02x03 - The New Kids on the Block

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x03 - The New Kids on the Block

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - The pool house - Ryan is reading the paper, and there is a photo of Caleb on the front page. the headline reads 'NEWPORT'S MAN OF THE YEAR BEHIND BARS' underneath that is 'Millionaire Developer Embrolled in Scandal'. Seth is in there with Ryan

Seth: (points to his hair) do you think I did the right thing, cutting my hair

Ryan: I can't believe this about your grandfather, he's in big trouble

Seth: yeah I know, the creek an the no paddle (looks in the mirror) damn Oregonian(?) barbers man makin my head to small for my body, how do you work with this mirror

Ryan: (looks at Seth) grandpa - front page - jail

Seth: yeah no I know (points) I was in that photo I got cut out though probably cause'a my hair do

Ryan: (sarcasm) sorry ta see you're so upset

Seth: (sits on the step) (sighs) ill survive it'll grow out

Ryan: i'm talkin about Caleb (stands) looks like Summer was way off base (Seth looks at him) accusing you of making everything about you

Seth: (thinks) my god she is right

Ryan: I was jus kidding man

Seth: no dude here I am going on an on about my hair cut, my grandfathers in the cooler...i'm like a monster dude i'm all I think about an not in a good way

Ryan: there's a good way?

Seth: (stands) hey dude talk to me about anything other then me go give me anything

Ryan: uh here it is (holds up calculator?) first day of AP physics today, actually kinda nervous

Seth: Ryan could you quit fretting over your nerd gear for like five seconds we have a real crisis on our hands unless Summers wrong an i'm not completely insufferable (Ryan looks at him) why didn't you jus tell me then!

Ryan: it was kinda hard gettin a word in I mean you're a good talker, but you're not so good with the liste-

Seth: Summer is right then I have to due- I have to change I have to be like a better person

Ryan: better how

Seth: uhh less selfish, more selfless less take more give, less pitching more catching

Ryan: look man i'm use to it you don't have'to change for me

Seth: no i'm not changing for you

Ryan: for who then, Summer

Seth: uh nope (shakes his head) no uh uh uh I think for the greater good of man

Ryan: so there's no hidden agenda here like sssaayyy getting Summer back

Seth: dude I don't even want Summer back, unless...that is what she wants in which case that's not about me that's about...me supporting her an her wanting of-of-of me (softly) whatever (?) that's what she wants ok

Ryan: just admit it you want her back

Seth: (shakes his head) no no I don't it's the new me Ryan, it is (smiles) world wrap your head around the new Seth Cohen

Ryan: you're talking about yourself in the third person

Seth: (nods) how is Seth's hair right now

Theme Song - California by Phantom Planet

We see a beautiful sh*t of the coast, then we see Sandy and Caleb in the car driving

Sandy: ooooh you can thank me later

Caleb: (looks at Sandy) thankyou...for letting me sleep the night at jail, it was the most vile most inhuman night of my life

Sandy: oh comin from the guy who married Julie Cooper, well that's sayin somethin

Caleb: so aside from coming up with your hillarious one liners, what's our next move

Sandy: my next move is to meet with the partners, make sure they agree to my takin you on as a client

Caleb: why wouldn't they

Sandy: well you're not exactly the ideal client

Caleb: (laughs) what, rich, powerful

Sandy: (looks at Caleb) guilty

Caleb: (points) you missed the turn

Sandy: no i'm not takin ya to the office, Kirsten's meetin us at the house

Caleb: I have a business to run

Sandy: who are you kidding (looks at Caleb) we both know with the exception of the under handed stuff, Kirsten does everything anyway, so step down put Kirsten in charge, that's your next move (Caleb looks at him)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see a very basic car in the car park, its making noises and has blackish patches over the paint work. the car pulls into a parking spot and a girl gets out. 2 cheerleader looking girls see

Lindsay: excuse me (the girls look at her) i'm new um is it alright to park here

Girl: sure, if you're not embarrassed (they both laugh)

(Lindsay looks down the walks behind the back of her car, we see the number plate says '101 PCE'

CUT TO: The student lounge - Ryan and Seth are standing at the food counter

Seth: Ryan what would you like

Ryan: (looks at Seth) you buyin

Seth: no but i'm letting you order first, I may be selfless but i'm still pretty stingey

Ryan: in that case uh lets see, can I have aaaaaaaa (Seth is getting impatient, he has his mouth shut tightly & his eyebrows are raised) (softly) what what'do you got

Seth: (whispers to guy) a large coffee (guy nods) (Ryan looks at him) I jus didn't wanna keep him waiting that would be selfish

Ryan: iced coffee for me please, thanks

Seth: (looks down, frowns) what (picks up flyer) there's a new club at the pier that the Walkmen are playing at (we see the flyer. its bright orange. at the top is the words 'THE BAIT SHOP. underneath that is 'LIVE IN CONCERT' under that is 'THE WALKMEN' under that is the time/place etc) you know who loves the Walkmen

Ryan: you

Seth: yeah and

Ryan: (shrugs) mm-mm

Seth: Summer

Ryan: Summer who is goin out with Zach

Seth: yeah so maybe ill buy her an Zach tickets to the show

Ryan: why would you do that

Seth: out of friendship an to show her how selfless I can be

Ryan: (smiles) and to get her back

Seth: I can't hear you (points to his ear) i'm gonna look into this (walks away)

Ryan: Seth, your coffee

Seth: (picks it up) oh thanks alot ill uh get your next cup (?) (walks away)

(Ryan pays and turns around, he turns straight into Lindsay and his coffee goes all over her top)

Ryan: oh...my god I am so sorry

Lindsay: that was uh refreshing (looks down at her wet top)

Ryan: (turns around to get napkins) uhh here let me uh

(Ryan turns back and smacks her in the face with his elbow. Lindsay drops her bag)

Lindsay: (grabs her nose) ow!

Ryan: (cringes, still holding the napkins) I...am so sorry. you ok (bends down to help her with her bag)

Lindsay: yeah ill have to uh get a rhinoplasty (kneels) but now ill look just like all the other girls here um I-its ok really uh you can leave my tampons where they are

Ryan: (drops them) oh

Lindsay: thanks

Ryan: (stands, avoiding eye contact with her) is there anything I can do

Lindsay: (touches her nose) uh well I guess you could dislocate my shoulder (Ryan looks at her) or shave off my eyebrows, I mean is this how you guys treat all your new students or is today just my lucky day

Ryan: can I buy you a coffee

Lindsay: (quick) ah n-n-n-n-no please please don't i've (backs away)...had plenty thanks an i'm guessing you have too so um (Ryan looks at her) i'm jus gonna go wring out my shirt and stuff toilet paper up my nose an i'm sure ill have no trouble fitting in now...so...thanks (walks away)

(the whole room is looking at Ryan, Ryan closes his eyes)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Kirsten, Sandy and Caleb are sitting in the living room together

Kirsten: dad we have'to think about the future here

Sandy: the only way a company is gonna survive a crisis like this is for the CEO to step down (points) (Caleb looks at him) face it Caleb (sits) its time to get your Martha Stewart on (Caleb closes his eyes)

(door bell)

Kirsten: oh there's more police...(stands) or reporters or...angry stock holders (opens the door) Julie

(Julie walks in)

Julie: Caleb, as soon as I saw the paper (Caleb stands) I walked right out of my seaweed wrap an I came right here

Sandy: oh that's a heart warming tale

Julie: but a relaxing weekend at the montage was exactly what I needed to remind me'a what's important (Caleb looks at her) I know I haven't ben there for you sweetie, but you haven't ben exactly honest with me

Kirsten: uh uh we're gonna...

Sandy: (disappointed) it was just gettin good (stands) alright

(Sandy and Kirsten walk out)

Julie: honey (Caleb sits) um (Julie sits) when Jimmy went down our marriage fell apart, I do not want that to happen to us, we're partners which means we share everything, so put me to work, what can I do...talk to the press, make some calls

Caleb: Kirsten's taking care of all of that

Julie: but she can't do everything, surely there's something I can do (smiles)

Caleb: well there is one thing but

Julie: name it

Caleb: food (Julie isn't impressed) since i'm gonna be working from home we're gonna need some water, some coffee, some'a those pumpkin muffins I like so much...thanks Juju (kisses her on the cheek) (stands) Kirsten, Sandy back to business

(Julie rolls her eyes)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see Zach standing in the hall talking to some other guys, the camera pans across and Zach goes out of focus, Marissa comes into focus, then Summer who is standing at her locker

Marissa: is it just me or is Zach perfect

Summer: (laughs) he's good looking but not into himself, smart but not a show off, athletic but sensitive, a politicians son hey he's like Newport's Prince William

Marissa: (looks) yeah the kinda guy parents love

(they begin to walk)

Summer: hey did I tell you (Marissa looks at her) how stoked my dad is that i'm dating a congressmen's son, he is like dying'to go have lunch with Zach

Marissa: so you gonna do it

Summer: no way! can you remember what a grade A disaster that was with Cohen

Marissa: yeah...but Zach's not Seth

Summer: believe me, I know

(they are now in the student lounge)

Marissa: so then what's the problem, you afraid he might actually like Zach (Summer sits on the couch) (Marissa sits on the opposite one) that you two will live happily ever after (Summer looks over at Zach) with no problems an (shrugs) nothing standing in your way

Summer: no I (frowns) no

Marissa: ooh so then you're not over Seth

Summer: oh I am, i've divested myself of all of Seth's material possessions, I am vibrating Coop at an extremely Cohenless frequency

Marissa: ok, so then you don't really like Zach

Summer: no I mean yes I don't eww-uh shut up!

(Zach comes over)

Zach: hey Summer, Marissa

(Marissa smiles at Zach)

Summer: hey (pats the chair) come sit down

Zach: (sits) oh hey Marissa I was really sorry to read about your step dad in the paper today (Marissa shrugs, then looks at Summer)

Summer: (looks at Zach) you read the paper

Zach: just the uh LA times, the New York Times the Orange County register an the Wall street journal

(Marissa smiles at Summer, Summer looks at Zach)

Zach: (laughs) uh this relationship is probably over now right ill-ill

(Summer smiles and looks at Marissa, Marissa looks at Summer then motions towards Zach as if to say 'say something')

Zach: just go

Summer: (laughs) no no no no stay um (looks at Marissa) actually we were (Marissa looks at Summer) just talking and um (looks at Zach) (smiles) what're you doing this weekend

CUT TO: AP physics - Ryan walks in late and he discovers the only seat left is next to Lindsay

Ryan: uh-hm

(Lindsay looks up and Ryan looks at her hopeful, Lindsay can't believe it.)

Lindsay: you gotta be kidding me

Ryan: I know, I know i'm sorry but uh it's the only seat left, don't worry I promise ill keep my hands to myself

Lindsay: (pulls her chair in) well it's your elbow i'm worried about

Ryan: (walks behind her chair) ah-huh

(Ryan hits some guy on a different table with his bag, so he pulls it around to get out of the guys way and hits Lindsay in the head)

Ryan: (to the guy) sorry

Lindsay: ow (frustrated) why do you hate me so much

Ryan: no I don't i'm sorry

Lindsay: what'did I do

Ryan: (sits) it was an accident

Lindsay: no it was like four accidents, six if you count each individual tampon

Ryan: look I said I was sorry I don't know what else you want me to say

Lindsay: (puts her hands on her head) nothing, infact we never need'to speak to each other again

Ryan: that's too bad I was really enjoying gettin to know you

Lindsay: well I wasn't

Ryan: I was being sarcastic

Lindsay: I wasn't

(Teacher comes in)

Mr. Greenberg: morning guys

(Ryan and Lindsay look at each other, neither happy)

Mr. Greenberg: your favourite physics teacher here Ari Greenberg, with your new lab partner assignments. we've got Adriana Alberghetti with Philip Raskin, Ryan Atwood with...Lindsay Gardener

(Ryan and Lindsay both look around trying to see who there partner is, they both look past each other then Lindsay looks in his direct while he's still looking behind him. he turns back and sees her looking as well. they stare at each other)

Mr. Greenberg: Jennifer Anderson with Jamie Barber

Lindsay: (closes her eyes in disbelief) (sighs) ...Ryan Atwood

Ryan: (looks at Lindsay) Lindsay Gardener (Lindsay nods) (Ryan looks down)

CUT TO: Near the pier - Ryan is riding his bike and Seth is riding his skate board

Seth: Bait Shop, could be our very own seebee geebies(?)

Ryan: (?) what

Seth: come on what the only-the only music they had in Chino was the sounds'a g*n sh*ts an helicopters

Ryan: oooh, lets get the tickets

(they ride towards the Bait Shop - camera changes and they are now inside)

Seth: hello (cups his hands over his mouth) hello (waves)

(we see a girl below them on the ground floor at a computer, she doesn't respond or acknowledge them)

Seth: ok

(Ryan and Seth walk down a spiral stair case to the ground floor)

Seth: hi excuse me uh we're here about tickets

Ryan: (points to his ears) she's got headphones on

Seth: yeah, I can see that thanks (taps girl on the shoulder) excuse me ma'am

(the girl grabs Seth's hand and twists his arm behind his back)

Seth: ahhh

Girl: touch me again, ill hurt you

Seth: ok fine w-what'do you call this

(the girl looks at Ryan, she lets Seth go)

Seth: thanks

Girl: what'do you want

Ryan: tickets for Fridays show

Girl: sold out sorry

(Seth looks at Ryan, Ryan shrugs)

Guy: all set Alex

Alex: awesome, thankyou so much here are your tickets (hands them to him) and um I threw in a couple'a extra

Guy: cool thanks

Ryan: uh why does he get tickets

Alex: because he works here

Seth: well if I work here could I get tickets

Alex: you don't work here

Seth: (points) what's that right there (we see a 'help wanted' sign behind the bar)

Alex: uh you...you wouldn't want that job

Seth: no sure I would sign me up

Ryan: Seth

Alex: you don't wanna know the pay, the hours, job description

Seth: (shakes his head) nah i'm good

Alex: minimum wage, long, uh taking tickets cleaning toilets an the light preparation of fried foods

Seth: well ill be sure an wash my hands between the last two

Alex: I have'to ask Nat the owner (Seth nods) but he's never here so

Seth: perfect

Alex: (grabs mop) ok i'm Alex (slides Seth the mop) you can start right now if I don't fire you by the end of tonight, then come back tomorrow (walks away)

Seth: (proud) I have a mop Ryan!

Ryan: you got a mop bro, so your doin all this for...Summer

Seth: yeah for her friendship

Ryan: wow, you really are changing

Seth: yeah I am, changing urinal cakes that's (points) how committed Seth Cohen is to the new Seth Cohen

Ryan: mm kay now you're talkin about yourself in like the fourth person

Seth: well it's a whole new dimension of selflessness Ryan, now if you'll excuse me i'm off to the urinals

(Seth whistles and disappears out of the sh*t, Ryan stands there. a few seconds later Seth walks back passed Ryan,lol)

Seth: I don't know where they are (whistles)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Ryan is doing his physics homework at the table, Sandy is working at the table

Sandy: (watching Ryan) check out the new Ryan Atwood studying at the breakfast table (Ryan nods) how're classes goin

Ryan: tough - physics

Sandy: oh physics is...tough

Ryan: yeah its not the work it's the students a (points) student to be exact

(Seth comes in)

Seth: (frowns) god my back...personal growth is sooo painful

Sandy: my son doin manual labor id never thought id live to see the day

(Kirsten comes in)

Seth: hey mom check out this ironic twist of events (points) Ryan is now a science nerd, i'm workin a blue collar job

Kirsten: that's nice honey

Seth: mom

Kirsten: (looks at Seth) oh-oh Seth don't worry your grandfathers situation is very serious but your father an I are handling it

Seth: right grandpa, to tell you the truth I haven't even like (Ryan looks at him) um (Kirsten looks at him) ...slept well for the past couple'a nights, sooo concerned have I ben (puts his head down for emphasis) for his well being

Ryan: but everything is gonna be ok

Kirsten: (nods) right...(to Sandy) right?

Sandy: (nods) right

Seth: an what if grandpa like, he did have'to go to some white collar prison with-with tennis an Tivo then

Kirsten: don't worry Seth it won't affect you

Ryan: you wouldn't lose the company

Kirsten: no

Seth: what about the house

Sandy: son (Seth looks at him) that's crazy talk

(Kirsten looks at Sandy, Sandy looks at Kirsten. Seth looks at both of them, Ryan looks at both of them)

CUT TO: Marissa's bedroom - Marissa is sitting at her mirror, and Julie is in there with her

Julie: everything's gonna be fine, I don't want you to worry sweetie

Marissa: (grabs her keys) i'm not

Julie: because its not gonna be like it was with your father, i'm going'to hold this family together

Marissa: (stands) fine

Julie: (stands) Marissa listen'to me, I know that there's alot of uncertainty in our lives right now, but I want you to believe me when I say that Caleb is not going to jail

Marissa: (looks at Julie) oh well that's a shame, cause if Caleb did go to jail then you'd be out on the street an I could go back to living with dad (leaves)

(Julie stands there)

CUT TO: Harbor school - AP physics class, once again Ryan comes in after the bell and the seat next to Lindsay is the only one left. Lindsay gets out of her chair and holds it in for him, he takes it off his bag and holds it over the chair, nowhere near her,lol and sits

Ryan: so should we...maybe exchange numbers or something

Lindsay: (looks at Ryan) for what...

Ryan: to work on our lab report

Lindsay: oh uh no I already turned it in (Ryan looks at her) don't worry I put both our names on it, you'll get an A

Ryan: funny I thought we were suppose'to

Lindsay: yeah I know but uh here's the thing (looks at Ryan) the only reason why I transferred to Harbor was so I could load up on AP courses, get accepted into Yale early an never have'to look at another cheer leader or water polo player ever again (Ryan looks at her) no offence

Ryan: uh-hm ok I think you've got the wrong idea about me...you think i'm stupid

Lindsay: god doesn't give with both hands (patronising) so take the A, enjoy it, it's my treat

Ryan: (thinks) ah-huh (gets up)

Lindsay: where are you going

Ryan: (walks to the teacher) Mr. Greenberg

Mr. Greenberg: yes

Ryan: that lab report Lindsay handed in, i'm afraid i'm not quite finished with it yet

Mr. Greenberg: well it looks perfect to me (to both of them) nice work, you guys make a great team (Lindsay looks at Ryan)

Ryan: actually I didn't get a chance to contribute a whole lot to that report (Lindsay looks down, and puts her head on her hand) an by a whole lot I mean anything

Mr. Greenberg: is this true, Lindsay...look guys good science requires team work part'a the assignment is working together

Ryan: maybe if we had different partners (hopeful)

Mr. Greenberg: no, i'm keepin the two of you together and giving you an additional assignment which you'll do together (Ryan looks down) (Lindsay begins to write her number down) or fail together

(Ryan walks back to his seat. Lindsay tears off her number and hands it to Ryan)

Lindsay: (sarcastically) oh yeah your not stupid at all

(Ryan takes the number and sits down, annoyed)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - Seth is sitting at the bar cleaning individual glasses, behind him Alex is trying to lift up a large crate full of glasses. she barely moves it

Alex: (struggling) ohhh uh a little help here, I think i'm gonna have a hernia

Seth: I had a hernia when I was little once I had to have an operation

Alex: (yells) Seth! can you-

Seth: (gets up) oh oh oh sorry sorry

(Seth kneels down and tries to lift it with his hands, for some reason he instead puts the weight on his shoulder and carries it weirdly instead)

Alex: uh ok (they put it down on the bar)

Seth: my legs just went numb, my legs went numb but we're cool (kicks his legs) that's ok right, that's normal

Alex: you are so out of your element

Seth: no i'm not

Alex: what are you even doing here

Seth: I need tickets (shrugs) gonna do anything to get em

Alex: what are you like a huge fan

Seth: yeah of a certain.. prickly brunette named after my least favourite season

Alex: you're doing this for a girl

Seth: well to be clear i'm actually gettin the tickets for her an her boyfr (can't say it) her boy (heaves) her friend that's a boy, i'm showin her that i'm capable of thinking of somebody other then myself

Alex: oh that's sweet, it's pathetic but sweet

Seth: yeah that's my niche pathetic an sweet

(phone rings)

Alex: (answers) what, no mom (Seth looks at her) I don't know maybe...ok well I love you too an say hi to daddy (hangs up) what

Seth: ...how old are you

Alex: seventeen...

Seth: what! really you don't go ta school

Alex: I use to, but I got kicked out ooofff Corona, Maderday(?) an even Newport Union (Seth looks at her) after that my parents had enough said go away get a job move out, which I did I got my own studio in the numbered streets and (shrugs) I work here an I've never ben happier

Seth: yeah, is this you happy

Alex: (smiles) uh-hm look you barely earned these but (hands Seth tickets)

Seth: heeeey, right on thanks (looks at them) uh alright Summer's gonna be very stoked (Alex looks at him) on-on the band, I hear there really good live an I think the best thing for our friendship is like a good live band

Alex: yeah, as a girl I feel I should probably warn you that thissss whole (Seth listens) little game your planning, she's gonna see right through it

CUT TO: Kirsten's office - Kirsten is on the phone and Sandy comes in

Kirsten: Mr. Brubaker(?) I assure you that my father is innocent (knock) (Kirsten motions for him to come in) I- no uh he's not in the office but...ill have him call you (takes head set off) oooh I am so happy to see you

Sandy: guess who no longer works for Partridge Savage an Con

Kirsten: (suprised) you quit

Sandy: or got fired...quit slash got fired (Kirsten nods) alotto things were said...none of em good (raises his eyebrows)

Kirsten: what happened

Sandy: your father (Kirsten looks at him) they said as long as I was representing him...I wasn't workin for them

CUT TO: Summers room - Summer is lying on her bed watching the Valley, she's holding a stuffed toy to her chest. there is a knock at the door

Summer: its Thursday night no knocking until nine pm

(Seth opens the door. Summer looks over at him and Seth waves)

Summer: Cohen (gets off the bed) how did you get...in here

Seth: uh your step mom (frowns) who's in unusually good spirits

Summer: it's the clonoven(?)

Seth: that would explain the...eye twitch, listen i'm not gonna stay long

Summer: actually you can't stay at all, the Valleys on so you should just

Seth: right no I jus- I-I have something for you

Summer: well unless it's a plutonium fueled car to take me back to last year so I can never date you, i'm not interested

Seth: well ok its two tickets ta the Walkmen tomorrow night

Summer: i'm not going to a concert with you (hits him) ass

Seth: hey, i'm not going ok, well no I am actually i'm going but i'm not gonna go with you, these are for you an Zach

Summer: ...me an Zach

Seth: yeah

Summer: is this a trick

Seth: nope just you know wanted ta do somethin nice, for someone other then myself for a change so hopefully I don't know we can all hang out, we can be friends

Summer: (nods) friends

Seth: ...if you want (Summer half smiles) anyways enjoy the show (leaves) do you want this (points to the door) closed or

Summer: (softly) yeah

(Seth nods and mouths ok, then pulls the door shut - in the background we can hear the Valley a little louder then before, some have speculated that its been done on purpose so what is said is ' I think i'm pregnant...with his baby' )

CUT TO: Jimmy's yacht - Jimmy and Marissa are eating breakfast together

Marissa: thanks for letting me stay over, an thanks for breakfast you finally learned how to make French toast huh

Jimmy: mm anytime, happy to have the company

Marissa: I know what you mean

Jimmy: yeah, what'do you know about being lonely

Marissa: hmm well lets see, my stepfather blackmailed me into living with my mom, my mom shipped my little sister off to boarding school oh an my boyfriend spent the entire summer with a girl who may or may not of ben pregnant with his child and now that he's back he still wont talk to me thanks to D.J

Jimmy: who's D.J

Marissa: it doesn't even matter since he's not talking to me either

(Julie comes up)

Julie: Mariss honey (Marissa sees Julie and rolls her eyes) you ready to go

Marissa: (gets up) i'm gonna go get my stuff (to Jimmy) back to the goolog(?) (Jimmy laughs)

Julie: she knows I heard that, its a little game we play

Jimmy: mm-hmm so how's Caleb

Julie: fantastic never better (nods) ...facing prison we could lose everything

Jimmy: so your gonna divorce him an take his kids

Julie: no (sighs) an you would think he'd be just a little bit grateful, show some appreciation for my personal growth (Jimmy looks at her) he only listens to Kirsten an Sandy

Jimmy: well...the woman I married wouldn't stand for that, nobody puts Julie Cooper...in the corner

Julie: (smiles) (shakes her head) I don't know how this is happening again

Jimmy: maybe cause you keep marrying for money

Julie: I did not marry for money (Jimmy laughs) well I didn't marry you for money

Jimmy: no you married me because you were pregnant

Julie: ...you married me because I was pregnant, I married you because...I loved you (Jimmy looks at her)

(Marissa comes back out with her stuff)

Marissa: bye dad (kisses him on the cheek)

Jimmy: bye sweetheart

Marissa: love you

Jimmy: love you too

(Marissa walks passed Julie)

Julie: (smiles) back to the goolog(?)

(Jimmy smiles and shrugs - Julie smiles and leaves, Jimmy closes his eyes)
CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Lindsay are at a table studying somewhere (library maybe) they are sitting on opposite sides of each other. {Ryan is doing physics stuff and its kind of mumbled so this was the best I could do}

Ryan: (sighs) K E equals one half MP squared (sighs) so if gravity's the constant then we pull again these velocities

Lindsay: Ryan, what're you doing

Ryan: trying to do the assignment

(Lindsay hands it to him, Ryan looks up)

Ryan: except you've already finished it

Lindsay: uh i'm sorry, but if you flunk outto Harbor you can spend the rest of your life floating in your parents infinity pool ok (Ryan looks at her) i'm here on academic scholarship so

Ryan: ok what makes you think my parents have an infininity pool (Lindsay looks at him) I mean they do but, there not my parents, I transferred in from...Chino last year I was just like you

Lindsay: oh really you were...assaulted by the captain of the water polo team

Ryan: (laughs) ok first of all i've never even seen a water polo game, match whatever second of all yeah, yeah I was (Lindsay looks at him) then I took a second to get to know the guy an he turned out to be a pretty good friend

Lindsay: well...um...i'm not here to make friends

Ryan: yeah well mission accomplished (gives her paper back)

Lindsay: (looks at Ryan) ...look clearly this isn't working

Ryan: clearly

Lindsay: so let's just...look you do the first half of the assignment then ill go over it before I put it together with mine

Ryan: then ill go over yours

Lindsay: fine, then I guess we'll have'to get together this weekend and go over it together

Ryan: (shuts his book) (sarcastically) sounds like the perfect way to spend the weekend, see ya (leaves)

(Lindsay watches him leave)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is getting ready for the concert and Zach is in there with her

Zach: (looks at the tickets) the Bait Shop, where is that exactly

Summer: (frowns) I don't know

Zach: so where'd you get these from then

Summer: uh y'know uh Cohen

Zach: (looks at Summer) he gave them to you

Summer: to us

Zach: hmm, why'd he do that

Summer: um, well he said he wants to be friends (smiles) that he's tryin'a change um to be less Coheny an more like, well a person

Zach: ...don't you think he might be tryin that jus to win you back

Summer: (pointed) no...I mean (nicer) no

Zach: ok, lets just say (walks over to her) hypothetically Seth really is changing...would that mean you'd wanna get back together with him

Summer: (unsure) well hypothetically...

Zach: you know what don't answer just go to the concert alone (hands her the tickets)

Seth: Zach...

Zach: see Seth, no bickering no bantering just talk (Summer looks at him) as much as I like you Summer, you need'to figure this out with him...I need you to figure this out

Summer: holy mack...you are like such an adult, I mean your not insecure, your not jealous (Zach smiles) (gasps) are you a robot (touches his chest playfully) huh (smiles)

Zach: (smiles) we had a great time over break right (Summer nods) but if that's all we're spose'to be an we've taken this as far as possible (shrugs) jus let me know...kay

(Zach kisses her on the cheek and leaves, Summer wipes her cheek)

Summer: (softly) kay

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Sandy, Kirsten, Caleb and Julie are around the bench. Sandy is opening a bottle of champagne

Caleb: do you think champagne is really necessary

Sandy: (pops the cork) absolutely, we need to toast, to quitting slash getting fired (pours) to independence

Caleb: you mean un employment

Kirsten: oh dad, jus think how much time Sandy'll have to spend on your case

Caleb: (?) round the house in his black socks an his robe, I can't wait

Julie: Cal, don't you have a toast to make too

Caleb: (looks at Julie) no, uh if it's alright um too much champagne I get giggly (Julie isn't impressed)

Sandy: when have you ever ben giggly

Kirsten: dad, what is it

Caleb: ...Julie an I have ben talking and um i've come to a decision...tomorrow morning i'm calling a press conference to announce that ill be...stepping down from the Newport group an appointing a new CEO

Sandy: (relieved) oh i'm glad you listened to reason

Kirsten: (smiles) dad, wow (laughs)

Julie: uh-hh

(Sandy and Kirsten look at Julie. Julie is smiling)

Caleb: as of tomorrow morning Julie will (Sandy looks at him, not impressed) be the new Chief Executive Officer (Sandy looks at Kirsten) of the Newport group (Kirsten is stunned)

(Caleb drinks his champagne. Kirsten looks at Sandy in disbelief, Sandy looks at Caleb)

Julie: (smiles) who needs more champagne hm

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - the Walkmen are playing on the stage and there are people everywhere. we see a little bit of the band then the camera pans to Ryan walking up the steps to Seth who is taking tickets. Ryan hands him a drink

Seth: hey thanks (takes drink)

Ryan: yep, any Summer sightings (drinks)

Seth: (sighs) no not yet (panics) what if she doesn't show, what if after all this she never knows the blood an sweat an-an other peoples pee that went into getting her those tickets., because Zach took her to like an Incubus concert

Ryan: well then you'd be happy for her cause your her friend, right

Seth: totally, yeah

(Ryan looks over and sees her walk in. Seth looks over as well)

Seth: heeey, you came, where's Zach

Summer: oh um he couldn't make it

Seth: oh that's-that's real- that's too bad um, let me show you to your very VIP seating, it's this way

(Seth leads her away and Ryan touches Seth on the back, then puts his drink down - we see more of the band on stage then the camera changes and Ryan is outside walking near the Bait Shop. he looks up and sees Marissa sitting on a bench by herself looking out at the ocean. he hesitates then walks over to her)

Ryan: hey

Marissa: (turns around to face him) hey, I wasn't planning on coming here tonight, i'm here for team Summer

Ryan: i'm here for team Seth (sits next to her)

(Marissa looks at him then looks back out to the ocean)

Ryan: so what'do you think, Seth an Summer star crossed lovers

Marissa: or...better off just friends

Ryan: destined to be together

Marissa: or just too dysfunctional together to make it work (looks at Ryan)

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) I guess only time will tell

Marissa: (looks at Ryan) yep I guess (looks back out at the ocean)

Ryan: (stands up) you wanna go in, watch the band

Marissa: (smiles) the last time we went to a concert it uh didn't turn out too well

Ryan: things are different now

Marissa: (thinks) well then (stands) come on (touches Ryan on the shoulder) you like this band?

Ryan: I like Journey

(they both smile)

CUT TO: Cohen house - Sandy is seeing Caleb out

Caleb: Julies waiting out in the car, you an I are gonna talk later yes

Sandy: (mad) i'm not sure I wanna talk to you

Caleb: Sandy

Sandy: Kirsten is the one good thing in your life, how could you do this to her...after all she has done for you

Caleb: I have to think of my marriage

Sandy: what does Julie Cooper know about bein the CEO of a multi million dollar company

Caleb: it's a figure head position, you said so yourself Kirsten will continue to run the show

Sandy: an work for Julie? why the hell would she wanna do that (opens the door)

Caleb: what'do you suggest I do

Sandy: I suggest you find a way ta make it up to Kirsten, now (Julie honks the car horn) unless you want Julie to be your lawyer too

(Caleb looks at Sandy then walks out the door. Sandy shuts the door

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see the band singing a slower song then before, then we see Seth and Summer sitting together at a table up stairs.

Seth: can you see ok

Summer: yeah I can see fine

Seth: there's no like obstructed views or anything right

Summer: (nods) right

Seth: ok, I jus know sometimes at shows you can't see so well cause you know tall people stand-

Summer: yeah right you know but now i'm jus having a hard time hearing (Seth moves slightly away) (feels bad) but thanks...for getting me a seat

Seth: no problem

Summer: look Cohen I think we need to really talk

(Alex comes up to them)

Alex: hey there you are look some guy just puked all over an amplifier an-

Seth: (puts his thumb out) i'm on it

(Alex walks away)

Summer: (frowns) why was that tattooed girl jus telling you about vomit

Seth: she's uh she's my boss I actually work here now

Summer: what?

Seth: yeah (points to his Bait Shop shirt) it was the only way I could get those tickets

Summer: but why

Seth: well...I needed the tickets to show you that I could be selfless (Summer looks at him) an I needed to be selfless to get you to stop hating me (sincerely) an I really needed you to stop hating me so that we could be friends

Summer: (half smiles) Cohen that was really sweet

Seth: pathetic an sweet

Summer: (laughs) no just sweet

(Seth smiles then looks down, Summer looks down. they both look over at the band and Seth looks sad, he looks at Summer. Summer looks at him, Seth looks at her, Summer looks at him and then Seth leans forward and {stupidly} kisses her)

Summer: mm (pulls away)

Seth: i'm sorry (puts his hands on his head) i'm sorry oh god

(Summer walks away)

Seth: come on, i'm sor- Summer jus wait a second (follows Summer)

(Summer runs across the bridge thing they have, and Seth pushes through the crowd after her. we then see Seth coming out of the doors to outside, we see Summer standing at the railing near the water. Seth slowly walks up to her)

Summer: you are unbelievable!

Seth: not in a good way, right

Summer: I thought you just wanted'to be friends

Seth: I do (shrugs)

Summer: (looks at Seth) well then what was that, that kiss

Seth: I don't know, I didn't mean for it to happen

Summer: really

Seth: yeah

Summer: so this whole night wasn't just a plan to get me back

Seth: (shakes his head) no absolutely not (Summer nods) ...unless maybe that's what you want an then-

Summer: Cohen (walks away)

Seth: what! (follows) come on just wait a second

Summer: (turns around, upset) I believed you! how you were changing that you jus wanted'to be friends

Seth: I do that's I- (tries to speak but nothing comes out) (Summer looks at him) maybe I jus I cant be jus friends with you

Summer: well then I guess maybe...this is it for us (walks away)

(Seth stands there watching helplessly as she walks away)

CUT TO: The pool house the next morning - Seth looks like crap, Ryan is getting ready to go meet Lindsay. Seth is sitting against the door with his head leaning on his hand

Seth: I am sooo tired right now, I-I didn't even sleep at all (sighs) ohhh dude the only thing holding my head up is my lungs

Ryan: (looks at Seth) sorry man

Seth: (closes his eyes) I handled that Summer situation...so wrong I just...I really should'a never returned her phone calls

Ryan: (frowns) she never called you

Seth: an I should'a dated other girls

Ryan: what other girls (frowns)

Seth: maybe if I played her hot an cold, right messed with her mind a little bit then I don't know I think it potentially could of worked

Ryan: look man i'm sorry, really I am, and I would love to rehash the evening second by second one more time but i'm late

Seth: late for what (stands)

Ryan: uhh i'm meetin my lab partner I got this physics assignment (sighs)

Seth: on a Saturday, Ryan the whole geek routine was really amusing at first but I think you're takin things a little bit too far

Ryan: this chick is goin down

Seth: please dude I just need'a talk about me for like several more hours at least

Ryan: I thought you didn't do that anymore

Seth: no that was the new Seth Cohen, i'm back Ryan Cohen classic red white me, come on

Ryan: hang in there, I wont be gone long (leaves)

(Seth sighs and falls back on Ryan's bed dramatically,lol)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Kirsten is sitting at her dresser looking lost and Sandy comes in and kisses her on the head. Kirsten smiles and looks up at him, then she looks down sad

Sandy: the light'a dawn make any'a this a little easier to take (sits)

Kirsten: (softly) harder actually

Sandy: (nods) so what're you gonna do

Kirsten: ill tell ya this, i'm not going back to the office...I may tolerate Julie as my step mother but I will not suffer the indignity of her being my boss

Sandy: which means as of Monday we're both officially un employed

Kirsten: oh there's a concept

Sandy: come on, you an me couple'a bath robes some black socks

Kirsten: (laughs) the thought of that is sooo

Sandy: liberating

Kirsten: scary

Sandy: forget the black socks, barefoot baby (whispers) barefoot

Kirsten: I can't be unemployed I-I can't even take a vacation for more then a week without freaking out

Sandy: a vacation with you is no vacation, what with the itineraries an the...sight seeing

Kirsten: I just I can't of worked this hard an not have something to show for it...I don't know...cant quit...cant go back there

Sandy: I don't know either, but what I do know is (looks at Kirsten) i'm not the one you should be tellin this too

(Kirsten looks at Sandy)

CUT TO: The mansion - Marissa is lying on her bed with her 'share bear' in her arm, she looks sad. there is a knock at the door, Marissa lifts her head and sees Seth's head peeking around the corner. Seth waves then walks in

Marissa: (sits up) hey

Seth: hey

Marissa: Seth, you're in my room

Seth: (looks around) yeah

Marissa: ...how'd you get in here

Seth: I uh took a left at the grato(?) an then I hopped the fernicular(?) to the dumb waiter (touches her bed post) this is a...nice place

Marissa: ...so what're you doing in here

Seth: well, when I have a problem Marissa I like to talk about incessantly (nods) (Marissa looks at him as if to say 'and') yeah no that's it I just think I b*rned out anyone else who will listen so (shrugs) uh-hm, is now a bad time

Marissa: i'm game (moves to the edge of her bed and pats the next to her for him to sit)

Seth: (sits) (sighs) so...I think I really messed things up with Summer last night...hurt her pretty bad

Marissa: yeah, you did

Seth: ok not gonna sugar coat this one huh

Marissa: (smiles) not for you (pushes him playfully) (Seth smiles) look if you really wanna be her friend...then maybe you should think about (shrugs) just apologising (Seth considers it) you know say you were sorry

Seth: yeah I know, I know (nods) sounds so simple when you say it

Marissa: (shrugs) I think that's a good place to start

Seth: ok, uh do you happen'a know where Summer is right now, I jus have this thing that I gotta tell her

Marissa: yeah (smiles) she's at the club having lunch with her dad

Seth: oh yeah the father (Marissa realises who else) (stands) cool well i'm jus gonna y'know uh-hm

Marissa: whoa Seth you know what, don't go there now just uh give her some space

Seth: yeah space totally, I know

Marissa: (thinks) hey do you know where Ryan is, cause we had fun last night an I just thought maybe

Seth: Ryan's actually at school doing his physics homework

Marissa: (frowns) school

Seth: (shrugs) yeah I don't know he's kind of a dork now (waves) thanks (leaves)

(Marissa waves back then sits there thinking)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard - Kirsten is sitting at the table reading a magazine, in the background we see Sandy bringing Caleb out

Sandy: she's agreed to supervised visitation, twenty minutes max

Caleb: she's my daughter Sandy, I don't need to be supervised

Sandy: i'm supervising her, i'm afraid she might k*ll ya

(Caleb looks over at Kirsten, she looks like hell, Caleb walks over and she closes her eyes)

Caleb: (sits) ...i'm sorry (Kirsten looks at him) about yesterday

Kirsten: so that's it, no second thoughts, your not gonna change your mind

Caleb: it's what I have'to do Kiki, for Julie to save our marriage

Kirsten: who's gonna save the company

Caleb: you (Kirsten looks at him) that's why i'm appointing you Newport groups chief financial officer, cause we all know whoever controls the money controls the company

Kirsten: really...does Julie know that

Caleb: she'll find out

Kirsten: I don't know

Caleb: come on Kiki, the company needs you, the family needs you, I need you (Kirsten closes her eyes) Julie'll get bored after a day anyway, wanna go to cardio bar, fashion island

Kirsten: ...do I get a raise (Caleb smiles)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Ryan and Lindsay are at the same table as before, sitting opposite each other. Ryan is looking over Lindsay's work

Lindsay: so um...I appreciate what your tryin'a do with the gr-

Ryan: (reading) Lindsay, i'm not done reading yet(?)

Lindsay: oh uh take your time, I just wanted to let you know that...you didn't do a bad job

Ryan: (looks up) your work isn't terrible either...a little rushed maybe

Lindsay: (smiles) ...so i've ben thinking um...I owe you an apology (Ryan looks at her) well several actually

(Ryan looks at Lindsay, Lindsay looks at Ryan)

Ryan: you have'to actually say the words (smiles) that's kinda how it works

Lindsay: (smiles) I would like to extend...to you (Ryan nods) a formal acknowledgement that iiiii ...may have um...unintentionally (Ryan looks at her) ...(laughs) i'm sorry

Ryan: me too, i'm sorry, i'm-i'm sorry about the coffee an the...black eye an the tampons

Lindsay: (smiles) well you can see why I thought you were...intellectually challenged right, i'm jus (Ryan looks at her) i'm really glad that your not uh your uh penman ship (laughs) however

Ryan: hey, hey (looks at it) what's wrong with my penman ship

(Marissa comes around the corner and sees them together)

Lindsay: uh nothing just...next time don't hold the pen between your toes

(Marissa stands there and watches them)

Ryan: oh well um next time, don't spell cancelling with two L's (holds it out to her) yeah that's wrong (Lindsay grabs for it and he pulls it back) you wanna, you wanna fix it

Lindsay: (gets up and goes around to his side) I am- I was using the Canadian spelling

(Marissa smiles, then looks sad)

Ryan: (Canadian accent) ooh you we're usin the Canadian spellin hey

(Marissa turns away and walks down the hall, she has her arms folded and just looks so sad/lonely/lost)

CUT TO: Seth walking outside in a suit and tie, he walks up some stairs then we see he has entered the restaurant that he, Summer and Summer's dad had lunch at.

Seth: hi i'm looking for uh Roberts table for two

Lady: (checks) we've got Roberts for three

Seth: great (the lady points) thankyou

(Seth walks towards the dining room then stops, we see what he sees which is Mr. Roberts, Zach and Summer at a table together. Seth watches sad - we see Summer laughing/happy {not like she was when she and Seth has lunch} Zach is also laughing with Mr. Roberts and it looks like they are getting on well - Seth watches and Summer puts her hand on Zach's, Zach rubs Summer's hand with his thumb. Zach looks at Summer and smiles - Seth nods and looks away, he pulls on his tie then slowly turns around and walks away, that scene fades to a view of the ocean, the camera moves down so we can see Marissa sitting on a bench by herself, looking out at the ocean (appears to be the same one as before) the camera changes and we see the Bait Shop behind her and Seth walking up slowly. Marissa is sitting with her hands in her lap looking down)

Seth: hey

Marissa: (looks over) hey

Seth: (sits next to Marissa) ...if someone would'a told me last year... (Marissa looks at him) that you an I would be the two loneliest people in Newport I wouldnt'a believed em...well (sighs) at least not the you part (Marissa looks at him sad)

(the camera pulls out on the backs of them sitting together - fade out)