03x08 - The Game Plan

All episode transcripts for the TV show "The O.C.". Aired August 2003 - April 2007.*
Watch/Buy Amazon

A troubled youth becomes embroiled in the lives of a close-knit group of people in the wealthy, upper-class neighborhood of Newport Beach, Orange County, California.

03x08 - The Game Plan

Post by bunniefuu »

Opening scene - The Diner - Seth and Ryan are sitting in a booth together opposite each other. on the table they have college brochures forms etc. Seth has a finger against his eyebrow, seemingly deep in thought

Seth: ok, picture me in college (frowns) uhhh big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond

Ryan: I don't know I never really pictured you (squints) living in a (softly) pond

Seth: (holds hands out, shakes head) me neither, you know finding the right college ought'a be more soulful than this

Ryan: well you gotta fill it out there (raises eyebrows) due today

(Summer and Marissa come in and walk over to their guys)

Summers: what's due today

(Seth scoots over so Summer can sit. Ryan does the same for Marissa)

Ryan: hey, good timing

Marissa: hey (smiles) (picks up paper, reads) picking the perfect college

Summer: oh crap I totally spaced out, does anyone have an extra one

Ryan: (hands one to Summer) there you go (points) remember, meeting with the college councilor today

(Marissa looks at Ryan and then Summer. she looks a little left out)

Summer: that's gonna be so stressful, I can't even pick out my shoes in the morning led alone plan the rest'a my life

(Marissa looks down, almost sadly)

Seth: oh It's ok it's only four years an (frowns) according to this brochure its supposed'ta be the high point of an otherwise miserable existence (looks at Summer, strokes her hair and smiles)

Summer: well these kids look pretty happy, look Coop two girls looking at a microscope (holds up brochure) an smiling that could be us

Marissa: mm yeah (shakes head) I don't think so

Summer: (frowns) Coop are you ok

Seth: course she's ok she gets to leave Newport (Marissa looks at him) we all do, think about this pretty soon we're gonna be livin in real cities with like (Marissa looks down) real non botoxed non plastic people

Summer: (looks at Seth) Cohen shut up (looks at Marissa, worried)

Seth: an weather, how bout like a little weather for a change (Ryan touches Marissa, Marissa looks at him and forces a smile) you know what I mean I'm not talkin about its cloudy with a chance'a drizzle weather (almost excited) I'm talkin about snow storm seal your windows with duct tape weather that's what I want

Marissa: you know- guys it's getting late I think I'm jus gonna go (sits forward)

Ryan: you alright (looks at Marissa)

Seth: did I mention that i would get ta wear wool, like I would actually get to wear like a real wool sweater

same time:

Summer: (closes eyes) shut up!

Ryan: shut up!

Seth: sorry (looks down)

Summer: Coop what's wrong

Marissa: nothing I mean this whole college thing its great (raises eyebrows) for you guys...I'm jus not gonna get to be apart of it (Ryan looks from Marissa to Summer/Seth)

Summer: what're you talking about

Marissa: look I've done the research, with my background (raises eyebrows) my history, I don't have a chance at getting in

(Summer frowns then looks at Ryan)

Marissa: (stands, nonchalantly) I'm jus...not going to college, that's all (leaves)

(Summer watches Marissa leave, worried)

Seth: (frowns) an there's a different approach

(we see a close up of Ryan's stunned face {Ok I just have to say where the hell did "I love cold weather Seth Cohen come from? he is the one who wouldn't go out to the Pool House in a storm, lol)

Theme song - California by Phantom Planet

Cohen kitchen - Sandy is standing near the dining table getting ready for work and Kirsten walks in

Kirsten: so, what's on the agenda today

Sandy: oh it's packed, you don't wanna know

Kirsten: sure I do (looks at Sandy almost eagerly)

Sandy: ok, conference call with the zoning board lunch with a couple of investors, gotta over see Ramsey's presentation for tomorrows meeting (looks at Kirsten) want me to go on

Kirsten: I do (smiles) believe it or not it sounds exciting (laughs)

Sandy: what, more so than perfecting the art of soufflé, speaking of, that one you made last night it was top notch

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) Sandy, I'm going crazy

Sandy: (looks at Kirsten) what

Kirsten: it's the sifting the kneading the measuring, I can't take it anymore I need to get outta the kitchen (raises eyebrows, grins creepily)

Sandy: honey

Kirsten: it's-it's not the cooking I hate, it's the quiet (raises eyebrows)

Sandy: oh we're gonna have'ta get use to a quiet house

Kirsten: I know, the boys started filling out their college forms today (smiles proudly)

Sandy: well look on the upside, Seth'll be right up the road at Berkeley (smiles, moves closer to Kirsten)

Kirsten: ooooh I wouldn't be so sure, remember before Ryan came Seth was dead set on going to a boarding school on the east coast, he wants outta California

Sandy: (looks at Kirsten) that was years ago (shrugs) he was a kid

Kirsten: Sandy (Sandy looks at her) Seth has never said that he wants to go to Berkeley (raises eyebrows)

Sandy: (quickly) but he never said he didn't (kisses Kirsten) try not to go too stir crazy (leaves)

Kirsten: ill try

(Sandy leaves and Kirsten smiles, then the smile goes and we see her standing in the empty quiet kitchen, she sighs)

CUT TO: Newport Union - Marissa is at her locker. Johnny and Dennis walk over to her

Dennis: (calls) Marissa! (Marissa looks) (points) brace yourself, you my friend are in the presence...of a celebrity

Marissa: I am

Dennis: Harper here is moments (touches Johnny's shoulder) away from being a surfing legend

Johnny: I don't know man I still have'ta make it through this weekend (shrugs)

Dennis: an assuming that you shred it out there (points) your gonna be picked for PacWest two thousand six team

Marissa: oh well that's great (puts book in bag) congratulations

Dennis: Cooper (Marissa looks) a little enthusiasm buddy this is (points to himself) a banner day for Dennis Childers

Johnny: it's a banner day for you...

Dennis: yeah, you might get to be the star but I get to be the entourage (Johnny shakes his head) which is a way better deal anyways we're talkin free shwag uh VIP parties crashin your world tour

Johnny: I had no idea

Dennis: (shrugs) someone's gotta carry your surfboard (Johnny hits him on the back)

Marissa: well ill be there to watch you in your moment of glory (shuts locker)

Johnny: are you alright, seem a little uhh

Marissa: I'm fine, promise...look ill see you guys later (walks away)

Johnny: something's wrong with her

(we see Marissa walking up the stairs a little in front of them)

Dennis: poor kids probably star struck (hits Johnny's shoulder) get use to it

(Dennis walks away. Johnny looks at Dennis and then watches Marissa disappear up the stairs, he looks worried)

CUT TO: Harbor school - this scene is in the college councilor's office. it changes between Seth, Summer and Ryan sitting in front of her desk, so whoever is talking is who is actually on screen at that point. Seth sits down in the chair

Mrs. R: so we'll deal with grades an boards later but for now I just wanna get a feel for what you want (smiles) you know where you imagine yourself

Seth: uh somewhere cold (points) or brisk I would-I would settle for brisk

Summer: I want three hundred an sixty five sundaes (raises eyebrows, nods, frowns) I don't mean the day after Saturday (shakes head)

Ryan: uhhhhh

Seth: not some place too big but not alotta sports (frowns) not alotta big guys playin sports (shakes head)

Summer: I definitely wanna join a sorority (screws up face) oh but I don't wanna learn Greek (shakes head)

Mrs. R: where are you thinking

Ryan: I don't know (raises eyebrows) I've-I've only lived in California (smiles)

Summer: Hawaii, Arizona

Seth: uh Boston, Connecticut, Vermont, Maine (raises eyebrows) Rhode Island or New Hampshire

Summer: ooo (unsure) do they have a college in Cabo (nods)

Ryan: (thinks) I'm not sure (Mrs. R looks at him) I-I guess this sounds like I haven't given it alotta thought but the truth'a the matter is (leans forward) I-I have uhh ill be the first in my family to graduate from High School led alone go to college, so...I mean this whole...its alot (nods)

(we see a wide sh*t of Ryan sitting in front of the desk)

CUT TO: Julie's condo - Kirsten and Julie are outside on the balcony together drinking coffee

Kirsten: (frowns) it's just so odd that Charlotte just up an left without so much as a phone call (looks at Julie)

Julie: well you know, her father called he said it was an emergency an (raises eyebrows) that's all she needed to hear

Kirsten: Julie she hasn't spoken to her father in years

Julie: well you know how it is with family one day your estranged next your bugs in a rug, but enough about Charlotte how are you

Kirsten: ugh, it's just I'm...I'm losing my mind at home I feel like...

(Kirsten notices that Julie isn't paying attention)

Kirsten: Julie are you even listening ta this

Julie: (looks at Kirsten) yes, of course

Kirsten: is there something you need to tell me

(Julie looks at Kirsten. we hear the doorbell)

Julie: excuse me (stands)

(Julie goes and answers the door. there is a woman standing there)

W: Miss Cooper (Julie looks at her) this is the last time I'm going to warn you, I need that rent cheque, ten thousand or this could get very ugly

Kirsten: is everything ok

Julie: (starts to shut door) I don't need any thanks (shuts door, looks at Kirsten) hello, I don't need any steak knives, you want some coffee cake

(Julie walks away and Kirsten looks confused as to what just happened)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Seth walks into the student lounge and Ryan is already in there. he's sitting on the couch with a coffee

Seth: hey man

Ryan: what's up

(Seth side jumps over the back of couch so he's sitting next to Ryan)

Seth: you gonna visit me in Providence next year (holds out brochures)

Ryan: (takes them) ooooh, goin'a Rhode Island

Seth: Brown, the University

Ryan: ah-huh

Seth: jus had a meeting with the councilor she said I had a very good sh*t at getting in because I'm awesome

Ryan: this your first choice

Seth: (looks at Ryan) dude it's my only choice, its liberal, its turtle neck weather an most importantly its three thousand miles away from here

Ryan: so it's safe ta say you're not applying to Berkeley (hands stuff back) you told your dad yet

Seth: Sandy Cohen's a perceptive guy I'm sure he'll figure it out

Ryan: Seth, you gotta tell him

Seth: (squints) dad I'm not applying to Berkeley...(points) where'd you get a g*n...why d'you have this g*n (Ryan laughs) (thinks) mmm mmm (shakes head) that doesn't have a good ring to it (Ryan looks at him) it doesn't have a good ring- fine...ill stop by after school an break it to him

Ryan: (raises eyebrows) at least you're goin to college

Seth: unlike a lanky lady friend of yours

Ryan: (sighs) yeah (raises eyebrows) an I don't get it I mean its (frowns) she's always wanted to go to college you know

Seth: well, you could talk to her (looks at Ryan) you could use your powers of persuasion

Ryan: yeah I don't have any (raises eyebrows) ever since I got back to Harbor its like I don't have a leg to stand on

(bell goes)

Seth: well then you need'a find somebody who does (hits Ryan's chest)

Ryan: right

Seth: (half stands on the couch) you need'a get yourself an ally

(Seth jumps over the couch, similar to how he got on it, lol)

Ryan: why're you doing that

Seth: I don't give a crap about the school I'm outta here (Ryan laughs)

(Seth goes to walk away but he stops and spits on the couch first. Seth leaves and Ryan sits there laughing, then he stops and pulls out his cell phone. we hear the beeps of dialing a number - we now see Summer and Taylor near the lockers. Summer shuts her locker and Taylor is standing there)

Taylor: (grins) Summer, feel my forehead

Summer: (looks at Taylor, raises eyebrows) what, why

Taylor: I have college fever (laughs) don't you

Summer: maybe, what are the symptoms you become incredibly annoying (raises eyebrows, walks away)

Taylor: (follows) Summer cheer up, you're just gonna love Arizona...oops

Summer: (frowns) how d'you know that I'm applying there

Taylor: I work in the college counseling office um I do alot of filing

Summer: oh an snooping (keeps walking)

Taylor: (follows) well I did notice that you an Seth are headed to opposite ends of the country, boo

Summer: no we have different tastes

Taylor: yeah apparently, he wants to go to Brown an you wanna go (condescendingly) some place sunny where kids drink till they vomit

Summer: (annoyed) Taylor, d'you have a point

Taylor: I'm just sad for you is all, you know I mean the long distance thing can be such a grind (Summer frowns) oo what am I talking about though I'm sure you an Seth have a whole plan worked out

Summer: a plan (closes eyes)

Taylor: yeah, well Seth wouldn't just skedaddle off to the east coast without so much as a thought ta your relationship, would he

Summer: no one is skedaddling anywhere yet, ok

Taylor: well if you two haven't even talked about this yet (Summer looks at her) my guess is there's stormy weather ahead, intimacy (rubs Summers shoulder) it's a tricky business

(Taylor walks away and Summer watches her)

CUT TO: Newport group - Sandy is unpacking a box in his office. he pulls out a photo frame and looks at it sentimentally. we hear the phone ring and see a close up of the photo frame in Sandy's hands. it is a photo of little Seth, about 6-8 years old I would say, and he is wearing a navy blue top that has BERKELEY on it in yellow. we hear a knock

Seth: dad

(Sandy moves the photo away and we see Seth standing in the door way. he waves)

Sandy: (looks, suprised) I didn't know you'd be droppin by today (puts frame down)

Seth: (walks in) yeah, well (rubs hands) you know had kind of a big day at school

Sandy: I know I know you had a meeting with your college councilor I'm dyin'a hear about it

Seth: well you know she said that I actually have alot of options

Sandy: well o'course you do, an whatever you decide, ill respect

Seth: (nods, points) good

Sandy: listen I'm just happy your even considering Berkeley (sits) (Seth nods unconvincingly) you are (raises eyebrows) I mean aren't you

Seth: yeah considering? sure

Sandy: great

Seth: yeah (nods)

Sandy: listen as long as it's still on the table (waves it off) I'm happy (shrugs)

Seth: mm mm (softly) yes, Berkeley, ok well I'm glad we got this all cleared up, I'm gonna see you back at the house

Sandy: oh (stands) oh ok, alright, you got it (points)

Seth: dad, good talk

Sandy: you, yep

(Seth leaves. Sandy watches him and then picks up the phone)

Sandy: hey Cheryl (picks up the photo) yeah will you get Paul Glass of Berkeley on the line for me (looks at photo)

CUT TO: Newport Union - Marissa is sitting by herself on a bench near the lockers looking out of it. Ryan walks over to her, he gently puts one hand on her back and the other over her eyes and smiles

Marissa: hey (smiles, leans back into Ryan's arms) thanks for coming to get me

(Ryan kisses Marissa's cheek. aww)

Ryan: not a problem (Marissa stands up to leave) hey whoa whoa, you wanna hang out for a minute (sits)

Marissa: what you just wanna enjoy the scenery

Ryan: (looks at Marissa) I wanted to talk to you about college

Marissa: look I already told you I'm not going

Ryan: I know I know you're not going, you made up your mind

(Johnny comes down the stairs)

Johnny: you could talk ta somebody (Marissa looks at him) sorry I sort of overheard what you were talkin about (shrugs) hey man what're you doin here

Ryan: I was tryin'a convice Marissa to see your guidance councilor

Johnny: oh Mitchell Davidson (looks at Marissa) he's a great guy

Ryan: that's what I hear

(Marissa looks from Johnny to Ryan)

Marissa: that's what you hear (Ryan looks down) (shrugs) from who

(Ryan looks from Marissa to Johnny and back to Marissa. Marissa looks at Johnny, Johnny smiles)

Marissa: (realises) oh my god, you guys planned this didn't you

Johnny: look we just...we didn't want you to do something you might regret

Marissa: so (raises eyebrows) you conspired to get me here (looks at Ryan) ta lecture me on what to do with my life

Ryan: no, come on it's not like that

Marissa: I mean I thought I could talk to you, I thought you were on my side

Ryan: I'm on your side (stands) you can trust me (moves closer to Marissa)

Marissa: (pulls away) just...leave me alone (leaves)

(Ryan and Johnny watch Marissa walk away upset. Ryan sighs)

CUT TO: Cohen bedroom, next morning - Sandy is on the phone and getting ready for work

Sandy: oh man it'll be great to see you (smiles) yeah that's right tomorrow night, ill see you then, alright Paul, bye (hangs up)

(Kirsten walks in)

Kirsten: who was that

Sandy: our old friend Paul Glass

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) Paul Glass as in Paul Glass from Berkeley

Sandy: uh well not from anymore, at he's workin there now (Kirsten looks at him) wh-what he called me (shrugs) (Kirsten smiles) besides Seth came by the office yesterday to talk colleges, he seems interested in Cal

Kirsten: as long as you don't pressure him

Sandy: no (shakes head) no pressure...a nudge, a fathers allowed to nudge

Kirsten: nudgings allowed but anymore than that an I will confiscate your Cal sweatshirt

Sandy: you wouldn't dare

Kirsten: try me (smiles) oh I gotta go I'm gonna try to make a Cardio Barre class

Sandy: Cardio Barre is crawlin with Newpsies how bored are you

Kirsten: well I thought id go cause Julie loves it an I thought it might cheer her up, lately she seems (thinks) not herself

Sandy: (looks at Kirsten) is that a bad thing (raises eyebrows)

Kirsten: (worried) I'm serious Sandy, she's keeping something from me

Sandy: well when it comes to Julie Cooper sometimes it's better not knowin

Kirsten: well (moves head side to side)

Sandy: (mumbles) you know whatever, lets go

Kirsten: mm

(Kirsten and Sandy leave together. him in his business suit and her in a cute little sporty outfit)

Sandy: very sporty

Kirsten: thankyou

(Kirsten puts her hand on Sandy's back)

CUT TO: The pool house - Seth is in there with Ryan. Ryan's getting organised for school

Seth: so how did it go with Marissa

Ryan: basically accused me an Johnny of ganging up on her an she stormed off

Seth: oh so it...went well

Ryan: I don't know, I guess it's to be expected, we'll all be splittin up next year, its bound to make everybody tense

Seth: ok but (points) why focus on the negative this is a cause for a celebration, we get ta finally leave Newport

Ryan: (frowns) well I'm not sure everybody sees that as somethin to celebrate

Seth: (holds hand out) what you wanna stay in Orange County forever, grow old playin golf an chatting about the NASDAQ

Ryan: no I'm jus sayin...you know maybe Newport isn't all evil

Seth: name me one thing (points) about Newport that isn't evil

(Summer and Marissa walk up together)

Ryan: I will name you two (aww)

Summer: Cohen, hi, you an me upstairs now

(Summer leaves)

Seth: (to Ryan) tell my parents I love em (Ryan smiles)

(Seth leaves. Marissa and Ryan move towards each other)

Ryan: how are you

Marissa: better, thanks (Ryan looks at her) look I'm sorry about yesterday

Ryan: I-I didn't mean ta...pressure you

Marissa: you know I realised after you were probably jus tryin'a help...sooo I made an appointment with the college guidance councilor

Ryan: alright, you did it

Marissa: I mean I can't promise anything (shrugs) but I'm gonna try (nods)

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Summer walks in followed by Seth. Summer stops and faces Seth

Summer: (holds up 2 sheets of paper) these are our college lists, do you see a difference

Seth: (takes sheets, looks) yeah the font looks like you went with the uh times new roman (nods)

Summer: (snatches sheets back) the schools doofus (upset) none of them are the same, none of them are even in the same time zone (frowns)

Seth: ok so you know you want west coast I want east coast (shakes head) it's not a hip hop w*r

Summer: we are gonna be separated by like a zillion billion miles, I was up all last night thinking about that

Seth: you were

Summer: (looks at Seth) you haven't even given this a second thought have you

Seth: w- uhh

(Summer closes her eyes and starts to leave)

Seth: Summer wait a second

Summer: (pulls away, upset) no too late Cohen

(Summer leaves and slams the door behind her. the bang makes Seth flinch)

CUT TO: Julie's condo - Julie is out the front carrying a Luis Vuitton bag to an open u-haul which already has some of her stuff inside it. she throws the bag in with the rest and pulls the roller door shut. a woman in the background watches her

W: Julie (Julie stands) your leaving us already

Julie: uh...well you know I was only staying here temporarily I'm-I'm renovating my place in Balboa Estates, couldn't stand the racket

W: (laughs) you-you live in the Balboa Estates an you drive your own u-haul

Julie: I'm jus keepin it real (smiles) well gotta go see ya round (pointed) 3F

(the woman heads back over to her front door. Julie goes to the front of the u-haul. we see Kirsten pull up in the range rover and watch as Julie gets in. she starts it up and drives a little way before it stalls, after a few seconds it starts moving again. Kirsten starts following just as the u-haul turns a corner)

CUT TO: Harbor school - Summer is in the guidance councilor's office. there are other kids in there now

Summer: Mrs. Rushfield (Mrs. R looks up) hi, I wanted to um read up on a school...Brown (Mrs. R looks suprised) I know it's a major (raises eyebrows) reach but it doesn't hurt to look right

Mrs. R: of course, let me just get the file for you

Summer: thanks

(Mrs. R looks it up on the computer)

Mrs. R: hmm, that's ben checked out

(Taylor comes over holding a large folder with Brown written on the spine)

Taylor: here you go (hands folder to Mrs. R)

Mrs. R: oh

(Summer looks at Taylor)

Mrs. R: this is just what we were looking for (Summer looks at Taylor) thankyou Taylor (hands folder to Summer) here you go (leaves)

Taylor: (laughs, folds arms) your applying to Brown

Summer: maybe

(Summer looks as though Taylor is making her feel inferior)

Taylor: well I'm sure they would just love to have you, I hear the Ivy's often recruit from Fred Segal

Summer: (indignantly) I can get inta Brown if I want to

Taylor: of course you can (Summer looks at her, then down) an on the off chance that you don't you can always come an visit (Summer looks at her) Seth an I will show you around (grins smugly)

(Summer raises her eyebrows and looks down sadly)

CUT TO: Newport Union - Marissa is sitting in front of Mitchell's desk AKA the guidance councilor. he is looking at Marissa's file

Mitchell: you have the grades, lots of activities, my guess is (looks at Marissa) you'll be fine

Marissa: (looks at Mitchell) except...I'm not sure I wanna go

Mitchell: I'm sorry Marissa I'm (laughs) I'm a little confused, what're we doing here (Marissa looks at him) ...does this have anything to do with uh what happened to you over the summer (Marissa looks away) I read about it...in your file

Marissa: ...it's just...id have to explain it, wouldn't I

Mitchell: well, on the applications yes, you will have'ta say why you were expelled, but if it means getting inta College, seems like a small price to pay

Marissa: (sighs) I've just spent all this time (raises eyebrows) trying to forget about it...an you know if I had'ta dredge it up again (raises eyebrows) I don't know if I could handle it...

Mitchell: I get it...that's a...tough skeleton to have in your closet (Marissa looks at him) but if you want my advice...write about it, see what comes out

Marissa: uh that's exactly what I don't wanna do

Mitchell: Marissa (leans forward) you cant run away from your past, so...before you let it ruin your future...you might try learning to live with it

(Marissa looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Julie in the u-haul - she stops the u-haul and has an almost disgusted look on her face. she gets out and walks to the back. as Julie is opening the roller door we see a wide sh*t of where she is. it looks like a small trailer park. we can see a broken aerial lying on the ground surrounded by leaves and in the background we can see Julie at the u-haul. a guy goes over to the trailer that Julie is parked at. Julie struggles with 2 of her bags then looks up and sees the guy

Julie: oh excuse me, could I get a little help over here

Gus: (looks at Julie) I aint no bell man lady

Julie: how charming, I take it you're my landlord

Gus: yeah, I'm Gus, welcome to the Taj Mahal (smiles)

(Julie stops and looks at the trailer. she sighs and puts one of the bags down)

Julie: (sighs, closes eyes) can't believe I'm back here

Gus: you lived here before (frowns)

Julie: I'm speaking figuratively, truth is...I moved out of a place like this when I was eighteen I never...thought id be back

Gus: yeah, well, when I was a kid I wanted to be wide receiver for the Chargers (raises eyebrows) (Julie blinks) sometimes life don't work out

(we now see the range rover pull up at the trailer park. Kirsten stops the car and we can see Julie on the verandah of the trailer. she puts down one of the bags and sighs, then opens the door. Kirsten watches for a few seconds then looks away, worried)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - I just have to mention over this scene the incredible song Open Invitation by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club plays, it fits the scene perfectly. ok the first thing we see is a close up of a laptops keyboard and fingers over the keys, the N key is pressed. the sh*t changes and we can see that it is Marissa sitting in front of the laptop, and she is staring at the screen. she puts her hand on her head and then we see what is on the screen, along the top it says GAPS IN EDUCATION/EXPULS underneath that is a white square, and next to it the words "Check this box, if, for any" underneath that is "expelled. PLEASE EX" and then underneath that is a big white square where Marissa has typed "I was involved in". we can now see Marissa again, she takes her hand off her head and closes her eyes.

flashback of: Trey trying to kiss Marissa, and then him throwing her down on the sand hard

Marissa frowns, upset at the images she is remebering

flash of: Trey on top of Marissa, she has a terrifed look on her face

Marissa puts her hand on her head and leans forward, after a few seconds she pushes her hair behind her ear and then slowly opens her eyes, she looks at the screen again. we can now see more of the writing as the sh*t pans across "EXPULSIONS" "for any reason during attending" "PLEASE EXPLAIN BELOW:" Marissa puts her hand up to her mouth and stares helplessly at the screen

flash of: Marissa drinking alcohol at the lifeguard tower by herself, then of Marissa and Ryan kissing in each others arms in front of the outdoor fireplace, then of Jimmy smiling, dressed in a suit

Marissa rubs her hand over her mouth

flash of: a bruised and beaten Jimmy kissing Marissa goodbye on the forehead, then of Marissa hugging a stunned Julie after she finds out Jimmy isn't going to re-marry her, then of Ryan's choking face with Treys hands around his neck

Marissa takes her hand away from her mouth, closes her eyes and then opens them again

flash of: Ryan still being choked by Trey

Marissa sits back in the chair and sighs upset

flash of: Marissa struggling to get Trey off of her on the beach, then of Trey whispering near her ear

Marissa runs her hand down her face, with her eyes closed

flash of: when Trey holds Ryan's head off the floor by his hair

we see a close up of Marissa's pained face, she closes her eyes again

flash of: Treys wife beater and the blood from the b*llet wound dripping

we see another close up Marissa's face, she is staring dazed, and pushes her hair behind her ear

flash of: Trey straightening up so the blood is running down him now, not dripping

we see another close up Marissa's face, she is becoming more upset and agitated, she closes her eyes tightly then puts her hand over her face with her head down. she closes her mouth as if trying to calm herself down

flash of: Treys bloody face looking at Marissa, stunned

we see another close up of Marissa with her eyes now wide open

flash of: a different angle of Trey, he's leaning over so that you can clearly see his bloody mouth

Marissa runs both hands down her face, quickly opens her eyes and holds her hands at her chin

flash of: the exact moment Marissa fires the g*n

we see another close up of Marissa's anguished face

flash of: the moment the b*llet goes through Trey

at this moment it all gets too much for Marissa to handle and she screams and pushes everything in front of her to the floor, including the laptop she was trying to write on. she still has her eyes closed. she picks up a few things that didn't get pushed off and throws them hard, with a groan. we then see a close up of her face. she pushes her hair back away from her face and puts her hand over her mouth upset. she sits back down on the chair and moves her hand away, now crying. aww. after a few seconds she puts her hand back over her eyes then pushes one side of her hair back, still crying. she looks completely worn out and vulnerable)

{I just have to say Mischa did a hell of a job with this scene, I believed every second of it, and It felt so real, and of course song choice helped make the scene so much more powerful. and the way the flash backs were mixed in with Marissa's break down was unbelievable}

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - we see Sandy walk in. Kirsten is standing at the bench and Seth and Ryan are sitting at the table together

Sandy: everyone's here, perfect, hey a college buddy'a mine Paul Glass is in town I invited him over for dinner tonight

Kirsten: (looks at Sandy) an what brings Paul to town

Sandy: oh something ta do with work

Kirsten: something for Berkeley

Seth: (looks up from reading) your friend works at Berkeley (Ryan looks at him)

Sandy: it's not what you think

Seth: (frowns) you mean an ambush

Sandy: a resource, you guys might enjoy talkin to him

Ryan: (screws up face) sounds like an ambush (smiles)

(Sandy looks at Kirsten. Kirsten looks at Sandy)

Sandy: its dinner (points) they have'ta eat

CUT TO: Summers house - Johnny and Dennis walk up to the front door. Johnny rings the doorbell and Marissa answers the door

Marissa: (suprised) hey (goes out, shuts door) what're you guys doin here

Dennis: PacWest surf contest (smiles) today's the day, remember

Marissa: oh, you know, that's ok (Johnny looks at her) (shrugs) I don't wanna be a downer

Johnny: why, what's up (touches Marissa's arm)

(inside Summer, holding her laptop, goes to walk up the stairs and she sees Johnny with his hand on Marissa's arm, you can't see Dennis through the door)

Marissa: (heard in the background) I tried to write this essay for school an it didn't-

(Summer looks worried and goes upstairs)

Marissa: if I can't write the essay you know I may as well forget about College

Dennis: (shrugs) so forget it, come on tour with us

Marissa: (looks at Dennis) what

Johnny: that's not a bad idea, you know travel the world give yourself some time to think

(Marissa looks from Johnny to Dennis and back to Johnny)

Marissa: are you serious

Johnny: look, maybe you jus need'a take the pressure off, you know give yourself some time, why not do it in Fiji (Marissa looks at him) jus come to the contest today see what you think

(Marissa looks from Johnny to Dennis, thinking)

Marissa: (gives in) alright (smiles) give me five minutes

(Marissa goes back inside. Johnny and Dennis wait - we then see Marissa coming into Summers room. Summer is lying on her bed using her laptop. Marissa goes to the closet and grabs a top)

Summer: hey

Marissa: (looks over) hey

Summer: was that Johnny an dog boy downstairs

Marissa: yeah. Johnny's got this uh big surf contest today, I'm gonna go support him (puts on top)

Summer: oh, what about your essay, you know you can use my computer just be gentle with it

Marissa: yeah...that...might be put off for a while (fixes top)

Summer: what're you talking about

(Marissa looks at Summer. Summer raises her eyebrows as if to say "well")
CUT TO: Yacht Club - we see Julie walk in, she goes over to Kirsten who is already sitting at a table with a drink

Julie: hello (sits)

Kirsten: mm (swallows) hey Julie (smiles) glad you were free

Julie: oh well I cant stay long, did I tell you I'm moving, its such a hassle but the new place its beautiful

Kirsten: well then ill get right to it...how would you like to go inta business together

Julie: (suprised) what

Kirsten: well, think about it, the magazine the fundraiser, we'd make a good team

Julie: Kirsten...I don't need your charity

Kirsten: (looks at Julie) then...why are you living in a trailer (Julie looks shocked) I-I'm sorry, I followed you yesterday

Julie: (looks down, embarrassed) well then I certainly hope your opening a detective agency

Kirsten: its not charity, I'm going crazy doing nothing, I need this

Julie: (looks at Kirsten) well...if you need it I guess

(Kirsten smiles at Julie. Julie smiles back)

Kirsten: just one thing, if we're gonna be partners I need to know what happened to Charlotte (Julie looks stunned) she cant be with her dad she hates her dad...oh god she didn't relapse did she

(Julie looks at Kirsten, thinking. Kirsten looks at Julie frowning)

Julie: ...no she couldn't because she's not an alcoholic

Kirsten: uh what're you talking about

Julie: (closes eyes) oh Kirsten I never wanted to tell you this (Kirsten listens) Charlotte...went ta rehab to find a...rich vulnerable woman she could exploit...she's a con artist, I'm so sorry

Kirsten: (confused) but the fundraiser (raises eyebrows)

Julie: (nods) a scam, she was planning on taking that money with her, but I stopped her at the last minute

Kirsten: (looks at Julie) oh my god (Julie looks at her) you were in on it

Julie: Kirsten

(Kirsten leans down and grabs her bag)

Julie: Kirsten let me explain

(Kirsten leaves, dazed. Julie sits there helplessly)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - Summer opens the door and Seth is standing there. Summer notices that he is carrying a bag with him

Summer: what is it Cohen

Seth: we need'a talk (walks in) I brought visual aid (empties bag on the bed)

Summer: (looks at the bed, frowns) boarding school stuff

(we see what Summer is seeing which is a whole heap of brochures and things, including one with Choate written on it)

Seth: my entire life I have wanted to get as far away from Newport as possible an the only reason I didn't...is because Ryan came (points) an you started talking to me an I'm very glad I stayed (Summer folds her arms) but...now I have'ta go

Summer: fine, I get it, but what's your plan for us (Seth raises his eyebrows) emails, phone calls see each other once every two months

Seth: or (walks into ribbons hanging down which throws him, lol) or you could come with me

Summer: no (gets on the bed) look you've always wanted ta go east, I've always wanted to stay west

Seth: well but don't you think that may-

Summer: but what, my dreams are not as important as yours

Seth: Summer I'm tryin'ta make this work (Summer looks at him) I feel like your jus writing this off (Summer raises her eyebrows) you don't see Ryan an Marissa givin up

Summer: ...not yet anyway

Seth: what'does that mean

(Summer looks at Seth and goes to start talking)

CUT TO: The beach - we see a sh*t of the water from underneath, it's gorgeous. you can see the sun shining through and a surfer on his surfboard. we then see a few different sh*ts of surfers out in the waves. then a whole crowd of people standing on the sand, there are different coloured flags set up. we then see 2 girls sun-baking and finally surfers running to the water holding their surfboards. Marissa is standing on the sand watching them. Johnny and Dennis head over to Marissa

Dennis: you don't have'ta go try an be a big hero, I'm tellin you man, there is no shame in playing it safe (points) Marissa tell him

Marissa: (turns around) tell him what

Dennis: the rest of our lives, Costa Rica, Fiji Hawaii it-all rides-on-today

Johnny: (nods) way ta take the pressure off me (Dennis grins)

Marissa: hey, you're gonna be great out there

Johnny: thanks, gotta get to the staging area, see you guy's later (leaves)

Dennis: bye (points)

Marissa: so, is this what next years gonna be like, just...hanging out on the beach watching Johnny surf

Dennis: (shrugs) that an scorin hot foreign babes

Marissa: (nods, raises eyebrows) great

Dennis: by the way I forgot to tell you, I talked to some people that I know, they think they can get you a job as a label rep for the tour

Marissa: (suprised) wow

Dennis: yeah, so if your serious about it, let me know, ill make it happen

(Dennis walks away, Marissa watches him and then looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: Cohen foyer - Seth comes through the front door and Ryan comes down the stairs

Ryan: hey man

Seth: hi (goes over to the stairs)

Ryan: what's up, everything alright

(Seth drops the bag sighs dramatically and sits down on the stairs)

Seth: (dramatically) you would think that we could deal with next year...I don't know next year but no its gotta screw up this year too

Ryan: yeah Marissa an I have some'a that too

Seth: yeah (looks at Ryan) by the way have you spoken to her today

Ryan: no I was on my way ta...see if she wanted'a grab lunch (frowns) why

Seth: (motions) have a seat I don't wanna tell you this standin up

(Ryan looks at Seth and then goes to sit down)

CUT TO: The diner- through the window we see Taylor walking up. she walks in and goes over to Summers booth and sits down across from her

Summer: thanks for coming Taylor

Taylor: well it was no problem at all Summer

Summer: I jus wanna uh talk to you about next year-

Taylor: well first of all let me just say that where I apply to College is frankly none of your business (Summer looks at her) and if some of those schools happen ta cross with Seth's well-

Summer: Taylor, shut up ok (Taylor looks at her) you can have him (Taylor looks confused) go ta Brown or wherever you smart people go, he's yours (nods)

Taylor: (laughs) this is a ploy (points) isn't it

Summer: no, its life, he's going to Rhode Island an I'm going to Arizona (raises eyebrows)

Taylor: I-I well I just thought you guys would do the whole long distance thing

Summer: please an struggle along, break up at Thanksgiving an hook up at Christmas an then break up again in January when we're both back at school

Taylor: (frowns) but you could still apply to a school near to him

Summer: could you imagine me on the east coast (frowns) id be like one'a those animals that they rip from their natural habitat an put in the zoo (screws up face) my fur would get all mangy, id throw dung at people it'd be awful

Taylor: ah-huh, you know I'm almost offended that you think I would believe that sort of idiotic lie

(Summer nods, Taylor looks at her)

Summer: you want the truth Taylor (Taylor looks at her) what if he goes to college an meets a bunch of really smart, an interesting girls an realises that that's who he's spose'ta be with

Taylor: (nods) an that uh your just his High School girlfriend (Summer looks down, almost sadly) cute your fun to be with but um...doesn't want his kids ta have your DNA (smiles)

Summer: (softly) yeah (puts money on the table) maybe we should just end it, you know

Taylor: Summer

Summer: (sadly) you be nice to him ok

(Summer leaves and Taylor looks as though she's thinking)

CUT TO: The beach - we see some surfers coming out of the water, the crowd cheering and then Dennis, Marissa and Johnny heading over to the jeep

Dennis: that was so awesome

Marissa: yeah you were amazing

Johnny: yeah I caught some great waves

Dennis: oooh an modest, I'm gonna go see when there announcin the teams (walks down the beach)

(Johnny puts his surfboard in the back)

Johnny: I'm gonna call my mom, let her know how I did, she's workin up at San Jose this weekend

(Marissa nods and Johnny dials. we see Johnny on the phone and in the background Ryan pulls up. he gets out and doesn't look happy. Marissa sees him and Ryan walks over to her)

Marissa: hey

Ryan: hey, heard you were here

Marissa: yeah Johnny was competing

Ryan: what's goin on, last night you say you wanna go to college an now you're...you're doin this

Marissa: Ryan, I tried ta write the essay (shakes head) I-I couldn't

Ryan: ok well ill help you

Marissa: no I really don't think you can (Ryan looks at her)

Johnny: hey, Ryan (smiles) thanks for comin man

(Ryan looks at Johnny then away. Marissa looks at Johnny. Johnny looks from Marissa to Ryan)

Johnny: what's up

Ryan: did'you tell Marissa she should blow off college

Marissa: of course not

Ryan: ok then explain what your doin here (Marissa looks at him)

Johnny: dude no offense but... maybe you jus don't understand what she's goin through

(Ryan looks at Johnny as if to you say "you've gotta be kidding me" Marissa looks down)

Ryan: (to Marissa) is that what you think

Marissa: no ok, I think it's complicated

(we now see the the stage where the surf teams are announced. the crowd in front of it is clapping and cheering etc)

Guy: (in mic) what's up everybody

(we see Dennis in the crowd, waiting to hear. he's jumping up and down excitedly)

Guy: yeah, alright we're about to announce this years PacWest surf team but before we do that lets give it up for the surfers out there huh

(Dennis runs to get Johnny)

Dennis: (calls) Johnny!

(we see Johnny, Marissa and Ryan standing by the jeep. Ryan doesn't look happy)

Dennis: (off screen) Johnny!

Johnny: hey look can we talk about this later

Ryan: you know what, you two talk I'm done (leaves)

Dennis: (jumps, waves) Johnny!

(Johnny looks at Dennis, Marissa starts to follow Ryan)

Johnny: (stops Marissa) no wait

(Marissa stops and looks at Johnny)

Dennis: (calls) Johnny!

(Johnny looks at Dennis again, torn. Marissa starts walking)

Johnny: ill get him

Dennis: (off screen) Johnny!

Johnny: (runs, calls) Ryan

(out of nowhere a car makes a sharp turn and hits Johnny as he heads over to Ryan. he hits the windscreen hard and rolls off the top of the car, into the air and then lands on the ground)

Marissa: (yells) Johnny!

(Marissa and Ryan both run to Johnny. Dennis watches stunned)

Guy: Johnny Harper, Johnny Harper where are you

(we see the person in the car get out, and then Johnny lying face down on the ground. Ryan runs over to him and Marissa stands there stunned. Ryan looks up at Marissa and then back down at Johnny's bloody and grazed face)

Ryan: (yells) somebody call an ambulance

(Ryan touches Johnny's head and one of his arms)

CUT TO: The hospital - we see a plaque that says VISITING HOURS. around the corner from that we can see Dennis, Marissa and Ryan sitting in the waiting room. Dennis has his feet up on the chair next to him. Ryan looks over at Marissa, Marissa glances at him and then looks away. Ryan looks down

(a woman in blue scrubs comes over)

W: were you all with Johnny Harper

Dennis: yeah (stands) he's gonna be ok right

W: uh, does he have a parent here

Marissa: um his moms flying in from San Jose, how is he

W: lucky (nods) the only real damage is to his knee, there's been a clean tear of the ACL, some bone damage, he's gonna require surgery

Dennis: when's he gonna be able to surf again

W: I'm less worried about him surfing than when he's gonna walk again

(we see close ups of Dennis, Marissa and Ryan's worried faces)

W: he'll be awake in an hour if you wanna see him

(Dennis puts his hands on his head. Marissa looks at him)

Dennis: (leaves) I can't deal with this

(Ryan and Marissa look at each other)

Ryan: it's my fault, he was comin after me when he got hit

Marissa: Ryan lets not do this now ok (Ryan looks at her) (softly) but you should probably go (Ryan frowns) Sandy'll be wondering where you are

(Ryan looks at Marissa. Marissa looks at Ryan)

Marissa: (points) I think I should go find Chili

Ryan: (nods) ill call you

(Ryan watches Marissa walk away)

CUT TO: Cohen kitchen - Kirsten and Seth are at the bench preparing the food. Seth is cutting up bread. Sandy walks in with Paul Glass

Sandy: (smiles) Kirsten, look who I found

Paul: oh I heard this is where Newport's newest culinary talent lives (hugs Kirsten)

Kirsten: ooh Paul its good to see you (Paul smiles)

Paul: hey

Sandy: an you remember Seth (points)

Paul: (shakes Seth's hands) oh sure last time I saw you were in a Berkeley onesie

Seth: oh (to Sandy) thankyou for that

Sandy: why don't you run upstairs, put it on (smiles)

(Seth isn't amused. Ryan comes in)

Sandy: and uh oh an here's-here's Ryan (points) Paul Glass

Ryan: hi

Paul: Ryan (shakes Ryan's hand) nice to meet you

Kirsten: uh Seth why don't you grab the bread an then we can all go outside

Seth: sure (to Paul) uh after you

(Paul walks in front of Kirsten and Seth, and then they follow behind him)

Sandy: so how's your friend

Ryan: I think he's gonna be ok, at least I hope

Sandy: good good, what'do you say we get somethin'a eat (touches Ryan's arm)

Ryan: yeah

(Ryan takes a plate and starts heading outside)

CUT TO: Summers bedroom - we hear a knock at the door and Summer opens it. Taylor is standing there. Summer notices that she's holding a bag like Seth was

Summer: what is it with people showing up with bags

Taylor: I bought you something (walks in)

(Taylor puts the bag down on the bed. Summer stands at the side of the bed with her arms folded. Taylor pulls out a sweatshirt with PROVIDENCE printed on it, and then another article of clothing but I can't tell what that is)

Summer: Providence College (frowns)

Taylor: it has good Catholic values, admission standards a little more in your wheelhouse and uh best of all its...twenty minutes from Brown (looks at Summer)

Summer: (touched) Taylor

Taylor: look Summer...who knows what's gonna happen in the future but for right now Seth loves you an your not even giving him a chance

Summer: why are you doing this

Taylor: I figured Brown was uh a little Vanity Fair for my taste an now I'm considering the Sorbonne

Summer: no I mean (laughs) why...are you being so nice (sits on the bed)

Taylor: ...well pathetic as it sounds you an Seth are pretty much my best friends (Summer looks at her) and uh...lets face it I never really had a sh*t with him (shakes head)

Summer: (closes eyes) Taylor we are your friends (nods)

Taylor: (laughs) really (Summer nods) um because I jus got Kieslowski's Decalogue on DVD an like (excited) I don't know I don't know if your inta Polish cinema but maybe you could come over an we could have like a sleep over marathon an (stops) (Summer slightly shakes her head) no, sorry, ok (laughs)

(Taylor grabs her bag and goes to leave. Summer watches her)

Taylor: keep in touch Summer (nods)

(Taylor leaves and Summer looks down, thinking)

CUT TO: Cohen backyard - Paul, Sandy, Kirsten, Seth & Ryan are all sitting around the table together

Paul: so anyway it was Halloween an I set Sandy up with a roommate of this girl that I was dating

Sandy: I didn't have a costume (Kirsten smiles) so when I went to pick her up I...I put a bag over my head

Kirsten: I felt like I was dating the elephant man (looks at Ryan/Seth)

Seth: oooh uh (unamused)

Paul: you know supposedly something like fifty percent (Kirsten and Sandy smile at each other) of people meet their future mates in college (looks at Ryan/Seth) you two...have girlfriends

(Ryan and Seth look at each other. Ryan doesn't know what to say, lol)

Seth: uhhh

Paul: um..?

Sandy: yes

(phone rings)

Kirsten: uh, I'm gonna get that (stands)

Paul: sure

Seth: I don't know anymore...

Ryan: me either

Paul: alright so what'do you call a black guy who fly's a plane

(Sandy looks at Ryan/Seth. Ryan looks at Seth)

Seth: uhhhh

Paul: a pilot you freakin r*cist

(Sandy laughs, Paul laughs. Ryan and Seth just look at them - inside Kirsten goes to grab the phone, we hear the answering machine)

Msg:

Kirsten: hey its the Cohen's we can't come to the phone right now so leave us a message, thanks (beep)

(Kirsten looks at the phone and listens)

Julie: Kirsten it's me...look I know you probably never wanna see me again I just...wanted to say I'm sorry again (Kirsten listens) after everything you've done you...you deserve a better friend than me (beep)

(Kirsten closes her eyes and looks down - back outside Sandy and Paul are still laughing with each other. Kirsten walks back up to the table)

Kirsten: oh, I'm sorry uh I have'ta run, it was really good to see you Paul (shakes Paul's hand)

Paul: yeah it was great ta see you too

Sandy: (worried) is everything ok

Kirsten: oh it's fine, ill be back in a half an hour

(Kirsten walks down the stairs as Summer is walking up)

Kirsten: oh Summer (Seth looks over)

Summer: hi (hopeful) I was um hoping that I could talk to Seth

Seth: excuse me (stands)

Kirsten: (in the background) oh sure he's-he's right over there

(Seth jumps down the stairs. Ryan looks at Paul, Paul looks from Ryan to Sandy, Sandy looks at Paul)

Sandy: an then there were three

CUT TO: Seth's bedroom - Summer walks in and Seth follows her

Seth: oh thank you, if I had'ta listen to one more Berkeley anecdote (shakes head)

(Summer shuts the door, she's carrying a bag, lol)

Summer: c'mere

(Summer puts the bag down on Seth's bed and pulls out the cutest winter hat)

Summer: how does this go (puts hat on Seth's head)

Seth: ok it's not that cold but

Summer: (picks up another winter hat) nope, I wanna see what we are going'ta look like next year (puts hat on