-the-top-of-your-head reason why I should stay.

(Dawson just stares at Joey, speechless.)

Joey: I thought so.

(A sad Joey gets into her rowboat and paddles away.)

(Cut to the hospital. Grams is sitting woth a blank expression.)

Jen: Grams? What's wrong?

Grams: It's your grandfather.

(Grams gets up.)

Grams: He's had another stroke.

Jen: What? How is he?

Grams: He's in intensive care.

Jen: But I thought that...I don't understand.

Grams: It was unexpected. His heart isn't strong enough to keep him awake.

Jen: No, no everything was just turning around. It doesn't make sense.

Grams: God has a plan for everything. For your grandfather, for me, for you.

(Jen and Grams sit down.)

Grams: Now sometimes we can't understand it, wemcan't see it, but this is when prayer is most important.

(Grams starts to pray.)

Jen: How can you have so much faith in prayer? Just because you pray doesn't mean it can change God.

Grams: Oh child, you've got it backwards. Prayer doesn't change God. Prayer changes me.

(Joey is preparing for the S.S Icehouse to close when Pacey walks in.)

Joey: Sorry Pacey. Kitchen's closed.

(Joey picks her tray up and walks to the counter.)

Pacey: Please don't make me eat dinner with the Stepford family.

(Joey sets her tray down on the counter and starts to walk to somewhere else.)

Joey: Uh oh, trouble in paradise? Maybe I could scrape something up. I think I saw some rat droppings behind the oven.

Pacey: Great I'll take them. Just pop them in the microwave. Warm them up for me.

Joey: That was weird. For a second there I was overcome with this wave of sympathy for you. It'll pass.

Pacey: Tell me something, Jo. You have a habit of being annoyingly honest with me. When was it that I got designated a town loser? I mean, I know I've done some stupid things in my life but what was it exactly pushed me over the edge to being a walking, talking embarrassment to my perfect family?

Joey: You're not an embarrassment to your family, Pacey.

Pacey: According to Deputy Doug, I am.

Joey: Well, at least your whole family isn't an embarrassment. I just got back from visiting my dad.

Pacey: How'd it go? Fathers are weird creatures, you know that? When I was 8 years old, I used to play Pee Wee baseball. We had this huge game at the end of the season. It was 2 outs, bottom of the ninth, and I was up to bat. I struck out. Anyway, we get home and my dad just proceeds to ream me. Tell me what a loser I am and what a disgrace I am to the whole family and town for losing the game. Next morning I go down to breakfast, and I overhear my dad relaying the events of the game to my brother. I heard him say to him, 'At least I have you.' I never told anybody this but I wish I'd never heard him say that.

Joey: Well, maybe you should have a talk with your father. You know, tell him that he hurt you.

Pacey: Is that what you did?

Joey: No,

(Joey gets up and grabs her jacket.)

Joey: But I'm going to.

Pacey: Yeah?

Joey: No, I mean tonight. I'm going to go back there tonight. I have to go back and see him.

Pacey: Sorry Jo, but the buses don't run this late.

Joey: Well, can you help me? I mean, when have I ever asked you for a favor? I mean, can't you steal your dad's car or something?

Pacey: I prefer to call it borrowing, but sure.

Joey: Thank you.

(Joey and Pacey leave the Icehouse.)
(Gramps is laying in a hospital bed with Jen at his bedside.)

Jen: I missed you. Just when I thought I was going to get you back, you go away from me again. What am I supposed to do? What can I do to get you out of this bed and back into my life? I feel so helpless sitting here right now because I want to help you so badly and I can't because I want you to help me. I want you to smile at me and I want you to listen to me and I want you to magically uncomplicate my life the way you used to.

(Pacey and joey are trying to convince the Prison Guard to let her see her father for a few minutes.)

Prison Guard: Like I told the lady before, visiting hours are over at 5.

Pacey: You think maybe I could talk to you over here for a second?

(Pacey pulls the Guard aside while Joey is left standing by herself. The Guard approaches to Joey.)

Prison Guard: Okay, Miss. Follow me.

Joey: What did you say to him?

Pacey: Just reasoned with the man.

Joey: How much did you give him?

Pacey: Twenty bucks.

Joey: Thanks.

(Joey taps Pacey on the arm making him smile. Then she follows the Prison Guard.)

(Cut to Dawson who is in his room putting away some of his CD's. Jen comes in through the window as Dawson turns around.)

Dawson: (surprised) Jen.

Jen: Hi, um, I know I usually use the door but, umm, can I come in?

Dawson: Yeah, of course.

(Jen climbd into his room and stands by the window.)

Dawson: How's your grandfather?

Jen: It doesn't really look too good. I think I'm losing him. I feel like I'm losing everybody.

Dawson: God, I'm really sorry Jen.

Jen: I miss you Dawson. I really do miss you.

(Jen sits down on the bed and Dawson sits next to her.)

Dawson: I'm here Jen.

Jen: No you're not. You're half here and part of that's my fault, Dawson. I blew it, you know? But I'm going to stop blowing it.

Dawson: Jen, What are you talking about?

Jen: Can I sleep here tonight? Dawson, with you the way Joey does? As friends, can I just lie here with you tonight?

Dawson: (hesitantly) Yeah sure.

Dawson and Jen get up and walk to the head of the bed. Dawson lays down on the bed and Jen lays down on his chest as she starts to cry. "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan plays in the background.

Dawson: It'll be okay Jen. It'll be okay.

(Cut to Joey at the prison. She is standing by the chained link fence waiting for her father to come outside. Sarah McLachlan's Angel continues to play in the background. Joey's father walks over to the fence that separates them.)

Joey: Hi. I hardly know what I'm doing here. That's not true umm. Look, I came here tonight because I wanted to tell you that you messed up. You really messed up. And not because you broke the law or you got caught or that you left me without a father. You messed up because you don't know me. I'm your daughter and you don't know me at all. So I guess I just came to say that I'm alright. I turned out pretty good. And I'm going to be okay, no help from you. And uh, I just have one question. (she pauses) Do you love me? (start crying here)

Mr. Potter: More than you'd ever know. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

Joey: Do you think about me?

Mr. Potter: Sweetheart, all day long, everyday, every hour, every minute.

Joey: Do you really love me though? Because I'm 15 years old and I go through everyday of my life thinking nobody loves me.

Mr. Potter: Well nothing could be further from the truth.

(Mr. Potter looks at Joey.)

Mr. Potter: I'm not the only one. Dawson Leery. He loves you Joey.

(Joey looks down.)

Mr. Potter: He's never told you?

(Joey shakes her head.)

Joey: Ever.

Mr. Potter: Well, he does. I know it.

Joey: How?

Mr. Potter: Because he looks at you the same way your mother used to look at me.
(he pauses) And you love him.

(Joey nods her head.)

Mr. Potter: Have you told him?

(Joey shakes her head.)

Mr. Potter: You have to tell him Joey. Don't make my mistake. Don't wait til someone you love is eaten with cancer and wasting away while you hold back the one thing they're waiting to hear.

(Joey goes up closer to the fence and takes her dad's hand.)

Joey: I love you Dad.

Mr. Potter: I love you.

Joey: I gotta go.

(Joey hesitantly pulls her hand away and leaves.)

"I'll Be" by Edwin McCain begins playing as Joey rows towards Dawson's. Dawson and Jen are laying in his bed. Jen is awake and caressing his face as he sleeps.

Jen: Good morning.

Dawson wakes up and puts his hand over his face

Dawson: Good morning.

Jen: Thanks for letting me crash at your place.

Dawson: No problem.

(At the same time Jen leans over to kiss Dawson, Joey sticks her head through the window. She quickly climbs down and runs away from Dawson's house.)

Dawson: Joey! Joey, wait!

Jen: Dawson, she'll be okay.

Dawson: (calling out his window) JOEY!!! Oh God! I don't believe this.

(Dawson walks over to his chair and puts his shoes on.)

Jen: Where are you going?

Dawson: I got to stop her. She's got the wrong idea about us.

Jen: Does she?

Dawson: Yeah.

Jen: Are you in love with her Dawson?

Dawson: I don't know what I am. I just know I've got to talk to her I've got to go.

(Dawson climbs out of his room and heads toward the pier and leaves Jen in his room.)

Jen: Good-bye Dawson.

Dawson: (at the pier) JOEY!! JOEY!!

(Cut to Grams sitting in the chair on the porch with tears streaming down her face.)

Jen: How is he? Any change?

Grams: I was at the hospital last night. No change. I'm going to church later if you want to join me. What's the matter Jen? Is something wrong?

(Gram gets up.)

Jen: No, I'm fine.

Grams: Do you want to talk about it?

Jen: No. Not right now. But thanks.

Grams: Come to church with me Jen. Put aside your stubborn beliefs just once and open yourself up to something new. Something that could provide you with an enormous amount of comfort.

Jen: Grams.

Grams: You know you don't have to be in God's house for him to hear you.

(Jen goes inside. She goes to her Gramps' bedroom and looks at a weeding photo of her grandparents. SHe lays down on his bed and holds the picture in her arms as "Broken Roads" by Melodie Crittenden starts to play.)

"I set out on a narrow way."

(Joey is rowing across the creek.)

Dawson: (at Joey's house) Joey?

"Many years ago, hoping I could find true love."

Dawson is knocking on Joey's door and looking inside the house.)

"But I got lost a time or two."

(Joey walks down the pier.)

"Wipe my brow, kept pushing through."

(Joey sits down at the pier.)

"I couldn't see how everything pointed straight to you."

(Dawson enters the Icehouse and approaches Bessie.)

Dawson: Is Joey here?

Bessie: No, I haven't seen her.

(Dawsonleaves and continues his search.)

"Every long lost dream led me to where you are."

Joey is sitting at a park bench.)

"Others who have broke my heart."

Dawson is at the pier where Joey was already.

"Were just Northern Stars."

(The phone at Jen's house rings. She gets up to answer it.)

Jen: Hello...No this is her granddaughter.

(Gram's is standing by the door., watching Jen.)

Jen: He's gone.

"That's led me straight to you. I think about the years."

(Dawson is walking down some streets.)

"The years I've spent just passing through. I'd like to take the time."

(Joey is also walking down the street looking very sad.)

"I'd like to take the time I've lost and give it back to you."

(Dawson is running down the street.)

"You just smile and take my hand, you've been there,
you understand, it's all part of a grander plan that is coming true.
Every long lost dream, led me to where you are."

(Jen enters the church and goes to sit next to her Grams.)

Grams: He's in the Lord's hands now. Oh please, Lord take onto him my dearest Love. Keep him safe for me.

Jen: And me too.

(Grams starts crying.)

Grams: Dear God, I miss him so much.

(Jen is crying too as she hugs Grams.)

"Yes, God bless the broken roads that's led me straight"

(Dawson enters his room, throws his jacket on his bed and walks toward his closet)

"Straight to you"
(Dawson opens his closet and finds Joey sitting on the floor.)

Dawson: Joey! God! I've been looking all over for you!

(Joey climbs out of the closet and Dawson puts his hand on her shoulder.)

Dawson: Look, there's nothing going on between Jen and me. What you saw today was completely innocent.

Joey: Look, you don't have to explain to me Dawson.

Dawson: Yes I do.

Joey: Why? Why do you feel the need to explain? We're just friends. That's all.

Dawson: Joey, c'mon you know that's not true.

(Joey throws her hands up in the air in frustration.)

Joey: So what are we Dawson?

(Joey walks to the center of the room.)

Joey:You know, I am so tired of the way we relate to one another. We spend all of our time analyzing our sad little adolescent lives.

Dawson: I know we know too many big words. But it's a good thing to analyze.

Joey: But it doesn't get us anywhere. It doesn't move us forward. We're in the same place we were tehre months ago. It's time to grow up Dawson.

(Dawson walks up to Joey.)

Dawson: I know, Joey. We can. We are growing up.

Joey: No we're not. Everyday is the same. We watch a movie, preferably a Speilberg film, find the appropriate life correlation and then we pat ourselves on the back for being so clever. You know, as much as our perception is right on,
our honesty is severely lacking Dawson.

Dawson: There is something lacking.

Joey: And the reason I came here tonight is because....we need to move on. Look, we're not kids anymore. And I'm not going to do this anymore and I thought you should know. So..

(Joey starts to walk towards the window.)

Dawson: So are you going to France?

(joey turns around.)

Joey: Ah, the inevitable cliffhanger. Am I going to France?

Dawson: Are you?

(Dawson walks over to Joey.)

Joey: Look, I am tired of all the drama in my life right now Dawson. And leaving town just makes the most sense to me so...

Dawson: No, it doesn't.

Joey: Why should I stay? Is there some new release at the video store I don't know about? It's time to grow up Dawson.

Dawson: Well then we'll do it together. Joey, I could grow up give me a chance. Even Speilberg outgrew his Peter Pan syndrome.

Joey: I could have told you that months ago, Dawson.

(Joey turns to walk away.)

Dawson: You did.

(Joey turns back towards him and looks down.)

Joey: (softly) Yeah.

(The whole time, Dawson is smiling.)

Joey: Dawson, I'm so tired of dancing around these big words. I just want to be honest with you.

Dawson: Me too. Joe, more than anything, I just want to be honest.

Joey: Do you think we're ready for that honesty?

Dawson: Yeah I do.

Joey: Are you sure? Because honesty is a big word and it changes things and it complicates things. Are you sure you're ready for all the things that comes along with telling the truth?

Joey looks at Dawson and she becomes hurt. Dawson realizes what he's done.)

Joey: I'll see ya Dawson.

Dawson: Joey! Joey!

(Dawson runs after Joey and grabs her arm to turn her around. He leans in to kiss her. They look at each other and kiss again. She wraps her arms around his neck and he wraps his arms around her waist. We see the camera focusing on Dawson's room, where there is a shadow of Dawson and Joey, kissing passionately.