02x02 - The Way We Were

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x02 - The Way We Were

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - we see a gorgeous sh*t of the water, then we see a comic book in a clear plastic bag. the comic is called 'plastic man'. the camera pulls back a little and we can now see that Seth is holding the comic, in the pool house. Ryan is also there

Seth: we could not go

Ryan: (off screen) can't not go

Seth: we can so not go, we already missed registration its not like anyone's expecting us

Ryan: your mom called the school man

Seth: (mocking) oh did did my mom call the (normal) your the bad boy ok (Ryan looks at him) your the outsider your spose'to be leading me into temptation not home room

Ryan: its jus the first day'a school man

Seth: yeah exactly, an entire day of just...Ashton Kutcher's knuckle knocking an going on an on about summer (Ryan looks at him) the...summer not my- the-the season not the person (sighs) at this point how would I even know

Ryan: what you haven't called her yet

Seth: umm before you read this (holds up comic) remind me to explain the difference to you between plastic man and elongated man

Ryan: so that's a no then

Seth: when would I of had the time to call her, I've jus got back into town an I have three months of back issues to bag an board (Ryan sits in a chair near him) and on top of that now, apparently I don't know, I have'to go to school

Ryan: coulda called her from Portland

Seth: I did call her from Portland, every day an I got her voicemail until she finally picked up an said if I ever call her again her father will have me k*lled

Ryan: so Summer has no idea your back

Seth: k*lled Ryan as in dead

Ryan: so that was months ago, she's probably moved on by now

Seth: (hurt) i'm sorry...moved on

Ryan: ...gotten over it (hopeful)

Seth: gotten over it...why because (shrugs) I jus I meant nothing to her

Ryan: (gives up) i'm gonna brood, silently...over here

Seth: (softly) no she's gonna have me k*lled

Ryan: she's not gonna have you k*lled

Seth: fine then maybe you're right she will ignore me which would be worse

Ryan: so Summer's ben ignoring you for years, you can take it

Seth: yeah but that was before I knew what it's like to not be ignored (shakes his head) why should I have'to go back to that, why

Ryan: because you left for three months without telling her...

Seth: so you're saying it's my fault

Ryan: well you are kinda the one who left

Seth: yeah because'a you

Ryan: oh so it's my fault

Seth: (shrugs) do you think she'll buy that

Ryan: Seth jus talk to her (stands)

Seth: an say what exactly

Ryan: I don't know, i'm sorry maybe

Seth: really...(thinks) i'm sorry...is that what you said to Marissa

Ryan: ...no, but i'm going to

Seth: (smiles) oh oh ok (Ryan moves his head side to side & has a 'yeah yeah' expression) then so it turns out, what'do you know i'm not the only coward in the room

Ryan: no i'm jus gonna see her at school, I know that

Seth: really your jus gonna walk up to her infront'a the entire student body an be all hey an just hope she hey's ya back

Ryan: (smile goes) (Seth raises his eyebrows at him) yeah we're not goin'to school (Seth smiles)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Ryan and Seth are coming out of the pool house now

Seth: ok man listen whatever happens today at school the important thing is that the Ryan/Seth teams back in action ok, together there's nothin we can't face

(we see them walk through the door into what use to be the dining room. there is furniture everywhere covered in plastic everywhere)

Seth: (sees) i'm movie ta Portland

(Sandy, Kirsten and Archie are already in the kitchen)

Sandy: morning men

Seth: hey

Sandy: sleep well

Seth: no

Kirsten: ready for your first day'a school

Seth: no

Sandy: there's bagels

Kirsten: coffee

Archie: love some thanks

Sandy: an then there's Archie

Seth: yeah will you explain to me this whole remodeling thing again (Ryan sits at the bench)

Sandy: your mother got bored this summer

Kirsten: your father was complaining that he didn't have a place for his surfing memorabilia

Sandy: (nods) oh, so it is my fault (Kirsten looks at him)

Archie: we'll be outto the kitchen by dinner

Sandy: how bout the rest'a the house (phone rings)

Archie: isn't that the phone

Kirsten: Sandy

Sandy: honey i'm mid smear (referring to his bagel)

Kirsten: I am late for work

Sandy: (frustrated) well if I could find it, maybe id answer it

(Archie holds out the phone to Sandy, Kirsten gives up and takes it)

Kirsten: hello...hello (hangs up) hm hung up

Archie: ah I hate it when they do that

Kirsten: I-I I called the school, so your registered you just have'to go by the office an fill out some paperwork, your fathers gonna go with you incase there's any problems

Seth: (unenthusiastically) alright

Sandy: I thought you were gonna take em

Kirsten: I have a meeting

Sandy: I have a meeting

Seth: hey if it's too much trouble maybe we should stay home

(phone rings)

Kirsten: I have to go (Sandy puts his hands out, as if to say 'I don't know')

(Archie puts the phone in front of Sandy)

Sandy: (answers it) hello

Kirsten: (walks over to Seth & Ryan) i'm really glad that you guys (kisses Seth's cheek) are home (kisses Ryan's cheek)

Seth: good then maybe we should reserve (?)

Sandy: (frowns) he's where (the 3 look at Sandy) you don't know (Seth looks at him) (to them) it's the office (phone) alright ill find him thankyou (hangs up) I have to go

Kirsten: yeah, I have to go (Sandy puts his hands out again)

Archie: you want me to take em (Kirsten and Sandy look at him, then Seth and Ryan)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Seth arrive sitting in the back of Archie's ute. it stops and they both jump out

Seth: not an auspicious way ta start the school year (waves at Archie)

Ryan: (waves) thanks Archie, don't worry about it man i'm sure nobody saw

(we see Marissa and Summer looking in their direction. Marissa squints, Summer's smile goes - Ryan and Seth see them and stop walking)

Seth: oh my god

Summer: oh my god

Ryan: oh my god

Marissa: (happy) oh my god! (runs to them) Ryan!

(Seth waves to Summer and Summer turns around and walks away)

Marissa: (smiles) hey

Ryan: (smiles) hey (they hug)

Seth: oi, wish me luck

Ryan: yeah

Seth: (off screen) Summer

Marissa: (suprised) uh what're you doing here

Ryan: uh i'm back i'm-i'm back at the Cohen's back at Harbor i'm...i'm back

Marissa: but how I mean what about Theresa

Ryan: it's...kind of a long story

Marissa: well I wanna hear it if you wanna tell me

Ryan: ah yeah sure uh after school?

Marissa: (smiles) after school, it's a date (walks off) (Ryan smiles)

(Summer is walking up the steps, and Seth is trying to catch her)

Seth: Summer (Summer keeps walking) are you jus not even gonna talk to me

Summer: nope, sorry Cohen, you know maybe ill write you a letter an you can read it over an over trying'ta figure out what the hell I was thinking all summer

Seth: (grabs her arm) will you jus wait a second-

Summer: (stops) no I am done waiting for you Cohen (Seth looks at her) now if you'll excuse me, I have'to go meet my boyfriend

(Summer walks off. Seth watches her leave then stands there with his eyes closed)

Seth: boyfriend (puts his head down)

CUT TO: A yacht - It's the yacht that Jimmy and Hailey have been living on. Hailey is on the phone

Hailey: I cant believe this is happening...well how much are they offering...(suprised) wow...so when do we have'to be there...I cant...its too soon...well I still haven't told Jimmy yet...(we see Jimmy walking up in the background) cause I don't wanna hurt him

Jimmy: hey (holding drinks) there you (spoken like a pirate) are...to be sure(?)

Hailey: (phone) Jimmy's up, I gotta go...I will I promise, bye (hangs up) Susie says hi

Jimmy: Susie (kisses Hailey) calls too early

Hailey: it's almost nine

Jimmy: whoa (Hailey laughs) Mimosa? (hands her drink)

Hailey: (smiles) are you tryin'a get me drunk

Jimmy: I - am trying to - keep you drunk, last night was (shakes his head) pretty - awesome (kisses her)

Hailey: mm the whole summers ben awesome, beach the yacht...you

Jimmy: noo...you (kisses her) your the one (kiss) listen (kiss) i've got a really good idea an I want you ta

Hailey: mm-hmm

Jimmy: (kiss) an I want you to really concentrate on it ok

Hailey: mm-hmm mm-hmm

Jimmy: we should keep the boat for another month an we'd go down to Cabot(?)

Hailey: Jimmy we can't

Jimmy: why cant we, come on its not like either of us have jobs that we have to go back to...come on look I'll-I'll-I'll manage my portfolio online and uh you know this way summer never has'to end (kisses her) you know (kiss) right, am I right

Hailey: (smiles) right

Jimmy: right

Hailey: right (Jimmy laughs) right

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is in the career advisors? office, talking to her about his options

Ms Fisher: so I put this schedule together for you (hands it to him) which you'll probably hate which is fine

Ryan: no i'm sure its ok, thanks

Ms Fisher: I uh based it on the schedule from last year (impressed) nice GPA by the way

Ryan: really, thanks (smiles)

Ms Fisher: yeah, so is there anything missing, favourite subject, favourite teacher, electives, anything

Ryan: honestly I uh i'm jus happy not to be working construction right now so

Ms Fisher: you know Ryan it's not too early to start thinking about colleges

Ryan: uh thanks but I-I can't really afford college an i'm not about to let the Cohen's pay for it

Ms Fisher: Ryan, you have great test scores, a solid GPA an if you work your ass off when you get out of here you can do whatever you want (Ryan looks down) the question is what'do you want

Ryan: how do you mean

Ms Fisher: well um what'do you like, what're you interested in

Ryan: (thinks) I don't know uh (Ms Fisher looks at him) s-seriously I-I don't know

Ms Fisher: (nods) oh ok, then I have an assignment for you (hands him paper) I want you to go ta your classes an then write down everything you like about them an everything you don't like about them an most importantly, why. then I want you to come by here tomorrow we'll go over it together an, make sure you get what you want

Ryan: uh Ms Fisher i'm sure this schedules fine, really

Ms Fisher: you'll find out, an let me know (stands) (Ryan stands) alright ill see you tomorrow

Ryan: yep (leaves)

CUT TO: Ryan outside at the lunch tables, he's working on his list and Seth walks over

Seth: love letter to Marissa

Ryan: no, no its a (Seth sits) (frowns) did uh did Ms Fisher give you an assignment

Seth: uh no she didn't but then again you know I didn't get a warm cinematic embrace from anyone when I got ta school either

Ryan: cute, did'you guys talk at least

Seth: yeah we sure did, long enough for her to tell me she has a boyfriend

Ryan: (sympathetic) ooooh buddy, i'm sorry

Seth: it's alright man, you know what, I had a whole life at this school before Summer (nods)

Ryan: (nods) sure

Seth: one of an outcast maybe but ill have you know at one point I was a vital part'a the Harbor club scene

Ryan: there's a Harbor club scene

Seth: yeah sure, sailing club, film club and uh wait for it (Ryan looks at him) wait for it (pulls out flyer) comic book club check it out (hands it to Ryan) huh

(we see what Ryan sees, the flyer is fluro pink, it has I WANT YOU.. then a picture of a boy that closely resembles Seth. in smaller letters is 'TO JOIN THE HARBOR SCHOOL COMIC BOOK LEAGUE' there is also a line or 2 of smaller writing which you cant work out. i'm assuming time/place details)

Ryan: (turns the flyer around, points) who's this guy

Seth: that's me with powers (Ryan nods, looking at him like he's crazy) the power to be handsome, what'do you think

Ryan: I think this may have something to do with the whole, outcast thing

Seth: no Ryan it doesn't listen Spiderman 2 do you know how much money that made at the box office, we're not outcasts anymore ok we're edgy we're like trail blazers

Ryan: (looks at Seth) we...

Seth: yeah du- listen Ms fisher says get involved right, well I need you to get involved on this, get involved get on board you me comic book club ok, an hopefully others (stands) pass those out I need ya to pass those out, thankyou (Ryan looks at him)

Seth: (off screen) hey guys, comic book league check it out (on screen) we're gonna be gettin inta the issues, the stuff that matters (Ryan puts the flyers in his bag and stands) you know what I mean today's topic (Ryan walks off) capes gay or kinda cool (yells) Ryan you better be passin those out my man

CUT TO: Marissa and Summer driving in Summer's car, they are headed to the mansion

Marissa: (looks at Summer) thanks for takin me to go get my car

Summer: anything to get away from Cohen (pulls into the drive way) do you wanna go get lunch after this

Marissa: I should probably get back to school

Summer: back to Ryan you mean (Marissa looks at her) so tell me is he taking you to the kick off carnival, are you guys gonna go for another (raises her eyebrows) spin on the ferris wheel

Marissa: he said we'd talk after school

Summer: about getting back together

Marisa: no (shrugs) I don't know, would that be so bad

Summer: no I mean...well its just, him an Cohen they jus cant think they can walk in an out of our lives whenever they want you know I (frowns) who's truck is that

Marissa: that's the yard guys an he's blocking my car in the drive way (honks horn) again (honks)

Summer: hey, hey, hey

Marissa: (honks more) (yells) D.J you're blocking my car (honks)

Summer: (smacks Marissa's hand) do not honk at D.J he's hot

Marissa: (looks at Summer) he's the yard guy

Summer: well he can park his truck in my driveway anytime

Marissa: (gets out) ill see you back at school (waves)

(Summer waves and reverses out. Marissa walks passed D.J and he looks at her, she looks at him and keeps walking)

CUT TO: Marissa's room - Marissa is touching up her lipstick in the mirror, in the reflection we see D.J walk in. Marissa sees and turns around

Marissa: (stands) what're you doing in here

D.J: I work here

(Marissa looks at him, D.J walks closer to her)

Marissa: I have to go (walks closer to him)

D.J: so go

(D.J looks at her, Marissa looks at him then she kisses him)

D.J: will I still see you today after school (touches her face)

Marissa: ...I cant i'm sorry it's just

D.J: hey its ok, don't worry (kisses her) I may still be here when you get back

(Marissa nods, D.J leaves the room and Marissa watches him, she looks worried/unsure)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Marissa is sitting on the couch in the student lounge drinking 'coffee' Summer sits next to her

Summer: hey (sits) mm what are we drinking (takes it from Marissa and takes a sip)

Marissa: Sum wait-

Summer: (frowns, swallows) (softly) what are you drinking, did you spike your latte

Marissa: (shrugs) its ben a weird day

Summer: Marissa we're at school

Marissa: yeah, exactly

(Summer looks at Marissa then gets up and puts the drink in the bin. she turns around and walks back to the couch)

Summer: what is going on with you (sits) did something happen with Ryan

(Marissa has her head leaning on her hand, she looks at Summer)

Marissa: (worried) what am I spose'to say to him

Summer: (confused) about (shakes her head)

Marissa: (closes her eye, opens them) about...D.J

Summer: (frowns) D.J who in the hell is (realises) oh (whispers) my god the yard guy

Marissa: yeah I know

Summer: (whispers) Marissa, since when

Marissa: since I don't know, all summer

Summer: (hits Marissa) an you didn't tell me

Marissa: (rubs her arm) ow, (softly) Summer I couldn't tell anyone...no one can find out about this

Summer: ok, god that is so hot

Marissa: no its not, believe me

Summer: really (frowns) but he's so ripped

Marissa: (explains) no he's great it's just...

Summer: he's the yard guy

Marissa: (confused) now Ryan's back an (sighs) I don't know what to do

Summer: well just explain it ta him, he left and suddenly (raises her eyebrows) there was a hot hot yard guy, in the yard, he was hot...so you really didn't do anything wrong

Marissa: if I didn't do anything wrong then why do I have'to tell him

Summer: well if it really is over with D.J then I guess you don't (Marissa looks at her) lets go get you some coffee with actual coffee in it (pulls Marissa off the couch)

CUT TO: some bar thing - Caleb is there drinking and Sandy walks in

Sandy: (sits) two coffees please, black

G: yes sir

(Sandy takes the alcohol away from Caleb)

Caleb: your gonna lose that hand Sanford

Sandy: since when is scotch apart'a your nutritious brunch

Caleb: (takes drink back) since the DA's office finally decided they had enough ta...indight me

Sandy: so what'did they finally decide to charge you with

Caleb: bribing certain city officials...to obtain building permits

Sandy: (suprised) that's a new one (Caleb raises his eyebrows) is there any truth in it

Caleb: (scoffs) please, why would I need to bribe anyone hmm, I uh I own this town

Sandy: sure you do, you bought it

Caleb: (softly) alright I admit...that I have done some things that i'm not too proud of but I did not do what they are accusing me of

Sandy: well then they'll have no case

Caleb: what they do have however, are documents, bank statements showing large sums of money being transferred from the Newport group to the city councilman's office

Sandy: ...well how-how is that possible

Caleb: ...I don't know (Sandy looks at him then away) will you help me

Sandy: (looks at Caleb) how

Caleb: (laughs) I was hoping you could tell me that (drinks)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth is sitting at a table in the student lounge by himself, on the table is one of his comic book league flyers, Ryan walks over to him

Ryan: ok, sorry i'm late

Seth: no no your right on time buddy (Ryan sits) we're jus getting started, Ryan would you please take the minutes (hands him pen and paper)

Ryan: (looks around) uh Seth it's just us

Seth: yeah ah-huh write that down (loud) I now call to order this years first Harbor school comic book league meeting (we see a guy near them, he turns around and walks away) members include Seth Cohen (Ryan is looking around. embarrassed) (raises his hand) present, Ryan Atwood

Ryan: uh Seth if it's just-

Seth: (sternly) Ryan - Atwood

Ryan: (raises his hand) present Seth (softly) if its just you an me can we maybe do this at home

Seth: yeah we could but then we wouldn't get our pictures in the year book

Ryan: yeah might not be such a bad thing

Seth: yeah maybe you couldn't undermine me infront'a the league ok what about that (Ryan whispers something, I can't catch it sorry)

(a guy walks up to them)

Zach: hey um (Seth and Ryan stop arguing and look at him) i'm here for the comic book club

Seth: (frowns) you are

Ryan: (shocked) you are

Zach: yeah why wouldn't I be

Seth: umm (shrugs) cause your...on the water polo team

Zach: what's that spose'to mean?

(Seth raises his eyebrows at Ryan, Ryan looks at Seth)

Seth: ok, uh-ha (move his head side to side) you wanna talk comics guy lets talk comics...what day'a the week do new comic books come out on

Zach: (smiles) Wednesday

Seth: what's wonder woman's secret identity?

Zach: she doesn't have one

Seth: true, which I think is a mistake by the way

Zach: I know me too

Seth: huh (looks at Ryan) (to Zach) who's your favourite super hero

Zach: depends who's writing him but id have'to say Superman

(Ryan is watching them both)

Seth: sssshhh Superman (to Ryan) this guy (to Zach) he's too perfect guy

Zach: no he seems perfect but he's not (sits down) I mean if you think about it (Ryan looks around the room) he's actually kinda messed up, I mean he lost his parents, he lost his whole planet he's like totally alone (Seth looks at him) an this is a guy who could take over the world if he wanted but he doesn't (Seth looks at Ryan out of the corner of his eyes) he just keeps helping people why would he do that y'know...unless, he was tryin'a make a connection, trying ta like find his way home

(Seth looks at Ryan, impressed. Ryan half smiles)

Seth: who's your favourite writer?

Zach: (smiles) Bendis

Seth: well hot damn (holds his hand out) welcome to the club

Zach: (shakes Seth's hand) (smiles) thanks

(Ryan just watches them in disbelief,lol)

Seth: this is gonna be good, so today's topics we have some topics (Zach's still smiling) uh-hm the hulk he gets bigger all his clothes rip off except (points) his pants, why is that

(the 3 of them are now walking outside)

Zach: from now on we'll meet up every Wednesday

Seth: yes

Zach: hit the comic book store

Seth: yes

Zach: an then we'll hang out

Seth: no that'll be awesome

Zach: ok great (they shake hands) (shakes Ryan's hand) i'll hit you with those green (?) J-pegs alright

Seth: yeah definitely do that

(Zach walks off)

Seth: dude I love that guy

Ryan: yeah (walks) whoa- (puts his hand on Seth's chest) your not the only one

(Seth is standing there with his mouth wide open. then we see what they see which is Summer and Zach kissing, then they stop and Summer smiles and talks to Zach)

Seth: (puts his hands up to his mouth) no she cannot be dating him, that's not even possible!...how is that possible

Ryan: a second ago you wanted'ta date him

Seth: yeah that's because he's me, you see what she's doing don't you (points) she's basically dating the WASP version of me, it's so stupid

Ryan: what you think Zach...

Seth: yeah I actually do, look at him (Ryan looks) he's like what the conventionally attractive y'know athletic confident just...completely non neurotic...WASP...version of me

(Summer and Zach walk off together. Seth closes his eyes and sighs, Ryan looks at him out the corner of his eye)

CUT TO: The mansion - Marissa and Ryan are standing with their backs to the camera looking at the house

Marissa: (sighs) so there it is, the haunted mansion

Ryan: yeah, I am definitely not in Chino anymore

(they start walking)

Marissa: so have you talked ta Theresa at all...since...

Ryan: since we lost the baby, no, no...we didn't really talk a whole lot while I was there either

Marissa: so you weren't really a couple, I mean you never...

Ryan: no no...it wasn't really like that, at all (Marissa smiles) so uh, so what about you, you um datin anybody

Marissa: uh nooo i'm not - dating anybody

Ryan: (smiles) ok so if your not dating anyone maybe you would wanna go to the kick off carnival with me tomorrow

Marissa: (smiles) hmm well I don't know can we go on the ferris wheel, cause my last boyfriend was afraid of heights

Ryan: poor guy, didn't know what he was missing

(Ryan kisses her, Marissa opens her eyes and looks up to see D.J standing on the balcony watching them, DJ looks hurt then walks away. Marissa pulls away from Ryan)

Marissa: come on (grabs his hands) I can't wait for you to see the rest of the house, an the look on my moms face when she sees you in it! (touches him on the shoulder)

CUT TO: The yacht - Hailey and Kirsten are there together

Kirsten: you got a job

Hailey: well nooo it's not just a - job, it's a whole new career, in fashion

Kirsten: Hailey

Hailey: (smiles) an sales

Kirsten: (smiles) Hailey

Hailey: ...in Japan

Kirsten: oi, how is Jimmy doing with that

Hailey: he's great...he doesn't know

Kirsten: Hailey...

Hailey: I try'to tell him but he just seems so...happy all the time (Kirsten looks at her) he's making so much money in the market that all he wants to do is drink an sail an...go ta Cabot

Kirsten: you poor thing

Hailey: i'm too young for early retirement

Kirsten: an your too old to keep running away

Hailey: (sincerely) i'm not running this time, I have a sh*t to make a real future outto this, Jimmy jus seems kind of...stuck

Kirsten: he loves you

Hailey: (smiles) I love him too

Kirsten: then you have'to tell him

(Hailey sits there, thinking)

CUT TO: The mansion - Sandy is helping a drunk Caleb up the stairs

Caleb: I can walk on my own y'know

Sandy: yeah when you're not drunk

Caleb: (laughs) Sandy i'm not-

(Caleb almost falls up the stairs)

Sandy: whoa, oh no you're alright, your fine

(Julie walks over to them)

Julie: oh my god, Cal

Sandy: oh...I spoke too soon

Julie: (to Sandy) whats'a matter with him, is he alright...did he have a stroke

Caleb: (waves it off) i'm fine

Sandy: he uh, he had a bottle of scotch

Julie: you got him drunk!

Sandy: no I took him to lunch ta try'to get him sober

Caleb: I am not - drunk (wobbles)

Julie: somebody tell me what's going on

Sandy: (looks at Caleb) Cal

Caleb: i'm goin'a bed, the pleasure is all yours Sanford, enjoy (walks away)

Sandy: (puts his head down) you may wanna si'down

Julie: (frustrated) you may wanna just tell me

Sandy: Caleb is gonna be indighted (Julie looks at him) I don't know when, but the DA's office has ben investigating him for uh...for a while now

Julie: (nods) for how long (Sandy doesn't say anything) how long have they ben investigating him Sandy...since before the wedding (Sandy looks at her) (angry) son - of a - bitch

Sandy: yeah well y'know, he-he didn't wanna worry ya

Julie: is he going to jail

Sandy: well there accusing him of bribing city officials an apparently they have proof (Julie breathes in) I wish there were something I could do

Julie: no you don't, you despise him you despise me an you would love nothing more then to see us get exactly what we deserve right

Sandy: (shakes his head) no, Julie no

Julie: let me tell you something, if Caleb's going down you better believe Kirsten's going with him, so you better come up with something...or it wont be just my kids who lose everything (Sandy looks at her) (smiles) now if you'll excuse me I have'to go take care of my husband (walks away)

(Sandy watches her leave, stunned)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Ryan is sitting at the bench doing his assignment, Kirsten comes in with groceries

Kirsten: hey

Ryan: hi

Kirsten: how's it goin

Ryan: (gets up) let me help you with that

Kirsten: how was your first day at school

Ryan: (unpacking) uhhh it was alright actually

Kirsten: how'd it go with Ms Fisher, is that your assignment

Ryan: oh she told you about that

Kirsten: (nods) (smiles) yeah, yeah she called to tell me that uh she wants us all to sit down an start talking about colleges for you (Ryan looks at her) Ryan that is just fantastic (Ryan smiles)

(Archie walks into the kitchen, followed by an angry Sandy)

Sandy: where the hell are you goin

Archie: your payin me to work aren't ya

Sandy: I thought I was, I thought I was (to Ryan) Ryan did you tell her!

Ryan: uh no but-

Sandy: Ryan figured out why there is still no wall in our former family room

Archie: there's no wall because-

Sandy: (yells) because this genius (points) misread the blueprints an ordered the wrong size steel I beam, an then was hoping we wouldn't notice while he bills us for all the time its gonna take to get it right

Archie: we're doin other things

Sandy: yeah your drinkin our coffee, your eatin our bagels

Archie: takin your kids to school, look I-I ordered the right I beam, they jus delivered the wrong one

Ryan: Archie I get that but um, can I ask you somethin man if-if you (points on the house plans) just move the new wall out about ten inches couldn't you just use the I beam that you got

Archie: you an architect kid?

Ryan: no but I worked a little bit in construction-

Archie: then don't tell me how'ta do my job

Sandy: (yells) you have no right to talk to him like that, how come there's still couches in my kitchen, you said you'd be outto here by dinner time, what are ya lookin for another free meal

Archie: you want us gone, we're gone (Kirsten watches stunned) get your little construction worker here to finish the job for ya (Ryan looks down)

Kirsten: Archie don't go

Archie: (puts his hand up) no, no, no, thanks for the coffee (leaves)

Kirsten: please! Sandy apologise

Sandy: I have nothing to apologise to him for, nothing and I am sick to death of-of putting myself on the line for this family (Kirsten looks at him) an getting nothing, if you wann'to apologise, apologise, i'm done (walks out)

(Kirsten looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Kirsten)

CUT TO: Their bedroom - Sandy is sitting on the bed and Kirsten stands at the door, Sandy turns around and sees her

Sandy: ill call Archie an apologise

Kirsten: no...your right he should'a told us about the beams...ill uh ill call a new contractor in the morning (Sandy starts taking his shoes off) I know I wasn't the easiest person to live with this summer...I was just really upset about the boys being gone...an I took it out on you...i'm sorry

Sandy: (walks over to Kirsten) y'know uh...what I said in there ...it wasn't about you

Kirsten: thank god...cause you were scary

Sandy: really, I was scary

Kirsten: yeah (Sandy nods) I mean i've-i've never seen you go off on anyone like that except for my dad an (Sandy looks down) oh no what'did he do now
CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth is sitting up on his bed with Captain Oats, he's look up at the ceiling. there's a knock at the door and he looks over. Ryan walks in

Ryan: hey

Ryan: you alright (grabs a chair)

Seth: yeah i'm jus tired

Ryan: (sits) (sighs) you missed all the drama

Seth: its alright I think I got my quoto for the day...how'd it go with you an Marissa

Ryan: she's gonna go to the kick off carnival with me tomorrow, you uh you wanna come with

Seth: hang out with you...an Marissa an Summer an Zach...is that really how its gonna be from now on

Ryan: probably, I don't know

Seth: well great, can never hang out with you again, see ya

Ryan: oh come on why not, doesn't mean we can't all be friends

Seth: dude do you really think Summer's gonna wanna be friends with me after what I did to her...especially now that she has the Zach att*ck that guys like Superman

Ryan: he's not Superman

Seth: he's like the thoroughbred (moves Captain Oats) an i'm a monkey...with cymbals

Ryan: alright so what're you gonna do, are you gonna spend a whole year with Captain Oats

Seth: it's not like I have any choice

Ryan: of course you do jus pick up the phone , call her, look be her friend

Seth: (sighs) (sad) I cant man (shrugs) its too late, she's not gonna wanna hear anything I have ta say (shrugs, sad)

(Ryan looks at Seth, thinking)

CUT TO: The yacht - its night time and Hailey walks over to Jimmy, with drinks

Hailey: ok (sighs) so what happened was Susie an I were roommates in Santo Cruz

Jimmy: oh

Hailey: (sits next to him) till we dropped out of college to start our own fashion line

Jimmy: (suprised) you had your own fashion line

Hailey: no because, we took all my dads money an moved to Paris an partied until I had to move back

Jimmy: uh now that, is the America dream

Hailey: (laughs) (Jimmy laughs) but Susie stayed in Paris, she got a job at Chanel an jus sold her first collection to a company in Japan

Jimmy: uh...here's to Susie (raises his glass)

Hailey: to Susie...who asked me ta be her sales rep an move...to Japan (Jimmy raises his eyebrows) more wine

Jimmy: (frowns) she asked you to move to Japan

Hailey: I know right

Jimmy: so uh...what'did you say

Hailey: I said id...talk to you about it

Jimmy: (frowns) you're askin me to move to Japan

Hailey: (smiles) no...you've got your kids, you have a whole life here an being with you has made me realise that I want all that, I want a job I want a future...I don't wanna run away anymore

Jimmy: well then don't, you can have all that here

Hailey: (shakes her head) I can't the moneys in Japan

Jimmy: so ill-ill back you

Hailey: no Jimmy I can't take your money

'

Jimmy: it wouldn't be my money, it'd be-it'd be our money (Hailey looks at him) (moves in front of her) marry me

Hailey: (closes her eyes) what

Jimmy: look i've-i've had an lost enough jobs to know that the only thing that's important in this life are the people in it an (Hailey looks at him) I want you...in my life Hailey, I wanna marry you (Hailey smiles)

CUT TO: Summers room - Summer is sitting on her floor with her eyes closed meditating. there is a tape playing

Tape: happy high vibrations attract happy high vibrational circumstances, yucky low vibrations (knock) attract

Summer: (yells) i'm doing my homework (knock) ugh (turns off tape) you know if I fail (stands) intro to pre cal this semester all (opens door) because of you-(Ryan is standing there) Ryan uh i'm sorry I thought you were the evil step-monster

Ryan: she let me in, she seems nice

Summer: yeah well she just switched anti depressants, give it a day

(Summer nods, Ryan nods, Summer looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at her, they both stand there uncomfortable)

Ryan: can I come in

Summer: sure (Ryan goes to walk in) wait did Cohen send you

Ryan: no no he has no idea i'm here

Summer: oh

(Ryan walks in)

Summer: (claps hands) so...

Ryan: (claps hands) so...

Summer: were you just in the neighbourhood

Ryan: (smiles) no uh (walks closer) I owe you an apology I-it's my fault Seth took off last summer

Summer: no Ryan stop it is so not

Ryan: no if-if I hadn't left then you guys would still be together

Summer: that - is not true, he would'a found some Coheny way to break us up, he...can't help it he's Cohen (Ryan sighs) come (picks up pillow) sit (sits)

Ryan: ok um (sits on the fluffy pink pillow thing,lol) look uh I know you have a boyfriend-

Summer: w-whoa no who told you that?

Ryan: I thought you told Seth that

Summer: well yeah to t*rture him (Ryan looks at her) no see Zach an I we're jus hanging out he is not my boyfriend, I do not want a boyfriend ok I had a boyfriend, he sailed away (makes a sailing motion with her arm)

Ryan: which was wrong but...but-but he cares about you so much (Summer listens) an I-if you could- if you could jus give him another chance then maybe...we could all go back to the way that we were

Summer: ...how (Ryan listens) you guys just left, for three months, you moved on, I moved on Marissa moved on

Ryan: (confused) what

Summer: ...I mean the way we were wasn't always so great, you guys had to deal with Marissa's mom (Ryan looks at her) Luke, Oliver, Theresa, an Cohen an I never should've hooked up...look just trust me on this...things are the way they are for a reason, you should go talk to Marissa (Ryan blinks)

CUT TO: The mansion - Marissa walks down some stairs outside, and stops when she sees D.J

Marissa: you can't keep calling me D.J, you shouldn't even be here right now we're in the middle of dinner

D.J: who is he?

Marissa: he was...my boyfriend

D.J: so you're...back together now

Marisa: (shrugs) i'm sorry

D.J: you didn't look sorry when you were kissing him

Marissa: that's not fair

D.J: (upset) don't talk ta me about fair (Marissa looks at him) what were you doing with me all summer

Marissa: (upset) I know, but he's my boyfriend

D.J: an i'm the yard guy right

Marissa: D.J come on

D.J: you don't think I hear the way you talk about me around your friends

Marissa: (teary) we agreed we wouldn't tell anyone

D.J: because i'm the yard guy

Marissa: (upset) because you could get fired

D.J: (softly) well you know what...I quit, have fun explaining that to your mom (walks away)

Marissa: (follows) D.J wait (crying) i'm not like that (D.J stops) you know i'm not like that (puts her head down) please

D.J: (walks over to her) (softly) hey, don't cry (touches Marissa's face) hey please don't cry (he kisses her)

(after a little while we see lights shining on them, Marissa stops kissing him and looks over. the camera changes and we see a car outside the front gate, camera changes again and we see Ryan is in the car looking at them, stunned - Marissa and D.J are now looking at him, Marissa is stunned and pulls away from D.J, D.J looks at her)

CUT TO: The pool house the next morning - Ryan and Seth are in there. Seth is sitting on the bed, Ryan is walking around

Ryan: so I pull in the driveway, Marissa's full on making out with some guy i've never seen before

Seth: what'did you do

Ryan: (sits next to Seth) nothing, I drove off

Seth: I guess...you shoulda called first

Ryan: (sighs) its just she said she wasn't dating anyone y'know

Seth: maybe she's not maybe y'know they just hook up for sex (Ryan looks at him) i'm sorry i'm just distracted, listen man I cannot believe you talked to Summer for me you- thankyou, that was just above an beyond'a you...now you just have'to help me get her back

Ryan: Seth

Seth: shh (puts his finger out) she said she wants to try again

Ryan: yeah, as friends

Seth: Ryan come on why would she go through all the trouble of telling you that Zach is specifically not her boyfriend if she just wanted us to be friends

Ryan: Seth, why would she go through all the trouble of telling you she just wants to be friends if she doesn't

Seth: because, she's hurt an she's scared an she's hiding behind walls (Ryan frowns) yeah an I will bring those walls down with one single grand gesture

Ryan: no, no grand gestures

Seth: yes i'm afraid

Ryan: NO!

Seth: it is time once again for me to stand on that proverbial coffee cart an declare my love for her, maybe ill do it at the carnival (Ryan is shaking his head with his eyes closed) you know what i'm sayin maybe it'll be a hot dog stand

Ryan: ok alright alright, what'do I do about Marissa (looks at Seth)

Seth: (shrugs) I don't know I mean what'do you wanna do

Ryan: (sighs) you sound like Ms Fisher (remembers) oh! (stands up) I forgot to finish the assignment (sits down and works on it)

Seth: hey, hey see where this is goin this is good, look (Ryan looks at him) Marissa's distracting you from school again, Summer an I are gettin back together the thing is by the end of kick off carnival, the four of us we're gonna be exactly the way we were (Ryan looks at him, unconvinced)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy is in there cooking breakfast, Caleb is sitting at the bench and Kirsten walks in

Kirsten: dad, what're you doin here

Sandy: he's havin breakfast

Caleb: Julie is not talking to me, she left me a note to say that she's booked herself into the montage for a three thousand dollar spa weekend

Sandy: (walks to him with plates) but you get the Sandy Cohen lox scramble with a rye toast (puts it down)

Kirsten: so, are ya here to see Sandy so he can bail you out again

Caleb: (looks at her) (sighs) no, i'm not dragging Sandy into anything, before he put these eggs infront'a me he was the closest thing I have to a friend in this town...I came to apologise Kiki (Kirsten hesitates then looks at him) and to ask you to remember that whatever happens in that courtroom, I did what I did for this family

(Kirsten looks away, Sandy looks at Caleb)

Caleb: (stands) I should go

Sandy: where to

Caleb: ill be interviewing lawyers all day then I imagine that ill be at home tonight, shredding documents

Sandy: ah don't do that...have dinner with us instead, I wont cook I promise, although (looks at Kirsten) if Kirsten's mad enough at ya, she might

Caleb: I don't wanna be any trouble

Kirsten: (walks over to Caleb) we'll order in (kisses Caleb on the cheek)

(Sandy looks at Caleb, Caleb smiles and leaves)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan is in Ms Fishers office

Ryan: so-so the thing is i-i'm not really a writer...at all, w-words are kinda not my thing, obviously uh so maybe if I had some more time

Ms Fisher: (picks up something) w-what is this?

Ryan: it's...what I was doing when I shoulda ben doing what ya asked me to do (frowns)

Ms Fisher: yeah but um (points) what is it

Ryan: it's uh the Cohen's new family room um actually (picks it up) that's that's uh what it should've looked like (shows her) but the contractor kinda didn't know what he was doing

Ms Fisher: (smiles) can I see your schedule please

Ryan: (pulls it out) yeah (hands it to her)

Ms Fisher: because we're going to need to get you into some advanced math an science classes (Ryan frowns) some calculus, physics

Ryan: whoa whoa whoa whoa um, why

Ms Fisher: you'll need them if you wanna become an architect (Ryan looks at her) isn't that what you want (Ryan looks at her, thinking)

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - she walks out of the door and Jimmy walks up to her

Kirsten: hey

Jimmy: you takin off

Kirsten: yeah dads coming over for dinner tonight, I left a message on Hailey's cell inviting you guys but I never heard back

Jimmy: oh that's cause uh, she's probably half way to Japan by now

Kirsten: did she at least tell you or...

Jimmy: yeah no she told me yeah uh-hm I jus didn't listen...I asked her ta...marry me instead

Kirsten: (sad) oh Jimmy...

Jimmy: no its good its good its-its you know i'm happy for her it's...you know it's what she always wanted so (shrugs)

Kirsten: what'do you want (looks at him)

Jimmy: I don't know, I thought I wanted to spend the rest'a my life with Hailey (shrugs) (sighs) it was-it was fun

Kirsten: i'm sure, living on a yacht, drinking all day, sailing off to Cabot

Jimmy: how come when you say it, it sounds bad

Kirsten: (laughs) listen'a me (Jimmy listens) you can do whatever you want with your life, but your not gonna waste it, wont let ya (Jimmy looks at her) Hailey's made her move...what's yours

(Jimmy shrugs, then they both walk off)

CUT TO: The kick off carnival, its now night - Ryan and Seth are standing outside the entrance

Seth: we can jus not go

Ryan: we can't not go we're here

(they start walking)

Seth: (sighs) look at em oblivious havin fun, to them its all funnel cakes an fried snickers, just a chance ta mingle it up with the carnie foke an win a ...really awesome stuffed sock monkey

Ryan: for us?

Seth: but for us kick off carnival usually determines the course of our romantic lives for the entire year

Ryan: no pressure

Seth: well we did good last year, we did ok, you kissed Marissa on the ferris wheel, Summer threw up on my shoes (sighs)

Ryan: I think I know how you felt(?)

(Ryan sees Marissa standing at the ferris wheel by herself)

Seth: i'm gonna go find a hot dog stand to climb, good luck

(Ryan nods and looks at Marissa again and Marissa sees him, she puts her hand up to wave, Ryan slowly walks over)

Marissa: I was gonna tell you

Ryan: no you weren't, I asked you point blank an you lied

Marissa: I didn't lie...

Ryan: Marissa

Marissa: (upset) what was I suppose'to do wait for you, you weren't coming back

Ryan: I wanted you to tell me the truth

(Marissa looks away, Ryan looks at her)

Marissa: his names D.J, he works for my parents so we had to keep it a secret...from everyone...but we're not seeing each other anymore

Ryan: after last night when he found out about me right (Marissa looks at him) look i'm sorry for right now we should...we should jus be friends

Marissa: friends? (Ryan looks at her) Ryan we're not friends we were never just friends

Ryan: I guess that was the problem then, see ya

(Ryan walks away and Marissa watches him - Summer and Zach are walking together)

Zach: so what'll it be a funnel cake or a fried snickers

Summer: uh bottled water

Zach: what, you can't come to a carnival an just have bottled water

Summer: no I meant with the funnel cake an the snickers (laughs) (Zach stares at her) what (Zach kisses her)

(Zach walks off then turns back with a huge smile on his face. Summer stands there smiling, then she looks at something, she closes her eyes shakes her head and looks again then squints. we see what she is seeing, which is Seth trying climb over a huge blow up hot dog, he tries to put his foot on the bottom of the but but it slips off so he puts one leg straight onto the counter. Summer makes a 'what now' expression then walks over to him. Seth is straddling the counter with one foot on one side, and the other hanging over the blow up hot dog)

Summer: Cohen! (frowns) what're you doing

Seth: nothin, why

Summer: well it looks like your humping the hotdog stand

Seth: no actually uh-hh Summer i'm not even humping anything (stands on the bench) you know how I love ta stand on counter tops in public places (Summer looks around) you know hotdog stands, coffee carts

Summer: (realises, closes her eyes) oh no (shakes her head)

Seth: because (loud) Summer Roberts

Summer: (yells) Cohen do - not

Seth: I LOVE YOU

(Zach walks up to them)

Zach: what? (Summer looks at him)

Seth: (waves) Zach how's it goin

Summer: Zach don't listen to him he's... crazy he reads comic books (makes a face at Seth)

Zach: I know so do I

Summer: you do

(Seth 'tries' to step down from the counter but because the blow up hot dog is slippery it's more of a comedic fall/slide)

Seth: Zach listen an I really hope that this doesn't effect the league, its jus that Summer an I sorto have a history

Summer: but no future (to Zach) we are leaving (grabs his arm)

Seth: wait, hold on a second jus let me- hear me out for a second

Summer: Cohen! back - off I mean it

Seth: fine jus hear me out for like one second

Zach: (steps in) Seth, she said back off...please

(Seth shrugs, Summer walks between them, Zach follows her and Seth stands there with his hands out. Ryan comes over)

Ryan: you alright

Seth: no but I have not yet begun to fight Ryan, ill grovel if it should come to that

(Seth walks off, Ryan tries to say something but the words don't come, he goes after Seth - we see Seth running to the car park then a car moving through the car park. Seth runs around the cars and stops dead in the middle of where the car is headed, he puts his hand out and shuts his eyes. we hear a screech and Zach breaks. Summer undoes her seat belt and gets out of the car)

Summer: (worried) Cohen (Zach watches her) (Seth slowly opens his eyes) oh my god are you ok

Seth: yeah fine

Summer: (hits him hard) god!

Seth: ow

Summer: (yells) what the hell do you think your doing, this isn't a game (pushes him) Cohen you could've gotten hurt!

Seth: (rubs his arm) good thing I didn't

Summer: (upset) ...what'do you want from me Cohen

Seth: ...I just want you

Summer: (shakes her head) no you don't (Seth looks at her) you had me...you had me at Chrismukkah in a freakin wonder woman costume and you chose Anna! (Seth looks at her) you had me three months ago and you left!

Seth: and I wanna make that up to you

Summer: (upset) it has nothing'to do with me, it is about you and it is always about you (Seth looks at her) what you need and what you want you know it seems that you only want me when you can't have me...you like the chase and that's all (Seth looks away) so you know what...you can have it, i'm going home

(Summer walks back to the car, Zach watches then starts the car. Seth stands there sad. Zach and Summer drive off. Seth watches, in the background Ryan walks up to him)

Ryan: alright man (grabs his arm) lets go

(Seth puts his hand out, and sighs in disbelief. Ryan has his arm around Seth's back and they walk off)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Sandy, Kirsten and Caleb are eating dinner on the floor of the living room, they are sitting on cushions around a little table. Seth and Ryan come in the front door

Sandy: hey guys (Seth waves) your home early

Kirsten: uh you hungry there's some mooshoo(?) left, do you want some

Seth: grandpa you eatin on the floor

Caleb: yes it has come to this

(Seth sits, Ryan sits next to him)

Sandy: unfortunately the family room is still stuck inside the kitchen

Kirsten: how was school?

Seth: oh it was really good i'm never goin back

Sandy: ah just what a father likes to hear

Seth: yeah, Ryan broke up with Marissa again

Ryan: uh Summer broke up with Seth again

Seth: Zach'll never talk to us again

(door bell)

Sandy: (frowns) who

Seth: uh new guy

Ryan: (gets up) ill get it

Seth: but on the plus side you know Ryan he's takin AP physics he's taking AP math an this mooshoo looks delicious

Kirsten: it's really good

(in the background we hear Ryan open the door, then a mans voice)

Guy: Caleb Nichol

(Kirsten looks, Caleb turns around)

Guy: (shows badge) sir your under arrest (Ryan looks at them)

(Kirsten looks stunned)