2013-12-25 - Time of the Doctor

Doctor Who Special Episode transcripts. This collection spans from November 25, 1983 to present.*

Moderator: Kitty Midnight

The further adventures of the renegade Time Lord, Doctor Who and his companions, from cross-overs to Christmas Specials. 2016-12-25 - "The Return of Doctor Mysterio"

Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise  Collectibles

Classic Who   NuWho  

2013-12-25 - Time of the Doctor

Post by bunniefuu »

[ SPACE]

A tone resonates as we watch a planet from above. We hear a woman, TASHA LEM, give an introductory narration. A myriad of ships from different cultures gather and wait above the planet.

Tasha: 'Once, there was a planet, much like any other... and unimportant. This planet sent the universe a message. A bell tolling among the stars, ringing out to all the dark corners of creation. And EVERYBODY came to see. Although no-one understood the message, everyone who heard it found themselves afraid. Except one man. The man who stayed for Christmas.'

[ INT. SHIP]

The DOCTOR teleports into what appears to be a large central room. There is only light in the center, the sides shrouded in darkness. He brandishes the weapons arm of a Dalek.

The Doctor: I bring proof of courage and comradeship. What is this ship and why are you here? (lowers hood of cloak) Identify yourselves by species and planet of origin.

Blue lights appear in the shadows and there is a low beeping. A parade of Daleks streams out into the open area.

Dalek: Exterminate! Exterminate!

The Doctor: (into ear bug) Handles?

Dalek: Exterminate! Exterminate!

The Daleks fire at the DOCTOR and he ducks.

The Doctor: Agh!

Dalek: Exterminate!

The Doctor: Handles? Agh! Handles? (teleports out)

Dalek: Exterminate!

[ INT. TARDIS]

The DOCTOR reappears in the console room and flings off the cloak as he walks up the steps to the console.

The Doctor: Every ship I go on, they just sh**t at me. (rants at the head of a Cyberman attached to the console) Handles, I said, "Put me on a ship." I didn't say, "Put me on a Dalek ship." Don't put me on a Dalek ship, when I'm holding a broken bit of Dalek! (smacks HANDLES with the Dalek arm but it bounces back and hits him in the head) Ow! (pulls HANDLES off his perch and carries him under his arm)

Handles: You did not indicate a preference.

The Doctor: Use your head! (looks at monitor) It's not like you've got a lot of alternatives. They're all here - Daleks, Sontarans, Terileptils, Slitheen. And they're not even fighting, they're just parked. Why?

Handles: The message was received throughout the universe.

The Doctor: (paces) Yes, yes, the message, the message. Even I can't translate it. I mean, why is everyone here if they don't understand it?

Handles: You're here.

The Doctor: Well, you know, I'm OCD. What's their excuse? What does this message mean?

The phone rings.

The Doctor: Oh, no. (puts HANDLES back) And remind me I've got to patch the telephone back through the console unit. (heads for the door) This is getting ridiculous.

Handles: Attention! Information available.

The DOCTOR pauses at the door and hurries back.

The Doctor: OK?

Handles: You must patch the telephone device back through the console unit.

The Doctor: No, no. No, no, no, no. No, not now! Remind me later. (turns back)

Handles: When?

The Doctor: I don't know, just later, just pick a time.

The Doctor: I don't know, just any old time. When you think I've forgotten.

The Doctor: Just pick a random number, express that number as a quantity of minutes, and when that time has elapsed, remind me to patch the telephone back through the console unit.

Handles: Affirmative.

The Doctor: (walks to the door) How those Cyber-evenings must fly! (reaches outside and grabs the phone, bringing it inside) Hello. The TARDIS.

[ INT. CLARA'S FLAT, KITCHEN, DAY]

CLARA is in the kitchen, hurrying in the kitchen. She is wearing a green paper crown.

Clara: Emergency. You're my boyfriend.

The Doctor: Ding-dong! OK, brilliant. I'm may be a bit...rusty in some areas, but I will glance at a manual.

Clara: (checks turkey) No, no, you're not actually my boyfriend.

The Doctor: Oh, that was quick. It's a roller coaster this phone call. (picks up HANDLES)

Clara: But I need a boyfriend really quickly.

The Doctor: Well, I hope you're nicer to the next one. (presses buttons near the monitor)

[ INT. CLARA'S FLAT, LIVING ROOM, DAY]

CLARA rushes in and sets out napkins.

Clara: No, shut up. Christmas dinner, me cooking.

[ INT. TARDIS]

The Doctor: So?

Clara: So, I may have... accidentally invented a boyfriend.

The Doctor: Yeah, I did that once and there's no easy way to get rid of an android.

Clara: No, not an android, a pretend one, an imaginary one. And I said he'd be coming to Christmas dinner.

The Doctor: (distracted) Yeah. Handles, that's a new ship. OK, we'll take the TARDIS this time.

Clara: (slides down against the counter in a corner) Come for Christmas dinner. Just do that for me. Come to Christmas dinner and be my Christmas date.

The DOCTOR drops the phone as CLARA finishes talking. He grabs it.

The Doctor: Sorry, missed that last bit. Got to dash! (ends call)

[ INT. SHIP]

The DOCTOR sticks HANDLES outside the TARDIS door as a lookout. When nothing happens, he steps out of the TARDIS. He walks down a corridor and, as a door slides open, he greets the inhabitants.

The Doctor: OK, don't be alarmed, I come in...

The DOCTOR stops when he sees Cybermen in stasis(?) chambers. The DOCTOR comically turns his head to HANDLES' and then back to the CYBERMEN.

Cybermen: Alert! Alert!

The Doctor: …peace! No.

The DOCTOR backs away and uses the sonic screwdriver on the door as the CYBERMEN step free of their chambers.

Cybermen: Intruder detected. The intruder will be upgraded.

The DOCTOR holds up HANDLES to block the sh*ts fired at him.

The Doctor: Agh! Sorry.

The DOCTOR runs back into the TARDIS as the CYBERMEN continue to fire. The phone rings. The DOCTOR quickly reaches out, grabs the phone and brings it inside.

CLARA sets out the Christmas crackers.

Clara: I need you. I'm cooking Christmas dinner!

[ INT. TARDIS]

The Doctor: I'm being sh*t at by Cybermen!

Clara: Well, can't we do both?

The Doctor: Arghh! Yeah, why not?!

Matt Smith
Jenna Coleman

DOCTOR WHO
"The Time of the Doctor"
Original air date: 25th December 2013

By
Steven Moffat

PRODUCER
Marcus Wilson

DIRECTOR
Jamie Payne

CLARA has her GRAN, DAD and step-mother LINDA in for dinner and they are sitting around the small table watching "Strictly Come Dancing".

Tv: 'Happy Christmas!'

Linda: How's the turkey doing?

Clara: Great, yeah, yeah, it's doing great. Well, dead and decapitated, but that's Christmas when you're a turkey.

Gran: (holds up wineglass) Actually, maybe I will have a little more.

Clara: There you go, Gran. (pours wine)

Dad: Did you put it in early enough?

Clara: Dad, I put it in when you phoned me.

Dad: I e-mailed you some instructions.

Clara: Oh, you certainly did.

[ EXT. BLOCK, DAY]

The TARDIS materializes on the green.

CLARA peers out the window and sees the TARDIS.

[ EXT. BLOCK, DAY]

CLARA hurries down the stairs and runs across to the TARDIS, losing her paper crown to the wind.

Clara: Whoops!

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA strides into the TARDIS.

Clara: Doctor, I so need you... (stops short, shocked)

The Doctor: Clara!

The DOCTOR holds up his arms to greet her. He is naked.

Clara: No, stop, stop, don't move, don't do anything! (turns her back)

The Doctor: Why, what is it? What's wrong?

Clara: You're naked.

The Doctor: Yes, I am naked. I wondered if you'd notice.

Clara: Doctor, why are you naked?

The Doctor: Because I'm going to church.

The DOCTOR walks over to one of the panels on the console and there is a whooshing sound. He turns around and has his regular clothes on.

The Doctor: Better?

Clara: (turns around) Oh, that was quick.

The Doctor: Hologram clothes, projected directly onto your visual cortex.

Clara: Still naked underneath?

The Doctor: Everybody's naked underneath.

Clara: Eugh, don't say things like that, it's Christmas. Come and meet my family.

CLARA walks into the room ahead of the DOCTOR and introduces him.

Clara: Hello, so, er, here he is!

The Doctor: Hello, the Oswalds. Hello! (shakes their hands) Merry Christmas. Hello, hello! (kisses GRAN on both cheeks) Hello, handsome. Anyone for Twister?

The Oswalds stare at the DOCTOR.

Clara: So... this is the Doctor. My boyfriend. Isn't anyone going to say hello?

GRAN giggles as DAD and LINDA refuse to look at the DOCTOR.

Gran: (flirtatiously) Hello.

The Doctor: Excuse me a moment. (whispers to CLARA) Listen, I've got an idea to break the ice. Why don't I project my clothes hologram onto their visual cortexes too?

Clara: (whispers) So, to be clear, no-one except me can see your clothes?

The Doctor: Yes, and I'm starting to think it may be causing tension.

Gran: Are we playing Twister now?

Clara: (smiles at GRAN before hissing at the DOCTOR) Get in the kitchen!

The Doctor: Eh? Sorry.

CLARA pushes the DOCTOR from the room before popping back in.

Clara: Sorry... he's Swedish. (leaves)

CLARA closes the kitchen door as the DOCTOR opens the oven.

Clara: Doctor, please!

The Doctor: Oh, that's never going to work, is it?

Clara: (walks over) What's wrong? Do you not think it's done yet?

The Doctor: I think a decent vet would give it an even chance.

Clara: OK. Well, use an app.

The Doctor: An app?

Clara: On your screwdriver - app it.

The Doctor: Most certainly not, it doesn't do turkey. Nothing does turkey. You'd need a time machine.

CLARA just looks at him.

The Doctor: What?

[ INT. TARDIS]

The DOCTOR enters the TARDIS followed by CLARA carrying the turkey.

The Doctor: You can't keep using the TARDIS like this.

Clara: Like what?

The Doctor: Missed birthdays, restaurant bookings. And please just learn how to use iPlayer.

They walk down to the section underneath the console.

Clara: Ooh, vortex cooking?

The Doctor: Yep, exposure to the time winds. (opens one of the panels and CLARA sets the pan inside) It'll either come up a treat, or just possibly lay some eggs. (closes panel)

Handles: Information available.

Clara: What's that?

The Doctor: Oh, just a bit of a Cyberman. He'll get us to the church on time.

They walk back up to the console.

Handles: I have developed a fault.

The Doctor: The organics are all gone, but there's still a full set of data banks. Found it at the Maldovar market. (sets the TARDIS in motion)

[ SPACE]

The TARDIS materializes in space above the planet with all the other ships.

[ INT. TARDIS]

Handles: Planet identified, from analysis of message.

The Doctor: Right cool, go on, then. OK, tell us, what is the planet? Go on.

Handles: Processing official designation. Processing.

The Doctor: OK, in your own time, dear. Don't rush!

Clara: So, why haven't you just gone down there and had a look?

The Doctor: It's shielded. Even the TARDIS can't break through it.

Handles: Gallifrey.

The Doctor: (turns and looks at HANDLES) What did you say? (slowly walks over)

Handles: Gallifrey.

The Doctor: What are you talking about? Gallifrey? What do you mean?

Handles: Confirmed. Planet designation - Gallifrey.

The DOCTOR yanks HANDLES from his "stand" and brings him over to the monitor.

The Doctor: You see THAT? Gallifrey is my home, I know it when I see it. THAT is not Gallifrey!! (slams HANDLES onto the console before stalking towards the door)

Clara: (follows) Doctor, are you OK?

The Doctor: It's not Gallifrey. Gallifrey's gone. (opens door)

[ SPACE]

Clara: Unless... unless you saved it. You thought you might have.

They look down onto the planet.

The Doctor: Even if it survived, it's gone from this universe. That is not my home! (slams the door)

[ INT. TARDIS]

The DOCTOR strides back to the console.

The Doctor: It can't be.

There is a reverberating sound blast, sounding similar to a very large cruise ship.

Clara: What's that?

The DOCTOR walks back to the door and opens it.

[ SPACE]

A large, many-storied ship comes alongside the TARDIS.

The Doctor: Papal Mainframe. It's like a great, big flying church. The first ship to arrive. They are the ones who shielded the planet. They can get us down there.

A hologram of a woman is projected against the ship. The DOCTOR bows deeply.

Clara: A friend of yours?

The Doctor: Tasha Lem, the Mother Superious.

TASHA crooks her index finger.

The Doctor: Oh, she's inviting us aboard.

Clara: Why?

The Doctor: Because I asked her. Swallow this. (hands CLARA a pill)

Clara: (takes pill and chews it) What is it?

The Doctor: Your hologram projector. You can't go to church with your clothes on! (blows a kiss to TASHA)

The TARDIS moves towards the Mainframe's ship.

[ INT. PAPAL MAINFRAME, AUDIENCE CHAMBER]

A long walkway bearing a red carpet is suspended over a deep chamber. Members of the church line the walk as the DOCTOR and CLARA make their way forward. CLARA is hunched over, self-conscious. TASHA LEM stands on the dais awaiting them. At her side is COLONEL ALBERO.

Clara: (whispers) I don't feel like I'm wearing anything.

The Doctor: (whispers) I know, relaxing isn't it?

Clara: (whispers) What is this place?

The Doctor: (whispers) The Church of the Papal Mainframe - security hub of the known universe.

Clara: A security church?

The Doctor: Yep. Keeping you safe in this world and the next! I venerate the exaltation of the Mother Superious. (bows to TASHA)

CLARA drops a nervous curtsey.

Albero: Welcome to the Church of the Papal Mainframe. Your nudity is appreciated.

Tasha: Hey, babes.

The Doctor: Loving the frock!

Tasha: Is that a new body? Give us a twirl!

The Doctor: Tash, this old thing? (turns in a slow circle) Please, I've been rocking it for centuries.

Tasha: Nice though. Tight.

Clara: So, er, hello! Also here!

The Doctor: Clara, this is Tasha Lem, the Head of the Church of the Papal Mainframe. Tash, ho-ho-ho, this is my... my associate, Clara Oswald. Miss Clara Oswald.

Tasha: (to ALBERO) We'll go to my chapel. (to everyone) All honours in place, no sacrifices required.

[ INT. PAPAL MAINFRAME, CORRIDOR]

CLARA follows the DOCTOR and TASHA.

The Doctor: It was Tasha who shielded the planet. But you could sneak me down there, couldn't you, Tash?

They stop outside double doors.

Tasha: I would have conditions. I have confidential matters to discuss with the Doctor. Would you... excuse us?

The Doctor: Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of Clara. Well... quite a lot of it. Probably about half, maybe a smidge... under. Actually, Clara, would you mind waiting out here?

Clara: No worries! You two get yourselves a room.

TASHA opens the door to her chambers.

The Doctor: Yes, quite. No, stop it!

Clara: Boss of the psycho space nuns. So you!

The DOCTOR smiles and enters TASHA'S room.

The Doctor: Well...

The doors close behind him. CLARA turns around and saunters the hall. She gasps and stops as a SILENT approaches her.

Clara: Doctor?

[ INT. PAPAL MAINFRAME, TASHA'S CHAMBERS]

In the center of the room is a bed-shaped altar/altar-shaped bed. TASHA is preparing them drinks.

The Doctor: That altar looks like a bed.

Tasha: That bed looks like an altar.

The Doctor: (presses on the mattress) Yep.

The DOCTOR sits on the furniture as TASHA comes over with the drinks. She hands a glass to the DOCTOR and he takes a sip. He spits it back into the glass and sets it down.

Tasha: Excuse me. (reaches over and presses a button and the message plays) That message... is transmitting through all of space and time. What did it make you feel? (sits on the bed next to him)

The Doctor: (stands) Feel?

Tasha: Every sentient being in the universe who detected that signal felt something. Something overpowering.

Tasha: Fear. Pure, unadulterated dread.

The SILENT walks behind a divider, out of CLARA'S line-of-sight. She continues to walk on as if nothing happened. The SILENT reappears.

Clara: I saw you and then I forgot you. How does that work?

The SILENT goes behind another divider and CLARA scratches her head.

The Doctor: Right, what's the signal, where's it coming from? (walks away from TASHA)

Tasha: (stands) It's a settlement. Human colony, level 2. A farm, basically. (sets down drink)

The Doctor: (walks around to the opposite side of the bed) Right. Anyone been for a look?

Tasha: Any one ship lands, the rest will follow, there will be bloodshed. Fortunately we got here first, shielded the planet. We maintain the truce, by blocking all of them.

They lean over the bed from either side.

The Doctor: Daleks, Cybermen - one of that lot - could break through your defences.

Tasha: Perhaps. But they're afraid, remember? Nobody wants to go first.

The Doctor: I do.

Tasha: I was counting on it.

The SILENT advances on CLARA.

Silent: Confess... Confess...

CLARA turns around and sees a group of them and gasps. She backs away towards the door of TASHA'S chambers.

Clara: What are you? Why do I keep forgetting you?

Silent: Confess. Confess.

Clara: Wha...

CLARA runs from them and into TASHA'S rooms.

TASHA and the DOCTOR look up at CLARA'S entrance.

The Doctor: Are you OK?

Clara: Fine. Yeah, fine. Sorry.

Tasha: (walks over to what looks like a confessional) Right, this is my personal teleport. I can put you down just outside the town. Find the source of the message and report back to me in one hour. (the DOCTOR enters one of the cubicles) And on your life, Doctor, you will cause no trouble down there.

The Doctor: When do I? (closes curtain then opens it) Don't answer that. (closes curtain again)

TASHA walks over, opens the curtain and holds her hand out.

Tasha: I'm not an idiot. Everyone in this church is trained to see straight through holograms.

Clara: (sits on the bed) Ah, great.

Tasha: Give now. You are taking no technology of any kind down there.

The Doctor: What can I do with a key? (to CLARA) You... in... now. (closes curtain)

CLARA goes to the other booth.

Tasha: (opens curtain) You could summon your TARDIS.

The Doctor: The TARDIS doesn't work by remote. (closes curtain and opens it again) Fine, if it makes you feel any better, there we are. (removes key from around his neck and hands it to TASHA)

TASHA nods and walks over to the controls.

Tasha: Remember. I want you back in one hour.

[ EXT. SNOWY WOODS, PLANET, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR and CLARA arrive on the planet in a flash of light. CLARA immediately feels the cold.

Clara: Oh, cold, very cold.

The Doctor: (rubs CLARA'S arms vigorously) OK, don't worry. There's a heat loss filter in your hologram shell, it'll kick in, just give it a moment. (hugs her) So, sweet little town covered in snow, half the universe in terror. Why? Why?

The DOCTOR turns one way as CLARA looks the other. She sees an arm sticking out of the snow.

Clara: Oh, my God!

Clara: (walks towards the arm) There's something under the snow, it's...

The Doctor: What is it?

Clara: (reaches out and touches it) It's cold.

The Doctor: OK, just stand back, please, Clara.

Clara: (laughs and stands) It's stone. It's just stone. It's only a statue. (turns and looks at the DOCTOR)

The Doctor: Clara, step away from it!

CLARA gasps as the hand grasps her around the ankle.

The Doctor: Clara, keep looking at it, don't look away! (comes over and grips CLARA tightly) Don't even... blink!

Clara: What is it?

The Doctor: There is a Weeping Angel under the snow. Looks like a statue - isn't a statue. Can you get your foot out?

Clara: (wiggles foot) Only if I get it out of my shoe.

The Doctor: You're not wearing one.

Clara: Good point.

The Doctor: OK, just pull, hard!

Clara: (grunts with effort) I'm trying.

The Doctor: Oh... One, two, three! Yeah!

They successfully free CLARA'S foot but tumble down a slope in the process. They land in a small clearing surrounded by Weeping Angels. As they look around, the Angels begin to move.

Clara: They're climbing out of the snow. Oh, God!

The Doctor: Keep looking at them. At all of them.

The Doctor: Quantum-locked life-form - it can only move if it's unobserved.

Clara: What are they doing here?

The Doctor: Same as everybody else - must've got past Tasha's shield. Keep looking!

The DOCTOR and CLARA stand back-to-back and keep circling.

Clara: I can't. I can't see - the snow's in my eyes.

The Doctor: I just need to bring the TARDIS down.

Clara: You can't fly it remotely.

The Doctor: No, but it can home in on the key. (reaches around to the back of his head)

Clara: But she took your key!

The Doctor: She took one of them!

The DOCTOR unzips a secret pocket and pulls out his key – tearing off a wig to reveal his shaved head. CLARA gasps and covers her mouth with her hand while she points at the DOCTOR with the other. The TARDIS key glows.

[ INT. TARDIS]

Handles: Engines activating.

The TARDIS materializes around the DOCTOR and CLARA.

The Doctor: The old key in the quiff routine. Classic! (sets the wig on top of HANDLES and works the controls) OK, homing in on the mysterious message. Ooh, yes, I like that - the mysterious message.

Clara: You've shaved your head?

The Doctor: Yep. Clever plan to get us past the shield.

Clara: You got bored one night, didn't you?

The Doctor: Yeah, tiny bit bored.

Clara: Is that what happened to your eyebrows?

The Doctor: No, they're just delicate. Right, setting us down, near the signal source. I'm going to turn the engines on silent, don't want to make a fuss.

Clara: (pulls the wig off HANDLES and throws it at the DOCTOR) Put it back on.

The Doctor: Why?

Clara: Your ears are like rocket fins.

The Doctor: I know!

[ EXT. TOWN, STREET, NIGHT]

The TARDIS materializes in the street and the DOCTOR and CLARA step outside. There are lit trees lining the road as well as braziers with lit fires.

Clara: Oh, it's good to be wearing clothes again. That's so much better, don't you think?

The Doctor: (scans with sonic) Now, what do we make of this place? It's two o'clock in the afternoon, must be very short days here. The message is coming from that tower. (points towards clock tower) (sees another couple walking the street) Hello! Hello, there! (to CLARA) Right, we're a couple from the next town. My name's probably Hank or Rock, something like that.

Clara: Or Daisy?

The Doctor: Shut up. (to couple) Hello, good to meet you, nice snow.

Man: Most pleasant to meet you too. (shakes the DOCTOR'S hand)

Woman: Most pleasant. Most pleasant.

The Doctor: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. I stole a time machine and ran away and I've been flouting the principal law of my own people ever since. That wasn't quite what I was meant to say!

Clara: I'm an English teacher from planet Earth, and I've run off with a man from space because I really fancy...

Woman: I think, perhaps, you should stop talking till you get used to it.

The Doctor: Used to what?

Woman: What did you say your name was?

Clara: Bubbly personality masking bossy control freak! (covers her mouth with her hand)

The Doctor: (points to his head) I'm wearing a wig! (covers his mouth) (muffled) No, ah, I see. (removes hand) Yes, of course. It's a truth field. Oh, that is so quaint. I haven't seen a truth field in years! I'm wearing a wig!

Man: No-one can lie in this town. Especially this close to the tower.

The couple continues to walk on.

The Doctor: Doesn't that make life a bit difficult?

They answer simultaneously.

Woman: Not at all.

Man: Yes.

The Doctor: This town, what's it called?

Man: It's Christmas.

The Doctor: It's July. (looks at watch)

Woman: No, the town. The town is Christmas, that's what it's called.

Man: Be happy here. Be well.

Clara: How can a town be called Christmas?

The Doctor: I don't know, how can an island be called Easter? Maybe it's just nice here. I almost hate to find out what's wrong.

They head for the church.

[ INT. CHURCH, BASEMENT, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR and CLARA look around the room and the DOCTOR sees something that grabs his attention.

The Doctor: There you are. What took you so long?

Clara: What's wrong? It's only a cr*ck in the wall.

It's not just any cr*ck, but the same cr*ck that had been in Amy's room.

The Doctor: I knew. I always knew it wasn't over. (takes off jacket and walks over to the wall)

Clara: What is it?

The Doctor: A split in the skin of reality.

[F]

[ INT. AMELIA POND'S ROOM, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR stands back from the wall containing the cr*ck and uses the sonic screwdriver on it.

[ INT. BYZANTIUM, SECONDARY FLIGHT DECK]

The DOCTOR uses the sonic on the cr*ck.

[ INT. HOTEL]

The DOCTOR opens the door to Room 11 to reveal the cr*ck as his greatest fear.

The Doctor: A tiny sliver of the 26th of June, 2010. The day the universe blew up.

Clara: Missed that!

The Doctor: I rebooted it, put it all back together.

Clara: That's good.

The Doctor: (walks towards the center of the room) It was my TARDIS that blew it up in the first place. I felt a degree of responsibility. But the scar tissue remains. (walks back to the wall) A structural weakness in the whole universe. Whoa! (steps back as if shocked) And someone's trying to get through it, from outside our universe, from somewhere else. (presses ear against wall) Of course, of course. It makes sense.

Clara: It does?

The Doctor: Yes. If you tried to break through a wall, you'd choose the weakest spot. To break into this universe, you'd choose this cr*ck, because... No. If you were trying to break back into this universe. You said Gallifrey. (goes over to HANDLES and picks him up) Why did you say Gallifrey?

Handles: Analysis of message composition indicates Gallifreyan origin, according to TARDIS data banks.

Clara: You said Gallifrey was gone.

The Doctor: No. I said it was in another universe. The message is coming through here. The truth field is too, at a guess. If it's the Time Lords... If it's the Time Lords... (presses hands against the wall)

The tone begins to resonate again. The DOCTOR turns and looks at CLARA.

The Doctor: (takes item from pocket) Seal of the High Council of Gallifrey, nicked it off the Master in the Death Zone. (sticks it on HANDLES) There is an algorithm imprinted in the atomic structure. Use it to decode the message.

Handles: Message decoding. Message analysis proceeding. Information available. The message is a request for information.

The Doctor: It's a question. Why can't you just say it's a question?!

Handles: It is being projected through all of time and space on a repeating cycle.

The Doctor: The oldest question in the universe, hidden in plain sight...

Handles: Warning – translation will be available to all life-forms in range. Translation follows. Doctor who... Doctor who... Doctor who... Doctor who... Doctor who...

[ SPACE]

Handles: (V.O.) Doctor who...

[ INT. DALEK SHIP]

[ INT. CYBER SHIP]

TASHA walks onto the dais.

Handles: (V.O.) Doctor who... Doctor who...

Tasha: Patch me through to the Doctor. Now!

The DOCTOR leans against the wall.

The Doctor: A question only I could answer. A truth field to make sure I'm not lying. If I give my name, they'll know they've found the right place... and that it's safe to come through.

Clara: The Time Lords? OK, so what then? If you answer the question, and they come back, what happens?

The Doctor: Ah, you need to take this to the TARDIS and put it in the charger slot for the sonic. (presses a cylinder into her hands)

The Doctor: Hell. All hell, that's what happens if the Time Lords come back. There's half a universe up there already, waiting to open fire. Now, please, go to the TARDIS, and just do as I say!

CLARA runs from the room.

Tasha: (V.O.) Doctor, speak with me.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

A projection of TASHA appears in the sky above the church.

The DOCTOR puts his jacket back on and walks determinedly from the room.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

CLARA runs towards the TARDIS but pauses when she sees TASHA. The inhabitants of the town gather to watch.

Tasha: Doctor! Face me now!

CLARA runs to the TARDIS.

[ EXT. CHURCH, BELFREY, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR reaches the top of the belfry and looks out at TASHA.

Tasha: Doctor!

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA enters the TARDIS and puts the cylinder into the spot indicated by the DOCTOR.

The DOCTOR reaches the top of the belfry and looks out at TASHA.

The Doctor: Mother Superious, there is only one thing I need from you - this planet... what's it called?

Tasha: Trenzalore.

The DOCTOR is shocked to learn where he is.

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA steps back from the console.

Clara: OK, is that it? Are you doing a clever thing?

Tasha: If you speak your name, the Time Lords will return.

The Doctor: If they return, they will come in peace.

Tasha: It doesn't matter. They will be met with a w*r that will never end. The Time w*r will begin anew! You know that, Doctor!

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA leans against the console. There is a metallic thrumming.

Clara: Done.

CLARA runs to the door, opens it and rushes outside.

[ EXT. BLOCK, DAY]

CLARA comes to a stop when she realizes where she is. She turns back to the TARDIS as she hears it begin to dematerialize.

Clara: No, don't you dare. No, no!

She runs back and tries to make the key work and unlock the door.

[ EXT. CHURCH, BELFRY, NIGHT]

The Doctor: They're asking for my help!

Tasha: And if you give it, w*r will be the consequence. I will not that let that happen at any cost. Speak your name and this world will burn!

The Doctor: No, this planet is protected.

The DOCTOR uses his sonic on the bell and it begins to toll. He heads back downstairs.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR stands on the steps of the church and the people gather to learn why the bells are tolling.

The Doctor: So, you lot, a quick word, thank you. Spot of news, Christmas has a new sheriff. Hello, everyone, I'm the Doctor.

TASHA walks onto the dais.

Tasha: Attention. Attention all Chapels and Choirs of the Papal Mainframe. The siege of Trenzalore is now begun. There will now be an unscheduled faith change. From this moment on, I dedicate this church to one cause. Silence. The Doctor will not speak his name, and w*r will not begin. Silence... will fall!

All: Silence will fall. Silence will fall.

[ SPACE]

Tasha: (V.O.) In the time that followed, the Papal Mainframe strove to maintain the peace between the Doctor and his enemies.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The townspeople go about their business unaware of aliens in their midst. Tracks are made in the snow by an invisible vehicle.

Sontaran: We remain undetectable to the Papal Mainframe.

Elsewhere, the DOCTOR activates the sonic screwdriver. An alarm begins to sound.

Sontaran: Commander Skarr! That's the detection warning. Our invisibility cloak is compromised.

Skarr: What's wrong with it?

Sontaran: I don't know, I can't see it.

Skarr: Well, it looks invisible to me.

There is a thud and the Sontarans look worried. Their vehicle explodes.

Voice: The Church of the Papal Mainframe apologises for your death. The relevant afterlives have been notified.

TASHA narrates as the DOCTOR saves the town from various att*cks.

Tasha: (V.O.) As the days passed, and the years, the Doctor stayed true to his word. On the fields of Trenzalore, he stood as protector, both of his own people and his new home. Over time, the Doctor's enemies would find new, stranger ways to enter the town called Christmas.

A group of children are playing Blind Man's Bluff. The BOY who is It, calls out for the others.

Boy: Are you there? Hello? Am I getting warm?

There is a beeping and a small yellow light appears in the darkness. The BOY removes his blindfold. Standing in front of him is a wooden Cyberman.

Boy: There's another one! (runs into town)

The Cyberman follows, sh**ting fire from its arm. It burns one of the trees. The BOY runs up a set of stairs and rings a bell.

Boy: There's another one! There's another one! There's another one! (runs up church steps) Doctor! Doctor! There's another one.

The townsfolk run from the Cyberman.

Cyberman: Incinerate!

A man emerges from a building using a cane. The camera pans up and we see it is the DOCTOR. His hair is greying and he has wrinkles. In his other hand he has a thin wooden cylinder.

Cyberman: The Doctor is required.

The DOCTOR ignores the CYBERMAN.

The Doctor: (tosses cane to a boy) There you go. (tests toy) There you go, Barnable. (tosses it to BOY)

Barnable: Thanks.

The Doctor: Working fine, nice action. Don't leave it out in the rain again. (pulls a wooden train from jacket pocket and tosses it to another child) Fixed the wheels and the anti-gravs. (boy tosses cane back)

Girl: The anti-whats?

The Doctor: May have gone a bit far. (walks down steps) Now then, what do we have today? Don't you move one step further. Wooden Cyberman. Nice, like it. Low-tech, doesn't set off the alarms upstairs.(walks over to face it)

The CYBERMAN raises his arm part way. The DOCTOR'S hand waits at hip height. The CYBERMAN raises his arm and the DOCTOR pulls out his sonic and uses it on the CYBERMAN.

The Doctor: (chuckles) Only bit of tech allowed in - got in before the truce. Now, I just sent an instruction to your firearm, to reverse the polarity and fire out the back end. As we're standing in a truth field, you will understand I cannot be lying. If you like, you can scan my screwdriver, verify that's the signal I sent.

Cyberman: Signal verified.

The CYBERMAN reverses the g*n on his arm and fires believing it will k*ll the DOCTOR. It sh**t itself.

The Doctor: Yes, I probably should have mentioned - this doesn't work on wood! You send your friends up there a message from the Doctor. You tell them the Doctor stays.

The DOCTOR knocks it over with his cane and it falls with a thud.

The Doctor: Next.

Tasha: (V.O.) With every victory, the town celebrated.

There is a street party with tables of food, dancing, fireworks and a puppet show depicting one of the DOCTOR'S victories.

The Doctor: And there's me arm-wrestling a Draconian, I remember that.

Children hold up the pictures they've drawn for him. Others want his autograph.

Tasha: (V.O.) In, time, the Doctor seemed to forget he'd lived any other life...

PUPPET-DOCTOR holds up his sonic at a monster.

PUPPET DOCTOR: Christmas is defended.

The DOCTOR hangs up pictures by the children. The wall is covered with them.

Tasha: (V.O.) ..and the people of the town came to love the man who stayed for Christmas.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

At one of the celebrations, the DOCTOR teaches the children to dance.

The Doctor: You've got to BE the drunk giraffe, you've got to commit! Don't be cool, guys. Cool is NOT cool.

Children: Cool is not cool!

The Doctor: And what's the dance we're doing?

Children: The drunk giraffe!

The Doctor: The drunk giraffe! Yeah, it is! Merry Christmas. Give me a hug, bring it in.

The children come in and hug the DOCTOR.

Children: Yeah!

LATER

The DOCTOR walks over to BARNABLE.

The Doctor: How's your father's barn?

Barnable: You've fixed the leak all right, but he say it's bigger on the inside now!

The Doctor: (bends over with a finger to his lips) Ssh! They'll all want one!

The DOCTOR hears a familiar sound and straightens slowly.

Barnable: What is it? What's that noise?

The TARDIS starts to materialize.

The Doctor: Well! Where have you been for 300 years?! Huh! (walks towards the TARDIS)

Barnable: What's that?

The Doctor: (stops) It's my ship.

Barnable: Your what?

The Doctor: It's my TARDIS. That's how I got here in the first place.

Barnable: Does this mean you're leaving?

The DOCTOR doesn't answer and continues on to the TARDIS. He pauses before continuing on. CLARA is clinging to the outside, frozen in place. The DOCTOR walks up slowly and jabs CLARA in the back with his cane. She jerks with a gasp.

The Doctor: What are you doing here?

Clara: (looks at the DOCTOR) I... I was in space.

The Doctor: Well, you were in the time vortex. She must have extended the force field. No wonder... (pries CLARA loose) No wonder she's late, dragging you around.

They walk away from the TARDIS. CLARA stops and turns to face him.

Clara: You tricked me.

The Doctor: I saved you.

Clara: You didn't even say goodbye.

The Doctor: I'm FURIOUS with you!

Clara: Well, I am not even talking to YOU!

They laugh and hug.

The Doctor: Oh...

CLARA is wrapped in a blanket and walks around admiring the pictures on the walls. HANDLES is propped on a desk covered with gadgets and toys.

Clara: Oh, Doctor, fixing toys and fighting monsters.

The Doctor: (enters) The turkey isn't done yet.

Clara: (looks at the cr*ck) Is it still asking the question?

The Doctor: Oh, never stops. Come upstairs, it's almost time. (picks up HANDLES)

Clara: What for?

The Doctor: Dawn. The light here lasts only a few minutes, you don't want to miss it.

[ EXT. CHURCH, BELFREY, MORNING]

The DOCTOR and CLARA sit across from each other, a small fire burning between them.

The Doctor: Well, it's a standoff. They can't att*ck in case I unleash the Time Lords. And I can't run away, because they'll burn this planet to stop the Time Lords. (licks handkerchief and wipes HANDLES) Hey, after all these years, I've finally found somewhere that needs me to stick around. A town called Christmas! Could've been worse. Right, there you go, buddy. (adjusts HANDLES) Comfy?

Handles: Comfort is irrelevant.

The Doctor: (readjusts) How's that, is that better?

Handles: Affirmative.

The Doctor: You just take it easy, buddy. (pats HANDLES) He's getting old. I do my best for him, but... I just can't get the parts, you know. Hey, I know the feeling.

Clara: (toasting marshmallow) Where do you get these?

The Doctor: I have a supplier. The pinks ones are best. (takes a bite of marshmallow)

Handles: I have developed a fault.

The Doctor: Hey, don't you worry, 'Andles, you're just dreaming. The sun's coming up very soon, you just hang on in there.

Handles: I have developed a... fault. I...I have developed a fault.

The Doctor: (picks up HANDLES) Hey, Handles. Come on. Come on. One more dawn, you can do it. You've got it in you. Come on, just hang on in there.

Handles: Attention! Emergency! Atten...

The Doctor: Handles, what is it, what's wrong?

Handles: Urgent action required! You must patch the telephone device back through the... console... unit. (light flickers and fades)

The Doctor: (shakes HANDLES) Come back. Handles? Handles... (sighs and bows his head) Thank you, Handles, and well done. Well done, mate. (sets HANDLES back down)

The sun rises and birds call. The DOCTOR and CLARA stand at the rail.

The Doctor: What do you think of my new place? I come up here once a day for a few minutes... remind myself of what it is I'm protecting.

Clara: It's beautiful. Why did you send me away?

The Doctor: Because if I hadn't, I'd have buried you a long time ago.

Clara: No, you wouldn't. I would never have let you get stuck here.

The Doctor: Ha! Everyone gets stuck somewhere, eventually, Clara. Everything ends.

Clara: Except you.

The Doctor: Have you been paying attention? I'm an old man now.

Clara: But you don't die. You change. You pop right back up with a new face.

The Doctor: No, not forever. I can change 12 times. 13 versions of me. 13 silly Doctors.

Clara: OK, so you're number 11, so...

The Doctor: Are we forgetting Captain Grumpy, eh? I didn't call myself the Doctor during the Time w*r, but it was still a regeneration.

Clara: OK, so you're number 12.

The Doctor: Number ten once regenerated and kept the same face - I had vanity issues at the time. 12 regenerations, Clara. I can't ever do it again. This is where I end up. This face - this version of me. We saw this planet in the future, remember? All those graves... one of them mine.

The sun sets.

Clara: Change the future.

The Doctor: I can't.

Clara: You've got your TARDIS back.

The Doctor: Ha! You think I'm just going to fly away, abandon everyone?

Clara: Of course not. But you've been protecting this town for over 300 years. Do you not think it's anybody else's go yet?

The Doctor: There is no-one else to protect it.

Clara: It won't be you forever. It'll end the same way, whatever you do.

The Doctor: Every life I save is a victory. Every single one.

Clara: What about your life? Just for once, after all of this time, have you not earned the right to think about that? Sorry. Wrong thing to say. We shouldn't be having an argument.

The Doctor: Clara, I've been having that argument for the last 300 years all by myself.

Clara: (whispers) But you didn't have your TARDIS.

The Doctor: Ah! Yes, well, that made it easier to stay. True.

Thunder rumbles.

Tasha: 'Doctor!'

The Doctor: Ah! Look who's woken up!

The DOCTOR and CLARA turn around to see TASHA projected in the sky as before.

Tasha: 'The Church of the Silence requests parlay. Your rights and safety are sanctified.'

The Doctor: I'll be right up.

Tasha: 'I'm sending a transporter.'

The Doctor: Nah, don't bother. I've got me motor back.

TASHA'S projection disappears.

Clara: It's gone dark.

The Doctor: Well, the sun's gone down.

Clara: Already?

The Doctor: Everything ends, Clara. And sooner than you think.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The DOCTOR and CLARA walk towards the TARDIS. The DOCTOR sees a small hand around the opposite side. He walks around to see BARNABLE sitting against it.

The Doctor: Hm! Are you guarding my TARDIS, Barnable?

Barnable: Are you coming back?

The Doctor: Oh, come on. You know me.

Barnable: I'll wait.

The DOCTOR smiles fondly.

The DOCTOR and CLARA approach TASHA.

Clara: (whispers) She hasn't aged much.

The Doctor: No, she's against ageing.

Tasha: Approach.

Silent: Confess.

Clara: What are those things?

Silent: Confess.

The Doctor: Confessional priests. Very popular. Genetically engineered so you forget everything you told them.

Clara: (looks at the DOCTOR) Told who?

The Doctor: There you go!

The DOCTOR and CLARA are sitting at a table and TASHA slides a large box towards him and opens it.

Tasha: Satisfactory?

The Doctor: Where are the pink ones?

Tasha: E-numbers. You're hyper enough as it is.

TASHA sits opposite the DOCTOR as he pulls out some marshmallows.

Clara: So this is sweet. Middle of a siege, and you two have little chats?

Tasha: She's right. This situation cannot continue.

The Doctor: It can't end either. (closes the box)

A group of church members stand guard over the TARDIS.

Dalek: Report!

A WOMAN solider raises her head and we see a Dalek eyestalk protruding from her forehead. All the soldiers flanking her have one as well.

Woman: The Time Lord has entered the trap.

Tasha: Why did you ever come to Trenzalore?

The Doctor: Well, I did come to Trenzalore, and nothing can change that now. (points his cane at TASHA) Didn't stop you trying, though, did it?

Tasha: Not me. The Kovarian Chapter broke away. They travelled back along your timeline and tried to prevent you ever reaching Trenzalore.

The Doctor: So that's who blew up my TARDIS. I thought I'd left the bath running.

Tasha: They blew up your time capsule, created the very cracks in the universe through which the Time Lords are now calling.

The Doctor: The destiny trap. You can't change history if you're part of it.

Tasha: They engineered a psychopath to k*ll you.

The Doctor: Totally married her. I'd never have made it here alive without River Song.

Tasha: I am not interested in changing history, Doctor. I want to change the future. The Daleks send for reinforcements daily, they are massing for w*r. (leans forward) Three days ago, they att*cked the Mainframe itself.

The Doctor: They att*cked here?

Clara: How did you stop them?

Tasha: Stop them? It was slaughter.

The Doctor: Why didn't you call me? I could have helped.

Tasha: I tried. I d*ed in this room, screaming your name.

The Doctor: (whispers) No.

Tasha: Oh... I d*ed.

CLARA inches closer to the DOCTOR.

Tasha: It's funny the things that slip your mind. (gasps and head falls to the table)

The Doctor: (stands by CLARA) No! No, no, no, Tasha, no, please, not Tasha, no. Fight it.

There is a cracking sound and TASHA raises her head.

The Doctor: Tash, fight it!

A Dalek eyestalk grows from TASHA'S forehead. Daleks burst through the door.

Dalek: Step away from the Dalek unit, Doctor!

The Doctor: You shouldn't even know who I am.

Dalek: Information concerning the Doctor was harvested from the cadaver of Tasha Lem.

TASHA slowly stands and faces CLARA.

The Doctor: Bet she never told you how to break the Trenzalore force field, though. She'd have d*ed first.

Dalek: Several times.

The Doctor: Well, you'd better k*ll me, then, go on. But before you do...

The DOCTOR uses the sonic and we hear the translated message.

The Doctor: I'm a tough old bird. I'll be ages dying. Way enough time to answer a question. And, oh dear, what happens then, boys?

TASHA walks up behind CLARA, hand outstretched.

Dalek: You will die in silence, Doctor, or your associate will die.

TASHA puts her hand on CLARA'S shoulder, sh**ting a current through her.

The Doctor: (looks at CLARA) Fine, go on. k*ll her. k*ll her! See if I care! But tell me, what you are going to do next?

Dalek: See how the Time Lord betrays.

Clara: You'll k*ll me anyway. What difference does it make? I'm not afraid. I'll leave that to you.

The Doctor: You see, Tasha, that's what I'm talking about! THAT is a WOMAN! (walks over to TASHA) I always knew you were a bit spineless, you and your pointless church! Why did I ever rely on you? Never trust a nun to do a Doctor's work.

TASHA releases CLARA and slaps the DOCTOR. She then uses the g*n in her hand to sh**t the Daleks.

The Doctor: And she's back! (kisses TASHA) You never could resist a row.

Tasha: Kiss me when I ask.

The Doctor: Well, you'd better ask nicely.

Tasha: In your dreams!

The Doctor: Right, get us back to the TARDIS. Can you do that? (turns to transporter)

Tasha: Yep, but quickly, the Dalek inside me is waking.

The Doctor: Fight it.

Tasha: I can't.

The Doctor: Listen to me. You have been fighting the psychopath inside you all your life. Shut up and win. That is an order, Tasha Lem.

CLARA enters the second booth.

Tasha: (works controls) The force field will hold for a while, but it will decay, and there are breaches already.

The Doctor: Then this isn't a siege any more, it's a w*r. It's all up to you now. Fight the Daleks, inside and out. You can do it, I know you can.

Tasha: Oh, I see. You've got your TARDIS back, haven't you? Time to fly away.

The Doctor: Tasha, please... Please. Thank you.

Tasha: None of this was for you, you fatuous egotist. It was for the peace. Fly away, Doctor!

[ INT. TARDIS]

The DOCTOR is at the controls as we hear a bell ding.

The Doctor: It's done.

Clara: What is?

The Doctor: Your turkey. Either or that or it's woken up.

Clara: (laughs) Do you want some?

The Doctor: Go on, then.

Clara: Got any plates?

The Doctor: Do you know, I've even got Christmas crackers!

CLARA pauses at the top of the steps and walks back to the DOCTOR.

Clara: One thing. Give me those big sad eyes, look at me so I know you're not lying, and tell me you will never send me away ever again.

The Doctor: Clara Oswald... I will never send you away... again.

CLARA kisses him on the cheek and runs down to the turkey. The DOCTOR turns on the monitor which shows Christmas.

Clara: Turkey smells good!

The Doctor: Yep, smells great.

CLARA opens up the compartment and puts on potholders, preparing to take out the turkey. Up at the console, the DOCTOR sees BARNABLE waiting.

Clara: Perfect.

The DOCTOR places the same device in the slot that CLARA used earlier. Below, CLARA strains as she lifts out the turkey.

Clara: Merry Christmas.

CLARA goes back up to the console area but the DOCTOR is gone.

CLARA walks to the door and steps outside.

[ EXT. BLOCK, DAY]

CLARA finds herself outside her apartment block. The TARDIS dematerializes behind her.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The TARDIS materializes in the street. The DOCTOR and BARNABLE watch.

Barnable: If you're not leaving, why did you bring it back?

The Doctor: It's a reminder. (pats BARNABLE on the head and walks away) Besides, I might leave tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the day after that.

BARNABLE watches as the DOCTOR walks away.

LATER

Cybermen transport down onto the planet's surface and begin f*ring on the people.

Tasha: (V.O.) And so, to the fields of Trenzalore came all the Time Lord's enemies. For this was the winter of the Doctor.

The Silence and the Militants of the Church fire against the Cybermen.

Tasha: (V.O.) In time, when all other races had retreated or b*rned, only the Church of the Mainframe remained in the path of the Daleks. And so those ancient enemies, the Doctor and the Silence, stood back-to-back on the fields of Trenzalore.

The DOCTOR walks down the street, twirling his cane, the Silence walking behind him.

CLARA sits with her family at the table. Her father tries to get her to smile with a toy penguin.

Toy: Merry Christmas, everyone. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Linda: Other fish in the sea, that's what I'm saying.

Dad: Linda, I don't think Clara wants to talk about it.

Linda: I've got a suggestion, that's all. I've got a list of suggestions.

Dad: Linda...

Linda: You could make a boy band out of my list!

Clara: I hate boy bands.

Linda: Of course you don't, not at your age.

Gran: (reads slip of paper) These crackers are rubbish.

Linda: I bought them.

Gran: I know.

Linda: They're classy.

Gran: They don't have jokes.

Linda: Exactly.

Gran: They've got poems.

Linda: They're more dramatic crackers.

Gran: I like the jokes.

Clara: Tell us a joke, Gran. You know loads of jokes.

Linda: I think we're probably talking about my list now.

Clara: Probably not.

Dad: Tell us how you met Dad. The thing about the pigeon.

Gran: I saw him on a pier on a rainy day.

Dad: Not that one! The one about the pigeon.

Gran: I'd seen him before, lots of times. But he just looked so beautiful standing there.

Dad: The pigeon in the restaurant? You remember?

Gran: I wanted everything to stop. I wanted nothing to change ever again. If he could just keep standing there, so beautiful... (fingers wedding ring) A long time ago.

CLARA, crying, hugs GRAN.

Gran: Don't hug me so tight, dear, you'll break something.

Linda: Oh, that's nice! Crying at Christmas.

Clara: Sorry.

Gran: I hope you made a wish.

CLARA hears the TARDIS, gets up and runs from the room.

Dad: Clara? What's wrong, Clara?

CLARA runs to the window and sees the TARDIS outside. She runs out.

CLARA stops in the doorway.

Clara: Everybody just stay put! (runs out)

[ INT. CLARA'S FLAT, HALL, DAY]

CLARA starts down the hall but turns back.

CLARA runs inside and grabs a cr*cker before leaving.

[ INT. CLARA'S FLAT, HALL, DAY]

CLARA runs through the halls.

[ EXT. BLOCK, DAY]

CLARA hurries down the stairs and runs across to the TARDIS.

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA runs into the TARDIS and stops short. TASHA is at the controls.

Clara: You can fly the TARDIS?

Tasha: Flying the TARDIS was always easy. It was flying the Doctor I never quite mastered.

Clara: What's happened to him?

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The TARDIS materializes in a street filled with burning rubble. CLARA and TASHA step out.

Clara: What am I supposed to do?

Tasha: He shouldn't die alone. Go to him. (leaves)

CLARA walks slowly amongst the running townsfolk and makes her way to the church and steps inside.

CLARA makes her way down the stairs. The walls are still covered with drawings, new covering old. There is a rasping sound and CLARA stops when she sees the DOCTOR'S elderly hands whittling a wooden toy.

The Doctor: Barnable?

Clara: Clara.

The DOCTOR drops the toy and turns around to look at CLARA. He appears to be in his 80s.

Clara: Hello, Doctor.

The Doctor: (removes glasses) Were you always so young?

Clara: Nah. That was you.

The DOCTOR holds out his hand and CLARA goes to him. She puts her hand in his and moves to stand in front of him.

The Doctor: Ah... (kisses her hand)

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

A group of Daleks trundle down the street.

Dalek: Seek the Doctor.

Clara: Merry Christmas.

The Doctor: Merry Christmas.

CLARA kneels in front of the DOCTOR and hands him one end of the cr*cker. He can't pull it.

Clara: Hey, it's OK. (wraps her other hand around his) It's fine, don't worry. (pulls open the cr*cker)

The Doctor: Ah! Is there a joke? Huh?

Clara: (reads) Extract from "Thoughts On A Clock" by Eric Ritchie Jr.

The Doctor: (settles back in his chair) Is it a knock-knock one? Those are best.

Clara: I don't think so. (rests her head on his leg)

The Doctor: Well, read it. Go on.

Clara: "And now it's time for one last bow Like all your other selves Eleven's hour is over now The clock is striking twelve's."

The Doctor: I don't get it.

Dalek: (O.C.) Doctor! The Doctor will be brought!

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

A Dalek ship appears in the sky above the bell tower.

Dalek: (O.C.) The Daleks demand the Doctor!

The DOCTOR and CLARA look up. A YOUTH comes running into the room.

Youth: They're here. The Daleks, we can't stop them. They want you.

The Doctor: Oh, all right, Barnable. Are you Barnable?

Youth: No, Doctor.

The Doctor: It's OK, Barnable, don't worry. I have got a plan. Off you pop.

The YOUTH looks nervously at CLARA before running off. Outside, rumbling can be heard.

The Doctor: I haven't got a plan, but people love it when I say that. (reaches for cane)

Clara: Doctor, what are you going to do?

The Doctor: (stands slowly) Oh, I don't know. Talk very fast, hope something good happens, take the credit. That's generally how it works. (heads for the stairs)

Clara: Doctor...

The Doctor: Not this time, though. (stops and looks at CLARA) This is it.

Clara: No!

The Doctor: Yes. We saw the future, Clara. This is how it ends.

Clara: Change it!

The Doctor: Huh! (walks away)

Clara: Like Tasha said, change the future!

The Doctor: I could have once. When there were Time Lords. Not anymore.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

Daleks pass the TARDIS.

Dalek: Locate the Doctor.

CLARA goes to follow the DOCTOR.

The Doctor: Now, you're going to stay here. Promise me you will.

The Doctor: I'll be keeping you safe. One last victory. Allow me that. Give me that... (hugs her) my impossible girl. Thank you. And goodbye. (kisses her, ends the hug and wipes a tear) The trouble with Daleks is, they take so long to say anything. Probably die of boredom before they sh**t me. (starts up the stairs)

CLARA sobs and stands over by the DOCTOR'S vacated chair.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

Dalek: (O.C.) The Doctor is required!

CLARA turns around, hand over her mouth and suddenly becomes determined. She walks over to the cr*ck in the wall.

Clara: Listen to me, you lot, listen! Help him. Help him change the future. Do it. Do something.

CLARA walks away to the other side of the room.

The DOCTOR slowly makes his way to the top.

Dalek: (O.C.) Doctor!

CLARA turns around, hand over her mouth and suddenly becomes determined. She walks over to the cr*ck in the wall.

Clara: You've been asking a question... and it's time someone told you you've been getting it wrong. (walks over to the cr*ck, kneels and whispers into it) His name... His name is the Doctor. All the name he needs. Everything you need to know about him. And if you love him... and you should... help him. Help him.

CLARA stands and walks away. As she does, there is a loud cracking sound and the cr*ck closes. CLARA turns around.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

CLARA exits the church and looks up. The townsfolk come and stand at the base of the church steps and looks up. CLARA runs down the steps to join them. Daleks move down the street.

The DOCTOR reaches the belfrey.

The Doctor: Sorry, I'm a bit slow. I may not be at my best right now.

Dalek: (O.C.) You are dying, Doctor.

The Doctor: (sits) Yes... I'm dying. You've been trying to k*ll me for centuries, and here I am, dying of old age. If you want something done, do it yourself.

Dalek: (O.C.) You will die, and the Time Lords will never return.

The Doctor: You still can't work up the courage to sh**t me, can you? (points cane angrily at Dalek ship) You're still worried I've got something up my sleeve. Well, you knock yourselves out, boys. I've got nothing this time.

Individual Daleks begin zooming around the sky, f*ring on the town. The DOCTOR sits, knowing he can't do anything. Suddenly, the cr*ck appears in the sky and golden regeneration energy flows from it into the DOCTOR. His eyes widen in surprise. He looks down at his hands to see them glow.

Dalek: (O.C.) You will die now, Doctor. This is the end of you.

The Daleks continue f*ring on the town.

Dalek: (O.C.) The rules of regeneration are known. You have expended all your lives.

The DOCTOR stands, rejuvenated.

The Doctor: Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen! Bit of advice. Tell me the truth if you think you know it. Lay down the law, if you're feeling brave, but, Daleks, never, ever tell me the rules!

Dalek: (O.C.) Emergency! Emergency! The Doctor is regenerating! The Doctor is regenerating!

The bell strikes twelve. The DOCTOR does a small dance, twirling his cane.

The Doctor: Oh, look at this. Regeneration number 13. We're breaking some serious science here, boys. I tell you what, it's going to be a whopper!

Dalek: (O.C.) Exterminate! Exterminate the Doctor.

The Doctor: (chuckles) You think you can stop me now, Daleks? If you want my life... Come... and get it!

The DOCTOR windmills his arm and the regeneration energy sh**t from it at a Dalek, causing it to fall from the sky.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

CLARA turns to the townsfolk.

Clara: Get inside! Get off street, get inside, quick. Quick!

CLARA ushers the people off the streets as the Daleks continue to att*ck.

Regeneration energy sh**t from the DOCTOR'S other arm as well.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

CLARA ushers everyone into the church and closes the door.

The Doctor: Love from Gallifrey, boys!

Regeneration energy from the DOCTOR'S head and neck sh**t straight up to the Dalek ship, destroying it. The belfrey itself is destroyed by the backlash.

[ EXT. TOWN, NIGHT]

The Daleks on the ground are k*lled in the blast. The sonic boom spreads out for miles.

LATER

The fires in the streets crackle. CLARA opens the door of the church and everyone comes out, looking around at the devastation. CLARA looks up at the remains of the belfry. She then sees the TARDIS and heads that way.

CLARA walks to the TARDIS and sees the phone dangling. She replaces it and goes inside.

[ INT. TARDIS]

CLARA enters slowly and closes the door behind her. On the floor is a trail of the DOCTOR'S cast-off clothing. She peers into a bowl on the console to see fish fingers and custard. CLARA walks over to the steps to her left and starts down them. Behind her, across the console area, someone is climbing the other set of stairs. CLARA turns around and sees the DOCTOR. He is young again and wearing his preV.O.s clothes.

Clara: Doctor!

The Doctor: Hello.

Clara: You're young again. You're OK. You didn't even change your face.

The Doctor: Ha! It's started. I can't stop it now. This is just the reset. Whole new regeneration cycle, ooh... (picks up the bowl, holds it to his mouth and eats) taking a bit longer. Just breaking it in.

The DOCTOR walks around the console and wobbles a bit. He grips one of the levers on a panel. He pulls the lever, setting the TARDIS in motion.

The Doctor: It all just disappears, doesn't it? Everything you are, gone in a moment, like breath on a mirror. Any moment now, he's a-coming.

Clara: Who's coming?

The Doctor: The Doctor.

Clara: You... you are the Doctor.

The Doctor: (bends over in pain) Yep... and I always will be. (holds up hand, glowing with energy) But times change... and so must I.

A child giggles and young AMELIA POND runs past him and up the stairs which are now covered with children's drawings.

The Doctor: Amelia?

Clara: (looks around) Who's Amelia?

AMELIA skips around the upper level.

The Doctor: The first face this face saw. We all change... when you think about it. We're all different people all through our lives. And that's OK, that's good, you've got to keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this. Not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.

The DOCTOR looks around as someone slowly walks down the stairs. A woman's hand glides along the rail. The nails have a dark polish and she's wearing a wedding ring. The woman reaches the main console floor and it is AMY.

Amy: (smiles) Raggedy man...

AMY caresses his cheek and he returns the gesture.

Amy: Good night.

AMY disappears and the DOCTOR is holding his hand in the air. CLARA takes a step forward, concerned. The DOCTOR pulls off his bow tie, holds it in front of him and then drops it to the floor. He closes his eyes tightly.

Clara: (tearful) No, no.

The Doctor: Hey...

Clara: Please don't change.

CLARA reaches with her hand, but doesn't touch the DOCTOR's glowing hand. There is a swooshing sound and in the blink of an eye, the DOCTOR has regenerated into an older man, somewhere in his 50s. CLARA backs away. He steps closer until he and CLARA are eye-to-eye. There is another swooshing and the DOCTOR falls backwards, clutching his middle.

The Doctor: Kidneys! I've got new kidneys. I don't like the colour.

Clara: Of your kidneys? What's happening?

The TARDIS starts shuddering, throwing the DOCTOR off-balance.

The Doctor: We're probably crashing! Oh!

Clara: Into what?

The Doctor: Stay calm. Just one question. Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?