03x05 - The Perfect Storm

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x05 - The Perfect Storm

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - Cohen kitchen, morning - the first thing we see is a huge amount of food on the bench. there is a bowl full of eggs, some peeled some not. what appears to be muffins on a plate. some type of meat on another plate, and I think raspberries. the camera pans across and we see 2 plates with 2 muffin things on each, and on top of them is the meat and poached eggs. there is also some red jelly looking thing next to it. we can also see Kirsten's hand holding a spatula which she uses to put a red jelly thing on the plate that doesn't have one. she looks over towards the door just as Ryan comes in. he looks around and then sort of stares when he sees what Kirsten is doing. Seth comes in and does the same. Ryan opens the cupboard and sees that there is not much food in there

Ryan: where's all the cereal

Kirsten: oh I guess we're out

(Seth opens the fridge, looks and then shuts it)

Seth: (shakes head) there's no bagels either

Kirsten: I thought we'd try something new (smiles)

Seth: mom listen to me (looks at Kirsten, seriously) I understand that this whole cooking with Kirsten thing is helping you keep focused, but you cannot preempt a mans regularly scheduled breakfast (Ryan points at Seth in agreement, while eating) (Kirsten looks at him) it is a sacred routine

Kirsten: (sternly) sit

(Seth shuts up and heads over to the end of the bench. he and Ryan sit down)

Kirsten: you are having eggs benedict gruyere avec pate de foie

(Kirsten puts the plates down in front of Seth and Ryan. the eggs now have a yellowy looking sauce over them, and there is half a kiwi fruit on the plates. Seth looks down at his frowning. Ryan looks down at his plate then looks up out of the corner of his eye. we see Sandy come into the kitchen now)

Sandy: somethin smells...(looks) fancy

Kirsten: have a seat, there's plenty

Sandy: oh no thanks ill just grab a bagel an a shmear ta go

Seth: (still frowning) goodluck with that

(Kirsten puts a finishing touch on the boys plates and then looks at them proudly. we hear the phone ring in the background. Ryan leans down and smells the food on his plate. Seth is still frowning at his, lol)

Sandy: (answers phone) hello...oh Dr. Kim thanks so much for gettin back ta me (Kirsten looks over) (looks at Seth and Ryan who are staring back at him) ah-huh

(Sandy motions to Kirsten that he's going to take it in the other room, Kirsten nods and he leaves the kitchen)

Seth: Dr. Kim as in Principal Dr Kim

Kirsten: (nonchalantly) oh, she's probably confirming our reservation for the college fair tonight (smiles)

(Ryan looks as though he doesn't buy it, Seth taps his breakfast with a Kn*fe, still not willing to eat it. Ryan notices and laughs. Kirsten also notices)

Kirsten: you know your gonna be exposed to alotta new things in college next year

Seth: yeah horny co-eds an alcohol poisoning, I jus don't think (frowns, looks down) there gonna have French Fusion on the menu

(Kirsten looks away un-amused, Sandy comes back in. he's now off the phone. Kirsten and Seth look at him)

Ryan: they don't want me there tonight do they

Sandy: no, Harbors only hosting and it's a public even, Dr Kim says there is no reason why you cant attend (Ryan looks as though he's thinking) so what'do you say you boys meet us back here an we'll head over together

Seth: sounds good to me (stands up)

(Kirsten smiles and Ryan and Seth start to leave the kitchen)

Seth: hey man give me a ride ta school

Ryan: yeah, we'll hit the drive-thru on the way there

(Kirsten looks to make sure Seth and Ryan have left then looks at Sandy, worried)

Kirsten: what's going on

Sandy: Harbors dean of discipline is making it his personal crusade to ruin Ryan's future (Kirsten looks down) he's attached a note to his transcript detailing his pathologically violent behaviour

Kirsten: Ryan certainly needs ta work on his self control but he's not pathological, and considering everything he's ben through

Sandy: no ones gonna get a chance to consider it (Kirsten looks at him, upset) a letter like that is a red flag ta colleges, an unless it's rescinded (shakes head) no way a reputable school is gonna wanna touch a kid like Ryan

(Kirsten and Sandy both look worried/upset)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Summers bedroom - we can see a close up of Summer and Marissa's heads. Marissa is putting on eyeliner and Summer is right next to her with mascara

Summer: (frowns) what colour do I want...wai, come on (nudges Marissa)

(the camera angle changes so that we can now see they are both trying to use Summers mirror, only Summer is only just in the reflection)

Summer: jus go that (nudges Marissa) (sighs) ok (Marissa smiles) your like...twice my height, we can probably figure this out, why don't you (motions)

(Summer bobs down a touch and Marissa stretches up so Summers reflection is under Marissa's)

Summer: is..that..alright

Marissa: mm-hmm

Summer: (fixes hair) solved

Marissa: I'm sorry, you must be so sick'a me being in your way all the time

Summer: oh are you kidding, I date Cohen ok my patience is infinite, besides havin you all up in my space makes me miss you less at school

Marissa: well I miss you guys too (thinks, sits on the bed) you know, we should all do something tonight

Summer: (turns around) you know I told Cohen id go with him ta that um...what is it called that college circus thing, why don't you come with us

Marissa: ta Harbor (raises eyebrows) I think ill pass (nods)

Summer: what it's not like your pictures on the most wanted list

Marissa: have you checked the deans office

Summer: very funny

Marissa: ...look I'm not really thinking big picture right now anyway...I mean college isn't even on my radar

Summer: um (frowns) your a senior in high school how could college not be on your radar

Marissa: (thinks) mm lets see maybe because I'm homeless (raises eyebrows) going ta public school an (raises eyebrows) totally broke

(Summer looks at Marissa. we hear a phone ring in the background)

Marissa: (picks up phone) an yet things could be worse (looks at who's calling, answers almost cheerily) hi mom

(we now see a close up of Julie outside, on her cell phone. she's wearing a wide brim sun hat, sunglasses and she looks great. what we can see of the background also looks nice)

Julie: hi sweetie, jus checking on you how's everything going at Summers

Marissa: (looks at Summer) fine, but I'm kind of worried I might be starting ta wear out my welcome a little

(Summer motions to Marissa that she's wrong)

Julie: well then I have some good news, Kirsten's turned me onto a very promising lead on some beach side property (Marissa listens) so if you could just hang on a little bit longer

Marissa: (nods) sure, I guess

Julie ...great

Marissa: ...is everything ok, mom

Julie: oh I'm fine honey...ok I mean I've ben better but I have a plan and you have nothing to worry about, we'll have lunch at the club this week ok, ill call you

Marissa: ok, bye

(Marissa hangs up and she looks sad/worried. Summer goes over to her)

Summer: (sits on the bed) hey, don't stress out ok you can stay here as long as you want

Marissa: thanks (half smiles)

(Julie hangs up the phone and the sh*t widens to reveal where exactly Julie is. we see a police officer leading a young guy away, and the police officer almost falls on Julie as he walks passed)

Officer: scuse us ma'm

Julie: ooh (stunned) no problem

(Julie is on a sun lounge next to a small, plain looking pool. in the background we can see 2 levels of motel rooms. poor Julie looks so out of place)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see a close up of Taylor looking at her sidekick. she smiles and we see a close up of the screen it says,

To: Dartman 4 u, and Taylor finishes typing Lol U R SO NAWTY

Taylor smiles at the screen again. we can now see that she is in the student lounge and Summer is watching her from a distance. Summer frowns, we see Taylor again smiling at the screen. Summer looks frustrated

Seth: hey

(Summer pulls Seth down next to her on the couch)

Summer: look at her, all coy an texty (we see Taylor giggling with her hand over her mouth) (grossed out) I bet its the dean all like come over ta my creepy apartment, ill give you a lesson in discipline

(we see Taylor giggling harder now)

Summer: be afraid Cohen (Seth looks at her) be very, very afraid (Seth moves away slightly) if Taylor isn't stopped who knows how far she'll take her evil agenda

(we see another sh*t of Taylor looking at the screen of her sidekick)

Seth: well you know she hijacks social chair its not like world domination is inevitable

Summer: yeah, well school domination is, she's got dean Hess in her back pocket, front (mumbles) an who knows where else

Seth: well look I know US Weekly's your bible an believe me I love a good scandal as much as the next guy but (unconvinced) nothing is going on between the dean an Taylor Townsend

Summer: I saw what I saw ok

Seth: yeah in a dark hallway, in the middle of a rage black out, isn't it possible you saw what you wanted ta see

Summer: h- no, no one chooses ta witness something that repellent (screws up face)

(we see Taylor again. she opens her mouth in shock/suprise and brings her hand up. Summer and Seth are still watching her)

Summer: ugh, m id like ta give her a sidekick

(Taylor smiles and walks off, Summer and Seth try to act normal as she walks passed. once Taylor is gone Seth sighs and Summer leans forward and picks up her books)

Seth: where're you goin

Summer: recon

CUT TO: Newport Union - Ryan and Marissa are walking together holding lunch trays

Ryan: (unsure) you sure this is a good idea

Marissa: of course, I want you here

Ryan: does anyone else

Marissa: well there's only one way ta find out (smiles) hi guys (puts tray down)

Casey: hey

Ryan: (softly) hey

(we can now see that Ryan and Marissa are standing at Casey, Johnny & Dennis' table)

Dennis: is this Ryan

Ryan: (puts tray down) yep

Dennis: yeah, I see why you didn't break up with him (nods) chiseled jaw deep soulful eyes, he's pretty

(Ryan looks at Marissa)

Dennis: (points) yo man you ever get struck by lightening I will take care of your woman

Ryan: (smiles) yeah, I'm worried

Johnny: you should be (holds out hand) good to see you again

Ryan: (shakes) hey, yeah good to see you, sorry about the other day, kinda lost my cool

Johnny: hey man you see your girl...talkin ta some guy you don't know, it could happen ta anyone

Casey: so you guys wanna sit with us

Marissa: sure thanks

Casey: cool

(Casey moves down to make room for Marissa and Ryan on her side. Johnny and Dennis are sitting opposite them)

Johnny: (to Ryan) so you blowin off school today

Ryan: uh no actually I'm doin the home-school thing for awhile (sits)

Johnny: home-school I thought that was for like Christians an Hippies

Marissa: (almost proudly, looks at Ryan) and for people who punched the dean in the face at their private school

Dennis: you did that

Ryan: yeah

Johnny: yeah I wish I could home-school, can't wait ta get outta here, though Newport beats the hell outta Brea

Ryan: you're from Brea, where'd you got ta middle school

Johnny: Arovista

Ryan: Chino hills

(Johnny nods)

Casey: c'mon Marissa (stands) lets get some frozen yoghurt

Marissa: uh, ok, Ryan you want anything

Ryan: I'm good, thanks (smiles)

Marissa: ok

Casey: (calls) Dennis you like frozen yoghurt

Dennis: ok yeah I love frozen yoghurt

Casey: yeah c'mon you can hold our tray for us

Dennis: ok

Casey: (to Marissa) trust me the faster they become friends the better off you are (smiles)

(Marissa looks back and we see Johnny and Ryan talking)

Johnny: so we use'ta kick your ass in pee-wee football

Ryan: yeah I know, I use'ta play safety

Johnny: quarterback

Ryan: really

(Marissa and Casey smile at each other and walk off. Dennis is not far behind them)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see Taylor at her locker and then we see Summer walking in the same direction but down the end of the hall. Taylor shuts her locker and starts walking back towards Summer. Summer panics and quickly turns and goes up the stairs. we then see Taylor walk passed, as she does Summer leans around the corner and watches. she waits a few seconds then starts walking again. Taylor walks up to her

Taylor: ok, at first I thought it was cute, you following me obsessing over me, but the Single White Female thing is so mid nineties (shakes head) and it never ends well for the ugly one

Summer: (mouth open) uh could you be more full'a yourself, I have better things ta do than follow your sorry ass around

Taylor: ok I know it must be hard going from prom queen to...the invisible woman but (Summer looks at her) what're you trying ta prove, that your not just sad an pathetic but your also crazy

Summer: oh you want crazy, oh I will show you crazy

Taylor: ok (puts finger up) you might wanna rethink threatening me, if you haven't noticed I'm kinda close with dean Hess

Summer: oh no, I've noticed (nods) well you know dean Hess he isn't exactly discreet

Taylor: (confused) ok what'does that mean

Summer: never mind, I have ben trying ta erase this image (closes eyes) from my brain like all day, unfortunately I think its gonna take like serious therapy (shakes head)

Taylor: what image

Summer: nothing I...dean Hess could get in like alotta trouble (Taylor looks at her) (whispers) I think it's like sexual harassment or something

Taylor: (whispers) what is

Summer: ...kissing (Taylor looks worried) Miss Applebaum, yeah the volleyball coach...with the toned arms an the legs for miles, I saw them (raises eyebrows) behind the gym bleachers this morning

Taylor: (shocked but then laughs) ok your totally lying

Summer: I wish (closes eyes) the look on Miss Applebaum's face is like permanently b*rned inta my retinas (screws up her face) god, pure carnal satisfaction (Taylor looks at her) yeah

(we hear the bell ring)

Summer: ohp, sorry (laughs) I guess I gotta go (touches Taylor's arm) you have a super day (shrugs)

(Summer turns away and then turns back)

Summer: I was going this way

(Taylor watches Summer, she looks worried)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - we see a close up of a brochure that someone is holding, it says NEWPORT POINT CONDOMINIUMS

Kirsten: so, what'do you think

(we can now see that Julie is the one reading the brochure, and she's sitting at the table)

Julie: aren't condos for old people

Kirsten: (pours drinks) these units were conceived for young professionals, single divorced executive types

Julie: how much are we talking

Kirsten: well since I know the developer personally ten percent gets you in, the rest you can finance

Julie: (thinking) ten percent

Kirsten: Julie, it's a really good investment, an if you need help with the down payment

Julie: (mouth open) I'm not destitute Kirsten, I'm discerning

Kirsten: so should I make a call, set up a walk-through

Julie: (smiles) why not

(we hear the door bell)

Kirsten: uh, wonder who that is

(Julies smile goes as soon as Kirsten leaves the room. Julie holds out her hand in front of the brochure and looks at her wedding ring. she bites her finger and looks as though she's thinking)

(heard in the background)

Kirsten: hi

Charlotte: hi, I was on my way ta the club an I thought you might wanna join me for a bite

(Kirsten and Charlotte are coming into the kitchen)

Kirsten: ooh, its good of you ta stop by

Charlotte: oh I'm sorry I didn't realise you had company

(Julie stands)

Kirsten: n-n-n-n no, Charlotte this is Julie, Julie this is Charlotte

(Charlotte and Julie shake hands)

Julie: hi, nice to meet you (Charlotte smiles)

Kirsten: we met at Suriak

Julie: oh (to Charlotte) are you a doctor

Charlotte: patient

Julie: you know what, I have an appointment I have'ta be getting to so uh Kirsten call me when you hear from your real estate friend (quickly adds) on my cell, my hotel is...terrible about...messages (starts to leave)

Charlotte: nice to meet you

Julie: (looks back) nice to meet you too

Charlotte: (smiles) ok clearly I have got ta learn how ta call ahead, I'm sorry (frowns) I hope I didn't scare your friend away

Kirsten: well it'd take alot more than that ta scare Julie, she was married ta my dad (raises eyebrows)

Charlotte: oh well that would explain the size of the rock on her finger

Kirsten: well he didn't leave her much else

Charlotte: (picks up brochure) Newport Point condominiums

Kirsten: it's not the Taj Mahal but it'll be a good place for her an her daughter ta start over, can I get you some salad we-we have plenty left

Charlotte: oh yeah that'd be great I'm starving actually (smiles) thanks (to herself, Kirsten doesn't hear) so your dad left her with nothing, she must be feelin really vulnerable now

Kirsten: I'm glad you came by

CUT TO: Summers room - we see a pair of legs on a silky looking bed spread. the camera pans across to show that it is Marissa on the bed, and it looks like she's doing homework. Summer is standing near her bed

Summer: c'mon Coop, Ryan's going (raises eyebrows, folds arms)

Marissa: yeah, an I'm sure he'll have a great time with you an Seth

(Summer does a disappointed tsk at Marissa)

Marissa: looks it's not because it's Harbor, and it's not because its college I just have alotta homework

Summer: (doesn't buy it) yeah, yeah sure homework

Marissa: what you want me ta focus on my future, well guess what tomorrow I have a trig exam (holds up homework) that I'm totally gonna fail

Summer: (gives up) ok (nods) sure, ill jus tell everyone you said hi

Marissa: (suprised) ok (raises eyebrows)

Summer: ok, enjoy (leaves)

Marissa: ill be fine

Summer: (calls) later

(Marissa sighs almost sadly)

CUT TO: Harbor school college fair - we see a big board set up in the hall that says STATE COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES. the camera then pans to show Kirsten, Sandy, Seth, Ryan and Summer in the hall. Seth and Summer are holding hands, aww

Sandy: Ivy League, big ten, fat? ten

Summer: you know college fairs are kinda like shopping its all about brand recognition

Seth: you know Princeton was originally called the college of New Jersey

Summer: hm

Seth: how hard d'you think it'd be ta get in that school

Kirsten: well why don't you ask them

Seth: why not indeed

(Sandy and Ryan smile. Ryan looks around a little nervously)

Sandy: you ok

Ryan: yeah (sighs) yeah fine, just a little weird being back here...I feel like a fugitive

(Kirsten closes her eyes)

Sandy: you have as much right ta be here as anyone (Ryan looks at him) so where d'you wanna start

Ryan: I really don't know

Sandy: (raises eyebrows) I hear Berkeley's an excellent choice (Ryan smiles) very pretty girls too

Kirsten: (smiles) ah an there's the UC sign

Sandy: (to Ryan) sounds good

Ryan: (smiles) sure

(we now see Summer and Seth in the student lounge, they are near the Harvard booth)

Summer: so wait all these schools are in the North East

Seth: yeah so

Summer: so, just a little something I like ta call winter, god your boney ass cant even take it when Newport drops ta seventy (Seth scoffs) (grabs Seth) oh my god wait

(we see what Summer saw which is Taylor and Jack through the window, they are facing each other)

Seth: what

Summer: oooo busted

(Seth looks over and sees Taylor and Jack talking to each other, it looks like a heated argument. Seth sighs)

Summer: now do you believe me, that is totally a couple fight

Seth: yeah, or dean Hess just told Taylor her chances are better at Cornell than Dartmouth

Summer: (looks at Seth) you still don't believe me

Seth: no, I'm jus saying look uh an on campus argument in front of the students (Taylor storms off, Jack looks frustrated) an the faculty an parents is not really proof of a relationship

Summer: ok (raises eyebrows) I'm gonna go get ya proof (walks away)

Seth: (confused) what

(Summer walks over to where Jack & Taylor were, Jack walks inside just before Summer goes out - we now see Ryan, Sandy and Kirsten at a booth, I assume its Berkley. Ryan and Sandy are both reading material)

Guy: what're you interested in studying

Ryan: uh (looks up) iiiiii'm not totally sure

Sandy: Ryan's strong in Math an Physics (Ryan looks at him, smiles)

Kirsten: an he's shown a real aptitude for building an drafting (smiles)

Guy: well maybe architecture, we've got a great program

Ryan: maybe

(we see Jack talking to somebody in the background, he looks over and sees the back of Ryan's head. he is not impressed. Sandy glances up and sees that Jack is glaring at Ryan and starting to head over)

Sandy: ill be right back

(Ryan and Kirsten look up and they both see Jack)

Jack: what is Atwood doing here, he's not ta set foot on this campus

Sandy: I cleared it with Principal Kim, you can keep him from enrolling here but you can't keep him from attending a public event

Jack: I'm calling security

Sandy: unless you have a court ordered injunction against my son (Jack smiles smugly) I recommend you keep your hands off him

Jack: fine, he can stay (Sandy looks at him) but it's a waste of time none'a these schools will even admit him

Sandy: cause'a the letter you attached ta his file

Jack: maybe he'll think twice about assaulting his next victim

Sandy: he made a mistake an he should pay for it, but should the price really be his future

(Jack looks at Sandy. in the background we see Ryan walk over)

Sandy: you're k*lling his one sh*t

Jack: (looks at Ryan then Sandy) no, he did that all by himself

(Jack walks away. Sandy turns around and sees Ryan standing there, Ryan looks back at Sandy for a few seconds then leaves the room. Kirsten goes over to Sandy and they both watch helplessly and then look at each other)

CUT TO: The Pool House, next morning - we see Seth come in the open doors with a coffee in his hand

Seth: (sighs) mornin buddy, got up early put on a pot'a regular

(the pool house appears empty)

Seth: Ryan...Ryan (looks around)

(Seth looks at Ryan's bed, it hasn't been made. he shakes his head, worried)

Seth: oh no, oh man

(we hear the sound of a door and Seth looks up just as Ryan comes out of the bathroom, he has a towel on his shoulder)

Seth: (suprised) Ryan, your here

Ryan: where else would I be (touches Seth's arm)

Seth: well after last night I thought ya (frowns) might'a gone greyhound but clearly my concern was unfounded because you're...fine

Ryan: (putting on shoes) sure I mean no one in my family even got through high school...two years ago the thought'a college never even crossed my mind...it was never where I was headed

Seth: yeah, ok (confused) well where are you headed right now, a little uh field trip with your tutor

Ryan: uh I cancelled the tutor, if anyone asks I'm at the library

Seth: good (points) I think that's a good idea, you take a day clear your head...with a little independent study

Ryan: (matter of factly) my head is clear, tutors not coming back (walks passed Seth) I'm done with school

Seth: your dropping out (looks at Seth) an then what

Ryan: I don't know yet (grins and heads towards the house)

Seth: ok well that's a smart move, have you told my parents, have you told Mariss- that's fine, high schools, its overrated I'm sure you'll do fine (shakes head, stunned)

CUT TO: Newport Union - Marissa is at her locker on her cell phone

Marissa: Ryan you can't jus drop outta school, its only gonna make things worse

(we hear the bell ring)

Marissa: I gotta get ta class ok, please lets jus talk after, bye

(during the phone call Johnny had come over)

Johnny: everything ok

Marissa: yeah, great, my boyfriends quitting school

Johnny: why

Marissa: because he doesn't think he can get inta college so he's just giving up (shuts locker)

Johnny: seems like a smart kid I'm sure he'll be alright

Marissa: (looks at Johnny) this time I'm not so sure...his family is kinda screwed up

Johnny: whose isn't

Marissa: ok true (laughs) but Ryan's is really screwed up, an he's got a chance ta be difference than them if he'd jus take it

Johnny: have you told him that

Marissa: (walking up the stairs) oh I don't think he'll listen ta me, infact I don't know who he'll listen to

(we see Johnny looking up at Marissa from the bottom of the stairs, he looks as though he's thinking)

CUT TO: Newport Point Condominiums - we see Julie on the balcony of a big spacious empty condo. it has a beautiful ocean view. a woman comes in and walks over to Julie

Woman: Miss Morgan

Julie: (looks over) no (walks inside) Julie Cooper-Nichol (smiles)

Woman: oh right uh Kirsten Cohen's referral

Julie: door was open so I thought id take a little peek around, gave me a chance ta really visualise myself in the place (looks at her) ill take it

Woman: (suprised) beg your pardon

Julie: I brought the down payment with me, I'm assuming cash is ok

(Julie opens her purse to reveal bundles of notes, we can also see that the wedding ring from earlier is no longer on her finger)

Woman: oh um Miss Cooper

Julie: (corrects) Cooper-Nichol

Woman: I think we may have a little misunderstanding you see when we spoke this morning I was under the impression that this unit wasn't um...right for you

Julie: I beg your pardon

Woman: this is a four bedroom, the one that we talked about is a two bedroom...in the garden

Julie: (shocked) garden...realtor speak for basement right

(Charlotte comes in the door)

Charlotte: hello

Woman: ah, you must be Miss Morgan

Charlotte: yes, hi (Julie looks at her) Julie right, hi w-what're you doin here

Julie: I might ask the same thing

Charlotte: well I'm planning on doing some business in the area (shrugs) an I heard this condo might be a perfect little crash pad but looks like you b*at me to it

Julie: actually your timing is perfect (to Woman) I'm sorry I think I'm looking for something with a better view, Charlotte the place is all yours

(Julie leaves and Charlotte looks at the Woman)

Woman: well, follow me Miss Morgan, we'll start with the master (Charlotte nods)

CUT TO: Harbor school - we see a close up of someone writing in a notebook. the camera pans up to show that it's Summer, she rips out what she just wrote and screws it up. we then see Seth come into the student lounge and look around, after a few seconds he spots Summer sitting by herself and goes over to her

Seth: hey (sits) where you ben I've ben looking for you all day

Summer: well I've ben avoiding you

Seth: jus because I don't buy into your whole Taylor an the dean forbidden love delusion (Summer raises her eyebrows) yeah, can we table that for a sec we have a bigger problem ta worry about

Summer: Ryan quitting school (looks at Seth) (Seth nods) I know Marissa told me

Seth: well I think we should do somethin before it's too late

Summer: why do you think I'm writing this letter

Seth: are you starting a petition, that's a pretty good idea

Summer: no it's not a petition dumb ass I'm begging for Taylor's forgiveness

Seth: hm you had me an then you...I think you lost me (smiles)

Summer: ok, if Taylor thinks that dean Hess is sorry maybe they'll get back together an then we can expose them an use that as a leverage (raises eyebrows) ta get Ryan back in school

Seth: (takes it all in) huh

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Kirsten is on the phone

Kirsten: no-no-no I-I I understand...uh can I-can I call you right back, thanks

(Sandy is now in the kitchen. Kirsten hangs up and looks worried, she has one hand on her hip)

Sandy: what's goin on

Kirsten: that was Ryan's tutor...calling for her final paycheck...

Sandy: (confused) what

Kirsten: Ryan told her that he would no longer be needing her services (closes eyes) since he wont be finishing high school (looks at Sandy)

Sandy: where's Ryan now

Kirsten: well Seth said he was at the library

Sandy: well one kid droppin outta school the other kid lying, an I thought today was gonna be boring

(Kirsten smiles at Sandy, but she still looks worried)
CUT TO: The diner - Ryan is sitting in a booth by himself. he has a newspaper and a red pen in his hand. we see Johnny walk in and go over to him

Johnny: hey man

Ryan: (looks up) hey Johnny

Johnny: Marissa said they had the best burgers in town, figured I should check it out for myself

Ryan: they are, come on in

(Johnny sits down and there is an awkward silence for a few seconds)

Ryan: ...so she told you what's goin on

Johnny: ...might'a mentioned it

Ryan: well no offense but you barely know me

Johnny: (looks at the menu) which is why I'm not here ta talk you inta anything, I mean I'm not goin ta college, figured id do alright in a few surf competitions next year, maybe hook up with some sponsors (looks at Ryan) turn that into a career you know, its a simple plan but

Ryan: better than what I got (raises eyebrows) thought id get a job, figure things out after I make a little money

Johnny: (nods) what kinda job're you lookin for

Ryan: did construction last summer, hours were long but I liked the work

Johnny: (thinks) my uncle has this commercial fishing operation, he's always lookin for new guys, you know its kinda brutal but you can't b*at the pay

Ryan: think he'd give me a sh*t

Johnny: if you want ill take you down there

(Ryan looks at Johnny)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen, night - we see Seth, Sandy and Kirsten sitting at the table. Ryan is nowhere to be seen. Sandy looks at his watch then taps on the table

Seth: he could be off joining a foreign legion, joining a cult...Ryan could be...(shakes head) I don't know he could be takin place in a mass marriage right now drinkin cool aide from brand new sneakers...so many sick things

Kirsten: I'm gonna try his cell again (gets up)

(Sandy looks worried. Ryan comes in)

Ryan: hi

Kirsten: (stops, relieved) Ryan

(Sandy and Seth look over)

Seth: dude, where were you, we were about ta sound an amber alert

Ryan: I'm sorry

(Kirsten fixes Ryan a plate of dinner)

Sandy: look I know you've had a rough twenty four hours an I am a firm believer that every man deserves his space, you can't go off like that

Ryan: it won't happen again (smiles)

Sandy: listen lucky for you I was able ta do a little damage control with your tutor, she's agreed ta come this weekend ta make up for what you missed today

Ryan: oh uh well I appreciate that but (holds out a piece of paper and a pen) um

Sandy: what's this (takes it)

Ryan: uh it's a guardian release form (sits) I got a job

Sandy: oh

Ryan: on a boat

(Sandy and Kirsten look stunned)

Seth: you mean like a...a cruise ship cause you don't really seem like the type (Ryan smiles)

Sandy: this is a joke right...these boats go out for weeks at a time (Ryan nods) ...your not of age

Ryan: well that's why I need your signature

Sandy: so you wanna throw away your future so you can go work on a fishing boat

Ryan: c'mon my futures already trashed, tried it your way it didn't work

Sandy: (stern) you have'ta keep trying

Ryan: (loud) no I don't

(Seth looks at Ryan, Kirsten looks at Sandy. both Ryan and Sandy are looking at each other)

Ryan: I have ben trying...an I appreciate everything you've done for me I really do but I...need (looks at Sandy) ta make my own decisions...an I am asking you...ta let me go

(Sandy looks at Ryan. Ryan looks at Sandy. Seth looks at Ryan and then Sandy. Kirsten looks from Ryan to Sandy. Sandy looks away from Ryan and at the bit of paper, after a few seconds he puts it on the table and goes to sign)

Kirsten: Sandy

Seth: dad

(Sandy signs the paper. Kirsten Seth and Ryan are all watching him. Sandy hands the paper back to Ryan. Ryan takes it and nods, satisfied. Ryan starts eating and Kirsten and Seth are just sitting there shocked)

CUT TO: Fishing boat, the next morning - we see a whole heap of guys who I assume work for Johnny's uncle. there is some crew talk here but I can only understand about half so ill leave it, it's just like do this, do that it's coming out of your paychecks. Ryan walks over

Ryan: Mr. Harper

Uncle: yeah

Ryan: uh Ryan Atwood from yesterday

Uncle: (looks up) oh yeah Johnny's friend right

Ryan: yeah

Uncle: (holds out a clipboard) hold this (continues working) uh look kid we don't need part-timers right now, check back next summer (calls) give me a needle somebody

Ryan: (pulls out paper) yeah about that I got the uh I got the signature I can-I can do full time

Uncle: (takes the paper) you know this isn't puttin bait on hooks, its hard work, you mess up out there you don't get fired you get hurt

Ryan: (nods) I worked construction I can handle it, I-id really appreciate the chance

Uncle: yeah (laughs) that's because you don't know better (looks at Ryan) alright, yeah we got a spot open on the Gail, preppin her right now

Ryan: oh great how-how longs she gonna be out

Uncle: depends on the action, I guess about three weeks (Ryan listens) she shoves off tomorrow at sunset, you got a problem with that

Ryan: no sir (shakes head) just uh got some loose ends ta tie up

Uncle: yeah, don't we all, alright don't be late (walks off)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom - Kirsten is over near the window looking out at the ocean. Sandy comes in

Sandy: hey

Kirsten: (turns around) oh hey (smiles) how was surfing

Sandy: pretty calm, had time ta do some soul searching

(Kirsten and Sandy kiss. aww)

Kirsten: you gonna talk to him

Sandy: I'm stickin with our plan

Kirsten: your plan, Sandy, he's leaving on a boat tomorrow this is the wrong time ta be stubborn

Sandy: honey (looks at Kirsten) I'm stubborn all the time (Kirsten looks at him) we can't force Ryan ta make the right choice

(Sandy leaves the room. Kirsten follows him)

Kirsten: uh, yeah but we can stop him from making a horrible mistake, from permanently knocking his life off course

Sandy: yeah, it's a course we set for him

Kirsten: (thinks) would you let Seth do this

Sandy: oh (laughs) we kinda did

Kirsten: no, no that was different it was summer he didn't miss school an it was Seth, we knew he'd come back

Sandy: (thinks) you know in Ryan's position at his age I can't say I wouldn't be doin the same thing (shrugs) I left home at seventeen

Kirsten: yeah ta start your life not throw it away

Sandy: Ryan doesn't want this, he'll come around but (shakes head) we gotta let him get there on his own

Kirsten: (worried) an what if he doesn't

(Sandy and Kirsten are now in the kitchen. Sandy stops when he sees Marissa come in from outside, she appears to be looking for Ryan)

Marissa: hey

Kirsten: oh hi sweetie

Marissa: (frowns) have you guys seen Ryan, he hasn't ben returning my calls

Kirsten: oh, he should be home soon

Marissa: this thing with the dean has really gotten to him

Sandy: I think the best thing we can do is support him (shrugs) no matter what

Kirsten: so you wanna what, throw him a going away dinner

(Marissa looks at Sandy and Kirsten confused, she has no idea about the boat yet)

Sandy: mm that's not a bad idea

Marissa: wait, where is he going

(Kirsten and Sandy realise Marissa doesn't know that he is about to leave on a commercial fishing boat for three weeks. Marissa looks at them, lost)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer is sitting at her computer reading out something on the screen

Summer: you are like a warm breeze blowing down Vanice? Boulevard, from Encino to Rositto? there is nothing as beautiful as you, your eyes are as blue as a smogless day aft-

(during Summers poem Seth has come into her room)

Seth: (frowns) what the hell is that

Summer: (looks up) oh, well I lifted it from the season finale of The Valley, you know when Manwell was busting a move on April when she found out that Jake was sleeping with her mom

Seth: right, that was riveting stuff

Summer: yeah, will you proof it for me (stands)

Seth: listen we have'ta act fast, Ryan's about a yellow slicker an a grey beard away from becoming the Gorton's fisherman (sits)

Summer: huh (shakes head) yeah not getting the reference

Seth: he got a job on a fishing boat, leaves tomorrow night

Summer: wait what, what are you serious (Seth nods) your dad's jus like letting him go

Seth: pullin the old Sandy Cohen Jedi mind meld on him, tryin'a break his will by agreeing with him

Summer: oh like he did with you, which you fell for because you are both spineless an weak

Seth: yes exactly (points) but this is Ryan we're talkin about so if Taylor's gonna fall for your plan we need ta speak in a language she'll understand

Summer: oh (raises eyebrows) are you tryin ta say that you believe me (raises eyebrows)

Seth: uh no not exactly there's jus no other options, d'you have her cell phone number

Summer: what, we're not gonna call her she's not a moron she's just evil

Seth: we're not gonna call her my little dim sum (holds up a box) we're going to text her

Summer: what is that

Seth: (pulls out Sidekick) or should I say dean Hess is (hands it to Summer)

Summer: (excited) you got the bedazzled one, pink too

Seth: yeah

Summer: (opens the screen) but we can't text her an apology, wait we're texting her an apology (confused)

Seth: mm-mm an invitation, I got a room at the Mermaid motel (raises eyebrows)

Summer: you mean the place where Ryan may (raises eyebrows) or may not have conceived Theresa's baby an where Marissa's mom (raises eyebrows) an Luke got it on

Seth: Newport's very own den of sin (smiles)

Summer: eww (nods) but I like it

Seth: we can even...I mean if we have some free time (Summer looks at him) whatever

CUT TO: The Pool House - Marissa is sitting cross legged on the foot stool near the open doors, she looks very dazed and out of it. Ryan comes in, he sees Marissa

Marissa: (a little pointed) hope you don't mind, I'm early for your going away party

Ryan: (lost) my what

Marissa: oh well Sandy an Kirsten wanna have a send off party for you (Ryan looks at her) since apparently your leaving

Ryan: ...I was gonna tell you

Marissa: it slipped your mind

Ryan: no (moves closer) I was waiting for the right time...since I thought (sits on the bed) you might not understand

Marissa: understand what, that you're becoming a fisherman

Ryan: it's not about the job (Marissa looks at him) I need ta make a change

Marissa: a change

Ryan: n-not from us

Marissa: right (stands, upset) cause you taking off for weeks at a time wont change us at all (starts to leave)

Ryan: its not forever (Marissa looks at him)...its jus- it's just until

Marissa: until when, the dean lets you back (raises eyebrows) inta Harbor cause that may never happen

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) I need you to understand

Marissa: (turns away) consider it understood

(Marissa leaves. Ryan just sits there)

CUT TO: out the front of Julie's motel - Charlotte is in a car with the guy from before, Glen. he's driving

Glen: you sure about this Julie Cooper

Charlotte: definitely, she's got all the right connections an nothing left ta lose

Glen: I hope so, you better be right

Charlotte: I know what I'm doin babe

(Charlotte kisses Glen - we are now inside Julies room. she is looking at her practically empty fridge. she takes the last beer out and the empty carton falls out with it. she kicks it then tries to get the bottle cap off with her hands. she cant do it so she rests it against the edge of the fridge and bangs it hard with her other hand)

Julie: oww, damn it (sucks finger)

(we hear a knock at the door. Julie opens the door and Charlotte his standing there)

Charlotte: hi (smiles)

Julie: (shocked) what the hell are you doing here

Charlotte: I hope you don't mind me tracking you down, I got your address from the realtor

Julie: are you stalking me

Charlotte: (laughs) no but I can see why you would think that, can I come in

Julie: uh you really don't want to, and no

Charlot