01x05 - World w*r Three

Episode transcripts for the 2005 TV show "Doctor Who". (Ninth to Twelfth Doctor)*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

Time and Space traveling adventures of a Gallifreyan Time Lord only known as "the Doctor" and his companions.

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   Specials  

01x05 - World w*r Three

Post by bunniefuu »

A recap of 1x04 "Aliens of London".

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CONFERENCE ROOM

With a huge effort, the Doctor manages to shake the electricity from his body. Sweating, he staggers to his feet with it held in his hand.

THE DOCTOR: Deadly to humans, maybe.

He plunges it into the chest of the Slitheen. Both Joseph and the Slitheen howl with pain.

OPENING CREDITS

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CABINET ROOM

Margaret, also covered in the electricity, drops Indra's body from the wall.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, KITCHEN

In the kitchen, the Slitheen who was attacking Jackie is also suffering.

The Doctor dashes to the door, past the bodies.

Rose grabs Harriet's hand and they run from the room, Harriet whimpering slightly, Rose just looking terrified.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, KITCHEN

Jackie is still crouched on the floor in horror, watching the alien screeching in pain. Mickey appears in the doorway.

MICKEY: Jackie!

He whacks the Slitheen over the head with a chair, grabs Jackie's arms and pulls her out of the kitchen. He pauses in the doorway to take his phone out of his pocket and snap a picture of the Slitheen. He grins, and then runs to join Jackie.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, RECEPTION

The Doctor finds security all gathered in reception.

THE DOCTOR: Oi! You want aliens, you've got them. They're inside Downing Street. (Claps his hands). Come on!

He leads them in the direction of the conference room, their g*ns at the ready.

Joseph finally manages to deactivate the w*apon, and the electricity disappears. He picks up the skin suit of General Asquith.

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: Reinstate my disguise! Hurry up! Hurry! Hurry!

Joseph hastens to help the Slitheen into the skin suit.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, UPSTAIRS CORRIDORS

Rose and Jackie run down a corridor.

HARRIET: No, wait! (They stop). They're still in there! The emergency protocols! We need them!

She runs back in the direction of the cabinet room. Rose follows her, but they are quickly forced to change direction as Margaret Slitheen comes their way. She chases them. They run across a hallway, Rose closing the door behind them. Margaret simply leaps through it. Rose and Harriet arrive back in another room, shutting the door behind them.

The Doctor leads security into the meeting room, where Joseph is making the finishing touches to Asquith's skin suit. They both stop when they see the Doctor and security standing there.

JOSEPH: Where've you been?

Security start checking the bodies for any sign of life.

JOSEPH (CONT'D): I called for help, I sounded the alarm. There was this... lightening! This kind of er... um... electricity, and they all collapsed!

SGT. PRICE: I think they're all dead.

JOSEPH: That's what I'm saying. He did it! (Points at the Doctor). That man there!

THE DOCTOR: I think you will find the Prime Minister is an alien in disguise.

Joseph folds his arms skeptically. The Doctor looks at the policeman next to him.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): That's never going to work, is it?

POLICEMAN: Nope.

THE DOCTOR: Fair enough.

He runs for it.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CORRIDOR OUTSIDE CONFERENCE ROOM

Security are hot on the Doctor's tail, and he soon finds himself surrounded. He puts his hands in the air, grinning.

ASQUITH: Under the jurisdiction of the Emergency Protocols, I authorize you to execute this man!

Security ready their g*ns.

THE DOCTOR: Uh, well, now, yes. You see, eh... the thing is... if I was you, if I was going to execute someone by backing them against the wall, between you and me, little word of advice... (Life behind him pings open). Don't stand them against the lift!

He backs into the lift and closes the door with his sonic screwdriver.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, UPSTAIRS CORRIDORS

Margaret Slitheen is still chasing Rose and Harriet. Rose knees a locked door. The lift pings open, revealing the Doctor. Margaret roars at him, and he smiles and nods around at them all.

THE DOCTOR (pleasantly): Hello!

The doors shut again, distracting Margaret long enough for Rose and Harriet to slip away un-noticed.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, UPSTAIRS STATE ROOM

Rose and Harriet find themselves in a room where all the doors are locked, a dead end.

ROSE: Hide!

They both hide themselves extremely poorly.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CORRIDOR

The lift pings and the Doctor steps out on the second floor.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CORRIDOR OUTSIDE CONFERENCE ROOM

Asquith and security are still standing next to the lift they backed the Doctor against.

ASQUITH: I repeat, the upper floors are under quarantine. You will stay where you are. You will disregard all previous instructions. You will take your orders directly from me.

The lift pings. Joseph and Asquith step into it.

SGT. PRICE: Mr. Green, sir, I'm sorry but you've got to come with me. We should evacuate the entire building.

JOSEPH: Sergeant, have you uh, read the Emergency Protocols?

SGT. PRICE: No, sir.

JOSEPH: Then don't question me. (Steps back into the lift). Seal off number 10, secure the ground floor, and if the Doctor makes it downstairs, sh**t on site!

He shuts the doors. The sergeant turns to face the others.

SGT. PRICE: Well, you heard him! Move out!

They do so. The sergeant follows them.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, LIFT

ASQUITH: Let the sport begin.

Joseph farts.

JOSEPH: I'm getting poisoned by the gas exchange. I need to be naked!

ASQUITH: Rejoice in it! Your body is... magnificent.

They both undo the zips on their foreheads.

Margaret Slitheen enters.

SLITHEEN / MARGARET (playfully): Oh, such fun! Little human children... where are you? Sweet little humeykins... come to me... let me kiss you better...

Rose bolts from her hiding place behind a cabinet to take refuge behind the curtain.

SLITHEEN / MARGARET (CONT'D): ...kiss you with my big, green lips.

Hisses.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, UPSTAIRS CORRIDOR

The Doctor runs down a flight of stairs, hearing the Sergeant barking orders in the distance. Then he hears the lift ping, and hastily backtracks and hides in a crevice next to the door. The two Slitheen walk past.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: We'll keep this floor quarantined as our last hunting ground before the final phase.

The Doctor waits until they are out of sight.

The two Slitheen, Joseph and Asquith join Margaret.

SLITHEEN/MARGARET: My brothers.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: Happy hunting?

SLITHEEN / MARGARET: It's wonderful. The more you prolong it, the more they stink. SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: Sweat... and fear.

Harriet's mouth drops open with horror.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: I can smell an old girl... stale bird... brittle bones.

SLITHEEN / MARGARET: And a ripe youngster. All hormones and adrenaline. Fresh enough to bend before she snaps.

Margaret sweeps the curtain aside revealing Rose, who screams. Harriet jumps out from her hiding place.

HARRIET: No! Take me first! Take me!

The Doctor crashes in and blasts a fire extinguisher in the Slitheen's faces.

THE DOCTOR: Out! With me!

Rose pulls the curtains down over Margaret's head and then both she and Margaret run to stand behind the Doctor. The Doctor looks at Harriet.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Who the hell are you?

HARRIET: Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North.

THE DOCTOR: Nice to meet you.

HARRIET: Likewise.

The Doctor blasts the fire extinguisher again. Then they run for it.

THE DOCTOR: We need to get to the cabinet rooms!

HARRIET: The Emergency Protocols are in there! They give instructions on aliens!

THE DOCTOR: Harriet Jones, I like you.

HARRIET: And I like you too.

They run. The Doctor bypasses a locked door with his sonic screwdriver and the Slitheen pursue them all the way back to the cabinet room.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, CABINET ROOM / ADJOINING ROOM

They have no time to close the door, so instead the Doctor picks up a bottle of brandy and hold his sonic screwdriver to it.

THE DOCTOR: One more move and my sonic device will triplicate the flammability of this alcohol. Whoof! We all go up. So back off.

The Slitheen hesitate.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Right then. Question time. Who exactly are the Slitheen?

HARRIET: They're aliens.

THE DOCTOR: Yes. I got that, thanks.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: Who are you, if not human?

HARRIET: Who's not human?

ROSE: He's not human.

HARRIET: He's not human?

THE DOCTOR: Can I have a bit of hush?

HARRIET: Sorry.

THE DOCTOR: So, what's the plan?

HARRIET: But he's got a Northern accent.

ROSE: Lots of planets have a North.

THE DOCTOR: I said hush. Come on!

He holds the brandy threateningly out in front of him.

THE DOCTOR: You've got a spaceship hidden in the North Sea. It's transmitting a signal. You've m*rder*d your way to the top of government, what for? Invasion?

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: Why would we inv*de this God forsaken rock?

THE DOCTOR: Then something's brought the Slitheen race here, what is it?

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: The Slitheen race?

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: Slitheen is not our species. Slitheen is our surname. Jocrassa Fel Fotch Pasameer Day Slitheen at your service.

THE DOCTOR: So, you're family.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: It's a family business.

THE DOCTOR: Then you're out to make a profit. How can you do that on a "God forsaken rock"?

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: Ahhh... excuse me? Your device will do what? Triplicate the flammability...?

THE DOCTOR: Is that what I said?

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: You're making it up!

THE DOCTOR: Ah, well! Nice try. Harriet, have a drink. I think you're gonna need it.

Offers her the brandy.

HARRIET: Pass it to the left first.

THE DOCTOR: Sorry.

Hands it to Rose.

ROSE: Thanks.

SLITHEEN / ASQUITH: Now we can end this hunt... with a slaughter.

He flexes his claws menacingly. The Doctor fold his arms.

ROSE: Don't you think we should run?

The Slitheen shuffle forward.

THE DOCTOR: Fascinating history, Downing Street. Two thousand years ago, this was marsh land. 1730, it was occupied by a Mr. Chicken. He was a nice man. 1796, this was the cabinet room - if the cabinet's in session and in danger, these are about the four most safest walls in the whole of Great Britain. (Presses a switch near the door). End of lesson.

Every entrance to the room is immediately blocked by metal shutters. The Doctor turns to Rose and Harriet.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Installed in 1991. Three inches of steel lining every single wall. They'll never get in.

ROSE: And how do we get out?

Pause.

THE DOCTOR: Ah.

INT.10 DOWNING STREET, ADJOINING ROOM

JOSEPH: He is safely contained. Now, cut off communications inside that room, then summon the family, it's time we finished with this insane planet for good!

They make to leave.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Jackie and Mickey emerge from a side door of the block of flats. They run stealthily across the yard to avoid detection from the policeman who still surround the building. They remain unnoticed.

EXT. 10 DOWNING STREET

REPORTER: And there's still no word from inside Downing Street, though we are getting even more new arrivals.

He looks around as another fat man gets out of a car outside Downing Street.

REPORTER (CONT'D): That's group Captain Tennant James of the RAF, though why he's been summoned, I've no idea.

Another man emerges from a car.

REPORTER (CONT'D): And that's ah... Ewan McAllister. Deputy Secretary for the Scottish Parliament. And this is most unusual!

A fat woman makes her way to 10 Downing Street.

REPORTER (CONT'D): I'm told that is Sylvia Dillane, chairman of the North Sea Boating Club. Quite what connects these people, we have no idea.

Margaret comes down the stairs and greats Tennant James.

MARGARET: Group Captain, delighted you could make it. We're meeting upstairs.

He farts.

MARGARET (CONT'D): That's the spirit. Off you go.

Ewan McAllister stands in front of her - she shakes his hand.

MARGARET (CONT'D): Good to see you! (Nods pleasantly at Sylvia). Come on through!

Asquith stops the Sergeant as he goes past.

ASQUITH: Ah! Sergeant, now that the Doctor's been neutralized, the upper levels are out of bounds, to everyone.

SGT. PRICE: Then who are they?

He nods towards the three newcomers who are now going up the stairs.

ASQUITH: Ahh, Sergeant. I want you to liaise with communications, the acting Prime Minister will be making a public address. He will speak to the nations of the world.

He walks off, leaving the Sergeant looking bewildered and confused.

INT.10 DOWNING STREET, UPSTAIRS CORRIDOR

Margaret is showing her family into a room.

MARGARET: There you are, if you'd just like to go through and get changed.

She ushers Sylvia into the room and grabs a coat hanger on her way to the other door. She takes a skin suit from an emerging Slitheen.

MARGARET (CONT'D): Now, if you'd like to head down to the end corridor, it's first on the left.

SLITHEEN: Thank you.

Margaret hangs the skin suit up.

INT. MICKEY'S FLAT, KITCHEN

Jackie and Mickey are in Mickey's kitchen. Mickey is holding a kettle.

JACKIE: Have you got anything stronger?

MICKEY: No chance, I've seen you when you've had a few, this ain't time for a conga.

JACKIE (sits): We've gotta tell someone.

MICKEY: Who do we trust? For all we know, they've all got big bog monsters inside of them. I mean, this is what he does, Jacks. (Brandishes a couple of mugs at her in his enthusiasm). Everywhere he goes, death and destruction, and he's got Rose in the middle of it.

JACKIE: Has he got a great big green thing inside him, then?

MICKEY: I wouldn't put it past him. (Takes a bottle of milk from the fridge). But like it or not, he's the only person who knows how to fight these things.

JACKIE: I thought I was gonna die.

She bursts into tears. Mickey gives her a quick hug.

MICKEY: Come on, yeah? If anyone's gonna cry, it's gonna be me. Now, you're safe in my flat, Jacks, no one's gonna look for you here, especially since you hate me so much.

JACKIE: You saved my life. God, that's embarrassing.

MICKEY: You're telling me.

They laugh slightly.

JACKIE: He wanted me dead. And he's still out there, Mickey... (Stands). That policeman... that thing...

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

Strickland sniffs the air. He turns to another policeman behind him.

STRICKLAND: Right, you head off. You're in full control, I've got one or two things that still need doing. I haven't quite finished with Mrs. Tyler yet...

The other police officers nod and get in the car.

Joseph goes up to Margaret who is adjusting the skin suit on the hangers.

JOSEPH: Is that all of us?

MARGARET: All the family except Sit Fel Fotch. He's found a hunt of his own.

JOSEPH: Ah!

They smile and he walks off.

The Doctor drags Indra's body into a cupboard.

THE DOCTOR: What was his name?

HARRIET: Which one?

THE DOCTOR
This one, the secretary or whatever he was called.

Harriet goes to look.

HARRIET: I don't know. I talked to him. I brought him a cup of coffee. I never asked his name.

The Doctor crosses Indra's hands over his body.

THE DOCTOR: Sorry. (Strides into the room). Right, what have we got? Any terminals? Anything?

ROSE: No. The place is antique. What I don't get, is when they k*lled the Prime Minister, why didn't they use him as a disguise?

THE DOCTOR: He's too slim, they're big old beasts, they need to fit inside big humans.

ROSE: But the Slitheen are about 8 feet, how do they squeeze inside?

THE DOCTOR: That's the device around their necks, compression field, literally shrinks them down a bit. That's why there's all that gas, it's a big exchange.

ROSE: Wish I had a compression field, I could fit a size smaller.

HARRIET: Excuse me, people are dead, this is not the time for making jokes.

ROSE: Sorry... you get used to this stuff when you're friends with him.

She indicates the Doctor, who is busy scanning the walls with his sonic screwdriver.

HARRIET: Well, that's a strange friendship.

THE DOCTOR: Harriet Jones, I've heard that name before, Harriet Jones. You're not famous for anything, are you?

HARRIET: Huh! Hardly.

THE DOCTOR: Rings a bell, Harriet Jones...

He looks as though he is struggling to remember something.

HARRIET: Lifelong back bencher I'm afraid, and a fat lot of use I'm being now, the protocols are redundant, they list the people who can help and they're all dead downstairs.

ROSE: Hasn't it got like, defence codes and things? Can we just launch a nuclear b*mb at 'em?

HARRIET (stares): You're a very violent young woman...

ROSE: I'm serious! We could!

HARRIET: Well, there's nothing like that in here. Nuclear strikes do need a release code, yes, but it's kept secret by the United Nations.

The Doctor stops scanning the mantelpiece with his sonic screwdriver to listen.

THE DOCTOR: Say that again.

HARRIET: What, about the codes?

THE DOCTOR: Anything. All of it.

HARRIET: Um, well... the British Isles can't gain access to atomic weapons without a special resolution from the UN.

ROSE: Like that's every stopped them.

HARRIET: Exactly, given our past record, and I voted against that, thank you very much. The codes have been taken out of the governments hands and given to the UN.

The Doctor is deep in thought.

HARRIET (CONT'D): Is it important?

THE DOCTOR: Everything's important.

HARRIET: If we only knew what the Slitheen wanted. Listen to me, I'm saying "Slitheen" as if it's normal.

ROSE: What do they want, though?

THE DOCTOR: Well, it's just one family so it's not an invasion. They don't want Slitheen world... they're out to make money, which means they want to use something, something here on Earth... some kind of asset.

HARRIET: Like what? Gold? Oil? Water?

THE DOCTOR: You're very good at this.

HARRIET (pleased): Thank you.

THE DOCTOR: Harriet Jones, why do I know that name?

Rose's phone goes off.

ROSE: Oh! That's me.

She takes her phone out of her pocket.

HARRIET: But we're sealed off, how did you get a signal?

ROSE: He zapped it! Super-phone.

HARRIET (to the Doctor): Then we can phone for help! You must have contacts.

THE DOCTOR: Dead downstairs, yeah.

ROSE: It's Mickey.

THE DOCTOR: Oh, tell your stupid boyfriend we're busy.

ROSE: Yeah, he's not so stupid after all.

She hands the Doctor her phone. Mickey has sent her the photo of the Slitheen in Jackie's kitchen.

INT. MICKEY'S FLAT, BEDROOM

Mickey and Jackie enter Mickey's bedroom, Mickey checking around the door first. He is on the phone to Rose.

MICKEY: No, no, no, no, no, not just alien, but like, proper alien. All stinking, and wet, and disgusting. And more to the point, it wanted to k*ll us!

JACKIE: I could've d*ed!

Mickey gestures violently at Jackie.

ROSE: Is she alright, though? Don't put her on, just tell me.

The Doctor snatches the phone from her.

THE DOCTOR: Is that Ricky? Don't talk, just shut up and go to your computer.

MICKEY: It's Mickey. And why should I?

THE DOCTOR: Mickey the Idiot, I might just choke before I finish this sentence, but eh, I need you.

Rose smiles.

Mickey is on the UNIT website.

MICKEY: It says password.

The Doctor is putting the mobile on speakerphone.

THE DOCTOR: Say again.

MICKEY: It's asking for the password.

THE DOCTOR: Buffalo, two Fs, one L.

Jackie puts down two cups of tea on the computer desk.

JACKIE: So, what's that website?

Mickey finishes typing in the password and turns to her as the page loads.

MICKEY: All the secret information known to mankind.

MICKEY (CONT'D): See, they've known about aliens for years, they just kept us in the dark.

THE DOCTOR: Mickey, you were born in the dark.

ROSE: Oh, leave him alone.

MICKEY: Thank you. Password again.

THE DOCTOR: Just repeat it, every time.

Mickey hands Jackie the phone as he types it in again.

THE DOCTOR: Big Ben, why did the Slitheen hit Big Ben?

HARRIET: You said to gather the experts, to k*ll them.

THE DOCTOR: That lot would've gathered for a weather balloon, you don't need to crash land in the middle of London.

ROSE: The Slitheen were hiding, and then they put the entire planet on red alert, what would they do that for?

JACKIE: Oh, listen to her.

ROSE: At least I'm trying!

JACKIE: Well, I've got a question if you don't mind. Because since that man walked into our lives, I have been att*cked in the streets. I have had creatures from the pits of hell in my own living room, and my daughter's disappeared off the face of the Earth.

ROSE: I told you what happened.

JACKIE: I'm talking to him. 'Cause I've seen this life of yours, Doctor. And maybe you get off on it. And maybe you think it's all clever and smart, but you tell me. Just answer me this - is my daughter safe?

Mickey looks around at her.

The Doctor stares intently at the phone.

ROSE: I'm fine.

JACKIE: Is she safe? Will she always be safe? Can you promise me that?

The Doctor glances up at Rose, who looks back at him. They stare at each other.

JACKIE: Well, what's the answer?

Mickey grabs the phone off Jackie, breaking the moment.

MICKEY: We're in.

Let off the hook, the Doctor rushes around the table.

THE DOCTOR: Right then, on the left, there's a tab, an icon, little concentric circles. Click on that.

MICKEY: What is it?

THE DOCTOR: The Slitheen have got a spaceship in the North Sea and it's transmitting that signal, now hush, let me work out what it's saying.

JACKIE: He'll have to answer me one day.

MICKEY (gesturing violently): Hush!

THE DOCTOR: It's some sort of message.

ROSE: What's it say?

THE DOCTOR: Don't know, it's on a loop, keeps repeating.

Mickey's doorbell rings.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Hush!

MICKEY: That's not me. (To Jackie). Go and see who that is.

JACKIE: It's three o'clock in the morning.

MICKEY: Well go and tell them that.

Jackie gives him a look as she gets up. Mickey shakes his head.

THE DOCTOR: It's beaming out into space, who's it for?

INT. MICKEY'S FLAT, HALLWAY

The doorbell rings more persistently.

JACKIE: Alright!

She opens the door to reveal Strickland.

STRICKLAND: Mrs Tyler.

Jackie slams it shut again and runs back to Mickey's room squealing.

JACKIE: It's him! It's the thing, it's the Slickeen!

MICKEY: They've found us.

THE DOCTOR: Mickey, I need that signal.

ROSE: Never mind the signal, mum just get out! Get out! Get out!

Mickey picks up a cricket bat.

MICKEY: We can't, it's by the front door.

EXT. MICKEY'S FLAT

Outside the front door, the Slitheen takes his body suit off.

Jackie and Mickey see the blue light shining beneath the cracks around the door.

MICKEY: Oh, my God. It's unmasking. It's gonna k*ll us.

HARRIET: There's got to be some way of stopping them! (To the Doctor): You're supposed to be the expert, think of something!

THE DOCTOR: I'm trying!

The Slitheen makes worrying noises from outside.

MICKEY: I'll take it on, Jackie. You just run. Don't look back. Just run.

He squares himself in front of the door.

Down the phone, they hear the Slitheen smashing the door in.

ROSE: That's my mother.

THE DOCTOR: Right! If we're going to find their weakness, we need to find out where they're from - which planet. So, judging by their face and shape, that narrows it down to five thousand planets within travelling distance. What else do we know about them? Information!

ROSE: They're green.

THE DOCTOR: Yep, narrows it down.

ROSE: Uh, good sense of smell.

THE DOCTOR: Narrows it down.

ROSE: They can smell adrenaline.

HARRIET: The compression technology.

ROSE: The spaceship in the Thames, you said slipstream engine?

The Slitheen punches a hole through the door.

MICKEY: It's getting in!

ROSE: Oh! They hunt like it's a ritual.

HARRIET: Wait a minute! Did you notice, when they fart, if you'll pardon the word, it doesn't just smell like a fart; if you'll pardon the word, it's something else, what is it, it's more like uh... um...

ROSE: Bad breath!

HARRIET: That's it!

THE DOCTOR: Calcium decay! Now that narrows it down!

ROSE: We're getting there, mum!

MICKEY: Too late!

The Slitheen is still having some trouble getting through the door.

THE DOCTOR: Calcium phosphate, organic calcium, living calcium, creatures made out of living calcium, what else, what else, hyphenated sodium, yes! That narrows it down to one planet! Raxacoricofallapatorius!

MICKEY: Oh, yeah, great. We could write 'em a letter.

The Slitheen kicks half the door down and begins to step through it.

THE DOCTOR: Get into the kitchen!

Jackie and Mickey back into the kitchen.

They slam the door, trying to bar it shut with a chair and a dustbin as the Slitheen throws its weight against it.

JACKIE: My God, it's going to rip us apart!

THE DOCTOR: Calcium, recombined with compression field, ascetic acid. Vinegar!

HARRIET: Just like Hannibal!

THE DOCTOR: Just like Hannibal. Mickey, have you got any vinegar?

MICKEY: How should I know?

THE DOCTOR: It's your kitchen.

ROSE: Cupboard by the sink, middle shelf.

Jackie snatches the phone from Mickey.

JACKIE: Give it here, what do you need?

THE DOCTOR: Anything with vinegar!

Jackie grabs a jug and opens the cupboard.

JACKIE: Gherkins!

The Slitheen is poking holes in the door with its claws.

JACKIE (CONT'D): Yeah! Pickled onions!

She adds them to the jug. Mickey has the bat raised ready.

JACKIE: Picked eggs!

THE DOCTOR (to Rose): You kiss this man?

The Slitheen finally kicks down the door and enters the kitchen. Jackie and Mickey back against the counter. Jackie chucks the vinegar all over it. There is a few seconds silence and then it explodes, splattering the whole room, Jackie and Mickey with green goo.

Having heard the bang, the Doctor, Rose and Harriet all breath a sigh of relief.

Mickey lowers his bat.

ROSE: Hannibal?

HARRIET: Hannibal crossed the Alps by dissolving boulders with vinegar.

ROSE: Oh. Well, there you go then.

They raise their glasses in toast, and drink.

ROSE (CONT'D): Phew!

Downstairs, Asquith approaches Joseph.

ASQUITH: He's dead. Sip Fel Fotch Pasameer, Day Slitheen is dead.

JOSEPH: I felt it. How could that happen?

ASQUITH: Somebody must've got lucky.

JOSEPH: That's the last piece of luck anyone on this rock will ever have.

EXT. 10 DOWNING STREET

Joseph and Asquith walk out of the doors of 10 Downing Street, to address the crowd outside. He faces the camera.

JOSEPH: Ladies and Gentlemen, Nations of the World, Human Kind. The greatest experts in extra-terrestrial events came here tonight. They gathered in the common cause. But the news I bring you now is grave indeed.

INT. MICKEY'S FLAT, LIVING ROOM

Mickey, wiping the goo off himself with a towel, comes into the living room to watch Joseph on the TV.

JOSEPH (CONT'D): The experts are dead. m*rder*d, right in front of me by alien hands. Peoples of the Earth, heed my words. These visitors do not come in peace.

Mickey takes the phone off Jackie.

MICKEY: Listen to this.

He holds the phone to the TV.

JOSEPH: Our inspectors have searched the sky above our heads and they have found massive weapons of destruction, capable of being deployed within 45 seconds.

The Doctor, Rose and Harriet are crowded around the phone, listening to him.

THE DOCTOR: What?

JOSEPH: Our technicians can, baffle, the alien probes. But not for long. We are facing extinction. Unless we strike first. The United Kingdom stands directly beneath the belly of the mother ship. I beg the United Nations - pass an emergency resolution. Give us the access codes! A nuclear strike at the heart of the ship is our only chance of survival. Because... from this moment on... it is my solemn duty to inform you... planet Earth is at w*r.

THE DOCTOR: He's making it up. There's no weapons up there, there's no thr*at. He just invented it.

HARRIET: Do you think they'll believe him?

ROSE: They did last time.

THE DOCTOR: That's why the Slitheen went for spectacle. They want the whole world panicking, because you lot, you get scared, you lash out.

ROSE: They release the defence codes...

THE DOCTOR: And the Slitheen go nuclear.

HARRIET: But why?

The Doctor opens the metal shutters. The Slitheen are still standing outside the door.

THE DOCTOR: You get the codes, release the missiles. But not into space because there's nothing there. You att*ck every other country on Earth, they retaliate, fight back. World w*r Three, whole planet gets nuked.

Margaret Slitheen, still in her skin suit, stands before the Doctor.

MARGARET: And we can sit through it in our spaceship waiting in the Thames. Not crashed. Just parked. They'll be two minutes away.

HARRIET: But you'll destroy the planet, this beautiful place. What for?

THE DOCTOR: Profit. That's what the signal is beaming into space, an advert.

MARGARET: Sale of the century. We reduce the Earth to molten slag, then sell it. Piece by piece. Radioactive chucks capable of powering every cut-price star liner and budget cargo ship. There's a recession out there, Doctor. People are buying cheap. This rock becomes raw fuel.

THE DOCTOR: At the cost of 5 billion lives.

MARGARET: Bargain.

THE DOCTOR: Then I give you the choice: leave this planet or I'll stop you.

The Slitheen all burst out laughing.

MARGARET: What? You? Trapped in your box?

The Doctor does not look remotely abashed. He stares her out.

THE DOCTOR: Yes. Me.

Margaret laughs again, but nervously. The Doctor fixes her in his gaze and closes the shutters. The smirk fades from Margaret's face.

EXT. EMBANKMENT

London is almost completely deserted.

REPORTER: Yesterday saw the start of a brave new world. Today might see it end. The streets are deserted. Everyone's home - just waiting. As the future is decided in New York.

INT. STUDIO

NEWSREADER: It's midnight here in New York. The United Nations has gathered. England has provided them with absolute proof that the massive weapons of mass destruction do exist. The security counsel will be making a resolution in a matter of minutes.

INT. MICKEY'S FLAT, LIVING ROOM

Mickey picks up the phone from the top of the TV.

NEWSREADER (CONT'D): And once the codes are released, humanity's first interplanetary w*r begins.

Jackie is watching the TV biting her nails, scared and anxious.

Inside 10 Downing Street, Margaret and Asquith make to go up the stairs as Joseph pauses at the bottom to talk to the Sergeant.

JOSEPH: Sergeant. We'll take the call in the Prime Minister's office. Maintain the oppositions. Good luck.

They shake hands. Asquith pats him genially on the shoulder, and the Sergeant resumes his post at the bottom of the stairs.

INT. 10 DOWNING STREET, PRIME MINISTER'S OFFICE

Margaret, Asquith and Joseph bundle their way into the Prime Minister's office, all insanely excited.

MARGARET: Oh! Look at that! The telephone is actually red.

She blows it a kiss. Joseph sits down behind the desk, farting as he does so.

JOSEPH (excitedly): How long 'til they phone?!

ASQUITH: Counting down...!

Jackie is on the phone again.

JACKIE: Alright, Doctor. I'm not saying I trust you, but there must be something you can do.

HARRIET: If we ferment the porch, we could make ascetic acid.

ROSE: Mickey, any luck?

MICKEY: There's loads of emergency numbers, they're all on voicemail.

The Doctor is standing quietly with his arms folded, leaning against the wall away from the other two. He is deep in thought.

HARRIET: Voicemail dooms us all.

ROSE: If we could just get out of here...

THE DOCTOR: There's a way out.

ROSE: What?

She turns to face him incredulously.

THE DOCTOR: There's always been a way out.

ROSE: Then why don't we use it?

The Doctor strides over to the table and leans over to speak into the phone.

THE DOCTOR (to Jackie): Because I can't guarantee your daughter will be safe.

JACKIE: Don't you dare. Whatever it is, don't you dare.

THE DOCTOR: That's the thing, if I don't dare, everyone dies.

ROSE: Do it.

The Doctor looks up at her.

THE DOCTOR: You don't even know what it is, you'd just let me?

ROSE (simply): Yeah.

The Doctor stares at her.

JACKIE: Please, Doctor. Please! She's my daughter, she's just a kid!

THE DOCTOR: Do you think I don't know that? Because this is my life, Jackie, it's not fun, it's not smart, it's just standing up and making a decision because nobody else will.

ROSE (softly): Then what're you waiting for?

The Doctor looks up at her again.

THE DOCTOR: I could save the world but lose you.

They stare intensely into each others eyes for a long moment until Rose averts her gaze with a shy smile.

HARRIET: Except it's not your decision, Doctor. It's mine.

JACKIE (angrily): And who the hell are you?

HARRIET: Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North. The only elected representative in this room, chosen by the people, for the people, and on behalf of the people I command you. Do it.

The Doctor looks back at Rose and grins.

Joseph, Margaret and Asquith are still waiting for the phone to ring.

JOSEPH: Victory... should be naked!

He unzips his forehead. The other two follow suit.

Rose jumps onto the table.

ROSE: How do we get out?

Doctor opens the briefcase containing the emergency protocols.

THE DOCTOR: We don't. We stay here.

He opens the emergency protocols.

INT. STUDIO

In New York, the newsreader receives new information through her earpiece.

NEWS READER : The counsel is voting. The results should be known any second now.

The Slitheen finish removing their skin suits.

The Doctor shuffles through the protocols and then turns to address Mickey.

THE DOCTOR: Use the buffalo password, it overrides everything.

Mickey types the password in. Jackie watches him.

JACKIE: What're you doing?

MICKEY (as though he can't quite believe what he is saying): Hacking into the Royal Navy. (After a moment). We're in. Here it is, uh... H.M.S. Taurean, Trafalgar Class Submarine, 10 miles off the coast of Plymouth.

Jackie stands, agitated.

THE DOCTOR: Right, we need to select a m*ssile.

MICKEY: We can't go nuclear, we don't have the defence codes.

THE DOCTOR: We don't need it, all we need is an ordinary m*ssile. What's the first category?MICKEY: Sub Haffoon, UGMA4A.

THE DOCTOR: That's the one. Select.

Jackie walks up behind Mickey.

JACKIE: I could stop you.

MICKEY (turns): Do it, then.

THE DOCTOR: Ready for this?

Mickey and Jackie stare at each other for a few more seconds, but Jackie doesn't move.

MICKEY: Yeah.

He looks back at the screen. Jackie sits back down.

THE DOCTOR: Mickey the Idiot. The world is in your hands. Fire.

Breathing heavily, Mickey screws up his eyes and clicks the Fire button.

EXT. OCEAN

10 miles off the coast of Plymouth, a m*ssile launches itself out of the sea.

JACKIE: Oh, my God.

The m*ssile is shown on the screen.

Harriet taps the steel shutters.

HARRIET: How solid are these?

THE DOCTOR: Not solid enough, built for short range att*ck, nothing this big.

ROSE: Alright. Now I'm making the decision. I'm not gonna die, we're gonna ride this one out. (Opens the cupboard door). It's like what they say about earthquakes, you can survive 'em by standing under a doorframe. Now this cupboard's small so it's strong. Come and help me! Come on!

Harriet hurries to help her.

EXT. OCEAN

The m*ssile soars over the sea.

INT. STUDIO

NEW YORK NEWSREADER

The vote is in. The counsel says... yes. They are releasing the codes.

The Slitheen family are now all gathered around the phone.

SLITHEEN / JOSEPH: Ring, damn you!

Mickey is still staring at the computer screen.

MICKEY: It's on radar. Counter defence 556.

THE DOCTOR: Stop them intercepting it.

MICKEY: I'm doing it now.

THE DOCTOR: Good boy.

Mickey taps a few keys.

MICKEY: 556 neutralized.

The Doctor rips the mobile off speaker phone.

Downstairs, the Sergeant rushes to a computer terminal, looking over the operator's shoulder.

SGT PRICE: What do you mean, "incoming"?

The operator points at the screen where the m*ssile shows up on radar.

EXT. OVER LONDON

The m*ssile soars over London.

The Sergeant smashes the glass on the fire alarm, which goes off.

SGT. PRICE: Everybody out! Now! Get out!

Everyone runs to the door.

The Slitheen family hear the alarm.

JOSEPH: What the hell is that for?

The Sergeant bursts in.

SGT PRICE: Sir, there's a m*ssile!

The Slitheen all look round at him.

SGT PRICE (CONT'D): ...Sorry.

He runs out again.

EXT. MICKEY'S FLAT, BALCONY

The m*ssile soars past Mickey's flat. Jackie runs out onto the balcony to watch it.

Two of the female Slitheen are fighting over Margaret's skin suit.

SLITHEEN 1: That's mine!

SLITHEEN 2: No, mine!

The others are all struggling to get back inside their skin suits.

EXT. 10 DOWNING STREET

A hoard of security guards run out of the door of 10 Downing Street. The Sergeant fires a g*n into the air.

SGT PRICE: Everybody run!

Everyone runs. He looks up into the sky to see the m*ssile making straight for 10 Downing Street.

Rose, the Doctor and Harriet bundle into the cupboard. The crouch in a corner, Rose and Harriet either side of the Doctor.

HARRIET: Nice knowing you both.

They all hold hands.

HARRIET (CON'T): Hannibal!

They brace themselves.

The second before the m*ssile hits, the Slitheen all look up.

SLITHEEN: Oh, boll...

The m*ssile hits.

EXT. 10 DOWNING STREET

The whole of 10 Downing Street explodes in flames.

The Doctor, Rose and Harriet are all severely shaken around in their cupboard. Then it stops.

EXT. 10 DOWNING STREET

The place is in ruins, smoking. Then, the Doctor, Rose and Harriet emerge from the wreckage. Harriet looks around.

HARRIET: Made in Britain.

The Sergeant hurries over to them.

SGT PRICE: Are you alright?

HARRIET (flashing her ID card at him): Harriet Jones. MP, Flydale North. I want you to contact UN immediately, tell the ambassadors the crisis is over and they can step down. Go on, tell the news!

SGT PRICE: Yes, ma'am.

He hurries away again.

HARRIET: Someone's got a hell of a job sorting this lot out. Oh, Lord! We haven't even got a Prime Minister!

THE DOCTOR: Well, maybe you should have a go.

HARRIET: Me? (Laughs). I'm only a back-bencher.

ROSE: I'd vote for ya!

HARRIET: Now, don't be silly.

Rose and the Doctor grin.

HARRIET (CONT'D): Look, I'd better go and see if I can help.

She climbs over the rubble towards the crowd of people. The Doctor beams at Rose.

HARRIET (CONT'D): Hang on! (Shouts over to the crowd). The Earth is safe! Sergeant!

The Doctor and Rose walk together.

THE DOCTOR: I thought I knew the name.

He watches her hurry over to the cameras and ambulances.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Harriet Jones, future Prime Minister. Elected for three successive terms, the architect of Britain's Golden Age.

HARRIET: The crisis has passed! Ladies and Gentlemen, I have something to say to you all!

Rose and the Doctor watch her fondly from a distance. Then they turn and walk away. Harriet speaks to the camera.

HARRIET (CONT'D): Mankind stands tall, proud, and undefeated. God bless the human race.

She beams around at them all.

INT. TYLER'S FLAT, LIVING ROOM

Rose enters her flat, and is greeted with a huge hug from a relieved Jackie. They both close their eyes, happy to be together again.

INT. TARDIS

The Doctor enters the TARDIS, looking very pleased with himself. He starts the engines and grins up at it.

Rose is sitting on the chair in front of the TV, watching a repeat of Harriet Jones' speech.

HARRIET: Mankind stands tall, proud.

Jackie comes in.

JACKIE (contemptuously): Harriet Jones. Who does she think she is? Look at her! Taking all the credit. Should be you on there. (Addresses TV): My daughter saved the world!

ROSE: I think the Doctor helped a bit...

JACKIE (sitting down): Oh, alright then. Him too. You should be given knighthoods.

ROSE: That's not the way he does things. No fuss, he just... moves on. He's not that bad if you gave him a chance.

JACKIE: He's good in a crisis, I'll give him that.

ROSE: Oh! Now the world has changed, you're saying nice things about him.

JACKIE: Well, I reckon I've got no choice! There's no getting rid of him since you're infatuated. ROSE (unconvincingly): I'm not infatuated...

JACKIE: What does he eat?

ROSE: How do you mean?

JACKIE: I was gonna do shepherds pie.

Rose sniggers.

JACKIE (CONT'D): All of us. A proper sit down. 'Cause... I'm ready to listen. I wanna learn about you and him and that life you lead. Only, I dunno, he's an alien. For all I know, he eats grass and safety pins and things.

ROSE: He'll have shepherd pie. You're gonna cook for him?

JACKIE: What's wrong with that?

ROSE: He's finally met his match.

JACKIE: You're not too old for a slap, you know.

Rose giggles. Jackie gets up and goes to the kitchen.

JACKIE (CONT'D): You can go and visit your gran tomorrow.

Rose's mobile rings.

JACKIE (CONT'D): You'd better learn some French. I told her you were in France. I said you were au-pairing.

The caller ID on the screen of Rose's mobile reads 'TARDIS calling' complete with a little TARDIS icon. Rose answers.

ROSE: Hello?

INT. TARDIS

THE DOCTOR: Right, I'll be a couple of hours, then we can go.

ROSE (incredulous): You've got a phone?

THE DOCTOR: You think I can travel through space and time and I haven't got a phone? (Laughs contemptuously). Like I said, couple of hours... I've just got to send out this dispersal...(Presses a button). There you go. That's cancelling out the Slitheen's advert in case any bargain hunters turn up.

ROSE: My mother's cooking.

INT. TARDIS

THE DOCTOR: Good! Put her on a slow heat and let her simmer.

ROSE: She's cooking tea. For us.

THE DOCTOR: I don't do that.

ROSE: She wants to get to know you.

INT. TARDIS

THE DOCTOR: Tough! I've got better things to do!

ROSE: It's just tea.

THE DOCTOR: Not to me it isn't.

ROSE: She's my mother.

THE DOCTOR: Well, she's not mine!

ROSE: That's not fair!

THE DOCTOR: Well, you can stay there if you want! (Pause). But right now there's this plasma storm brewing in the horse head nebula.

Rose listens to him intently.

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Fires are burning 10 million miles wide. I could fly the TARDIS right into the heart of it then ride the shock wave all the way out - hurtle right across the sky and end up anywhere.

INT. TARDIS

THE DOCTOR (CONT'D): Your choice.

He hangs up.

He hangs up. Rose ends the call slowly and presses the phone to her lips, deep in thought.

INT. TARDIS

The Doctor pauses for a second and then goes back to the console.

Jackie comes back into the living room with two cups of tea.

JACKIE: Rose, I was thinking...

Rose's seat is empty, so Jackie walks in the direction of Rose's bedroom instead.

JACKIE (CONT'D): I've got that bottle of Amaretto from New Years Eve, does he drink?

INT. TYLERS' FLAT, ROSE'S BEDROOM

Jackie opens the door to Rose's bedroom. Rose is stuffing some clothes into a bag. Jackie watches her.

JACKIE: I was wondering whether he drinks or not.

ROSE: Yeah, he does.

She continues stuffing the clothes into the bag.

JACKIE (quietly): Don't go, sweetheart.

Rose stops for a moment and looks around at her.

JACKIE: Please don't go.

Guiltily, Rose continues to pack.

EXT. POWELL ESTATE

It is night time. Mickey is sitting reading a newspaper on a bin outside the TARDIS. The small boy who graffiti'd the TARDIS the previous day is now busy cleaning it off again. The Doctor pokes his head around the door.

THE DOCTOR: Good lad. Graffiti that again and I'll 'ave ya. Now, b*at it.

The little boy scurries off. The Doctor grins. Mickey glances after him. The Doctor walks over to Mickey.

MICKEY: I just went down the shop. And I was thinking, you know, like the whole world's changed. Aliens and spaceships all in public. And here it is.

He shows the Doctor the front page of the newspaper, headlined "Alien Hoax?". The Doctor gives a small smile.

MICKEY (CONT'D): How could they do that? They saw it!

THE DOCTOR: They're just not ready. You're happy to believe in something that's invisible, but if it's staring you in the face, nope! Can't see it! There's a scientific explanation for that. You're thick.

Mickey laughs.

MICKEY: We're just idiots.

THE DOCTOR: Well, not all of you.

MICKEY (surprised): Yeah?

THE DOCTOR: Present for you, Mickey. (hands Mickey a disc). That's a virus. Put it online, it'll destroy every mention of me. I'll cease to exist.

MICKEY: What do you want to do that for?

THE DOCTOR: 'Cos you're right. I am dangerous. I don't want anybody following me.

In the background, Jackie and Rose emerge from the flats.

MICKEY: How can you say that, and then take her with you?

Gestures Rose.

THE DOCTOR: You could look after her. Come with us.

MICKEY: I can't. This life of yours... it's just too much, I... I couldn't do it. (As Jackie and Rose approach). Don't tell her I said that.

JACKIE (to Rose, pleading): I'll get a proper job. I'll work weekends, I'll pass my test and if Jim comes round again, I'll say no. I really will.

ROSE: I'm not leaving 'cos of you. I'm travelling, that's all. And then I'll come back!

JACKIE: But it's not safe.

ROSE: Mum... if you saw it out there... you'd never stay home.

She turns to the Doctor, taking her backpack off her shoulders.

THE DOCTOR (sarcastically): Got enough stuff?

ROSE: Last time I stepped in there, it was spur of the moment.

She throws an enormous bag into the Doctor's arms.

ROSE (CONT'D): Now I'm signing up. You're stuck with me. Haha.

Rose goes up to Mickey - Jackie looks the Doctor up and down.

ROSE (to Mickey): Come with us. There's plenty of room.

Mickey gestures to the Doctor.

THE DOCTOR: No chance, he's ah, a liability, I'm not having him on board.

ROSE: We'd be dead without him.

THE DOCTOR: My decision is final.

Rose turns back to Mickey.

ROSE: Sorry.

They kiss briefly. Mickey gives a small wave as she backs away.

MICKEY: Good luck, then.

JACKIE (rounding on the Doctor): You still can't promise me. What if she gets lost? What if something happens to you, Doctor, and she's left all alone standing on some moon a million light years away - how long do I wait then?

The Doctor stands there hugging Rose's backpack, not really having an answer, but Rose comes to his rescue.

ROSE: Mum...

Jackie spins around to face Rose.

ROSE (CONT'D): You're forgetting, it's a time machine. I could go travelling around suns and planets and all the way out to the edge of the universe and by the time I get back, yeah, ten seconds would have passed. Just ten seconds. (Puts her hands on Jackie's shoulders, smiles kindly). So stop worrying. See you in ten seconds time. Hmm?

She hugs her. The Doctor steps into the TARDIS. Rose follows him. Mickey gives a small wave and Rose shuts the door, leaving Mickey and Jackie alone outside. The TARDIS dematerialises. Jackie keeps her eyes on her watch as they stand in silence, then...

JACKIE: Ten seconds.

She walks back to the flats. Mickey settles himself back on top of the dustbin with the newspaper.

END