04x03 - The Cold Turkey

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

04x03 - The Cold Turkey

Post by bunniefuu »

THE OC

4x03: The Cold Turkey

Original Airdate: 11/09/06

Written by: J.J. Philbin

Directed by: Michael Lange

Transcribed exclusively for TVTDB.com

INT. COEN HOUSE - SANDY'S BEDROOM

(Sandy and Kirsten are sitting in their bedroom, talking.)

KISTEN: He hasn't spoken to us in days.

SANDY: Well us he can ignore. When Ryan doesn't speak to Seth, that's when I start to worry.

KISTEN: It's like he's turning into an island.

SANDY: Yeah. Right in the path of Hurricane Julie.

INT. COEN HOUSE - POOL HOUSE

(Ryan is on the phone to Julie.)

RYAN: Ever since we got back from Mexico, things haven't been the same.

JULIE: Tell me about it. I've been banned from your house. Your parents have been mad at me before...

(Cut back to: Kirsten and Sandy in their bedroom.)

KIRSTEN: It's never been this bad. We're excluding her from Thanksgiving.

SANDY: Well, when you send our kids on a m*rder mission, you get knocked off the guest list. House rules.

(Sandy kisses Kirsten on the forehead.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - SETH'S BEDROOM

(Seth is on the phone to Summer. He leaves a message.)

SETH: Hey Summer, just calling to say happy Thanksgiving. Well, I use the term happy loosely. It's actually shaping out to be kind of an awkward Thanksgiving.

(Cut to Summer in her room, listening to Seth leaving his message. She pulls out a book from a shelf and a group photo of her, Marissa, Ryan and Seth falls to the floor. She picks it up and looks at it.)

SETH: Thing is Ryan and I have never been in a fight before. But I've got a feeling things'll blow over today, 'cause they have to. It's Thanksgiving.

(Summer erases Seth's message.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - KITCHEN

(Sandy and Kirsten walk to the kitchen.)

SANDY: It's Thanksgiving. Now you just watch, this family's gonna come together for the holidays. That's what we Coens do. (Ryan and Seth walk into the kitchen.) Hey.

SETH: Hey.

RYAN: Hey.

(Long ,uncomfortable pause.)

KRSTEN: Coffee?

RYAN: Sure.

(Long pause. They all watch the coffee filtering through the coffee maker.)

SANDY: Should be ready any second. (Sandy's cellphone rings.) Oh, I hate to miss this spirit of discussion, but I gotta take this. Hello? (Sandy walks into an adjacent room.) Uh huh. Where are you?

(Cut back to the kitchen. Long pause.)

KIRSTEN: OK, enough of this! No more tip-toeing, no more silences, it is Thanksgiving and this family is gonna get over what happened and move on with their lives.

SETH: I don't know if it's that easy.

KIRSTEN: No one said it was gonna be easy, but this family is gonna work together and make Thanksgiving dinner. You two, grocery store, together.

SETH: I've got to pick up Summer...

KIRSTEN: You can go before. List, here. (She hands Seth a shopping list.) And when you get back, we're gonna cook this bird together. (Sandy walks back into the kitchen.) Including you. No surfing, no golf.

SANDY: You got it. I do have to go to the office...

KIRSTEN: Sandy...

SANDY: But I'll only be gone a few hours, and when I'm back I'm all yours.

KIRSTEN: Great. Now you can all change and wash up. But you report for duty in one hour.

(Seth and Ryan walk leave the kitchen. Sandy follows Ryan.)

SANDY: Ryan, are you gonna be OK? 'Cause if you can't put your anger about Volchok aside, even for today, then there's no point to any of this.

RYAN: No I'm not angry. I... I just wish he was dead, that's all.

(Ryan leaves the house and walks back over to the pool house. Sandy pulls out his cellphone and dials a number.)

SANDY: It's me. Are you still there?

(Cut to the beach. Volchok is at a payphone.)

VOLCHOK: Yeah. I'm here.

TITLE THEME

EXT. NEWPORT BEACH

(Volchok is standing by the beach, visibly impatient. Sandy pulls up in his car. Volchok walks over to him and gets in the car.)

VOLCHOK: Thanks for coming. To be honest with you, I didn't know where else to go. Hitched a ride into town, slept on the beach last night...

SANDY: I'm not your friend, I'm your lawyer, and I'll help you get through this. But the less you talk, the better. Alright?

(Volchok nods.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - SETH'S BEDROOM

(Seth walks into his bedroom.)

SETH: I brought you a bagel.

(Taylor appears from under his bed.)

TAYLOR: A bagel? I asked for an egg-white omelette and some cantaloupe.

SETH: Taylor, I said you could hide out in my room for a couple of days, I did not say there would be room service.

(Taylor gets out from underneath the bed.)

TAYLOR: Seth, one day when I'm no longer sleeping under your bed you're gonna miss me.

SETH: And when will that be, 'cause you kinda made it sound like this was a temporary thing.

TAYLOR: I know. I know, you think it would be healthier for me to confront my fear and face my mom.

SETH: More like Summer's coming home and I was hoping we could get it on up here. You understand.

TAYLOR: Right, of course. You guys need alone time together. I mean like you said your relationship is just hanging by a thread.

SETH: I didn't say that.

TAYLOR: Really? You didn't? Oh... I must have dreamt it. You know since I've been on the run my dreams have been so vivid. Like last night I dream that G�rard D�pardieu and I were team mates on the Amazing Race.

SETH: Wait, back up. Is this about your trip to Brown last week? Did something happen with Summer?

TAYLOR: No, of course not. No she's still the same old Summer... She might not smell like the same old Summer, but inside she's... she's still the same girl.

SETH: I wouldn't know. I feel like we've barely spoken in weeks.

TAYLOR: Seth, you guys are gonna be fine. Just think, she's on her way here right now.

INT. AIRPORT

(Summer is at the airport. She is talking to her dad on her cellphone.)

SUMMER: I don't think I'm coming.

MR ROBERTS: Listen, I've been looking forward to seeing you. I just got back from Seattle and I've got a lot to tell you.

SUMMER: Tell me now.

MR ROBERTS: No, I want you here. It's Thanksgiving.

SUMMER: Exactly. Millions of turkeys being senselessly slaughtered so us Americans can get even fatter?

MR ROBERTS: I like turkey.

SUMMER: I know you do. I just... I don't think I can support this holiday, you know? I think I'm just gonna sit this one out.

MR ROBERTS: OK, you gonna tell me what's really going on?

SUMMER: Uh, I don't know... I'm just not up for it. (A dog starts barking from inside of Mr Roberts' house.) Is that a dog?

MR ROBERTS: Hold on a second.

INT. ROBERTS HOUSE - KAITLIN'S BEDROOM

(Mr Roberts opens the door to Kaitlin's bedroom. Inside, Kaitlin is sitting on her bed, holding a small dog.)

MR ROBERTS: Kaitlin, what is... what is that thing doing in my house?

KAITLIN: Well nothing now. Although a few minutes ago she kinda took a tinkle in your den.

MR ROBERTS: I want you to get that thing out of here. I want you to take it back wherever you got it.

KAITLIN: Dude, I found her at the pier. And I'm not taking her back. She totally fits in my purse.

MR ROBERTS: Dude, does your mother know that you have this thing?

KAITLIN: Well, yesterday she almost sucked her up in a vaccum. I guess to her the dog is invisible. Like me. Oh, by the way, I think your shoes are cashed.

(Kaitlin hands Mr Roberts a chewed up shoe.)

MR ROBERTS: You're sorry? This was a seven hundred dollar pair of shoes.

KAITLIN: Oh I forgot to ask you, how'd your conference go? (Pause.) Thought so.

(Mr Roberts leaves the bedroom and picks his cellphone back up.)

MR ROBERTS: Sorry about that sweetheart.

SUMMER: Oh, it's alright. Dad, it sounds like you're in the loony bin.

MR ROBERTS: Sometimes, I think I am.

SUMMER (sighing): You need me there, don't you?

MR ROBERTS: Deperately.

SUMMER: Alright, see you in six hours.

MR ROBERTS: Love you.

SUMMER: You too. Bye. (She hangs up.) Crap!

INT. ROBERTS HOUSE - KITCHEN

(Julie is talking to someone on her cellphone.)

JULIE: I know it's Thanksgiving, but you're a private investigator. Can't you find a guy and eat turkey at the same time?

(Mr Roberts walks into the kitchen.)

MR ROBERTS: Julie...

JULIE: Call me back in five will you? (She hangs up. To Mr Roberts) Hi, sorry. Do you want a waffle?

MR ROBERTS: Woah. Slow down. I've been trying to talk to you ever since I got back from my trip. Why don't we spend the morning together? We can go for a walk on the beach. (Julie's cellphone rings. She reaches for it, but Mr Roberts grabs it first.) Maybe without our cellphones.

JULIE: No, Neal, I'm sorry. I have to cook.

MR ROBERTS: You have to cook? I thought we were going to the Coens for dinner.

JULIE: Well we're not. Kirsten's turkey is always dry, and Sandy with his long boring speeches about the importance of family. I'd just as soon eat in.

(Julie opens the refrigerator.)

MR ROBERTS: There's nothing in there.

JULIE: Then I should go to the market. Can I have my cellphone please? (Pause. Mr Roberts hands Julie her cellphone.) Thank you.

MR ROBERTS: We're going to have to talk eventually.

JULIE: Yeah, yeah. After the holidays. Of course.

(Julie walks out of the kitchen.)

INT. GROCERY STORE

(Ryan and Seth are pushing a cart around the grocery store.)

SETH: So, what's next?

RYAN: Parsley.

SETH: Wow, this trip to the grocery store has been a real success. I'm sure silent cart pushing is exactly what my mom envisioned when she sent us here.

RYAN: Well what do you expect? You think we can get over everything just because we're buying parsley?

SETH: It's more than a garnish Ryan. It's a good omen.

RYAN: Yeah...

(Seth spots Julie in a near-by aisle.)

SETH: Speaking of omens...

RYAN: Julie.

JULIE: Ryan.

SETH: Hello Julie. I wanted to thank you for that travel tip. Ensenada turned out to be the perfect vacation spot for the Coens. We may get a timeshare.

JULIE: Save it Seth. I already got the lecture from your dad. Ryan, would you care to join me in the samples?

SETH: I'll get the sweet potatoes.

(Seth walks away. Julie and Ryan walk to the samples area.)

SALESWOMAN: We've got two types of Gouda. This is the ?, and this is the Old Amsterdam.

(Julie takes a piece of cheese and eats it.)

JULIE: It's delicious. (She and Ryan turn their backs to the saleswoman.) So the PI swears he'll have a location for Volchok by Monday.

RYAN: What do we do until then?

JULIE: Just, uh, wait. I guess I'll call you in the morning, we'll make a plan. Until then act normal. (They turn and face the saleswoman.) Thank you.

INT. COEN HOUSE - LIVING ROOM

(Kirsten is using her cellphone.)

KIRSTEN: Hey Sandy, I was just wondering when you were going to be home to help me with... (She walks into the kitchen and sees Taylor eating food.) Oh my God. Taylor, I thought you were in France.

TAYLOR: I am... uh, I was. In fact what am I doing here where gay Paris beckons. Au revoir.

(Taylor rushes out of the kitchen.)

KIRSTEN: Hold on! (Taylor turns around and walks back towards Kirsten.) When a kid is stealing stuffing in my kitchen, that's usually a sign that something's wrong.

TAYLOR: I would talk to you Mrs Coen, but this is simply too private.

KIRSTEN: I'll make you a plate of food.

TAYLOR (smiling): Living room?

INT. GROCERY STORE

JULIE: Ryan, listen. The important thing is Sandy can't suspect us. He needs to feel like we've moved on, that we've let go.

RYAN: Yeah well that's gonna be kinda hard. He knows I haven't given upon Volchok. Kinda got into it this morning.

JULIE: Then you need to go smooth things over. Smile, apologize, lie, whatever it takes. Ryan, you wanna get this son of a bitch just as badly as I do. That's a really hard thing to do with Sandy Coen watching your every move.

RYAN: Alright. I'll stop by his office on the way back.

JULIE: Oh Ryan, one more thing. Do you happen to know how to cook a turkey? (Ryan stares at her blankly.) Never mind.

(Kirsten and Taylor are sitting, talking to each other.)

KIRSTEN: You got married?!

TAYLOR: His name was Henri-Michel, and I met him outside the Place des Vosges. He wooed me for a few whirlwind weeks, and the next thing I knew I was in his family's chapel in Burgundy, tipsy of a 1953 Ch�teau Margot, and vowing to love until death do us part.

KIRSTEN: I can't believe this is happening. Taylor, you're usually so responsible.

TAYLOR: Well needless to say it was une erreur. Now he won't agree to an annulment. He is a stubborn man. Sexy and well endowed, but stubborn. So I came home and... I'm just too afraid to tell my mom now.

KIRSTEN: I've known your mom for a long time. She might be tough, but she's your mom, which means that she loves you no matter what.

TAYLOR: That's so sweet and... totally wrong.

KIRSTEN: Don't you think you're underestimating her?

TAYLOR: No. Oh my God! Oh my God, I just had the best idea. You could tell her. Now that we're like sisters I'm sure you'd be happy to.

KIRSTEN: No, that's your job.

TAYLOR: Bon Dieu, je suis tr�s d�sol�, mais j'ai peur... (Taylor starts crying.)

KIRSTEN: OK. I will talk to her, but I'm not doing your dirty work. I am just gonna put her in the right frame of mind.

TAYLOR: Great! That's great! Uh, she's in charge of the Turkey Trot, that prefixed meal over at the yacht club. She'll be there all afternoon.

KIRSTEN: No, no, I can't do it today. I have a thousand things to do Taylor.

TAYLOR: Mon Dieu, mon coeur est cass�...

KIRSTEN: OK fine! I will talk to her today but you're gonna have to help me cook.

TAYLOR: Oh Kirsten, I will be the best sous-chef ever. You just watch.

INT. AIRPORT

(Summer arrives at the airport. Seth is waiting for her.)

SETH: Hey!

SUMMER: Hi.

SETH: Hey. (They kiss awkwardly. Seth hands Summer a bouquet of roses.) Here, I sprung for roses. The cheapskate in me wanted to get you carnations, but it's a special occasion.

SUMMER: It is?

SETH: Yeah, you're here. And not just for a whirlwind comic book intervention but for an actual visit.

SUMMER: Well it's only for three nights.

SETH: It's longer than you think.

INT. SANDY'S OFFICE

(Sandy is stood behind his desk, talking on the phone. Volchok is sat on the other side of it.)

SANDY: Uh huh. Thanks Greg. (He hangs up and sits down. To Volchok) So, I'm gonna go see the DA, enter your guilty plea, and hopefully we can settle on a charge and a sentence by tonight.

VOLCHOK: So I'll still be doing time...

SANDY: For what you did, yeah, I'd say so.

VOLCHOK: That Seth kid said, um, he said that you would help me.

SANDY: I am helping you. Helping turn you over to the authorities so you can get the punishment you deserve. You made a lot of mistakes. But you turned yourself in, and that was the right thing to do.

VOLCHOK: After a while, being in Mexico and running all the time, it all started to feel like prison anyway.

SANDY: That's guilt for you. Follow you around. But you're here now, so we'll find a hotel room for you while I work things out with Otis.

(Sandy stands and makes his way to the door.)

VOLCHOK: I really appreciate this.

(Volchok stands.)

SANDY: Well listen, the sooner you're off the street, the sooner Ryan can start his life again.

VOLCHOK: Yeah, I just want it all to be over.

SANDY: Oh me too, you have no idea.

(They leave the office.)

EXT. SANDY'S OFFICE

(Ryan walks over to a woman leaving the building that Sandy's office is in.)

RYAN: Excuse me, you know where Sandy Coen's office is?

LAWYER: Uh, yeah it's inside to the left. But you just missed him.

RYAN: Oh, I did?

LAWYER: Yeah, he just left with a client. Poor guy's working on Thanksgiving.

(The woman walks away. Ryan looks sees Sandy's car leaving the parking lot. Inside, he sees Volchok sitting next to Sandy.)

(Kirsten is seasoning the turkey.)

TAYLOR: No. No, no, no Kirsten. Here, let me. (Taylor picks up a small brush and starts brushing the turkey.) You wanna just lightly kiss the bird. Like so.

KIRSTEN: I see. (Ryan appears at the back of the kitchen.) Oh hey Ryan. Did you know Taylor was back in town?

TAYLOR: Hello Ryan! I know, you must be confused as to why I'm here, but in time...

RYAN: Do you know where Sandy is?

KIRSTEN: He called a while ago, he said he had some errands to run.

RYAN: Did he say where he was going?

KIRSTEN: No. Is everything OK?

RYAN: Yeah it's fine. I'll be back later.

(Ryan walks out of the kitchen.)

KIRSTEN: I was hoping that you'd help with dinner...

(Cut to the front door. Seth and Summer enter the house.)

SUMMER: Ok, but only for a little while. My dad needs me back in crazy just.

SETH: Just want you to witness the magic of a Coen family Thanksgiving, even if only for a few moments.

SUMMER: Alright.

SETH: Hey Ryan, look who showed up.

(Ryan rushes past them, obviously distracted.)

RYAN: Hey.

SUMMER: Hey Atwood...

SETH: See there's magic everywhere.

(Seth and Summer walk into the kitchen.)

TAYLOR: Goards. It nees goards.

SUMMER: Hi guys.

KIRSTEN: Hi Summer! Oh it's good to see you!

SUMMER: You too.

(They huy.)

TAYLOR: Welcome home! (They hug.) Oh, did you bathe in a creek.

SETH: Taylor, what are you doing out?

TAYLOR: Oh, um, I came clean to your mom. And now I'm helping her through Thanksgiving.

KIRSTEN: Taylor, now that Seth and Summer are here, why don't they take over and we'll go talk to your mother.

SETH: You're taking on Veronica Townsend? It's a death wish.

KIRSTEN: Why don't you just paste the turkey.

TAYLOR: But just very lightly, with the little brush thing, and not...

SETH: Ok, alright.

(Kirsten and Taylor leave. Pause.)

SUMMER: Gosh I haven't been in this house in so long.

SETH: Well the house misses you, so do I. In fact, upstairs has been asking for you.

(They kiss.)

SUMMER: Oh really?

SETH: Mhmm.

SUMMER: Well I've gotta get back to my dad's house.

SETH: Give me five minutes.

SUMMER: Promise?

(Seth grabs an egg-timer and sets the dial.)

SETH: Keep me honest. Ten.

(Summer laughs.)

(Julie is sitting in the kitchen, reading a cookbook. Mr Roberts enters.)

MR ROBERTS: How's dinner coming?

JULIE: Fantastic. You wouldn't happen to know how to cook a turkey would you?

MR ROBERTS: You've never cooked a turkey?

JULIE: Well Jimmy always did it, and after we broke up, then we ended up at the Coens.

MR ROBERTS: Right. And the reason we're not going there is?

(The doorbell rings.)

JULIE: Oh, get that will you?

(Mr Roberts walks to the front door and opens it. It's Ryan.)

MR ROBERTS: Hey Ryan.

RYAN: Hey, is Julie home?

MR ROBERTS: She is, but I'd rather you didn't bother her right now.

RYAN: I just need a minute of her time.

MR ROBERTS: Yeah, I've been saying the same thing for six months. Maybe you can talk to her after the holiday.

RYAN: I don't think you really understand what's going on here.

MR ROBERTS: No you're right I don't. I don't understand all the phone calls, I don't understand why we're not having dinner with your family tonight. All I do know is that I was once very excited about my life with this woman and it all seems to be disappearing right now.

RYAN: I get it, I'm sorry.

MR ROBERTS: Tell your family I say happy Thanksgiving.

(Mr Roberts closes the door. Ryan walks away.)

INT. YACHT CLUB

(Veronica, Taylor's mom, is ordering about some waiters.)

VERONICA: I said burgundy candles, not orange! Now you go get them, or I'll send a 911 page to my guy at the INS.

(Cut to Kirsten and Taylor in an adjacent room, looking in.)

TAYLOR: OK, off you go.

KIRSTEN: Are you sure you don't wanna come with me?

TAYLOR: No. No, no, no. My stomach's kinda doing that flip-floppy thing it does every time I see her.

(Kirsten walks over to Veronica.)

VERONICA: Kirsten Coen, what a surprise! Have you been doing Pilates? You look thin! And I love your hair.

KIRSTEN: Thanks Veronica. Actually I just came by to help.

VERONICA: Oh, well you can help me with the candles.

(Veronica hands Kirsten some candles.)

KIRSTEN: So, this is your first holiday without Taylor. That must be hard for you.

(Kirsten starts arranging the candles on a table.)

VERONICA: It is. You know, I tell my clients that I'm a mother first, and a sports agent second. Uh, could you make those a little bit more parallel? Like... No just... Maybe I should just do it.

(Veronica rearranges the candles.)

KIRSTEN: I feel the same way about being a mom. You have to love your children no matter what they do. Even if they disappoint you. VERONICA: Of course. And you would know. You know with the sh**ting, and the car accident, and Seth burning down the Newport Group.

KIRSTEN: Actually I was talking about you and Taylor.

VERONICA: Right. And I love Taylor unconditionally. You know, a wise woman once said "If you love 'til it hurts, there can be no more hurt, but only more love." You know who said that? The mother. Mother Theresa. (Taylor walks into the room. Reproachful) Oh my God, Taylor! What are you doing here?

TAYLOR: Mom, I need to talk to you.

KIRSTEN: I'm gonna leave you two alone. (Whispering to Taylor)You'll be fine.

INT. COEN HOUSE - SETH'S ROOM

(Seth is sitting on his bed. Summer is on the floor, doing yoga.)

SETH: We only have a few minutes together. You sure you have to do yoga?

SUMMER: I've been on a plane all day. I'm trying to reverse the bloodflow. Fresh oxygen to the brain gives you clarity and peace of mind.

SETH: I still can't believe you had no reaction to my tattoo.

SUMMER: I had a reaction. I told you to get that thing removed!

SETH: Yeah I'll get it removed.

(Summer gets up and sits next to Seth.)

SUMMER: Did it hurt?

SETH: Whatever. I was with my marine buds. I barely felt a thing.

SUMMER: I bet you cried.

SETH: Like a baby. I'm glad you're home.

SUMMER: Me too.

(They kiss. Summer sees an Atomic County poster on Seth's wall. She looks at the illustration of Marissa. She pulls away from Seth.)

SETH: What's wrong?

SUMMER: I just... I get upset when I think about... all of the food that the average American consumes during Thanksgiving when so many people go without!

SETH: Huh?

SUMMER: We need to do something. We gotta go. Gotta go somewhere!

SETH: Go? Go where?

SUMMER: The soup kitchen. We're gonna feed the homeless.

SETH: Do we have to? We're already feeding Ryan and he was homeless once.

(They rush down the stairs and arrive at the front door.)

SUMMER: Hey you can go or you can stay.

(The front door opens and Sandy walks in.)

SANDY: Summer! How are you doing?

SUMMER: Better than the 2.8 billion people living below the poverty level. Are you OK with that statistic Mr Coen? I don't think so. That's why I have to go.

(Symmer walks out of the front door.)

SANDY: Who knew, out of all you kids, she'd turn out to be the young Sandy Coen!

SETH: Had to rub off on someone. We'll be back soon.

(Seth leaves the house. Sandy walks through to the kitchen.)

(Sandy walks over to Kirsten, who is kneeling by the oven.)

SANDY: Hey, honey.

KIRSTEN: You know I thought we were going to be having dinner as a family and here I am being driven crazy by Taylor Townsend.

SANDY: I got news. Volchok came to see me today.

KIRSTEN: Volchok, Volchok?

SANDY: He turned himself in. I've put him in a hotel while Otis finishes his paperwork. I figure we'll tell Ryan after the holiday.

(Ryan appears behind Sandy.)

RYAN: After he's already in jail. So we can't get at him.

SANDY: Well yeah the thought did cross my mind so don't bother asking me where he is 'cause I'm not gonna tell you.

RYAN: Alright look you stopped me from going after him, that I get. But to defend him...

SANDY: I'm not defending him Ryan. I'm negotiating the terms of his surrender. And he's gonna get every bit of what he deserves.

KIRSTEN: Ryan, Sandy and I would only do what's best for you.

RYAN: You wanna do what's in my best interest?

SANDY: Always.

RYAN: Leave me alone.

(Ryan turns and walks away.)

SANDY: Ryan... (Sandy walks after him.) Come on, wait.

EXT. NEWPORT BEACH - PARKING LOT

(Ryan walks up to a surfer on the parking lot.)

RYAN: Hey. You're friends with Volchok, right?

SURFER: Used to be. I haven't seen Volchok in months. Don't know where he is.

RYAN: Yeah well he's back in town. I need to find out where he's staying.

SURFER: I don't know. If he called anyone it would probably be Heather.

RYAN: You got her number.

SURFER: I haven't talked to her. She might not be in town.

RYAN: I'm gonna need that number.

(Cut to Ryan on his cell phone.)
EXT. NEWPORT BEACH

(Heather walks over to Ryan on the beach.)

HEATHER: Hey. (Pause.) Just for the record, that night...

RYAN: I don't wanna talk about it.

HEATHER: Look, at the first stoplight I jumped out and I tried to find help, and when I got back to the car Volchok was gone. I just needed you to know that.

RYAN: And I just need to find the guy.

HEATHER: Like I told you on the phone I don't know where his is.

RYAN: He must have called you, told you he was coming back.

HEATHER: He thinks that I'm gone too. And I was. I'm only home to see my mom for Thanksgiving. I really shouldn't even be talking to you... RYAN: I'm not gonna call the cops on you.

HEATHER: You know, I spoke to him a few months after the accident, and he sounded pretty messed up.

RYAN: Good. Thanks for meeting me...

HEATHER: Look, maybe you should try to put it behind you. Just let him go.

RYAN: Good advice...

(Ryan walks away.)

(Kirsten is still cooking. Sandy is in his car. Kirsten calls Sandy on his cellphone.)

SANDY: Hello?

KIRSTEN: Any luck?

SANDY: No. I've been to the Bait Shop, the diner. I can't find him anywhere.

KIRSTEN: I just feel strange to be cooking with all this going on. Maybe we should call dinner off.

SANDY: No, keep it going. I got another idea where he might be.

KIRSTEN: Well call me as soon as you... (Taylor walks into the kitchen, visibly distraught.) Uh, I gotta go. What happened?

TAYLOR: She called me irresponsible, and stupid, and then she said that I would never be truly thin because I have a naturally large thorax.

KIRSTEN: Oh Taylor, that's awful.

TAYLOR: And the worst part is... (Taylor tastes some of Kirsten's cooking.) Oh my God, these are like cardboard. You're gonna want to add some cream. And the worst part is she said I'm no longer welcome in her house. I am le vagabond.

KIRSTEN: You can stay here.

TAYLOR: Forever?

KIRSTEN: Well... no. For one night. But we'll find somewhere for you to stay.

TAYLOR: Thank you Kiki. And I am so sorry that after all you've done for me I abandoned ship during the crucial hour before Thanksgiving. Now let's see how you're doing with those pies. Did you smash the pecans finely like I told you to?

KIRSTEN: I skipped the pecan pie.

TAYLOR: You skipped the pecan?

KIRSTEN: Well one pumpkin will be fine. There's only five of us.

(Seth walks into the kitchen, followed by Summer and eight homeless men.)

SETH: You may wanna rethink that. We invited over some friends. Love the Coen open door policy.

KIRSTEN: There aren't your friends.

SUMMER: Well we were trying to help out at the soup kitchen and apparently they said they had enough volunteers. Like such a thing exists! Uh, just follow me to the family room.

HOMELESS MAN: I really need to use your toilet.

SETH: Oh, it's the first one on the left. Take these matches.

HOMELESS MAN 2: I'm next!

SETH: Alright, you're next. (The homeless men walk through to the living room. To Kirsten) Sorry.

KIRSTEN: They can't stay.

SETH: Well can't tell them to go. Summer'll have a nervous breakdown. She's hanging by a thread.

TAYLOR: You know I used to volunteer at the Y, teaching personal hygiene. So I could just run through the basics with them. Unfortunately it means that I wouldn't be able to help you in here.

KIRSTEN: Really? That sounds great. They stay, you keep them in one place, you keep them occupied.

SETH: OK. (Seth walks into the living room.) Who here has not seen Battlestar Galactica season one?

HOMELESS MAN 2: I missed the season finale.

SETH: Get ready to have your mind blown.

(Cut back to the kitchen.)

TAYLOR: Don't worry Kiki, I've got your back.

(Sandy is in his car. He calls Julie, who is trying to cook her turkey.)

SANDY: Julie.

JULIE: I thought you weren't speaking to me.

SANDY: I'm not calling to make peace. I'm looking for Ryan.

JULIE: Ryan? You told me to stay away from him, remember?

SANDY: Oh come on. He called you as soon as he found out I had Volchok in custody.

(Pause. Julie seems distraught.)

JULIE: Volchok is in custody?

SANDY: So you really didn't know, huh?

JULIE: No. No I didn't.

SANDY: He turned himself in this morning. I already spoke to the DA, it should be a done deal by tonight.

JULIE: So it's really over...

SANDY: I sure as hell hope so. (Julie hangs up. She seems to be in shock.) Julie? Julie?

(Kaitlin walks into the kitchen.)

KAITLIN: Mom are you OK?

JULIE: I don't know. KAITLIN: Well do you wanna lie down or something?

JULIE: Do I wanna lay in the dark with nothing but my thoughts to distract me? No, Kaitlin, that is not what I wanna do.

KAITLIN: OK, never mind. I'll just go find my dog. (Kaitlin walks out of the kitchen. Mr Roberts is walking in to the kitchen.) She's having a meltdown. Good luck.

MR ROBERTS: Julie, you look pale. Are you alright?

JULIE: I'm fine. I... I have a turkey to cook, potatoes to mash and... and that's all I have to think about. Just... just think about the task at hand. Will you get out of here? You're in the way. I have to paste a turkey.

INT. MOTEL

(Ryan is going from motel to motel, looking for Volchok.)

MAN: There's nobody registered by that name.

(Ryan leaves the motel. Sandy is waiting for him by his car.)

SANDY: Close, but he's not here.

RYAN: So I'll keep looking.

SANDY: Why don't you come with me?

RYAN: Yeah? So you can take me home and give me one of your lectures.

SANDY: Oh, we're beyond all that.

RYAN: Alright. So what are you doing here?

SANDY: Why don't you find out? Come on.

(They both walk over to Sandy's car.)

(Summer is frantically trying to organise seating for the Thanksgiving meal.)

SUMMER: There aren't enough chairs. Darryl needs a chair!

SETH: Summer, can we talk...

HOMELESS MAN: Hahaha! Hey, yeah!

SUMMER: I'm just gonna make a seating area out of cushions on the floor.

SETH: Summer, we need to talk.

(Julie is mashing potatoes. Mr Roberts is standing next to her.)

JULIE: I can't talk, I have to mash these potatoes. Hand me the cream.

MR ROBERTS (firmly): No. No more distraction tactics. You and I both know what's going on here.

(Julie pours too much milk into the potatoes.)

JULIE: Now these are ruined. I'm going back to the store.

(Julie walks out of the kitchen and into the entrance hall, where Kaitlin is on her knees, scrubbing the floor.)

KAITLIN: You wouldn't happen to have any baking soda would you?

JULIE: Kaitlin, get that dog out of my house right now or so help me God I will have it put to sleep.

KAITLIN: God, you would wouldn't you.

(Kaitlin walks out of the front door.)

JULIE: Kaitlin, where are you going?

KAITLIN: To the Coens. They don't hate the whole family mom, just you.

(Kaitlin walks to her car and gets in.)

JULIE: Fine! Don't come crying to me when Kirsten's turkey tastes like rubber!

(Mr Roberts walks out of the house and over to Julie.)

MR ROBERTS: Julie. Julie! Listen to me. Listen to me! I love you, but you are acting insane.

SUMMER: I'm not insane, OK? What's insane is how I used to be when all I would do was hang out with my best friend, and go tanning with her, and go shopping, and braid her hair, and talk to her on the phone...

SETH: Summer, stop. Let's be honest for a sec. That's what this is all about.

EXT. ROBERTS HOUSE - FRONT DRIVEWAY

MR ROBERTS: Marissa. It's all about her. You've got to stop running away and let yourself grieve.

JULIE: My keys...

MR ROBERTS: Stop running away from me!

(Summer grabs her bags and is making her way towards the front door.)

SUMMER: I'm not running away, I just didn't realise how late it was. My dad's probably totally freaking out.

SETH: I'm sorry I said it, just please don't go.

EXT. ROBERTS HOUSE - FRONT DRIVEWAY

JULIE: You're the one who walked away Neil. You had the affair, remember?

(Julie gets into her car.)

MR ROEBRTS: Nothing happened with Gloria and me. I told you, I needed somebody to talk to.

JULIE: Well you can talk to her all you want now. When I get back, I want you out of this house.

MR ROBERTS: It's my house.

JULIE: We'll see about that. Bye Neil.

(Julie drives away.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - FRONT ENTRANCE

(Summer walks out of the front door.)

SUMMER (to Seth): Bye

EXT. MOTEL

(Sandy pulls up in a motel parking lot.)

SANDY (motioning to a motel room): He's in there. Otis said he'd need some time to file the charges so I put him up here. Room 102.

RYAN: If this is some kind of dare, I'm gonna take it...

SANDY: I trust you.

(Ryan gets out of the car.)

INT. MOTEL - ROOM 102

(Ryan opens the door to room 102 and walks inside. Volchok is sitting on the bed.)

VOLCHOK: Been waiting a long time for this I bet. (He stands up.) So what are you waiting for?

(Ryan punches Volchok twice. Volchok falls to the floor. Ryan grabs a glass bottle, smashes half of it against a drawer and holds the other half above Volchok, ready to strike him.)

VOLCHOK: Do it! k*ll me! I don't care anymore... I just want it to be over. I just want it to be over.

EXT. MOTEL

(A police car and Otis' car pull up in the motel parking lot. Otis walks over to Sandy.)

OTIS: He still in there?

SANDY: Yeah.

OTIS: Look, maybe we should go in.

SANDY: No, give him a minute.

INT. MOTEL - ROOM 102

(Ryan is sitting on the bed. Volchok is sitting on the floor.)

RYAN: You didn't try to help, you didn't even stop.

VOLCHOK: I got scared. I freaked like hell.

RYAN: And she d*ed. On the side of the road.

VOLCHOK: I think about that night every day. That's all I think about. I wish I could take it back...

RYAN: I don't wanna hear about how bad you feel. Tell me why you did it.

VOLCHOK: Does it matter?

RYAN: It matters to me.

VOLCHOK: I don't know, OK? I mean, I was coming after you. You got the girl, I didn't, and that was hard for me to handle. I just... I wanted you to pull over. And it all just got out of control.

RYAN: So what? It was all an accident? A mistake?

VOLCHOK: I know that doesn't change anything, so if you wanna finish this... I'm not gonna fight back.

RYAN: I'm not doing you any favors. You have to live with what you did. It's over.

EXT. MOTEL

(We see the door of room 102 open. Ryan steps out, followed by Volchok. Volchok is handcuffed by two police officers. Ryan walks over to Sandy.)

SANDY: I'm proud of you.

RYAN: Sorry.

SANDY: You hungry?

RYAN: Starving.

SANDY: Well let's go. Otis, you got this?

OTIS: We'll take him in. I'll call you after I'm done.

SANDY: Alright, thanks.

(Volchok and Ryan look at each other as Volchok is taken away by the police officers.)

INT. ROBERTS HOUSE - DINING ROOM

(Summer walks into the dining room. The Thanksgiving meal has been prepared and is on the table. Julie is sitting alone.)

JULIE (sadly): Hey.

SUMMER: Hey. Where's my dad?

JULIE (sadly): Gone.

SUMMER: Kaitlin?

JULIE: Gone. (Summer sits at the table next to Julie.) We can't go on like this any more can we?

SUMMER: No.

(Summer reaches out and holds Julie's hand.)

(Seth is using his cellphone.)

SETH: I just got her voicemail again. I'm gonna go over there.

TAYLOR: I don't think you should. In fact, I am turning your ringer off.

(Taylor takes Seth's cellphone and turns it off.)

SETH: Don't. My girlfriend's freaking out.

TAYLOR: That's exactly what she should be doing. Seth she needs to face what happened on her own before you can help her with it.

(Kaitlin walks over to Seth and Taylor.)

KAITLIN: Hey. You guys your mom says you're ready for dinner.

(Everyone sits at the table.)

HOMELESS MAN: You wanna cut the bird? I'm hungry.

KIRSTEN: Um, Darryl, we're going to wait foe the rest of the family.

(Sandy and Ryan walk into the kitchen.)

SANDY: We're here.

KIRSTEN: Oh, finally! (to Ryan) Are you OK?

RYAN: Yeah, I'm fine.

(They hug.)

KIRSTEN: Thank God you're home.

SANDY: Honey, who... who are these gentlemen at the table?

SETH: It's a long story dad.

(Later: everyone is sitting at the table, enjoying the meal.)

HOMELESS MAN: Can you pass the gravy?

RYAN: Sure buddy.

SANDY: Hey, didn't I defend you a couple of years and for a B and E?

HOMELESS MAN: Yeah, now I remember! I called you crazy eyebrow man.

SANDY: Well, I'll take that as a compliment. (to Seth) An old client of mine, how do you like that?

SETH: Yeah that's pretty wild dad.

HOMELESS MAN 2: You wanna hear wild? I am ninety percent sure that's my dog.

(He points to the dog Kaitlin is holding.)

KAITLIN: Ok, there's no way that this is your dog. This is little Julie.

HOMELESS MAN 2: Uh uh. That's Savage. Baby, I've been looking everywhere for you.

(He takes back his dog.)

KAITLIN: OK, this can not be happening.

TAYLOR: "The Lord giveth and He taketh away." Job, 1.21. Oh but I'm no longer religious. But as a child I went to Bible school and then all of those quotes just kind of... stuck with me.

KAITLIN: You are a total freakshow. (Pause.) It is so awesome.

TAYLOR: Isn't it though?

INT. AIRPORT

(Summer is at the airport with her dad. She calls Seth and leaves a message.)

SUMMER: Hey, it's me. I'm heading back to Providence. Look everything you said was true and I need to deal with it, but I need to do it on my own. I'm sorry I'm such a mess, it's just... I miss my friend. But I'll call you as soon as I get my head screwed on, OK? I love you.

MR ROBERTS: Did you reach him?

SUMMER: I left a message.

MR ROBERTS: I know I didn't like Seth when I first met him, but I've got to admit his grown on me. I think you two are going to be fine.

SUMMER: Thanks for seeing me off.

MR ROBERTS: Of course. It's so crazy. To think that next time you come home I might not be living here...

SUMMER: Yeah, are you gonna take that job in Seattle?

MR ROBERTS: Well the offer came at the perfect time. And the hospital is famous for being wonderfully quirky. It's called Seattle Grace.

SUMMER: Is the step-monster going with you.

MR ROBERTS: She'll visit. But we'll take it slow, I promise.

SUMMER: I'm really sorry that you and Julie broke up.

MR ROBERTS: Yeah it's not the Thanksgiving that I had in mind. It's too bad, because I think that you and I could both use it, huh?

SUMMER: You know, I could take a later flight.

MR ROBERTS: Really?

SUMMER: Yeah. It's not too late to have Thanksgiving.

MR ROBERTS: What do you have in mind? (Summer motions to a chili restaurant.) I love chilis.

SUMMER: You and me both, dad.

(They walk into the restaurant.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - DINING ROOM

(Everyone is still eating the Thanksgiving meal. The doorbell rings.)

KIRSTEN: Are we expecting somebody?

HOMELESS MAN 2: Oh, I invited a few of my cousins over. I hope that's cool.

SANDY: It's cool. I'll handle it.

(Sandy gets up from the table and walks over to the front entrance. He opens the front door. It's Julie.)

JULIE: Hi.

SANDY: Julie, whatever it is it'll have to wait. We're having Thanksgiving.

JULIE: I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry.

SANDY: I don't think I've ever heard you say that before.

JULIE: I don't think I ever meant it.

SANDY: Well, come on in.

(Sandy and Julie walk into the dining room.)

KIRSTEN: Sandy why don't you pull out a chair.

JULIE: No, um...

(She looks at Ryan.)

SANDY (to Ryan): Go ahead.

(Ryan gets up from the table. He and Julie walk over to the pool house.)

INT. COEN HOUSE - POOL HOUSE

(Julie sits down on the bed.)

JULIE (in tears): Tell me about her.

RYAN: What?

JULIE: Anything. Just tell me about her.

(Ryan sits down next to Julie.)

RYAN: I remember the first time I saw her. She was... she was wearing this white top thing, and I think she had jeans on. She was standing at the bottom of the driveway. And I thought... well that she was really hot. Really hot. She gave me a smile.

JULIE: It was a beautiful smile.