03x02 - Accentuate the Positive

Complete Collection of episode transcripts. Aired: July 1, 2008 to June 3, 2013.*
Watch/Buy Amazon  Merchandise

Amy Juergens finds out she's pregnant after a fling at band camp, her whole world changes as she deals with family, friends, school and life.

03x02 - Accentuate the Positive

Post by bunniefuu »

Previously on "The Secret Life Of The American Teenager"

BEN: What's going on?

ADRIAN: It's good news. I started my period. I'm not pregnant.

BEN: Oh, thank God. Really?

ADRIAN: Really. So you're off the hook.

ANNE: Are you sure you want to get back with Ben even after he and Adrian were together?

AMY: I still love him no matter what he did.

GRACE: I got my license.

BEN: Congratulations.

GRACE: I really want to show you my car.

MADISON: Do you really love me?

JACK: Yeah.

ADRIAN: Did you want to have a baby with me?

BEN: No.

ADRIAN: So let's just forget that this ever happened.

GRACE: He and Adrian did something they shouldn't have, and she thought she was pregnant.

KATHLEEN: How is it she thought she was and then she's not?

JACK'S MOTHER: We're moving.

JACK'S FATHER: Is there any possibility you could stay with a friend you're senior year of high school?

JACK: Sure, I have plenty of friends.

RICKY: How are things with that guy?

ASHLEY: You know his name.

RICKY: Grant.

BEN: I swear to you, Amy Juergens, I will never do anything again to hurt you.

ASHLEY: I'm on the pill.

ANNE: Are you having sex?

AMY: You're okay if she's on the pill?

ASHLEY: Obviously it's okay with her if you're on the pill.

RUBEN: If you need some help or want to talk, I'm there for you, Adrian.

RECORDED FEMALE VOICE: You have reached the Women's Free Clinic. If you'd like to make an appointment, please call back during business hours.

BOYKEWICH'S HOUSE

Ben calls to Ricky. His friends come in.

BEN(at phone): Hey, Ricky. Hey, I just wanted to thank you again for last night, for making me go talk to Amy. You have no idea how happy I am being back together with her, so thanks again.

ALICE: Here's the research.

BEN: What research?

ALICE: On early pregnancy tests.

BEN: I don't need it. Adrian's not pregnant. I went over there and talked to her.

HENRY: That would be good enough for me.

ALICE: It's not good enough for me. Ben, did you or did you not see the stick, the results of the test.

BEN: I saw the results, and they were wrong.

ALICE: Those tests are very accurate. They're not wrong.

BEN: What, do you want it to be right? You want Adrian to be having my baby?

ALICE: I want you to not be duped into thinking she's not having your baby if she is, and if she is, the sooner you find out, the better because the earlier the better when it comes to making a decision about terminating pregnancy or even when it comes to taking care of a pregnancy. You need to know.

BEN: I do know.

ALICE: You're only going by what she told you.

BEN: Well, what else can I go by?

ALICE: The test.

BEN: And what, do you want me to ask her to take a second test?

ALICE: Good idea.

BEN: I can't do that? I'm not going to do that. As far as I'm concerned, this chapter in my life is closed, and I'm opening a new chapter with Amy. I saw her last night. We're back together, and tonight we're celebrating.

HENRY: Then I really hope Adrian is not pregnant.

BEN: She's not. Come on, let's go. This is the first day of the rest of my life with Amy Juergens, and we're going to be a family, the family we should've been all along.

ALICE: Unless he has another family.

ADRIAN'S HOUSE

Adrian comes to the kitchen, Ruben is already here.

RUBEN: Hey, coffee?

ADRIAN: Oh, thanks. I guess I've got time.

RUBEN: Got another long day today so I won't be home until late. What are you going to do for dinner?

ADRIAN: I don't know, pick something up. Uh, do you know when Mom's coming home?

RUBEN: End of the week. You need something? Anything I can do?

ADRIAN: No, I was just wondering.

RUBEN: If you're wondering because neither of us every goes to the grocery store, let me give you some money in case you want to pick up some real food. I might want something other than pizza for breakfast tomorrow.

ADRIAN: What's wrong with pizza for breakfast? I think it's better the next day.

RUBEN: Hmm, well... enjoy. Have a good day.

ADRIAN: Bye. Mmm. Oh, no.

96 00:03:19,568 --> 00:03:21,569 [deep breath]

RICKY'S APARTMENT

Ricky listens his message.

VOICE MAIL: One new message. (Ben)Hey, Ricky. Just wanted to thank you again for last night, for making me go talk to Amy. You have no idea how happy I am being back together with her, so thanks again. (Alice)Here's the research. (Ben)What research? (Alice)On early pregnancy tests. (Ben)I don't need it. Adrian's not pregnant. I went over there and talked to her.

THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER – OPEN CREDITS

JUERGUES' HOUSE

Amy isn't ready, Ashley enters in her bedroom.

ASHLEY: Mom says we're going to be late.

AMY: I'm not speaking to you.

ASHLEY: You just did, but I'm not speaking to you either. That's why I said, "Mom said we're going to be late" as opposed to just, "We're going to be late."

AMY: Why did you have to tell them I'm on birth control pills?

ASHLEY: You know, it just sounded as if you spoke to me although you just said you're not speaking to me.

AMY: Now they're going to suspect that I'm having sex with Ben.

ASHLEY: So what? If you're going to have sex, why don't you just tell the truth for once and say, "Mom, Dad, I'm having sex with Ben."

AMY: Because I'm not.

ASHLEY: Then what do you want the pills for?

AMY: In case I change my mind. What do you want the pills for?

ASHLEY: Same reason. Now let's just go back to not talking. Mom said we're going to be late.

Ashley meets her father in the hall.

GEORGE: Hey, did you make up with your sister like I asked?

ASHLEY: We're talking.

GEORGE: Good.

ASHLEY: What's so good about it?

GEORGE: It gives us the illusion that we're all still a family, a happy family.

ASHLEY: No one's going to believe that, not with Mom refusing to marry you again. Can we just move out again?

GEORGE: No, we're not going anywhere. We're going to make this work.

ASHLEY: Yeah, okay. Well, do you mind if I move out? You can have the garage again. You can have my room.

GEORGE: And just where do you think you would go?

ASHLEY: I think I would go back next door. In fact I think I'm going to go over there right now and get a ride to school, because Amy's still trying to figure out what she's wearing, you know, because she's back with Ben now so she wants to look good.

GEORGE: Why? So he'll want to have sex with her?

ASHLEY: That would be my guess.

George enters in the Amy's bedroom.

GEORGE: Hey, you dressed? I want to talk to you.

AMY: I'm dressed. I'm dressed!

GEORGE: You're not dressed enough. Your shirt's too low, and your skirt's too high. Try again.

AMY: Mom said we were going to be late.

GEORGE: Mom's not even here. She's at the gym.

AMY: Ashley said...She is such a liar. She lies, lies, lies.

GEORGE: And so do you.

AMY: And so do you.

GEORGE: So does your mother, but you know what? We're all going to stop lying. We're a family.

AMY: Yeah, a family of liars.

GEORGE: Well, that's going to stop. Your mother and I have decided we're all going to start having dinner together again every night. We're all going to work our way through this by talking to each other with honesty and respect. Just come straight home from the nursery with John tonight. Dinner's at 6:00. Conversation starts at 6:02.

AMY: I was going to have dinner with Ben tonight. It's our first night back together. He's taking me to dinner, a nice dinner, where people aren't forced to talk to each other.

GEORGE: Invite him over.

AMY: Here? Dad.

GEORGE: Amy.

ADRIAN'S HOUSE

Ashley enters in the house. Adrian isn't ready to go to school.

ASHLEY: Hey, will you mind having me ride to school with you?

ADRIAN: Uh...

ASHLEY: Wait, is that vomit? Who puked?

ADRIAN: I did.

ASHLEY: Oh, no.

ADRIAN: Yeah. Oh, no. Ashley...

ASHLEY: Where are the trash bags?

ADRIAN: Under the sink.

ASHLEY: I'm going to get the pizza out of here.

ADRIAN: Thank you.

ASHLEY: Too bad we don't have any of that stuff the school janitor uses.

ADRIAN: Yeah, I think I'm going to be needing some of that.

ASHLEY: You know, if you want to stay home, I could stay with you.

ADRIAN: Why would you do that?

ASHLEY: Why would I miss school? Are you kidding?

ADRIAN: No, I should go. We should go. We have to go.

ASHLEY: Not if you have the flu. And even if you don't have the flu and you just want to talk, remember I've been through this before with someone else who didn't have the flu.

GRACE'S HOUSE

Grace talks with Jeff.

JEFF: Taken properly, the tests are 99% accurate.

GRACE: That means they're wrong 1% of the time.

JEFF: When the tests are wrong, it usually goes the other way, and the tests come up negative because they haven't picked up an indication of pregnancy from the HCG hormone levels because it's just too early. Look, I'm just telling you this because your mom told me to tell you this. The tests are accurate.

GRACE: Maybe Adrian read it wrong.

JEFF: Hmm, Adrian's a smart girl. I doubt it. Maybe she's not pregnant because she had an abortion.

GRACE: I can't believe you would say that about Adrian.

JEFF: Because?

GRACE: Because I told her not to do that, and I don't think she would do that. I don't like you for saying that about her.

JEFF: Wow.

(Grace leaves, Tommy comes in)

TOM: I took out the garbage cans to the curb. Doctor, next time your turn.

JEFF: I don't mind taking turns doing that, although I do have a job to get to.

TOM: Yeah, yeah.

JEFF: Hey, you know what I was thinking? You should think about getting a job.

TOM: In this economy?

JEFF: You did have a job at one point, right?

TOM: I did.

JEFF: And?

(Kathleen enters in the kitchen)

TOM: You tell him.

KATHLEEN: What?

JEFF: What happened to his job?

KATHLEEN: Oh, they don't provide anger management classes to part-time employees. Yeah, some guy made some rude comment to some woman they were working with, and Tom punched him. It was a really rude comment.

JEFF: Well, then, good for Tom for punching people at work.

KATHLEEN: You think?

JEFF: No.

KATHLEEN: Oh, how did it go with Grace?

JEFF: Do you want her to hate me?

KATHLEEN: No.

JEFF: All right, then from now on, you talk to her. Okay? I'll see you later.

KATHLEEN: Okay.

HIGH SCHOOL

Ben, Alice and Henry arrive in the high school.

BEN: So where should I take Amy for dinner?

HENRY: Wings, dude. That's where it all began.

BEN: No, I want to take her to some place nicer than that.

ALICE: I hate to bring this up now, but before you go there tonight, I think maybe you should tell Grace that you and Amy are back together.

BEN: I thought about telling her, but I was having such a good day yesterday.

257 00:09:42,499 --> 00:09:43,666 I didn't want to ruin it.

ALICE: You mean with something like the truth?

BEN: Yeah. Look, I thought about it, but why put myself through that and put her through that? We weren't together anyway, so I'd just be calling her to say that we're never going to be together. That seems wrong.

ALICE: No, it doesn't. You know Grace wants you to be more than a friend.

HENRY: Yeah, but with Grace Bowman that doesn't necessarily mean sex. With her it's friends with limited benefits.

ALICE: Are you finished, Hank? I suggest you do right by Grace because I think that you and Adrian might still have a problem, a kind of problem that Amy is not going to overlook.

BEN: Would you drop it? Adrian and I have been friends for a long time, and she didn't hide anything from me before, so why would she try to hide anything from me now? And don't answer that because this is the end of the discussion.

Ben goes away and meets Grace in the hall.

BEN: Just the person I was looking for.

GRACE: Uh-huh. Were you going to tell me that you were over at Amy's last night? Adrian saw you, you and Ricky.

BEN: Why don't we go out and see your car? I have something I need to tell you.

GRACE: Is it worth going out to my car for?

BEN: Well, no, I guess I can tell you here.

GRACE: You and Amy are back together, and it's going to be better than ever.

BEN: I'm sorry. I really do like you, Grace, but Amy and I have so much history together, and I really want our relationship to be better than ever so I hope we can make it work this time. And as stupid as it sounds, I hope that you and I can still be friends.

GRACE: I understand. I'm disappointed, but I understand. And you know what? We are friends, and as your friend I really do want you to be happy because you deserve to be happy, especially after everything Adrian put you through, and I really think she should've found out what the situation was first before she scared you like that.

BEN: No, I think she did the right thing in coming to me. If she was scared, I deserve to be scared, too.

GRACE: See, you're such a nice guy. Nice guys are so hard to find. Amy's really lucky, you know, other than getting pregnant. Anyway, have you seen Adrian this morning? Because I called her and texted her and nothing. Do you have any idea where she is or what's going on with her? I hope she's okay.

BEN: No, I haven't seen her, but I hope she's okay, too.

GRACE: If she's not okay and you want to talk, feel free to call me, OK? Bye.

Ricky enters in the high school, Jack comes to him.

JACK: Who you looking for?

RICKY: Why do you want to know?

JACK: Just making conversation.

RICKY: Why?

JACK: Here's the thing.

RICKY: Oh, no.

JACK: My dad got a new job. He and my mom are moving. We live in a house that belongs to the church so I kind of need a place to...

RICKY: No. I have my kid, and I don't need another one.

JACK: It would just be for a year, and I'm not a kid. All right? I'm a responsible guy. I could help out around the house. It's not like you'd be looking out for me or anything.

RICKY: I don't want a roommate, and even if I did, I can't have a roommate. I just got shared custody. I had to to fight for that. I'm not going to screw that up.

JACK: All right, well, can I just say you said that I could live there?

RICKY: What good would that do?

JACK: If my parents think I have a place to stay, then my dad can accept the job, and they'll take off.

RICKY: Yeah, I guess you could do that.

JACK: All right.

RICKY: Where are you really going to stay?

JACK: I don't know. I'll find some place. I'm not worried. Thanks.

Grant and Griffin are here.

GRANT: Hey, look who's here. Me.

RICKY: You're going to school here now?

GRANT: Not now. Next fall. Have you seen Ashley?

RICKY: No. But you stay away from her.

(Ricky leaves)

GRIFFIN: Ouch.

GRANT: Told you he has a thing for her.

GRIFFIN: No, he doesn't, and even if he does, she doesn't have a thing for him, and you know what? She doesn't have a thing for you either, so transferring her would be a big mistake. I'm telling you, Ashley's not going to be happy about this, and she really hates surprises.

GRANT: We can get past that, and what choice do I have? If I ask, she'll just say no. She's got a whole summer to get used to the idea, so if she's not happy now, she'll be happy later, and I don't mean that in a stalker kind of way. Ashley needs me.

GRIFFIN: She doesn't need you. She doesn't need anyone, and that's both her strength and her weakness, and you can't be hanging around me all the time because people are going to start thinking that we're not just cousins, that we're kissing cousins, and I'm trying to get a boyfriend.

GRANT: How you gonna get a boyfriend hanging out with my future girlfriend?

GRIFFIN: She's not your future girlfriend, but she is my current friend, and if you come here, you're going to have to make some friends of your own.

GRANT: Thought you had a boyfriend. Who was the guy at the wedding?

GRIFFIN: Oh, no, he's just a friend, a friend with a lot of tough stuff going on in his life, and he needed to get out.

GRANT: He's not out?

GRIFFIN: Outside.

GRANT: Oh.

GRIFFIN: Why can't you just stay at your school?

GRANT: Because my school doesn't have Ashley.

GRIFFIN: Why did I do this to myself?

HIGH SCHOOL/ADRIAN'S HOUSE

Ricky calls Ashley.

RICKY(at phone): Where are you? Why aren't you at school?

ASHLEY(at phone): Because I didn't feel like coming in today.

RICKY(at phone): Why not?

ASHLEY(at phone): Because I felt like taking the day off.

RICKY(at phone): Why is that? Why today?

ASHLEY(at phone): Why not today?

RICKY(at phone): Don't you want to see your boyfriend? Your boyfriend's here.

ASHLEY(at phone): Boyfriend? What boyfriend?

RICKY(at phone): Oh, I'm sorry, not boyfriend. Companion.

ASHLEY(at phone): Who are you talking about?

RICKY(at phone): That Grant guy.

ASHLEY(at phone): He's at school?

RICKY(at phone):Yeah, this school.

ASHLEY(at phone): Well, this is the first I've heard of this.

RICKY(at phone): Where are you anyway?

ADRIAN'S HOUSE

Adrian comes back the toilets, she enters in her bedroom.

ADRIAN: Ashley. Who was that?

ASHLEY: It was Ricky. He was just letting me know Amy's looking for me.

ADRIAN: Why would Ricky call you? Why didn't Amy call you?

ASHLEY: I told you we're not speaking to each other.

ADRIAN: Oh, yeah, I forgot.

ASHLEY: You're still in love with Ricky, aren't you?

ADRIAN: No, I'm really not. I can't let myself be in love with Ricky anymore. Being in love with Ricky is what got me where I am today. Might even hate Ricky.

HIGH SCHOOL

Amy enters in the office of the adviser.

AMY: You wanted to see me?

COUNSELLOR: Sit down, Miss Juergens.

AMY: If this is about Ashley, I don't know where she is. She said she was going to get a ride in with Adrian.

COUNSELLOR: She called. Adrian's car is on the fritz, and they're waiting for AAA, but that's not what this is about. Have a seat. I have something very exciting to tell you, some life-changing news. You don't get it, do you?

AMY: No.

COUNSELLOR: “It's up to you, New York, New York”

AMY: I just really need to talk to Ben, Ben Boykewich. We're supposed to go out tonight. It's our first time going out in a really, really long time, and my dad won't let me go. He wants Ben to come over for dinner instead.

COUNSELLOR: Oh , that is really important. Do you want me to announce that over the P.A.? Uh...Ben Boykewich, Amy Juergens cannot go to dinner, but you can come to her house for dinner. Please contact her immediately. Then your personal life will be taken care of, and we can get back to school business.

AMY: What does New York have to do with school business?

COUNSELLOR: You, Amy Juergens, have been invited to attend a four-week, all expenses paid, program for young musicians at the Nabokoff School For Music this summer in New York Can you believe it? I saw this summer program for young women, and I know you really want to go to Juilliard some day, and, well, this is the first step. You can go to Nabokoff...this summer for four weeks. New York, whoo!

AMY: This some kind of, like, cruel joke or something? You know I can't go to New York. I have a baby.

COUNSELLOR: And that baby has a daddy and a grandfather and a grandmother, two grandfathers, two grandmothers, and an aunt.

AMY: It doesn't matter.

COUNSELLOR: It does matter, Amy. It totally matters. This is four weeks that could change your life.

AMY: I can't change my life. Maybe I don't even want to change my life. Maybe I want to stay right here this summer and try to make things work out with Ben. I love Ben. Oh, my God. New York?

Amy announces the news to her friends.

MADISON How did you get that?

AMY: How did I get that? It's not easy to play a French horn. I've been practicing for years. Dr. Bink heard about the program, and Mr. Sedlack gave her a DVD of my solo I'm learning.

LAUREN: Are those two, Sedlack and Bink, You know?

AMY: No. No, I don't think so. Doesn't matter. This is really amazing. I mean, of course I can't go, but still, just to even get the offer.

LAUREN: Why can't you go?

AMY: Uh, John.

LAUREN: Take him with you? You were going to take him to Italy when you wanted to go with Ben.

AMY: I was an idiot then.

MADISON: That was last summer.

AMY: Yeah, I know, but still...I mean, I'm a responsible mother now. I can't just take John with me to New York. I'd be living in a dorm, going to school all day, and I have a job here. I can't go.

(Ricky joins girls)

RICKY: Can't go where?

AMY: Hi, Ricky.

LAUREN: Bye.

MADISON: Bye.

(Madison and Lauren go away)

RICKY: Where you going?

AMY: I'm not going anywhere, but I did get an offer to go to a summer music program in New York, which would lead to Juilliard, It's the Nabokoff School Of Music.

RICKY: No kidding. That's pretty impressive.

AMY: Yeah.

RICKY: I guess I could keep John, but I just pushed Ben to go back with you, so you probably shouldn't just take off.

AMY: You pushed Ben? What does that mean?

RICKY: Well, I mean, he was hesitating for whatever reason, and I encouraged him to go back with you, and if it doesn't work out, feel free to blame it on me.

AMY: This time it'll work out.

RICKY: Well, if it doesn't.

AMY: It will.

RICKY: I hope so.

AMY: Why change since last night?

RICKY: No. Congratulations on getting the offer, and my condolences on not being able to accept. What time am I picking up John tonight?

AMY: Ben and I aren't going out tonight. My dad won't let me, so I'm going to ask Ben to have dinner with my stupid family. Why can't I just take off? Ben took off last summer.

RICKY: And how did that turn out?

AMY: It's not Bologna. It's New York. Doesn't matter. I'm not going. I'm not even going to dinner tonight. I just have to find Ben and tell him.

RICKY: You looking for Ben?

AMY: I'm looking for Ben.

Ben comes and Ricky leaves.

RICKY: Don't be late for work.

BEN: I've been looking for you everywhere.

AMY: I'm sorry. I found out I got into the summer music program in New York. I was in the counselor's office and then I had to go see Mr. Sedlack and then--

BEN: Summer music program in New York? Wow. Congratulations.

AMY: Of course I'm not going. I can't, but...

BEN: I'm sorry. I know how tough it must be for you to keep having to pass up opportunities, but you're such a good mother.

AMY: Yeah, um, about that, about being a mother and part of a family, my dad won't let us go out tonight. He and my mother have this stupid idea that we're all going to start eating together again every night so we can, like, bond or something, but you're invited.

BEN: I'd love to come.

AMY: You don't have to. Really, it's going to be awful. Ashley and I aren't even speaking to each other.

BEN: What's new? Amy, I love your family, and I want to be a part of your family just like I want you to be a part of my family because some day I hope that you and I are a family.

AMY: Me, too. Some day.

BEN: So what time's dinner?

AMY: 6:00.

BEN: I'll come straight after work.

AMY: Me, too. See you then.

GRACE'S HOUSE

Grace backs home. Her mother is here.

KATHLEEN: Hi.

GRACE: Ben broke up with me.

KATHLEEN: Broke up with you?

GRACE: Yeah, today at school. Are those my jeans?

KATHLEEN: No.

GRACE: Those look like my jeans.

KATHLEEN: They're not your jeans. Now, go back to Ben. Honey, what happened with Ben? I didn't know you considered the two of you to be together. I thought you were just friends.

GRACE: You knew we wanted to be more than friends.

KATHLEEN: No, I really didn't. I thought that maybe you might want to find a guy who, well, I don't know, didn't have any possibility of being pregnant with your best friend.

GRACE: There's no possibility. Just because your stupid husband's a doctor and a gynecologist doesn't mean he knows everything about pregnancy. He doesn't know anything about Adrian or her womb.

(Jack knocks on door)

GRACE: What is he doing here?

KATHLEEN: Grace Bowman.

(Grace opens the door)

GRACE: Just because Ben broke up with me does not mean I'm every going to go out with you again.

JACK: Of course not. May I come in? Hi, Mrs. Bowman. Is it still Mrs. Bowman?

KATHLEEN: Zegay, Mrs. Zegay.

GRACE: When did that happen?

KATHLEEN: When I got married.

JACK: Congratulations on that.

KATHLEEN: Thank you, Jack.

JACK: So how are the cabinets working? Do you need me to tighten them up or anything?

KATHLEEN: No. They're working just fine. Thank you. Jack, why don't you sit down? And Grace will get you something to drink, and I'll let the two of you guys talk.

JACK: Actually I wanted to talk to you.

GRACE: To her? About what?

KATHLEEN: Grace is upset because I'm wearing her jeans.

GRACE: I knew those were my jeans.

KATHLEEN: You gave them away. I kept them. Sorry, Jack. So what was it? What was going on?

JACK: My dad's leaving the church.

KATHLEEN: On his own will?

JACK: Yeah, yeah.

GRACE: Why?

JACK: He got offered a job teaching philosophy at his alma mater, so he and my mom want to move to Phoenix, but they can't unless I find a place to live my senior year.

GRACE: You can't live here.

KATHLEEN: Grace. Well, you can't, but she shouldn't say it like that. It's just that, well, you know I'm a newlywed, and we're trying to bond here as a family right now. I don't really think it will work out and oh, and you had sex with Grace, and Tom hates you.

JACK: I guess that about covers it.

KATHLEEN: Yeah, but, well, you're more than welcome to stay for dinner.

GRACE: Thank you.

ADRIAN'S HOUSE

Ashley talks with Adrian in the kitchen.

ASHLEY: Oh, I love this. My mom's next door cooking and cleaning house and looking after Robbie, and I'm right over the fence skipping school and eating ice cream. This is the best school day I've ever had in my life.

ADRIAN: You know you're going to get in trouble.

ASHLEY: Yeah, I know. I don't care. I think it's worth it. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. And, besides, if I get busted, then that'll give us something to talk about at that family dinner. If the dinner's unpleasant enough, then maybe we won't have to have dinner together every night.

ADRIAN: You know what, Ashley? You're fearless.

ASHLEY: Yeah, so are you.

ADRIAN: No, I'm more dangerous than fearless, but the thing we have in common is that neither of us really cares what anyone thinks.

ASHLEY: Yeah, that's true. I really don't care what anyone thinks as long as I feel like I'm doing the right thing.

ADRIAN: Yeah. Yeah, that's right. You know what? If people find out that I was pregnant or later find out that I had an abortion, I can live with that. Maybe that's what I have to do. That's what's best for me. I have to do what's best for me.

ASHLEY: And it's really no one else's business except for maybe Ben's. Should you tell Ben?

ADRIAN: Ben doesn't want to know. Ben just wants to be with your sister. And you know what? That's what's best for Ben, so I'm not going to get in his way. Besides, Ben doesn't know about things like this. He's a rich kid. He's been totally protected his whole life from anything messy like this. I mean, he's a nice guy. He's a romantic guy, but I don't think he can deal with reality, not this kind of reality, not without suffering the rest of his life. When I saw how heartbroken he was, when that test was positive, I knew that I couldn't just continue to include him in this nightmare. He can't handle it. It would break him.

ASHLEY: I don't know. I mean, he went to the clinic with Amy when you drove them, when she was thinking about abortion.

ADRIAN: That wasn't his baby.

ASHLEY: Oh, right.

ADRIAN: And I don't need him to go with me. I'm going to tell my mother. My mother will go with me. I dread telling her. I know she'll be upset. I don't know if she'll understand. Thanks, Ashley. Thanks for being here with me today.

(Ricky knocks on door)

ADRIAN: Uh-oh.

ASHLEY: You want me to get rid of him?

ADRIAN: Oh, God. No, I'll get rid of him. You mind waiting for me upstairs?

(Adrian opens the door to Ricky)

RICKY: Are you pregnant?

(Adrian shakes her head)

BUTCHERY

Ben tidies pasta.

MAN: Thank you.

BUNNY: What are you doing?

BEN: Alphabetizing the pasta, from angel hair to ziti.

BUNNY: That screams busy work. If you need busy work, I'll give you busy work.

BEN: I'm just trying to make time go by quickly because I'm going to Amy's tonight. I've never been to Amy's house for dinner, so it's kind of like I'm... part of the family.

BUNNY: In that case, let me help you with that. Put them back how they were for the last 50 years, in size order, from risotto to lasagna.

BEN: Oh, I didn't realize.

Ricky joins Ben.

RICKY: That's what you're doing? Trying to make the time go fast till you can get to Amy's? Or do you have something on your mind that you're trying to forget?

BEN: Like?

RICKY: I don't know. You tell me.

BEN: I don't know.

RICKY: You want to tell me anything?

BEN: Uh, I don't think so.

RICKY: Are you sure?

BEN: No. Do you want to tell me anything? Because I'm sensing that there's something on your mind.

RICKY: What's going on with you and Adrian?

BEN: All right, you know. I don't know how you know, but you know. We thought she was pregnant, but she's not. I guess I should've told you, but it didn't seem like it was really any of your business or anyone's business except mine and Adrian's.

RICKY: Shouldn't you have told me when I was trying to get you and Amy back together?

BEN: You did get us back together, and no because I wanted to get back with Amy, and Adrian's not pregnant, so why shouldn't Amy and I get back together?

RICKY: Ben, Adrian is pregnant.

BEN: No, she's not.

RICKY: Yes, she is, and if she told you she isn't, she lied.

BEN: Shut up. You don't know anything.

RICKY: Ben, I know Adrian.

RICKY: Yes, I do, and Adrian is pregnant, Ben. She is. Neither you nor Adrian may want that to be true, but it is true.

BEN: She's not.

RICKY: I'm your friend, Ben. Listen to me.

RICKY: All right. Maybe you can't hear me right now, but if you need me, let me know.

BEN: Jerk.

JUERGUES' HOUSE

George comes back.

GEORGE: Hey, what's for dinner?

ANNE: Butternut squash. You want some?

GEORGE: No, I mean for us, the family.

ANNE: Oh, I don't know. Chinese?

GEORGE: What happened to the family dinner? I thought we were going to start having family dinners again?

ANNE: Not tonight.

GEORGE: Well, tonight. I told Amy she can't go to dinner with Ben tonight because we're having dinner tonight, together as a family.

ANNE: Well, then you should've said something to me.

GEORGE: Should've said something to you? You're the one who said we're going to start having family dinners.

ANNE: You said that. I didn't mean tonight.

GEORGE: Yeah, but you didn't specify that it wasn't tonight either, so I took control. You never think I do anything to try to make us more of a family so I made a decision.

ANNE: Well, then you should've let me in on the decision, especially if you expected me to cook the dinner, so that way in between doing laundry and housekeeping and running to the bank and changing diapers and walking your dog, then I could've gone to the market as well. You know, if you want us to be more of a family, then you cook the dinner or make the call. You order in Chinese.

GEORGE: Why don't I order in English? It'll get here faster.

ANNE: Very funny. Just order the food, and we'll all eat Chinese in the dining room together, one big happy family.

GEORGE: Fine.

ANNE: Fine.

GEORGE: I told Amy she could invite Ben.

ANNE: Well, he's not part of the family, not yet anyway. I mean, I don't are if he comes over, but I thought the whole idea of a family dinner is that we all bond together as a family.

GEORGE: Well, I invited him, so we'll bond around him. I'll call China Palace.

Ashley is back too.

ANNE: Hello, Ashley. How was school today?

GEORGE: How did you get home?

ASHLEY: I walked.

GEORGE: Your mother asked you how school was.

ASHLEY: Awesome. I learned so much I feel like my head's going to explode.

ANNE: Mm-hmm. I know. I saw you over at Adrian's.

GEORGE: Yeah, she went over there to get a ride. She and Amy aren't speaking.

ANNE: Yeah, I know that, but did you also know that she and Adrian did not go to school today?

ASHLEY: What? We didn't go to school?

GEORGE: Huh?

ANNE: Yeah, I saw you over at Adrian's all day long, Ashley.

ASHLEY: Really? You didn't come and get me?

ANNE: Nope, and you want to know why?

ASHLEY: I don't know if I care.

GEORGE: Why?

ANNE: Because Ashley thinks that she's all grown up. She thinks that she's old enough to make all of her own decisions about boys and sex and birth control, so you know what? That means that she's old enough to be responsible for everything else in her life, school included, so if she doesn't go to school and she gets in trouble, we're not bailing her out, and if she doesn't make good grades and doesn't get into college, it's her problem.

ASHLEY: She's my new favorite.

(Ashley leaves)

GEORGE: What the hell are you doing? You trying to be the cool mom now?

ANNE: I'm trying to be a better mom.

GEORGE: Well, it doesn't sound as if you're being a mom at all. She doesn't have to go to school?

ANNE: She'll go.

GEORGE: Have you lost your mind?

George catches Ashley.

GEORGE: Hey, stop right there, young lady. I'm not talking to your back. I don't care who your favorite is.

ASHLEY: Sorry.

GEORGE: I'm not your favorite? Really? Fine, I don't care. Be that way, but you not get to make decisions, like whether or not you're going to school, at 15. Birth control is one thing. Education is another. Birth control is an option. School is not an option. You got that?

ASHLEY: But mom just said I could decide.

GEORGE: You can't just split up the parents and go with whichever one tells you the thing you want to hear.

ASHLEY: Then you should've let me know that years ago.

GEORGE: I'm letting you know that right now.

ASHLEY: Maybe you should let Mom know that.

GEORGE: You're not the boss of me or your mother or anyone.

ASHLEY: I'm the boss of me. Mom just said so. Jeez.

GRACE'S HOUSE

The family diners.

KATHLEEN: That was Jeff. He's still at the hospital, so I guess we can just eat in here.

JACK: Thank you for letting me stay.

KATHLEEN: For dinner.

JACK: For dinner.

TOM: Well, well, well, well, Parents move off and leave you, huh?

JACK: Not yet.

KATHLEEN: Hey, Tom, can you run up and tell your sister Jeff's going to be late so we can go ahead and eat now?

TOM: Make yourself useful. You know the way.

(Jack leaves)

KATHLEEN: Would you be nice, please?

TOM: Who's not being nice? Not me.

Jack joins Grace in her bedroom.

JACK: Your mom says we can eat now.

GRACE: Can you come in? I want to ask you something.

GRACE: Do you think there's any chance that Adrian could be lying, and do you think she could be pregnant?

JACK: Is there any chance that Adrian would lie? Is that what you're asking? If Adrian is capable of telling a lie?

GRACE: No, I know she's capable of telling a lie, but why would she tell me she's pregnant and then lie about not being pregnant?

JACK: I would assume because she plans to get an abortion, and she knows from past conversations that you wouldn't be supportive of that.

GRACE: She wasn't at school today.

JACK: Can I sit next to you on this-- this bed?

GRACE: Yeah, I guess.

JACK: Grace, I heard Adrian wasn't at school, but no one is thinking she's pregnant or off getting an abortion. People don't know. Maybe people shouldn't know. Maybe we shouldn't know. If that's what Adrian did today, then it's over. It's between her and God. It's not for us to judge. I really believe that.

GRACE: So we're too late?

JACK: Maybe. I mean, if she did lie and she was pregnant and she did get an abortion, but we don't know that that's what happened, and if she wants to tell us that that's what happened, then she'll tell us, and if she doesn't tell us, then we leave it at that. Maybe some day she will. I think, in the meantime, all we can do is be there for her and not be judgmental so that if one day she wants to talk about it, she'll talk about it, and if she doesn't, she doesn't. I think that's the best way to be a friend to her now. This okay?

GRACE: Yeah, I guess.

JUERGUES' HOUSE

Anne and George prepares diner.

ANNE: Look, even if you and I want to argue about everything else in our lives, we still need to be on the same page when it comes to Amy and Ashley.

GEORGE: And Robbie.

ANNE: And Robbie.

GEORGE: You forgot about Robbie.

ANNE: No, I did not forget about Robbie.

GEORGE: And the dog. You forgot about Moose.

ANNE: Don't be ridiculous.

GEORGE: Who's being ridiculous? You told Ashley she doesn't have to go to school.

ANNE: No, I told her that it was her responsibility to go to school. It's against the law for her not to go to school.

GEORGE: And who do you think would get in trouble for breaking that law, her or us?

ANNE: She's going to go to school.

(Ashley heart)

ASHLEY: What's the penalty?

GEORGE: You don't want to find out, young lady. What is the penalty?

ANNE: I don't know. I think they just make you go to school.

GEORGE: That's our job. She was next door all day, and you saw her and you just let her stay over there with Adrian. Adrian's a bad influence.

ANNE: You're the one that sold the house to her parents. Oh, I get it. You're doing this to get back at me. You're still mad about Cindy.

ANNE: No, I'm not... or I wasn't. Thanks for bringing it up.

(Amy is back too with John)

AMY: Guess what.

ANNE: What?

GEORGE: What?

AMY: Something going on?

ASHLEY: You might want to take John in the nursery unless you want him to learn some new words.

AMY: Where were you today?

ASHLEY: Apparently that's no one's business but mine.

AMY: What's she talking about?

ANNE: Nothing, Amy. What is it that you want to tell us?

AMY: Chinese food? Takeout? I invited Ben.

GEORGE: Maybe you should un-invite him.

AMY: I'll be right back.

(She leaves)

GEORGE: Maybe we should move out again, Ashley and me.

ASHLEY: No thanks.

ANNE: Why would she want to move out? She's practically got her own apartment here. It's a great place to have sex, don't you think?

GEORGE: It's my fault she wants to have sex because I turned the garage into a room for her?

ANNE: Oh, and you got her birth control pills. Don't forget the birth control pills.

AMY: Would you two please stop fighting. It's my first night back with Ben, and I want it to be special, the dinner I would've had if I went out with Ben.

GEORGE: Isn't this a school night? Why is your first concern dinner and Ben? Don't you have any homework?

ASHLEY: Oh, and if you do, Amy, it's up to you whether or not you do it. Those are the new rules.

AMY: What?

ANNE: Those are not the new rules.

(knock on door)

BEN: Hi, Amy.

AMY: Hi.

BEN: Hi.

GEORGE: Yeah.

ANNE: Hi.

ASHLEY: And so it begins.

Everybody are in the table but nobody talks.

BEN: Can it keep track of your mileage, running times, Oh, goodness, look at the time... 6:15. I better get going.

AMY: I'll walk you out.

BEN: Thanks. The dinner was delicious. I loved the General So's chicken

GEORGE: We'll let him know.

BEN: Good night.

ANNE: Good night.

Amy accompanies back Ben to the door.

AMY: I'm so sorry.

BEN: Oh, no-no, that's okay. I don't mind eating in silence, especially after all the screaming.

AMY: This is so embarrassing.

BEN: Hey, this is something we'll probably laugh about in years to come. And you know what, Amy? All families argue, maybe not as enthusiastically as this one, but families argue, my family, too, and we will, too, because all families have problems, and all families find a way of working through their problems, and that's how they stay together. They find a way, and there's always

a way, always.

AMY: Do we have a problem?

BEN: Do we have a problem? What?

AMY: I don't know. Just something about the way you said that, like you wanted me to know something.

BEN: No, I just want you to know that I love you.

AMY: I love you, too.

BEN: And I'll always love you no matter what.

AMY: Okay, what does that mean? Why are you saying that?

BEN: Well, just because that's what people say, but I will always love you. Good night, Amy.

AMY: Good night.

Amy goes back in the living room. Only Ashley is here.

AMY: I...I got accepted into a summer program at the Nabokoff School Of Music in New York. Help me get into Juilliard.

ASHLEY: You should go.

BOYKEWICH'S HOUSE

Ben goes home.

LEO: Hey, there you are. I was just leaving you a note. The flight got in early, and Betty and I want to have dinner with you.

BEN: Oh, uh, well, welcome back, but I just had dinner with Amy and her family at their house.

LEO: And you're back at 6:30?

BEN: Yeah, they eat early.

LEO: I'll say. Something bad happen at dinner?

BEN: Huh?

LEO: You look like there's something wrong.

BEN: Well, kind of, but you go to dinner with Betty, and we can talk when you get back. This can wait.

LEO: Oh, I've got time. Tell me what's going on. Oh, come on. How bad can it be?

BEN: Bad.

LEO: Ben, whatever it is, you can tell me. I'm your dad. I love you. You wrecked the car? You had a little party? Somebody broke a lamp? Oh, come on, Ben. I can't picture you ever doing anything so bad you couldn't tell me. There's nothing you can do that can't be fixed somehow, someway.

BEN: It's funny you say that because that's...that's kind of what I'm afraid of. That this is going to get fixed somehow, someday. Adrian's pregnant...and it's my baby.

End of the episode.