02x24 - The Dearly Beloved

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

02x24 - The Dearly Beloved

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Sandy's office at home - the first thing we see is a close up of a brochure. we see a picture of some palm trees, a fountain and a beautiful view. along the bottom reads 'HOLISTIC DRUG REHAB HEALING AND WELLNESS PROGRAM. Sandy is on the phone while holding the brochure in his hand

Sandy: I can meet you right away

(Sandy turns the brochure over and we see that it is the SURIAK TREATMENT CENTER one from before)

Sandy: I want to...I have a funeral to go to in a couple of hours so I gotta keep it brief but...the sooner the better...thankyou (hangs up)

(we see an aerial sh*t of the houses and then we see Seth coming down the stairs in the Cohen house. Kirsten walks by just as he steps off the stairs. they both don't look so great)

Seth: hey

Kirsten: hi

Seth: (worried) everything ok

Kirsten: ben better (sad smile)

Seth: (looks at Kirsten) I'm sorry about everything

Kirsten: that's ok sweetie (touches Seth's cheek) he loved you very much

Seth: yeah, I'm gonna miss him

Kirsten: need anything

Seth: no I'm jus looking for my cell phone charger an my batteries dead

Kirsten: there might be a charger in your dad's office, I'm gonna get ready

Seth: alright

(Kirsten walks off - the next thing we see is Seth opening the drawers in Sandy's desk. he opens one and closes it, then another, he lifts up some papers and then closes it. he opens another and rests his finger on the blue SURIAK brochure. he picks it up and looks at it, frowning)

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan draws up a blind and then opens the door. Seth walks in the other door

Ryan: (sees Seth) oo, hey

Seth: hi

Ryan: how you doin

Seth: (frowns and looks at Ryan) well I was depressed (holds out the brochure) now I'm depressed an confused

Ryan: (looks at the brochure) it's a rehab center where'd you get this

Seth: my dads office...an I don't think he's tryin'a kick bagels (frowns)

Ryan: (looks up) I don't think it's for your dad

(Seth looks where Ryan is looking and we see Kirsten lower a blind at the main house, she looks completely out of it. Seth and Ryan both look worried)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Suriak rehab - Sandy is there talking with the Dr in thegarden

Dr: why don't you tell me a little more about your wife, about her history

Sandy: you know well Kirsten's always enjoyed a glass'a wine or two...but in the last few months, it's changed, she's changed

Dr: changed how

Sandy: she switched to vodka for starters...last week she had a car accident (shakes his head) an now I'm afraid with the loss of her father things are gonna get worse (looks at Dr)

Dr: I assume you'd want her to have a residential treatment (Sandy raises his eyebrows) as you can see (we see the setting from the brochure, almost identical) we provide a confidential an peaceful environment for recovery (looks at Sandy)

Sandy) you know doctor I (sighs) I might be over reacting

Dr: (nods) I know how hard it is to accept, we all wanna think we can get someone we love through something like this

Sandy: (looks away) ...she's not gonna come voluntarily

Dr: very few of our patients check themselves in

(Sandy looks at the Dr, then looks away. he looks worried and unsure)

CUT TO: Marissa's bedroom - Marissa is looking at her bruise in the mirror, she pulls her robe aside to get a better look and puts her finger on it. we hear a knock at the door, she panics and quickly closes her robe back over the bruise

Marissa: I'm getting ready

Julie: (opens the door and goes in) hey, all'a my black dresses look like they should be accessorised with a broom stick (Marissa looks at her) d'you have anything I can borrow

Marissa: it's a funeral mom not a fashion show (Julie looks hurt) ...(frowns) sorry um (stands) look let me see what I've got ok

Julie: (puts her hand out) wait, I can do it

Marissa: no, you've ben through...more then enough (folds her arms) (shrugs) I didn't mean to be a bitch

Julie: apples an trees, you are my daughter

Marissa: (half smiles) which means I must have something that'll look great on you

(Julie smiles and we hear the doorbell. Marissa frowns. - we then see a silhouette standing at the front door pressing the doorbell. Marissa comes down the stairs and opens the door. Jimmy is standing there, he smiles at her)

Marissa: (suprised) dad

Jimmy: hey kiddo (smiles)

Marissa: (huge smile) hey

(Marissa hugs Jimmy. she looks happy but confused. we see Julie come down the stairs and stop)

Jimmy: hey Jules

Julie: Jimmy...what're you doing here

Jimmy: well you didn't think id leave you two alone during all this did ya (Marissa and Julie don't say anything) well I could see how you might but I'm (shakes his head) I'm so sorry, I really am

Julie: its really good to see you (smiles)

Marissa: yeah (smiles) really good

Jimmy: well I'm sure its ben a hard week but uh...we'll get through it

(Marissa smiles, Jimmy smiles back then looks up at Julie. Julie half smiles)

CUT TO: Cohen front door - we hear a doorbell, then we see Kirsten go to answer the door. she's now dressed for the funeral. Kirsten opens the door and Hailey is standing there

Hailey: (smiles) hey sis

Kirsten: hey

(Kirsten and Hailey hug. Kirsten closes her eyes)

Hailey: oh it's so good to see you

(Kirsten smiles and shuts the door)

Hailey: (puts down her bag) he said his heart thing was no big deal (sighs) not worth flying home for

Kirsten: he didn't wanna worry you (puts her arm around Hailey) you were his little girl

Hailey: (sadly) mm I know...but after all these years I caused him nothing but stress an anxiety (sighs)

Kirsten: (looks at Hailey) nothing made him more proud then seeing you get your life together...me (puts her hands on her hips) last time I saw him...I told him he was gonna die alone

(Kirsten walks away and Hailey watches her)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth is on his bed reading a book called SEX, dr*gs, AND COCOA PUFFS* by Chuck klosterman. we hear a knock and then Summer walks in, holding Princess Sparkle in her hand

Seth: (looks up) hey

Summer: hey Cohen, Captain Oats around (gets on the bed) I brought him some company

Seth: Princess Sparkle you're in my room

Summer: yeah (frowns) I figured Oats'd be pretty down, could use the companionship of someone sweet an pretty with shinier hair, that would just you know...be there for him (puts Princess Sparkle next to Captain Oats)

Seth: yeah, well Captains pretty lucky

Summer: yeah well, if he gets fresh with her its straight to the glue factory (holds Seth's hand)

Summer: (moves closer to Seth) hi...I know (looks at Seth) you an your grandpa were close

Seth: (looks down) it's actually my mom that I'm worried about

Summer: (frowns) your mom

Seth: yeah (frowns) ...this morning I was in my dads office an I found a uh found a brochure for rehab

Summer: (looks at Seth) oh my god, well has she ben drinking alot

Seth: well I mean she's a WASP living in Orange County (looks at Summer) so it's all relative right (Summer listens) I don't know she has...a glass'a wine at dinner, maybe two

Summer: anymore then that

Seth: that's the thing I've ben so self involved this passed year I don't even know, I have no idea (looks at Summer) an I'm sure its you know...at least partially my fault, I know running away was really hard on her last summer an-

Summer: (frowns) Cohen, no offense but your being self involved again (looks at Seth, half smiles) I think this is bigger then you (nods)

Seth: (puts his head back and sighs) I should go put on my tie, it always takes me a few tries

Summer: yeah

(Summer puts her other arm {the one that's not holding his hand) under his arm and rests her head on his shoulder)

CUT TO: Treys apartment - we see Jess sitting outside the front door. Trey walks up

Trey: I didn't think you got up this early

Jess: (stands) well maybe I haven't ben to sleep yet, something's come up

(Trey unlocks the door and goes inside. Jess follows him)

Trey: what's goin on

Jess: its graduation time (shuts the door) which always means big business, got a call from a couple'a kids who basically supply Garden Grove (sits on the arm of the couch)

Trey: (raises eyebrows, looks at Jess then away) I'm real happy for ya

Jess: for us (smiles) it's gonna be huge, like fifteen grand (looks at Trey) ill give you half

Trey: (scoffs) an why would you do that

Jess: cause I need your help

(Jess reaches back and picks up her bag, she unzips it and takes out a g*n. she holds the g*n out to Trey)

Trey: where the hell did you get that

Jess: d'you know how to use it

Trey: (takes the g*n off Jess and puts it on the coffee table) I'm not like a sn*per or anything

Jess: can you point it at somebody like you mean it (Trey looks at her) then you get half (goes over to Trey) now (stands either side of Treys legs) I definitely (Trey looks at her) need to get some sleep

(Jess nods and walks away, teasingly. Trey looks at the g*n)

CUT TO: Calebs funeral - the first thing we see is a winding road next to the ocean. we see cars slowly driving down the road in a line, most of them are black. this fades to a close up of the cars still coming. this then fades to them arriving at the funeral service. we see Seth get out of a limo, and then Sandy gets out on the opposite side followed by Kirsten. Ryan gets out the same side Seth did. this fades to a zoomed out sh*t of the cars,people etc. this fades to a sh*t of Julie getting out of the car, and Jimmy is with her. Jimmy shuts the door and they begin to walk away {its interesting to note that both Kirsten and Julie are wearing dark glasses to hide their eyes} we see Kirsten walking near them and when she sees them she looks almost happy. Hailey gets out of the car in the background. Jimmy goes over and gives Kirsten a hug, Kirsten mouths 'thanks for coming'. Sandy kisses Julie on the cheek. Julie looks as though she's been crying, or is teary now, I can't tell because of the glasses! Kirsten says "Julie" and then they start walking in together. this then fades to a sh*t of everybody starting to walk in)

VO: we are gathered here today to pay our last respects to Caleb Nichol

(we are now inside the chapel. it is the same one that Caleb and Julie we're married in :'(. the coffin is sitting at the front with a big flower arrangement resting on top. this fades to Sandy standing in front of everyone, saying the eulogy)

VO: his loss is felt across the county

Sandy: Caleb Nichol was not a man'a many words

(we see Marissa and Julie sitting in the front pew on the left. Jimmy is in the pew behind them and Summer is sitting next to him)

Sandy: he was however a brilliant man

(we see Seth and Ryan sitting in the second pew from the front, on the right)

Sandy: he leaves a legacy of possibility

(we see that Kirsten and Hailey are sitting in the front pew on the right)

Sandy: but, his true achievement, were his children

(we see a close up of Kirsten starting to break down)

Sandy: he was a caring father, a wonderful grandfather (Seth puts his hand on Kirsten's shoulder, for comfort) a truly terrible father in-law

(this fades to Hailey in front of everybody)

Hailey: though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil

(this fades to everybody starting to stand. Seth, Ryan, Kirsten, Hailey & Jimmy aren't in the pews anymore. Sandy's eulogy continues as a voice over)

Sandy VO: so, he may be gone, but he won't soon be forgotten...rest in peace Cal, an if you can't do that I'm sure heaven could use a few more Mc mansions

(we see Kirsten standing with her hand on her mouth, upset. Sandy and Seth walk by, followed by Ryan. the camera zooms out to show they are carrying Caleb's coffin. Sandy and Seth are at the front on either side, with Ryan behind Sandy on the left. I am sure Jimmy would also be helping (as he was missing from the pews) but you don't see him. the last thing we see is a close up of the front of the coffin, with Sandy and Seth's hands still holding it)

Heard over the above scene:

where are we?

what the hell is going on?

the dust has only just began to fall

crop circles in the carpet, sinking, feeling

spin me around again and rub my eyes, this can't be happening

when busy streets a mess with people would stop to hold their heads heavy

Hide and Seek

you don't care a bit

you don't care a bit

you don't care a bit

you don't care a bit

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - someone puts a crate down on the bar. Jess walks off the stairs and over towards Trey, who is working behind the bar

Trey: (not happy to see Jess) what're you doing here (puts the crate on the floor) (Jess looks at him) you know I have'ta work for a living

Jess: yeah, well keep hanging out with me an soon you wont have to

Trey: let me ask you a question, why don't you ever worry about like calculus or Armenian? History like a normal teenager

Jess: bad parenting (raises eyebrows) so, looks like everything's gonna go down tonight, an it's gonna go down here

Trey: oh no no, what'do you mean here

Jess: I needed some place public, the last kid who sold to these guys ended up with a tire iron upside the head

Trey: (looks at Jess) great

Jess: look if you don't wanna do it (smiles)

Trey: look I (clenches his teeth) (softly) I said I'm gonna do it an I will, but after this I am done

(Trey takes the crate and walks away. Jess looks happy)

CUT TO: The Cohen's house/the wake - we see a gorgeous picture of Caleb and Kirsten in a picture frame, sitting on a table with some food. the camera pans and we see Hailey walk inside, she smiles and goes over to Jimmy who is getting himself some food

Hailey: I figured if I didn't initiate, you wouldn't talk to me

Jimmy: Hailey, hey (smiles) (hugs Hailey) no I'm sorry I had my hands full with...Julie an Marissa

Hailey: so you don't totally hate me for bailing on you

Jimmy: people in glass houses Hale

Hailey: (smiles) so you moved ta Hawaii, how is it

Jimmy: ah, it's fantastic, you would not believe the North Shore

Hailey: so I've heard

(Jimmy smiles and looks over at Kirsten. we see Kirsten greet someone near the door, and then drink her drink)

Jimmy: she's uh she's taking it pretty hard huh (frowns)

(Hailey looks over and we see Kirsten put her empty glass on the tray as a waiter walks by)

Hailey: (worried) I've never seen her like this

(we then see Kirsten, who looks like hell, walk into the kitchen and open the fridge. she takes out the bottle of vodka and pours herself a drink. Sandy walks in)

Sandy: (raises eyebrows) you know we have bar tenders we're payin to do that

Kirsten: I don't like waiting in line (drinks)

Sandy: (closes his eyes) you know honey its still early...this things gonna be goin on for a while maybe you wanna pace yourself (looks at Kirsten, worried)

Kirsten: (puts the glass down) maybe I don't, my father jus d*ed, maybe you wanna lay off the Kirsten drink count for a while (pours herself another drink)

Sandy: ...I know you're upset

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) you're right, I am (walks away)

(Julie is standing just outside of the kitchen and saw what just happened. she goes over to Sandy)

Julie: I...if it would help I could take over Kirsten watch for a while

Sandy: I don't know if anything is gonna help...

Julie: so then let her glower at me I'm use to it

Sandy: unfortunately so am I these days (looks at Julie) thankyou Julie

(Julie smiles and walks off in the direction Kirsten went. Sandy sighs. we see Julie over with Kirsten, she puts her hand on her back - we are now in the backyard with Seth, Marissa and Ryan)

Seth: ok I 've officially talked ta every pillar of the community, I'm sick of pillars (screws up his face)

Ryan: at least you don't have everyone asking if you're the guy that b*rned down Caleb's model home, caused him to have his first heart att*ck

Marissa: yeah well everyone's looking at me like I'm the grieving step daughter (frowns) I don't think the guy could stand me

Seth: (looks around) ok where is Summer, is she...smoking the salmon herself

Ryan: you guys wanna hide in the pool house

Seth: ah, so bad

Marissa: (nods) mm

(Seth Ryan and Marissa head off towards the pool house - we are now back inside. we see Kirsten standing by herself near the door. Summer is at the food table and notices Kirsten. Summer puts some tomato on a plate and then picks up 2 plates and walks over towards Kirsten)

Summer: (smiles) hey Mrs. Cohen I thought you might be hungry

Kirsten: oh no thankyou Summer

Summer: oh well if my step mother taught me anything, it's to never drink on an empty stomach (half laughs)

Kirsten: (nods) (cold) thanks for the tip

(Kirsten walks away. Summer just stands there. Sandy looks at Kirsten worried, then over at Summer. Summer turns around and sees Sandy)

Sandy: hey Summer

Summer: hey, Mr. C (smiles)

Sandy: boy you really cleaned out the buffet huh

Summer: well I have extra if you want any

Sandy: I am powerless before a white fish (Summer laughs) hey, could you do me a little favour (Summer listens) this thing is gonna be goin on for a little while (Summer nods) an you know Seth's ben through alot in the last couple'a days an (raises eyebrows) it might be a great idea if you could get him outta the house for a little while

(Sandy motions with his head over to Kirsten. Summer looks over and we see Kirsten put an empty glass back on the tray and takes a full one, she takes a drink)

Summer: (nods) yeah, sure thing

Sandy: thanks

(Summer walks away and Sandy looks as though he's worried, and worn out)

CUT TO: The pool house - we see a video game on the TV and then we see that Ryan and Seth are sitting on the end of the bed playing each other. Marissa is sitting on the side ledge watching them. Summer comes in

Summer: hey

(Ryan, Seth and Marissa all look over)

Summer: um funeral food is like so depressing, I thought maybe we could go get some chili fries an...maybe stop by the Bait Shop or something (hopeful)

Seth: good idea (stands)

(Marissa looks worried)

Marissa: uh hey Ryan (stands) you don't think Trey'll be there do you

Ryan: no he's on day shifts, it'll be fine, promise

(Ryan kisses Marissa's cheek, and she his. then they hold hands and walk out)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see a DJ playing some music, people dancing, flashing disco lights. then we see Trey drinking at the bar and looking worried. he looks over and sees Seth, Marissa, Ryan and Summer coming down the stairs

Seth: (frowns) do I still even work here, I should...find out for tax purposes

(Marissa stops at the bottom of the stairs and sees Trey)

Marissa: you've gotta be kidding me

(Ryan looks from Marissa to Trey. Trey looks away)

Trey: great (drinks)

(Trey goes over to them. Seth waves)

Trey: hey, man I'm so sorry about your grandfather (shakes Seth's hand)

Seth: yeah, thanks

Ryan: what're you doin here

Trey: came by to pick up a paycheck

Marissa: paychecks are handed out on Mondays

(Trey looks at Marissa, Marissa looks at Trey. Summer notices)

Seth: (frowns) even I know that an I think I got fired

Trey: oh yeah (Marissa glares at Trey) when was that (laughs)

(Ryan looks at Trey. Jess comes over)

Jess: you guys are dressed up

Seth: we jus came from uh my grandfather's funeral (Summer puts her hand on his chest)

Jess: yeah, well he's probably pretty old (looks at Trey) ready Trey (Marissa glares at Trey again) bye party people

(Trey and Jess walk off)

Seth: you guys wanna go maybe grab us some seats

Ryan: yeah we'll get drinks

Summer: ok (looks at Marissa) come on

(Summer and Marissa walk off. we see Jess and Trey walking up the stairs. Ryan looks worried. we see Jess and Trey again)

Trey: it's bad enough this has'ta go down in the place I work at (grabs Jess' arm) but with Ryan here (lets go)

Jess: (smiles) what afraid your gonna look bad in front'a Marissa Cooper

Trey: no I jus think we should go some place else, the pier, whatever

Jess: it's to late our friends are already on their way, now is it loaded (looks at Trey)

(Trey takes the g*n out and slides the thingo to show that there is a b*llet in there, then lets it go so that it covers the b*llet again. we then see Marissa and Summer walking)

Summer: ok Coop, you wanna tell me what that was about between you an Trey

Marissa: what're you talking about

Summer: oh I don't know, gamma rays of hate sh**ting outta your eyeballs, I mean problems with Ryan (she and Marissa sit on the couch) a weird tension with Trey, one girl two brothers it's all a little legend of the fall

Marissa: hm, I never saw that one (to someone walking passed) hi (smiles) (Summer looks at her)

(we are now with Seth and Ryan at the bar waiting for drinks)

Seth: (puts up a finger and goes to speak then stops) (to Ryan) I guess if I still work here I could...make the drinks myself

Ryan: so how are you man

Seth: not good my heads...all over the place, I still haven't had a chance to talk to my dad (Ryan looks at him) two uhus an a couple'a smoothy chasers please

(we then see a rough looking guy go up the stairs. Ryan notices, and we see the guy go over to Jess and then they walk off together. Ryan looks worried. we see Jess walking across the bridge from underneath {you know the wire bridge thing that takes you from one side of the Bait Shop to the other)

CUT TO: Cohen's backyard - Sandy and Jimmy are standing together, talking

Jimmy: and uh what about you I mean hows-hows work, how's the family

Sandy: well actually uh...(looks at Jimmy) not so good (Jimmy nods) you know you left, boy, jus before things got really crazy (nods)

Jimmy: yeah well, that was the idea (raises eyebrows) I guess

(Julie comes over)

Julie: Sandy, I need your help

(Sandy looks over and we see a tipsy Kirsten holding the bottle of vodka and walking around)

Sandy: excuse me

(Kirsten walks up the steps and almost trips, spilling the vodka and losing her balance. she composes herself and smiles)

Sandy: oh for god sake Kirsten at least use a glass

Kirsten: (closes her eyes, mocking) oh for god sake Sandy jus leave me alone

Sandy: its ben a long day...an I bet (raises eyebrows) you could probably use a little sleep

Kirsten: I feel (touches her chest) ok

Sandy: come on (holds Kirsten) lets jus go to bed

Kirsten: (pushes Sandy away) get your hands (screams) off me

(the vodka bottle smashes onto the concrete. everyone looks to see what the commotion is. Kirsten takes a breath in and Sandy just looks at her, helplessly)

Kirsten: are ya happy (looks at Sandy)

(Kirsten walks away, Julie and Jimmy walk over to her, they both look worried)

Julie: Kirsten

Kirsten: I'm ok (puts her hand up) Jimmy I'm ok

(Sandy watches as Jimmy and Julie help Kirsten walk down the stairs and towards the house. Hailey looks at them, and then at Sandy. Sandy just looks emotionless)

CUT TO: The Bait Shop - we see Jess doing coke. Trey is standing near by looking nervous

Jess: (sniffs) you got the money

(the rough looking guy from before puts a bag on the table with wads of cash sticking out if it)

Jess: have your taste then we're all good

(RG leans forward, Trey watches him with his arms folded. he snorts the coke and then looks up at Jess)

Jess: (puts a bag down on the table) speed an the E are in the bag, same quality

RG: (grabs the bag and stands) actually we don't have enough to cover the coke

(Jess stands up)

RG: how bout we set up a payment plan like we plan to pay you when we feel like it

Jess: yeah what's up, we had a deal

RG: (gets in Jess' face) we're renegotiating Garden Grove style (Jess looks at him) what're you gonna do about it you little Newport biotch (goes to walk away)

(Jess turns around and grabs the g*n from Trey)

Jess: (points the g*n) who's the bitch now huh

'

(the RG and his mates look at Jess)

Trey: (clenches his teeth) what the hell do you think your doin Jess

Jess: give me my money, get in your ice rocket an drive away

RG: your gonna have'ta sh**t me

(Jess shrugs and aims the g*n above RG's head. she fires the g*n twice and everybody starts screaming and running. we see Ryan and Marissa looking scared, because of the g*n sh*ts, then we see Jess running across the bridge, and Trey following her. then we see Seth and Summer looking around. then we see RG going after Jess and Trey. Trey pushes someone out of the way on the bridge, Ryan and Marissa see. then we see Trey and Jess running again, RG is still behind them but now he has a g*n of his own in his hand. Ryan sees)

Ryan: (screams) get down

(we see everyone get down on the floor, so we can now clearly see RG pointing his g*n, he sh**t. -we then see Seth and Summer crouched down, Seth has his hand over her head, protectively {aww}. Ryan has his hand over Marissa's back, protectively {aww} we then see RG run out of the Bait Shop. Summer looks up)

Ryan: everybody ok

Summer: (worried) Marissa

(Marissa sits up)

Summer: oh my gosh

(Marissa looks upset, and a little dazed. she pulls her hair back from her forehead and we see that there is alot of blood running down the side of her face)

Seth: it's jus broken glass

(Marissa pulls her hand away, stunned. Summer puts something on the bleeding, I think it's a tissue. Marissa is making groaning noises, and screws up her face in pain)

Summer: (screws up her face) wait

(Ryan looks at Marissa, then looks away then back at Marissa, he looks angry)

CUT TO: Cohen family room - Hailey is watching TV and Sandy sits on the couch next to her

Hailey: where is she

Sandy: sleepin it off

Hailey: how long has this ben going on

Sandy: (shakes his head) too long...you know last night sealed the deal...she's getting help whether she wants it or not (looks at Hailey)

Hailey: (looks at Sandy) speaking of help, how can I

Sandy: well I...I'm gonna need ta talk to the boys, privately, I-I I don't know what they know (shrugs)

Hailey: I can get her outta the house, maybe a day at the spa

Sandy: thanks Hale

Hailey: (half smile) yeah (gets up)

CUT TO: Treys apartment - Ryan knocks on the door and Trey answers

Trey: hey, had a feelin id see-

Ryan: can I uh (motions inside) can I come in

Trey: yeah

(Ryan goes in)

Trey: you want somethin to drink like water-

Ryan: what happened last night

Trey: (shuts the door, sighs) I was...helpin Jess out, it got a little outta control man

Ryan: (points) story of your life right

Trey: yeah, but that was it man...I told her, I'm done

Ryan: done, heard that before too (smiles)

Trey: dude I know that Jess turned out to be a little crazier then I expected-

Ryan: (hand on his hip) oh really that's a suprise considering you met her face down in a pool

Trey: I screwed up Ryan (moves closer) I know that, what'do you want me to say

Ryan: I don't want you to say anything...anymore, we-we gave it a sh*t we tried to make it work

Trey: I...swear to god Ryan

Ryan: (looks at Trey) I want you outta Newport

Trey: (frowns) c-come on man (looks at Ryan) we're brothers (Ryan looks at him) we're blood, granted I got a little more'a dads bad luck-

Ryan: (means it) you gotta go Trey

(Trey looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Trey)

Trey: ...(nods) ok...ill be gone first thing in the morning

(Ryan slowly walks to the door and opens it. Trey watches him. Ryan goes out the door, shutting it behind him. he doesn't look back)
CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - Julie is playing with what looks like a coffee machine, she looks like she has no idea what she's doing. Jimmy walks over with 3 coffees in a tray in one hand, and a box of something in the other hand

Jimmy: I figured you hadn't learned how to brew coffee yet

Julie: ok (smiles) marrying Caleb didn't exactly turn me into a domestic goddess

Jimmy: (hands Julie a coffee) and I brought your favourite powdered sugared doughnuts (holds out the box) from seven eleven

Julie: (frowns with a smile) thankyou

Jimmy: (laughs) so listen, I was hoping you me Marissa could take the boat out, sail to Catalina today

Julie: oh, well except Marissa won't be up till close to sun down so (shrugs) hm

Jimmy: well then uh (frowns) how bout you an I go (Julie looks at him) you an me...grab some lobsters, dead ones of course, hang out have lunch

Julie: (frowns) wow, we haven't done that in like a million years (points) since before we were married (Jimmy raises his eyebrows) (thinks) ok, ill write Marissa a note

(Jimmy drinks his coffee)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Seth is in there by himself looking very lost, and Sandy comes in

Sandy: hey

Seth: I was jus makin some cereal, do'you want some

Sandy: no I'm good, thanks, boy we got alotta left overs an the food is still arrivin by the truckload

Seth: yeah, it's a silver lining of any funeral (pours some cereal into his bowl) how's mum is she up yet

Sandy: yeah, she's spendin the day at a spa with Hailey, gettin a little R an R

Seth: well that's good, she could use a day to relax (nods) (frowns) she hasn't really ben to uh...mom esque...lately

Sandy: (looks at Seth) well that's true (nods) she's sufferin right now

Seth: well she's...really close ta grandpa so

Sandy: oh it's bigger then that Seth (looks at Seth) (Seth looks at him) ...your mother has a drinking problem (Seth nods, dazed) she needs help

Seth: oh...you mean like that...rehab brochure that I found an you jus forgot ta mention

Sandy: I've ben waitin for the right time an (frowns) I've ben hopin I could do this myself

Seth: maybe we can, so she's drinking, we ask her to stop (Sandy looks at him) we don't have'ta send her away

Sandy: (looks at Seth) she can't stop...she's tried (Seth looks at him) (moves closer) there's a doctor coming here this afternoon...he's gonna help us stage an intervention

Seth: (shocked) what wh- is this like an after school special (upset) her dad d*ed, she's sad, she's havin a few drinks

Sandy: this has ben goin on for a long time...the car accident she had

Seth: (pointed) yeah (looks at Sandy)

Sandy: did you know she had ben drinking

Seth: (upset) no, I didn't because ya never told me, you never told me anything until right now when ya expect me to help ship her off

Sandy: we're trying ta help her

Seth: god y'know- how do I know you didn't cause her to drink (frowns) somethin weirds ben goin on between you two all year

Sandy: I get that you're upset, I'm upset to

Seth: (nods) ok well if your way of showin that your upset is shippin her off so you don't have'ta deal with her that's fine, I'm jus not gonna be apart of it

Sandy: (stern) you are apart of it whether you wanna be or not (looks at Seth) you wanna run away again (Seth shrugs and shakes his head, defiantly) get in your boat an sail away? (teary) your mother needs you! (Seth looks away)

(we hear the front door close and Ryan heads towards the kitchen)

Sandy: come on in Ryan, you should hear this

Seth: (walking out) yeah, apparently moms a drunk an today's the intervention so, plan your afternoon accordingly

(Seth walks out of the kitchen upset, Sandy looks down)

Ryan: if you want I could talk to him (Sandy looks up) tell him your doin the right thing, cause you are

Sandy: thanks...but that's my job

(Sandy and Ryan look at each other)

CUT TO: Marissa's bedroom - Marissa looks at herself in the mirror. she pulls her hair back so she can see the cut on her head, then she pulls it back down to cover it. we hear a knock at the door

Marissa: (looks over) come in

(Summer walks in)

Summer: hey, how's your head

Marissa: um ok (frowns) it's just a scratch

Summer: well I was thinking, after the passed few days you've had some pancakes on the pier an some (closes her eyes) serious sunbathing could be jus what the doctor ordered (Marissa looks at her) that is if I had a PHD

Marissa: you know you don't have'ta take care of me

Summer: are you kidding, after that scene from scar face we jus lived through, I could use a short stack (raises eyebrows) stat

Marissa: alright well, I appreciate it (goes over to her drawers)

Summer: good, so we'll go...just as soon as you tell me what's going on

Marissa: huh

Summer: the weird bruise on your neck an the bad excuse from you, weird tension with Trey an then you don't even bother ta make up an excuse...Marissa please don't lie to me, I'm your best friend an I know something happened (frowns) please jus tell me what's going on

(Marissa shuts the drawer with her back still to Summer, and starts to get upset. she sniffs and Summer looks worried)

Summer: Coop...

(Marissa cries more, we see her shoulders and back are shaking and we hear her crying louder)

Summer: (gets up) Coop

(Marissa turns around to face Summer and she has tears running down her face)

Summer: ooh (softly) sweetie

(Summer hugs Marissa, and Marissa continues to cry. Summer puts her hand on Marissa's head. Marissa's holds Summer tightly)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Seth is sitting on his bed with his hands in his lap, looking very lost. Sandy slowly walks in. he stands in front of Seth for a second and then sits next to him on the bed

Sandy: (looks at Seth, then looks down) maybe I should'a told you earlier...I don't know (shakes his head) they left that chapter outta the manual

Seth: ...how long would she go away for

Sandy: well as long as it takes (Seth nods) months, maybe

Seth: (shakes his head slightly) this isn't (blinks)...this isn't suppose'ta happen to us we're not that family

Sandy: (looks at Seth) every family's got their issues...this is ours

Seth: ...I jus don't think I can do it, not to mom

Sandy: I get it

(we hear the doorbell)

(Seth looks down and closes his eyes)

Sandy: that's the doctor from the clinic...we'll be down stairs

Seth: (looks at Sandy, helplessly) I'm sorry

(Sandy looks at Seth then puts his arm around him. he kisses him on the head and then gives him a hug. Seth closes his eyes, his head is on Sandy's chest and Sandy has his hand around the back of Seth's neck. Sandy closes his eyes {this is a truly heart wrenching moment}

CUT TO: Hailey and Kirsten driving home. Kirsten is looking at the ocean and Hailey is driving

Hailey: how you feeling

Kirsten: better thanks, its just what I needed (smiles) that deep tissue massage worked miracles

Hailey: that's good (smiles)

Kirsten: (looks at Hailey) we should call the house an see if they want us to pick up any food

Hailey: (shrugs) we should probably jus go home, you know there's alotta left overs

(Kirsten smiles and looks away, Hailey smiles and then it goes. she looks worried. we then see the car driving on the road for a second)

CUT TO: Cohen house - we see Kirsten and Hailey come in the front door

Kirsten: (calls) hello, anyone home

(Sandy comes into the sh*t)

Sandy: hey

Kirsten: oh hey

Sandy: why don't you come inta the kitchen...I need to talk to you

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) your acting awfully mysterious

(Sandy looks at Kirsten and then goes back into the kitchen. Kirsten looks at Hailey and then follows him. Hailey follows a little behind Kirsten)

Kirsten: oh (smiles) well I didn't know we had a company

(the doctor from earlier is in there, and Ryan is standing a little back with his arms folded)

Dr: hi (smiles) I'm Dr. Kenneth Woodroff (shakes Kirsten's hand) I'm a counselor at the Suriak drug an alcohol abuse rehabilitation center

Kirsten: uh ok does someone (looks at Ryan) wanna tell me what's going on (looks at Hailey)

Dr: your family requested that I be here today (Sandy looks at Kirsten) ta help them lead an intervention

Kirsten: (confused) uh (raises eyebrows) what for, why

Dr: we are all here because we are worried that uh you have an addiction to alcohol

(Hailey, Ryan and then Sandy look at Kirsten while the Dr is talking)

Dr: each person here wants to share their concern for you

Kirsten: well that's very nice of everybody but not necessary (nods)

Dr: Sandy, you go first

(the Dr steps away from Kirsten and Sandy moves closer)

Sandy: I'm so sorry honey (Kirsten looks at him) how hard this must be for you to hear...I don't want you to hurt yourself anymore

Kirsten: Sandy don't you think you're over reacting...I mean everybody's over reacting (Sandy looks at her, helplessly)

Dr: Hailey, please, now you

Hailey: Keek's (Kirsten looks at her) you know our history, you know mom battled it an you know if it was me you'd be doing the same thing

Kirsten: (upset) I don't know that, all the time you were partying an doing dr*gs (Hailey looks at her) I just encouraged you to make better choices (pointed) I didn't lock you up

Dr: Ryan

(Ryan looks at the Dr and then Kirsten)

Kirsten: oh don't you say a word I let you inta this house

Ryan: (moves forward) ...yeah you did because my own mom couldn't take care'a me (Kirsten listens) because she wouldn't get help even though I asked her to...I don't wanna see that happen again to someone I love (looks at Kirsten)

(Kirsten stands there for a few seconds)

Kirsten: ...I don't know who you are or what your doing here (Hailey, Ryan the Dr and Sandy look at her) but I-AM-NOT-GOING

(Kirsten turns around to leave the kitchen and Seth is standing in the door way {this part here was what had me in tears, Seth being there when she turned around was just SO powerful, not to mention what Ryan had just said aww} Seth looks at Kirsten, Kirsten looks at Seth)

Seth: mom please, you gotta do this

(Kirsten looks at Seth, Seth looks at Kirsten, slightly nodding. Sandy walks over to them. Kirsten looks away from Seth and starts getting teary. she closes her eyes and screws up her face, then puts her head down. Sandy holds her in his arms and Seth puts his hand on her back and rubs it. Sandy touches Seth's arm. Ryan and Hailey come over and put their hands on Kirsten's back as well, and Ryan puts his hand on Sandy's shoulder {awww, this a beautiful, heartbreaking family moment!})

CUT TO: Cohen living room - Seth and Ryan are sitting on the couch together watching TV, they both look out of it. we see the channel change a few times on the TV and then we hear a door close. Seth and Ryan both look over. in the hall way we see Kirsten and Hailey hugging, and Sandy is near by with Kirsten's bag

Kirsten: aren't you glad you got ta come back for all this fun

Hailey: (smiles) actually, I am (Kirsten nods, teary)

(we then see Seth and Ryan walking towards them)

Sandy: ill put the bag in your car (Kirsten looks at Sandy and nods)

Hailey: ill see you soon sis (kisses Kirsten on the head and then goes up stairs)

(Kirsten nods, teary. she takes a breath in and turns towards Seth and Ryan, her boys)

Kirsten: (teary) I'm so sorry...that I...put you both through this

Ryan: jus get better

Kirsten: (nods, smiles) I will (looks at Seth) are you gonna be ok

Seth: yeah i'll be fine, an don't worry...about dad we'll set up a stage in the living room (nods) (Kirsten looks at him and smiles) give him a microphone an the music to star light express

Ryan: I got the take out menus covered

Seth: ill order em, I'm good with the phone

Ryan: we'll be fine, really

Kirsten: (tearier) I love you both so much

(Kirsten hugs Seth and Ryan at the same time {its similar to the hug when they come home, and Kirsten runs to them. just as sweet} Seth and Ryan put their heads on each of Kirsten's shoulders and close their eyes. we can hear Kirsten crying, and she's holding onto them both tightly {awww})

CUT TO: Out the front of the Cohen house - Sandy is out by the car. he walks from the boot to the drivers door and gets in the car. Seth and Ryan are standing in front of the front door watching. when Sandy gets in we see that Kirsten is already in the passenger seat. Sandy starts the car and Kirsten does a small wave to the boys. Ryan lifts his hand to wave back, as does Seth. we then see Sandy and Kirsten pulling out of the drive way, Kirsten looks lost. Seth and Ryan put their hands down. Ryan looks at Seth, Seth is watching the car. the car stops and Sandy and Kirsten look at the boys in the distance. Kirsten looks out the window as Sandy starts driving again. we then see the car disappear down the road. Ryan puts his head down then looks up again. Seth is frowning

Ryan: alright (touches Seth's arm) come on, you owe me a rematch (puts his hand on Seth's back)

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - Julie and Jimmy walk up the stairs together

Julie: well James, other then those disgusting mussels you made me eat (points) (Jimmy laughs) this was actually pretty fun (smiles)

Jimmy: well you're entitled to a little fun

Julie: oh its jus...I feel so guilty

Jimmy: about what, smiling the day after your husbands funeral (Julie nods) well lets-lets face it that marriage wasn't exactly-

Julie: (looks at Jimmy) what we had (Jimmy looks at her) nothing ever will be

Jimmy: (looks at Julie) what if (looks down) I decided to stay, what if (takes Julies hand) mm you know we gave it another sh*t, we're both older an wiser now

Julie: well I'm certainly wiser

(Jimmy laughs. Julie smiles. Jimmy looks down at their hands. they link fingers)

CUT TO: Treys apartment - Trey comes out of the hallway and lays his clothes on the table, ready to pack. Jess is sitting in the lounge room

Jess: going somewhere

(Trey turns around, startled. Jess looks at him)

Trey: I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin

Jess: we could take off together

Trey: (picks up his bag) yeah Jess, an where would we go

Jess: (pulls out some wads of cash and throws them on the coffee table) Vegas

(Trey looks at Jess and then the money)

Jess: you a gambler Trey

Trey: (nods) I hooked up with you

Jess: (picks up the cash and stands) I'm gonna go home an pack (moves closer) steal my step dads beamer, an ill be back at eight

(Jess kisses Trey, Trey kisses back but he puts his hands up in the air. Jess smiles and leaves. Trey doesn't look very happy)

CUT TO: The Cohen's pool - Ryan and Seth are floating in the pool together

Seth: this whole floating in the pool thing is not really helping

Ryan: yeah, I hear you (looks at Seth)

Seth: but neither was video games or the wisdom of Chuck Klosterman

Ryan: (thinks) you know what, we should get outta the house (sniffs) hit up a old age home, some shuffle board action

Seth: (shrugs) I'm not really in the mood for old people

Ryan: IMAX movie, somethin with sharks, huh

Seth: alright I like sharks

(we hear the doorbell)

Seth: (sighs) the way things've ben going I bet that's Oliver

(the next thing we see is Seth clothed, and answering the door. Summer is there)

Summer: hey, could I talk ta you...alone

(Summer walks in and Seth shuts the front door. Summer goes into I think, Sandy's bar area. Seth follows)

Seth: what's goin on, everything ok

Summer: no (looks at Seth) look I'm really sorry to pile on in terms of like the (softly, upset) worst news ever

Seth: (puts his hand on Summers shoulder) hey, its ok, whats'a matter

Summer: (looks at Seth) when you an Ryan were in Miami Trey an Marissa...

Seth: (nods) yeah

Summer: ...he att*cked her, Seth

Seth: (folds his arms) what'do you mean

Summer: (upset) he forced himself on her he tried ta (looks at Seth, Seth nods slightly) (shakes her head) but she didn't tell Ryan because, you know he's Ryan an who knows what he would do

Seth: well, he has'ta know

Summer: you think

Seth: yeah, look if last night wasn't prove enough Trey's crazy, what if he att*cks you next (Summer closes her eyes) I cant not tell him

Summer: (shrugs) but how are you gonna tell him

(Seth looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Suriak - Sandy and Kirsten pull up out the front. Dr Woodroff is there with another woman

Dr: welcome (smiles and opens Kirsten's door) ill show you to your room

(Kirsten gets out of the car)

Dr: but first I need to check your bag Kirsten uh its standard procedure

(Kirsten takes her bag off her shoulder and hands it to the Dr. the Dr then hands it to the lady. Sandy looks at Kirsten, Kirsten looks at Sandy - we then see Sandy and Kirsten together in Kirsten's room {this part made me realise what they are facing, for a married couple not to be sleeping in the same bed together, its heart breaking. and for her to be going through detox by herself, also heartbreaking!} ok Kirsten looks around the room, looking lost)

Sandy: oh its a good sized bed (raises eyebrows) (Kirsten looks at him) ooo nice sheets (feels the sheets) high thread count (points) nice TV...alotta channels (looks at Kirsten) ill bet you get alot of reading done here

Kirsten: (nods) yeah

(there's a knock at the door. a woman walks in)

W: excuse me, uh Mrs. Cohen (Kirsten looks over) we're having a meeting for new guests

Sandy: (to the woman) what time is the meeting over I (looks at Kirsten) I jus wanna make sure I'm home when you call

W: actually uh, she won't be able to make any phone calls for seventy two hours (Kirsten looks stunned) (to Sandy) its detox

Sandy: oh

(Kirsten and Sandy look at each other)

Sandy: could you give us just a minute

(the woman smiles and leaves. Kirsten looks at Sandy, she looks so scared and vulnerable. Sandy looks at Kirsten)

Kirsten: (teary) I'm so sorry Sandy...what I said to you (raises eyebrows) (Sandy looks at her) put you through

Sandy: you know we can bend this thing (Kirsten looks at him) doesn't mean it's gonna break (Kirsten nods)

(the next thing we see is Kirsten and Sandy coming out of Kirsten's room. Kirsten looks at Sandy and Sandy kisses Kirsten on the mouth. they touch hands before Sandy walks down the hall, he stops at the end and looks back at Kirsten. Kirsten blows him a kiss. Sandy smiles then leaves. Kirsten starts to get upset again)

CUT TO: The pool house - Ryan grabs his watch off the top and puts it on then sighs. we hear a faint knock. Ryan looks over

Ryan: hey

Ryan: we should probably go, IMAX movies have previews? (goes over to Seth)

Seth: uh maybe we should skip the movie, actually (Ryan looks at Seth) (frowns) d'you wanna, si'down maybe (Ryan looks at him) or stand up or whatever

Ryan: what's goin on

Seth: (sighs) uh...my-my dad jus called uh (Ryan looks up) said my mom jus landed at the place, it's really beautiful an

Ryan: that's good man (smiles)

Seth: yeah but also...somethin more (looks at Ryan) but before I tell you (points) you gotta promise your gonna stay calm, an your not gonna get all 'old school Ryan Atwood'

Ryan: (looks at Seth) what is it

Seth: well, it's upsetting

Ryan: (losing patience) yeah we covered that

Seth: (swallows) so (looks at Ryan) I know what happened with Trey an Marissa (Ryan looks at him) like what really happened

Ryan: (looks at Seth) ...what'do you mean

Seth: well I guess, when we were away he sorta like...att*cked her or something, kinda forced himself on her (Ryan looks stunned) I mean nothing happened she fought him off but that's...that's why he's got the cut on his head

(Ryan looks teary. Seth looks at him, worried. Ryan looks away and slowly sits down, stunned)

Ryan: all year...I have tried ta be a different person

(Ryan looks up at Seth. Seth looks at him. Ryan stands and looks at Seth)

Ryan: I can't do that anymore (starts to leave)

Seth: wait, Ryan, what're you gonna do

Ryan: (stops at the door, turns around) I'm gonna settle this with Trey (Seth looks at him) once an for all

CUT TO: Caleb's mansion - we see Jimmy light a candle and Marissa comes over. Jimmy and Julie are standing together, looking almost couple'y

Marissa: what're you guys doing

Julie: oh, well we thought we'd have dinner...as a family

Marissa: (confused) ok

Jimmy: and uh...breakfast

Marissa: ah-huh what's going on here

Julie: well, your fathers going ta stay with us while we get settled and...then maybe after that

(Marissa looks from Julie to Jimmy)

Jimmy: if that's ok with you

Julie: an with Caitlyn coming home from boarding school this summer we were talking about (looks at Jimmy) taking a family trip, maybe (smiles)

Jimmy: again (raises eyebrows) if that's ok with you

(Julie looks at Marissa)

Marissa: anything (shrugs) ta have you back dad (hugs Jimmy)

Jimmy: thanks kiddo

(Julie smiles. Marissa looks at Julie and then slowly leans forward and hugs her. Julie looks shocked at first, and then she closes her eyes. Marissa looks, I wouldn't say happy, but she's definitely trying. she closes her eyes for a second)

Marissa: id really love for us to be a family again

(Julie smiles, Marissa half smiles. Julie looks at Jimmy)

Jimmy: (smiles) the Coopers makin a comeback (Marissa laughs) who'd a thunkit

(Marissa's phone rings)

Marissa: oh sorry, one sec (answers) hey can I call you back

(we see Seth and Summer in the car together. Summer is driving and Seth is on the phone to Marissa)

Seth: actually no there's a problem

Marissa: (frowns) what's going on

Seth: well we're on our way to Treys but your closer, maybe you can stop him

Marissa: what're you talking about

Seth: Ryan knows

(Marissa realises straight away what that means and hangs up, she walks away - the next thing we see is Marissa's car speeding out of the drive way. then we see the range rover driving on the road. Ryan looks emotionless)

CUT TO: Treys apartment - Inside Trey is busy putting some rubbish in a rubbish bag - out the front Ryan pulls up.- inside Trey lifts a cushion on the couch and the g*n is underneath it. - outside Ryan slams the car door and goes up to the door, he bangs on it hard. - inside Trey looks over towards the door. there's more banging from Ryan. Trey puts the cushion back over the g*n and goes to answer the door. he opens it a little and sees Ryan standing there

Trey: (smiles) hey Ry

Ryan: (cold) I know what happened (Trey looks at Ryan) I know what happened with you an Marissa (Trey slightly nods) (walks towards Trey) how could you man, I would'a done anything for you

Trey: look man (raises eyebrows) it was messed up, I was stoned

Ryan: it wasn't my idea Trey, I didn't wanna steal that car

Trey: hey man I went away for it an uh you got the good life

Ryan: (angry) you had ta destroy it, you had to hurt her, huh

Trey: (pushes Ryan away from him) no no

(Trey runs to the couch and throws the cushion aside and grabs the g*n)

Trey: (points the g*n at Ryan. Ryan is stunned) ok listen man calm down, you've gotta calm down right now, ok

Ryan: (glares at Trey) what're you gonna do, sh**t me

(Trey still has the g*n pointed at Ryan, breathing heavily)

Ryan: is that how this ends

Trey: no, no how this ends is up ta you...an whether or not you walk away right now (Ryan doesn't move) (clenches his teeth) WALK away

(Trey looks at Ryan, Ryan looks at Trey. Trey looks at Ryan. Ryan looks down and puts his hands up. Trey looks at Ryan, still pointing the g*n at him. Ryan puts his hands down and slowly turns around. Trey lowers the g*n, relieved. Ryan turns around and charges into Trey, screaming ahhhhhh. his head hits Trey in the stomach. Trey hits the wall and then falls to the floor. Trey goes to get up and Ryan punches him, he punches him again, and again, and again. Ryan has a freaky look on his face. he grabs Trey around the throat and sort of sits him up. Trey puts his hand on Ryan's face, trying to push him away. Ryan has his hand over Treys