01x03 - Wind Sprints

Complete collection of episode scripts from season 1-5. Aired October 2006 - February 2011.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

The trials and tribulations of small town Texas football players, their friends, family, and coaching staff.

01x03 - Wind Sprints

Post by bunniefuu »

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Speaker: We are live from Panther Stadium, in Dillon, Texas. And we are ready to play football. It was just a week ago this town was rocked by the tragic injury to our quarterback, Jason Street, a young man who embodied the hopes and dreams

DILLON HOSPITAL - Jason's room

Jason's mom: Jason, are you sure you want to watch the game? I can just...

Jason: Leave it, please.

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Speaker: Now, the question is, will Coach Taylor be able to survive without his star quarterback? And can young Matt Saracen step up to lead this team? Saracen's only taken about three snaps his entire career..

Matt: We're going with I right, power. 44 tomahawk, on one. Ready, break.

Speaker: Tonight, it's all about the ground game. Coach Taylor's, gonna have to hope Saracen can get the ball into the hands of their outstanding running back Smash Williams, if the Panthers are gonna have a sh*t.

Jason: Come on, Matt.

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Speaker:Saracen's into the count. Defense pushing in. They're expecting run. He opens to the left, hand off to Williams. Wait, Saracen keeps on a bootleg. Oh, and he gets drilled as he lets that ball go. He's got Dolia at the 45. He makes the catch. To the 40. What an inspired call by Coach Taylor. He could go all the way!

Jason: Go.

FOOTBAL GAME - Field

Speaker: He's to the 20, to the 15. I don't think they're gonna catch him. Oh, Dolia gets stripped at the 10-yard line. And the Rattlers come up with the ball. What a gutsy call by Coach Taylor, but, man, did that just blow up in his face.

FOOTBALL GAME - Cloakrooms

Eric: Execution! Where the hell's the execution out there?! Huh?! My God, we oughta be b*ating these bums by 40 points! Riggins, you're supposed to be one of the toughest guys in the district! They are handing your ass to you, son! You better get your head in the game.

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Matt: Hut, hut!

Eric: Smash...north, south. North, south. If you want to dance with these boys out there, you invite them to the prom!

Smash: They spottin' me every...

Eric: What?! You got something to say to me?!

Smash: Call some play-action to open me up, Coach. They see me coming.

Eric: What?! I can't hear you. What?!

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Speaker: Our Dillon Panthers are runnin' out of time. Deep into the fourth quarter. Come on, coach! Run the football now! There're only 15 seconds left in this contest, folks. And it is third and goal from the 9. The Panthers down by six points. And they have all but self-destructed here tonight. Although you've got to admire the courage of young Matt Saracen. This quarterback has really played hard, with a lot of heart.

Jason: Read your defenses. Come on, Saracen.

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Matt: Hut!

Speaker: Saracen on the fake. He drops back. He's in trouble. He beats 'em out around the right side. Oh, he's got legs on him. The 15, the 10. The 5. He's gonna score. He's down to the 3. Bringing it hard to the goal line. And dropped right at the goal line. The Panthers are saying touchdown, but we are gonna wait to see what the referee's call is. No touchdown.

Jason: Damn it. They had it. They had 'em b*at.

FOOTBALL GAME - Field

Speaker: That is it for our Dillon Panthers. They have lost a heartbreaker here, in a game that they should have easily dominated tonight. And I'll tell you, Coach Taylor is off to a disastrous start this season, folks.

Eric: Saracen! That was a good game. But not good enough. Not nearly good enough!

[ Credits ]

RIGGINS'HOUSE - Living room

Billy: It ain't hard, Tim. Hell, it's not rocket science. You b*at the living dog snot out of those guys. You win the game, then you go out and you get yourself a little piece of tail. What part of that equation don't you understand? You guys just bent over and grabbed your ankles. You shamed your good name.

Tim: Yeah, I feel really awful about that.

Billy: Speaking of pieces of tail, Lyla Garrity. You're not... What? I can't understand you when you're not moving your mouth, Tim... you're not speaking.

Lyla: Hi, is Tim here?

Billy: Uh, no. Not at the moment.

Lyla: Well, can you please tell him that Lyla Garrity stopped by and I will be in the hospital with his best friend Jason Street! Today and tomorrow, and the next day, and so on. So whenever he wants to visit is fine. But Jason is asking for him, so sooner is better. Could you please tell him that when you see him?

Billy: I'll give him the message, sweetie.

Lyla: Thanks.

EXT. SARACEN'S HOUSE

Landry: Matt, I've been working on this theory.

Matt: You know what? Can you just help me out? I really don't want my grandmother to see this.

Landry: Funny you should mention that, because she's at the core of my theory. Tell me this. Dillon hasn't lost to South Milbank in what, like, 20 years?

Matt: 17.

Landry: 17, right. So why do they lose now? No, I know what you're thinking, and that's not it. 'Cause you know you played a good game last night. I mean, that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is the supernatural.

Matt: You're Ret*rded.

Landry: In a lot of cultures, they believe older women to be very powerful witches.

Matt: Oh, you think my grandma is a witch. Look, my grandmother can barely remember how to work the phone half the time. How's she gonna put a spell on the Dillon Panthers? Plus, why would she put a spell...

Grad ma: Matt? Matt? What are y'all doin' out here?

Matt: I'm just cleaning up a little bit, Grandma.

Grand ma: Oh, well, when you get done, I want you to go out back and water the children.

Matt: Y-You mean the flowers, Grandma? Is that what you mean?

Grand ma: Yeah. Just what I said, wasn't it?

People: Hey, losers!

Nurse: Come on, you got it. Lift it up. There you go, give it a sh*t. Lift it up. Lift, lift, lift, lift, lift. Unh! All right. All right. Relax.

Jason: I want to do this again. I can do it again.

Nurse: You don't have to do it.

Jason: I can do it.

Nurse: Not today. Not today. Let's wait for tomorrow. All right? Down you go. It's all right. Okay?

Jason: Thank you.

Nurse: There you go. All right, you good?

Jason: Yes.

Lyla: Hey, baby. Hey, Danielle.

Nurse: Hey, Lyla, how you doing?

Lyla: Good. How are you?

Nurse: All right, Jason, same time tomorrow?

Jason: Yes, ma'am. I'll be here.

Nurse: All right.

Lyla: Hi. Boy, were you missed last night. We got spanked. It's like no one knew what to do without you. I'll tell you what, I would not wanna be Coach Taylor right now, that is for sure.

Jason: Just give him some time, all right? He'll be fine.

Lyla: So, we're expecting a huge turnout for the pancake supper tomorrow.

Jason: The what?

Lyla: The pancake supper. The benefit.

Jason: Oh, yeah. Sorry.

Lyla: To help with the cost of the rehab facility.

Jason: Yeah.

Lyla: It's exciting going to that rehab place. You know why?

Jason: Why is that?

Lyla: Because that's where you're gonna get your legs back.

Jason: Lyla...

Lyla: You and me, we can get through anything.

Jason: What's up?

Lyla: Oh...

Jason: What?

Lyla: Um, excuse me. Nurse?

Jason: Lyla.

Lyla: Something's wet down there.

Jason: Dolores, what's going on?

Nurse: Excuse me. Jason, it's your catheter.

Jason: Oh, God.

Nurse: We're gonna take care of you. Can you give us a minute? Can you give us a minute?

Lyla: Um, I...

Nurse: Just a minute. Go ahead. You're going to be fine, Jason.

EXT. DILLON - Shop

Jason's mom: Hey. Tim.

Tim: Hey.

Jason's mom: How you doing, honey?

Tim: Hi. I'm okay. How are... How are you and Mr. Street doing?

Jason's mom: We're, uh... We're holding out. Jason's been asking about you.

Tim: Yeah. I've been meaning to go to see Jay, and...

Jason's mom: I know, you're busy with football and all. Tim, just 'cause Jason's in the hospital doesn't mean you can't come over for Tuesday night dinner.

Tim: Thank you ma'am. I'll, uh... I'll call you.

Jason's mom: Get some rest, okay? Take care of yourself.

Tim: Yes, ma'am.

Jason's mom: Am I gonna see you tonight at the pancake supper?

Tim: Yes, ma'am.

Jason's mom: Good. Bye-bye, honey.

DILLON RESTAURANT

Eric: I'll tell you what, if she did let us get a dog, the kind of dog we're gonna get is a brown Labrador. And if it's not a brown Labrador, we're not getting a dog.

Julie: Then we can name it, like, Fluffy, or Spike.

Eric: Hey, Jill. Two burgers, with bacon.

Julie: Onion rings, Diet Coke. Extra cheese. Spicy chicken sandwich for mom. Get Mom's... And Dad's.

Eric: Don't do it with he three hamburgers. Go sit down. Too much dead cow. She wants onion rings, diet cola. Um, we need two burgers. I need a spicy chicken to go. And I'll have the biggest French fries you have.

Man: You're Eric Taylor's girl, right?

Julie: Uh, yeah.

Man: I was just wondering if y'all had started packing yet.

Julie: Uh...

Man: Things can get real unpleasant around here when you lose.

Eric: Can I help you?

Man: I was just telling her how it works around here when you lose football games.

Eric: If you got a problem, you can talk to me. You don't have to talk to my daughter about it.

Man: I do have a problem. I have a problem with you pissing our season away calling them dumb-ass plays.

Eric: I'm here with my 15-year-old daughter. You know? So I'm just gonna walk away right now. That's really great of you, though. I sure appreciate that. Come on, let's go.

Man: You got no guts. See, that's why you ain't gonna never have one of these.

Eric: All right. Don't listen to him. Don't listen to that.

Man: You won't even finish out the year here, Taylor. You will not last one year.

PRACTISE

Eric: These are some big horses we're running up against. Their offensive line averages 290 across the board. Matt, how big's our biggest guy?

McGill: Oh, Pudnick goes about 265.

Eric: When you run up against the biggest boy on the block, you gotta be faster. Velocity kills, gentlemen. We need to be faster. We will outlast them. We will go above and beyond. Smash, what the hell you doin', son?

Smash: Hey, Coach, look, listen. Me and the guys have been talking. Look, we got a tough game coming up. Shouldn't we work on some hand-offs? Give our QB some practice? I mean, seriously, we gotta get that boy up to speed.

Player: Maybe we should get him a tutor.

Smash: We all know what the problem is. Look, the guy's a weak link.

Eric: I'll tell you what. Everybody listen up! I was gonna let everyone get out of here early this morning. But since you're in such good shape. What do you say we run five more?

Smash: Coach, are you...

Eric: How 'bout ten extra ones?

Smash: I don't see how this...

Eric: 15 more! I can count real high, Smash. How high do you think I can count? You want to test me?! Let's go! Let's go! Pick it up!

Buddy: There he is. There he is.

Mr Deitz: You wanted to talk to me, Mr. Garrity?

Buddy: Hello, Mr. Deitz, how you doing? Well, so there's this stud quarterback out of Louisiana. He's displaced. Katrina victim. And he's over here now. Name's Ray Tatom.

Mr Deitz: Voodoo Tatom?

Buddy: You know him?

Mr Deitz: I know of him.

Buddy: He's gonna be over in Marlsboro Thursday afternoon. At that old lot over there, about 2:00. What I thought was maybe you and I could just kind of ease over there. You know, drive over there and check him out. See if he lives up to the hype.

Eric: Let's go, Smash! Get on there! Pick it up!

Mr Deitz: Yes, sir.

GARRITY'S HOUSE - Lyla's room

Lyla: Hey, you get the napkins and stuff?

Pam: Yep, we're all set.

Lyla: Good. We better hurry. All the girls are gonna be there soon. If no one's there to tell 'em what to do, they'll just fool around.

Pam: Slow down. There's time. So, your birthday's tomorrow. What do you want to do?

Lyla: I'm having dinner with Jason in the hospital.

Pam: Oh, honey...

Lyla: What?

Pam: You've been spending so much time there lately. I thought we could go out.

Lyla: No, Mom, it's already all planned. Sorry.

Pam: Lyla, are you sure this isn't all just too much? I mean, you're at the hospital every day.

Lyla: You'd do it for Dad, wouldn't you?

Pam: Well, yeah, but he's my husband.

Lyla: Well, I'm marrying Jason someday.

Pam: Honey, you need to accept the reality of the situation. I mean, this is a terrible thing that has happened. And maybe you should talk to someone.

Lyla: He's coming back from this, okay? He just is. That's all there is to it. He needs me right now.

PANCAKE SUPPER

Landry: Yep, Matt, the river of Rally Girls has pretty much run dry.

Matt: Will you shut up?

Lois: Look at him go at it.

Julie: Ew, gross. All right, wanna go get a turkey burger?

Matt: Hey, Julie, I got you some soy sausage.

Julie: Hey, Matt. Thank you, but I'm actually on my way out. So you can have my pancakes. All right, I'll see you later.

Matt: All right.

Julie: Bye.

Matt: Damn.

Mayor Rodell: I heard about your new job. Mm-hmm. Congratulations.

Tami: Thank you.

Buddy: Jason Street is probably never gonna play football again. You know about as well as I do. And Matt Saracen is not gonna take us to State.

Mayor Rodell: The last school counselor k*lled herself. That's right.

Tami: I'm sorry?

Mayor Rodell: Yeah, she k*lled herself with pills, I think.

Buddy: I was just thinking it was about time for us to move on the Katrina kid.

Eric: Let me just say one thing about that. I hope this is on the up and up, because I really got enough headaches going on right now as it is.

Buddy: Just let me handle it.. I just need you to look at the tapes for me, if you will. Will you just look at the tape, Coach? Just look at it for me.

Eric: All right. All right.

Buddy: Good.

Smash: Look who it is. My little ray of sunshine.

Tyra: Not now, Smash. Have you seen Tim? He said he was gonna be here.

Smash: No, I haven't seen Rig. He probably passed out cold somewhere. Let's talk about us.

Tyra: I don't think so.

EXT. DILLON

Tyra: Hey, dumb-ass. Just gonna ignore me? Think I'll go away?

Tim: That's what I keep hoping, but you don't seem to want to get the message.

Tyra: You know, you're such a big tough guy. You can't even go see Jason in the hospital. I mean, damn, it, Tim, grow a set, why don't you! 'Cause we both know that's what this is all about.

Tim: Hey, Tyra. How's Smash? Was he good? Did you have a nice time?

Tyra: Nothing happened. Not really. Besides, don't pretend like you haven't slept with half the Rally Girls.

Tim: We sure do have something special here, Tyra.

Tyra: You know, maybe you're right. Maybe I am wasting my time. 'Cause you are just another mediocre football player, who's gonna grow up to drink himself to death. Maybe we should just end this right now.

Tim: I'll see you around then.

Tyra: I am serious, Tim. Are you listening to me? If I get in that car right now, I'm never coming back. Do you understand?

Tim: I get it.

Tyra: That's it? Breaking up for real, and that's all you have to say. That was great

ERIC'S OFFICE - Meeting coach

Eric: All right, Tatom can throw the ball. Can he scramble under pressure?

McGill: Keep watching. Kid's team went to the state championship last year. Broke three tackles on a 40-yard touchdown.

Eric: You've seen this tape already?

McGill: Yeah, I was over at Buddy's last weekend. Barbecue.

Eric: I didn't know y'all were such good friends.

DILLON HIGH - Hallway

Rally girl: Hey, Tim. Here's that paper on East of Eden. I misspelled a bunch of the words so this time, it'll look like yours. And your biology homework is on the bottom.

Tim: Thanks.

Rally girl: So I heard that you and Tyra broke up. Is it true?

Tim: I suppose it is. Yeah.

Lyla: Hey, Tim.

Girl: Bye, Lyla.

Lyla: Tim? Hey. We're having a prayer meeting for Jason this afternoon. You wanna come?

Tim: What are we praying for, Lyla? A new spine for Jay?

Lyla: Tim. I know you never do anything you don't want to do, and I guess that's fine. But don't insult me.
TAMI'S OFFICE

Matt: Excuse me, Mrs. Taylor?

Tami: Hey, Matt.

Matt: Hey...oh.

Tami: Come on in. We'll do... We'll do the rest later?

Man: Yes, thank you.

Tami: Hey, Matt, how are you? How's it going?

Matt: I need to drop pre-calculus, so that I can go to morning practices.

Tami: Oh, okay. When are you gonna take pre-calculus?

Matt: Uh, next semester, I guess, when football is done.

Tami: All right, as long as you take it.

Matt: Yeah, I'm gonna take it.

Tami: You sure?

Matt: Yeah.

Tami: Okay. I know I saw drop cards somewhere. How have you been doing? How are you holding up through all this? It's been kind of a crazy time, has... Drop card! Here you go. You can fill that out. I'll sign it.

Matt: Yeah, we're gonna do a lot better against Arnett Mead, so, you know, don't worry about that.

Tami: No, but what I mean is how are you doing? I mean, you know. I know your dad's in Iraq, and that you're living with your grandma, right?

Matt: Yeah, uh, I'm fine. I mean, Grandma's going through one of her good spells right now. So that's... that's good.

Tami: There are bad spells sometimes?

Matt: I mean, nothing, really. Just, like, she gets a little loopy sometimes. I mean, she'll put the ice cream in the cupboard. Or forget to take her medication, that kind of stuff. It's really not...It's not a big deal.

Tami: Is it your responsibility to make sure she takes her medication?

Matt: Well, there's really no one else around, so...

Tami: Boy, you got a lot on your plate. I mean, I think just football itself is more than a full-time job.

Matt: Yeah, well, I mean, I really love playing football. So I just hope I get to keep playing.

Tami: Well, that shouldn't be a problem. You're doing a great job.

Matt: Yeah, but I keep hearing that, like, they're trying to bring in this Katrina refugee, or something. This quarterback from New Orleans.

Tami: I never heard anything about that.

PRACTISE

Eric: Keep your head up. Keep your head up. Come on, Riggins, let's go. Hold on to that ball. Come on, keep digging your legs. Come on, son. What's your problem? You do it again. Keep your legs moving. Keep your head up. Keep digging. Come on, son, let's go. Let's go! Keep your head up. Keep digging your legs. Keep your head up. Keep digging. Get over here. Come here. I don't see you preparing for this game, son. You go hard or you go home. Come on, now, you're out here, you give 110%, like everybody else. You give 110% all the time. Not just when you feel like it. Now, come on, son, do it again. Let's do it again. Don't do it, son. Don't do that. Don't do what I think you're about to do. Don't do that. You don't want to do that. Son, don't...

McGill: Let him go, Coach. Listen, he's been watching the game film from when Street got hurt. I have a feeling he thinks it's all his fault.

Eric: What the hell would he think it's his fault for?

McGill: I don't know, maybe he thought he might have made the tackle, or something.

Eric: The kid was 30 yards away.

McGill: Hey, hey, Coach, listen. You can blame yourself for just about anything, if you think about it long enough.

Buddy: Hey, Coach. Coach. What was that? Did I just see Tim Riggins just walk off practice? You know, that is one thing that never, ever would have happened in the old days. Ever, you think? No. No way. But you know, times have changed, I guess, huh?

Eric: What can I do for you, Buddy?

Buddy: Well, I just wanted to see if you want to go with us over to, you know, talk to that kid. That Ray Tatom kid.

Eric: Matt Saracen may be a wild card. You know one thing I like about Matt Saracen?

Buddy: What's that?

Eric: I don't have to be worried about recruiting violations.

Buddy: Who said anything about recruiting? I didn't say anything about recruiting. This is about that kid whose whole family has lost everything... devastated by Katrina. It'll help us out, And we can help him out. That's all. That's all there is to it. I mean, it's a win-win situation. Right, Mac?

DILLON MOTEL

Buddy: Whoa! Hey, Coach.

Man: Buddy. Coach.

Buddy: What'd I tell you? I told you he'd be there. Here it is. We're here, Vic.

Man: You and everybody else. Come on in.

Buddy: Good to see you. Hey, Voodoo.

Man: Coach. Good to see you.

Buddy: How are you, son?

Man: Look here. This boy and his family have been through a terrible time. They lost everything in Katrina. And they've been bouncing around from place to place ever since.

Buddy: The people of Dillon, Texas, are here to open their hearts. We might be able to provide housing. Very fine, very comfortable housing.

Man: They need a fresh start.

Buddy: We might be able to get Mr. Tatom over there a nice new job. We could arrange that. We might also even be able to arrange a little fund. You know, from some of the local businesses. Might be able to help a family get back up on its feet. We could set you up. The town of Dillon is a generous town. It's a fine town. It's a good place to call home.

Man: He gets a guarantee to start?

Buddy: Oh, yeah. That's right. Right, Coach?

Eric: You know what, Buddy? Actually, I got a problem with that. I got a problem with that.

Buddy: Well, now, you know, the coach and I can work on the details later.

Eric: The point is, you want to go all the way, son?

Voodoo: I am going all the way.

Eric: You want to play college ball, go to the pros?

Voodoo: That's the idea.

Eric: Then you want to be with the number one team in Texas. Your representation can squeeze all it can out of this. But it's not about new cars and start-up money. This is about your future. And starting positions aren't handed out in motel rooms. They're earned on the field. You want to play with Arnett Mead, fine. They're gonna have a short season. It's your choice. Ma'am. It was nice to meet you. I wish all the luck to your family.

GARRITY'S HOUSE - Kitchen

Pam: I am telling you I need some help here.

Buddy: Yeah, well, what do you want me to do?

Pam: I want you to talk to her. You know, I love how you can find time to take an 80-mile road trip if the Dillon Panthers need something. But if your own daughter...

Buddy: Hey, hey, she is gonna be fine. She's a smart girl. She's got a good head on her shoulders.

Pam: How is she fine? She's living in a fantasy land... She's not thinking about college. She's not thinking about her own future. I mean, what's she gonna do? She's put all her eggs in one basket, and I'm sorry to tell you this, but you and I let her.

Buddy: Just give it some time. 'Cause she'll get bored, and she'll move on. Mm-hmm. She will.

Pam: Mm-hmm.

TAYLOR'S HOUSE - Living room

Tami: Hey.

Eric: Hey, kids.

Julie: Hi, Daddy.

Tami: Did you eat any dinner?

Eric: Uh, no, I didn't. But I think I can find something here.

Tami: There's chicken in there. Hey, you didn't tell me that y'all are getting a new quarterback from New Orleans.

Eric: Where did you hear that?

Tami: Well, Matt Saracen came in today. He's feeling real stressed out about it.

Eric: Really? Matt Saracen's under a lot of pressure, huh?

Tami: Yeah.

Eric: Maybe I should go over to Matt Saracen's house and make him some Omaltine, read him a bedtime story.

Tami: I think you might want to just try a little compassion with him.

Julie: Bye, Daddy.

Eric: Hey, kiddo.

Tami: You don't need to be sarcastic.

Eric: You know what I think? I think everybody in this town is telling me how to do my job. And the one thing I think those kids don't need is that they don't need compassion. That's what I think. You want to know what else I think? What they do need to do is they need to win. And something else. You and I, we need to win, Tami. We need to win.

Tami: Honey, there's Smash.

TV is on...

“Channel 13 Sports here at Hermann Field, where the Panthers had a great season last year. Hopefully they'll repeat that success this year.”

Journalist: Been a lot of talk around Dillon that Taylor's not the right guy for the job.

Smash: Oh, see, look, man, I can't even mess with you. You're already trying to get me in trouble.

Journalist: Oh, no. I just want to know where you stand. Come on, you must have an opinion.

Smash: Oh, yeah, I got an opinion.

Journalist: I mean, I would, if I were you. You've got a lot to lose, if the coach mismanages this team.

Smash: Look, off the record, I just think Coach T ought to be winning football games. That's all I'm saying.

Journalist: See, I knew you had an opinion about how things were going.

Tami: Let it go.

Journalist: How do you feel about Friday night?

Tami: He's a stupid kid, honey. Let it go. Eric, what are you doing? Just let it go. Come on.

On Phone...

Eric: Mac, I want... Yes, I did just see it. I want you to get the team together, and I want you to meet me at the field house in a half an hour. Yes, Mac, I know what time it is. Mac, meet me at the field house in half an hour. Thank you.

Tami: Bye.

Eric: You guys have a nice night now.

SARACEN'S HOUSE - Living room

Grand ma: Who's calling so late? Who's calling so late?

Matt: I got... I got it. Hello? Now?

PLAYER'S HOME

Man: Coach is on the phone for you.

RIGGINS' HOUSE

Billy: Hey...you better get dressed.

SMASH'S HOUSE

Smash: Somebody gonna get that? Noannie, get the door!

Eric: Hi, sweetie. You get yourself dressed. We're going on a little field trip. I'll see you in the car in two minutes. You tell your mother I say hello.

ON BUS

Smash: What's goin' on?

Matt: I have no idea.

EXT. DILLON

Eric: Let's go. Everybody off the bus. Let'go, gentlemen. Let's go!

Smash: What's he gonna do, k*ll us all?

Matt: Maybe.

Eric: Move 'em out.

McGill: Line 'em up! Line 'em up!

Eric: Wind sprints, up and down the hill. Let's go. Let's go. Go, move it, come on. If you think you're champions because you wear the Panther uniform, you're wrong! If you think you're champions because they give you a piece of pie at the diner, you're wrong! Let's go, let's go, let's go! Champions don't complain! Champions don't give up! Let's go, Coach. Send 'em now! Champions don't give up! Champions don't complain! Champions give 200%! You're not champions until you've earned it! Turn around. Don't stay in them bushes. Let's go! Let's go! There you go. Let's go.

McGill: Coach, don't you think maybe they've had enough?

Eric: I'll say when they've had enough.

Smash: Clear eyes... full hearts...

Matt: Can't lose!

Smash: Clear eyes... full hearts...

All: Can't lose!

Smash: Clear eyes, ... full hearts...

Smash: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose! Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose! Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!

Smash: Go!

Lyla: Cute movie, right?

Jason: It was a pretty sad birthday, huh?

Lyla: No, it wasn't. This was exactly what I wanted, Jason. Anyway, we'll go to dinner next year. When you're all better.

Jason: When I'm better? Lyla, I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not getting any better. Can't you see that?

Lyla: Come on, Jason, you gotta have faith.

Jason: Lyla, stop.

Lyla: Jason...listen to me. This is just a little hiccup. That's all. It's a year. In one year, you'll be back on track.

Jason: Lyla, stop it.

Lyla: You will go to Notre Dame--

Jason: Stop it! Stop! My legs are never gonna get better. Ever.

Lyla: But there are cases, lots of cases...

Jason: And those cases aren't me. All right? I don't even have full use of my hands. I'll be lucky if I get that back. I can't even put my own shoes on and off. How can you not see that?! What the hell is wrong with you?!

Lyla: I'm just trying to help.

Jason: Yeah, well, you're not helping! You want to help? Then stop pretending that everything's okay!

Lyla: Why are you getting so mad?

Jason: Because every night when I go to sleep, I dream that I can walk again. And every morning, I wake up, and I have to accept it all over again. And then you walk in here, all smiles, and acting like nothing's wrong. And it's k*lling me! So get this through your head. All right? My life as we knew it...over.

Lyla: Don't say that, Jason.

Jason: Football...over. Notre Dame, going pro, all that...gone. You and me? We're not getting married. So I need you to do something for me, all right? Get out. Get out!Don't just look at me, go!

Lyla: I'll be back tomorrow for when they... transfer you to the rehab facility.

EXT. DILLON

Eric: What happened to Jason Street was nobody's fault. This is football. Things happen. It was an accident. You understand me?

Tim: I didn't even try, Coach. I didn't even...

Eric: You were on the other side of the field. It wouldn't have mattered. It was an accident. It was not your fault. Look at me. I want you to let yourself off the hook, son. I want you to let yourself off the hook.

Tim: Yes, sir.

Eric: Be smart.

Eric: Now, you ever walk out of one of my practices again, and I will kick your ass off the team. That's a promise. Understood?

Eric: You owe me a practice. You walk home. We'll call it even.

Tim: Coach.

ON ROAD

Lyla: What are you doing here? Do you want a ride?

Tim: Isn't it past your bedtime, Lyla?

Lyla: What, are you drunk again?

Tim: Soon enough, Lyla. Soon enough.

Lyla: You know, I thought God would do me a favor because I'm such a good girl. Isn't that the stupidest thing you've ever heard?

Tim: It's not stupid...

Lyla: Shut up, Tim. What's wrong with you? Jason is in the hospital, and you won't even go to see him. You can walk! You can walk on your two feet to get another glass of beer if that's what you want to do. Why don't you get it? You make me sick. Why won't you go see him? He's your best friend. He asks about you all the time. Why don't you help me? Why don't you got and see him?

Tim: Don't hit me.

Lyla: He's never gonna walk again.

They kiss...

TAYLOR'S HOUSE - Parents' room

Tami: It's 3:00 in the morning. Where have you been?

Eric: Practice.

Jason's mom: Where's Lyla? I thought she said she was gonna be here. All right, you ready?

Nurse: You gotta shift your weight back...

Lyla: Hey, sorry, I'm late.

Jason's mom: Oh, there you are. I was just asking about you.

Lyla: Hey.

Jason: I'm real sorry about last night. Can we just pretend like it didn't happen?

Lyla: Okay.

Jason: You know I didn't mean any of it. I love you.

Lyla: I love you too.

Jason: Oh. Thanks, Pop.

Nurse: You okay?

Jason: Uh-huh.

Nurse: Okay, Jason, we're sure gonna miss you around here.

Jason: I'll miss you, too. Not the room, though. I'll come back and visit.

PRACTISE

Eric: Drive it up the field. Official. Downfield. Visual. Good hands and feet, boys. Good reaction.

Matt: Hut!

Eric: Do it again, do it again. No, no, no, step back here. That a boy.

McGill: Never underestimate the power of a good spanking, Coach.

Eric: Yes, sir.

Buddy: Looking good out there, guys. Looking good. We got ourselves a quarterback, Coach. Nice speech, Coach. Did the job.

Eric: Welcome aboard, son. Jack! Take care of this boy for me, would you? Let's go! What's everyone doing? What are you looking at? Let's go, pick it up! Let's go, let's go, let's go! (WHISTLE BLOWS) Keep your head up. Let's get back in it, boys. Come on, now! (WHISTLE BLOWING)