04x03 - When Opportunity Knocks

Complete Collection of episode transcripts. Aired: July 1, 2008 to June 3, 2013.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Amy Juergens finds out she's pregnant after a fling at band camp, her whole world changes as she deals with family, friends, school and life.

04x03 - When Opportunity Knocks

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on “The secret life of the American Teenager”

LEO: I guess after 25 years of me, she's had enough.

AMY: Do you hope things will work out with Ricky and me?

GEORGE: I've told you more than once that it won't work out if you just move in there without any kind of commitment.

JACK: Hey, I'm sorry about the move, but I talked to Grant and he's cool with it.

GRACE: What move?

KATHLEEN: I told Jack he could move into the house and take Tom's old room until school's out.

JACK: You felt the same way when I moved into the guest house, and nothing happened.

MADISON: I still don't like your living in the house in the bedroom next to Grace.

BEN: I got married because I had to get married. And no, I do not want to be married.

ALICE: I don't think I'd say anything about this stuff to anyone else.

BEN: I want out.

ADRIAN: I'm afraid he's going to leave me. I keep telling everyone he won't... But I'm afraid he will.

BEN: Apparently Camille is in love with you. That's why she quit.

LEO: What?

RICKY: I want you to be honest with me and not keep anything from me, and I want to be free to be honest with you and not keep anything from you. I really would like to go and talk to your dad. I don't want your family to be upset with us.

BUTCHER SHOP

Ricky, Amy and John are ready to go but Nora and Margaret waits them.

RICKY: Come on, John, Grandma's here. Why is Grandma here so early? We don't know. Oh, that's Grandmas. Two of them.

NORA: Looks like you were right, Margaret. Good morning.

AMY: Good morning. What's going on? Is everything okay?

RICKY: Oh, no.

MARGARET: "Oh, no" is right. Ricky, don't you think it'd be appropriate to tell your mothers when you decide to make a big decision like this? And your father?

RICKY: Big decision like what?

NORA: Uh, like you two are cohabitating.

RICKY: Not us two. Us three. It's the three of us.

AMY: Yeah, we decided we didn't want to make any big announcement. We didn't want it to be a big deal.

RICKY: Because it's not a big deal.

NORA: Yeah? So, if it's not such a big deal, why couldn't you just tell us that you three were living together?

MARGARET: What she said.

RICKY: How'd you find out?

MARGARET: Same way I find everything out. People tell me things. Not people like you two, but other people.

RICKY: What people? We haven't told anyone.

AMY: Actually, some of us have.

RICKY: Adrian told you?

MARGARET: I don't disclose my sources. Just one of the reasons people are comfortable talking to me. And it doesn't matter who told me. I heard it from someone other than you, and that doesn't make me too happy.

NORA: And let me tell you something, your father isn't very happy about this either. In fact, he was gonna come with us, but he had a surgery to perform this morning.

RICKY: You're not married to him, she's married to him. Shouldn't she me that?

NORA: I'm telling you that.

RICKY: Has Ollie weighed in on this? How's your girlfriend or fiancee or whatever she is... How does she feel about it?

NORA: I haven't mentioned this to Ollie. I don't know how she's going feel about it.

RICKY: I don't care how she feels about it. And as much as I love you both and my dad, I don't care how you feel about it either because this is what we want to do, so this what we're doing.

AMY: Uh... I care. I care what you think. I also care what my dad thinks and he's not too happy about it either, and I feel terrible about that, but... I really love being here. I mean, I love Ricky and we both love John and we both love you...

RICKY: And we both have to get to school. Bye.

AMY: Say "bye," John.

JOHN: Bye-bye.

MARGARET: Bye-bye. Bye-bye.

NORA: Bye, John.

MARGARET: Bye.

JOHN: Bye-bye.

(Ricky, Amy and John leaves)

NORA: He's so cute.

MARGARET: He is.

NORA: Ricky.

MARGARET: John.

NORA: But Ricky's cute too.

MARGARET: Oh! And you know, you're right, Amy does look like you.

NORA: I know. It's kind of sick, isn't it?

MARGARET: Oh, a little. So, what do you think?

NORA: I think I hope Ricky doesn't mess this up.

MARGARET: Ricky? Hope Ricky doesn't mess it up? What about Amy?

NORA: Oh, Amy's not going to mess this up. No. Unless, of course, at some point she wants a real commitment. At which point, it could all fall apart.

MARGARET: Well, after they've lived together for a while, maybe they'll want to make a commitment to each other. I mean, I don't think this is the worst idea. I wish I had known, but... Maybe this is the right thing for them.

NORA: You know Ricky has issues. Especially with commitment. I don't know if he can be with just one girl. MARGARET: I think Ricky can make a commitment. I think what he's doing here is a commitment. Seems to me you're the one that is...

NORA: I told you I do not want to talk about that.

MARGARET: Unable to make a commitment. I don't know why you can't just work something out so that Ollie is...

NORA: Not going to talk about it.

MARGARET: She loves you. All right. I got to go. Oh, when you see Ricky this afternoon, don't give him any ideas about Amy wanting a commitment, because maybe she does and maybe she doesn't. Just let that be between the two of them and don't let your own issues cross over into their lives.

NORA: Or what?

MARGARET: Or this little arrangement he has with Amy could be the beginning of the end instead of the beginning of the beginning.

NORA: Bye, Mom.

THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER – OPEN CREDITS

HIGH SCHOOL

Leo wants to see his son but he is in class. Katelyn sees him.

KATELYN: Hi.

LEO: Hi.

KATELYN: Katelyn O'Malley.

LEO: Okay.

KATELYN: I'm the school counselor.

LEO: Oh. I'm sorry. I thought you were a student. Excuse me. Leo Boykewich, nice to meet you.

KATELYN: Could I talk to you?

LEO: I only have a few minutes.

MARGARET: In my office? Please, sit down. LEO: I don't really have time to sit down.

KATELYN: I'm a little concerned about Ben.

LEO: We've all been a little concerned about Ben. But he's doing all right in school, isn't he?

KATELYN: He is, he's making a real effort to make up for the time he lost.

LEO: Good, good to hear.

KATELYN: He's done really well, considering what he and Adrian went through, but it just seems that he's increasingly agitated.

LEO: Considering what happened to them, it seems normal he'd be agitated, don't you think, Katelyn?

KATELYN: I suppose so, yes. But he's getting more and more agitated. Kind of building up steam

like he might, I don't know, lose control or something. I just wondered if there's anything I can do.

LEO: No, I don't think so. He's been getting some help. And that's confidential between you and me.

KATELYN: Of course. And that's good to hear. So, is Adrian also getting some help? Because I would love to get her back in school by end of the year. I mean, if she came back now and she went to summer school, she might still be able to graduate this summer.

LEO: I can't really answer for Adrian. You'll have to ask Adrian or her parents. Or Ben even.

KATELYN: I talked to Ben, he told me to call her, but she won't return any of my phone calls. And I don't want to just show up.

LEO: You might have to. My wife, Betty, did that last week. She went over there and talked to her, and I think she made Adrian feel a little better. So you want to show up, show up. It's up to you. I've never been one to just show up somewhere myself, but sometimes maybe it's the only thing to do.

(Ben joins them)

LEO: Hey, there he is.

BEN: Yeah. Here I am.

LEO: Could we use your office for a moment? You mind?

KATELYN: I...I guess not. Hi, Ben.

(Katelyn goes out of the office)

BEN: What are you doing here?

LEO: I thought I'd come by and see if you wanted to get out for the day. It's Friday, the end of week. Maybe you wanted to take the rest of the day off, like me.

BEN: No. I don't want to take the day off. I don't want to get out for the rest of the day. I can't get out for the rest of the day. I've already missed a lot of school and I'm still catching up.

LEO: Your counselor just told me that you were pretty much caught up. I just thought we could hang out.

BEN: I'm not caught up. You want out of your office so badly that you'd come over here and try to get me out of class so you'd have someone to hang out with?

LEO: It's just that I can't go through another weekend without asking you something.

BEN: Something you couldn't just call me about?

LEO: I called you.

BEN: I didn't get any messages that called me.

LEO: Well, I didn't want to leave a message.

BEN: What?

LEO: I never know who you're around when I call. Most of the time you're at your condo and Adrian's there, and at the shop, Bunny's there, and Ricky.

BEN: So next time just text me. No one's reading my text messages, and I erase them as soon as I get them.

LEO: It's good to know. Still, I don't want any record of anything regarding this.

BEN: Regarding what?

LEO: You know what.

BEN: Camille? You still want to talk about Camille? Did you come all the way over here to my high school and drag me out of class to find out if a girl really likes you?

LEO: I can't get our conversation out of my mind. I mean, are you sure about this theory regarding Camille?

BEN: Dad, I just rushed through a test and lied to my teacher and told her I wasn't feeling well so I could come out here and talk to you. And I don't even think she believes me, but no one is saying no to me right now because everyone feels so sorry for me.

LEO: And because they think you're increasingly agitated.

HIGH SCHOOL/CONDO

Grant is at phone with someone. It's Grace.

GRANT(at phone): I thought you weren't coming in until tomorrow. Why didn't you call me?

GRACE(at phone): I can't wait to see you.

GRANT(at phone): I'll leave right now, I'll come over there.

GRACE(at phone): Oh. I'm not home. I wanted to see Adrian.

GRANT(at phone): Okay, well, when are you leaving there?

GRACE(at phone): I don't know, but... It's my first day back, so it's been a little crazy.

GRANT(at phone): Still, you want to see me, right? It's been two weeks.

GRACE(at phone): I know, a long two weeks, but I'm just completely jet-lagged, so when I leave here, I'll probably just go home and crash.

GRANT(at phone): I'll crash with you.

GRACE(at phone): Grant, I want to see you, I do, but I just need a day, okay? I just need to go home and sleep and clean up and I need to see my mom. So let's just see each other tomorrow.

HIGH SCHOOL

Ben and Leo go out of the office.

BEN: You said there was nothing we could do about it! We! That includes you. And by the way, do you think doing nothing is not just going to make me increasingly agitated? Look, I couldn't do anything about losing Mercy, but I can do something about losing me.

(Katelyn joins)

KATELYN: You told him I said that?

LEO: I didn't say it was you, no, course not. But he may be right.

HIGH SCHOOL/CONDO

GRANT(at phone): Grace, I don't want to wait till tomorrow to see you.

GRACE(at phone): Well, I wasn't going to be back until tomorrow anyway.

GRANT(at phone): Yeah, when were you going to let me know you got in early? If Jack hadn't said anything, I wouldn't even know that you're back.

GRACE(at phone): Well, I am, and tomorrow night, when you had planned to see me, you will see me, okay? I have to go, I'm at Adrian's. I'll talk to you later, okay?

CONDO

Grace talks with Adrian.

GRACE: He hung up on me.

ADRIAN: Finally.

GRACE: I mean, I feel badly, but I really wanted to see you first.

ADRIAN: Here I am.

GRACE: Here you are.

ADRIAN: Yeah. Thanks for coming over, Grace, but it's hard for me to see you or to see anyone when I look this.

GRACE: When you look like what?

ADRIAN: Fat.

GRACE: Adrian, you just...

ADRIAN: Yeah, I just had a baby.

GRACE: Sorry.

ADRIAN: In a weird way, I like being fat. It makes me feel like I'm still pregnant. I loved being pregnant.

GRACE: I know. And again, I'm so sorry...

ADRIAN: You don't have to keep saying you're sorry.

GRACE: I just... I feel helpless to help you, and I can see that you're still hurting.

ADRIAN: I don't want any help! Don't help! I don't want people feeling sorry for me. I can't stand being pitied. And I don't want to talk about the baby, Grace. It's really hard for me and it honestly doesn't seem to do me any good to talk about it.

GRACE: Okay. Let's talk about something else, anything else. It's really great to see you. I missed you. I missed being able to talk to you anytime I wanted, anytime I needed. I mean, that's what's so great about having a best friend, right? You can tell your best friend anything.

ADRIAN: Would you stop? I don't need to talk about what happened.

GRACE: I totally understand what you're saying about that. But maybe I need to talk to you. Really. I can tell you things I would never tell anyone else.

ADRIAN: What can you tell me that you can't tell anyone else?

GRACE: About my trip to Zimbabwe.

ADRIAN: What about it?

GRACE: Well... It was an amazing experience. You know, Jeff really let me do a lot. He let me watch him operate and I got to hold the...

ADRIAN: The babies? It's not like people can stop saying the word "baby" or "babies." I'm just going to have to get used to it. So, get back to what you were saying about the babies.

GRACE: That's just what the volunteers mostly do. Hold the little patients.

ADRIAN: You can tell anyone that.

GRACE: Yeah, I know.

ADRIAN: Get to the part that you can only tell me. Is there a part that you can only tell me or were you just trying to make me feel special or something to make me feel better? You can't make me feel better, all right? So don't do that. Just be honest, say what you're thinking. Geez, I wish more people could be like Betty.

GRACE: I... I am like Betty. The old Betty.

ADRIAN: If all the guys look like that over there, I might volunteer.

GRACE: He's not from over there, he's from over here. He's from California. He was over there with his dad. His dad was one of the doctors.

ADRIAN: Wait... You and this guy...

GRACE: Yep. I didn't mean for it to happen, but I'm really happy that it did.

BUTCHER SHOP

Ricky and Nora talk together.

NORA: Why not Bunny?

RICKY: Because she's Bunny.

NORA: Yeah. She is Bunny. She knows everything there is to know about the business and she knows Leo. Who better than Bunny?

RICKY: Probably anyone. Even you.

NORA: Oh?

RICKY: I didn't mean that like it sounded.

NORA: How did you mean it?

RICKY: I meant it in a good way. I meant, he could have asked you. I guess.

NORA: Yeah, I guess, but who wants it? I'm happy right here, right now, you know. I'm sober, I have a safe place to live, I have an honest job. I have my son back in my life and my grandson and... What do I call Amy now that you two are living together?

RICKY: Amy.

NORA: Oh. Okay.

RICKY: Don't forget about Ollie. You've got Ollie. What do I call Ollie?

NORA: We broke up, like a few weeks ago.

RICKY: What happened?

NORA: I'll tell you what happened. I couldn't make a commitment either, not real commitment. She wanted a wedding and a marriage and she wanted to invite friends and family and I didn't.

RICKY: Wait, "either"? What do you mean by "either"?

NORA: Oh, so you're going to marry Amy someday?

RICKY: I don't think we want to get married. We like things just like they are.

NORA: You've been living together for like what, a week now? You think Amy is going to be happy with just living together? Don't kid yourself. And don't tell Margaret I said anything about this, okay? Hey, Mr. Petersen! How are you?

Ben arrives at work.

BEN: What's going on?

RICKY: Nothing. Bunny's filling in at your dad's office.

BEN: Oh, geez. No wonder he's out running loose today. He didn't mention that.

RICKY: What happened to his assistant?

BEN: Who knows?

RICKY: You know. Wouldn't you know?

BEN: How would I know?

RICKY: I know you know something 'cause you're answering questions with questions.

BEN: Maybe she got tired of working for him after 25 years. I mean, think about it. About 25 years. That's 300 months. That's thousands of weeks. 1,300.

BEN: How many days?

RICKY: 365 times 25, plus six for leap year...

BEN: How many?

RICKY: 9,131.

BEN: Can you imagine spending 9,131 days with anyone? I can't. Can you? I can't even stand to think about it. It's like staring into a giant black hole in the universe and watching your entire life get sucked through it before you can even grab on to it for the ride.

RICKY: Maybe you're thinking a little too much, you know? Just don't think about it.

BEN: I can't quit thinking about it. You'll see. Once you start thinking about it, about the hours and the days and the months and the years you're going to spend with Amy, things will change. And not for the better. I don't care how happy you are. I want out. I don't care if you know, I don't care if everyone knows, I want out.

RICKY: Do you care if Adrian knows? Stop saying that out loud or someone is going to tell her.

BEN: Maybe it's better that way. Because I can't. I can't tell her I want to go. And I can't stay. It's k*lling me. You tell her. You know her best, or you think you do. You tell her.

RICKY: I don't even talk to her. If and when I do talk to her, it's not going to be to tell her that you want out of your marriage. Geez, she just lost a baby.

BEN: So did I.

Bunny enters in the shop.

NORA: Wow. That's a little change from the apron, huh? You look nice, Bunny. You look very, um, professional.

BUNNY: What's your problem?

NORA: Mr. Petersen is just waiting on his steaks. Here you go. Tell Teresa I already put the marinade she doesn't have to do a thing, just throw them on the grill.

PETERSEN: Thanks, sweetheart. Bunny.

BUNNY: I prefer dead cows to people any day.

NORA: So, is Leo okay?

BUNNY: No, he is not okay. He is short-tempered and cranky. But, for the exception of Camille, I guess, everybody understands.

BEN: Understands what?

BUNNY: That you all had a rough year. And right now your dad is a sensitive guy with a short temper but a big heart.

BEN: Yeah, a big heart and yet not big enough. We have that in common.

CAMILLE'S HOUSE

Leo visits Camille.

CAMILLE: Leo, what are you doing here?

LEO: I'm here to ask you if you could please come back to work.

CAMILLE: I took another job. I start Monday.

LEO: Come on, Camille. Don't go to a new job. It's not too late for you to change your mind.

CAMILLE: I'm afraid it is, Leo. It is too late. Thanks for coming by, but let's not make this any harder on me than it already has been.

LEO: Well, if it's so difficult, why did you leave?

CAMILLE: Why not?

LEO: Why not? Because you're important to the company. The company needs you. Okay, I need you. Please. Come back.

CAMILLE: No. Sorry, Leo, I've made up my mind. I don't want to be there. I don't want to work for you.

LEO: To be blunt.

CAMILLE: To be honest.

LEO: Is that honest?

CAMILLE: That's as honest as I can get.

LEO: Why don't you want to work for me all of a sudden?

CAMILLE: I just don't.

LEO: There has to be a reason.

CAMILLE: No, there doesn't.

LEO: There's no reason?

CAMILLE: I think you know the reason, Leo.

LEO: I think I don't.

CAMILLE: You want to take a guess?

LEO: No. But you know I'd like to come back, so if you go to the new job and you don't like it and you change your mind...

CAMILLE: I won't, and going back to what you just said, I don't know how you feel.

LEO: All right. Well, I feel that people make mistakes sometimes, and then, unfortunately, they have to live with those mistakes and make the best of it.

CAMILLE: Yes. Even you.

LEO: I just said that.

CAMILLE: You said "people."

LEO: You know I meant me.

CAMILLE: I guess what I'm saying is I can't live with your mistakes. And I don't want to be a part of your "making the best of it," whatever that means. So, thank you for dropping by, but don't drop by again.

LEO: All right. I won't drop by again and I'll stop asking you to come back to work. So I guess this is it.

CAMILLE: This is it.

LEO: You always did have to have the last word.

MARGARET'S APARTMENT

Margaret have visits.

SHAKUR: See for yourself.

MARGARET: Hi, John. Hi.

AMY: Hi. I hope you don't mind if we drop by. I stopped by the bakery to pick up some things for dinner and I thought I'd drop off a cake for you guys.

MARGARET: That is so sweet.

SHAKUR: Yeah. Would you like to sit down?

AMY: Oh, no, we can't stay. I'm cooking spaghetti tonight.

SHAKUR: I didn't know you cook.

AMY: Well, Ricky does most of the cooking. I don't know how to cook very many things other than spaghetti, huh? So, this is a little more awkward than I thought it might be. Look, I just feel really badly that you don't like that I'm living with Ricky. Or that John and I are living with Ricky. And I know he says he doesn't care, but he does care. We both do.

MARGARET: Oh, no, honey. I don't think it's the worst thing that the two of you are living together.

SHAKUR: No, we don't approve but we don't not approve. It may work out, it may not.

MARGARET: I just didn't like hearing about it from somebody else.

SHAKUR: But we're over that now.

AMY: Are you?

MARGARET: Amy, we've all just got to stay focused on what is best for this little man right there. And if you and Ricky can work things out so that you can raise your son together, I'm all for it. And I'm all for Ricky having a, uh...

SHAKUR: Stable, loving relationship.

MARGARET: Even if you're not married.

SHAKUR: Amy, are you okay with not being married? With living with Ricky without any kind of commitment?

MARGARET: Shakur, that's a little personal, don't you think?

SHAKUR: Sorry.

MARGARET: But as long as the question is out there, are you?

AMY: I really am. I am. I think that being married can make Ricky feel trapped. And I think being married is a good thing for a lot of people, but I don't think it would be a good thing for Ricky and me.

MARGARET: You know what? You are a smart cookie. I like you, Amy, I really do. And I'm glad that you stopped by here. You're always welcome here. And it's nice to see you and John in my kitchen, feels like family.

AMY: Thanks.

JUERGENS' HOUSE/HOUSE IN FLORIDA

George receives a call.

GEORGE: No French fries. (at phone)Hey, Ash, how's the road?

ASHLEY(at phone): Good. That's great.

GEORGE(at phone): Where are you now, the middle of Texas? You must be around the middle of Texas. Are you to San Antonio yet? You've got to stop and visit the Alamo. It's amazing.

ASHLEY(at phone): We're kind of past San Antonio.

GEORGE(at phone): Yeah, well, turn around and go back. Believe me, it's worth it.

ASHLEY(at phone): Well, we're not just past San Antonio. We're way past it.

GEORGE(at phone): You can't be way past it yet. Last time you called me, you were in El Paso.

ASHLEY(at phone): Yeah, but we just had a couple of cappuccinos and kept driving.

GEORGE(at phone): Where are you?

ASHLEY(at phone): We're here.

GEORGE(at phone): You're where?

ASHLEY(at phone): In Florida.

GEORGE(at phone): You can't be in Florida already.

ASHLEY(at phone): Oh, I can, because I am.

GEORGE(at phone): What?

ASHLEY(at phone): We're at the house already. Toby's grandmother's house. It's nice.

GEORGE(at phone): But you just left, like, yesterday.

ASHLEY(at phone): We left a week ago.

GEORGE(at phone): So you're there with Toby's grandmother?

ASHLEY(at phone): Uh, we're at Toby's grandmother's house, yeah.

GEORGE(at phone): With his grandmother?

ASHLEY(at phone): Uh...No. But she's coming. We got here a couple of weeks early and she's still in New York, but she's coming.

GEORGE(at phone): All right, Ashley. Well, I'm happy you made it. And there's a lot you can learn in Florida. A lot of history there. I miss you.

ASHLEY(at phone): Yeah, I miss you, too, Dad. And, um... Thanks for letting me do this. It really is kind of fun. I love you. Good night.

GEORGE(at phone): Good night, Ashley.

JUERGENS' HOUSE

Ricky visits George.

GEORGE: Pass the ketchup.

RICKY: Hey, I was hoping you'd be here.

GEORGE: Yeah, I'm here.

RICKY: I haven't seen you in a while, so I thought I'd drop by and say hello.

GEORGE: Your mothers tell you to come and talk to me?

RICKY: No. You're the one who told them?

GEORGE: They didn't tell you I told them?

RICKY: No.

GEORGE: Tell them what?

RICKY: You told them Amy and I are living together.

GEORGE: The whole thing is ridiculous. You're not old enough to have your own apartment, much less your own family.

RICKY: Yeah, maybe, but we do have our own apartment and our own family, and that's how it is.

GEORGE: That place is too small to raise your son in that tiny apartment with him right next to you.

RICKY: People live in tinier apartments with more than one kid.

GEORGE: I hope you're not here to tell me you're having another kid.

RICKY: No, no, I'm not. I'm just here because you're Amy's dad and I want to be on good terms with you and the rest of the family. And I'd like you to come over and visit us sometime, and I know Amy would like that.

GEORGE: I'm not going to do that, so you don't have to worry about that.

RICKY: I'm not worried about that. Why wouldn't you?

GEORGE: 'Cause I don't want to see where you're sleeping with my daughter.

RICKY: You've seen my apartment before.

GEORGE: Not with the two of you in it.

RICKY: The three of us. And the three of us are really happy there.

GEORGE: Yeah? Well, sooner or later the honeymoon is going to be over and then we'll see how happy the three of you are.

RICKY: I guess there's a honeymoon period with all relationships, whether you're married or just living together.

GEORGE: That's what the marriage is for. That's why you make a legally binding commitment. To keep you together after the honeymoon is over. To keep you together long after you want to be there.

RICKY: If there comes a time when Amy doesn't want to be there, she can just walk away.

GEORGE: And so can you. That's why this whole living-together thing doesn't work.

RICKY: It works for us. For right now.

GEORGE: You crazy teenagers think that that's what life is all about. The right now.

RICKY: I think that's what Buddhists think life is all about. The right now.

GEORGE: So now you're a communist?

RICKY: What? No. I'm not a communist or a Buddhist or anything but in love with Amy. Why can't I just be in love with Amy?

GEORGE: Because that's not enough.

RICKY: It is for Amy.

GEORGE: It's not for me.

RICKY: All right, well, Amy wanted you to come over and have dinner with us. She's making spaghetti.

GEORGE: She makes the worst spaghetti in the world.

RICKY: I know.

GEORGE: It doesn't even have real meat in it.

RICKY: I know.

GEORGE: You want to eat meatless spaghetti the rest of your life?

RICKY: We could bring Moose with us. She just wants to feel like what we're doing is okay with you. She doesn't have to have your approval, but she wants it.

GEORGE: Actually, she does need my approval. You're 18, she's not. If I want to stop the two of you from living together, legally, I could.

RICKY: But you're not going to, are you?

GEORGE: No, I'm not.

RICKY: She loves you.

GEORGE: She loves you more.

RICKY: Yeah. But isn't that the way life's supposed to be?

GEORGE: No.

RICKY: Come on.

GEORGE: Tell you what, I'll have dinner over there when you put a ring on her finger, and I don't even want to see that happen until she's graduated from college.

RICKY: That's a really, really long time.

GEORGE: Yeah. So is the rest of your life.

RESTAURANT

Griffin and Grant talk together.

GRIFFIN: I honestly think it's good for Ashley to go off on this adventure, to get away from her house for a while.

GRANT: Yeah, well, look where that got me. Telling Grace to go off on her adventure. She doesn't even want to see me her first night home.

GRIFFIN: Yeah, I know. I'd feel that way if Peter went off and didn't call me when he got back, but of course, Ashley's not my girlfriend, she's just a friend, a good friend.

GRANT: Your best friend.

GRIFFIN: She was my best friend. But hey, I've got a new best friend.

GRANT: Who's that?

GRIFFIN: Peter.

GRANT: He's not your best friend, he's your boyfriend.

GRIFFIN: Yeah, that too. Oh, here he is.

(Peter comes in)

PETER: Sorry I'm late. Griffin didn't tell you I was coming, did he?

GRANT: I don't care.

GRIFFIN: I assumed he was bringing Grace since you said she was back.

PETER: So where is Grace?

GRANT: She wanted to see her family. I mean, that's understandable, right? She did just get back in last night.

GRIFFIN: Right.

PETER: Right. I don't know, but if Griffin went away for a couple of weeks and on his first night back he didn't see me, I think I'd be accusing someone of cheating.

GRIFFIN: Ooh. Whoa! We're talking about Grace here. And I would never cheat on you.

GRANT: Grace would never cheat on me. And I would never cheat on her. You think she cheated on me? She's on a medical mission. Who would she cheat with?

GRACE'S HOUSE

Grace prepares diner with her mother.

KATHLEEN: Yummy.

GRACE: Is Jack eating with us or is it just the two of us?

KATHLEEN: Oh, let's see, it's the four, five, seven of us.

GRACE: Tom and Rachel and the kids and Jack?

KATHLEEN: Yes. And Jack. So, can you set the dining room table, please?

GRACE: Okay, I think I'm just gonna eat in my room, in bed. I'm so jet-lagged. I don't think I could stay awake through a meal.

KATHLEEN: Oh. Well, you should have slept in this morning.

GRACE: I needed to see Adrian.

KATHLEEN: You could have seen her tomorrow. I'm surprised you didn't need to see Grant. He's not coming over tonight?

GRACE: No, I'm too tired to see Grant. Really, can't I just take a plate of food upstairs and eat?

KATHLEEN: Honey, no. You need to get back on your normal schedule as soon as possible. I mean, you have to be back at school on Monday. Okay? So, why don't you just eat with all of us, stay awake as long as you can, and then go to bed, and then wake up at your usual time tomorrow?

GRACE: I'll try, but I don't know, I don't know if I'm going to make it.

(CELL PHONE BEEPS)

GRACE: It's Grant.

KATHLEEN: Oh, well, tell him he's welcome to come over and eat with the rest of us. Although, I prefer the two of you not spend the night together. You know, just take it one night... Grace, what's going on?

GRACE: Nothing. I just told GrantI'd see him tomorrow. I just don't feel comfortable with having him here when Jack's in the next room. Which is probably the real reason you let that woman and her two children move into the guest house and you put Jack right next door to me.

(CELL PHONE BEEPS)

KATHLEEN: So, who are you texting? It's not Grant. I can tell it's not Grant.

GRACE: No, you can't.

KATHLEEN: Is it that guy you met on your trip?

GRACE: What? What guy did I meet on my trip? Mom, please. I did not meet a guy on my trip.

KATHLEEN: Jeff sends pictures, you know.

GRACE: Jeff can send all the pictures he wants, it doesn't mean I met somebody. I mean, I met people, but not any special guy kind of people.

KATHLEEN: Who's that?

GRACE: Oh. That guy? I resuscitated him.

KATHLEEN: Standing up?

GRACE: Yeah, that's how they like to do it over there. You know, it's better for the lungs to be upright.

KATHLEEN: Honey, Jeff already told me.

GRACE: That I slept with that guy?

KATHLEEN: You did what?

GRACE: Okay, don't get upset. Please don't get upset. I'm already upset enough. I don't know what I was thinking.

KATHLEEN: Grace, this is why you don't have sex in high school.

GRACE: Well, this is why you do.

KATHLEEN: Grace! You can't just sleep with every guy you meet.

GRACE: This is going to be the last one.

KATHLEEN: Honey, you said that Jack was going to be the only one for the rest of your life. And I know you believed it, even though I didn't. And then Grant, you said you were in love with Grant.

GRACE: I am! Or I was. I love him. I never said Grant was going be the last one. I think I'm in love with Daniel, Mom. And not in the same way I was in love with Jack. Or Grant.

KATHLEEN: And the way you're in love with Daniel is not the way you're gonna be in love with the next guy, or the next guy after that.

GRACE: Probably not.

KATHLEEN: Probably not? Ugh, Grace, I was just trying to make a point.

GRACE: Well, can you hurry up and make it? Because he's on his way over here.

(Jack comes in)

JACK: Who's on his way over here?

GRACE: Oh, God.

JACK: I'm sorry, but I live here. I couldn't help but hear you coming down the stairs. New boyfriend, huh?

GRACE: If you say a word to Madison or to your new friend Grant, or to anybody, anybody, I will...

KATHLEEN: Grace, stop.

JACK: I'm not going to say anything to anyone. But I can't wait to meet him. So, you cheated, huh?

GRACE: Hmm.

JACK: See, it's easier than you thought, isn't it? I used to be like that. But then I met someone I really love.

GRACE: You'd cheat with me if I let you.

JACK: Actually I wouldn't.

GRACE: Oh, yeah?

JACK: Yeah.

GRACE: Hmm.

KATHLEEN: Okay, I am just gonna go eat in the guest house with Tom and Rachel and the kids, and so will you.

JACK: Don't you want to meet this guy, see if you like him?

KATHLEEN: Oh, I like him. I mean, I like you, I like Grant, I liked Ricky and Ben. I've liked all the guys Grace has been out with. But I think she's gonna be going out with a lot more guys after this. So, I just wish she would stop having sex until she's a little older and ready to make a commitment. And you too.

JACK: I'm not having sex.

KATHLEEN: Well, as Grace pointed out, how long is that gonna last?

JACK: I hope not much longer.

Doorbell rings, Jack opens the door.

DANIEL: Hi. Uh, is Grace home? Are you Jack?

JACK: Are you Daniel?

MADISON'S HOUSE

Lauren and Madison talk together.

LAUREN: It's a family diner. He was asked to be at the family dinner, he's living with the family. That doesn't mean he's cheating on you with Grace.

MADISON: Well, it's her first night home and it's the first time he's ever broken a date with me. It's step one to cheating. It's step one to him breaking up with me.

LAUREN: Well, I say let go and let God. If you really want to know if he loves you, set him free and see if he comes back to you.

MADISON: Oh, like Jesse or... What was that other guy?

LAUREN: Yeah. Like that.

MADISON: Yeah, you'd like that, wouldn't you? If I didn't have a boyfriend, too.

LAUREN: I'd love that. I'm sick of Jack. I want to go out and have some fun. Some girlfriend fun. I want to go to the mall and hang out at some hangout. I want to meet some new guys and have some new experiences.

MADISON: Well, I don't!

LAUREN: Oh, don't call him.

MADISON'S HOUSE/ HOUSE

Madison calls Jack's father.

STONE(at phone): Hello.

MADISON(at phone): Reverend Stone?

LAUREN(at phone): Reverend Stone?

STONE(at phone): Madison? Honey, it's Madison.

JACK'S MOTHER: Hi, Madison.

MADISON(at phone): I just want to tell you something that I feel that Jack is never gonna tell you.

STONE(at phone): Should you do that?

LAUREN: No, you shouldn't.

STONE(at phone): Is that Lauren? Lauren's with Madison.

JACK'S MOTHER: Hi, Lauren.

MADISON(at phone): Jack is having a bit of an emotional breakdown.

STONE(at phone): I just talked to him. He sounded okay to me, happy even.

MADISON(at phone): He would never tell you this, but Jack really doesn't want to go to Arizona to school. He really wants you guys to move back and to take your old job back. You know, he just wants to live with you guys and make up for this last year. He hates living with the Bowmans and he just... He wants to live here and just go to school here.

JACK'S MOTHER: Javelina.

STONE(at phone): Well, thank you for letting me know, Madison. I really appreciate it. I'll be back in touch. Good night.

JACK'S MOTHER: Yeah, right there.

STONE: Oh! Madison wants us to move back. Okay, you are in so much trouble.

GRACE'S HOUSE

Jack and Daniel waits Grace to wake up.

JACK: You might as well go home. I don't think she's going to wake up.

DANIEL: She'll wake up.

JACK: All right, suit yourself.

GRANT: Hey, where is everyone? How come no one is in the kitchen? Who are you?

JACK: Grant, this is Daniel. Daniel, this is Grant.

GRANT: Nice to meet you. What happened to Grace?

DANIEL: You know, that's a very good question.

JACK: Maybe she fell apart when our church fell apart. You know, one minister after another, one guy... Ah, never mind. I don't know if you know this or not, but Grace used to be a Christian.

DANIEL: So what? I'm a Christian.

JACK: Me, too.

GRANT: I've never even been to church and I'm betting I'm the only Christian here.

(Grace wakes up)

GRACE: I have to talk to Grant.

DANIEL: I'll call you tomorrow?

JACK: I'll probably see you later, 'cause I'll be right upstairs.

(Jack leaves)

GRACE: Hi. Good night. Grant, I'm really sorry, but I...I met somebody else.

GRANT: Obviously.

GRACE: I'm really sorry.

GRANT: Me, too. But hey, things happen, and I hope we can be friends, Grace.

GRACE: You do? Okay, that's not what I was expecting, but that's so nice. Wait a minute. That's a little bit too nice. What'd you do?

GRANT: Good night, Grace.

CONDO

Ben comes home.

BEN: Adrian?

ADRIAN: I've been waiting for you.

BEN/ADRIAN: I need to talk to you.

ADRIAN: I know what you're going to say, Ben.

BEN: No. No, I don't think you do know what I'm going to say.

ADRIAN: Okay, maybe I don't, but here's what I want to say to you. I don't blame you if you want to run away from home. I don't blame you if you can't take this anymore, if you don't want to be with me. I've been horrible these past two months, really horrible. I've just been so hurt, Ben. Losing Mercy hurt me more than I knew I could be hurt. And a tough girl like me doesn't know how to be hurt. I stopped allowing myself to be hurt years ago. But this, what happened to us, that went right through that wall that I always put up, and it crushed me. And I've been trying to pick up the pieces, but there are just so many pieces, it was overwhelming and terrifying and just exhausting. But I don't want to lose you, Ben. I really don't. I love you more than you know. And I'm just asking for some time, just a little more of your time. Stay with me. Be with me. Heal me, Ben.

BEN: I can't. I can't heal you. I can't stay with you. I can't be with you. I'm sorry. I can't.

ADRIAN: Of course you can. And I'll make it all worth it. Was that a maybe?

RICKY'S APARTMENT

Amy and Ricky finish to eat. George was with them.

AMY: I just feel so healthy when we eat like that. With the whole wheat pasta and that sauce. When we eat like that, then I feel like we can have a dessert like this.

RICKY: Thanks. Yeah, that sauce. What's in that sauce exactly?

AMY: It's a meat substitute. It's made from vegetables and soy products.

RICKY: I don't know how to cook with those things. I'll have to learn to cook healthier.

AMY: Well, maybe I could cook that once a week. We could make every Friday night spaghetti night.

(George sees them)

GEORGE: Trying to get the taste of that sauce out of your mouth?

AMY: Dad, stop teasing me. I know you like my spaghetti. You had a huge plateful.

RICKY: Amy wants to make every Friday night spaghetti night. Maybe you can come over every Friday night.

GEORGE: I'll take Thursdays. I'll see you two.

AMY: Thanks for coming over.

GEORGE: Good night. Good night.

RICKY: Good night.

(They kiss)

End of the episode.